2017 News Archive
Links are not maintained in the Archive.
Vote Kills Fair Train, Clears way for Greenway
IN - "...The plan by the Nickel Plate Heritage Railroad would kill the popular Indiana State Fair Train for good." more...
Swapping Cars for Bikes, Not Diesel for Electric
"Cycling can be a huge part of the fight to tackle city air pollution. Tim Burns of Sustrans explains how their Active Travel Toolbox can help us get there." more...
Amateur Racer Disqualified from Race for Mechanical Doping
"The third-place finisher reportedly admitted to using a motor, but now denies the confession." more...
- IN: Bike trail from Niles to Mishawaka set to open in September 2018
- IRE: Slieve Bloom bike trail secures €1m public funds
- CAN: Saint John cyclists work together to improve Rockwood Park
- LA: what will be the future of the Lafitte Greenway?
- VA: Greenway System Grows - In Vinton This Time
- LA: Temporary bike lane on St Bernard Avenue
Lessons from the Cultural Trail
Cleveland, OH - "...Before the Cultural Trail, 'we didn't have a bad reputation, we had no reputation,' Payne told a full house of about 150 at the City Club." more...
Senator Loves to Talk about Taxing & Criticizing Cyclists
CO - "...'I think there's a lot of pent-up anger out there - a bunch of people that have had to deal with bad situations with bicyclers - and I think it's got that group pretty fired up,' Scott said." more...
Land Managers Ponder Future with E-Bikes
"...E-bike use has exploded over the past year. Once spurned by cyclists, they are now getting more respect in a cycling industry always on the prowl for the next niche segment." more...
- ME: Acadia receives $192K for trail maintenance
- PA: Apollo looks to piggyback on the Roaring Run trail
- AZ: Recreation growth ripples north of Grand Canyon National Park
- AL: Dry Creek Greenway to set the tone for connectivity
- MA: Boston doesn't practice what Walsh is preaching
- AUS: Cyclists targeted by assailant suspected of deliberately pouring oil over bike paths
East Coast Greenway Making its Mark
"...Right now, about a third of the East Coast Greenway - more than 900 miles - consists of protected traffic-free trails..." more
Concord Hopes to Demo a Protected Bike Lane
NH - "Concord cycling advocates are planning to demonstrate a different type of bike lane that uses parked cars as a barrier between traffic and riders." more...
Cycling Helps Relieve Parkinson's Symptoms
"Biking brings hope - and relief - even when modern medicine can't." more...
Tree Removal along Towpath Section
CVNP, OH - From nps.gov, "There will be removal of hazardous trees along the Towpath between Station Rd. and Red Lock. This will take place the week of 7/31. Please be aware of the work zone and equipment in this area."
Body Found along Hike-Bike Trail
Kearney, NE - "An autopsy has been ordered on the body of a man found Thursday night inside a tent along Kearney's hike-bike trail." more...
Let's Keep Motors off our Bike Trails
"...The manufacturers are hoping electric bicycles will help them dramatically increase sales. And they're working with some surprising partners to win electric bicycles access to the precious few areas where bicyclists now are free from motorized traffic: off-road routes such as the Capital Crescent Trail." more...
Do Jaywalking Laws do more Harm than Good?
"The concept of 'jaywalking' has become deeply embedded in American culture, but if you go back just a few generations, the idea that your mere presence in the street could be illegal was a novel idea..." more
- GA:Sandy Spring lets $711K Greenway South contract
- VA: Environmental group, planners hope to boost area trails
- CT: Winsted Trails members, residents dedicate downtown City Walk trail
- WI: Stolen SUV found buried under dirt bike trail
- IN: Oakland City's new bike trail is almost finished
- VA: Virginia Capital Trail is creating tourism and business opportunities
- WI: County awarded $10,000 for parks
- OR: As stationless bike share booms in Seattle, Portland stands pat
- WA: LimeBike gets 2,000 rides in two days
Olentangy Trail Section to Close Again
Possible Suicide on North Coast Inland Trail
Pittsburgh Looks to Reboot Bike Share
PA - "...the ridership trends have inspired officials to revamp the system into a hybrid docked-dockless system as well as expand." more...
Montgomery County Leads D.C. Area in Cycling Infrastructure
D.C. - "If you were heading out on a tour of Washington's greatest bike lanes, you might think to start with 15th Street..." more
Appeals Court Revives Injured Woman's Lawsuit
San Diego, CA - "A San Diego appeals court on Thursday reversed a ruling that threw out a lawsuit by a woman who sued the city over injuries she suffered when a tree branch fell on her in Mission Bay Park." more...
Should Police be able to Block Bike Lanes?
"A lot of cyclists complain about cops parking in bike lanes..." more
Speed Kills, and We're Not Doing Enough to Stop It
"More than 112,500 people lost their lives in speed-related crashes from 2005 to 2014, accounting for 31 percent of all traffic deaths in America over that period..." more
- IN: People Trails projects good investments for community
- AR: County approves bike trail
- NY: Mountain bike group, Rockland County at odds over trail use
- VT: PRKR MTN Mountain Bike Trails Nears Grand Opening
- FL: Miami Beach Scores $3 Million Grant for Atlantic Greenway
- NY: Bike share launches in Capital Region Thursday
- CO: Denver Police ticket bicyclists for running red lights in Denver
- WA: Seattle LimeBike officially launches
Holmes County Trail Construction Update
Holmes County, OH - From Greg L, "The trail is beautifully paved from the Rte 62 underpass north to Township/County Rd 75. It is paved farther north of that (not into Glenmont yet), but it's not the finished layer.
"They have painted the trail overpasses a bright white. Today they were working in 4 different sections of the trail...
"The trail in Glenmont from County/Township Rd 7 heading south to Brinkhaven was still dirt as far as the eye could see. However they were working there too..."
Tri-County Trail Bridge may be Closed
Ross County, OH - From Tri-County Triangle Trail, Inc., "The Ross County Park District has completed a preliminary inspection of bridge 15 (mile 23) located 1.1 miles north of Old US 35 and 1.2 miles east of Fairview Rd (Fayette County). The preliminary bridge inspection shows that there are some issues with the deck and abutments. A full inspection will be completed soon.
"The bridge may be closed to trail traffic as early as Monday, July 24 until repairs can be completed. If there are closed signs please obey them.
"Detour: If you are east bound turn right onto Fairview Rd, then left onto Old US 35 and proceed 2.1 miles and turn right back onto trail. If westbound turn left onto Old US 35 and go 2.1 miles, turn right onto Fairview Rd and proceed .5 miles to trail. Total distance of detour is 2.6 miles. The detour is only .1 miles longer than trail route."
Sandusky Township Seeks Public Input
Sandusky Township, OH - "Residents can get a first look Tuesday at a master plan for a proposed new Sandusky Township Park along Ohio 19 that could eventually link up to the North Coast Inland Trail..." more
Sandusky Considers Bike Lanes along Shoreline Drive
Sandusky, OH - "...During a recent public meeting, planners hired by Sandusky city commissioners unveiled three artist renderings reimagining what Shoreline Driveâ€™s entire stretch spanning downtown might look like." more...
Car-free Schuylkill Bridges
Philadelphia, PA - "...Completing the recently opened trio of traffic-free, trail-connecting Schuylkill crossings is the rehabbed $5 million Pencoyd Bridge, a serene, pale-green beauty between Manayunk and Lower Merion, a mile downriver from the Manayunk Bridge..." more
New Bait Bike Program in Portland
Portland, OR - "A new program being run by the Portland Police Bureau Bike Theft Task Force is showing early returns." more...
Bodies of Man, Dog Found Along Anacostia Riverwalk Trail
D.C. - "A man and a dog were fatally shot Wednesday along a Northeast D.C. trail, sources say." more...
Citi Bike Worries about Proposed Helmet Law
NYC - "...The legislation would require that any person operating a bike wear a helmet. This would impact Citi Bike, an organization with more than 10,000 bikes all over the city." more...
- AR: Bike Trail Debate Between LR and Hot Springs
- KS: Trailblazing at Alcove Spring
- CAN: Quebec runner injured on trap set on local trail
- MN: Petition against proposed bike trail
- MN: Fishermen leave catfish to rot on the Greenway
- LA: 14-year-old boy accused of robbing cyclist at gunpoint
- CAN: Canada Post, Toronto's 'worst offender' for blocking bike lanes
- CO: 5 Percent of Denver Streets Account for Half of All Traffic Deaths
- NLD: The Cargo Bikesharing Pilot Serving 19 Swiss Cities
- OR: 77-year-old struck by drunk driver while riding trike
- WA: WA Ferries won't charge more for most bike trailers
- FL: Run, walk or bike 'Toxic Trail' from Lake Okeechobee to Stuart Beach to protest discharges
CORA: Don't Blame Us for Damaged Burial Mounds
Mariemont, OH - "The Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance (CORA) says it is not responsible for a trail extension and offshoots in a Mariemont park that apparently led to an increase in mountain bikers and damage to Native American burial mounds and pioneer sites." more...
NOACA Receives $300K for Active Transportation
Cleveland, OH - "The Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency has received more than $300,000 in grants to support "active transportation" initiatives, such as bicycling and walking." more...
City Leaders Plan 'Complete Streets' Project
Akron, OH - "City leaders have set in motion a long-term plan to raise nearly $12 million for a 'complete streets' makeover of North Main Street from the Y-bridge to Cuyahoga Falls." more...
New Metroparks Signs for the Colorblind
Toledo, OH - "...These signs will still have the usual color dot and mile marker on them. But now a trail abbreviation makes them readable to a very specific segment of the population." more...
Police to Step Up Greenway Speed Limit Enforcement
Carmel, IN - "The Carmel police chief has pledged to install more speed limit signs along the Monon Greenway after a city councilman raised a concern about bicyclists speeding on the popular trail." more...
Bicyclist Not Charged With Hitting Runner
Sacramento, CA - "Sacramento Running Association Hall of Famer Bill Finkbeiner was severely injured in a collision with a bicyclist last month while he was running on the American River Parkway." more...
[Interestingly, the article makes no mention of the runner's take on how the accident occurred.]
Oregon's 668-Mile Cross-State MTB Trail
OR - "...Starting in Hood River and extending south to the mines of Modoc County, California, the route projects to take 20 to 30 days to complete..." more
Why Biking to School is Often Illegal
"...When you learn to ride a bike, there's a big pride in that, especially the first time you cross a bridge in New York City or the first time that you ride your bike home by yourself..." more
The Hysteria over 'Distracted' Walking
"To read the news lately, you'd think thousands of millenials are so distracted by their iPhones that they are walking off cliffs and stepping in front of trucks..." more
- VA: Phase one of Greenway construction in Harrisonburg gets green light
- GA: Citizens Push Back Against Firefly Trail Cuts
- NM: City, The Reserve residents reach deal on bike trail
- MO: A Small Town Frets Over Losing An Economic Lifeline
- MA: Kids ride Stiles Pond mountain bike camp
- WA: Spin smashes Pronto ridership in week one
- OR: Neighborhood, advocates raise concern about Naito's new gap
- CAN: Alberta's 'Barbed Liar' Charged with Fraud, Mischief
Mountain Bikers Damage Native American Burial Mounds
Mariemont, OH - "Mountain bikers have damaged two Native American burial mounds and some historic pioneer sites in Mariemont's Dogwood Park." more...
Dayton High Line Likely Years Away
Dayton, OH - "...The project has a lot of community support, but acquiring the line and transforming it could be a lengthy process, likely taking years, said Brian Inderrieden, acting director of Dayton's department of planning and community development." more...
Making the Most of Dayton's New Indoor Bike Park
Dayton, OH - "...The two-story bike park has been a labor of love for Bisig and more than 100 volunteers who helped transform the 50,000-square-feet of space into a challenging and fun facility for the entire family..." more
Towpath Times - Special Edition
NE OH - Read the E-news.
Trail Users Ignoring 'Closed' Signs
PA - "...Work on the trail with the use of heavy machinery to roll and compress limestone can pose dangers to trail users, and they should go to another part of the trail that is open, Haven said." more...
Electric Bikes Approved On Local Trails
Walnut Creek, CA - "If you own an electric bike, you just got two new options for commuting to work - the Contra Costa Canal Regional Trail and the Iron Horse Trail..." more
Community Takes Notice to Greenway Cleanup Efforts
Medford, OR - "The Bear Creek Greenway is getting a lot of attention from law enforcement." more...
Fayetteville Lunches Tactical Urbanism Program
Fayetteville, AR - "Residents who want to take care of their neighborhood's immediate concerns, such as safely crossing the street, slowing down cars or creating bicycle lanes, now can do so on their own with city approval." more...
Rescuers Save Stranded Hikers
AZ - "As Steve West dangled from a rope hooked to a hovering helicopter, he wrapped his arms tightly around the 4-year-old boy he had just plucked from raging floodwaters below." more...
Pickup Driver Beats 74-Year-Old Cyclist with Club
CAN - "A driver exited his vehicle and was caught on camera beating a cyclist with a club." more...
The Future of Transportation Taxes
"Oregon's new $5.3 billion transportation package includes an interesting wrinkle: a bicycle tax..." more
Rails-to-Trails Green Issue
"Rails to Trails magazine is pleased to present our 2017 Green Issue, featuring a collection of amazing videos and slideshows highlighting America's trails..." more
- WA: Yakima Greenway fire 'was set by a person,' officials believe
- SC: 3 Rivers Greenway breaks ground on Saluda Riverwalk
- VA: Construction underway on Roanoke Valley Greenway expansion
- CA: 13-mile Sonoma Valley Trail to allow Santa Rosa-to-Sonoma cycling
- AR: County officials will revive proposal for 65-mile hike and bike trail
- HI: Historic trail in Maui will reopen as part of settlement
- FL:FDOT looks to lower speed limits across Tampa Bay
- NC: Mountain bikers held at gunpoint in Pisgah National Forest
Upper Arlington Gets New Bike Path
Upper Arlington, OH - "...Once completed, the new bicycle boulevard will extend west-to-east along West 5th Avenue between Riverside Drive and Arlington Avenue, connecting Upper Arlington and the village of Marble Cliff's existing bike lanes and paths to the Scioto Greenway Trail..." more
Beating & Robberies along Chicago Bike Trail
IL - "A string of robberies on the popular 606 bike trail has residents on high alert, and police are warning about the thefts." more...
Dockless Bike Shares Launch in Seattle
WA - "...Upon hearing about these services launching in my town, I got excited..." more
- CAN: Longtime trail-maker needs new knees
- TX: Eva Garcia in the national spotlight for trail work
- KS: Electric bike store opens in Topeka
- PA: Eddystone pushes completion of Circuit Trails by 2025
- IRE: Limerick's Barnagh Tunnel to be reunited with Great Southern Greenway
Tree Down on Simon Kenton Trail
Urbana, OH - "Where this trails splits in Urbana to head towards Bellefontaine at the Depot Coffee House in Urbana, about .5m up the path there is a downed tree across the bike trail. It extends across the path almost to the train tracks.
"It is still attached at the trunk so I was unable to move it. You will have to walk around it to continue on to Bellefontaine or to finish coming into Urbana."
Submitted by D Andy
Legislation Looks to Allow E-Bikes on Michigan Trails
Montague, MI - "As electric-assisted bikes begin to pick up speed across the country, Michigan is also trying to take advantage of the market." more...
$53M to U.S. National Parks
CO - "...The Interior Department says in a release that Congress has provided $20 million, and $33 million will come from outside organizations. The funding will help improve trails, restore buildings and increase visitor access to the parks." more...
Is Mountain Biking the Next Golf?
NZ - "The surge of interest in mountain biking is proving a boon, not just to individual fitness, but also to the regions keen to embrace the sport." more...
- TAS: Mountain bike trail network splits Tasmania's St Helen's community
- VA: Singing the praises of city's walking and biking trails
- OR: Ecotourism on the South Coast
- AL: Anniston officials launch youth bike program
- TX: Lubbock bicycle rider seriously injured by pickup that swerved into lane
Summit Metroparks Reports Car Break-Ins
Summit County, OH - "Officials from the Summit Metro Parks are asking for the public's assistance in helping to prevent break-ins like a series of seven that were reported July 20.
"Seven cars parked in six locations had windows smashed and purses taken, according to rangers." more...
Family MTB Trail Ribbon Cutting
Medina, OH - "...The new family path covers basically flat land with obstacles and features that are fun and challenging without being too difficult..." more
Artists Create Mural for Red Line Greenway Project
Cleveland, OH - "...The 2.5-mile Red Line Greenway is the brainchild of the Rotary Club of Cleveland. It will run along the Regional Transit Authority's Red Line, from the Zone Recreation Center at West 65th Street to downtown Cleveland at Superior Avenue and West Ninth Street..." more
Calgary Cyclist's Injury Claim was Fraudulent
CAN - "Cochrane RCMP have laid charges against a Calgary cyclist who claimed he was hurt while riding along a trail in Bragg Creek." more...
Want People to Bike? Skip the Sweet Talk and Build
"People don't start biking because they like bicycles. They start to like bicycles because they bike." more...
- CAN: Clearing up Greenway 'confusion'
- NC: Myrtle Beach first city to complete its Greenway route
- VA: A Bike Trail On A Highway?
- MA: Recreation Plan In Bourne To Include Bike Path Extension
- FL: Why Are Florida's Streets So Deadly for Cycling?
- OR: Portland set to lower bike commute mode share target
- OR: 'Adaptive Biketown' program brings new riders to the fore
Man Robbed, Threatened in Wildwood Park
Cleveland, OH - "A 20-year-old man was robbed of his bike while hiking in Cleveland Metropark's Wildwood Park." more...
Ohio & Erie CanalWay Founder Dies
NE OH - "We are deeply saddened by the passing of Congressman Ralph Regula, founder of the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area..." more
Lakewood's Trikeable Treats
Cleveland, OH - "...Jeff and Torey Worron of Lakewood are changing things up in the mobile food business by selling treats from a bike." more...
Detroit gets $750K for Belle Isle Trail
MI - "...$750,000 will go towards a 6-mile long trail that will loop around the island and will be handicap accessible." more...
City to Close Trail to Clear Homeless Encampments
HI - "...Starting next month, the city will be cleaning up the Pearl Harbor Bike Path in an effort to revitalize the trail and keep the community safe." more...
Massive Sinkhole only 1 of Greenway's Problems
NYC - "A massive sinkhole that has opened up on the East River Greenway near 23rd Street..." more
Biggest Infrastructure Project is a 3,000-Mile Trail
"...As lawmakers grapple with how to fix the country's crumbling roads, bridges, and dams, local governments are quietly at work on the East Coast Greenway, a 3,000-mile, mostly car-free bike path through 15 states." more...
Has Precedent Been set to Tax Bikes?
"Oregon has yet to collect a penny from a pioneering tax on bicycles to pay for infrastructure, and already at least one lawmaker from another state is thinking about getting into the act." more...
Undercover Cops Target Drivers Who Make Dangerous Passes
London - "Drivers who fail to give cyclists enough space when overtaking will be pulled over, and officers will explain how to overtake cyclists safely." more...
What a Chinese Bike-Sharing Company Can Teach Global Businesses
London - "On the morning this issue went to press, I borrowed a stranger's silver-and-orange bicycle, rode it two kilometers, then left it leaning against a streetlamp at a city intersection." more...
- IRE: Greenway champion 'snubbed' by Council
- CT: Council approves action on pedestrian bridge
- MN: New trail segment in Hastings completes 10-mile scenic circuit
- VT: Perry Hill bike trail honors Andy Langlois
- ID: Slow down! Ketchum reminds of speed limit on bike trails
- AZ: New mountain bike park one step closer to construction
- MN: Trail project encounters detour
- PA: group sues PPA to end median parking on Broad St.
- RI: Residents question sidewalk installation
- WA: Illicit skatepark on Green Lake's Duck Island
- TX: Austin bike crashes on the decline
- NC: Man charged with hitting, killing teen bicyclist smiles in mugshot
Cincy Offers Too Few Transpo Choices
Cincinnati, OH - "...Our transportation network in Cincinnati is unbalanced, unsafe, and not focused on the modes of transit that people are demanding today and that growing and prosperous cities around the country are offering..." more
Paving Projects in North Canton, Plain Township
North Canton, OH - "...One of the projects already underway is the construction of the Hoover Trail West in North Canton and Jackson Township. The pedestrian/bicycle trail will begin at the Hall of Fame bridge on Dressler Road and continue along West Maple Street to Cleveland Avenue and then to the North Canton YMCA." more...
City Adds Bike Lanes & Parking Spaces
Lancaster, PA - "...Adding on-street parking creates a buffer that puts sidewalk pedestrians at ease and helps out nearby businesses, the study says." more...
Adventure Cycling Bike Bits
Read the latest edition.
Users Abandoning Santa Ana River Trail
CA - "...It wasn't that I thought I would be intentionally attacked. But neither did I feel safe slowly threading between people who were either mentally ill, drug addicted or both." more...
FL Coast-to-Coast Bike & Hike Trail Segment Opens
St. Petersburg, FL - "...A critical 5-mile segment extending the Pinellas Trail to the Pasco border opens today..." more
Protected Bike Lane Removed, Replaced with Parking
Atlanta, GA - "...People were caught off-guard last week when a 1,000-foot section of the bike lane in front of the church was completely removed by the City - and replaced with dedicated parking spaces..." more
- PA: Coach accused of exposing self on walking trail
- WV: Arizona Boy Scouts construct boardwalk at Mountwood Park
- PA: Greenway app connects users to over 100 parks in Chester County
- IA: Bee Branch Creek Greenway set to open in Dubuque
- IN: It's 'past time' to enforce Monon Greenway rules
- NM: Santa Fe looking to move forward on bike trail plans
- CA: Interbike sells out its e-bike test track spots
- UT: Want to boost Utah economy, health? Invest in biking, walking
- CO: Now Colorado also wants to tax bikes
- WA: Spin reaches 1,000 rides in first two days
- FL: Boyfriend let her take blame for fatal bicycle crash he caused
- CA: Santa Rosa man arrested after golf-club attack injures bicyclist
'Opportunity Corridor' Isn't About Opportunity At All
Cleveland, OH - "The official line on the $331 million road project was that it was supposed to help poor Cleveland residents, not whisk people past their neighborhoods to reach the Cleveland Clinic. Now an official at the Clinic says otherwise." more...
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
66-Miles of Bike Trail Being Discussed
Hardeeville, SC - "...They've been working for three years on a master plan that will create 66 miles of linear trail in and around the city." more...
Armed Robbery on Lafitte Greenway
New Orleans, LA - "...According to the NOPD, a woman was riding her bike on the trail near St. Louis and Galvez around 9 p.m., Monday night when a young man approached her, pulled out a gun and demanded her bike." more...
Woman Steals her Stolen Bike Back
UK - "...Jenni Morton-Humphreys, 30, turned the tables on the thief with an ingenious sting, even though she was advised against doing so by the police." more...
How to Make Protected Bike Lanes More Effective
"...Protected bike lanes should go where people are already biking." more...
- IRE: Galway to Sligo Greenway petition passes 2 thousand signatures
- NM: City says east; condo group says west for bike trail
- WI: Man mugged walking on East Side bike trail
- AL: Dothan bike and walking route proposal moves forward
- MN: Bike lanes: coming to an East Side street near you
- WA: WA Ferries proposes huge fare increase for... bicycle trailers?
- MI: Shake-down periods suggest tweaks for Detroit's QLINE and MoGo services
Dayton Pushes Ahead for Trail Corridor
Dayton, OH - "The city of Dayton wants to contract with a consultant to help it land the 6.5 mile stretch of abandoned rail line it envisions for a new elevated bike trail." more...
Towpath Secures Funding
D.C. - "A federal program that pays for improvements at the Ohio & Erie Canalway will get the same amount of money it got last year..." more
Police Release Sketch of Murder Suspect
Delphi, IN - "...Indiana State Police are hoping the sketch will lead to the identification of the suspect in the murders of Liberty German, 14, and Abigail Williams, 13, on the Delphi Historic Trails on Feb. 13." more...
A Brilliant Plan for Bikes?
Pittsburgh, PA - "...D.J. Bryant, a designer at AE7 Planners and Architects, proposes an ambitious new idea - the Brilliant Branch Rail-to-Trail - that would increase connectivity and access to safe, affordable transportation options for several communities in the city..." more
Man Pleads Guilty to Hit-and-Run Killing
Georgetown, KY - "...The defendant faced charges of murder, wanton endangerment, leaving the scene of an accident, fleeing or evading police, and no operator's license. [Police also say he was drunk.]" more...
Cyclist Punched, Chased by Teens
Waterloo, IA - "...I estimated 10 black teenagers on the trail blocking it and I knew this wasn't a normal situation..." more
Latinos & Family Biking
"Most people find it pleasant to bike with people they know. But there's growing evidence that one category of Americans are particularly interested in it." more...
- CA: How getting around El Monte on a bike is about to get easier
- IL: City seeks state recognition for trails work
- NY: New trail opened at Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge in Seneca Falls
- CT: West Side Cycle Track Hits A Pothole
- CA: Bikeshare expansion blocked
- WA: Seattle bike share is now live
- OR: Biketown celebrates one year of service this week
- CA: Metro launches bike sharing in Pasadena
- NYC: Prospect Park Will Be Entirely Closed To Car Traffic This Summer
Troy Considers Test Bike Lane
Troy, OH - "Troy city officials are weighing the potential impact of a Troy city plan to close parking on the south side of Water Street including near the Miami County government and courts buildings to test a proposed bike lane." more...
Lick Run Greenway Plans
Cincinnati, OH - "Within the next few years, South Fairmount will be home to a lush, verdant park with a stream running through it -- an idyllic little patch of greenery known as the Lick Run Greenway." more...
Bill Targets Distracted Peds/Bicyclists
Honolulu, HI - "There is a ban to prevent distracted driving on Oahu, but now distracted pedestrians could also face fines..." more
Man Invents Leaf-Blower Bike
Clear Creek, CO - "...This is my invention of a bike vehicle sweeper and it's designed to get rid of debris that collects in the bike lanes and safety shoulders..." more
1st Bike Highway in Nova Scotia
CAN - "'They're going to be more prevalent around Canada', says highway design engineer." more...
Dockless Bike Shares hits the UK
UK - "China's 'Rainbow wars' are coming to the UK, as rival bike share firms set up operations: Ofo in Cambridge, Mobike in Manchester, and, just this week, Singapore's Obike arrived in London..." more
Drivers' Attitude Affects Their Behavior
"The attitude of the person at the wheel may affect how well they see people on bicycles." more...
- IE: Campaigners take to old rail track to show support for greenway
- NC: City receives $100,000 grant to finish part of Salisbury Greenway
- CAN: Call for improvements to Seaside Greenway for cyclists
- IA: Spencer man charged for connection with trail fires
- WI: Just 8% of Milwaukee residents live within a half mile of a trail
- TX: Sidewalk being built where boy was hit
Cincinnati Uptown/MLK Corridor Vision
Cincinnati, OH - "... The new MLK will frame a harmonious set of land uses geared to walkable commuting and auto-independence..." more
Rehab Starts on Greenway River Crossing
Westfield, MA - The bridge is going to connect two portions in the city over the Westfield River." more...
The End of Individual Car Ownership?
"A historic photo taken on Easter Sunday, 1900, shows a street filled with horse-drawn carriages..." more
Law Enforcement Patrols on Springfield Trails
Springfield, OH - "...The Little Miami Trail, Simon Kenton Trail and the east-west connector, Buck Creek Trail will be patrolled by certified bike patrol officers to off-duty staffing from now into early fall, Clark County Combined Health District officials said Friday." more...
Bike/Ped Bridge not in New Development Plans
Little Miami Scenic Trail News
Read the July edition.
Hit-and-Run Won't Deter Injured Rider
"After getting struck by a driver along the Natchez Trace Parkway in Tennessee, Tyler Noe says he intends to get back on the bike when he's physically able." more...
How Ethical Is Your Driving?
"...Perhaps because driving is so routine here, we tend not to give it much thought..." more
Read the July edition.
- NY: 46ers launch trailhead info program with new stewards
- OR: Massive amounts of trash collected from Greenway sweeps
- MN: River Regional Greenway trail around Hastings mostly complete
- NY: Adirondack region is getting a bike trail expansion
- IL: Moline Bike Trail Re-surfaced
- MN: Wheels turning on bike paths
- CA: Jeffrey Open Space Trail extension
- VA: Danville kicks off bike share program
- NY: DEC Expands Bike Trail System in The Adirondack Wilmington Forest
- IN: Southeastern Indiana towns adopt new bike share program
- OR: Motor vehicle madness is holding Portland hostage
Olentangy Trail Section Closing Aug. 1
Columbus, OH - "...The Olentangy Trail will be closed between Worthington Hills and Olentangy River Parklands at Wilson Bridge Road." more...
A Walking Plan for Downtown Akron
Akron, OH - "The John S. and James L. Knight Foundation is giving the Downtown Akron Partnership $1.5 million to help make the city's center more vibrant by making it a more inviting place for pedestrians." more...
Towpath Times - Special Edition
NE OH - "We need your help!" more...
Milwaukee Will Get First Bike Boulevards
WI - "The Riverwest neighborhood will likely be the site of Milwaukee's first 'bike boulevards,' on a stretch of N. Fratney St. between E. Keefe and E. Meinecke avenues..." more
Detroit gets $2M Trail Grant
MI - "Detroit has been awarded a $2 million grant for design plans to finish a pedestrian and bike path that encircles the city, officials said." more...
Body Found on Bike Path near Camp Lejeune
NC - "A body of an unidentified female was found near the main gate of Camp Lejeune Thursday morning..." more
Landscaping used as a 'Jaywalking Repellant'
FL - "...The state Department of Transportation installed the landscaping several months ago and is studying its effectiveness now." more...
The Fall of the Tiger?
"...A 2014 Government Office of Accountability report found that TIGER projects often violated internal controls, doling out funding to projects that had applied after deadlines or which were rated inferior to other applicants." more...
- IN: Flooding closures on the People Trail
- OR: Greenway sweep offers help, enforces code
- TN: Fayetteville looking to begin downtown greenway construction
- CO: RFTA delays decision on e-bikes during detour
- WA: New mountain biking trails opening outside Darrington
- MN: You just can't bike lanes, you have to maintain them, too
- OR: Blumenauer likes bike tax
- MD: Baltimore Battles Its Bike Lanes
- WA: Does SDOT show preferential treatment to cyclists at expense of disabled people?
Flooding Alert Issued for Columbus Greenways
Columbus, OH - From metroparks, "Expect flooding on all trails. Use Caution in areas of high water."
Upcoming Bike & Hike Trail Closure
Akron, OH - From summitmetroparks, "The Bike & Hike Trail, from Sowul Rd. to Norton Rd. in Stow, will be closed from 7 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Friday, 7/14 and Monday, 7/17. The trail will be open on the weekend. There will be additional trail closures in the near future as the contractor for ODOT and the City of Stow works to complete the project."
The Story Behind the High Street Ped Tunnel
Columbus, OH - "...Inside the simple tunnel, a few old yellow flood lights illuminate white concrete walls..." more
Bike Share Collaborates with Artists
Pittsburgh, PA - "...These 'Unicorn' bicycles are bikes that exist within the bike share system, but have a custom design..." more
Woman Pleads Guilty in Fatal Bike Crash, Pays Fine
Jonesboro, AR - "...a plea of guilty to the charges of overtaking a bicycle, and careless and prohibited driving." more...
- SC: Public Helping with Rocky Branch Greenway Design
- IRE: 'End in sight' for Clonmel Carrick Greenway
- MA: Work begins on $3.7M Columbia Greenway Rail Trail extension
- OR: Transient camp fire off of Bear Creek Greenway
- CAN: Mayor defends bike trail
- VA: Foundation Invests in Regional Bike and Pedestrian Trail System
- WA: DNR opens mtb trails
- OR: Portland set to adopt list of 105 'Vision Zero' projects
Roundtown Trail Officially Open
Circleville, OH - "...Chris Mullins, Pickaway County Engineer, said the trail is 1.5 miles long with two bridges; the one near OCU is a 16-foot steel truss bridge, and at the other end is a 12-foot pre-cast concrete structure." more...
Paving Underway along Holmes County Trail
Holmes County, OH - Paving has begun on the Holmes County Trail section from the Rt. 62 tunnel, near Brinkhaven to Glenmont.
'Dooring' on the Rise in U.S.
Cleveland, OH - "...They're also happening, with sometimes life-altering consequences, in Cleveland, where miles of newer bike lanes are ushering in the increasingly popular form of transportation." more...
Cyclist Forced off Bike Path by Truck Driver
Portland, OR - "A man in a pickup truck allegedly forced a bicycle rider off the I-205 bike path in southeast Portland Saturday afternoon." more...
Man Arrested in Greenway Assault Case
Grand Forks, ND - "...Robert John Burr, 48, is the man East Grand Forks Police and Polk County prosecutors believe barreled into a woman on the Greenway and physically assaulted her June 26." more...
Was Barbed Wire Booby Trap Trail Story Faked?
CAN - "Recent reports of a mountain biker being clotheslined by a booby trap consisting of barbed wire strung across a popular mountain bike trail in West Bragg Creek, Alberta, are being met with suspicion by local Alberta mountain bikers online..." more
Oil Poured on Capital City Trail
AUS - "Melbourne cyclists have raised concerns for their safety after the fire brigade was called to remove oil from Capital City Trail twice in one day." more...
Kids Push Bike into Street to Upend Cyclists
UK - "Instagram video shows the shocking moment a group of children deliberately pushed a bike into the path of a group of cyclists." more...
- CA: Armed men still on loose after robbing trail rescuers
- UT: Cyclist succumbs to injuries on mountain bike trail
- MN: Plan calls for towers and bike bridge over France Avenue in Edina
- WI: Milwaukee Is Unequal for Bike Users
- UT: What you can learn from a death on a MTB trail
- VA: Glade Creek Greenway opens to public
- GA: Gator spotted at Greenway
- MA: Boston's Crosswalk Crisis
- NLD: Dutch app allows elderly to 'hack' traffic lights
- NY: New Bike Sharing Program Begins In Utica
- TN: Man charged in Natchez Trace Parkway hit-and-run
100 Speeding Tickets Dismissed
Toledo, OH - "...Those ticketed were fined for driving over the school zone speed limit, but were actually driving outside the school zone..." more
Driver Convicted in Deadly Hit-n-Run in 2007, Gets More Charges
Columbus, OH - "...A judge took Andrews' license away and sentenced him to four years in prison after he pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in a 2007 crash that killed 19-year-old Michael Sonney.
"...Charges of OMVI and hit-skip were dropped in that case." more...
Firm Hired to Build Chippewa Creek Headwaters Park
North Royalton, OH - "The city has chosen an Akron firm to build the 12-acre Chippewa Creek Headwaters Park at the southeast corner of State and Wallings roads." more...
Box Cutter Attack on Greenway
Nashville, TN - "A man was slashed with a box cutter during a Sunday afternoon walk on the Richland Creek greenway." more...
Murder on Bike Trail
D.C. - "FBI and Metropolitan Police are asking for help in looking for a man who fatally stabbed a woman on a bike trail in Southeast D.C." more...
Distressed Hiker Rescuers Robbed
Los Angeles, CA - "Add armed robbery to the threats facing hikers this year on the Pacific Crest Trail." more...
- IL: Two youths robbed of money, cell phone while walking on bike trail
- IA: Park Avenue bike lanes approved in Waterloo
- IL: Bike repair stations added to Eldorado, Harrisburg bike path
- GA: Pop-Up Bike Network Leads to Permanent Change
- MN: Another attempt to connect Greenway over the river to St. Paul
- IN: $1.2M headed to Southern Indiana for improvements
- IRE: More than 2,000 sign online petition for greenway
- ND: Fargo bike-share program's strong start affected bus ridership
- CO: Goal to Double Transit, Biking, and Walking By 2030
- CAN: Mobi at one: membership grows but fewer stations than promised
- MA: Mayor/candidate injured in bike crash
- CA: Looking at Downtown Bike Share, One Year Later
Woman Injured on Bike Trail
PA - "A woman had to be rescued Sunday after falling off her bicycle and sliding down a steep embankment on a trail in Tilden Township." more...
