2018 News Archive
Links are not maintained in the Archive.
The Rise and Fall of China’s Cycling Empires
"China’s bike-sharing firms were supposed to be the next big thing..." more
- CT: ‘Llama walks’ bring visitors to local trails
- GA: Honoring Atlanta’s top 2018 wins for walking, biking
- CT: Middletown’s Jonah Center focusing on pedestrian, cyclist access
- TX: Some legislators pushing to fully fund busy state parks
Lake Trail Becomes "Speedway" for Bicycles
FL - "...Coniglio said she has contacted a couple of bicycle clubs to remind them there’s a 10-mph speed limit on the trail and that bicyclists must yield to pedestrians." more...
Development Costs Could Sink Potential 144-Mile Trail Corridor
Eugene, MO - "...Park officials said they're concerned with the potential cost of developing the corridor, which could hurt the state's ability to operate existing parks..." more
Lime Lobbies for Embracing Scooters
NC - "...instead of embracing this subsidy-free solution, the City Council seems bent on suffocating it." more...
- CA: San Fran’s ambitious goal to eliminate traffic deaths slipping
- CT: Grand opening for Weston rail trail slated for next summer
- NY: Rail Trail Controversy Shows Master Plan Has Teeth
- IRE: Steady progress with various Grand Canal Greenway plans
Drunk Driver Kills Cyclist
Butler County, PA - "David Lohr, 51, of Oak Court is facing aggravated assault and DUI charges after allegedly striking a cyclist and dragging him..." more
New East Coast Greenway Section Opens
Bolton, CT - "A new 3-mile section of the East Coast Greenway has opened in Eastern Connecticut." more...
Falling Tree Kills Woman at Smoky Mountains Park
Gatlinburg, TN - "A woman from Texas has been killed by a tree knocked down by high winds..." more
London Bike Share Bikes Hired 35,000 Times on Christmas Day
UK - "On Christmas Day there were no buses operating in London. Nor were there any Tube trains or trams. River taxis were also taking the day off..." more
- NE: Lincoln's bike-share program rolling into second year
- NY: Staten Island's top 2018 transportation stories
- MO: Community members clean up park to make bike path
- CAN: Rail trail campaign highlights 2018
- OK: Mountain biking impacting Claremore economy
- FL: Father of doctor killed in bicycle crash has questions
- NY: Rail bike company sues train line owner
Towpath Connection Construction Expected in 2019
Bolivar, OH - "...The grant will help fund the connection McDonnell Trailhead on the border of Stark and Tuscarawas counties with existing Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail heading toward Bolivar. Pending approval, work on this section of trail is expected to begin in 2019." more...
Nature Center Planned for Former Pump House
Resident Speaks Out for Bike Safety on Roads
Granger Twp., OH - "...DeVon Griffin said he found out the trustees had rejected Bike Medina County’s proposal to add signs to township roads enforcing the State of Ohio’s 3-foot passing law for vehicles passing bicycles and expressed his views on the matter as a bicyclist..." more
Thieves Stealing Bikes From Homeless
Grand Rapids, MI - " It’s a crime that would even make the Grinch flinch: people are stealing bikes from the homeless." more...
NYC Traffic Fatalities Lower, But Ped Deaths Climb
NYC - "...a slightly higher number of pedestrians and motorcyclists died this year than in 2017, stats show..." more
Google Mapping the Queenstown Trail
NZL - "...Google has been mapping the 120km trail for the past couple of weeks, as part of a project led by the Queenstown Trails Trust and the Queenstown Lakes District Council Parks and Reserves team." more...
Section of River Trail Opens for Skating
CAN - "The Forks said the rink on the river at the port is now open, with extensions of the Red River Mutual Trail to follow, provided the weather cooperates." more...
Hellobike Raises Millions, Despite Bike-Sharing Woes
"Today news broke that Hellobike, a China-based bike-sharing startup, has raised a new raft of cash..." more
- MA: 2019 will be another big year in Boston transportation
- AL: Flooding at Indian Creek Greenway catches citizens off guard
- TN: Murfreesboro neighbor fights town house development near greenway
- WA: Greenway rape suspect sentenced to life in prison with minimum of 16 years
- IRE: GST greenway vies with 20 projects
- UK: Anger as new walking and cycling route not prioritised
- CA: report calls for more park and trail connectivity
- TX: Person of interest identified in slaying of father riding bike
- MA: Train Station Bike Thief Caught
- TX: Serial thief arrested after allegedly stealing bike
Towpath Trailhead Improvements in Bolivar
OH - "Parking at McDonnell Trailhead along the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail is now smoother and safer for visitors of the trail...
To continue reading, see the latest edition of the Towpath Times.
Rails-to-Trails Case Progresses
Car Break-In at Lunken Airport Bike Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "...Lisa Graham said she came to the Lunken Airport Bike Trail the weekend before Christmas to walk her dogs, but when she came back to her vehicle, the window was shattered and her wallet was missing." more...
Where Can I Ride My E-Bike in the Cleveland Area?
OH - "...Before we can delve into where you can take them, a basic understanding of the categories is needed – as many of the restrictions are based upon them." more...
Feds Rule in Favor of Trail
Fishers, IN - "Federal regulators have ruled in favor of a plan to convert central Indiana's Nickel Plate Railroad corridor into a recreational trail." more...
Slight Climb in Gross Bike Sales
Boulder, CO - "...Year-to-date figures through November show a 4 percent increase in dollars and a 9 percent decrease in units." more...
Hit-and-Run Driver Kills Teen, Flees U.S.
Portland, OR - "...Law enforcement officials now say they believe Noorah got an illicit passport and boarded a plane — likely a private carrier — to flee the country." more...
- MO: Why wouldn’t Missouri accept donation for 144-mile hike and bike trail?
- TX: Suspect in hike-and-bike trail sexual assault was insane, judge rules
- MD: West OC Bike Path Review Raises Bridge Questions
- IL: Plans are to keep expanding Greenway Project
- IL: Potential Benefits of Electric Dockless Scooter-Sharing
New Gravel Grinders Website
OH - Check it out.
1st U.S. City with Over 2M Trips on Lime Bikes
Seattle, WA - "Lime’s recently-released year-end 2018 report boasts some staggering numbers for the bikeshare service, both in Seattle and across the globe." more...
Decapitation of Ashland Man Remains Unsolved
OR - "...The 23-year-old was walking on the bike path along the Bear Creek Greenway near Hunter Park when someone nearly decapitated him." more...
Cars Kill More Kids Than Guns Do
"A new study looks at causes of deaths among children..." more
- NY: Niagara Falls seeks input on becoming more bike-friendly
- LA: Lafitte Greenway lighting under repair as officials plot better security
- MN: Regional Trail bridge officially connects two states, three counties
- AK: Group looks to make Beaver Loop Road bike friendly
- ID: E-bike program sounds like a good deal for city, UI
Cannonball Trail Year-End Updates
NW OH - "...We have accomplished much this year from our [Cannonball] trail extension on south fork into Liberty Center, our involvement w/ Williams County active Transportation plan committee, the establishment of trailhead/ w parking lot on Williams cty RD 17, to the improvement of our Oak Savanna in Fulton county and much more." more...
Bikes and Ohio Laws
Cleveland, OH - "We have updated our Bikes and the Law page with help from our supporters at Knabe Law Firm Co., LPA and the Ohio Bike Lawyer - Steve Magas. It's a good refresh for what your rights are, your responsibilities as a rider, and ... your responsibilities when you are the one behind the wheel of an automobile." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest news.
More MTBiking Options Coming in 2019
Glen Jean, WV - "Mountain biking options in southern West Virginia will be expanding next year, thanks to a new partnership..." more
Greenway Sues City of Yakima
WA - "The City of Yakima is being sued over its decision to rezone land near the Yakima Greenway for use as a permanent homeless shelter." more...
E-Bikes Voted Down on JoCo Parks Trails
MO - "...The county Park & Recreation District’s Board of Commissioners on Wednesday voted against a proposal that would have allowed visitors to use e-bikes and electronic unicycles on the 15-mile Gary L. Haller Trail..." more
North Dakota’s National Parks Remain Open During Shutdown
ND - "...The National Park Services says national parks in North Dakota will remain 'as accessible as possible' during the partial shutdown." more...
Latest Shift Up Podcast
Denver, CO - "In the latest Shift Up podcast, host Arleigh Greenwald takes her regular quarterly look at the State of the Industry..." more
- HI: Kona bikeshare to expand
- CA: Glen Park GoBike station could add congestion
- AR: Little Rock Partners With E-Scooter Company To Launch Pilot Program
- MN: Council approves agreements for bike, pedestrian transportation plan
- NY: Newark gets state funding for canal trail improvements
- CA: Larkspur bike route upgrade cleared for $10.6M boost
ToleGO Bikes will Stay Out for the Winter
Toledo, OH - "...They’re specially fabricated to endure the cold, wet winter months and can be ridden so long as the roads and sidewalks are clear." more...
Parents Rally for Safer Streets
Cincinnati, OH - "...Two more students went to the hospital this week with injuries after drivers struck them on their walks to school through West Price Hill." more...
Friends of Madison County Parks & Trails E-News
Madison County, OH - Read the latest edition.
Cyclists Aid Man in Distress
Bellevue, NE - "A group of men are being hailed as heroes after finding a man who had been trapped in a car in a creek all night." more...
Cyclists Say Reconstruction Plan Puts Them in Danger
NYC - "A plan to reconstruct the rotunda over Riverside Park at 79th Street does not include a protected bike lane, a factor that angered some residents who attended a meeting last week." more...
The Weirdest Places We Found Scooters
"Scooters were everywhere in 2018. Here’s proof." more...
Government Shutdown & the Towpath Trail
Based on shutdowns during the previous administration, here's what you can expect: The trail should be open, but some (or all) of the facilities may be closed, as staff may not be available to maintain them.
Here's the official word from the National Parks website, "...Some national parks may remain accessible to visitors; however, access may change without notice. Some parks are closed completely. Some visitor services may be available when provided by concessioners or other entities. For most parks, there will be no National Park Service-provided visitor services, such as restrooms, trash collection, facilities, or road maintenance..." more
Simon Kenton Trail Section Closing Dec. 26
Urbana, OH - "Weather permitting, a section of the Simon Kenton Trail, South of Urbana, from State Route 55 to Hickory Grove Road, will be totally closed beginning Wednesday, December 26th-Friday, December 28th..." more
The "Bicycle Beltway" Vision
D.C. - "...the “Bicycle Beltway,” formally known as the National Capital Trail, would be a 60-mile loop circling the region and crossing through Maryland. Virginia and the District..." more
Officers Track Down Stolen Kids Bikes in Time for Christmas
CA - "A family has law enforcement to thank for tracking down two stolen bicycles intended for children who lost their bikes in the Carr Fire." more...
Plan to Route Pathway Through St. Louis
MO - "The face of St. Louis is changing thanks to the proposed Chouteau Greenway..." more
- TN: Explore Bike Share poised for 2019 growth
- TX: New bicycle, pedestrian plan for Lubbock
- CT: Litchfield Bancorp donates to community greenway effort
- TN: Snag with Dayton greenway project could be blessing
- VT: New Bike Path Work Is Underway on Barre Street
2018 was the Year of the Scooter
"...They could also be the kick in the butt that cities need to demand safe streets." more...
E-Bike Industry Requests Exemption from Tariffs
"PeopleForBikes and the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association have submitted requests on the industry's behalf for exemption from the 25 percent tariff on Chinese-made e-bikes that took effect last summer..." more
6 Things D.C. has Learned About Scooters & Dockless Bikes
D.C. - "Overall ridership increased significantly, but the growth was uneven across the city." more...
Zwift Secures $120M Investment
Long Beach, CA - "...The company, which started with a gaming-style virtual riding experience, has expanded into a running game and non-gaming indoor training options..." more
- FL: A trail that could transform walking in Jacksonville
- IL: Common-sense ideas for improving bike safety in Naperville
- FL: BikeWalkLee declares it’s Complete Streets Champion of the Year
North Coast Inland Trail Progress
Huron County, OH - "...The connector from the east end of the bridge to SR 60 and the Wakeman US 20 bikeway will be completed in the coming months. The final section of trail in Lorain County west of Kipton is now paved and open as is the US 20 Bikeway."
For more Huron County NCIT news, check out FRTTI's latest newsletter.
Navy Pier Flyover Partially Opens for Bikers
Chicago, IL - "Those who use the Lakefront Trail will now be able to avoid some downtown traffic." more...
Seattle & Bellevue Make Best New Bikeways List
WA - "Seattle and Bellevue both turned heads nationally with protected bike lanes that opened this year, making People For Bikes’ list of 'America’s 10 Best New Bikeways of 2018'." more...
RTC is Stronger Than Ever
"...We have grown significantly in the past two decades, seizing new opportunities to first build rail-trails and now to maximize those trails by connecting them with each other. Today, we have powerful initiatives underway designed to catalyze the development of trail networks nationwide." more...
- OR: City will stripe unprotected bike lanes on N Denver
- OR: Opposition to TriMet’s Gideon Overcrossing project
- ID: Bike share program expected at UI, Moscow this spring
- MD: Despite scooters, gridlock continues in Baltimore
- CO: DU Leads the Way in Multimodal Transportation
- SC: Swamp Rabbit Trail extension progress unclear
- CT: Bridgeport Council backs Pequonnock bike trail
- CA: New Carpinteria bike path will have far reaching connections
- CAN: Residents get say on options for Byron gravel pit
- NH: Moose Mountains Regional Greenways receives LCHIP grant
- CA: Marin North-South Greenway gets $10 million
Alum Creek Trail Connector Paved
$90M Indiana Trail Program
IN - "By the year 2020, Indiana wants to put a hiking and biking trail within 5 miles of every Hoosier." more...
AVs Allowed Back on Streets in Pittsburgh
PA - "...PennDOT issued Uber’s official 'letter of authorization' allowing the company to return its robot cars to city streets in autonomous mode for the first time since March, following a fatal accident in Tempe, Ariz." more...
20.9 Miles of Protected Bike Lanes Built This Year
NYC - "...The shortfall in protected bike lane installation comes as the city is headed for one of the safest years in history, with fewer than 200 roadway fatalities for the first time..." more
Man Claims to Have Completed Coast-to-Coast Self-Driving Trip
"If true, it would be the longest recorded autonomous road trip without human intervention." more...
- OR: Proposed bill would clarify definition of bike lanes
- GA: City looks to bridge the gap with the new Follow Me Trail
- CA: Uber’s JUMP Enters San Diego’s Burgeoning Dockless Scooter Market
- NC: More bike trail work approved
- CT: Clearing a Way Forward with the Shoreline Greenway Trail
- GA: Brookhaven to redo eminent domain vote
Proposed Solon Trail "Stuck in the Mud"
Solon, OH - "It's a tough road that the proposed Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail is traveling." more...
MORPC Proposes $21M in Federal Projects
OH - "The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission has proposed more than $21 million in federal funding for projects such as the Olentangy Trail and improvements to Fishinger Road in Upper Arlington." more...
Bike Share Programs See What Attracts Riders
Harrisburg, PA - "A full year into bike share programs in some midtate cities, communities have a better idea of what works and what doesn't." more...
Senator Allegedly Parks in Bike Lane
NY - "Kevin Parker sent the taunt to a senate staffer who noted his parking placard was found on a car in a Manhattan bike lane." more...
Final Vote Looms for Created Butte Trail
CO - "The 'high-priority' 83-mile trail will encounter highways, rivers and neighbors concerned about limiting the impact on wildlife and the environment as the state pursues a more expansive trail connection." more...
Residents Want Trail, Not Train
Santa Cruz, CA - "Supporters of Santa Cruz County Greenway presented signatures Tuesday of 10,000 county residents on a petition backing a trail instead of a train on the 32-mile rail corridor..." more
Uber's New Jump E-Bikes
"New features include swappable batteries, retractable locks, and a phone mount." more...
82 Bike Friendly Businesses
"Today, the League of American Bicyclists is honoring 82 businesses in 30 states with its prestigious Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB) designation. This award recognizes companies for their efforts to promote and support active, healthy transportation options for their employees, customers, and guests." more...
Are E-Scooter Unsafe?
"...The CDC is gearing up to do the first authoritative study of e-scooter safety. The study will examine 68 e-scooter injuries that took place over a two-month period in Austin..." more
- MA: Salem Bike Share Gets A Push From Blue Cross
- UK: Uber’s JUMP bike-share scheme planning to launch in UK and Ireland
- MD: Cleveland Avenue changes reduced congestion
- NJ: 44 acres of forest preserved in Byram
- WI: Possible bicycle train connection between La Crosse and La Crescent
- WI: Fat bike trails coming to Kewaunee County
- FL: Teen Killed on Bicycle in Pembroke Pines Wasn't Hit-and-Run Victim
- CA: $5.6M Bike, Pedestrian Pathway Set for Construction in Chula Vista
- MT: A better way to pay for sidewalks
- UK: London's new official plan for cycling is bold but has a major flaw
- BEL: "Murder Strip" is not just a Word of the Year 2018
- OR: Oregon’s bike tax revenue is far below expectations
- FL: Birthday boy robbed at gunpoint, has bicycle stolen
Towpath Trail Construction Updates
WKU Bike Share Eyes Expansion
KY - "After a fleet of bikes arrived this month on Western Kentucky University’s campus as part of a new way for students and staff to get around, the program is eyeing expansion into downtown Bowling Green." more...
Dad Confronts Bike Thief
Nitro, WV - "...Clark said he was on his way into work, just hours after the theft, when he saw that same suspect, in the same clothes, walking over the bridge with his daughter's bike." more...
The Rock Island Trail Would be Game-Changer
MO - "...The planned Rock Island Trail would intersect the Katy Trail, a popular 240-mile rail-trail route that traverses the rolling terrain along the Missouri River. It also would link up with a recently opened 47-mile segment, the Rock Island Spur of Katy Trail State Park, which connects the Katy Trail to the greater Kansas City area..." more
London's Cycling Action Plan
UK - "...This five-year plan sets out the timescale for tripling the number of protected cycleways since Khan came to office and also reveals new quality standards for cycling infrastructure." more...
Google Maps Recommending Lime Bikes Option
Seattle, WA - "Lime’s bikes and scooters now show up as a transit option in Google Maps in a select number of cities..." more
The Pedestrian Strikes Back
"Officials in several countries are getting the message: Cities are about people, not cars." more...
Panic Ensues Over Ofo Refunds
"Troubled bike-share startup Ofo, which has been quitting cities around the planet this year, has a fresh crisis – millions of people are demanding their deposits back." more...
- WA: Tents blocking sidewalks, steep sidewalk grades
- NY: Here’s a Solution for Fixing the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
- FL: Cardiologist killed by driver in Maitland bicycle crash
- UT: Teen arrested ifor breaking into business for 3rd time to steal a bike
- TX: Waco considers expanding bike sharing pilot program to include scooters
- TN: Phase I in Greenway Project gets state okay
- NC: Council: Build I-87 with bike trail
- KY: Mountain bike trail to be developed in Barren County
Water on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "The #HockingRiver is cresting this morning, and it is currently flooding the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway at the low culvert between Stimson Ave and the US33 overpass. The waters are predicted to recede and the path should be passable by tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018." more...
NCIT Clearing in Norwalk
New Trails & Bike Lanes Coming to Dayton
OH - "West Dayton has few bike lanes but some major projects in the works will make it easier to ride a bicycle there." more...
West Philly Residents Form Transit Task Force
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia continues to see more traffic deaths than any county in the state." more...
Changes Planned to Boost Bike Share Ridership
Lancaster, PA - "...The main problem, several would-be users told LNP, is the limited number of pick-up and drop-off locations..." more
Bird Scooters Taking a Bath
"Why do people keep throwing electric scooters into rivers and lakes?.." more
- GA: Wait is finally over for trail spanning Victory Drive in Columbus
- CAN: More bike lanes proposed
- WI: Historic Belleville train depot on its way to new life and use
- NC: Weather delays work on Wilson’s first greenway
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Totals
Urbana, OH - "...We are 'Over the Top' on the Honda of America paving challenge with a final amount donated by the November 30th deadline of $30,250.
"...[Honda's] $25,000 match brings the amount in the paving fund to $55,250 at the end of November..." more
New Opportunity for Marquette Greenway Funding
IN - "The Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission's hope for a federal grant to pay most of the cost of completing the Marquette Greenway was disappointed last week..." more
E-Scooters Normalize Scooting for Adults
NZL - "...While the lime scooter craze continues its popularity in Auckland and Christchurch, other Kiwis are opting for foot-powered scooters - including dusting off their childhood, metal-framed scooters for their commute." more...
- CO: Slow down on bike trail proposal
- MT: Trails, bike paths worth $2 a month
- IRE: Girl rushed to hospital after being hit by tree while cycling during storm
Towpath Section Closes Until Spring
Peninsula, OH - From NPS.gov, "The Towpath is closed between Deep Lock Quarry and Hunt Farm [in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park] for bridge replacement through early spring. There are no detours available."
Big Walnut Creek Trail Bridge Connector
Gahanna, OH - "New Big Walnut Creek Trail bridge connector between Ol Ridenour Rd (Gahanna golf course/Lower McCorkle Park) and E. Johnston Rd/Mill St at Cherrybottom Rd. 2018-2019 construction project..." more
Hoosier National Forest Trail Use Permits Available
IN - "The Hoosier National Forest, operated by the U.S. Forest Service, has more than 260 miles of recreational trails, spread over nine counties..." more
Striped Sign Poles in Seattle
"...When you approach an intersection in Seattle, the stripes immediately show you whether people entering the intersection from other directions must stop..." more
Suspect Held in Bike Test-Ride Thefts
CA - "Police here have arrested a suspect in a series of thefts at Southern California bike shops in which fake identification and credit cards were used to take high-end bikes out on test rides and never return them." more...
NABSA Includes Micro-Mobility Plans for 2019
"The North American Bike-share Association (NABSA) has unveiled its strategic vision for 2019, including plans to integrate shared micro-mobility options into its bike-shares." more...
- MD: Dockless Bike-Share Program Rolls into North Bethesda
- WA: Renton tables bikeshare program, for now
- CO: Man’s super app tracks Denver dockless bikes and scooters
- LA: Possible accidental delivery of Bird electric scooters has officials chirping
- OR: New diverters part of plan to keep drivers off side streets
- SD: E-Bikes Could Soon Hit the Sioux Falls Bike Path
- WA: Bellevue installs new bike-safe bus platform
- FL: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Alachua County
- WA: Missing Link megastudy did not adequately address economic concerns
Stage 1 Towpath Bridge Installed
Cleveland, OH - "Thursday morning crews installed a 211 foot, 211,000 pound galvanized steel truss bridge spanning the Cuyahoga River that passes under Harvard Rd..." more
Board Recommends $26M for Recreation Projects
Lansing, MI - "A state panel has recommended awarding $26 million in grants for outdoor recreation projects and land purchases." more...
Detroit to Spend More on Bike Lane Snow Removal
MI - "The city of Detroit increased its residential snow plowing budget by 20 percent and bought equipment to help keep protected bike lanes clear." more...
Trail in Development at Meyer Broadway Park
MI - "...St. Joseph County Parks and Recreation Department plans to put finishing touches on a seven-mile trail. It has been developed as a loop inside a forested section of Meyer Broadway Park in Fabius Township." more...
Scout Reserve Opens 35-mile Bike Trail System
WV - "Area mountain bikers will soon be able to ride the Summit-Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve’s 35-mile network of mountain bike trails, as well as a dual-slalom course, a skills park and a dirt-jump learning zone, during the months the Reserve is not being used for Scouting encampments." more...
U.S. Driving Schools to Teach "Dutch Reach"
"You’ve just parked your car. It’s time to open the door and get out. Which hand do you use to reach for the handle?" more...
U.S. Leads World in Traffic Deaths
"A new report on global traffic deaths illustrates exactly why the U.S. trails the developed world on traffic safety..." more
- CO: Bike lane controversy heats up in Colorado Springs
- OR: Let us take trikes on MAX
- WA: WSDOT is testing out a less bumpy gap cover on the 520 Bridge trail
- VT: Changing Mountain Bike Advocacy and Building a Ton of Trail in the Process
- VA: Court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail
- GA: Brookhaven begins work on Greenway’s ‘model mile’
- OR: Greenway Sweeps estimated to cost taxpayers $72,000 per year
- VA:City Reacts to News of Bike Trail Improvements
- IA: Officials vote to not allow road crossing at popular trail
- GA: CAT ending bike share program in new year
- KS: Fort Scott introduces new "Bike Share" program
- OR: Bike-share program logs nearly 150,000 miles in first six months
- CA: City Launches ‘Pace’ Bike Share Program
- CA: Ford GoBike adds e-bikes to East Bay fleet
- GA: Chatham Area Transit ending bikeshare program
Hit-and-Run Driver Hunted by FBI
"...The pursuit and arrest of Chan Reyes is notable not only because it spanned the globe, but because authorities don’t often go to such lengths when a cyclist is killed..." more
Concerns Raised about Self-Driving Program Before Fatal Collision
"An 890-word email was sent to Uber’s executives that raised safety concerns about the company’s autonomous vehicle program just days before an Uber vehicle killed a pedestrian in Arizona last March..." more
County Restricts Cannabis Operations Near Trails
CA - "...Supervisors’ unanimous vote made that policy official when it comes to buffers between county trails and pot businesses. The county now will require 1,000-foot setbacks from such trails..." more
- GA: Why are pedestrian and bicyclist deaths increasing in metro Atlanta?
- NM: City faces upwards of $400 million in needed sidewalk, curb repairs
- OR: Bird trying to get back on the street in Portland
- WA: Seattle Bike Advisory Board Chair dismissed by mayor
- FL: Pinellas County student hit by car while riding bike to school
- OR: Man, 87, reunited with stolen $2,700 bike
- CAN: Charrette to take place for the 100 Street Greenway
- CA: Jump Electric Bikes Inches into the Portola
- NE: See how much bike lanes cost vs. traffic lanes for Lincoln
- IA: Bicycles top of mind in Cedar Rapids plans
- CA: Community voices support, concerns on Mt. Tam e-bike use
- NC: Franklin looks at greenway connection
- IRE: Kilkenny Greenway will be link in regional chain
$340K Secured for Epic Trail Corridor
WV - "...[these funds] will specifically help acquire three segments of disused CSX corridor totaling 3.35 miles along a developing 150-mile stretch of rail-trail from Parkersburg to the state’s border with Pennsylvania." more...
Ann Arbor's Rapidly Shifting Mobility Landscape
MI - "This time last year, most Ann Arborites thought of scooters as a children's toy..." more
MoBo Providing Adaptive Alternative Bike Share Options
"...Programs in cities like Detroit have only recently started offering adaptive alternatives while cities like New York and Chicago don’t offer adaptive bikes..." more
Cycling Advocate Hit by Truck on Highway
CA - "A cycling safety advocate is in critical condition as a result of injuries she suffered when she was hit by a truck while biking in Encinitas." more...
Rails-to-Trails Call to Action
"America’s next great rail-trail could be a world-class tourism draw, connecting dozens of small towns and bringing millions of dollars to local communities.
