2016 News Archive
Links are not maintained in the Archive.
Adventure Cycling Interactive Network Map
"...The Adventure Cycling Route Network map is for planning purposes only. The Adventure Cycling route overlays are rough..." more
How Cities Embraced Biking & Walking in 2016
"...While the U.S. is still a few years away from prioritizing people over cars, there were lots of inspiring moments this year that suggest the country is well on its way..." more
Heather Gentry named 2016 Person of the Year
WI - "Today, the stay-at-home mother of two in Allouez is the president and founder of the Green Bay Bicycle Collective..." more
BikeCleveland 2016 Accomplishments & 2017 Plans
Cleveland, OH - "...New on-street bike facilities, the roll out of the 250 unit UHBike bike share system and adoption of a city-wide safe routes to school travel plan are just some of our accomplishments this year..." more
Police Powerless to act after Dad Tracks Down Bike Thief
AUS - "When David Frearson saw a man riding his nine-year-old son's stolen new mountain bike and tracked him to a block of units, he held high hopes of retrieving the treasured gift." more...
Why are so Many Peds Being Killed on our Roads?
Toronto, CAN - "46 pedestrians were killed by cars in The City of Toronto, where I live, in 2016 so far, the worst carnage since 2003..." more
- VA: Norfolk Southern easement clears path for greenway extension
- NH: Hampton-to-Portsmouth rail trail could make headway in 2017
- IN: Land trust purchases 46 acres along White River
- PA: ANF proposes opening up some hiking trails to mountain biking
- OK: Cherokee Nation donates $10K to Rogers County bicycle trail
- NC: Guilford College students learn sustainable trails
- WA: Pearl Jam charity donates $25K to Ferry County Rail Trail
Homeless Evicted for Freedom Trail Construction
Akron, OH - "An estimated 50 homeless men and women were notified by Summit Metro Parks they must move out of their camps by Jan. 7 to clear the way for construction of the park's Freedom Trail." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Man Charged in Death of MTB Pioneer
"The mountain bike Hall of Famer disappeared mysteriously from his Colorado home in 2009. Police finally have charged someone with his killing." more...
How a Bike Mayor Can Change a City
"A bridge between cyclists and city hall, Amsterdam's chief bike advocate plans to take her talents abroad in 2017." more...
Bike Production Rolling Back to U.S.
"After decades of offshoring, established bicycle brands and entrepreneurs are bringing bicycle manufacturing back to the United States as overseas costs rise and companies realize the value of 'local for local' production." more...
- TX: Brownsville Bridge Restoration Part of $3 Million Hike-and-Bike Trail
- MO: Outdoor recreation enjoyed banner year in Missoula
- WA: Convention Center expansion should help build major bike network crossroads
Bike Park Enters Design Phase
Lebanon, OH - "A group of Lebanon residents is about to begin planning the transformation of the city's former landfill into a dirt-track bike park." more...
A Cyclist's Thanks for New Ohio Law
"...In the past four years, I've ridden my bicycle 35,000 miles, mostly around southwest Ohio. I'm glad the state has just made it the law that motorists must give three feet of clearance when passing cyclists." more...
2016 a Great Year for Bicycle Friendly America Program
"What a year it's been for the Bicycle Friendly America program! With 2016 coming to a close, now is a great time to celebrate the accomplishments of our flagship advocacy campaign." more...
Bike Networks with Only Trails, is Like a Car Network with Only Freeways
"...Greenways remain an important endeavor to link our region and provide recreational opportunities, but as recognized by a growing number of cities, on-street protected bikeways are much more effective at providing transportation options and connecting a city." more...
- GA: Coroner IDs Woman Found Dead on Riverwalk
- WA: Work to build regional trail encouraging
- TX: New hike, bike trail set to open Tuesday
- CT: Bike-lane backers ask council to fund study
- LA: Downtown Baton Rouge trail system
- CAN: Cycling accidents up more than a third in Moncton
Wasson Way Construction to Begin June 1
Cincinnati, OH - "The first phase of construction of a nearly eight-mile bike path in Cincinnati is set to begin June 1, project organizers have announced." more...
Designated Bike Route in Scioto County
Scioto County, OH - "...the route is from the bridge on Mackletree Road Bridge in Shawnee State Forest to the Otway Covered Bridge which is about 40 miles round trip." more...
New CVNP Visitor Center to Open in 2019
CVNP, OH - "Cuyahoga Valley National Park will open a new Visitor Center to help orient guests and connect them to the park's amenities such as the Ohio & Erie Canalway Towpath Trail and Brandywine Falls." more...
Juries Side with Injured Cyclists
Seattle, WA - "Juries in two separate cases that concluded in recent weeks awarded large sums to people injured while biking in Seattle." more...
Bikers Brings Benefits for Motorists
"Studies show more biking and bike-friendly policies reduce auto traffic, accidents." more...
- ND: Committee close to fundraising goal for shared-use bike path
- CAN: Some seniors praising controversial Biketoria plan
Extending the Western Reserve Greenway to Lake Erie
Ashtabula, OH - "A historic agreement between Ashtabula County Metroparks and the City of Ashtabula caps the first phase of a process that could extend the Western Reserve Greenway Trail to Ashtabula Harbor and Lake Erie..." more
Projects Continue at Bicentennial Commons
- GA: Work on Sugar Hill Greenway project to start in the new year
- WI: DOT, county plan for St. Croix Crossing loop trail
Cyclists Are Winning Commuting
"They're more likely than drivers, walkers, and straphangers to get to work on time and feeling good." more...
Forest Service Proposing Shared Use Trail at Tracy Ridge
PA - "The U.S. Forest Service has released its environmental assessment and proposed action for Tracy Ridge on the Allegheny National Forest -- a shared use hiking and biking trail for 12.5 miles of the 34-mile trail system." more...
Lorry Drivers Made to Ride Bikes on London Roads
UK - "More than 1,500 drivers of vans and lorries in London have been put through a day of training to make them more aware of how cyclists on the roads feel." more...
Cleveland Way National Trail On Google Street View
UK - "Volunteers have spent months capturing footage along the Cleveland Way National Trail to give access via computer screens to 360-degree views all along the route's full 109-mile length." more...
- VA: The path to fitness
- IN: Muncie finishes 'Complete Street' project
- VA: Newport News multipurpose path could be ready by December 2017
- AZ: Continental School to join county bicycling program
DIY Bike Lanes as a Form of Activism
"Meet the shadowy group that's arguably outpacing San Francisco when it comes to protected bike lanes." more...
- WA: Projects aim to boost Columbia County
- CO: Bike repair station installed on Horse Gulch Trail
- NC: State to convert rail line to trail
- FL: New map helps bicyclists find safe routes through Palm Beach County
Van Wert Park District Seeking Funds for Bike Path
Van Wert, OH - "The Van Wert Park District is conducting a fundraising campaign with the goal of raising $100,000 for maintenance and capital improvements of the Van Wert Recreational Trail." more...
Runners to Get Their Own Lane on the Lakefront Trail
Chicago, IL - "...On a busy summer weekend, more than 100,000 people pack the 18 miles of the Chicago Lakefront Trail, all moving at different speeds." more...
Trials Show Uber's Self-Driving Cars Pose Threat to Cyclists
"Backlash from San Francisco cyclists, and a lack of permits, prompts Uber to move tests of its driverless cars from California to Arizona." more...
Is Cycling Safe?
"Do our perceptions about the relative safety of bicycling, driving, motorcycling, transit, and walking match the available data?" more...
- KS: Heritage trail planned to mark Topeka landmarks
- NY: A year of folly on rails vs. trail
- CAN: Montreal Cyclists Say a Bike Commute Is the Best Way to Go
Oxford's New Trail Could Impact Businesses
Oxford, OH - "A recreational trail encircling Oxford has been a dream of many in the community for a long time..." more
Medina Parks May Take Over Brunswick Lake
Brunswick, OH - "...If the transfer should take place, Brunswick Lake Park would become part of the Medina County Park system..." more
Mom Fined By Police for Vigilante Traffic Calming
"Frustrated with speeding drivers on her street, San Antonio mom Kristi Flanagan posted a homemade sign that said 'Drive like your kids live here.' But motorists ignored it." more...
- CA: Safety is a 'red herring' to block bike access
- CO: All in for the long ride
- IL: State grants to help extend Kickapoo Rail Trail
- MA: 5 Projects that will change biking in the Boston Area
New Visitor Center & Trail Funding for CVNP
Akron, OH - "...the Conservancy received a $100,000 grant from the S.L. Gimbel Foundation Fund of the California-based Community Foundation. The grant will fund completion of the East Rim mountain bike trail, as well as a sustainability assessment and restoration of existing trails." more...
UH Bikes Here to Help You Ride This Winter
Cleveland, OH - "...The thinking is that once you're outside more often, riding your bike in the cold might not seem like such an insurmountable hurdle..." more
Uber Bike Lane Snafu Appears Unique to SF
"Pittsburgh officials say it hasn't come up in their city." more...
San Fran Gets its First Protected Intersection
CA - "...San Franciscans may now enjoy the city's first protected intersection, navigating curb-protected bike lanes, raised crosswalks, and new sidewalks to overhaul a confusing intersection with a history of crashes..." more
Old Rail Line to be Transferred to State
MO - "A 144-mile stretch of the former Rock Island rail line is set to be transferred to the state by the end of 2017 for eventual use as a bike trail..." more...
Technologies to Help Peds Deal with Self-Driving Cars
"City Observatory has its own modest proposals for making 'Smart City' streets safer." more...
- TN: Murfreesboro extends greenway in Walter Hill
- CT: Work to begin on Seymour greenway trail in spring
- CO: Snowmass, Copper Mountain want alpine coasters, new mtb trails
- MI: DNR award allows for bike and hike trail expansion in Shelby Township
- IL: Geneseo awarded over $100k for new bike trails
- IL: Proposed Levee District trail gets $200,000 state grant
- WI: As fat bike sales soar in NE Wisconsin, trails to ride are still limited
- MO: Scathing audit faults Kansas City bike plan
- EU: Cycling adds 500 bn to EU economy
- CAN: Decision to keep Calgary's cycle track
- MI: Where bikes, streetcars fit into the future of Grand Rapids streets
- WA: Construction begins on new segment of the E Lake Sammamish Trail
$788,421 Grant to Help Connect Columbus Trails
Columbus, OH - "...The projects will connect neighborhoods to the regional trail system, said Tony Collins, Columbus' recreation and parks director." more...
Chillicothe Eyes Bike Route Designations
Chillicothe, OH - "... it will consider a request to approve bike routes through the city as part of a larger Ohio Department of Transportation effort." more...
1,265 Bike-Friendly Businesses
"Today, the League of American Bicyclists awarded 42 new and renewing Bicycle Friendly Businesses (BFBs). There are now 1,265 BFBs in 49 states and the District of Columbia ranging from local business to Fortune 500 corporate headquarters." more...
$12M Donation to Separate Lakefront Trail
Chicago, IL - "The dangerous free-for-all between cyclists and runners would end along the entire length of Chicago's 18-mile lakefront bike path..." more
Your Cheat Sheet for Hacking Safer Streets
"As far as monikers go, 'guerrilla urbanist' invokes an exotic, even frightening image..." more
- IL: 2 Illinois Bike Lanes Made The List Of 2016's Best New Bike Lanes
- TX: WF waterfall bridge and trail to undergo renovations
- WA: More tacks found along popular biking trail in Seattle
- ESP: Madrid's Christmas Present to Itself: A Car Ban
Ohio Gets 3-Feet Passing Law
OH - The new law takes effect on March 19. more...
Hit-and-Run Victim Searching for Good Samaritan
Middletown, OH - "A Middletown woman is searching for the Good Samaritan that came to her rescue when she said others just passed her by." more...
Best U.S. Bike Lanes in 2016
"If 2013 was the year protected bike lanes went national, 2014 was the year they got beautiful and 2015 was the year they got durable, 2016 has been the year they did something even more valuable." more...
Uber Admits to Self-Driving Car Problem in Bike Lanes
"Engineers were working to fix programming flaw that could have deadly results for cyclists..." more
Enlisting Bikes In the Fight Against Inequality
Baltimore, MD - "Liz Cornish of the bicycle advocacy group Bikemore talks about how bike infrastructure can help solve a host of woes in Baltimore." more...
- VA: City Council approves extension of Tinker Creek Greenway Trail
- VT: Bike path reopens as Burlington Greenway
- GA: Island Hopper trail will connect mainland to Jekyll
- IN: Environmental group seeks support for Mounds trail
- WI: Eau Claire Co. testing out fat bike pilot program
- PA: 'Fake News' poisons bike lane debate
- CA: SFMTA Publishes Results of Bike Lane Treatments
- WA: Will helmet law kill Seattle's new bike-share program?
A Greenway Corridor Between Uptown & Downtown
Cleveland, OH - "It's time to connect downtown's Public Square and Uptown's University Circle..." more
Pittsburgh Bike to Expand Share
PA - "Pittsburgh's Healthy Ride bike-sharing system has received a $200,000 state grant to expand the number of stations it operates by 50 percent." more...
Children in Bike Trailer Struck in Crosswalk
Winter Springs, FL - "A young family got the scare of a lifetime, and a local mother is standing up and demanding action. Her children were on a bike ride when someone crashed into them." more...
How Sweden Has Redesigned Streets
"Vision Zero was created in Sweden -- and you see can how its implementation has changed the way cities there work." more...
- ME: Eastern Trail users celebrate extension of off-road path
- VA: County late in trail debate
- ME: NMDC green lights Bangor-to-St. John Valley bike trail project
- MO: Jay Nixon, Missouri's Teddy Roosevelt
Metroparks Exec Director gets Raise, $20K Bonus
Butler County, OH - "The executive director of MetroParks of Butler County has received a new contract and bonus that board members said was needed for competitive reasons." more...
From Parking Garage to Community Space
"One architect's proposal for 'a place that would be interesting for playing.'" more...
- WI: Funding trail snow-plowing efforts a good idea
- CO: Landowner puts bike park in conservation easement
- CT: Local group eyes funding of bike path studies
- MA: Woman assaulted on Upper Charles trail in Milford
- WY: Approval Given For Additional Red Grade Trails
New Towpath Trail Bridge Opens
Massillon, OH - "A new bridge has been put in place on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail by the Stark County Park District. The bridge is between the Bridgeport Quarry and the Forty Corners Trailheads." more...
Holiday Sale on Red Bike Annual Pass
Cincinnati, OH - "A Red Bike Annual Pass is the perfect Holiday Gift for your friends and family who live, work, or go to school in Cincinnati's urban core..." more
Survey Shows Decline in Biking Numbers
Steamboat Springs, CO - "As some mountain bikers in Steamboat Springs push the city to build more challenging trails, some elected officials are pointing to the results of a recent summer survey as evidence the city might want to invest more in flatter, more accessible trails instead." more...
Transport Secretary Doors Cyclist
UK - "Transport Secretary Chris Grayling knocked a cyclist off his bike outside Parliament in what his spokesman said was an 'unfortunate accident.'" more...
- NC: French Broad River Greenway West now open
- NC: How to improve cycling safety in the Triangle
- PA: Matching money is snag in bike/ped planning
- GA: GE donates $5,000 for trail work in West Rome
- IL: Why Is the Lakefront Plowed but Not the Bloomingdale?
- WA: Could UPS deliver packages by bike around Seattle?
- TN: North Murfreesboro Greenway Project completes recreation improvements
Mayor's Office Requests Intersection Design Changes
Cleveland, OH - "We learned today that the Mayor's Office has, in fact, formally alerted ODOT about the original designs proposed for the intersections at and near West 25th/Detroit and requested a variety of design revisions. The city is now awaiting ODOT's response." more...
Cold Doesn't Stop Columbus Cyclists
Columbus, OH - "During the winter, most of us enjoy a warm car ride into work. But there are a few diehards who say cycling to work is the way to go." more...
Philly Guy Builds his Own Bike Lane
PA - "After visiting a friend in the hospital twice -- for two bike crashes in the course of a single year -- Dave Brindley was moved to action." more...
City Cycling Pop-Up Offers Bike Lane Lessons
"How do you get a city more accustomed to biking trails to pedal the streets? Paint a whole lot of lanes." more...
Cement Truck Driver Kills Cyclist
NYC - "A cement truck driver killed a woman riding a bike near the Hudson River Greenway in Hell's Kitchen this morning." more...
Wasteful Spending Rampant on Niagara Greenway
NY - "...The 50-year, $450 million Niagara Greenway was supposed to establish a 'Niagara River corridor (of) unique ecological, cultural and economic importance to Western New York'..." more...
- IN: Railroad bridge to be replaced in vital Ohio River Greenway project link
- MT: Billings bikeway, trail plan nearing completion
- PA: Pittsburgh planner: We need a grid of bike lanes
- AR: 19-acre mountain bike park planned in Fayetteville
- PA: Downtown Pittsburgh property owners worried over bike lane plans
- TN: Wolf River Greenway's Epping Way Segment Moves Toward May Opening
Trump's In - Part 2
As many bike advocates -- as well as others -- continue to suffer from PESD (Post Election Stress Disorder), we continue our blog coverage on the bigger picture in U.S. politics today. Read Part 2.
Proposed Trail Would Connect Cleveland with Erie, PA
Geneva, OH - "Officials from across the region met in Ashtabula County Wednesday to discuss plans for a new network of bike paths and pedestrian trails that would connect Cleveland to Erie." more...
Regional Bike/Hike Trail Planning
Cincinnati, OH - "...For several decades, the $100 question was 'When will the Loveland Trail connect to Lunken Airport?'..." more
Dayton Could get Mountain Bike Park
Dayton, OH - "A Dayton beer distributor wants land from the city to expand, and could fund a new mountain bike park in the process." more...
Loveland Trail Project to Honor Women
Cyclist Pulled Over for Slapping Car
Portland, OR - "Chris Lind was just trying to get home and avoid the snowpocalypse." more...
Sean Kelly Collides with Wild Boar During Descent
"Former World Number one cyclist Sean Kelly was fortunate to emerge relatively unscathed after colliding with a wild boar on a descent in Spain." more...
- IN: Building the next link in River Valley Trail
- TN: Knoxville officials unveil new trail team
- AR: Downtown Rogers to get new trail in 2017
- CO: Arapahoe County grants nearly $1 million for open space
- IA: High Line Bike Trail
- PA: Northampton supervisors reject bike trail feasibility study
- ID: Rec district still looking into proposed bike trail along US-93
- MO: Koman Group planning bike route between Cortex and Grove
- VA: Council will likely let them ride
- MI: Here's what the new bike lanes downtown could look like
- OR: Portland Council votes for 'person trips' to make better planning decisions
Elgin Boys Clear Trail
Marion, OH - "...Roughly 3.6 new miles of the trail opened on Nov. 29. Prior to the opening, boys basketball players braved cold conditions and snow flurries to remove roughly three truckloads of debris from the new section of trail." more
Olentangy Trail Section to Reopen Until August
Columbus, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation is ready to reopen a Worthington-area portion of the Olentangy Trail, but only temporarily." more...
New Phila Moves Forward on Riverfront Park
New Philadelphia, OH - "The city is moving forward with plans to install a boat ramp and develop a riverfront park along the Tuscarawas River." more...
Bike Cleveland 2016 Accomplishments
Cleveland, OH - "Greater Cleveland became safer for people on bikes in 2016. New on-street bike facilities, the roll out of the 250 unit UHBike bike share system and adoption of a city-wide safe routes to school travel plan are just some of our accomplishments this year..." more
Driver's Test Could Include Bike/Ped Safety Questions
Trenton, NJ - "Looking to head off tragedies involving pedestrians and cyclists, a group of New Jersey lawmakers have introduced a bill that would require the state to quiz would-be drivers on the rules of sharing the road." more...
Car-Free Living in the United States
"...Can growth in car-free living actually be detected in national-level and state-level data?..." more
- IN: First phase of State Street project continuing into new year
- WY: Council votes to spend $100K in reserves for Greenway connector
- AUS: A bloke called Barry and the Jesus bikes parked around Melbourne
- PA: These Downtown bike lanes could close a major trail GAP
- AR: Cave Springs Council Does Not Pass Trail Resolution
- WA: Seattle has chance to improve biking, walking and transit
- WI: New Bridge Completes River's Edge Bike Trail On Wausau's East Side
Controversy Over Old Trolley Line
KY - "...A possible bike path along an old trolley line in Park Hills just south of Covington sparked a controversy over who should control the land." more...
Idaho Stop Could Save Cyclists' Lives
"...The DePaul researchers cited an analysis of 707 bike crashes from 2010 to 2013 that showed that intersections with signals were associated with more bicycle crashes." more...
RTC Announces 2016 Rail-Trail Champion
"Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) is pleased to name former U.S. Congressman Tom Petri as the 2016 Doppelt Family Rail-Trail Champion in recognition of his decades of support for rail-trails and active transportation infrastructure." more...
- IN: State funding infuses River Valley Trail projects
- TX: What's Next For Houston's Ambitious Bike Trail Project
- IA: Mason City officials working to create new bike trail
- PA: Bucks rail trail runs into opposition
- FL: New trail coming to Manatee County
- NYC: NYPD View of Change on NYC Streets
New Bikeway Spur Opens in Athens
Athens, OH - "...The completed construction project connects the bike/jogging/walking path on the northwest part of the city north of the Hocking River, to Columbus Road with an extended spur and bridge over the river." more...
Police Wrongly Ticketing Cyclists
Richmond, VA - "Bike Law's Tom Bowden took control of the travel lane to justice this week in Richmond Circuit Court, on appeal from General District Court, by successfully appealing a traffic ticket wrongfully issued to Taylor Wyant for not riding on the far right of the roadway..." more
Pittsburgh's Growth as a Transportation Innovation Center
PA - "Pittsburgh's size, relationships and vision continue to raise the region's transportation profile on a national level." more...
USDOT Seeks Applicants for Beyond Traffic Innovation Centers
"The U.S. Department of Transportation is seeking applicants to create a network of 'centers' using academic activities and programs focused on providing solutions to transportation issues..." more
- SC: New greenway to link Richland, Lexington counties
- WI: Woman driving on bike path tentatively faces second OWI offense
- ISR: Electric Bike Riders Should Be Licensed
- MA: Next steps for Belmont Community Path
- OR: Deadly Division Street temporarily tamed with hay bales and homemade signs
Heart of Ohio Trail Closer to Completion
Knox County, OH - "...A ribbon-cutting ceremony was held Friday in Centerburg to open the two-mile section of trail from Clayton Street in Centerburg to Huffman Rd." more...
County Adding 200 Acres to Parks Property
Clark County, OH - "One of Clark County Park District's natural preserves will be expanding. The park property near Spangler Road will be increasing by more than 200 acres." more...
Mountain Biker Suffers Serious Injuries
Santa Barbera, CA - "A man was flown to Cottage Hospital after crashing on his mountain bike on Snyder Trail near Paradise Road Saturday afternoon." more...
- IA: High Line Bike Trail in the works for Mason City
- IA: Changes could preserve scenic stretch of Great Western Trail
- NY: Saratoga County gets state money for trails
- MO: Councilman eyes alternatives after scrapping walking trail plan
Task Force Formed to Build Trails
KY - "...The proposed Kentucky Caves Trail would be 70 miles of multi-use trails from Louisville through Breckinridge County..." more
Go Danish To Save Lives
UK - "British Cycling, the AA and the RAC Foundation have joined forces to call for the next edition of the Highway Code to have a Danish-style priority rule with motorists giving priority to cyclists at junctions..." more
- DC: Safety improvements coming to Capital Crescent Trail
- TX: Rails-to-Trails Conservancy supports West Rail Trail concept
- CO: GOCO doles out funds to improve trails
- MD: Brunswick welcomes new biking trails for tourists and residents
- TX: Two-mile trail extension on White Oak Bayou Greenway opens
- CAN: Toronto's new transportation boss says car is no longer king
Search for Pilot Bike Lane Project Narrows
Cleveland, OH - "The city may choose Superior, Community College or Lakeside avenues - for a pilot version of a Midway Cycle Track, a new type of two-way bike path running down the center lanes, separate from traffic." more...
ODOT Intersection Redesign Fails Vulnerable Users
Cleveland, OH - "...ODOT has proposed many features that are designed to speed traffic through and around the intersection rather than protect vulnerable road users. Most deadly is their proposal for extra-wide, 14-foot traffic lanes." more...
Godspeed, John Glenn!
Bicycles Catch On in Traffic-Clogged Mexico City
MEX - "The city is filled with two wheelers from the presence of bicycles in public art to the many bike deliverers." more...
- TX: 2-mile trail extension on White Oak Bayou Greenway opens Friday
- LA: Ruston's Rock Island Greenway selected for PeopleForBikes grant
- VT: Burlington Parks to open Greenway on December 24
- NZ: New cycle of Government funding for Nelson Tasman bike trails
- CO: Big Investments in Walking and Biking Could Pay for Themselves
- TX: Council members consider ways to lower neighborhood speed limits
- OR: 2 more people were killed while walking across Southeast Division St
- WA: Seattle Bike Blog's new mobile site
Ohio 3-Feet Passing Law Deadline Approaching
Columbus, OH - "...'The full senate must pass our bill by December 31,' said Smith. 'If they and the governor do not act by the end of the year we would have to start all over again next year.'" more...
Cincy's Rank Among Top Bike Cities
Cincinnati, OH - "The 2016 biennial list from Bicycling.com shows Cincinnati ranked 36th out of 50 bike-friendly US cities..." more
East End Infrastructure & Streetscape Improvements
Akron, OH - "...The streetscape, a main throughway and centerpiece of Akron's East End, is a 1.4 million-square-foot, mixed-use redevelopment at the former Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. campus." more...
Cleveland Metroparks Honored
Cleveland, OH - "Cleveland Metroparks has won two first-place awards from the Ohio Parks and Recreation Association (OPRA)." more...
Do We Really Want Funding For Bicycle Projects?
"...Asking for funding for bicycle facilities is backwards. It's inefficient, can result in poor or over-priced outcomes, and sometimes the funding can be sidetracked..." more
Safe Routes to School E-news
Read the December issue.
UPS Debuts Delivery by Electric Bike
"...it's testing delivery by electric bicycle in Portland, a first for the company in the United States..." more
- PA: Kennett Township gets $1.2 million grant to develop multi-use trails
- VA: County pays family $139,850 for Nike Park trail land use
- MN: Winonans plan new trails
- CA: Stockton's SJ Trail to get face-lift
- FRA: Paris bans cars for second day running as pollution chokes city
- OR: Portland will update NW 16th Ave with buffered bike lane
- MI: Ann Arbor adopts 'safe passing' law
- TX: Charges won't be filed against driver in area cyclist's death
- KY: KY 237 will be safer for bikes, walkers
Oregon Bike Path to be Extended
Oregon, OH - "Oregon City Council on Monday approved a $71,954 contract with Poggemeyer Design Group, Inc., of Bowling Green, to design a multi-use bike path between Seaman and Brown roads." more...
Canalway Association Awards $363K in Grants
Ohio Senate passes 'Annie's Law''
Columbus, OH - "... Lyaker says neighboring states like Kentucky and West Virginia have already enacted similar laws and have seen their OVI deaths cut in half." more...
Vancouver's Multi-Modal Success Story
CAN - "One of the best transportation stories of 2016 comes from Vancouver, British Columbia, which achieved its goal of having transit, biking, and walking account for 50 percent of all trips a full four years ahead of schedule. Bicycling is a big part of that shift, and now one of every 10 work trips is by bike." more...
When Motorists Kill People They Need to be Held Accountable
"...As they pedaled down the shoulder of Old Stage Road, a two-lane highway, around 7 PM, a 16-year-old boy - who happened to be a former student of Janice's - struck the couple from behind with an SUV..." more
Fatalities In The War On Cars Are Never In Cars
"...Toronto police couldn't prove Taylor was using her cellphone while she was driving and, despite testimony from two eyewitnesses who said Taylor was speeding, police concluded 'no reliable evidence of speeding' existed..." more...
- FL: Grant will help St. Lucie connect sections of East Coast Greenway
- PA: Grant approved for Bellefonte-Milesburg greenway trail
- MO: What's happening with 'The Trestle' in north St. Louis?
- TX: Bee Cave presents long-term vision for trails project
- CO: County explores creating backcountry trail to Montrose
- ITA: Rome to ban buses from entering historic centre
- CAN: At least 20 pedestrians struck in Toronto as rain slams the city
- OR: PBOT moves forward with carfree 'Sullivan's Crossing' bridge
- WA: Seattle again falls short of 'platinum' bike-friendly status
A Long-Awaited Link to the Lakefront
Cleveland, OH - "...To actually get to the green, breezy parks on the shore of the lake, residents have to go miles out of the way." more...
What's Become of the Licking River Greenway & Trails Project?
KY - "The City of Covington was awarded a $1 million grant to study the feasibility of turning an abandoned water bridge over the Licking River into a pedestrian and cyclist path from Kenton to Campbell County, connecting to the City of Wilder." more...
The BeltLine's Big Year
Atlanta, GA - "While 2016 was a busy year for the Atlanta BeltLine, 2017 is shaping up to be one of its biggest yet." more...
Plowing Protected Bike Lanes
Minneapolis, MN - "... there's a lot more interest in winter maintenance of bike lanes than there was 10 years ago..." more
Woman Struck by Car on Fall Line Trace Trail
Columbus, GA - "...Police said the crosswalk activation switch from where the pedestrian was crossing was inoperative... more
Mayor Pledges Nearly $1B for Bike Projects
London, UK - "After criticism that he has not been as forceful in promoting bike infrastructure as his predecessor Boris Johnson, London Mayor Sadiq Khan has promised to spend 770 million euros ($980 million U.S.) on cycling initiatives over the course of his term..." more
"An efficient and equitable transport system must be diverse to serve diverse travel demands..." more
- CT: Selectmen continue to mull Shoreline Greenway Trail proposal
- SC: North Augusta plan to connect greenway to downtown
- CT: Hartford touted as a bike-friendly city
- IA: Mountain bike group plans 'roller coaster' trail system
- WI: Early morning assault reported on bike trail
- CA: Marin hikers, equestrians dismayed over bike access on Alto Bowl trail
- PA: Pedestrian-bike trestle linking city to Phillipsburg
- CO: New website features all-things biking in Snowmass
- DC: Bikeshare in Prince George's County
- UK: Londoners are loving the cycle superhighways
- OR: Bringing Pedal-Power to Standing Rock
- KY: Park makes newest destination on NKY riverfront trail
The Exclusion of Buses from Public Square
Cleveland, OH - "Cleveland's renovated Public Square was an instant hit when it opened this summer with its rolling expanses of grass, bandstand and miniature water fountains, perfect for splashing children. Part of that success stemmed from the square's temporary closure to buses and other vehicular traffic..." more
However, some say Mayor Jackson got it wrong.
Thoughts on Trail Vandals
CO - "Mountain bike trail 'vandals' come in a variety of hues -- from clueless to misguided to malicious." more...
Proposal to Bury London's Traffic
UK - "The proposed CarTube supposedly reclaims streets for people by moving cars on to a underground network of automated tracks..." more
- MN: New enthusiasm leads to partnership on city trails
- MO: Cyclists celebrate new Katy Trail link near KC
- FL: Let bicycles share Orlando's bus lanes
- NYC: Citi Bike Under Pressure to Expand
Make Ohio Safer for Cyclists
"Every year, Ohio bicyclists experience an unnecessary and avoidable number of fatalities due to collisions with motor vehicles..." more
47-Mile Link to Katy Trail Opening Soon
MO - "...cyclists next Saturday will be given cause for celebration when a new 47.5-mile link to Missouri's Katy Trail opens in Pleasant Hill, Mo." more...
Bike/Ped Projects Create More Jobs
"Bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure projects create more jobs per dollar spent than other road construction projects, according to an America Bikes press release and the study, Pedestrian and Bicycle Infrastructure: A National Study of Employment Impacts..." more
- CO: BLM looking for bike trail vandals
- IL: Vulcan City Bike Park: Vassar man pushes $4M idea
- AL: Mountain bike group helps clean up Monte Sano after storm damage
- NJ: Tracks-to-trails movement gains speed
Madisonville Trail to be Extended
Cincinnati, OH - "Little Duck Creek Trail to be extended and a significant portion of it paved." more...
Platinum Bicycle Friendly Trifecta
Davis, CA - "...On my first ride, as I rode in an exceptionally wide bicycle lane while sipping iced coffee before entering one of many bicycle roundabouts on the UC Davis campus, it was immediately apparent why close to 25% of people in Davis choose to commute by bike and close to 50% of students choose to arrive at campus by bike: it's safe, it's easy and there's no reason not to." more...
National Speed Fatality Map Highlights Tragic Losses
"Elevating safety over speed would save thousands of lives each year." more...
Australian Study Recommends Criminalizing Drinking & Walking
"We have talked often about 'the criminalization of walking' about blaming the walking person when he or she gets hit by a car for looking at their phones or wearing headphones or being dressed in black. Now in Australia they are taking it to a new level..." more...
- CO: Stormwater Channel Could Double as a Fat Bike Trail
- CA: Kern River bike path to temporarily close due to risk of mudslides
- ME: Officials celebrate Sunrise Trail extension into central Ellsworth
- OR: Portland now has roadmap to zero traffic deaths
- WA: 7th Ave bike lane will connect Dexter to downtown
- DC: Bike lanes are improving your commute, your health and your social life
Bike Trail Culvert Failure Repaired
Bridge Over Stow Trail Replaced
Franklin Seeking Federal Aid for Safety Projects
Franklin, OH - "...[Plans include:] Clear Creek Bike Path Connector: Construction of a bike path to connect Hazel Woods Park to Franklin Community Park..." more
Gatlinburg Fires Originated From Chimney Tops Trail
Nashville, TN - "Officials with the National Park Service have stated early indications are the Gatlinburg fires stem from a man-made fire that originally started at the Chimney Tops Trail last Wednesday." more...
The 'Peanutabout' Concept for Diagonal Streets
"...On Tuesday, the Boston Cyclists Union shared the inspiring back story behind a new concept for the long, complex seven-way intersection created by the acute crossing of Cambridge and Hampshire streets..." more
Do Bike Share Systems Actually Work?
"Bike sharing was launched in the United States seven years ago, and it's about time we considered whether the systems are actually benefiting cities and their residents." more...
Are Car-Free Bridges the Future?
"On Portland's newest bridge, there's just one rule: no cars allowed. Other cities may follow the progressive city's lead." more...
- CO: Colorado Springs envisions fat bike trail
- IL: Bike Path Expansion: From Wisconsin to Skokie
- SC: The motivation behind future pedestrian, bike paths
- VT: Study shows the value of Vermont's trail systems
- NC: Green Mill Run Greenway officially opens in Greenville
- PA: 6 people walking around Philly were killed by vehicles in November
- WA: Check out Seattle's 12 winning neighborhood-led transpo ideas
Olentangy Trail Section Opens Dec. 8
Columbus, OH - "...Even though the trail will be open, it will not be complete. There will be overnight closures and daytime flagging as crews complete work on or above the trail..." more
Related: [3rd Avenue to Lane Avenue] - Beginning December 12th through January 6th there will be soil boring equipment accessing several locations along the berm of the trail. Warning signs will be posted. The path will remain open. Use extra caution in this section of the trail during this period."
Plans to Replace 80-Year-Old Viaduct
Camp Washington, OH - "...The new design would also have better access for pedestrians and bicycles. Right now, there's little to no space for either..." more
Bowling Green: A Case in Point
Bowling Green, OH - "...On October 12 Kathleen Watkins and I led a Professional Development Ride with the City Engineer, Fire Chief, Civil Engineer and Assistant Municipal Administrator.
"I returned November 7 and hosted two Professional Development Rides with the Director of Public Works, 2 City Council members, a Bowling Green University student organization representative, a reporter from BG Independent News and one from the Sentinel-Tribune, 2 City Council Members, Ohio Department of Transportation District 2 Engineer and 2 local bicycle advocates..." more
Officials Put Brakes On Proposed Rail To Trail Project
Northampton Twp., PA - "... the Newtown Rail Trail has received widespread support from Northampton residents. But those living adjacent to the old overgrown tracks are fiercely opposed -- a classic case of not in my backyard." more...
Why U.S. Roads are More Dangerous that Europe's
"...We are on track to kill 38,000 vehicle occupants, motorcyclists, bicyclists, and pedestrians in 2016." more...
Flexible Roadway Design Key to Safer Streets
"...when it comes to designing highways and other roads, our local partners are often unaware of the flexibility they have to safely accommodate all road users -- including bicyclists, pedestrians, and transit riders." more...
2017 Trail Development Applications Being Accepted
"RTC launched a new grant program in 2015 to support organizations and local governments that are implementing projects to build and improve multi-use trails. Under the Doppelt Family Trail Development Fund, RTC will award approximately $85,000 per year, distributed among several qualifying projects, through a competitive process..." more
- OR: Portland will make Clinton traffic diverter permanent
- AK: Teen arrested in connection with assault on East Anchorage bike trail
- CO: 24 bike crashes have occurred this semester, commonly bike vs. car
- IA: Contractor replaces Sergeant Road trail bridge
- MA: Franklin County to plan for bicycle tourism
- IN: Landowners Opposed To Trails Will Meet Saturday
- TN: The long and tortured path to getting sidewalks
- MA: The Inman Square 'Peanutabout'
- FRA: Paris's Groundbreaking Car Bans Face a Backlash
- WA: Seattle's new budget speeds up bike plan
Towpath Bridge Could Open Dec. 16
Massillon, OH - "A six-figure upgrade to the Ohio and Lake Erie Towpath is ongoing in the northwest part of the city." more...
Bike Path Rapist Sentenced
Dayton, OH - "...The 29-year-old Congo native was found guilty of raping a 90-year-old woman near a Dayton bikepath in 2013. He'll serve 11 years for rape and two years for felonious assault." more...
Gnadenhutten Trail Meeting a Success
Gnadenhutten, OH - "The recent opening of the Route 36 Gnadenhutten bridge over the Tuscarawas River, complete with a hiking and biking lane separated from traffic lanes, seems to have sparked interest in trail building in the village. more...
54 Trail Projects Receive Federal Funding
WV - "A new equestrian trail at Barboursville Park in Cabell County, a rail-trail along the route of the former West Virginia Northern excursion train in Preston County and Charleston's planned Virginia Street West bike trail are among 54 projects divvying up more than $7 million in federal funding..." more
- AZ: Park, trail dedicated to 19 fallen firefighters
- CT: Ansonia to receive $900,000 grant to extend Riverwalk
- WA: Group unveils plans for 25-mile bike/walking trail
- LA: Ruston officials break ground for new bike and walk trail
- KS: New bike and walking trail dedicated at Kaw Point Park
- NY: Shoreline Trail Signature Pedestrian Bridge
- OR: New raised bikeway on Couch curve at Burnside bridgehead
- WA: Seattle's failing Pronto bike share program to end in March
New Section of Tallgrass Trail Opens
Marion, OH - "...The new section, stretching 3.6 miles through a wooded corridor, starts at Osbun Road and crosses DeCliff Road, Dry Lane Road and Ohio 37 before reaching its western terminus near Riley Road." more...
Walkability, Bikeability at Heart of Walnut Hills Plan
Cincinnati, OH - "... It's designed to reinvigorate the central-city neighborhood and make it more of a destination, and less of a passageway between other communities." more...
Donated Bikes in Need of Safety Helmets
West Chester Twp., OH - "An area non-profit is looking to donate more than 175 bicycles to children via local organizations, but first wants to raise enough money to purchase new safety helmets to go along with the toys." more...
Bike Parking Means Business
"In 2015, Yelp incorporated bike parking into reviews. There was no fanfare, but it is a big deal. Why? No parking means no business, and that goes for bicycles as much as for cars." more...
The Accident Is Not the Major Problem
"Sweden's top traffic safety strategist visits New York to share lessons from the original 'Vision Zero.'" more...
- WA: Electric bicycles raise concerns over trail access
- LA: Red River Bike Trail broken after floods
- MN: Austin earns honorable mention as a Bicycle Friendly Community
- MI: Local bike shop installs bike repair stations at parks
- CT: New Milford River Trail advances
- FL: 18-year-old shot while riding bike
- NC: Long Branch Trail, a Winston-Salem greenway under construction
- GA: Halcyon breaks ground on Greenway extension
- WA: Parks District detours Burke-Gilman users onto very busy street
Car-free in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "...Either by choice or by circumstance, a number of residents are living a car-free lifestyle..." more
Philly Struggling with Traffic Fatalities
Philadelphia, PA - "...In the two weeks since Kelley Yemen took charge of the newly created Office of Complete Streets, four pedestrians have been killed in car crashes and a fifth was gravely injured." more...
Feds Propose Guidelines to Curb Distracted Driving
"...The subject of distracted driving is getting increased attention after U.S. highway deaths spiked to 35,092 last year, the highest one-year increase since 1966..." more
- LA: Local organizations promoting healthy living through transportation
- DC: When bikeshare stations are near Metro, more people use them
Feds grant $28M for Mitchell Point Crossing
OR - "Oregon Department of Transportation has found a light at the end of the tunnel in its endeavor to fully restore the Historic Columbia River Highway as a single trail." more...
Subsidizing Automobile Dependency
"...We subsidize driving by designing our neighborhood streets to allow fast driving while discouraging walking and making bicycling dangerous..." more
- NZ: Outdoor exercise equipment placed along trail
- ID: The fat bike threat to local wilderness
- MA: Mountain bikers applaud state official's effort to listen
- JPN: Japan is making bike-sharing a thing
National Bike Routes Coming Through Lorain County
More Downtown Bike Lanes Coming
Pittsburgh, PA - "Making more room for bicyclists in Downtown Pittsburgh will trigger lane adjustments on three thoroughfares next year, including a reduction in street parking along Fort Pitt Boulevard, a city planner said this week." more...
Right Angled Intersections Safer for Cyclists
"Bicycle riders are more likely to be seriously injured in vehicle crashes at intersections where streets don't meet at right angles, according to a study in New York City." more...
Advocates Fight for Electric Bike Trail Use
"...Unable to entirely power a bicycle on her own, she found the solution in an electric pedal-assist bike. But the U.S. Forest Service sees her bike as a motor vehicle and thus not allowed on mountain bike trails..." more
Yay Bikes! October Advocacy Report
Columbus, OH - "Welcome to the monthly feature in which we round up all our events, earned media, program delivery, meetings and speaking engagements for the month..." more
Pedestrians Have Rights, Too
CAN - "...The killing of pedestrians is an overlooked tragedy in a car-centred culture that prefers to regard road deaths as both accidental and inevitable." more...
ODOT Funds Newark to Heath Trail Connection
Heath, OH - "...The Hopewell to Forry Multi-Use Trail extension project will build a safe crossing of Hopewell Drive, and create a paved, multi-use trail from Hopewell Drive in Heath to Forry Street in Newark..." more
Spike in Crashes Results in Call for Safer Streets
"...Twenty-five cyclists were killed in Ohio in 2015, the most in 40 years. Last June, a man under the influence of drugs plowed his pickup truck into a group of Michigan bicyclists, killing five." more...
ODOT wins $28M Grant for Historic Highway Project
OR - "The Oregon Department of Transportation has inched ever closer to its goal of reconnecting a 75-mile paved path and low-volume road between Troutdale and The Dalles..." more
REI's CEO's Quest Inspired To Take Back Black Friday
"In 2013, when Jerry Stritzke took over as CEO of the retail cooperative REI, he decided to rename the position of the sales associates working in their retail stores to 'Inspire Guides'..." more
- MA: Columbia Greenway Rail Trail continues to improve
- MO: City-wide Greenway plan
- WI: Woman accused of driving vehicle on bike trail
- WA: Burke-Gilman detour raises safety concerns for cyclists
- WA: Council sets Pronto shutdown deadline
Trump's In -- What Now?!
"...There is usually a bigger picture than the one you or I are currently focusing on, on any given day. That generally holds true whether your focus is on personal matters or how your country is run." more...
Central Ohio Greenway Survey
Columbus, OH - "The Central Ohio Greenway Trails are an extensive series of multipurpose trails connecting communities, neighborhoods, downtown Columbus and other destination points..." more
Why Protected Bike Lanes Save Lives
"A new study shows how cities with separated cycling infrastructure saw big safety improvements and higher ridership numbers." more...
Ottawa Opts for 'Less Safe' Bikeway Design
CAN - "...The city insists the lane is safe. But it doesn't deny it chose an option that was somewhat less safe for cyclists..." more
- CT: Brookfield's Still River Greenway Is Finally Complete
- CT: No Decision Yet on Shoreline Greenway Trail
- NC: New bike trail to connect Jacksonville, Camp Lejeune
- WI: Hanson makes request to DNR to reinstate bike trail application
- FL: SW 157th Avenue bike trail honors Eduardo Hernandez
- AR: Craighead Forest Park walking and bike trail is continuing to grow
- VT: Cross Vermont Trail receives funding boost
- AR: Protected Bike Lanes Are Sprouting Up in Walmart Country
- OR: City of Portland boosts network with 5.6 miles of newly buffered bike lanes
Apartments Offering Bike Share Memberships
Columbus, OH - "On Friday, local developer CASTO announced a unique partnership with the local CoGo bike share system that would entitle all apartment residents of The Barrett to complimentary bike share memberships..." more
Transit & Active Transpo Have Good Year
"...Nearly 400 local and state transportation funding initiatives graced ballots around the country, including about 100 that focused on transit and active transportation infrastructure. Of those 400 ballot initiatives, almost 200 passed - resulting in an estimated $200 billion in funding to improve the quality and access of local and regional multimodal transportation systems." more...
Making Vision Zero Real
Seattle, WA - "One morning in early May of this year, shortly before leaving for work, I checked my Twitter account and learned that police activity had closed a street a few blocks from my office near Tillicum Place in north Belltown. A man had been killed by a car, the tweet said..." more
Separated Bikeways are Setting the Standard for Safety
"...In order to encourage bicycling, cities have been constructing new infrastructure that physically separates cyclists from motor vehicle traffic..." more
Blame Road Design for Ped Fatalities
Portland, OR - "As the death of a Lewiston child shows, we can no longer tolerate high-speed streets in populated areas." more...
Fishing Line Strung Across Bike Path
Medford, OR - "Medford Police are issuing a warning to cyclists, after they said someone strung fishing line across the Greenway, causing a bicyclist to crash." more...
- GA: Development near Alpharetta to join Big Creek Greenway trail
- NY: Cattaraugus County studying trail systems
- NJ: Rail trail proposal resurfaces at Ocean City ward meeting
- WI: Drone video captures breathtaking view of bike path construction
- CO: Bicycle Colorado breaks down $1.6B cycling industry
- UK: Passing cyclists closely could result in having your car confiscated
- TX: DOT planning protected intersections for pedestrians, cyclists
Hit-and-Runs Trending Up
Cincinnati, OH - "...Just last month this trend seemed to be hitting a fever pitch when eight pedestrians and cyclists throughout the region were killed within a four-week period." more...
Trails 'to Nowhere' Annoy Cyclists
Des Moines, IA - "...It seems like the city is basically spending almost half a million dollars to build two trail segments to nowhere..." more
In China, Bikes are Back
"Cars ruled as the nation grew rich. But now, reports Adam Minter, two wheels are back in vogue due to worsening road congestion and air pollution." more...
- AR: Bentonville's pedestrian tunnels to improve Razorback Greenway safety
- MA: Iranian Artist's Mural Turns Heads
- MD: Volunteers blaze a trail through Bacon Ridge
- TX: Thirty trees added to Tule hike and bike trail
- MN: Walking/biking progress in Austin
- AUS: Footage shows Emu attack cyclist near the Cotter River
Peoria Works to Become Bike-Friendly
Peoria, IL - "Once a hub for bicyclists from all over the world in the 1890s, Peoria is now working to become bike-friendly in the 21st century." more...
Loved Ones Speak Out About Traffic Deaths
Seattle, WA - "Loved ones of just a couple of the 240 people killed in Seattle traffic in the past decade spoke to a gathering of friends, first responders, city officials, safe streets advocates and neighbors Thursday at City Hall." more...
- VT: Burlington hoping for long construction season for bike path
- IRE: Greenway cycle route could link Enniskillen to Clones
- CAN: New style of bike lanes pitched
- OR: Park district aims for reasonable trail compromise
Heath Bike Path to be Extended
Heath, OH - "...The Licking Park District announced it has secured money to extend the paved path three-quarters of a mile, across Hopewell Drive, near the Goodwill store, and into Newark, ending at Forry Street..." more
Elyria Developing Active Transportation Plan
Elyria, OH - "Could interconnectivity between city and county parks and attractions via bike paths and walking trails drive down obesity rates while also serving as a tool for economic development?" more...
New $5M U.S. Rt. 39 Bridge
Gnadenhutten, OH - "...The new bridge includes a lane for pedestrians and bicycles, which will help development of trails in the area." more...
Submitted by Scott Krocker
Rivers, Trails Projects Spark Tri-State Growth
Cincinnati, OH - "...access to parks, trails and other walkable or bikeable outdoor amenities are becoming key draws for those looking to rent or buy new homes." more...
- MN: An experimental greenway in north Minneapolis gets mixed reception
- CT: Residents support Bolton bike path extension
- MI: Work on 'crucial' final link in M-6 bike trail begins
- VT: State, pros push bike trails to next level
- IL: Peoria man found dead Wednesday on Pekin bike trail
Lima Named Bicycle-Friendly City
Lima, OH - "...On Wednesday, the city was named a bronze-level bicycle friendly city by the League of American Bicyclists..." more
Reimagining the Akron Towpath
Akron, OH - "...David Fierabend with Groundswell Design Group was involved in the vision of placing lighting throughout Lock 4 and Rt. 59 to draw surrounding communities to the center of Akron." more...
Levy Passage Allows Clermont Parks Improvements
Clermont County, OH - "...The 0.5-mill tax parks levy, to be collected for the next 10 years, will enable the park district to get started on a fix list totaling about $1 million and much more." more...
Billions for Bikes
"From large bicycling hubs like Austin, Texas to lakeside villages like Grand Haven, Michigan, Americans said 'Yes!' to bikes during this year's election. New funding dedicated to biking totals at least $4.7 billion." more...
Cycling Good for Your Health & the Economy
"While the health benefits of cycling are well-documented, a new study out of Colorado shows that the sport has another, unexpected benefit: It can stimulate a state's economy." more...
- UT: Mountain bike ride celebrates completion of 5 new trails
- DC: Three ideas to make it easier to bike to and from the Mosaic District
- GA: Sugar Hill ready to move forward on greenway master plan
- LA: Laffite Greenway to undergo renovations in 2017
- MA: Last-ditch effort to resolve Lowell rezoning issue unsuccessful
- TX: Downtown residents need transit options that don't involve a car
- CAN: Winnipeg councillor pushes city to adopt no-deaths traffic plan
- KY: No charges filed in fatal bicyclist accident in Louisville's south end
- DC: Secret Service bicycle officer struck by vehicle near White House
Columbus Seeks Input on Transpo Plan
Columbus, OH - "This week is the last chance for Columbus residents to provide input on the city's long-range transportation plan." more...
Related story: City Set to Unveil Transportation Recommendations.
Refugee Road Upgrades Proposed
Pickerington, OH - "...the project also will include reconstruction and resurfacing, improvements to intersections, curbs, gutters and storm sewers, upgrades for pedestrians including ADA-compliant curb ramps, and a bike path." more...
Read the latest edition.
Cities with Bike Lanes Getting Safer
"American cities still have a long way to go before they're considered safe for people of all ages and abilities to bike. But many of them have made a lot of progress recently, especially the ones building protected bike lanes." more...
- VA: Peninsula bike path to connect Richmond to South Hampton Roads
- GA: County and city leaders look to implement Flint River Trail System
- AL: Anniston marks streets for cyclists
- IL: Take a Virtual Bike Ride on the New 35th Street Bike & Ped Bridge
- SD: Memorial park bike trail finished
- NE: Commissioners approve bike trail at Johnson Lake
- WA: Neighbors for safe streets unite at City Hall
- CAN: Road safety advocates focus on speed, distracted driving
Wasson Way Trail Design Unveiled
Cincinnati, OH - "... Planners unveiled renderings of some concepts for the 4.1 mile trail at a meeting Tuesday night..." more
Commissioners Scout Wayne Forest for Bike Trail Installation
Athens, OH - "...Kotses and the commissioners toured the park to look for trash that had been illegally dumped there and discussed a possible solution for that problem." more...
103 Bicycling Friendly Communities Awarded
"Today, the League of American Bicyclists welcomed 26 new and 77 renewing Bicycle Friendly Communities (BFC). This is the largest application round in the BFC program's 13 year history. In total, 140 communities applied for recognition, a 62 percent increase from the previous largest round. There are now 404 BFCs in all 50 states." more...
Teen Killed in Crash While Riding Bike to School
Pacoima, CA - "A 15-year-old was struck by a vehicle and killed while riding his bicycle to school after two trucks crashed in Pacoima Tuesday morning." more...