Proposed Bike Trail Next to Busy Highway
VA - "...biking aficionados who welcome the addition of the trail but say, if built as proposed, users will be too close to cars whizzing by on the interstate and exposed to toxic exhaust fumes." more...
Bringing Bikes to the Causeway
Miami, FL - "...the Florida Department of Transportation is evaluating Lansburgh's idea, which would close the right lanes of the MacArthur and Julia Tuttle Causeways to motor vehicle traffic from 6 to 11 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays." more...
Man Accused of Jaywalking gets Beat Down
Mesa, AZ - "...Barton claimed he was tackled to the ground, and punched and kneed by the officers, with one allegedly telling him, 'you're lucky you're alive and not dead,' during the arrest." more...
Teen Bit, Dragged by Bear
Ward, CO - "...The 19-year-old woke up at around 4 a.m. to a 'crunching sound' with his head inside the mouth of the bear..." more
Vehicles used as Weapons of Terror
"...As terrorists overseas increasingly turn to vehicles as weapons, cities across the United States, concerned such attacks could happen here, are ramping up security in public spaces to protect areas with heavy pedestrian traffic." more...
- VA: Vinton celebrating first phase of new greenway
- NYC: City closes bike lane to make way for international electric-car race
- LA: 1st phase of regional trail along Mississippi River to begin in September
- ME: Augusta's Bond Brook Recreation Area gets $50k from settlement
- PA: New biking trails leads to formation of clubs, activities for cyclists
- IL: Cyclists face barriers in car-centric Chicago suburbs
- MD: Howard County Latest In Maryland To Get Bikeshare Program
- FL: FDOT wraps traffic control boxes to spread pedestrian safety awareness
- TN: Hit-and-run driver arrested
Coshocton Looks to Extend Bike Path
Coshocton, OH - "Coshocton officials hope a pleasant walk along the river is in the city's future, as they pursue grants to help pay for an extension of the walking path that connects the city to Lake Park..." more
Trail Sabotage Injures Rider
CAN - "On July 7, 2017 a rider was injured when riding into barbed wire strung at neck height on a trail in West Bragg Creek (the area is south of Calgary)..." more
Electric Bikes Offer An Efficient Transpo Alternative
"Bikes with electric assist - E-bikes - are taking off around the world, and for good reason: They are arguably the best form of motorized transportation..." more
- IN: Indiana mayor says trail plan could help cities grow
- NC: Grist for their mill along the Briar Creek greenway
- TN: Council to consider contract to convert former railroad into greenway
Community Gardens Displaced for Trail Expansion
Wyoming, OH - "The city of Wyoming is extending its hike/bike trail, but the new pathway has left a long-time community garden is its wake, and several advocates say not enough is being done to find a replacement." more...
Lyme disease Cases on Rise in Tuscarawas Valley
Harrison County, OH - "The Harrison County Health Department is warning residents about a significant spike in the number of Lyme disease cases in the county - a trend that is being observed throughout the Tuscarawas Valley." more...
City Van Swallowed by Sinkhole
Cleveland, OH - "A sinkhole swallowed a Cleveland water department van Thursday afternoon on the city's East Side, according to city officials." more...
Oregon Enacts a Bike Tax
OR - "...The accusation that people who ride bikes don't pay for roads is familiar to anyone who's tried to argue for bike infrastructure in a public setting..." more
Rumble Strips Got You Grumbling?
"We all like to ride on rural roads, but these areas are often rife with bad road designs of all types: Rumble strips (gasp!), no shoulders (gasp!!), or worse - chip seal..." more...
- AZ: Break-prone water pipe across Grand Canyon needs replacement
- WI: Glacial Drumlin State Trail expansion design begins
- MS: Pascagoula has added bike rental stations
- WA: Seattle Spin and LimeBike are first to apply for bike share permits
Nail Traps Found on Butler County Roads
OH - "Residents along Ohio 177 near Darrtown are concerned about nail devices placed in the road in an apparent attempt to pop vehicle tires." more...
Detroit Transport Mode Race
MI - "...s Detroit's new streetcar the fastest way to get around town?" more...
Lakefront Trail Section Now Separated
Chicago, IL - "...The section, which has been opened to users, is part of a two-year project to divide the popular 18-mile trail to help ease congestion and reduce collisions..." more
E-Bikes not Allowed on State Park Bike Paths
Portland, OR - "Last week we posted a story about how electric bicycles have opened up new riding opportunities\ in the Columbia River Gorge. But it turns out it's illegal to ride an e-bike on the Historic Columbia River State Trail - or on any other paved bike path within the Oregon State Parks system." more...
Drivers: Bikes are Vehicles, Too - Get with the Program
"You might think drivers in rural towns would be friendlier toward cyclists, but, believe me, they're not." more...
Runner Escapes from Bears
Auburn, ME - "A professional runner from Kenya who was out training on a nature trail in the woods near his home in Maine says he encountered two charging black bears but was able to outrun them during a frantic sprint to a nearby vacant house for cover." more...
- CA: 2nd pack of gray wolves spotted in Northern California
- LA: Revamp for Lafitte Greenway
- IN: Mounds Greenway Hits Potential Hurdle In Anderson
- AL: Whistler bike trail vandal captured
- MA: Supports increased rail trail safety for all users
- CAN: Fight against Chelsea plan to convert tracks to bike trail
- MN: Bike repair station trend continues
- HI: Some people aren't pleased with new safety enhancements in Chinatown
- TX: Austin's bike sharing system continues to expand
- MA: Salem Bike Share Program Adds Stations
- WA: Kitsap volunteer firefighter killed while biking near Poulsbo
- UK: Homemade sign pleading for drivers to slow down
New Study Looks at Drivers' Attitudes Toward Cyclists
"It is a regular topic of discussion on TreeHugger and other sites like Streetsblog: Why do drivers hate people on bikes so much? Why, when there is a crash, do drivers (and the police) always blame the cyclist?..." more
Wayne County Rail-Trails Newsletter
OH - Read the latest edition.
Bike Bits Vol. 19
From Adventure Cycling.
Bike Tourist Has Everything Stolen in Portland
OR - "Portlanders are rallying to the aid of a man whose bike - and all of his belongings - were stolen last week." more...
Sherriff's Office drops 1 or 2 Tickets Against Jaywalker
Jacksonville, FL - "The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office dropped one of the traffic tickets issued last month to a 21-year-old man who was stopped in Arlington for jaywalking in a recorded incident that went viral." more...
What have We sacrificed for Transportation Independence?
"Imagine I told you there was a revolutionary transportation idea that would give everyone the freedom to go anywhere, relatively cheaply and easily..." more
- CA: Officials caution hikers as trail rescues continue
- LA: Officials looking to open bike trail along St. Bernard levee
- CA: a new bike trail is coming to the American River
- TX: Bridgeport trails open for wheels, hiking boots
- TX: Development continues for Cypress Creek Greenway Project
- TN: New Chattanooga greenway set to connect more residents
- UK: Cyclists welcome traffic-free 'missing link' extension
- WA: Judge tosses Seattle speeding ticket over wordy sign
- IA: Man dies from injuries after bicycle crashes into animal
Teen Who Died in Tinker's Creek Identified
Bedford, OH - "...The Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner has not yet made a ruling on Jalen's cause of death." more...
Man Dies in Biking Accident on Snowmass Trail
CO - "A 65-year-old man died Monday after crashing his mountain bike while descending the Valhalla trail at Snowmass Ski Area." more...
Bike Lane Test in Downtown Duluth
MN - "...The experiment features east-west lanes for cyclists and a 3-foot buffer zone indicated by 'flexible delineation posts' that separate the bike lanes from the eastbound traffic on Michigan Street." more...
Jaywalking While Black
"Late last month, in Jacksonville, Fla., Devonte Shipman, who is black, walked across the street. A white sheriff's officer saw him, and about 20 minutes later, Mr. Shipman had been served a $62 fine for jaywalking and a $136 fine for 'failing to provide I.D.'..." more
Why is London Mayor such a Stick in the Wheel?
UK - "...the mayor has by my count built and opened 80m (260 ft) of new segregated lane. Work is progressing, extremely slowly, on another half-mile or so. And that is about it." more...
- IRE: Greenway to extend to Polranny
- MA: New Glen Meadow Loop trail opens
- CAN: Torontonians willing to trade lower speed limits for safer streets
- GER: Germany's Bike Autobahn can be Faster Than The Car Version
- UK: Campaigners launch 'Insert Loved One Here' photo tool to highlight inadequate infrastructure
Hit-and-Run Injures Cyclist
Cincinnati, OH - "Victim was in bike lane on Spring Grove Avenue." more...
More Trees Down on Sippo Trail
NE OH - "The sections from Ben Fulton and West Lebanon Roads were hit with downed trees and debris some time yesterday. I don't know how far the damage extends -- one tree before WL Road was too large to lift my bicycle over."
Submitted by Sharon Cole
Offensive Graffiti on Mill Creek Bikeway
Austintown, OH - "Mill Creek Park Police say they have increased patrols along the bikeway as they investigate graffiti ranging from pro-nazi symbols to a message supporting rape." more...
Man Acquitted in 2016 CVNP Shooting
Youngstown, OH - "A federal jury on Monday acquitted an Akron man suspected of being the driver in a shooting in Cuyahoga Valley National Park over last year's Fourth of July weekend." more...
Body of 15-Year-Old Boy Pulled from Tinker's Creek'
Bedford, OH - "...The teen was swimming with a group near Viaduct Park Saturday evening when he got caught in the current, officials said." more...
Cyclist Shot with Pellet Gun
WA - "Some terrible person shot Haley Keller with a pellet gun Monday night while she and her husband Dave were biking home from watching the sunset at Golden Gardens." more...
Cyclist Death by Bad Design, Suit Claims
Tribeca, NY - "Officials failed to address traffic safety issues at an intersection where a cyclist was killed a year ago - despite the fact they knew the crossing was 'hazardous,' a new lawsuit charges." more...
Should Bike Owners Have to Pay a Licensing Fee?
Seattle, WA - "Seattle launched a mandatory, fee-based bicycle registration program in the late 1970s and it quickly flopped. Here's what officials have to say about instituting a similar system now." more...
- VA: City Council votes to extend Roanoke's portion of the Greenway
- MO: SJSD donates land for trail expansion
- MA: Bike vs bike injures two in Eastham
- TN: Nashville missing 1,900 miles of sidewalks, report finds
- OR: Noticing The Gaps in Portland Bike Infra
- CA: Videos of SF bike route populated by homeless spur debate
- CA: LA campaign to eliminate traffic deaths raises concerns
Seattle to Test Stationless Bike Share
WA - "...A new pilot program for privately-owned bike share companies was launched on Friday, and could lead to hundreds of rentable bikes on Seattle streets by July 7." more...
Another Attempt at Bike Share in St. Louis
MO - "A new effort is underway to start a bike-share program in St. Louis similar to one already in place in numerous other American cities." more...
Body Found on Ojai Bike Trail
CA - "...Ventura County Fire Department personnel responded to the scene sometime after 11:20 a.m. when authorities received reports of a person not breathing on the path, authorities said." more...
New Bus Tech that Automatically Brakes for Peds
"Considering that pedestrians basically surround buses all day, it's a bit surprising that pedestrian detection wasn't yet built into this type of public transportation. But thanks to Daimler Buses, that's about to change." more...
- MA: Baker highlights extension of popular Cape bike path
- AUS: City of Joondalup 'pump and jump' bike trail proving popular
- GA: Discarded waste is too close to Fall Line Trace walking trail
- MA: Extension of Popular Cape Bike Path
- IN: Can Carmel help Muncie, Anderson grow?
- WI: Health concerns regarding possible cell tower on greenway
Western Reserve Greenway Bridge Reopens
Bristol, OH - "...The bridge had been closed since August 2015 until the Trumbull County MetroParks was recently able to get liability insurance..." more...
Gas-Powered, Micro Cycles a No-No for Bike Trails
Springfield, IL - "Springfield Park District Police have a clear message to people with gas-powered bicycles or micro motorcycles: Neither is allowed on bicycle trails, and riders will be ticketed. more...
Bikers & Hikers Work Together on Reshaping Rich Fork
High Point, NC - "...Conversations about Rich Fork were much less civil a year ago, when community members were mired in a contentious debate over the fate of the property that centered mostly on whether mountain biking should be permitted." more...
- MA: Rail trail links Dennis and Yarmouth
- TX: Give those new bike bridges time before condemning them
- CAN: Cracked pavement, ATVs creating unsafe walking trails
- MA: Safer places to ride in and around Boston
- AZ: Protected heritage walks and bike paths along Grant Road should become a reality
Shoreline Erosion Closes Section of Bike Trail
Geneva, OH - "...Erosion has become a large enough issue at Geneva State Park to cause a portion of the bike and hike trail near Breakwater Beach to be closed and a detour to be set up." more...
Lake to Lakes Trail Reroute Coming
Cleveland, OH - "...For approximately 3 weeks beginning July 10, there will be a signed reroute for the Lake to Lakes Trail in Ambler Park. The reroute will take you onto Stokes Blvd, Cedar Ave, and MLK Jr Drive. During this 3 week period a temporary path will be under construction, one that will skirt the edge of the park and be used for nearly 4 years." more...
Teenager in Critical Condition after Park Shooting
Cleveland, OH - "...The 16-year-old was shot in the arm and abdomen about 3 a.m. at Topeka Park off Aspinwall Avenue in the city's South Collinwood neighborhood." more...
Chef Takes over 5 Points Drive-In Near Bike Trail
Wear a Helmet, Get a Free Pizza
Streetsboro, OH - "City police are once again handing out tickets for free personal pizzas to safety conscious kids." more...
Seattle's Dockless Bike Share: A Guide
Seattle, WA - "The demise of Pronto Cycle Share led to a big bike share black hole in Seattle. Now, multiple companies are vying for a spot in Seattle's transportation landscape - but there's no need to rebuild those docks." more...
80-Year-Old Knocked Down, Bitten by K-9
Enfield, CT - "...Keane says he had been walking on a trail at the Enfield Senior Center when he was bitten in December 2015..." more
Elly Blue says 'Bike Lanes are White Lanes' is Cultural Myth
"The 14th issue of Taking the Lane feminist bike zine is all about intersections of class, race, and money." more...
Converting Unsustainable Roadway to Urban Trail Brings Environmental Benefits
D.C. - "I can't claim to be an expert in roadway engineering. But when an urban roadway literally washes into the stream below, that strikes me as problematic design." more...
- IDN: Body of German hiker retrieved from Indonesian volcano
- OR: MFR preps for transient fires on Bear Creek Greenway
- WI: Several bike paths in south-central Wisconsin close after storm
- KS: Group discusses final sections of Circle Trail
- AR: Bike lanes' use hinges on 'usable'
- WA: Cyclist files $300K claim against Seattle after streetcar track crash
- UK: Man accused of Greenway hammer attack on elderly woman appears in court
Forum on Bike Safety in Era of Drugged Driving
Mt. Adams, OH - "...Two bicyclists have been killed recently by people police say were high behind the wheel. Now, bicyclists are learning how to keep safe from tragedies like these." more...
Summit Metro Parks Searches for Housing Enclave
Akron, OH - "...the Summit Metro Parks -- which bought the golf course for $4 million in 2016 and plans to turn 194 acres into a park connecting Sand Run, Cascade Valley and Gorge Metro Parks..." more
Toronto Addressing Bike Lane Blockers
CAN - "...Kyle Ashley spends half his day bicycling around Toronto doling out $150 tickets to bike lane blockers and much of the rest of the day doing outreach and education about the problem through social media and in person." more...
Trail System Allows Golf Carts
GA - "With the planned inclusion of neighborhood electric vehicles able to travel a maximum of 25 mph, CV Link is billed as a path unlike any other." more...
- GA: We need multi-use trails in Chatham County
- MI: Trail extension, new playground equipment coming to Marysville Park
- CAN: New bike lanes at McKenzie Avenue a link to Lochside trail
- WI: Improving Inequality In Milwaukee Through Bike Trails
- NY: Schenectady to tout bike routes, seek public input
- NJ: Greenway initiative aims to enhance township's four-season appeal
- TN: Middle Creek Greenway in Sevierville opens to public
- UK: Public urged to back €200m greenway plan
- TN: Rock Creek Greenway to expand
- IN: Mayors Back Mounds Greenway
- TX: Central Austin residents welcome new sidewalk
- HI: Go Biki! Honolulu Bikeshare Launches
Triathlon Racers Report Aggressive Driver
Delaware, OH - "Investigators from the Delaware County Sheriff's Office are looking into claims of aggressive driving and harassment of cyclists during a triathlon this past weekend." more...
Lake Link Trail Unveils a Wonderland in the Flats
Cleveland, OH - "...Those responsible for creating the trail have literally created a diamond from coal..." more
Cleveland Metroparks Mill Creek Connector
"Officials along with several dozen, gathered for the dedication of the Cleveland Metroparks Mill Creek connector trail." more...
$7.5M for Dowtown Bridge Project
Akron, OH - "...Construction of the two-way bridge with a pedestrian/bike lane will coincide with a $14.5 million remake of the Main Street Corridor from the bridge to Mill Street toward the northern end of downtown..." more
What Do Drivers Really Think of Cyclists?
"New research shows how biases affect motorist behavior toward people on bikes." more...
Euro Car Designs Better Protect Peds
"We recently noted how Tesla cars sold in Europe have what is called an 'active hood' that pops up to protect pedestrians, but American Teslas do not..." more
- LA: What's the future hold for the Lafitte Greenway?
- TN: Police Investigate Greenway Incident & Recommend Safety Tips
- LA: 1st phase of Rock Island Greenway complete
- GA: Peachtree group supports Brookhaven's use of eminent domain
- NM: Speed van obstructs bike lane, city says it's not illegal
- CA: Preventing ped deaths more important than speedy commute
- OR: New city grant program will fund livable streets
- CA: As Ford Slaps Its Logos on Bay Area Share Bikes, Another Challenger Enters the Field
New Renderings for Downtown Revamp
Lexington, KY - "...New York - based SCAPE Landscape Architecture has released new images of an urban park in the heart of Lexington, Kentucky..." more
Settlement Reached on Baltimore Bike Lane
MD - "The Potomac Street protected bike lane will remain in place after cycling advocates and Baltimore officials reached a settlement agreement on Tuesday evening." more...
Bike Share Concerns in Honolulu
HI - "As Honolulu's bikeshare program nears debut, some residents remain concerned about safety and affordability." more...
- ND: Police patrol Greenway, look for leads on Monday assault
- MA: 5 things to know: Malden River Greenway vision plan
- IA: New mountain bike trail opens in Dubuque County
- NM: Ruidoso adds to its portfolio of mountain bike trails
- NY: Doubling down on bike rentals in Lake George
- MN: Bike share begins in SE
- OR: Buffered bike lanes on Lombard in north Portland
Teenager in Critical Condition after Crash
Mayfield Heights, OH - "The young girl was struck by a car while riding her bicycle on Lander Road. She is currently hospitalized..." more...
York City Bike Share Begins Friday
PA - "A Zagster bike share program will launch in three locations around York City this Friday." more...
Woman Dragged, Assaulted on Greenway
Grand Forks, ND - "...A female was rollerblading northbound on the bike path when an unidentified male riding a bicycle crashed into her..." more
- IN: Mayor Broderick not approached for Greenway plan
- MA: Northampton has added 100+acres to open space program
- NJ: Victim in fatal fall ontrail was Paterson firefighter
- ME: Topsham celebrates extension of bike-walk trail
- AR: Vote on 65-mile trail connecting Little Rock, Hot Springs set today
- FL: Jacksonville cop threatening young black man with jail after jaywalking
- ROM: Mayor Wants to Subsidize Residents' Bicycle Purchases
- WA: Group appeals the Ballard Missing Link
- OR: Gateway Green's bike park opens
- SPA: Wiggle High5 pro opens up on terrifying truck crash
Columbiana Park District Eyes Trail Expansion
Columbiana County, OH - "...The district has applied for a grant from the Ohio Department of Transportation that would pave pay for the construction of a three-mile trail extension - featuring a short bridge - to the Day's Inn." more...
Commissioners Found Not Guilty of Violating Sunshine Law
Akron, OH - "Portage County Commissioners did not violate Ohio's Open Meetings Act when it held an emergency session to discuss the Hiram Hike and Bike Trail, the 11th District Court of Appeals recently ruled." more...
Downtown Akron is 1/3 Parking Lots
Akron, OH - "A third of Akron's downtown land is parking lots, a statistic Akron officials and planners want to reduce through better transit and design..." more
Governor Reconsidering Cross-State Trail
MO - "...state officials under Nixon's successor, Eric Greitens, are reconsidering whether to accept the planned donation of the rail corridor by Ameren, which bought it in 1999 through a subsidiary." more...
Woman's Death Ruled Homicide
Everett, WA - "The Everett Police Department is investigating the death of a woman whose body was found along the Pigeon Creek public access trail." more...
Cities Revive an Old Idea to Become More Ped-Friendly
"'Pedestrian scrambles' surged in popularity half a century ago. Some places are bringing them back." more...
Can't Ban Cars from Downtown? Take Away Parking Spaces
"Oslo had a plan to lower its emissions by drastically limit car travel in its center. Now you can drive, but it might not be worth it." more..
- HK: Cyclist dies after trail crash
- NY: Schenectady to host meeting on bike infrastructure plan
- OR: Phoenix will add bike patrols
- IRE: New tourist trail to follow route of disused railway
- MN: Pop-up bike lane demo got some use
- CA: Los Angeles Council member Chooses Safety
- UK: Is TfL's new cycling plan revolutionary or a waste of time?
25-Acre Park Opens alongside Little Beaver Creek Trail
NYC Bike Lane Bonanza
Volunteers Help Finish Long-Distance Trail
Rushville, NE - "...A group of volunteers from Rushville and Gordon have taken the Cowboy Trail into their own hands after the state halted work despite having 120 miles left to develop..." more
Ghost Road Becomes Trail
D.C. - "A stretch of D.C. road that sat in disrepair for almost 25 years has re-opened, but cars are not allowed on it." more...
Wet Winter Brings New Dangers to Hikers
Los Angeles, CA - "...Sellsted is one of several hikers who reported harrowing incidents tackling the 2,650-mile (4,265-kilometer) Pacific Crest Trail across this year's massive snowpack..." more
Great Miami Flood Wall Work & Flooding
Dayton, OH - From miamivalleytrails.org, "The flood wall in downtown Dayton is under repair, and work on the wall may result in intermittent closures of the Great Miami River Trail at the location on the south bank of the river, just a couple hundred feet downstream of RiverScape MetroPark.
"Detouring around this area is a simple matter. The simplest detour is to use the Great Miami River Trail on the north bank of the river. Traversing through Downtown from RiverScape MetroPark to another trail access point down stream of the project location is another option.
"Low spots along the trail in downtown Dayton are under water, including at RiverScape MetroPark and at River Run Structure 2 near the Dayton Art Institute."
Hoover Trail Construction
N. Canton, OH - From startparks.com, "The 4th phase of the Hoover Trail project will construct a hiking and biking trail from the Kent State and Stark State campuses using the south side of the Dressler Rd./Hall of Fame bridge connecting to Price Park in North Canton. Construction should be complete by fall 2017.
"Future plans include extending the trail on the road from Price Park to the North Canton YMCA."
Pedicabs Coming to Hamilton
Hamilton, OH - "...We're going to start off with four pedicabs, and the demand will dictate the total number of pedicabs we're able to have..." more
The Latest on CoGo
Columbus, OH - "Ridership on the CoGo bike share system in the first half of 2017 is up about 28 percent compared to last year, according to the City of Columbus." more...
Bike Trail Battle in Swampscott
MA - "...while creating a bike trail might seem like one of the least controversial moves a town could make, a bike path is dividing one North Shore community." more...
Bike Shares, Trail Maps, Encourage Alternative Transpo
NE - "...With help from a Blue Cross Blue Shield of Nebraska wellness grant, the college now has a free bike share program." more...
Cyclist Chases Down Stray Puppy in Traffic
"He takes some big risks, but still can't catch this ball of fluff to get him out of harm's way." more...
Yet Another Reason to Bike Commute
"...Research from Concordia University has shown that the first 45 minutes of your workday can be significantly less stressful if you opt to pedal to work rather than driving." more...
- GA: Brookhaven may use eminent domain for Greenway
- NC: Carolina Beach greenway project delayed
- UK: Man found dead near Cannock Chase Bike Trail
- NC: Parts of GSMNP closed because of demolition, bears
- OR: Police say cyclists was drunk, 'veered' out of bike lane before collision
Olentangy Trail Section Closed
Columbus, OH - From Franklin MetroParks, "Utility work has closed the trail between King Avenue and John Herrick Drive. Estimated timeline of 3-4 weeks.
"Canon Drive is an alternate route. [See detour map.]"
Moonville Trail Vandalism
Brown Township, OH - "...Vandals have lined the bridge with graffiti, while others are illegally driving their vehicles across it." more...
Closed Innerbelt to Become Pop-Up Forest
Akron, OH - "...Residents and visitors will likely see 'pop up' forest next spring or summer. The space will include a green space, seating and an area for movie screenings." more...
Opinions Mixed on Park Plans
Toledo, OH - "...Plans call for the park to take up a part of undeveloped land on the east bank of the Maumee River, across from downtown Toledo." more...
Cincy Provides more Funding for Wasson Way
Cincinnati, OH - "...The recreational trail will get $500,000 from the capital budget, up from the $300,000 in the city manager's proposed budget..." more
Detroit to Build Greenway Loop
MI - "...The city has struck a deal with Conrail to purchase 76 acres of railroad property, which will be transformed into a bike and pedestrian-friendly greenway." more...
Transpo Planners Want Bikes on the Sidewalk
Menlo Park, CA - "...designers somehow weren't able to find any space to install bike lanes nearest to Marsh Road, where the street is a massive 80 feet wide..." more
Push Back on Bike Share Station Location
Honolulu, HI - "...Alethea Rebman, president of the Kapiolani Park Preservation Society, says she has concerns about the placement of the bike docks." more...
Federal Action Needed to Expedite New Bike Facilities
"...Throughout the United States, cities have embarked on new street designs to make people who bike and walk safer, but these designs have not yet reached wide acceptance. Standing in the way of wide acceptance is the federal government's role in street design and traffic controls..." more
- MN: Bike trail from I-94 to Afton gets $450,000 makeover
- MN: Off-road bike trails may be in Minnetonka's future
- VT: The power of the trail
- CA: Mt. Shasta Ski Park to re-open mountain bike trails next month
- WA: Parts of Yakima Greenway to undergo repairs
- NY: Construction Underway on New Greenway Trail in Binghamton
Irishtown Bend Park Designs Meeting
Cleveland, OH - "Potential designs for a new park space at Irishtown Bend in Cleveland will be presented to the public Tuesday evening." more...
Missing Man's Body Found
Cortland, OH - "...Sample's family reported him missing June 12 after he left home the night before, saying he was taking a friend to Akron. His car was found in a wooded area along the Niles Greenway bike trail early June 12." more...
COMBO E-Mountain Bike Survey
Do you mountain bike in Ohio? If so, take the survey.
PA Joins Bicycle Route System
PA - "Pennsylvania's first nationally designated bicycle route - U.S. Bicycle Route 50 - was officially approved in May by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), and makes Pennsylvania the 25th state to join the developing U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS)." more...
- IA: City in Iowa celebrates completion of bike trail
- VA: Planners want to build a 50-mile trail on the Peninsula and Southside
- IA: Dubuque to connect NW Arterial bike trail to Bergfeld Recreation Area
- NH: Mascoma Greenway Gets a Boost
- CT: New Shoreline Greenway Trail Sections Raises Mixed Response
- CO: Littleton, South Suburban partner on wayfinding signs
- LA: Baton Rouge bike share roll-out pushed to early spring
- OR: A bicycle rider has been hit and critically injured
- WA: Why the Labor Council still opposes the trail
Alum Creek Trail Connector Closed
Columbus, OH - From Franklin MetroParks, "Alum Creek Connector Trail @ Emrick Dr. / I-270 on north-side closed for the next 12 months for construction by Kokosing."
Police Increasing Bike Patrol along Tweetsie Trail
Johnson City, TN - "...People in the community say they've noticed an uptick in crime activity like bicycle theft and vandalism." more...
Cyclist Death is Sober Reminder of Failure to Accommodate Bicyclists
Baltimore, MD - "...On Monday night, there was a sobering reminder of the vulnerability of bicyclists even on one of the widest and most heavily biked of local thoroughfares with the death of Aaron Laciny, a cyclist struck by not one but two vehicles..." more
Like it or Not, E-Bikes are Coming
CO - "...Someday, when the young legs of pedal purest give out (and the legs will give out) you will see those folks grinning while riding an e-bike..." more
If you Build it, They will Ride
"Last September, the town of Macon, Georgia installed a network of temporary bike lanes. In the two weeks that the lanes were up, bike traffic increased by nearly 900 percent..." more
Crash Stats & Pedestrian Safety
"New research from Minneapolis shows that there is safety in numbers for pedestrians." more...
- CA: Dangerous East County trail closed due to heat rescues
- IL: County approves Route 66 bike trail expansion
- IA: New bike path opens in Bettendorf
- IN: City, IPFW developing trail app
- OR: Portland's newest and smallest street is also carfree
- CA: A Talk with the Head of Oakland's DOT
- OR: Shuttle drivers concerned about unsafe bicycle riders
Bridge Removal Would Affect Pedestrians
Toledo, OH - "Norfolk Southern wants to raze it." more...
More Details on Quarry Development
Columbus, OH - "...there's about two miles of frontage along the Scioto River. We're looking to partner with the City of Columbus to get them to extend their existing bike trail up from West Fifth Avenue..." more
Highway Planners Pause to Consider the Effect of Road Widening
MI - "...highway planners in Michigan are starting to listen to people who say they want something different." more...
Teen Killed after Road Rage Incident
VA - "A man has been charged with murder after police found the body of 17-year-old Nabra Hassanen, who was attacked with a baseball bat and murdered..." more
Bike Share Is Faster Than Cabs When It Matters
NYC - "As the city strives to cut carbon emissions, backseat travelers should know when there's a quicker, cleaner route." more...
Clown Arrested for Chasing People on Bike Path
Anchorage, AK - "A man dressed in a clown costume was arrested by Anchorage Police Sunday evening." more...
Teen Killed by Black Bear During Race
Anchorage, AK - "Patrick Cooper had already turned around after reaching the halfway point in a popular mountain race in Alaska when he somehow veered off the trail and became lost..." more
- MN: Midtown Greenway could extend into St. Paul
- VA: Rocky Gap Greenway project nearing completion
- WI: Glacial Drumlin trail expansion design begins
- NE: More than one mile added to Johnson Lake trail
- CAN: Bikes to be banned from Fairy Lake trail in Southampton
- MO: Pop-up traffic calming held along Cherry Street
- TX: Houston streets are about to get smarter
- CAN: Injured Rider Unsuccessful in Lawsuit Against Whistler Bike Park
- NC: Found camera holds photos of adventure, but who does it belong to?
New Metropark Site in West Columbus
Columbus, OH - "A sprawling limestone quarry in west Columbus will be turned into scenic parkland surrounded by mixed-use development under a joint plan by Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks..." more
Cyclist Attacked with Rock on Bike Trail
Sacramento, CA - "Kevin Meagher said he was cycling home from work along the American River Parkway bike trail Wednesday when he was attacked by another man on a bike." more...
Homeless Problem on Feather River Trail
Sacramento, CA - "...Since this winter's flooding, the southern part of the path has become a trail of a different type: of graffiti, tents, tarps, bagged trash, trash left to blow in the wind, and scorched earth caused by fires." more...
Amtrak Bike Service Questions
"In March, we asked our members and supporters if they had any questions about bike service on Amtrak. And wow, did you have questions..." more...
Can Cities Afford to Let 'Rogue' Bike Shares Run Wild?
"There's a reason cities and companies partner up to launch bike-share systems. Disrupting this model could cause more harm than good." more...
Bikeshare Association Hires first Executive Director
"The North American Bikeshare Association has hired its first executive director, Samantha Herr." more...
- OR: Car catches fire on Bear Creek Greenway
- WI: When will the Lower Yahara River Trail open?
- OR: Portland can finally build the Flanders Crossing Bridge
Western Reserve Trail Bridge to Reopen
Bristol, OH - "...the county finally has liability insurance coverage for the sandstone arch bridge over Baughman Creek in Bristol that closed in August 2015..." more
Trooper Detains Attacker on Bike Trail
Cookeville, TN - "A woman was assaulted while walking along the Central Tennessee Heritage Rail Trail bicycle/walking trail in Cookeville." more...
Stabbing Death on Katy Trail
OK - "Police have arrested a suspect in the stabbing death of a man whose body was found Friday morning on the Katy Trail downtown." more...
- CA: Hikers rescued from Three Sisters Falls trails amid heat wave
- NE: At 13.2 miles, hike-bike trail now links Cottonmill, Fort Kearny SRA
- NE: Transformer sparks grass fire near hike-bike trail
- TX: New law could make trails cheaper for cities
- WA: 520 Bridge Trail on for autumn opening
New Cleveland Trail Link gets Thumbs-Up
Cleveland, OH - "CHEERS . . . to the newest half-mile section of the Cleveland Foundation Centennial Lake Link Trail on the West Bank of the Flats that opened last week..." more
Texas Man Shoots Cyclist from Car
TX - "A 19-year-old Texas man is accused of aggravated assault for allegedly firing a shotgun at a cyclist from a car so he could 'blow off steam,' police said." more...
Another Plunger-Protected Bike Lane Goes Permanent
"Tactical urbanism projects are prompting cities to improve the bike-riding environment." more...
Video Contradicts Police Report on Citi Bike Rider Death
NYC - "Security camera footage from a West 26th Street building appears to contradict preliminary NYPD statements and media reports that 36-year-old Dan Hanegby 'swerved' away from a parked vehicle before fatally colliding with a moving bus on Monday morning." more...
VA DOT to Add Trail next to Highway Expansion
VA - "When a bike path is added to a highway expansion project, it risks being an afterthought, resulting in a low-quality, high-stress route. Like this one, now in the works in Northern Virginia." more...
Cars Predominately Cause Bike Collisions
AUS - "...To keep our cyclists safe, it may be time to adopt the approach of many European nations by introducing legislation that, in civil cases, presumes that car drivers caused a collision unless there is evidence to the contrary." more...
Would you let your Child Cycle Here?
"For generations, Danish urban planners have made it a priority for children to be able to ride to school alone. The result is not just more social, cheerful, healthy children - but more social, cheerful, healthy adults." more...
- WI: Flasher arrested on Madison bike trail
- WA: Saltese Uplands trail undergoing upgrade
- GA: Conceptual plans released for Greenway segment near Darien
- UK: Greenway moped riding youths sought by police
- IN: Driver arrested after hitting bicyclist, driving off
Oxford Opens First Phase Of Trail System
Oxford, OH - "...The trail section that opens on Wednesday is just over one mile long and is referred to as the "Black Bridge Connector" because it crosses the historic Black Covered Bridge that connects Kelly Drive to Leonard Howell Park on Bonham Road." more...
Body in Bristol may be Missing Warren Man
Warren, OH - "...He told his family he was taking a friend to Akron, but Niles police found his car abandoned Monday morning near the Niles Greenway Bike Trail." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy E-News
The June edition.