"Or it could be lost forever, if officials turn down a historic offer to preserve this 144-mile rail corridor.
"Speak out now to help keep America’s next great rail-trail on track!" more...
- D.C.: Bicycling group wants to charge cars to enter the city
- CA: Cop Races Down Howard Bike Lane
- MA: Bike-sharing boomed in the Boston area in 2018
- CHN: GPS bike-share program in China credited with reducing gridlock and smog
- UK: Collaboration Is Key For Cardiff Bike Share Success
- CA: Mill Valley snags ‘bike-friendly’ designation
- CHN: Amid GDPR Probe, Mobike To Sell Europe Branch
- NV: Hundreds Of Rental Bikes In Reno To Hibernate For Winter
- MO: Archaeological Survey for Trail Project to Begin Soon
- KS: Sex offender arrested in homeless camp shooting near Wichita bike path
- VA: County Readies Update of Cycling Infrastructure Plans
- UT: Fishing line tripwire found on bike path
Ohio Passes E-Bike Law
Columbus, OH - "Gov. John Kasich has signed a bill making Ohio the 11th state with an e-bike law supported by the industry." more...
Girard Seeks Funding to Cleanup Leatherworks Site
Girard, OH - "...Mayor James Melfi said he would like to see the grant application moved froward, so the city can get a jump on the recreational projects it has planned, such as bike trails." more...
New Millworks Owners Putting Down Roots
New Walking/Biking Trail Planned for Bridgeport
WV - "...the city has received a $120,000 Transportation Alternative grant through... to design a 2 mile trail connecting the Bridgeport Outdoor Recreation Complex to Compton Park." more...
Robbery Suspects Getaway on Lime Bikes
Seattle, WA - "Local bikeshares are meant to make it more convenient for Seattleites to get around; even, apparently, when they need a getaway vehicle after a robbery." more...
Driver Tells Cyclist He Can Safely Use Phone, Then Crashes
UK - "A cyclist called out a man for using his phone while driving. Moments later, the driver—who had insisted he could drive safely while on his phone—crashed his car..." more
- WA: Man recovering from Harvard Ave E hit and run Friday
- MA: Valley Bike Share program wraps up first season, eyes expansion
- IA: Cedar Rapids bike share back on for May 2019
- IA: Mason City bike-share program experiences challenging first year
- LA: Scooters storm Lafayette
- TX: Ofo customers wonder if they'll get refunds after service shuts down
- AUS: Can Lime scooters do what o-Bike couldn’t?
- IRE: BleeperBike in crowdfunding debut
- MA: Paved path breaks ground on Watertown-Cambridge Greenway
- TN: Dayton greenway project put on hold
- CA: Palm Trees Removed to Preserve Historic Encinitas Rail Trail
Fairfield Plans to Extend Great Miami Bike Trail
Fairfield, OH - "...That includes extending the Great Miami River trail, which ends in Fairfield at Waterworks Park, through Marsh Park and connecting it to the Hamilton County’s portion of the trail just south of the park." more...
Canal Fulton Looks to Improve Connectivity
Canal Fulton, OH - "The city is conducting a study to review sidewalk needs, improve connections between neighborhoods, improve accessibility to trails and recreation areas and encourage the use of bicycles." more...
More Clark County Kids will get Bikes this Year
Springfield, OH - "...This week, the Salvation Army teamed up with Walmart and Rollins Moving and Storage to complete shopping for more than 150 bikes to be delivered to Clark County kids during the holidays..." more
Council Members Want Transit App
Cincinnati, OH - "Council members Tamaya Dennard and Greg Landsman want the city to study the possibility of creating a single app from which riders can select and pay for rides from SORTA, rideshare, bike-share and scooter rental companies." more...
A New Manassas, Safe for Bikes & Pedestrians
TN - "...Our priority was to create a safer street for all users – pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles — and we’re very proud of the results..." more
Strava Data Suggests Bike Commuting Boom
"30% increase in commuting sees North Americans ditch their cars in favor of the bicycle for smaller journeys..." more
- CA: San Jose mayor to scooter companies: innovate or get out
- VT: Green Mountain Club debuts digital download trail maps
- TX: New hike and bike trail open to the community
- CO: Completion of Fossil Creek Trail connects Fort Collins trail system
- MN: Battle Lake receives bike-friendly status
- WA: 2 major street projects go to rest for the winter
- EUR: Mobike faces probe by Berlin data protection regulator
- AR: Fayetteville Fully Focused On Cycling, Walking
Trailblazers in Monroe County
PA - "...Horan is pulling together decades of trail plans and maps, updating them, and identifying opportunities for connections..." more
Distracted Driver Kills Bicyclist
TN - "The Tennessee Highway Patrol says a man was distracted by his cell phone Friday afternoon when he crashed in Loudon County, killing a bicyclist." more...
Performance Bike Store Closings Begin
Boston, MA - "Gordon Brothers announced today that it will begin store closing sales at 102 Performance Bicycle locations across the country..." more
- CA: Burlingame embraces dockless bike sharing
- NY: Bike lanes, smarter traffic signals – and roundabouts
- CA: $132M for Sacramento region transportation projects
- AUS: New Caloundra MTB trail opens
- CA: Cirque du Soleil performer falls off BMX bike during SF ‘Volta’ performance
- CO: Denver woman offers reward for stolen bikes
Kokosing Gap Trail Closure
OB: Unfortunately no details were given as to where the closing is taking place, why the section is closed, or when it may reopen. If you are able to provide more details regarding this closure, please contact us and we will update accordingly.
Pacers Bikeshare Expanding in 2019
IN - "The Indiana Pacers Bikeshare program, whose network of 29 stations is focused almost entirely downtown, plans to roll out 23 new stations next summer..." more
Learn to Bike Share Safely in Snow & Slush
Detroit, MI - "MoGo bike-sharing is for all Detroit seasons, says the nonprofit organization..." more
'Keystone Bike Trail' Could Cost $6M
Bellefonte, PA - "A two-and-a-half mile bike trail connecting Bellefonte to Milesburg could become a reality, but it’s going to take a community effort..." more
Trail Alliance Formed to Offer MTBike Access
WV - "The New River Gorge Trail Alliance has announced a new partnership with The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, which will allow mountain bikers to ride the world-class bike trails at the Summit Bechtel Reserve." more...
In-Depth Look at Greenway Sweeps
OR - "You might have seen the photos shared by local law enforcement-- piles of trash, needles and old clothes left behind by homeless camps after police wipe through the Bear Creek Greenway during their monthly sweeps." more...
- IL: Chicago survey finds dockless bikeshare more popular than Divvy-style
- MD: Lime is bringing dockless bike share to Baltimore this weekend
- WA: SDOT reports 20 percent decrease in cyclists, blames weather
- IA: 2 more ‘pieces’ of Story County’s trails are planned for 2019
- WA: Geiger Blvd will get turning lane, new pavement, pedestrian and bike trail
- OR: All Performance Bike stores closing in Portland
Disagreement Over Solon Trail Continues
Solon, OH - "Residents and some council members continue to question the need for a $37,000 design and engineering study for the proposed Solon-to-Chagrin Falls recreational trail." more...
More Support for Countywide Bike Plan
Port Clinton, OH - "...The resolutions approving the plan are intended to enable future funding opportunities, such as state and federal grants, for its implementation and eventual construction of the bike trail." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Man Arrested for Trying to Run Down Cyclist
TX - "...The man was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He is in Taylor County Jail on a $25,000 bond." more...
Tacks Dumped in Bike Lane
NY - "...he saw them scattered across the parkway for four blocks he traveled." more...
8 Wins for TrailNation in 2018
"...Here is a spotlight on some of the critical project advances we made in 2018—and how they are bringing to life our vision of trails at the heart of healthy, thriving communities." more...
61 New and Renewing U.S. Bike Friendly Communities
"The League of American Bicyclists honored 61 towns and cities in 27 states with prestigious Bicycle Friendly Community (BFC) awards for their leadership and investment in infrastructure, education and outreach that enables and inspires people to ride bikes." more...
- GA: Atlanta City Council OKs transportation plan
- HI: Bikeshare Hawaii installs 33 new Biki docking stations
- TX: Waco city council including scooters in bike share program
- TN: Explore Bike Share Cranks 25K Rides in Six Months
- LA: Baton Rouge bike-share program should be ready by St. Patrick's Day
- FL: Police release 911 calls in Cycling Family Broward tragedy/a>
- TX: Smash and Grab at Fort Worth Bicycle Shop
- MD: Lime to debut dockless bicycles in Baltimore
- WAL: BLT appeals
- MN:DNR stands firm on Fall River bike trail bridge
- NY: Why is county rushing to build Onondaga Lake trail on toxic land?
- CA: Money allocated for CR98 bike route and charging stations
- CO: Partnership delivers long-awaited trail link
- ND: Someone plowed the Greenway, and local leaders aren't happy
Work Underway on River Trail Extension
‘Sierah’s Law’ passes Ohio House
Columbus, OH - "...In 2016, 20-year-old Sierah Joughin of Fulton County was riding her bike when she was attacked, kidnapped and murdered...." more
Pittsburgh Bike Share Expanding
PA - "...The nonprofit program, which allows users to rent bikes for $2 per half-hour at one location and drop them off at another, installed its 100th station last week and expects to expand to 175 next spring..." more
Bike League Changes its Bike Friendly State Report Cards
WA - "Perhaps tired of handing the top honors to a barely-deserving Washington State year after year, the League of American Bicyclists changed its annual state-by-state rankings into a set of 50 individual report cards that track each state’s progress..." more
Denver May Force Scooters into Bike Lanes
CO - "...the city may change where people ride scooters and tweak the 'pilot' program that has allowed several companies to deploy hundreds of scooters and bikes here." more...
Portland Ponders Transportation Data Tool
OR - "A powerful new data collection tool has local transportation agencies salivating." more...
- FL: Bike ride aims to promote traffic safety and awareness of bicyclists
- FL: Residents take to Facebook to ask city leaders for sidewalks and safer streets
- NM: Number of people hit by cars skyrockets
- GA: Introducing: Bike Walk Savannah
- GA: Macon-Bibb joins 'Vision Zero' initiative
- OR: Now you can donate Biketown credits
- CA: San Diego approves $2.3M for bike network 'missing link'
- NM: City aims to stop drivers from using new bike-ped crossing
- CAN: Flood-damaged bike trail reopens in Gatineau
- NJ: Brick Seeks Bids to Add Another Mile to Bike Trail
- CO: Funds in place to finish trai
- MA: Rockland Rail Trail final section to be completed next week
- WA: Leary Way is the common-sense route for Burke-Gilman’s missing link
The Red Line Greenway Plan
Cleveland, OH - "...a big part of the reason the project has already gotten millions of dollars in federal grants is because it reconnects parts of Cleveland that have become disconnected over time." more...
Chesterfield Open to Greenway Plan
IN - "Chesterfield and Daleville are on board to collaborate on the Mounds Greenway project going through the two towns." more...
Explore Bike Share Maps Show Bike Ride Data
TN - "Explore Bike Share riders have taken more than 25,000 trips since the system launched six months ago, and a new series of maps shows exactly where those riders have been." more...
The War for 35th Avenue
Seattle, WA - "...As first reported by The C Is for Crank, the future of a safe street redesign is in the hands of Mayor Jenny Durkan." more...
Cyclist Rides to Doctor with Knife in his Head
"The attack occurred on the same South African road where two riders were assaulted the week before." more...
Judge Regulates Performance Bike Sales Tactics
Durham, NC - "A U.S. bankruptcy judge has ruled that a liquidator company may not promote sales at some Performance Bicycle locations as 'Store Closing,' 'Going Out of Business,' 'Liquidation Sale,' 'Bankruptcy Sale' or similarly themed sale events..." more
- WA: Seattle has only built about 4% of its 2018 bike lane goal
- LA: Damaged, missing cycling awareness signs to be replaced
- WA: Is the Yakima Greenway being steamrolled by city council?
- VA: Long Bridge expansion will add new railroad tracks and a bike trail
- CA: Suspect Arrested After Man Shot, Killed Along Bike Trail
- UT: Snow Bikes Not Welcome On Basin Trail
- MN: Plan to develop corridor linking old Ford plant site to downtown St. Paul
- FL: 11 of the Tampa Bay area’s most treacherous intersections for bicyclists
- NY: Final Route 9 Bike Study Moving Ahead
- NY: Columbia County unsure of $2 million trail project on Hudson Landfill
- SC: York County prepares to buy $21 million green space along Catawba River
- NZL: Bike trail group wants MP's views ignored
- TX: Pilot program charges bike companies to use popular Austin trails
- AUS: Canberra key to Monaro rail trail’s potential tourism
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Set to Grow Near Sunbury
Delaware County, OH - "Preservation Parks of Delaware County has added 3.7 miles to what eventually will be about 15 miles of the Ohio to Erie Trail running through the southeast corner of the county." more...
Heartland Trail Paving (Photos)
Sewer Pipe Project along Alum Creek Trail
Philly Looks to NYC for Safer Streets
NYC - "Members of Philadelphia City Council visited here to determine whether this city's successful traffic enforcement efforts could work in Philly." more...
Delivering Mail with Cargo Bikes on UW Campus
WA - "...UW is the first campus in the country to move to delivering mail via electric bikes..." more
Entrepreneurs can Manage their Own Fleet of E-Scooters
"Bird announced today that it will sell its electric scooters to entrepreneurs and small business owners, who can then rent them out as part of a new service called Bird Platform." more...
Cycling to the Airport
"...Other airports around the country have also become bicycle accessible, among them Baltimore-Washington and the airports in San Diego and Portland, Ore..." more
The Bid to Shutdown London's Flagship Bike Lane
UK - "A new group supported by the Canary Wharf Group property company and lorry, coach and taxi drivers is attacking one of the city’s most popular routes." more...
- ESP: Pedestrian killed by electric scooter rider
- OR: PBOT to request $6M for Safe Routes to School projects
- LA: How New Orleans’ new bike registration will work
- FL: 2nd cyclist has died after being hit by a distracted driver during group ride
- CAN: Banff subsidizes studded tires to encourage winter cycling
Detroit Bike Share hits 237K Rides
MI - "Detroit's public bike share system, MoGo, has been used for more than 237,000 rides since its launch last year despite the introduction of electric scooters in the city." more...
Trade Truce Means New Tariffs on Hold for 60 Days
"...The round of goods that would have been subject to the 25 percent tariffs includes most bike products made in China, including complete bikes, frames, wheels and other components and accessories. It does not affect lights, helmets, shoes or apparel, however." more...
Liquidator Running Sales at Performance Bike
"The company hired to run liquidation sales at 40 Performance Bicycle stores last month has expanded those sales to the chain's 62 remaining stores." more...
How Trail Organizations Spend Money
"...Singletracks looked at a few different ways that organizations raise money for [mountain bike] trail building." more...
- OR: What’s in store for Portland bike share?
- ISR: New bike trails inaugurated in Tel Aviv
- CO: Stormwater project a new playground for fat bikers
- UT: Summit County Council at odds over funding for Rail Trail study
- CA: What’s the actual cost of the rail-trail?
Commissioners Open Bids for Stavich Trail Paving
Big Data Through Bicycle Lights
"...Along with his wife he created a tech company that put sensors on bikes, sensors that would not just plot journeys but also measure road roughness so city planners would know where smoother asphalt is needed " more...
How E-Bikes can make City Streets Safer
"E-bikes are a game-changer for the people who need them most." more...
Drivers Give Cyclists Wearing a Helmet Less Room
"...He rode the same stretches of road with and without a helmet, and with and without a wig to make him look like a woman..." more
- CA: Man Fatally Shot In Broad Daylight Along Bike Trail
- CA: New Trail in Black Mountain Open Space Park
- CO: Proposed Mountain Bike Connector Trail Moves Forward
- IRE: €2.7m funding for County Limerick greenway
- WA: Community invited to celebrate new greenway connection
Heartland Trail Construction Progress
Marshallville, OH - "Construction on the trail has continued into late November with cold and wet weather slowing the progress. Still, beginning at Marshallville, nearly half of the trail has the stone base in place and it is ready for asphalt..."
For more info, read the Wayne County December Newsletter.
Westerville Sidepath Construction
OH - "Despite inclement season Westerville's sidepath addition along Cleveland Ave (north & south of Schrock Rd) is progressing..." more
Greenway Reopens after Flood Damage Repairs
NC - "The Joseph McDowell Historical Catawba Greenway is now open again after cleanup and repairs related to the Hurricane Michael flooding event in October were completed." more...
Austin Reprimands Lime for Too Many Scooters
TX - "...The transportation department has ordered the company to remove 1,000 scooters for the next 30 days after Lime was accused of violating city code by deploying too many of them downtown." more...
Bicycle Friendly State Progress Report
"...Each state’s Progress Report provides graphs on ridership, safety, and spending for each state over the last decade compared to each state’s region and the national average for each indicator." more...
Import Laws Can Solve Bike Industry's Gray Market Woes
"...Foreign sellers to U.S. consumers source goods in a variety of ways, some not always legitimate..." more
"Phenomenal" Growth in E-Bike Vacations
Madison, WI - "Eight years after it began offering e-bike vacation packages, Trek Travel said it has averaged an annual increase of 50 percent per year since 2016 on e-bike trips..." more
- AR: UA and city plan cycle track on Maple Street
- NY: Beacon Greenway to Open New Segments
- VA: County Set to Officially Open New Washington Blvd Bike Trail
- SC: GVL opens new mountain bike trail
ODNR Awards $4.4M for Local Park Projects
OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) has approved more than $4.4 million in project funding through the NatureWorks grant program, which will be used to improve outdoor recreational opportunities for Ohioans across the state." more...
Rails-to-Trails Vote Looms for City Council
Solon, OH - "...the introduction of any legislation involving the proposed Solon-to-Chagrin Falls trail project proved enough to stir lengthy and spirited debate last week." more...
Lawmaker To Review Plans For Kalamazoo River Greenway
MI - "A plan to make improvements along the Kalamazoo River in Allegan and Kalamazoo counties could soon come to fruition..." more
$3.2M to Split Portion of W&OD Trail into Separate Lanes
VA - "...The current 10-foot wide shared-use trail will be replaced by an 11-foot wide bicycle trail and an eight-foot wide pedestrian trail with a two-foot wide median in between..." more
Portion of American River Bike Trail Collapses
CA - "A portion of the American River Parkway bike trail in the Rancho Cordova area collapsed Thursday due to rain-caused erosion." more...
Citi Bike To Triple Fleet Size & Double Zone
NYC - "Competitors are furious as city extends monopoly to Citi Bike for another five years." more...
Community Colleges Boost Cycling
"...Community colleges are increasingly joining the bike movement, and other community institutions can learn from what is happening in this growing sector of the higher education arena..." more
University Signs 1st Cycling Mechanic Scholarship
IN - "Marian University has announced the first recipient of its cycling team mechanic scholarship: Charis Lott of Fortville, Indiana." more...
- ND: Greenway wall the target of graffiti
- TX: Pct. 2 breaks ground on tunnel project for hike and bike trail
- D.C.: New DC-Va. bridge plan would add more trains, bike paths over Potomac
- CA: New bike lanes may provide safer alternative
- OR: PBOT strategy to tame east Portland’s deadly arterials
- WA: One millionth Fremont Bridge bike trip
- NYC: Thumbtacks Strewn Along 43rd Ave Protected Bike Lane
Millersburg Has Concerns With E-Bikes
Millersburg, OH - "Concerns over the safety and the legality of electric bikes or E-bikes as they are more commonly known, have been a hot topic among community members in Amish Country..." more
Plan Calls for 1,100-Mile Bikeway Network
Bethesda, MD - "More than three years in the making, Montgomery County’s goal of creating a world class bike trail system is becoming a reality." more...
Girl Scouts Analyze Bike Safety
NJ - "...DeMarco and Gallagher decided, with the help of their moms, that a biking audit would be a great way to give back to the community for their Girl Scout Silver Award..." more
Colin Ross on the Future of IBDs
"The recent Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing by the owners of Performance Bicycle should be a wake-up call for every bike brand who thinks that a vertically integrated delivery process is the answer to their market struggles..." more
- TX: Why Is San Antonio Still Building a 20th-Century City?
- FL: Tampa Bay neighborhood plagued by cars crashing into homes
- OR: Marine Drive gets buffered bike lanes and new path
- WA: 35th Ave NE bike lanes head to Mayor Durkan’s desk
- IRE: Work on major cross border greenway project under way
- OR: Officials see Greenway breakage as likely
- MT: Commissioners lift moratorium on Mt Ascension directional bike trail
- CO: Fat bike trail comes with Sand Creek stormwater project
- TX: New Hike and Bike Trail Connecting San Juan and McAllen
- MA: Wellfleet residents divided on rail trail extension
- WI: Gold Star Memorial Trail open in Dodge County
- NE: Free bicycle repair stations coming to Scottsbluff and Gering
Pathfinders Hit Fundraising Goal
Redesign of Livingston Avenue Underway
Columbus, OH - "Bike lanes are coming to a section of East Livingston Avenue in German Village..." more
Revitalize South Street with a Parking Ban
Philadelphia, PA - "...Currently, South Street isn't great for riding bikes. There is no designated area for cyclists, and with parking on both sides of South, cyclists are forced to 'take the lane' heading east to their destination." more...
E-Scooter Bills Seek to Stop Crackdown on E-Bikes
NYC - "Councilman Rafael Espinal is crafting legislation that, he says, will bring throttle-controlled bikes favored by delivery workers out of the shadows." more...
E-Scooters Didn’t Squelch Bike Share Use
Portland, OR - "Data show Biketown ridership numbers increased during the four month scooter pilot program." more...
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy Hires New President
D.C. - "Rails-to-Trails Conservancy has hired Ryan Chao, currently the vice president of the Center for Civic Sites and Community Change at the Annie E. Casey Foundation, as the organization's third president..." more...
Cyclist’s Near-Miss With a Train
"...a ProRail spokesperson said about two deaths and more than 100 near-misses occur at these crossings every year in the Netherlands..." more
- D.C.: Locals look to explore Connecticut Avenue's future
- NC: Get ready for lower speed limits
- WA: How bikeshares could ultimately affect Seattle transportation
- OR: Drunk driver kills pedestrian
- FL: Florida is a cyclist killing field
- IL: Bike trail that follows MetroLink route will be extended
- NY: Funeral arrangements for teen, slain on Cohoes bike trail
- VA: Car Runs Over Pedestrian’s Foot at Bike Trail Crossing
- MN: Three miles of off-road bike trail now open
- TX: Electric Scooters And Bikes Will Be Coming To Some Austin Trails
- VA: Greenway assailant gets more jail time
- OR: Fires still a threat on Bear Creek Greenway
- NJ: Freeholders will purchase 30-acre parcel for addition to Metedeconk greenway
- IRE: Plans unveiled for Kildare's Grand Canal Greenway
Teens Robbed of Cell Phones, Bike
Green Twp., OH - "...The release said one of the juveniles produced a handgun and demanded items from the 16-year-olds, including two cell phones, cash and a bicycle." more...
Competition to Redesign Old Elevated Rail Line
Buffalo, NY - "...A new design ideas competition in Buffalo, New York, aims to revitalize the city’s 1.5-mile elevated DL&W rail corridor as a multiuse urban nature trail and greenway..." more
Driver Rams Cyclists, Kills 1 - Injures 5
FL - "...A Honda Fit struck the riders about 8:30 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of State Road 84..." more
Contraflow Bike Lane in Virginia
VA - "...Arlington County has found a way to partially alleviate the traffic on George Mason by shortening travel time for cyclists." more...
Help Stop the AV Start Act
D.C. - "The Senate may pass the AV START Act this week, but as the bill is currently written it will increase the number of autonomous vehicles on the road without making manufacturers prove the cars can see bicyclists and other road users..." more
The Answer to School-Drop-Off Chaos
"...here’s an elegant solution to the school drop-off problem: A growing number of European cities simply prohibit cars on the streets surrounding schools at the start and end of the school day." more...
- FL: St. Pete's new bike lanes beckon riders, but many prefer the sidewalk
- ITA: Tiny Italian town issues 58,000 speeding fines in ten days
- UK: Cycling awareness plan
- CA:29-year-old bicyclist suffers serious injuries after car drifts into bike lane
- ITA: 3T headquarters robbed
- UK: Friends of Brighton Greenway clean up the city’s wildlife corridor
- IRE: Double urban renewal investment for Mayo county town
Making the "Deadliest Road in the Nation" Safer
Harrisburg, PA - "State Street in Harrisburg could look much different next summer if city officials get the go-ahead on a bold plan..." more
Hiking & Kayaking Routes Plan Moving Ahead
Princeton, WV - "...The trails will be multi-use, non-motorized trails for hiking, bicycle riding and access to kayak routes on the river..." more
Scooter Injuries Worry Local Doctors
St. Louis, MO - "Between Aug. 6 and Oct. 20 of this year, the doctors confirmed at least 68 scooter-related injuries treated in their emergency department alone." more...
Cyclist Throws His Poop at Driver
CAN - "...Police are searching for a cyclist in Victoria, British Columbia, accused of ramming his bike into a car before hurling his own poop at the vehicle..." more
- SC: Group turning crosswalks into murals to boost pedestrian safety
- TX: More bike-path routes are in the works
- NY: County officials await state contract for Champlain Canalway Trail
- AUS: Federal money for the rail trail
- MN: Duluth can follow bikeways plan for active transportation
Trolley Network set for Revival
Philadelphia, PA - "...They're turning the remains of the trolley line — whose artifacts include elegant bridges of stone and brick, a 1940s car barn, and the platform where thousands once embarked to Woodside Park, now consumed by forest — into a 4.5-mile Trolley Trail..." more
Pathway Between New Albany, Clarksville Now Open
Clarksville, IN - "...When completed in the spring, this seven-mile trail will link those two communities together with Jeffersonville along the Ohio River Greenway." more...
The E-Scooter Side Hustle
St. Louis, MO - "Colby Koch and his husband were among many on the hunt for scooters in every corner of the city one recent night..." more
- MO: St. Clair County to increase MetroLink access with extended trail system
- CT: Cyclists want their say on Pequonnock trail
- MN: County board agrees to develop countywide bicycling plan
- IRE: Grant puts Connemara Greenway back on the right track
Ohio Ruling Leaves Family of Slain Cyclist Heartbroken
"Celia and John Gagnon say they are 'devastated' and 'heartbroken' after hearing that the Ohio woman found guilty of killing their daughter, Emilee, in 2014 successfully had her record sealed by an Ottawa County judge last month." more...
Newburgh Trail Extension
Evansville, IN - "A long anticipated extension of Newburgh's popular Rivertown Trail is moving forward." more...
Can an App Help Avoid Bike-Car Collisions?
WA - "The UW team is installing sensors this month along the trail in Lake Forest Park, near the junction of Highway 522 and Ballinger Way Northeast, to test an app-based system that would alert drivers and cyclists if they are about to cross paths." more...