The Importance of Bicycle Infrastructure to Public Health
"American cities that have adopted Vision Zero goals for walking and biking have their work cut out..." more
- PA: Borough looking to pedal forward on bike trail
- WI: Trail group not on same page as town board
- WI: Mequon looks at bike lane addition to Donges Bay
- TN: Station Camp Greenway could be completed in 2017
- UK: Residents furious as troublemakers destroy lampposts along path
- OR: Uber driver strikes again
Bowling Green Cyclists Learn to Take the Lane
Bowling Green, OH - "'I've cycled for over 60 years, in multiple countries,' said Steve Langendorfer and the others rode a few feet into the road, about where the passenger tire of a car would travel. 'It was fascinating,' he said." more...
Alum Creek Trail Section Closure
Columbus, OH - "Trail closure for boardwalk improvements (Between Mt. Hood Ct. and Strawberry Farms Park) starting Thursday Nov. 17th at 9am and will re-open Friday Nov. 18th by 5pm."
Five Major Trail Developments in America's Heartland
"Today, I am joining representatives of 22 bike/ped organizations and government agencies from six states who are convening in Illinois for Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's (RTC's) 2016 Midwest Policy Summit..." more
Tech Distractions Blamed for Rise in Traffic Fatalities
"...The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating an Oct. 26 crash near Tampa that killed five people. A passenger in one car, a teenager, recorded a Snapchat video showing her vehicle traveling at 115 m.p.h. just before the collision." more...
Safe Routes to Parks
"Ensuring safe access to public parks is key to improving health outcomes in America..." more
Barbed-Wire Booby Trap Catches Rider by the Throat
UK - "A cyclist said he was nearly 'beheaded' after he hit barbed wire which had been stretched across a bike path." more...
- CT: Brookfield's Still River Greenway opens after 16-year effort
- WA: Police arrest man in connection to body on bike trail
- CA: After 40 years, West Shore Bike Trail finally complete
- NZ: Mapua bike business Trail Journeys introduces new cycle shuttle service
- NYC: De Blasio's Vision Zero plan backfires as traffic death stats are up
- NYC: New York City using 311 and open data to track bike lane blockers
45-Acre Park Will Double as Trailhead
Columbus, OH - "...Camp Chase Trail is a very central segment of the Ohio to Erie Trail, so we're happy that we have a place where people can just ride right over to find water, restrooms, shelter, a repair station, all the kinds of things you'd want on a long distance ride..." more...
Complete Streets Coming to Toronto
CAN - "...A draft internal copy of Toronto's new complete-streets guidelines lays out dozens of ways to make changes to this city's roadways. They specify that the safety of vulnerable road users has to be considered 'at every stage.'..." more
Minneapolis Leads the Way in Cutting Bike Crash, Injuries
MN - "...The crash rate per 100,000 trips in Minneapolis plunged 75 percent during that period [2000-2005] and the rate of severe injuries and fatalities fell 79 percent." more...
- NY: County lawmakers to eye county-wide trail system plan
- TX: County bike-hike-paddle trail could create tourist draw
- CA: Laguna's popular mountain bike trails will soon be more accessible
- MT: Highwood Trail opens.
- DC: Capital Bikeshare takes bigger role in region's transit network
- MO: Trailnet pitches plan for connected paths along St. Louis streets
- MI: Mayor suggest pedestrian safety tax
Shawnee Run Trail Section Reopened
Milford, OH - Little Miami Scenic Trail updates: "...The trail is now OPEN at Shawnee Run in Milford! You don't have to walk around any more! Also, the trail at Ft. Ancient is expected to open in time for the Thanksgiving holiday, weather permitting."
Connecting Frisco's Trail System with Commercial & Recreation
TX - "...For years the city has been plotting a trail system that would provide connections throughout major commercial and residential developments in Frisco and to the surrounding cities." more...
- CA: After 40 years, the West Shore Bike Trail is finally complete
- CO: Officials still awaiting final approval for 18 Road improvements
Wasson Way Trail Plan Shortened/Compromised
Cincinnati, OH - "...Described in recent years as a 7.6-mile hike and bike trail, Wasson Way is now a 4.1-mile plan, according to Cincinnati city officials..." more
Reroute of Trail Raises Questions
CO - "...In the month since this column gave voice to mountain bikers 'sickened' by the work done on a long-awaited trail reroute west of Colorado Springs, Forest Service and El Paso County parks personnel have spun a rosy tale." more...
- IL: Will County Forest Preserve adopts first bike plan
- MI: Ann Arbor officials decide not to expand scope of greenway plan
- OR: St. Johns fatality fuels fire of neighborhood's safe streets activism
- AF: First Bike-Share Just Launched in Morocco
Proposed Bridge Overhaul Could Cost $9M
Elmore, OH - "...Additionally, the bridge could widen to accomodate two 12-foot-wide lanes; two four-foot-wide shoulders; a six-foot-wide walkway, and a 10-foot-wide bike lane." more...
Firefighters from Across U.S. Battle Appalachian Wildfires
Atlanta, GA - "...'It just smells like a campfire' along the Appalachian Trail in north Georgia, said Carlie Gentry, who works at the Mountain Crossings store at Walasi-yi, a popular stop for hikers." more...
Give Walking & Cycling Equal Status with Cars
"The United Nations Environment Programme says making walking and cycling safer is vital for reducing pollution and climate-changing emissions..." more
- MA: Walking the Neponset Greenway
- TN: ATV and tools stolen from a Murfreesboro Greenway Construction Site
- NY: New Path on Grand Island Will Complete Bike Trail from Buffalo to Niagara Falls
Time is Running Out for Ohio 3 Feet Passing Law
Man Found Guilty of Rape/Kidnapping on Bike Path
Dayton, OH - "Jean Paul Mpanurwa has been found guilty of kidnapping and raping a then-90-year-old woman in Dayton." more...
Dallas a Few Tweaks Away From 50-Mile Trail Loop
TX - "Dallas is one step closer to having a trail system that links throughout the city..." more
How Cities Are Making Their Residents More Active
"Planners of cities both large and small are working overtime to build the parks, trails, and bike paths to help residents be more active than ever." more...
Sidewalks are Critical Infrastructure
"Writing in Strong Towns, Kevin Posey asks 'Does it matter who pays for sidewalks?'..." more
- MA: Neponset River Greenway extension nearly complete
- GA: Newnan to pay nearly $50,000 for Greenway Trail plan
- IRE: Funds for 1,000km of greenways in Northern Ireland
- VA: Grand reopening of the Elizabeth River Trail
- CA: County bike trail may reduce traffic lane on Gilman Drive
- IN: New bike park salutes our veterans
- OR: The St. Johns Bridge does not need 19-foot wide lanes for freight traffic
- WV: Group hopes to add hundreds of miles of walking, hiking and biking trails
Red Bike Provided Free Rides to the Polls
Cincinnati, OH - "Cincy Red Bike, Greater Cincinnati's bicycle-share service, [offered] free election day rides with the use of a promo code." more...
Dividends Expected Along Rt. 256 Corridor
Fairfield County, OH - "...Right-of-way ditches were enclosed and storm sewers were installed, along with curbs, a new sidewalk from state Route 256, new guardrails, a bike path and the pavement was widened to allow for a center turn lane..." more
Little Miami Scenic Trail Newsletter
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Seattle Streets Get a Little Calmer
WA - "Most streets in Seattle officially had 5 mph knocked off from their speed limits yesterday. Non-arterial streets dropped from 25 mph to 20 mph and arterial streets near Downtown Seattle dropped from 30 mph to 25 mph. Slower speeds in Seattle are one part of the City's Vision Zero efforts to eliminate serious injuries and fatalities on city streets by 2030." more...
Number of Bikes Greater than Cars in Copenhagen
"...For the first time since the City starting counting traffic entering the city centre, there are more bikes than cars. Indeed, since last year, 35,080 more bikes were counted..." more
This Bike Lane Can Save Your Life
"Adding bike lanes makes a city healthier - even for people who never climb on a bicycle." more...
- LA: Lafitte Greenway is bringing good to the community
- SC: Saluda Riverwalk Out for Bid, Could Open in 2017
- MO: Chesterfield hopes to take air out of plan for bike lanes
- IL: Big Marsh Is a Hit With Local Cyclists
- OR: Portland will deploy 'Be Seen Be Safe' street teams as dark season begins
Talking Biking in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "'Why doesn't Cleveland have more bike infrastructure?' my friends who are transportation cyclists ask me over drinks." more...
North Royalton gets $200K for 12-Acre Park
North Royalton, OH - "...Chippewa Creek Headwater Park will lie behind and between the North Royalton branch library and North Royalton Family YCMA. The city owns the 12 acres." more...
Clark County Road to get $2.7M in Safety Upgrades
Clark County, OH - "...Construction plans between Gerlaugh and Dille roads include the addition of a sidewalk, bike path, streetlights and the consolidation of driveways." more...
- NC: Winston-Salem Constructing Portion of WFIQ Greenway
- NC: Green Mill Run Greenway expected to open in coming weeks
- NC: $50,000 grant for paving greenway
- MN: Parks getting pushback on dropping bikes from Lake Street underpass
- MD: Pedestrian Shaming Campaign Gets Smackdown
- GER: Berlin's Most Famous Street Will Go Car-Free
- WA: Seattle speed limits dropped to 25 downtown, 20 on every minor street
- MO: Indian Creek Trail stabbing may be connected to series of similar crimes
Upcoming Towpath Section Closings
Brecksville, OH - "The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail will be closed south of the intersection of Highland Road for a distance of about 4,100 feet from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mondays through Fridays Novmeber 7, 2016 through January 15, 2017, according to a news release." more...
Dead Teen Found on Teds Jones Trail
Ferguson, MO - "...There was my baby's body, wrapped up in a rug on the bike trail." more...
E-Bikes Not Permitted on Some Colorado Trails
CO - "...For example, Durango this spring outlawed e-bikes on its trails. Since 2014, Boulder has allowed e-bikes on some of its multi-use trails, but rules dictate all cyclists must keep speeds under 15 mph. Denver has not specifically addressed the issue of e-bikes on its trails. However, the Cherry Creek and South Platte trails only are open to non-motorized uses. more...
$500K Offered for Ideas to Stop Bicyclist/Ped Deaths
CO - "The topic is a bit morbid, but it must be addressed: The number of bicyclists and pedestrians dying on Colorado roads is not declining..." more
Turning Rail Corridors into Public Spaces
"A number of cities have taken the initiative to transform abandoned railway corridors into public city parks..." more
- NC: Lejeune Greenway construction continues
- VA: Negotiations ongoing to finish river greenway in Roanoke
- WVA: Alliance receives grant to study bike trail system
- WI: Milwaukee Is Claiming Its Excess Street Space for Bicycling
- IL: After Cubs Victory, the Streets Were Filled With Happy People Instead of Cars
Great Miami Trail Route Bridge Construction
Dayton, OH - "This week the City of Dayton began work to replace the Helena Street Bridge over the Great Miami River. The project is expected to take more than a full year to complete, and it does close a small portion of the Great Miami River Trail in Dayton." more...
Arkansas Next Big Opportunity Comes Riding In
AR - "It was a dramatic moment as delegations from Arkansas and Tennessee set out at high noon on Oct. 22 from the West Memphis and Memphis ends of the newly christened Big River Crossing -- otherwise known as the Harahan Bridge -- to meet in the middle, shake hands, and dedicate one of the longest bike-pedestrian bridges in the world." more...
- TN: Wolf River Greenway taking shape
- MI: Crockery voters to decide fate of bike path millage
- CO: Bike routes on CSU's campus that cut down on commute time
- WV: New River Gorge, Monongahela National Forest bike trails link to be studied
iTowpath Project Lights Up Highway Underpass
Akron, OH - "...iTowpath encompasses 20 projects all aimed at linking Akron's neighborhoods and creating a hub for community life and recreation around the trail..." more
People for Bikes Advocates for Dangerous Bike Lane Separator
Commentors to this article have pointed out the obvious hazard this treatment presents to cyclists: "No, please don't install these anywhere, they create a massive fall hazard." "Yet again, an organization lobbying safety for all cyclists fails to see the dangers of bad infrastructure design." "Wow, How dangerous!..." "Is this an April Fool's joke?"
Read the article.
Police Hand Out Driving Citations on Protest Night
Portland, OR - "On the same night hundreds of community members took over the lanes on the St. Johns Bridge for a solemn memorial and protest event, the Portland Police Bureau was doing their part to raise awareness of safety issues." more...
- AL: Path under Alabama 20 bridge connects 2 sections of Sims bike trail
- IL: Valparaiso dedicates Vale Park West bike path
- VT: Woodstock Mountain Bike Association Expands Trails
- MN: Black Dog Segment of Minnesota River Greenway Trail Complete
- OR: Road rage on NE 16th between Tillamook and Thompson
- OR: Police blames vulnerable victims while driving deaths spin out of control
- IN: Bike stolen from cyclist killed in hit-and-run
New Camp Chase Trail Section Coming
Columbus, OH - "...During 2017, Metro Parks will construct a 1 mile segment of the Camp Chase Trail & Ohio to Erie Trail Connector inside the Indian Ridge area of the Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park." more...
Man on Trial for Rape on Bike Path
Dayton, OH - "On Thursday, Montgomery County prosecutors recounted details of a now 93-year-old woman's alleged rape on a Dayton bike path in 2013." more...
Bike Crashes Decline Following Safety Campaign
Grand Rapids, MI - "...Between May and September of this year, there were two reported fatal or serious-injury bicycle crashes involving a motorized vehicle. That's an 81-percent decrease from the 11 crashes during the five-month period in 2015." more...
Protected Intersections: The Latest Trend in Cycling Safety
"Cities across North America are investing heavily in protected bike lanes to increase bicycle ridership but a bikeway is only as good as its weakest link." more...
- MT: Whitefish bike path plan ready for prime time
- UT: Trail dispute continues in court
- AZ: Bicycle trail system could start in Pinetop-Lakeside
- WA: Trail plan for new 8,844-acre Lake Whatcom parkland
- KY: Louisville moving ahead with bike-sharing program
- CA: Oakland Forging Ahead With New Ideas for Transportation
- OR: Portland's new bike roundabout and two-way cycling lane
- OR: Repeat offender who drove his car into Mitch York, is out on $2,000 bail
- WA: Roosevelt bike lane opens with Kidical Mass
- VA: New nonprofit hopes to make Elizabeth River Trail glow in the dark
Top 5 Cincy Mean Streets
Cincinnati, OH - "...Cincinnati, as of late, has been awash in automobile vs. pedestrian collisions. In just one short week in October, three pedestrians were killed..." more
Land Conservancy Spreads Green Throughout Northern OH
"...The organization boasts a diverse portfolio. It even celebrated the Cleveland Cavaliers winning season by launching an effort to plant 433 trees..." more
Ohio Hiker May Be Missing
"...Beavercreek, Ohio native Kris Fowler, age 31, set out on a planned, 2,660-mile in May 2016. He had regularly checked in with those who know him, but hasn't been seen or heard from since Oct. 12..." more
JCDecaux's Bike Shares Surpass 700K Long-Term Subscribers
"...number one in self-service bicycle hire, today announces that it has surpassed the 700,000 mark for global long-term subscribers of its bike-sharing schemes..." more
Bikes Belong on Main Streets
"...Trivia question 2: Of all the bicycle trips taken by U.S. adults, how many lead to or from somewhere other than work?" more...
- NC: Woodfin voters to decide future of greenway project
- NC: Official questions greenway extension
- FL: Bike trail projects in Hernando move forward
- IL: 45-acre bike park opens Sunday in southeast Chicago
- TX: Circuit Trail Conservancy Announces Major Funding Update
- OR: Bike Index partners with LeadsOnline to find more stolen bikes
UH Bikes Cleveland-Cuyahoga Bike Share
'Great Miami Riverway' New Brand for Corridor
Miami Valley, OH - "Whether you're looking for restaurants or shops, paddling or cycling, museums or events, you'll find it along the Great Miami Riverway, the new brand for the river corridor." more...
Pueblo Spending $30K on Bike Lane Removal
CO - "Bike lanes that were put in over a year ago in Pueblo are being removed." more...
A Floating Bike Trail On The Chicago River?
Irving Park, IL - "The push is on to create a continuous bike trail along the Chicago River, but one of the biggest obstacles to developing such a path is the lack of available land along various stretches of the waterway." more...
Pedestrian Shaming - an Annual Rite of Halloween
"More pedestrians are killed on Halloween than any other day of the year - by far..." more
How not to Improve Walkability Measures
"Last week, we noticed a small item on Streetsblog: 'Where Walk Score falls short.' Because we're keenly interested in to walkability, and routinely use Walk Score to benchmark walkable places, we clicked the link." more...
- CT: Shoreline Greenway Trail plan divides Guilford residents
- AL: Huntsville looks to connect greenways throughout city
- DC: Meet Anacostia's newest bike trail
- OR: Media coverage of St. Johns Bridge fatality
- WA: Taking Seattle's Pronto-replacing e-bike for a test ride
- NYC: You Can Now Tell 311 About Bike Lane Blockers
- CA: Thief lowers himself from roof with rope, steals money from bike shop
- UK: Dangerous spike 'booby trap' left on popular mountain bike trail in Delamere Forest
$850K Grant for Whiskey Island Connector
Cleveland, OH - "...This project includes engineering, design and construction of a 1 mile all-purpose trail (APT) adjacent to Ed Hauser Way, that connects Edgewater Park and Wendy Park/Whiskey Island." more...
New London-Greenwich Rail Trail Report
"New London-Greenwich Rail Trail Inc. has received a grant to purchase 7.1 miles of Wheeling & Lake Erie Railway property between New London and Greenwich. This group has been working for years to acquire this abandoned rail line to convert it into a rail trail, so this is huge news for them.
"The grant is one of the many Clean Ohio Trails Fund grants given out this year."
Submitted by Joshua Wyrick
Oxford Receives $750K Grant For New Bike Path
Oxford, OH - "...The new trail is only the second phase of a larger trail plan that will encircle Oxford like a wheel, acting as a highway between historic landmarks, neighborhoods and sites like the Black Covered Bridge, Talawanda High School and the Knolls of Oxford." more...
The Midway Protected Bike Network Plan
Cleveland, OH - "The Midway is a proposed world class cycling network, built for everyday Cleveland residents. Cycling is an important mode of transportation for any city. The network will cover 80+ miles to allow safe and convenient mode of active transportation for people on bikes all over the city." more...
Long-Distance Bike Routes to Run Through Tri-County Area
Mansfield, OH - "...A total of five U.S. bike routes and 18 state bike routes are planned throughout Ohio, according to Adam Mellen, ODOT transportation engineer. Two state bike routes and one U.S. bike route will traverse Ashland, Richland and Crawford counties." more...
Protest Ride will 'Take the Lane' on St. Johns Bridge
Portland, OR - "With the community reeling with sadness and anger about the death of Mitch York, a protest ride will happen on the St. Johns Bridge this Thursday." more...
Why Trucks Are So Deadly for Peds & Cyclists
"Large trucks are a leading killer of cyclists and pedestrians in urban areas. While London has recently decided to kick the most dangerous trucks out of the city, in the U.S., truck safety regulations are much further behind." more...
- CA: Competing visions for Santa Rosa's future greenway
- NC: Cross Charlotte Trail will connect Park Road Shopping Center to Tyvola
- NYC: Cyclists want access to Hudson River Greenway path in winter
- CO: Investigators call nail boards on Eagle bike trail an isolated incident
- DC: Missing bike trail link opens new commuting options
- MT: Missoula to purchase land to finish bike trail
- TX: Parkway area residents unhappy with bike path proposal
- IA: Ames bike trails could be connecting to Story County trails
- CA: L.A.'s traffic battle plan
Who Says Bikes & Cars Can't Get Along?
Pittsburgh, PA - "... the bike-vs.-cars debate is as pointless to me as two people arguing the relative merits of the wrench over the screwdriver..." more
Pedestrian Shaming Campaigns
"New York and Pittsburgh are the latest cities to blame walkers for their deadly street design." more...
16 Ways to Design a Better Intersection
"If you think the only purpose of intersections is to move cars past each other, you solve problems like a plumber: with bigger pipes. But wide, barren streets full of traffic don't make a livable city..." more
- TN: Wolf River Greenway Prepares to Move
- AR: Trail plans for Cave Springs still divisive issue for residents
- OR: Trail crew's tractor is stolen, then recovered
- NE: Stonecroft Park path altered
- MD: Baltimore spending millions to grow cycling infrastructure
$15M to Fund Ohio Trail Expansion
Columbus, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Natural Resources says it has approved the funding through Clean Ohio Trails Fund, NatureWorks and Recreational Trails Program grants." more...
- TX: Trail project opens up in El Paso's lower valley
- IL: Rockford region's bike and pedestrian path plan gets a 10-year tune up
- NC: Nearly 2 years later, emergency repairs to greenway approved
- OR: Collision on St Johns Bridge kills bicycle rider
Grant Aids Lakefront Connector Trail
Cleveland, OH - "The Cleveland Metroparks system has won an $850,000 Clean Ohio Grant that will help cover a connecting trail between Edgewater and Whiskey Island. more...
Janette Sadik-Khan at the City Club
Cleveland, OH - "...At about 31:35 [In the video below] Ms. Sadik-Khan discusses the 'new status quo' in Cleveland including the Towpath Trail." more...
Degrees of Separation and Why They Matter
"...Cyclists are not random boxes of corn flakes that you store up on a shelf, out of sight - out of mind." more...
Police Holding Off on Enforcing E-Bike Rules
Steamboat Springs, CO - "...the Steamboat Springs Police Department has not been enforcing the city's current rules that prohibit the bikes on popular commuter trails such as the Yampa River Core Trail." more...
- UT: Students help dig new Beaver Mountain bike trail
- NC: Ribbon cut for greenway connector
- IL: Mell Pulls Plug On Manor Diverter
- MO: City-wide greenway under development
- OR: Travel Oregon mulls need for statewide trails advocacy organization
Honoring the Little Miami Trail & It's Creators
Yellow Springs, OH - "Once controversial but now widely used, the local bike path turned 25 this fall..." more
Hamilton Avenue Gets Some Safety Improvements
Cincinnati, OH - "...Neighbors and business owners demanded something be done after a car hit and killed Sarah Cole, owner of burger restaurant Tickle Pickle, in early September." more...
Yay Bikes! Monthly Newsletter
Read the November edition.
Close Calls Database
"...What Ezis came up with, the Close Call Database, is really ingenious. First, Ezis wants to get as many cyclist 'eyes and ears' out on the road as possible. Now it's not just you out there, but hundreds of other cyclists in your area, all connected via the database." more...
Santa Ana's Bold Plan to Eliminate Traffic Collisions
CA - "...most compelling is the language in the plan that hints at a culture shift in the city away from motorist convenience and towards a focus on pedestrian and bicyclist safety." more...
Planning a Walking School Bus
"...A walking school bus program can be one of the most effective components of a thriving Safe Routes to School program and a healthy, active school environment..." more
Bike Paths Lift Home Values
"Bicycle-friendly amenities are contributing to a surge in property valuesâ€‰in communities across the globe, marshaled by developments in urban centers and suburban outposts that accommodate 'active' transportation." more...
- FL: Greenway land bridge may require expansion in future
- MD: Trail will connect more than 40 miles of PG Country paths to D.C.
- FL: Grant helps county get 8 miles closer to finishing Pinellas Trail
- WI: La Crosse working to expand bike commuter trail
- MD: Baltimore to launch bike-share program Friday
- IL: Soon You'll Be Able To Rent Divvys With Your Ventra App
- CA: Berkeley's Revolutionary Bike Plan
- CO: Bike Stolen From Vet Is No Ordinary Bike
- OR: 2-way bike lane under construction in Northeast Portland
Powell, Liberty Twp. Work to Connect Paths
Powell, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Transportation earlier this month wrapped up work on a $6 million effort to widen Route 750 at and near its intersection with Sawmill Parkway. As part of the project, ODOT constructed at 10-foot-wide multiuse path, which pedestrians and cyclists can follow west to the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium." more...
Nighttime Ribbon Cutting for Towpath Underpass
Akron, OH - "You are invited to 'Light The Night' on Thursday, November 3 at 6:00 pm at the Russell Avenue Underpass for this first-ever nighttime ribbon cutting on the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail." more...
Companies Donate to Conotton Creek Trail
Harrison County, OH - "Those who use the Conotton Creek Trail in Harrison County will be seeing upgrades to the path, made possible by a pair of nearly $10,000 donations from oil and gas companies." more...
Angry Driver Knocks Man Off Bike During Charity Ride
Carlsbad, CA - "A local radio host wants to know why Carlsbad police did not arrest a motorist who knocked him off his bike." more...
Bicyclist Attacked by 4 Men on Bike Path
Madison, WI - "...The men made enough room for the bicyclist to pass by, but as he rode past they knocked him to the ground and beat him." more...
Fairness in Bicycle Planning and Design
"A new bicycle advocacy movement has been growing across the US, and its putting equity at the forefront." more...
- WA: Yakima Greenway links to Naches Trail
- CO: South Suburban awarded $1M to complete segment of Carter Greenway
- IL: Minooka set to start Three Rivers Bike Trail
- MA: Bicyclist exposes himself to woman, tries to grab her
- CO: Denver's newest bike lanes, a visual tour
- MA: State official rides Franklin rail trail
- PA: If there's a SEPTA strike, more will bike
- ME: Pedestrian deaths set a record in Maine last year
- MN: Minneapolis Takes a High-Tech Approach to Street Repair
- OR: New transpo safety plan shows strong commitment to zero deaths
- NYC: Bike bill would let city cyclists follow pedestrian signals
- CHN: Startups Saddle Up for Bike-Sharing Battle
Owl Creek Trail Phase II
Fredericktown, OH - "Council awarded the second phase of the Owl Creek Bike Trail project at a special meeting Monday." more...
Weighing in on Veterans Trail Options
Hudson, OH - "Hudson has proposed three alignment options which all contemplate the use of existing rights of way along public streets in an attempt to reduce the bike path costs to the city..." more
Policy Priorities from Bike/Ped Professionals
"...Here are the lessons learned from the APBP/League Leaders survey." more...
Q&A with DOT Secretary Anthony Foxx
"...The DOT chief, previously mayor of Charlotte, North Carolina, reflected on the promise of autonomous and connected cars, the recent Smart City Challenge, the massive increase in traffic deaths, the potential of the shared vehicles unfolding right outside the window, and more..." more
UN Calls for 'At Least 20%' of Transpo Budgets for Cycling & Walking
"...Lack of investment in safe walking and cycling infrastructure is contributing to the deaths of millions of people and overlooking a great opportunity to contribute to the fight against climate change..." more
- VA: City looks to expand greenway toward Ridgeview Park
- IL: Osterman Proposes Seminars on Sharing the Road
- VA: Work begins on Rocky Gap Greenway
- NC: Council looks to extend Mingo Creek Trail
- MN: New bike trail in Mower County
- FL: Grant paves way for new Cape Coral bike-ped trail
- SC: Furman opens gateway to the Swamp Rabbit Trail
- TN: 30 pedestrians struck & killed in Nashville since Jan. 2015
- OR: County closes carfree path onto the Hawthorne Bridge
Trail Safety Sign Vandalized
DC - "...The mobile message board warned bicyclists on the trail to slow down as they approach Little Falls Parkway where 81-year-old cyclist Ned Gaylin was struck and killed on Oct. 17." more...
Old Theme Park Could Become Bike Park
NJ - "A North Jersey theme park where animals once roamed free may soon become the state's first mountain bike park." more...
- CO: Grants boost trails in Castle Rock, Douglas County
- VA: Officials raise nearly $1M to fund Rocky Gap Greenway
Sidewalks Make a City
Toledo, OH - "A memo sent to Toledo City Council last week raised alarms for one of the city's most essential public spaces: sidewalks." more...
UC Approves $21M for Campus Upgrades
Cincinnati, OH - "...The board unanimously approved $8.2 million in funding to fund the design and construction of a new pedestrian-centered plaza..." more
Bike Share can Help You Build a Strong Town
"...The number of bile share bikes in the world first reached 1,000 with the launch of the Velo'v system in Lyon, France in 2005. By 2015, over 1 million bikes were in circulation on 900 systems worldwide..." more
Should Cities Decriminalize Biking on Sidewalks?
MN - "...The Minneapolis Bicycle Coalition... found that biking while black means you're disproportionately likely to get ticketed by police, prompting them to propose decriminalizing biking on the sidewalks in busy business districts..." more
Your Good (& not so Good) Bike Racks
"This week, as part of our Bikability campaign, we asked readers to share examples of good (and not-so-good) bike racks in their communities..." more
- TX: Boy falls from bike into 15-foot ravine
- WA: Grant helps south county cities connect bike routes
- CT: Proposed greenway trail receives mixed reactions from residents
- FL: Downtown as a Template for Miami's Future
- VA: Capital Bikeshare arrives in Fairfax County
- UK: London to Ban the Deadliest Trucks From Its Streets
- OR: Bike Share System is Coming to the City of Eugene
Group Developing Ped/Bike Plan for Cheviot
Cheviot, OH - "A group of residents are working on a plan the city can use to develop a transportation system for pedestrians and bicyclists." more...
Bay Bridge Bike Path Opens to Yerba Buena Island
San Francisco, CA - "...The 4.5-mile long bike path on the new Bay Bridge opens all the way to Yerba Buena island this weekend." more...
- TN: New Johnston Woods Biking Trail Opens
- ID: MTB Trail Under Construction at Beaver Mountain
- VA: Next phase of Greenway to bridge Ridgeview, downtown
- CO: Tack Strips Found On Popular Mountain Bike Trail
- CAN: $15M bike trail to connect Acadian Peninsula by 2018
- FL: Teen accused of attacking bicycle shop employee
Design is Better Than Enforcement to Make Cities Safer
"Ticketing drivers isn't the answer to create streets that are friendly for pedestrians and cyclists." more...
Senate Approves Road Safety Bills
Kalamazoo, MI - "...The legislation would change state law so drivers must allow five feet of space when they pass a cyclist on the road..." more
- DE: DelDOT offers plan for cyclists riding to Rehoboth Beach
- CA: Bay Bridge bike, pedestrian path to open Sunday
- NC: Greenways Re-Open After Hurricane Matthew - Two Smaller Sections Remain Closed
Park Service to Help with Steubenville Trail
Steubenville, OH - "The National Parks Service has agreed to provide the city assistance in assessing future opportunities and a decision on the feasibility of the city's proposed Ohio Riverfront bike and walking trail." more...
$1.4M Trail Bridge Nearly Complete
Galena Brick Trail Grand Re-Opening
Galena, OH - "The Village of Galena invites you to the grand re-opening of the Galena Brick Trail, improved with a $286,592 Clean Ohio Trail Fund grant and many local contributions, at noon October 26 at the Depot Lot, 268 N. Walnut St."
Source: Bike Commuting in Columbus
Cleveland Metroparks Dedicates New Trail
Bedford Heights, OH - "The Cleveland Metroparks' Forbes Crossing trail that was dedicated early Thursday afternoon may well be a model for low-cost improvements." more...
$Millions Shine on a Promising Future for Florida Trails
FL - "The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) recently awarded more than $44.4 million to 45 trail projects across 21 counties through its Shared Use Nonmotorized (SUN) Trail program!..." more
Bike Trail Crash Suit Settled
NE - "...According to the lawsuit, Nathan, then 13, was riding with his dad in Wilderness Park when his bike hit the ties and he fell 25 feet into a gap between the edge of the bridge's path and a guard rail..." more
City of Cycling: Networks
NYC - "...The idea of a network of bicycle lanes, greenways, and speedways is so new to New York City that the potential for interconnection is just beginning to surface..." more
How a Little Paint can Transform a Street
Quito, Ecuador - "It doesn't take long to change the character and safety of a street. All you need is some paint, plantings and more space for pedestrians." more...
Kid Uses Lamborghini as a Stunt Ramp
Singapore - "A teenager in Singapore got off shockingly easy after he was caught on camera riding his bike across the hood of a Lamborghini last week." more...
- IN: Clarksville makes offer to buy former rail line
- MA: DCR now says 'early 2017' for Greenway opening
- NYC: Bike/Ped Path Doesn't Have to Cost as Much as the MTA Claims
- CO: BLM again investigating mountain bike trail sabotage
- AK: Advocates for bike trail system envision extensive new links
- NH: Northampton underpass project under way off King Street
- GA: Decatur bike plan proposes path to the Beltline
- PA: Center City Philadelphia Commuters Increasingly Arriving by Bike
- IL: Final Segment of the Chicago Riverwalk Set to Open
- TX: Bicyclists push for safer roads with Prop 1
- WA: Kill Pronto now or make lemonade out of the existing stations?
- NYC: Safe Streets, Not 'Women's Bike Month,' Will Fix 2-Wheeled Gender Gap
Akron Zoo Unveils New Bike Shelter
Akron, OH - "Biking to the Akron Zoo, and around Akron, is now more convenient, thanks to the zoo's new bike shelter and amenities." more...
UA Trying to Make Bike Share Connections
Upper Arlington, OH - "...Last month, Upper Arlington joined with Bexley, Grandview Heights and Columbus to apply for a $912,450 grant that, if awarded, would provide funding for the installation of 26 new bicycle-sharing stations in the four communities." more...
Village Renames Greenway Trail
Mayfield, OH - "...The name of the two-year-old all-purpose trail that winds its way through scenic sites and a business district west of S.O.M. Center Road is now known as the Bruce G. Rinker Greenway..." more
Your City Wants to be Bike Friendly. Now What?
Cleveland, OH - "...The idea is to test where bike lanes will do the most good. If they aren't increasing ridership or improving safety, that may indicate a larger issue with the road (that bike lanes cannot fix)." more...
Does Walk Score Walk the Walk?
"...Walk Score does NOT serve as an accurate, reliable measure of walkability for neighborhoods with Walk Scores under 70 and in lower-income areas." more...
When People Aren't Afraid to Walk in the Street
"'Shared spaces' are streets where driving is allowed but walking and biking take priority..." more
Transforming 16 Cities into Tech-Friendly Labs
"Cities across the country are clamoring for technological upgrades to transform themselves from cities of the past into 'smart cities' of the future..." more
- NC: Hambright family donates $25,000 toward greenway completion
- VA: Driver use a bike trail to get around rush-hour traffic
- TX: New, Improved Hike and Bike Trail for Edinburg Residents
- DE: Lewes-Georgetown bike trail ribbon cutting today
- OR: Police surprise Craigslist seller to help woman get her stolen bike back
- WA: Can the Eastside Trail open by 2020?
Wasson Way Trail Project Receives $750K
Cincinnati, OH - "The City of Cincinnati has been awarded $750,000 in federal Transportation Alternatives grant funding for the Wasson Way Trail project. The funds will go toward construction of Phase 2A of the trail, which will extend from Floral Avenue in Evanston to Tamarack Avenue in Hyde Park." more...
OKI Funding in OH, KY
Cincinnati, OH - "...More than $4.9 million will fund the widening of Harrison Avenue from Wesselman Road to Harrison Greene. Sidewalks will also be installed. A shared use trail will be constructed from South Filview Circle to Wesselman Road." more...
Trails as Part of the Transportation Network
"Keith Laughlin is the president of Rails to Trails Conservancy, which transforms unused rail corridors into vibrant public places - ensuring a better future for America made possible by trails and the connections they inspire..." more
New Guide for Street Planners
"...The National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) and the Global Designing Cities Initiative just unveiled the Global Street Design Guide, the first-ever worldwide standard for redesigning city streets..." more
- IL: Advocates Imagine A 27-Mile Riverfront Bike Trail For Chicago
- NZ: Deal opens up spectacular bike trail
- AR: Residents Object to the Razorback Greenway Trail Expansion
- NYC: Committee Votes for Hilly Greenway Detour in Riverside Park
- DC: Montgomery County's second protected bikeway just opened
- OR: Cargo trike company takes over delivery for SoupCycle
- WA: Interbay collision critically injures man biking Monday evening
- WI: New fund introduced to build bike trail between Middleton and Mazomanie
Pavement Marking Work on Columbus Greenways
Columbus, OH - "During the week of October 17th-21st there will be pavement marking installations taking place along the Olentangy, Scioto, and Alum Creek Greenway trails. The trails will remain open and warning signage will be placed in the work areas."
MetroParks Not Resting on its Laurels
Dayton, OH - "...The FiveRivers MetroParks, having recently been recognized for its quality of operations, is rolling out a 10-year master plan aimed at how it can improve the park system in the Dayton region..." more
20 Bike Share Stations Opening in Baltimore
MD - "In a little under two weeks, bike share will officially launch in Baltimore. That means if you don't own a bike, but feel like going for a ride, you can do so through a rental station for as little as $2." more...
81-Year-Old Trike Rider Killed in Crosswalk
Bethesda, MD - "...Ned Gaylin, of Chevy Chase, died after he was hit in a marked crosswalk on the Capital Crescent Trail, crossing Little Falls Parkway, Montgomery County police said." more...
Why Don't Drivers and Cyclists Get Along?
"The tension between drivers and cyclists sometimes escalates into frightening bouts of rage and even intentional damage and injuries." more...
- TX: Ribbon-cutting opens Schanen Hike and Bike Trail
- WI: County fund will build bike trail between Middleton, Mazomanie
- NYC: Hudson Greenway Detour, Bike-Share in Brooklyn
- NC: Ribbon-cutting event set for greenway
- CAN: City unveils new designs for temporary paths
- PA: Philly takes step toward safer streets with new hire
- MT: This traffic cone rises above the rest
- OR: PBOT will install permanent crosswalk and median island at site of Fallon Smart's death
Cyclist Struck; Driver Flees on Foot
Cincinnati, OH - "A bicyclist suffered life-threatening injuries Sunday after being struck in Over-the-Rhine..." more
Bike Activists Plan Rally After Recent Deaths
Cambridge, MA - "Bicycling advocates plan to rally at Cambridge City Hall Monday night as officials convene to discuss proposals to make the streets safer in a city that has seen the deaths of two cyclists in recent months." more...
- IN: A little bit of detail on Nickel Plate Trail
- SD: Rapid City to install bat houses along Rapid Creek Greenway
- TN: Norton blazing trails toward brighter future
- TX: Waco may scuttle plans for steel bridge on Cameron Park river trail
- AZ: North Phoenix Trail dedication
- MN: Could an I-94 'land bridge' help heal a 50-year-old civic scar?
New Towpath Dedicated in Bolivar
Bolivar, OH - "...The group dedicated a section of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail that connects State Route 212, on the west side of Bolivar, with the segment that runs along village sidewalks..." more
Bronx River Greenway to get $40M Facelift
NYC - "...The event announced the start of an approximately $40 million multi-phase project restoring the Bronx River's shoreline, extending Starlight Park and closing a major 2/3-mile gap in the 23-mile Bronx River Greenway." more...
- TX: Ribbon-cutting opens Schanen Hike and Bike Trail
- WI: Manitowish Waters bike trail project delayed after criticism
- NY: Saratoga Springs bike path connector on hold
- IN: Gov. Pence dedicates bike park to fallen soldier Dale Griffin
More 'Share the Road' Signs Coming Down
Toledo, OH - "...Lucas County officials are trying to promote harmony between car drivers and bicycle riders on a busy stretch of Monclova Road that is a favorite route for bicyclists who use the Wabash Cannonball Trail." more...
Police Warn Peds, Drivers During Spike in Road Deaths
Cincinnati, OH - "...Six Tri-Staters have been killed by cars while walking or biking in the last month. That doesn't include the 77-year-old woman fighting for her life after a hit-and-run driver struck her down in a crosswalk at Ninth and Central Downtown Tuesday night." more...
Mansfield Considering Bike Routes
OH - "Mansfield City Council is set to consider resolutions supporting the designation of two official bike routes through Richland County." more...
Trail Mail - LMST Newsletter
Read the October Issue.
Rails to Trails eNews
Read the latest edition.
Popular Trail Earns Scathing Reviews from Mountain Bikers
Colorado Springs, CO - "...Instead of the rough-and-tumble singletrack he'd traveled 90 minutes to experience, what he and two companions found was a freshly cut scar in the woods wide enough for a car... more
Bike Boxes Finally Approved in U.S.
"The wheels of change grind slowly at the institutions that guide the American traffic engineering establishment, but they are moving forward." more...
How Pope Francis Got More People Riding
"#PopenStreets - seriously! - helped Philly's bike advocates (and one cycling skeptic) get more butts on bikes." more...
- IL: Carol Stream bike trail nearing completion
- MI: Bike trail connector 'not just a hole in a hill'
- IL: $2M awarded for Sherman-Williamsville bike/hike path
- FL: State sends $8.1 million for Volusia trails
- DC: In a week, Reston and Tysons will have Capital Bikeshare!
- OR: Off-road trails at Gateway Green will soon be a reality
- WA: Paving projects must also complete our streets
- IN: Aurora, Lawrenceburg Pedaling Toward Bike Share Program
Changes to Center Street in Hilliard
Hilliard, OH - "...It now is a one-way street for vehicles but a two-way thoroughfare for bicycles and pedestrians, who have a dedicated lane." more...
World-Class Trail Network Being Developed
DC - "...Although D.C. currently has hundreds of miles of trails on the ground -- used and cherished by the area's 3 million residents as well as tens of millions of visitors annually -- they are not all connected in a cohesive, easy-to-navigate network..." more
Student Attacked on Bike Trail
CA - "A female student was attacked on the bike trail located near the American River while leaving campus on Thursday morning, police said." more...
L.A.'s Bike Share not as Popular
CA - "RRidership on Los Angeles County's new bicycle sharing system has been smaller in its first months than on similar programs in other major U.S. cities, a Times analysis found." more...
Tech Alone Can't Make Cycling Safer
"...The terrible news is that the increase in cyclists has been accompanied by an increase in gruesome accidents..." more
China Might Lead the World Back to the Bicycle
"...As recently as 1986, 63 percent of Beijingers used a bike as their primary mode of transportation." more...
Robin Williams' Rare Bike Collection goes to Auction
"Late actor's private bicycle collection is put up for auction in aid of charity, includes rare team, one-off and limited edition road bikes." more...
- MD: Cleveland Avenue changes move forward as residents cry foul
- TN: First Creek Greenway development to begin in December
- MI: New gathering place being unveiled along Detroit greenway
- TX: Officials Break Ground On New Segment Of The Bayou Greenway
- DC: Coalition Hopes to Connect Every Bike Trail in Washington
- TX: Pilot 'free bike' program on hiatus
- NC: How turning an old train track into a trail helped transform Charlotte
- KY: Riverfront Design Moves Forward - Maybe
- OR: Sheriff's office blames deceased victim in early morning collision
- KY: OKI awards $7.17m for Riverfront Commons, other improvements
Towpath Work in Zoar
Zoar, OH - "Work is scheduled to begin next Monday, October 17th, to construct bike lanes along State Route 800 for the Ohio Erie Canal Towpath Trail at the intersection of State Route 212 in Tuscarawas County east of Zoar." more...
Plan for Harbin Park Upgrades
Fairfield, OH - "Expanding or adding walking and biking trails along with replacing the main playground are just some of the components of a draft master plan for Harbin Park." more...
What's a Mixing Zone?
"...A mixing zone, also called a combined lane, is where bicyclists and motorists can expect to merge. The most common mixings are a right turn lane and bike lane at an intersection..." more
Pittsburgh Emerging as a Transportation Leader
PA - "Pittsburgh's time to shine has come. The city has been thrust into the national spotlight, viewed by many transportation leaders as one of the nation's promising blueprints for how cities can finally do transportation well." more...
Youths Accused of Robberies on Trail
Houston, TX - "Houston police examine a gun that they said they recovered from eight youths accused of robbing people on a hike-and-bike trail on Houston Avenue Wednesday." more...
Edmonton's Quick-Build Protected Bike Lane Grid
CAN - "...On Monday, Edmonton proved how contagious a good idea can be." more...
Cycling Desire Lines
"...So how do you start deciding where to place bike lanes? The best strategy is to build bike lanes where people are already cycling..." more
- FL: Cape Coral receives $1.8M grant for bike trail
- FL: Work progressing on Coast to Coast bike trail in Titusville
- MA: Plans to expand Watertown bike paths move forward
- CT: Shoreline Greenway Trail Seeks Expansion Through Tabor Site
- OR: Bike law expert says PBOT's crossbike markings create confusion
- WA: Roosevelt bike lane gets November opening party
- CA: San Francisco Makes a Guerrilla Bike Lane Permanent
- CA: Can: Can a trail between San Gabriel and Rio Hondo rivers ever be built?
Bolivar Towpath Completion Ribbon Cutting
Babysitter Struck, Killed While Pushing Stroller
Cincinnati, OH - "A Greenhills woman has died one day after she was struck by a pickup truck while walking with two children in a stroller Monday, police said." more...
Driver Runs Down Protesters
Reno, NV - "The Reno Police Department has not arrested anyone in connection to a Monday incident in which a driver drove through a group of Columbus Day protesters and seriously injured 59-year-old Kitty Colbert." more...
The War on Bikes Should be History
Seattle, WA - "The Seattle Police Department is investigating who has been spreading carpet tacks along the Westlake bike track in recent weeks." more...
Florida gets $44M to Design and Build Trails
FL - "...Of the region's four projects that received money, all but one are part of the 275-mile Coast to Coast Connector between the Canaveral National Seashore and downtown St. Petersburg..." more
Want to Stop Pedestrian Deaths? Criminalize Walking!
CAN - "That's what they are doing in Toronto these days, and citizens are revolting." more...
Utrecht Claims More Road Space for People
Netherlands - "...The current council is delivering on what the former council decided: the car is no longer king in Utrecht. The closer to the city centre, the more people friendly the city has to be..." more
- NYC: Bronx River Greenway Gets Tranoformation Worth Nearly $40M
- WI: Hurdles cleared for completion of Dodgeville to Milwaukee bike trail
- IL: Ride Illinois honors Aurora for bike-trail extension project
- PA: Program scaring pedestrians into being safe
- OR: First look at Portland bikeway upgrades
- IN: Engineering firm hired to plan, reassemble 105-year-old bridge on People Trails
Guerrilla Bike Lane Posts To Become Official
San Francisco, CA - "You may have noticed a new set of soft-hit posts on the right-hand turn from John F. Kennedy Drive to Kezar Drive appear in the last couple of weeks. A group of private citizens put them there without permission. ..." more
Mountain Bikers Take Cover From Gunfire
WA - "They were riding on trails in the Capitol State Forest when bullets whizzed within fifteen feet of them - and you thought big gaps were scary!..." more
Bear Attacks Hiker in San Gabriel Mountains
Sierra Madre, CA - "A 53-year-old hiker who had encountered one bear was attacked by another Monday in the San Gabriel Mountains east of Los Angeles, authorities said." more...
Toronto Offers Lessons for Chicago Cycling
CAN - "In Canada's largest city, bike lanes are as plentiful as poutine." more...
How to Make city Street More Friendly
"...The Friendly Streets Initiative grew out of a group of volunteers working with various neighborhood organizations to make biking and walking safer in St. Paul..." more
- PA: Bike trail proposed in Fulton, Bedford counties
- WI: Facing criticism, DNR delays review of bike path
- MI: New bike trail connector in Walker to open this week
- IL: Lincolnwood strips sidewalks from proposed bike path
- IA: New loop off Summerset Trail opens in Carlisle
- NYC: Street for Cyclists May Be Solution as NYC Faces Subway Shutdown
- CAN: Anti-theft measures cut bike thefts by 60 per cent on Granville Island
- MN: Velodrome, Cycling Center Planned For 2019
- WA: Seattle picks young Quebec company for new e-assist bike share system
Philly Employer Adds New Benefit for Bicycle Commuters
PA - "...This means that for regular bike commuters, expenses like tuneups, new bike lights and replacement handlebars will be covered for up to $20 per month or $240 per year." more...
St. Paul's First Elevated Bikeway Debuts
MN - "The Capital City Bikeway, a new two-way bike route elevated to be level with the sidewalk, debuted this week along Jackson Street in downtown St. Paul..." more
London's Media is Seriously Hating on Bicycle Lanes
UK - "Complaints about new bike lanes are common - and inaccurate." more...
- WV: Special Bikes Provided To Special Needs Children in Wheeling
- WI: Interest expressed in completing Altoona trail section
- NZ: Cycle trail a $37 million boost for regions
- WY: Cheyenne Greenway added to local Google Street View maps
- UT: Teens in juvenile detention learn to rebuild bikes
Kingston Seeks $40K for Rail Trail Staircase
Kingston, NY - "...The 35-foot-tall staircase will reduce the length that trail users have [to travel] to get out of the section that runs a combined 1,000 feet for the tunnel and adjacent ravine..." more
Greenway Trailhead Project Upgraded
Leetonia, OH - "The village will be investing more money into the Greenway Bike Trail trailhead project at the coke ovens, but will receive even greater funding to enhance the finished product." more...
The 2016 Bike Cities Hall of Shame
"Because even the greatest cycling towns sometimes get it wrong." more...
Innovative Capital City Bikeway Opens
St. Paul, MN - "...Though it doesn't get you very far right now, the bikeway lays out an ambitious vision for downtown streets, where if you use your rose-colored imagination, it's possible to glimpse a streetscape revolution..." more
- MI: Should Ann Arbor expand greenway trail study limits to Ellsworth Road?
- NC: Greenway bridge named after fallen cyclist
- IL: Lincolnwood officially opens new Valley Line Bike Trail
- MI: First sections of new Avalanche bike trails open
- MI: Two women bicyclists killed in crash on Wamplers Lake Road
Lake Loop Trail Dedicated
Lunken Airport Trail Closed
Cincinnati, OH - "Lunken Airport Running/Biking Trail (5 mile trail) is closed near MM 1.00 for the next 2 weeks due to a Duke Energy project..." more
Cars Don't Have Exclusive Domain
Columbus, OH - "The Monday Dispatch article 'Changing the mix' included the unfortunate headline 'North High Street drivers to lose territory to parking lanes, bicycles and wider sidewalks.' It perpetuates the ideology that streets belong only to cars. Wrong." more...
Cleveland Metroparks Named Nation's Best
Cleveland, OH - "...This award is the fourth time the Cleveland Metroparks system has earned the award, and the first time under the leadership of Chief Executive Officer Brian M. Zimmerman." more...
Summit Meto Parks Purchases Valley View Golf Club
Akron, OH - "Akron might have lost a golf course, but it's gaining some park space and access to the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath - thanks to the Summit Metro Parks' purchase of the Valley View Golf Club." more...
Cyclist Struck During Pedestrian Safety Rally
Cincinnati, OH - "...David Lowe was carrying a sign on his bike, trying to honor his friend, Sarah Cole, who was killed on Hamilton Avenue four weeks ago, when he became a victim himself." more...
London's Bold New Plans to Cross The River Thames
UK - "Three new eastern crossings are promised - for trains, bikes, and cars. Guess which one is controversial. more...
Electric Mountain Bikes Face Bans in Bay Area
CA - "...as their numbers on Bay Area trails grow and land-use officials ponder restrictions, conflict and controversy are bound to follow. more...
- NYC: Groundbreaking held for new extension of Bronx River Greenway
- WA: City now requires 72 hours notice for bike lane or greenway closures
- MN: What's new with bike trail construction around Becker County
- MI: First sections of new Avalanche bike trails open
- PA: Pittsburgh to launch new mobility and infrastructure department in 2017
- FIN: Helsinki to build three car-free bridges
Engineering Approved for Final Greenway Link
Warren, OH - "...the fourth phase will be about four miles in length and link the cities of Warren (at Burton Street SE) and Niles (Church Street near downtown), completing about 70 miles of bike trail, traversing four counties." more...
Bike Route Proposed for Old Lincoln Highway
Mansfield, OH - "Ohio wants to designate the Old Lincoln Highway that follows the former route of U.S. 30 through Richland County as part of the state's first U.S. and state bike route network." more...
Grove City Wants Bike Paths to Link Parks
Grove City, OH - "Grove City is seeking financial assistance to get rolling on a long-term goal of creating a bicycle path that would lead from the Meadow Grove Park to the new Scioto Grove Metro Park." more...
Yay Bikes! Newsletter
Read the October edition.
Safe Routes to School Newsletter
Read the October edition.
BeltLine Visionary Speaks Out on His Very Public Resignation
GA - "...it was a big deal last week when Gravel announced he was resigning from the Atlanta BeltLine Partnership Board - the funding arm of the project - due to concerns about gentrification." more...
10% Rise in Traffic Deaths in First Half of 2016
"Traffic deaths in the United States rose 10.4 percent in the first half of this year compared with the same period in 2015, maintaining a steady climb." more...