Council President Clarke calls for Vision Zero
Philadelphia, PA - "In response to the death of Peter Javsicas, a multimodal transportation advocate who was hit by a driver on Tuesday while walking on the sidewalk near 16th Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard, City Council President Darrell Clarke introduced a resolution Thursday calling for hearings on Vision Zero..." more
Can Cyclists and Driverless Cars Co-Exist?
"...A report last month estimated that by 2035 up to 25% of new vehicles sold could be fully autonomous..." more
- SD: Phase 1 of bike trail construction
- AZ: 500 pounds of trash collected in Bike Trail Blitz
- MA: Rehoboth needs a dedicated bike path
- WA: Growing pains inside Lacamas Lake Park?
- KY: Welding class makes bike racks for trail
- IRE: Plans for multi-mullion euro Carlingford to Newry Greenway
- TX: Dallas Mayor wants to 'dream no small dream' on mobility
- TX: Those yellow bikes in downtown Dallas
- OR: Governor signs bills to reduce speeding, increase driver penalties...
- UK: 1,000 people sign petition to stop 'dangerous' road resurfacing
City Set to Connect Bike Lanes
Cincinnati, OH - "James Heller-Jackson was on an everyday bike commute between work in Camp Washington and home in Northside when he was run off the road by a motorist on Spring Grove Avenue..." more...
Art Bomb's Freedom Trail Mural
Akron, OH - "The Art Bomb Brigade's latest public mural is putting paint to poetry at the Mill Street overpass on the University of Akron campus." more...
Free Water Taxi Rides
Cleveland, OH - "Visitors to Cleveland's Flats can enjoy a free water-taxi ride across the Cuyahoga River on weekends during the summer season." more...
Transportation Advocate Killed on Sidewalk
PA - "...Javsicas died after a minivan traveling west on John F. Kennedy Boulevard on Tuesday morning tried to switch lanes at 16th Street, but instead struck an SUV, then jumped a curb..." more
Conservancy Meeting Divided Over Greenway
RI - "The Roger Williams Park Conservancy Community Meeting at the Casino on Thursday took a contentious turn as a pocket of residents continued to protest the one-way greenway." more...
The Unintended Consequences Of Bicycle Helmets
"From personal experience I can attest that it is almost impossible, in the US at least, to have an intelligent conversation about bicycle helmets..." more
- IN: Plans for Northwest Bike Trail move forward
- TX: New bike and pedestrian bridge over Barton Creek opens
- CA: Pedestrian/bike tunnel to be built under Coleman at Almaden Lake Park
- NC: How do we develop greenways without spurring gentrification?
- NC: Southport's already funded 'greenway' receives citizens' support
- LA: Proposed 2018 budget nixes cash for Lafitte Greenway expansion
- WA: 9th Ave bike lanes carve out a real transportation option
Storm Downs Trees on Sippo Valley Trail
"Due to the severe thunder storms and high wind on Tuesday, several trees are down across the path.
"I went as far ar Deermont Ave NW to Manchester Rd. (Rt 93) and turned back. I spotted 11 trees across the trail in that short stretch alone."
Submitted by Sharon Cole
Man Goes Missing near Bike Trail
Warren, OH - "...Brandon's family says police found their sons car abandoned Monday morning near the Niles Greenway bike trail off of State Street." more...
Westerville Bike Sharing Survey
Westerville, OH - "The City of Westerville has organized a steering committee to explore bike sharing in Westerville. The committee is actively seeking input from residents, the workforce and visitors on their level of knowledge and perceived use of such a program..." more
iCan Bike Cleveland Helps Disabled Kids Ride Bikes
South Euclid, OH - "...Twenty-five kids with cognitive or physical disabilities are participating in the week-long program to teach them how to ride regular bicycles without training wheels." more...
Judge Stops Mayor from Removing Bike Lane
Baltimore, MD - "...On Friday, Baltimore City circuit court judge Althea M. Handy, finding 'immediate, substantial and irreparable harm,' granted a temporary restraining order preventing the city from removing the bike lane." more...
'Freezeway' gets Funding for Frozen Trail
ND - "...The first stretch of Freezeway will probably be no longer than 600 yards, Jensen said, possibly featuring some looping sections to keep things interesting. By the winter of 2018-19, skaters may have as much as 2.8 miles of frozen trails to explore." more...
81-Year-Old Suffers Brutal Attack on Greenway
UK - "Pensioner Samuel Cooper was enjoying a walk with his dog in the Greenway at midday last Thursday when he was approached by a stranger." more...
- IRE: Coillte urged to come to Laois to explain bike trail 'scandal'
- CA: Long-term parks plan should include mountain biking trails
- CA: Orange County Residents Test Planned Bike/Ped Trail Connections
- NE: Time to add bike path to Platte River bridge, bicyclists say
- NOR: Car ban backlash in Oslo
- RI: Flexible poles replace plungers along bike lane
- IL: Police beef up patrols in South Loop after string of robberies
- UK: Chinese bike rental giants eye the UK
- FL: Deputy gets hit-and-run victim a new bike
- NJ: Beloved orchestra teacher dies in cycling crash
Sharrows Debut in Canton
Canton, OH - "The city's first bicycle road markings, known as sharrows, debuted last month." more...
Midland to Add Bike Sharing
MI - "Midland City Council votes unanimously to approve three bike sharing stations to be set up on city-owned property, making it the 2nd city in Mid Michigan to boast a bike sharing program." more...
First Citi Bike Death, Police Say
NY - "...Dan Hanegby, 36, an Israeli special forces veteran with two kids in Brooklyn Heights, was riding alongside a charter bus on 26th Street near Eighth Avenue when the two collided, police said." more...
Group of Cyclists Mowed Down by Driver
Austin, TX - "...A witness told police, as he was sitting at a traffic light, he saw a white Buick strike several bicyclists..." more
Caltrans Strands Bicyclists on Bay Bridge
CA - Cyclists get caught behind a locked gate on the new bridge bike path -- a serious safety issue." more...
Arrest Made in Bike Trail Sex Assault Case
San Antonio, TX - "An unsolved assault on a San Antonio bike trail is one step closer to being closed." more...
Vision Zero Data Suggests Progress
"...new data is emerging that gives policymakers a better picture of where Vision Zero is working. And more data tools are on the way that could help address dangerous conditions before traffic deaths or injuries occur." more...
- IA: Construction begins on 17-mile bike trail
- CT: Naugatuck River Greenway moves ahead
- ND: Ice skating path could be coming to the Greenway Trail
- MN: 2017 Success in Minnesota
- FL: Protected Bike Lanes Expected To Open in Miami Beach Next Month
- NM: Buffered bike lanes causing confusion in downtown Albuquerque
- WA: Drivers speed through Seattle's unmarked intersections
- TX: Is Sunday Streets headed in the right direction?
- LA: City plans to connect Lafitte Greenway to Poydras Street through downtown
Little Miami Trail E-News
Read the June edition.
Brookhaven using Eminent Domain for 19-Acres of Greenway
GA - "...With their mind set on owning this property, Brookhaven is forging ahead with using eminent domain - asking a Judge to decide the fair market price the City will pay the owner when they take ownership..." more
E-Bikes Stance Softens
CO - "Owners of electric bikes who faced an uphill battle to ride on the Colorado Riverfront Trail may see a smooth road ahead." more...
- AL: Bill Sims Bike Trail To Be Extended in Decatur
- MI: Could Bike Trails At Commons Become Major Revenue Generator?
- AUS: Push to transform Anglesea's old coal mine site with bike trails
- GA: Brookhaven using eminent domain on 19-acres for Greenway
- NC: Please Complete the 2008 Greenway Master Plan
- MN: Minneapolis expands bike lane network with eye on disability access
- HI: Honolulu's First Bike-Sharing Program
- TN: Bike Share making headway to launch system by next spring
- CA: Car veers onto east Stockton sidewalk, striking woman before fleeing
- FL: Cops find car involved in bus stop crash that killed woman
Lebanon Adding Bike Park, Trail Extension
Lebanon, OH - "...This extension is expected to provide non-motorized access to the region's trail system of more than 340 miles to Lebanon residents on the east side of the Ohio 48 bypass." more...
Brainstorming Bike Trail Expansions
Indianapolis, IN - "...The Indiana Bicycle Trails Task Force, created by House Enrolled Act 1174, will develop plans and estimate the costs of connecting Indiana's bike trails..." more
- AL: City receives grant to extend bike trail
- CO: Illegal mountain bike trail in Hermosa destroyed by rangers
- TX: 'Active Plan' trail network featured in national publication
GT MTB Recall
"About 1,240 bikes have faulty handlebars that can crack, according to the company." more...
Free Roadside Assistance for Cyclists
Hartford, CT - "...Roadside assistance for bikes isn't a new invention, but the Hartford BID appears to the be the first business district in the United States to offer it - for free, seven days a week..." more
Oregon Cyclist Tax Could Raise Price of New Bikes
"Oregon might be the first state to introduce a specific tax on new bicycles, if a massive state transportation bill is passed." more...
Teen Arrested for Robbery, attack on Greenway
Charlotte, NC - "Police are urging people on McMullen Creek Greenway to walk or run with a partner after a second crime this year was reported on the greenway." more...
- NE: Fort Kearny Hike-Bike Trail ready for feet, tires, paws
- MA: Bike trail supporters seek delay of transfer station contract
- UT: DeJoria Center opens High Star Mountain Bike Trail
- WA: Summertime repairs to Yakima Greenway
- WA: Seattle releases draft bike share pilot permit
Bike Movement Beginning to Move in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "Only a few years ago, the path to becoming an avid cyclist in Cleveland was no easy ride. Rentals were scarce, as were bike lanes..." more
Bloomington Woman Circulates Petition to Prevent Bike Lanes
IL - "...Teresea Enyeart lives on Washington and, after knocking on 34 doors, has gathered 22 signatures of people who oppose the bike lane. She said the neighborhood is not against bikers, but they don't think Washington is a safe place for a bike lane." more...
NACTO Wants to Design Better Streets, Faster
"Is your city government taking too long to deliver safer streets? The National Association of City Transportation Officials is on the case.a" more...
Ranking Spotlights New Complete Streets Policies
"...According to a new report ranking municipalities on the accessibility of their roadways for biking and walking, more cities saw the light last year than ever before..." more
- NE: Sheriff Says Human Skull Found Along Nature Trail
- MN: Bicycling advocates push to extend Midtown Greenway to St. Paul
- TX: Ribbon-cutting ceremony for $100M 'Bayou Greenways 2020'
- FL: Body found at Fred George Greenway Park
- MA: Selectmen In Bourne Seek Legal Opinion Tied To Bike Path Plan
- IL: TREC trail to extend from Effingham to Lake Sara
- IA: Plan cuts downtown one-way streets, adds protected bike lanes
- AZ: Tucson Pedestrian Deaths Up Sharply; Jaywalking Blamed
- KY: Sidewalk Campaign Reminds Distracted Walkers
- ME: Build Maine test new traffic patterns
Lake Link Trail in Flats opens Friday
Cleveland, OH - "The newest section of the Cleveland Foundation Centennial Lake Link Trail on the West Bank of the Flats is a small part of a much bigger trail network emerging in Cleveland." more...
Hamilton Trail gets Downtown Connection
Hamilton, OH - "A large new ramp now connects Hamilton's hiking/biking path along the shoreline of the Great Miami River with the city's new Marcum Park near the RiversEdge amphitheater..." more
Cleveland Bike Lane Closed
Cleveland, OH - "Late last month, social media reports and photos of the dreaded orange barrels placed in the bike lane on Detroit-Superior bridge began to emerge. They were in the eastbound bike lane, and when they popped up - the reason wasn't readily apparent..." more
'Ghost Bike' Memorial returns to Fatal Crash Site
Kalamazoo, MI - "Five "ghost bikes" have been returned to the site of last year's fatal bicycle crash in Kalamazoo to commemorate the five bicyclists who were killed." more...
Adventure Cycling E-News
Bike Bits Volume 19, June 7, 2017.
Mystery Creature Captured on Video near Hiking Trail
La Crescenta, CA - "The California Department of Fish and Wildlife is investigating after a man captured a mysterious, ape-like animal on video during a walk in the woods." more...
Analysis of the Biking Networks in 299 U.S. Cities
"...PeopleForBikes, has just made the first attempt to measure and compare local bike networks on a nationwide scale." more...
Can Algorithms Design Safer Intersections?
"Cities and tech firms are deploying new technology to gauge risks at dangerous intersections..." more
California's Billion-Dollar Active Transportation Plan
CA - "On the tail of a historic three-year funding ride for biking and walking projects, California upped the ante this spring by announcing a $1 billion increase to its innovative Active Transportation Program (ATP) over the next decade." more...
- SC: Gills Creek greenway gets go-ahead
- NC: Raleigh neighbors 'ready to fight' path of proposed Greenway
- VA: Another Piece of Waynesboro South River Greenway in Place
- TN: Cleveland Breaks Ground For New Casteel Connector
- VA: Leesburg Sets County Standard for Bike Access
- IL: 2nd woman attacked while riding bike in South Loop
What Will Replace Akron's Innerbelt?
Akron, OH - "About two-dozen people met in Kent over the weekend to brainstorm ideas for the future of Akron's Innerbelt highway." more...
Roadway Improvements Include Shared Use Paths
Columbus, OH - "...A shared-use path for pedestrians and bicycles will be added on the west side of Olentangy River Road from West North Broadway to McConnell Drive, and the new OhioHealth Boulevard and the as-yet-unnamed east-west road will include shared-use paths..." more
Cyclist Paralyzed after Trail Bollard Crash
WA - "...While riding through the Cecil Moses Memorial Park the victim struck an unmarked bollard that had been installed in the middle of the path..." more
Learn more about the trail bollard hazard.
Tracking Chips for Bikes
"Many years ago - back in my stolenbicycleregistry.com days - I wrote an article about the possibility of using RFID to track bikes." more...
Bike Parking & the Bottom Line
"5 reasons why retail business can no longer afford to ignore bicyclists." more...
- GA: Construction Is Underway on Eastside Greenway Extension
- SC: Gills Creek Greenway Gets Green Light
- IL: Edwardsville Looks to Increase Bike Trail Connections
- WA: Seattle's Future Streets
- NC: Murder Charges After Bicyclist Beaten up Dies
Ohio Launches 'Your Move' Campaign
Columbus, OH - "...Fatal and serious accidents in Ohio involving bicyclists and pedestrians hit their highest levels in a decade last year..." more
Key Bank Bike Giveaway
Cleveland, OH - "What began as a competitive team-building exercise for 145 summer interns at KeyBank ended Friday with a lesson in giving back to the community." more...
DOT adds 'Dutch Reach' to Driver's Manual
MA - "...The department announced Tuesday that the Registry of Motor Vehicles has added the 'Dutch Reach' safety procedure to its latest driver's manual, in an effort to reduce the number of 'dooring' incidents involving cyclists. more...
Bike Lane Bikelash in Baltimore
MD - "Baltimore Mayor Catherine Pugh has given in to bikelash, downgrading a new protected bike lane while the city was in the process of installing it..." more
Police Report on Cyclist Fatality
NC - "Wilmington police have released the accident report that details the deadly collision between a tanker truck and a bicyclist on South 17th Street last month." more...
Cyclists Claim Security Barriers are Unsafe
UK - "Cyclists have complained that new security barriers on London's bridges make roads less safe for them, just hours after they were installed to protect pedestrians from terror attacks." more...
Survey Reveals Driver Ignorance
UK - "A new survey by eBikes Direct has revealed how ignorant British drivers are about the rights of cyclists despite daily contact." more...
- IN: Non-profit created to push Ohio River Greenway project forward
- OR: Cyclists on greenway concerned obstructions on pathway
- MI: Grants to improve Highland Park's biking and pedestrian infrastructure
- MO: City looks to increase bike trail connections
- SD: Business Owner Tracks Down Stolen Bike Suspect
- ND: NDSU Professor brings his classroom to the bike trail
- IN: Greenwood officials hope trail development, renovations will spark bike rental usage
Upcoming Blacklick Trail Closing June 12
Columbus, OH - From Franklin MetroParks: Trail to be rerouted to traffic across Winchester Pike-Shannon Road. Area to be closed ~40 days.
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Newsletter
Read the 2017 Spring edition.
- IRE: Great Southern Trail in West Limerick becomes a 'Greenway'
- VA: Waynesboro Greenway keeps growing
- CT: Connecticut's trail network steadily growing
- WV: Ohio Valley Trail Partners Seek Community Engagement in Wheeling
- NH: Bike Share Manchester is ready to roll onto city streets today
- WA: Clark County's culture of cycling is growing
More Details on 5 Cyclists that were Struck
Cleveland, OH - "...Dungy was arrested on scene for aggravated vehicular assault and suspected OVI, according to a police spokesperson." more...
Ann Arbor's $55M Trail Plan
MI - "Ann Arbor's plan for a new greenway trail for pedestrians and cyclists is taking shape, and there's now a preferred route showing how the path would wind through the city..." more
- NY: New York sends trail crews to Adirondacks, Catskills
- MI: Grant To Build Support For Greenway Segment In Highland Park
- WI: New bike trail opens in the Fox Valley
- AR: A bridge to the bike trail
- CO: Online map has 39,000 miles of hiking trails
- WA: Using machine learning to predict traffic collisions in Bellevue
- AUS: Kowen Forest mountain bike trails to be lost under plans to clear-fell trees
5 Cyclists Struck, 3 in Critical Condition
Cleveland, OH - "Cleveland Police say that early Saturday morning, five cyclists were struck by a car, and one of the victims was struck again by a hit-skip driver before police had a chance to respond." more...
Akron Innerbelt Design Charrette
Akron, OH - "Craig Thompson Architecture is putting out a call to artists, developers, architects and other creative types interested in brainstorming new designs for Akron's Innerbelt." more...
Lakefront Parks are Flourishing
Cleveland, OH - "...Clough's vision for the shaping of Cleveland's lakefront is anchored by an audacious proposal to create hundreds of acres of park and green space on land now bisected by the Shoreway." more...
Improving Dangerous Bike Route for Kids
Grand Traverse County, MI - "...Three Mile is a highway and it is one of our main corridors. Even if the shoulder was widened it still would not be safe for kids getting to and from school..." more
Cycling Community Tracks Down Stolen Bikes
Safety Fencing installed on Bike Trail: Memorial Planned
CAN - "Geoffrey Bercarich has been making 'ghost bikes' for fallen cyclists for more than a decade, but he's never made one this small. more...
- MA: Planners identify possible routes for bike path
- IA: Proposed bike route in western Iowa would span 6 counties
- CA: Walking and biking path opening along the LA River in Studio City
- FL: Making mobility a priority in the Sun Cities
- MA: Construction begins on Tri-Community Greenway
- CA: Ford's GoBike bike sharing service to launch across the Bay Area
Northside Waits for Bike Lane Approval
Cincinnati, OH - "Northside residents are waiting for City Council to approve bike lanes along Spring Grove Avenue, but time is running out." more...
Summit and Portage Lay Out $5.5B in Transpo Projects
NE OH - "...recommending more than $5 .5 billion be spent on highway infrastructure. The plan also recommends more than $2 billion in public transportation benefits and $33 million for bike and pedestrian transportation." more...
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails Newsletter
Wayne County, OH - Read the June edition.
Dirty River Bicycle Works
Akron, OH - " Dirty River Bicycle Works, a new specialty bicycle shop, is opening in Akron's North Side Arts District." more...
Do-It-Yourself Approach to Taming Extra-Wide Streets
Houston, TX - "Impatient at the slow rate of change on Houston's streets, advocates and urban designers took it upon themselves to tame some of their city's wide roads - and are promising to come back for a second round soon." more...
Neighbors Don't like Raleigh's Greenway Plan
Raleigh, NC - "The city plans to build a walking and biking path to connect downtown Raleigh to Dix Park, but some neighbors say the route doesn't make sense and could be dangerous..." more
Doppelt Fund Helps 6 Trails
"Today, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) announced the recipients of the 2017 Doppelt Family Trail Development Fund grant program, awarding more than $100,000 to enhance or complete multiuse trail projects in six communities across the United States." more...
Medical Cost from Crashes Soaring
"...The medical cost of dealing with squished cyclists is increasing dramatically..." more
- TN: Family believes greenway killing not a random act
- TN: Groundbreaking set Wednesday for connector
- TX: San Elizario gets grant to build hike and bike trail along canal
- IN: Bike trail project hits a detour
- MN: Glacial Lakes State Trail gets $2.6M
- IA: Data Bike to Hit the Trails in Des Moines
- SD: Groups say lack of pedestrian safety holding downtown back
Temporary Closure Along Little Miami Trail
Pedestrian Beacons Catching On
Worthington, OH - "Nearly two months after the hybrid pedestrian beacons on High Street were activated, downtown Worthington visitors still are adjusting to them." more...
Miami Valley Trails Newsletter
SW OH - Read the 2017 Spring Issue.
Greenway Stabbing Victim had just Moved to the Area
Knoxville, TN - "...Within the first six hours in his new city, he was stabbed to death." more...
Bike Share Boom a Cautionary Tale
China - "Cyclists flood the streets of a country once known as the Kingdom of Bikes - but often ignore traffic rules and abandon their rides all over the city. Now, national policy is stepping in to curb the chaos." more...
Study Tests a Bike Network's Effects on Safety and Ridership
"Which is more important to making a city great for biking: the number of high-quality bikeways, or whether they're connected to each other?" more...
- CT: Madison Bike Trail Is Very Popular
- CT: West Hartford Officer Nabs Alleged Bike
- TX: City celebrates progress on Southmost Nature Trail
- NH: Hartford to Review Town Forest's Trails
- MA: Zipline Over Boston's Rose F. Kennedy Greenway Set For Opening
- CA: New Santa Cruz nonprofit wants a trail, no rail, across county
- AR: North Little Rock, Little Rock teaming up to launch bike share
- CA: Launch Dates for Bike Share Expansions in Pasadena and Port of LA
- OR: New path in Waterfront Park part of Naito's emerging role
- WA: Spring Street bike lane is a big improvement, but it ends just short
- CO: Drunken driver who killed Boulder cyclist in hit-and-run sentenced to 12 years
Fall Kills Kentucky Man at Blackhand Gorge
Newark, OH - "...Bartley climbed a tree on top of the trestle and then slipped and fell out of the tree and off the edge of the trail..." more
Towpath Times Newsletter
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Are Bikes Lanes Bad for Business?
"To bike lane or not to bike lane?" more...
Bike Paths: Why Cities should focus on Quality
Vancouver - "He's the point man for transport planning in Vancouver, which wants two-thirds of all trips by 2040 to be made on foot, bikes or transit, with cycling taking centre stage..." more
Copenhagen Cyclists get Traffic Info Screens
"Cyclists in Copenhagen will now be able to pick up information about two-wheeled traffic jams en route through the Danish capital." more...
- CT: Shoreline Greenway Trail Opens New East Haven Section
- NC: Second phase of Purple Martin Greenway grand opening
- CAN: Sudbury to Sault link in bike trail to open with a splash
- MI: Bike route along Gratiot in Kimball
- NC: Winston-Salem's new Zagster bike-share program
- CA: Sacramento Bike Share Program Expanding From 50 To 1,000 Bikes
- GA: The Atlanta BeltLine Has a Long Way to Go
- UK: New drivers in New South Wales may have to take cycling course
- WA: Unfortunate Seattle Times front page showcases the toxic windshield perspective
Towpath Closures in Summit County
From summitmetroparks.org, "The Towpath Trail is closed between Beech Street and Route 59 due to storm damage." And "The Towpath Trail is closed north and south of the Clinton Trailhead due to flooding."
Has Norfolk's Bike Lane Loop Defied Critics?
Norforlk, VA - "...Some commuters cried foul when bike lanes replaced a lane of traffic on Llewellyn Avenue..." more
Body found near Trolley Track Trail
Kansas City, MO - "...The recent killings on another trail -- the Indian Creek Trail -- where the latest death occurred about three miles away from this location, has some wondering if this incident is related." more...
Toronto's Big Cycling Challenge
CAN - "City has 10-year plan to build cycling network, but advocates calling for more lanes sooner." more...
Radical New Vision for Transport in U.S.
"The 2017 Strong Towns Summit was almost two months ago, but we're still feeling energized and excited by all the ideas that were discussed in Tulsa..." more...
- NZ: School cycle trail leads to bike boom
- IL: Hub sought for users of area trails
- NY: Ribbon cutting to celebrate new trail segments
- IRE: Upgrading of Great Southern Greenway begins
- PA: West Philly neighborhood offers microcosm of city's traffic woes
- D.C.: New traffic signal will favor pedestrians
- WA: Finally fixing NE 65th Street
- OR: Cyclists Have Mixed Views On An Oregon Bike Tax
Towpath Closure in Navarre
From Starkparks, "The trail will be closed just north of Wooster St. in Navarre until further notice for a construction project next to the trail. We are working with the contractor and Village of Navarre to have the trail open on weekends during the summer season. Varying trail conditions should be expected until after the trail reopens. Please use caution and be aware of construction equipment in the area. More permanent repairs after recent flooding will be in progress as weather permits."
Loveland Fire Damages Historic District
Driver Sought after Bike Trail Hit-and-Run
FL - "...Manny Vargas, 38, of Lake Worth was walking southbound along the bike trail in the 3400 block of S. Militrary Trail when a vehicle entered the bike trail and struck him, pushing him approximately 75 feet, officials said." more...
Lakefront Construction in Full Swing
Chicago, IL - "...Segments of the 18-mile multi-use path are being ripped up and repaved to separate cyclists from everyone else - and a $60 million project to build a 'flyover' over the congested downtown area near Navy Pier remains in progress." more...
Better Safety Needed on Bike Trails
CAN - "The heart-breaking death of a 5-year-old boy last week has underscored the urgent need to improve the safety of the Martin Goodman Trail - and others like it - throughout the city." more...
- AUS: Mountain bike trails returning to the National Arboretum
- KS: Group of juveniles robbed at gunpoint early Sunday on Shunga Trail
Bike Route Links 15 Counties
IN - "A 360-mile cycling route connecting 15 counties from the northern tip of Indian to the southern end has officially launched during National Bike Month this May." more...
Shreveport Opens First Bike Lane
LA - "Around three dozen cyclists gathered on the Creswell Street side of Columbia Park as the black tarp was pulled off of the new bike [lane] designation sign." more...
Bike Rental Competition in Singapore
"In less than half a year since bike-sharing made its debut in Singapore, some bike-rental kiosks and companies have taken a hit due to [the immense competition], with one reporting a drop in revenue of around 20 to 30 per cent." more...
- MA: Project aims to increase cycle safety in Wellfleet, Truro
- NC: Woodfin Greenway & Blueway Receives Major Funding Support
- WA: Padelford named next Director of Seattle Neighborhood Greenways
Are Downtown Dwellers Ready to Leave Cars Behind?
Akron, OH - "...Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan has said he wants to increase downtown residency from about 3,600 people to at least 10,000." more...
Attempting to Gauge the Impact of "Near-Miss" Incidents
Houston, TX - "...More than two-thirds were near-misses between cyclists and car drivers, while about one in three were between pedestrians and drivers." more...
Proposed Bike Route would Span 6 Counties
IA - "...The Frontier Iowa Trails Network is working on the designation of the Lewis and Clark Today Route, which will span from Woodbury County in the north, southward to Fremont County. more...
- MN: Dan Dailey, who helped establish Cedar Lake Park and trail, dies at 68
- NC: $4M grant approved for Woodfin greenway projects
- MN: Plymouth to cut ribbon on Northwest Greenway recreation trail
- MT: Mountain bike trail closed on Washakie District
- TX: Regional hike-and-bike trail anticipated in RGV
- MI: SEMCOG Grant to help fund new bike trails in Taylor
- MO: 'Across STL' Project On How Trails, Bike Paths Connect People to Places
- FL: Protective bike lanes coming to West Palm Beach road
Red Bike to Surpass 250,000 Rides this Month
Cincinnati, OH - "...Red Bike started putting bike stations in Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky in September 2014. Today they have 59 stations and 442 bikes..." more
Cincy Launches New Bike Rack Web App
Cincinnati, OH - "The City of Cincinnati has launched a new web app that allows residents and visitors to help the City update its bicycle rack inventory..." more
"We Will Pull You Over for Texting"
Toledo, OH - "...Now, Toledo Police and other law enforcement agencies say they will pull you over for it, based on an Ohio law that is separate from statute 4511.204..." more
PENNDOT Abolishes the Bikeway Occupancy Permit
PA - "...The BOP, which had been law up until now, required a municipality that wanted a new bike lane to maintain any bikeway in PENNDOT's right of way." more...
Louisville Bike Share Launches
KY - "...A network of nearly 30 LouVelo bicycle sharing stations are now operational and placed strategically throughout downtown Louisville, NuLu, Old Louisville and Butchertown, to make your riding dreams come true." more...
Vision Zero and Traffic Safety
NYC - "...In NYC, Vision Zero consists of reengineering intersections and streets..." more
Toronto to Study Safety Measures after Child's Death
CAN - "The city of Toronto will look into safety measures for the Martin Goodman trail following the tragic death of 5-year-old boy who fell into traffic from a bike trail next to Lake Shore Blvd. W., Wednesday night." more...
"For small businesses cropping up and cashing in on bicycle tourism, it's not always easy..." more
- CAN: Boy, 5, riding bike killed after fall into traffic
- KS: Bike rides, run to kick-off trail's grand opening
- WI: CamRock to state trail bike plan resurrected
- CA: Is Sacramento finally becoming more bike-friendly?
- NH: Bike path loop project moves forward in Keene
- TN: Mayor Barry orders 'action agenda' for quick transportation fixes
- SC: Make bike-ped plan a reality
- OR: Killingsworth gets two-way protected bike lanes
- WA: Investors are putting big money into private bike share companies
- NC: Cary looks to connect American Tobacco Trail to White Oak Creek Greenway
Roanoke Launches Bike Share
VA - "While the rain Wednesday morning did not make for nice biking weather, it didn't deter some from hopping on one of Roanoke's new bikes for a spin around downtown." more...
Brother says Streetcar Tracks to Blame for Sister's Death
Seattle, WA - "The brother of a bicyclist killed a year ago has filed claims against the city of Seattle and Sound Transit, saying the First Hill Streetcar trolley tracks were to blame for the crash." more...
Legalizing MTB Riding at Whiskeytown Recreation Area
CA - "For decades mountain biking and mountain bike racing have gone at Whiskeytown National Recreation Area - all of it illegally." more...
200 Attend Ride Honoring Trail Homicide Victim
Kansas City, MO - "...He was murdered last week while walking his dog on the Indian Creek Trail. Officials say his killing has similarities to other homicides on the same trail." more...
White House Budget Sets Troublesome Tone for Trails
"...the budget does outline principles that will guide the administration's philosophy toward infrastructure and serve as warning shots." more...
The Way we Talk about Traffic Deaths is All Wrong
"...driving is so pervasive in our culture that when a tragedy occurs on our streets, we as a society are often quick to protect the drivers, rather than the most vulnerable." more...
How can Doctors Prescribe Cycling when Roads are Unsafe?
"...As a specialist in critical care, I look after trauma patients all the time. I have seen pedestrians folded in half by snowploughs, cyclists with crushed chests, and all manner of injuries caused when soft, squishy humans meet momentous objects unexpectedly." more...
- OR: The Bear Creek Greenway is getting cleaner
- RI: One-way greenway loop draws mostly negative reaction
- CO: Wayfinding signs improve safety along Carter Greenway
- TX: Ground broken for regional hike-and-bike trail
- VA: Work progresses on bike pump track
- NE: Hebron building up trail network one leg at a time
- TX: Amarillo's Rock Island Rail Trail to get makeover
- MD: Canton residents say bike lane widths violate city code
- MI: MoGo Detroit Bike Share program shifts into gear
Cyclist Assaulted on Warren Trail
Bike Advocates Discuss Fatal Hit-n-Run
Cincinnati, OH - See the video.
Euclid's Waterfront Improvement Plan
Euclid, OH - "With Lake Erie right in Euclid's 'back yard,' the city is ready to move forward in its shoreline restoration project." more...
Seattle's Protected Bike Lanes Increase Commute Rates
WA - "There's no question about it: comfortable, safe bicycle infrastructure plays a significant role in encouraging people to ride..." more
Patrols Increase on Murfreesboro Greenway
TN - "Police are on the hunt for a man who allegedly exposed himself to a woman on a greenway walking trail in Murfreesboro." more...
- NC: Greenway connector to be constructed
- NC: Ribbon cutting Thursday along Greenway
- NY: Towns received grants from Hudson River Valley Greenway
- AUS: Stunning new $21m FNQ mountain bike trail to be a 'national icon'
- IN: Groundbreaking for new bike trail in Oakland City
- NY: Adirondacks are anomaly in 'Rails-to-Trails' doc
- UK: London's Bank junction closed to most traffic as part of safety scheme
- UT: mayor wants to add more bike lanes
- AZ: Ped deaths prompt Mesa police to watch for jaywalkers
- CA: Caltrans Adopts Statewide Bike and Pedestrian Plan
- OR: ODOT's new path around deadly Lombard intersection
- OR: Portland's 20 mph speed limit bill nears final passage
- WA: City's 2019 plans for SW Avalon would improve bike access
- NV: Seniors Have to Cross Merciless Streets
- CA: Permit for portable toilets at Santa Ana River trail near homeless camp
Heroin Using Driver Kills Bicyclist
Anderson Twp., OH - "A 61-year-old bicyclist was killed Monday by a driver who admitted to using heroin before getting behind the wheel..." more
NOACA Pedestrian and Cyclist Study
NE OH - "Volunteers spent three days last week counting pedestrians and cyclists in Northeast Ohio as part of region-wide study." more...
Pop-Up Comics Push for Better Bike Lanes
Boston, MA - "Boston's latest do-it-yourself bike lane intervention might seem a bit sketchy - because it uses comics to prod City Hall for needed safety improvements." more...
Body Found on Greenway Identified
Longmont, CO - "A 42-year-old Longmont man was found dead on the St. Vrain Greenway on Sunday..." more
Why More People Didn't Get Hurt in Times Square
NYC - "Twenty-two people were injured and one person was killed when a driver raced through a busy sidewalk in Times Square on Thursday..." more
Nicky Hayden Dies after being Struck by Car in Italy
"American motorcycle racer Nicky Hayden has died, five days after he was hit by a car while training on his bicycle, an Italian hospital said Monday. Hayden was 35." more...
Is Montreal Still North America's Cycling Capital?
"As bikes boom in Canada's second largest city, advocates warn the city might not be taking safety seriously enough." more...
Cities Misinterpreting the Safety of Streets
"Crash data on reported collisions may not be telling the whole story about whether our streets are safe for bicyclists and pedestrians." more...
Connecting Cities' Scattered Bikeways
"When the low-hanging fruit has all been eaten, there's only one thing to do: climb higher." more...
What Happens to Drivers Who Kill Cyclists?
"We researched fatal crashes in seven cities to find out..." more
- WV: Mountwood Park to add new flow trail
- UK: Primary schools gain new Angel Trail BMX tracks
- WI: Lower Yahara River Trail construction starting this week
- IRE: Minister launches public consultation on new greenways strategy
- WA: Seattle could set stationless bike share rules in June
- WA: Seattle has reversed a decades-long trend of rising car ownership
- UK: North Yorkshire Police becomes first force to get one of Cycling UK's close pass mats
Barlow Rd Improvements Includes Trail
Hudson, OH - " Improvements to Barlow Road will continue through the next two years with the addition of a trail from the Metro Parks Bike and Hike trail on the west side of Terex Road to state Route 91." more...
Contractor Clears all Trees along Stretch of Trail
Muncie, IN - "A lawsuit might follow the clearing of trees and bushes from along hundreds of yards of the Cardinal Greenway trail north of Muncie." more...