Injured Bicyclist Rescued by Boat
Bethesda, MD - "A bicyclist injured along a trail at Black Hill Regional Park was rescued by first responders Friday afternoon." more...
How Greenway Trails Went from Nuisance to Amenity
Raleigh, NC - "...citywide surveying from 2014 shows that Raleigh residents prioritize greenways over other kinds of park facilities." more...
- WI: Volunteers chip in to make rugged bike path easier to follow
- AUS: Wangetti walk and bike trail is eco friendly claims council
- FL: Body Found Along Popular Bike Trail in South Apopka Identified
- UK: New guidance issued on unauthorised bike trails
- MN: Gitchi-Gami Trail battle overshadows miles state could add elsewhere
- CAN: Dundas trail link would connect 5 area schools
- CA: Santa Clarita & partners offer app aimed at improving safe bicycle travel
- NH: Man back in jail for stealing bike from in front of court that just released him
Southwest Loop Trail Coming
Columbus, OH - "...A new 21 mile Southwest Loop linked to the Camp Chase Trail is coming in the next 5 years thanks to Columbus Recreation and Parks Department. Another future project is the Franklinton Loop..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Park OKs E-Bikes on Sioux Falls Trail System
SD - "City Hall's push to legalize electric-assisted bicycles, otherwise known as e-bikes, on the Sioux Falls bike trail system took a major step forward this week." more...
Wholesale Bikes Sales Continue Dallars-Up / Units Down Trend
Boulder, CO - "U.S. wholesalers sold 7 percent fewer bikes through the first 10 months of 2018 compared with the same period last year. But the dollar value of those bikes was up nearly 6 percent..." more
- AL: Indian Creek Greenway visitors experiencing car break-ins
- VA: Community rebuilds Murray Run Greenway in Fishburn Park
- IRE: €500,000 funding announced for Midlands greenway project
- FL: Man found dead near West Orange Bike Trail
- ID: Hailey P&Z approves permit for BCRD trails
- CA: Plans for west part of Bay Bridge bike path move along
- NY: Mistrial declared in case of slain NYC runner
- AR: Lowell plans park, trail additions
- FRA: Drivers Are Leading a Protest Movement Across France
- NY: Arrest made in bike path killing
Camp Chase Trail Construction
Ohio Bike Laws Article Series
Euclid, OH - "...a series of articles appeared in the Euclid Observer in an effort to promote safer and more efficient shared use of roads between bikes and cars in the city..." more
Infirmary Mound Park Trails
Granville, OH - "DId you know there are miles of trails at Infirmary Mound Park to hike, bike, or ride?.." more
Grand Rapids Celebrates Safe Year for Peds/Bikes
MI - "...The city announced Monday that bicycle-related crashes with motorists were at a 10-year low and pedestrian-vehicle collisions were at a three-year low for 2018." more...
How to Make Boston Safer for Bikes?
MA - "...Last Friday, Meng Jin, a 24-year-old Boston University graduate student, was fatally struck by a dump truck at an intersection in front of the Museum of Science on the Boston-Cambridge line..." more
- CA: Memorial Walk to mark road traffic deaths in San Fran
- TX: Traffic Crash Victims' Survivors Seek Changes
- IL: Mattoon council preparing for bike trail project
- CA: Marin environmentalists win bike trail freeze at preserve
- AR: Greenway Trail progress moving right along
- AL: Anniston City Council approves new Coldwater Mountain trails
- UK: Moped-riding burglars raid bike shop
- WI: Ringle single-track mountain bike trails open in time for the winter fat tire season
Endorsements for Trail Plan Sought
Ottawa County, OH - "Now that the Ottawa County commissioners have endorsed a plan for a bike/pedestrian trail, a steering committee will begin the process of seeking endorsements from local governments..." more
Delaware County Trail Projects Awarded Grant Funding
OH - "...Four projects in Delaware County are scheduled to receive about $1.4 million for improvements totaling almost $2 million..." more
Additional Solon Trail Funding Off the Table, for Now
Solon, OH - "Although it could be revisited next year, an earlier proposal to set aside an additional $253,000 in the 2019 budget for recreational trails is now off the table." more...
Bipartisan Group Working on Trail Improvements
OH - "A bipartisan effort to improve Ohio’s 3,000-plus-mile network of trails, headed in part by a Warren County state lawmaker, has been an example for other states in driving improvement of outdoors opportunities..." more
Bad Design Cited in Bridge Collapse
FL - "The National Transportation Safety Board on Thursday released new information indicating design errors were the likely cause of the collapse of the FIU pedestrian bridge in March, which killed six people." more...
Marchers Commemorate Pedestrians Deaths
D.C. - "Demonstration comes as traffic deaths in the District this year surpass those in 2017, despite commitment to Vision Zero." more...
Park Tool Grant Program
St. Paul, MN - "...Park Tool is accepting applications for its Community Grant Tool Program, which is designed to help local nonprofit cycling organizations worldwide get the tools and repair products they need." more...
- D.C.: Complaints regarding D.C.’s new rules for dockless vehicles
- OR: Portland’s e-scooter pilot ends
- WA: Uber’s JUMP launches in Seattle
- NY: Safety of bike path questioned after fatal Cohoes shooting
- VA: Fredericksburg to expand VCR Trail in early spring
- NYC: Delancey gets safer with protected bike lanes
- SC: Funding for $1.3M bike path project in Carolina Forest
Residents not Keen on Bike Path
Gates Mills, OH - "...The report acknowledged that separate lanes or a separate path would improve safety. But most residents and recreational visitors who spoke at meetings or through a survey opposed expanding the area’s pavement..." more
4 Men Accused of Stealing Sidewalk
Youngstown, OH - "...Someone called 9-1-1 late Wednesday morning to report that some men were taking the sidewalk slabs along the 600 block of Ridge Avenue." more...
Allegheny Ridge Receives $202K for Canal Greenway
PA - "The Allegheny Ridge Corp. has received a $202,000 grant from the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to continue its work on developing the Pittsburgh-to-Harrisburg Mainline Canal Greenway." more...
Wilmington gets $75K Grant to Rehabilitate Marti Park
PA - "...Work will include construction of pedestrian walkways, storm water management measures, installation of play equipment with required safety surfacing, landscaping, project signage, ADA access and other site improvements..." more
New Public Spaces Are Supposed to Be for All
NYC - "Office workers sip coffee beside men sleeping in chairs pulled together. Tourists park their shopping bags where people shoot up heroin, or drink until they pass out..." more
Cyclists Spend More in London Shops Than Motorists
UK - "New research from Transport for London (TfL) claims that people walking, cycling and using public transport spend more than motorists in local shops..." more
- CA: Regional group may provide Yuba City with $2 million grant for bike path
- AUS: Missing man found unresponsive beside a bike track in Sydney's south
- IRE: Minister commits to examine all options on greenway
- AUS: Student’s greenway network plan inspired by mum and dad
- MD: Pedestrian Safety Remains a Challenge in the County
- CO: Why do many Denver neighborhoods lack adequate sidewalks?
- MO: Services like Uber and Lyft aren't helping to curb drunk driving in KC
Plans for Ottawa Dunes Site
MI - "Public access has been granted for the first time on 345 acres of Ottawa County dune property." more...
Teen Murdered on Cohoes Bike Trail
Cohoes, NY - "Police said Friday night's fatal shooting of a teenager in Cohoes is a homicide." more...
- CAN: Summerside creates first mountain bike trails
- AR: Trail system ribbon cutting celebration held
- NE: City of Lincoln releases 144-mile on-street cycling plan
- OR: Momentum builds for carfree river ferry service
Heritage Rail-Trail Detour
Hilliard, OH - "Construction alert for Heritage trail! There will be a temporary detour near Homestead Metro Park in effect: November 26, 2018 to May 17, 2019. Please use caution around the site, thank you!" more...
2040 Plan Includes Lakewood Bike Routes
Lakewood, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation recently announced its long-range Access Ohio 2040 plan, which in coordination with local jurisdictions will designate the Ohio and U.S. Bike Route network." more...
Another Downside to Trail Bollard Use
NYC - "The agency's anti-terror bollards appear to have made the greenway un-plowable." more...
And of course, the biggest downside is that bollards can and do cause serious injury and death. Learn more.
Snow Removal Includes Bike Lanes in D.C.
D.C. - "...There's a new "non-motorized trail" work detail specifically assigned to clearing bike paths, bridge deck sidewalks and ramps compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act at intersections." more...
- NE: New bike trail extension opens in South Sioux City
- FL: $35 million bike path across the new Howard Frankland bridge
- WI: City stays dedicated to bike friendliness with new wayfinding project
- AUS: Trap proposed for Unanderra’s illegal trail riders
- NY: Police investigating suspicious death on trail in Cohoes
- WA: Build a homeless shelter, but preserve the Greenway
- WA: SDOT reaffirms plans for Eastlake bike lanes
Towpath Trail Section Closing for Hunting Season
Stark County, OH - From Stark Parks, "The [3.5-mile] Towpath Trail [section] between Riverland Ave. and the Tuscarawas County Line (Rt. 212) will be closed due to hunting on nearby private property on the following dates: Nov. 17 and 18, Nov. 22 to Dec. 2., Dec. 15 and 16, and Jan. 5 to 8, 2019."
Water on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "The Hocking River water level in the City of Athens as of 7:00 am this morning, 16 November is above 15.25 feet. This means that the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway will be underwater at the dip between Stimson and the US33 underpass..." more
Bike Lanes & Routes Taking Hold in Ohio
"More and more cities in Northeast Ohio have begun to create designated bike lanes along their thoroughfares. And the Ohio Department of Transportation is working on a plan to create state and U.S. bike routes throughout the Buckeye State." more...
Park Could Blaze Quarry Trails as Regional Attraction
Columbus, OH - "Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks hasn’t broken ground yet for its 20th central Ohio park, but its project already has won an award from the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission for collaborative efforts to push it forward." more...
Trailhead Construction Underway in Vanderbilt
MI - "After years of planning, construction has finally begun on the Vanderbilt trailhead project." more...
MDOT Considers Giving Up Control of Busy Streets
Kalamazoo, MI - "...A long-awaited contract with the Michigan Department of Transportation would give the city of Kalamazoo jurisdiction over busy traffic arteries and $11.6 million to maintain them..." more
Bikes for Tykes Benefits from Abandoned Ofo Bikes
TX - "...Cox said his organization cannot sell the bikes, but would like to donate them to an organization that in return is willing to make a financial donation to Bikes for Tykes, which can then use the money to buy spare parts." more...
Protecting Trails in 2018
"...RTC worked closely alongside trail groups, advocates and friends to protect trails against threats to their well-being, generate support for their continued development and create opportunities for the transformative impact we know is made possible by these vital assets." more...
Owner of Performance Bicycle Files for Chapter 11
Chapel Hill, NC - "...The move is likely to lead to the closure of at least 40 Performance stores in the coming months; the chain currently has 104 locations." more...
- RI: Providence Planning On-Street ‘Urban Trails’
- TN: Increase in pedestrian fatalities in Mid-South
- NV: 2 jaywalkers sought in shooting death of Las Vegas motorist
- OR: Bike thieves caught on camera
- NJ: Jersey City awarded $3.5 million for pathway along Morris Canal
- IL: Yet Another Reckless Driver on the LFT Highlights Need for Guard Rails
- CA: Fire claims popular recreation spots
- NC: Clayton Riverwalk closed, greenway flooded from recent rainfall
- OR: Death of man found along greenway deemed “accidental”
- MT: Helena to decide fate of Mount Ascension bike trail
- ID: Atokad Trail project complete in South Sioux City
- TX: Expansion to Cotton Belt Trail system in Grapevine to increase connectivity
- CA: Bay Bridge bike path on west span would offer ‘breathtaking views’
- KS: New Manhattan trail officially open for use
- WA: Mayor details plans for tsunami structure, dunes trail
Major Trail Developments in Ohio
"It’s officially the Year of the Trails in Ohio, and the Buckeye State is building significant momentum on trail projects, from Cleveland to Cincinnati and beyond." more...
Bike Cleveland Geared Up For a Big November
Cleveland, OH - "...the cycling advocacy group is in the midst of a busy month with its 2018 Strategic Summit and Cranksgiving Cleveland events." more...
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Bike Trail Booby-Trap Trio in Court
OR - "Two of the three men arrested last week for stretching string across the I-205 bike path are set to make their first appearance in court today." more...
AVs Will Never be Able to Drive in All Conditions
"...he doesn't think the industry will ever achieve the highest driving rating of being able to drive at any time of year in any weather and any condition." more...
Civilians Dress Up as Bus to Cross Bridge
RUS - "Back in 2012, the city of Vladivostok, Russia opened a shiny new bridge over the Zolotoy Rog Bay to make life easier for everyone, and then in 2015 they stopped letting people cross it on foot..." more
- GA: Regulations for scooter use, parking up for debate in Atlanta
- GA: Commissioners Have Second Thoughts About Barnett Shoals Bike Lanes
- FL: Bike trail extension connects Brooksville to Withlacoochee State Trail
- FL: St. Marks biking trail opens in Tallahassee
- SC: Possible human remains found on Murrells Inlet bike path
- CAN: Transcona Trail to receive biggest piece of Winnipeg bike infrastructure funding
- ID: Latah Trail rest stop now complete
Night Riding Policy @ John Bryan Park
Greene County, OH - "Night riding is a privilege. Ride responsibly to keep this privilege." more...
Pedal-Assist Bike-Share Arrives in Philly
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia’s bike-share service is taking a step forward on the evolutionary tree this week, with the arrival of electric-powered pedal-assist bicycles to its fleet..." more
Greenway Plan Envisions 71-Mile Network
NC - "...The county’s Greenways Master Plan Committee is out with a new version of potential trails that cross the county..." more
Uber: NYC Needs 100,000 to 200,000 E-Bikes
NYC - "...The company, which is lobbying the city to get into the bike-share business, says New Yorkers would take 1 million of their 26 million daily trips on dockless e-bikes..." more
Bike Builder Loses Home & Shop in Camp Fire
CA - "The Camp Fire that ravaged through the small town of Paradise, California burned through the shop of a former Portland bicycle builder." more...
45 New Bicycle Friendly Universities Honored
"The League of American Bicyclists is proud to announce 45 new and renewing colleges and universities with Bicycle Friendly University (BFU) status today. These colleges and universities have proved outstanding in their support of bicycling..." more
Milking Scooters for Cash
"...In Austin, officials are charging companies $100 a bike or scooter during its experimental phase, and could raise tens of thousands annually..." more
Why Americans Have Fallen Out of Love with Cars
"...congestion and the high cost of car ownership may have cooled the romance between Americans and their cars, especially for younger adults, according to a new national survey." more...
Trek, Kent and Others Look to Cambodia for Production
TWN - "Cambodia, already the biggest bicycle supplier to the EU, is making up ground in the U.S. market as well due to the recent tariffs imposed by the Trump administration." more...
Cyclists Mowed Down by Driver
TTO - "Popular Chef Joe Brown and a BP employee Joanna Banks were killed on Saturday morning when a car ploughed through a group of bicycle riders on the Beetham Highway." more...
- WA: It's time Seattle planners listen to women who walk and bike
- TX: Houston's streets are a battleground for language and policy
- VA: Alexandria set to allow dockless bikeshare and scooters
- MD: City to issue refunds to all Baltimore Bike Share members — eventually
- WA: Disabled people have serious concerns about e-scooters
- VA: Lynchburg Parks & Rec raising money to repair miles of damaged trails
- OR: Body found off Bear Creek Greenway identified
- NC: Broad River Greenway gets $100k boost
- FL: 15-year-old girl on bike struck, killed by driver
- NE: Lincoln Bike Plan aims to create connected system of bicycle lanes, trails
Great Miami River Trail Alert
Dayton, OH - From miamivalleytrails.org, "The bike/pedestrian bridge to/from Deeds Point MetroPark is closed for repairs. The Webster Street Bridge will serve as a detour around this project. Signs for the detour are posted in both directions along the Great Miami River Trail."
Amherst Bike Path Grant App Rejected
OH - "Construction of a bike path along North Main Street in Amherst has been postponed due to the rejection of a grant application submitted by the city." more...
Making Peninsula Dr Safer for Peds & Bikes
PA - "Project calls for extending Presque Isle State Park's multi-purpose trail. It would run along Peninsula Drive to the Tom Ridge Environmental Center." more...
Big Ben Coffee Opens Along Trail
IN - "...We’re just elated that we’re on the bike trail, that we can just partner with the city so we can create another good environment on this side of town..." more
For a More Walkable City, Enlist the Fire Chief
"Perhaps the most ironic day in the life of every city planner is the one on which she discovers that her greatest opponent in making her city’s streets safer is the fire chief..." more
Walmart Considering "Town Centers"
"...revamped Town Centers may include paths for running or cycling, green spaces for outdoor recreation, other retailers, and even entertainment options like bowling alleys..." more
USA Cycling Offering Free Memberships to Vets
Colorado Springs, CO - "On Monday, Nov. 11, USA Cycling said it will partner with five military support organizations to provide free memberships to veterans, active military and their families in honor of Veterans Day." more...
Putting People Before Cars in Toronto
CAN - "...The Pilot [project] just completed its first year, and the early results are looking good..." more
Are Electric Scooters the Future?
"...E-scooters, much like their non-powered siblings are about as straightforward as it gets when it comes to personal transportation devices." more...
- SC: Portions of Swamp Rabbit Trail closed due to flooding
- CAN: Cadillac Driver Plunges Through Bike Bridge
- IA: Bike trails, dog park in holding pattern for SL committee
Wasson Way Trail Phase 2
Columbus, OH - "...we have sufficient funds to build Phase 2A across I-71 to Evanston and Norwood!.." more
Township Wants Trails Group to Acquire Old Rail Bridge
Allegheny Twp., PA - " Allegheny Township officials want a regional trails organization to take over an old railway bridge spanning the Kiskiminetas River and use it connect the Tredway and Armstrong Trails." more...
Lime and Spin Sharing Data with LADOT
CA - "...The move to more openly share data related to where the scooters and bikes are ridden, routes taken, when they are used and other details reflects a growing trend where cities are requiring data sharing..." more
National Cycle Network has Many "Crap" Paths
UK - "Almost half of the network has been rated ‘poor’ in a review to be published on Monday." more...
Loyalhanna Trail Receives $500K Grant
PA - "Funding for a recreation trail that will be built over a new sanitary sewer line in Derry and Salem townships has finally fallen into place." more...
Men Arrested in Bike Path Booby Trap Caper
Portland, OR - "Portland police arrested three people suspected of setting a boobytrap on a bicycle path Friday night." more...
Solon To Chagrin Falls Trail gets $500K
Solon, OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources awarded the city $500,000 to make the pathway between downtowns a reality." more...
Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Visitation Stats
Developer Hopes RV Park Will Draw Cyclists
Columbus, OH - "A new “upscale RV resort” planned for 20 acres of land behind the Columbus Hollywood Casino will feature 135 spots for campers and trailers, a central lodge and fitness center, and a vertical camping platform designed to attract thru-bikers on the Ohio to Erie Trail." more...
More Input Sought on Devola Trail
Marietta, OH - "...Another major obstacle facing the planning of the trail is how to get the path through privately owned land..." more
$1.4M Riverside Drive Project
Troy, OH - "...the project moves the bike trail from the east side of the road to the west side of the road across more than a dozen drive ways..." more
Will Self-Driving Cars “Choose” to Kill Cyclists?
"A new study sheds light on how self-driving cars will make ethical decisions on the road." more...
So Cal Fires force Evacuations
Newbury Park, CA - "Giant Bicycles USA evacuated its offices Thursday afternoon as the Hill Fire burned behind the company's headquarters in the Conejo Valley, about 50 miles northwest of Los Angeles." more...
- CAN: Horses not allowed on Cypher Systems Greenway Trail
- NJ: County Set to Give $10K Toward Righter Road Path in Roxbury
- NY: Fort Washington Pedestrian Bridge Reopens, City Says
- TN: New trails and park added to Memphis downtown riverfront
- TX: League City expanding network of hike and bike trails
- TX: Construction on 8-acre Atascocita hike, bike trails underway
- CA: Installation of green bollards signal progress in bike path
NCIT Paving in Lorain County
OH - We received word from Josh Wyrick about this Lorain County Metroparks post: "...North Coast Inland Trail will be closed from Baird Rd. to Green Rd. for paving."
The facebook post was made on Oct. 24. No word yet on whether paving was completed on this 1.3-mile trail section before the cold and snow moved into Ohio today.
Tracks Being Removed in Liberty Center
OH - "Railroad is removing old tracts thru Liberty Center... rails are up from west of grain elevators east to Pleasantview RD." more...
Complete Streets Plan for Worthington
OH - "Worthington leaders are expected to finalize a “complete-streets” plan by the end of the year, but residents likely will not notice immediate changes..." more
U.S. 41 Greenway Now Open
Evansville, IN - "...The Hi-Rail Greenway is the City's non-motorized transportation system, beginning at Riverside Drive and extending to Walnut Street." more...
Scout Installs Bike Fix-It Station
Davison, MI - "...While on vacation in Duluth, MN a few years ago, Kosiara saw something he felt would improve patrons’ experience on Davison’s existing bike trail..." more
$6M Pedestrian Overpass Opens
Commerce Twp., MI - "...The bridge, which will eventually welcome drivers to Commerce Township, connects hiking trails from Walled Lake, Commerce Township, Wixom and West Bloomfield." more...
Boland Trail Opens
South Bend, IN - "...It's two-thirds of a mile long and connects the Riverwalk Trail, as well as bike lanes on Portage Avenue." more...
Experimental Bike-Friendly Speed Bumps
Portland, Or - "...people have many mixed feelings about these. Some say their pedals strike the bump when they go through and the channels are dangerous. Others love them..." more...
Making Left Turns Safer
"Cities are getting smarter about using design tricks to prevent improve safety for a particularly dangerous maneuver: Left turns." more...
Traffic Deaths: An International Health Scourge
THA - "Eight years after her daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Nelson Mandela’s granddaughter Zoleka is pleading for the world to do better at reducing traffic deaths." more...
- LA: Friends of Lafitte Greenway working to extend the 2.6-mile linear park
- OR: Medford police find a “high-rise homeless camp”
- TX: Austin's oldest hike-and-bike trail charts new course
- VA: The biggest loser in the bike trail debate
- MN: Falls to Ranier bike trail nears completion
- ESP: Truck driver attacks cyclists with a hammer
Towpath Bridge Deck Pour
Cleveland, OH - "Another step towards the completion of stage 3 of the Towpath Trail extension project was recently made as the concrete deck of the truss bridge spanning W. 7th St. was poured! Asphalt and concrete work around the Towpath Mounds is also being completed before cold weather arrives." more...
$200K Grant to Connect Park to Bike Trail
StreetsBlog Ohio Dead in the Water
It appears that the StreetsBlog Ohio website has been dead since January 2018. Their facebook and twitter accounts are closed, but their website carcass still floats on the web... more
Gunfire Keeps Trail Closed
PA - "...Standing in Pennypack where the trail opens, the crack of gunfire can often be heard in the distance..." more
Ford to Buy Electric Scooter Startup
Dearborn, MI - "Axios is reporting, based on multiple unnamed sources, that Ford Motor Co. has agreed to buy the electric scooter startup Spin..." more
Election Results of Interest to the Bike World
Philadelphia, PA - "...There also were a number of ballot measures and propositions around the country related to cycling that were being monitored by PeopleForBikes." more...
Nails in the Bike Lane a Reoccurring Problem
Portland, OR - "...she says the problem has been going on for at least two years." more...
Lime Investing $3M in Scooter & Bike Safety
"On the heels of Lime notifying the public about needing to recall some of its scooters due to fire concerns, Lime is putting $3 million toward a new safety initiative called 'Respect the Ride'." more...
- FL: Work begins to link disconnected bike trails
- FL: Sarasota County voters OK the Legacy Trail
- TX: City Council awards bid for $2.9M Little Creek Trail project
- ID: Paving at Pocatello's Sacajawea Park complete
- NC: City working to reduce crashes at dangerous intersections in Greensboro
- GA: City Approves Green Bike Lanes After Pilot
- OR: Beaverton wants a dockless bike share system
- WA: Lid I-5 Campaign Gains Momentum
$380K Grant to Close Towpath Gap
Bolivar, OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources approved nearly $7 million in Clean Ohio Trails Fund grants, including a grant for $380,625 to the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition in support of a quarter-mile Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail connection in Bolivar." more...
Shepard Connector Construction
Columbus, OH - "...East/West 1/2 mile path length between Alum Creek Trail, Hayden Park, N. Nelson Rd, Sunbury Rd, Leonard Ave (YWCA) on former rail spur bed..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Township Pursuing Bellwood to Altoona Trail
PA - "Antis Township supervisors have an option to buy a 119-acre, 2-mile swath of ground that will allow the township to realize its ambition for a hiking and biking trail..." more
Blocked Bike Lanes in D.C.
D.C. - "The District’s top transportation and public works officials are asking three of the biggest mail carriers in the country to ensure that their delivery trucks do not obstruct bike lanes after an apparent uptick in such incidents reported by residents and parking-enforcement workers..." more
- VA: Supervisors vote 3-2 to reject bike trail grant
- NY: Onondaga Lake trail could scare away bald eagles, Audubon says
- OK: Norman to be home to state's largest bike skills park
- MT: Proposed trail system could bring 39 miles of hiking, biking and horse trails
- MN: Minneapolis looking to get tougher on sidewalk snow removal
- OR: Business group says Portland needs more protected bike lanes
New '3-Feet Law' Signs Popping up
Medina County, OH - "Saw this on a Medina County backroad today. Nice to see these and the ones in the Cleveland Metroparks out there every day!" more...
Derr Road Improvements
Springfield, OH - "Some of the proposals for Derr Rd. Include bike lanes." more...
Alum Creek Drive Widening Includes Sidepath
Columbus, OH - "...Adding a ten foot wide paved side path and a concrete sidewalk as part of the 2018-2019, ~$18 mil. construction project..." more
Knox County Parks E-News
Knox County, OH - Read the latest edition.
New Bike Lanes on Rt. 116 Raise Eyebrows
Chicopee, MA - "There's confusion and controversy over the new bike lanes on Route 116 in Chicopee." more...
Retiming Traffic Signals to Boost Ped Safety
D.C. - "More than 90 traffic signals in the District will be retimed to allow pedestrians more time to cross roadways as part of Mayor Muriel Bowser’s vision zero initiative." more...
Jefferson County Open Space Allows Class 1 E-bikes on all Trails
Golden, CO - "Following a pilot program begun in February, land managers in Colorado's Jefferson County (Jeffco) Open Space have made Class 1 e-bikes permanently legal on all trails where traditional bikes are allowed — including about 180 miles of natural-surface trails." more...