Feds Aim to Eliminate Traffic Deaths
"..."'Our vision is simple -- zero fatalities on our roads,' said Department of Transportation (DOT) Secretary Anthony Foxx..." more
- PA: Secretaries Ride Proposed Pike2Bike Trail in Breezewood
- NC: Bridge may honor cyclist killed
- IN: Trail bridge closed, to be replaced
- OR: Proposed Oregon bike trail unnerves farmers
- WA: It's not just tracks Seattle cyclists need to worry about
- TX: Cities pursue bicycle, pedestrian friendliness with new trails
- OR: Portland, it's not just bicyclists who want safer streets
- OR: PBOT removes Hawthorne memorial
- WA: Seattle mayor's budget includes big sidewalk boost
Cyclist in Critical Condition After Being Struck
Columbus, OH - "Police are investigating a crash that sent a person riding a bicycle to the hospital in critical condition." more...
Owl Creek Bike Trail Phase 2
Fredericktown, OH - "...Phase II includes removal of a house near the Kokosing River, as well as clearing of the area around the property." more...
Does Cycling Contribute to a City's Gentrification?
"...does this urban phenomenon really arrive on two wheels - or is new cycle infrastructure a sign the street has already transformed?" more...
1st U.S. Dutch-Style Unsignalized Intersection
TX - "...The protected intersection includes bright green solar luminescent pavement markings used to delineate the bicycle pathways - also a first use in the United States..." more
Jogger Wields Knife to Fight Off Attacker
Detroit, MI - "...The victim, armed with a knife, swung it at her attacker and he took off." more...
Mother Dies from Bike Crash
UK - "...Carmen Greenway, 41, is believed to have had one hand on the bike as she hit a bumpy patch of road and lost control while returning from having dinner at a pub." more...
- NC: Apex hopes to more than double greenway mileage by 2020
- NYC: Parks Dept. Implements Hudson River Greenway Detour
- NC: Middle Fork Greenway celebrates newest land purchase
- PA: Architects will study bike trail from Flight 93 to Johnstown
- TX: What Killed Dill: 'Failure to Yield Right of Way' or Awful Streets?
- MN: Pedestrian deaths up 60 percent so far this year
- NV: Las Vegas Doubles Down on the Bicycle
- OR: Activists and PBOT spar over unsanctioned crosswalk
North Coast Inland Trail to Link to Lake Erie
Lorain County, OH - "By the summer of 2018, hikers and bikers will be able to travel from Kipton, in the southwestern corner of Lorain County, to Lake Erie in Lorain near the Spitzer Marina, thanks to a new, 11,000-foot trail." more...
Trail Runners Chased by Clown
Newark, OH - "...Chase Prior claims he and friend Patrick Williams were out for an early morning run in Newark, Ohio, when they saw a man dressed as a clown nearby." more...
Bear Knocks Woman Off Bike
Florence, MA - "One minute Sam Rizzo was riding her bicycle to work in the darkness before dawn. The next, she says, she was fleeing a black bear." more...
Traffic Garden Teaches Kids Rules of the Road
Seatlle, WA - "...But beyond just being fun, the playground (sometimes referred to as a 'traffic garden') can also teach kids how to bike on public streets safely..." more
Maybe It's Time to Change Road Rules for Cyclists
"Like many bicycle commuters across America, Kurt Holzer looks at a stop sign and sees a suggestion rather than a command..." more
The 4 Biggest Sins Committed By Reporters Covering Pedestrian Deaths
"...Maybe it would seem more urgent if the press covered pedestrian deaths as the preventable outcome of a broken system, instead of a series of random 'accidents.'" more...
- NY: Huntington officials demolishing BMX bike trail at Melville park
- DE: Work on $18.5 million Christina River crossing, trail to start next month
- MA: Massachusetts invests in bike lanes, but construction funding dips
- VA: Richmond Waiting to Unlock Bike Share
- WA: Seattle's Westlake Bikeway is Finally a Reality!
- CA: Police buy walk-to-work teen a bicycle
- CA: California's Distracted Driving Law Just Got Tougher
- NYC: De Blasio Signs Right of Way and Bike Access Bills
- KY: Man charged in crash that killed boy riding bike to school
North High Street Slated for Road Diet
Columbus, OH - "...City officials say High Street already functions with only two lanes during rush hour because the curb lane is occupied by cars parked at meters..." more
The Economic Impact of Chicago's Repurposed Railways
IL - "...Calling it a bike path doesn't really do The 606 justice; it's a linear park, with heavily landscaped gardens, swooping on-and-off ramps, and public art..." more
Removing Urban Freeways Gains Fresh Traction
"When highways reach the end of their useful life, it is often cheaper to extract them than it is to replace or repair them." more...
- PA: 3 rail-trails in Lancaster County on track to completion in 2018
- UK: London to ban trucks with lousy driver visibility
- FL: Man Jailed Over Milk Crate Attached to Bike
- GER: Police stop Arnold Schwarzenegger riding bike in Munich station
Milford Trail Repair Options Considered
Hit-and-Run Sends Reporter to ER
New Orleans, LA - "...For the past few months I've been riding my bike to work, a distance of about 4 miles each way..." more
- SD: Vote doesn't guarantee a bike trail
- WI: Former Madison Police Capt didn't stop at stop sign in bike crash
- IL: Lake County challenges bikers, hikers to tackle completed river trail
Westerville Contracts Sunbury Rd Work
Westerville, OH - "...It will also add curbs, storm sewers, street lights, a sidewalk on the west side of the street and a multi-use trail along Hoover Reservoir on the east side." more...
- IN: New Albany breaks ground on more Greenway
- CT: More Guilford residents call for details of greenway plan
New Ohio-to-Erie Trail Maps Coming in February
Columbus, OH - "The pre-sale for OTET 2017 maps begins October 1..." more
Trust Donation to Build Trail at OSU
Marion, OH - "...The Ray and Charlotte Baldauf Charitable Trust is contributing $100,000 toward planning and construction of a trail loop that will incorporate the leg already constructed adjacent to University Drive." more...
Driver Pulls Gun on Cyclist and Son
SC - "Former professional cyclist George Hincapie has posted details of an incident whereby a motorist pulled a gun on him after trying to run him off the road as Hincapie and his 8 year-old son Enzo were out on a bike ride." more...
Bicycle-Friendly Streets Are Good for People Who Don't Ride
"Benefits abound for those with no intention of ever getting on a bike." more...
Why Does Technology Continue to Put Cars before People?
"On Australia's roads, one pedestrian is killed every two days, the majority in metropolitan areas..." more
How "Within Walking Distance" Does not always Mean "Walkable"
"I like to ride the San Diego Trolley when I visit family there, but the mile walk from the station to their house is so, so awful that it always makes me think twice about riding the train..." more
- CO: Bike Path from Denver to Glenwood Springs Opens
- VT: Mountain bike trails expand, play larger role in state parks
- WI: Bicyclist in critical condition in crash with garbage truck
- IL: Aurora wins award for downtown bike lane project
- CA: Despite the controversy, Silver Lake's 'road diet' worked
- WA: Seattle's new bike map much more legible
- OR: Ghost walker appears where man was hit crossing North Greeley
- OR: Lawyer seeks info on hit-and-run at Interstate near Steel Bridge
Upcoming Towpath Closure in CVNP
Brecksville, OH - "The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be closed to the general public starting at dusk Saturday, October 8 until 2 p.m. on Sunday, October 9 [due to the Towpath Marathon]..." more
Aurora Looks at Future of Cycling
Aurora, OH - "...On Sept. 17, a mix of about 20 local officials and area bicyclists met to discuss ways to improve bicycling." more...
Great Miami River Trail Closure
Dayton, OH - " The North Great Miami Recreation trail is closed between Little York/Rip Rap area and 5949 Rip Rap Road. This area is behind the Miami Villa neighborhood and will be closed for two to three days while the Miami Conservancy District works to reinforce the river bank in the area."
Property Owner Offers Towpath Progress Report
Bolivar, OH - "...In Sept 2016 the village of Bolivar, Ohio and the Bolivar Mainstreet Association Towpath Trail Committee developed the trail from downtown Bolivar to about 20 feet from my property line..." more
Coach Cited in Crash with Bicyclist
Columbus, OH - "...Columbus Police Sgt. Brooke Wilson said Schiano ran a red light at the intersection of Lane Avenue and Fred Taylor Drive around 6:30 a.m..." more
Sandusky Gears Up for National Bicycle Network
Sandusky, OH - "The path for a new national bike trail network spans through Sandusky." more...
3 Feet Law goes to Ohio Senate
"...we need to get HB154, the 3-foot rule, through the Ohio Senate so it can become state law..." more
More Bike Lanes set for Downtown, East Street
Pittsburgh, PA - "Bicyclists navigating Downtown thoroughfares should have another dedicated route to avoid cars and trucks by late 2017." more...
Why Are American Traffic Fatalities Rising So Quickly?
"Summer is barely over but this much is already clear: Traffic safety on American streets is taking a big step backward in 2016." more...
Highlighting the Need for Bike Infrastructure
"...It's important that our policy makers understand the importance of having good bike infrastructure." more...
- UT: Feds change signage on trailhead
- NC: Celebration of 12-Acre Land Purchase for Middle Fork Greenway
- CO: You can now bike from DIA to Glenwood Springs
- GA: Ryan Gravel and Nathaniel Smith resign from Beltline's fundraising arm
- WA: Pedestrian waits 26 minutes for crosswalk signal to turn green
- OR: New drive-through proposals come with east Portland ban
- MO: Beer company contest could help maintain Missouri's 360-mile Ozark Trail
Does Columbus Do Bike Lanes Right?
Columbus, OH - "What is it about a growing city that breeds a contemptuous relationship for bikers?" more...
Citi Bike Routinely Hitting 60,000 Trips Per Day
NYC - "With 67,489 trips last Wednesday, Citi Bike hit a new daily ridership peak for the ninth time this month, according to an email sent to members this morning. Riders have made 10 million Citi Bike trips so far in 2016, reaching the milestone more three months earlier than last year." more...
2016 Deadly Year for Minnesota Peds
MN - "Minnesota crash statistics paint a glum picture of pedestrian deaths in 2016, and the long-term trends around pedestrian injuries aren't much better." more...
Redesigning Crosswalks Could Make Cities Safer
"...What we wanted to do was think about making [crosswalks] into a park-like space..." more
Cities Around the World are Eliminating Parking Lots
"It's a traditional complaint about urban life: there's never anywhere to park. But in the 21st century, do cities actually need less parking space, not more?" more...
- GA: Six Coastal Greenway projects receive funding
- IN: Nappanee may get another bicycle trail
- CO: Bear Creek bike path has dangerous crossing
- AK: New counter tracks number of Coastal Trail cyclists
- WA: Seattle Approves 20 MPH Speed Limit on Residential Streets
- WA: Seattle approves lower speed limits, but the work isn't done
- FL: Troopers give peds flashlights
- CHN: Largest ride-hailing company investing in bikes
- OR: Arbor Lodge neighbors to hold vigil after spate of tragedies
Proposed Bike Lane Divides Columbus Residents
Columbus, OH - "While motorists are preparing for Indianola Avenue to slim down, cyclists can expect things to get a little easier." more...
The Future of Transportation in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "...When it comes to transportation in Cleveland, area residents have a lot of ideas, as evidenced at the 2016 Sustainable Cleveland Summit." more...
What Kind of Transportation System do you want in NE Ohio?
Provide your input.
An Awful Week for Bike Crashes in the Chicago Region
IL - "This has been a terrible week for bike fatalities and injuries in the metropolitan area, with at least two deaths and two serious injury crashes in the city and suburbs..." more
Paris will Turn Highway along Seine Into Walkway
FRA - "The Paris City Council has approved a controversial plan to transform a stretch of highway that runs along the Seine River through central Paris into a pedestrian-only zone." more...
'Share the Road' is an Insidious Phrase
"It's hardly uncommon for a phrase to transform into a policy statement purely by virtue of being glib, but perhaps nowhere is this more so than in the road safety industry..." more
The Right and Wrong Way to Do Vision Zero
"Vision Zero is the Swedish strategy that has successfully and dramatically reduced the number of deaths of pedestrians...
...The Big New Idea for protecting pedestrians [in Toronto] is to put up big yellow signs telling drivers that they must yield to pedestrians/cyclists instead of crushing them..." more
Bike Manufacturer Reduces Shipping Damage by Tricking Shippers
"Dutch manufacturer Vanmoof discovers that printing a picture of a flatscreen TV on their bike boxes reduces delivery damages by 70-80 per cent." more...
- TN: Fallout from Forest Service damage to Trail of Tears escalates
- NE: Council's agenda includes new section of hike-bike trail
- MT: Billings man stabbed along West End bike path
- PA: Philadelphia finally opens first protected bike lanes
- WA: Seattle to get lower speed limits
- D.C.: Building sidewalks and bike lanes to Metrorail stations increases safety
- OR: Bike Theft Task Force helps nab prolific garage burglar
- CAN: Downtown Edmonton Bike lanes possible by 2017 for $7.5M
- IL: Chicago's Award for Best Biking City - Do We Deserve It?
- CA: 17 CicLAvia and other open streets events are coming LAâ€™s way
- CA: Anonymous San Franciscans Are Making Renegade Bike Lanes
- NJ: A dooring defense in New Jersey
- IL: Woman Struck, Killed While Riding Bike In Roscoe Village
Vancouver's Network of Safe, Protected Cycletracks
Do Cycling Helmets Save Lives?
"A new study has put to bed the notion that helmets can make cycling injuries worse or prevent people from riding, researchers say." more...
Read a counterpoint perspective on this study.
- NC: Statesville accepts $1.2 million federal grant for greenway
- NY: Hudson Valley bike trail getting $3.5 million grant
- CO: Planning begins for Paths to Mesa Verde trail
- WI: Negotiations ongoing for Rails to Trails land
- VA: Ragged Mountain discussion points to future decision-making on trail use
Cleveland Radio Show Angers Cyclists
Cleveland, OH - A radio show that spewed hateful comments toward cyclists has drawn outrage from the cycling community. Here's a letter from Bike Cleveland that's directed at CBS Radio, the owners.
Amtrak Expands Bicycle Program along National Routes
"Amtrak is offering customers the opportunity to travel with their bicycles on more routes to different regions throughout the U.S..." more
- UT: Volunteers work to complete trails east of Hyrum
- OR: Talent eyes new Greenway link
- CA: Lessons learned pedaling from Larkspur to Mill Valley
- CO: Mesa Land Trust builds new trails for National Public Lands Day
Construction Brings Intermittent Trail Closures
Newark, OH - "The city of Newark has announced work being done on the bike path between Granville Road and Ohio 16 from Sept. 26 to Oct. 28." more...
Cleveland Among The Nation's Best Cities For Bicycling
Cleveland, OH - " Bicycling magazine has ranked Cleveland the 41st best bicycling city in the nation..." more
Tragic Death Prompts Northside Traffic Calming
Cincinnati, OH - "In the wake of the death of a popular Northside business owner killed while crossing Hamilton Avenue, Cincinnati City Council Wednesday asked the city administration to make changes to signs and streets to make the neighborhood safer to walk and bike in." more...
Shelli Snyder Medical & Cheer Fund
"While biking from Cleveland (Our Fair City) to Seattle (Home of Max the Yeti, her fiance), Shelli Snyder was struck from behind on Sunday, September 18, 2016 by a motorist at 60 mph." more...
Guerrilla Traffic Calming on Hawthorne has Unknown Future
Portland, OR - "...Smart's death has also left something physical and tangible. Hours after the tragedy, someone painted an unsanctioned crosswalk across Hawthorne at 43rd. Along with the crosswalk, signs and traffic cones sprouted up in the center turn lane that was used recklessly by Smart's speeding killer." more...
Tacks Causing Punctures on New Cycle Track
Seattle, WA - "A new cycle track along a portion of Westlake Avenue North has only been open for a week, but some cyclists are already dealing with a big problem." more...
- CAN: Rain gardens add function, beauty to Stewart Street
- KS: Garden City sees more bike trails in its future
- MN: Bike lanes coming to 70th Street in Richfield next year
- IRE: First stretch of Waterford Greenway opens to public
- DE: Contract to Finish Long-Awaited Wilmington-New Castle Greenway
- WA: Lander Street overpass plan needs better biking and walking access
- MD: Hagerstown police body cam video depicts teenage girl's arrest
- CAN: Consultation sessions aim to find common ground on Arbutus Greenway
OSU Coach Hits Cyclist with Vehicle
Columbus, OH - "...A 26-year-old male student on a bike was struck in the intersection. He was taken in stable condition to Wexner Medical Center at Ohio State University..." more
"Gridlock Sam" Weighs in on Columbus Transportation Issues
Columbus, OH - "The Center for Urban and Regional Analysis at OSU recently brought former New York City Transportation Commissioner Sam Schwartz to town..." more
Good Riddance to the Prospect Park West Bike Lane Lawsuit
NYC - "The people suing to remove the Prospect Park West bike lane have given up, more than five years after initiating a lawsuit that nearly sank New York City's bike program." more...
Will Self-Driving Car Rules Make Streets Safe
"This week, U.S. DOT released guidelines for self-driving cars, a significant step as regulators prepare for companies to bring this new technology to market..." more
Bike-Friendly Netherlands Named Best Place in the World to be a Driver
"...It may seem counter-intuitive, but a key ingredient in creating the world's most enjoyable driving conditions is providing the freedom to leave the car at home..." more
- CT: Pedestrian bridge approved for greenway
- ID: Bike Trail Connecting Idaho Tourist Destinations Planned
- IL: North Branch Trail Extension Opens To Cheers
- UK: Ex minister Ron Davies accused of sabotaging mountain cycle path
- VA: Lookout Mountain Bike Trails Open for Cycling
- TX: Austin seventh-best cycling city in America
- UK: Why can't London have a car-free day?
- OR: Parks bureau must address homeless campers before trails can be built
- WA: Man driving pickup kills man biking near Northgate Mall
- CAN: Cop who killed teenager while driving twice speed limit gets acquitted
- IL: A Bike-Friendly Bridge Over North Shore Channel Trail Finally Is Happening
NEO's Transportation Future
NE OH - "At the beginning of this year Akron, Cleveland, and Canton joined 75 other cities around the country in a contest to win $ 40 million dollars from the U-S Department of Transportation." more...
Pokemon Trainers Invade Metro Parks
Columbus, OH - "When 'Pokemon Go' launched on Wednesday, July 6, it was as if a magic magnet attracting new visitors to Columbus Metro Parks dropped out of the sky..." more
The Hocking Hills of Franklin County
Franklin County, OH - "...The land will be part of Blendon Woods Metro Park. The plan is to build a trail that connects that park with Rocky Fork Metro Park north of New Albany. The trail would run through the newly acquired property and the Hoover Dam area." more...
Kalamazoo Bike Crash Survivor Testifies for Bike, Ped Law
Lansing, MI - "...The bill would make it a felony, with up to 15 years in prison, for drivers who kill bicyclists or other vulnerable roadway users -- that includes pedestrians or those in wheelchairs. It would also establish a misdemeanor charge for drivers who injure them." more...
Council to Consider $800K for Bike Lanes
PIttsburgh, PA - "Pittsburgh is preparing to spend $800,000 to complete a long-awaited bicycling link from the Smithfield Street Bridge to Point State Park via Fort Pitt Boulevard." more...
New Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail Section Completed
OR - "The State of Oregon is inching ever closer to re-connecting the Historic Columbia River Highway -- an engineering marvel that opened 100 years ago this year but fell into disrepair when Interstate 84 was built." more...
Feds Find Unspent $10M to Extend Trail
D.C. - "The federal government will provide almost $10 million to extend the Onondaga Creekwalk in Syracuse and build a new section of the recreation trail looping around Onondaga Lake." more...
New Study: Bike Helmets Reduce Injury Risk by Almost 70%
"No more Dutch style cycling for you..." more
New Buses that Blare at Pedestrians
"...the Swedish auto-manufacturer is fitting its detection tech to its fleet of buses, which will begin automatically sounding warnings to alert unprotected road users of potential collisions." more...
- OK: How downtown OKC could turn a freeway into a greenway
- MI: Ottawa County developing a greenway trail
- ID: New bike trail would connect Stanley, Redfish Lake
- WI: New hiking/biking trail connects Underdown to Merrill Memorial Forest
- TX: Mayor receives USDOT award
- UK: How many Londoners are switching from public transport to bicycles?
- WA: Man dies after mysterious bike crash in NE Seattle
- FL: Spotted while riding a bike in Miami: 8-foot-long python
- MN: The Midtown Greenway is the missing piece of the St. Paul soccer stadium plan
Dayton Could Get Indoor Bike Park
Dayton, OH - "...Bisig wants to build a variety of indoor of tracks, trails, rails and other amenities inside the facility..." more
UH Bikes Rolls Out Another 250 Bikes
Cleveland, OH - "Two months after the first bikes rolled into the city, Cleveland's bike share program officially is launching." more...
Driver Who Paralyzed Cyclist Could Face Tougher Sentence
IA - "A driver who claimed he was distracted when he hit and paralyzed a Pennsylvania cyclist last month could face stiffer penalties than Iowa law generally permits." more...
CIty Changes Ped Safety Campaign After Criticizm
CAN - "The city is spiking a proposed ad campaign that suggested pedestrians wear reflective clothing so they aren't hit by motorists, following a strong backlash." more...
Baltimore Gets its 1st Protected Bike Lane
MD - "...The city's first parking protected bike lane is now open for use...." more
Amtrak Announces Easier Bike Storage
"Forget the box. Amtrak has new baggage-car racks on most all routes." more
- VA: Warrenton greenway extension planned in '17
- IL: Manor Avenue Diverter Test Begins, Pro-Greenway Petition Launches
- IN: Nickel Plate Trail to extend path to Maconaquah schools
- IL: North Branch Trail Spur Opens Wednesday
- MN: Minneapolis makes top 10 best bike cities in US
- SC: County Council wants DOT response on bike lane within 60 days
Pathway Planned Around Sports Complex
Sandusky, OH - "Three major entities joined forces to begin building a continuous path spanning along Sandusky Bay and beyond." more...
Bike Cleveland Co-Founder Suffers Life-Threatening Injuries
"A Cleveland resident and Bike Cleveland Co-Founder suffered life-threatening injuries Sunday when she was struck by a car in Montana." more...
Heather Goss Crash Injury Fund
Cleveland, OH - "...As some of you may have heard, my teammate, Heather Goss was in a bad crash during a bicycle race Saturday, September 10..." more
The Technique that Could Save Cyclists' Lives
"...Michael Charney, a 70-year-old retired doctor from Cambridge, Massachusetts, is spearheading a grassroots campaign to end dooring forever..." more
The 50 Best Bike Cities of 2016
"The coolest discovery from our biennial roundup of the best places to ride in the United States? Cycling in America has never been better..." more
Vicious Assault on Portland Bike Trail
OR - "A cyclist doesn't know how she was left badly beat up while she was riding her bike on the Columbia Slough Trail Tuesday night." more...
It Takes More Than Bike Lanes to Make Cycling Safe
"Cities need to give bikes a dedicated, prominent place on our streets." more...
It's Hard to See Vision Zero When You're Looking Through a Windshield
NYC - "...You can't go five minutes in a bike lane without running into somebody illegally parked..." more
- VA: Mountain bike trail set to open
- WA: Man arrested for defecating at Columbia Park bike trail
- IL: Bike rights gain voice in summit held in Normal
- CAN: Edmonton Trail Bridgeland cycle track opens in Calgary
- TX: New Greenway Planned for Tulsa
- FRA: Paris to Return Its Great Public Squares to the People
- VA: Cyclist Says He Was Punched, Called Racial Slur Then Arrested
- WA: Person seriously injures man biking in NE Seattle
- WA: The Westlake Bikeway is officially open
Cyclist Struck, Hospitalized
"While biking from Cleveland to Seattle (Home of Max the Yeti, her fiance), Shelli Snyder was struck from behind on Sunday, September 18, 2016 by a motorist at 60 mph." more...
100 Bikes Given to Children
Louisville, KY - "The city of Louisville teamed up with the Schwinn Bicycle Co. to honor the legacy of Muhammad Ali by giving away 100 free bikes to deserving kids." more...
Mag Picks Chicago as Most Bike Friendly U.S. City
"...Bicycling magazine is set to announce Monday that Chicago is now the best bike city in the United States, unseating New York City..." more
IMBA Membership Survey
"IMBA conducted a survey of its members during the Spring 2016 membership drive to gather input on IMBA's plans for 2016 through 2020..." more
$5M Bike Bridge May Face Demolition
AUS - "A $5.3 million cycling bridge in Melbourne's west - finished less than two years ago after almost a decade of campaigning by bike groups - could soon be knocked down to add extra car lanes to the West Gate Freeway." more...
First Look at the Proposed Orlando Bike Loop
FL - "Mayor Buddy Dyer let slip at the September 15 Budget Hearing that the City is planning to construct an 8-mile bike trail loop soon." more...
How a Pedal Strike Can Start a Wildfire
"When fire investigators blamed a mountain-biking misstep for a wildfire last month, some cyclists called foul. But it's not as wild a claim as you'd think." more...
Ford's Interest in Bike Sharing: It's Not About The Bike
"...Listen, here's the deal. The opportunity is not bikes. That's not why Ford's in it. The opportunity is data, and the data is super valuable..." more
- NC: Ronda discusses greenway expansion
- WI: City, Valley get federal funding for bike and pedestrian plans
- VA: Trail network to see expansion with 5th Street Station
- WI: Federal funds will complete missing Old Abe Trail miles
- MN: Bicycle commuters on the rise in Twin Cities
- NYC: It's a Crush to Find a Citi Bike During Rush
What Tops the Charts in Trail Use?
"In August 2016, we asked our awesome members and supporters to let us know via our short-but-sweet 2016 Trail Use Survey about their best (and least) trail use habits and received an overwhelming response with approximately 54,000 completed surveys..." more
When the Cop Gets it Wrong
"Jason, a 41-year-old husband and father of two young boys, was riding lead. His father-in-law and two friends were behind. As they approached a T-intersection, Jason signaled and began to make the left turn..." more
Cyclist Dies in Bike Accident at Rio Paralympics
Brazil - "...Bahman Golbarnezhad, 48 years old, crashed his bike around 10:40 a.m. local time while descending a mountainous stretch of the cycling course in western Rio..." more
Bike Rack Receives Notoriety on BYU Campus
Provo, UT - "This week has been an eventful week for a lowly bike rack on the campus of Brigham Young University." more...
- TN: Sevierville Greenway Connector to be Done by Year's End
- NC: Woman bit by fox in Charlotte park
- VT: Lamoille Realtors awarded national grant for bike club
4 Miles of Future Wasson Way Trail Purchased
Cincinnati, OH - "The city of Cincinnati has closed on the purchase of more than 4 miles of unused railway to extend the region's bike trail network." more...
MetroParks Projects Move Forward
Butler County, OH - "...MetroParks envisions the River Center will serve as a hub for those who walk, run and bike along the Great Miami River Recreation Trail and will enable trail users to access downtown shops, restaurants and businesses." more...
How Will Trails Change America?
"...In 2036, my grandkids will be 24 and 22. I imagine them coming of age in a place much healthier than today's America..." more
Docs Detail Government Damage to Trail of Tears
Coker Creek, TN - "The U.S. Forest Service has ripped up a portion of the Trail of Tears in the Appalachian Mountains..." more
Forest Service Fees Challenged in Court
CA - "Although a July court ruling said the United States Forest Service can continue in limited fashion to charge money to enter the four national forests in Southern California, the ruling was also a partial victory for those who like us believe these fees are bunk." more...
Undercover Bike Cop Launches 'Best Ever' Cycle Safety Scheme
UK - "Campaigners hope the operation, that sees plain clothes police on bikes pull over drivers that pass too close, will be taken up across the country." more...
- SC: Swamp Rabbit Trail helps Travelers Rest businesses boom
- UK: Longest section of the England Coast Path opens in Yorkshire
- TN: Greenway bridge project vandalized
- OR: Greenway neighbors on edge
- FL: Man robbed along bike trail
- NH: Nonprofit group seeks donations for Salem rail trail
- OR: Police seek bias crime suspect on bike
Medlar Bikeway Closed Sept. 21-24
Miamisburg, OH - "The Medlar Bikeway and parking lot will be closed to all traffic starting at 8 AM on Wednesday, September 21. It is scheduled to re-open Friday, September 23, at 4 PM. This schedule is weather-dependent and may change."
37-Block Minneapolis Greenway Proposal Stirs Debate
MN - "...There are folks on the block that hate it, don't like it, are upset that it was done. There are people on the block who think it's amazing..." more
Complete Streets Won't Work Without Complete Bridges
"Networks of safe walking and biking infrastructure won't work very well if they're interrupted by bridges that are dangerous or stressful to cross...." more
FHWA's New Goal: Eliminating Ped & Cyclist Deaths
"...In a new strategic plan, the agency calls for reducing serious injuries and deaths 80 percent in the next 15 years, which would be an intermediate goal on the way to zero." more...
E-Bikes Sales Grow in Minnesota
MN - "As electric bikes sales grow, their presence on local trails, paths and roads has made some bicyclists envious, others dubious." more...
Zipcar to Launch Bike Share on College Campuses
"Zipcar made a name for itself by making it easy for anyone to borrow a car. Now the company has a new project - bikes." more....
Cities Can Build A Better Bike Lane
"There's a new term that has become popular in city planning circles: tactical urbanism. The idea is that small experiments, done cheaply and quickly, can make cities better, and more nimble." more...
New Census Data on Bike Commuting
"Today the Census Bureau released its annual estimate of how Americans get to work..." more
- CA: Bike-only on-ramp to San Gabriel River bike path
- WI: Bike trail planned for Sheboygan's south side
- NE: Yanney to KHS trail OK'd
- CT: Shoreline Greenway Trail Expected to Gain Approval in Guilford
- WA: Census: Driving alone to work in Seattle hits new low
- GA: DUI driver hits, kills UGA student on bike, others injured
- AL: Jury awards $1.9 million to Heflin man
- FL: Teen arrested in Riverside bicycle shop employee attack
Proposed Bikeway Deal is a Win-Win?
Grove City, OH - "...the repaving of Southern Grove Drive and the addition of roadway markings would eliminate the need for adding the bike path on each side of the road." more...
Portland's New Surge in Bike Commuters
OR - "...The great gasoline plunge of late 2014 hasn't cut the rate of Portlanders biking to work, at least not in 2015." more...
Driver Plows into Cyclist, Gets Warning
Taylorsville, UT - "A man bicycling in Taylorsville Tuesday morning got hit by an SUV, sending him flying up onto the hood of the vehicle." more...
Largest Pop-Up Bike Lane in the World
Macon, GA - "...Volunteers... will work from September 13 to September 16 building the 8-mile route throughout the city." more...
Self-Driving Car Smiles At Pedestrians
"Even when algorithms are driving our cars, we still need to find a way to recreate the subtle interactions that keep us safe on the streets." more...
- CA: $90 Million Allocated to Trails, Biking and Green Infrastructure
- NC: Middle Fork Greenway Closer To Connecting Boone, Blowing Rock
- IL: Support Needed to Save a Major Part of Greenway Project
- IL: Winfield Breaks Ground For Link In Planned 23-Mile DuPage Bike Trail
- IA: Jasper County set to purchase land for bike trail
- WA: Middle schooler struck crossing street
- CA: Fresno Installs First Green Bike Lane
- UK: Camden Council under pressure to rip up controversial bike lane
- OR: Portland releases draft of Vision Zero Action Plan
- NY: Kid's helmet crushed in bloody bike crash
- KS: Thieves steal from charity bike program
Buck Creek Trail Receives $249K for Repairs
Springfield, OH - "...water is undermining the retaining wall of the bike trail, causing part of the trail to collapse..." more
Shared Use Path Recommended
Dayton, OH - "A paved path for pedestrians and cyclists is being recommended for one of the key arteries linking the areas east and west of Interstate 75 near the Dayton Mall." more...
Auto-Centric Cleveland at Higher Risk for Traffic Accidents
Cleveland, OH - "Cleveland's automobile-centric mindset is putting residents at risk, a new study finds." more...
Little Miami Trail Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
The Bicyclists' Manifesto for an Autonomous Vehicle Future
"'Policy goals' won't be enough to protect bicyclists once the cars start driving themselves. more...
Bike Trips Up, Car Use Down along Greenway
CAN - "The two-kilometre Comox-Helmcken Greenway in downtown Vancouver cost more than $5 million and took two years to complete, but the time and expense were worth it, according to a UBC study that examined local residents' behaviour and health before and after completion." more...
- MS: MDOT extending Riverwalk
- IN: Businesses tabbed to help keep Greenway tidy
- CAN: Comox-Helmcken Greenway improving health and environment
- UK: Bexhill cyclist deflated over greenway punctures
- VT: New bike trails open in Waterbury
- IA: Opportunity ahead for new trails, parks
- WA: Seattle will reduce speed limits across the city
- OR: Portland Wants to Rethink Speed Limits
Toledo Eyes Bike Sharing
Toledo, OH - "Metroparks wants grant to bring stations to city." more...
Yellow Springs Trail to Celebrate 25 Years
New Trail Bridge Construction to Bring Road Closure
Hilliard Twp., OH - "When bicycle trails meet highways, the best solution is for the trail to go over or under the road. That's not always possible, but it will happen where the Heart of Ohio Trail, which follows an old railroad right of way, crosses U.S. 36/Ohio 3 southwest of Centerburg." more...
Is Mountain Biking the Next Big Tourist Draw?
Chillicothe, OH - "...the first step toward trying to make Ross County a destination for mountain bikers was taken late last week." more...
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Trucker's Comments Provokes Twitter Anger
CAN - "Three days after a truck driver was charged in the death of an Ottawa cyclist, the head of the Greater Ottawa Truckers Association is defending truck drivers, saying bikes shouldn't have been made equal to trucks on the road." more...
- PA: Kennett Twp. joins greenway partnership
- IN: Trail is a world away, right in the middle of the West Lafayette
- TN: Barry proposes land deal for Gulch-SoBro pedestrian bridge
- CA: It's time to finally make L.A. walkable
- NC: Can Charlotte become a city of people on bikes?
- WA: Group installs ghost bike for Randall Lorraine
- FRA: 2-mile highway by Seine goes car-free for 6 months
- OR: Bike-powered GO Box
- TX: Will the Houston Bike Plan End the Battle Between Bicyclists and Drivers?
Galena Brick Trail Progress
Galena, OH - See construction photos.
Cycling Deaths in Montreal
CAN - "Montreal's latest ghost bike was installed in early September on a street corner in Rosemont where Justine Charland St-Amour died too young." more...
Ford's Mobility Solutions
"...Ford is teaming up with major global cities - beginning with San Francisco - to help solve congestion issues and help people move more easily - both today and in the future..." more
- TX: Brooks City Base park to connect with Mission Reach trail
- IL: Construction along busy routes make for dangerous cycling season
- WI: Rhinelander bike and pedestrian trails begin to take shape
- CA: Napa roundabouts to take a more bike-friendly shape
- UK: London tube map encourages walking
Trail Underpass Funded
Mt. Vernon, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation informed the city this week that funding has been approved for the project to route the bicycle trail under the Main Street viaduct.." more
Hit-and-Run Driver Held at Gunpoint by Citizen
Albuquerque, NM - "A video sent to KRQE News 13 by a viewer shows an armed man holding another man, suspected of hitting a bicyclist and fleeing, at gunpoint until police arrive." more...
2 Men Shot on Bike Trail
Los Angeles, CA - "...One pulled out a gun, demanding a bike. Moments later both the father and his son-in-law were shot - their bike stolen..." more
Trail Ramp Foiled by High Bids
PA - "...Cohen is one of hundreds of thousands of people who use [the GAP] each year, but he is just one of a few who have mastered the portion of the trail between Smithfield Street and Point State Park." more...
Cyclists say Their Lives at Risk from Road-Raging Motorists
CO - "...he crouched down, trying to make out the plate number. Then he saw the driver's hand stretch out his window and heard a loud bang." more...
Growing List of Cycling Firms Affected by Shipping Company Collapse
"...Of its fleet of 141 ships, 89 are currently estimated to be either in difficulty, or seized at ports around the world..." more
- PA: Local teen makes trail map for Jackson Township greenway
- NY: Village officials want review of CVS impact on bike path
- UK: Someone is sabotaging bike trails in Caerphilly
- MI: Burglars hit nonprofit Cycle-Re-Cycle
Long-Awaited Springfield Trail Now Open
More Details on Little Miami Trail Sinkhole
Milford, OH - "...State officials do anticipate that the replacement project will probably last somewhere between 30 and 60 days and they do caution people to not bypass or go around any prohibitive or restrictive signs in that area." more...
MCD Named Bike Friendly Business
Miami Valley, OH - "The Miami Conservancy District (MCD) has been named a bronze level Bike Friendly Business by the League of American Bicyclists." more...
A Safer Way: Road Diets
"There's evidence that road diets have a positive effect on traffic crashes while addressing important questions of equity and climate change, an official with the Federal Highway Administration told a group in Cleveland this week." more...
Endangered Bat Regulations Restricting Trail Tunnel Use
WI - "...Dave Heileman, head of the Friends of the Elroy Sparta State Trail organization, said closing the tunnels in October could affect other events..." more
Ford Backs Massive Bike Share Expansion
San Francisco, CA - "...Ford's sponsorship will see the Bay Area's supply of shareable bikes expand from 700 to 7,000 by 2018..." more
How Parking Requirements Kill Cities
CAN - "The City of Ottawa has a wonderful walkable, cyclable and even skateable downtown core but is surrounded by a lot of sprawl..." more
- OR: Portland Police arrest woman after she bragged about road rage assault
- WI: Buffalo County group gets $2M grant for multi-county bike trail
- WI: Madison woman with life-threatening injuries after bike-van collision
Columbus Cyclists Can Vote on South Side Bikeways Options
Columbus, OH - Go here to cast your votes.
Artwork is Blooming in the Metro Parks
Summit County, OH - "Summer wildflowers are fading. But thanks to the Akron Art Museum, some of the Metro Parks still have pops of color. Four parks and one trail feature artwork as part of the fall 2016 installment of Inside/Out." more...
Cincinnati Cycle Club Newsletter
Read the September edition.
NYPD Force Cyclists Onto West Side Highway at Rush Hour
NYC - "For four and a half hours last night, NYPD shut off bike access to the Hudson River Greenway between 44th Street and 55th Street, a major bike transportation artery used by several thousand people each day." more...
Citi Bike Breaks Daily Record with over 60,000 Trips
NYC - "...For the third time since May, Citi Bike has broken a daily ridership record and in doing so eclipsed the 60,000 trip mark for the first time ever." more...
Bike Accident Leaves 'Million-Mile Man' Paralyzed
"A beloved figure in the cycling world has suffered a terrible crash, but aims to keep pedaling." more...
What the Next Great BikeShare Will Look Like
D.C. - "We've come a long way from when the first U.S. bikeshare opened in Washington, D.C. six years ago..." more
How to get Inventive Transportation Projects Right Early On
"In 2013, the city of Nice, France, launched an ambitious 'smart parking' service that allowed drivers to find available parking spaces in real-time through a smartphone app." more...
- WVA: Heritage Trail in need of repairs
- GA: Alpharetta OKs design to close Big Creek Greenway gap
- GA: Changes approved for Big Creek Greenway in north Forsyth
- PA: Upper St. Clair awards contract to extend trails
- AZ: Cyclists, homeowners sound off on popular trail access
- CA: Shell Beach homeowners win appeal for bluff bike path reroute
- NJ: Build on bicycling infrastructure with regional plan
- WA: Westlake bikeway one week from opening
2nd Little Miami Trail Closure
"Fort Ancient Trail Closure Begins Sept. 12: The Little Miami Scenic Trail will be closed between Senior Road in Morrow and Route 350 in Oregonia from September 12 through the end of November, 2016. No detour is available. The trail will be open for planned event participants only on certain weekends.
"The closure in this area near Fort Ancient is due to erosion of the Little Miami River riverbank as its course has changed to undercut the trail berm. The Ohio Department of Natural Resources is responsible for the remediation which includes stabilizing the bank and building a small bridge over the affected area to accommodate trail use while allowing natural changes in the course of the river.
"For updates on all trail closures please see the Friends of the Little Miami State Park website, www.littlemiamistatepark.org.
Submitted by Friends of Little Miami State Park
[Another closing in Milford was reported earlier this week.]
More Bike Lane Antics in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "...I guess that someone decided downtown didn't need that pesky bike lane any more..." more
Vandalia to be Part of National Bike Route
Vandalia, OH - "Vandalia City Council heard and approved a resolution on Tuesday, Sept. 6 to add Vandalia as a stop on U.S. Bike Route 25..." more
Akron Gets $5M to Connect Public Spaces
River of Grass Greenway Debate Continues
FL - "...We keep reiterating that where they put the pathway we consider it land of the (Miccosukee Simanolee) Indigenous Peoples, which we consider sacred land..." more
Safe Routes to School Newsletter
Read the September Issue.
Rail Trail Projects Proving Their Worth
UK - "Around the UK, abandoned railway lines are being turned into world-class cycling and walking trails that are boosting local tourism and recreation." more...
- FL: 450-pound gator found wandering on bike trail
- MI: 2 bridges planned for bike trail gap in Kent County
- AUS: Drivers to wait longer at red lights under pedestrian safety plan
- CAN: Bloor bike lanes: 120 years in the making
- WA: Video shows McCloud riding between streetcar tracks before fatal crash
- OR: Roadway assault on North Skidmore near MLK
Police ID Woman Struck, Killed in Delaware
OH - "A Delaware woman who was struck and killed late Sunday night by a motorist apparently was walking along the road after the car she was in broke down." more...
Police Losing Battle Agains Distracted Drivers
West Bridgewater, MA - "...The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates nearly 3,500 people were killed in crashes involving distracted drivers in the mainland U.S. and Puerto Rico..." more
This is What a Bike Map Should Look Like
CO - "...Graphic designer Zach Lee's aptly named Boulder Bike Map borrows from subway schematics and ski resort maps to present Boulder, Colorado's, extensive road (and groad) rides in a manner that is simultaneously detailed and wonderfully simple." more...
Latest List of Bike-Friendly Businesses
"The League of American Bicyclists welcomes 57 new and renewing Bicycle Friendly Businesses (BFB) to the Bicycle Friendly America program today. Over 1,200 visionary businesses from across the country have earned this status. Now there are BFBs in 49 states and the District of Columbia." more...
UFC Star Assists After Hiking Accident
NV - "UFC star Miesha Tate says she's inspired by the tough little girl who broke her arm while hiking near Las Vegas..." more
- WA: Woman found dead on a bike trail
- CO: High Line Canal Trail to get consideration
- NC: Commissioners balk at greenway extension
- NC: Student reports clown sighting on High Point Greenway
- CT: Sen. Murphy Survives A Walk Into New Haven
- MI: Kalamazoo city commission votes on actions to improve road safety
- TX: El Paso's Bid to Create a Regional Active Transportation Network
- NYC: New traffic patterns, new driving habits
- OR: Suspected drunk driver has hit and killed a man
- OR: Police write 31 tickets, 34 warnings and make two arrests in enforcement mission
Camp Chase Trail Update
Columbus, OH - "The trail through Hilltop is almost done. There is about 1/4 mile left to pave but I already see bikers and runners out on the trail as you can now access it from Georgesville Road at the tracks." more...
New Little Miami Trail Section Almost Finished
Cyclists Oppose Bike Lanes
Spain - "...the city's plan to build 30 new bike lanes is being met with a chorus of criticism - from cyclists..." more
How Strava App is Reshaping City Planning
"Strava started as an app to help map your rides. Now, its data is being harnessed to transform the urban landscape." more...
Binational Bike Trail Would Connect Brownsville and Matamoros
TX - "...Thousands of people commute each day between the two cities for work and school, including Mauricio Ibarra. He's the planning director for the city of Matamoros and he has an idea for making the two cities feel even more connected..." more
- WVA: Harrison Rail Trails to host gathering to discuss trail improvement
- UK: Wales gives cyclists legal right to propose new bike routes
- NZ: Conflict over more mountain bike tracks in Wellington City
- MA: Police investigating alleged sexual assault on Greenway
- PA: Danny Chew Seriously Hurt in Bike Accident
- CO: Suspected 'Bicycle Bandit' In Custody Following Shootout
Top Ped & Bike Crash Locations Mapped
Columbus, OH - This mapped data is from 2011 - 2015.
Bill Protects Cyclists Riding Through Crosswalks
NE - "...Legislative Bill 716 went into effect in July. Its major provision gives bicyclists the right-of-way when riding through a marked intersection using a crosswalk where a recreational trail crosses a street..." more
Olympia Pedalling Toward Bike-Friendly Future
WA - "A collection of proposed 'bike corridors' reflect Olympia's movement in a more bicycle-friendly direction." more...
Keep Bikes Off Our Wilderness Trails
Palm Springs, CA - "...The first mountain bikes were not widely sold until 1981, 17 years after the Wilderness Act became law..." more
Submitted by Nelson Shogren
Jeremy Clarkson Shows His Ignorance Regarding Cycling
UK - "In his Sun column, Jeremy Clarkson calls Jeremy Vine's cycling 'selfish' and says that motorists in a rush shouldn't be held up by 'sanctimonious cyclists.'" more...
- VT: Hiker dies following medical emergency on trail
- CAN: Greenway project in Slocan gets $250K funding
- CO: $90,000 needed to build 6.5 miles of Fruita trails
- AK: Mirror Lake singletrack provides a new mountain-biking destination
Sinkhole Closes Little Miami Trail Section
Milford, OH - "...The sinkhole is near the Shawnee Run overpass, according to Milford police." more...
Trans Canada Bike Route - Is it as Good as it Looks?
CAN - "... some users say that there are still lots of concerns to be ironed out - hardly surprising in a project of this scale." more...
- CA: New bike rest stop on the San Gabriel River Bike Trail
- TN: Artists to create bike sculpture on Rail Trail
- WV: Eagle Scout Bridges Gap at Grand Vue Park in Moundsville
- PA: New plan for Inwood Bridge
Troy Trail to Join National Route
Troy, OH - "Council will consider a resolution to add the city of Troy's bike path - dubbed U.S. Bike Route 25 - to be a designated state and national bicycle route at Tuesday's regular meeting." more...
Huntington Center Renovations to Include Bike Storage
Columbus, OH - "The Huntington Center office tower at 41 S. High St. will be renovated to lure new tenants and retain existing ones." more...
Illegally Parked & Abandoned Cars Plague Greenway
NYC - "A bicycle and pedestrian greenway that connects protected bike paths on the waterfront to Queens Plaza and Queens Boulevard has become a parking lot, with private and government-placarded cars lining its southern curb for months." more...
- AK: Rash of unsolved outdoor homicides
- CAN: Funding to help connect Halifax Harbour to Trans-Canada Trail
- CA: Oceanside takes action to make bike trail safer
- MT: Trails in Whitefish, Bitterroot, get state grant help
- SC: Regional plan to study walking, biking
2016 'Share the Trail' Poll Results
"...Special thanks to those of you who participated in our Share the Trail polls on social media..." more
AAA Ohio Covers Cyclists
"For more than 100 years, AAA has been providing world-class automobile emergency roadside assistance - and it still does. But as new forms of transportation become increasingly popular, AAA is reinventing what roadside assistance means, providing you safety, security and peace of mind when on the road on four or two wheels!" more...
Riverfront Commons Honored as "Trail of the Year"
KY - "...The ambitious recreational trail project that will eventually stretch from Ludlow in the west to Fort Thomas in the east, linking Northern Kentucky's River Cities, was honored at last week's Regional Trails Summit." more...
Our Streets are Killing Us
"Traffic deaths will continue to increase unless cities prioritize humans over cars." more...
- NY: In NY jogger killing, a DNA sample but no one to match it to
- OR: Working toward more consistent maintenance of Bear Creek Greenway
- NC: Cary greenways, facilities to be repaired after storm damages
- IL: Sangamon Valley Trail Gets 6 Mile Extension
- OR: City moves homeless campers off popular Portland trail
- MI: Recreational paths being engineered
- CO: Streets That Encourage Speeding Are Streets That Encourage Drag Racing
Columbus Phasing Out 'Share the Road' Signs
Columbus, OH - "...The city's Bicycle Coordinator, Scott Ulrich, said the shift was 'in response to to a growing body of research - and broad consensus in the bicycling community'..." more
$3.8M Project Includes Bike Path
Reynoldsburg, OH - "Livingston Avenue in Reynoldsburg is undergoing a $3.8 million upgrade that includes improved intersections and traffic signals, curb repairs and a new surface, plus new bike and recreation trails to join central Ohio's ever-growing trail network." more...
Ohio Trail Connections Growing
"The day soon will come when a bicycle rider in Cleveland can pedal 330 miles all the way to Cincinnati along dedicated trails that largely are free of auto traffic..." more
Final Traffic Calming Options for Liberty Street
Cincinnati, OH - "...bad news for cyclists came out of Tuesday's meeting: Neither remaining option includes bicycle infrastructure..." more
Towpath Times Newsletter
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Woman Sentenced to 13 Years for Killing Cyclist
Cincinnati, OH - "...Prosecutors say Melinda Woodall was high on 10 different drugs when she hit Michael Prater on Kellogg Avenue last January.." more...
Will Peds be Able to Tell What a Driverless Car Is About to Do?
"For self-driving vehicles to succeed, they'll have to earn the trust of walkers, joggers, and bicyclists." more...
- SC: Part of Swamp Rabbit Trail to close Tuesday for construction
- SC: Suspicious Clown Sightings Near Man-Made Trail
- PA: Proposed bike greenway in Bellefonte
- GA: Preliminary action on routing greenway through Oconee Hill Cemetery
- AR: Leak Spills onto Razorback Greenway
- IN: IMPD officers bike on Cultural Trail
Dusting Off the Red Line Greenway Plans
Cleveland, OH - "Plans for the Red Line Greenway (RLG), a three-mile elevated linear park spanning Cleveland's west side and downtown, originated as a pie-in-the-sky dream more than 40 years ago..." more
Roundtown Trail Becoming Reality
Circleville, OH - "After six years in the planning, ground has been broken on the Roundtown Trail connecting the Pickaway County Family YMCA to the Circleville educational campuses..." more
Commissioners to Decide Fate of Historic Road
Portsmouth, OH - "...members of the Scenic Scioto Heritage Trail are working to organize an effort to ask the commissioners not to vacate, for historic reasons." more...
- UK: Carmen Greenway dies in London cycling accident
- SC: Carolina Forest bike path project gains traction
- TN: Mountain bike trail open at Cane Creek
- IL: Bike trail plans tied to Lake Jacksonville bridge
- AR: Phase one of walking, running trail complete
- TX: El Paso mountain bike riders blazing trails
- WI: Oconomowoc creates trail map to make biking easier
- OR: 15-year-old clings to life after being hit by a driver
- WA: 39th Ave NE greenway gets a refresh, speed humps
- AU: Truck driver's tirade at cyclist caught on camera
New Bike Routes Coming to Bucyrus
Bucyrus, OH - "...Two separate plans to provide routes for bicycles will come before Bucyrus City Council in September. The first of those plans won't cost city taxpayers any money..." more
Investigation Continues in Cyclist's Death
Akron, OH - "...Police continue to investigate whether the incident was a vehicular hit-and-run or if Whitmire lost control of his bike." more...
'People Before Cars' Can Help Curb Traffic Congestion
MD - "'The congestion in our region is real. Very real. Every-single-day real,' writes RTC Director of Government Relations and Mayor of College Park, Maryland, Patrick Wojahn..." more
Controversy Continues Over Pedal-Strike Blamed for Wildfire
CA - "...I've gotten calls from people saying, 'I know you're getting a lot of flak from this (conclusion about what started the fire) but, by the way, we've seen this happen before'..." more
Unsafe Construction Zones, Trashed Bike Lanes Endangering Cyclists
Chicago, IL - "Popular biking corridors like Milwaukee Avenue have turned into dangerous places to ride." more...
2015 U.S. Traffic Fatalities Data Released
"...7.2% more people died in traffic-related accidents in 2015 than in 2014. This unfortunate data point breaks a recent historical trend of fewer deaths occurring per year." more...
Bontrager Encourages Daytime Running Lights for Bikes
"They've been on motorcycles forever, and more recently cars have adopted them too, so why not bikes?" more...
- TN: Family creates road sign to slow drivers down
- IN: Construction Begins on Greenway Project in New Albany
- TN: City moves forward with greenway
- MN: City acquires 10 acres for Phase 2 of bike trail
- VA: Ribbon cutting planned for 9/11 bike trail segment
- GA: Columbus riverwalk catalyst for past and future success
- WA: Might Seattle's troubled Pronto bike-share system go all-electric?
- IL: A wish list for better walking and biking in the Black Metropolis
- NYC: DeBlasio Pushing Road Diet Despite Opposition
Completing the Ohio-to-Erie Trail in Central OH
Galena, OH - "As long-sought connections are completed between bike paths throughout Franklin County, a race is on to connect Delaware County trails before developers gobble up the land." more...