Mayfield Bikeway Funding OK'd
KY - "...Watson announced construction of the Mayfield Bikeway on Friday morning during a news conference at Mayfield City Hall..." more
Mapping America's Bike Commuters
"In honor of Bike to Work Day, we dug into where the largest share of these intrepid workers get to their jobs on two wheels." more...
- NE: Flooding Along Big Blue River Closes Beatrice Campground, Part of Trail
- GA: Plan shows 44 miles of possible bike trails
- CA: Lake Tahoe biking trails getting a makeover
- AK: East Fairbanks to get more bike, pedestrian paths
- CT: State's First Protected Bike Lane Debuts
- WA: Why Spin bikeshare says it will succeed in Seattle
New Hiking Trails Open in Hocking Hills
Logan, OH - "Hocking Hills State Park now features two new hiking trails that officials expect will increase the popularity of a recreation haven that already attracts more than 1 million visitors each year." more...
4 Murders Along Indian Trail in 9 Months
Kansas City, MO - "...Police say while there is no physical evidence tying the four cases together, all four victims white men and three of them were walking their dogs either on the trail or close to the trail..." more
St. Paul-to-Canada Route Added to U.S. Biking Network
MN - "An existing set of roadways and bike paths between St. Paul and Grand Portage State Park has been designated U.S. Bike Route 41." more...
Alum Creek - Sharon Woods Connector Trail
Westerville, OH - "Construction [is underway] of approximately 4,000 linear feet of asphalt pathway along Cooper Rd and Copeland Mill Rd to provide a paved trail connecting the existing multi use trail along Alum Creek to Sharon Woods Metropark." more...
Riverfront Bike Trail Considered in Stubenville
Steubenville, OH - "Steubenville and Jefferson County officials are making more moves this week for a shared-use trail and bike path to the Steubenville Marina." more...
Central Ohio Greenways Launches New Website
Columbus, OH - "Central Ohio Greenways (COG) is connecting the Central Ohio region with over 180 miles of trails for everyone to explore parks, neighborhoods, rivers, and the vibrant, diverse culture of one of the nation's greatest places to live, work, and play." more...
Pedicab Service Opens in Dayton
Dayton, OH - "First Through Fifth will be providing free pedicab service - with tips encouraged - throughout downtown Dayton starting May 19..." more
30-Mile Trail Project Nears Completion
MI - "Ottawa County Parks & Recreation Commission hopes to complete $41-million plan linking Grand Haven to Grand Rapids in five years." more...
Plan for MTB Trail Ditched after Nasty Year-Long Battle
Elizabeth, NJ - "A deeply divided Union County Freeholder Board on Thursday narrowly voted to drop a proposal for creating a mountain bike trail in the Watchung Reservation." more...
'Data Bike' Helps Maintain Iowa Trails
IA - "...It's part of the Des Moines Metropolitan Planning Organization's effort to measure the health of recreational trails and arm the agencies that maintain them with valuable data to aid budgeting decisions and respond more quickly to damage." more...
- MA: Neponset Greenway trail open for use
- TN: Indecent Exposure on the Greenway
- RI: New 'Greenway' line to open at Roger Williams Park
- IA: Iowa developing 209-mile bicycle route
- VA: How bike helmet grant has improved Richmond bike trails
- AR: bicycle route along the Mississippi blocked by farmers' suit
- CO: An open mind on Denver's clunky Broadway bike lane
- FL: Starkey Wilderness Park to reopen Saturday with limited access to trails
- OR: Cyclist sues city for arrest
- OR: Businesses reward riders through new 'Biko' smartphone app
- WA: Rainier Ave ride demos huge potential for bike lanes
Cars Using Section of Camp Chase Trail
Man Knocked Unconscious, Bike Stolen
Portland, OR - "While riding on the Springwater Corridor path early Wednesday morning, someone knocked Portland resident Vincent Rodarte off his bike. The impact caused him to lose consciousness. When he woke up, his custom-built mountain bike was gone." more...
Driver gets 42-Month Sentence for Killing Cyclist
Portland, OR - "...Schrantz's driving record is littered with at least 40 tickets for driving uninsured and without a license (he was also convicted for hit-and-run in 2015)..." more
Body Found on Bike Trail along Indian Creek
Kansas City, MO - "Police are now calling the death of a man whose body was found Thursday along a bike trail right off of Indian Creek in south Kansas City a homicide." more...
The victim has been identified.
Thief tries to Steal Bike Off Back of Moving Car
UK - "This is the moment a brazen thief tries to steal a £2,500 bike off the bike rack of a moving car in the middle of London, thankfully not succeeding." more...
Global Street Design Guide Now Available
"As s of this week, the Global Street Design Guide, a handbook for cities around the world to design safe, sustainable streets, is available to the public as for free online." more...
- TX: Waco accepts donated ped bridge
- GA: Projects will add more miles to North Oconee Greenway
- AL: 2 injured in shooting at Wade Mountain Greenway
- NJ: Proposed bike trail in Watchung Reservation sparks battle
- VT: Route 100 bike trails to grow with new funds
- NYC: Driver Hits Multiple People on Times Square Sidewalk
- MA: Advocates plan protest following Walsh's 'victim blaming' comments
- WA: How Seattle can increase two-wheeled commuting
- IL: Peoria Launches Bike Share Program
- NC: Is Charlotte's bike plan update good enough?
- WA: WA now has a Bicycle Safety Advisory Council
- MI: City of Detroit plans $63M street repair project
- TN: Murfreesboro Council approves Phase 4 Construction for 2.9 miles of added Greenway
Stow Considers Walkable Downtown
Stow, OH - "Stow City Council has unanimously voted to fund a study on whether to create a walkable downtown retail district." more...
New MTB Trail Caters to all Riders
Whitehouse, OH - "A new attraction at Oak Openings is appealing to both extreme sport enthusiasts and cycling novices alike..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Cyclist Shot During Ride
New Orleans, LA - "Video captured the moment a man was shot in the back while biking with a group in New Orleans..." more
San Fran Tries to Ban Delivery Bots
CA - "A little more than a month after a startup announced it was unleashing robots to deliver food to San Franciscans, a city lawmaker wants them curbed." more...
Adventure Cycling Bike Bits - May 17
Read the latest edition.
'Rideables' Could be Future of Urban Mobility
UK - "...'Rideables,' as they are known, are not intended to supersede bicycles, but to democratise access to the cycle lanes..." more
- PA: South Whitehall advances Jordan Park Greenway development
- MA: Greenway envisioned to beautify, enliven Red Line tunnel cap
- IN: City names dates for bike path, trailhead to open
- MN: Reconstruction of Old River Road Trail completed
- WV: Video featuring bike trail could be boost for tourism, officials say
- OR: The impact of fear on 'bike safety' in car-centric Beaverton
- WA: Governor vetoes delayed rollout of distracted driving law
Hoover Trail Construction
North Canton, OH - "A project to extend the Hoover Hike and Bike Trail in North Canton will close busy Route 43 for about a month starting May 31st." more...
Residents Upset after Building Expansion Encroaches on Trail
MD - "Community members said the car dealership's proposal isn't enough to compensate for structure's encroachment on the trail easement." more...
Guerrilla Toilet Plunger Bike Lanes Are Officially a Trend
"Another illegal bike lane crafted out of plumbing tools hit streets recently, in Providence, RI - and the mayor is cool with it." more...
Family of Deceased Cyclist get $4.5M Settlement
Los Angeles, CA - "After Edgardo Gabat was killed during a road ride in LA three years ago, his family sued the city for neglect in maintaining its streets." more...
Storm Drainage Can Be a Transportation Twofer
"...on-street storm drainage can be a great deal for taxpayers and safe streets alike." more...
- IN: New Lights Proposed for Greenway
- CA: Bike trail renamed after historical figure
- OR: Forest Park feud ramps up
- CO: Another car nearly landed on the Cherry Creek bike path after a crash
- IL: MCT donates bike to police department
- NC: Residents post homemade signs warning speeders
- D.C.: Battle brewing over new sidewalk
- PA: Indego Bike Share turns two, celebrates 1.2 million rides
- DE: Engineers Without Borders organizes bike pop-up for local school
- WA: Panel of experts will discuss solutions to bike theft
- MS: Bike crash survivor talks bike safety
- NE: Group glues 120 toilet plungers onto Omaha street to show what a protected bike lane could do
- NC: Young woman on bicycle killed in crash
Arial Tour of Proposed Dayton 'High Line' Trail
Dayton, OH - "...Although it's still in the conceptual stage, the City of Dayton has taken the first steps to acquire 6.5 miles of railway that could eventually become 'high-line' bicycle trail and parks on the elevated railway." more...
AAA for Bike Breakdowns in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "The Greater Cincinnati chapter of the American Automobile Association will now pick up stranded bicyclists under a new initiative by the organization, whose focus has traditionally been on problems people have with their cars." more...
Road Raging Driver Brought to Justice
"The road-raging driver had just endangered the life of the cyclist and his toddler, and now he was spoiling for a fight..." more
New Law Fails to Prevent Cyclists Deaths
Orange County, CA - "...A review of Orange County Coroner records and published reports found that despite new laws, thousands of dollars spent improving safety and more 'share the road' signs, we averaged a bicycle death by vehicle every month." more...
Chicago Virtually Stops Ticketing Distracted Drivers
IL - "If you text and drive in Chicago, worry about crashing. But don't worry too much about getting ticketed. The Chicago police appear to have all but given up enforcing a city ordinance against distracted driving." more...
- SC: Reopening of Swamp Rabbit Trail sliver delayed
- NY: Father of the Greenway Dies at 97
- IL: Port Byron residents blame bike trail for standing water in yards
- AUS: Tasmania announces $1M funding to develop St Helens MTB Trail
- MI: Bike rental program ready to roll at Jackson trail system
Cincy Cycling Community Growing
Cincinnati, OH - "Recent surveys list Cincinnati as one of the fastest growing bicycling cities in the country." more...
New Bike Park Set to Open
Louisville, KY - "...The bike park will be in the Turkey Run Park section of the vast four-park, recreation corridor along Floyds Fork in far eastern Jefferson County..." more
Fairbikes Bike Share adds Stations, Doubles its Fleet
Fairbanks, AK - "...Anyone with a smartphone app can check availability, rent and unlock bikes at stations throughout town..." more
Can Seattle Deliver on Promises Made to Cycling Community?
WA - "When voters passed the levy to 'Move Seattle' in 2015, big promises were made on what it would buy for cyclists..." more
China's Bike Share App Floods Sidewalks with Bikes
CHN - "China's renewed love affair with the bicycle is proving a boon for mobile bike-sharing apps but is causing headaches by congesting city sidewalks." more...
- NC: New greenway extension to be built in Gastonia
- GA: Officials look at options for joining 2 area trail systems
- NC: Blazing new trails on the mountain
- OR: Can we find space for everyone in Forest Park?
- IL: Part of Lakefront Trail Separation Nearing Completion
- MA: Rail trail reality: 'It's perception'
- CO: The proposed Wildcat Trail needs a lot of work
- NZ: Controversial $10M cycle route gets under way
- SC: Charleston's new bike share program to launch May 30
- CA: Pop-up hay bale bike lane tested
Cincy Bike Commuting Survey
Cincinnati, OH - "Supporters of the Wasson Way bike trail project have voted to extend the proposed bike trail an additional 1.1 miles so that it reaches Avondale..." more
Commission Turns Down Preferred Rail Trail Route
CA - "A divided California Coastal Commission voted to reject Encinitas' preferred route for a segment of the Coastal Rail Trail that will run through Cardiff-by-the-Sea, leaving elected officials and residents who attended the hearing stunned." more...
Lafitte Greenway Growing in Fits & Starts
New Orleans, LA - "...New Orleans Deputy Mayor Jeff Hebert acknowledges that the 2.6-mile trail is still pretty much an ongoing construction site, even though it officially opened 18 months ago and is used by an average of 750 people daily." more...
- GA: Giant sidewalks connecting trails to downtown Columbus
- CAN: Pitt River Regional Greenway Continues to Grow
- OK: Locals fed up with trash on the trails
- MA: Adams Celebrates Rail Trail Extension Opening
Little Miami Trail Section Repaved
Loveland, OH - "...An 8-mile section of trail from Camp Denison to Loveland was recently repaved, thanks to a $750,000 grant from the Land and Water Conservation Fund. The work included drainage improvement and widening of the trail through downtown Loveland." more...
Dayton to Eliminate 'Scary' Gap in Bike Trail
Dayton, OH - "Getting from downtown to the University of Dayton campus on a bicycle can be tricky..." more
$2.1M Bike Trail Project in MI
Muskegon, MI - "A $2.1 million project to connect non-motorized trails around West Michigan is in full swing with better weather conditions and is scheduled to be completed by spring of 2018." more...
Take a Virtual Ride on a Contra-Flow Greenway
Chicago, IL - "...The new $65,000 bikeway, which is largely completed, runs on Glenwood from Brywn Mawr to Carmen in the Edgewater neighborhood, providing a safe north-south alternative to busy Clark and Broadway..." more
DIY Plungers Keep Cars From Clogging Bike Lane
RI - "...advocates in Providence have taken a page from Wichita, Kansas, by installing plungers to unclog a bike lane - leading city officials to come up with a permanent fix." more...
- CT: New Milford Greenway to get state designation
- ND: Man brandished knife near Grand Forks Greenway
- UK: Police investigating hammer attack robbery on Spen Valley Greenway
- MA: City Won't Fix Design & Construction Faults of North End Cycle Track
- FL: Suncoast bike trail in Pasco to reopen
- SD: What were they thinking?
- MI: Advocates give Kalamazoo roundabout design 'D+'
- PA: New Law Makes Sidewalk Traveling Easier During Construction
- CA: Driver arrested at gunpoint after hitting bicyclist, running
- CO: Proposals would make it easier - and safer - to walk, bike and drive to light rail stations
County, Villages Agree on NCIT Extension Effort
Elmore, OH - "Ottawa County, Elmore and Genoa each entered into agreement Thursday as they continue to move forward on efforts to extend bike paths between the two villages, connecting the North Coast Inland Trail from Lucas to Sandusky County." more...
Bike Safety Program in Marietta
Marietta, OH - "May is Ohio Bike Helmet Safety Month and the City of Marietta Health Department is partnering with the state to educate children and their parents about the importance of riding safely." more...
Trail Office Vandalized
West Newton, PA - "Glass in a window and door were broken and a bicycle intended as a raffle prize was damaged late Tuesday or early Wednesday..." more
NYC Seeks the 'Holy Grail' of Street Design
NYC - "Why do some intersections have such high pedestrian injury rates? It's not all about the number of cars." more...
Bikes Share for People with Disabilities
"...Next month, Portland plans to start offering speciality bicycles branded to match the rest of its Biketown bike-share system..." more
Physically Separated Bike lanes are Crucial for Safety
"...The two researchers had already shown that more bike lanes mean more cyclists and that bikes keep you skinny, but now demonstrate that cycle tracks keep you alive..." more
- SC: Work on greenway, river access near zoo to begin
- NJ: Essex-Hudson Greenway - Connecting Communities,
- NC: WP Council Opposes Connection to Greenway
- CAN: RDCO closes majority of Mission Greenway
- MN: Greenways coming together in Dakota County
- KY: Local group's trail town bid hits a snag
- CO: Eagle approves Abrams Creek connector bike and pedestrian trail
- CAN: Edmonton Traffic Safety PSAs Blame Jaywalkers
- NC: Charlotte's new Vision Zero goal: lower traffic deaths
- WA: Seattle's top bike commuting workplaces are all within 5 blocks of a protected bike lane or trail
Dayton has 180-Days to Make 'High Line' Deal
Dayton, OH - "A federal board has given the city of Dayton 180 days to try to negotiate a deal to purchase or lease 6.5 miles of rail track it wants to convert into a 'high line' trail overlooking the urban center." more...
Bike-Friendly Communities Announced
"Today, the League of American Bicyclists recognized 37 communities with Bicycle Friendly Community awards out of 50 applicants. This round saw six communities move up from an Honorable Mention to Bronze, nine communities receive a Bronze award on their first application, and 22 communities renewing as BFCs, including five that moved from a Bronze to a Silver award." more...
Driver Jailed for Ramming Cyclist
UK - "Justine Henshaw-Bryan, 25, used 'car as a weapon' after Damien Doughty confronted her about using phone while driving." more...
The Prioritization of Order over Safety
NYC - "...Watching police officers respond to the deaths of people on bikes by ticketing people on bikes is frustrating beyond belief, but it's nothing new..." more
3 Revolutions of Transport Coming
"...The three revolutions happening all at once are the move to electric vehicles, automation, and sharing." more...
Bike-Friendly Streets Even Better for People Who Don't Ride
"From London to San Francisco to Toronto, bike lanes are fought every inch of the way by drivers and the politicians voted into power by drivers..." more
- NC: Expanding Wake Greenways Costs $1 Million Per Mile
- CT: Plans To Connect Plainville Gap
- MO: Board Views Plans for New City Bike Trail
- OR: Oregon's Transport Funding Deal Might Make Bikes More Expensive
- MA: Fatal Pedestrian Crashes Up In Boston
- NH: Call to end Portsmouth's parking lot 'wasteland''
- WA: Bike Share Could Return to Seattle Sooner Than You Thought
- NC: Charlotte's new Vision Zero goal: lower traffic deaths
- IN: The Indy Cultural Trail helped bike riding surge in the Crossroads of America
Here's How We've Been Using UH Bikes
Cleveland, OH - "Alex Baca knows one thing about Clevelanders. When it gets nice, they go outside..." more
Bike Month Discount at Akron Zoo
Akron, OH - " The Akron Zoo will be celebrating National Bike Month in May with 50 percent off admission for anyone who rides their bicycle to the zoo from May 15-31 and uses the zoo's new bike shelter that opened late last year." more...
2 New Hiking Trails Open in Hocking Hills State Park
Logan, OH - "...Folks traveling to Hocking Hills State Park can now hike on a revitalized trail to the second-largest cave in Ohio, along with witnessing spectacular views." more...
Students on Bikes Jam Rt. 513
NJ - "Nearly two dozen Voorhees High School students caused an early morning traffic jam on Route 513 on Friday, April 28, and will now have to face the consequences with detention and court appearances, according to police." more...
Man Posts Sign Telling Drivers Not to Stop for Bikes/Peds
VA - "A Northern Virginia man is sparking outrage among many cyclists and pedestrians after he set out homemade road signs telling drivers not to stop for them." more...
Suspected Greenway Killer 'Had a Thirst to Kill'
Knoxville, TN - "Opening statements were given Monday in the murder trial of 26-year-old Timothy Dwayne Ison, who is accused of fatally stabbing a woman on the Third Creek Greenway in 2015." more...
Denver's Commuting Corridors no Longer just for Cars
CO - "Transportation planners say changes could increase capacity by making transit, biking more attractive." more...
Froome Victim of Hit-and-Run
France - "The three-time Tour de France champion is luckily okay after being hit by an aggressive motorist while riding - but his bike, not so much." more...
4 Ways Slower Driving Creates Better Cities
"Traffic crashes kill 1.25 million people every year and cause permanent disability to millions more. No matter the location, speed is frequently a factor." more...
- CO: Woman killed by lightning strike while trail riding her horse
- UK: Assault and Robbery on Spen Valley Greenway
- FL: Proposed bike path would run length of Fort Myers Beach
- PA: Getting balance on bike lanes
- CO: E-bikes could gain access to Steamboat's Core Trail this month
- NY: Schenectady hotel first to gain bike-friendly designation
- MA: App lets you change the colors of the Greenway light blades
- NY: New trail designed to solve drainage problem
- NY: 'Bike Friendly' program launched for Erie Canalway Trail
- GA: Road diet test pilot
- NYC: City Council Passes Bill to Expand Pedâ€™ Right of Way
- MO: Drastic rise in road fatalities
- NV: Vegas bike share passes 10,000 rides
- D.C.: Traffic Circle Gets One-Week Makeover to Test Out Traffic Calming
- CT: Downtown Hartford Marries Parking Meter Reform With Car-Free Streets
- NYC: Who's Choosing Bike Share Over the Bus?
- OR: Rock slide on Rowena Curves closes Historic Highway for up to 3 weeks
- WA: Ballard Bridge remains a danger
- MD: Early parole rejected for former Bishop Heather Cook
MTB Trail Construction Continues
Cannonsburg, KY - "...The bike trail is part of the group's overall goal for Cannonsburg to be an official Kentucky Trail Town..." more
Chester County Commissioners Endorse Circuit Trails
PA - "...Chester County is the first of the nine counties in the region to formally endorse the initiative, spearheaded by the Bicycle Coalition of Greater Philadelphia. This action helps to support the Coalition's short term goal of 500 miles of trails by 2025." more...
The Case for Bikes Inevitable Triumph over Cars
"That's the conclusion of Horace Dediu, a prominent analyst of disruptive technologies, who has spent the past three and a half years researching the future of transportation." more...
- MO: Bridges being built over Highways 94, 364 aren't for cars
- NZ: Redwoods track vandal causes disruption and danger to mountainbikers
Towpath Section Closure May 9 & 10
CVNP, OH - From the CVNP, "...The Towpath Trail south of Highland/Vaughn Road will be closed Tuesday and Wednesday, May 9 & 10 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. No detour will be posted. We apologize for any inconvenience, but this allows us to repair flood damage, the result of all this rain."
New MTB Trail at Oak Openings Metropark
Area Trails Reopening after Wildfires
NC - "It's been six months since a wildfire ripped through thousands of acres of South Mountains State Park." more...
ExploreAFoot Offers Local Bike or Hike Adventures
Akron, OH - "...One of two Akron winners in Knight's 2016 Cities Challenge, ExploreAFoot was awarded $70,000 to create a program that helps people more easily explore the Cuyahoga Valley National Park and surrounding parks." more...
Candidate Makes No Apologies For Confrontation With Bicyclist
Pittsburgh, PA - "A confrontation between a Pittsburgh City Councilwoman, who is also a mayoral candidate, and a bicyclist over the city's controversial bike lanes was caught on video." more...
Should NYC Have a Bicycle Mayor?
E-Bikes in Portland
OR - "E-bikes are everywhere in Portland..." more
Cyclist Struck from Behind, Sued by Driver
"...Nakatsuka contacted the driver's insurance company about her medical bills - she'd suffered a concussion, severe bruising, and permanent damage to her glutes - she discovered the LAPD had never filed a report..." more
- IN: High water closes Mill Race Park and trails
- MN: Bridge demolitions on Midtown Greenway
- CA: Grant to pay for bike trail planning across Hi-Desert
- DE: DelDOT turns to crowdsourcing to find best bike routes
- MO: Bicycle, canoe and paddleboard sharing begins at Legacy Park
- WA: Why Seattle will never be a walkable city
- CA: Activists Growing Impatient With San Diego's Bike Program
- KS: New downtown bike-share program launches
- CA: Should cyclists be allowed to roll through stop signs?
- AK: Thieves Steal All-Girl Mentor Program's Bikes - But Community Comes Through
Ohio Celebrates a Safer National Bike Month
Columbus, OH - "Ohio Bicycle Federation (OBF) is celebrating a very special National Bike Month. After spearheading a seven-year effort, the only statewide advocacy organization representing bicyclists since 1980 finally welcomes a law requiring Ohio motorists to give bicyclists at least three feet..." more
UH Bikes Expanding in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "Cuyahoga County residents have embraced bike sharing, and UH Bikes is expanding this summer, officials said." more...
Local Organizers Hoping Bike Month Garners New Riders
Cincinnati, OH - "...Starting last weekend, advocates, riding groups and local businesses have roughly 50 events planned across the region through early June." more...
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Newport's DIY Skate Park
KY - "How a ragtag group of sk8er boys turned a concrete pad under an interstate into a skatepark, won over Newport's mayor, and built a community in the process." more...
Adventure Cycling Bike Bits
Read the May edition.
- OR: Hiker dies after fall from trail in Columbia Gorge
- SC: Improvements to come to the West Ashley Greenway
- OR: Jackson County Sheriff's Office Begins More Greenway Safety Measures
- NC: Cross Charlotte Bike Trail opens first segment
- CA: Bike trails will unite Basin communities
- CA: At Long Last, Berkeley Gets an Updated Bike Plan
- OR: Portland loosens rules for carfree block parties
- WI: Langlade Area Mountain Bike Association, Antigo Swim Club join to create new trail system
The RoboCop of Twin Cities Cycling
MN - "Ward Rubrecht is not your typical cyclist. Armed with two cameras, an air horn, baton and a mirrored face-shield, his cycling kit is more akin to that of an extra in a Neill Blomkamp film, than that of a daily commuter..." more
Test Riding a Stationless Bike Share Bike
Seattle, WA - "I took a ride on what could be one of Seattle's next bike share bikes and made it up one of downtown's steepest hills." more...
Truckee River Floods Bike Path
CA - "...water traveling out of Lake Tahoe and down the Truckee River has flooded parts of the bike and pedestrian trail along California Route 89." more...
Fire Burns along Santa Ana River Trail
"A fire burned two to three acres of vegetation Wednesday along the Santa Ana River bike trail in Colton. more...
100-MIle Trail Connects Croatia to Bosnia & Herzegovina
Concord, CA - "Biking enthusiasts looking to explore cities in the nations of Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina can now do so on the Ciro trail." more...
Why Bike Share & Open Streets Should Partner Up
"Bike share staff and partners are always seeking new methods of drawing in diverse members, and open streets events are a big opportunity for bike share to make a splash." more...
- IL: It Won't Be Long Until the Glenwood Greenway Is Ready to Ride
- NY: Yonkers rail trail for biking and walking awarded $3.3 million
- NC: Trail offers a new way to get across Charlotte
- CA: Man found dead on Concord bike trail identified
- MN: Man Leads Police On Pursuit On Gravel Roads, Bike Trail
- WI: AAA now offering roadside bicycle assistance
- NH: Bike sharing program gets OK from Manchester aldermen
- CT: Bikeshare Ok'd To Roll Into Town
- WI: How to Make a Pedestrian Friendly City
- OR: Cycle-track on SW Terwilliger at Capitol Highway
- AK: Cycling program bikes stolen
New Design for Wasson Way Trail Unveiled
Cincinnati, OH - "...The images show a path lined with trees, plants, grass and benches that is bifurcated in one part between a paved path for fast users and a gravel path for slower ones." more...
Dayton Lands International Trails Symposium
Dayton, OH - "...'The symposium is really what American Trails would say is a premier event for trail managers, trail governors, industry leaders, planners, designers, and enthusiasts worldwide, to come together to communicate and experience an inspirational and educational conference,' Dingle says. 'It really puts Dayton on the map, on a worldwide platform.'" more...
Google Street View Coming to Hamilton County Parks
OH - "Hikers will soon be able to preview Hamilton County park trails online. Google is planning to photograph the trails much like it does with roads with the Street View function." more...
New Restrictions Sought for Peds
Lexington, KY - "...If okayed in its current form, the ordinance would also stiffen existing penalties. For instance, those found standing on the road or on medians in specified areas could run the risk of a $100 fine if observed by police." more...
Judge Apologizes To Driver Who Fatally Struck Cyclist
NY - "A Department of Motor Vehicles judge read from an erroneous police report and apologized to a driver, who fatally struck a cyclist, during a recent hearing." more...
Cities That are Replacing Bad Infra with the Best
"In car-dependent Dallas, parking lots are ubiquitous downtown. But one lot will soon be de-paved and turned into a park..." more
- UK: Greenway takes praise as one of the best in the country
- IN: $4 million for new, historic bridges
- IL: Batavia explores rerouting bike trail section
- IA: Auto club to now offer bicycle break-down service
- IN: Bike Trails Flooded
- TX: Houston sidewalks aren't improving fast enough
- OR: Portland preps Biketown expansion plans
- CA: Laguna Beach police focus on zero traffic deaths
- CA: Traffic Safety Advocates Form Human Chain To Protect Tenderloin Bike Lane
Bikepath Mystery Solved
Athens, OH - "...County officials have been puzzled for quite some time over a plaque that mysteriously appeared on [the Hockhocking Bikeway] fence a few years ago. It reads: 'Here marks the crash landing site of Don Huling. May he rest in peace.'" more...
Pittsburgh Won't Install Bike Lanes on Fort Pitt Blvd.
PA - "Pittsburgh has decided not to install bike lanes on Fort Pitt Boulevard and will take a step back while it reviews how to coordinate the connection between the Great Allegheny Passage trail and Point State Park with other Downtown transportation projects." more...
50% Increase in Bicycle 'Dooring' Crashes
IL - "...In 2015, 302 bicyclists were "doored," according to data released by the Illinois Department of Transportation..." more
Who's Tops in Bikeways?
"It's a tight race between Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver." more...
Cycling Trail in Canadian Rockies is a Brilliant Idea
CAN - "A proposed trail linking Banff and Jasper is being criticized for potential environmental damage. Never mind the thousands of cars that travel the same route each day." more...
Flo System Helps Cyclists Catch Green Lights
Introducing Bike Walk Action
"...Bike Walk Action is a new coalition of bicycling and walking advocacy organizations focused on influencing federal policy and bringing local voices to members of Congress..." more
- SC: Major improvements for West Ashley Greenway and Bikeway
- NC: Dead, sick ducks found along greenway
- SD: Greenway cleanup nets 4,500 pounds of trash
- CO: County aims to add glitter to the Crown mountain bike trail network
- CA: Dog Rescued from Natomas Bike Trail Storm Drain
- MO: Connecting bike trails a possibility
- CA: What Will It Take for Sacramento to Make Walking Safer?
- NY: 'Textalyzers' being considered in New York to fight distracted drivers
- NY: Bike-share program coming to Utica
- OR: Eugene Bike Share will launch this fall
- MN: Dakota County's Riverfront Park And River Greenway: Grand Opening
Protest for Peds in Milwaukee
WI - "A coalition of groups staged a demonstration Wednesday raising awareness for pedestrian safety at the intersection of 35th and Mitchell, where 62-year-old Israel Soto-Colon was killed little more than a week ago." more...
Bike Share Coming to Columbia
SC - "...The first phase of the bike share likely would put 135 bikes at 15 stations around the downtown core..." more
- NY: Plans for 34-mile Adirondack bike trail
- CO: Mountain bike club hits trail to help youth
- ND: Path forward in filling sidewalk gaps isn't always clear
- AK: Anchorage cyclist struck in crosswalk underscores road safety importance
How 1 Bike Share Ride Cost ~$60,000
"This Chinese commuter racked up a ridiculous fee for using a shared bike in Zhejiang." more...
A Look at Chicago's Trail Separation Project
IL - "...This afternoon I took a spin to the South Side to check out the in-progress trail separation project between 31st and 41st, which broke ground last August and is almost done..." more
How to Make Roads Safer for Cyclists
"Eleven experts weigh in with their biggest, craziest ideas - all of which are eminently doable." more...
Filtering Dirty Air Riding a Bike
"Dutch artist Daan Roosegaarde imagines a smog-clearing bike as a solution to China's dual problems of road congestion and poor air quality..." more
- NE: Donations bring trees to new park
- OR: The Willamette Greenway and how it came to be
- CAN: Caution the word for Pandora bike lanes
- MA: Bike Path Construction Slated for November 2018
- NY: Westchester's cyclists concerned over bike path holes
- FL: Expensive bike returned by suspect to Sunrise store
The Aftermath of Philly's Teen Bicycle Freeway Takeover
PA - "...Earlier this week, police said there were no injuries or arrests related to the unsanctioned bike ride. Yet on Thursday morning, state police arrested an unnamed teenager for organizing the ride and charged him with disorderly conduct." more...
Lake Monroe Trail Loop Controversy
Sanford, FL - "...Residents tell FOX35 they don't want this bike trail because it would be too close to their homes..." more
The $18M Bike Path that Won't Let Locals in
AUS - "An $18 million bike path running along river frontage in Ivanhoe, Alphington and Kew... is to be completely inaccessible by the main suburb it passes through." more...
Chad Young Succumbs to Injuries
"...Young's death comes just a week after Michele Scarponi was killed during a training ride near his home in Italy." more...
- NY: $3.5M Grant For Greenway Linking Westchester To Manhattan
- NJ: Cyclists will benefit from trail improvements
- MN: Three Rivers hopes 'on ramps' will improve connection to regional trails
- FL: Tampa Residents Look for Alternatives to State DOT's Highway Plan
- OR: PBOT's new - more secure - staple racks are finally hitting the streets
- WA: Seattle could become the center of private bike share innovation
- TX: Husband to honor late wife just weeks after deadly crash
- AZ: Scottsdale SUV Driver Who Killed Bicyclist Pays $420 Fine
Summer Plans for the Purple People Bridge
Newport, KY - "Exciting plans for the Purple People Bridge this summer include a fresh coat of paint, food and ice cream vendors..." more
Greenway Plan could Depend on Yonkers
NY - "...'The riverfront greenway is not a priority for them,' said Bob Bender, chair of Community Board 8's Hudson River Greenway committee..." more
Greenway Dispute goes to Federal Board for Resolution
Roanoke, VA - "...On Friday, Norfolk Southern tried to abandon those tracks so the city could take over, but the foundry sent a letter, saying those tracks are not the railroad's to give." more...
Nearly $100B Spent Annually on Bikes in U.S.
"With great spending power comes great opportunity!" more...
- NC: National organization will help McDowell with greenway effort
- NC: Storms left a mess on Triangle greenways
- LA: Big progress reported on the Manchac Greenway
- IN: Public safety is top concern at bike trail public hearing
- CA: New bike trail is open in Nevada County
- IA: Mayor's Committee lays out first 7 on-street bike trails
- FL: Officers caught jaywalking after dept's jaywalking crackdown
- OR: 'Even Better Naito' returns to the waterfront
- WA: Awesome bike/walk bridges to Totem Lake
Body Found on Tecumseh Trail
New Carlisle, OH - "...New Carlisle Medics were dispatched to the bike path for 'a man down, not breathing with blood coming from his head'..." more
Detroit Bike Share Launches in May
MI - "In a warehouse in Detroit's Milwaukee Junction area, hundreds of bikes are being readied for their debut." more...
Man Fined $500 for Criticizing Red Light Cameras
OR - "...'Criticizing the government's engineering isn't a crime; it's a constitutional right,' said Sam Gedge, an attorney at the Institute for Justice..." more
U.S. Bicycling & Walking 2016 Benchmarking Report
"...For the first time, users have access to critical data online in order to explore the intersections between transportation, health, economics, equity, government funding and advocacy efforts." more...
A Gamechanger for Cycling in England
UK - "The government has said it can achieve its goal of doubling cycling, and is now legally bound to do so." more...
- NC: Morrisville breaks ground on crosstown greenway route
- CAN: Arbutus Greenway expected to increase business in Kerrisdale
- CAN: Bike trail tender withdrawn
- CAN: Victoria's first protected bike lane to open May 1
- KS: Walking, cycling trails advocated for Crawford County
- GA: Rockdale receives $100,000 trail grant
Bicyclist Hit by Driver on Cleveland Bridge
Cleveland, OH - "A 40-year-old man was struck by a vehicle while riding his bike on the Memorial Veterans Bridge..." more
The Potential of Irishtown Bend Park
Cleveland, OH - "...Irishtown Bend lies at a key central point amid regional trail systems now under construction or in planning, including the Towpath Trail, the Cleveland Foundation Centennial Lake Link Trail, and the proposed Red Line Greenway nearby." more...
Teens on Bikes Takeover Expressway
Philadelphia, PA - "A horde of young people disrupted traffic on a major Philadelphia highway this weekend." more...
Greenway Deal Halted for Now
Roanoke, VA - "Roanoke officials were mere hours from acquiring the last half-mile of land needed to complete the Roanoke River greenway Friday." more...
Nail-Studded Rope on Greenway Issue Resolved
ND - "...The story that was relayed was that there were kids down on the Greenway making a fort of some sort ... and in order to put up defenses against older intruders, they made themselves a defense line." more...