Bike Organizations Oppose the AV Start Act
"Thanks to all 150 League member organizations from all 50 states, and many national partners for joining us in opposing the AV START Act..." more
- NY: Kinderhook, Samascott Orchards make minor adjustment for land purchase
- TN: Greenway extended one-third mile south to Red River
- MT: Superfund Deal Would Transform Butte's Creek Corridors Into Greenway
- GA: Greenway linear park moves closer to reality
- MO: West Meadows Trail Project Groundbreaking
- VA: Neighbors Urge Inclusion of Bike & Ped Trail Along New Long Bridge
- MN: Kiosk project passes completion date, work to be finished in February
- NH: Volunteers carve out new Broken Ground biking trails
- CO: Commissioners considering permitting e-bikes on some county trails
- TX: Fight over sidewalk turns into one-woman political protest
- MA: Bike-share programs push deeper into suburbs
Pedalpalooza Shows Off Protected Bike Path
NH - "The event... was a celebration of New Hampshire's first protected bike path..." more
Shimano Recalls Bicycle Helmets
"The bicycle helmets do not comply with the federal safety standard for bicycle helmets, posing a risk of head injury." more...
- CA: SR-56 Bike Trail Extension Working Its Way Through City Council
- AR: Rogers looks to make downtown pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly
- WA: Seattle wants to expand traffic camera tickets
ODNR Trail Grants Total Nearly $7M
OH - "...The nearly $7 million in reimbursement funding will be used in 14 counties to develop miles of new trails, trail extensions, land acquisition and bridges..." more
Stark Parks Trail News
Stark County, OH - West Branch Trail: "The trail is now open and features a new underpass as part of the recent road project. Please use caution as construction is ongoing in the area."
Mahoning Valley Trail: "The trail is closed between Rockhill Ave. and Gaskill St. because of high water from the Mahoning River flowing over the trail. A new boat launch and parking lot construction at the Price St. entrance will cause occasional restrictions and closures throughout November and December..." more
Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail Flooding
OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "Due to flooding, the Towpath Trail is closed from the Stark County line to just south of the Clinton trail head, and a half-mile from the Center Road parking lot."
Stark County Parks advisory: "Consistent rainfall will likely close the trail in low areas due to rising water in the Tuscarawas River by 11/2/2018. Water over the trail has closed the underpass at Lake Ave. in Massillon."
Grants Received for Sandusky Trail & NCIT
Sandusky, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Natural Resources announced Friday it awarded about $493,500 to Sandusky for the first phase of the Sandusky Bay Pathway. It also awarded about $217,000 to Ottawa County to extend the North Coast Inland Trail." more...
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Goal Met
Urbana, OH - "...With one month to go in our Honda of America Foundation Paving Challenge, we have just this week, reached our goal!" more...
Bike Fleet Helps Portland Street Medicine
OR - "...A local nonprofit that provides them with medical care now has powerful new tools that will allow them reach more people, more often: bicycles." more...
GM Enters E-Bike Market
NY - "General Motors has announced plans to sell two e-bike models next year. " more...
Cyclists Say Australia Should Rethink Strict Helmet Law
"The world’s toughest helmet law isn’t working, says Australia’s largest bike advocacy organization." more...
- MN: River-to-River Greenway keeps moving forward
- IRE: Grand Canal Greenway to get free public Wi-Fi
- GA: Woodstock OKs $24.7K for mountain bike trail work
- GA: Dunwoody developers look to Denmark for bike infrastructure inspiration
- IA: Special gift helps add to city's trail system
- CA: Adding to the Arroyo Seco bike path is slow-going
- NC: Wilmington police file additional charges against driver in fatal bicycle crash
- NH: Man known for humanitarian work dies after mountain bike crash
Flooding on Columbus Area Trails
CoGo a No-Go for Some Merchants
Upper Arlington, OH - "...Although the projects have been discussed publicly since June 2016 and various news outlets have reported on CoGo’s expansion plans, some were caught off guard when the stations were installed..." more
Trails Create "Waterfront" Property in Carmel
IN - "...The city has completed more than 200 miles of bike trails and lanes, installing approximately 30 miles within the last two years." more...
Lime Scooter Recall after Some Catch Fire
"Lime has recalled 2,000 of its electric scooters from the streets of Los Angeles, San Diego, and Lake Tahoe, the company said Wednesday..." more
- MD: New law altering city’s fire code takes effect
- OR: Road rage incident caused by unsafe cycling conditions
- WA: Missing Link design nearly complete, construction to begin this winter
- WV: Land Trust raising funds to buy Canaan tract encompassing 'Moon Rocks'
- LA: Car hits, kills, bicyclist
- NJ: Advocacy saves $12M in federal bike and pedestrian dollars
- CO: Expert Mountain Bike Trail Opens Near Red Rocks
- NC: Green River Game Lands and mountain biking trails expand
- WA: Bothell Police Department blazes the e-trail
- NC: Man charged in assault, robbery of Clayton teacher on greenway
- IRE: Irish Rail backs greenway development
Heartland Trail Construction Update
Wayne County, OH - "We recently opened 1/3 mile of paved trail north of Market Street in Marshallville to connect with the 2.4 miles that we are currently constructing from Marshallville to Forrer Road in Orrville..." To continue reading, see the Wayne County Rails-to-Trails November Newsletter.
Hit-and Run Driver Kills Homeless Woman
Philadelphia, PA - "Authorities say a driver fleeing a hit-and-run crash in Philadelphia ran over and killed a homeless woman who was lying on a mattress on a sidewalk." more...
Victims of Bike Path Terrorist Sue City
NYC - "...They were on notice since at least 2007 of the numerous vehicles that were entering the greenway..." more
Man Details Attack, Robbery on Clayton Greenway
Clayton, NC - "...Wil Smith, 40, of Clayton, posted a lengthy recap of the Oct. 24 incident on his Facebook page in which he described being targeted and attacked during a 3:30 p.m. ambush at the park..." more
Mobile Bike Service Trike
Bonner, MT - "...The Mobile Mechanic Bike is equipped with custom toolboxes, a transport area for parts and other materials, an integrated workstand and a magnetic tool holder..." more
- MD: Baltimore’s New Complete Streets Policy
- CO: Woman on sidewalk fatally struck by driver who jumped curb
- OR: https://bikeportland.org/2018/10/31/the-springwater-corridor-is-now-open-291631
- GA: Demolition Begins For Peachtree Creek Greenway In Brookhaven
- IL: New Bike Trail Opens Near 255
- CA: Bike rider fatally struck in Santa Rosa by dump truck
- AR: Bike NWA Install Protected Bike Lanes In Springdale
- WA: Tacoma bike path nearing completion
South Mountain Trolley Greenway Plans
Carlisle, PA - "...the proposed South Mountain Trolley Greenway, an 8-mile recreational trail that would shadow the historic route of the former Cumberland Valley Railroad’s Dillsburg Branch." more...
Grants Sought for Trail & Sidewalk Projects
Parkersburg, WV - "...Gov. Jim Justice announced proposed federal grants to extend the North Bend Rail Trail to Parkersburg and to pave new sidewalks in Ritchie County." more...
Scooter Fee to Pay for Bike Lanes
Indianapolis, IN - "Indianapolis wants to ride scooter fees toward better bike lanes." more...
Will Bollards Stop Another Hudson River Greenway Massacre?
NYC - "...Yet, it’s far from clear that bollards alone are a tenable solution, in much the same way that metal detectors aren’t an answer to mass shootings." more...
OB: Unfortunately, when bollard-use discussions such as this arise, there is little or no mention of the fact that bollards pose a serious hazard to trail users that can prove fatal. To learn more, see The Ongoing Trail Bollard Hazard.
Former Pro Cyclist Among Plane Crash Victims
"Andrea Manfredi, 26, was on board the Lion Air flight that crashed into the Java Sea." more...
Driver Intentionally Runs Down Cyclist
"The driver was charged with reckless driving and fined $1,000 for the assault in Melbourne, Australia." more...
- TX: Texas A&M to cut ties with bike-share company Ofo
- LA: LSU bicycle infrastructure lacking, projects in development
- CA: Jaywalker struck by a vehicle in southeast Fresno
- JPN: In latest retreat, Ofo ends service in Japan
- IL: Bike trail opens near Kutter Park
- TX: Trail Foundation receives $1.1 million gift
- NY: Albany connector trail
- TX: Police believe stabbing on walking trail was not random
- TX: Woman fatally stabbed at West Side running trail
Public Meetings on Devola to Marietta Trail
Marietta, OH - "Muskingum Township is studying corridors for the multi-use trail that will connect Devola and Marietta..." more
Improving Bike & Ped Use on Bridges
Lakewood, OH - "...We think those bridges between us and Rocky River are kind of critical points in the system for pedestrians and bicyclists to go between cities, and also access the Metroparks trail system..." more
UC Health & Red Bike Extend Partnership
Cincinnati, OH - "After four years and 390,000 rides, UC Health and Red Bike have renewed their partnership for five more years, the organizations announced today..." more
Whetstone Park in Line for Spruce Up
Columbus, OH - "...The 4.5 acres of prairie land near the Olentangy Trail, directly south of Adena Brook and Whetstone’s parking lot, will be slimmed down to a more manageable 3.5 acres, which then will receive some overdue attention..." more
Residents Getting Around by Bike
New Orleans, LA - "...The number of bicycle commuters in New Orleans has nearly doubled since 2010, according to U.S. Census data. Walking to work is up over that time period as well..." more
Replace Signals with All-Way Stops
"...In many places, stop signs are the safest solution..." more
Changes Coming to MUTCD
"...Here are some of the building blocks that designers will likely have access to when a new MUTCD is adopted..." more
Kent & Detroit Withdraw Section 201 Petition
"Kent International and Detroit Bikes have withdrawn a petition to the U.S. International Trade Commission that sought protection from complete bike imports in the form of new tariffs of up to 50 percent." more...
- VT: Burlington changes policy to embrace ‘Complete Streets’
- FL: Sidewalk vigilante can't solve safety problem in Hillsborough neighborhood
- UK: Car ads banned for encouraging dangerous driving
- NLDL: Dutch 'silly walks' crossing is a hit
- OR: Rally planned outside PBOT open house for 122nd Ave project
- WY: Moose carcass exploded near trail
- IRE: IFA lodges objection to South Kerry greenway
- IL: $180K going towards Decatur bike trail renovations
- MD: Work halted on Bacon Ridge trail
- TX: City hopeful to connect southesast Belton with hike and bike trail
- WA: Soon, East Siders will be able to bike or walk to the Tacoma Dome
E-Bikes Coming to Red Bike in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "...In November, Cincinnati will become one of the first six BCycle cities to test the e-bikes..." more
Bloomington Considers $10M Trails-and-Trees Project
IN - "City officials in Bloomington are considering a $10 million project that includes 1,400 street-side trees and 7 miles of recreational trails." more...
Some Cities Offer Free Bike Share Rides to Polls
"The company that runs New York's bike share — plus systems in seven other cities — will give all-day passes on Election Day." more...
The Deadly Problem with Bike Lanes
"Most cyclists know that bike lanes offer very limited physical protection. They might not know that they offer approximately zero legal protection either." more...
Electric Scooters Are Not the Enemy
"It’s official: Cyclists have been demoted to the second-most hated people on the road..." more
The 'Moral Machine' Experiment
"Let’s say someone is driving a car with two other passengers, when suddenly three pedestrians leap into a crosswalk in front of it. The driver must decide between running the pedestrians down or crashing into a concrete barrier. What would you choose?" more...
- TX: How many people are getting hurt on electric scooters in Dallas?
- CA: Cyclist killed in bike lane had right of way
- MA: Testing shared bus-bike lanes along Mount Auburn corridor
- FRA: Paris Gets to Keep Its Car Ban
- NY: Frankfort yet to sign off on trail plan
- AUS: Bike track goes to minister
Tools for Measuring Economic Impact of Cycling
Boulder, CO - "...The Economic Benefit Model Templates are free templates that aid in calculating economic benefits from tourism, events, retail sales tax, resident spending, bicycle business and health..." more
Schumer Calls out CSX for Stalling Tibbets Brook Greenway
NY - "U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer made his way to the Bronx to get the ball rolling on the long awaited Tibbets Brook Bronx Greenway..." more
- NH: Seacoast rail trail discussions resume
- VA: Cyclist killed in York County hit and run
- IRE: Concern expressed that Great Southern Greenway is ‘accident waiting to happen’
Development Boom Along the Schuylkill River
Philadelphia, PA - "..The Schuylkill River Trail expansion project is one of those projects that feels like it’s been going on for a while—but it’s making a lot of headway..." more
Sharpsburg Walking Route
Pittsburgh, PA - "The Sharpsburg Main and Canal Walking Route is the newest addition to the Triboro EcoDistrict..." more
Judge Slashes $3.2M Verdict Over Fall During Bike Ride
PA - "...Massiah-Jackson denied the city's request for a new trial in the matter, but she also reduced the verdict to the $500,000 statutory damages cap..." more
Truck Trike Stars in UPS Cargo Delivery Program
Portland, OR - "...Southeast Portland resident Bill Stites is the man behind the Truck Trike, a concept he’s been refining for about a decade..." more
Lime Bike Offering Free Rentals on Election Day
"The free 30 minute rides will be available in more than 100 cities." more...
A Place to Fence Stolen Bikes -- And Get Them Back
WI - "Knowing time was short, Andrew Haala didn’t hesitate when he realized his Trek Stashe bicycle had been snatched from his temporarily unsecured front porch..." more
- NY: New Bike Path Near Old Bethlehem Steel Opens Monday
- CA: So much for riding bike along the river
- WI: Two Rivers Raider Trail ribbon-cutting Saturday
- NC: County leads on greenways
- OR: 18 ‘High Crash’ Portland streets will get updates next year
- NYC: Bus Driver Who Killed Citi Bike Rider Sentenced To 30 Days In Jail
Construction to Close Towpath Trailhead
Akron, OH - "The Memorial Parkway Trailhead will be closed beginning November 5 through approximately December 31 due to a City of Akron CSO construction project. The restrooms will be open..." more
Plover Man Found Dead on Bike Trail
WI - "Officials are investigating the death of a man found on a bicycle trail in Stevens Point Thursday morning." more...
UPS by Cargo Bike in Seattle
WA - "111 years ago, UPS began making deliveries by foot and bike out of Seattle’s Pioneer Square. Today, the company is returning to bikes, at least for some downtown deliveries." more...
Driver Cuts Off Cyclist, Later Has Tires Slashed
Portland, OR - "Alameda resident Mark Holzmann says he was the victim of harassment, vandalism and an expletive-laced tirade following a traffic incident on Tuesday night." more...
Bicycle Coalition Fights to Keep ‘Complete Streets’
Atlanta, GA - "Advocates stress that many proposals are slated for roads in the city’s 'High Injury Network'. " more...
- WA: The uphill sprint to build a protected bike lane network in downtown Seattle
- WA: Will Seattle's Bike Share Program Ever Expand?
- OR: Portland businesses want cars kicked off transit mall
- OR: Slippery bikeway striping causes multiple crashes
- D.C.: Proposed Bike Lane Near Union Station Needs An Act Of Congress
- MN: Minnesota trail projects open possibilities for extended cruising
- CA: A New Setback For Re-Opening American River Bike Trail Near Lake Natoma
- OK: Ada plots to fight crime along urban trail
- MA: Bike path plan elicits fears and cheers in Wellfleet
- TX: North Texas cyclists put faith in developing trail system
- CAN: Thumbtacks placed on busy Vancouver Island bike path
How a Bike Path Changed a City
Memphis, TN - "How a 7-mile bike path sparked massive transformation in this southern city." more...
Road Design War in Seattle
WA - "Death threats, vandalism: Seattle hires mediator over 35th Avenue Northeast project." more...
- D.C.: Mayor Bowser unveils reset of her Vision Zero campaign
- NC: You may soon have to slow down on some Charlotte roads
- OK: City crews highlight bike lanes along Oklahoma City streetcar route
- WA: Yakima Greenway closes for levee repair
- IRE: Why is Green Party against greenway?
- NY: Old railroad line to become park and playground
- GA: New PATH trail expands access, options for Emory commuters
- MD: SHA gives update on Trolley Trail progress
- CA: Bald Eagles Return May Slow Work On Rock Slide
- NZ: 2 Great Ride cycle trails near Rotorua to get maintenance funding
Motorized Bike Rider in Critical Condition
Piqua, OH - "A Covington man reportedly suffered head trauma following an accident involving a motorized bicycle." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Infrastructure Listening Sessions Pitched
PA - "Yesterday I had the opportunity to join Representative Earl Blumenauer and others to discuss infrastructure needs in the Philadelphia area. If the Congressman gets his way, this will be the first of many roundtables in a national listening tour on infrastructure needs and ideas." more...
Skip Scooters get a Latch
CA - "...A purpose-built tool to keep scooters from tipping over on the street and blocking walkers, wheelchair users, and stroller-pushers..." more
Biking in LA a Scary Proposition
CA - "...Now — this is strictly my opinion — but, yes, biking in Los Angeles IS the worst..." more
Ghost Bike Trashed, Stolen
Portland, OR - "...Jacki Andraed-Matheny found the bike at Southeast 82nd and Luther. She doesn't know where it came from, but she knows what it means." more...
The City that Gives Free Beer for Cycling
ITA - "This is how the Italian city of Bologna is getting people to leave their cars behind." more...
- D.C.: In D.C., pedestrians must walk at their own risk
- AZ: Bicycling community peddles sustainability
- TN: Nashville public works department ignored sidewalk directive
- LA: New bike lanes are angering CBD business owners — again
- TN: City Orders Lime Scooters Off the Streets
- RI: Bird scooters are back in Providence
- CA: Dollar Creek bike trail expands towards Kings Beach
- NY: New Trail Links Grand Island to Tonawanda, Niagara Falls
- MN: Minnesota High School Cycling League All set for the final rides
Towpath Trail Section Closed Oct. 23
Downed Trees on the Little Miami Trail
SW OH - "We are aware of several trees down over the trail and are working to get things cleared from Saturdays storms." more...
Mohican Valley Trail Repaving Progress
Towpath Stage 3 Construction Progress
Cleveland, OH - "On Friday we stopped by stage three of the Towpath Trail extension and were pleased to see asphalt paving has been laid on most of the trail. The 1.9 mi segment starts north of Steelyard Commons and traces the eastern border of Tremont, ending at the intersection of Literary and University Rds." more...
Side Path Construction in Westerville
OH - "Cleveland Ave new sidepath construction in Westerville (north of I-270/Schrock Rd) - that should hopefully be soon completed..." more
Man Arrested in Burned Body Case
Upper Arlington, OH - "...During his interview, he told detectives how Simpson’s 'arm was cut off above the elbow,' — information that matched preliminary autopsy results and had not been previously made public..." more
Push for Future Westside Lakefront Greenway
Lakewood, OH - "Bike Lakewood has developed a plan to connect Edgewater Park to Huntington Reservation. The West Side Greenway will create a stress-free connection along the lakefront and to Rocky River Reservation." more...
Young Hit-and-Run Victim Given New Bike
Youngstown, OH - "First responders made a big show when arriving at 8-year-old Jenciel Filero’s home to give him a bike after his was destroyed." more...
Are Philly Streets Any Safer?
Philadelphia, PA - "The ambitious initiative is progressing — but we’ve still got a long way to go if we want to reach zero traffic deaths by 2030..." more
Class Action Lawsuit Against E-Scooters
CA - "...The lawsuit, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, accuses two of the largest e-scooter companies, Lime and Bird, as well as other e-scooter firms, of 'gross negligence' and 'aiding and abetting assault'..." more
Stop the Attack on Railbanking
"Railbanking is essential to preserving rail corridors for use as trails. This federal statute has allowed local trail groups from across the country to convert former railways into thriving rail-trails that boost local economies and create healthier, more vibrant communities." more...
BCA & Detroit Bikes ask for New Tariffs
D.C. - "The Section 201 duties would apply to imports from all countries, and are intended to encourage U.S. bike assembly." more...
How Calgary Resisted its Iconic Pedestrian Bridge
CAN - "The controversial Peace Bridge is now one of the most-used walking and cycling routes in Calgary. The councillor behind it reveals the project’s stormy process." more...
- NY: Buffalo May Turn Parking Craters into Neighborhoods
- OR: Scooter replacing car trips in Portland
- OR: Bloomberg gives Portland $2.5 million to fight congestion, climate change
- WA: Puyallup considers sidewalk biking ban
- NY: Critics of proposed bike bridge make last push to stop plans
- GA: Greenway reroute adds $119K to Alpharetta’s design costs
- NY: Partnership revives downtown Yonkers space with path, playground
- IRE: Former town councillor rails against plans to convert Youghal's old line to greenway
- IN: New Albany continues with plan for Ohio River Greenway
- MO: Jackson County to open first phase of Rock Island Rail Corridor trail
- ISR: Google maps introduces Jerusalem bike routes feature
- PA: Rail Trail Improvements Taking Shape
Valley Parkway Connector Trail Opens
Hamilton Beltline Path Moves Forward
Hamilton, OH - "City government and CSX Transportation have agreed on a purchase price for the former rail line that once served the Champion Paper mill, which the city plans to use to create a 2.96-mile bicycling and walking trail..." more
Related: Should Hamilton consider a glowing bike path?
Trail Bridge Work on the NCIT
Wakeman, OH - "A goal we've had for some time is smoothing out the surface of the Bruce L Chapin Bridge, and today we made significant progress on that. 13 volunteers worked most of the day removing the old joint mortar, clearing out the cracks, and pouring and troweling new mortar..." more
New Section Opens Along Jordan Creek Greenway
PA - "...Last week, local, Lehigh County and state officials celebrated the opening of a new 0.9-of-a-mile stretch of the planned 14-mile multi-use trail." more...
Scooters Reveal Urban America's Transport Crisis
"Electric scooters are fun, but nobody knows what to do with them yet." more
UK Using "Dutch Reach" to Improve Safety
UK - "The 'Dutch Reach' aims to force drivers and passengers to look out for cyclists before they leave a car." more...
- TN: Knoxville awarded $1.9 million grant for Northwest Greenway Connector
- VT: Land trust raises $1.2M for bike path extending to border
- CA: Long-Awaited Bicycle Link Between Pasadena, Downtown LA Opens
- NY: Construction of Kingston Point Rail Trail to begin
- D.C.: Lyft rolls out electric scooters in D.C.
- VA: Thief steals bike inches away from front door, is caught on camera
- MT: Hamilton to seek permission to build bike trail through town
- TX: Austin's Ann & Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail reopens following flood concerns
- FL: Consider the future when you consider the Trail
- CT: More downtown streetscape improvements planned in Brookfield
- MO: Upcoming event to give hint of possible Hodiamont trail
Possible Flooding Along Alum Creek Trail
Little Miami Trail Detour Oct. 22
Heartland Trail Construction
Wayne County, OH - Check out the mid-month construction photo update.
MT Biking Park Booby-Trapped, Vandalized
AZ - "A trail at a recently opened park for mountain bicyclists was 'booby-trapped' with two cables affixed across a riding track at chest height in an apparent attempt to cause a fall and injuries..." more
- NC: Greenway connection planned where Maddox Ritch’s body found
- TN: Plans to extend greenway to Smokies
- MA: Northampton receives $200K grant to create new trails
- IRE: Work on Slieve Blooms Reaches Halfway Stage
- MA: Pedestrians hit the new Garrison Trail
- WI: Brookfield Rail Depot To Become Fiddleheads Coffee Shop
- OR: Portland aims to tame Sandy Blvd
- WA: Cheasty Trails and Bike Park gets environmental thumbs up
Deputy Injured on the Camp Chase Trail
Marietta Mulls River Trail, Sidewalk Measures
Funds Sought for Greenway Repaving Shortfall
Lisbon, OH - "Columbiana County commissioners appear willing to provide the county park district with $25,000 needed to cover additional costs for repaving a section a section of the Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail." more...
E-Bikes Arrive on Columbus Streets
OH - "...A Lime spokesperson said that the new bikes were deployed starting the second week of October around the Ohio State University campus..." more
Bikeway Extension Construction Progress
Athens, OH - "Update on the Holzer to County Road 24A (South Canaan Road) extension of the bikeway, from the County Planner... The company contracted to do the work by ODOT is preparing to start grading the surface in preparation for paving. more...
Preliminary Autopsy Report on Body Found in Park
Upper Arlington, OH - "A preliminary autopsy report from the Franklin County Coroner’s Office has shed new light on what may have happened to a 23-year-old Columbus woman whose body was found in an Upper Arlington park Sunday." more...
Worst Roads in the U.S.
"...One-third of the nation’s major urban roadways – highways and major streets that are the main routes for commuters and commerce – are in poor condition..." more
Getting Drivers to Yield to Pedestrians
"A ground-breaking experiment in St. Paul, Minn., shows a shocking pattern of dangerous and aggressive behavior towards pedestrians. But also how solvable the problem is given the right attention and policies." more...
Decision on Postal Treaty Welcomed
D.C. - "...Eliminating the cheap rates would be a start, said Pat Cunnane, the CEO of Advanced Sports Enterprises, owner of the Performance Bicycle stores and the distributor ASI." more...
- GA: Sandy Springs may build trail as ‘prototype’ for citywide network
- IL: Chicago Cyclist Records Motorist Driving in Protected Bike Lane
- SD: Is it time to let e-bikes use Sioux Falls' trail system?
- OR: Police identify man found dead on Portland bike path
Cincy Crackdown on Aggressive Driving, Jaywalkers
Pleasant Ridge, OH - "...It's getting worse with social media. People are looking at their phones when they come up to the red light..." more
Foundation Grants $200M for Parks, Trails
Detroit, MI - "...The grants will fund waterfront parks in Detroit and Buffalo named in honor of Wilson as well as development of greenway trails throughout the two regions." more...
Land Being Acquired for Trail
Columbus, NC - "Polk County is getting ready to close on 300 acres of property to create a public walking/biking trail system on Little White Oak Mountain." more...
Scooter Companies Hacking the Rules
"...Although cities continue to limit scooters despite strong customer demand, startups are trying to hack the rules with workarounds -- such as direct rentals to your doorstep." more...
The Perils of Hit-and-Run in the Big Easy
New Orleans, LA - "Nicole Ducharme just wanted to get to work. Instead, she got dragged through the excruciatingly slow and unsatisfactory quagmire that is the New Orleans Police Department’s Hit-and-Run unit..." more
Turning a Car Town into a Cycling City
"Lessons from the Dutch, where the number of bikes exceeds the number of people." more...
The AV Start Act
"The Senate is planning on voting on the AV START Act before the end of the year. The League opposes the bill because it doesn’t include serious safety protections for bicyclists and pedestrians." more...
Strider Sells 2 Millionth Balance Bike
Rapid City, SD - "Company is expanding international distribution and sales through large retailers." more...
- WI: Trail Caucus Kicks Off to Connect Wisconsin
- CA: Uber and Lyft are responsible for about half of SF’s rise in traffic
- MN: Dockless Bikeshare working in the twin cities
- FL: Walk of Silence to honor those who died in traffic fatalities
- OR: Judge rules that Bend bike lane does not continue through intersection
- OR: Girl walking to class hit by driver
- UT: Plans to develop a series of mountain bike trails in the hills west of Richfield
- NY: $5.3M bike trail plan reduced in scope
- IL: Decatur Park District moves forward on Stevens Creek bike trail extension
- NJ: State neglects safety of bike path crossing in Pleasantville
- MA: Columbia Greenway Rail Trail nearing completion
- TN: Painting the greenway
Input Wanted for Richland B&O Trail Plan
Richland County, OH - "The Richland County Park District is in the process of creating a long-term, strategic plan for the B&O Trail and wants your input!