Sentencing for Driver Who Killed Cyclist
Cincinnati, OH - "This Wednesday at 9am Melinda Woodall will be sentenced for killing Michael Prater. She was convicted of Aggravated Vehicular Homicide - Possession of Drugs - Possession of Drug Tools." more...
Is Cincy RedBike the Most Successful Bike Share?
Cincinnati, OH - "...When RedBike opened to the public on September 15, 2014 it included 29 stations, but has since swelled to 57 stations spanning two states, four cities and more than a dozen neighborhoods..." more
Opportunity Corridor is Grappling Ground for City, State
Cleveland, OH - "The city of Cleveland has stalled the transfer of city-owned land needed to complete the $331 million Opportunity Corridor because of wrangling between the city and the state of Ohio." more...
Thieves Target Trail Users on 606 Trail
Chicago, IL - "Thieves have targeted people on the 606 Trail, including a 69-year-old grandfather who was mugged in broad daylight on Saturday." more...
The Mortal Toll of Sprawl
"A federal report this week revealed that traffic deaths have risen 9 percent over the last year and have totaled 19,100 in the first six months of 2016. More than 2.2 million people have been seriously injured in that time..." more
- MA: Capewide bike trail hits bump in Bourne
- AK: Valley of the Moon slayings
- WI: New bike route adds another link between Delavan and Darien
- NC: The Ararat River Restoration and Green Way Project
- CA: SoMa to receive city's first 'protected intersection'
- OR: 5 surprises from Portland's next-generation bike share
Does Air Pollution Reduce Cycling's Health Benefits?
"Columbia University scientists use innovative tools to investigate how vehicle exhaust impacts cyclists." more...
Geese an Issue at Lancaster Park
Lancaster, OH - "...He said the park is littered with goose feces and some of the more aggressive geese will actually attack people..." more
Push to Complete NJ-PA Bike Trail
PA - "It was supposed to hug both sides of the Delaware River between Trenton and Philadelphia, stretching 50 miles for bicyclists, joggers, and walkers to enjoy." more...
- WI: Man found dead on bike trail
- AR: Trail meeting provokes concern in Cave Springs
- MN: Trail will make for biking fast track from Hopkins to south of Mall of America
Construction Underway for Valley Pkwy Connector
Carothers Leads Trail Charge in Tri-State Area
Cincinnati, OH - "Robin Carothers has had trails on the brain for decades." more...
Annual List of Worst Intersections
Columbus, OH - "The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC) revealed its annual list of high-crash intersections yesterday afternoon..." more
Cyclists Fire Back After Driver Uses Car to Threaten Them
Charlotte, NC - "A woman accused of nearly hitting bicyclists and caught in a fit of rage on camera is now seeking legal counsel." more...
Branson Cheats Death in High-Speed Bike Crash
"Sir Richard Branson has revealed how he feared he would die after crashing head first onto a road in a high-speed bike crash on the British Virgin Islands." more...
- OR: Firefighter on Oregon hike located; 2nd hiker dies in fall
- WI: Mercer hike/bike trail ribbon cutting
- IL: Lincolnwood wraps up design of $4.5M bike overpass
- AR: Bella Vista's Back 40 Bike Trails
- NJ: Walking, Biking Trail in Brick to Receive Protection from Illegal ATVs
- CO: U.S. Forest Service clears path for alpine coaster at Copper Mountain
- VA: New greenway planned for Vinton
- IN: Greenway work to start in New Albany next week
- OR: Top 10 bike share stations and first month stats
- OR: Port project in Troutdale will include 2.1 mile path extension
- SC: Hundreds bike Hilton Head in honor of doctor killed in hit-and-run
Toxic Brew Co. Building Along Great Miami River
Cyclist's Death Shows Biking Perils Persist in NYC
"At 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday, like so many mornings before, Michael Schenkman, 78, was doing what he loved: riding his bike near his home in Queens." more...
Law Enforcement Greenway Sweeps
OR - "Two-day effort by multiple agencies results in 12 arrests and 38 citations, most for prohibited camping." more...
- GA: Uptown becomes trendy area for cyclists
- TN: Boy Scout's Tree Project adds to Greenway Education
- VA: Two people assaulted along W&OD bike trail in separate incidents
- TX: Future unknown for barriers along Hike-and-Bike Trail
- PA: Grand opening slated for Jakes Rocks mountain bike trail
- NE: Fixit Station for local bike trails is award project for local scout
- OR: Portland's off-road cycling debate is heating up
Developing Trails in and Around Grove City
Grove City, OH - "Residents are a driving force behind Grove City's effort to develop more bicycle trails, and local leaders say they are pleased to build on that momentum." more...
Portland's Speed Limits Ignore Cyclists & Peds
OR - "...it had been an exceptionally bloody month on Portland roads." more...
MTB Pedal Sparks Forest Fire
CA - California fire ignited by a pedal striking a rock, investigation claims." more...
- AZ: Two adults, one child struck by car
- AL: Work on Saugahatchee trail to begin next year
- MS: City sets aside funds for Levee Walking, Bike Trail
- CA: Body Found on Local Hiking Trail Identified
- TX: New street-safety campaign aims to educate drivers, pedestrians
- OR: Another person has managed to drive onto the I-205 path
Ongoing Efforts to Make Streets Safer for Cyclists
Cleveland, OH - "...the League of American Cyclists named Cleveland a bronze-level bicycle friendly community in 2013. But even as they praise the city's progress, many cyclists say that more work remains." more...
Volunteers Provide Maintenance Along B&O Trail
Lexington, OH - "Members of the Mid-Ohio Bikers not only ride the Richland B&O Trail as often as they can; some also volunteer regularly to make sure the trail is mowed and clear of trees and branches..." more
Submitted by Nelson Shogren
Sonar Catches Drivers Who Drive Too Closely To Cyclists
"...After launching in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in 2015, the technology, called C3FT, is now in 11 cities, including Minneapolis, Houston, and Las Vegas. One of the latest is Ottawa, Canada." more...
Streets Succeed When They Do More Than Move Cars
"What makes a street successful?" more...
Death in Crosswalk Sparks Controversy
Portland, OR - "The death of Fallon Smart has torn our community apart..." more
12-Year-Old Fights for Safer Bike Trail
Billings, MT - "When not catching crayfish and learning to play guitar, 12-year-old Emma Power has spent the past two years corresponding with her city government." more...
USDOT Faces Widespread Opposition to Proposed Congestion Rule
"Nearly 5,000 individuals and 150 organizations - including dozens of local chambers of commerce and elected officials - joined with T4America to oppose USDOT's flawed proposal for measuring traffic congestion and urge them to rethink their approach." more...
The Big Jump Competition
"...Final applications are due in late October for the Big Jump, a new three-year PeopleForBikes project focused on doubling or tripling biking in 10 neighborhoods or districts around the country..." more
- KY: ATF warns more explosives could be in trail cameras
- CA: New cameras fortify bike trail
- CA: Turtle Trail for slow mountain bike riders
- KY: Cops patrol on two wheels
- CA: How Pasadena will become more bike friendly in the next 5 years
- WA: Promenade project gets $3 million from Feds
- SD: Troopers give bike to teen who walks 8 miles for work
Residents Want Trail Atop Dam
Buckeye Lake, OH - "Some residents awaiting a new Buckeye Lake dam want the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to pave and stripe the top when it's finished to create a waterfront bike and walking path along its 4.1-mile length." more...
Runners Struck Crossing Street
Franklin, OH - "Two members of the Miamisburg High School cross-country team were struck by a vehicle Monday afternoon, police said." more...
Bike Lanes are Evolving
"...Cities are increasingly changing them to make them safer in light of fatal crashes involving cyclists and cars." more...
Peter King Drives In Bike Lane, Suffers Wrath Of The Internet
San Diego, CA - "When King hit 'send' on this tweet, I'm sure he thought he was just sharing a harmless bit of humor..." more
- NY: NYC plays key role in East Coast Greenway
- NC: Completion date for expanded Greenville greenway pushed back
- NC: Are protected bike lanes coming to Charlotte?
- NE: Archway hike-bike trail set for phase three of expansion
- MI: TART Trails Advocates Northern Michigan Bike Culture
- KY: Proposed downtown Paducah project would add bike lanes
- CA: Clovis police put more than a case together after thief steals boy's bike
Better Blocks Bring Redevelopment Ideas to Life
OH - "... Better Block events, three of which are going on in the Akron area this summer and fall, are a way to give improvement ideas a trial run." more...
Heritage Farms Offers Camping Next to Towpath
Peninsula, OH - "Heritage Farms in Peninsula, Ohio, has opened 5 primitive tent camping sites and 3 Scandinavian style camping shelters set in the woods and tree fields of the farm..." more
Downtown is Not a Place for Cars
"...Although one of my friends has a car, she didn't want to drive because 'there's never anywhere to park'..." more
Hungary to Spend Millions on Cycling Routes
Hungary - "Hungary's Ministry of National Development has announced that it will spend 30 billion Hungarian forint (£96 million) on cycling infrastructure. more...
- WV: Graffiti written on National Park trail
- TX: New dedication in Hike and Bike Trail System
- TX: Bike trail rescue
- CHN: Green group hits plan to axe 3,284 trees for NT biking trail
- CAN: Startup wants to reward Vancouver cyclists with frequent biking miles
- RUS: Vladimir Putin's Walkable Streets
- MO: New Metro stop and better bus, bike lanes could improve Forest Park access
Cop Tries to Convince Cyclist to Ride on Sidewalk
Oviedo, FL - "A police officer in Oviedo, Florida, attempted to pull over a bicyclist for riding in the street..." more
More Explosives Found in Woods after Suspect's Death
Harlan, KY - "...Mark Sawaf was arrested in June, accused of concealing explosives in trail cameras and leaving them in the woods." more...
Hennepin County Considers Closing Historic Greenway Bridges
MN - "The century-old bridges that carry streets over Minneapolis' Midtown Greenway could face $40 million worth of repairs or replacement..." more
- PA: Bike loop along Delaware River picks up steam and dollars
- VA: Virginia Capital Trail celebrates a great first year
- TX: Harlingen, San Benito work on bike-ped master plan
- MO: Teens suspected of running down artist & motivational speaker with car
- NYC: Drunken off-duty NYPD cop plows into pedestrians
Roundtown Trail to Break Ground
Circleville, OH - "Construction on the Roundtown Trail is set to begin at the end of the month..." more
Prairie Grass Trail Repairs Continue
Madison County, OH - "...The path has been undergoing a crack fill and seal coat process for several day, which was delayed due to bad weather. It will re-open by middle of next week. more...
Towpath is Most Popular Attraction in CVNP
CVNP, OH - "...The most visited sites or trails in Cuyahoga Valley National Park are..." more
Bus Stop of the Future
"Four years ago, the regional transit agency in Paris, RATP, set out to create the 'bus stop of the future.' This bus stop would be designed to give riders and even passersby a comfortable place to relax. In addition to a sleek shelter, it featured a bike-share station, a library, and snacks and coffee. more...
Sullivan Trail Bridge Opens in Valley Forge
PA - "Bicyclists, runners and walkers were more than thrilled Friday to venture across the new Sullivan Trail Bridge in Valley Forge National Historical Park." more...
Opening Wilderness Areas to Bikes Also Opens Debate
"...A bill in Congress would open up biking in federally designated wilderness, where 'mechanical transport' has been banned since President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Wilderness Act in 1964..." more.
Submitted by Nelson Shogren
- VA: Roanoke Greenway Ambassador program ends first month on high note
- CA: Whittier's Greenway Trail east extension could open in two years
- GA: Peachtree Creek Greenway inching toward reality in Brookhaven
- CA: Four arrested after shots fired on Richmond Greenway
- NY: Yonkers rail trail nearing construction
- FL: Quincy votes to oppose Quincy/Havana Bike Trail
- OR: A closer look at Portland's road fatality rates
- OR: Speeding driver kills teenage girl
Protected Bike Lane Connects Downtown with Towpath
Akron, OH - "...The path is part of the city's effort to become more bicycle friendly and to encourage people to leave the Towpath Trail and experience downtown." more...
Updates to Ohio-to-Erie Trail Route
OH - "Here are the many changes that have taken place in the past three years..." more
Corroded Cables Brought Down Alum Creek Suspension Bridge
Columbus, OH - "The new bridge deck on the suspension bridge over Alum Creek near Wolfe Park was too heavy for the old, cracked and deteriorating cables that supported it..." more
Dayton Expands Bike Share
Dayton, OH - "...New locations have been added at RTA's Longworth Campus, the Montgomery County Job Center and Tech Town - bringing the total number of Link stations to 27." more...
CVNP Becoming Bigger Tourist Draw
Brecksville, OH - "...In the last 10 years, we have seen a dramatic increase in out-of-state visitation..." more
602-Foot Long Trail Bridge Opens
PA - "...The new Sullivan's Bridge, a 14-foot-wide, 602-foot-long bike-and-pedestrian bridge that crosses the Schuylkill, connecting the Schuylkill River Trail by Betzwood Park to the trails of Valley Forge National Historical Park..." more...
Autonomous Ubers Coming to Pittsburgh
PA - "Near the end of 2014, Uber co-founder and Chief Executive Officer Travis Kalanick flew to Pittsburgh on a mission: to hire dozens of the world's experts in autonomous vehicles..." more
Remembering Deb Hubsmith
"Today marks one year since the passing of Deb Hubsmith, founder of the Safe Routes to School National Partnership..." more
- NY: Filling gaps in the Hudson Valley Greenway Trail
- TN: Construction Kicks Off for Epping Way Section of Wolf River Greenway
- CA: New greenway trails take shape
- ID: New mountain bike trail system completed
- KY: Body found near walking trail at Iroquois Park
- FL: Puzzle comes together to connect Orlando-area trails
- MA: Hubway arrives in some underserved communities
- IL: Semi driver veered into bike lane, killing art student
- CO: Cyclists call new bike lane on Austin Bluffs a 'death trap'
- TX: Man owes city of Dallas $259 for not wearing a bicycle helmet
- PA: $37K Worth of Bicycle Equipment Stolen from Wounded Warrior Project
- GA: Sheriff candidate's post about shooting bicyclists sparks outrage
Canal Dover Association Planning Bike Routes & Trails
Tuscarawas County, OH - "...several groups are working to create safer cycling routes on roads and more off-road trails. Others are exploring the possibility of connecting the region's existing and planned bike paths." more...
Ohio Canal Greenway Connector Ribbon Cutting
Hebron, OH - "The Ohio Canal Greenway Connector will have a ribbon cutting at noon Friday at Canal Road, Hebron." more...
Guerrilla Bike Lanes Show Cities How to Make Safer Streets
"Since the city won't keep bikers safe, a group of San Francisco bikers is taking matters into its own hands..." more
Deadly Street Car Tracks?
Seattle, WA - "A look at her helmet explains the pieces of the story Melissa Riesland can't recall..." more
Helmet-Hating Rider Fined $220
AUS - "...In a seven-year battle against bike helmets Sue Abbott has had her driver's licence suspended, bikes confiscated and four criminal convictions recorded..." more
Driverless Buses to hit Finnish City's Streets
Finland - "Finland has been testing autonomous EasyMile buses on public roads for a little while now..." more
- CA: Bodega Bay trail opens Friday
- TN: College professor, student track greenway usage
- ID: Edson Fichter Nature Area Greenway now complete
- TN: Man Arrested In Car Burglaries At Greenways
- CO: $1B / year needed for Colorado pedestrians, cyclists, transit users
- SC: Bike lane over the Ashley River faces foes
- CA: Book bikes expand library resources to Yolo County readers
- WA: 80-year-old chases after bike thief
- MI: $400K project to get rid of house in Ann Arbor flood zone, advance greenway
Obstacles Stand in Way of Hudson Trail
Hudson, OH - "The city's park board proposed a north-to-south hike and bike paved trail through Hudson years ago, but as city engineers examine the proposed route, obstacles may change plans." more...
Officials Hope to Extend CoGo into Suburbs
Columbus, OH - "...Bexley, Grandview (Heights) and Upper Arlington are very, very close to Downtown and there seems to be a demand there..." more
Rescuers Find No Hiker at John Bryan State Park
Yellow Springs, OH - "...A caller reported hearing someone screaming, and that call prompted the dispatching of rescuers." more...
Star House Bike Rack Project
Columbus, OH - "My brother, Ryan, and I are fundraising money for a bike rack service project for the Star House..." more
Read the latest edition.
Manhattan's Oldest Neighborhood Goes Car-Free, Kind of...
NYC - "Cars restricted to 5mph over 60 blocks of Financial District at weekend, as transport department runs Shared Streets event inspired by Bogota and Paris." more...
Top 10 U.S. Cities with the Most Walkable New Construction
"...Walkability is one of the reasons the popularity of mixed-use developments has taken hold in the U.S..." more
10 Cities that are Starting to go Car-Free
"...Norway is preparing a bill that, if passed, would ban the sale of gas-powered cars in the country by 2025." more...
- ID: Portneuf Greenway revamping and expanding
- GA: ACC and Oconee Hill Cemetery Negotiate Greenway Access
- WI: Bike board recommends new greenway, bike signs
- ID: New Edson Fichter trail to be dedicated on Wednesday
- CAN: Hot-air balloonist lands on Greenway
- CAN: Sinkhole closes bike trail
- MA: Two options presented to improve bike path safety
- NE: City of Omaha bulldozes pothole-filled street after complaints
- UK: Bike theft drops by 25 percent to ten year low
- GA: Teen killed while confronting men about sister's stolen bike
Man Charged in CVNP Shooting
Akron, OH - "An Akron man is charged in federal court with shooting a woman three times in the head and leaving her in Cuyahoga Valley National Park over the July 4 weekend." more...
Read the latest edition.
Bear Chases Runner Along Vancouver Trail
CAN - "...Christopher Lubell says he was jogging when he saw a bear sitting in his path." more...
'Pocket Lanes' Debut in D.C.
D.C. - "There are some unusual new bike lanes at two intersections in DC." more...
- MA: MassDOT Withheld Taxpayer Subsidy From Greenway
- TN: Greenways plan would connect, improve Knox
- NJ: Jersey City Becomes Part of Continuous 3000-Mile East Coast Bike Path
- CA: Encinitas No Rail Trail group displeased
- CO: BLM partners with mountain bikers to combat illegal trails
- NY: Trail project offers residents a new way to improve their health
- WA: Fixing Seattle's Most Dangerous Street
Funding Secured for Bluffton Bike Path
Bluffton, OH - "Construction of the Lions Way-Augsburger Pathway in Bluffton will begin soon, with completion likely in late October..." more
Carless in Columbus
Columbus, OH - "People like the idea of living without a car. Why don't they?" more...
Plan Includes over 1,000-Miles of Bike Lanes
El Paso, TX - "...Creating an interconnected network of bike lanes is the goal, according to the plan..." more
Transpo Leaders Flabbergasted by Biketown Success
Portland, OR - "...While Biketown users don't have to sign up for annual memberships, more than 2,000 people have taken that step..." more
Rio Drops the Ball on Non-Motorized Travel
BRA - "...ahead of the Games, event ticketholders received a curious set of instructions via email, which specifically advised them to avoid non-motorized transportation, including bicycles, to reach Olympic venues." more...
- TN: Demand grows for parkside homes in Nashville
- NC: Increase safety for bicycling
- IL: Friends of Off Road Cycling builds trail for child living with autism
- CA: Group presents trail-only alternative to Santa Cruz County's Rail Trail
Knoxville Expected to add 24-Miles of Connective Greenways
TN - "During Thursday's public meeting at the John T. O'Connor Center, Knoxville Mayor, Madeline Rogero, unveiled a plan to add 24 new miles of connective greenways in 13 different corridors." more...
- NY: Higgins in support of plan for West River Greenway
- NJ: Proposed Roxbury Connector Trail Well Worth the $52K, say Proponents
- CO: Rimrocker Trail gaining traction
5 New CoGo Bike Share Stations Being Added
Columbus, OH - "Representatives from CoGo Bike Share and the City of Columbus released a joint announcement today about their system expansion..." more
Driver Guilty of all Counts in Causing Death of 2 Pedestrians
Columbus, OH - "...Franklin County Common Pleas jury found Terrance Trent guilty of all charges in the deaths of Stephanie Fibelkorn, 21, and William Lewis, 58, and for injuring two other people on Dec. 12, 2014." more...
Thieves Cut Down Tree to Steal Bike
PA - "A recent bike theft in Fishtown, Pennsylvania, has one owner scratching his head." more...
Even Drivers Prefer Protected Bike Lanes
"When it comes to allocating street space, it is often taken for granted that anything that benefits people on bikes harms people who drive..." more
Bike Route from St. Paul to Canada
MN - "Minnesota is about to get its second U.S. Bicycle Route." more...
- NC: $145K Grant for Bridge To Connect Middle Fork Greenway
- KY: Man who rigged trail cameras with explosives attempts escape, is shot
- GA: Mountain bike trail takes shape at old GE property
- MA: Framingham gets $400K for Dudley Road bike path
- TN: Department of Transportation grant to fund work on Dayton Greenway
- FL: Alligator Allegedly Kills Dog Along Greenway
- NOR: Oslo Gradually Phasing out Cars in Central City
Smart Planning Led to $8M Grant for Waterfront Trails
Cleveland, OH - "...The big, brilliant idea behind a nearly $8 million federal TIGER grant won by Cleveland Metroparks in late July is that the agency packaged five separate trail initiatives as a single new project..." more
Help Police Find Bike Thieves
Cleveland, OH - "About 20 bikes were stolen from the Tremont Lofts recently, and Cleveland police have released images related to the theft." more...
Clinics Held to Help Cyclists Ride Safely with Streetcars
Cincinnati, OH - "As Cincinnati gears up for the debut of the streetcar, city leaders want to make sure bicyclists will safely adjust to the changes." more...
Animated Maps Show Bike Share Popularity
"Bike-share systems, which make fleets of bicycles available for common use in a city (usually for a small fee), are catching on..." more
Big Cities Move Away From Car-Based Planning
"...Peter Newman, an expert of sustainability who has been researching car use since the early 1970s, sees a change underway..." more
Amtrak Bike Service: What Is It & Where To Find It
"Bike services found on Amtrak depend on multiple factors: train equipment, station staffing, station platform design, train scheduling, etc. And many passengers don't realize it, but not all Amtrak trains are completely controlled by Amtrak..." more
Why Land Use Matters for Cycling Advocacy
"Stephen and Kate Downing live in Palo Alto, California, where they split the rent with Stephen's sister and her family..." more
- IL: New Park Will Have Entrance To Major Taylor Bike Trail
- PA: Work on next phase of Westmoreland Heritage Trail set to begin
- SC: Cyclist found dead
- NY: Bike Sharing comes to Rome
- TN: Mayor unveils $45 million greenway plan
- OR: Transient gets 6 years for beating death along Greenway
- IRE: Cyclists' near misses at end of greenway
- CA: Bike lane projects become popular in Orange County
- GA: Atlanta's bike share program rolling along
- KY: Louisville's bike share system delayed another year
- OR: Portland's new protected bike lane on 2nd Avenue
Hockhocking Bikeway to be Extended
Athens, OH - "... It will run in front of Holzer Clinic and connect with Canaan Road. That project is expected to be finished in 2018." more...
Camp Chase Trail Gives Westside Greater Connectivity
Columbus, OH - "...The Camp Chase Trail is a notable development for Columbus because it reflects the city's progress on an issue that metro areas across the nation are grappling with: transit equity..." more
Delaware Considers Countywide Trail System
Delaware County, OH - "Delaware County officials plan to create a new committee to examine the possible paths forward for the expansion of multiuse trails throughout the county." more...
Park Bench Added to Bike Trail Mural
Little Miami Trail Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Bicyclist Killed in Hit-and-Run
Columbus, OH - "A bicyclist was killed after being struck by a car at the intersection of East Livingston Avenue and Westphal Avenue on Wednesday." more...
Summit Bike Share Encourages Cycling
Akron, OH - "...With the Akron program, which was funded with a $19,500 grant from the Knight Foundation, riders are encouraged to run errands over lunch or check out the Towpath Trail from downtown using one of the available bikes." more...
Better Block to put focus on Cuyahoga Falls
Cuyahoga Falls, OH - "When Getta Kutuchief and Samantha Coldwell look at the buildings located along the Front Street pedestrian mall, they are reminded of their travels to Europe." more...
Clintonville Swapping Car Lanes for Bike Lanes
Clintonville, OH - "If you drive through Clintonville, you can expect changes to an already busy stretch of roadway." more...
Potential changes to Over-the-Rhine's Main Street
Cincinnati, OH - "What many consider to be the heart of Over-the-Rhine could be getting a serious facelift..." more
Plans for Youngstwown Corridor Still Alive
Youngstown, OH - "...The project, dubbed the Youngstown SMART Corridor, includes plans to re-size roadways to fit current traffic and use the remaining space to create multi-usage roads." more...
RedBike Lands New Sponsor
Cincinnati, OH - "A new urban apartment complex has signed on to become the latest sponsor of Cincy Red Bike." more...
- GA: Routing greenway through cemetery is sensitive issue
- MA: Greenway Conservancy Rebuts Whistleblower Report
- NJ: Gloucester County gets bike trail funding
- IL: Bike trail dead end at Carol Stream will soon be history
- VT: Killington breaks ground on mountain bike trail system
- NC: CMPD targets uptown drivers who don't look out for pedestrians
- WA: Work starts Monday on bike lanes to connect Burke-Gilman, Fremont Bridge
Bicyclist Leads Police on I-275 Chase
Cincinnati, OH - "A bicyclist led Campbell County police on a more than six-mile-long chase Tuesday afternoon..." more
Scioto Trail Incident Leads to Potential Lawsuit
Columbus, OH - "On an unseasonably warm December weekend on a multi-use trail in Downtown's North Bank Park, a Rollerblading personal-injury attorney crossed paths with a Westerville family out for a stroll." more...
Ideas from Metro Parks Visitors Guiding Strategic Plan
Columbus, OH - "Metro Parks visitors want more trails and want them to connect to other parks and communities..." more
NTSB: Ohio Drivers are the Worst
Washington, D.C. - "...Though the Board continues to frown upon individuals driving under the influence of alcohol and illegal drugs, we wish to remind motorists that their greatest threat while traveling on the nation's highway system remains cars with Ohio license plates." more...
Female Cyclists Harrassed
Philadelphia, PA - "Women say they are forced to go through red lights and stop signs to escape motorists' sexual comments and threats." more...
USDOT's New Rule Focuses Only on Highways
"If a person uses a trail to get to work or school, and no one is around to measure the trip, do they count? They certainly should." more...
City Requests Bike Trail be Made out of Old Highway
Nicollet, MN - "...Counselors reasoned that leaving that segment of shoulder would allow bikers and walkers to have an entire loop around the city..." more
- GA: Springfield gets state grant for Greenway web site, app
- OR: Greenway Murder Suspect to Change Plea
- NY: Long Island Bike Path Plan Moving Forward
- FL: Streets Without Sidewalks Are Killing Florida Pedestrians
- MI: Detroit seeks 'pink zones' to revive neighborhoods
- WI: Response to fatality: Cars Do NOT Own the Road
- NJ: Cop pushed into traffic by bike-swiping teens, police say
- MI: Bloomfield Hills woman who blamed Target for bike fall loses appeal
- CAN: Bridge Has a New Feature: A Bike Path to Nowhere
Prairie Grass Trail Closure Coming
Bike Brecksville Forms
Brecksville, OH - "About 10 bicycle enthusiasts in Brecksville have started a new club that aims to promote safe cycling in town." more...
Quick-Thinking Cyclist Saves a Life on the Ledge
NYC - "...The guy was a 19-year-old from Massachusetts. He had climbed over the rail that separates the path from the concrete ledge..." more
DOT Will Study Widening the Brooklyn Bridge Walking & Biking Path
NYC - "The days of pedestrians and cyclists fighting for scraps of space on the Brooklyn Bridge may be numbered." more...
NTSB Finally Takes an Interest in Cycling Safety
"...Network blog Systemic Failure relays the news that NTSB is doing something unusual: It is investigating a fatal crash where the victims were cycling..." more
- GA: Mayor outlines plans to revitalize MLK corridor
- GA: Part of North Oconee Greenway will be added to 39-mile-long trail
- NC: Fayetteville mountain bike trail opens
- WA: Redmond police responds to reported assault on Marymoor bike trail
- MN: New trail provides downtown connection in Red Wing
- MA: Newbury Street closes to cars for a day
- WA: Remade Burke-Gilman opens today
Woman Running Across US for 9/11 Memorial Trail
"Jan Walker, an ultra distance runner began her Rise Up for the Fallen: Run Across America on March 1 in Oceanside, California, and will arrive at the Pentagon Memorial this summer." more...
A Month After Kate & Heather's Deaths, Mayor Takes Action
San Francisco, CA - "It's a little over a month since two cyclists were killed in one night on San Francisco's streets: Kate Slattery, who was killed South of Market, and Heather Miller, who died while riding in Golden Gate Park. Today, in a rare move, Mayor Edwin Lee, after talks with the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition, issued an Executive Directive to bring safety improvements to the locations where they were killed." more...
Cyclists Push for Action Against Hoon Motorcyclists
AUS - "Cyclists want tougher penalties to help stamp out what they claim is a growing problem of motorcyclists putting lives at risk by hooning on bike paths." more...
- AR: Bella Vista opens first part of bike trail
- WI: Janesville police look for dog owner in biting incident
- CO: Talking about walking, biking
Academy Park Bridge Finally Reopens
Columbus, OH - The Academy Park Bridge has been reopened along the Alum Creek Trail.
Missing Ohio Teen Found in Grand Teton National Park
"Searchers located an Ohio teen who went missing in Grand Teton National Park on Saturday and tracked her down after she fled when authorities tried to rescue her." more...
Brecksville Dam Targeted for Demolition
Brecksville, OH - "A plan to enhance fish and other wildlife in a cleaner Cuyahoga River may soon come to fruition with the removal of the last impediment to a free-flowing river from Akron to Lake Erie." more...
Cleveland Metroparks Building Food Forest
North Olmstead, OH - "...We are repurposing it into a food forest, which is basically using forest plants -- shade loving plants -- that will provide food for wildlife..." more
BikeTown Protest Sign Draws Attention
Portland, OR - "No true Portlander can resist leaving a passive-aggressive note. But some of those notes are better than others." more...
Beating Traffic on Two Wheels
BRA - "Leave it to the Dutch to use two-wheeled transport to dodge Olympic-sized traffic snarls in a city where bike culture is still in its infancy." more...
3 Cycling Rules of the Road Police Officers Often Get Wrong
"While most police officers make an effort to enforce traffic laws fairly, they can still get them wrong..." more
- GA: Big Creek Greenway opens new phase
- PA: Tracy Ridge bike trail proposal causes contention
- GA: Tybee Island officials working to expand bicycle trail system
- MN: Bike lanes coming to Payne Avenue this fall
- VA: Ghent roads in Norfolk are becoming more bike-friendly
- IA: Ames celebrates trail expansion on Saturday
- CO: RTD, if no rail, then trail?
- FL: $5,500 bicycle stolen from Deerfield Beach store returned
ODOT Designating Bike Routes in Butler County
Butler County, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Transportation's Districts 7 and 8, which includes Butler County, are working with local jurisdictions to designate seven possible U.S. and state bike routes." more...
Volunteers Sought for Bench Installation
Mansfield, OH - "Mankind Murals Inc in collaboration with Richland Public Health and local residents will assemble and install a six-foot park bench next to the new mural, '6:07 AM' which was recently completed at the Fourth Street bridge on the B&O bike trail." more...
Parking Lot Paving Closures Along Towpath
CVNP, OH - Canal Exploration Center will be closed August 8 and the Lock 39 Trailhead at Rockside Road will be closed August 9. more...
Wheels4Change Works to get Vets on Bikes
Clinton, OH - "...the group will soon make bicycles available for veterans to borrow at Ohio Veterans' Memorial Park." more...
Perception of Women at Risk Undermines City Trails
Janesville, WI - "Women are not using Janesville's bike and walking trails as often as men, and it may be caused by a perception that women are not safe on them at times, a recent report suggests." more...
What the Latest Version of Google Maps tells Us about Cities
"...But beyond making money for Google, the redesign acts as an activity guide to the city for users -- both visitor and resident alike..." more
- MN: Multiuse trail to run from BC to Dayton
- AK: 79-year-old woman spends unplanned night in Alaska forest
- ME: East Coast Greenway Gets Help From Maine DOT
- IN: Greenway could benefit East Central Indiana
- CAN: Arbutus Greenway asphalt paving put on hold
- PA: New trail opens in Ohiopyle State Park
- NJ: Somers Point gets $755,000 grant to improve bike path
- NY: Bike path detours near temporary Venice library site
- OR: Fatal bicycle collision in Portland
- UK: British woman dies after cycling into ravine on Pyrenees holiday
Marble Cliff, UA Partner on Trail Project
Marble Cliff, OH - "...The two communities plan to replace the asphalt on the roadway and create a separate multiuse path for bicyclists and pedestrians on the south side of Fifth Avenue that will connect with the Scioto Greenway Trail." more...
Road Project Includes Multiuse Trail
Westerville, OH - "...The project will cost nearly $10 million, and according to plans, will add an additional lane to Sunbury Road between County Line and Maxtown roads, as well as adding curbs, storm sewers, street lights, a sidewalk on the west side of the street and a multi-use trail along Hoover Reservoir on the east side." more...
Mom uses Social Media to Recover Stolen Bike for Son
Staten Island, NY - "On Sunday afternoon, 9-year old Anthony Valois left his bike in front of his house in Richmond to go inside for a glass of water." more...
Cyclist's iphone Ignites after Crash
"An Australian mountain biker wound up in the hospital after his cell phone caught fire and burned through his spandex." more...
Woman Arrested after Driving Down Bike Trail
WI - "A woman has been arrested for her 7th OWI after police found her driving down a recreation trail Wednesday." more...
- NJ: Booby traps placed on popular New Jersey park trail
- MN: Fremone Ave Bridge closes to motor vehicle traffic
- TN: 2 Disturbing Incidents Reported at Cleveland Greenway
- NY: Final connection planned for trailways in Elmsford
- MI: Voters show support for local trail system
- MI: Detroit bike share program moves forward with naming of vendor
- OR: Ankeny Alley now has a promenade you can bike through
Metroparks to Add Mountain Bike Trail
Toledo, OH - "The Metroparks of the Toledo Area's well-known network of trails for walkers, bicyclists, runners, and equestrians is set to be enhanced with a new single track trail for mountain bicyclists." more...
How to Build a Thriving, Equitable Bike-Share System
"...Our latest collaboration with the National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) examines how to build a thriving, equitable bike-share system." more...
Safe Routes to School Newsletter
Read the August issue.
Runner Found Strangled
NYC - "A woman was killed on an early evening run in a secluded section of a marshland park after her father warned her it might not be safe to go there without him, police said Wednesday." more...
- CAN: Arbutus' asphalt greenway paved with good intentions?
- PA: New Map of All of Philly's Bike Lanes
- IA: Clay County Trails vow collaboration
- UK: McDonald's is testing walk-through lanes for pedestrians
- OR: This is what freight delivery looks like in Portland
- WA: John Wayne Pioneer Trail closed through training base this summer
- FL: Broward gets $11.4M federal grant for ped & bike road projects
ODOT Planning Bike Route Through Covington
Covington, OH - "...State Bike Route 36 (SBR36) extends from the Piqua area and utilizes back roads that mostly run parallel along US Route 36, including Ingle Road through Covington..." more
Bicycle-Mounted Police Unit Stay On After RNC
Cleveland, OH - "...Bicycle-mounted officers will not continue patrolling in units of 30-40 as seen at the RNC, rather units will 'probably be two or four guys together working as teams doing things in the neighborhood,' bike patrol head Capt. Thomas Mandzak told Cleveland.com's Eric Heisig." more...
Cascade Locks Park Association Receives Foundation Grant
Akron, OH - "...The Cascade Locks Park Association's mission is to preserve, protect and promote the industrial, commercial and cultural heritage of the Cascade Locks Park along locks 10 through 16 of the Ohio and Erie Canal..." more
Kimber Perfect Injured in Car-Bike Collision
Columbus, OH - "...Perfect was cycling in Port Clinton, Ohio near Lake Erie on Wednesday morning when she was struck by a car..." more
Outpouring of Good Will to Troubled Touring Cyclist
AL - "...Alabama ranks dead last on the League of American Bicyclists list of bike-friendly states. The Alabama Department of Transportation has been about as gracious to bikes as motorist Ronald Levi Hughes was to cyclist Max Mioducki on Monday." more...
- KY: Bill hopes to attract more cyclists, provide safer rides
- CT: Grant to connect Canal Greenway to Meadowbrook Golf Course
- OK: Rogers County Cyclists Excited For First Trail System
- ID: Record number of visitors bike Hiawatha Trail in July
- NJ: Applauding N.J. for its work on 3,000-mile bike path
- NE: Expert sees Omaha taking big steps toward a more walkable city
- OR: "Crossbikes" -- Portland's latest bikeway innovation
- MI: Charging Bicycle Sparks Apartment Fire
- FL: Man steals $5,500 bicycle from Deerfield Beach store
UHBikeShare Bringing GPS-Enabled Bikes this Fall
Cleveland, OH - "...There are 100 University Hospital Bikes in 10 stations around downtown right now. Come September, there will be 250 bikes in 30 stations, from Tremont, to downtown, to University Circle." more...
Drone Gives Different Perspective of Pickaway Parks
Circleville, OH - "...Now residents will be able to get a bird's-eye view of ... Pickaway County trails before they set out on a hike, thanks to the latest in drone technology." more...
Central Pkwy Crashes Comparable Before & After Bike Lanes
Cincinnati, OH - "...The question arose earlier this year: Has adding the bike lanes to Central Parkway's traffic configuration caused more crashes along the stretch?..." more...
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Lift Station Malfunction Causes Fish Kill
Lima, OH - "A lift station malfunction causes hundreds of dead fish to pile up around the Auglaize River." more...
Work Continues to Link Canadian & US Trail Systems
"...East Coast Greenway's executive director Dennis Markatos-Soriano is hoping to link it to the 2,000 kilometres of trails in New Brunswick and from there the 24,000 kilometre trail system across Canada." more...
Road Rage Encounter Cuts Cross-Country Ride Short
AL - "...The dispute resumed and Hughes began revving his engine. Mioducki said he moved out of the way thinking Hughes was going to run over him..." more...
Should a Bike-Share Ride Cost the Same as the Bus?
"...if there were an option to use bike-share the way I use transit -- paying $2.50 to $3 for a single ride from point A to B -- I would use it far more often." more...
Shouldn't all Cities have a 'Cycle Superhighway' Plan?'
AUS - "It might look like all political gain and no financial pain, but the WA Government's Cycling Network Plan is a valuable and important exercise that governments elsewhere should emulate as soon as possible." more...
People For Bikes Announces Grants for Bike Projects
Boulder, CO - "PeopleForBikes has announced its latest round of community grants." more...
Halving Traffic Deaths & Injuries by 2020
"The UN has an ambitious goal to cut road deaths and injuries by 50% in five years. Are governments and donors finally prioritising the issue?" more...
- MI: Bridge repairs along Lansing-area trails get $4.7M boost
- UT: Bill would end longstanding ban on bikes in US wilderness
- IN: Work to resume on Indiana Greenway project
- TX: Hike and Bike Trail Construction Moves Along
- NY: Grand Island Town Board votes to oppose bike path plan
- OR: Bike Theft Task Force officers host ride-along on the Springwater Corridor
Suspect Arrested in Car-Bicycle Hit-Skip
Lakewood, OH - "...The woman gave police a description of the car and was taken to Fairview Hospital. Officers located a car matching the description..." more
Columbus' Bike Cops See New World of Policing
Columbus, OH - "...A bike can do what three officers can do on foot..." more
Bike Sharing Still a Hit in Fargo
ND - "Thanks to bikers, Fargo is still holding the national record for the most rides per bike per day through bike sharing." more...
- VA: Rocky Gap Greenway project gets going
- CA: Homemade spike strip found on Marin trail
- CO: Powderhorn's new mountain bike trails thrill beginners and experts
- UK: 20mph speed limit to go live in Edinburgh
- OR: Bicyclist killed in crash north of Battle Ground
- CA: Man shot to death at Bell Bike Path
Monroe Moving Ahead with Great Miami Trail Extension
Monroe, OH - "Monroe is planning to move forward to develop its portion of the Great Miami River Recreation Trail by engaging an engineering firm to begin construction drawings for the project." more...
Warrior Bike Trail Dedicated
Ohio City, OH - "...The Warrior Bike Trail cost more than $400,000 with most of funding was made possible through the Clean Ohio Fund." more...
Yay Bikes! July Report
Columbus, OH - Read the July advocacy report.
- WV: Wheeling's Heritage Trail Shows Signs of Wear
- IN: Urban trail change to State Street project better option
- ME: Plans for Round the Mountain Trail emerging
- OR: Police ride through Springwater Corridor to find stolen bikes
Bicyclist Abducted, Murdered
Toledo, OH - "...The University of Toledo student went missing on July 19 while riding her purple bicycle in rural Fulton County, west of Toledo." more...
New Bike Path Connector Proposed in Moraine
Cleveland & Akron Selected from Hundreds of Grant Applicants
Washington - "More than 500 communities sought $9.3 billion in transportation grants from a program that gave Cleveland and Akron projects close to $13 million this week..." more
NPS Reopens Brandywine Gorge Trail Bridge
Brecksville, OH - "...The bridge provides safe crossing over Brandywine Creek for hikers on the Brandywine Gorge Trail, which starts at Brandywine Falls in Sagamore Hills..." more
Separating Peds & Bikes Along the Lakefront Trail
Chicago, IL - "...For years, trail users have advocated for separate trails. Last November two paths -- one with crushed gravel for pedestrians and a paved asphalt trail for cyclists -- were opened..." more
- NC: Greenway section nears completion
- NY: Third phase of Oklawaha Trail opens
- UK: Bikers unhappy after bike trail at Hemlock Stone 'completely destroyed'
- UT: Feds approve $20M grant for bike/ped trails across Wasatch Front
- OR: Bike and Build team rolls through Portland
- OR: A woman has died while bicycling on SE 82nd
- WA: 520 Trail gets so close, yet so far
- FL: Deputies provide bike to hard-working teen in need
Teen Arrested for Groping Trail Runner
Mariemont, OH - "A teen from Madisonville is locked up after police said he groped a woman who was running on a trail in Mariemont." more...
Visual Tour of Lake to Lakes Trail
OH - "This has been a big week for bike and pedestrian mobility in Northeast Ohio..." more
Part Bike-Lane, Part Sidewalk - Shared Trail Raises Fears
CAN - "Crews are getting ready to pour concrete for Edmonton's newest set of bike lanes, but cyclists and others worry they look more like sidewalks." more...
Bike Professional of the Year
"...During 16 years of public service to the City of Palo Alto, Kathy created one of the most successful Safe Routes to School programs in the nation, and it has been a model for many others." more...
- GA: City proposes $16.5 million in transportation projects
- CO: Man accused of dropping tacks on popular Jefferson County bike route
- OR: 22 citations given in police Greenway sweep
- TX: Downtown Dallas taking steps to be more pedestrian friendly
Important Bike Trails Coming to Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "...This is huge. It has been dubbed the 'Reconnecting Cleveland' project, and it's estimated to cost a hair more than $16 million..." more
Athens Bike Path Taking Shape
$5M to Complete Downtown Promenade
Akron, OH - "...The city will use the money from the U.S. Department of Transportation to build a green corridor on Main Street, with street and sidewalk repairs, new on-street parking and dedicated bike lanes. The city also will add transit and traffic enhancements, a roundabout, new signage and green infrastructure." more...
Body Found in Park; No Foul Play Suspected
Marysville, OH - "...A Marysville police officer who was patrolling the Jim Simmons Trail on a bicycle arrived on the scene and saw body in the water about 10 feet from the shore." more...
Measure the Movement of People, Not Cars
"The federal government hands states about $40 billion a year for transportation, money they can basically spend however they want..." more
Where the Sidewalk Funding Ends
"...A quick survey of sidewalk ordinances around the country reveals of patchwork of policies, with no regional or political patterns..." more
- OR: Medford PD increase Bear Creek Greenway patrols
- TN: Children's Mountain Bike Training Trail Opens
- VA: Eminent domain land value gets major adjustment at hearing
- WI: Ride with the Mayor shows La Crosse's bicycle features
- AZ: Hike or bike new trails Saturday
- OR: Why Portland, of All Places, Came Late to Bike-Share
- OR: College uses cargo trikes instead of trucks to keep campus quiet
- CAN: One-third of biking injuries in Toronto involve streetcar tracks
- OR: First look at ODOT's new Sunrise Corridor bikeway
- WA: SW Admiral Way bike lanes ready for summer construction
- CA: Cyclist who struck Zipcar with bike lock sentenced to probation
Bikes vs. Cars... Doo Dah, Doo Dah!
"For those who thought the Bikes vs. Cars wars were over (like in NYC), I have bad news. The latest battle lines were drawn at the Doo Dah parade in Columbus, Ohio and quickly spread to all-out combat online." more...
Towpath Gets 400-Foot Mural
Akron, OH - "...Jessica Lofthus' 400-foot mural sort of happened by mistake. Instead of taking an example of her work and applying it to a 20-foot portion of the wall, her tech savvy husband misunderstood the requirements and applied her art to the entire wall..." more
Underground Railroad Center on Track for 2020 Opening
Oberlin, OH - "It's pretty well known that Oberlin was a famous stop on the Underground Railroad, which helped runaway slaves escape to Canada..." more
RAGBRAI Fatality Prompts Call for New Bike Laws
Des Moines, IA - "A deadly start to the 2016 Register's Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa has Governor Terry Branstad preparing to tackle the problem head-on." more...
Florida-to-Maine Bike Path Picks up Speed
"A continuous Maine-to-Florida cycling path that's been kicking around since the first Bush administration has been getting a whole lot of attention as of late." more...
1st US Bike Share Death Highlights Need for Better Infrastructure
IL - "Chicago's Divvy bike share system witnesses its first fatality and highlights need for better bike infrastructure." more...
Cyclists Have Mixed Feelings About New Road Safety Campaign
Pittsburgh, PA - "Bicyclists in Pittsburgh are reacting to a new billboard along Baum Boulevard in the East End, which tells drivers 'Riders aren't always in the right. But they are always fragile.'" more...
'Pokemon Go' puts Pedestrians in Harm's Way
San Antonio, TX - "10-15 percent of children in trauma center were hit by motor vehicles." more...
Why Banning E-MTBs Could Hurt Mountain Biking
"...By dictating which group of riders gets to ride where, we're dumping fuel on an already scalding hot set of coals..." more
- CT: Shoreline Greenway Trail Moving Forward in Guilford
- OR: Ninth Greenway fire under investigation
- NC: Police recover several guns along greenway
- CAN: Candidate hits campaign trail on bike
- NY: Disagreement over final location threatens to delay completion
- PA: PennDOT studies bike trail improvements in Erie County
- CAN: Edmonton's downtown bike lane network study aims to rival Calgary
- UK: Family of tragic teenage Moray cyclist aim to open downhill bike trail in his honour
Metroparks gets nearly $8M for Bike & Ped Paths
Washington, D.C. - "Cleveland Metroparks has been awarded a $7.95 million federal transportation grant to build more than four miles of bicycle and pedestrian trails in central Cleveland, including a bridge to connect the existing Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail to the lakefront..." more
New Bike Lanes on Madison Avenue in Lakewood
Money Pledged for Towpath Bridge Replacement
Man in Wheelchair Injured in Hit-Skip
Columbus, OH - "Before Chandler Dailey could process that a car was headed right for him, he was struck head-on and thrown from his motorized wheelchair." more...
Road Upgrades to Improve Bike Safety
Clark County, OH - "A series of safety upgrades along Croft Road in Clark County are planned to make the roadway share-able and safer for bikers and pedestrians." more...
Plans to Buy Fitness Center Land on Hold
Canton, OH - "A plan to purchase 5.5 acres of land near Hall of Fame Fitness Center for a bike trail has stalled." more...
It's Time to Build Protected Bike Lanes in Iowa
IA - "For one week of the year, thousands of riders take to Iowa roads for RAGBRAI. For the remaining 51 weeks, most riders will return back to the safety of the trails..." more
Will More Bike-Share Systems Opt for "Smart Bikes?"
"When Portland launched its bike-share system last week, it became the biggest American city to go live with a 'smart bikea model..." more
RTC Releases TrADE Report
"Federal funds have played a key role in building many trails across the country, and as an advocate for these places, RTC continues to keep a close eye on federal programs with its annual Transportation Enhancements and Alternatives Spending Report." more...
What is a Two-Stage Left Turn Queue Box?
"A Two-Stage Left Turn Queue Box (Left Turn Box) is the technical name for the painted green square a cyclist can use to make a left turn..." more
- NV: Rescuers help Pacific Crest Trail hikers
- MI: Island Lake gaining hiking trail
- MA: Two bike accidents along Provincelands Bike Trail Sunday afternoon
- WI: Supervisors endorse cross-country bike route's Columbia County section
- GA: Momentum gaining for Coastal Georgia Greenway Trail
- VA: Waynesboro's South River Greenway Project Entering Second Phase
- CA: Pipe Bomb Investigation Blocks Bike Trail Near Cal Expo
- AZ: Cyclist dies during mountain bike trail ride
- CAN: Halifax councillor proposes motorized bike ban for trails, parks
- PA: Bicyclists' injuries on rise on Pittsburgh streets
- TN: Bike Chattanooga celebrates four years
- OR: Bike Theft Task Force spreads awareness at Sunday Parkways
- WA: A trip-planning app that mixes bike share and transit
- GA: Atlanta Looks for Options Where Bidirectional Protected Bike Lanes Intersect
Licking County Parks Celebrates 25 Years
Newark, OH - "...The district has brought back programs that died away. It's made repairs to its 11 parks and to the nearly 40 miles of bike trails it maintains..." more
- OR: Agencies investigate string of Greenway fires
- CA: Fort Ord Rec Trail and Greenway project aims to connect communities
- MI: Michigan Avenue parking restricted during Gateway Trail work
- CO: Several miles of new trail in the works in Steamboat Springs
Improvements Coming to Loveland Trail
Loveland, OH - "...In conjunction with ODNR's repaving, the city will improve safety and traffic flow at the two bike trail crossings." more...
Roll Turns to Building its Own Bikes
Columbus, OH - "...Hunter is launching Roll Bicycle Co. with a party Thursday night, a Kickstarter campaign hoping to raise $40,000 and plans to be selling Columbus-assembled bicycles to customers by November..." more
How 7 Cities Got More People Biking
"There's now even more data to suggest that building out bike infrastructure is central to increasing bike ridership and equity..." more
- WY: Laramie riders to brainstorm on Pole Mountain trails
- MO: Body found near St. Louis bike trail
- OR: Willamette Greenway is path to better valley for all
- NC: A protected bike lane through uptown?
- CA: New park along Comanche Creek opens
- IN: Solar lights installed along Pigeon Creek Greenway
- AUS: Cyclists set to get bike path upgrade in Melbourne's west
- IL: Libertyville bike path extension opens
- IL: Cook County offers transportation plan
- OR: Report shows Portland falling further behind peers on bikeway growth
- OR: The new public plaza on SW 3rd
Incidents Reported on Newly Designed Summit Street
Columbus, OH - "...It was the second time in about six months Roe had been hit while riding her bicycle. Both times were on Summit Street..." more
Gnadenhutten Council Approves Hiking Trail
Gnadenhutten, OH - "Council approved the development of a bicycle, hiking route proposed by the Ohio Department of Transportation. Village officials feel it will be an asset to the community and the county." more...
Cincinnati, OH - "When it comes to sharing the road with bikes, Cincinnati is not Amsterdam. Yet." more...
Bookmobile Brings Books on Bike
Yellow Springs, OH - "...The mobile library consists of a brand new blue bike pulling a trailer bedecked in library insignia, which features two fold out shelves filled with books..." more
Quality Bike Facilities Increase Ridership & Make Biking Safer
"NACTO research in seven cities shows that pairing bike share with protected bike lanes encourages riding, increases the visibility of people on bikes, and reduces overall biking risk." more...
Bike Trail Artist named Getting Results Award Winner
"...For the past four years, Sonksen has been painting non-stop. He's painted more than 1,000 works that stretch for nearly a mile..." more
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy E-Magazine
Read the Green Issue.