Human Remains Found in Oregon Trail Badger Hole
Boise, ID - "...investigators [are] trying to determine if they have discovered a double homicide or the disturbed grave of young 19th century pioneers who died going west on the nearby Oregon Trail..." more
Cyclist Tells People not to Ride the Trans Canada Trail
"With much of the trail following the shoulders of busy highways, Edmund Aunger says the trail is dangerous and should not be promoted as a tourist attraction." more...
- GA: Trail fever is spreading everywhere but here
- NYC: City Commits $100M to Narrowing a Gap in Manhattan Greenway
- UK: Final link of 'amazing' Connswater Community Greenway opens
- NY: 2 Bicyclists Hospitalized After Being Hit By Truck in Depew
- NY: New Bridge to Buffalo's Shoreline Means More Bike Trail, Better Views
- TX: Longview plans to interconnect bike trails
- FL: Seminole commissioners delay vote on trail for 'Lake Monroe Loop'
- MT: Jaywalking citation issued for man struck by SUV in Billings
- FL: Spray painted bike lane heralds big effort to stop traffic deaths
- NYC: Bike-Share as a Speculative Venture
- GA: Popular Support for Bike Lanes Is Precisely the Problem for Atlanta Columnist Bill Torpy
Nail-Studded Rope Hung over Grand Forks Trail
ND - "Grand Forks Police and Greenway managers are asking the public to be on alert after reports surfaced this weekend that a rope with nails driven through it was discovered hanging across a trail in south Grand Forks." more...
Cop Tickets Driver for Tailgating Cyclist
Bike Theft: The Unpunished Crime?
"...In Los Angeles and virtually every city in North America, bicycle theft has almost become a crime without consequence, so widespread that it is treated less as a problem and more like one of the costs of urban life..." more
Pro Rider Attacked on Training Ride
France - "Yoann Offredo was assaulted by box cutter and baseball bat wielding attackers during a training ride." more...
"Greenwave" LED Bikeway Lights
- IRE: Urban greenway crazy gradients could have been better
- GA: Commissioners want to be progressive with bike trail
- IL: Soon you'll be able to cycle from Troy to O'Fallon
- NV: Work on mountain bike trails begins
- GA: Decatur bike plan a way to stick it to nonresidents
- OR: Portland's bike-share program was called exclusive
- TX: Mammoth site, river, old railroads seen as key to future Waco trail system
Little Miami Trail Paving
Miamiville, OH - From Friends of the Little Miami State Park, "Repaving begins April 24, on the southern end (Camp Denison/Miamiville) section of the trail and will move north through Loveland over the next 2 weeks.
"The TRAIL WILL BE CLOSED TO ALL USERS in areas of active paving. Please look for alternate routes to avoid the rolling closures."
Holmes County Trail Construction
Holmes County, OH - "Construction work has begun on the Glenmont to Brinkhaven section of the Holmes County Trail.
Pittsburgh City Councilor in Verbal Altercation with Cyclist
Pittsburgh, PA - "Pittsburgh City Councilor Darlene Harris (D-North Side) is running for mayor, but her campaign hasn't produced many detailed plans on how she plans to improve the city. Instead, she's provided a critical, almost-laser-like focus on one issue: bike lanes." more...
Walkability a Goal for Bowling Green
KY - "...Through new greenways, sidewalks and multi-use paths, officials are working on making the city and county a place where feet are an increasingly popular mode of transportation." more...
"Science Says" 14-Year-Olds Shouldn't Cross the Street Alone
"...research from the University of Iowa that determined that children 'lack the perceptual judgment and motor skills to cross a busy road consistently without putting themselves in danger.'" more...
E-Bike Sales on the Rise in U.S.
"More people eager to get behind handlebars of motorized 2-wheelers." more...
- NC: Asheville's new greenway section opens next to New Belgium Brewery
- NC: Greenway plan halted at Jones School
- TX: New hike and bike trail in Cielo Vista neighborhood
- MN: Expanding trail system costing our parks, youth-serving agencies
- OR: Bicycle thief arrested on Back Cove Trail
- MT: Bike deal adds heartache, hope to wilderness proposal
- MA: Cyclists push for safe lanes around the Public Garden
- TX: Man on sidewalk killed by vehicle
- FL: St. Petersburg's sidewalks have safety flaws for pedestrians and cyclists
- CA: L.A. Debuts New Interactive Vision Zero Map
- PA: Work to begin on switchback ramp
New Towpath Section Breaks Ground
Little Miami Trail Newsletter
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Snowmobilers Continue Rail-Trail Expansion Efforts
Montpelier, VT - "...32 miles have been completed of what is becoming the 93-mile Lamoille Valley Rail Trail across northern Vermont between Swanton and St. Johnsbury. It is open to snowmobilers, cross-country skiers, bicyclists, horseback riders, runners and others." more...
Michele Scarponi Killed During Training Ride
"Cyclist Michele Scarponi, who was declared the winner of the 2011 Giro d'Italia after Alberto Contador was stripped of his title because of doping, was killed Saturday when he was hit by a van driver..." more
- VA: Leesburg Dedicates New Bike Path
- AUS: latest fury sparked over new plans for Beach Road bay trail
Gates Installed on Trail for 'Safety'
Van Wert, OH - "...Gorman, with the help of Van Wert Safety Service Director Jay Fleming and the City of Van Wert's Street Department, installed the barriers on Friday afternoon on both sides of the bike trail that crosses the highway." more...
[OB: Placing solid objects in the path of trail users is a known hazard. Learn more at the Federal Highway Administration Rec Trails page.
2 Fatalities as a result of bollard crashes (another form of a solid structure on a bike trail) have occurred in Richland County, OH. Learn more about the Trail Bollard Hazard.]
Groundbreaking set for Pedestrian Mall
Cuyahoga Falls, OH - "...Front Street will be converted to a curving, 25 mph pedestrian-friendly road with two-way traffic..." more
'Ball of Snakes' Photo Credit Fraud
Charlotte, NC - " The woman who claimed to have taken a photo of what appeared to be a snake mating ball while walking along a North Carolina greenway admitted she was sent the picture from a friend." more...
- NC: New stretch of Asheville greenway opens
- AZ: Mountain bike trail work in Payson park continues
- VA: New Va. bike, sidewalk projects
- TX: Primera looking to add sidewalks, trail
- NY: City gets funds for Greenbelt Trail Downtown Connector
Towpath Times Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Kalamazoo Crash Study Results
"The National Transportation Safety Board's first investigation into cycling safety in decades sheds light on the crash that killed five cyclists and injured four in Michigan last June." more...
NYC 4-Boro Protected Bike Lane Ride
The Riverfront Path That Tesla Built
OR - "...This new piece of path is just the latest domino to fall in the march toward completion of the Willamette/South Waterfront Greenway path..." more
Bold Proposal for New Bike Bridge
FL - "A new exhibit at the Coral Gables Museum is now on view, providing a deeper look into 'Plan Z for Miami,' a proposal to create a snaking elevated platform that would provide pedestrians and cyclists with safer passage from Miami to nearby Virginia Key and Key Biscayne." more...
Cycling to Work May Cut Your Risk of Premature Death
"Using your bike to get to work could cut your risk of developing cancer and heart disease by almost half."" more...
- TN: Bartlett Opening Greenway
- CO: Wayfinding sign project improves safety along the Greenway Trail
- ID: Group plans miles of trails to connect Hagerman Valley
- TX: The Lower Rio Grande Valley Active Plan
- RI: Providence Will Get a Bike-Walk Upgrade
- PA: Lackawanna County to explore downtown Scranton bike lanes
- IL: Backlash Against the Marshall Bike Lanes
- CA: LA Metro draws 130,000 rides, but still in race to make bike share goal
- TX: How to Ride in Alligator Country Without Becoming Lunch
More Details on New Towpath Section
Cleveland, OH - "...an undertaking that connects 100 miles of paths from New Philadelphia to Cleveland's lakefront - is one step closer to completion with the launch of the project's stage three." more...
Empire State Trail: Where Will it Go?
NY - "Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature have agreed to spend $200 million to create a 750-mile hiking and biking trail from Buffalo to Albany and from New York City to Canada." more...
$34.9B Added to U.S. Economy due to National Park Visits
San Francisco, CA - "Today, during National Park Week, U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke announced that 2016's record visitation of 331 million visitors at America's 417 National Park Service sites..." more
- NY: Sing Sing Kill Greenway Wins Award from Planners
- CA: San Leandro Creek getting some TLC
- MO: $13 million Grant's Trail expansion to begin this year
- AK: Another 6 to 8 miles of Hillside singletrack bike trails to be built
- IL: Congressmen celebrate history, impact of Route 66
- MA: Cape Cod Rail Trail bridge installed in South Dennis
- MA: Ashuwillticook Rail Trail Extension Opening
- TN: First Protected Downtown Bike Lane Completed
- GA: Atlanta's expanded bike share program
- D.C.: White House sidewalk to be closed to public permanently
- OR: Biketown back to full capacity after vandalism
- UK: British study finds commuting by bike can cut heart disease and cancer
Summit Parks Trail Safety Tips
Man ID'd In Deadly Mountain Bike Crash
Murrieta, CA - "Coroner's officials say the man suffered a neck injury during a tragic fall on a local bike trail." more...
10 U.S. Cities Pushing Biking Forward
"New infrastructure, better bikesharing, and safer streets." more...
How Smartphones can Help wth Road Design
"The combination of the gyroscope, GPS and accelerometer in all smartphones turns them into really powerful sensors." more...
- AZ: Bootmaker founder's wife, teen, missing in Grand Canyon
- MA: Boston Planners See a Greenway Where There's a High-Traffic Road
- GA: Northside to get its version of the BeltLine trail
- CT: Bike trail intersection with Rt. 111 to get stripes, lights
- WA: MTB trails in Dockton Forest will open this weekend
- CHN: Chinese bike-sharing start-up Ofo says it's now worth more than $2B
- OR: The Intertwine releases first version of 'Daycation' app
- UK: Bolt cutter thief filmed taking bike in Bristol
- CA: West County Trail and Forestville's downtown park inches towards completion and connection
Woman Finds "Ball of Snakes" Along Greenway
Charlotte, NC - "...Christine runs the same path on the Little Sugar Creek Greenway with her dog just about every day. What she saw Monday morning was so unbelievable she just had to snap a snake pic." more...
Cyclist Killed by Driver, So Cops Start Ticketing Cyclists
NYC - "...Witnesses said that she was pinned under the truck, a tire on her ribs..." more
NYPD cite cyclist error in a situation where the cyclist clearly had the right of way.
Greenway Slaying May Test Reason for Death Penalty
TN - "Knoxville's first greenway slaying may become the first statewide test case of the newest reason a killer can be put to death - randomness." more...
Trail Ridge Rd. Opened to Bikes & Peds
CO - "Rocky Mountain National Park has opened its spectacular Trail Ridge Road to cyclists and pedestrians for the next month or so." more...
Distracted Driving Study
"...Drivers use their phones during 88 out of 100 trips." more...
- NC: Mecklenburg County Parks working to make greenways safer
- NY: Proposed park bike trail splits residents, cyclists
- IA: Temporary Cedar Rapids bike route opens in Czech Village
- WA: Did Seattle's mandatory helmet law kill off its bike-share scheme?
- FL: Pedestrian killed when man loses control of vehicle, drives on sidewalk
- WI: Student killed in Park Street crash was walking on sidewalk
- TN: First Protected Downtown Bike Lane Completed
- OR: 1st distracted driving crash conviction in Marion County
- WA: Dog team searches Sol Duc area for missing hiker
Louisville Bike Share Coming
KY - "...Mayor Greg Fischer, acknowledging 'it's been a long time coming,' said Friday that the program will finally be put in operation soon after the Kentucky Derby." more...
"Dockless" Bike Shares Coming to U.S.
"...Dockless bike sharing is something that people worry about until they realize it's a benefit..." more...
Helping Danny Chew
Pittsburgh, PA - "Our brother, Pittsburgh native Danny Chew, was in a catastrophic bicycle accident on September 4, 2016. Danny suffered a T1-C7 spinal cord injury and is now paralyzed from his chest down." more...
- FL: Bicycle trail will soon wrap around Lake Monroe
- TX: City maps out sidewalks, trails seeking state funds
- CA: Jaywalking in Sacramento
- CO: Rolling Coal Bill
Website Launched for Upstate Cycling Enthusiasts
SC - "Cyclists finally have a one-stop resource to help them find mountains to climb, towns to visit and outdoor places to enjoy in the Upstate. more...
Park, Bike Trail Reopen after Pasco Fires
FL - "...The Suncoast Bike Trail from State Road 52 to State Road 54 and the trails going into Starkey Park are also open..." more
- IA: North Iowa communities take extra step to expand trails
- IA: Cyclists Lay Out Hopes for Next Legislative Session
Cave Country Trails seeks Connection to National Bike Route
KY - "A multi-county effort to connect various trails in the Barren River area is working to establish a network of pathways from Franklin to a bicycle trail that crosses the country." more...
- CT: Bike Share, Canal Trail Bumps Smoothed
- CT: Plainville Looks For Best Route To Close Gap In Bike Path
- MD: Advocates push for 35-mile trail loop in Baltimore
- GA: Forsyth fixes Greenway storm damage
- KY: Greenway would protect water quality, wildlife
- IN: Blackford's Greenway trail on course
- OR: Portland one step closer to a 20 mph speed limit
Flooded Trail Reopens
Niles, OH - "A 250-foot section of the Greenway Bike Path near Route 46 in Niles has reopened." more...
New Bay Village Master Plan
Bay Village, OH - "...the creation of bike paths and a town center that connects the city are just a few of the highlights from Bay Village's newly completed master plan." more...
10,000 Bike Helmets Donated to Children
OH - "Thousands of children across Ohio will receive free bicycle helmets in the coming weeks, as Bike Helmet Safety Awareness Month approaches." more...
NACTO Says No to "Rogue" Bike Shares
"...The new startups - including Bluegogo in San Francisco, Spin in Austin and the forthcoming LimeBike in the Bay Area - allow users to find and check out free-roaming bikes with a smartphone and leave them anywhere they want..." more...
Crossing a Street in FL or DE? Good Luck
"The two states hold the dubious distinction of the highest rate of pedestrian fatalities in the country, according to newly released data." more...
Blaming Traffic Violence Victims for "Drunk Walking"
"...the status quo approach to traffic safety is failing the most vulnerable people on our streets..." more
Oslo: The Journey to Car-Free
NOR - "In 2015, the newly elected city government of Oslo, Norway, announced its intention to make the downtown car-free by 2019. I immediately put it on my list of places to check out for Streetfilms. Last fall I made the trip, not knowing exactly what I'd find." more...
A Chat about London Bike Infrastructure
London, UK - "...Since Sadiq Khan has taken over, Gilligan has vocally criticised a complete stagnation of cycling infrastructure projects." more...
- CT: Route 67 in Seymour closes Monday for construction of greenway trail
- GA: Big Creek Greenway fully operational after storm damage
- MA: Take another look at rail trail proposal
- IN: New park is coming to Muncie
- NE: Funding agreement for trail tabled
- MA: New Option Floated For Rail Trail Extension
- IRE: Over 1,500 used Athlone greenway extension on one day
- WI: Heavy rains flood bike trail
- LA: Making New Orleans bike friendly
- OK: New Bike Lanes Open In Brady District
- HI: Honolulu building complex launches bikeshare program
- FL: Pasco County Wildfires: Starkey Park, Suncoast Bike Trail Closed
Trail Network Surpasses 340 Miles
Miami Valley, OH - "A new map, produced by the Miami Valley Regional Planning Commission (MVRPC), highlights the growing 10-county regional trail system that has officially surpassed 340 miles and is expected to continue to increase in length." more...
Driver Who Hit Cyclists Taken into Custody
Elyria, OH - "The road rage suspect accused of attempting to run over a bicyclist April 10 while driving in Elyria, has been arrested..." more
Here's a report on the assault.
Road Safety Culture Absent in U.S.
Bowling Green, OH - "...Studies show it takes 28 seconds 'to fully re-engage' with the driving environment after using a smart phone at an intersection..." more
Yay Bikes! Newsletter
Read the April edition.
Copenhagen's Fantastic & Stupid Bicycle Bridge
Denmark - "...If you need to put warning signs on a design, it is basically a crappy design. Period." more...
'Jaywalker' Brutalized by Police
Sacramento, CA - "...Sacramento PD's statement maintained that Cain was jaywalking, but it turns out that his only offense was walking while black..." more...
- CA: Greenway Trail Extension May Limit Residential Property Access
- TN: Bartlett will soon open a stretch of Fletcher Creek Greenway
- FL: Manatee County moves forward with greenway system
- TN: Work under way on section of Red River Trail
- PA: Dad wants kids' bike trail; county says no
- MI: Farmers raise concerns over proposed bike trail connector
- WI: Mountain Bike Group Wants To Expand Minocqua Trails
- ID: E-bikes pose no threat
- CA: Tesla Pays Employees To Bike To Work
- WA: Seattle's Pedal Anywhere keeps growing its on-demand bike rental business
MWCD Looking to Develop Master Plan for Trails
Perrysville, OH - "...Muskingum Watershed Conservancy District officials met with area recreational trail advocates, seeking ideas on trails within the parks or connecting to other trails, parks, communities and attractions." more...
Upgraded 'Fix it Cincy!' App
Cincinnati, OH - "...Now, service requests filed using the app go directly into the City's Customer Service Request (CSR) system." more...
Man Charged with Criminal Sexual Assault for Trail Attack
Chicago, IL - "A man accused of raping a woman on the Lakefront Bike Path Sunday night, April 9, appeared in Bond Court..." more
What to Do if You are Hit by a Car
"I was injured in a hit-and-run crash last year, and unlike so many others, the driver is being brought to justice..." more
How to Host a Pop-Up Traffic Calming Demo
"At the Strong Towns Summit in Tulsa, I was lucky to lead a group of enthusiastic Strong Town supporters through a quick traffic calming demonstration..." more
- NV: Transportation board approves $36M trail at Lake Tahoe
- IN: Old bridge near where Indiana teens killed being fenced off
- SD: Navigate the bike trail on your smartphone
- IN: Chesterton to break ground soon on bike trail
- VA: Grant approved for for multi-use trail in Williamsburg
- FL: Pasco Fires Close Road, Bike Trail
- AL: Mobile officials move forward on 'transformative' project
- NC: Burlington making progress on greenways, bikeways plan
- IN: Crown Point looks to be more bicycle, pedestrian friendly
- CA: Enforcing Safe Ped Access During Oakland's Construction Boom
- WA: Seattle's Transportation Transformation
- OR: Biketown faces ridership test ahead of summer season
- WA: Northlake Way is getting a short section of new sidewalk, bike lane
Trail Bridge Reopens
Massillon, OH - "I was on the Sippo Valley Trail early this morning (April.10) and found the bridge open again. Some work has been done (rocks placed where erosion washed away) and plywood placed so we can walk or ride across again... Stark Parks has a great turnaround time for repairs."
Submitted by Sharon Cole
Fake Speed Limits in Whitehouse
Whitehouse, OH - "...The posted 35-mph limit, however, is fake and contrary to state law, which sets a 50-mph limit for that part of Waterville Street because it's part of State Rt. 64..." more
Used Needles along Midtown Greenway Trail
Minneapolis, MN - "Used condoms, feces, and needles--those are the top three objects Rand Ratterath regularly finds along a five-and-a-half mile stretch of the Midtown Greenway trail." more...
Creative Village puts Cars Last
FL - "...The development just west of downtown would trade off 20 percent of planned traditional parking spaces for those accommodating bikes, electric vehicles and scooters..." more
More U.S. Cities Embracing Vision Zero
"Nobody knows the ins and outs of a neighborhood better than the people who live there..." more
- CA: Petaluma-Sebastopol bike path takes shape
- OR: Hopes and concerns for Forest Park loom over off-road cycling plan
- WA: Cross-state bike path would be a boon
- WA: Centennial Trail draws thousands of users
- NYC: Citi Bike rivals eye NYC expansions
- IL: Black bike advocates say they'll fight CPD's biased ticketing practices
Sippo Valley Trail Bridge Closed
Massillon, OH - "Heavy erosion has closed the bridge between Skyland and Route 93 (Manchester Rd.). When I drove by Thursday the trail was closed to traffic."
Submitted by Sharon Cole
Volunteers Maintain Red Line Corridor
Cleveland, OH - "...Their goal is creation of the Red Line Greenway, an ambitious linear park like New York City's 1.4-mile High Line Park." more...
Biking Cincy's Bridges
Covington, KY - "If you're trying to travel between Cincinnati and Covington by bicycle, you might find your options leave something to be desired..." more
State-Wide Trail Study in Indiana
IN - "...In the initial study, feedback was collected from trail users and adjacent property owners along six trails in Indiana. The new study expands to nine trails..." more
Draft Proposal for E-Bikes Released
Durango, CO - "...City law prohibits e-bikes, bicycles with motors, but they are growing in popularity and residents have requested the city change the rules..." more
Smart Traffic Lights
"...These smart lights reduce travel time by 25 percent, braking by 30 percent and idling by more than 40 percent." more...
- SC: How $5.6M will change Greenville's city parks
- TN: Greenways contribute to Nashville's livability
- TN: Man involved in creation of some of area's most beloved amenities
- VA: North-south bike trail will take greater buy-in and political will
- NE: Sharp curve has bike riders tumbling along Keystone Trail
- CA: Will bike share finally come to Sacramento?
- NC: transit expert says Charlotte should drop its focus on cars
- NE: New sidewalk rules called 'property rights issue'
Cyclists Respond to New Trail Possibility
Dayton, OH - "It's in the very preliminary stages, but the city of Dayton is looking to add another bike trail in the city that would connect with other trails in the area, as well as the city of Kettering." more...
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Bike Helmets Required for Riders under 15
Columbia, MO - "...In Columbia, any rider under 15 years old is required to wear a helmet while riding their bike. Failure to do so could lead to a $5 to $25 fine and the rider could even have their bike impounded." more...
Western Reserve Greenway Receives Funding
Building Restoration to Include New Bike Shop
Middletown, OH - "...The Montgomerys are proposing to redevelop the three-story building into a retail bicycle shop on the ground level to be called Spoken Bicycles LLC..." more
City Engineers Using Bikes to Survey Roads
Columbus, OH - "...What these engineers can detect from the seat of a bike is far more advantageous than anything they learn behind a desk or traveling by in a car." more...
Bike Boxes Coming to Ohio
OH - "What is a Bicycle Box?" more...
Body Found Along Bike Trail
Kalamazoo, MI - "A 44-year-old Kalamazoo man was found dead Friday morning along the Kalamazoo Valley River Trail bike path, according to Kalamazoo Public Safety officers." more...
Residents Want E-Bikes on Public Trails
Boise, ID - "...the laws governing where these bikes can operate in Idaho are hazy, and legislative efforts to clarify them failed to move forward this year..." more
- AZ: Woman, 88, killed while crossing Greenway Road in Phoenix
- NY: Grand Island gets grant for Scenic Woods trail
- IRE: Garrycastle to Whitegates National Cycle Network in Athlone opens
- WA: Tiger Mountain's Predator Trail one of the best in US
Bike Trail Flooded in Trumbull County
Niles, OH - "... the trail is closed between State Route 46 and Rupple Road, just north of Salt Springs Road. The whole trail is under water there." more...
Dayton Could get its Own 'High Line'
Dayton, OH - "The city of Dayton would like to transform an unused, elevated rail line that begins downtown and runs southeast into a bike trail..." more
Couple gets $4,600 in Fines During Bike Ride
NYC- "Cyclists claim they ran two red lights at most, but were ticketed for four." more...
Greenway within 5 Years of Filling Gaps
Roanoke, VA - "Within five years, the Roanoke Valley could have an uninterrupted greenway from just west of Salem to Explore Park - a distance of more than 25 miles." more...
Walkability Starts When Street Harassment Ends
"...Even now, street harassment is justified or explained away as harmless banter or 'compliments'..." more...
- IN: A win-win for the River Valley Trail
- IN: City approves $2.6 million in project funds
- NY: Pickleball and walking trails coming to town parks
- GA: County Commissioners have mixed opinions on greenway
- CA: New Metro employer bike-share discount could boost ridership
- UT: New mural provides bicycle-oriented perspective of Salt Lake City
- OR: Why we're pushing for safe routes to school for every kid in Oregon
- WA: SDOT shows off improved short-term bike plan
Cbus to Build $2M Bike & Ped Bridge
Columbus, OH - "The project, estimated to cost up to $2 million, would create a new pedestrian and bicycle bridge spanning across the Olentangy River to the western edge of West Nationwide Boulevard." more...
$84M for California Trails
CA - "The California Transportation Commission (CTC) recently announced the results of California's Active Transportation Program (ATP) Cycle 3 funding awards - and it's good news for trails in the amount of $84.1 million." more...
Bike Bits Vol. 19
Read the latest edition of Bike Bits from Adventure Cycling.
Bicycle Friendly Business Program
"Today, the League of American Bicyclists welcomes 59 new and renewing businesses to its Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB) program. There are now over 1,300 BFBs in 49 states and the District of Columbia." more...
Steve Tilford Dies in Car Crash
"Still competing at 57, the four-time US cyclocross national champion had also won multiple masters world championships." more...
- AL: Plans to build 12-mile multiuse trail move forward
- CAN: Minister should reject bike trail
- IL: Rental Bikes Are Back At Dan Ryan Woods And North Branch Bike Trail
- CO: Forest Service invites public to name new Buffalo Pass trail
- TN: New sidewalk requirements for Nashville builders advance in Metro Council
NCIT Construction Continues
Huron County, OH - "An ODOT project is currently underway that will connect Wakeman and Kipton with a new section of the North Coast Inland Trail.
"The new paved bikeway will be built within US 20 right of way from the Lorain County line to the edge of Wakeman, where it will enter Red Cap Park and end at State Route 60.
Submitted by Joshua Wyrick
CoGo Station Expansion
Columbus, OH - "The city of Bexley continues to explore the possibility of installing bike-rental stations as part of a joint effort with Columbus, Grandview Heights and Upper Arlington." more...
CVNP Lowering Speed Limits for Safety
CVNP, OH - "...The 20 mph reduction is an effort to make it safer for bicyclists, horseback riders and pedestrians who share the curvy and hilly roads with cars..." more
Greenway Policing Plan
Charlotte, NC - "...Police Chief Kerr Putney wants to create a new division solely dedicated to transportation, with officers responsible for greenways, light rail and the airport." more...
Greenway Assault Investigation Closed
Yakima, WA - "Yakima police have closed an investigation saying they have been unable to verify a woman's Facebook posting that she'd been assaulted during an attempted rape on the Yakima Greenway last month." more...
Why Shared Bike & Walking Path Could Ruin Beach
AUS - "A coastal ecology expert says vegetation would be lost and the Tennyson Dunes system left more vulnerable to being washed away in a storm, if a concrete bike and walking path goes ahead." more...
1 in 4 Drivers Using Phone Before Crashing
"...The company's research also found that significant phone distraction occurred on nearly one-third of trips..." more
- NY: Empire State bike trail would be benefit to all
- CAN: Region tests the wheels on a separated bike lane network
- GA: County spends $100K to fix Greenway damage
- OR: Vandals hit at least 11 Biketown stations, over 200 bikes
- TN: Memphis' Spectacular Street Experiments Moving Toward Permanence
Broadview Heights Area Trail Plans
Broadview Heights, OH - "...The Campus Loop Trail project - along with Cleveland Metroparks' $4.2 million plan to build 10-foot-wide paved all-purpose trails along the east-to-west Valley Parkway, just south of the City Hall campus - would expand and enhance the trail network in the Ohio 82 area." more...
Portage Park District Acquires 215 Acres
Ravenna, OH - "The Portage Park District just grew by 215 acres." more...
Tables Turning in Greenway Land Dispute
Roanoke, VA - "For a long time, it appeared that a foundry along the Roanoke River had the upper hand in the city's efforts to use some of it's land for a greenway extensions. Now it it looks like the other way around." more...
A Bike-Share Success Story in Bed-Stuy
NYC - "Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration set out to show how bike-share can help neighborhood residents, and it's making an impact." more...
The Principles Behind Vision Zero
Carmaggedon Stalks Atlanta
"Why predicted gridlock almost never happens and what this teaches us about travel demand." more...
- IN: Will St. Joseph County give $225,000 for trail to Niles?
- FL: Gordon River Greenway expansion begins
- LA: Residents recommend proposed bicycle share station locations
- IL: Federal Money For Bike Paths
- FL: Make trail trip safer for cyclists
- FL: Tallahassee bicyclist in critical condition after Saturday morning crash
- DE: State legislators seek to change Rehoboth trail extension
- PA: Unauthorized benches pop up along bike trail
- MI: The future of Michigan Avenue, our state's most important road
- OR: First look at County's new bike path
- CA: Smooth sailing in Richmond
- WA: West Seattle commuter cyclist escapes attacker on path
- NLD: Dutch Cyclists Feel the Squeeze
- OR: Bait bike lures thieves - and protests
Cycling on the Rise in Honolulu
HI - "...the Hawaii Bicycling League said Hawaii actually ranks 10th in the nation when it comes to bicycling in the city." more...
The Real Cause for the Rise in Ped Deaths
"...We know street design is part of this problem because there are patterns to where fatal collisions occur..." more
Are Stationless Bike Shares the Next Step?
"A new wave of dockless bike-share startups want to revolutionize cycling..." more
Elevated Cycling Freeway for Melbourne's Commuters
AUS - "An elevated cycling freeway will be built above Footscray Road, transporting cyclists faster into Melbourne's CBD." more...
- NE: Norfolk Receives Grant to Extend Levee Trail
- MO: Is Joplin a natural next step for popular greenway?
- WA: Whitehorse Trail showing signs of rebirth after Oso mudslide
- CA: Cyclists tour Napa Valley roads to boost Vine Trail's completion
- D.C.: Mayor says reducing traffic fatalities is a regional issue
Greenway Proposed for Coal Run Hollow
Fairmont, WV - "A transformation of Coal Run Hollow to a family-friendly greenway was proposed during the city of Fairmont's economic development work session last week." more...
Today Show Blames Peds for Rise in Fatalities
"...The report's author concluded that increased use of smartphones is to blame for the uptick." more...
Advocates Back Expansion of Dedicated Bike Lanes
MA - "...In Massachusetts, more than 71,500 people commuted to work on bicycles in a 2010-2011 Massachusetts Travel Survey..." more
App Lets Companies Pay You to Bike to Work
"...We found that the two best motivators for people to even consider cycling to work are financial incentives and the social aspect..." more
Foot Trail Reconnects Big Sur after Devastating Storms
Big Sur, CA - "A foot trail has reconnected two parts of Big Sur that were divided after a recent bridge collapse." more...
- NC: CMPD enhances greenway patrols after attempted sex assault
- TX: Greenway provides more connectivity to Humble, Kingwood
- IL: Wood River Township's bike trail is close to becoming a reality
- WI: Wisconsin DOT: Hanson did not delay bike trail application
- MA: Build The Trail; Ditch The Tracks
- CAN: Prince George MTB Trails map
Be a Voice for Ohio Trails!
"The Ohio Legislative Trails Caucus is a way for state legislators to come together and talk about an issue that's important to you: trails - and how legislators can help communities like yours build, maintain and connect more trails across the state." more...
Jogger Attacked on South Charlotte Greenway
Charlotte, NC - "...a man jumped out of the woods and threatened her with a knife, police said." more...
Using Bikes to Build a Future on a Freeway's Footprint
Providence, RI - "...one of the country's oldest cities is about to learn what happens when you move a freeway out." more...
Spinning Our Wheels
Sacramento, CA - "Despite having one of the country's great biking paths along the American River, Sacramento is trailing the nation when it comes to safe urban cycling options..." more...
- MO: Miller Street bike lanes would connect greenways
- GA: Brookhaven approves $325K for Peachtree Creek Greenway design
- IA: Study Shows Economic Clout of Raccoon River Valley Bike Trail
- VT: New Callagy's Trail site will reduce Sterling Valley Road bike traffic
- AL: Rainsville City Council cuts the city's biking trail
- NJ: Shore town can build road on rail trail, court rules
- MN: Bikes Are Making Minnesota Awesome
- FL: Miami-Dade considers vision zero
- MT: Amendment to put a $25 fee on out-of-state bicycles
- FL: Florida's official culture of driving blames pedestrians
Ohio Bicycle Laws
Cleveland, OH - "A new bike passing law on Ohio roads fueled a lot of conversations locally about sharing the road." more...
Bike Aboard Season Opens April 1
Peninsula, OH - "...The service enables cyclists and hikers who use the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail to ride the train back to their beginning destination for $3. The ticket is valid for one, one-way trip per day. more...
A Road Diet Could Have Saved my Daughter's Life
Atlanta, GA - "...A road diet, converting the four-lane road to three with a center turn lane, improves visibility and discourages speeding, so that even if my daughter had been hit, she would have had a much better chance of walking away from the crash." more...
Ped Fatality Rates Highest in 2 Decades
D.C. - "Pedestrian deaths are climbing faster than motorist fatalities, reaching nearly 6,000 deaths last year..." more
Concerns with Icefields Parkway Bike Path
CAN - "It sounds like a no-brainer -- a bike trail alongside a world-famous scenic highway through two of Canada's best-loved national parks." more...
How U.S. Bike Planning Has Changed
"...Without a [statewide] plan, things don't get done..." more
Redesigning Main Street
"As someone who moves through town primarily on my own two feet I am constantly aware of how our public infrastructure is completely geared toward the automobile." more...
The Cars That Ate Paris
FRA - "...Paris is leading some of Europe's most aggressive efforts to fight back." more...
- SD: Bike Trail To Close Friday For Reconstruction
- MN: Erosion work will close section of bike trail in July
- IL: MetroBikeLink work might still be finished early
- OR: Portland launches 'PedPDX' to update citywide walking plan
- WA: Why everyone should try Pronto before it shuts down Friday
Skull Found Along Towpath
CVNP MTB Trail Construction Begins
Peninsula, OH - "Cuyahoga Valley National Park has begun construction of a 6.5 mile extension of the 2.3-mile section of the East Rim mountain bike trail..." more
Lanespotter Coming to Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "...LaneSpotter is just weeks away from having the first version of the platform complete. And, in partnership with Bike Cleveland, Cleveland will be a pilot city..." more
Cedar Road Paving Underway
Cleveland Heights, OH - "...the 'uphill' side of Cedar Glen Parkway will have a new multi-purpose fitness trail installed in what is expected to be the early stages of the project." more...
County Alters Swamp Creek Greenway Plan
Zieglerville, PA - "Montgomery County planners claim they've heard and learned from area residents who objected to a preliminary proposal..." more
Runner Attacks Cyclist
Golden, CO - "...When Andrew passed, he says he shook his head at the runner and the runner screamed expletives at him." more...
The cyclist has posted a detailed account of the incident here.
- WA: Yakima police investigating report of Greenway assault
- IN: Riverfront park, marina part of Greenway enhancement project
- LA: Bicycle-friendly beer garden on Lafitte Greenway
- VA: Property owners hoping for compromise in greenway plans
- CAN: Abandoned Kelowna rail line to become safe cycling route
- AUS: Brighton bike and walking path to be duplicated to cut risk of conflict
- WA: Seattle's Pronto bike share shutting down on Friday
- WA: Groups host hyperlocal Transportation Action Day
Mom Stops Destructive Road Widening Project
Toledo, OH - "Dana Dunbar was new to transportation policy and activism. But that didn't stop her from waging a successful grassroots campaign against a road widening in her neighborhood." more...
Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Montgomery County
OH - "On or about March 15, 2017, Norfolk Southern Railway Company filed for the abandonment of 6.5 miles of track in Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio..." more
Police Crack Down on E-Bikes
NYC - "The crackdown seems to be targeting deliverymen, and cops were parking in bike lanes in order to hand out the tickets." more...