Please take our survey.
Cincy Getting E-Bikes
Cincinnati, OH - "...In early November, Cincinnati will get 10 electric-assist bicycles, part of a pilot through BCycle, the company that makes the bikes for Cincy’s Red Bike program." more...
Gravel Being Added to Kokosing Gap Trailhead
Burning Body Found in Park
Upper Arlington, OH - "Upper Arlington police on Monday identified the woman whose body was found burning Sunday near a walking trail in Burbank Park." more...
Trail Construction Blocked in Kentucky
Benham, KY - "...The delay has raised concern that the county could lose a $660,809 federal grant to develop the trail, which would involve upgrading more than five miles of an unused railroad bed..." more
City OKs People Trail Extension
Columbus, IN - "Columbus has entered into an agreement with a landscape architectural firm to design and construct an extension of the People Trail." more...
New U.S. Trails in 2018
"This summer, U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke announced 19 new National Recreation Trails in 17 states..." more
Fixing Badly Planned American Cities
"...from Jeff Speck’s Walkable City Rules, a step-by-step guide to fixing America’s cities and towns." more...
Missing Cyclist Found Alive
ESP - "When his wife hadn't heard from him for hours, she sent out an urgent tweet." more...
Bicyclists May Use Full Lane
UK - "Some motorists think roads were built for cars, and that people on bicycles are interlopers. Historically and legally, this is not the case..." more...
IMBA Looks to Shore Up Support
Reno, NV - "...IMBA’s total revenue plummeted from $6.7 million to $3.9 million between 2016 and 2017." more...
- WA: Should some streets only be for pedestrians?
- MO: Bird scooter blocking the sidewalk? There's an app for that
- NE: 13th Street road diet coming soon
- FRA: Can Paris Exist Sans Gasoline?
- GA: Pedicab ride in Savannah from new Lyft service
- NE: Trail Work Continuing in Beatrice
- OR: Police investigating suspicious death on bike trail
- OK: Council approves withdrawal of investment funds for biking trail
- TX: Austin waterways, Ann & Roy Butler Hike and Bike Trail closed due to heavy rain
- IA: 10-year-old helps connect bike trails
- IN: Vanderburgh County road and trail project aims to connect city, county
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Nearing Goal
Urbana, OH - "...We are just $2,565 from reaching our $25,000 goal which will be matched dollar for dollar up to that amount by the Honda of America Foundation..." more
Rogue Group Riders Hogging the Road
"...I sought out an example to analyze that should resonate with those who are frustrated, disappointed or angry with group rides they encounter on the road." more...
Citi Bike Offers Group Rides
NYC - "...'It’s never been easier to ride with friends,' Citi Bike announced in a tweet on Monday." more...
SF's Scooter War is Over & the Scooters Won
San Francisco, CA - "Shared e-scooters have returned to the Bay Area. But is regulation enough to make them work in the long term?" more...
Mountain Biker Shot & Killed in France
FRA - "...another young hunter was sentenced to a year in jail for mistakenly shooting and killing a trail runner in the same region..." more
Over 5,000 Stolen Bikes Recovered thru Bike Index
"Milestones are important to us here at the Bike Index - we're suckers for nice big round numbers that define progress..." more
Remove Street Centerlines to Calm Traffic
"...Centerline removal introduces an element of uncertainty which is reflected in lower speeds..." more
- NJ: First Stage of Mohansic Trailway Completed
- NC: NC ranks among worst states for deadly car crashes
- OR: Portland tackles high-crash network, asks public for help
- UK: Banning cars in London
- OR: Cyclist has life-threatening injuries after collision on SE 82nd Ave
- WA: Bike Plan Gets Torched with Proposed Downtown Connection
- IRE: Why these Kerry farmers are opposed to a new greenway
- IL: New overpass reflects latest upgrade to ever-expanding Skokie Valley Trail
- VA: Rail trail connector construction continues
- VA: Arlington Named A 2018 Best Bike City In America
- IL: State awards $100K for mountain bike trail
Temporary Closures Along Mohican Valley Trail
Brinkhaven, OH - "...the Mohican Valley Multi-Use Trail from the Bridge of Dreams to the Holmes County Line will be closed or have periodic closures due to a parking lot renovation to provide handicap accessibility. The driveway to the Trail may also have periodic closures..." more
NCIT Progress in Huron County
Wakeman, OH - "...Next up: Volunteers want to place a connector trail between the bridge and the paved Wakeman East Bikeway.
A long-term project also just began. Group members started a dialogue with a design group to pave the path’s entire length in Huron County..." more
Volunteers Clear Area Around Heart of Ohio Trail
Mt. Liberty, OH - "...Venture Crew 382 group... cleared two large swaths around the Mt. Liberty Heart of Ohio Multi-Use Trail access area to allow for clear visibility of the children’s playground and improve safety of the area..." more
New Overseers Considered for Buffalo Valley Rail Trail
PA - "...DCNR is supportive of the plan to transfer and is working with the county on the process. The Buffalo Valley Rail Trail is a huge asset to the region..." more
Dangerous Sidewalks Causing Injuries
Indianapolis, IN - "Dangerous, uneven sidewalks are landing people in the hospital, and the city has a backlog of more than 1,600 requests all over Indianapolis." more...
Walking May Now Outweigh Transit Value
"...The emphasis these days is more on walkability than a direct rail or metro connection..." more
Milwaukee Embracing Bikes & Peds
WI - "...A pedestrian and bicycle friendly environment is great for retail and apartment development — it slows traffic down and enhances the vibrancy of the street..." more
Bicycling Magazine Is Dead Wrong About Seattle
Seattle, WA - "...The national nonprofit People For Bikes recently gave Seattle a 2.3 out of 5 for bicycle friendliness, putting 50 cities ahead of us..." more
- FL: South Florida police warn cyclists to stay in their lane
- WV: New Parkersburg-area trail designed for intermediate level bikers
- SC: New bike club wants to expand opportunities for riders
- IRE: Greenway leading to a promising future for Newcastle West
Corwin Peddler Reopens
Bicycling May Help You Avoid Parkinson's Disease
"Adding high levels of physical activity—moderate to vigorous—into your exercise routine can decrease the risk of Parkinson’s disease (PD), according to a new review of studies..." more
Hoy Calls for End to "Us vs. Them" Mentality Between Cyclists & Drivers
"...Most cyclists drive and vice versa. You have to try and put yourself in the shoes of the other person..." more
Tour De France Trophy Stolen
"...toward the end of last month, the Team Sky rider lent his trophy... to the Cycle Show, a three-day exhibition in Birmingham, U.K." more...
- ME: Franklin County builds on reputation as mountain bike destination
- WA: Ferry County Rail trail one step closer to completion
- NY: Bike trails open at McCauley Mountain Ski Area
- IRE: Council to seek funding for Tuam Greenway feasibility study
Temporary Closing for Scioto Trail Oct. 21
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "Beginning Sunday, October 21, the Scioto Trail between Hocking Street and Battelle Riverfront Park will be closed from 7:00am – 8:00am [for the Columbus Marathon]."
SW OH Transportation Projects Receive Funding
Cincinnati, OH - "...southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky just received more than $40 million in federal funding, and more than three-quarters of that money will go toward enhancing the region's public transit, bicycle and pedestrian-oriented infrastructure." more...
Redeveloping an Iconic Trailside Structure
Warren County, OH - "The developers of the former Peters Cartridge Factory in Warren County received approval for a new injection of funds today." more...
Bike Lanes Spark Unnecessary Controversy
Detroit, MI - "...These new protected bike lanes have sparked no end of grumbling..." more
Can Cargo Bikes Help in a Disaster?
VA - "In an emergency response trial held here recently, bicyclists were able to transport 1,250 pounds of water and 1,100 pounds of food over difficult terrain, showing how the vehicles can be put to use when needed the most." more...
The Route for the Fort Worth to Dallas Trail
TX - "...The Regional Transportation Council this week approved the $40 million, 53-mile trail at its Thursday meeting, all but assuring the project will be open to the public by fall 2023." more...
- TX: City plots path forward on trail system
- CA: Police Search For Suspect Who Assaulted Woman On Bike Trail
- NC: Flooding forces another temporary closing of greenway
- TN: City approves greenway expansion bid
- NYC: No Funding or Timeline To Close East River Greenway Gaps
- OR: Mountain bike advocacy has taken a giant leap forward
'Book-a-Bike' Program gets a Trike
Gallipolis, OH - "...The library has had great success with the bicycle lending program. Therefore, we wanted to expand the program to meet the needs of patrons who have the need for a trike bike..." more
Pittsburgh Plans to Expand Bike Lanes
PA - "A lot has changed since Pittsburgh put out its first bike lane plan in 1999, and with new ideas for lanes throughout the city, officials are looking for your input." more...
Philly's Transportation Plan
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia released a transportation plan Wednesday that outlines the city's goals for street safety and transportation for the next seven years." more...
N. Michigan's 1st Flow Trail to Open Soon
Maple City, MI - "...The 3-mile looped trail at Palmer Woods Forest Reserve also marks a milestone as the Lower Peninsula’s first flow-style track north of Grand Rapids." more...
Setting the Rail Trail Connector Bridge
Elkins, WV - "...This two-mile section of the Elkins Rail Trail Connector project is the final piece connecting the current bike trail that runs into Parsons to its destination in downtown Elkins." more...
New Bike Trail Opens in Mountwood Park
Parkersburg, WV - "A new mountain bike trail was dedicated Thursday morning at Mountwood Park where officials hope it will complement the existing world-class paths." more...
Dallas Dreams Up a Multimodal Transportation Hub
TX - "We're talking bullet trains, DART, Amtrak, HyperLoop, and aerial taxis out of a single center." more...
LA - The Worst Bike City in America
CA - "...L.A. is letting the cars win." more...
While Seattle ranks as the best city.
- MD: Baltimore City to start final phase of downtown bike-lane construction
- D.C.: Red Line stops are dangerous for people walking and bicycling
- LA: How does the cost of New Orleans' bike share program stack up?
- OR: City installs plastic curbs to protect bikeway at I-5 freeway on-ramp
- OR: Two drivers arrested after a woman was killed while walking
- NY: City Commits $250M To Close Manhattan Greenway Gaps
- CA: Work on new bike trail is blocking eatery, Folsom business owner says
- MN: Paths are murky in search for answers on rails-to-trails land
- AR: Fayetteville to test bike safety improvements
- CO: Party on tap to celebrate Fruita's new connection
- MO: Deer Creek Greenway expansion
- OR: 7 arrested during latest Bear Creek Greenway sweep
Wadsworth Opens 'Interurban Trail'
OH - "...The city, which held a ribbon cutting for the trail and park last week, has installed a large Interurban Trail sign with a map and bike racks downtown. There also are plans for more benches and historical signs along the path..." more
Buck Creek Trail Reopens
Bicycle "Chop-Shop" Discovered in Xenia
OH - "...Police are trying to reunite more than 40 bicycles and bike frames with their owners after discovering an apparent "chop shop" at a detached garage..." more
Cannonball Trail Volunteer Honored
Montpelier, OH - "It gives the NORTA board great pleasure to honor Danielle Lee, Montpelier, with the dedication of Danielle’s Crossing, a place where she cleared and made a path in the last mile of the trail..." more
Resident Calls for Making Mt. Vernon More Bike Friendly
OH - "...He also pointed out that the bike lanes that were on Division Street and Mount Vernon Avenue when he came to town 35 years ago are gone." more...
Ann Arbor Relaunching Bike Share
MI - "Ann Arbor's bike share system is transitioning to a new operator." more...
Road Rage Incident Leaves Cyclist with Broken Neck
GA - "...The bicyclist's GoPro caught the crash on camera..." more
The Best Bike Cities in America
"...here's our ranking of the 50 cities that are doing the most to make urban riding awesome." more...
Cycling Fatalities Down 8% in 2017
D.C. - "...Experts in the bike community point out that the findings, while welcome, don't indicate a trend." more...
Is Pedal Dockless Bike Share Going Extinct?
"...cities around the country have already started switching from the heavy bikes to the Next Big Thing: pedal-assist e-bikes and e-scooters." more...
Study Finds that Cyclists are Better Drivers
UK - "...The link between cycling and safer motoring was revealed by a UK insurance firm..." more...
- TN: U of M to Get Explore Bike Share Next Fall
- OR: Portland slips to 5th in Bicycling Magazine ‘Best Bike City’ rankings
- OR: City releases $2M project list that includes cycle-track, crossbikes and more
- WA: Bicycling Magazine names Seattle the #1 bike city in the U.S.
- NY: DEC touts success of shuttle service to High Peaks trailheads
- TX: DFW trail would let you bike from Fort Worth to Dallas
- WI: Remembering a bike trail pioneer
- NC: Greensboro Downtown Greenway growing with community support
- OR: IC council to consult ODOT on bending Greenway Project
- NH: The Mascoma River Greenway In Lebanon Is Complete
- VA: Police identify pedestrian killed in crash on Route 11 in Botetourt County
- UK: Derry MLA calls on Council to repair lights on 'pitch black' Waterside greenway
Driver Cited for Trip on Olentangy Trail
Clark County Adding Location Markers to Trails
Clark County, OH - "National Trail Parks and Recreation District will be labeling the trails over the next few weeks by placing coded stickers every 1/10 of a mile on the Simon Kenton Trail, Buck Creek Trail and Little Miami Scenic Trail.
"These codes will then be put into the Clark County GIS system that is connected to the Dispatch Network. This system will make it easier for emergency services to locate trail users if needed..." more
Little Miami Group Accepting Donations for Safety Program
SW OH - "...Phase I will be painting crosswalk 'ladders' on road surfaces [along the Little Miami Scenic Trail] using reflective paint and clearing lines of sight both left and right to 45 degrees by removing brush, low limbs, and trees." more...
ToleGO! Bike Share Coming Oct. 16
Toledo, OH - "...Toledo residents and visitors will have access to 100 bikes at 17 hubs within the city, available for use 24 hours a day..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Paducah Receives $100K to Connect Trails
KY - "...the Recreational Trails Program funding will help construct a pedestrian bridge over Perkins Creek." more...
Louisville Establishes Dockless Vehicle Policy
KY - "Louisville Metro Public Works has released a new policy that lays out a series of fees and rules dictating when and where dockless vehicles, including Bird scooters, can operate." more...
Lynchburg Creates GoFund Me Page for Parks & Trails
VA - "Lynchburg city is trying to scramble money with hopes to open their trails again." more...
E-Bike Fire Destroys Home
Hampstead, MD - "Maryland fire investigators say a 25-year-old man assembling a do-it-yourself e-bike caused a fire that destroyed a house." more...
Tiny Vehicles and the New Safety in Numbers
"With dockless bike share systems and electric scooters rolling into cities across America at an unprecedented rate, a holistic reduction in crashes, fatalities, and injuries should follow..." more
- BEL: Brussels car-free day saw an 80 % decrease in black carbon
- IL: Bike Lanes Blocked By Vehicles Create Chaos For Cyclists
- OR: Bend group frustrated over bike lane loss
- KS: Downtown bike-share program doubling in size
- WA: Open house for stunning Eastside Trail Wilburton segment
- IL: Another Case of Brutality Against a Bicyclist in West Town
- OK: 3rd lawsuit opposing bike trail filed against city
- MN: Minnetonka delays vote on Lone Lake Park bike trail
- TX: 12-mile off-road cycling trail opens in National Forest
- CA: Goleta Bike Path Project on Right Track
- NC: Greenway grading to start soon
- CAN: Man assaulted on Greenway in Kingsville
Blacklick Trail Underpass Remains Closed
New Trailhead along Cannonball Trail
Honda Demos "Smart" Intersection
Marysville, OH - "Honda Motor Co. has fitted a downtown Marysville intersection with cameras, computers and artificial intelligence that can warn equipped vehicles of a jaywalker around an obstructed-view corner..." more
E-Bike Bill Passes Senate
Columbus, OH - "...The bill will establish the same laws for e-bikes as non-motorized bikes and permit class 1 & 2 e-bikes on multi-use trails..." more
Learn why allowing e-bikes on multi-use trails is a bad idea.
Knox Kane Rail Trail Grand Opening Oct. 19
PA - "...a roughly 4-mile portion of the former Knox-Kane Railroad path, now ready for travelers of a different type..." more
Bike Parking at Hydrants Considered
Philadelphia, PA - "...The fire-hydrant bike corral effort will be the first of its kind, as far as anyone knows..." more
NYC Designing Safer Intersections
NYC - "89 percent of bike collisions happen at intersections. DOT’s new street-design guidelines aim to slash that statistic and save lives." more...
Managing Curb Spaces
"...After years of neglect and scorn, this strip of urban infrastructure, long the sole domain of the meter maid, has gotten incredibly crowded..." more
Sidewalk Toronto has Only One Beneficiary
CAN - "...'Smart cities' rely on IP and data to make the vast array of city sensors more functionally valuable, and when under the control of private interests, an enormous new profit pool..." more
Netherlands Proposes to Ban Phone Use on Bikes
NLD - "...It is already illegal to use a phone while driving a motor vehicle in the Netherlands..." more
Human Bollard Campaigns
"Advocating for cyclist safety through direct action." more...
- ESP: Madrid announces new rules of the road in bid to banish traffic from center
- TX: Iconic East Austin Bridge to be Repurposed
- IRE: Update on Laois Offaly Slieve Bloom mountain bike trail
- UK: New bike trail will be a ‘superb addition’ to county
- DE: New Castle County aims to connect trails, enable bike commuting
- VA: New bridge in Salem part of more work expected on Roanoke Greenway
Rail Trail Build - NE Columbus
Camp Chase Trail Extension @ Darby Creek Metro Park
Related: "New New updated restrooms available on the Camp Chase Trail and Ohio to Erie Trail in Indian Ridge area of Battelle Darby Creek Metro Park."
COMBO Building MTB Trails in Central Ohio
Columbus, OH - "...without the help of COMBO and its 300 volunteers, there would be far fewer places to ride mountain bikes throughout central Ohio." more...
The Case of the Disappearing Bike Lanes
D.C. - "...Co-chair Councilmember Charles Allen pointed out that crosswalks and bike lanes are disappearing before his eyes." more...
Lyft's "Ditch Your Car" Challenge
"The "Ditch Your Car" Challenge gives Lyft credit to commuters who stop using their car for a month." more...
- OR: PDOT continues to look at ways to reduce traffic deaths
- FL: Councilman, businesses push for traffic safety measures
- NOR: Oslo is ridding its city centre of cars
- NY: Chemical waste in ground at Lewiston park site in dispute
- AR: Bike Trail Opens at Lake Wedington State Park
- MD: Montgomery County mountain bikers are charged up about a new trail
Locator Beacon Saves Cyclist in Distress
NZL - "...The 74-year-old told the Herald this morning he was glad to be alive after his misadventure on the Timber Trail..." more
Renovo Calls it Quits
Portland, OR - "The ride for Renovo Hardwood Bicycles is over." more...
Group Plans Attraction Similar to Otago Central Rail Trail
NZL - "Plans are under way to create in Taranaki a biking destination to rival Otago's massively popular rail trail." more...
- CA: Bike Trail Named For Environmental Journalist
- AUS: Trail starts Stromlo mountain biking revival
- CAN: New master plan being developed for Quesnel mountain biking trails
- OR: New shuttle service will take you from Portland to Sandy Ridge
Little Miami Trail Sections Reopen
SW OH - "...All major construction at the Ft. Ancient and Spring Valley locations has been completed. Minor restoration work such as seeding and mulching still needs done..." more
Philly is About to get More Bike Friendly
PA - "The city just secured state funding for new protected (and permanent!) Market Street bike lanes, plus the South Street bike lane is coming soon." more...
Upland Bridges the Gap with New Trail
IN - "...This mile-long stretch of trail through Upland is part of a larger plan to bridge the Cardinal Greenway Trail’s 12-mile gap that stretches between Gaston and Gas City." more...
New Section of Canalway Trail Opens
NY - "...A new 5-mile portion of the Erie Canalway Trail connecting southern Amsterdam to Pattersonville, a hamlet of the town of Rotterdam, officially opened to the public Wednesday..." more
Greenway Attack Victim: "I'm Lucky"
TN - "A 79-year-old man stabbed on a West Knoxville greenway is talking about what happened and the outpouring of support he's received." more...
$17M for Bike & Ped Improvements in Maryland
MD - "...included in the announcement was a $250,000 grant awarded to the City of Baltimore DOT to support the development of a key segment of the Baltimore Greenway Trails Network..." more
Thieves Steal Container Full of Bikes
CAN - "Rocky Mountain Bicycles is hoping dealers can help recover 160 bikes stolen from a shipping container that was on the grounds of the company's warehouse here." more...
- MD: Bike trail gives new life to land
- OK: Councilors approve land purchase near proposed bike trail
- MD: Salisbury rail-trail project fueled by state grant
- MO: Fee Fee Greenway opens after 10-year project
- WA: Be vigilant on the Yakima Greenway
- AR: Pop-up Beer Garden Opens Along Razorback Greenway
- VA: Richmond set to re-time 300 traffic signals in downtown area
- MA: Boston’s progress towards roadway safety
- UT: Scooter impact bike share use
- WA: Lime is fighting back against Seattle’s resistance to scooters
- WI: Milwaukee okays Complete Streets Policy
- WA: 3,000 Lime users contact city asking for scooter share
Driver Cited for Getting Stuck on Bike Path
The truck has been removed and the trail has reopened.
Simon Kenton Pathfinders
Lighting the Streets for Safety
Detroit, MI - "...A new report on streetlights... shows that pedestrians deaths plummeted in the Motor City from an average of 24 per year to just one, thanks to a two-year, $185-million effort that replaced 65,000 lights in a city where 40 percent were not working in 2014." more...
Part of NYC to Canada Trail Opens
Pattersonville, NY - "A new 5-mile (8 kilometer) section of a trail that will eventually span from New York City to Canada has opened in the Mohawk Valley." more...
Will E-Bikes Increase Bike Commuting?
"It’s too early to tell if electric bicycles hold the secret to grand pronouncements such as 'the future of transportation.' But there’s definitely something interesting happening." more...
U.S. Traffic Fatalities Remain High
U.S. - "There were 37,133 people killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes on U.S. roadways during 2017, a 1.8-percent decrease from 37,806 people killed in 2016..." more
Fugitive Posed as Cyclist to Evade Capture
JPN - "Junya Hida, who biked hundreds of miles while on the lam, was finally captured last weekend." more...
- LA: New Orleans' bike-share program drops prices
- NC: Car plows into pedestrians on downtown Raleigh sidewalk
- CHE: Bike Infrastructure Enshrined in Swiss Constitution
- CA: L.A. Mobility Advocates Protest Lack of Progress
- GA: ‘Genius grant’ firm to design Chattahoochee greenway
- GA: Bear encounter on Big Creek Greenway a reminder to stay vigilant
- CT: Brookfield Seeks Award for Still River Greenway
- DE: Wilmington to New Castle trail open
- UK: Extra cash to boost £11.75m Glentress Forest cabin and bike trail plans
Semi Truck Stuck on Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "Bicycle path north of Spring St. parallel to 315 is closed due to a stuck semi that struck two overhead bridges." more...
Step Taken to Link B&O Trail to Trimble Rd Path
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraiser Progress
Urbana, OH - "...Each dollar that we raise by November 30th is matched, up to $25,000... to be used for additional paving in the Spring/Summer of 2019... more
Missing Ohio Mom found Dead in Great Smoky Mountains
"...The 53-year-old had last been seen Sept. 25, when she and her daughter became separated during a hike." more...
Argument Over Scooters Leads to Shooting
Columbus, OH - "...Three teens were arguing over the availability of the scooters..." more
Knoxville Greenway Attacks
TN - "A 79-year-old grandfather targeted in a brutal attack along a West Knoxville greenway over the weekend is recovering from multiple stab wounds to his head, neck and face..." more
Related: Runner recalls finding attack victim.
Seattle's Scooter Ban
WA - "...Seattle has banned dockless scooter-sharing companies from the city’s streets, with no word on when, or if, scooters might join the city’s coterie of transportation options." more...
3-Foot Passing Law in Minnesota
MN - "Minnesota state law requires motorists to give 3 or more feet of clearance when passing a bicyclist, and the good news is a large majority of drivers obey." more...
Dockless Data is Helping Cities Map Your Movement
"Lime and other companies are gathering masses of location-based information that some cities are leveraging to improve their streets." more...
The Bird and the Bicycle
"...This article explores what it might look like if scooters, by law, became bicycles – or at least were treated as bicycles in the way that electrically-assisted bicycles are treated in many states or in the way that Maine treats roller skis as bicycles." more...
- HI: New city council proposal seeks to ban wheels on the sidewalk
- MO: KC adds temporary scooter, bike lane downtown
- OR: Portland embarks on NW Flanders Bikeway project
- SC: Stretch of Swamp Rabbit Trail closed through late November
- CA: Greenway supporters identify missing links in trail
- TN: New Portion Of Wolf River Greenway Is Now Open In Raleigh
- IRE: Could Navan-Kingscourt Greenway attract 150,000 visitors a year?
- VT: Burlington Greenway enters next phase
- NY: Amsterdam-Pattersonville bike trail opens
- WI: Memorial Drive resident objects to sidewalks and bike trail
- IL: Hard surface planned for hiking/biking trail
- OR: Six miles of state bike trail now open, John B. Yeon to Cascade Locks
New Bike Trail in Green Twp.
OH - "...The path is 10-feet wide and will eventually run to Veterans Park on Harrison Avenue..." more
Towpath Section Closing for Marathon
Brecksville, OH - "The Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be closed to the public starting at dusk on Saturday, Oct. 6 through 2 p.m. on Oct. 7 for the annual Towpath Marathon." more...
Cuyahoga River Partners Creating Water Trail
Cleveland, OH - "Fans of the Cuyahoga River want it designated an official Ohio water trail, promoting public access and increasing appreciation for the waterway." more...
Rails to Trails Path Would Start in New Albany
IN - "63-mile trail would connect five counties." more...
Murders Continue in Chicago Park
IL - "Chicago police said a masked gunman appears to be targeting people in the city's Rogers Park neighborhood at random following the second fatal shooting in the neighborhood in two days." more...
Stop Comparing Cycling & Driving Violations
"We both break the law from time to time. But it's not even close to a one-to-one exchange." more...
- OR: Islabikes to close US headquarters office and warehouse in Portland
- OR: Tualatin-Valley Hwy claimed two more lives yesterday
- OR: Man and young child hit while crossing SE 122nd at Midland Library
- IL: Supporters raise funds to help injured Chicago retailer — and her store
- IRE: The greenway that needs a red light
- GA: Gainesville council approves Limestone Greenway
- NE: Bike trail links Millard to Bellevue
- NY: Queensbury officials review plans for $5.3M bike trail
- WI: New bike trails coming to three Marathon County communities
- LA: New Baton Rouge bike paths in the works
Greenway Paving Delayed
Lisbon, OH - "The Columbiana County Park District will delay until next year repaving parts of the Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail after the board voted to reject the sole bid received for the project." more...