- NC: Driver charged with DWI in death of Statesville bike store owner
- IA: Stubbornness pays off for coffee-serving man and his mule
- AZ: Lightning strike kills 17-year-old hiker
- UK: England Coast Path expands with new 68-mile section
- TX: Hike and bike trail set to be built on Padre Island
- PA: Hostel opens along GAP in McKeesport
- VA: Fort Myer will soon be much more bike and pedestrian friendly
- CA: Man attacked in attempted River Trail robbery pushes for more safety
- LA: NY firm recommended to design, operate New Orleans bicycle sharine
- OR: Dominoes keep falling for a continuous river path in South Waterfront
- CT: Biketown contract -- you'd better read the fine print
- WA: SDOT is "microsurfacing" notorious stretch of the Missing Link
Study Confirms: Protected Bike Lanes get more People on Bikes
"...new research from the National Association of City Transportation Officials (NACTO) concludes that decent protected bike infrastructure not only dramatically increases the number of people riding and reduces the number of people injured or killed, but that it is important for social and economic equity..." more
Over 2,300 Trips on Biketown Bike Share in Girst 24 Hours
Portland, OR - "It hasn't taken long for Portland to embrace bike share..." more
More People Bike and Biking Gets Safer
"The more people bike on the streets, the safer the streets are for everyone who bikes. This phenomenon, originally identified by researcher Peter Jacobsen, is known as "safety in numbers." And that's exactly what American cities are seeing as they add bike infrastructure..." more
Pedestrian Hit on Hike-and-Bike Trail
TX - "...The trail has been the scene of auto-pedestrian accidents before, and city officials have wrestled with how to improve safety there." more...
- NE: Woman reports man exposing himself on Lincoln bike trail
- NYC: Program to maintain BK Greenway expands citywide
- GA: Oconee River Greenway off the table
- FL: Trails Symposium a think tank for ideas for SJC greenway system
- CA: Chico celebrating Comanche Creek opening Friday
- NY: 200 show up for debate over proposed West River bike trail
- OR: Sasquatch returns in state's new crosswalk safety video
Elyria Bicyclist Hit, Killed in Lorain County
New Russia Twp., OH - "...The van's right rearview mirror hit Snyder, knocking him off his bicycle." more...
Cyclist's Killer to be Sentenced in August
OH - "...once there is a Guilty finding, you CAN get involved. You can write a letter to the judge and tell the judge what YOU think the sentence for Ms. Woodall ought to be..." more.
Pokeman Go Crash
Auburn, NY - "So a driver crashed into a tree while playing Pokemon Go on his smartphone in Auburn, N.Y. No one saw that coming, right?" more...
Elvis Trail Opens
Tupelo, MS - "It has taken nearly two years, but the Elvis Presley Birthplace Trail in Tupelo is now finished. more...
Teens Attack Man on Redding River Trail
Redding, CA - "...Officers responded to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon on the River Trail on the north side of highway 44 near Sundial Bridge Drive." more...
Motorists Want Protected Bike Lanes Too
"...the majority of motorists also reported feeling greater comfort with more separation." more...
- NV: Rescuers help hiker down from Genoa trail
- IN: LaSalle Trail just weeks away from opening
- IN: State Street project modified to add Fifth Street urban trail
- OR: Greenway fires under investigation
- CA: LA River pedestrian-bike path makes headway
- IRE: Decapitation fears as fishing wire trap sabotages mtb trail in Belfast
- PA: Better bike, pedestrian routes eyed for Blawnox
- MN: Prioritizing pedestrians over cars shakes up Minneapolis street design
- MA: House gets behind statewide ticket for blocking bike lanes
- SC: Bike lane over the Ashley River rolls forward
- NYC: Bike lane safety initiative results in thousands of tickets against drivers
- OR: Portlanders for Central City Bikeways' Facebook group will help advocates network online
Madison County Bike Trail Use on the Rise
Madison County, OH - "...They're coming from all over the country..." more
Woman Pleads in Crash that Killed Cyclist
Hamilton County, OH - "An Amelia woman who officials said was under the influence of prescription drugs when she drove an SUV into a cyclist, killing him, has pleaded no contest to charges including aggravated vehicular homicide." more...
Seattle Settles Kung Estate Claim for $3.5M
WA - "...Kung was killed at 2nd and University in August 2014 just ten days before the dangerous paint-only bike lane on the street was upgraded to a protected bike lane..." more
Trail Attack Victim Speaks Out
Waterloo, IA - "Police continue to investigate multiple reports of attacks on the trails, one of those attacks leaving a woman with a broken foot." more...
Neighbors Demand Fix after Second Crosswalk Death
MD - "Another bicycle rider is dead in the very same Silver Spring crosswalk where a teenage cyclist died six and a half months ago." more...
- WV: Charleston unveils bike and trail plan
- NY: Dangerous bike path proposal?
- TX: Woman hospitalized after dog bite on trail along Lady Bird Lake
- CT: Gap In Bike, Walking Path Focus Of Plainville Hearing
- OR: Crew Responds to Eighth Greenway Fire in 2 Weeks
- CAN: Driver hits, kills a pedestrian for 2nd time
- OR: Two new traffic diverters installed on Ankeny and Mississippi
Further Action Needed to Curb Violent Threats at Doo Dah Parade
Columbus, OH - "A death threat is not free speech, it is terrorism. In our violent age, all threats are serious." more...
Building the Longest Hiking Trail in Missouri
MO - "Long-term goal to connect St. Louis toFort Smith, Arkansas, via trans-Ozark trail." more...
Welcome Mat out for Once-Shunned Mountain Bikers
CA - "Mountain bicyclists used to be called bad boys of the trails: young, cocky and fast-riding outlaws whose behavior led to them being banned from many natural public lands around the Bay Area." more...
Chris Boardman's Mother Killed in Cycling Crash
UK - "...Carol Boardman, herself a former racing cyclist, died from injuries sustained in collision with a pick-up truck..." more
- CAN: Arbutus Greenway project ahead of schedule
- GA: Big Creek Greenway land disputes resolved
- FL: Ormond looks to expand bike trail system
- MA: Springfield officials, residents pursue long-discussed bike trail
- CA: San Ysidro gets a new pedestrian entrance
- CAN: Vancouver's burgeoning bike routes spin off new businesses
Ride to Remember Benefits Bluffton Bike Trails
Bluffton, OH - "...More than 150 riders turned out for this year's event, compared to about 100 a year ago..." more
Pittsburgh Group Recruits Bicyclists to Help Monitor Air Quality
PA - "A group trying to clean up Pittsburgh's air is now using a unique method to check the quality of the air we breathe." more...
- WVA: New mountain biking trail opens at Oglebay
- IRE: Connemara Greenway grant a boost for tourism
- WA: Construction on new pedestrian/bike trail near S. 132nd Street
- MN: Mankato bike lane system to grow in coming weeks
- UT: Tourists rescued when rising temps cut mountain bike ride short
- CT: Condo owners near trail complain about pedestrian, bicycle traffic
- CO: New Fruita trail connects north, south parts of city
- MT: Lolo-Missoula bike trail opening 'culmination of a really long dream'
Preview of AASHTO's Bike Guide
"As the most influential U.S. transportation engineering organization rewrites its bike guide, there seems to be general agreement that protected bike lanes should be included for the first time." more...
Homeless Teen Bikes 6 Hours to get to College
Barnesville, GA - "At just 19 years old, Fred Barley has proven he knows what he wants out of life and he'll do anything to make it happen." more...
Mayor Plans To Clear Homeless Camps From Bike Path
Portland, OR - "Portland Mayor Charlie Hales says the city will move hundreds of homeless campers off a southeast Portland bike path." more...
- OR: Another Fire Investigated on Bear Creek Greenway
- NYC: Much of the 158th St. Greenway Connector Is Missing
- IA: Mountain bike advocates target Asbury for new trail
- OR: Portland has finally bridged the the notorious Naito Gap
- PA: Man's bike stolen after cross country journey
UHBikes Pre-Launch to Roll Out in Time for RNC
Cleveland, OH - "...The pre-launch station locations will be in the downtown area, while the full system of 250 red-colored bikes, branded with UH logo, will be available across the city in September." more...
Unanimous Vote to End Unjust Insurance Law
D.C. - "On Tuesday, the DC Council unanimously approved a bill to end the extremely unjust 'contributory negligence' rule which frequently forbids people who are hit when walking or biking from collecting medical costs from a driver's insurance." more...
Alligator Captured on Minnesota Bike Trail
Brainerd, MN - "People using a lakeside bike trail in central Minnesota might expect to encounter some wildlife along the way. But not an alligator." more...
Snarky Signs Tell Drivers to Respect Cyclists
CAN - "Hey drivers: chill out. That's the message behind some snarky new road signs on the McIlraith Bridge in Old Ottawa East. more...
World's 'Most Polluted Street' Will Go Pedestrian-Only
UK - "London's Oxford Street will ban cars, buses and taxis starting in 2020." more...
- NC: Body found on Raleigh greenway identified as homeless man
- VA: $1.2M Lincoln Tunnel Greenway opens, links Vista to Finlay Park
- PA: Pike 2 Bike trail, known as abandoned turnpike, undergoes cleanup
- CO: Denver's First Mile/Last Mile Disconnect: Sidewalks
- OR: Mayor Hales plans complete removal of Springwater path camps
- WA: Pronto releases a #SalmonBike
- MI: Driver downed handfuls of pain pills before hitting cyclists, girlfriend says
Construction Continues on Tallgrass Trail
Marion, OH - "...Construction of the next three-mile stretch of the trail is now underway,.." more...
Lakewood Bike Lanes Feature Intersection Crossings
Lakewood, OH - "...The new bike lanes will run for more than two miles, most of the length of Madison avenue, and will include two safety features that are a first for Northeast Ohio..." more
Most Drivers Admit Road Rage
"Nearly 8 of every 10 U.S. drivers admit expressing anger, aggression or road rage at least once in the previous year..." more
Changes Made After String of Attacks on Trail
Durhan, NC - "...Durham police say they've increased bike patrols on the trail since the attacks. Signs have also been places around the trail, reminding walkers and bikers to be alert when using the trail." more...
Bicyclist Dies after Riding Over Downed Power Line
Tampa, FL - "...He was identified as 47-year-old Gregory Patterson, an active officer with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission." more...
Teenagers Cited for Pokeman while Driving
AUS - "Sydney police say the teenagers, who were each fined $325, put themselves and others at great risk." more...
The Cycle & Ped Smart Traffic Light
Holland - "...In Holland, they're aiming for both efficiency and safety, tackling the traffic problem with technology." more...
- VA: Bike rental launches near Richmond end of Virginia Capital Trail
- SC: Final phase of downtown Columbia trail opens to pedestrians, cyclists
- MN: Supporters excited for Mpls. public works chief appointee
- OR: City responds after bike share station locations spur complaints
- NYPD: Unhinged Driver Chases Cyclists In Brooklyn Bike Lane, NYPD Shrugs
- NZ: Former Highway Offramp Into a Shocking Pink Bike Path
- MI: Help Michigan Achieve a 5' Passing Law!
Renowned Firms Hired to Design Wasson Way
Cincinnati, OH - "The city of Cincinnati has hired three firms to design the Wasson Way bike trail along an all-but-abandoned railroad track that stretches from Xavier University through Cincinnati's east side." more...
Protected Bike Lane Appears, Then Disappears
Boston, MA - "For just a few moments Tuesday morning, cyclist Doug Johnson cruised down a portion of Beacon Street without worrying about a car door flying open in his path, or a bus or large truck encroaching on the designated bike lane." more...
The Road to Fear-Free Biking
Boston, MA - "...Pedaling through Copenhagen, I saw that safety is just the baseline benefit of world-class cycling infrastructure..." more
Americans Are Walking Again Because of a Video Game
"Hundreds of reporters - and all of your Facebook friends - are talking about Pokemon Go, the 'augmented reality' game that lures people to go outside and explore in search of virtual critters." more...
Vehicular Cycling is Finally Dying
"Take a ride on downtown L.A.'s first major protected bike lane and you're rolling over something more than asphalt and paint: the symbolic end to vehicular cycling, an idea that dominated American urban bicycle advocacy for nearly 40 years." more...
Stop Bashing E-Bikes
"...for some people, some cities and some commutes, they are a really useful alternative for getting people out of cars..." more...
Warning to Peds: Small SUVs Have Lousy Headlights
"How many times have we heard that pedestrians should 'do the bright thing' or 'Police say it was dark and the driver could not see the cyclist'..." more
- AZ: Woman dies after misstep at Grand Canyon
- VA: Roanoke Greenway attacker sentenced to 20 years in prison
- MN: Greenway information project falters
- UK: Our greenways guide is first in UK
- MT: Libby Looks to Improve Bicycle Trail Access
- RI: Council OKs 1.3-mile bike path project
- TX: Development opens hike, bike trails
- MT: New bicycle camp to open
- CA: Man accused of assault following road-rage incident
- KY: Artsy Bike Racks Installed in Downtown Covington
Eastside Greenway Plans Move Forward
Cleveland, OH - "A comprehensive plan to create a greener, more connected Cuyahoga County is moving into its next phase as planners seek public comment in the Northfield-Warrensville area." more...
Little Miami Trail Crack Sealing
Warren County, OH - "Crack sealing along the Little Miami Scenic Trail with hot tar will start on Tuesday, July 5, weather permitting, at the Warren-Greene County line (about trail mile 9 ) and proceed south to Morrow (mile 28)..." more
What RedBike Needs to do Next
Cincinnati, OH - "Red Bike, Greater Cincinnati's non-profit bike-sharing system that operates in Ohio and Kentucky, has experienced rapid ridership growth since it launched in September 2014..." more
Cool Parklets in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "...So what exactly is a parklet? It can be really anything that extends the sidewalk experience for pedestrians. It normally appears for a brief period of time in one or two parking spaces..." more
Caught on Camera
"Cyclists have long claimed America's roads are unsafe. Thanks to the likes of GoPro, now there's proof. Is it making a difference?" more...
Supervisor Expresses Reservations about Interstate Bike Route
WI - "...'There are no [road] shoulders,' he said. 'You're inviting disaster.'" more...
- GA: Athens area residents discuss fate of R.E.M. rail trestle
- MD: artists taking time out to spruce up parks
- NY: Mount Vernon discussing Fleetwood bridge to greenway
- WI: Collaboration key to bike trail project
- AK: Police Seeking Witnesses in Deaths along Bike Trail
- GA: Savannah moving forward with Truman bike path
- NE: Path to progress for bike fans
- FL: Daytona Beach riverside recreational trail to officially open Thursday
- MI: New life for bike trail will be celebrated
- WI: Milwaukee Bike-Share Teams Up With Housing Authority
- WA: Park(ing) Day 2016 will span two days
Google Testing Project in Ohio
Columbus, OH - "Sidewalk Labs, Google's secretive urban development division, plans to revitalize public transportation with subsidized ride-sharing and more efficient public parking, and it's starting in Ohio." more...
Piqua Power System Honored for Environmental Excellence
Piqua, OH - "...The new additions to the bike path included new pavement, benches and bike racks, and a concrete deck overlooking the Great Miami River." more...
Woman Killed by Hit-and-Run on Eastside
Columbus, OH - "...According to Columbus police, 21-year-old Amy Stewart was crossing the six-lane intersection at Brice Road when she was hit by a van or SUV. The driver stopped and got out after the crash to look at his vehicle, but quickly left the scene." more...
RedBike Annual Report 2015
Cincinnati, OH - "...With 50 stations in four cities and tow states, Red Bike is the fourth largest BCycle bike share system in the country." more...
The Ever-Expanding Dutch Bicycle
"...Almost 40 per cent of Dutch bikes have outgrown the standard size - and many are too big for standard cycling racks." more...
Commuting by Bike can Ease the Pain of SEPTApocalypse
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia among the most bicycle friendly cities in the nation, with hundreds of miles of trails and bike racks at train stations." more...
- NC: Man's body found on Raleigh greenway
- TN: New greenway artwork highlights area's biodiversity
- IRE: 500,000 boost for Longford Greenway
- MT: Bitterroot Trail celebration planned for next weekend
- CA: City's bike-share program needs help, says report
Plans Unveiled for New Pedestrian Bridge
Columbus, OH - "The City of Columbus has released renderings that show the most fleshed-out plans yet for streetscape improvements and a pedestrian bridge over the Olentangy River at the far western terminus of Nationwide Boulevard..." more
Bike Commutes on the Rise During Metro Track Work
D.C. - "With major Metro track work shutting down parts of the Blue and Yellow lines near Reagan National Airport this week, many commuters are considering biking..." more
Body Discovered Near Popular Riverdale Bike Trail
Riverdale, UT - "...The case was investigated as a suspicious death due to the location where he was found..." more
- GA: 'The Walking Dead' geocache trail coming
- CT: River walk plan starts with 'greenway' designation
- AZ: Scout project improves popular hiking, biking trail
Temporary Towpath Closure in Valley View
An Incremental Approach to Protected Intersections
"Protected cycling infrastructure is catching on across North America as cities become aware of the economic, health, social and spatial benefits of cycling..." more
Neighbors at Odds Over Greenway Pilot Project
Minneapolis, MN - "Five-block pilot route sparks arguments over safety, access, livability." more...
- CO: Remains that might be those of missing Cleveland hiker
- NC: Wake Forest expanding its greenway system
- AL: Anniston officials break ground on new segment of Chief Ladiga Trail
- MA: Forward spin on Yankee Doodle Bike Path project
- MI: Biking options still abound during White Pine Trail closures
- VT: New rail trail is already boosting the local economy
- OR: Safety advocates uneasy about striping bike lane across Steel Bridge onramp
Alum Creek Trail Paving
Columbus, OH - "Construction will begin Monday July 11th 2016 to resurface and improve the section of trail through Hayden Park between 5th Ave and Airport Dr."
See map for alternate route through July 22nd.
Yay Bikes! Newsletter
Columbus, OH - Read the July edition.
Cherry Creek Trail Drug Use
Denver, CO - "Images of people using heroin in broad daylight along the Cherry Creek bike trail disturbed Denver Mayor Michael Hancock." more...
Building a U.S. Bike Route Through Minnesota
MN - "Contribution to fledgling system puts focus on existing infrastructure - and what's lacking - on its proposed route." more...
East Coast Greenway now 31% Complete
"If you live along the East Coast of the United States, you may have noticed road signs that designate a particular stretch of road or path as part of the East Coast Greenway..." more
Robot Cars Recognize Cyclists' Hand Signals Better than most Cyclists
"Meet the only car that will let you take over the whole lane, bikers." more...
Could Bike Lanes Slow Climate Change?
"Scientists at McGill University connect increased bike infrastructure to decreased fuel emissions." more...
- VA: Greenway 'Attacker' pleads no contest
- IL: Forest District plans next piece of Veterans Memorial Trail
- PA: Woman says man exposed himself along Yough River Trail
- IL: Veterans Memorial Trail nears approval
- CA: Metro Bike Share Kicks-Off, System Open In Downtown L.A.
- FL: Uphill climb to integrate bicycles into public transportation system
- OR: New path north of Sellwood Bridge is open
Branches Placed on Newark Trail
Newark, OH - "I ride the bike trail between Cherry Valley road and Granville. 2 times this past week someone has placed large branches across the bike paths (mid way thru the cow section) I ride to work in the morning, so I am probably the first person to find out about these." more...
More Doodah Parade Fallout
Columbus, OH - "...many people are saying that one parade participant took it too far this year." more...
How Cleveland Heights Became a Bicycle Friendly Community
Cleveland Heights, OH - "In recent years Cleveland Heights has paved bicycle lanes on well-traveled roads, organized rides, added signs encouraging motorists to share the road with cyclists, installed more racks and helped complete a pedestrian and bike trail between Shaker Heights and University Circle." more...
Read their latest newsletter.
Safe Routes to School E-News
Read the July Newsletter.
Young Victim in Bike Path Killings had a Backstory Few Knew
AK - "Marcella Foisy says she knows almost nothing about why her daughter was on a bike path near downtown Anchorage on the morning she was killed..." more
- MI: New boardwalk dedicated at Millennium Park
- NJ: Eagle project connects Bloomfield greenway
- CT: Putnam opens new section of walking, biking trail
- MI: Cyclist falls off bike, punches teen on trail
- DC.: Picture a rail yard, but with bike lanes and parks on top
- ID: ACHD Votes 'No' to Bike Lanes
- TX: First green bike lane part of Pebble Hills extension project
- OR: Portland is finally closing the Naito Gap
- WA: State will close busy Fremont section of Burke-Gilman Trail
Bluffton Bike Path Project Proceeds
Bluffton, OH - "Work on the Augsburger bike path is scheduled to be completed by the end of October." more...
Shooting Victim Found Near Valley Bridle Trail
Brecksville, OH - "...Authorities say the woman was found near the Valley Bridle Trail north of Bolanz Road just before 9:30 a.m." more...
New MTB Trail Opens in Summit County
Nordia Hills, OH - "A new 1.12-mile loop is open at the Mountain Bike Area of Hampton Hills Metro Park, 2092 Theiss Road in Akron." more...
Doo Dah Parade Entry Offends Cyclists
Columbus, OH - "...The black sport utility vehicle had a bike affixed to the front of it and a pair of stuffed legs draped over the roof..." more
Naturally, advocates were/are offended by the entry.
Read our blog on this subject.
Pleasure Ride on Bike Trail Keeps Rolling
Van Wert, OH - "...Tom Gordon's Pleasure Ride was introduced for senior citizens who are unable to enjoy the Van Wert County Park District Hiking/Biking trail due to lack of mobility..." more
"...Today, we remember Annie Rooney, taken from us on the Fourth of July, what was supposed to be a celebration of our country, our freedoms." more...
- TN: Greenway project moves forward
- TN: Police say man exposed himself to woman at Murfreesboro greenway
- MI: Resurfaced Hart-Montague bike trail to be re-opened
- VA: State grant to help pay for bike path
- IA: Residents give resounding 'no' to new sidewalks
- OR: As bike share stations hit the streets, 550 annual memberships are sold
RTA Offering Full-Service Bike Repairs
Dayton, OH - "Greater Dayton RTA will now offer full-service bike repairs at its new Wright Stop Bike Shop downtown." more...
NYC 2016 Needs the Wide, Generous Sidewalks of 1906
NY - "The Times ran a feature on the pedestrian crush in New York City today, and as good as the photos are, they don't do the situation justice. To get a sense of just how inadequate the sidewalks are in Midtown, you need to go there - or failing that, watch this Streetfilm from 2009 with narration by Streetsblog publisher Mark Gorton." more...
Victim of Brutal Madison Bike Path Rape Moves out of State
WI - "...At the time, police said the assault was so vicious, they were calling it an attempted homicide..." more
Missouri, Kansas Pioneer Trail is Nearly Complete
"A hiking and biking trail through Missouri and Kansas will allow people to follow in the footsteps of pioneers in a few years." more...
Anatomy of a Protected Cycling Lane Network
"Calgary's pilot network of protected bike lanes is an excellent example of bicycle infrastructure done along the quicker, lighter and cost effective frame of mind." more...
- PA: Abandoned Knoxville Incline Faces New Future As Greenspace
- NY: New trail near the Outer Harbor is in the works
- CAN: Whistler locals launch mountain bike app
- MA: Boston's 'park & pedals' are park and rides for bikes
1st Bike Share Death in U.S.
Chicago, IL - "A 25-year-old woman riding a Divvy bike who died Friday morning following a crash involving a flatbed truck in Chicago's Avondale neighborhood is believed to be the first person killed while riding a bike-sharing bicycle in the United States." more...
Police Investigating 2 Deaths along Ship Creek Trail
AK - "A man and a woman were found dead on Ship Creek bike trail early Sunday morning, Anchorage police said." more...
Grizzly that has Charged at People Attacks Again
AK - "...Officials say the juvenile grizzly bear attacked a 28-year-old woman about 7 p.m. Friday while she was hiking on the Savage Alpine Trail in Denali National Park." more...
- MN: Putting Austin on the biking map
- IA: North Iowa fatality raises questions about driving penalties
- WA: Seattle is moving closer to filling in the missing link on the Burke-Gilman Trai
Buck Creek Trail Section Collapsing from Erosion
Springfield, OH - "...The bike trail was built in the late 1990s, Heck said. The speed of the current from the creek is undermining the retaining wall of the bike trail, causing it to collapse." more...
- AZ: Phoenix bans dogs from trails during blazing heat
- WA: Cowlitz County to pursue a 22-mile bike trail at abandoned rail line
- PA: Man robbed at gunpoint along bike trail
- IRE: Mountain bike trail sabotage could have killed, organisers say
- NY: Grand Island supervisor uses video to persuade on proposed bike path
- WI: Rails to trails proposal gathering steam across Racine County
- CT: Rails to trails proposal gathering steam across Racine County
Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse
"...When I was growing up, we were taught basic life tenets in public school. One of those tenets was: 'ignorance of the law is no excuse.' Fast forward to today and we find that ignorance of the law by law officers is not that uncommon. What's their excuse?" more...
Pedestrians Given Priority in Public Square
Cleveland, OH - "...The square has been transformed as an expansive pedestrian mall - a space that includes a road but invites people to linger, lie down, lunch, play and make connections in equal measure." more...
Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Gets New Mile Markers
Athens, OH - "...Over a two-day period, volunteers worked in teams to stencil mile markers throughout the entire bike path in an effort to improve it for first time users, and promote healthy living." more...
Cyclists Cross Susquehanna River
MD - "...on Friday morning, Rappoport, 66, became one of the first five cyclists to cross the 7,600-foot steel-truss span. The state of Maryland opened the bridge to bicyclists for the first time at 9 a.m." more...
Man Fatally Shot on the St. Louis Riverfront Trail
MO - "...Police said it appeared that the people in the van were just enjoying the view along the river." more...
E-bikes Challenge Regulators and Traditional Trail Users
WY - "...The e-bike riders Metten met on Munger Mountain were friendly. When asked if they were on motorized bikes, they said no, they were on e-bikes." more...
New Program for Bike-Firendly U.S. Cities
"...Everyone agrees that connected, high-comfort bikeway networks can make bicycling an ordinary part of life for many more people. But U.S. cities have a very difficult time connecting them..." more
- GA: Graffiti vandal hits Greenway park
- TN: MJ to receive over $1 million in greenway grants
- CO: Goal is to make Colorado top trails state
- CAN: Toronto slowly improving its bicycle network
- MA: New milestones for Mansfield bike path
- WA: Snoqualmie Valley Trail section closes; Green River Trail reopens
Aiming to Bring a Trail to the Riverfront
Steubenville, OH - "...Officials hope the trail will join with the West Virginia trail system already in place in neighboring counties." more...
Is Cleveland the new Portland?
Cleveland, OH - "...a Cleveland barista named Robert Stockham tells the magazine: 'People ask me why I left Portland, and I tell them that Cleveland now is very similar to what Portland was 15 years ago.'" more...
Report a Surface Hazard in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "With more and more bike specific infrastructure coming online in Cleveland, we want to make sure the facilities currently in place are maintained properly. The best bike facility in the world is useless if it's full of glass..." more
The Legal Policy That Makes Collisions Harrowing for Cyclists
"In four states and the District of Columbia, the contributory negligence standard bars most injured bikers from compensation." more...
Pedestrians Are Taking to the Streets in NYC
NYC - "Ivette Singh hardly bothers to walk on the sidewalk on her way to work in Midtown Manhattan anymore. Too many people, too little space. Not enough patience." more...
Families Flock to London's Cycle Superhighways
UK - "...The children absolutely loved the freedom of the cycle tracks and not having to be shouted instructions at every few minutes - in contrast to the un-protected routes we took to get there..." more
Could Intercity Cycle Highways Revolutionise the Daily Commute?
"In 2010, when the motorway between the German cities of Duisburg and Dortmund was closed as part of a cultural project, three million people walked, skated or cycled along the road..." more
- MT: Wildlife officials hunt for bear that killed mountain-biker
- NC: Greenway stripes have safety purpose
- OK: YMCA day campers measure Norman's pedestrian appeal
- MN: You can now experience the Mesabi Trail like never before
- WA: SDOT Director Kubly admits to Pronto ethics violations
- TX: Veterans, supporters and officials attend Hometown Heroes Trail ceremony
Warrior Trail nears Completion in Ohio City
Van Wert County, OH - "...Though the full 10-mile trail will not be fully completed for awhile, the first phase of the project will be done in just a few weeks." more...
Midway Plan Wins Conceptual Approval
Cleveland, OH - "The Cleveland Planning Commission kicked off a series of public meetings on the feasibility of the Midway, a dream hatched three years ago by a pair of 'avid cyclists' who proposed a network of protected bike lanes surrounded by green space that would run right down the middle of the road." more...
Locked Bollards Create Problems for 1st Responders
IL - "A Wheaton family had some scary moments on a DuPage County bike trail earlier this month when their son had a medical emergency and first responders couldn't get to them." more...
Grizzly Kills Mountain Biker
MT - "A grizzly bear attacked two men Wednesday as they rode mountain bikes on a trail near Glacier National Park, killing one of the men, reports say." more...
Bear Attack Victim Seeks Mercy for Wildlife
NM - "A black bear protecting her cubs attacked Karen Williams during a marathon." more...
- AR: Unique Partnership Makes Syllamo Bike Trail Sight to See
- D.C.: We're getting closer to having bike trail from DC to Baltimore
- CT: Concerns persist over Ninigret Park bike path
- MI: Bike trail renovation nears completion
- NYC: New Riverside Park Master Plan May Send Greenway Cyclists on Hilly Detours
Residents Offer Input on Veterans Trail
Hudson, OH - "Some residents were excited to have a trail in front of their homes that would allow them to walk to downtown Hudson while others were concerned how much of their property would be impacted by the 10-foot wide asphalt hike and bike trail." more...
Caesar Creek Storm Damaged Trails, Building
Waynesville, OH - "Last week's storms - which included two tornadoes that touched down four times in the region - also tore through Caesar Creek State Park, toppling 12 trees..." more
Trail Advocates Applaud Higher Priority in Regional Transportation Plan
Cincinnati, OH - "For the first time in recent history, bicyclists and pedestrians have become a priority in the Greater Cincinnati region's transportation policy, the organization Tri-State Trails said in a news release." more...
Mapping our Urban Heat Island, by Bike
Columbus, OH - "...We are looking for 5-6 bike commuters who are willing and able to attach a device to the front of their bikes for a week or two to collect data during their normal commutes." more...
114-Year-Old Former Railroad Span to be Demolished
Toledo, OH - "...engineering studies have determined the rusting, 114-year-old hulk to be so unsound that it can't be renovated for use as part of a bicycle and pedestrian trail along abandoned sections of that railroad." more...
East Coast Greenway Progress
"...The East Coast Greenway Alliance has been working since 1991 to connect the whole geography of the Atlantic seaboard with protected bike paths. So far, 850 miles of trail have been designated as Greenway. The project is about 31 percent complete..." more
Outrage Over Bicycling Deaths is Not Enough
San Francisco, CA - "The deaths of Heather Miller and Kate Slattery, two more people killed riding on San Francisco's dangerous streets, has left the entire safe-streets community rattled and heart broken. Cycling advocates took San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee and SFMTA head Ed Reiskin to task for a tone-deaf press conference held Thursday about the carnage..." more
- TN: Alton Park greenway connector divides Chattanooga City Council
- IN: HEC official says eminent domain not planned for 17-mile trail
- NJ: Vernon greenway takes step forward
- TX: New Project Closes Gaps In Houston's Bike Trail System
- GA: Plans for future RiverLink Bike Trail
- D.C.: Waterfront Eyed for Bike Upgrades
- D.C.: DC Council postpones fixing an injustice to pedestrians and cyclists
- LA: Bike lane battles raging in Lafayette
- OR: Repaving on E Burnside brings newly buffered bike lanes
- WA: Family's surveillance camera captures bike thief in the act
Bike & Hike Trail Section Closing
Boston Heights, OH - "A 1/3-mile section of the Bike & Hike Trail, between Route 8 and Route 303 in Boston Heights, will be closed beginning July 5. The closure is expected to be in effect up to 30 days...." more
Protected Bike Blvd Planning Begins
Cleveland, OH - "The city's planning department on Wednesday will kick off three meetings to start examining whether it's possible to redesign at least one existing city street with a two-way bike path running down the center, separated from traffic." more...
Naches Trail Could Soon Link to Yakima Greenway
WA - "If all goes as planned, the Naches trail could finally link to the Yakima Greenway, allowing bicyclists and walkers to travel from Union Gap to Naches." more...
Insurers Try Scare Tactics to Avoid Paying Victims of Reckless Driving
D.C. - "If a driver strikes you while you're walking or biking in D.C., there's a good chance you won't be allowed to sue for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering under the law." more...
How Small Businesses are Learning to Love Bike Lanes
CAN - "Outside Alforno Bakery & Cafe, the newest addition to Teatro Group's seven Calgary restaurants, there's a bright yellow compressor hose and accompanying 'free air' sign, ample parking for bicycles, and a sticker on the front window in support of the cycle track network." more...
How to Counter the Victim-Blaming
"When a driver strikes someone walking or biking, the tendency to blame the victim runs deep. Ask Raquel Nelson, who lost her young son to a hit-and-run driver, then got convicted for vehicular homicide, even though she was just trying to walk across the street with her children from a bus stop to her home..." more
- IN: Residents raise Greenway concerns at Daleville meeting
- TN: Chattanooga City Council eyes Alton Park greenway
- NC: Work starts anew on greenway segment
- IN: More signs will point the way to bike trails
- LA: Battle surges over West Bayou bike lanes
- PA: Ex-Pittsburgh Steeler to be arrested for graffiti project
- WA: SPD investigating vandalism to Seattle bike share program
Hamilton Considers Developing Urban Trail
Hamilton, OH - "The City of Hamilton is looking at the possibility of acquiring approximately 36.5 acres of land from CSX Corporation following its filing for abandonment of the former freight railroad..." more
Hemlock Trail Preview Hike
Parma, OH - "...The trail will be the largest connection to the Towpath Trail along Canal Road and is part of the Greenway Master Plan..." more
Temporary Greenway Draws Praise & Protest
Minneapolis, MN - "...The test path has been in place for a month and some residents absolutely love it." more...
Battle Ahead for Iconic MTB Park Land
CAN - "Parks Canada is preparing to go to the public with plans for a $66-million, 107-kilometre bike trail adjacent to the Jasper-Banff highway - one of the country's most scenic drives." more...
- VA: Bike Works seeing sales increase from new Fredericksburg trail system
- MN: Touring trail group to stop in Austin to offer assistance
- AR: Regional leaders seek transportation inspiration in Demark
NACTO Advocates for Self-Driving Vehicles
"...Here's what she [Sadik-Khan] said about self-driving cars: 'Autonomous vehicles offer a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to reset our streets and address the fundamental issues of traffic safety, congestion, and mobility as our cities grow ever larger.'" more...
Advocates Envision Multiuse Trail Where Wagons Rolled
MO - "...We're hoping that it's going to be a combination bike-pedestrian trail, very similar to the Katy..." more
Legendary Bike-Pedaling Times Fashion Photographer Dies at 87
NYC - "...he was an easy one to spot, riding his bicycle through Midtown, where he did most of his field work..." more
- PA: Future clouded for town helped by bike trail
- NE: South Sioux City celebrates completion of Missing Link Trail
- VA: Community Day to celebrate opening of Pollocks Branch Greenway Trail
- TX: City celebrates completion of Belden Connect
- FL: Bike path is an idea whose time has come
Judge Rules to Keep Utility Trucks Off Bike Path
Mentor, OH - "A natural gas company is no longer allowed to use a former horse and carriage lane that has been converted into a bike/hiking path to access a Mentor gas well." more...
Section of Ohio 725 Near Mall Targeted for Change
Dayton, OH - "Improving pedestrian and cycling access will be the focus of a study centering on a busy section of Ohio 725 that runs under an interstate and links Miamisburg, Miami Twp., and the Dayton Mall." more...
Yay Bikes! June Activity Report
Columbus, OH - View the report.
Massillon's Streetscape Plan is Coming Along Slowly
Massillon, OH - "Making downtown an inviting, thriving destination spot for visitors is the goal of a planned streetscape effort." more...
Officials Puzzle over Recurring Bike in Tree
ID - " Officials in northern Idaho are stumped by how and why a bicycle keeps ending up 60 feet into the same tree." more...
Columnist Tweets Out History's Dumbest Anti-Bike Rant
"... In response to the death of Amanda Phillips, 27, who was struck and killed by a truck driver earlier this week, Jacoby went straight to the old bike ban argument..." more
- CA: Forest Service uneasy about new mural
- IA: Police ID bicyclist killed on Clive trail as British man
- DE: Rehoboth Beach posts bike trail information signs
- IL: State budget woes jam spoke in wheel of Lincolnwood bike paths
- UK: Brexit complicates things for Brompton Bicycles
CAMBA Patrolling CVNP trail
CVNP, OH - "Cuyahoga Valley National Park (CVNP), the Conservancy for Cuyahoga Valley National Park and the Cleveland Area Mountain Bike Association (CAMBA) have partnered to enhance the safety, security and riding experience at the CVNP's first off-road mountain bike trail - East Rim..." more
Child Struck by Car
Granville, OH - "A 12-year-old boy is recovering after being struck by a vehicle while riding his bicycle Tuesday afternoon in Granville." more...
Gardens Must Be Uprooted for Bike Trail
Wyoming, OH - "...The community gardens, which comprise 38 plots on about an acre of land along the Mill Creek and North Park Avenue, would have to be filled in to grade the land for the project..." more
Indian Hill Considers Single File Law for Cyclists
Indian Hill, OH - "...We are in the early stages of researching a possible change in our bike law..." more
Mountain Bike Skills Course Opens at Huffman Park
Medina, OH - "The city is fast becoming a destination of choice for mountain bike enthusiasts..." more
Little Miami Trail Newsletter
Read the June edition.
Bicyclist Dies Along Clive Trail
IA - "...Police said the man was found 20-30 feet down the creek bank, partially submerged, and still had his bike helmet on..." more
3 Cycling Fatalities in Bay Area
San Francisco, CA - "Officials are investigating after three separate fatal bicycle accidents occurred in the Bay Area in the past 24 hours." more...
Two of these incidents were hit-n-runs. Read more....
Bike Winnipeg Opposes Garry Street Cycle-Path Plan
CAN - "Bike Winnipeg has some ideas to share with consultants who think a two-way bike lane on Garry Street is the best option for a cycle route through downtown." more...
Should Your Driverless Car Hit a Pedestrian to Save Your Life?
"The issue of robotic morality has become a serious question for researchers working on autonomous vehicles who must, in essence, program moral decisions into a machine." more...
Will Robocars Kick Humans Off City Streets?
"Self-driving cars could encourage policies that end public access to America's roads." more...
Vehicular Cycling is Dead, Just Don't Bury the Body Yet
"The biggest argument in urban cycling of the last 20 years is pretty much settled. So why are we still arguing about it?" more...
- CA: Firefighters Hoist Injured Hiker to Safety from Cleveland National Forest
- GA: City's main recreation paths will be linked
- MN: Temporary greenway tests out a possible future for north Minneapolis
- ID: Greenway Foundation celebrates trail expansion
- ID: New stretch of Portneuf Greenway
- MS: Sowashee Creek walking/bike trail to be built in Meridian
- IL: Piper Glen Bike Path Extension Opens
- D.C.: How Different Riders Use Capital Bikeshare
- OR: Portland police will exchange a U-lock for your cable lock on Sunday
- WA: Downtown streetcar plans would make 1st Ave, Stewart more dangerous for biking
Moonville Trail Projects Underway
Moonville, OH - "...The new signs are just one part of an ongoing Moonville-area improvement effort, which will feature a brand-new bridge spanning Raccoon Creek to help visitors reach the tunnel..." more
Franklin Considers New Park Amenities, Expansion
Franklin, OH - "Franklin's Community Park could see some major improvements over the next few years as expansion plans are being discussed for the newly purchased land west of Ohio 123." more...
What's Missing in Cleveland Opportunity Corridor Planning?
Milwaukee, WI - "...Because the project is nearly fully funded by Ohio through bonds backed by turnpike tolls, with strong support from Ohio Gov. John Kasich, the Opportunity Corridor boulevard will be finished by 2020, whether the city is prepared or not." more...
Suspect in Fatal Kalamazoo Bike Crash Drove While High
Kalamazoo, MI - "The man accused of hitting nine bicyclists with his truck, killing five people, faces new charges..." more
Greenway Cuts Coming, Charlie Baker Says
Boston, MA - "Gov. Charlie Baker said he is committed to eventually cutting off taxpayer funds to the controversial nonprofit that manages the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway..." more
- CT: Construction of Naugatuck River Greenway celebrated
- WI: Sturtevant board endorses Rails to Trails concept
- D.C.: The best bike routes to get to work
- SC: Cyclists pack city council meeting in support of bike lane
- AZ: Bike Share is coming to Tucson
- OR: Multnomah County's drop in auto ownership
- WA: Missing Link confirms: Build the trail already!
- MI: Shinola Teams Up With Feed to Provide Meals to Detroit Families
Columbus Awarded $50M in Smart City Grants
Columbus, OH - "Columbus will be the U.S. Department of Transportation's Smart City." more...
Ohio Highway Patrol Officer Harrasses Cyclist
Riverscape Construction Brings Trail Closing
Dayton, OH - "...While construction is underway, parts of the Great Miami Trail along the riverfront will be closed. The closures will continue during the city of Dayton's Lights in Flight Fireworks Show and Festival on July 3. Snow fencing will mark the parts of the trail that will be closed." more...
Bike Trail Vandalism Subsides
Madison County, OH - "The vandalism on the bike trail has come to an end, but leaders are still hoping to make some security improvements." more...
How Much RedBike Use in NKY?
KY - "...It's clear that folks in Northern Kentucky were excited about Red Bike and they were looking forward to being connected to each other and to downtown (Cincinnati) and to Over-the-Rhine..." more
Street Life Tough on Downtown Trees; 30% Dead
Toledo, OH - "Downtown Toledo is apparently unsafe for trees." more...
Minneapolis tries to Topple Portland as Most Cycle-Friendly U.S. City
"The Twin City's ambitious new bike plan includes 144 miles of protected lanes and a doubling of cycle numbers by 2020..." more
Spectacular Art on Greenway Came with Eye-Popping Price Tag
Boston, MA - "...It was originally budgeted for $500,000. Instead, the final bill came in at $1.7 million, and that didn't include the amount the artist, Janet Echelman, received from private donors for her design work." more...
Mapping Tool Helps Disabled City Dwellers
"After MS left him unable to walk, Jason DaSilva developed AXS Map to help those like him navigate urban environments." more...
The Myths That Lead to Required Licenses for Cyclists
"When mandatory licenses for cyclists get discussed in state and local legislatures, a lot of misinformation can get thrown around." more...
- NE: City Council OK's Trail at Lake Esther
- IL: Manor Greenway Could Become City's Best
- GA: Columbia County hopes to finish 22-mile greenway in 5 to 7 years
- TN: $2.2M Greenway Along Old Rail Line
- NC: Corolla Greenway opens
- WI: Peace Trail connecting Janesville to Beloit is 70 percent complete
- TX: New trail segment, bridge to open July 12
- NY: Grand Island Supervisor wants to convert 6-mile parkway to trail
- MA: Boston speed limit bill spurs debate
- CO: Denver's bike lane expansion plan: underfunded and behind
- CA: San Diego Council OKs Adding 9 Miles Of Bike Lanes Downtown
- TX: Houston bike plan finalized, now council approval sought
- OR: BikePortland journalism scores 2 awards
- CO: Arrest Warrant Issued In Murder Of Mountain Biking Pioneer
Great Miami River Trail Section Closing
Dayton, OH - "The Great Miami River Trail will be closed between the Fishburg Road parking lot and Little York Road beginning Wednesday, June 22 through Wednesday, June 29. The trail will be marked with closure signs and trail users will be able to detour onto Rip Rap Road between the Fishburg Road lot and the parking lot for Rip Rap Park.
Bike Cleveland E-News
Cleveland, OH - "Read the latest edition.
The Social Benefits of Open Streets Events
"...As open streets events, modeled after Bogota's Ciclovia, have spread across the U.S. in the past several years, they've brought not just opportunities for physical activity, but a joyful new way to use streets as public spaces." more...
- OR: Man accused of groping woman on greenway apologizes in court
- TX: Volunteers needed to restore Spring Creek Greenway trails
- PA: South Whitehall obtains key piece of land for 14-mile trail system
- GA: Georgia Tech Pushes Forward with Major Midtown Bike Trail
- PA: Bellefonte supports grant request for bike trail feasibility study
- IL: Galesburg council proceeds with bike path
OU Engineering Seniors Design Custom Tricycle
Athens, OH - "For many children, learning to ride a bike is an important rite of passage..." more
10 Years of Streetsblog and Streetfilms
"Ten years ago [on June 16], Aaron Naparstek hit 'publish' on the first official Streetsblog post." more...
Woman Dies During Mountain Bike Ride
Phoenix, AZ - "...This woman had been out in the heat for several hours, but she took all the right steps to avoid getting sick and the heat still proved to be too much for her." more...
10 Smartphone Apps That Improve Your Ride
"Ride faster, sleep better, train smarter, and have more fun on the bike with these great cycling apps." more...
- PA: Hazelwood Greenway plan consultant sought
- WI: Trek working on prairie restoration for employee biking trails
- TN: Knoxville opens Devilâ€™s Racetrack Bike Trail
- CA: Utility lines delay new Vine Trail segment opening
- CAN: Could King Street one day be closed to cars?
- WA: New evidence shows Spokane sheriff's deputy hit teenage bicyclist in 2014
Architecture Can Make A City More Bike-Friendly
Atlanta, GA - "When Atlanta finally kicked off its bike share program last week, city officials boasted of the new infrastructure in place for cyclists, like buffered bikes lanes." more
Riders Attempt to set Guinness World Record
Fountain Valley, CA - "More than 300 riders on Saturday attempted to establish a Guinness World Record for the largest parade of electric bike riders." more...
- NY: County plans more improvements to hike and bike trail
- NE: City working on bike trail
- IN: Pumpkinvine Bike Ride raises money to close gap in trail
- WA: Groups look to expand mountain biking opportunities
- CAN: Missing Alberta hiker found at campground
New Ohio Bike Law Aims to Improve Road Safety
OH - "Ohio hopes to join the 37 states and the District of Columbia that have a mandatory minimum of three feet of separation between motor vehicles and bicycles when passing." more...
Mowing Along Great Miami River Trail
Dayton, OH - "Five Rivers MetroParks will be clearing heavy brush and reach arm mowing on the Great Miami River Trail from Fishburg Road south starting Monday, June 20, 2016 from 9 am to 3 pm daily."
Spraying Along Iron Horse Trail
Teen Found near Hiking Trail Died of Natural Causes
Jackson, WY - "...Kayden Quinn Tapia's body was found by passers-by on the Snake River dike Tuesday morning." more...
Tourist Fined for Collecting Thermal Water at Yellowstone National Park
WY - "Park rangers issued a $1,000 fine to a tourist visiting Yellowstone National Park after he walked off a boardwalk and collected thermal water from Mammoth Hot Springs, park officials said." more...
- IL: How the Wood Street Greenway Could Better Prioritize Bicycling
- NY: Funding shortfall stops expansion of Greenway
- IL: Montrose-Lawrence Connector Planned For River Bike Path
- TN: Knoxville celebrates gravity bike trail opening
- VA: Valley biking group improving trails for safety and fun
- FL: Tampa's First Protected Bike lane
CVSR adds Bike Aboard! Train on Saturdays
Akron, OH - "...The train will be for Bike Aboard! or Hike Aboard passengers only and will depart at 11:30 a.m. and 3:15 p.m. from Akron Northside station..." more
New Downtown Bike Lanes: A Rider's Perspective
Columbus, OH - "...I was a bit surprised to read that, according to Dispatch Reporter Rick Rouan, the bike lanes are troublesome for car drivers..." more
Bug Your Bike
Columbus, OH - "Increase the chance your bicycle will be returned if lost or stolen by registering your property with the City of Columbus." more...
Local Parks 1st in Ohio to be Mapped for Google Maps
Dayton, OH - "Volunteers and Five River Metroparks staffers are taking images using a 15-camera, 49-pound device of local hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, water and paved trails for Google Maps." more...
Towpath Riders Don't Like to Signal When Passing
Peninsula, OH - "...As I walked I was passed by over a dozen bicyclists, only two of whom had the courtesy to warn me of their presence while traveling at a brisk and silent pace..." more
Cyclists Shouldn't Have To Risk Their Lives Just To Use The Road
"Last week's horrific crash involving a pickup truck driver who mowed down nine cyclists, killing five of them, shows that many rural roads fail to account for bicycle safety, advocates said." more...
States and Cities Rethink Their Approach to Transportation
"...In 2015, Atlanta got its first chief bike officer..." more
The Problem with Electric Mountain Bikes
"There's been a lot of vitriol thrown at electric-assist mountain bikes..." more
- CA: Big plans for Three Sisters Falls trail in forest
- NC: Construction Underway on New Greenway Path by Wake Forest
- NE: Dead fish found along hike and bike trail near Sothman Park
- MI: New Bike Trail In Chelsea Has Grand Opening
- CAN: Trail prevails over bike lanes
- WA: Neighbors march for a safer NE 65th Street
- AZ: Angry girlfriend runs down boyfriend on bicycle
- TN: Memphis Hightailers: Bicycle club of the year
New Bike Lanes Causing Confusion, Delays
Columbus, OH - "...City officials, bicycle advocates and even drivers agree that traffic problems with the new bike lanes on 3rd and 4th streets through Downtown will improve with time and familiarity." more...
Grant Helps with Potential Bike Path Spur
Athens County, OH - "Athens County has been awarded a grant to buy property that could be used for a bike path spur to Chauncey." more...
Water Taxi up and Running in the Flats
Cleveland, OH - "...The main purpose of the water taxi is to connect our trail system, but people are using it as a connector to get across the river." more...
Teens Arrested after Bike Trail Stabbing Incident
Fairfield, CA - "Three suspects were arrested in connection with a stabbing on a bike trail in Fairfield on Tuesday." more...
East Coast Greenway Overview & Update
"The East Coast Greenway Alliance is developing a greenway from Maine to Florida, closing gaps in the system and converting previously unsafe routes into an accessible linear park for people of all ages and abilities to enjoy..." more...
Little Yellow Bike Button Making a Difference
"...The yellow handlebar buttons, called "Flic" buttons, combine the best of so many things needed to advocate for safer bicycling streets..." more
- NH: 4 hikers rescued off Madison Gulf Trail
- AL: Board of Education grants easement for city greenway project
- MT: Bike trail advocates seek final links east of Missoula
- OK: Oklahoma City working on ways to make streets safe
- D.C.: Record Ridership on Capital Bikeshare
- OR: Bike share snafu that made first 400 members' names public
Cincy Business District Supports Liberty St. Road Diet
Cincinnati, OH - "So far, neighborhood residents have been quite consistent in their support for reducing Liberty Street's width..." more
Bill Gordon Memorial
Columbus, OH - "On Saturday June 11th Bill Gordon suffered a massive heart attack and died during a ride with his friends..." more
Off Duty Cop Pulls Gun on Cyclists
NYC - "An off-duty sergeant was videotaped Monday pulling a gun on a bike messenger during a tense standoff over an apparent near-miss crash in the West Village that ended with the cyclist under arrest." more...
Man sues Police over K-9 Takedown
Punta Gorda, FL - "A man is suing the city after his attorney says he was nearly killed by a police dog in a traffic stop over a bicycle." more...
Read the latest edition.
Performance Bicycle Raises over $17K for Rails-to-Trails
Chapel Hill, NC - "Leading cycling retailer matches donations for nation's largest trails organization." more...
Lessons from London's failing 'Quietways' Cycle Scheme
UK - "The troubled trajectory of the capital's backstreet bike routes has repercussions for cycling policy across the country." more...
- GA: Columbus City Council discusses $2.4M bike trail
- SD: Construction firm owner dies on Skyline Wilderness Trail
- VA: Project Expanding South River Greenway in Waynesboro
- NC: Conover opens 1.5-mile section of greenway
- KS: Stakes are high with Big Ditch bike trail
- SD: Community celebrates new bike trail
- NY: Can bikers, hikers share Blauvelt park?
- NY: Sheriff's Office starts bike patrols of Canalway Trail
- TX: Belton on a path toward more hike and bike trails
- PA: Cycling Advocates Call for Protected Bike Lane Installation
- SC: Ashley River bike lane does not substantially slow traffic
- VA: Car-filled bike lane photo sparks cyclist anger
- OR: One of the best bike-share areas on the continent?
- OR: Clean up work will delay west-side Willamette River path opening
Safe Routes in North Ridgeville
North Ridgeville, OH - "Efforts to encourage students to walk and bike to school on safe pathways is at the top of the list in North Ridgeville this summer." more...
Pedestrian Struck, Flown to Columbus Hospital
Newark, OH - "...Licking Township firefighter Jon Paul Letki said an adult female was struck in what officials think was a hit-and-run incident." more...