E-Bike Use on the Rise
NZ - "...E-bikes not exceeding 300W have been permitted on the rail trail since a rule change in mid-2015." more...
Trail will Link NJ's 2 Largest Cities
Kearny, NJ - "...Twenty percent of New Jersey's population lives within five miles of the proposed Meadowlands Connector, which will provide the first shared use path/multi-modal connection between Newark and Jersey City." more...
Girl's Attitudes about Bicycling Decline with Age
"...Given that women bike far less than men (at least in the US), and attitudes are a strong predictor of why people, particularly women, do not ride, I wanted to explore this further..." more
How Dangerous is Cycling?
"Statistically, cycling is much safer than prospective riders imagine, but it's what they imagine that matters..." more
- KY: Renderings of Town Branch Commons show trail, trees, bike paths
- MN: 5 Miles of Munger Trail to be Reconstructed
- MN: Cycling in Minnesota creates thousands of jobs
- WA: First section of new Arboretum Trail opens
- OR: Bike shop offers $500 reward for return of rare, stolen e-trike
Work Begins on Nord Family Greenway
Cleveland, OH - "The Cleveland Museum of Art and Case Western Reserve University have quietly begun creating the Nord Family Greenway, one of the biggest park and landscape projects in the city's recent history. more...
How Cleveland Could Benefit by Rethinking Parking
Cleveland, OH - "With transit holding steady and cycling surging, cities find themselves in an interesting position. They'd like to encourage more of this kind of 'mode shift' - but how? Inevitably, the stickiest of all wickets is parking." more...
Paying Commuters to Give Up Cars
"Would you change how you get to work for $10 a month? $50? How about $100?.." more
Silicon Valley Bike Vision Plan Is a Great Tool for Advocates
"A new report on the state of bicycling in Silicon Valley takes a unique regional view on what biking can do for cities, and especially the cities of the San Francisco peninsula." more...
Uber Suspends Tests After Self-Driving Car Crash
"...Another car failed to yield for the Uber car, causing the autonomous vehicle to flip on its side, according to the police report." more...
- CT: Farmington Canal trail project in New Haven set to move forward
- CA: Helping Caltrans create bike paths
- CO: Downhill mountain biking still on top in Snowmass plan
- CAN: Nanaimo boosts bike lanes for 2017
- NY: Proposed trail creating controversy
- LA: NOLA plans to double bike usage over the next three years
Railroad will Consider Trail Along Tracks
Ann Arbor, MI - "...The greenway trail that's envisioned along the historic alignment of the Allen Creek would run parallel to the railroad and would be separated from the train tracks by a physical buffer and fencing..." more
Students Spruce up Roaring Run Trail
PA - "A group of more than 80 students from Grove City College occupied the Roaring Run Watershed in Kiskiminetas Township on Saturday." more...
Woman Grabbed along Dark Bike Trail Section
Seattle, WA - "The street lights haven't worked for months under a section of the West Seattle Bridge, plunging a bike trail along Southwest Spokane Street into inky blackness." more...
Lines in the Dirt - Part 1
- CA: Redlands bike lanes getting boost from state grant
- CO: Breckenridge Town Council to vote on e-bike usage on trail system
- AR: Local Organization Works to Rebuild Multi-Use Trails
Blacklick Trail Detour
Columbus, OH - From Franklin County Metroparks, "Blacklick Trail under construction at Winchester Rd. Trail temporarily rerouted to cross Winchester Rd. at the light."
Trail Tunnel Closed Indefinitely
Powell, OH - "...The city in mid-February blocked off a multiuse path where it tunnels under the CSX railroad tracks just northwest of Adventure Park. The tunnel allows access to the park from west of the tracks and a path to Sawmill Parkway from east of the tracks." more...
Mill Pond and Mud Brook Greenway
Cuyahoga Falls, OH - "...A master plan created for the 2015 acquisition envisioned trails and light recreation, but studies have since indicated..." more
Submitted by Michael Musgrave
Groups Seek Scenic Train Depot
Akron, OH - "A business group is hoping to get a train depot built in Akron's Merriman Valley." more...
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
- IRE: Longest Greenway in Ireland to officially open Saturday
- TX: Dry ditch to see new life as walking, biking trail
- KY: Park City residents learn about Trail Town status
- MA: State Opposes Removal Of Train Tracks For Bike Path Extension
- MO: Rock Island Trail too rocky in some areas
- CA: Huntington Park approves plans for Rails to River Trail
Building the Largest Cycling Route in the World
"Ohio designated 313 miles of U.S. Bicycle Route 50 (USBR 50) in 2014 and signs went up along the route in the summer of 2016..." more
Cleveland Vigilante Changes Speed Limit Signs
Cleveland, OH - "...an unidentified man in a hard hat and a reflective vest was recently photographed while replacing 35 mph hour signs with 25 mph) signs." more...
Bob Shook Passes Away
Troy, OH - "...he was perhaps best known for his leadership in the completion of the Miami County bike trails..." more
Campaign to Eliminate 'Beg Buttons'
Seattle, WA - "A petition in Seattle is calling on the city to do away with 'beg buttons' and automatically give pedestrians a walk signal at every traffic light in its 'urban villages' -- areas that are walkable and transit-oriented." more...
Kids Required to Wear Bike Helmets
France - "Riders under 12 will be required to wear a helmet according to a new law that came into affect March 22 -- and the decision spawned plenty of support and opposition." more...
- CA: Cycling Your Way Through Santa Clarita Will Soon Be Even Easier
- IN: Summary judgment to city in mountain bike liability case
- IL: Bicyclists, Runners Will Be Split On Revamped Lakefront Path
- NC: Club provides police a bike to patrol trails
- AR: Region continues to pedal for trails
- DC: Companies are offering Capital Bikeshare as a perk to lure millennials
Dayton MTB Park Could Open by Summer
Dayton, OH - "The city of Dayton has selected a firm to design and construct a new mountain bike park at Welcome Park near UD Arena, and it could open in late summer or early fall." more...
Officials Want to Deport Murder Suspect
Raleigh, NC - "Federal immigration officials want to deport the Salvadoran 18-year-old charged with murdering a man whose body was found Sunday on a Raleigh greenway trail." more...
Could a Video Game Make Biking Safer for Kids?
"...for now the game's designer, University of Helsinki cognitive scientist Esko Lehtonen, says the game may be especially useful for kids, who aren't familiar with the rules of the road and still have developing brains..." more
- TX: Precinct 4 park will serve as anchor for Spring Creek Greenway
- NY: Advocates blindsided by plan to move Greenway
- ID: E-bikes make sense on bike path
- WA: Do arguments against the Burke-Gilman Trail gap hold up?
- CA: Bike-Share Plans Irk Oakland Disabilities Commissioners
- OR: No estimate for re-opening of Lafayette Street bridge elevator
- WA: People get organized to restore bike lanes cut from BRT project
Police Searching for Hit-n-Run Driver
Columbus, OH - "...Police says the bicyclist was struck while riding on the sidewalk and then dragged out into the roadway..." more
Drivers Passing Within 3 Feet of a Cyclist are Breaking the Law
Columbus, OH - "A new bicycle law requires motorists to make room when passing bicyclist traveling along the road in the same direction." more...
Council Says No to Road Widening
Toledo, OH - "...The long-debated proposal to widen the street between West Bancroft Street and Markway Road ended today when Ottawa Hills Village Council voted 4-2 not to move forward with the project." more...
Teen Charged in Greenway Murder
Raileigh, NC - "...Jose Humberto Lara-Pineda is charged with murdering Fredys Odilo Del Cid Ramos, 28, who died of an apparent strangulation..." more
2nd Child Dies After Car Plows into Peds
Phoenix, AZ - "A second child has died after being struck by a vehicle that hopped a sidewalk and plowed into a crowd of pedestrians Sunday in Phoenix, officials said." more...
Bike Share is Changing U.S. Cities
"Ten years ago, bike share was a novelty in the U.S., with a few thousand bikes in operation. Today, there are 55 systems spread across across the country, with over 42,000 bikes available in cities of all sizes..." more
Trail Crash Victim Calls for Safety Upgrades
AUS - "A cyclist thrown from his bike in a head-on crash with another rider on a 'blind corner' of the EastLink Trail is calling for safety upgrades along the path." more...
Are Women Really More Risk-Averse on Bikes?
"There's a widespread belief in the biking world that one reason to build comfortable bike infrastructure is that if streets are safer, more women will bike..." more
The Bike Helmet Debate
"...which has the bigger benefit: increased physical safety, or creating a better environment for people to cycle helmet-free?" more...
- GA: Atlanta's Memorial Drive Greenway finalized concept
- FL: Proposed greenway network through Manatee County
- ID: New trail could allow bikers, hikers to circumnavigate Payette Lake
- TX: Houston bike plan ready for approval but facing old concerns
- WI: 65-year-old bicyclist struck by SUV
- TX: Beal Parkway officially open to the public
- TN: Plans for 25-mile trail around Johnson City
- PA: Survey on AV safety
- CA: Silicon Valley Has a Plan for Building a 'Stress-Free' Bike Network
- GER: Putting the brakes on Bonn's bike bet
- OR: Burnside Bridge project plans put bicycle riders on sidewalk for 2 years
3-Feet Law Takes Effect Today
OH - "...The good part about it is it reinforces the bicyclist's right to be on the road. They belong there..." more
3 Things Cincy Cyclists Need
Cincinnati, OH - "...three things the Tri-State's bicycle community should work to make reality, now that the 3-foot law is here..." more
Thoughts on Proposed Bike Lanes
Athens, OH - "The proposed bike lanes on East State Street are a good idea exactly because of safety..." more
Gorge Dam Removal Moving Ahead
Akron, OH - "...The dam is the last in a chain of local dams stretching from Kent to Cuyahoga Falls that have been demolished over the past several years, greatly improving the water quality of the Cuyahoga River." more...
Debate over Burke-Gilman Trail Missing Link Heats Up
Seattle, WA - "What began as a quiet rally ended in a heated face off." more...
E-Bike Catches Fire in Newport Beach
CA - "An electric bike caught fire Sunday, shooting battery parts as it burned, authorities said." more...
Study says Bike-Friendly Streets are a Solid Investment
"...The study examined the 4.5 miles of bike lane that New York City built for about $8 million in 2015, and it found that the added lanes may increase the probability of riding bikes by about 9%..." more
Mobike Rides into Singapore
China - "A bicycle with airless tires, a solar panelled basket and a GPS tracker isn't your typical mode of transport." more...
Tax Cyclists for Road Upgrades?
WI - "I talk to a lot of state legislators. At least among majority Republicans, a question I often get is something along the lines of, 'why don't cyclists want to pay for their own bike lanes?'" more...
- WA: Yakima Greenway assessing damage after last week's flooding
- CT: Study shows economic vitality of multi-use trails
- CA: Miramar Marines to reopen Stowe Trail for bikes
The President's Budget: What Does it Mean for Biking?
"...The budget lays out a 13 percent cut to the DOT including a zeroing out of TIGER..." more
Body Found on Greenway
Raleigh, NC - "A dead man was found by bicyclists on the Capital Area Greenway in Raleigh on Sunday, police said." more...
Biking While Black
Chicago, IL - "As Chicago police ramp up their ticketing of bicyclists, more than twice as many citations are being written in African-American communities than in white or Latino areas, a Tribune review of police statistics has found." more...
In Beijing, Two Wheels Are Only a Smartphone Away
China - "...Cao Dachui kicked down its metal stand and locked the back wheel. Her half mile ride from a nearby subway station cost just 14 cents, and she could leave the bike anywhere." more...
- NY: Supporters of Empire State Trail to meet in Albany
- NZ: Twin Coast bike trail 'just the start'
- NC: Green Mill Run Greenway gets 110 new trees
Man Dead After Shooting on Bike Trail
Boise, ID - "...the man threatened trail users in the Hulls Gulch area and fatally shot a dog..." more
Cave Springs City Council Freezes Greenway Plans
AR - "The City Council on Tuesday unanimously froze Mayor Travis Lee's initiative to connect the city to the Razorback Greenway." more...
- CT: Charter Oak Greenway Nearing Completion
- CT: Greenway trail to be extended in Seymour, Ansonia
- SD: Bike Repair Stations Donated to Sioux Falls
- NC: County shows impressive progress on parks and preserves
Long-Awaited Riverfront Trail
KY - "A decade's worth of planning, intermittent construction and grant writing will pay off for Northern Kentucky's riverfront this summer..." more
Safety is Worth Transpo Fixes
Columbus, OH - "In reading several recent reports of traffic deaths in Columbus involving pedestrians and bicyclists, and the Dispatch March 9 editorial on new bicycle-safety rules, I see progress and also gross failure..." more
The Start of Bike Lane Backlash?
Seattle, WA - "...The Times then transitioned into a more broad discussion of traffic issues in Seattle and it didn't take long for bike lanes to become their target..." more
Driverless Car Fail: Passes Too Close to Cyclist
"'I was a little scared for him', says nervous passenger." more
The Wisdom of Engaging Nervous Cyclists
"It was clear to the City of Toronto that engaging less confident cyclists that make up 60% of the population, yet seldom come to community meetings, might be the key to dramatic mode shifts in the city. Here's how it happened." more...
Bosnia Repeals Cycling Helmet Law
"Bosnia and Herzegovina has become the first country in the world to repeal an all-ages cycle helmet compulsion law." more...
- IN: Construction starts on last portion of the Ohio River Greenway
- VA: First phase of Rocky Gap sidewalk project nears completion
- TX: Car careens across bike trail and into lake
- NY: New state trail plan prompts debate in Warren County
- AZ: Longtime cycling advocate wins leadership award
- UK: Sadiq Khan: Ban cars from roads near schools
- NC: Wake Forest cops want water donations to help them hydrate greenway users
Vulture's Knob GoFundMe Campaign
Wooster, OH - "... Beginning in the early 90's, this 126 acre parcel has consistently offered up technical single track challenges that have encouraged cyclists to push their abilities, physically and emotionally. Though considered a 'local' trail for many reading this, last year alone saw visiting riders from 20 states and 4 countries. Family focused, the Knob has seen two generations create memories in this special place." more...
Metroparks to Take Over most of Parmadale
Cleveland, OH - "...Ultimately, that will add nearly 80 acres to the Metroparks' 326-acre West Creek Reservation." more...
Fire Officials Block Street Safety Upgrades
San Francisco, CA - "...The Fire Department's concern is one walking and biking advocates are all too familiar with: fire trucks won't have enough street space to quickly respond to emergencies." more...
Busting the Myth of the 'Scofflaw Cyclist''
"...Researcher Wesley Marshall and his team surveyed 18,000 people online about their compliance with traffic laws when they are driving, biking, or walking..." more
Duluth Trails Promoted in Europe
MN - "...Minnesota is one of the most bike-friendly states in the country. Duluth has world-class mountain bike trails. We have a designation as a gold-level ride center from the International Mountain Bike Association. There are only five other cities in the world that have that designation..." more
Residents Upset over Rail Bike Tours
Olive, NY - "Residents of the Town of Olive are up in arms about Rail Explorers, the company whose contract with Ulster County will allow them to run tours of rail bikes down the Ulster & Delaware tracks..." more
REI Co-op Gives Back Nearly 70% of Profits to the Outdoor Community
Seattle, WA - "...REI CEO and President Jerry Stritzke talked about the co-op's sustainability work and its efforts to deliver inspiring outdoor experiences to local communities by creating access to the outdoors for all." more...
- GA: New bike trail will begin in Athens
- MI: Mountain biking group gets grant for Avalanche trail work
- CT: Construction on greenway trail in Seymour
- AR: Cave Springs City Council freezes greenway plans
- OR: Portland inks $750,000 Biketown sponsorship deal with Kaiser Permanente
Entities Collaborate on Sandusky Trail Project
Sandusky, OH - "...This collaborative conceptual design approach could take the Sandusky Bay Pathway to the next level by creating a hub for other amenities related to active transportation, like bird watching and paddle sports..." more
Jaywalking Crackdown Gives out $206 Ticket
AZ - "...I just think it's a poor use of public resources to have officers waiting to catch people doing this." more...
Cyclist Receives Settlement after Sidewalk Crash
"A California cyclist received a massive $4.85 million settlement this week in a personal injury lawsuit with the City of San Diego for its negligence in sidewalk upkeep - one of the largest settlements a cyclist has ever been paid by a US city." more...
Adventure Cycling Newsletter
Read the latest edition.
Cyclists Save Cardiac Patient on Trail
GA - "A North Georgia doctor and firefighter are among a group of cyclists credited with saving a man's life after they happened to see him collapse during a hike on Saturday." more...
LimeBike Raises $12M for BikeShare Without Kiosks
"A startup called LimeBike has raised $12 million in venture funding to make Chinese-style bike sharing mainstream in the U.S." more...
- NC: County eyes greenway extension
- MO: Gateway Arch renovation gets $2.8M for extra construction costs
- CAN: Public weighs in on Icefields Trail project
- CA: Brentwood to get Mokelumne Trail pedestrian overpass
- MD: Is Maryland Sacrificing Safety To Shorter Commute Times?
- CA: SF passes new laws to penalize bike-share companies
- ESP: Barcelona mayor declares war on "injustice" of private car use
- NYC: New Yorkers Are Riding Citi Bike to Transit
- OR: A 40-Mile Loop trail extension is dead
- WA: Neighbors submit 900 ideas for park and street improvements
Detour not Recommended for Towpath Closure
Valley View, OH - "...'Some people may choose to move onto Canal Road, but we don't recommend that,' Barnes said. 'It's really not safe, and we don't want people to be surprised by the closure and make a wrong choice.'" more...
Attempted Robbery on Trail
Eugene, OR - "...Residents in the area say they're shocked and concerned about the crime in their own back yard...." more
Woman Fabricated Trail Attack
MIlford, MA - "After a thorough investigation, it turns out that a woman who said she was assaulted while hiking on a trail in Milford made the whole story up." more...
MT Senate Kills Cyclist Bill
MT - "...President of the Senate Scott Sales, R-Bozeman, opposed the bill and said he does not want any more cyclists in the state and thinks there are too many of them as it is." more...
U.S. Street Design Still Playing Catch Up
"...The bibles of American street engineering still don't recommend designs like protected bike lanes. If these industry standards ever do catch up to modern practice, the pace of change would accelerate..." more
Demand for Wider Bike Paths
Melbourne, AUS - "...Cyclists now account for almost a fifth of all vehicles coming into the city between 7 and 10am, new data has shown." more...
- NZ: Traps found on popular mountain bike trail in Dunedin
- MI: Little Presque bike trails decision made
- NY: Clinton County reveals phase one of Saranac River Trail Greenway
- TN: The Motherland of Soul Is Getting an All-Ages Biking Network
- BEL: Flanders to invest over ￡1 bn on public transport & cycling
- OR: Nails strewn across north Portland bike lanes
- OR: Portland ratchets up their war on speeding
- WA: Madison BRT project cuts nearly all of its bike route plans
Riverfront Commons Project Will Start in Spring
KY - "...The 11.5-mile recreational trail along the Ohio River will ultimately connect Ludlow, Covington, Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, and Fort Thomas..." more
Little Miami Scenic Trail Newsletter
SW OH - "Read the lastest edition.
Is Seattle's Fiercest Bike Fight Settled?
Seattle, WA - "...Since 1996, business owners have argued that constructing the missing link along their driveways would impact day-to-day operations and increase the risk of collisions between trucks and trail users." more...
Toilet Plunger Campaign Leads to Bike Lane Makeover
Witchita, KS - "Cyclists pedaling through one Old Town intersection have a little more protection now, thanks in part to activists with toilet plungers." more...
Women Sexually Assaulted & Beaten on Trail
CAN - "A 32-year-old woman is now recovering after being beaten and sexually assaulted late Sunday night while jogging on a popular trail in a residential area of Colwood near Victoria." more...
Study Reveals Streets are 'Wild West'
"...Just as many drivers accept violations of speed limit laws as the norm in certain situations, bicyclists often accept violations of some traffic regulations as the norm under certain circumstances." more...
A Bike for Bradley
"...Bradley has made tremendous progress in recovery, and until he can play the sport he loves again, Kicks for a Cause will organize and play games to assist him in his return to the pitch!" more...
- CT: Madison Receives Update On Shoreline Greenway Trail Expansion
- IN: Dearborn Trail Bike Share Delayed Until Late April
- MI: DNR issues final Little Presque Isle trails plan
- PA: Blawnox working to become part of Heritage Trail
- NYC: Hit-And-Run Driver Rejects 15-Year Plea Offer
- MA: Boston Tries New Approach to Traffic Calming
Bike Club Launches '3-Feet Law' Safety Campaign
Youngstown, OH - "A local bicycling club wants to make motorists aware of a new Ohio law, taking effect Sunday that will require motorists to leave at least 3 feet of clearance when passing bicyclists." more...
Austin Tries a No-Frills Private Bike Share
TX - "A San Francisco startup, Spin, debuted a station-free bike share in Austin. Is it the next big thing or are they just spinning their wheels?" more...
- NJ: Transit, bike paths key to Camden's growth
- NJ: Conflict between supporters and opponents of mountain bike trails at the Watchung Reservation
Lancaster County Developing Walking, Biking Plan
PA - "...Lancaster's Active Transportation Plan - which aims to improve walking and biking infrastructure and public transit to make it easier for people to get around without a car - is moving full steam ahead, thanks in part to citizen input." more...
- MI: County making progress on trail project
- OK: Workers carving out trail for hikers, mountain bikes
- AL: Opelika opens Azalea and Dogwood Trail
Towpath Times Newsletter
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
New Bike Trail has Unique Feature
Houston, TX - "Along with walkers and cyclists, the path will also accommodate golf carts. Those vehicles will have their own designated lane." more...
Driver gets 1 to 4 Years for Killing Cyclist
NYC - "The hit-and-run driver who killed cyclist Olga Cook on the Hudson River Greenway is going to jail." more...
- CA: Trail systems to experience closures for dam removals
- VA: Former landfill to become greenway thanks to $1.7 million grant
- VA: Roanoke seeks to acquire unused rail bed to extend river greenway
- TN: JCPD gets bike donations to help patrol Tweetsie Trail
- CA: Bay Bridge bike path expected to open for weekday use this summer
- TX: Nolan Creek Trail extension
- MN: Bills Could Dedicate $15 Million/Year to Trails, Walking and Biking
- TN: Possible 55-mile greenway loop through North Georgia, Chattanooga area
Cleveland Towpath Stage 3 Groundbreaking
Cleveland, OH - "...Stage 3 of the Towpath Trail Extension will run 1.9 miles from the Northern entrance of Steelyard Commons to Literary Ave. This stage will provide an important link between Tremont, Steelyard Commons and the public outdoor recreation area Clark Fields." more...
Residents Debate Bike Lanes
Athens, OH - "Some residents of Athens' Far East Side and others have raised concerns about the city moving forward with putting in bike lanes onto East State Street during a road renovation project." more...
Bay Bridge Path Closed - Mostly
CA - "...Alden Wong pedaled along the path leading to the Bay Bridge, building speed as he prepared to head up the incline and across the east span to Yerba Buena Island. Then he discovered that the bridge's bike and pedestrian path is open only on weekends." more...
Bike Share in the US: 2010-2016
"Bike share is growing at an astounding clip across the U.S., with over 88 million trips made on a bike share bike in the U.S. since 2010. In 2016 alone, riders took over 28 million trips, on par with the annual ridership of the entire Amtrak system, and higher than the number of people visiting Walt Disney World each year." more...
Lost MTBer Found After Major Search
IRE - "A mountain biker who lost his way while exploring the Ballyhoura trail was rescued at 2am after an extensive search operation." more...
- AUS: Police arrest 33-year-old man after alleged Greenway crime spree
- WA: Spokane's Centennial Trail makes top 10 bike paths in the West
- VA: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Roanoke County
- WA: Shoreline announces bold idea for a new trail next to light rail
Towpath Closures in Valley View
Valley View, OH - Major river bank stabilization work has closed a towpath section south of Highland Road in Valley View. This closure is expected to be lifted by the end of March 2017. No detour is provided. View map.
There's another closure between Hillside Road and Stone Road in Valley View. This one is expected to continue from March 6, 2017 through March 2018. From March 6 to May 26, 2017, this section will be completely closed.
On May 27, 2017, it will be open on weekends and holidays, but closed Monday - Friday through July 31, 2017. After July 31 a complete closure will be in effect. No detour is provided for this closure. However, the towpath does closely parallel Canal Road in this area. View map.
3-Feet Law Takes Effect This Month
Columbus, OH - "...Ohio joins 29 other states that specify a minimum safe-passing distance. The Ohio Bicycle Federation lobbied for the requirment for seven years before achieving success in December, when Gov. John Kasich signed HB 154 into law." more...
Protected Bike Lanes Coming to Jersey City
NJ - "...Fulop, speaking inside the City Council chambers to an audience of about 500, said the protected bike lane would be expanded to other major roadways once it is installed on Grand Street..." more
E-Bikes May be Key to Increasing U.S. Cycling
"...Many people surveyed say that having to pedal up hills and arriving at their destination sweaty are major deterrents to commuting by bike, even when bike lanes and other facilities are there." more...
- CT: Shoreline Greenway Trail Talks Next Steps in Madison
- NZ: Most spectacular leg of cycle trail to open at last
- CAN: Parks releases Icefields Trail map
Bowling Green Considers Support for Bike Route
Ludlow Connector Trail to be Completed
KY - "...The Ludlow Connector Trail is a shared-use path that will connect the eastern and western parts of Devou Park as well as provide pedestrian and cyclist access to the large park from Ludlow, which only has access to Devou Park by car today..." more
A Look at D.C. Protected Bikeways
D.C. - "...With about 16 miles of protected bike lanes already built in its downtown core, D.C. is well on its way to making a connected network that people can use to zip around on bikes with the same (if not better) ease and convenience as other modes..." more
Drivers Pack Bike 'Protected' Bike Lane with Cars
"Parking drama along one short block in San Francisco exploded on Twitter over the weekend, after a number of cars were spotted in a newly completed 'parking protected' bike lane that was installed on Valencia Street last October." more...
Uber Driver Injures Cyclist at Greenway Crossing
NYC - "...NYPD told us there were 'no serious injuries.' But the FDNY press office said the victim was unconscious and was transported to Bellevue Hospital in serious condition..." more
Teaching Motorists to Share the Road
"...After two bicycle riders died in the 'Platinum' level bicycle-friendly city Fort Collins, Colorado in 2015, the main bike advocacy group held a town hall. Because both victims were riding legally and safety when hit, many people asked, 'What are we doing to educate people who drive?'" more...
- VA: Dayton Greenway making progress
- SC: Columbia neighborhood says proposed greenway threatens privacy
- WVA: Northern panhandle may soon be a part of 430 miles of bike trail
- IA: 2 injured when car leaves I-380, lands on bike trail
- IL: Yorkville bike path work could begin this year
- IA: Great Western Trail preserved by new Veterans Parkway route
- MA: Boston announces plan to become the most walkable city in America
- PA: Highlights of Philadelphia's 'Vision Zero Action Plan' draft
- CHN: Why bicycles are piling up in a Shanghai parking lot
- WA: Pronto will refund remainder of outstanding memberships after shutdown
Can Bike Share Change Louisville?
KY - "After a number of delays, Louisville's bike share program is in the home stretch, with hopes to begin this summer..." more
Epic Saga Over Unfinished Trail May Be Over
Seattle, WA - "...In Seattle, the Burke Gilman Trail's 'Missing Link' saga will go down in the annals of contentious, obstructed bike plans..." more
Homeless Tent City Along OC Bike Trail
Anaheim, CA - "Several videos posted on social media have captured images of an emerging homeless 'tent city' along the Santa Ana River in Anaheim." more...
Mountain Biker's Fatal Encounter with Grizzly
Great Falls, MT - "...Treat collided with a grizzly bear with his bike at a high rate of speed after rounding a blind curve on the trail." more...
Berlin Plans Network of Bike Superhighways
Germany - "...At the heart of the plan lie 13 new bike superhighways, approved at the end of February..." more
- NJ: Village Trustee Howard Levison Discusses River Greenway Hurdles
- NY: Warren County bicycling organization seeks new trails, connections
- MO: 18-mile trail coming to east side of KC
- ME: Portland councilors approve West Commercial Street Trail
- TX: Austin Is Starting a Three-Year Plan to Fight Congestion With Bikes
- KY: Can bike share change the shape of Louisville?
- CA: Ban proposed on SF bicycle 'chop shops'
- WA: Times Ed Board blames... bike lanes?
- TN: Mountain bike park to link downtown Johnson City with regional attraction
Western Reserve Greenway Connection Coming
Warren, OH - "...The final phase, estimated to be complete around 2020 or later, will run four miles from Burton Street on the south end of Warren through Howland and Weathersfield townships to the trailhead of the Niles Greenway in downtown Niles." more...
While Buses Return to Public Square, Bikes are Snubbed
Cleveland, OH - "At some point this week during the preparation for the reopening of Public Square - the bicycle markings within the shared lanes disappeared - deeply scrubbed from existence. The signage vanished from the roadsides as well." more...
Pittsburgh Mayor Stands Behind Bike Lanes
PA - "...It would be easier for me to budget a UFO landing site than to put in the budget a dedicated bike lane in an area that's unsafe for both motorists and cyclists..." more
Lancaster Active Transportation Planning
Lancaster, PA - "The consultants helping Lancaster County develop a comprehensive walking, biking and transit plan said they're encouraged by the high level of public interest here." more...
DHL Expands Urban Delivery with Cargo Bikes
"DHL Express is piloting a new City Hub concept that will enable increased use of cargo bicycles for inner-city deliveries." more...
Engineering Standards for Cars Endanger Peds
"...Part of the problem, Furth says, is that transportation engineers have standards for measuring motorist delay but not pedestrian delay..." more
The Next-Generation Intersection
"Emerging traffic technologies promise to improve safety while moving everyone - not just drivers." more...
- NC: Man struck by car dies
- MA: Greenway Funding on the Ropes Again
- NZ: Sandringham set for new $1M cycleway and shared path
- OR: Council looks at Oregon Ave. bike path
- MA: North Adams seeks partial bike path for now
- ID: Bike and Pedestrian Paths Planned Around Lake Lowell
Closing the Trail Gap in London
London, OH - "...The land has been purchased for the trail segment between Maple St and Walnut St for Phase I of the trail gap project." more...
Greenway Team to Meet with Railroad Company
Ann Arbor, MI - "...Much of what the community envisions in terms of creating a greenway trail within the rail corridor, alongside the freight tracks, hinges on getting cooperation from the railroad's owner..." more
- VA: Roanoke Valley Greenways seeking input for 10 year plan
- CO: Volunteers clean up bike trail in downtown Colorado Springs
- MN: $2.5 million bill being considered for state multi-use trail
MSD Gearing Up to Construct Lick Run Greenway
Cincinnati, OH - "...The Greenway includes a mile-long bioengineered creek in a park-like setting through the valley corridor." more...
Moving Towards The Ultimate Connected City
"Smartphone owners feel connected much of the time, for better or worse. But shouldn't that be the goal for physical movement as well, to be literally that connected -- with a transportation system that could take one anywhere at any time?" more...
- AR: Greenway Trail project continues at Craighead Forest Park
- SC: Big dig for sewer line could lead to Mount Pleasant bike trail
- KY: Volunteers work together to build multi-use trail in Lyon County
- WI: The answer for Manitowish Waters bike trails?
- OR: Troutdale residents help shape walking, cycling trail
- IA: East Grand plan narrows traffic lanes to make space for bike lanes
- MD: Combining Bikes and Buses to Reconnect a Car-Lite City
Towpath Easement Granted
New Philadelphia, OH - "Tuscarawas County has secured an easement for use on either side of the Fink Truss Bridge near Zoarville..." more
Expanding NCIT Connections in Sandusky County
$535K Settlement in Dangerous Bike Lane Case
Portland, OR - "...Mike Cooley, who was 59 at the time, was on his way home from work at the downtown post office when he was hit from behind by someone driving a large white truck..." more
Sadik-Khan Touts Detroit's Wide Streets
MI - "...Detroit, which was built for a population several times its current size, has a key advantage." more...
Pending Transportation Regulation Could Help Vulnerable Users
"...It is uncertain whether the U.S. Department of Transportation -- now under the authority of newly confirmed Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao -- will actually implement the rule..." more
Pedrail, a Barrier to Protect Cyclists & Peds
"...They have developed a simple system that uses a 'proprietary Longitudinal Channelizing Device' to lock the guardrails together and sandbags to hold them down..." more
- MA: Greenway abutters, it's time to help pay more bills
- TN: County commemorates Civil War site along Third Creek Greenway
- IN: Cardinal Greenway initiates bike share
- MI: New beach, greenways planned for Detroit Riverfront area
- TX: Belton City Council approves contract for hike and bike trail
- CA: Bike trail mostly reopens after water recedes
- NY: Suffolk bike path is progress, but we need more to keep cyclists safe
- PA: Trail link work to begin this month
- CAN: These wheelchairs help Calgary design roads
- SC: Nation's 'worst' biking city gets a new, yet familiar, advocate
- OR: Emergency speed limit decrease on Division Street
- IL: City's commitment paving a path for Murphysboro-to-Carbondale bike trail
Aurora Continues Effort to Establish Trails
Aurora, OH - "The city is in the process of purchasing a small property on the southwest corner of the Hartman property, which could be a key to connecting the city's east side parks via a bike trail..." more
Yay Bikes! Gearing Up for 2017
Columbus, OH - "...We have a new plan, a new person and plenty of opportunities for you to apply your passion to what we're up to..." more
Groups Urge Lawmakers to Ok $53M Mega-Trail Plan
Albany, NY - "Outdoor enthusiasts and activists from across New York will gather in Albany to urge state lawmakers to back Gov. Andrew Cuomo's plan for a 750-mile trail system." more...
Analyzing U.S. Bike Share Usage Data
"...we compiled a year's worth of ride data (10/01/2015 to 09/30/2016) from six major cities: New York City; Washington, DC; Boston; Seattle; Chicago; and San Francisco." more...
Bike Industry Joins the Battle Over Public Lands
"It's about so much more than one monument in Utah. Here's what the move means for cycling's access to public land -- and what it says about the purpose of public land in general." more...
Will Trump Infrastructure Rebuild Include Safety Improvements?
"...Recent traffic fatality statistics reveal an alarming trend. Growth in deaths among pedestrians and bicyclists, who now account for 18 percent of all traffic fatalities..." more
- IN: Columbus Mayor On Bike Sharing Program
- SC: Shift in route of Gills Creek greenway fails to stop opposition
- TN: Germantown Greenway ready to grow
- UK: Naked man lurking on Greenway in Mirfield
- NC: McEachern Greenway extension construction begins later this month
- CAN: Designing Arbutus Greenway filled with challenges
- OR: First section of Pendleton airport bike trail open to public
- CA: San Clemente's El Camino Real to get bike lanes, pedestrian path
- CA: Drought, Storms Damage Parks, Trails
- GA: Cloudland Canyon now offers bike rentals
- MI: Detroit pushes new law protecting cities from claims over bad sidewalks
- MI: East Jefferson Avenue gets road diet, new bike lanes
Attempted Abduction on Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "...Police described the suspect a white male, wearing black sweatpants and a T-shirt..." more
Lima, Allen County Dangerous for Bikes, Peds
Lima, OH - "Allen County and Lima are the most dangerous mid-sized population areas in Ohio for bicyclists and pedestrians during a five-year span from 2011 to 2015, according to a study." more...
Smart Columbus Update
Columbus, OH - "When Columbus was announced as the winner of the $40 million federal Smart City grant last summer, much was made of the additional $90 million in matching resources that were secured from local corporate and institutional partners." more...
Congressman Introduces Vision Zero Bill
"U.S. Congressman Earl Blumenauer introduced a bill today to help cities across the country to move forward with Vision Zero policies, plans and projects." more...