Fallen Tree Closes Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Section
Scooter Numbers Rising Fast in Columbus
OH - "...Our August scooter census showed 150 on the streets. By the end of September, there were like 16,000..." more
How About a Regional Transit System for Bikes?
Detroit, MI - "...local leaders are working to create this regional transit system for two wheels." more...
$632K Grant for Mayfield Bike Trail Project
Mayfield, KY - "...The new trail will start at Kess Creek Park and connect to the fairgrounds at the other end of town..." more...
Bus Driver Found Guilty in Citi-Bike Death
NYC - "Monday’s guilty verdict against the driver of a 50,000-pound bus that struck and killed a Citi Bike rider in 2017 reawakened a raw debate about who bears more responsibility on New York City’s crowded streets..." more
Trail Closed Due to Safety Concerns after Murder
Ames, IA - "...The trail clean up comes after Ames residents expressed concerns over Celia’s alleged killer Collin Richards, who was homeless and living near the trail." more...
Capital Bikeshare E-Bikes are a Big Hit
D.C. - "Earlier this month, Capital Bikeshare debuted the newest additions to their fleet: 80 pedal-assist electric bikes (known as e-bikes)." more...
The Link Between Transport & Public Health
"...Communities across the United States are starting to make the connection between physical activity and land use and transportation options..." more
Children Required to Have License Plates on Their Bikes
London - "Children have been told they will be banned from cycling to their south London school if they do not put number plates on their bikes." more...
- MN: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Polk and Norman Counties
- WA: Study pinpoints most dangerous Seattle Intersections
- MA: More e-bikes available in Boston-area bike shares
- TN: Bike Share Expands to Mud Island
- CA: Speed up safety improvements for bicyclists, peds
- AUS: Tasmania accused of blocking land transfer for bike trail expansion
- CA: Corridor study: Where to spend millions to improve transportation
- MD: Annapolis bike lane experiment ends two weeks early
- CA: Paving the way for the El Dorado Trail
- VA: Popular Greenway bridge closed after being damaged during flooding
- TN: KPD: Greenway still safe despite bloody attack
Heartland Trail Construction
Wayne County, OH - "Construction of the 2.4 mile stretch of trail between Forrer Road and Marshallville will continue through October and possibly into November... ...Wayne County is the missing link to having the entire OTET [Ohio-to-Erie Trail] on trails with fewer or no roads at all." more...
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
Wayne County, OH - Read the October edition.
Griffin Bike Park not Resting on its Laurels
Vigo County, IN - "...One of the park’s recent initiatives is the inclusion of Class 1 E-bikes, which feature “pedal-assist” and will allow people with limited mobility to participate on the trails..." more
Mountain Biker Dies on Valhalla Trail
CO - "A 61-year-old mountain biker died on an expert trail at the Snowmass ski area in central Colorado." more...
Is Pinellas County the Most Dangerous Place to Bicycle?
FL - "...Pasco County had a higher rate of deaths than Pinellas among counties in the Tampa Bay region..." more
Seattle Bike Commuting Hits 10-Year Low
WA - " Last year, just 2.8 percent of workers who live in Seattle biked to work as a primary mode of transportation..." more
- D.C.: Mayor pushing for $500 speeding tickets, 15 mph speed limits
- AZ: Phoenix is cracking down on jaywalking
- VA: Bynum sees proposed Schools Connector trail as beneficial to children’s safety
- MD: Planners, bike advocates see potential of East Street path
- TX: Police continue to investigate identity of pedestrian killed in crash
- AR: Scooters, sidewalks, and trails
- IRE: Deputy mayor defends Youghal greenway plan
Riders Pitch Idea for History Trail
PA - "Michael Fuhrman’s invite was easy to accept. He was offering a bike excursion to the eastern part of Erie, to an area where he’d like to see a waterfront history trail and the reconstruction of three historic forts." more...
Providing Safe Transportation for Everyone
Colorado Springs, CO - "Bike Colorado Springs was disappointed to read The Gazette’s recent editorial claiming that the new bike lanes in and around downtown Colorado Springs are 'impeding traffic'..." more
- UT: Björr Trail officially opened at Beaver Mountain
- CAN: First phase of the Okanagan Rail Trail opens
- TN: Jogger attacked on Ten Mile Greenway
Bicycle Turning Boxes Installed in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "The Two Stage Bicycle Turn Boxes are complete at both ends of the Detroit-Superior bridge. TSBTBs are a safe, low-stress option for making a left turn in busy intersections..." more
Bicyclists Meet in Mt. Vernon
Mt. Vernon, OH - "Making streets and roads safer for bicyclists was a major concern expressed by people attending a meeting on the future of bicycling in Mount Vernon and Knox County..." more
Ohio Woman Rescued off Mount Cardigan
NH - "Fish and Game conservation officers helped an Ohio woman get safely off the summit of Mount Cardigan after she had become lost Thursday night and had no lights." more...
Ohio River Greenway Nearing Completion
Clarksville, IN - "...When finished, the Ohio River Greenway will connect New Albany, Clarksville and Jeffersonville. The Clarksville portion of the pedestrian-friendly pathway is still under construction." more...
Promoting Bike & Ped Routes
Bowling Green, KY - "... the Bicycle Pedestrian Advisory Committee of the Bowling Green-Warren County Metropolitan Planning Organization is about to go public with its mission of promoting bicycling and pedestrian travel in the city." more...
Death Penalty Sought in NYC Bike Path Attack
NY - "A man charged with using a truck to kill eight people last year on a New York City bike path will face the death penalty at a trial next year..." more
6 Miles of Columbia Gorge Path Now Open
OR - "It's been just over a year since the Eagle Creek fire tore through the Columbia River Gorge, and while many trails and trailheads remain closed to the public, one segment of paved pathway is now open." more...
Alleged Greenway Rapist Pleads Guilty
Yakima, WA - "A teen accused of raping a woman at the Yakima Greenway has pleaded guilty Friday morning." more...
- NY: Repairs Coming To Fort Washington Pedestrian Bridge
- OR: Ashland hopes to stretch the Greenway
- NM: Río Grande Trail grows by 34 miles in Taos County
- WI: 'Road Diets' & Other Plans For Milwaukee Streets
- FL: Mother hit on bike on Bay To Bay
Clintonville Neighborhood Bikeways Project
Clintonville, OH - "Neighborhoods like Clintonville are already home to miles of bike paths, but some residents want to expand accessibility to biking from the path to the neighborhood streets." more...
Closing the Harlem Road Trail Gap
New Albany, OH - "...City leaders want to build a trail connection on Harlem between Greensward and Dublin-Granville roads, Stefanov said. The gap is about a quarter mile..." more
Galena Trail Progress
New Flint-Area Section of Iron Belle Trail Opens
MI - "...bikers and hikers gathered outside of the Genesee County Parks Administration Building on Thursday to officially open a 2¼-mile (3.6-kilometer) stretch of paved trail." more
Memorial Ride And 'Ghost Scooter' Planned For Fallen Rider
D.C. - "...Organizers of the ride are calling on the city to make changes in the often chaotic traffic circle, and they plan to install a seemingly first-of-its-kind 'ghost scooter' memorial." more...
Uber CEO Calls for E-Bike-Friendly Cities
D.C. - "Dara Khosrowshahi, the CEO of ride-share company Uber, says e-bikes are often the best way to get around a city, especially during rush hours..." more
Helmets Banned from Yankee Stadium
NY - "...The New York Post reported last week that helmets of almost any kind—bicycle, motorcycle, or baseball—are not permitted in Yankee Stadium..." more
- TX: Austin prepares for ‘silver tsunami’ of older pedestrians
- OR: Portland launches e-scooter rider survey
- WA: Disappointing bike commute data is ‘neither surprising nor inevitable’
- AUS: UK cyclist died instantly in race collision, inquest told
- TX: New lift-served bike park will operate year-round
- VA:Getting around Huntley Meadows Park is an obstacle to some bicyclists.
- IA: Officer pursues vehicles on bike trail
- MO: Eldon on the trail to a healthy community
- OR: Greenway project Phase II may be flickering
- ND: Man pleads guilty to sexually assaulting woman on Greenway
- CHN: Chengdu to build a livable 'Garden City
Knox County Parks E-News
Read the fall newsletter.
Huffy President to Retire
Dayton, OH - "...In his 25-year tenure with the company, Smith has spent the past eight years as CEO, leading the company's return to profitability after emerging from bankruptcy in 2005..." more
Why Aging Boomers Need Walkable Cities
"...The fundamental issue in America is that almost anywhere they try to implement Vision Zero, almost everyone in those cities drives. They aren’t willing to be slowed down, they object, and the politicians refuse to do anything that's going to make drivers angry." more...
Safety Board Responds to Ped Crashes
"...It’s the agency’s first serious examination of pedestrian deaths in two decades." more...
- TX: San Marcos introduces bike share system
- MD: Pedaling Annapolis’ New Bike-Sharing Plan
- VA: Capital Bikeshare expands in Fairfax
- MO: Streetcar Authority asks scooter riders to ‘Respect the Rail’
- IL: Evanston agrees to buy Oak Park Divvy stations, extend bike-share contract
- OR: City lowers speed limits on Marine Drive west of 33rd
- WA: Decline in Seattle bike commuting, especially by women
- IL: Noble Square Road Rage Attack
- OR: Making headway on the Greenway
- VA: Warrenton Branch Greenway celebrates 20 years
- IRE: Fight goes on despite greenway fudge
- IRE: Greenway decision was ‘soul destroying,’ says councillor
- TX: Parking meters installed along north side of hike and bike trail
- VA: Fauquier needs better resources for bicyclists
Little Miami Trail Section Closure
Wayne Twp., OH - The closure of the trail section between New Burlington Rd. and Roxanna New Burlington Rd has been pushed back to next week, Oct. 1-5.
This section was scheduled for paving this week, but has been rescheduled due to rain.
Bike-Hike Trail Closures
Hudson, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "First Energy is continuing utility pole replacement work along the Bike & Hike Trail in Stow and Hudson. A trail closure will be in effect for the section of trail at Hampshire Road heading north to Barlow Road. The closure will be in effect until November 5, which is an extension of the original projected completion date."
"[On Nov. 5] First Energy expects to begin utility line work between Barlow Rd. and State Route 303 in Hudson. A trail closure will be in effect for the duration of this project, which is expected to last approximately seven weeks..."
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Bikes Lanes & Path Coming to Durham
NC - "...In the city, Durham is planning for new bike lanes on parts of 10 roads." more...
Guardrails Installed to Protect Trail Users
Austin, TX - "Permanent guardrails have been put in place near Austin's popular hike and bike trail after a driver hit and killed a man on the trail." more...
- TN: Alert after reports of man exposing himself in Metro parks
- NE: Police investigating robberies along downtown Lincoln bike trail
- FL: Leaders move ahead with plans for a multi-million dollar bi-county bike trail
- VA: Driver mistakes bike path for community-center entrance
- CA: Sacramento Land Owners Fight Bike Path Proposal
- OR: Portland bike commute numbers
Bike-Hike Trail Closure
Boston Heights, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "The Bike & Hike Trail at the Boston Heights tunnel just south of Route 303 will be closed for approximately four weeks. There will be a signed detour available across Akron-Cleveland Road."
Art Benches along Athens Trail
Athens, OH - "First of a series of planned Art Benches in Athens..." more
Self-Driving Shuttle Unveiled
Columbus, OH - "...Testing of the all-electric vehicles will begin this week, and the shuttles will begin accepting passengers in December..." more
City Says Bike Lanes Are Coming To Smallman Street
Pittsburgh, PA - "The City of Pittsburgh says a five-block bike lane is coming to the Strip District..." more
‘Poopy Bandit’ Steals Child’s Bike
MI - "Local authorities in Michigan are still looking for the culprit caught on a surveillance cameral." more...
Philly Considers New Officer Class
Philadelphia, PA - "A new class of traffic enforcement officer is expected to be proposed Thursday in City Council to tackle gridlock afflicting Center City." more...
The Bike Commuter Gap
"...Where is American cycling growing?" more...
Infrastructure Biggest Factor in Bike Safety
MN - "...Researchers used bike-mounted cameras and recording equipment to study 3,000 passing events in Hennepin County..." more
"...Another e-scooterer was killed last week in Washington, D.C. — the third such fatality in just over a month..." more
Emphasizing Bicycling Safety
U.S. - "...Many states have committed to addressing bicyclist safety by making bicyclist safety an emphasis area in their SHSP." more...
World's First Recycled Plastic Bike Lane
NLD - "...Zwolle, one of the country's "greenest cities," implemented the world's first bicycle lane composed of post-consumer waste that would normally be discarded or incinerated." more...
Volkswagen Launches Cargo E-Bike
GER - "...Volkswagen’s (VW) cargo e-bike is equipped with a 250-watt mid motor combined with an automatic transmission." more...
- LA: Lyft driver donates bike to man who walks 18 miles/day
- NY: Concern raised over Empire State Trail upkeep
- IRE: Rally in support of Quiet Man greenway draws thousands
- IRE: Council reveal plans for ambitious Greenway project
- MA: National Seashore Awards Contract for Bike Trail and Connector
- CT: Man confesses to killing trail jogger
- AUS: New route recommended for heritage railway and rail trail
Greenway Funds Sought to Replace Dead Trees
Niagara Falls, NY - "...DeSantis said the money will help cut down and replant about 280 ash trees, but [it's] estimated between 1,000 and 2,000 hardwoods in the Falls are devastated." more...
Bikes Coast into Swiss Constitution
"...Some 73.6% of voters said 'yes' on Sunday to giving federal authorities more responsibility in coordinating and developing cycle paths nationwide..." more
- CAN: Redneck duathlon celebrates new bike trail
- IRE: Delay in finishing first stage of Slieve Bloom Trail
- CAN: Sarnia's vision for a bike-friendly community
- KS: Pittsburg Trail Project
- UK: Mass cycling event to celebrate The Greenway opening
- NC: Greenway construction in West Asheville to take 1 year
- IRE: Thousands attend rally in support of Galway greenway
Linking Kenmore Blvd to the Towpath Trail
Akron, OH - "...[Kenmore Neighborhood] alliance received $20,000 grants from the Knight Foundation and the Akron Civic Commons project to link Kenmore Boulevard to the Towpath Trail and to improve safety for bikers of the trail." more...
Downed Trees Cleared from Kokosing Trail
Knox County, OH - "...Surprise! Before they could get to the cherry at the 6-mile mark, they had to clear two huge oak trees at the 2-mile mark and then pull a widow-maker down at the 3-mile mark..." more
Proposed Olentangy Trail Connector
Columbus, OH - "...The proposal calls for two bridges, 200 feet each, across the river, and follow the edge of the OhioHealth campus..." more
Pollinator Park Plans Include Loop Trail System
Columbus, IN - "...The project in Columbus is being called a pollinator park because it is meant to support insects and birds that pollinate plants..." more
National Park Reopens After Eruption
Honolulu, HI - " A national park in Hawaii has reopened after being closed for more than four months because of Kilauea volcano's latest eruption..." more
- CA: Hiker Collapses, Dies on Trail in Cleveland National Forest
- UK: Crowdfunder for bike trail
- MD: Controversial bike lane in Annapolis
- CAN: Hurt cyclist airlifted off trail
- GA: North Oconee River Greenway opens addition near College Station
Athens Bike Path Spur Officially Open
New CoGo Bike Share Stations
Columbus, OH - "...Many of the two dozen-plus new stations are already stocked with bikes, and the attached kiosks..."
"...The new additions bring the total number of stations to 72..." more
New Trail in Elizabeth Park
Trenton, MI - "...The Greenway project is a three-quarter mile non-motorized trail along the park canal that eventually will provide a link that will connect to the Detroit International Wildlife Refuge Gateway and Trenton’s Central Business District." more...
Fundraising For Trail Rescue Equipment
MI - "Lyndon Township is known for its recreational outdoor activities-whether its a water sport among one of its many lakes, hiking through its parks, hunting on the many acres of state land or bicycling on the trails..." more
Measure Introduced to Make Biking Illegal on Riverwalk
Chicago, IL - "Seemingly a victim of its own success, the popular Chicago Riverwalk may soon come under new rules requiring cyclists to walk—not ride—their bikes on the 1.25-mile-long linear park connecting downtown and the Chicago Lakefront Trail." more...
AASHTO Draft Finally Includes Protected Bike Lanes
U.S. - "...A draft edition of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials’ Bike Guide, an engineering manual used by transportation planners nationwide, includes for the first time a host of security measures such as protected bike lanes, protected intersections, sidewalk level bike lanes and parking protected bike lanes — designs that some cities have successfully implemented for years." more...
Cyclists Saving Lives in Africa
"A pilot program in Zambia drastically reduced fatality rates, prompting calls to expand the model across the continent." more...
- UK: Galway cyclists urge councillors to support Athenry Tuam Greenway
- NC: New Segment of Crabtree Creek Greenway Opens
- MN: Phase 1 of Mason city bike trail system completed
- IA: Mount Trashmore trails, overlook closed due to vandalism and wet conditions
- MD: Students Find Body Near Bike Path
- WI: 12 pedestrians struck by vehicles, killed in Milwaukee this year
- OR: How not to do bike parking
- TX: Autopsy confirms likely first electric scooter death in US
Kenmore Blvd Connection to the Towpath
Akron, OH - "...The city of Akron recently conducted an 18-block project that added protected bicycle lanes. Better connection between Kenmore Boulevard and the Towpath Trail emerged as a top priority..." more
Trails Caucus Excursion on the Towpath Trail
Cleveland, OH - "...The tour, organized in large part by Buckeye Trail Association President Steve Walker, provided participants an opportunity to see how the development of the Towpath Trail is transforming the Cuyahoga River Valley..." more
Cyclist Hate Group Gets Push Back
NKY - "...Since the beginning of the week, the group has become closed, instead of public, and changed its name to 'Share the Road'." more...
Public Feedback Needed on U.S. Bike Route 50
Weirton, WV - "...To connect Ohio, West Virginia and Pennsylvania, the route would cross the Market Street bridge and then utilize one--or a combination--of five routes..." more
Trail connections are also being planning in Weirton.
Ann Arbor Plans for Scooter Parking
MI - "...Once the terms are agreed upon, she said, it would set parameters for where scooters should be parked." more...
The Minneapolis Plan for Dockless Bike Share
MN - "One of the U.S.’s oldest station-based bike-share systems is going free-range, but Nice Ride thinks it can provide a new, less chaotic model." more...
Video Shows Bus Driver Running Into Citi Bike Rider
NYC - "...A video showing Coach USA operator Dave Lewis driving his 50,000-pound bus over Citi Bike rider Dan Hanegby bolsters the prosecution case that Lewis was reckless as he tried to pass the cyclist..." more
Kroger's Driverless Grocery Delivery
"The largest grocery chain in the U.S. recently announced they are testing driverless grocery delivery in Scottsdale, Arizona..." more
- WI: Bicyclist safety around The Hop
- OR: New keypads coming to Biketown bikes
- KS: Trails set for Little Jerusalem -- Kansas’ newest state park
- MO: 'Six Creeks Greenway' to be name of proposed 30-mile loop
- PA: Bucks towns get $3.45M in state sewer, greenway and other projects
- OR: Pedal Power clearcut would make for some bike trail
Upcoming Little Miami Trail Section Closure
Wayne Twp., OH - "The week of September 24th the trail will be CLOSED between New Burlington Rd. and Roxanna New Burlington Rd [a 4.3-mile section] for paving..." more...
Right-Sizing Akron Streets for Safety
Akron, OH - "...Redesigning and re-striping our streets is a cost-effective and responsible way to slow traffic down, improving safety for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists alike." more...
Teen Uses Gun to Steal Bike
Cleveland, OH - "An unidentified teen took a 14-year-old boy's bicycle at gunpoint Tuesday on the basketball courts outside Cleveland's Thurgood Marshall Recreation Center..." more...
Wesleyan MetroPark About to Grow
Legislation Would Fine Scooter Riders
Cincinnati, OH - "An ordinance before Cincinnati City Council would fine people using motorized scooters if they use them on city sidewalks." more...
Greenway Cleanup Continues in the Wake of Florence
VA - "...So far, more than 20 tons of debris has been removed from the Roanoke River Greenway along Wiley Drive." more...
Greenway Hi-Rail Nearing Completion
Evansville, IN - "...The 2.5-mile expansion of the Pigeon Creek Greenway runs along the west side of Highway 41 from Riverside Drive to Walnut Street." more...
Anti-Bicycle Group Draws Controversy
KY - "Admins with "NKY Hates Bicyclists" say they're just trading harmless jokes about cyclists. But riders say they're inciting violence and engaging in hate speech." more...
Denver is Expanding its Broadway Bike Lanes
CO - "The city of Denver plans to run a new two-way bike path along a lengthy stretch of Broadway, replacing another automobile lane as it tries to open up the busy corridor to new users." more...
Has Vision Zero Lost its Way?
"Any city can brand its safety projects ‘Vision Zero’..." more
- LA: New Orleans Gets a Protected Bike Lane Demo
- NY: NYPD Security Plan for UN Meeting Kills 1st and 2nd Ave. Bike Lanes
- MD: Bill would set new max speed limits for Baltimore’s streets and alleys
- CAN: Montreal looks to curb pedestrian death toll
- FL: Driver on drugs hits and kills bicyclist on sidewalk
- OR: Rally shows support for protected bikeways
- TN: Altercation over bicycle leads to man shot, charge of attempted murder
- NLD: Four children killed in Netherlands as train hits cargo bicycle
- NY: State to offer hiking shuttle for Columbus Day weekend
- OR: Medford resident organizes greenway clean up effort
- TX: How new bayou trails are connecting 'forgotten' Houston
- MN: EDA votes to support DNR plans for Fall River bike trail bridge
- ME: Mountain bike club working with Topsham to develop bike trails
- WI: Trail Into Phelps Brings Debate
- NE: Omaha Police patrolling city trails after receiving public concerns
Proposed Plan to Connect Trails in Mansfield
Submitted by Nelson Shogren
Towpath - Temporary Section Closing
Massillon, OH - From starkparks.com, "The Towpath Trail will be closed between Cherry St. and Lincoln Way on Saturday, Sept. 22 from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. for sewer work."
Olentangy Trail Trailhead Closed
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "...A majority of the [Worthington Hills] shopping center including the trailhead parking area has been fenced off for construction.
"Parking and trailhead access has been temporarily located behind the Hills Market..." more
Columbus to be 'Rather Lenient' with Scooter Rules
Columbus, OH - "...In order to embrace these new types of mobility we’re going to be rather lenient. There will be a learning curve for everybody..." more
$5M Bond set for Rape Suspect
Ravenna, OH - "Bond was set at $5 million for the man accused of a series of rapes that occurred along the Berlin Hike and Bike Trail." more...
Crossing Guards Make Streets Safer
Philadelphia, PA - "...Crossing guards in Philadelphia don't just keep students safe..." more
Community Helps Vet Whose Bike was Stolen
MI - "Neighbors rushed to his aid to get him back on his sole mode of transportation." more...
$6.5M Grant to Expand Empire State Trail
NY - "...We're going to be building or improving more than 20 miles of new off-road bicycle and pedestrian trails here in the region..." more
Car-Free Day in Paris
FRA - "As part of Paris’s push to drastically limit the number of cars, it’s having its annual day of letting pedestrians see what it would be like if they city was designed entirely for them." more...
- WA: Yakima firefighters, Greenway staff plan solutions for fires
- IRE: Council backs East Cork greenway
- TN: Construction of Phase I greenway project may soon begin
- IRE: Old Youghal railway line to be repurposed as greenway
- WI: Obey 'Trail Closed' signs in marsh
- MN: Fergus Falls adds protected riding area
- ME: New club working with Topsham to add bike trails
- MA: Pedestrian Safety Plan Includes Snow Removal
- MN: Can you give up your car for one day, Minneapolis?
- OR: Portland says e-bike use on park paths is a violation
- WA: Confidential mediation is no way to govern public decisions like bike lanes
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Progress
Protected Bike Lane Attracting Riders
Columbus, OH - "When plans for two new bike lanes stretching from Downtown to Hudson Street were first announced in 2015, it was clear that the project was meant to be a departure from the norm for the city." more...
Biking & Parking can Coexist
Richmond, IN - "...On Monday night, Richmond Common Council unanimously voted to kill a proposed ordinance that would have taken back council's approval for the city to spend grant funds on a bike path..." more
The State of Funding for Trails
U.S. - "...The most recent report was just released, summarizing how states used Transportation Alternatives funding in 2017." more...
Woman Killed by E-Bike Rider
UK - "Sakine Cihan was struck by a power-assisted bicycle as she was crossing a road in London." more...
Study: Riding E-Bikes Does not Lead to Health Benefits
"A recent study compared the effect of different modes of transport on the BMI of thousands of European commuters..." more
- FRA: France to triple size of transport cycling in time for the 2024 Olympics
- OR: Police deploy canine, air support units to chase down bike thief
- WA: SDOT finds that Eastlake Ave still needs bike lanes
- NY: Poughkeepsie receives Greenway grant for College Hill Park
- NY: The future for an alternative transport network in the Capital District
- WA: Yakima Greenway fire along I-82 still burning
- NC: Aftermath of Florence's heavy rain in the western Triad
- IRE: Councillor says Greenway extension 'crucial' for local economy
- MA: Rollerblader injured on Provincelands Bike Trail
- IL: Geneva residents concerned bike path extension could increase crime
- IA: KeWash Trailhead Ribbon-Cutting Ceremony
Smoothing the Ride on the Kokosing Gap Trail
Scooter War Hits Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "Have you tried the new electric scooters in Downtown Cincinnati yet?" more...
Route of the Hiawatha Having Record-Breaking Season
Wallace, ID - "Still with a week left until closing, The Route of the Hiawatha Scenic Bike Trail in the Silver Valley has already set records for visitors this season." more...
Fake Bike Helmets
"...These days, most counterfeits are sold over the Internet, right into your home. And some of them could seriously hurt you." more...
- AUS: Councillors try to stop unwanted bike path
- CA: Changes considered for Vine Trail through St. Helena
- AL: Greenway along the blueway
- IRE: Councillors divided over Western Rail Corridor proposals
- FL: Orlando considers bike sharing regulations
- FL: Why we can’t have nice things in Miami
- FRA: France wants to triple bike use with better cycle lanes
Clare Rail Trail Receives Funding
MI - "Support for an off-road alignment of a popular rail trail in Clare has come in the form of a grant." more...
Proposed Budget Includes Tax Hike for Nickel Plate Trail
Fishers, IN - "...A portion of that increase—1 to 1.5 cents—will go toward a $12 million bond that will be used in part to construct the first phase of the trail..." more
Trail Town Trial Runs
KY - "Four communities will coordinate events this weekend in hopes of inching closer to receiving state designations as Trail Towns." more...