New App Puts Key to Green Spaces in Your Pocket
NE OH - "A new learning app designed by three local nature-loving entities is offering a deeper perspective on Northeast Ohio's robust parks systems." more...
Read the latest edition.
Driver in Kalamazoo Crash to Face Murder Charges
MI - "...the Michigan legislature is fast-tracking a bill that would intensify penalties against drivers who injure and kill cyclists." more...
Related story: ''NTSB studying Kalamazoo bike crash'.
Suing for Sidewalks
"...A generation after the Americans with Disabilities Act, cities across the United States are still broadly inaccessible to many who live in them..." more
- TN: Wolf River Greenway to grow with segment in Raleigh area
- SC: Anderson greenway to cost more than planned
- LA: Citizens, politicians gather to promote safety on Lafitte Greenway
- TN: High gravity bike trail set for grand opening
- CA: New bike trails to link Fresno and Clovis trails
- D.C.: How Cyclists Are Making the Most of Metro's Service Cuts
- MN: Deep divisions over the future of St. Paul
- WA: A chat with state active transportation coordinator Diane Wiatr
- OR: Portland Bike Share selling memberships at $12/month
- WA: Road diet has cut Rainier crashes
- IN: Young boy repairing used bikes for other kids in community
$109M Capital Acceleration Plan Ignores Adopted Bike Policy
Cincinnati, OH - "...City Hall, however, has fallen woefully behind on the implementation of the recommendations made in the Bicycle Transportation Plan; and the current administration has even made a point of noting that they do not generally support the idea of on-street bike facilities..." more
Vision Zero Is About Road Design
"...But the reason Vision Zero was successful in Sweden, where it was developed, is that it focuses on the road design..." more
- CA: Girl, 15, rescued after going missing in Cleveland National Forest
- PA: Community Trail's popularity ushers in bike racks
- CT: Powder Ridge to debut mountain bike trails
$300K Upgrade Coming to Xenia Park
Xenia, OH - "The City of Xenia is planning to add over $300,000 in upgrades to Sol Arnovitz Park on Towler Road to make it a regional destination, according to city officials." more...
Michigan Bike Crash Highlights Dangers
MI - "...Bicycle safety is again in the spotlight after five people were killed and four others were injured Tuesday near Kalamazoo, Michigan, after being hit by a driver who had reportedly been driving erratically..." more
Your Ride of Silence Didn't Change Anything
"...You ride, psychopath or inattentive schmo kills you, police shrug, and the moral of the story is that it sucks to be you, dead dude. You should have played golf." more...
Bronx Cyclist Killed by Hit-and-Hun Driver
NYC - "She knew her boyfriend was only a minute away from her apartment, so when he didn't show up, she went looking for him." more...
Camarillo Woman Distracted by Phone Kills 2 Cyclists
CA - "Two grieving widows who lost their husbands in what the California Highway Patrol called a distracted driving crash were shocked to find out the driver accused of killing them was charged with misdemeanor manslaughter." more...
BMX on a Pronto with Steven Bafus
Seattle, WA - "To most users, Pronto bikes are just a convenient way to cruise from point A to point B." more...
- WA: Thurston County Bike Trail System Connects Our Community
- TN: New Track Trail opens on Chilhowee Mountain
- OR: New path from Sellwood Bridge to Willamette Park opens Tuesday
- OR: Bike Thief Lassoed by Bystander on Horseback
- NYC: Citi Bike hasn't had any fatalities in more than 3 years
- NYC: Why language matters when talking about bike and car crashes
Cyclist Struck by Car, Critically Injured
Columbia Twp., OH - "...Rodney Harms, 64, of Valley City, was traveling south on state Route 252 shortly before 7:30 p.m. when an Oldsmobile sedan driven by Bradley Denington, 20, of Spencer, struck him just south of Squire Road, according to the Ohio Highway Patrol." more...
Cleveland Heights Getting Buffered Bike Lanes
Cleveland Heights, OH - "More than a mile of buffered bike lanes along North Park Boulevard will now be buffered for additional safety." more...
Pickaway Trail Gets Kiosks
Circleville, OH - "...The kiosks were recently completed by 17-year old Nicholas Hixon, who designed and built the structures for his Eagle Scout project." more...
NOACA Poised to Approve Vital Grant for Irishtown Bend
Cleveland, OH - "The board of the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency, aka NOACA, is likely to approve an $80,000 grant at its Friday meeting to fund a critically important project to plan trails, a park and new bulkheads on the Irishtown Bend hillside along the Cuyahoga River." more...
Safe Riding at MOMBA
Dayton, OH - "...But before you hit the trails, FOX 45 Anchor Deborah Linz says there are some important things you need to do to keep yourself and your family safe." more...
Strava Data Could Be Used to Ban Cyclists from Trails
"California cities are using speed and GPS info to bolster anti-cyclist measures. Here's what you can do to keep your local trails open to MTB." more...
Death in Boiling Hot Spring Shows Challenges Rangers Face
Billings, MT - "The death of a tourist who left a boardwalk and fell into a boiling, acidic spring in Yellowstone National Park shows the challenges that rangers face as they confront soaring numbers of visitors - including some who break the rules." more...
- UT: New trails director highlights benefits of urban trails
- CA: Proposal to Build Trail System to 3 Sisters Falls, Eagle Peak
- MO: Boone Bridge pedestrian and bike path now open
- IL: Bartlett 6th grader recognized for 'blazing a trail'
- WA: New bridges open access to 23-mile-long Willapa Hills Trail
- TX: Bike rental business for visitors to Rose Rudman Recreational Trail
- IA: New destination signs to help mark Cedar Valley trails
- S. Africa: Scenic, internationally-ranked trail set to open in KZN
- OR: Coming soon: A new protected bike lane on 2nd Ave
- PA: Tinicum breaks ground on $1.8 million portion of the East Coast Greenway Trail
Metro Parks Cuts the Ribbon for its 1st MTB Trail
Summit County, OH - "...Today's ribbon-cutting marked the opening of the 3-mile Hampton Hills trail..." more
Mountain Bike Rider Injured at Huffman MetroPark
Fairborn, OH - "A mountain bike rider, injured on the MoMBA trail at Huffman MetroPark, walked out under his own steam after a medic unit had been called for him." more...
Little Miami Trail Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Towpath part of Bridge Sustainability Efforts
Cleveland, OH - "How does road & bridge construction become a sustainable process?..." more
Fallen Cyclists Honored
Cooper Twp., MI - "...Stunned biking enthusiasts joined relatives and friends of the riders Wednesday in mourning them, leaving flowers, a commemorative 'ghost bike' and a small wooden cross at the crash scene and gathering by the hundreds for a 5-mile 'silent ride.'" more...
Reading another post regarding this tragedy.
Cities Need to Be Anti-Car to Be Pro-Bike
"A new book on how some European cities have high cycle usage, and others do not, has been published in the Netherlands..." more
No One Would Design an Urban Roadway Like This Today
Albuquerque, NM - "On Friday, the Albuquerque Journal ran a front page story 'New Mexico is No. 1 in pedestrian deaths.' Sadly, the Journal seemed to swallow the standard line that this is due to drunkenness and jaywalking..." more
- TX: County pieces together Spring Creek Greenway
- GA: Big Creek Greenway updates ongoing in Forsyth County
- NC: Downtown Greenway picking up momentum after slow start
- CT: $1.8 million for greenway
- IL: Good response to Transit bike trail connection to Bethalto
- MO: Bicycle-pedestrian path over Missouri River bridges gap
- CA: Trail 58 open for hikers, bikers
- FL: Gainesville's bike share usage numbers lower than expected
- VA: More people are riding their bikes to work
- NYC: Shoe company hits the streets to make delieveries by bike
Driver Plows into Cyclists, Kills 5
Cooper Twp., MI - "Five bicyclists were killed and four more were hurt Tuesday evening when they were hit by a pickup truck north of Kalamazoo." more...
Cincy Attracting Attention for Green Initiatives
Cincinnati, OH - "...It's been named one of the country's best cities for an active lifestyle and recently the League of American Bicyclists cited Cincinnati's growth in bike commuting the third fastest in America." more...
Olentangy River getting New Kayak Access Point
Columbus, OH - "A spot at the intersection of Olentangy River Road and King Avenue is slated to become a new access point to the Olentangy River." more...
Businesses Thriving Along Little Miami Trail
Loveland, OH - "On a crisp, sunny spring Sunday the patio at Julian's is always packed." more...
Bike Shares Testing Single Trip Fares
"A new payment option rolled out by Capital Bikeshare in DC last week makes it easier to grab a bike if you just want to make a single trip. The pilot program offers a base fare of $2 to check out a bike, with additional fees after the first 30 minutes. Previously, you would have had to commit to at least an $8 24-hour pass to use the system." more...
Campaign to Extend Greenway is Full Steam Ahead
UK - "An ambitious campaign to re-open a footpath across an historic viaduct..." more
- IL: New bike trail coming to Carol Stream?
- IN: Mounds Greenway would bring $13M in annual benefits
- OR: Add bike trail to historic gorge route
- WI: Big Hill bike trail to open
- IN: County grants easement for bike trail
- VA: Smith Mountain Lake bike route opens later this month
- UK: London "Cycle Superhighway" Teems With Bike Traffic
- WA: South Sound bike polo group strives to teach game
- WA: Bicyclist critically hurt in crash near I-5
- WA: Historic Tokul Creek Trestle reopens on Snoqualmie Valley Trail
Cincinnati Bike Center Finding New Niche
Cincinnati, OH - "...The Cincinnati Bike Center serves downtown commuters, as well as tourists and locals who may want to take a spin around riverfront parks and urban neighborhoods." more...
Complete Street Vision for Liberty Street
Cincinnati, OH - "...The Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corp. commissioned its own master plan... It had a 'complete street' vision for Liberty Street that included far more robust biking and pedestrian facilities..." more
Akron Bike Racks have Character
Akron, OH - "...the 17 new racks are being used to encourage bike travel throughout the downtown area and to highlight the unique nature of nearby attractions and businesses." more...
Future Transpo Plans must be Less Auto-Centric
Cleveland, OH - "A new long-term transportation plan for Northeast Ohio should be drafted by the end of the year. The Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency is asking the community for input on what it should look like." more...
Open Spaces Bring Light to Downtown Columbus
Columbus, OH - "The capital city of Ohio adopted a reconstruction plan for encouraging development 14 years ago that emphasized three unexpected ingredients: more grass, less water and targeted taxpayer spending." more...
Earmarks for Road, Trail Projects being Reallocated
D.C. - "...The money has gone untouched for a decade or more, intended to pay for roads, bridges and recreation paths that never got built, and for a ferry that was supposed to transit Lake Erie, from Cleveland to Port Stanley, Ontario, before the plan sank." more...
Increasingly Common Tragedy: Death by Crosswalk
MN - "...a woman tried to cross the street in a legal marked crosswalk when one driver stopped for her but was hit by another car driver on an unsafe road in an urban neighborhood." more...
Nashville eyes $40M elevated Greenway
TN - "Metro Nashville is seeking $30 million in federal funds for an ambitious $40.2 million proposal to build a new elevated greenway for pedestrians and cyclists on an approximately seven-mile stretch of Interstate 440." more...
- IL: Why it's so hard to make bike trails
- ID: Woman is hit by a bike on City Creek Trail
- AL: City loan expected to jump-start trail construction work
- TX: McAllen plans to install more emergency call boxes on trails
- IN: Work now under way to connect downtown Elkhart to MapleHeart Trail
- TX: Sewage spills along Salado Creek Greenway
- CO: Rocky Mountain Greenway's neighborhoods to nature
- OR: Tesla agrees to build Willamette Greenway path segment
- CAN: Railway removal starting along Arbutus greenway
- VA: Parks director Steve Buschor saw recreation as a way to help city grow
- OR: Development will come with new carfree road and raised bike lane
- CA: LAPD officer and a bike program are making the difference for commuters
Bike May Use Full Lane Signs Go Up
Columbus, OH - "...That's right! Columbus recently posted their first Bicycles May Use Full Lane signs on Long Street and Mt Vernon Avenue!..." more
Birds Flocking to Newly Preserved City Wetland
Athens, OH - "...The wetland, created as a part of the city's now-finished project to extend the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway from the West State Street Park to Armitage Road, was built with the help of a Clean Ohio Conservation grant fund..." more
The Dangers of Riding Against Traffic
Controversial Plan to Replace Train Tracks with Bike Trail
NY - "When Gov. Andrew Cuomo tried to find a compromise over how to best utilize a corridor in the Adirondacks, he opened old wounds from a decades-long debate." more...
Accurate Bicycle Counter Could Give Advocates a Boost
"...For a long time, ACS numbers and one-day hand counts by advocates, volunteers or city staff were among the only ways to glean ridership numbers..." more
- PA: Local volunteer chapters maintain Yough River Trail
- GA: Advocates upset after riders modify MTB trail to make it easier
- CA: T-Board considers urban bike path
- MI: Bay City proposes citywide bike lane study
- IN: Greenway impact study to be released
- AR: Northwest Arkansas trail to get new signs
- GA: Atlanta Puts $1 Billion Toward Biking and Walking Projects
- AR: Wal-Mart markets draw bikers, walkers
- CA: LA's most dangerous intersection made safer with crosswalk "scramble"
Towpath Trail Dedicated in Spencerville
Spencerville, OH - "A newly re-constructed towpath along the Miami-Erie Canal was dedicated today in Spencerville." more...
Bike Lanes Sought for Trail Connections
National Bike Summit & Women's Forum Special Issue
Read the e-magazine.
- CA: Rellim Ridge trail opens to mountain bikers
- WA: Trail closures on Green River Trail in Kent, East Lake Sammamish Trail
Wolf Creek Bikeway Section Closes for Repairs
Dayton, OH - "The Wolf Creek Trail between Philadelphia bridge and Gettysburg Avenue (in front of Adventure Central) will be closed for repairs June 4 through 18.
Ride & Build Cyclists Pedaling Through
Manchester, OH - "Travelers on U.S. 52 in Adams and Brown counties may have seen small groups of brightly dressed cyclists headed west on Friday." more...
Miami Valley Watershed named National Water Trail System
SW OH - "The Great Miami Watershed Water Trail has been named a National Water Trail System by the Secretary of the Interior - a designation that could lead to more riverfront investment. The water trail includes the Great Miami, Stillwater and Mad rivers and is the only national water trail in Ohio." more...
Bike Used as Weapon in Trail Attack
Chicago, IL - "A cyclist was injured in an armed robbery on the Lakefront Trail on Thursday..." more
L.A.'s Newest Greenway is 67 Miles Long
CA - "...The 67-mile Backbone Trail connects many of the the Santa Monica range's peaks and opened this week after 40 years in the making..." more
2016 Doppelt Grant Awards
"Today is National Trails Day - the perfect opportunity for RTC to announce the winners of our 2016 Doppelt Family Trail Development Fund grant awards." more...
Cliff Bar Recall
"Clif Bar issued a voluntary recall for three flavors of the company's energy bars." more...
- MA: Phase 2 plans for Watertown Greenway
- MA: Greenway Extension Ribbon Cutting
- CT: Greenways award winners announced
- NY: Plotting a path for the Albany waterfront bike trail connector
- NY: Tick trouble at a Tonawanda bike trail
- CAN: Government gives financial boost to province wide bike trail project
- OR: Exciting times for open streets
Freedom Trail & Magic Mile win Top Trail Awards
Brecksville, OH - "Two Summit County trail projects were hailed as gold-medal winners on Thursday..." more
Huffman Metropark Trails Meant for all Skill Levels
Dayton, OH - "Riders of all ages and skill levels will be served by a suite of three new trails opening soon at Huffman MetroPark's mountain biking facility." more...
Amazon Fires its Seattle Bike Couriers
Seattle, WA - "Amazon has fired dozens of bike couriers with little warning, apparently planning to deliver one-hour and two-hour Amazon Prime Now packages by driving in Seattle traffic instead. Good luck with that!" more...
Miami Is Deadly for Cyclists
FL - "...Any regular cyclist in Miami-Dade will tell you that hopping onto a bike here is an act of faith..." more
Uberbike Launches in Amsterdam
"...UberBike lets cyclists order a car equipped with a bike rack. The idea here is that lots of people cycle, but not everyone wants to ride everywhere they go..." more
E-Bikes are Commuting Staple Around the World
"...But Americans have been slow to adopt so-called e-bikes, which typically employ an electric motor to supplement pedaling." more...
Why Helmets Aren't the Answer to Bike Safety
"Better street design and getting more people on bikes - not blind faith in helmets - are the keys to making cycling safer, recent research has shown." more...
- NH: Nashua man accused of assaulting, robbing man on area bike trail
- CA: Bay Trail options added to Tiburon bike plan
- OR: First look inside the new 600-space Lloyd Cycle Station
- AUS: Aussie road rage driver pulls knife on cyclist
- CO: Denver Police Cracking Down On Bicyclists
Hamilton Applying for State Grant for Rec Trail
Hamilton, OH - "City officials have been given the OK to apply for a state grant that would go toward the purchase of land needed for the Hamilton Beltline Recreation Trail." more...
Photographer Falls into River, Gets Rescued
Yellow Springs, OH - "...The young man, believed to be in his 20s, wasn't injured, the chief said, but was a little frightened after his ordeal." more...
New App Helps Parkgoers Interact With NE Ohio Trails
NE OH - "...It has maps of the trails, marks more than 250 points of interest, and guides hikers through five interactive Adventure Tracks." more...
Death Toll Climbing on U.S. Roadways
"...Since the time of Zachary's death [in 2009], another 32,000-plus pedestrians have been killed in the United States..." more
Sidewalk Labs and Transportation for America Team Up
"...The organizations will partner with local governments in more than 70 U.S. cities to use data and technology to reduce congestion and develop more high-tech and multimodal streets." more...
DOT Engineers Say They'll Do Better on Walking, Biking, Transit
"In a welcome sign from an industry group that has been slow to embrace street designs that prioritize walking, biking, and transit, the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) released a statement last week saying it intends to 'better address multi-modal issues.'" more...
- TN: Gallatin's Town Creek Greenway completed
- TX:Heavy rains delay Spring Creek Greenway
- MO: Riverfront paths at Gateway Arch to open Thursday
- TN: New high gravity bike trail about to open
- MD: WB&A Trail extension
- MT: Coram to West Glacier bike path awarded to LHC
- SC: Entrepreneur to start vegan food cart on Swamp Rabbit Trail
- IA: Iowa City strives for 'gold' in bike friendliness
- UK: Cyclists pressure Sadiq Khan over safety pledge after woman killed
- OR: First look inside the new 600-space Lloyd Cycle Station
- WA: Scenic stretch of Willapa Hills Trail reopens
- MD: College Park's mBike brings accessible bikeshare to the region
- WA: I don't want anyone else to lose their future on something that's so preventable
Request For Bike Trail Funding Falls Flat
Cincinnati, OH - "A request for local matching funds to connect some bike trails in Hamilton County failed to get support from commissioners..." more
Yay Bikes! Activity Report for May
"Welcome to the monthly feature in which we round up all our events, earned media, program delivery, meetings and speaking engagements for the month..." more
Safe Routes to Schools E-News
Read the June issue.
Consumer Reports Tests Child Bike Helmets
"Bike accidents happen in a split second and often it's young adults and children who get hurt..." more
Man Arrested for Riding Bike on Sidewalk
Merced, CA - "On April 28, Officer Martinez of the Merced, California, police department stopped 19-year-old Jordan Lloyd on a sidewalk in the city to supposedly cite him for riding his bicycle on the sidewalk..." more
Why 20 MPH Should Be the Limit on City Streets
"Speed kills, especially on city streets teeming with pedestrians and cyclists." more...
Top 10 Deadliest States for Pedestrians
" If you would rather not get plowed into by a car during your evening stroll, Minnesota might be a better place to settle down than New Mexico..." more
- PA: Grant could make Bellefonte/Milesburg greenway happen
- CA: Frisco leaders plan for bike-friendly improvements
- MD: Bike accident on Odenton trail sends man to hospital
- TX: Chickasaw County OKs trail
- LA: New Orleans Says It's Ready for Bike-Share
- WA: City Inside/Out takes on Seattle's slashed bike plans
- OR: ODOT adopts new biking and walking plan
- OR: Here's why Portland isn't building protected bikeways (yet)
- FRA: Pre-1997 cars banned from Paris streets as of this summer
Officials Discuss 'Miami to Miami' Connector
Butler County, OH - "A feasibility study done in 2002 by a group of Butler and Warren county communities is getting some new attention again." more...
Hampton Hills Metro Park Trails Impress
Summit County, OH - "Cliff Thompson was impressed by his first peek at Summit Metro Park's first mountain bike trails." more...
Minneapolis Adopts 'Complete Streets' Policy
MN - "...The city is far from the first to join the movement - some 950 cities nationally already have adopted such policies, including many Twin Cities-area suburbs..." more
Beijing's Electric Bikes Face Traffic Backlash
China - "A squeal of brakes, the screech of ripping metal and a battery-powered, three-wheel scooter - top-heavy with parcels for delivery - tips over after hitting a car..." more
Submitted by Nelson Shogren
Dutch Considering Ban on Cell Phones when Biking
Netherlands - "The Dutch government is considering banning the country's millions of cyclists from using their cellphones while riding, saying pedaling and phones are a dangerous mix." more...
How Long Should Ghost Bikes Stay on Public Property?
"A year ago today, prominent architect Roger du Toit was killed while riding his bike. A week later this ghost bike was installed..." more
Why Complete Streets Make Economic Sense
"We know that walking and cycling can help extend and enhance your life, but we seldom think about how these two modes of travel - collectively called 'active modes' - can enhance business opportunities..." more
- CAN: Sponsors help add 10 benches to Lang-Hastings Trail
- CA: Truckee police to use electric motorcycle to patrol trails & roads
- NC: New Greenway section open for walking, biking in Corolla
- WI: Conover-Phelps Bike & Hike Trail Dedication
- KS: Wichita's top seven walking and biking path priorities
- IL: Bike-rental station coming to East Belleville YMCA
- GER: Berlin mayor rejects new cycling law
- FIN: Helsinki Treats New Bike-Share as Another Form of Public Transit
- OR: Cyclist dies after being struck
Motorized Bikes are Making Inroads
"...Motorized bikes are coming on strong, some of them souped up to go over 40 mph. On a recent bike tour in Spain, we saw them in every bike shop - front and center in the showroom windows. They're taking over Europe." more...
- CAN: Can Vancouver's Arbutus Corridor bring in the green?
- AL: Hiker found dead at Wade Mountain Greenway
- WI: First part of Conover-Phelps trail opens
- NC: Carrboro struggles with its path
Thriving Rail Trails Energize Communities
PA - "...Pennsylvania's rail trails... are viewed as successes among the network of 1,970 trails covering more than 22,300 miles in 50 states." more...
- TN: Injured camper safe after rescue from hiking trail
- IN: Mayor releases statement about Greenway Trail robbery
- MO: Ozark Greenways Trails Connect
- NE: Johnson Lake Residents Celebrate Completion Of Hike-Bike Bridge
- FL: Progress made on urban trail linking 20 miles of Tampa destinations
- TX: Railroad land issue could cause east riverwalk delay
- GA: Coming Soon to Atlanta: a Bona Fide Bike-Share Program!
Officials Dedicate 1st Phase of Spartan Trail
Springfield Twp., OH - "...This year, 1,350 lineal feet will be added to the trail. The process has begun and is anticipated to be completed this summer." more...
Challenges Persist For Central Parkway Bike Lane
Cincinnati, OH - "With National Bike Month coming to a close, the rhetoric surrounding the fate of the city's lone protected bike lane continues..." more
Plan for Path Moving Forward
Columbus, OH - "A much-needed infrastructure upgrade for a small portion of West Third Avenue just west of Olentangy River Road appears to be moving forward..." more
The Scary Trend Of Booby-Trapped Bike Trails
"People who 'just don't like' bikers are responsible for shockingly malicious acts that imperil cyclists and pedestrians alike, often causing serious injury..." more
Court Dismisses Lawsuit in Fatal Hike-and-Bike Trail Crash
Austin, TX - "...a dangerous stretch of the hike-and-bike trail along Lady Bird Lake allowed a car to jump the curb and kill a man in 2012." more...
- ME: Family of lost hiker won't second-guess Maine over search
- D.C.: D.C.'s Best Bike Rides, Part II
- TN: Convicted car burglar arrested again at West Nashville greenway
- MN: Temporary Greenway Coming To North Mpls.
- NC: Henderson County greenway upgrade connects parks
- CA: Highway 101 bike path garners statewide honor
Water Taxi Service Starts this Weekend
Cleveland, OH - "...The water taxi - a 26-foot Crosby Yacht called the "eLCee2" - can hold 18 passengers and up to four bicycles at a time..." more
4 Lessons the D.C. Bikeshare Could Teach Cleveland
D.C. - "With more than 3,100 bikes at 370 docking stations throughout the nation's capital and neighboring communities, the Capital Bikeshare system is hailed as a way to boost exercise while reducing traffic congestion and cutting car emissions." more...
State DOTs Allowing Increased Street Design Flexibility
"A committee of top engineers representing state departments of transportation this week adopted a resolution directing the development of more flexible highway and street design guidance." more...
Prioritizing Pedestrian, Bike Projects
"For decades, highway engineers have had a universally accepted means of measuring the effectiveness of new or improved roads, and that metric, known as "level of service..." more
The Supply And Demand Of Street Space
Seattle, WA - "Approximately 35% of the land area of Seattle constitutes public right-of-way. Today, most of this space is dedicated to general purpose lanes and parking and is utilized mostly by single occupancy vehicles..." more
Cyclists Must Dismount on Greenway, No One Knows Why
NYC - "Parks Department officers are ordering cyclists to dismount on the Hudson River Greenway in Midtown and ticketing people who don't comply." more...
- KY: U.S. Bicycle Route 76 Signed in Western Kentucky
- AZ: Woman survives 100-foot fall during hike
- NY: New tools help visitors access Hudson Valley Greenway Water Trail
- NC: Corolla Greenway Extension now open
- NC: New leg of Oklawaha Greenway has much to offer
- GA: Connecting the region's trail networks
- OK: OU looks at adding campus bike share to services
- UK: Can Sadiq Khan make London a cycling city?
- WA: Undercover cops meet with stolen bike seller
- IN: Hundreds plan to bike to Indy 500
- WA: Vigilantes catch thief on video with bait bike
Park District gets Trail Grant
Cranley Announces Funding To Buy Wasson Way
Cincinnati, OH - "Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said Wednesday his proposed budget revisions will include $12 million to buy the former Wasson Way line from Norfolk Southern..." more
Third Bike Lane Report Underway
Cincinnati, OH - "...Mayor John Cranley has called for a third safety report. It is underway." more...
Man's Bike Stolen While Shopping for Bike Lock
South Euclid, OH - "A man said May 19 his bike was stolen from a bike rack in front of Walmart while he was in the store shopping for a bike lock..." more
Nearly Finished Public Square Reno Looks Spectacular
Cleveland, OH - "...It looks like the square, which is on schedule and on budget for completion in June, in time for the Republican National Convention in July, is going to be knockout beautiful..." more
Distracted Drivers are Hitting New Lows
MN - "...Distracted driving accounts for 1 in 4 crashes and at least 70 deaths and 350 serious injuries a year in Minnesota..." more
Cycling Advocate Calls on Federal Government to Upgrade, Finish Trans Canada Trail
CAN - "The Trans Canada Trail needs a lot more work before it can be called a fully useable, safe, country-wide experience, says a cycling advocate from Alberta." more...
Paris Unveils Bicycle Highway
FRA - "Paris has officially opened the first segment of its new 'bike highway' in France, a 600-metre stretch near Bastille." more...
Cyclists Deserve Protection During Construction Too
"In Toronto where I live, there is construction everywhere. Under the rules, there has to be protection for pedestrians. But what about cyclists?..." more
Missing AT Hiker Kept Journal of Deadly Ordeal
ME - "An Appalachian Trail hiker whose remains were discovered last year survived at least 26 days after getting lost, kept a journal of her ordeal and ultimately resigned herself to the idea she was going to die..." more
America's Fittest Cities Are Safer for Walking and Biking
"...For the third report in a row, Washington, D.C. was ranked as the most fit metropolitan area in the nation..." more
- OR: New greenway stretch in Phoenix to open soon
- CAN: Thanks but no thanks, Whitehorse bike club tells rogue trail builders
- TX: Man stabbed on hike-bike trial near downtown
- NV: Tahoe MTB Association & USFS undertaking ambitious trail work
- DE: Delaware may toughen penalties for hitting a pedestrian
- NV: Reno mayor pushes for green bike lanes
- WA: Seattle Times continues phony 'war on cars'
- MA: Boston Bans Hoverboards From Transit
- WA: Woman who crashed along First Hill Streetcar route passes away
- OR: PSU will host a free 'Summer Transportation Institute' for girls
Shaker Dedicates Trail
Shaker Heights, OH - "...Shaker and Cleveland Heights dedicated the the Fairhill Road connector of the Lake-to-Lakes trail..." more
$1M Price Tag for Viaduct Bike Path
Mt. Vernon, OH - "City Council gave its approval Monday for the administration to apply for Ohio Department of Transportation alternative funding to design and build a bike path under the southernmost arch of the viaduct on South Main Street." more...
Hockhocking Trail Getting New Mile Markers
Bike Share Coming to Downtown Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "A new bike sharing program is coming to downtown Cleveland and University Circle in mid-July..." more
Westwood, Wasson Trails Win Majority of City's Bike Spending Proposals
Cincinnati, OH - "A proposed mixed-use trail cutting through Westwood will get the lion's share of bike program funding in 2017, if council approves the city administration's recommendations." more...
Lakewood, a City Friendlier to Cyclists
Lakewood, OH - "This city of 52,000 on the western edge of Cleveland has seen an uptick in bicycle riding since 2012, when the local government decided to make the city more conducive to cycling." more...
Walkable Neighborhoods Cut Obesity and Diabetes Rates
"Neighborhoods designed for walking may decrease the rates of being overweight or obese and having diabetes by more than 10 percent, a new study concludes." more...
8 Cities That Are Great for Bike Commuters
"...these cities are role models for safer cycling in the US." more...
League of American Bicyclists Spring/Summer Digital Magazine
Read this issue.
- CA: Man knocked off bike, robbed on San Fran's Centennial Way Trail
- IL: App seeks input to improve Lake County bike trails
- VA: 10 big ideas for making Arlington even more bike-friendly
- NC: Walkers, joggers and pedalers flock to greenway extension
- IN: Man found unconscious on Greenway hours after leaving jail
- CA: Business owners air concerns over Uptown Bike Plan
- WA: Seattle Betrays Cyclists
- Africa: Can Johannesburg beAfrica's 1st cycle-friendly megacity?
- OR: $8.4M downtown protected bike lane plans will start this summer
- NYC: Citi Bike Mechanics: New Bike Design Is A "Catastrophic Failure"
Councilman says Bike Lane can Stay
Cincinnati, OH - " One member of city council has softened his stance on the Central Parkway protected bike lane, but not without renewing his view that it's dangerous and a public safety hazard." more...
Man Riding Bicycle Struck, Killed
Toledo, OH - "...Police are looking for the driver of the vehicle." more...
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Police Bikes being readied for RNC
Cleveland, OH - "...Dean Ayers of Kent Cycle is one the dozen technicians on the first three-hour shift assembling the nearly $1,400 a piece Safariland/Kona bikes." more...
An Interview with Lancaster Bicycle Club's President
PA - "...John Mullineaux, president of Lancaster Bicycle Club, has been cycling since the 1980s." more...
Met Branch Trail Sees Record Use on Bike to Work Day
D.C. - "Breaking the previous record during the Metro shutdown in March." more...
Why are New Yorkers Bicycling to Work in Record Numbers?
Engineers Should not Design Streets
"...The friendly woman riding next to me asked me what could be done to to better educate engineers so they would start to build streets that were about more than simply about moving cars..." more
Foxx Envisions a "Gradual Shift" Away From Car Dependence
"...Foxx's power to set transportation policy pales in comparison to Congress and the White House, but he could be doing more to speed up a shift of priorities at the federal level..." more
- MN: North Side greenway proposal at last gets a road test
- WA: Damaged Yakima Greenway section will not be rebuilt
- NY: Bike trail continues to grow as missing link lamented
- NH: Lisbon man seriously injured in crash on Bath bike trail
- IL: CAMBr to use REI grant for improvements to Carpentersville bike parks
- OR: 100 kids from east Portland families now have new bikes to ride
- CAN: Vancouver launching bike share this summer
Trains Returning to Athens County
Athens, OH - "By late July, Athens County residents living near the old Norfolk Southern railroad line likely will hear daily train whistles again, a sound that's been missing the last three and a half months." more...
Cyclists want more than Bike Lanes
San Diego, CA - "Lockers, showers, and considerate drivers will encourage more bike commuters, riders say." more...
Inventory of Protected Bike Lanes
"Between 1874 and 2011, only 78 protected bike lanes existed nationwide. By winter 2016, 270 protected lanes were on the ground across the country, and the number keeps rising..." more
Stupidity Epidemic Hits National Parks
"Common sense might not be common, but really, it doesn't take much of brain to know that you shouldn't pet a thousand - pound bison..." more
- CA: Body retrieved from Skyline Trail; suicide suspected
- WV: Harrison Rail Trails preparing for summer and larger connection
- NC: Mayodan Mountain Bike Trail set to open
- IA: Windsor Heights bike hub could have cafe, art, music
- CO: Former Olympian applauds local bike trails
- IA: Siouxland trails could benefit from new money
- KY: Why Bike Infrastructure Matters For Louisville
Cyclist Claims Driver tried to Run Him Down
Shoreline, WA - "A local cyclist says an incident at a Shoreline intersection was one of the most aggressive road rage he has ever experienced and it was caught on camera." more...
- MA: Walking/Bike Trail A Welcome Addition
- AUS: Bike riders fear Yarra path will be choked by new apartments
- MT: BLT Linked Adventures brings shuttle service and bike rentals to Butte
Dayton Passes 3-Feet Law
Dayton, OH - "Motorists in Dayton are now required to give bicyclists a three-foot buffer zone while passing." more...
Bold Plan for New University Circle Greenway
Cleveland, OH - " Case Western Reserve University is planning a dramatic new greenway that will slice across the Cleveland Museum of Art's south front and across Rockefeller Park to connect CWRU's main campus to its emerging western campus along East 105th Street." more...
Cleveland Bike Share coming this Summer
Cleveland, OH - "A new bike sharing program is coming to downtown Cleveland and University Circle in mid-July, just in time for the onslaught of visitors converging on the city for the Republican National Convention." more...
Ohio 3-Ft Passing Law & Distracted Driving
"We recently learned that the Ohio House will finally be taking HB154 to the floor for a vote. That vote will take place on Wednesday, May 25th." more...
Renovated Cabins at Mohican State Park
Loudonville, OH - "...Twenty of the 25 cabins at the Mohican State Park Campground will be completely remodeled and ready for renting by Memorial Day." more...
Cop Kills Pedestrian While in Hot Pursuit of Perfume Thief
CAN - "...When Constable Remo Romano hit her with his F150 pickup truck he was going 115 (71MPH) in a 60 km/hr (37 MPH) zone. According to one article, her body was thrown 80 meters..." more
Read the latest edition.
- UT: Highline Trail opening
- CT: Dog collapses, rescued in state park
- VA: Volunteers sought for new Greenway Ambassadors program
- GA: City of Suwanee opens Brushy Creek Greenway
- TN: Bike trail plans targeted for September
- WI: Amtrak allows bicycles on Hiawatha route
- WI: County earns award for being top bicycling destination
- PA: Guided Bike Tours Begin on Lackawanna Heritage Valley Trail
- OR: 'Bike bypass' coming to McKenzie River Trail
- OR: New Columbia Gorge Express will carry you - and your bike...
- OR: OHSU's Go By Bike Valet has doubled its users in 3 years
Annie's Law Passes Ohio House
Athens, OH - "The Ohio House today passed House Bill 388, which allows judges to grant the use of ignition interlock for individuals on their first OVI offense..." more
Possible Black Bear Sighting
Newark, OH - "...Newark Police are tracking the bear, which has been seen in the vicinity of Wilbur Street, Cleveland Avenue, the Pomeroy Trail and Creek Road by Papermill Road." more...
5 Companies That Crush Bike to Work Day
"...All companies should be celebrating like these ultra-bike-friendly businesses." more...
Bike Lanes Can Be More Efficient Than Car Lanes
"Contrary to all those cranky newspaper columns about how every last inch of asphalt needs to be allocated to motor vehicles, bike lanes can actually move more people with less street space than general traffic lanes." more...
Body Found on Hiking Trail in Northern Wisconsin
Phelps, WI - "...Luann Beckman, 47, was found on a hiking trail in Phelps on Tuesday. She was last seen riding her bike Sunday afternoon." more...
- GA: Founder of Pine Mountain Trail passes away at 86
- VA: Waynesboro Greenway set to expand
- LA: NOPD questioning Lafitte Greenway holdup victim's story
- WI: Taylor Drive Bike Trail Vital Link, Says County
- WI: Construction under way for Lower Yahara Bike Trail
- IL: MCT prepares to open 2 bike trail extensions
- WI: Dane County Honored as One of Top Biking Counties
- MD: Bike to Work Day Organizers Hope to Break Record
- WA: Dad who helped grow Seattleâ€™s bike to school movement passes away
- NY: Brooklynites Speak Out Against New Bike Lane
- Scotland: Cyclist claims police tried to fine him for riding on a cycle path
- CT: BLT appeals
Shaker Heights Earns Bicycle Friendly Status
Shaker Heights, OH - "...Shaker Heights joins a cutting-edge group of 372 communities across the United States, and only 13 communities in Ohio that are transforming the American landscape. Locally, they join Cleveland, Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, and Oberlin as cities who have achieved this status." more...
PA's Emerging Trail Network
PA - "You probably don't know it, but there are three designated bicycle routes crossing Pennsylvania from east to west and four running north-south." more...
Metal Spikes Found On Mountain Bike Trail
CO - "Mountain bikers are wary after a trail was sabotaged with metal spikes..." more
- MN: Glacial Lakes Trail Extension funded in bonding bills
- NE: City's newest trail moving along
- VA: Waynesboro to lengthen South River Greenway
- IN: Man knocked out, has bike stolen on Monon Trail
- NC: Raleigh City Council OKs plan for more bike lanes
- WA: People pack City Hall to end Seattle's bike plan delays
- OR: ODOT adds 4 new staffers to head up active transportation efforts
- CA: Beverly Hills Has a Bike Share?
Conneaut will Study Bike Lane Linking Downtown to Lake
Conneaut, OH - "Bicyclists may enjoy a dedicated pathway linking Conneaut's downtown district to Lake Erie if a councilman's idea becomes reality." more...
East Golf Hike & Bike Trail Hours Extended
Youngstown, OH - "...The trail will now be open from 5 a.m. until 10 p.m. year round - the same hours that the MetroParks Bikeway is open. The East Golf Hike and Bike Trail had previously closed at dark." more...
Fremont Adds Downtown Bike Lanes
Fremont, OH - "...The bike lanes in downtown Fremont are part of the North Coast Inland Trail, a bike and pedestrian trail which runs through Lorain, Huron and Sandusky counties, including through the city of Norwalk..." more
Bike Cleveland Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Bicyclist Robbed, Nearly Killed on Lafitte Greenway
New Orleans, LA - "A bicyclist is, perhaps, lucky to be alive after being the victim of an armed robbery on the Lafitte Greenway." more...
Ped Deaths in US up 10% in 2015
"The Governors Highway Safety Association's latest look at what's happening to pedestrians in America is out, and it is not pretty; there's a ten percent increase in 2015 over 2014, and a 19 percent increase since 2009..." more
The Crucial Connection Between Street Width and Walkability
"There's a good deal of empirical evidence that narrower travel lanes are safer for everyone because they slow motorist speeds." more...
Unusual Patent to "Protect" Peds from Self-Driving Cars
"In a world with self-driving cars, Google envisions the inevitable: accidents involving pedestrians. But the firm is exploring an unusual solution. Think flypaper." more...
- NM: Hiker found dead, ending monthslong search
- NY: Seeing green on the Saranac River Trail Greenway
- NE: Hike/bike trail completion celebration planned at Johnson Lake
- MN: Construction Set To Begin On St. Paul Grand Round Bike Path
- D.C.: Petition: Extend the Met Branch Trail to Dupont Circle
- SPA: Barcelona's plan to give streets back to residents
- AZ: Pima County supervisors limit length pedestrians can stay on median
- OR: Drive-alone trips are a shrinking share of new commutes
- NY: Help Citi Bike Rebalance Its Docks And You Can Ride For Free
Bike-to-Work Week Kicks off with 'Duckling Rides'
Cincinnati, OH - "It's National Bike-to-Work Week, and many Tri-Staters brave enough to face the cold temperatures Monday morning will be gathering for 'Duckling Rides' with veteran cyclists showing newbies the ropes to two-wheeled commuting." more...
76 Bicycle Friendly Businesses Awarded
"... Nearly 1,200 visionary businesses from across the country have earned this status. Now there are BFBs in 49 states and the District of Columbia." more...
Crackdown on Drivers Who Violate Bike Lane Rules
NYC - "The NYPD will work this week to make bicyclists safer by focusing on dangerous violations in bike lanes, with a crackdown in all 77 precincts on drivers who do not play by the rules." more...
Teenager Sues Over Being Pulled From Bike, Tasered and Arrested
WA - "Monique Tillman was 15 years old when, she says, a police officer pulled her off her bicycle, slammed her to the ground and tased her after she rode through a mall parking lot in Tacoma, Wash..." more
- SC: Some properties appraised for trail easement payouts
- CA: Plans for bike trail through south city neighborhoods
- MA: Westfield dedicates historic signage on Columbia Greenway Bike Trail
- IA: Newton working to extend bike trail
- NZ: Sorting cycle trails through gorges next step
- D.C.: Mapping How Stressful Streets Can Limit Cycling
- VA: Waynesboro Greenway expansion to begin this summer
- CA: North-South Greenway is right for Marin
- GA: Two sections of Big Creek Greenway closing in south Forsyth
- WA: Actions planned before City Council meeting on slashed bike plan
- OR: A glimpse at Portland's future - and better - bike network
Conservancy Adds 26 Acres to Bike Path Preserve
York Township, OH - "...the Athens Conservancy purchased a 26-acre addition to the Poston Preserve, bringing the land total of the preserve to 48 acres. The new tract is located on both sides of the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway..." more
Stark County Bike Share Program Returns for 2nd Year
Stark County, OH - "...The BikeSmart program will start up again today with changes. It'll be less of an honor system and more like a free car rental..." more
Video Shows Cop Car, Bicycle Collision
San Francisco, CA - "...The video was captured on May 12 by an Uber driver using an app called Nexar. The incident occurred in San Francisco at Second and Mission streets." more...
Love Riding your E-Bike along Anchorage's Trails? It's Illegal
AK - "...the law needs to support electric cycles that offer people new ways to commute. The electric rides might one day provide the basis for a new industry in Alaska..." more
- CA: Lost mountain biker found safe
- MN: What Happened to the Money for Blazing Star Trail?
- CO: Governor rides into Grand Valley to talk economic development
- WA: Snohomish Co. wants to boost bike tourism
- NY: Bus, bike, train mark downtown Buffalo's future
- WA:Man killed and woman seriously injured in shared-bike collision with bus
- WA: Efforts to save the John Wayne Pioneer Trail
- OR: 'Sunday Parkways' held on Springwater Corridor following homeless sweep
STEM Collaborative Teaches Kids to Build their own Bicycles
Cincinnati, OH - See the video.
City to City Ride kicks off Kalamazoo Bike Week
Portage, MI - "...This ride gives political leaders a chance to see the biking infrastructure firsthand, and to see the neighborhood on bike instead of in a car..." more
Representative calls Springwater Trail "A Disaster"
Portland, OR - "Representative Jeff Reardon of Happy Valley wanted to see what the homeless situation along the Springwater Corridor Trail looks like for himself, so he organized a special bike ride." more...
- CA: Man stabbed on bike trail Friday afternoon in Fairfield
- NZ: Govt gives millions to Otago bike trails
- WA: How Seattle can rescue residents stranded by an incomplete bike network
Plans for Mountain Bike Trail Suspended
Troy, OH - "The Riverside Cemetery's proposed mountain bike project has come to a halt, according to city staff." more...
Hiker Hurt on Clifton Gorge Trail
Yellow Springs, OH - "A female hiker hurt at Clifton Gorge in Yellow Springs needed medical attention before firefighter-EMTs rescued her off one of the trails..." more
Feds Don't Require Streets to Speed Car Traffic
"When advocating for a street redesign that will take some space away from cars, it's common to run up against this classic brush-off from your local transportation agency: The federal government won't allow it." more...
It Just Got Easier for Cities to Design Walkable, Bikeable Streets
"...Last week, the Federal Highway Administration struck 11 of the 13 design rules for 'national highways' - a 230,000-mile network of roads that includes many urban streets." more...
Walk Signals are bad for Walking
"Conventional wisdom says that walk signals make crossing the street safer for people. But they actually make walking slower and more dangerous." more...
- CA: Search continues for mountain biker lost on trail
- NC: Appalachian Trail shelter closed after bear bites sleeping hiker
- GA: Fourth phase of Riverwalk Greenway begins in Roswell
- CA: Proposed Vista Point Bike Trail Would Connect Golden Gate, Sausalito
- KS: Volunteers open new bike-walk trail
- CA: Homeless trio rescues baby bobcat along Riverside bike path
- KS: Take a bike ride on the new Chisholm Trail
- IL: Protected bike lane opens in downtown Aurora
- CO: Cycling takes center stage with new midvalley trail
- WA: Pronto plans first ever ride "free" day
- MT: Mountain Bikers Lose Access to Another 180 Miles of Singletrack
- CA: Officials Pretend To Care About Cycling For 22nd Annual Bike To Work Day
Twinsburg Eyeing Expansion of Hike and Bike Trail
Twinsburg, OH - "The three-quarter mile Tinkers Creek trail could be gaining an extra mile, offering the ability for residents to hike and bike to downtown destinations..." more
Bicyclist Killed in Dayton Crash
Dayton, OH - "...The Montgomery County Coroner's Office identifies the victim as 68-year-old James Schneider." more...
Partnership Proposes Maumee River Water Trail
Defiance, OH - "With the confluence of the rivers as a backdrop, officials with the Upper Maumee Watershed Partnership unveiled a proposal for a Maumee River Water Trail." more...
Local Businessman Looks to Introduce Quadricycles
Toledo, OH - "A Toledo area businessman is pushing for city council to approve guidelines for commercial quadricycles - with on-board drinking allowed - so his fleet of the pedaled vehicles, modeled after the classic Jeep CJ, can hit the streets." more
Seattle Tops Lst of Most Bike-Friendly Cities
WA - "...Analysts measured the number of miles of protected bike lanes in the city and tallied up the number of rental listings that mentioned bike storage." more...
How Did 9,000 Trail Users Impact Northeast Communities?
"Over the past 10 years, RTC has implemented 20-plus rail-trail surveys in Pennsylvania and New Jersey to determine just how much of an impact trail users have had on the region..." more
Bear bites Appalachian Trail Hiker
Gatlinburg, TN - "A hiker says he was bitten by a bear as he slept along the Appalachian Trail in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park." more...
- CA: Bike to Work Day brings out 2-wheel commuters
- PA: Riverfront Trails, Offices And Green Spaces Planned
- NC: Cross Charlotte Trail could one day link to Ballantyne
- WA: Capitol Hill, Central Seattle lose in updated bike master plan
- D.C.: D.C. Poised to Strike Down Law That Blames Cyclists
- CA: San Mateo Launches a Bike Share System on Bike to Work Day
- OR: New 'Tuff Curb' to create physical separation for bikeways
- OR: More bike projects in the works
- NY: Mayor Overrides Community Board To Build Bike Lanes On "Boulevard Of Death"
Towpath Detour in Akron
Akron, OH - "In this video, the Akron Waterways Renewed! communications team shows viewers the new route of the Towpath Trail during construction of the Ohio Canal Interceptor Tunnel."
New Bike Lanes, Improvements on Scranton Road
Cleveland, OH - "On Monday, May 9th the City of Cleveland began resurfacing operations on Carter Road..." more
Bolivar Awards Contract for Towpath Trail Phase 2
Washington Cop Attacks Girl for Riding Bike
WA - "A Washington police officer who is responsible for training other officers was caught on video physically abusing a 15-year-old girl, then claiming she had attacked him." more...
Dunwoody Installs Pedestrian Scramble
GA - "A unique type of crosswalk is helping pedestrians scramble between two new parks in the city of Dunwoody." more...
How Can Cities Move More People Without Wider Streets?
"How can cities make more efficient use of street space, so more people can get where they want to go?" more...
Trikes, Electric Bikes, Cruisers fill Boise Cycling Niches
ID - "A ride on the Greenbelt, or a tour through a local bike shop, shows a seemingly endless variety of bikes." more...
- VA: Liberty University student dies while hiking with friends
- CA: Final section of Lake Tahoe bike trail to break ground
- AUS: Cairns council approves trio of cycling plans
- GA: New trail connects two parks
- CO: Broomfield City Council moves to be part of Rocky Mountain Greenway
- CO: Broomfield, Jeffco give conditional nod to Rocky Flats trail grant
- NY: Bike lanes are squeezing motorists to make room for the 1.6 percent
- CA: Sacramento student's pitch pays off with bike lanes
- OR: Protected bike lane boom: 9 city projects will have physical separation
- WA: Seattle's stranded biking families
- NJ: Retired N.J. cop dies from injuries sustained inUnity Tour bike crash
- OR: Community Cycling Center gets $75,000 grant to offer cheaper bike share memberships
Section of Bike & Hike Trail Closing
Stow, OH - "A .6-mile section of the Bike & Hike Trail, between Sowul Boulevard and Norton Road in Stow, will be closed beginning May 16. The closure is expected to be in effect until early 2017." more...
Freedom Trail Extension Approved
Akron, OH - "...Summit Metro Parks on Tuesday approved spending nearly $2.7 million to extend the trail two miles from Eastwood Avenue in North Akron to near the University of Akron campus at the Mill Street Trailhead." more...
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
With $300K Yanked from Riverfront Commons, What's Next?
KY - "One of the casualties of Governor Matt Bevin's veto pen was $300,000 that was expected go towards Riverfront Commons, the recreational trail system being developed along Northern Kentucky's River Cities." more...
- MN: Lake County proposes mountain bike trail system along North Shore
- WI: Man flashes gun at woman on bike trail
- MN: New Bike Path Built
- CA: Monterey wants you to ride your bike to work this week
- MN: Area residents will finally see a completed East Cannon River Trail
- GA: Riverwalk Phase 4 Groundbreaking
- CA: Protected Bike Lanes On Telegraph Avenue Open In Oakland
- OR: East Portland's Gateway district could be bike-friendliest in the city
- WA: Person biking critically injured in collision
Middletown's River Center Project Moves Forward
Artists Selected for Towpath Archway, Mural
New Central Parkway Bikeway Report
Cincinnati, OH - "A new version of a report on the Central Parkway bike lane remains largely unchanged from the original, which was issued in late March, with one exception..." more
Development Becomes City's First Bicycle Friendly Residential Destination
Cincinnati, OH - "One of Pendleton's newest multi-family residential developments has not only saved a historic structure from the wrecking ball, but it has also become one of the city's most bicycle friendly destinations in the process." more...
Keeping Cyclists and Dogs Safe
Washington County, OH - "...Deputies want you to know if don't restrain your dog, you can face a $150 fine and even jail time." more...
75 Bicyclists Sneak onto closed Viaduct for Night Ride
Seattle, WA - "About 75 cyclists Thursday night realized the dreams of many pedalheads: A relatively flat, wide-open ride through downtown Seattle, with stunning views of Puget Sound and not a car in sight." more...
City Planners tap into Wealth of Cycling Data from Strava
"Sheila Lyons recalls the way Oregon used to collect data on how many people rode bikes..." more
Woody Allen Opposes Upper East Side Bike Lanes
NYC - "Woody Allen may be respected in the filmmaking community, but when it comes to the cycling scene, he's not a favorite..." more
New Plan would add 525-KM of Bike Routes
Toronto, CAN - "...The plan... identifies 525 km of new bike lanes, cycle tracks, trails and other routes that, if built, would create the kind of connected network Toronto's bike advocates have long pushed for." more...
- FL: UF portion of cross-county bike trail opens
- IA: New Des Moines bike map
- MN: Car on Midtown Greenway
- NY: Something New in Ossining - the Sing Sing Kill Greenway!
- GA: Alpharetta rolls out bike share program
- FRA: Paris Kicks Off Monthly Car-Free Sundays on the Champs-Elysees
- UK: London's New Mayor Pledges to Accelerate Cycling Progress
- KY: Covington Celebrates Unveiling of Region's First Parklets
- OR: Better Broadway is off and running
- CA: Bay Bridge Bike Path Will Be Completed by September
Fulton County Looks to Improve Wabash Cannonball Trail
Fulton County, OH - "...The park district has applied for a state grant that would cover about 95 percent of the estimated $2.8 million cost to improve 10 miles west of the Lucas-Fulton county line." more...