Road Fatalities are Soaring
U.S. - "U.S. roadways in 2016 yielded another bumper crop of carnage as vehicle fatalities soared 6 percent, following a 7 percent jump in 2015 - the biggest two-year spike since the 1960s..." more
London Parents not Allowed to Drop Off Kids by Car at School
UK - "...The decision to fine any vehicles seen dropping off or picking up kids within a particular zone of east London stems from city councillors' prolonged efforts to make the area safer and less congested..." more
- CA: Plan will make Fresno a better place to ride a bike and walk
- NYC: 2-Way Protected Bike Lane Slated for 210th Street in Queens
- TN: South Memphis bike lanes aren't a luxury
- SC: Change to Greenway Route Mollifies Some
- MO: New greenways added in goal to connect St. Louis city with St. Charles
- WA: Striking a deal to complete the Ballard Missing Link
- CHN: Startup Builds $1 Billion Business Out of 15-Cent Bike Rides
Groundbreaking Set for Oxford Bike Path
Oxford, OH - "After nearly three years of planning, the city of Oxford will host its official groundbreaking ceremony for a new multi-use recreational trail." more...
How Far is 3 Feet?
Cleveland, OH - "We are nearing the effective date for the statewide 3' Foot Passing Law for cyclists, and there is a lot of excitement in the riding community surrounding an enforceable measure of safety while passing..." more
St. Pete to Titusville Bike Route Closer to Reality
FL - "...The Coast-to-Coast project is just one of several under way in Pinellas County that will benefit area cyclists, walkers and runners..." more
Austin Looking at Reclaiming Trail Corridors for Rail Use
TX - "...The legislation would allow the transportation authority to build up to 30 miles of track without voter approval." more...
Did Driver Who Killed Cyclist Lie to get Light Sentence?
Chicago, IL - "...Cann's [cyclist's] girlfriend, Catherine Bullard, says that San Hamel's [driver] apparent falsehoods represent yet another way the driver has made the cyclist's family suffer." more...
Hairdryers Used Against Speeding Drivers
UK - "Villagers dressed in fluorescent jackets are pointing hairdryers at cars to mimic police using speed cameras in a bid to deter fast drivers in Moray." more...
- IN: Foundation extending People Trail
- NJ: NJDEP Responds to River Greenway Project Delays
- TN: Mountain Bike Rentals Now Available At Cloudland Canyon State Park
- CO: REI gives $30K to support Jefferson County mountain bike trails
- MD: Baltimore bike share to add 30 stations in May
- WA: Bellevue approves funding to start bike plan
- KS: Mysterious plungers pop up along Wichita bike lane
Big Wins for Cycling Community in Lincoln
NE - "...The bill also repealed a side path law that prohibited bikers from safely riding on the road even if there wasn't a path available or in safe condition to ride on." more...
Can History & Recreation Co-Exist?
GA - "...Crawford says members immediately became concerned that bikers might see the [historical] earthwork fortifications as 'challenges.'" more...
Bike & Trail Races Denied Permits by Forest Service
SD - "...Organizers of the races say they are trying to work with the Forest Service to make sure those races happen, but acknowledge some races may need to be canceled." more...
Cities Looking at Lower Speed Limits
"Jurisdictions across the United States, including those in the Washington region, are embracing lower speed limits as the key to reversing the recent rise in traffic fatalities." more...
- IRE: Petition shows public support for greenway
- TX: City keeps rolling on trail, bike lanes
- CO: County gets $200K to study Palisade Plunge route
- UK: Cyclists told to stop buying 'rubbish' bike locks
- CA: Oakland's First Pedestrian Safety Czar Wants to Rethink City Streets
- AUS: RACV calls for cars to make way for trams, peds & cyclists on Sydney Road
What Will it Take to Keep Bike Lanes Clear?
"...If you're a cyclist, you're familiar with the problem. Whenever normal street service is interrupted, the bike lane is co-opted..." more...
Volunteers Clean Up Warren Bike Trail
Warren, OH - "If you plan to hit the bike trail in Warren this spring, you may notice that things look a little nicer." more...
Lake Twp. Approves Bike Route
Lake Twp., OH - "A resolution of support for a proposal to develop a series of corridors crossing Ohio as numbered bicycle routes has been approved by the Lake Township trustees." more...
New Shuttle Service along Virginia Capital Trail
Richmond, VA - "If you've been itching to try out the Virginia Capital Trail but are afraid you may not have the stamina to make the entire trip, help is on the way." more...
Boise Struggles with E-Bike Legislation
ID - "Idaho Rep. Phylis King's proposed bill adds one sentence containing 37 words to Idaho Code -- a simple change to resolve a confusing problem, or so she thought." more...
- GA: U.S. 17 changes topic of S.C. public hearing
- NC: Ground breaking celebrates latest phase of Cape Carteret trail
- OR: Reward offered for Hawthorne Bridge hit-and-run caught on bike-cam
- OR: City moves forward with plan to rent adaptive bikes
Scioto Trail Extension Planned
Columbus, OH - "...this year, Upper Arlington and Marble Cliff intend to jointly fund construction of a shared-use path that will extend the Scioto Trail along the south side of West Fifth Avenue from Arlington Avenue to Riverside Drive." more...
Trail Plans for Wayne National Forest
Athens, OH - "Imagine 100 miles of new mountain-bike trails in the Wayne National Forest and hundreds of people from southeast and central Ohio using the trails to ride and enjoy themselves." more...
Can Greenways Help Fight Chicago Crime?
IL - "...crime of all types decreased at a faster rate in neighborhoods along Chicago's 2.7-mile Bloomington Trail - better known as The 606 - than in similar neighborhoods..." more
Snowy Winter Keeps Greenway Workers Busy
WA - "...Every time it's snowed even an inch, we were out there to plow..." more
€200 Subsidy on E-Bike Purchases
FRA - "In a bid to get more people on their bikes, and to boost alternative transport methods, France is offering its citizens a financial incentive for purchasing an e-bike." more...
- IN: Officials investigating after body discovered near Greenway
- NJ: Northern Valley towns pursue 'greenway' initiative
- PA: 7 Rules We Wish Everyone Would Follow on the Schuylkill River Trail
- TX: A Lesser-Known Bayou Trail Is Getting A New Look
- FL: Proposed changes to make Bayshore safer
- GA: Atlanta one of three cities chosen to try new traffic fixes
- WA: Rainier Ave safety project worked even better than planned
Bicycle and Car Collide
Belmont County, OH - "One person was sent to the hospital after a bicycle and a car collided in St. Clairsville." more...
Buses Returning to Public Square
Cleveland, OH - "The Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority plans to reopen Public Square to buses in less than two weeks, if all goes as planned." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Giving Power Back to Pedestrians
"...deference to people on foot, is what Adam Millard-Ball sees in future cities full of driverless cars." more...
Booby Trap Impales Runner's Foot
NC - "Pinnacle Park in North Carolina closed after police found 60 hidden spikes littering a trail system, leaving one runner injured." more...
Trail Crash Fatality Leads to Safety Investigation
AUS - "A cyclist slammed on his emergency brakes before veering into Dandenong Creek and drowning in shallow water, a coroner's report has found." more...
- IN: Police release audio of suspect in Indiana girls' deaths
- SC: Hundreds Weigh In on Gills Creek Greenway Plans
- GA: Atlanta tagging $3 million for greenway
- NC: Urban Loop will mean changes along the Atlantic & Yadkin
- FL: Ludlam Lights lantern festival to illuminate need for bike path
- CA: How fast is too fast on Stevens Creek Trail?
- CA: Bill would raise safety standards for California highways in urban areas
- GA: Atlanta one of three cities chosen to try new traffic fixes
- WA: NE 65th Street will get autumn quick fixes
Work Begins on Wasson Way Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "Norfolk Southern Railway is removing railroad tracks and ties along the site of the future Wasson Way bike trail so that the city of Cincinnati can begin construction this summer." more...
Unused Ohio Transpo Funds Redirected
"...Money that was dedicated for a trail leading from Fairview Park to the Cleveland Metroparks, before the topography proved to be too difficult, now will go for streetscape improvements on nearby Lorain Road." more...
Plans Underway for Statewide Greenway Along Canal
NJ - "...there is an effort by the New Jersey Transportation Planning Authority to link the recently developed properties to create a statewide greenway connecting Jersey City with Phillipsburg along the route of the former Morris Canal..." more...
Bicycle House Opens in Sweden
"...All 55 apartments are rented out and there is no doubt that bike-minded people were among the first to move in..." more
- NC: Trash piling up on popular greenway in Charlotte
- NC: Friends of the Oklawaha Group creates website for trail
- CA: Man sought in armed robbery on Sacramento bike trail
- MA: North Adams Looks at Shorter Bike Trail Project
- SC: City laying groundwork for bike trail expansion
- FL: Proposed Trail Replaces Old Railroad Tracks
- TX: Two pedestrians killed, 17 months apart, by same driver
- IA: Bike passing, light bill emerges in Iowa House
- KY: Bell County cyclist killed in early-morning crash
Philly's Bike Lane Vigilante
PA - "A Philadelphia cyclist is 'sticking it to' motorists who illegally park and stop in the city's bike lanes." more...
Proposal would allow E-Bikes on Yampa River Core Trail
Steamboat Springs, CO - "...The city also wants the commission to consider allowing some types of e-bikes on other hard- and soft-surface trails following a broader planning effort." more...
Giant Sinkhole Next to Trail
Spring, TX - "Along Cypress Creek Hike and Bike Trail, you'll find a sinkhole that's been growing for months." more...
- IA: Obstacles arise in path of Le Mars-Sioux City trail proposal
- IN: Final stretch of New Albany's Ohio River greenway taking shape
- NYC: Shoelace Park's future tied to users' needs
- IA: Rec trail grounded by Plymouth County reluctance
- IL: Surge In Pedestrian Deaths Shows No Sign Of Slowing
- CAN: Is Toronto ready to move forward?
- CA: Wind, cycling and the growing problem of tall developments
Rails-with-Trails are Safe
Cincinnati, OH - "Regarding the story "Railroad company: Don't build bike trail on Oasis line": Rail-with-trail facilities have been a steadily growing trend around the country for 20 years..." more
Man Shot Dead During Bike Theft
Phoenix, AZ - "A homeless man was shot and killed Sunday morning by a suspect demanding his bicycle, police said." more...
Cellophane Strung Across Popular Bike Trail
Omaha, NE - "...Because the plastic wrap is clear, it's hard to notice it until you get right up on it." more...
- IN: Police search for suspect in deaths of teens who vanished on hike
- IN: Plans advance for highway bridge for Nickel Plate Trail
- KY: Covington trail project moves forward
Wood County Joins National Bike Route Plan
OH - "...Ohio is joining a 'national trend' that has already designated 11,000 miles of signed biking routes in 23 states..." more
City Cycling Survey
"A new survey wants city dwellers on two wheels to add their two cents about cycling infrastructure and culture." more...
Man Fined for Punching Cyclist
UK - "...The cyclist, who was avoiding an icy patch on the A1500 by cycling in the middle of the road..." more
Cyclist Shot Multiple Times
AUS - "Police believe at least six shots were fired at a bike rider at Everton on Saturday, with at least one bullet hitting him in the head and multiple rounds hitting his chest." more...
- IL: Murphysboro to consider cost of proposed bike trail
- MI: Why hasn't the Allen Creek Greenway happened?
Century Cycles Earns Gold-Level Status
NE OH - "Century Cycles is proud to be officially recognized as a Bicycle Friendly Business by both Bike Cleveland and the League of American Bicyclists..." more
Route Options for Ann Arbor Greenway Trail
Ann Arbor, MI - "Four route options are under consideration for the proposed Allen Creek Greenway trail through Ann Arbor." more
Jogger Who was Hit by Tree Settles Lawsuit
Austin, TX - "...The man was seriously injured in 2013 when he was jogging along the Ann and Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail." more...
Birmingham's Electric BikeShare
AL - "I recently spent a few days in Birmingham, AL and got to try their new Zyp bikeshare system -- the first public electric bikeshare system in the US..." more...
Cities may be Liable for Crashes where Street Design Encourages High Speeds
"On December 22, the New York State Court of Appeals, the state's highest court, ruled that municipalities may be liable for traffic injuries when the design of roads contributes to reckless driving or excessive speeding..." more
Don't Demonize Driving, Just Stop Subsidizing It
"...When we subsidize roads, socialize the costs of pollution, crashes and parking, and even legally require that our communities be built in ways that make it impossible to live without a car, we send people strong signals to buy and own cars and to drive -- a lot..." more
- WVA: Town takes DIY approach to restoring flood-damaged park
- TN: New sections of Wolf River Greenway under construction
- VA: Schenk's Greenway officially open to the public
- IA: Raccoon River Valley Trail Association Working to Make Trail Safer
- CA: American River Parkway remains flooded
- WA: Getting The Bike Master Plan Back On Track
- WA: What kept Seattle's Pronto! bike share program from thriving?
Bicycle Friendly Community Attitudes & Behaviors
"...This survey was modeled after selected questions from the 2012 National Survey of Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behavior by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)..." more
Stranded Hiker, Dogs Rescued from Mountain
Franconia, NH - "Authorities say rescuers communicated by text and trudged through waist-deep snow and poor visibility to reach a stranded hiker who was huddled with his two dogs atop Mount Lafayette in New Hampshire." more...
Man Sought in Double Homicide along Trail
Delphi, IN - "Authorities said they were searching a home in northern Indiana on Thursday looking for clues to the deaths of two teenage girls whose bodies were found on a trail where they had been dropped off to go hiking." more...
- MS: Columbus construction update
- IL: Proposed bike path would connect Carbondale, Murphysboro
- MI: Bike-sharing program debuts in Jackson this spring
- TX: Cyclists Could Soon Have An Easier Way To Ride Into Downtown
- MA: Police nab Marblehead Trail assault suspect
- FL: Green bike lanes put spotlight on safety
- WA: Two decades of service to Greenway
- OR: PBOT will use little-known 'emergency' law to rein in speeding drivers
- WA: One Center City can finally build the Pike/Pine bike connection
Bike Path Vision Becoming Clearer
Hamilton, OH - "The first phase of a nearly 3-mile bike path that would connect a large part of the city's West Side could be finished by 2018..." more
Barberton to Host Better Block
Barberton, OH - "...The best ideas will be activated during the Barberton Better Block to see if they're doable in the long run." more...
More on Rubber City Heritage Trail Concept
Akron, OH - "...While not officially part of the iTowpath project in downtown Akron, the Rubber City Heritage Trail would fit nicely with the idea of using connectors to bring bicycle riders, joggers and walkers into contact with downtown and its attractions..." more
Where Should Newport's New Red Bike Stations Go?
KY - "Newport has received a state grant to add two or three new Red Bike stations. The River City News is partnering with Red Bike and the City of Newport to find out where you think those stations should go." more...
Gruesome Discovery off of Greenway Trail
Nashville, TN - "...It seemed like it was straight out of a horror film..." more
Statewide Trail Programs
"...With fewer opportunities at the federal level to acquire critical funds, states and local jurisdictions have increasingly taken the funding of trails and active transportation programs into their own hands..." more
SUV Drives into Protest Crowd
Nashville, TN - "Nashville police say based on the information they have now, they will not charge the driver of an SUV who was involved in an incident at an immigration rally on Sunday." more...
U.S. Traffic Deaths Rise Again
"...The two-year increase -- 14 percent -- is the largest in more than a half a century." more...
Town adds Lightlines for Distracted Peds
Netherlands - "...A pilot project in the city of Bodegraven called +Lightlines (or +Lichtlijn in Dutch) is the latest take on in-ground sidewalk crossing signals and it puts a bright, laser-like strip of green and red LEDs right where multi-tasking pedestrians can see them." more...
Do Bike Shares Complement or Replace Transit?
"Public bikesharing has emerged as one of the latest transportation innovations, transforming North American cities and providing people with more transportation options..." more
- MN: Bike trail shut out for funding
- IL: Trail Advocates Seek Funding to 'Close the Gap'
- MI: Allen Creek Greenway trail plans in Ann Arbor
- TX: Woman describes Greenway Trail groping
- GA: $3 million commitment to Proctor Creek Greenway
- MD: Councilman seeks increased penalties for those who park in bike lanes
- CO: Denver has about 250 miles of streets with no sidewalks
- OR: PBOT planning jersey-barrier protected bikeway on North Greeley Ave
- KY: Teen Killed When Scooter is Hit by Vehicle in Covington
- NOR: Giving residents $1200 toward purchasing an electric cargo bike
Oregon to Consider U.S. Designated Bike Route
Oregon, OH - "Oregon council on Monday will consider a resolution supporting the establishment of a U.S. numbered bicycle route in Northwest Ohio." more...
Bike Route Network Study
PA - "A recently awarded pair of grants will fund the hiring of a firm to determine roadway bike routes that will connect Titusville to a statewide network and an extension of the Erie-to-Pittsburgh Trail into Hydetown." more...
The Traffic Engineer Who Stresses Safety
"Streetsblog once called Seattle City Traffic Engineer Dongho Chang 'the coolest traffic engineer in the world.'" more...
Armstrong Headed to Trial in $100M Lawsuit
"Judge denied disgraced cyclist's request to have federal government's case against him thrown out." more...
- MA: Greenway art exhibit is lighting up the skyline with some color
- MN: Hennepin County rehabs century-old Greenway bridges
- IRE: Amazing benefits of cycling tourism to Kildare
- WI: Manitowish Waters' bike trail expansion remains stagnant for now
- IL: Bloomington-Mansfield rail line could become trail
- AR: City Of Van Buren Looking At Building Bike Trails
- CA: Marin vetting next round of trail projects
- GA: Midtown Atlanta's bike-friendly future
- WA: King County Council approves the Eastside Trail Master
- OR: New separated path on SE 17th between Sellwood to Milwaukie
Montpelier Looks to Bike Trail to Gain Visitors
RTA Riders Rally for Public Square Bus Access
Cleveland, OH - "...Local transit advocates want to see city government take action to reopen Superior Avenue through Public Square to buses before it's too late." more...
Man Found Dead on Sunriver Bike Path
Sunriver, OR - "Authorities say a man found dead on a Sunriver bike path had earlier been seen walking with blood coming from his neck." more...
'Safety Stop' Bill for Cyclists
CO - "...Senate Bill 93, introduced Jan. 18 by Sen. Andy Kerr, D-Lakewood, would permit a person riding a bike or 'electrical-assisted bicycle' to pass through intersections without stopping if the rider 'slows to a reasonable speed, yields to vehicles and pedestrians, and can safely proceed or make a turn.'" more...
How Chao can Move Vision Zero Forward
"...the focus of her note -- that she 'look(s) forward to working... to ensure that the safety and efficiency of our country's transportation systems are second to none' -- offers a glimpse into priorities she may set." more...
Barcelona's Car-Taming 'Superblocks' Meet Resistance
SPA - "Barcelona's plans to slash car traffic may be some of the most innovative in the world, but right now their introduction isn't going all that smoothly..." more
- TN: Maryville College survey sheds light on Greenway use
- GA: Greenway phase in state budget plans
- MO: Pedestrian, biking bridges to be built in St. Charles
- FL: Planning group withdraws support for Everglades bike path
- MN: Future Walking Trails, Parks On The Horizon For City Of Rice
- PA: New hiking, biking trail to open on Earth Day in Ross
- CO: Hancock Is Serious About Prioritizing People Over Cars
- D.C.: 15 mph speed limit might be coming to D.C. streets
- KY: Louisville becoming a more bike friendly city
- IL: Why did the drunk driver who killed cyclist only get ten days in jail?
- OR: It's a big week for Vision Zero
- WA: Burke Gilman Trail 'missing link' problems
Transport Planner Struck by Car While Riding Trail
Clearwater, FL - "Time slowed down as Whit Blanton was launched over the handlebars of his bike, flew over the hood of a Honda Fit and crashed onto the surface of the Duke Energy Trail." more...
Edmonton's 'Beg Buttons' a Problem
CAN - "It's a major irritant for Edmonton's pedestrian subculture, especially on popular bus routes where people watch their bus pull up, stop and drive off before the long cycle finishes and the walk light turns on." more...
Mountain Bikers Vow to Defy Marin's 'Hostile' Trail Rules
CA - "In the birthplace of mountain biking, Marin County, knobby tire enthusiasts are becoming increasingly frustrated with the lack of mountain biking access. Some are so upset, they're going on the warpath." more...
Taking Vision Zero to the Next Level
"Vision Zero shorthand boils down the initiative to eliminate traffic fatalities to three E's: education, enforcement and engineering..." more
- IRE: Greenway won't link with Waterford because of objections
- IN: Elkhart County Council approves $468,000 funding for C.R. 8 bike trail
- IL: Despite mild winter, seasoned cyclists aren't fighting a crowd
- CO: 66 Percent of Denver Voters Would Pay a Sales Tax to Build the Bike Network
Franklin, Middletown Move Forward with Trail Project
300-Mile Trail Closer to Reality
FL - "Picture a 300-mile ribbon of pavement for walking, running, bicycling or skating that stretches from Clearwater through Naples." more...
Incidents along RiverWalk
GA - "Two of my friends had similar experiences recently on the Chattahoochee RiverWalk that have led them to the same conclusion." more...
Don't 'Balance' Modes - Prioritize Walking, Biking, and Transit
Denver, CO - "...Successful multimodal cities aren't just about what your city starts doing -- i.e., funding transit -- it's what you stop doing -- i.e., widening roads..." more
Air Canada Gouges Cyclists on Bike Fees
"Bike fees are one thing, but charging more than the cost of your plane ticket crosses a line." more...
Berlin's Bicycle Referendum
Germany - "Have you heard about Berlin's Bicycle Referendum, the world's first citizen-initiated cycling referendum?..." more
Concept Trail: Rubber City Heritage Trail
Akron, OH - "...City administrators, council members and caretakers of the Ohio Erie Canal Way are entertaining the idea of a Rubber City Heritage Trail. The route would originate in Middlebury and merge with the Towpath Trail..." more...
Naples to Miami Trail Scrapped
Collier County, FL - "A proposed hike and bike trail through the Everglades from Naples to Miami is no more. The plan to connect the two cities was taken off the table on Friday afternoon." more...
How CitiBike Pays Riders to Balance System
NYC - "Any member of a bike share program has come up against one of two frustrating scenarios: a full dock at the end of a trip, or an empty dock at the start." more...
China's First Cycleway in Air Starts Trial Operation
- AR: New wayfinding signs installed on Razorback Greenway
- LA: Lafitte Greenway spurring new developments in 2017
- AL: Key element of Trussville Greenway is now in place
- CA: Los Gatos en route on bicycle, pedestrian plan
- CA: San Ramon set to put up $2M for Iron Horse Trail overcrossing
- FL: Tampa will be home to FDOT's first-ever protected bike lane
Finding Safer Bike Routes in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "...Many smartphone users are accustomed to using Google Maps to get to and from unfamiliar places. What a lot of users don't realize is that there is a Cycling setting within that powerful mapping app..." more
Designers to Envision Irishtown Bend Transformation
Cleveland, OH - "The Port of Cleveland took a big step Thursday toward shaping a new vision for the crumbling Irishtown Bend hillside, which could become a 17-acre park on the Cuyahoga River with superlative skyline views and links to the Towpath Trail and Whiskey Island on Lake Erie." more...
Seattle May Replace Some Traffic Lights with 4-Way Stops
WA - "Here's an intriguing idea to make city streets safer. Seattle is reviewing 10 intersections to see if traffic signals should be replaced with four-way stops." more...
Charlotte Installs 'EcoCounters'
Charlotte, NC - "...CDOT, in partnership with NCDOT, is part of a statewide pilot program to install permanent pedestrian and bicycle counters..." more
- NJ: South Orange's River Greenway Project: Why Isn't It Finished?
- CA: Fresno disappoints residents seeking more bike lanes and trails
- OR: A new off-road biking area takes shape in Scappoose
- VA: A good time for a bike
Upcoming Closure for LMST Section
Nation's 1st Solar-Powered Glow-in-the-Dark Bike Lane
TX - "...The university boasts that the lane is the nation's first 'non-signalized, Dutch-style intersection ... [that] includes bright green solar luminescent pavement markings used to delineate the bicycle pathways.'" more...
Lakefront Trail Separation Moves Forward
Chicago, IL - "...the Chicago Park District board approved a $1.7 million contract for engineering and design services." more...
Mountain-Bike Park Could Be Crippled by a Court Decision
Portland, OR - "...Because of a court ruling last year, she and the other volunteers building the park's bike trails can be sued if a visitor to the park gets hurt." more...
Cyclists Perplexed at Speed Bumps in Cycle Lane
Paris, FRA - "Cyclists near Paris are demanding that speed bumps installed on a cycle path in a suburb of the French capital be ripped up -- although the local council says that they have been put there to protect bike riders from motorists." more...
Opening Ochoco Forest Roads to OHVs Means Fewer Elk
OR - "An experimental forest is an area administered to provide for the research necessary for the management of the land, as defined by the U.S. Forest Service. The concept began in 1908..." more
- NY: Geyser Road trail plan met with support, opposition
- VA: Bike trail extended
- NJ: County Freeholders Seeking $500,000 For Walking Trail Project
- WA: Barb Chamberlain will head WSDOT's new Active Transportation Division
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Bike Route Will Pass Through Wauseon
Wauseon, OH - "An Ohio Department of Transportation-driven resolution to designate the city's portion of Wabash Cannonball Trail as part of a larger system of state and U.S. bike routes was passed during a Monday meeting of the Wauseon City Council." more...
$23M Expansion for Monon Trail
IN - "Carmel Mayor Jim Brainard announced plans Monday for a $23 million makeover to the Monon Trail in downtown Carmel." more...
MTB Trail from Washington to California
OR - "...They're taking 650 miles of already-extant trails and combining them into a massive, state-spanning single-track mountain bike trail." more...
Conflicting Views on Safe Road Riding
"Ride in the right tire track of the right hand lane. 'Be predictable.' Always wear a helmet. Thousands of people in North America are exposed to these rules of thumb in cycling training courses each year. But how good is the advice?" more...
- TX: Westchase District breaks ground on third hike and bike trail
- CA: Neighbors oppose trail upgrade
- WI: Plans to make intersection near Oak Leaf Trail safer
- IL: Montrose-To-Lawrence Riverfront Connector Targeted For Late 2017
- UK: Campaign aims to stop motorbikes riding on Greenway
- CT: Fair Haven To Traffic Calmers: Not So Fast!
2017: Year of the Trail
Xenia, OH - "Honoring the impact the paved trail network offers Greene County, the Board of Greene County Commissioners recently resolved that 2017 will now be known as 'Year of the Trail in Greene County'..." more
Toxic Soil Clean up Delays Towpath Section
Cleveland, OH - "...Residents and Towpath Trail enthusiasts who had anticipated the completion of the renovation project this year must wait at least until 2018 or later, as funding for the remediation work remains tangled in the bureaucratic red tape of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency." more...
Avon Seeks Trail Grant
Avon, OH - "Avon residents may see the construction of a pedestrian trail from Detroit Road to Route 611 within the next two years." more...
SF Takes a Step Back From Raised Bike Lanes
San Francisco, CA - "...The city had planned on installing a two-inch raised, mountable lane on a section of Polk Street, where, on average, cars hit one cyclist and one pedestrian every month..." more
Cycling Advocates Call for Action After 2 Fatalities
Houston, TX - "They say the city's proposed Bike Plan would help keep cyclists out of harm's way." more...
Transients Plead Guilty to Killings
San Francisco, CA - "Two transients pleaded guilty Monday to murder in the deaths of a Canadian tourist who was camping in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park during a music festival and a yoga teacher walking his dog on a popular hiking trail." more...
- MO: Greenway is great walking, biking path
- LA: Proposed bar on Lafitte Greenway features bicycle parking
- TX: 2 women on Buffalo Bayou trail sprint away from armed robber
- NC: Officials to vote on new bike riding trail near RDU
- AR: Expansion coming for bike path
- MN: A Modest Proposal for Better Minnesota Bike Legislation
- OR: A bicycle rider has died in a collision with a box truck in North Portland
- UK: BMW driver fined £375 after injuring cyclist and failing to stop
RTC Co-Founder Passes Away
"This past week, the world lost a passionate conservationist and environmentalist. On the anniversary of Rails-to-Trails Conservancy's (RTC's) founding, rail-trail visionary and co-founder David Burwell passed away on Feb. 1, 2017, after a hard-fought battle with leukemia." more...
Cyclists not Happy with Proposed Bike Bill
MN - "A legislator's bid to require bicyclists to have special permits to use bike lanes in urban areas is drawing sharp criticism from Minnesota cyclists." more...
Driver Rams Cyclist Who Turns out to be Police Officer
Canary Islands - "A heated argument in Tenerife between a cyclist and driver resulted in the motorist of a white van taking a run at the cyclist." more...
- ID: Portneuf Greenway Foundation aims to construct vast trail network
- VA: Danville council to consider bike share program
Hamilton Beltline Trail Feedback
Hamilton, OH - "Most people who submitted comments about the proposed Hamilton Beltline bike path are in favor of the project to re-purpose the former CSX rail corridor and rail yard." more...
$22M Greenway Investment Coming to Asheville
NC - "...There are more than 16 miles being built and planned at an estimated $24 million." more...
Trail Supporters Look to Take Advantage of Earthquake
NZ - "...Momentum is building for the proposal, to extend a cycleway from the Marlborough Sounds some 350 kilometres south to Christchurch along the east coast." more...
Super Bowl Cities: Which is Better for Cyclists?
"How the two cities compare on a cyclist's playing field." more...
- WA: Plan for East Bremerton bike path gains traction
- AR: 165-acre bike and nature park
- CA: Mayor aims to make Redding mountain bike destination
- NY: Lewiston Mohawk Trail receives Greenway funding
- NC: Could old rail bed in downtown Wilmington soon be a greenway?
Tremont Towpath Integration Plan
Cleveland, OH - "Tremont West in partnership with Tremont Pointe applied for and received an Ohio Capital Corporation for Housing Strategies Fund grant to carry out a neighborhood-wide engagement and planning process to identify strategies that will integrate the Towpath Trail into the fabric of our neighborhood..." more
Freiberger Field Awaits Permits for Construction
Cleveland, OH - "...On May 20, 2016, Case Western Reserve University and the Cleveland Museum of Art announced an agreement to collaborate on the construction of a new greenway that will stretch from Freiberger Field to the Milton and Tamar Maltz Performing Arts Center..." more
Committee Studying E-Bike Use in the Valley
ID - "A subgroup of the Blaine County Regional Transportation Committee is working to understand just what electric-assist bikes are and where they can, or could be, allowed." more...
Do You Know How to Safely Open a Car Door?
"...changing your habit and opening the door with your right hand -- increasingly known as the 'dutch reach' -- could save a life." more...
- GA: Trails may cost $700K to $800K per mile
- NC: Body found near Jackson Park identified
- NE: Trail coming back together, growing longer
- OR: Trail project enters homestretch
- CAN: Mtn. bike trails legalized
- MO: Sikeston hopes to revamp Union Pacific rail line with Rail Trail
- OR: Community rallies around man paralyzed in north Portland collision
- OR: Portland wins $10 million in federal grants for biking/walking projects
Bike Riding Now Legal in Downtown Youngstown
Youngstown, OH - "...Since 1974, it's been against the law to ride bicycles and motorcycles along Federal Plaza..." more
Sunbury Supports Sandel Trail
Sunbury, OH - "Late last year the name of the Big Walnut Community Trail was formally changed to the Sandel Legacy Trail..." more
Yay Bikes! Newsletter
Columbus, OH - Read the February edition.
Man Dies on Greenway
Hendersonville, NC - "A man died on the Oklawaha Greenway near downtown Hendersonville on Thursday, according to Hendersonville Police." more...
Marin Bike Activists Demand Better Trail Access
CA - "...We represent 40 percent to 45 percent of the users out there, but we're relegated to less than 10 percent of the trails..." more
What If Bike Paths Looked Like Subway Maps?
"...His cool idea: Make maps for bike infrastructure as if the lanes, trails, and paths constituted a connected transit system." more...
Is BikeSharing Contagious?
"Bikeshare systems are relatively new, highly visible additions to urban transportation systems that provide opportunities to cycle or combine cycling with other modes of transportation..." more
Automakers will have to Adapt or Die
"Ford is trying to figure out what transportation will look like in 100 years but knows the future is data driven." more...
- UT: Bill calls for new state park at Hole in the Rock
- MD: Bridge repairs will close access to Great Falls
- NY: Empire State Trail details still murky
- VA: New amenities to be added to Virginia Capital Trail
- CO: Graffiti ruins mural on Cherry Creek Trail
- NC: Depot Street Stream project underway
- OR: Auditor: ODOT is misaligned with governing body
- WA: Seattle Puts Side Guards on Trucks to Protect Cyclists
A Look at Cleveland's Public Square Controversy
"Against most wishes, Frank Jackson is refusing to open the dedicated bus lanes that run through the celebrated space." more...
Public Supports Safer Streets
Cleveland, OH - "...75% of voters WANT policies that aim for more complete streets, and facilities that make transportation safe and effective for a wide range of users -- not just cars..." more...
Local STEM Bike Clubs Gain Momentum
Cincinnati, OH - "Students at 12 local schools will receive 160 bicycles this week, which they will learn to disassemble and reengineer -- eventually ending up with a finished product and a new mode of transportation." more...
Columbus, OH - "...The goal of transportation engineers is shifting dramatically, from an emphasis of moving cars to an emphasis of moving people..." more
Woman Sexually Assaulted On Bike Trail
El Dorado County, CA - "Authorities are looking for a young man suspected of sexually assaulting a woman who was walking on a bike trail near Placerville." more...
Snow Removal Plan Doesn't Include Greenways
Portland, OR - "...Instead of plowing residential streets that are the backbone of our biking network, Commissioner Saltzman announced two other changes to the City's storm response plan..." more
The Self-Driving Car's Bicycle Problem
"Robotic cars are great at monitoring other cars, and they're getting better at noticing pedestrians, squirrels, and birds. The main challenge, though, is posed by the lightest, quietest, swerviest vehicles on the road." more...
The Best of 2016 Bicycling Advocacy
"2016 was a big year for bicycle advocacy all over the country. From new and improved routes and signs to better Amtrak accommodations, bicycle travel is becoming more convenient, accessible, and safer than ever..." more
Dutch Bikeway Design Manual Updated
"...word of mouth has made the main guide to Dutch bikeway engineering a critical darling, at least among the nation's hipper street designers. And after a 10-year hiatus, its latest edition dropped in January." more...
- CT: Trail could spur millions in consumer spending
- WI: Walking and bike trail opening this summer
- IA: New Bike Trail Hopes to Bring Riders to Jasper County
- SD: New bike paths meant to make Brookings more pedestrian friendly
- CA: Cyclist Nearly Plummets Off a 30-Foot Bridge in a Road Race
- OR: PBOT wants input on apartment bike parking
- WA: With cargo bike full of tamales, Andres Salomon announces run for Seattle Mayor
Green Corridors Add to Quality of Life
Milbury, OH - "...Not only will bike trails connect the parks, Metroparks, in conjunction with TARTA, will offer three to seven bikes for rent at each of 17 locations in the East Toledo-Downtown area..." more
Oakland Protected Bike Lanes Show Stunning Results
CA - "Less than a year after opening a dramatic redesign of Telegraph Avenue in downtown Oakland, the city is reporting huge benefits from the project..." more
American Cities Trying to End Pedestrian Deaths
"As dozens of cities try to emulate Sweden's success, they're learning what works and what doesn't." more...
Safe Routes to School E-News
Read the February Newsletter.