Bike Shops Hurting from Creeper Trail Closure
Damascus, VA - "...Days later, the storm has yet to hit our area, and now local businesses are saying the closure was unnecessary and bad for business." more...
Environmentalists Sue over MTB Trails Project
MN - "A Minnetonka group opposing the construction of mountain biking trails in a local park has sued the city after it rejected a petition for an environmental review of the project." more...
Trails Designed to Withstand Storms
San Antonio, TX - "On rainy days, the city's hike and bike trail system saves lives." more...
The East Coast Greenway Project
U.S. - "...The dream of a 3,000-mile protected biking and walking route, Maine to Florida, represents a commitment and opportunity in each of the 450 communities we connect..." more
- NY: State-funded trail set to connect park with Dutchess Rail Trail
- MA: Bike path group grilled over %50K request
- WA: 3people escape Yakima Greenway fire
- GA: Chattahoochee upgrades would span from Lake Lanier to Newnan
Black River Bikeway Construction Moving Along
Little Miami Trail Crossing Safety Initiative
SW OH - "...At its September 12 meeting, the FLMSP board approved an initiative to improve intersection safety through the marking of crossings in phase 1 and through the posting of trail crossing signs to alert drivers in phase 2..." more
Clintonville Bike Routes Push Back
Columbus, OH - "...Andrew Overbeck, a Clintonville resident... said bicyclists can now ride down any street they want. It makes sense to have a route down Torrence..." more
Recent Trail Attacks Spark Safety Reminders
Geauga County, OH - "...carry a cellphone, pepper spray and if you see something, say something. She suggested people walk or run with a buddy to deter danger." more...
Friends of Little Miami E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Knox County Parks E-News
Knox County, OH - Read the latest edition.
Buhl Park Opens Bike, Skateboard Track
Hermitage, PA - "...Buhl Park quietly opened its pump track and mountain bike trail last week under the name: 'The Tracks'." more...
City Parks Closed for Hurricane Florence
Morgantown, NC - "...The city announced on its Facebook page on Friday that all city parks and the Morganton Greenway System will close at noon Saturday..." more
Delaware Continues Bike Path Building Boom
DE - "A week after opening a $20 million 345-foot wooden bicycle bridge near Wilmington, the state on Wednesday awarded a contract for construction of another pathway, this time in southern Delaware." more...
Bike Industry Veterans Launch New Company
Salt Lake City, UT - "...A spokesman would only say that Trust will be 'introducing a product line in the MTB space.'" more...
- IRE: Groups invited to participate in diversity project on greenway
- IRE: Thurles-Clonmel greenway gets support
- OK: Attorney sues city to stop land transfer for bike trail
- GA: Lenox Square to be transformed into mini parks
- MD: Annapolis mayor, city council clash over Main Street bike lane
- OR: Pressure builds to keep Better Naito in place
Trails Transform America
Dayton, OH - "Watch the video.
$90M Promised for Indiana Trails
IN - "...Announced last week by Gov. Eric Holcomb, the money is aimed at hiking, biking and horseback riding trails that fill in the gaps between existing trails and communities." more...
Family of Cyclist Killed by Trash Truck Reaches $6M Settlement
Philadelphia, PA - "Settlement includes $125,000 to be spent to improve cycling safety in Philadelphia in the name of Emily Fredricks." more...
Adaptive Signals Not Working Well in Seattle
WA - "Things don’t always work as planned. That certainly must be the feeling at the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) after the rollout of high-tech adaptive traffic signals along Mercer Street." more...
City Council Tries to Nix Bike Lane
Richmond, VA - "A bid to nix a North Richmond bike lane encountered spirited pushback Tuesday from more than 250 people, many of them cyclists..." more
Makeshift "Speed Bump" Takes Down Cycling Group
AUS - "A homemade bump in the road apparently aimed at 'noisy' motor vehicles has left a group of early morning cyclists in a mangled heap." more...
The Dutch Vision for Sustainable Transportation
CA - "As part of San Francisco's Global Climate Action Summit, Dutch representatives discuss policies for low-to-no emissions mobility." more...
Fatal Truck Crashes Surge in U.S.
"...More than 4,300 people were killed in collisions with semis and other large trucks in 2016, a 28 percent increase over 2009, according to the federal government..." more
- FL: Deputy chases speeding car down sidewalk
- OR: PBOT explains why they’re making it harder to drive
- TN: Bear euthanized after body of missing man found
- SC: Suspect sought in assault of 2 women on West Ashley Greenway
- UK: Over £500,000 to improve Greenway in heart of Waterside
- IA: Award-winning bike trail celebrates fifth anniversary
- NM: Popular hiking trail re-route, bike trail construction
- NV: Bike path to connect Elko to Trail Center
Univ. of Cincinnati Converts Sidewalk to Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "Did you know @uofcincy recently converted the sidewalk along Jefferson Ave into a trail from University Ave to Classen Park?.." more
The State of Alternative Transportation in Columbus
Columbus, OH - "Over the course of the last five years, there has been a lot of transportation news in Columbus..." more
9-Year-Old Hospitalized from Hit-and-Run
Philadelphia, PA - "The 9-year-old girl was riding a bicycle on the 200 block of Lindley Avenue Monday shortly before 7:30 p.m. when she was struck by a vehicle which fled the scene." more...
New Greenway Trail Coming to Evansville
IN - "The paving along Highway 41 for a new Hi-Rail Greenway trail is underway..." more
5 Things to Know About Baltimore's Bike Lane Dispute
MD - "A City Council bill that would repeal part of Baltimore’s fire code to allow new bike lanes and encourage development projects is awaiting Mayor Catherine Pugh’s signature." more...
Pump Thefts Lead to Flooded Bike Path
Madison, WI - "Madison city officials say the theft of nearly all of the pumps along Lake Monona at the Capital City Bike Trail resulted in the path being closed from more than eight inches of water." more...
Sabotaged Bike Share Brakes May Have Caused Crash
Seattle, WA - "An 18-year-old who was hospitalized this week after a crash near the University Bridge may be the first victim of a bike share vandal who cut the brake lines on his Lime e-bike." more...
We're Designing Bike Lanes Wrong
"More trees, please." more...
New Data on U.S. Bike Commuting
"The Census Bureau has released the 2017 1-year estimates for how people are commuting to work based on the American Community Survey." more...
Pedego Shifts Some E-Bike Production to Vietnam
CA - "...DiCostanzo, who has had most of his company's e-bikes made in China since starting the business in 2008, wasn't anticipating the U.S. tariffs..." more
- ID: Portneuf Greenway Foundation unveils Marshall-Racine trail system
- AUS: Sydney Trains delays causing chaos for the GreenWay
- IA: New extension coming soon to Summerset Trail in Indianola
- IL: Palatine Secures Federal Grant To Build Harper College Bike Path
- FL: Tallahassee man sexually assaulted woman
- MA: Eagle Scout candidate's trail project completed
- AZ: Dockless, electric scooters are banned from Tucson streets
- LA: Locals can use the city’s bike-share program for free this month
- OR: $1M approved for next phase of Gateway Green bike park
- TX: Rash of bike thefts in EaDo
- NH: Manchester cop unchains bike, gives it to wrong guy
Feds Reject Company's Request to Acquire Rail Line
Warren, OH - "...Still open is the possibility the Trumbull County MetroParks will be granted access to the line to construct the final phase of the Western Reserve Greenway hike and bike trail." more...
E-Scooters Banned from Columbus Sidewalks
OH - "The ban of electronic scooters on city of Columbus sidewalks proposed by mayor Andrew Ginther is now in effect." more...
Trailside Prairie Restoration
Detroit's Ambitious Transportation Plan
MI - "...The city released an extensive plan to address many of the challenges facing transportation in Detroit." more...
Mid-Atlantic Retailers Brace for Hurricane
Southport, NC - "...Jones spent the day boarding up the new location of City Bicycle Co. ahead of Thursday's expected arrival of Hurricane Florence." more...
Separated Bike Infrastructure is Preferred
"...The results indicated a clear preference for trails — off-road routes through parks — over any other type of infrastructure..." more
Things You Might Not Know About Cycling
"...The routine behaviors of people who ride in the street with traffic are often met with confusion or even incredulity by those who have never attempted it..." more
Uber Was Right
"The scooter backlash vindicates Travis Kalanick’s early tactics." more...
- FL: More bike lanes, angled parking planned for St. Petersburg streets
- RI: E-bike sharing system hitting the street in downtown Providence
- CT: Fairfield Health Department offers free bike share to residents
- OR: There are crossing flags at a NE Portland intersection
- WA: Cascade launches campaign to promote city-wide bike network
- MT: Keep Bikes Rolling in Montana
- UK: Western Rail Corridor greenway campaign moves up a gear
- IRE: €53m worth of funding for Greenway projects
- MN: Three Rivers Parks gets $100K grant for bike trail
- AK: City of Little Rock considers adding bike lanes
Stark Parks Trail Closures Due to Flooding
Stark County, OH - Towpath Trail: "Several inches of rain over the weekend have flooded many sections of the trail. The trail is closed until further notice."
Mahoning Valley Trail: "Water is over the trail in many areas and closed from Gaskill St. to Rockhill Ave. after several inches of rain over the weekend. This portion of the trail is closed until further notice."
$1M Bond for Berlin Lake Trail Rape Suspect
Ravenna, OH - "...He faces one count of rape, with additional charges expected after the case is presented to a grand jury." more...
$2.4M in Donations to MetroParks
Canfield, OH - "Mill Creek MetroParks Development Director Chris Litton reported Monday the MetroParks has brought in more than $2.4 million in private donations so far this year. That is substantially more than the previous annual totals..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Boy Gets New Bike After His is Stolen
Solon, OH - "A 10-year-old boy says he was heartbroken when someone stole his bike." more...
Using Pool Noodles to Combat Dangerous Drivers
CAN - "...A soft, simple, harmless tube that some cyclists are choosing to mount under their seats so that cars learn to leave one-metre’s distance when passing them on the road..." more
E-Scooter Use Increasing Trips to the Emergency Room
"...Injuries are coming in fast and furious..." more
Your Responsibilities as a Cyclist
"This is a sentence you often hear that's completely untrue: 'Cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers'..." more
- CA: California could soon end helmet law
- OR: Man just can't stop driving; now he's going to prison
- MN: Minneapolis wants more neighborhood destinations
- NC: Law firm to host meeting over Cleveland County rail trail
- CA: Search On For Who Attacked Man On Popular Bike Trail
- DE: $22.5 million Markell bike-hike trail opens
- TX: Runners, bikers excited for new guardrail on popular Austin trail
- VA: 2018 Roanoke Valley Greenway Plan being presented
- NV: Woman on motorized wheelchair dies after hit by truck in Henderson
- UK: Masked man reportedly fired at a man walking on the Connswater Greenway
- MN: Winona City Council reaffirms support for Flyway Trail
Columbus-Area Trail Alert
Columbus, OH - From Columbus MetroParks, "Please use caution, there is silt build up on the trails from the rainstorms and trails may be slick."
Grant Could Help Fund Trail
Forty Fort, PA - "A state grant could help pay for part of a proposed bike and walking trail in Forty Fort and Kingston." more...
Cheshire Celebrates Opening of New Trail Section
CT - "Children who grew up learning to bike on the fledgling Farmington Heritage Canal Trail decades ago can now ride 34 uninterrupted miles with the unveiling of the completed 0.8 mile gap on Sunday." more...
A Little History Regarding Irish Greenways
IRE - "...The Mayo and Waterford greenways, which opened in 2010 and 2017, respectively, are cited as the ‘forerunners’ of the movement." more...
- GA: Savannah e-scooter ban planned to get ahead of fast-moving start-ups
- OR: Portland police say they are too busy to watch for drunken drivers
- CAN: Jennifer Keesmaat announces bold road safety plan for Toronto
- GA: Friends of Memorial Drive Greenway launch campaign for Linear Park
Barnesville Trail to Become Reality
Barnesville, OH - "...the cost to the village would be $95,000 for the $2,145,000 project, which will convert the old B&O Railroad bed through the village into a walking and bike trail and pay for major repairs to the railroad tunnel so it can safely accommodate the trail..." more
LMST Section to be Rerouted
Bike-Friendly Improvements Coming to Clintonville
Clintonville, OH - "...New markings will be painted on certain streets and new signs will be installed, with the goal of establishing a bike-friendly network that will connect a variety of destinations..." more
It's Official - Kentucky gets Safe Passing Law
KY - "...Governor Bevin signed HB33 which says that motorists are to give 3 ft of clearance when passing a bicycle..." more
NTN Trail Extension Merits/Concerns
MI - "Although it’s not quite a done deal just yet, Marquette Township is clearly making progress on the establishment of a half-mile non-motorized pathway..." more
Nickel Plate Trail Faces Key Vote
IN - "Fishers officials on Monday could approve $275,000 in contracts to two companies to design and market the city's planned stretch of the Nickel Plate Trail." more...
New 4-MIle Stretch of Trail Opens on Eastside Rail Corridor
WA - "The transformation of abandoned BNSF train tracks into a trail for pedestrians and cyclists continues..." more
- NY: Frankfort mayor objects to trail maintenance costs
- CA: Man shot and killed on bike trail bridge
- GA: Members of UGA, Athens biking community promote safety for pedestrians, bikers
- VT: Burlington Greenway updates for September
- CT: Branford to Cut Ribbon on Shoreline Greenway Trail's Tabor
Protesters Disrupt Groundbreaking for Lakefront Trail
Euclid, OH - "More than 100 labor union demonstrators disrupted the ceremonial groundbreaking for the newest stage of the city's waterfront improvement project Thursday." more...
Suspect Arrested for Sexual Assaults on Trail
Deerfield Twp., OH - "Authorities have arrested a suspect who allegedly sexually assaulted two women on the Berlin Hike and Bike Trail in Deerfield Township earlier this summer, according to the Portage County Sheriff's Office." more...
Questions Remain about Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail
Solon, OH - "The fate of the proposed Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail has yet to be decided." more...
Man Dies after Bike Crash
Logan County, OH - "Headed home after a long bicycle ride in Logan County last week, Clifton “Butch” Sower might have been trying to avoid a large turtle before he was found thrown from his bike on Route 287." more...
Caution Urged at New Trail Crossing
Chardon, OH - "Chardon drivers need to pay better attention to the new Maple Highlands Trail crossing on Center Street, according to local residents who say they witnessed what could have become a deadly accident..." more
Another Mosquito with West Nile Virus Found
Veteran Brutally Beaten on Rio Linda Bike Trail
CA - "According to Sacramento Police, 73-year-old Chuck Lane was attacked while riding his bike home..." more
PBOT's Bike Traffic Circles
Portland, OR - "Portland traffic engineers and planners have a new favorite treatment when two bike routes intersect: a traffic circle!" more...
The Town Where Jaywalking can Cost You Hundreds
Columbia, SC - "Man gets ticket for $232, 4 points on his license." more...
Domestic Rack Makers Favor Proposed Tariffs
UT - "Saris's owner said his company has been 'abandoned by bicycle trade and industry groups' who sided with importers." more...
- UK: London boroughs to impose ultra-low emission zones
- OR: Medford Police sweep greenway after grass fires
- MO: Architecture Professor Among Design Team Selected for Chouteau Greenway
- VA: BOS tables controversial bike trail
- DE: Jack A. Markell bike trail officially opens
- WI: Damaged, closed bike trails force cyclists to re-route
- OK: Bicycles & Gathering Place: What You Need To Know
Temporary Towpath Closures Coming 9/10/18
Summit County, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "Beginning Monday, 9/10 and continuing for approximately one week, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources will be cutting weeds in the canal along the Towpath Trail. This work will include some temporary trail closures on the section of the trail just south of the Manchester Road Trailhead."
E-Scooter Regulations Coming to Columbus
OH - "Enjoy it while it lasts, Columbus. The days of electric scooters zooming along city sidewalks are nearing an end." more...
Niles Awarded Trail Connection Grant
IL - "A $30,000 transportation grant will offset engineering costs for a multimodal trail connecting the North Branch Chicago River Trail to the Touhy Triangle through Bunker Hill Forest Preserve in Niles." more...
Transients Start Greenway Fire While Smoking Meth
Medford, OR - "Two men are in police custody, accused of starting a fire in the Bear Creek Greenway after smoking meth and losing control of a cook fire." more...
Olympic Champ a Paraplegic after Track Crash
Berlin, GER - "Sprint world and Olympic champion Kristina Vogel reveals she is wheelchair-bound after training crash." more...
Felt Refreshes its Brand
CA - "Felt Bicycles has rebranded, with a new logo, new corporate colors, and a new website." more...
Driver Attacks Cyclist with Machete, Dies
CHN - "Chinese police determined that the rider acted in self-defense." more...
- DE: Wilmington to New Castle bike trail
- IL: New Mural Brings Spotlight to Chicago Bike Trail
- OK: Councilors accept bid on bike trail property
- OK: River Parks trail gets a whole new look
- DE: Newark Police look for man who exposed himself along bike trail
- OR: PBOT delays protected lane in Kenton
- WA: The Eastside Rail Trail grows
- MN: Park Tool sues Real World Cycling over tool color
- VT: New Bike Trail Part Of Newport's Lake-Focused Development Plan
- WI: Annual bike fundraiser allows rides through Zoo
- ID: Dedication ceremony for the Marshall-Racine Greenway Trail
- WA: Brush fire along Yakima Greenway considered suspicious
Rolling Closures Coming to Creekside Trail Sept. 19
Greene County, OH - "We've received word that the Creekside Trail in Greene County will experience temporary and rolling closures beginning Sept. 19, for three weeks as an overlay of asphalt is applied..." more
NCIT Detour in Monroeville
OH - "The railroad crossing at Peru Center Road is currently CLOSED, (where the trail crosses the tracks in Monroeville). Thru traffic on the NCIT should detour via Peru Center Rd, US 20, SR 547 and SR 99..." more
Testing "Bird Cages" in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "...When the Bird scooters landed in Cincinnati earlier this month, we decided to take a different approach. Why not embrace, observe, and quickly test solutions as issues emerged related to this new innovation?.." more
3 Feet Law Signing in Kentucky
KY - "Governor Bevin will do the ceremonial signing of HB33, the safer passing law for bicycles AKA 3 ft. law..." more
Safer Streets for All
Philadelphia, PA - "As cities change, so too do the amenities that its residents desire." more...
MoGo Bike Share & Lyft Start Partnership
Detroit, MI - "...The bus system has partnered with both Lyft—a ride-hailing service, and MoGo—the city’s bike share, to help riders with connections. Now Lyft and MoGo are partnering themselves." more...
Obsessing Over Bike Helmets
"...The big problem here is of course, the fact that it is a hit-and-run; without that and the video, nobody would be paying attention. The second problem is the almost universal helmet obsession..." more
Big-Wheel MTBs Sales are Strong
Boulder, CO - "Retail sales of 29-inch mountain bikes grew $36 million in the 12 months ending in June, taking dollar share from 27.5-inch bikes..." more
- NJ: Trail Funding Will Be Wasted if We Don’t Take Action
- LA: Temporary, protected lanes coming to New Orleans
- OR: PBOT’s ambitious Central City in Motion project
- CA: San Jose hit-and-run that injured 2 children caught on camera
- NYC: Anatomy of a Bike Lane Debacle
- NY: Grand opening of River-to-Ridge Trail in New Paltz this Saturday
- TX: Increase in traffic fatalities, serious injuries should be a wake-up call
Section Repaving Completed along Alum Creek Trail
ODOT Plans Bike Lanes along US 52
Hamilton County, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) intends to install bike lanes along US-52 within the existing shoulder space and install signs to connect to the existing bike path..." more
Repurposing Riverside Drive
Toledo, OH - "...Toledo is willing to surrender Riverside Drive, turn it and two parcels of land over to Metroparks and let Metroparks change the landscape at the Marina District." more...
Police Crack Down on Homeless Camps along Trails
Murfreesboro, TN - "...Police are sending a word of warning to the homeless community who are often camped out in the woods along the city’s Greenway walking trails." more...
Hit-and-Run Driver Sentenced to 10 Months
TN - "The driver in the July 2017 Natchez Trace hit-and-run involving a cyclist was sentenced to 10 months in jail today by a U.S. District Court." more...
- UK: Police to test drivers' eyesight and confiscate licences if they fail
- UK: 62% badge cycling on roads “too dangerous”
- OR: PBOT announces early end to Better Naito
- WA: UW Police are piloting bike valet and registration service
- OR: Bear Creek Greenway fires under investigation
- IRE: Agreement can be reached over €20m Kerry greenway
- TN: La Vergne opens new greenway
- IRE: Great Western Greenway to link up with north Mayo
- WA: Patriot moves to fight rails-to-trails project
- DE: A Bridge to the Future of Rails to Trails in Milton
Heartland Trail Construction to Begin Soon
Wayne County, OH - "...the long awaited 2.4 miles stretch of The Heartland Trail from Forrer Road (Orrville) to Marshallville will soon be under construction..."
Learn more in the Wayne County Rail-Trails newsletter.
Battle Over Abandoned Rail Corridor
Aurora, OH - "The city is battling Norfolk Southern Railway and FirstEnergy over a railroad right-of-way that slices diagonally through the city." more...
$2B Ohio Entertainment Complex Plans
Columbus, OH - "...Among its many features: a saltwater lake with a beach and boardwalk; an indoor roller coaster; an extreme-sports facility for surfing, skateboarding and BMX biking; an e-sports arena..." more
Sleeping Bear Trail Meeting Packs Hall
Maple City, MI - "A standing-room-only crowd gathered in Cleveland Township Hall in rural Maple City to participate in a route-planning session for an extension to the Sleeping Bear Heritage Trail..." more
Woman Fights Off Sexual Assault
MA - "A Massachusetts mother says she will head to court Tuesday to face her attacker, days after she says he violated her on a popular bike trail in Saugus." more
Using Red Light Cameras to Enforce Bus / Bike Lanes?
"...According to a database compiled by traffic enthusiasts Jonathan Melby and Angela Buffington, there are over 4,000 traffic cameras in the United States: most of these only record cars that run through red lights..." more
Uber is Building Its Own Scooters
"The company is playing catch-up in a market already flush with billion-dollar startups." more...
- MO: Kansas City considers ‘Road Diets’ for Midtown
- AZ: The jaywalking problem in Arizona
- GA: Bridge over Victory Drive not like one that collapsed
- IRE: East Coast Greenway petition reaches 10,000 signatures
- CAN: City of Vancouver to sell part of Arbutus corridor back to CP for $1
Put Trail on East Side of Olentangy River?
Columbus, OH - "...The Greenway Trail route proposed along the higher ridge to the east and safely removed from 315 is now still the only sensible connection to safely ride, run or walk to Highbanks..." more
Bella Vista Trail Expansion
AR - "The city of Bella Vista will soon add 50 more miles of trails to the central part of the city." more...
197 Landowners Told of Compulsory Purchase Orders for Greenway
IRE - "Council says it has to force land sales after failing to reach agreement after four years." more...
Why Aren't Helmets Mandatory for Drivers?
"...we know that more people get traumatic brain injuries in cars than anywhere else..." more
- TN: State grant to extend bike lane to Bonnaroo
- IA: Mount Trashmore trails, overlook to open Thursday
- CO: US Forest Service gives green light to Palisade Plunge
- IRE: Slieve Bloom bike trails a welcome boost for rural areas
- MO: Clayton plans Maryland Avenue bike lanes separated from driving lanes
- AR: Bentonville Man Arrested For Masturbating On Trail
High Water & Flooding Debris on Trails
Columbus, OH - From Columbus MetroParks, "Please use caution. Flooding and storm debris along sections of trails. Crews conducting clean up."
Work to Keep Trail Open During Flooding
Madison, WI - "...The Capital City Trail bike path opened Saturday morning at the Monona Terrace between Blair and Broom Streets. Sandbags and pumps are being used to keep the path open..." more
- NY: Columbia County may widen roads for Empire State Trail
- WI: Ahnapee Trail Extension officially open
- CA: North Coast trail bill re-imagines SMART rail operations
- CA: Work continues on third phase of Ukiah Rail Trail
- NY: Investigators blaming bicyclist for Phillips Road crash
Towpath Trail Development Near Dover
Tuscarawas County, OH - "Last Saturday, August 25, Tuscarawas County volunteers cleared land in Zoarville for future trail development. The trail runs south of the current Towpath Trail terminus in Zoar and along the Tuscarawas River toward Dover..." more
Boy Killed During Bike Ride Home
Hamilton, OH - "Samy Broyles couldn't bear to remain at the scene for long." more...
Huffy Making Comeback
Dayton, OH - "Years after a bankruptcy refocused the company on its core of bicycles, Huffy Corp. has moved into new headquarters, increased hiring and again has what one analyst calls a "a solid share" of the U.S. market." more...
Storm Damage Brings Temporary Trail Closures
Cadillac, MI - "...Up to 150 trees fell along the Fred Meijer White Pine Trail in the area between Cadillac and the village of Leroy and in the area between Paris and Big Rapids..." more
Bike Lanes Being Moved to Opposite Side of Street
Nashville, TN - "...A lot of it has to do with just visibility, just making sure that cyclists and pedestrians can be seen as they walk or ride along Riverside..." more
City of Portland Found Negligent in Bike Crash
OR - "...In addition to this location being a known safety hazard, there was plenty of notice to the responsible authority that it should be fixed or somebody was going to get hurt..." more
State Parks Commission Approves E-Bikes on Trails
OR - "...the State Parks Commission has approved a rule change that explicitly allows electric-assisted bicycles on all paths and trails eight-feet and wider unless otherwise posted." more...
Are Scooters Destroying Cities?
"Bike Snob NYC spent three days scootering around Portland, Oregon, to determine, once and for all, whether the now infamous tiny wheeled contraptions are a scourge on our cities—or whether they’re damned convenient and laughably benign." more...
Hellobike Sees Room for Competition
CHN - "...While Ofo and Mobike have a heavy presence in China's top cities, Hellobike is trying to take market share in the country's smaller, more rural cities..." more
- NC: Greenway Pedestrian Bridge on Greensboro Urban Loop Opens
- NC: Concord gets grant to expand Henry greenway
- GA: Thomasville begins its next phase for park trails
- AZ: Arizona canyon famed for waterfalls to reopen after flooding
- WI: Ahnapee Bike Trail Extension Open
- CA: Reader sees cycling trail plan as an obstacle course not a trail
- TX: Lake Dallas to celebrate completion of DCTA rail trail
- MD: Annapolis to launch temporary bike lane
- MO: KC streets and sidewalks are a transportation jungle
- D.C.: Dockless No More in DC?
- WA: Seattle restaurant Luna Park Cafe worried about loss of parking
- CAN: $70k worth of stolen bikes found in northeast garage
Grant Will Extend Greenway
Lisbon, OH - "The county Park District has received a federal grant of up to $682,323 to extend the Little Beaver Greenway Trail three miles to the Day’s Inn...
"...In other news, repaving the trail between Franklin Square and Leetonia should start in October..." more
Harrison County Approves Bike Routes
Harrison County, OH - "...The commissioners were provided a map showing various routes that they and the Conotton Creek Trail Committee, with the cooperation of ODOT and other stakeholders, have proposed as 'specific routes' to be designated as various U. S. and State Bike Routes." more...