The Growing Movement for a U.S.-Mexico Border Bike Lane
"As the crossing at San Ysidro-Tijuana undergoes a major expansion, advocates are pushing for more cycling infrastructure throughout the border zone." more...
Buildings Get Bike Friendly
"...It was the bike rooms, one in each of the towers, located not in a shadowy basement but right on the ground level, with big windows letting in abundant light." more...
- PA: Bicycle count to analyze impact, pattern of added lanes in Pittsburgh
- IL: Why the Major Taylor isn't as well-known - or used
- MD: Bicycle study for Hagerstown recommends new trail
- PA: Bike & Ped friendliness are big factors in home marketability
- CA: Cycling safety a Long Beach priority
- MN: N. Mankato solidifying sidewalk, trail plans
- NY: Hearing Planned for Saranac River Trail Greenway
Group Clears Paths in Poland Municipal Forest
Poland, OH - "...Mentzer was among six Rust Belt Revival Trail Coalition members who spent much of Saturday morning reclaiming, rerouting and clearing portions or all of several trails that meander through the 265-acre wooded area." more...
Metroparks Eyeing Projects with new Levy Funds
Ashtabula, OH - "With about $850,000 in new annual levy funding, the Ashtabula County Metroparks board is looking forward to reviewing several potential projects at parks around the county." more...
Strava Used to Ban Cyclists from Trails
CA - "... the proposed ban was bolstered by looking at the riders Strava data and some are now saying that a worrying precedent has been set." more...
- IN: Part of Elkhart bike trail connection could be completed by Fourth of July
- MT: Helena Trail Rider offering longer season and new bike trailer
- IL: County to apply for more Route 66 trail funds
The Feds Just Made It Easier to Fit Bike Lanes on Streets
"A large car is less than seven feet wide. But thanks in part to an obscure federal rule, millions of miles of traffic lanes on local streets around the country are 12 or more feet wide." more...
Durango Bans Pedal-Assist Bikes on Trails
CO - "...The city has banned the bikes whether or not the motor is engaged, said Cathy Metz, Parks and Recreation director." more...
Using Stress Maps to Identify Gaps in the Bike Network
"Here's an interesting way to evaluate how well a street network works for biking." more...
Why Biking to School is Banned In Some Areas
"In light of national Bike to School Day, what can we do for kids in areas where commuting by bike is banned?" more...
- AL: Rotary Trail opens to public weeks after ribbon cutting
- KS: Dedication Ceremony Planned For Redbud Bike Trail
- MI: Bike trail project grows to 16 miles
- PA: LHVA seeks grant to close trail gaps, build Scranton bike lanes
- NM: County to explore urban bike path
- NY: Brooklyn's 21-Acre Greenway Inches Forward
- NC: Residents Speak Against Bolin Creek Greenway
- NJ: Clifton bike paths questioned
- KY: Covington's Shotgun Houses
- OR: 'Better Broadway' trial aims for better shopping environment
- OR: Vancouver BC doubles biking rates in four years, likely passing Portland
- WA: SDOT backpedals even further on already-slashed bike plan
- OR: New 'Bike to Books' initiative brings bike-themed storytimes to Portland libraries
Public Meeting about linking Trails in Mahoning County
Canfield, OH - "...That addition would start where the trail ends now, on Western Reserve Road in Canfield, and continue along an old railroad line to the Columbiana County border in Washingtonville." more...
Planning Underway for Downtown Bike Hub
Columbus, OH - "Planning is underway by the City of Columbus on a bike hub that would be located on the first floor of the new city parking garage being built at the northwest corner of Front and Long streets downtown." more...
New Scioto Grove Metro Park opens Friday
Franklin County, OH - "...Scioto Grove, which will celebrate its grand opening at 10 a.m. Friday, is the system's 19th park. It has more than 7 miles of trails, two picnic areas, a playground and five overlook decks situated along the river." more...
D.C. Consults with Dutch Planners Regarding Bike Infrastructure
D.C. - "In late April, Dutch cycling experts met with DC area planners, engineers, and feds to look at cycling conditions in the West End neighborhood..." more
How to Heal Divides Left By Urban Highways
"...Yesterday the [US DOT] announced the Every Place Counts Design Challenge, which asks cities to submit proposals for 'reconnecting' communities 'bifurcated' by transportation infrastructure..." more...
Do You Legally Have to Ride Single File?
"Well, it depends. Generally, bicycle safety laws regarding two-up riding can be classified into three types." more...
- MA: Dover Moves Forward With Controversial 2.7-Mile-Long Bike Path
- VA: Planning underway for more bike commuting paths
- LA: Downtown Greenway breaks ground on Thursday
- PA: South Bethlehem Greenway to soon tie in to Saucon Park
- MT: Whitefish has tapped WGM Group to create its Bike/Ped Plan
- CO: BikeDenver Demands Long-Term Funding for Citywide Bike Network
- OR: After Clinton diverters, most people who bike say it's much improved
- WA: Now is time to ride Snoqualmie Valley Trail in eastern King County
Defiance City Council Approves Grant Application for Bike Path
Defiance, OH - "Defiance City Council approved a grant application during its meeting Tuesday night to help build a bicycle path to Independence Dam State Park." more...
How to Use the Left-Turn Boxes at Cleveland Ave. & Spring St.
Columbus, OH - "Had a chance to use one the new two stage turn boxes for bicyclists?" more...
Pulaski Bridge Bike Path Open in NYC
New Bikeshare Data Standard opens doors for Apps & Analysis
"After years of messy, inconsistent bikeshare data, a new standard has emerged to unite major systems." more...
Bike Accidents: Blaming the Victims
"When sussing out blame at the scene of bike accidents, most police officers are motorists, and many see the world from that perspective." more...
- OR: Horse riders damage mountain bike trail at Silver Falls
- AL: Hikers found after getting lost on trail
- CAN: Greenway improvement funding approved despite some protest
- OR: Greenway trail link might wait decades if Tesla plan goes through
- MI: Ford's better idea for Dearborn
- CO: Boulder B-cycle bike-sharing program sees ridership nearly double
- OR: Bike traffic on Williams Avenue is bonkers right now
- IRE: Ryanair's Michael O'Leary says cyclists should be 'shot''
- POL: Dutch rider in critical condition after suffering double heart attack
Bike Lanes Removed from North Cory St. Plan
Findlay, OH - "North Cory Street in Findlay will not get the bike [lanes] that were originally part of the downtown Findlay Transportation Alternative Plan." more...
Cincy Cycle Club Newsletter
Cincinnati, OH - Read the latest edition.
Crowdfunding Raises More Money Than Needed to Extend Trail
Middleville, MI - "...The crowdfunding campaign was designed to raise the matching funds needed for a $10,000 state grant that will complete a 0.9-mile stretch of trail..." more
Safe Routes to School Newsletter
Read the May edition.
Careful Jaywalking Saves Lives
"...Drivers hit pedestrians when turning more often than when they are driving straight ahead. At a red light, drivers who are about to turn wait alongside pedestrians. The changing signal sends both into the intersection at the same time - maximizing the opportunities for collisions." more...
Cougar Charges at Hikers on Blackcomb Mountain Trail
CAN - "When the hair on her dog Dazy's back stood up, Lauren Sampson figured there must be a bear nearby." more...
- AL: New trailhead to open at Oak Park
- PA: Popular Moon Lake Park bike trail damaged by timbering
- SD: Woman suffers severe injuries on bike trail
- MO: Jackson County gets land to make new hike & bike trails
- UK: Police investigate cases of wires being strung across busy bike path
- CT: Griswold hopes to turn land along Quinebaug River into walk/hike trails
- WA: Cyclists Will Pay to Park at Seattle's New Light Rail Stations
- SC: West Ashley bridge bike lane fails the test
- CA: L.A. ordered to pay $23.7 million in 'dangerous intersection' death
- MN: Police ticket drivers who fail to yield for pedestrians
- OR: Better Block launches its biggest summer yet
- WA: Bike trips from West Seattle spike 80 percent Monday, crushing record
- WA: Support John Wayne Pioneer Trail at meetings in May
Hamilton Bike Path Project wants Regional Backing
Hamilton, OH - "...The inclusion of the proposed $7.49 million Hamilton Beltline Recreational Trail project in OKI's master plan is necessary in order for it to be eligible for future federal funding." more...
Temporary Detour Around Damaged Towpath Bridge
Akron, OH - A detour is open! more...
Cadiz Trail Receives $400K
Cadiz, OH - "...The trail, which is slated to receive $400,000 in the capital appropriations bill, would link the new kindergarten through grade 12 complex that Harrison Hills City Schools will be building on state Route 9 south of Cadiz with the Belmont College-Harrison County Center, the Harrison County Fairgrounds, Sally Buffalo Park lodge and amphitheater, boys and girls baseball and softball fields, the Harrison Hills athletic field house and neighborhoods in Cadiz." more...
Richland B&O Trail Needs Volunteers
Yay Bikes! Newsletter
Read the May edition.
AAA Offers 'Bike Breakdown' Service
Columbus, OH - "... AAA of Ohio is now offering a new service to it's members if your bike breaks down far away from home." more...
Tell USDOT that People are What Should Count in Transportation
"...in the newest batch of proposed performance measures, the USDOT is saying that what matters is moving as many cars as quickly as possible - and that people walking, bicycling, and taking transit aren't even worth counting." more...
Cycling Booming in London
"Boris Johnson says that one of his goals as mayor of London was to make cycling 'more popular and more normal.' As Johnson's eight-year tenure winds down, it looks like the progress he made in his second term has accomplished that mission." more...
- IA: Is Storm Lake ripe for destination trail?
- VT: Vermont Trail Projects Receive Over $500,000 in Grants
- IN: Two Ohio River Greenway segments to open for construction bids soon
- TX: Dallas Starts to Count Walkers and Bikers
- MI: Country's Largest Bike-Share Operator Now Making Its Bikes In Detroit
- NYC: The Pulaski Bridge Bikeway Is Open and It's Magnificent
- OR: Bicycle rider ticketed for running red light and 'careless driving'
- WA: 2nd Ave bike counter unveiling kicks off Bike Month
- WA: Missing Link claims another victim
- NM: Deputies arrest man in Albuquerque high-end bike theft ring
Thief Rides off on $2,000 Bike
Columbus, OH - "Investigators are looking for a man who swiped a specialized bicycle from outside a north Columbus bank." more...
Chemical Dumping Results in Fish Kill
Canton, OH - "The Bolivar Dam is partially closed as authorities work to protect the Tuscarawas River from chemicals that reportedly killed several thousand fish..." more
Bicyclists Getting One Sweet Ride across Schuylkill
PA - "...This summer, PennDot's new Sullivan's Bridge - a $9.2 million, 14-foot-wide, pedestrian/cyclist river crossing built in the footprint of the Betzwood - will open..." more
Hiker Found Dead in Denali National Park
AK - "...authorities believe he fell and suffered a fatal head injury." more...
- NZ: North Carolina pair survive 5 days in New Zealand wilderness
- VA: Wildfire at Shenandoah National Park fully contained
- NC: Developer who wants more sizzle on city greenways is on the right path
- PA: City may upgrade railroad crossing to South Side bike trail
- MS: Pontotoc becoming Hub for Tanglefoot Trail Bike Path
- FRA: Paris Introduces Car-Free Sundays
- TX: Dallas-Fort Worth planners see economic pluses of pedestrians
Mt. Vernon Trails Connection Nearly Complete
The Rise of American Protected Bike Lanes
"...Until you've seen with your own eyes a full network of protected bike lanes... a city where bikes are the vehicle of choice for most short trips sounds like 'something out of science fiction'..." more...
- MN: Lake County plans 50-mile mountain-biking trail
- MI: Moross Greenway Project working hard to clean up Detroit
- GA: Route altered for path linking park, greenway in northwest Forsyth
Beavercreek Considers Flashing Beacon Technology
New Mile Markers Coming to Hockhocking Adena Trail
Riverfront Commons Progress will slow after Bevin's Veto
KY - "The 11-mile trail on Northern Kentucky's riverfront known as Riverfront Commons will take longer to complete after Gov. Matt Bevin vetoed $300,000 over the next two years for the project." more...
$21M Project links 20 miles of Detroit Pathways
MI - "A $21 million project linking 20 miles of walking, running and biking paths in Detroit has wrapped up as part of an effort to boost recreation activities, better connect redeveloping neighborhoods and spur growth." more...
Driver Who Ran Cyclists Off Glendale Road Charged With Assault
CA - "A driver caught on video using his car to assault a pair of cyclists in Glendale has been charged with assault with a deadly weapon..." more
- CA: Hikers hope to preserve forest trails
- UT: Open house regarding possible Ogden Canyon trail stirs emotions
- WI: Bike lane expansion runs into opposition
- NY: $16M pedestrian route would link BU, downtown
- NC: Residents see spike in snakes along Little Sugar Creek Greenway
- MA: Boston Wants to Lower Its Speed Limit to 20 MPH - But Can't
- OR: A vision for traffic diverters
- WA: Pronto will increase free ride time
- New England: Amtrak to Offer Carry-On Bike Service
Towpath Bridge Arson Investigation Continues
Akron, OH - "As the investigation into an intentionally set bridge fire on the Towpath Trail continues, local officials are working to create an alternate route and looking into reconstructing the structure." more...
Athens Commissioners Receive Rail Corridor Donation
Mineral, OH - "Waterloo Twp. has donated former railroad right-of-way to the Athens County Commissioners that could eventually become part of a link between the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway and the Moonville Rail-Trail..." more
Towpath Trail Receives $250K Green Infrastructure Grant
Cleveland, OH - "...The funds will go towards the creation of wetlands, bioretention cells and a detention basin within Stage 3 of the Towpath Trail Extension Project. These green infrastructure elements will remove stormwater from the combined sewer system, treat stormwater drainage and reduce run off pollution to the Cuyahoga River." more...
Medina County Gearing up for Better Bicycle Map
OH - "Medina County is home to a network of bicycle paths, but without signage, the routes are often unclear or unknown, according to County Commissioner Tim Smith." more...
Piqua City Manager Gives State of the City Address
Piqua, OH - "...The various awards and recognition that the city has received are a product of both its everyday operations and big-picture goals..." more
10 Ways the U.S. Bicycle Route System Benefits America
"...Here are the top 10 ways that the U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS) benefits everyone in America." more...
- AFG: Women's Cycling in Afghanistan Hits the Roadblock of Corruption
- MI: Dequindre Cut extension opens this weekend
- CAN: Completion of seawall to Spanish Banks
- WI: Eau Claire looks to make the city more bike friendly
- CAN: 40 Avenue bike lane gives way to new, neighbourhood vision
- PA: Pennsylvania DCNR Encourages Residents to try Cycling
- OR: Man says he was doored intentionally
- WA: 2nd Ave bike lane is now permanent
- CA: Hey, L.A. drivers: Don't honk at bike riders
- MI: Bank robber on bicycle caught 40 miles away from heist
Bike Trail Relocation Stalled in Lebanon
Lebanon, OH - "A split city council delayed - for at least a week - a decision on the purchase of a sliver of land needed to relocate a stretch of the local bike path in Lebanon." more...
Police Seek Hit-n-Run Driver
Mount Healthy, OH - "...The 38-year-old male bicyclist was taken to Mercy West Hospital with a leg injury after the crash..." more
Putting Akron's Roads on a Diet
Akron, OH - "...Segedy, Akron's relatively new director of planning and urban development, is on a mission to help the city's diverse neighborhoods attract and keep residents by becoming more livable, walkable and bikeable..." more
6-Year-Old Boy Riding Bike hit by Car
Akron, OH - "A 6-year-old Tallmadge boy is in critical condition after being hit by a car while he rode his bike." more...
Razo Gets Life Sentence
Painesville, OH - "...Razo earlier tried to rape a 14-year-old girl at a county park. He later shot and wounded a woman walking with her children on a bike path..." more
New Exercise Equipment, Trail Paving at Southerly Park
Shaker Heights, OH - "A new cluster of exercise equipment awaits installation along the Southerly Park fitness trail, which will also see some repaving." more...
CVNP Tourism Brings $203M in Economic Benefits
CVNP, OH - "A new National Park Service report shows that in 2015 2.3 million visitors to Cuyahoga Valley National Park spent $144 million in communities near the park. That spending supported 2,415 jobs in the local area and had a cumulative benefit to the local economy of $203 million." more...
Deplorable Conditions on Colorado Springs Trail
CO - "...There are probably 50 tents in the 4-mile stretch with trash everywhere. What's more, the squatters let us know that we were invading their turf." more...
- ID: Lack of funds sinks new bike trail
- NY: Historic bike trail pitched
- CAN: Kelowna woman assaulted while jogging along Mission Greenway
- MA: Council approves measure to drop city speed limit to 20 m.p.h.
- WA: Cyclists unhappy with Seattle bike plan
- OR: State Police hand out 317 tickets and 273 warnings in 48 hours
- OR: Columbia County looks to embrace cycling
- CA: Misusing bike lanes in San Francisco
- ID: Boise boy's mangled bike used in motorist training sessions
Women Groped on Creekside Trail
Beavercreek, OH - "...The suspect has been described as a white male in his 20's with sandy blond or brown hair. He has a thin build with a pale complexion and something unusual about his cheek or jawline, according to victim reports." more...
Read another article on this topic.
$1K Reward Offered in Towpath Arson Case
Akron, OH - "Councilman Mike Freeman, who represents Ward 9, has offered a $1,000 reward for anyone providing information leading to the arrest and conviction of the individual who torched a wooden Towpath Trail bridge in South Akron." more...
Open House Explores Two-Way Main Street
Cincinnati, OH - "...Tomorrow, April 27th, the City's DOTE will host its third open house regarding the possibility of converting Main Street from one-way to two-way traffic..." more
CVNP Plans for New Visitors Center
CVNP, OH - "As the Cuyahoga Valley National Park has attracted more visitors from out of state, a corresponding need has grown for a full-service visitor center..." more
Chardon Police Department Puts Officers on Bikes
Chardon, OH - "A different kind of lawman just rode into Chardon." more...
Help Make Cycling in Ohio Safer
"The Three Foot Rule makes our streets safer and saves lives. Every year, Ohio bicyclists experience an unnecessary and avoidable number of fatalities due to collisions with motor vehicles..." more
Feds Performacne Measures Ignore Biking
"The measures proposed in this rule focus on single occupancy vehicles, how reliable their trips are, and how much delay they experience. None of the proposed measures include anything about non-motorized travel..." more
Amsterdam Is Appointing a Bike Mayor
"This summer, Amsterdam will go one step further to cement its reputation as the most bike-friendly city on the planet, appointing the world's first ever bicycle mayor." more...
- FL: DOJ Releases Bike Citation Racial Disparity Report
- IRE: Cyclist lucky to escape neck-high barbed wire 'booby trap'
- MA: Bronze animal heads now line Bostonâ€™s Greenway
- CO: Tunnel, bridge access to Rocky Flats coming under fire
- WA: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Thurston County
- OK: Students help prove that bike lanes work along Tulsa's 11th Street
- NC: Downtown Raleigh plazas have a new look
- WA: Seeking justice for lives struck down
- AUS: Sydney riders reflect on the New South Wales cycling law changes
- MI: Kalamazoo officer buys boy bike after his was stolen
Cincinnati Sues over Purple People Bridge
Cincinnati, OH - "The city of Cincinnati has filed an 11-page lawsuit against Newport, the state of Kentucky and others in an attempt to force repairs to the Purple People Bridge that spans the Ohio River." more...
Cincy Needs Bike Lanes
Cincinnati, OH - "...Our real-world family excursion one Wednesday on RedBikes made it clear -- Cincinnati needs dedicated bike lanes..." more
Pickaway Parks Receive Improvement Grants
Pickaway County, OH - "Six parks in Pickaway County will see much-needed facility improvements thanks to $4,900 in grants handed out by the Park District..." more
Towpath Times Newsletter
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Woman Attacked on Popular Jogging Trail
TX - "...The woman says she was riding her bike when she was assaulted." more...
Bikes Almost Roll in the way of Buses, Trains in Close-Call Videos
Portland, OR - "Sometimes we all make mistakes. TriMet wants more people to think about the fact that some mistakes can be fatal." more...
Dutch City Takes Protected Bike Intersections Further
"...Eindhoven installed flashing LED lights at several street crossings to alert drivers to approaching cyclists." more...
The Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Investment Act
"...Congress has created a breakthrough financing tool for communities ready and willing to connect and accelerate the completion of their trail and active-transportation networks..." more
How to Make Custom Routes with Offline Maps
"Saving maps offline can save you a whole lot of trouble. But not every app has all the offline abilities you might want or need, especially if you're a cyclist." more...
- MI: Bike and pedestrian trail gets $25K from Consumers Energy
- IL: Repair sites along 606 trail to provide free bike aid
- CT: Simsbury Free Bike Program Returns For Sixth Season
- TN: Sinkhole, other complications drive up S. Knoxville greenway costs
- FL: Tampa Bay urban planners design more greenways, trails for future
- IRE: Dublin city cyclists to trial new lanes inside parked cars
- FL: Redesigning the Iconic Thoroughfare at the Heart of Little Havana
- US: Transportation Secretary Foxx visits three 'Smart Cities'
- AZ: 2 injured after motorcycle and bike crash
- BRA: Anger Grows Over Rio Bike Path Failure
- WA: New 520 bike path scheduled for May opening
Bike Rentals Coming to Metro Parks Greenway
NOACA's Next Long-Range Plan Not All About Cars
Cleveland, OH - "Northeast Ohio's top transportation planning agency is preparing a new, 20-year vision for the region that will focus on improving social equity, particularly for households without cars." more...
Cyclists Encouraged to Explore Area Along Detroit River
MI - "A partnership between the U.S. and Canada is encouraging people to use bikes to explore both sides of the Detroit River." more...
Building a Bikeable City for All
"As bicycle advocacy evolves and municipalities invest more in making way for riders, bike equity must be more than a conversation." more...
The Simplest Way to Avoid Bad Street Design
"Models matter. Let's design more streets like the streets we already love." more...
- CAN: New Bike Trail Connects Confederation College to OMCIP
- NE: 'Bicycle Sunday' Encourages Kearney Residents To Use Trail System
- TN: Wolf River Greenway Expands
- MA: Shawsheen River greenway expands
- GER: Germany Puts Traffic Lights on the Ground
The Magic Bike -- Part 2
"...Many law-makers and law enforcement officers are also confounded as to where e-bikes fit in. Are they motorized vehicles that belong on the road with cars -- or still bikes?" more...
Hundreds Spruce up Middletown
Middletown, OH - "The city of Middletown got a spring cleaning Saturday, with more than 200 people participating in Keep Middletown Beautiful's annual effort to spruce up various parts of the city." more...
US Bike Route Facilities By The Numbers
"One thing cyclists like to know before setting out on a bicycle tour is what kinds of facilities their route uses -- off-road trails, county roads, city streets, rural highways, or sometimes even interstate highways." more...
- MN: Township boards wary of long-term trail costs
- UT: Hyrum working with Cache County to extend trail
Monroe to Consider Parks and Recreation Plan
Monroe, OH - "Establishing a true parks and recreation department, implementing programs and building one of the missing links on the regional bike trail were key components of Monroe's new Parks and Recreation master plan." more...
Bike, Pedestrian-Friendly Cities are worth the Fight
"Bicycle lanes and plazas that take up space previously used by cars are controversial at first, but once people see that "carmageddon" doesn't result - and there are actual benefits for people and businesses..." more
Trail Users Help Kill Anti-Bike/Ped Bill
TN - "...For the past two months, RTC worked with Bike Walk Tennessee to fight two companion bills in the House and Senate that would have stripped the ability of the state and local communities to use gas tax revenue for non-automobile, non-highway projects, including bike lanes, recreational trails and greenways..." more
- CA: Authorities rescue mountain biker near Laguna Beach trail
- MN: Pine Island bike program gets pumped for summer
- MT: Stevensville bike path trees to be removed for transmission lines
Crowdfunding Effort to Repair Burned Towpath Bridge
Philly Expands Bike-Share Program
PA - "...Kenney admitted to being surprised by the success of the program, which by the end of 2015 reported 8,300 memberships and 421,000 rides taken." more...
The Why, Where and How of Adding Bike-Share Stations
"Smart bike-share choices can make a new docking station a natural partner to trips by foot or transit, whereas poorly positioned stations can contribute to crippling a whole system..." more
Fake Jaywalking Tickets for Kids
Louisville, KY - "...In Louisville, where the pedestrian fatality rate is higher than average, a city agency called Bike Louisville will be using grant funds on a safety education program that issues fake jaywalking citations to kids..." more
- CA: Money trickles in for bike path cameras near Chico State
- OR: Metro Council backs mountain biking trails north of Forest Park
- NH: Latest phase of Londonderry Rail Trail nears completion
- MA: Canopy-walk bridge joins Greenway at Mattapan
- FL: 6-acre wildfire contained near Baseline trailhead
- OR: City, state sued for unsafe road design in death of Martin Greenough
- WA: Cascade calls for more bike/walk station access funds in ST3
- OR: Crash victims in limbo as police records backlog swells to six months
- BRA: Bike lane falls in Brazil Olympic city, killing at least 2
ODOT, AAP Distributing Free Bike Helmets
Columbus, OH - "...More than 10,000 bicycle helmets will be distributed this year as part of the Ohio AAP's 'Put a Lid on It!' bike helmet safety awareness campaign..." more
Bike Panel Gives Ideas for Safer Streets
Bowling Green, OH - "The wheels continued to turn on the city's Complete Streets efforts Tuesday as Bowling Green's Bicycle Safety Commission met with City Engineer Jason Sisco." more...
Rebecca Billings Testimony
NE OH - "In September 2015, a group of cyclists from the Akron Bicycle Club were legally riding eastbound on Snowville Road in Brecksville when they were struck by Timothy Wolf who was making an illegal left hand turn in his truck by failing to yield to oncoming traffic. Matthew Billings was killed instantly, while Jim Lambert succumbed to his injuries days later. The City of Brecksville filed charges against Mr. Wolf who claimed he could not see because of sun glare. Despite his obvious negligence and an outgoing text occurring at 7:08pm (the same minute of the crash), the jury acquitted him of all charges." more...
'No Helmet, No Bike' Keeps Kids Safe
Dayton, OH - "Last year, Dayton Children's emergency department treated almost 400 children for injuries related to bicycle accidents..." more...
Increased Trail Violence Could end Kids Bike Camp
Portland, OR - "An increase of homelessness and violence along the metro area's Springwater Corridor trails could mean the end of a poplar kid's biking camp, the group's director announced Monday." more...
Growing Wildfire Burns in Shenandoah National Park
Luray, VA - "A fire in Shenandoah National Park in Virginia has burned through more than 5,600 acres and closed a portion of the Appalachian Trail." more...
Protecting Bike Lanes can cut the Cost of New Roads
"As protected bike lanes arrive in American suburbs, some city builders are making an unexpected discovery." more...
Bicycle-Dependent Urban Expansion
"There's a lot of excitement around urban cycling these days. According to the 2015 Menino Survey of Mayors in the US, 70 percent of them would take lane space from driving and parking and reallocate it for bicycling..." more
- CA: Suspicious chemical shuts down Valencia bike trail
- NV: Public hearing set for $27 million Lake Tahoe bike path project
- CA:Long Beach's Bike Master Plan Could Include More Than People Realize
- MT: Trail work east of Missoula in full swing
- PA: Philly Mayor: Tax Soda to Pay for Bikeways
- MO: Pedestrians, drivers misusing crosswalks
Park District to Acquire Canal Land
Paulding, OH - "Nearly 200 hundred acres of Miami Canal property in Paulding County may soon be under Paulding County Parks District management." more...
The Newest View of the Cuyahoga River
Cleveland, OH - "The newest view of the Cuyahoga River in Downtown Cleveland is in the footprint of Canal Basin Park." more...
Our Infrastructure Fails Seniors Who Don't Drive
"In 10 years time, 55 million U.S. citizens will be over 65 years of age. Most of them (over 75%) will live outside cities, in rural and suburban areas. And if they can't drive, they're screwed..." more...
- IL: Lake County offers bike trails for recreational, commuter rides
- SD: Experts to tackle mountain-bike dispute
- SC: New project will make Myrtle Beach more bicyclist friendly
- CT: New Section in the Works for Shoreline Greenway Trail
- HI: Final piece of greenway almost set to be built
- WA: Seattle Scales Back Implementation of Bike Plan
- WA: Man biking in Bellevue catches his own scary hit and run on video
Fire Damage Closes Towpath Bridge
Pedestrian Bridges to be Improved
Oakley, OH - "...The Oakley Community Council is working with the city to improve the condition and aesthetics of the pedestrian bridge on Madison Road..." more
Hollingsworth Racing again to Remember Hoffman
Nashport, OH - "...Brad Hollingsworth and his friend Brenda Hoffman were midway through a planned 20-mile bike ride, traveling single file north on Ohio 60, when a van swerved to the right." more...
Bike Cleveland E-News
Read the latest edition.
Foxx to Visit Copenhagen Next Week
"The US secretary of transportation, Anthony Foxx, will visit Copenhagen next week as part of an inspirational trip to see how the capital caters to its many cyclists." more...
Doctor Struck, Killed while Cycling
KY - "A well-known Lexington cardiologist was hit and killed while he was riding his bicycle Sunday afternoon in Bourbon County." more...
A New Way to Measure Road Safety
"...Traditionally, road safety analysis has relied on historical data of actual crashes. However, the drawback of this 'crash-based approach' is that it is reactive - we have to wait for crashes to occur in order to prevent them..." more
- D.C.: A safer bike ride through Rock Creek Park is on the way
- IA: Davenport invests in on-road bike lanes
- CAN: Politicians peddle improvements to Niagara bike paths
- KY: Louisville's New Goal: Reduce Driving
- TN: Chattanooga's cycling scene continues to grow
- EU: Eight per cent of all 2015 EU road deaths were cyclists
- WA: Arena plan would build pedestrian bridge for Holgate
Forest Service & Bike Club Working on MTB Trail Plan
Athens, OH - "A plan to construct a 50-mile mountain-bike trail system on Wayne National Forest land near Chauncey is in the early stages of development." more...
Trail-Side Camping Opens for Cyclists
London, OH - "...Although more work will be done to the camping area during the next few weeks, two raised wooden tent decks are installed." more...
The Gospel of Overnight Bike Lanes
"...SDOT took the Second Avenue project from design to installation in just four months..." more
Local Greenway Gets State-Wide Recognition
VA - "...The Luray Hawksbill Greenway Trail just won a gold medal at the 2016 Governor's Environmental Excellence Awards." more...
- UT: Section of Bonneville Shoreline Trail still in the works
- CAN: 6 municipalities in SW Ontario receive funding to improve cycling
- MT: Bozeman-Belgrade bike path advocates rack up signatures
- CA: San Rafael medics will get mountain bikes
- NY: Sing Sing Kill Greenway Gets Going
- CAN: City's crosswalk bright idea could go continent-wide
Southern Hemisphere's Longest Bike Tunnel Re-Opens
NZ - "A historic Nelson train tunnel closed for more than half a century has reopened, becoming the southern hemisphere's longest cycle tunnel, after shutting amid fierce protests in 1955." more...
Police Start 'Dude, Where's My Bike' Campaign
IA - "A local police department want to return stolen or misplaced bicycles to their owners." more...
- IN: Foundation to fund new stretch of trails
- IN: New trail connects Waynedale to River Greenway
- NC: Connect Enka plans walkability assessments for 5 Enka District schools
- VA: Man killed riding bike in West End
Teen Arrested for Groping Cop's Daughter on Towpath
Akron, OH - "...The Coventry Township boy, an eighth-grader, is charged with sexual imposition, a misdemeanor, in Summit County Juvenile Court." more...
City Approves Lakefront Greenway Plan
Cleveland, OH - "The city's Planning Commission on Friday voted unanimously to adopt a plan for an East Side lakefront greenway loop with new connections to neighborhoods." more...
Opening Day for Trails Across the Region & Country
Dayton, OH - "...Locally, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy is hosting events across the Miami Valley to celebrate the kick-off of biking and walking trails for the spring and summer season." more...
Trail Closes for Dam Repairs
Newark, OH - "The bike path along the south side of Ohio 16 will be closed between West Church Street and Cherry Valley Road from now through April 22." more...
NCIT Route Through Fremont Needs Improvement
Fremont, OH - "...There is a marked on-road 'route' to connect the ends of the NCIT through the city. But a route is not a trail, and certainly is not suitable for the vast majority of riders..." more
Could Utahns See Bike Super Highways?
UT - "With the Wasatch Front's population projected to nearly double by 2050, some unusual methods to help handle the resulting extra traffic are now under consideration." more...
Car-Free Streets Drawing Big Crowds
San Antonio, TX - "...This was the tenth Siclovia, which happens twice a year. About 65,000 people came out to bike, jog, Zumba and play along 3.4 miles of streets winding through the heart of the city..." more...
- IL: Yorkville trail has special meaning for family of woman killed while biking
- CO: More trail users in Fruita, and they still all get along
- MI: Pittsfield Township plans $1.5M expansion of its greenway system
- WA: Seattle's baffling short-term bike plan
- TX: Bike Austin pushes for $150 million in bicycle funding
How Safe is Biking in Stark County?
Canton, OH - "...except for new bike lanes in downtown Canton, bicyclists say it can be hazardous biking on many roads in the county that were designed with only cars in mind." more...
$61M for Cuyahoga County Projects
Cleveland, OH - "A lakefront pedestrian bridge and improvements to the Flats East Bank were among the 37 Cuyahoga County projects included in the two-year state capital budget bill." more...
Homicide Charges Filed in Bike Crash
WI - "A Rib Lake woman accused of texting while driving faces homicide charges in connection with the death of a bicyclist last summer." more...
New #FreshKermit Bike Lanes Continue to Sweep Twitter
"...when I started the #freshKermit hashtag with this quick post a few years back, I wasn't thinking of the friendly amphibian riding a velocipede, I just saw those bright green colors in some of our newest NYC bike lanes and, well people remembered." more...
Distracted Driving Awareness Month
"The U.S. Department of Transportation's (USDOT) National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently teamed up with other agencies and activist groups to launch the first Distracted Driving Awareness Month." more...
- IL: Advertising signs could be coming to local bike trails
- CA: New trails planned in redwood forest
- TN:Rep. Carter pulls bill restricting gas tax use for greenways, bike lanes
- VA: Judge finds Roanoke Greenway attacker guilty
- NC: Construction starts on Innovation Quarter greenway
- OR: Exploring biking's potential in the Northwest Industrial District
- NZ: Hotel bans cyclists in Lycra to cut out 'bulges' at breakfast
- AUS: Traveling cyclists rejoice over road bike rentals
- CO: Thief breaks in to nonprofit bike shop, steals cash register
- OK: Man allegedly stealing bike found with gun, shells
New Trail Plan for Cleveland Lakefront
Cleveland, OH - "On Friday, the Cleveland City Planning Commission will hear a proposal to build a pedestrian and bicycle trail that would connect downtown, the lakefront and near east side neighborhoods." more...
Read another article on this topic.
ODOT Says Road is Dangerous, But Won't Lower Speed Limit
Medina, OH - "After a slew of accidents on a five-mile stretch of State Route 18 in Medina County, 476 crashes and nine deaths since 2008, the Ohio Department of Transportation wants to do something about it." more...
Read the latest edition.
Metro Council set for Public Hearing on Tualatin Mountains Plan
OR - "In over 10 years covering bike issues in Portland I had never been to a protest outside Metro headquarters. That changed last week when about two dozen people marched and held up signs in opposition to Metro's plans to build new trails on two parcels in the hills north of Forest Park." more...
- NE: Plan would boost public access to Platte River
- MN: Austin's Red Bike Program to roll out Friday
- ID: Free bike repair stations installed on two trails
- NC: City moves forward with Beaucatcher Greenway
- OR: Hopeful future for neighborhood greenways in northwest Portland
- ID: Driving test now covers bikes, pedestrians
- D.C.: Capital Bikeshare to Offer $5 Memberships
- WA: For the 1st time, 2 neighborhood greenways in Seattle have crossed
Knight Cities Challenge Winners
Akron, OH - "Two Akron winners have been announced in the Knight Cities Challenge, a contest held in the 26 communities once served by Knight-owned newspapers that recognizes ideas to improve their cities." more...
New Jersey Should Kill Bill That Would Jail Peds
NJ - "A Care2 petition is urging New Jersey legislators not to pass a bill that would jail pedestrians for texting while walking on the state's roadways..." more
750-Mile Network Has Sparked a Greater Philly Transformation
PA - "Imagine being able to walk out your door and have the opportunity to bike to work, visit world-class cultural sites, stroll along a wooded pathway for bird watching, go for a morning jog or walk with a friend to Bartram's Garden, the oldest living botanical garden in America - all the while in a safe environment absent of traffic." more...
How Bike Trails Became Philly's Most Valued Amenity
PA - "...now, developers are now opting for bike paths over parking lots..." more
New Active Transportation Leadership Institute
"In conjunction with the Alliance for Biking and Walking, we are happy to announce today the formation of an Active Transportation Leadership Institute, a new program of the League of American Bicyclists..." more
- KY: Park City students want to create walking trail
- MI: Bike the 'burbs on this new inter-city bike route
- CO: Mountain bike park rides into Ruby Hill
- IN: Safety workshop helps Monon Trail users avoid crime, injuries
- MA: Neponset River Greenway skywalk bridge to be installed
- GA: Cobb County approves Braves bridge for $10 million
- CA: Oceanside Road Diet Tests Cityâ€™s New Transportation Vision
- SC: Riders call for speedy completion of West Ashley bike lane
- WA: New bike cage opens at Beacon Hill Station
From Innerbelt to Mountain Bike Park?
Akron, OH - "Highland Square's Jonathan Morschl wants to turn the soon-to-be-vacated Akron Innerbelt into an urban mountain bike park." more...
Where did People Ride Capital Bikeshare during the Metro Shutdown?
D.C. - "The sudden Metrorail shutdown on March 16 took nearly everyone by surprise... it did provide agencies with an opportunity to observe how the other components of the D.C. region's transportation system handled the new demand." more...
Worst U.S. City for Walking Takes Steps for Improvement
OK - "Oklahoma City ranked dead last for walkability in a 2009 study of 500 communities by Prevention magazine and the American Podiatric Medical Association..." more
- CAN: Windsor protesters push for more bike trails, ecotourism
- TX: City Unveils Connector Trail
- GA: Bike share program to roll out this summer with 100 bikes
Multi-Use Trails to Increase Connectivity in Green
Green, OH - "Added connectivity is coming to the city of Green this summer for those wishing to walk or bike through the city. more...
The Best Complete Streets Policies of 2015
"More than 60 communities passed Complete Streets policies in 2015, and these policies are some of the strongest and most effective ever passed..." more
Texas School Bans Walking to School
"Not only does Bear Branch Elementary School in Magnolia ISD prohibit walking to and from school: Montgomery County constables will arrest scofflaws." more...
Regional Trail Users find Common Ground Despite National Controversy
MT - "As wilderness advocates and mountain biking groups spar nationally over allowing bikes in wilderness areas, a regional group of trail advocates does not want to see the controversy derail a local history of productive collaboration." more...
Forest Service Clashes with Mountain Bikers over Unauthorized Trails
SD - "A newly issued Forest Service threat of an aggressive crackdown on unauthorized trail - building in the Black Hills National Forest - including warnings that violations could result in criminal prosecution and even prison time - has ignited a defiant backlash among some area mountain-bikers." more...
Bike-Share Stations in the U.S
"The U.S. has a total of 2,655 bike share stations in 65 cities, according to a new report Bike-Share Stations in the U.S. issued today by the U.S. Department of Transportation's Bureau of Transportation Statistics..." more
- MA: Western New England Greenway set to ride through Lenox
- TX: Yale trail crossing graduates to traffic signal
- PA: Bike trails also are money trails for Berks County
- CAN: We Made More Useful Posters for the TTC's Next Pedestrian Awareness Campaign
Visitors Seek Trail Info in Mt. Vernon
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...Mavis said he received a letter from Carol Grubaugh, executive director of the Chamber of Commerce, citing a number of questions they get from visitors on the trail..." more
Geese Targeted on Scioto Greenways
Columbus, OH - "...Beginning April 15, crews from the service will be down at the park twice a day, removing dead or injured geese... They will also addle, or shake, eggs to limit the population." more...
Bike Shop Opens on Great Miami Trail
Little Miami Scenic Trail Newsletter
Read the latest issue.
Hamilton County's Largest Park is Getting Bigger
OH - "Miami Whitewater Forest is expected to expand by 273 acres this year - and take steps toward one day connecting to the Fernald Preserve." more...
RNC Police Bike Bid goes to Florida Company
Cleveland, OH - "Three hundred police bicycles will be rolling into Cleveland for the Republican National Convention from Florida -- because no local companies put in a bid." more...
Cycling, Walking Trails Blossom in Florida
FL - "...with $25 million rolling into a state program every year, trail activity has blossomed so that wish-list maps depicting state-crossing and multicounty-loop routes stand to become reality even within this decade." more...
- TN: Color & Music Transform Greenway during Chalk the Walk
- VA: WCC celebrates walking trail
- AK: Widow of cyclist killed says family feels victimized by court ruling
- CA: 87-year-old volunteer has bike stolen, new one donated
- PA: Moon Township police chief, trail group look to improve bicycling safety
- FL: Manatee County plans to build greenways, bicycle trails - but there's no funding
Cycling in Ohio
"While riding a bike is a healthy and cost friendly mode of transportation, it's not always the easiest in an urban setting..." more
Artist-Designed Public Racks
"Since 2012, ArtWorks has been bringing artist-designed, functional bike racks to public spaces throughout Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky..." more
Residents Oppose Planned Bicycle Path
Omaha, NE - "A busy street is scheduled for an extreme makeover, surprising neighborhood residents who thought the plan had evaporated." more...
Reflections on a Crash that hits Close to Home
OR"...Both of us were hit while riding lawfully in a clearly marked bike lane..." more
- NC: Greenway to White Sulphur Springs eyed
- MD: Regional bike club to maintain Frederick watershed trails
- PA: Montgomery County adds to bike rental fleet for trails, parks
- AUS: Logging plans near Tasmanian mtb trails spark online campaign
- GA: Prominent doctor remembered after fatal bike accident
Park District Explores Tax Levy
Circleville, OH - "The Pickaway County Park District is in the early stages of drafting a proposed tax levy that would help pay for maintenance and improvements at all Pickaway County parks." more...
Bike Lanes not a Simple Proposition in CA
CA - "For many years, Berkeley bike advocates have pushed for their own lane on a two-block stretch of Fulton Street. The conditions seem ripe for one..." more
Anti-Grail Group Influences Bike Access Plans
Portland, OR - "Once again improvements to cycling access in an off-road area near Portland is in jeopardy because of opposition from people who claim the new trails will harm wildlife." more...
Motorist Carjacked at Gunpoint Near MetroCenter Greenway
TN - "Police are searching for two men who allegedly stole a car at gunpoint at a north Nashville greenway early Friday morning." more...
Deaths on the Rise as Cities Encourage more Biking & Walking
"...While many communities have seen a rise in the number of residents biking to work, automobile collisions involving pedestrians and bicyclists represent a growing portion [of] traffic fatalities and injuries, according to a recent report from U.S. Government Accountability Office." more...
Bike League Launches Bike Friendly America Portal
"...The new online system was built around valuable feedback we've received from applicant communities, businesses, and universities over the years, and the League is pleased to be able to offer a variety of new features and improvements." more...
- IN: Trail connecting Niles to Mishawaka taking another step forward
- TN: Will Skelton Greenway reopens after repairs
- TN: South Chickamauga Creek Greenway ready for visitors
- VA: Accused Roanoke Greenway attacker pleads not guilty
- ID: New mountain bike trail takes shape
- WA: Is it possible to put a bike lane on I-5 through Seattle?
- NE: Bicycling bill dodges concerns, advances to final reading
- NM: Let's Create A First Impression To Tourists With A Rim Trail
- WA: Police searching for hit-and-run suspect
- OR: Oregon DOT Wants to "Change Cultural Norms" Related to Distracted Driving
How Red Bike Stacks Up
Cincinnati, OH - "Cincinnati's bike sharing system does well when it comes to how close its stations are to public transit, according to a new report by the federal Bureau of Transportation Statistics..." more
Glen Helen, Buckeye Trail Sign Agreement
Yellow Springs, OH - "Glen Helen is celebrating a historic a partnership with the Buckeye Trail Association, encouraging hikers to step off of the paved bike path and continue onto the earthen trails of the nature preserve." more...
Whole Foods Markets to Donate to Cleveland Velodrome
Cleveland, OH - "Two local Whole Foods Market locations will donate a portion of Wednesday's sales to the Cleveland Velodrome." more...
Connect Protected Bike Lanes Fast, Watch Riders Pour In
"...let's take a moment to recognize the North American city that has used these tools better than any other to rapidly improve its bike infrastructure." more...
World Health Organization: Build Cycle Infrastructure
"In a major new health report the World Health Organization stresses that Government's across the globe have to get people out of cars for short journeys, and create better built environments so people choose to cycle and walk instead." more...
Map Shows Where Cylists Stress Out
MD - "Montgomery County just released a cool online map showing the relative safety risk for bicyclists in the suburb." more...
- UK: A campaign for the 190-mile Coast to Coast walk to be given official National Trail status has begun
- AL: City opens Rotary Trail with sign lighting
- WA: Beacon Hill trail is a big neighborhood greenway improvement
Committee Seeks to Link Bike Trail to Key Sites
Biking & Walking: How are We Doing?
"As spring tempts us to pick up the pace of our outdoor activities, it's clear that not all places have equal footing. more...
Transportation Options are Looking Different - Sidewalks Should Too
"...Few (if any) planners specialize in comprehensive sidewalk design. But sidewalks are the new urban-planning frontier..." more
When to Use Protected Intersections?
"If 2015 was the year protected intersections arrived in the United States, 2016 is the year the country's bikeway pros are starting to really figure them out." more...
DC Used to Fly the Skull and Cross-Bones
D.C. - "...It's always revealing to go back and look at how Americans responded to traffic deaths before they were regarded as an unavoidable aspect of everyday life..." more
- NE: Columbus campus adds bike-sharing program
- TX: Chacon Hike and Bike Trail hosting bat watch walk
- MD: Hagerstown works to finish Marsh Run Trail for bicyclists
- CT: Planning Underway To Close Plainville Gap In Greenway
- NM: Bike Facility Enhancements on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Ave.
- OR: Bike share stations on transit mall and city parks land?
- WA: Specialized apologizes for 'better bike shop' ad
- WA: Snohomish County buys rail corridor in major regional trail missing link
Springfield Trail Improvements to Begin Next Year
Springfield, OH - "Portions of the multi-use trails in Springfield - which average thousands of bicycle riders per day - will be receiving about $225,000 worth of improvements next summer." more...
Complete Streets Concept Rolling out in Akron
Akron, OH - "The City of Akron is beginning to embrace a new model for streetscape design that attempts to serve more than just cars." more...
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Columbus Riverfront wins Planning Excellence Award
Columbus, OH - "Restoring the Scioto River provided more than just improving public access to the riverfront. It spurred community reinvestment and created five new downtown parks, removed two low-head dams, restored the riverfront ecosystem and revitalized adjacent neighborhoods..." more...
Crowd Funding Campaign Helps Bike Trail Raise $10K
Middleville, MI - "The state of Michigan is helping citizens of this Barry County community in a crowd funding campaign aimed at helping them get the $10,000 they need to extend the Paul Henry-Thornapple Trail by nearly a mile." more...
1st Broadcasting Channel Dedicated to Cycling Rides
UK - "Bike, the first broadcasting channel exclusively dedicated to cycling, has launched across the UK, set to broadcast 24 hours a day on Sky and Virgin Media." more...
Breathalyser Firm: Never Drink & Cycle
UK - "Cyclists are being warned that they are at 10 times more risk of injury after drinking alcohol versus being sober." more...
What If We Measure Streets for Walking?
"...What if we measured the transportation system for pedestrians the same way we measure it for drivers?" more...
AP Writer's Stylebook Changes Guidelines for "Accidents"
"The Associated Press has tweaked its guidance for journalists about when to call traffic collisions 'accidents.'" more...
Safe Routes to School State Report Cards
"We've developed state report cards which provide a snapshot of how supportive each state is of walking, bicycling, and physical activity for children and adults as of 2016." more...
- NC: New Shelby trail seeing activity
- TN: Cleveland School Board Makes Plans To Extend Greenway
- TN: South Chickamauga Creek Greenway Grand Opening Celebration
- CAN: Hoffman Estates waits for CN to sign off on bike trail
- NC: 3rd MISB volunteers cut new bike path along Cape Fear River Trail
- OR: city bolsters traffic diversion in two north Portland locations
- CA: Eroica vintage cycling festival returning to Paso Robles
Trail to Connect Bradford to Greenville
Greenville, OH - "It won't be long before local bike riders and hikers will be able to enjoy the Darke County Recreational Trail from Bradford into downtown Greenville." more...
Athens City Council to Consider Proposed Bike Path
Athens, OH - "...The proposed new bike path will span from Armitage Road to Columbus Road, according to the ordinance authorizing the path's construction." more...
Bridge-Building Project Comes to Cucumbertree Trail
Athens, OH - "...The Cucumbertree Trail is one of the most popular and convenient access routes to the trail system that is shared by Strouds Run State Park, the city of Athens preserve land, and the Athens Conservancy's Blair Preserve..." more
Reminder: West Branch Seasonal Trail Closure
Summit County, OH - "West Branch Trails are still CLOSED due to wet and muddy conditions and the seasonal closure until the 3rd Saturday of May!! Please respect the trails and all the dedicated volunteer efforts to build and maintain them." more...
Green Twp. to Install Sidewalk along Bridgetown Rd.
Green Twp., OH - "...When we started discussing the sidewalks plan Bridgetown Road and West Fork Road jumped out as priorities because of the existing schools, libraries and parks..." more
Study Looks at Why Bike Share Rides are Safer
"Here's a remarkable fact: Not a single person has died using bike share in the United States." more...
- WI: Rhinelander Gets Funding For New Bike Trail
- CA: Tiburon's bike and pedestrian draft plan stirs debate
- KY: As weather warms, cyclists take to area scenic routes
- PA: Proposed trail would connect communities
Bike Share Bikes: Slow, Heavy & Awesome
"If you are used to the sleekness of a road bike or the agility or a mountain bike, climbing onto a bike share ride might feel like sitting atop an elephant..." more
- MN: Bike Summit organizers aimed to inform and inspire
- ID: Eagle adapting to unique kind of mountain biking
Why are we Adding Capacity When there's no Road Congestion?
Cleveland, OH - "...of the 174 cities for which TomTom had traffic data, just 7 of them have less traffic than Cleveland..." more
Reimagining the Civic Commons Initiative
'Bike Speed Stakeouts' Coming to Marin County
CA - "The long arm of the law is going to be holding a radar gun on the majestic mountain bike trails of Marin County, and the other hand is probably going to be holding a book full of citations." more...
6 Accused of Robbing 2 Juveniles near High Point Greenway Trail
NC - "...Jones and five other males are accused of robbing and assaulting two juveniles of their bicycles, shoes and cell phones..." more
- GA: The Making of a Greenway
- MI: Trail upgrades, grants highlight recreation expansion plans
- MI: Bike Ministry launched at Trinity Lutheran
- OR: Police seek help finding bike burglar
- OR: Left-hook collision on Williams Avenue sends woman to the hospital
- TX: Teen finds his stolen bike on Facebook
Kiwanis Club Gives Local Autistic Teenager New Bike
Athens, OH - "...Members of the Athens Kiwanis Club and the Downtown Athens Kiwanis Club, both service-project organizations, combined to provide the Albany teenager, who is diagnosed with autism, with a tricycle to promote exercise and healthy living." more...
Yay Bikes! Newsletter
Read the April edition.