- NY: Greenway panel OKs funds for Lewiston trail
- IN: Final phase of New Albany's Ohio River Greenway
- MN: Minneapolis moves forward with road closure near Midtown Greenway
- PA: Key portions of Jordan Creek Greenway Trail slated for construction
- IA: Committee plans bike trails on SL streets
- WI: County's First Fat Tire Bike Trail to Open
- TN: Students get new bike helmets
- GA: Police fire officer accused of hitting teens with car
- OR: Plans for protected bike lane on a state highway aren't good enough
Grant Sought to Close London Trail Gap
London, OH - "The Ohio to Erie bike trail is getting closer to downtown London, after Madison County commissioners approved a grant application Monday to purchase a plot of land to expand the bike path." more...
Alum Creek Trail Section Closing for Repairs
Columbus, OH - From Franklin MetroParks, "Alum Creek Trail will be closed for repair Feb. 1-17 near Agler Rd bridge. Please use caution and do not cross into work zone."
Project Underway to Make Wright State Bike-Friendly
Dayton, OH - "...What we would like to do eventually in the next year or two, is to have a plan to make Wright State a bike friendly campus by 2020." more...
- CT: Study says Greenway will pay off for towns
- IN: Fishers eyes Nickel Plate trail
- ID: Sun Valley opens 4 more miles of trail to fat bikes
- FL: Carolyn Conant puts the trails in trail blazer
- CO: Fat tire snow bicyclists get 10 kilometers of their own
- MA: State Asks For Redesign of Pittsfield's Rail Trail Extension
- GA: Trail at 400/285 interchange to connect 4 cities
- MN: Public input shapes goals for Kandiyohi County bike and pedestrian plan
- TX: Dallas Is a City of Accidents
- UK: London Police Will Pose as Cyclists to Catch Unsafe Drivers
Water Trail Proposed for Maumee River
Toledo, OH - "Several groups in northwestern Ohio are taking steps to designate the Maumee River a state water trail to promote kayaking and canoeing." more...
Lawmaker Wants to Require Permits for Road Cyclists
MN - "A rural Minnesota lawmaker is suggesting that bicyclists be required to undergo safety training and get a special permit to use dedicated traffic lanes, an idea that quickly drew scorn from cyclists who called the idea misguided." more...
- MI: New urban beach pitched for Detroit riverfront
- WA: Enhancing outdoor recreation from Burbank through Walla Walla to Dayton
Park District Looks to Acquire Land for Trailhead
Lisbon, OH - "The Columbiana County Park District is working with the Western Reserve Land Conservancy to acquire 30 acres near the Franklin Square area of the Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail." more...
Former Amusement Park to Become Part of Bike Trail
Let's Complete Trails on Both Banks of the Mon
PA - "Seven years ago, the Great Allegheny Passage trail did not go past Kennywood and Sandcastle, so it did not reach Pittsburgh. That trail has since been completed, so today trails connect 320 miles from Downtown Pittsburgh to Washington, D.C." more...
Corpse Found in Woods Along Greenway
NYC - "Detectives are investigating the death of a woman whose body was found in a wooded area along Inwood's Hudson River Greenway Saturday, officials said." more...
Hiring Freeze Blocks National Park Service Permanent Hiring
"National Park Service officials have been told to stop filling vacant permanent positions throughout the National Park System under the federal hiring freeze President Trump ordered..." more
Bill to Let Cyclists Roll Through Stops Gains Speed
Denver, CO - "Bill finding support in Denver's biking community would mimic 35-year-old Idaho law." more...
Fight to Bring Citi Bike to Bronx & Staten Island
NYC - "While Citi Bike stations have already popped up in New Jersey, the bike sharing service has only made it to three of the five boroughs in New York -- leaving residents in The Bronx and Staten Island feeling snubbed." more...
Houston Greenways 2020
Houston, TX - "The Bayou Greenways 2020 project is transforming more than 3,000 acres of land along Houston waterways, and has a goal of creating a network of 150 miles of connected parks and trails." more...
- NC: What Chapel Hill Can Learn from Germany's Greenways
- NY: Greater tourism potential with bikes, rather than trains
- NY: Greece, Parma, Hilton eye trail along the old Hojack line
- CA: The fact is trail conflicts exist
- OR: The Portland Aerial Tram's impact on bicycling has been profound
- WA: SDOT to make a choice on the Missing Link
- MN: Lawmaker wants permit, fee for using bike lanes
All 119 U.S. Bike Shares Ranked by Size
"...There are at least 119 systems nationwide, covering all but two of the 20 largest urban areas." more...
Bring on the E-Bikes
"...Studies have shown the prospect of arriving at work sweaty is one of the biggest impediments to getting would-be bike commuters out of their cars..." more
Man Gets 20 Years for Raping Cyclist
Portland, OR - "A Portland man convicted nearly 30 years ago of attempted murder has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for raping a cyclist who was trying to fix her flat tire." more...
- IL: Volunteers plan to build new mountain bike trail in Mt. Vernon
- MN: RR crossing to help complete regional trail
- WI: New Bike Route Would Cross State
- TX: Timber Lane Utility District earns award for its for 2.5-mile trail
- CA: How Los Angeles plans to make its streets less deadly
- OR: Police stop 66 people in two hours for vision zero enforcement
High Water Overtakes Bike Paths
Dayton, OH - "...Many stretches of the bike paths near downtown Dayton are covered with water." more...
Student to Launch Bike Share Program
Cleveland, OH - "...Facing History New Tech High School 10th-grader Randy King recently received a $5,000 grant for his project -- the Cleveland Bike Library -- and has secured support from two bicycling advocacy organizations in the city..." more
County to Pursue Stavich Trail Grant
Detroit to get $4M Velodrome
MI - "...It will be the second indoor velodrome in the country." more...
The Big Jump Project
"PeopleForBikes is helping 10 cities radically reimagine their bicycling infrastructure, propelling communities nationwide into a better future for biking. The new initiative, called the Big Jump Project, aims to double or triple bike ridership in specific neighborhoods over the course of just three years -- proving that when cities make smart changes, more people ride bikes, and communities become better places to live, work and play." more...
Suspicious Device Removed from Bike Trail
Bedford, MA - "A suspicious device has been safely removed from the side of a bike trail in Bedford, said police." more...
- MD: City embarks on ambitious Urban Greenway plan
- GA: Defendant withdraws incompetence claim in Greenway attack
- GA: PATH400 greenway trail reaches 50 percent completion
- CA: Arcata Forest Management Committee meeting addresses conflicts
- FL: Safety for pedestrians must be priority
- IL: Concerns About Profiling Are a Barrier to Biking in Communities of Color
- NY: Auburn officials await federal approval for proposed Owasco River Greenway Trail
Geneva Applies for Clean Ohio Trail Funding
Geneva, OH - "City Council took a step forward Monday in its quest for a multi-use trail running along the Route 534 Corridor." more...
9 Peds Hit in Boston in 1 Day
MA - "Nine defenseless pedestrians - including one in a wheelchair - were hit in one day last week - the same day Mayor Martin J. Walsh promised safer streets for everyone." more...
Fishing Line Strung Across Bike Trail
Withcita, KS - "...He was enjoying a bike ride at the Sedgwick County Park when something caught his attention..." more
New Congress, New President: What's Ahead for Trails?
"This is a significant time for America. The 115th Congress is underway, and a new administration is taking its place in Washington, D.C. On the heels of what has arguably been the most divisive presidential election in modern history, there is much uncertainty about what's to come, including for active transportation - trails, walking and biking." more...
Study Finds Familiarity Breeds Acceptance of E-Bikes
Golden, CO - "...Seventy-one percent of the people who demo'ed [an e-bike] said the test ride changed their perception of e-bikes..." more
Do Pedestrian Scrambles Make Sense?
CA - "Pedestrian scrambles have enjoyed some increased popularity lately, popping up at Hollywood & Highland in LA and Brand & Harvard by the Americana in Glendale..." more
- WV: Bike trail not a luxury, but a path out of sluggish economy
- AUS: Plans for a world-class mountain bike trail centre at Maydena
- NY: Tonawanda to open bike and walking trail around Lincoln Park
- VA: Bike sharing program headed to Danville
- TN: Greenway rules never allowed horses
- OR: PBOT will extend Naito Parkway bike lanes
- MT: Bill banning bicyclists on highways without shoulders to be re-drafted
- WA: Dad killed while biking to 2nd job
- CAN: Backlash against transportation department tweet targeting pedestrians
Montpelier Approves Bike Route
Montpelier, OH - "Montpelier Village Council approved a resolution supporting the designation of a proposed state bicycle route through the village at the regular meeting Monday." more...
The NYPD Doesn't Think This Is A Crime
NYC - "On Friday afternoon a woman was run over in Brooklyn by a school bus driver as she walked across the intersection of Nostrand Avenue and Avenue M. Graphic video of the collision shows the driver turning directly into the woman..." more
Rockslide Closes Bike Trail
CA - "Rain and wind over the weekend caused a rock slide on the American River bike trail near Lake Natoma." more...
Montreal's Car-Free Street Network
CAN - "...Block by block, experiment by experiment, the city's pedestrian streets are growing." more...
- GA: Atlanta Beltline enlists goats
- MN: Cuyuna Lakes Mountain Bike Trails get big boost
- WI: Proposal calls for expansion of Capital City State Trail
- MN: City council OKs McMIllan Street plans
- NY: New greenway coming to Gerritsen Beach
- NC: Rain and wind gusts cause power outage, closure of some trails
- MO: Kansas City Unveils a Streets Plan That Puts Walking First
- UK: Nearly 100 riders killed or seriously injured due to potholes
- DE: Everyone living within a 1/2 mile of a major trail in Delaware should be able to bike to it
Proposed Trail Makes Strong Case for Funding
Youngstown, OH - "...The proposed $890,000 Center City to Mill Creek Connector Trail deserves to remain strongly in the running for approval among this year's myriad funding proposals to the Clean Ohio Trails Fund..." more
The Demise of Seattle's Bike Share
"...A lot of people are blaming the helmet law in Seattle for the failure of the bike share..." more
- CO: Mother, daughter OK after crashing onto Cherry Creek Trail
- NH: Merrimack River Greenway Trail 'thinking bold'
- CAN: 5 world-renowned greenways to inspire Vancouver's Arbutus Corridor
Snow Train Cancellation Leads to Trail Hopes
NY - "At least one Warren County supervisor is advocating for the county to take another look at potentially using the county-owned rail line for a bike trail after the operator of a tourist train on the line cancelled its winter trains for the second year in a row." more...
- NC: Volunteers keep Cape Fear Mountain Bike Trail in shape
- OK: Stephens County towns part of bike route
- UK: Warnings after metal traps found on mountain trail in Caerphilly
ODOT's Bike Routes Plan
Bluffton, OH - "Ohio Department of Transportation's long-range plan, called Access Ohio 2040, hopes to coordinate efforts with local communities to designate Ohio's first U.S. and State Bike Route network." more...
Ohio State Chosen to Lead U.S. Transpo Solutions
Columbus, OH - "U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx announced this week that The Ohio State University has been named one of 18 institutions across the country to lead research on transportation challenges outlined in the Department of Transportation's Beyond Traffic 2045 report." more...
Park District Continues Growth at 50 Years
Miami County, OH - "The Miami County Park District has grown over the decades from a five-acre park along the Stillwater River to 15 parks spread across the county." more...
Bill Would Ban Cyclists From Roads
MT - "Bicyclists from around the state are rallying against a proposed bill that would ban bicyclists and pedestrians from using virtually every two-lane road in the state that doesn't have a paved shoulder." more...
- IN: High water closes portions of Columbus People Trails
- OR: New bike trail opens along Mill Race in Springfield
- SD: Nearly 1 million people used the bike trail in 2016
- NY: Bicycling lanes to be expanded on East Side
- NJ: Part of Phillipsburg's past reopens as Morris Canal Greenway
- GA: Forsyth County cruises ahead with bike share plan
- OR: ODOT will install new bike path in location where Martin Greenough died
Northern Towpath Section Receives Funding
Cleveland, OH - "...Stage 4 of the Towpath Trail Extension will run 1.5 miles from Literary Ave. to the future Canal Basin Park in Downtown Cleveland's Flats. This stage will be the final northern Towpath connection between Tremont and Downtown Cleveland." more...
Cyclists Give Input on Proposed Trail
Youngstown, OH - "The area's leading bicycle club was vocal Thursday afternoon about what they want in a proposed trail linking downtown Youngstown to Mill Creek Park." more...
Chinese BikeShare Co. Eyes San Fran
San Francisco, CA - "Bluegogo, an app-based bike-share company, plans to launch in the city within days, but local politicians are stepping in to put the brakes on it." more...
PlacesForBikes Initiative Launched
"...The new program will jumpstart the construction of bike-friendly infrastructure, as it helps develop, connect, and promote great places to ride..." more
- IL: Trail to connect community
- WI: County plans to buy land to make Capital City State Trail safer
- CA: New bike paths coming to Santa Cruz
- CA: Green vision for former railroad tracks
- IRE: Top-down approach for Dublin-Galway Greenway has been a failure
- NH: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Merrimack County
- WA: Burke-Gilman Trail detoured for landslide work
- TX: Pedestrian/bike bridge coming to Brays Bayou Greenway
- OR: Portland nonprofit provides special tricycles for people with special needs
Stark County Trails Flooding Report
Stark County, OH - "Heavy rains and flooding closed several trails across Stark County in early January. The Middle Branch Trail, south of Martindale Ave., remains closed after heavy flooding in that area. All other trails have been reopened with temporary repairs made..." more
Trail Design Costs Shock Council Members
Hudson, OH - "...The design for Phase III of the Veterans Trail which extends from downtown to Barlow Road will cost $250,000 for the design, according to City Engineer Thomas Sheridan." more...
Lima to be Part of Statewide Bike Route Network
Lima, OH - "...'This is really exciting stuff,' Elstro said. 'Some of this is already in place. You can go from Cincinnati to Lebanon and Piqua. This would put Lima on the map for bike networking.'" more...
Homeless Encampments along Trail Causing Problems
HI - "...The park used to be known for its view of Pearl Harbor but over the years its reputation has changed." more...
Bill Could Help Drivers Avoid Liability in Cyclists' Death
ND - "A new bill introduced in the North Dakota state legislature would legally relieve drivers of responsibility for hitting cyclists who impede traffic." more...
Trump's Inaugural Walk will be along a Bike Path
DC - "...The 1.8-mile inaugural procession down Pennsylvania Avenue dates back to Thomas Jefferson's second inauguration in 1805..." more
Could Fatbiking be as big as Snowboarding?
CA - "Fatbiking is booming, with more and more ski resorts introducing the sport, including Tahoe Donner in the Sierra Nevada..." more
Women-Only Internship Program
"QBP launches new initiative to get women on bikes and in shops." more...
- TN: Greenway governing body might ban horses
- CAN:Gardener sees no place for bikes on future greenway
- NC: Sick fox captured near greenway
- NY: Lt. Governor touts long bike trail
- KY: McCracken County invests in bike track to get kids active
- TX: Austin giving pedestrians, cyclists a piece of traffic light time
- OR: Biketown's 38,000 riders have boosted economy
- WA: Distracted driving law is written for flip phones
- CA: Costa Mesa to look at impacts of 1.3-mile bicycle trail through Talbert Regional Park
Hamilton Residents can Weigh in on Trail Proposal
Hamilton, OH - "The city of Hamilton begins a 14-day comment period today, Jan. 17, to accept environmental questions, comments or concerns about the proposed Beltline bike path." more...
Ground Work E-News
OH - Read the latest edition.
Greenway Crossings "A Disaster Waiting to Happen"
NYC - "Pedestrians and cyclists traveling along the Hudson River Greenway regularly face 'near-death experiences' at crossings along the route, advocates say." more...
The Rise of U.S. Protected Bike Lanes
"The PeopleForBikes Green Lane Project has been a five-year mission to accelerate the spread of protected bike lanes throughout the United States. Today is the project's final day." more...
Making the Case for Transpo Language Reform
"...Much of the technical vocabulary regarding transportation and traffic engineering was developed between 1910 and 1965..." more
- LA: Construction for Lafitte Greenway FitLot is underway
- WI: Bike trail discussions continue in Manitowish Waters
- IN: Boro council discusses bike trails
- FL: Why Does Florida Have America's Most Lethal Roads?
- OR: Commissioners adopts policy preference for protected bikeways
- WA: Cyclist critically injured in collision
- FRA: Paris Pushes Its Car-Free Streets Plan Even Further
- TX: West Houston Neighborhood Hopes To Encourage Commuters To Do Things Differently
Alum Creek Trail High Water Alert
Columbus, OH - From Franklin County MetroParks, "High water in areas between Cooper Park and I-270. Please use caution."
Park & Greenway Master Plan for Johnstown
Johnstown, OH - "Johnstown should have a Park and Greenway Master Plan this spring at no cost to the village." more...
USDOT Agrees to Measure People, not just Cars
"Because of your support, US DOT has acknowledged that biking and walking have a role to play in reducing congestion and improving air quality!" more...
Surge in Traffic Deaths Outpaces Increase in Travel
"Traffic deaths surged about 8% in the first nine months of last year, continuing an upward spiral that began in late 2014..." more
National Park Visits Hits Record High
Salt Lake City, UT - "Visits to U.S. national parks set a record in 2016 for the third consecutive year as landmarks such Zion, Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain experienced historic levels of popularity..." more
- OK: Volunteers Bring Forgotten Claremore Mountain Bike Trail Back To Life
- NY: Thieves return to Shoreline Bike Trail, take $5,000 in copper wiring
- MI: Credit union makes bike trail donation
- MS: Woman, 3 children located after being lost on bike trails
- GA: Forsyth considers bike sharing at parks
- CA: Brown Proposes $1 Billion for Active Transportation Program
Podcast: The Hilltop & Camp Chase Trail
Fate of Naples to Miami Trail Plan
FL - "The Collier Metropolitan Planning Organization will have to decide if it wants to keep plans alive to build a 75-mile bike path from Naples to Miami." more...
Trail System Could Draw Tourists
NY - "Lake George, Saratoga Springs and Fort Ticonderoga will be stops on Gov. Andrew Cuomo's proposed 'Empire State Trail,' a statewide system of bicycle and walking trails." more...
Pittsburgh Delays Plans to Help Bike Lane Critics
Pittsburgh, PA - "On Wednesday, Pittsburgh City Council tabled a bill that would create an advisory board on bike lane infrastructure with plans to take it up again next week after it's reworked." more...
Bike Path Could Link Nampa, Meridian & Boise
ID - "...Obstacles aside, one thing is certain about a Treasure Valley rail-with-trail: The possible end result is impressive." more...
Ice Can't Stop Man From Biking to Work
Wichita, KS - "...Callison came to Wichita in September, having bicycled from California to find a job..." more
- GA: Oatland Island Wolf Trail reopens after Hurricane Matthew
- WI: Bike Trail Hearing Shows Divided Support, Opposition
- MA: Bike Committee Seeks CPA Funds To Master New Trails
- DE: Delaware City marks completion of C&D Canal trails
- GA: Engineers submitting proposals to review for $21M Greenway project
Cyclist Sues City after Crash
Marietta, OH - "Injured bicyclist claims city failed to mark fire hose." more...
Closing the Trail Gap Between Genoa & Elmore
Input Needed for Proposed Trail in Youngstown
Youngstown, OH - "The public is being asked to give their input on a new recreational trail that would connect Downtown to Mill Creek Metroparks. more...
See a proposed map of the route.
Warren Planning to Add Trailhead
Little Miami Scenic Trail E-News
Read the latest newsletter.
Empire State Trail Would Expand Hudson River Valley Greenway
NY - "Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo on Tuesday proposed completing the Hudson River Valley Greenway and Erie Canalway trails by 2020 to create the Empire State Trail, a 750-mile network..." more
Pronto will Shut Down March 31
Seattle, WA - "...This officially ends a frustrating era for bike sharing in Seattle, making the city one of very few in the world where a modern public bike system has failed." more...
- NC: Concord approves $1.3M Greenway extension
- TX: Stretch of Sims Bayou Greenway to undergo million-dollar renovation
- PA: Swamp Creek Greenway Faces Initial Opposition
- DE: C&D bike trail segment complete, 14-mile path opens
- WI: Manitowish Waters fields mixed input on bike trails
- CA: Goleta Bicycle Project Updates
- KY: Grant could spur bike route development
- OR: Opposition to 40-Mile Loop trail project
Land Donated to Extend Towpath Trail
Towpath Trail Flooding
Stark County, OH - "Parts of the Ohio and Lake Erie Towpath Trail were shut down indefinitely due to high water, according to Rick Summers, operations manager for the Stark County Park District. Signs are posted in flooded areas north of Massillon and at other locations alerting trail users to keep their distance." more...
CVSR Ridership Reaches All-Time High
CVNP, OH - "...The excursion railroad that takes riders through Cuyahoga Valley National Park tallied 214,063 passengers in 2016, the highest number in its 44-year history..." more
No Evidence Bike Use Would Degrade Trails
PA - "There is no evidence that bike use of the area would degrade the trails at all and certainly to the point in which wilderness designation would be improbable." more...
60 Days for Killing a Cyclist?
"Yesterday was the sentencing hearing for the man who pleaded guilty to manslaughter in the death of my friend, Glenda Taylor. Glenda was struck and killed by Todd Kidwell at the Kansas State Time Trial Championships in June of 2015." more...
Filmmaker Wades into Trail Paving Debate
NC - "A local filmmaker will explore diversity and controversy in the Bolin Creek forest Sunday while raising money to help preserve the land." more...
- TN: Bike route could go through Athens
- GA: On Whitemarsh, preserve regulars say cleanup was overzealous
- WV: Mount Hope vows to be more bike-friendly
- NJ: Secaucus looking for greener tomorrow with $30K grant
- TX: Dallas spends $171,000 in bike lane dollars on consultant
- OR: Bill will make it easier for cities across Oregon to lower speed limits
Trump's In -- What Now?! Part 3
In Part 3 we take a final look at propaganda and the bike advocacy writers that choose to dispense it. more...
Downed Trees Along Sippo Valley Trail
Due to recent high winds, downed branches and trees can be expected along some Ohio trails this week.
Sharon Cole reports, "...several trees are down on the Sippo Valley Trail between Alabama and Deerfield Roads."
Lick Run Greenway Construction
Cincinnati, OH - "The Metropolitan Sewer District of Greater Cincinnati (MSD) is gearing up to construct the Lick Run Greenway, which includes a mile-long urban waterway in a park-like setting through the heart of South Fairmount." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Tell the Trump Administration: Trails Connect Us
"...Sign our petition below to urge the Trump administration to make sure trails, walking and biking are key parts of our nation's investment in transportation." more...
Citi Bike Launches Laserlight Pilot Program
NYC - "A bright idea is coming to New York City streets as Citi Bike launches a pilot of the Blaze Laserlight on 250 of its bikes..." more
Biketown Bike Share vs. Snowmaggedon
Portland, OR - "How does Biketown, Portland's bike share system, stack up against other modes of travel during extreme weather? How would it work -- or would it work at all -- during a major snowstorm?" more...
Most Dangerous U.S. Metros for Peds
"Between 2005 and 2014, more than 45,000 people were struck and killed by cars while walking in the United States. In the two years since, walking has only grown more dangerous." more...
- WY: Board concerned about trail closures
- MN: Plans to revitalize White Bear Lake bike paths
- CAN: Price tag for Icefields Trail Project jumps to $86.4 million
- IL: Chicago's South Loop Expands Use of Protected Bicycle Lanes
- NJ: Phillipsburg to open section of state-spanning greenway
- MA: New section of greenway open, ready for winter recreation
- LA: Phase one of downtown bike-friendly pathway completed
- TN: Nashville walkability ranking improves, death toll stays near 210
Cleveland's Deadliest Roads
Cleveland, OH - "138 Clevelanders were killed by a motor vehicle while walking on area streets between 2005 and 2014..." more
Environmental Study of Summit Lake
Akron, OH - "...The groups first must know how the community can use the 100-acre lake before attempting to improve the neighborhood..." more
51 PennDOT Projects to Improve Transpo Alternatives
PA - "...Making these improvements will enhance pedestrian and bicycle facilities, improve access to public transportation, create safe routes to school..." more
750-Mile Trail Plan for NY
NY - "...'We want to build the largest multi-use trail in the nation,' said the Democratic governor..." more...
Bike Path Attacks Prompt Self-Defense Class
Marquette, WI - "...Concerns about the bike path have spiked since the September 2015 brutal beating and rape of a 33-year-old woman just east of downtown, leaving her critically injured. Her attacker was never found." more...
Dangerous by Design 2016
"Between 2005 and 2014, a total of 46,149 people were struck and killed by cars while walking. That averages out to about 13 people per day." more...
- MI: Court rules against Sleeping Bear trail critics
- AL: Mobile to create Three Mile Creek Greenway Trail Management Plan
- FL: The missing trail link may be coming in Manatee
- ND: Homeless man's body found frozen in GF greenway
- MN: A new vision for Central Lakes Trail
- TX: Mayor, others talk trail benefits
- CO: Fat tires, slim choices
- PA: Cyclists in the Philly region get a big boost
- MN: MnDOT: Biking saves money, lives
- CO: Bike trail to Cheyenne Mountain summit
- CAN: Edmonton bike infrastructure in focus as snow falls
- WA: Don't stop the Broadway streetcar and bikeway
Katy Trail Becomes Nation's Longest
"A simple name change for a 47.5-mile trail in Missouri means the Katy Trail is now the longest rail-trail in the US. Washington's John Wayne Pioneer Trail, which had been No. 1 for several years, dropped to second place." more...
The Future of Transportation
"The Trump administration will take over at a time when transportation in the US is undergoing somewhat of a revolution..." more
Beyond Traffic: DOT's 30 Year Framework
"When the United States Department of Transportation was created, the Secretary of Transportation was charged by law to report on both the current and the anticipated future conditions of our nation's transportation system. Beyond Traffic 2045 is U.S. DOT's most comprehensive assessment of current and future conditions in decades." more...
The Complete Guide to 'Border Vacuums'
"...large-scale highways, parks, and big buildings can all divide communities, discouraging street life and sucking the life out of cities..." more
- DC: Bike-Share Cut Neighborhood Congestion 4 Percent
- NY: Landmark Decision Holding City Liable for Unsafe Street Designs
- WA: UW light rail station fuels bike theft
Columbus Ped Deaths Nearly Double
Columbus, OH - "...Although the number of people killed in traffic crashes citywide decreased slightly from 61 deaths in 2015 to 59 in 2016, the number of pedestrian deaths increased from 12 to 21." more...
Why Look at Fatal Bike Crash Reports?
OH - "Shortly after the new year began Ohio suffered its first fatal bicycle crash. We are still waiting to hear the details." more...
Bike Safety in Springdale
PA - "When a Springdale woman's car plowed into a group of five cyclists on the borough's Pittsburgh Street in early December, two riders were struck and expensive bikes were damaged." more...
Man Gets 35 Years in Prison for Hit-and-Run Spree
Woodland, CA - "...Houston, driving 20-30 mph faster than the teens were riding, intentionally ran them over with the SUV and sped away from the injured riders..." more
Fonta Flora Trail to Link Foothills, Mountains
NC - "...The newest unit of the North Carolina State Parks System, the Fonta Flora Trail aims to unify Western North Carolina towns from the foothills to the mountains, stringing together spots from Morganton to Asheville..." more
- LA: Portion of Mississippi River bike path and trail to open
- PA: Teamwork helps shape Turtle Creek Greenway
- TN: Walking in Nashville
- FL: Downtown Miami Pop-Up Turns Parking Into Parks
Proposed 3-Feet Law for KY
KY - Read the proposed bill.
Ann Arbor Secures Another Piece of Future Greenway
MI - "Another potential piece of the future Allen Creek Greenway trail through Ann Arbor is being put in place." more...
- MN: Deer carcasses, heads dumped near public trail
- CO: Keep the River Trail off limits to ebikes
- KY: Task Force updates on trail plans
- OR: Small projects target trails, parking, seed orchard
Bicyclist Killed Friday Morning
Columbus, OH - "A 35-year-old bicyclist was killed after he crossed into oncoming traffic early Friday morning in the North Side..." more
Bike Lane Guidelines
Cleveland, OH - "Questions about the how cars should interact with bike lanes, and how cyclists can make the most of them are common. The questions persist because both driver and cyclist education on the subject has not kept pace with the expansion of the infrastructure itself." more...
Wayne National Forest Trail Project
SE OH - "We are currently raising funds for Phase 1 of this project, which will include..." more
Bike Cleveland Welcomes New Staff Members
Cleveland, OH - "Bike Cleveland is excited to announce new staff members for 2017!..." more
Fear for How Uber Robot Cars Make Right Turns
Portland, OR - "The San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is so afraid of how Uber's autonomous vehicles take right turns at intersections that they've posted a warning for bike riders and have started a petition to force the company to end the practice." more...
More States Diverting Federal Walking/Biking Funds
"...Advocates in some states have successfully fought attempts to loot TA funds. Pedroso says motivated New Jersey advocates were able to convince the state DOT to reverse its decision to divert money." more...
Northland's Coast to Coast Trail Opens
NZ - "After many missed deadlines the northern-most of the 22 Great Rides that make up the New Zealand Cycle Trail is open all the way from Opua on the east coast to the Hokianga Harbour..." more
- WV: Harrison Rail Trail to discuss completing trail system
- CT: Movement to complete state's trails gaining momentum
- TN: Legacy Parks begins third decade
- IA: Cyclists flexing their muscle to stop reroute of Great Western Trail
- CAN: Canadian hiker rescued from White Mountains
- PA: Studies show bike lanes can reduce congestion
- WA: Memorial for Nellie Yelli Saturday
Council OKs RiverTrail Project Manager
Marietta, OH - "Marietta City Council authorized the hiring of a project manager Thursday night to ensure engineering for the Ohio River Trail connection..." more
Cincy Downtown Traffic Study
Cincinnati, OH - "The City of Cincinnati hasn't reviewed downtown traffic patterns in more than 20 years -- just ask anyone who walks, drives, bikes or rides the streetcar." more...
MassDOT Shift Bike Strategy from Trails back to Streets
MA - "...After years spent developing dedicated bike paths, the Massachusetts Department of Transportation plans to focus on making everyday streets more accommodating to bike transportation, including in the Berkshires." more...
Safes Routes to School
Read the January E-News.
50-Year Vision for Bicycle Thruways
Detroit, MI - "How will we be getting around Detroit in 50 years? How will our major streets incorporate different modes of transportation?..." more
Drunk Driver Gets Prison Term for Killing Cyclist
Toronto, CAN - "A 23-year-old repeat drunk driver who killed a Toronto cyclist and fled police at 200 kilometres per hour has been sent to prison." more...
Madrid Will Ban Cars From Its Main Street
Spain - "Visit Madrid's Gran Via in five years' time and you won't find a car in sight." more...
Side-Street Bikeways Great if You have Protected Bike Lanes
"Can we, as a planet, please retire the idea that cities face a choice between putting all-ages bikeways on low-traffic side streets and putting all-ages bikeways on busy arterials?" more...
- TN: Voters Support Increased Spending on Biking and Walking
- LA: Lafitte Greenway to undergo renovations
- CT: Guilford Officials Express Doubt over Greenway Trail
- FL: Some Lehigh residents fear bike path could hurt property values
- AR: Trails For Transportation Not Just Recreation
- MA: Gearing up to improve Metro-Boston's bike share
- WA: 2016 was the year of bike plan delays, will 2017 be any better?
- OR: Where some see historic trail connection, others fear a home for urban campers
Road & Trail Improvements Slated for Loveland
Columbus Greenway wins Landscape Award
Columbus, OH - "...The Greenways have transformed Columbus's downtown riverfront through the use of green space reclaimed from the removal of the Main Street Dam..." more
Vancouver's Cycling-Friendly Side Streets
CAN - "...Sixty per cent of the 280 kilometres of Vancouver bike lanes are on side streets..." more
- VA: New bridge and Roanoke River Greenway section planned
- CT: No Public Comment at Shoreline Greenway
- TX: City opens new hike, bike trail
- WY: Proposals could restrict riding access
- CA: Millions in grants to fund regional trail gap closures
- OR: Portland steps up safety resolve following a deadly December
- WA: $3.6M paving project must make 25th Ave NE safer
Geneva-on-the-Lake Council Seeking Grants
Geneva-on-the-Lake, OH - "...One [resolution] allows the village to apply for a Transportation Alternative Program (TAP) grant to help pay for constructing a bicycle easement path through the village to encourage tourism and provide greater safety for cyclists." more...
Park District Achievements in 2016
Granville, OH - "As 2016 fades into memory, the Licking Park District is also looking expectantly toward 2017..." more
Motorist Buzzes Cyclists, Tells Them to Get Off Road
CA - "Two videos have been posted online showing an incredibly close pass by a motorist pulling a trailer and the subsequent encounter between the driver and the two cyclists." more...
Colorado Springs Removing Disputed Bike Lane
CO - "The city of Colorado Springs will scrap a wide bike lane along Research Parkway." more...
Wichita Selects $1.6M in Trail Projects
Wichita, KS - "Three bike paths in Wichita will be expanded this year after the Wichita City Council on Tuesday approved $1.6 million in funding." more...
Protected Intersections in U.S.: From 0 to 12 in 2 Years
"The country's newest major bike-lane innovation is very young. But so far, it's spreading faster than the protected bike lane did." more...
Saferails: A New Safety Concept for Cyclists
"...I have written about how sometimes cyclists and streetcar tracks don't mix. And this is not just a North American problem..." more
- CT: Addressing public concerns on Greenway Trail
- OR: Local group revitalizes mountain bike trails at Shellburg Falls
- DE: DelDOT eyes 2018 construction start for Rehoboth trail extension
- AZ: Maricopa Trail is county supervisor's lasting legacy
- PA: New Philly area trails show 2016 wasn't all bad
- NYC: Vision Zero Demands Bolder Street Designs
- OR: Portland's new mayor biked to work in freezing temps
- OR: Concepts for 'North Reach' of South Waterfront Greenway path
Yay Bikes! 2016 Annual Report
Columbus, OH - "Yay Bikes! influences the conditions that help people safely and comfortably ride bicycles for transportation." more...
German Village Looking to Improve Sidewalks
Columbus, OH - "...German Village residents have said in surveys that one of their biggest priorities is getting their bumpy, wavy sidewalks fixed." more...
Feds Demand RTA Repay $12M
Cleveland, OH - "The debate over whether or not Public Square should be a thruway for buses has come to a head. A federal agency has demanded that the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority repay $12 million in federal grants." more...
Hands-Free Phones are no Better when Driving
"...a new study from Queensland University of Technology has determined that using a phone in hands-free mode is just as distracting as a hand-held phone." more...
Cyclists & Runners Take Stand Against Trail Rules
Oklahoma City, OK - "...They wanted to show their solidarity against a new city park rule that would keep pedestrians off of a natural bike trail." more...
Paper Bike Helmet wins Award
"...The EcoHelmet is made from recycled paper, and is constructed in a radial honeycomb pattern that is said to distribute blows 'from any direction as effectively as traditional polystyrene,' while also being able to fold up flat when not in use..." more
- TX: Shiloh Bike Trail Now Open
- TX: Walnut Springs Trail Paves Way for Seguin Growth
- NC: Guilford College students learn sustainable trails
- CO: Those with disabilities to be closer to outdoor activities
- AR: Rogers trails keep growing
- WA: Woman killed in crosswalk hit and run
- NY: NYC Now Has Continuous 9-Mile Bikeway
Pathways To Healthy Aging Project
South Williamsport, PA - "...thanks to a donation from the community cycling advocates, David and Louisa Stone, they will be able to explore the Riverwalk trail on wheels - specifically three wheels!" more
Separating Bikes & Peds Along Lakefront may be Tricky
Chicago, IL - "...the separation of the 18-mile Chicago Lakefront Trail into pedestrian and bicycle paths, planned over the next two years, will raise its own design puzzles." more...