Bike-Share Fight Brews in New Jersey
NJ - "A dispute about bike-share and bike parking is bubbling in Jersey City and neighboring Hoboken..." more
Federal Officials Assume Control of San Jose Streets
"When something goes wrong and people get hurt on a train, national transportation safety officials swoop in immediately to root out the source of risk and prevent future loss of life.ntsb-logo-tag
How surprising and refreshing to see them apply the same scrutiny to the road system as well..." more
- VA: Dayton commissions study considering trail network for town
- TX: New Project Closes A Gap In Houston's Bike Trail System
- NV: Funding secured for new trails in rural Nevada
- VA: RVA to DC bike ride runs right through region
- CO: Protected Bike Lane in Stapleton Shot Down By the Finance Department
- OR: Metro proposal rejects Safe Routes to School
- OR: Portland Police announce extra patrols after rise in fatal crashes
- NYC: The Official (Mostly Accurate) 2016 NYC Bike Map
- WA: 6000 - 7000 cyclists to ride floating bridge
Update on the Industrial Heartland Trail Network
"...The Industrial Heartland Trail Network is an envisioned trail network which will span 48 counties across four states, running through western Pennsylvania, northern West Virginia and eastern Ohio and reaching into the southwest corner of New York State..." more
Portland's "Pedestrian Problem" is not Going Away
OR - "There's been yet another crash in Portland involving a vulnerable road user. It marks a very troubling start to 2016 that should force the city to do a gut-check about its commitment to Vision Zero. more...
Why Bike Lanes Might Appear Underutilized
"We hear complaints that bike lanes are underutilized." more...
Ottawa Plans $66M World Class Trail
CAN - "The federal government is planning to spend nearly $66 million on a "world-class" biking and walking trail through Jasper National Park..." more
Safe Routes to School Newsletter
Read the March issue.
- D.C.: Union Station expansion plans will help train riders, cyclists
- IL: Bike Trail updates to be presented in Bloomingdale
- VT: Rail Trail supporters seek missing link
- RI: Community members unite over bike safety
- MI: Late June targeted for bike trail completion
- TN: River Sculpture Going Up on Wolf River Greenway
- PA: Brandywine Greenway seeks new path through Pocopson
- MI: Protected Bike Lanes Could Be Coming to Detroit's Main Drag
- OR: City restripes bike lanes one day after activists' cones appear
- MN: Dakota County seeks $2.2 million for railroad crossing on Mississippi bike trail
Trail Signs Going Up in Springfield Twp.
Springfield Twp., OH - " Parks and Recreation Director Doug Foltz, presented three signs that will be placed along the Spartan Trail to identify the three sections of the trail -- the Lakefront,Tri-County and Springfield High School paths." more...
Some Users Confused by Mohican Valley Trail Surface
Danville, OH - "...Recent calls reporting a white powder on the trail were investigated by Lori Totman, director of the Knox County Park District, only to be determined that the current condition of what looks like a white powder is completely normal." more...
More Violent Crimes along Metropolitan Branch Trail
D.C. - "...In Tuesday's incident, the victim was beaten by a group of assailants near 5th and T Streets NE about 5 p.m..." more
A Crusade to Defeat the Legacy of Highways Rammed Through Poor Neighborhoods
"As a child, Anthony Foxx knew he couldn't ride his bike far from home without being blocked by a freeway. By the time he became U.S. transportation secretary he understood why." more...
- GA: Coastal Georgia Greenway project gets money from state
- TN: Shots fired near Murfreesboro Greenway
- CA: Transient charged in Irvine bike-path killing
- CA: Land deal locks down popular mountain trail access
- WI: Interurban trail inching forward
- MI: Protected Bike Lanes Planned for Woodward
- WA: Seattle's downtown bike lane is getting a whole lot bigger
- OR: Gresham police say 10-year-old boy's death on Burnside is "horrible accident"
Yay Bikes! March Report
Columbus, OH - "Welcome to the monthly feature in which we round up all our events, earned media, program delivery, meetings and speaking engagements for the month..." more
Fast Changes to City Streets: A 9-Step Guide
"...From the experimental lawn chairs scattered across New York's redesigned Times Square on Memorial Day 2009 to the row of plastic posts on Denver's Arapahoe Street after a bike lane retrofit last fall, city projects are tackling big problems with solutions that are small, cheap, fast and agile..." more
Can We Bike Our Way to a Stable Climate?
"Earlier this week, I had the chance to talk about the role of bicycling in addressing climate change at the National Bike Summit in Washington, D.C..." more
Valley Transportation Planners Making Room for Bikes & Peds
PA - "After a half century of dominating the Lehigh Valley's transportation planning, it is time that cars and trucks move over to make way for bikes and pedestrians." more...
- UT: Teen taken to hospital after bike wreck on Bear Claw Poppy Trail
- NC: Group wants protected bike lanes uptown
- AL: Lagoon Park Trail opens in Montgomery
- TN: Beginner's guide to Knoxville cycling
- AL: Anniston bicycle lane construction set to start in April
- CA: Deaths in S.F. traffic not falling despite Vision Zero efforts
- OR: What are all these unauthorized orange traffic cones telling us?
- CAN: 2-way streets to revitalize downtown Winnipeg
- WA: Petition supports using rail bed for Eastside Rail Corridor bike trail
Sketchy Trail Crossing Raises Safety Concerns
Pedestrian Deaths Jump in Ohio
Columbus, OH - "The number of pedestrians killed by motor vehicles soared in Ohio in the first six months of 2015, with Ohio leading all states in the percentage increase over the same period in 2014." more...
Cleveland Heights Working on 'Safe Routes to Schools'
Cleveland Heights, OH - " When it comes to 'Safe Routes to Schools,' the city is working to get everyone on the same page." more...
Monon Greenway to be Widened in to Avoid Overcrowding
Indianapolis, IN - "...The Indianapolis Star reports that Mayor Jim Brainard and City Council members expressed concern with overcrowding near City Center and the Arts & Design District..." more
Highline Trail Unofficially Open
UT - "...The Highline Trail starts at the mouth of Logan Canyon and sits atop the canal that runs down it. When the canal company covered the structure in 2013 it had inadvertently created a nearly flat walking path that snaked along the side of the canyon." more...
- TN: Waubonsee students volunteer over spring break on Cumberland Trail
- TN: City Commission to review Traditions walking trail changes
- NH: Mount Sunapee adds mountain bike trails
- MT: Lolo 2 Missoula path nears completion
- ID: Boise sees a whole new way of thinking about transportation
- WV: Marshall University professor dies from serious bike injury
- MN: St. Paul launches effort to change the city's driving culture - by enforcing crosswalk laws
Official Fights to Have Pasco Included in Coast-to-Coast Trail
FL - "Much to the disappointment of Pasco leaders, a Florida Department of Transportation study team has recommended a route for the planned 275-mile coast-to-coast trail that excludes the county." more...
- AL: Decatur Utilities responsible for repairing bike trail
- CO: Grant pays for new signage at Old Spanish Trail
- MN: Who's idea was it to build the 'Trail to Nowhere'?
- SC: West Ashley Greenway paving a year behind schedule
- CT: Report Urges Woodbury to Develop Walkable Community
Bikers Offer To Clean Up Trail System
Cincinnati, OH - "A group that promotes mountain biking will be helping Fort Thomas keep a local trail system in shape..." more
Riverfront Commons Comes into Focus
KY - "...what better place is there to enjoy those outdoor activities in Northern Kentucky than a spot along the Ohio River?.." more
- NY: Southampton Trails Preservation Society Celebrates 30 Years
- MA: Bike Path Could be Key to Attract Businesses
- WA: Lacey exploring bike lanes
- TN: Legion Street to be reconfigured for Tweetsie trail head
- NC: Ribbon Cutting for Completion of Greenway Underpass at Brookshire Park
City Manager Weighs in on Central Pkwy Bike Lanes
Cincinnati, OH - "A new report detailing Central Parkway traffic accidents says that the number of them along a stretch of the road that has protected bike lanes isn't out of the ordinary..." more
Debate Continues Over Liberty Street
Cincinnati, OH - "Liberty Street runs like a scar across the middle of Over-the-Rhine. But how to heal it is a source of contention..." more
Bike Shares Need Subsidies to Keep Rolling
"...Starting a bike share program requires substantial capital, typically about $4,000 to $5,000 per bike, which also covers the cost of docking stations and kiosks..." more
A Bike Trail Along The Entire Chicago River?
IL - "Transportation advocacy groups are eyeing what could be the holy grail of bike trail locations for Chicago's next big project - the Chicago River." more...
- NC: Father of accused greenway rapist stunned over allegations
- NY: Wheatfield to pay CSX for Greenway trail review
- GA: Deal should clear Big Creek Greenway delay
- MA: Milford bike trail to install first path for the blind
- MA: Residents Turn Out To Support Bike Path Extension
- CA: Pardee, San Diego Mountain Bike group partner on new trail
- OR: Portland 'Transformation' bureau unveils '20 is Plenty' signs
- OR: Arrest made in Springwater path sexual assault case
- WA: Work begins next week on Arboretum Trail set to open late 2017
- WA: Hit-and-run spotlights Bellevue's bike problem
Bike Trail Campground Clearing Under Way
London, OH - "The pile of brush aside the Prairie Grass Trail head grew to huge proportions Tuesday morning as volunteers started work creating a small campground area adjacent to the bike path." more...
Miami Valley Gets $18.9M for Transportation Projects
Dayton, OH - "Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission has awarded $18.9 million in federal funding for nearly three dozen transportation projects in the region. more...
COTA Workers Buy Teen New Bike After Crash
Columbus, OH - "COTA workers pooled their money to buy 14-year-old Osman Mayo a brand new bike after his was destroyed in a crash while it was on the rack of a bus." more...
Seattle's Bike Share Investigation
WA - "The city's top transportation official, Scott Kubly, is at the center of an ethics investigation that questions his ties to the bike-sharing Pronto program." more...
Hit-and-Run Driver Nearly Kills Bicyclist
Bellevue, WA - "A bicyclist was rushed to the hospital with life-threatening injuries Wednesday morning after she was struck by a hit-and-run driver and thrown 100 feet, police say." more...
Man Charged with Raping Woman on Charlotte Greenway
NC - "A man was arrested Wednesday and charged with sexually assaulting a woman on the McAlpine Greenway." more...
- VA: Greenway network could extend all the way to the AT
- MI: Grant sought to help fund new 'Downtown Greenway' stretch
- TX: UTSA Boulevard Project to install new turn, bike lanes
- CAN: Brockville bike lane battle
- AR: Springdale officials take step toward Dean's Trail
- NC: Does Kay Crowder Have a Point on Bike Share in Raleigh?
- OR: Neighborhood association demands immediate investment in Cully Blvd after latest fatality
Aurora Trail Not Likely Anytime Soon
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Teacher Killed by Cop in Crosswalk
NYC - "NYPD and the city Law Department are fighting a lawsuit filed by the family of a Brooklyn man who was killed in a crosswalk by an on-duty officer, on the grounds that the victim behaved recklessly by crossing the street." more...
West Ashley Bike Lane Test
SC - "On April 2, Charleston County will temporarily block a lane on the T. Allen Legare Bridge to see what, if any, effect dedicating one lane of the bridge to bike riders and pedestrians will have on morning commuters." more...
2016 Advocacy Award Winners
"The League of American Bicyclists was honored to work with the Alliance for Biking & Walking to present Advocacy Awards at the 2016 National Bike Summit & Women's Forum..." more...
- NC: Buncombe Recreation plans greenway meeting
- NC: Zebulon Greenway, sidewalk plans coming into view
- TX: Trail expansion continues for Spring Creek
- AL: Bike trail needs to be priority
- IA: Crow Creek bike path closing to repair damage from flash floods
- FL: AM, HB alternate bike path plans continue
- VA: A short new trail connection will go a long way in Arlington
- IA: Group raising money to build new trail
- OR: Community Cycling Center recognized for work
- WA: Combining bikes and transit just got even more powerful
Olentangy Trail to Stretch into Worthington Hills
CoGo Adding Five New Stations
Columbus, OH - "The CoGo Bike Share system will continue to grow and expand this year with the addition of five new station locations this summer..." more
New Jersey Bill Would Ban Texting and Walking
NJ - "...in a world where we should be getting people our of their cars, instead we are making it almost illegal to walk." more...
Is D.C. Moving Fast Enough On Bike Lanes?
D.C. - "In what is now considered one of America's top bicycling cities, with an estimated 4 percent of commute trips taken by bike, the District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is rolling out its 2016 construction plans..." more
Safer Streets Ahead for Bikers and Walkers
"Last Tuesday, the U.S. Department of Transportation (USDOT) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) released a new and improved set of requirements designed to increase transportation safety - including safety for people who walk or bike." more...
- PA: Trail Town Program looking for volunteers to conduct trail user counts
- GA: Advocates for greenway along Chattahoochee River scramble
- NC: Greenway project up and running
- NYC: Board approves new protected bike lane proposal
- D.C.: A new bike trail could connect the Met Branch Trail to 4th Street NE
- AL: Sims bike trail continues to run into obstacles
- IL: New Bike-Friendly Trail To Connect Pilsen And Little Village
- TX: Walnut Springs Trail construction nears end
- WA: Snoqualmie Valley Trail reopens between Duvall and Carnation
- NY:Bike-share program to start this summer in Buffalo
- OR: Updates and reactions to Portland's tragic weekend
Great Miami Trail Detour
Piqua, OH - "The Great Miami River Trail behind the former power plant in Piqua, OH will be closed beginning Monday, March 21, 2016.
"The closure is scheduled to last 2-3 days. A detour around the front of the former power plant will be available. Signs will be in place marking the closure."
Penalties for Errant Drivers Remain Light
Des Moines, IA - "...Cyclists are frustrated that the growing support for two-wheeled transportation has only rarely led to tougher penalties for drivers who hit bikes..." more
- OR: Woman sexually assaulted along Springwater Corridor bike trail
- IA: Bike trail gaining traction in the city
- NV: Tahoe bike path carries high construction cost
- CA: Trail can fit with rail for sustainable transit options
Blimp City Bike & Hike Opens Along Towpath Trail
NE Ohio Mountain Bike Trail Conditions
"The embedded Twitter feed below shows the latest updates from volunteer trail monitors for the Northeast Ohio mountain bike trails that post their updates on Twitter..." more...
Inland Rail Trail Bikeway Takes Shape
CA - "Construction has commenced at San Marcos on the missing link of the Inland Rail Trail bikeway to Oceanside." more...
Widening Planned for Portions of Lakefront Trail
Chicago, IL - "Some stretches of Chicago's often-packed lakefront trail would get split into separate lanes for bikers and joggers under a plan Mayor Rahm Emanuel plans to announce... more
Hikers Find Human Skull Near Hollywood Sign
Los Angeles, CA - "...two hikers stumbled on the skull Saturday afternoon about 400 feet from the Brush Canyon trail near the Hollywood sign." more...
Cyclist & Ped Killed in Separate Incidents
Portland, OR - "...There was another fatal crash involving a vulnerable roadway user last night. A 58-year-old man was struck and killed by a motor vehicle operator while trying to cross NE Cully at Mason." more
- RI: Coventry's new Trestle Trail Greenway is a biking & business opportunity
- MN: Officers called after supposed hand found along bike trail
- IA: Ida County trail among concepts pitched at bicycle summit
Mt. Vernon Bike crossing Getting Signs
Xenia-Themed Bike Racks Unveiled
Xenia, OH - "Several new Xenia-themed bike racks were recently installed around the city..." more
Cop-Killer Kills Self on Swamp Rabbit Trail
SC - "They say a self-admitted gang member shot and killed himself after shooting and killing a police officer." more...
5 Strategies for Equitable Active Transportation Planning
"It started as a lively discussion on the Bike Equity Network - a listserv for mobility and equity advocates working within walk/bike advocacy and planning - related to a Washington Post article that examined the notion of bike lanes as symbols of gentrification..." more
- VA: Massanutten Resort expanding bike trail options
- MA: Berkshires communities asked to approve interstate bike touring route
- WI: Bicycles sought for Jefferson gym classes
- CO: Former pro cyclist loses arm in bike crash on Flagstaff Mountain
- AUS: Body of missing mountain biker found
Lancaster Bicyclist Struck, Killed
Berne Twp., OH - "...Ralph R. Conrad was riding a bicycle southbound when he was struck from behind by a 2007 Chevy Impala." more...
Plan Seeks to Connect 430 Miles of Trail
Bridgeport, OH - "...Should this plan come to fruition, Wheeling, Weirton, and Pittsburgh would have a walking and bicycling path connecting the cities with Washington, D.C." more...
Jaywalkers Being Ticketed in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "...Police records provided us with numbers from September 13, 2014 thru January 6, 2016.
In that time, roughly 710 people have been given a pedestrian violation..." more
No Prosecution for Drinking Driver who Admitted to Checking Phone Before Deadly Crash
Portland, OR - "A case from Corvallis should send a shiver down the spine of anyone who uses our roads." more...
Metropolitan Branch Trail Extremely Popular During Metro Shutdown
D.C. - "Despite its history of infrequent use and various safety concerns, cyclists flocked to the Metropolitan Branch Trail on Wednesday when Metro closed its rail system to conduct inspections and repairs..." more
- SC: Cleveland Park facing parking crunch
- TN: Ducks to aid in Greenway fundraising
- NYC: First Signs of Greenway Construction on West Street
- TN: Next expansion of greenway begins
- PA: City council to consider grant for bike lanes, crossings
- IN: South Shore's bike service starts April 2
- WA: 2nd Ave bike lane will go one block further south
- OR: Video shows thief stealing bike
- OR: Portland now issues anti-dooring window decals
Trail Beautification Project to Begin this Spring
Alum Creek Trail Bridge Update
"A large tree has fallen and taken out a section of timber boardwalk on the north side of Innis Park. Repairs of the section will begin immediately, and the section is expected to be re-opened for trail use by March 21. Please obey the barricades."
Canoe Livery Proposed near The Plains
Athens, OH - "...Barron is exploring alternatives for accessing the property, including crossing the bike path where Maiden's office has built a temporary road..." more
$2M Trail Center Opens
PA - "Like a spring awakening, a staffed $2 million trail center opens today in Columbia to serve as the hub of the 14-mile Northwest Lancaster County River Trail." more...
Louisville Streets a Pedestrian Danger Zone
KY - "...The parents of Ryann Tewell, who was killed when struck and dragged by a cement truck, remember her and talk about their frustration after her death." more...
- CO: Pitkin Commissioners disagree over bike tour route
- SC: Ashley River bike lane would complete East Coast Greenway
- NC: New Hendersonville greenway connects two parks
- OR: Northeast Portlanders call enthusiastically for traffic diverters
- TN: Police searching for man flashing women at park along Greenway
- IN: 92 Pedestrians Killed In 2015
- OR: ODOT acknowledges need for a road diet on SW Barbur Blvd
Groundbreaking for the Warrior Bicycle Trail
Ohio City, OH - "...it will be constructed from Liberty-Union Road to Rt. 127 on the abandoned railroad track..." more
Peds Run for Their Lives in St. Paul
MN - "St. Paul is not a pedestrian-friendly city. An average of one pedestrian is struck by a vehicle every other day. If you walk the streets of the city, you're probably surprised the number isn't higher." more...
A Little Accountability for State DOTs on Bike & Ped Safety
"In a win for bike and pedestrian safety, the Federal Highway Administration announced yesterday that it will require state transportation agencies to do something they have never had to do before: set goals to reduce bike and pedestrian fatalities, and track progress toward attaining those goals." more...
Workshop to Help Prevent Crime, Injuries on Monon Trail
IN- "IMPD is teaming up with city leaders to make sure people are keeping themselves and each other safe while enjoying trails and bike lanes." more...
- NC: New petition reignites debate about Beaucatcher Greenway
- GA: House supports Coastal Greenway
- NC: Three-city greenway connection envisioned
- NY: Concepts for Codorus Creek corridor
- IN: Bike trails ride into the Region
- TX: Council supports moving forward with two pedestrian projects
- NC: Raleigh council adopts bike sharing program
- VA: Officer repairs two bikes
- China: China turns to bike share to help decrease pollution
Alum Creek Trail Bridge Out Near Innis Park
Road Closed for Bridge, Bike Path Construction
Deerfield, Twp., OH - "...The current two-lane bridge will be replaced with a five-lane bridge with a bike path." more...
Razo Pleads Guilty to Murder Charge
Painesville, OH - "...Authorities said Razo tried to rape a 14-year-old girl at a park and shot a 40-year-old woman walking along a bike path before the slaying..." more
Brewery Donates $30,777 to Cleveland Metroparks
Middleburg Heights, OH - "Fat Head's Brewery has donated $30,777 in what has become an annual donation to the Cleveland Metroparks trails fund." more...
John Volz Trail Opens
Covington, KY - "... An amazing natural surface trail at the front of Devou Park facing downtown Cincinnati..." more
Council Bails Out Seattle's Bike Share Program
Seattle, WA - "Optimism beat trepidation Monday, as the Seattle City Council overwhelmingly voted to release $1.4 million in city funds to bail out the insolvent 'bike share' system Pronto..." more
Time to Ban Right Turns on Red
"Last fall, the Seattle Department of Transportation banned right turns on red (RTOR) at 10 downtown intersections. The spot bans came as part of the city's implementation of a Vision Zero plan..." more
- WA: Yakima River overruns Greenway near Union Gap
- IA: Cedar Falls mulls naming trail for former mayor
- TN: New biking, walking trails could lose state gas tax funding
- MD: Baltimore is set to award a bike-share contract
- MN: Will Fourth Street become St. Paul's Nicollet Mall?
- PA: Bike suspect in Westmoreland traffic obstruction cases
- IL: Though The 606 Is CMAQ-Funded, It Doesn't Have to Be Open 24/7
- WV: Support North Bend Rail Trail
Sheriff's Office Searching for Vehicle in Fatal Hit-and-Run
Franklin Twp., OH - "The Franklin County Sheriff's Office is searching for a vehicle that struck a 15-year-old cyclist on U.S. 62 north of Ransburg Avenue late Saturday night.
"...[the bicyclist] was pronounced dead on the scene." more...
A Playbook on the Politics of Better Streets
"In conversation with former New York City transportation commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan." more...
- CA: Dozens of campers stranded near American River Bike Trail
- UK: Barbed wire booby trap found on Kent cycle trail
- IL: Let's keep the 606 open 24/7
- WA: Behind the scenes of Pronto
Work on Southern End Will Improve Busy Intersections
Hudson, OH - "...A multi-use path will be added on the north side of Norton Road from state Route 91 to the Metro Parks hike and bike trail, she said. Sidewalk improvements and additions will be added to the remaining legs..." more
MetroParks, City of Hamilton Sign Agreement
Hamilton, OH - "MetroParks of Butler County is continuing its efforts to collaborate with other local goverment entities on regionally significant parks and recreational opportunities." more...
Sinkholes Remain on Chief Ladiga Trail
Jacksonville, AL - "...Possibly the result of heavy rains, both sinkholes take up the width of the trail. Now, cyclists have to detour through three miles of car traffic." more...
Foxx Announces 7 Finalist Cities for Smart City Challenge
"...The finalists are: Austin, TX; Columbus, OH; Denver, CO; Kansas City, MO; Pittsburgh, PA; Portland, OR; and San Francisco, CA..." more
- KS: Bicycle trail committee searches for way forward for county plan
- PA: Volunteers clear ditches, clean up at Thun Trail
- CA: Los Alamos Fire Department Forms EMS Bike Team
- TN: Fisher excited by 2nd greenway prospects
Eye-Catching Bike Racks in North Ridgeville
North Ridgeville, OH - "A touch of artistry has been brought to the parks in North Ridgeville with the addition of six bicycle racks in four parks..." more
- CA: Covert mountain-bike trail building at Miramar
- PA: Greensburg shares update on bike-lane connectors
- OR: Pendleton airport bike trails set to take off
- OR: Sellwood Bridge will get wider, buffered bike lane
- WA: Effort is underway to save G&O Family Cyclery
- NY: Pedestrians Ignoring Bloodied Bike Lock Assault Victim
Little Miami Trail Link Recommend for $1M in Funding
Cincinnati, OH - "A small but important bridge over the Little Miami River is poised to get a big infusion of cash from the state of Ohio..." more
Plan in Works to Connect Trails in Butler & Warren County
Road Work to Begin Soon, May Include Medians
Bexley, OH - "Landscaped medians placed at various intersections along East Broad Street could help slow traffic, prevent accidents and make the thoroughfare safer for cyclists, according to Bexley city officials." more...
AMATS Releases 2015 Annual Report
Council OKs Retail End of Towpath Development
Akron, OH - "...The developer is renovating an old tire factory located at the corner of North Howard and West North streets, opposite of the Mustill Store along the Ohio and Erie Canal Towpath Trail." more...
The Rails-to-Trails Movement Reaches the Balkans
"An old train route connecting Croatia and Bosnia will become a 124-mile bike track." more...
Sharrow Inventor: "I Was Always Under Pressure to Do Less"
"Sharrows, what are they good for? A recent study suggests that one thing shared lane markings don't do is improve safety for cyclists. The conclusion has sparked an online debate ..." more
- FL: Escambia Greenway isn't fit for public use
- TN: Wolf River Greenway area sees major flooding
- NC: Rockingham County Moves Forward with $20M Greenway Plan
- NY: Crews break ground on Bronx Greenway expansion
- WA: State parks gets feedback on John Wayne Trail
- AUS: Melbourne plan to make 25% of trips by bicycle
- NY: Long-delayed Taylor Drive trail breaking ground
- MN: Cyclist group seek coalition on lower urban speed limits
- CA: Long Beach Bike Share launches as city tries to be more bike-friendly
- OR: Here's the latest on Portland's Vision Zero progress
- CA: Police Instagram Locates Stolen $7000 Bicycle
- CA: Cyclist killed by trolley identified
- WA: Stolen bike shows up 2 years later - in the same spot
Bike Lane Under Review Due to Safety Concerns
Cincinnati, OH - "...According to Police, there were 62 car wrecks between 1600-2000 Central Parkway in 2015. Some believe the bike lane is to blame because what once was a through-traffic lane, is now a parking lane." more...
B&O Trail will get Mural
Mansfield, OH - "Local nonprofit organization Mankind Murals Incorporated has plans to bring two more murals to Mansfield, starting with one along the Richland B & O Trail at the 4th Street bridge..." more
NYC to Install a Record Number of Protected Bike Lanes
NYC - "New York City will be getting over 15 miles of physically protected bike lanes in 2016 - more than any year previously, officials said." more...
The Cool Bike Path That Will Soar Over the River
IL - "The long-gestating Addison Underbridge Connector - a section of riverfront bike path that will connect Belmont on the south to Montrose on the north - finally has a tentative start date and a far less awkward name." more...
- Singapore: Accidents prompt NParks to scrap adjacent hiking trail
- MT: Bitterroot Trail supporters prepare for link to Missoula
- VA: Man Arrested for Masturbating Along W&OD Trail
- D.C.: Silver Spring is about to get a lot more bike-friendly
- NC: Plans approved for new greenway in Rockingham County
- OR: First look at Portland's expanded bike share service area
- OR: Sellwood Bridge bikeway design still in flux
- KY: Pedestrian-Friendly Traffic Lights Draw Praise
- NH: Police are returning a stolen bike to a boy - in Oregon
- LA: Girl with special needs enters 'Great Bike Giveaway'
- IL: Police search for brazen bike thief
Cyclist Pepper Sprayed on Mill Creek Metroparks Trail
Canfield, OH - "...The victim told police that he was riding a bike on the trail when he was assaulted by a man who was on foot..." more
Ohio Seeing More Peds Dying in Traffic Accidents
"...Ohio saw the largest increase in pedestrian traffic deaths than every other state in the country." more...
U.S. Pedestrian Death Rate Climbing
"...Fatal crashes on the road are decreasing. For drivers, that is. For pedestrians, however, the story is very different." more
Woman Arrested for Revving Engine at Boy on Bike
IA - "A woman was arrested for assault for allegedly revving her engine at an 8-year-old cyclist who was riding in the street." more...
Peatonito: Protecting Pedestrians in the Crosswalk
NYC - "Peatonito ("little pedestrian") might be the most beloved figure in the world of street safety. How can you not love a superhero who protects pedestrians from cars?!.." more
National Trails of England and Wales to Hit Street View
UK - "...Google is enlisting the help of seasoned walkers, as well as offering a little of their own expertise, to map 15 of the UKâ€™s National Trails..." more
- KY: Greenways Commission gets update on grant
- TX: Wichita Falls Finds Hike and Bike Trail Contractor in Breach of Contract
- TN: Baker Creek Preserve to add trail miles to Urban Wilderness
- CAN: City of Vancouver buys Arbutus Corridor for $55 million
- UK: Boris Johnson: 'I wish I'd built more segregated cycling routes...'
- WA: State looks to invest in the John Wayne Trail
Is Bikesharing Safer Than Regular Bicycling?
"...Aside from the sturdier build and slower speeds of bikeshare bicycles, other factors may influence their unexpectedly good safety record..." more
More Charges for Man Accused of Summer Greenway Attack
Roanoke, VA - "Alexander Billow was indicted by a grand jury in Roanoke Monday for three additional felonies." more...
A Biker's Guide to Dealing With Street Harassment
"It's pretty much inevitable. Once you start riding your bike in the streets with any frequency, you will find yourself growing increasingly indignant about the poor skills and general lack of awareness and courtesy exhibited by a strikingly high proportion of drivers in your city..." more
- IN: Last gaps in bi-state trail could be closed by 2020
- TN: Developers revise walking trail for long-awaited Traditions subdivision
- IN: New walking & biking paths planned for South Bend
- CAN: Vancouver buys CP Rail land for urban greenway
- MA: 10-foot-tall animal heads are coming to the Rose Kennedy Greenway
- OR: Metro will install 400 new route signs on regional trail network
- WA: Reopened street improves access to Broadway Bikeway
- OR: Construction begins on 1.3 mile section of Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail
Yay Bikes! Hoping to Continue Ride Buddy Program
Columbus, OH - "Yay Bikes is looking for funding to continue a program that Executive Director Catherine Girves calls 'the best thing we've ever done.'" more...
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Solar Roads Coming to France
"France's Agency Of Environment And Energy Management has just announced plans to test photovoltaic solar panels on about 1,000 kilometers (or 621 miles) of roadway, supplying power to millions of people..." more
- NC: Bicycling in Charlotte gets two big pushes
- CAN: Gardiner proposal a sacrifice to the Cult of Motorism
Enact State-Wide 3 Foot Passing Law for Ohio Cyclists
OH - "We propose that the traffic laws be amended to improve safety for cyclists on Ohio roadways..." more
KSU $5.1M Project Slated for Construction
KY - "A $5.1 million pedestrian walkway will be constructed over East Main Street to link the north and south sides of the Kentucky State University campus..." more
Copenhagen Adding Bike-Friendly Traffic Lights
Denmark - "...Copenhagen coordinated the traffic lights so that cyclists riding at a speed of 20 km/hour will hit all green lights on their commute into the city during morning rush hour and again on their commute home in the evening..." more
- NE: Bulldog bites trail users
- IL: 606 Trail Robberies Have Residents On Alert
- UT: Woman transported by Life Flight after Stucki Springs bike crash
- NE: Kearney's Trail Systems See Additions and Updates
- VA: Shore Drive in Virginia Beach is becoming more bike-friendly
- WV: PATH officials ponder trail's next step
- MI: New trail will blaze its way through Downriver
River Center Moving Forward in Middletown
Middletown, OH - "...The $1 million project that will serve as a hub for those who walk, run and bike along the Great Miami River Recreation Trail will be built on the southern part of the Bicentennial Commons park area..." more
Little Miami Trail Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Wire & Spikes Gound on Nanaimo Mountain Bike Trail
CAN - "A Nanaimo woman made an alarming discovery Feb. 27 when she came across a wire strung at neck level and wooden jagged stakes in the ground along a trail used by mountain bikers and others, police said Friday. more...
Can Vancouver Avoid Seattle's Bike Share Missteps?
"The City of Vancouver hopes the five years it's spent starting and restarting its bike share will pay off in a robust system that will be successful like Boston - not a bust like Seattle." more...
Safe Routes to School Newsletter
Read the March edition.
- TN: Big progress for Knox bike trail construction at Baker Creek Preserve
- IA: Handfuls of tacks found on busy metro bike trail
- WI: 7 bike path projects to be considered for federal grants
- TX: City moves to terminate contract with Circle Trail contractor company
- KS: Is Lawrence set to rethink the use of bike lanes on city streets?
- OR: Cycle Oregon Fund awards $95,000 in grants
- WA: Memorial ride planned for hit-and-run victim
- AUS: One of the first bike riders hit with $319 fine for not wearing a helmet
- NC: Group proposes uptown bike lane to link greenways
- AL: Auburn, Opelika residents fuel initiative to connect train depots with bike trail
Construction to Begin on Columbus Road Bike Path
CVNP Receives $2.2M to Fix Bridges & Rail Crossings
CVNP, OH - "...The badly rusted bridges have been closed to foot traffic since 2009, because the structures over deep ravines are unsafe." more...
Narrowing Liberty Street Might not be Feasible
Cincinnati, OH - "A compromise might be the best shot neighbors have at getting some traction to fix a broad gap through the middle of Over-the-Rhine." more...
Dayton Ranks in "Best Places to Live"
Dayton, OH - "...Dayton is one of six Ohio areas that made the top 100: Cincinnati placed highest at #37..." more
Traffic Cone Activism in Portland
Portland, OR - "Portland's traffic coning revolution is spreading." more...
400-Mile Trail Network Takes Hold in Southeast Wisconsin
WI - "In October 2014, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) formally launched an initiative in Southeast Wisconsin that could have an enormous transformative effect on the region and America's rail-trail future..." more
Norway to Invest Almost $1B in Bike Highways
"...As part of a plan announced last week, the country will spend a massive 8 billion Norwegian Kroner ($923 million) creating 10 broad, two-lane, cross-country bike tracks in and near Norway's nine largest cities..." more
- FL: Emerald Necklace links urban core creeks
- MA: Federal Funds To Be Sought For Regional Bike Share Program
- KY: Louisville lacks a meaningful way to build complete streets
- WA: 2nd Ave getting upgrades + Extension to Denny
First Tenants Set to Move into Cascade Lofts
Akron, OH - "This weekend, more urban dwellers will start to call Akron home as the first tenants begin moving into Cascade Lofts, a former tire factory that has been transformed into 24 apartments on North Street near Howard Street near the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail." more...
Yay Bikes! Newsletter
Columbus, OH - Read the March edition.
Bike Counts Rising Fast Around the World
"...a France-based firm that has installed 12,000 automated people-counters around the world to measure bike and foot traffic..." more
Kalamazoo Getting Protected Bike Lane
Kalamazoo, MI - "...A protected bike lane will connect the two branches of the KRVT through downtown Kalamazoo, linking together a continuous 22 mile ride through the county..." more
Masked Man Attacks Teen on Bike Trail
AUS - "Police are on the hunt for a man who wore a "Scream" mask while carrying out a terrifying attack on a cyclist at Narrabeen on Wednesday." more...
Summit Advocacy Awards Finalists Announced
"The League of American Bicyclists is proud to announce the finalists for the 2016 Advocacy Awards that will be presented at the National Bike Summit & Women's Forum's Awards Night on March 7..." more...
- NH: Hiker found dead on trail died of hypothermia
- MS: Concerns voiced over safety of Wire Rd. bike trail
- IN: Mounds Greenway proposed as possible alternative to White River dam
- OR: Ped tries to catch bus dies after being struck by car
- OR: City reboots plan for SE Ankeny traffic diverter
- WA: Group rescues food that didn't sell, bikes it to food banks
- WA: Seattle is among the safest for biking & walking despite infrastructure
- D.C.: New ramps make it easier to bike by the White House
Twinsburg Wants Safe Routes to School
Twinsburg, OH - "...The city, along with the school district and village of Reminderville, will seek a grant through the Ohio Department of Transportation's Safe Routes to School program..." more
West Shoreway Project will Cost Millions More than Initial Bid
Cleveland, OH - "Upgrades to a section of Cleveland's West Shoreway will cost taxpayers millions more than first thought." more...
Police Arrest Man Who May Be Responsible for Bike Trail Attacks
VA - "19-year-old Santos Efrain Vasquez-Lopez has been arrested in connection with a sexual assault last summer." more...
Nike's New Bike Path Through the Woods
Portland, OR - "Nike has just opened a new bike path through a forested parcel adjacent to their world headquarters." more...
Safety Advocate will Never Attend Another DOT Meeting
MN - "...I and other community members invested thousands of hours of our time in a good-faith effort to come up with the Multi-Modal Plan. By throwing out large portions of it, MnDOT wasted our time, betrayed our trust, and wasted public money." more...
Female Bike Messengers Fighting Harassment
"...female bike messengers often fight against additional obstacles, as a new video on cat-calling and street harassment from the Womenâ€™s Bike Messenger Association makes clear." more...
- AR: Craighead Forest Trailway construction underway
- NC: Vending dog treats on the greenway
- CT: Expert eases concern over proposed 'Greenway' expansion
- TN: 'Park Smart' program urges safety at Murfreesboro parks
- MN: The high-priced paved bike trail Bloomington doesn't want
- CO: Palisade hoping to make bike trail, boost economy
- FL: Social media campaign seeks transit and mobility solutions
- SPA: Spain Tops New Count of Bicycling Growth
- OR: New Sellwood Bridge opens with a "Dang!"
- OR:Southeast Portland elementary warns parents about unsafe cycling
- CO: Denver's Latest Bike Plan Comes Up Short
- WA: Eastside Trail takes big step forward
- CA: Critics Push Back Against Bait Bike Program
- Taiwan: Taipei Leads Asia With Millions of Bike Rentals
- NYC: Citi Bike Membership Hike Kicks In
Main Avenue Connector Project Design Unveiled
Cleveland, OH - "...The Chicago-based firm, which specializes in urban design and civic environments, unveiled the latest version of designs for its proposed Main Avenue Connector project Thursday." more...
Avon Lake Bike Path may be Coming
Avon Lake, OH - " Four years ago representatives from the City of Avon Lake met with officials from the Cleveland Clinic about a proposed bike path..." more
Yay Bikes! February Report
Columbus, OH - "Welcome to the monthly feature in which we round up all our events, earned media, program delivery, meetings and speaking engagements for the month..." more
QC Group Taking on National Trail Work
IL - "The Quad Cities Convention & Visitors Bureau is taking over marketing and administration for the American Discovery Trail..." more
Funding Bills Could Restrict Bike Lane, Trail & Sidewalk Projects
TN - "...Matt Farr, executive director of Bike Walk Tennessee, and Johnson City cyclist Dan Reese are trying to get the word out that tightening Tennessee's budget on the backs of recreational types is the exact opposite strategy to what it should be doing." more...
Santa Monica Getting Pedestrian Scrambles
CA - "...A pedestrian scramble is not a cannibalistic breakfast dish, but a method of traffic control that supposedly makes crossing the street safer for pedestrians. It simultaneously halts car traffic in all four directions..." more
Teen Gunned Down on Greenway Trail
Richmond, CA - "...The victim was apparently found on the Richmond Greenway trail. Police said witnesses reported seeing a male suspect running from the scene." more...
- GA: New amenities open at Augusta Canal trailhead
- AL: New Rotary Trail in downtown Birmingham
- LA: A free gym is taking over the Lafitte Greenway
- MT: Helena to Montana City trail under consideration
- IL: Geneseo seeks grant for bike trail
- CA: Long road to safety on Chico bike path
- WA:Eastside Rail Corridor Could Get Bicycle Path Makeover
- PA: New Sharon bike lanes may connect with Buhl Farm, Trout Island trail
- CO: Second phase of U.S. 36 bike path opens
- ITA: Polluted Milan wants to pay commuters to bike to work
- OR: Portland celebrates opening of new Sellwood Bridge
Metroparks Plans to Rebuild Fort Hill Steps
Norrth Olmsted, OH - "Plans are under way by the Cleveland Metroparks to replace the popular Fort Hill steps in the Rocky River Reservation. Work will begin in the spring..." more
Mental Health Suffers When We Surrender to Car Culture
"...Of all the many things we surrender when we commit to making most, or all, of our trips by car, the most important may be the most difficult to measure: our mental health..." more
- CA: Hiker Injured on Trail Near Murrieta
- AUS: Government uses powers to approve Darebin bike trail completion
- KS: Wichita plans more bike-lane routes
- LA: New bicycle route to join north, south Opelousas
Change Made to Improve Crossing Safety for Cyclists
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...vehicles heading down Columbus have not been stopping to watch for bicycles crossing Main Street at the new crossing." more...
The Prospect Park West Bike Lane War Rages On
NYC - "...The hearing in Brooklyn Supreme Court was the first in the case in two years, and the only people representing the opponents of separated space for non-motorized travel were members of a five-person team from the law firm Gibson Dunn..." more
Program Teaches Middle Students Bike Maintenance
La Crosse, WI - "...Any student can bring his or her bike to Bike Works for repairs, help and learn how to fix up a bike donated to the club. Students can also earn their own bike and helmet by getting their hands dirty." more...
- WA: Gear Grinders plan 'Mountain Bike Movie Night' fundraiser
- UK: Number of London cyclists 'equal to a fifth of Tube passengers'
Mad River Trail Closes for Bridge Construction
Dayton, OH - "The section of the Mad River Bike Trail that goes under the Harshman Bridge will be closed for the remainder of the bridge construction. Detour signs are posted directing to the traffic light at the Eastwood MetroPark entrance.
"...The section of the Mad River Bike Trail that goes under Webster St. Bridge will be open and closed intermittently during the demolition and construction..." more...
Towpath Section to Close for Repairs
Brecksville, OH - "The National Park Service (NPS) will temporarily close the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, from Fitzwater Road to Frazee House, from Tuesday, March 1 through Friday, March 4 and again from Monday, March 7 through Friday, March 11. The trail will be open weekends only during this time. No detour is provided. NPS maintenance staff will be repairing a breach in the canal. more...
Portland's New Bike Rack Design Aims to Thwart Thieves
OR - "...PBOT has engineered a new rack that should be much harder to compromise. The new design includes a steel crossbar, a wire cable that floats inside the steel pipe, and a stronger method for anchoring the rack to the ground." more...
California Approves $133 Million for Trails
CA - "...RTC recently learned that the California Transportation Commission has approved $133 million for 59 trail projects and separated bikeways..." more...
Bicyclist has Gun Pulled on Him on Greenway Trail
San Antonio, TX - "A man said he experienced bike path rage on the northwest side, when another bicyclist pulled a gun on him." more...
- GA: Plan for Big Creek Greenway in west Forsyth proceeding
- IN: Details outlined on proposed $3.9 million trail on Goshen's west side
- SC: As Spanish Moss Trail grows, related activity could boom
- CA: La Mesa mobilizes on trail plan
- OR: Portland Figured Out How to Get Kids Walking and Biking to School
- BRA: Sao Paulo's Carfree Movement Reduces Air and Noise Pollution
- UK: Cyclists alerted to dangers of using bike racks with gaffer tape on them
The Magic Bike of the Future
"Bike advocates are always looking for the next big thing that will get more people out of their cars and riding bikes." more...
Bike Path Spur to Chauncey Pursued
$1.1M Recommended in State Funding for Wasson Way Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "...If approved by State legislators, the funding would go toward construction of Phase 2 of the trail..." more
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Campsites in the Works
Driver Who Killed Cyclists Found Not Guilty
Brecksville, OH - "...Throughout proceedings, the defense attempted to complicate and distort a simple truth: two people are dead because of the reckless actions of another..." more
Read another report on this topic.
Y-Not Cycling Moving Closer to Bike Trail
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...Y-Not Cycling and Fitness will be relocating its bicycle store from 133 S. Main St. to 206 S. Main St. in downtown Mount Vernon." more...
Oregon is 2nd State to Drop 'Share the Road' Signs
Portland, OR - "...The State of Oregon has decided that those signs mean different things to different people so they've taken the step of officially phasing them out..." more
Police Cite Illegal Campers on Greenway Sweep
Portland, OR - "...Police said usually about two tons of trash are removed from these cleanups..." more
Protected Intersections Arrive in the U.S.
"Protected intersections - long a fixture in Dutch urban design - arrive to increase cycling safety in four US cities." more...
Making a Case For Sharrows
"These days, sharrows can't get no respect... But are they really the dregs of bike infrastructure?.." more
Want Community? Build Walkability
"...Build places where it's delightful to walk, and pedestrians magically appear. Make it safe to bike, and cyclists come out of the woodwork." more...
- NC: Phase 4 Introduced For Downtown Greenway
- MI: Groomed fat bike trail diverts conflict
- WV: Mount Hope plans trails to tie in with other initiatives
- TX: Police consider banning pedestrians on curbs and medians
- IA: Bill Would Require Motorists to Change Lanes for Cyclists
- MN: Number of pedestrians killed in Minnesota up 240 percent
- KY: Parking Spaces to Be Replaced by "Parklets" in Covington
- WA: Sound Transit says No to cargo bikes on light rail
- MT: 4 State Parks Getting New Bicycle Campsites
Councilman Wants to Remove Part of Central Parkway Bike Lane
Cincinnati, OH - "Cincinnati Councilman Christopher Smitherman wants nearly a half mile of the Central Parkway protected bikeway removed." more...
Removing Central Parkway Bikeway Is a Bad Idea
Cincinnati, OH - "...Making taxpayers cough up money to remove safety infrastructure designed to protect cyclists from drivers because drivers aren't paying attention to signage seems perverse to me." more...
Metroparks Ready to Launch Water Taxi in the Flats
Cleveland, OH - "...the 26-foot, canopied boat - which can carry 18 passengers and four bikes -- will shuttle people only between the east and west banks of the river directly below the Main Avenue Bridge..." more
Bike Cleveland News
Cleveland, OH - Read their January E-news.
Riverfront Commons Trail to be part of first Urban Trail Town
KY - "...the state of Kentucky has the smallest part of the American Discovery Trail but we could market our part of the trail as 'the state you can do in a day'." more...
Possible Designs for Covington's Riverfront Emerge
KY - "Without question, the City of Covington has lagged behind its neighbors in terms of attracting residents and visitors to its riverfront..." more
Custom-Built De-Icer for Protected Bike Lanes
TN - "As we wrote the other day, clearing snow and ice from protected bike lanes isn't hard. It just requires some effort.
"Fortunately for Chattanooga, Tennessee, that's no problem." more...
9 out of 10 Drivers Admit Risky Behavior
"Almost 90 percent of drivers admit to engaging in at least one risky behavior while behind the wheel within the past month, according to AAA." more...
- PA: State park evicts tiny houses
- PA: People, communities eager for Ohio River trail, recreational paths
- NC: Greensboro's 2 greenway concepts to be unveiled
- OR: Medford Police gear up for greenway sweep
- CA: Transient arrested in slaying of Irvine man on bike path
- WI: More Bike And Pedestrian Trail Funding Urged
- NY: Park agency approves plans to create North Country rail trail
- IA: Some bike trails flooded in Des Moines metro
- OR: Why does County allow auto parking on Morrison Bridge bike path?
- OR: Painted Hills Scenic Bikeway named Oregon's 15th official route
- CZE: Build bike path not rail, say Prague residents
- TX: Fate of Houston's bike plan in hands of drivers
- NV: Project planned to make part of Charleston Blvd safer for peds
- CA: Should California give subsidies to people buying bicycles?
Springfield Bike Path Extension will link Parks
Springfield, OH - "The Springfield Conservancy District will spend about $500,000 to extend the bike path underneath the Plum Street bridge, connecting Veterans Park and Snyder Park..." more
Trial Begins For Driver Who Struck, Killed Cyclists
Brecksville, OH - "...Timothy J. Wolf, 42, is charged with two counts of vehicular homicide and one count of willful or wanton disregard of public safety..." more
Sights set on New Earthworks Acquisition
Chillicothe, OH - "...that five-acre corridor would be part of the land acquisition to be converted into a pedestrian or multiple-use pathway that would allow visitors to spend a day exploring both earthworks and perhaps be able to tie into existing bike trails..." more
Bridge to be Replaced, Bike Path Added
Deerfield Twp., OH - "...The now two-lane bridge will be replaced with a five-lane bridge with a bike path..." more
Cyclist Pulled Off Bike, Beaten, Robbed on 606 Trail
Chicago, IL - "A cyclist who was riding on The 606 after it closed for the evening late Friday was attacked and mugged by a group of men..." more
Program Provides Gentrification Defense Near Chicago's 606 Bike Trail
Chicago, IL - "That beautiful new bike lane, known as the 606, in Chicago has brought along with it local concerns about gentrification..." more...
Swedish Road Design & Vision Zero
"Road safety in Sweden follows a basic concept: human beings are flawed." more...
- NC: Plans advance for East Asheville greenway
- IL: Woman reports being attacked on bike trail
- CA: San Diego Could Build a Connected Protected Bike Lane Network
- IN: Indy's first pedestrian plan
- OR: Commissioner: Bikes should rank beneath mass transit
- OR: Bicycle rider involved in collision with WES commuter train
'Was She Texting?' Asks Injured Bike Rider
Angier, NC - "...Two cyclists hit by a car Saturday in Angier have been released from the hospital, while two other riders hit remain in WakeMed's Intensive Care Unit." more...
Bike Theft Task Force Receives $4K Donation
Portalnd, OR - "The City of Portlandâ€™s Bike Theft Task Force has received a financial boost from the largest bike club in town." more...
State Officials Say No to I-30 as Boulevard
AR - "Transforming the Interstate 30 corridor through downtown Little Rock and North Little Rock into a tree-lined boulevard has "aesthetic benefits" but would worsen "safety and mobility" within the corridor, the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department said." more...
- NE: First stage of Prairie Corridor trail complete
- LA: New Lafitte Greenway feature welcomes cyclists
- GA: Work on greenway underway
- MO: Grant's Trail expansion moving forward after winning $2 million grant
- CA: San Diego Is Ready to Go Big on Biking and Walking
- FL: A short walk could help solve downtown Tampaâ€™s parking crunch
- TX: 5 Things to Know about Houstonâ€™s New Bike Plan
- WA: Seattle Neighborhood Greenways gets Federal award
Piqua Receives 2nd Bike-Friendly Award
Piqua, OH - "After the city of Piqua was recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Community in November, Piqua's municipality is stepping up its efforts as well when it comes to embracing the bicyclist lifestyle." more...
Kinnear Road to get Pedestrian-Friendly Upgrades
Columbus, OH - "...The sidewalks have been discussed for a long time, Franklin County Projects Engineer Ted Beidler said in an email..." more
Learn More About Ohio Bike Laws
"Explore bike law throughout the MORPC region..." more
Bicyclists Mobilize to Fight Bill
TN - "...The bill, sponsored by Carter, R-Ooltewah, in the House and Sen. Todd Gardenhire, R-Chattanooga, in the Senate, would ban the use of state gas tax revenue to pay for many bicycle and pedestrian transportation projects." more...
Driver Attempts Unsafe Pass, Hits 4 Cyclists
Angier, NC - "Four experienced cyclists are being treated at WakeMed Hospital after authorities say they were thrown from their bikes after being hit by a driver. more...
Hikers Concerned With Trail Expansion
IN - "When several hikers arrived at the Tecumseh Trail in Morgan - Monroe State Forest earlier this month, they weren't prepared for what lay ahead of them." more...
- NE: Lincoln's trails continue to grow
- NE: First stage of Prairie Corridor trail complete
- LA: 180-mile-long Creole Nature Trail loops through wetlands
- WA: Trail plan for new Lake Whatcom park
- WI: Marshfield considering bike routes
- TX: Houston Unveils a Bold New Citywide Plan for Bicycling
- MN: Can skyways co-exist with urban street design?
- BEL: Brussels Claims Mice Ate Its Master Road Plans
- NJ: Man shot multiple times while riding bike
Embrace the bike, Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH - "...Statistics suggest Cincinnati is catching on to this. The number of bicycle commuters in Cincinnati grew 350 percent from 2000 to 2014..." more
- CO: Some hoping to apply the brakes to trail momentum
- WI: Union Grove working to convert old train tracks into bike path
- TX: Brownsville hears public views about railway
Groups Working Toward More Bike Paths in Oxford
Oxford, OH - "Efforts to increase the number of dedicated bike paths and lanes as well as expanding the area's recreational trails were all discussed during a recent forum on providing more facilities for physical activity in the city." more...
Woman Indicted in Fatal Hit-Skip
Medina, OH - "...The bicyclist, John Zavisva, 48, of Brunswick, died Nov. 6 at MetroHealth Medical Center..." more
Cyclists' Responsibilities Under the Law
Columbus, OH - "Around these parts we focus much more on cyclists' right to the road than their legal responsibilities..." more
Change Is Afoot on the Country's Most Important Street Design Committee
"...The obscure but powerful National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, which has often been a drag on changes in American street design, is now moving on several fronts to bring in new blood and prepare U.S. streets for a future that'd be much friendlier to biking and walking." more...
The Last Days of Dave Mirra
"When news broke that Dave Mirra, the most dominant and decorated BMX star in X Games history, had committed suicide at age 41 in his hometown of Greenville, North Carolina, on February 4, his friends thought it was an Internet hoax..." more...
Trails not Built for E-Bikes: Orillia Councillor
CAN - "...As Ralph Cipolla continues his quest to have the bikes turfed from local trails, the Ward 2 councillor is turning back the clock for the evidence he says will put the matter to rest." more...
Germany's New Bike Highways
"...For a long time, the Danish capital, Cope