Refugee Road Work Might Start Next Month
Detroit Bikes Sees Upswing in Assembly Work
MI - "U.S. bike manufacturer Detroit Bikes, which sells bikes that are made with U.S.-sourced chromoly frames from its factory, is being approached to handle bike assembly for other suppliers..." more
Scooters Besting Bikes in Some Cities
"Scooters are apparently winning the race to the future of mini-transportation." more...
E-Bike Hit-and-Run Manhunt
UK - "The cyclist fled after the woman, who is in a serious condition in hospital, was knocked over in east London." more...
- CO: Dockless bikes pulling out of Aurora, other metro cities
- FL: St. Pete moves ahead with improvements to MLK St
- WA: Lynwood plans Interurban Trail improvements
- CA: Bird, Lime, Uber and Lyft strike out on SF scooter permits
- VA: City staff provides update on parks, trails damage
- GA: Planners use art to attract people to BeltLine
- OR: Judge rejects plan for off-roading trails in Oregon woods
- IL: IDOT seeking solutions for popular bike trail that was forced to close
- WI: Man facing obstruction charge after found lying on bike path
- MO: Searching for a bold vision in the Gateway Greenway competition
- IRE: Application lodged for a greenway on one of the most spectacular vistas in Ireland
- IRE: Work starts on new west Mayo Greenway trail
- OR: Cyclist treated for critical injuries
Plans to Connect Yellow Springs to Clifton by Trail
Yellow Springs, OH - "...A feasibility study is now underway to lay out a possible route, estimate costs and provide design criteria for the bike path between the villages, which are less than four miles apart." more...
Pelotonia Investigating Whether Man Faked Cancer
Columbus, OH - "Pelotonia, the annual cycling event that has raised more than $170 million for cancer research, is investigating whether a Columbus man whose battle with brain cancer was highlighted in their fundraising may have faked his illness." more...
Protective Bike Lane Planters Spray Painted
Carmel, IN - "Less than two weeks after their installation, several steel planter boxes along Range Line Road's new 'cycle track' bike lane have been hit by vandals." more...
Trail Project Costs Rise
Goshen, IN - "The Goshen Redevelopment Commission grudgingly approved putting more money into the contract to build the new Northwest Bike Trail." more...
1,400-Mile LandLine Plan
MA - "...The Boston area is expected to undergo some noteworthy change in the near future thanks to the LandLine Vision Plan—a newly proposed plan by the Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) that aims to complete a 1,400-mile connected network of regional trails and greenways and spur new opportunities for active transportation and recreation across communities." more...
Testing Pre-Fab Bus Islands
Portland, OR - "...When a bus operator can still swing into a [bike] lane, it no longer qualifies as protected.
"The solution is a bus island that provides a platform for passengers in the roadway (away from the curb) so it doesn’t block the curbside lane..." more
Truck Driver ‘Rolls Coal’ on Cyclist
"A photographer captured the moment when a driver shot black exhaust in a Utah rider's face." more...
- MS: Locksley Way project close to moving forward
- OR: Striping complete, concrete protection still to come for North Rosa Parks Way
- CA: City Council Bans Electric Scooters On Santa Monica Bike Paths
- CA: Greenway progress 'a matter of taking baby steps'
- NC: Cary neighbors concerned with greenway expansion
- CAN: Illegal bike trail decommissioned
- FL: Lakeland works to improve cycle track for bikers
- TX: Carrollton plans to build more hike and bike trails
- WA: Pierce Co. Bike Patrol Fighting Crime On Foothills Trail
500-Mile Trail Network Concept Proposed for Ohio
Columbus, OH - "Central Ohio Greenways wants to add 500 miles of multiuse trails through eight counties over the next three decades..." more
Detention Pond, Bike Path Nearly Complete
Oregon, OH - "...Once it reaches the Starr bike path, the trail will connect to the rest of the bike trail system through Pearson Metropark..." more
Park Board Reorganizing to Help with Trail Plans
Port Clinton, OH - "...One of the things that have become apparent for the implementation of this potential (bike) trail plan is that the park board has got to become effective..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Driverless Vehicles Could Come to Athens
Athens, OH - "...Athens City Council members voted on Monday night to allow the city of Athens to enter into an agreement with DriveOhio..." more
Columbus Regulates Shared Scooters / Bikes
Columbus, OH - "The city of Columbus on Tuesday began regulating shared mobility devices, most commonly known as shared scooters and bicycles." more...
Proposal to Link Trails to Form 50-Mile Loop
IN - "...But Indianapolis Department of Public Works Director Dan Parker tempered that assessment, saying the city has only sought the authority to build a trail and that no decision has been made." more...
Man Sentenced for Bulldozing National Forest Land
Grand Junction, CO - "...Authorities say Bennett used a bulldozer to construct nearly a mile of road on U.S. Forest Service land near Crawford in June 2014..." more
Seeking Complete Streets in All 50 States
U.S. - "Since 1991, when federal funding was first provided for biking and walking, there has been a significant shift in how states and their Departments of Transportation plan, design, and operate streets..." more
Mobike No More
UK - "Britain has shocked global firms with the amount of vandalism and theft of public hire bikes." more...
Vee Rubber Increasing Bike Tire Production
Bangkok, THA - "...Jason Rico, the company's North American sales manager, added, "We're in a unique position to help brands and distributors that have been buying in China, and need a new supplier..." more...
- MA: City drivers slow down for lower speed limit in Boston
- WI: Bring On the Dockless Bicycles!
- OR: ‘Mobility for All’ initiative
- NC: Funding helps secure new greenway
- TN: Cleveland Volunteers Join In Stream Cleanup Along Cleveland Greenway
- TX: City Council delays controversial bike trail
Proposal to Close Olentangy Trail Gap
UK's Bike Friendly Status goes Gold
KY - "The University of Kentucky’s Bicycle Friendly University status has gone gold. UK was notified recently by the League of American Bicyclists that it has been awarded the first Gold level designated University in not only the Commonwealth, but in the entire southeastern conference (SEC)." more...
Calls for Protected Bike Lanes Around Central Park
NYC - "...And we need the police to enforce the law that cars not park in the bike lane. But I understand they can’t be everywhere, so having a protected bike lane is the easiest answer to the dangers of riding on an unprotected bike lane." more...
"Lazy" Peds Blamed for Their Own Deaths
Rockville, MD - "... people are blindly walking across the street, not paying attention to these cars..." more
Aspen Tests Alternative Transport
CO - "Aspen's elected officials Monday are expected to continue their spending on an estimated $2.5 million experiment that attempts to reduce 800 cars from coming into town every day." more...
Scooters Might Spur Next Transport Breakthrough
Portland, OR - "For advocates of active transportation, the whining about sidewalk scooting is a welcome sound." more...
Uber to Focus on Bikes over Cars
"Boss Dara Khosrowshahi said that individual modes of transport were better suited to inner city travel." more...
Take the People for Bike Survey
Take the online survey here.
- FL: Naked Biker Zig-Zags Through Miami Traffic
- CO: Aspen woman charged with DUI after crashing bicycle
- OR: City will close two gaps, add safety features to NE Marine Drive
- MA: Cyclist finds razor blades along bike path in West Roxbury
- CA: LA-area trail reopens 9 years after fire, flooding
- IRE: Innovative pro team to shut down
- NC: Cary wants to build a greenway to downtown
- TN: Concerns about bridges on Shelby Bottoms Greenway
- CAN: How can Winnipeg make its river path safer?
- IL: Wilmette plans possible bike routes
- ID: Six new Foothills trails are in the works
- MO: Newly painted bike boulevard causes confusion for some drivers
Police get E-Bikes for Bike Patrol
Columbus, OH - "...Five e-bikes were deployed in the Downtown area. The sixth is being used on the West Side." more...
Springdale Plans Protected Bike Lanes
AR - "...The city plans to install one-way, protected bike lanes on Maple from South Pleasant Street to Holcomb Street..." more
Springfield Trail System Continues to Grow
MO - "Springfield leaders are working to make the city more accessible for bikers and runners. Ozark Greenways and the city are working together to create a larger trail network." more...
- FL: Bike path planning funds helpful
- CA: Lost on the trail
- MD: New 'Big Jump' bike lane connects Reservoir Hill and Remington
- MA: Reward offered for capture of bike statue vandal
- TN: Hurricane Creek Greenway Now Open In La Vergne
- GA: Greenways spur real estate values, revitalize neighborhoods
- CAN: Plan for green pathway along Finch LRT gains traction with city
- SC: Mayor’s Memos: Walking trails need attention
Filling the Gaps Along the GMRT
Camp Chase Trail Finished, for Now
Columbus, OH - "The sidepath [OTE section] along Sullivant Ave and Georgesville Road is done for now. The last 300 foot section unfinished is just south of the trail and RR, plans are for it to be built in 2019." more...
LMST Reconstruction Near Fort Ancient
New Elmira Trailhead along Cannonball Trail
Portland Hike & Bike Trail Under Development
Portland, MI - "...This is a unique project (Hike and mountain bike trail) as it is a trail system on a school campus. It will complement our already $25,000+ grant funded cycling program..." more
Mounds Lake Project Includes Proposed Trail
Anderson, IN - "...the reservoir proposal has always included a trail system around the Mounds Lake." more...
Planners Propose 120 Miles of New Bike Routes
Lincoln, NE - "...City planners and consultants have released a draft of the Lincoln Bike Plan -- a detailed map with nearly 120 miles of proposed on-street bike passages designed to get cyclists safely around the city." more...
- TN: Hurricane Creek Greenway Opens In La Vergne
- CO: Mutton Buster trail has made Powderhorn bike park more accessible
- MN: Section of Sakatah Trail opening soon
- TX: Round Rock police help replace 7th-grader's stolen bike
- WA: Richland river trail can be a pain for hikers
Road Sharrows Installed Along Cannonball Trail
Liberty Center, OH - "Road sharrows were installed by Liberty Center this week linking the WCT thru town to the historic train depot."
"This was part of the ODNR grant and finishes the project which started in late March." more...
ODNR Trail Plan Survey
OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the Ohio Trails Partnership need your help to create the State’s next plan for recreational trails of all types across Ohio. To gather your input, they have created a public survey..." more
Direct link to online survey.
ASE Consolidation Closes Ohio Warehouse
OH - "Advanced Sports Enterprises is consolidating some back end functions at its two e-commerce brands, Nashbar and Performance. The two brands are moving toward operating on the same inventory system and consolidated warehousing..." more
Philly Needs to Slow its Roll on Dockless Scooters
Philadelphia, PA - "...Philadelphia City Council seems to be taking precautionary steps to protect us from an onslaught of dockless scooters as seen in cities like Louisville and Indianapolis." more...
Driver Runs Down Cyclist Near Hudson Greenway
NY - "...It looked deliberate because, to me, he couldn't have not seen him." more...
Is America’s Car Culture Shortening Your Life?
"...Life expectancy at birth declined steeply in the U.S. in 2015 and 2016, a new British Journal of Medicine study reports..." more
- NYC: A Hit-and-Miss Debut for Dockless Citi Bikes in the Bronx
- IRE: Study to map out best route for greenway from Wicklow town
- MA: Police: Video shows man wrecking statue on bike trail
- ME: New trail expands Sanford system
- MN: New paved path connects Cedar-Riverside to downtown Mpls.
Holmes County Trail Section Repaving
Bike & Hike Section Closure
Hudson, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "First Energy is continuing utility pole replacement work along the Bike & Hike Trail in Stow and Hudson. A trail closure will be in effect [starting 9/4/18] for the section of trail at Hampshire Road heading north to Barlow Road. The closure will be in effect until October 15."
Ohio.com adds, "...The section between Barlow and state Route 303 in Hudson is expected to close Oct. 15." more...
Delaware Expands Bikeway Network
Delaware, OH - "...Work is expected to be completed Oct. 31 on the latest section of West Central Avenue’s bicycle and walking path, part of what the Delaware city website says will be an eventual citywide bikeway network." more...
CoGo Coming to Bexley
Bexley, OH - "CoGo Bike Share stations tentatively are scheduled to be installed in Bexley before the end of the year..." more
'Single Track Sidewalks' Proposed
Golden, CO - "A nonprofit here is proposing to build several sections of singletrack trails adjacent to paved sidewalks, to allow children and beginner mountain bikers a taste of trail riding." more...
Time to Rethink Bike Lanes?
"...Now that we have scooters sharing bike lanes, I wonder if we’ll need to think more clearly about the different kinds of lane on a street and what their real defining features are..." more
Cyclists Deserve Their Own Space
"Cyclists deserve their own space, separate from people on foot." more...
- NC: NC Cuts Safety Program For Kids
- D. C.: Changes Are Coming To The Intersection Where A Cyclist Was Killed This Summer
- NC: Chapel Hill Gets First ‘Bike Box’
- GA: Scooter debate conveniently ignores autos — again
- MT: Bear attack injures 10-year-old boy in Yellowstone park
- TN: Grand Opening of New Greenway Section Saturday
- ND: Man accused of sexually assaulting woman on the Greenway to change plea
- CA: El Cerrito to Upgrade Surveillance Camera Network Along Ohlone Greenway
- IRE: Strong turnout for Quiet Man greenway
- MO: MKT Trail capital improvement project replaces three bridges
- CO: Bicyclist in bike lane seriously injured by hit-and-run driver in Fort Collins
Connecting Parks with Bike Lanes
Lucas County, OH - "...The expansion of bike paths across Lucas County will soon make it possible to travel from one park to the next with ease." more...
Read another article on this topic.
Bike Thief Caught on Video
Columbus, OH - "This guy has stolen bikes from the State St. garage (behind Riffe & next to EPA), 3 bikes just recently..." more
Cleveland to Regulate E-Scooters
Cleveland, OH - "Electric scooters might return to Cleveland streets, but first the city wants to establish rules for regulating the businesses that rent them and the people who operate them." more...
Columbus Considers E-Scooter Regulations
Columbus, OH - "...Since their arrival, there have been several calls to the emergency rooms and we know one accident even resulted in a death in Cleveland." more...
Bike Lane Planters Draw Mixed Reactions
Carmel, IN - "Reaction has been mixed to the city's $142,000 purchase of steel planters for the initial stretch of its first protected bike lane..." more
Alt Transport Fees Pay for Trail Expansion, Mobile Bike Shop
CO - "Students biking or walking to class from the north side of campus may have noticed a change to their commute this year—but they might not have realized that they’re paying for it." more...
Bike Lane Uprising
"It’s a scenario familiar to anyone biking in a city: you’re riding down the bike lane, when suddenly you’re forced to brake and swerve around an unforeseen obstacle blocking your way..." more
Railbanked Corridors Protected in Washington State
"Last year, Rails-to-Trails Conservancy’s (RTC’s) legal team became actively involved in two cases—Hornish Joint Living Trust, et al. v. King County, and Kaseburg, et al. v. King County, et al., involving attacks on railbanked rail-trails in King County, Washington..." more
Kroger's Autonomous Grocery Delivery
AZ - "Nuro's driverless pods won't show up until the fall, though -- it'll be a self-driving Prius before then." more...
Recent Bike Sales Trends
Boulder, CO - "...The higher price of e-bikes, full-suspension mountain bikes, and drop-bar gravel road bikes — all of which were up in unit shipments — help explain the growth in dollar business." more...
E-Road Bikes are Big in Europe
GER - "...Electric drive systems are now appearing on the holiest of holy bikes: the high-end performance road bike." more...
- WA: Uber, Lyft and Lime want to run bike shares in Seattle
- WA: Spokane launches pilot bike share program on Sept. 4
- WA: Mayor Durkan moves quickly to improve Rainier/Henderson intersection
- TN: Tennessee gives $15M to parks, trail projects
- MN: Red Jacket Trail no longer closed
- MA: Peabody wins grant to help pay for Greenway extension
- GA: East Decatur Greenway receives $30K grant, hires goats
- CA: 10 years after vandalism, Whitttier’s Greenway Trail will get new lights
- GA: Dahlonega man given 5-year prison sentence in 2016 crash that killed teen
Temporary Bridge Opens on Towpath
Peninsula, OH - Construction work along the towpath, just south of Deep Lock Quarry, has resulted in a temporary bridge installation on the trail. This will allow trail users access to this section while plans continue for a more permanent structure.
Please walk your bike across the bridge and allow for one-way traffic.
Geneva State Park Trail Reopens
Jefferson, OH - "Re-routing and paving of the shoreline bike trail at the Geneva State Park, following erosion issues that occurred in late 2017, has been completed." more...
More on Towpath Stage 3 Progress
Cleveland, OH - "The Towpath Trail took a big step forward this past Friday and Saturday as Mark Haynes Construction craned in a 40-ton, prefabricated steel truss bridge that connects Stage 3 of the Towpath Trail Extension running 1.9 miles from the northern entrance of Steelyard Commons to Literary Ave in Tremont..." more
Morgana Bluff Nature Preserve
Cleveland, OH - "Work will begin this September in Slavic Village to transform the former Worsted Mills site—once one of the country’s largest garment manufacturers—into the Morgana Bluff Nature Preserve Learning Center..." more
Eagle Success Story in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "A pair of bald eagles that built the first nest in Cleveland's industrial valley in more than a century have provided another chapter to their remarkable story..." more
Ohio River Greenway Project Nears Completion
IN - "A new bridge connecting Clarksville and New Albany over Silver Creek is close to completion." more...
Bike Paths Bring Full House at Council Meeting
Richmond, IN - "...The unusually large group of spectators was on hand to hear a quartet of downtown and Depot District business owners voice their concerns about a pair of projects to build bicycle paths connecting the two areas." more...
Bicyclists Use Empty Bus Lanes
Albuquerque, NM - "People in Albuquerque have seen drivers use the ART bus lanes illegally, but now a new group is taking over -- bicyclists..." more
Does Portland Need a "Bicycle Mayor"
OR - "...This past June I participated in a graduate-level course at the University of Amsterdam on bicycling and urban design called Planning the Cycling City." more...
Vision Zero Network Hires Big Gun
"It’s too early to tell whether Vision Zero will ever reach the goal implied its name, but there’s one way to give it a good chance: getting drivers to slow down." more...
Univega USA Bringing Back US-Assembled Bike Line
NJ - "...The company will show its new product line at Interbike next month and already has more than half the country covered by a sales rep force..." more...
- MA: Boston adding 60 Bluebike bike stations
- WA: The last bike share company in Seattle
- FL: New FAMU Way extension improves movement for more than motorists
- ND: North Dakota trying transportation initiative in 9 locations
- MA: Bike path almost complete
- AR: Greenway's edge throws unwary bike riders
- PA: Union County hikes hotel tax to boost rail trail
- GA: Alpharetta handles ‘emergency repairs’ to Big Creek Greenway
Driver Snorts Heroin, Kills Woman on Scooter
Cleveland, OH - "A 19-year-old man admitted to police that he snorted heroin shortly before hitting and killing a woman riding an electric scooter in downtown Cleveland..." more
Columbus Road Spur to Reopen Soon
Athens, OH - "The re-paving of the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Columbus Rd spur is complete! Soon, the City of Athens, Ohio - News and Information will be reinstalling the guardrails and wacking weeds to prepare for re-opening." more...
Dublin Bike/Ped Suspension Bridge Project
Dublin, OH - "171 foot hi main tower almost done. The Dublin, OH bike ped suspension bridge project scheduled for completion by end of 2019..." more
Learn more about the bridge project.
Black Diamond Bicycles Moving to Athens
Athens, OH - "...As some of you may know after four years in Eclipse we are relocating our shop to 540 W. Union." more...
New Trail Links Ogden to Provo
UT - "...The Golden Spoke network offers over 100 miles of safe, connected, paved trails from Ogden to Provo, becoming the longest continuous, multi-use urban trail network this side of the Mississippi..." more...
Exposed Handlebar Kills 6-Year-Old in Bike Crash
"Denny Curran was riding outside his family's old house when he had a freak bike crash." more...
Crumbling Sidewalks Become a Legal Battleground
"A lawsuit in Atlanta reflects a growing movement that demands accessible, well-maintained sidewalks—and rejects budgetary constraints as an excuse." more...
E-Scooters Just Might Work in NYC
NY - "The scooters could be a real help to people trying to get around the city — if the mayor gets much more serious about protecting riders." more...
Cunnane Proposes Solution to Unfair Trade
"...Cunnane told the multiagency committee that the current $800 minimum, commonly called the de minimus, allows offshore sellers to ship many bike products into the States without the collection of duties..." more
- VA: Speed limit to change on an Alexandria stretch of US 1
- MD: Baltimore’s Bumpy Road to Bike Safety
- CT: West Hartford Installs Family-Friendly Bike Routes
- NC: Raleigh considers Oberlin Road diet
- NYC: It's time for bike share to go big
- UK: Edinburgh plans monthly car-free Sundays
- WA: Seattle’s next bike share battle
- NYC: City seeks designers for East Harlem greenway
- AUS: Greenway for Sydney's inner west ready to ride in 3 years
- MO: Greenway trail, bike share changing perceptions of city
- TX: Motorcyclist injured while riding on hike-and-bike trail
- WI: With opening of bridge, bike trail is complete
Campus Trail Taking Shape in Marion
Marion, OH - "...the bike/walking trail now taking shape. When complete — with help from some generous local companies and, we hope, individual donors — the trail will bring residents in from neighborhoods on either side of the campus and lead them on a 2.5-mile loop along a creek, through a prairie, and even connect to the commercial area and restaurants nearby." more...
Mini Boat Competition to Raise Trail Funds
Kidder Twp., PA - "People put their homemade boats in the water Sunday morning all to raise money for hikers and bikers in Carbon County." more...
Politician Cycles to Hospital to Give Birth
NZL - "New Zealand's minister for women has cycled to hospital to give birth to her first child at 42 weeks." more...
- VA: Mountain bikers clear debris from rain damaged park trails
- MA: Lynn plans for bike trail to the sea
- AUS: Rail trail wins poll pledge
- NC: Atlantic & Yadkin bridge nears completion
- IRE: A compromise route for the rail corridor
Sidepath Construction in NW Columbus
Columbus, OH - "Additional 1/2 mile sidepath almost completed creates 2.4 mile section in northwest Columbus..." more
Approaches Differ in Regulating E-Scooters in Ohio
Columbus, OH - "...Instead of instituting bans as other cities — including Bexley and Upper Arlington — have, Columbus officials said they are trying to take a 'thoughtful' approach to developing any regulations." more...
Harrison County is Becoming Tourism Destination
OH - "...In all, there are 85 miles of public trails in Harrison County. These are complimented by miles of hiking and bridle trails..." more
Man Allegedly Shot While Walking on Greenway
IN - "A Marion man told police he was shot in the ankle while walking on the Cardinal Greenway early Friday morning..." more
Flood Spawns Birth of Rail Bikes along Buffalo Creek
Clay, WV - "Volunteers are scrambling to assemble rail bikes and small passenger cars to keep pace with visitor demand to ride the rails of a 113-year-old railroad line severely damaged during the June 2016 floods." more...
Seattle Trying Speed Limits for E-Bikes
WA - "...I've ridden a few and they go pretty fast you can definitely cruise pretty fast it's almost car speed..." more
Carbon Fiber Bike Failures
"High-end bikes and components are often made of carbon fiber, which is strong and light-weight. But carbon fiber bikes have to be carefully maintained." more...
- GA: Section of Victory Dr. in Columbus to close for building of a ped bridge
- NC: Phase four of Purple Martin Greenway progressing
- CT: Vernon Trail gets bike fixit station
- LA: Judge greenlights walking/bike trail on levee
- SD: Can't we do better for the bike trail?
- SD: Experts agree Sioux City should be more bike-friendly
- NM: Enjoy the scenery on new mountain bike trail at Ski Apache in Ruidoso
- TX: Legacy Trail project near Old Jacksonville Highway may be finished this fall
New Towpath Bridge in Tremont
Cleveland, OH - "The 101-mile Towpath Trail notched another milestone Friday with the installation of a 130-foot-long, 14-foot-wide bike and pedestrian bridge over West 7th Street, north of Quigley Road in the Tremont neighborhood." more...
East Exchange Street Bike & Ped Lanes Unveiled
Akron, OH - "...The temporary lanes appear on the north side of East Exchange Street between Ohio Route 8 and Arc Street. Bright green lanes are for cyclists and walkers, while beige lanes are buffers against the flow of traffic." more...
Prairie Township Sports Complex Phase 1
Prairie Twp., OH - "...The parking lot, a pedestrian path around the site and the shelter house are done but will remain closed until next year, Gant said. The trail will connect to Alton Hall School to the north and the Camp Chase Trail to the south..." more
Pace Bikes Pedal into Bloomington
IN - "...IU launched the new smart bike-sharing service this summer, in partnership with the City of Bloomington, offering a fast and affordable way to travel around the city and campus." more...
Missing Hiker ate Berries & Bees
Cougar, WA - "...Matthew B. Matheny, 40, of Warren, Ohio, was in good condition, talking and did not appear to have suffered life-threatening injuries..." more
Adirondack Scenic Railroad Rail Bike Operations
NY - "...Officials with the organization recently tested the first four-seat rail bike prototype with a ride from Charlie’s Inn at Lake Clear Junction to Saranac Lake Depot. The bike reportedly performed flawlessly..." more
Latest Bear Creek Greenway Sweep
Medford, OR - "...The nearly 18-mile bike and walking path extends from Ashland to Central Point and has long been a haven for transient activity. The illegal camping sites often accompany a substantial amount of trash." more...
Video Shows Person Sabotaging Bike Share Bikes
Seattle, WA - "Seattle Police have released a surveillance video of a person in Sodo seen snipping bike share brake cables on more than one occasion, and they’re asking for the public’s help identifying the suspect." more...
It’s Fine for Nonbikers to Use the Bike Lane
"The same things that drove people to bike—getting places faster, getting a little exercise, getting out of the car—have started to attracted potentially unwelcome visitors to try out the cherished city bike lane." more...
Self-Driving Car Makers Prepare to Blame Jaywalkers
"Who’s to blame when an autonomous car hits a pedestrian? Car companies are already trying to force the question for their own benefit." more...
- AL: Lagoon Park to open new mountain/BMX biking trail
- FL: Florida to spend $800 million on Tampa-St. Pete bridge
- GA: Public “largely positive” regarding S&S trail extension
- CAN: RCMP search for Hike and Bike trail flasher
- NH: Revival in store for Conway Rec Path
- MD: Firefighter pleads guilty to assault at meeting about bike lanes
- CAN: 700 bike share bikes launching in Metro Vancouver
- WA: Injuries to kids leads to safe streets rally
North Shore Trail Moving Forward
5 Best Places to Rent a Bike in Cleveland
OH - "There is a growing bicycle culture in Northeast Ohio, and you don't have to actually own a bike to be a part of it..." more
Missing Ohio Hiker Found Alive
Cougar, WA - "Authorities say an Ohio man has been found alive after he went missing nearly a week ago on a hike near Mount St. Helens in Washington state." more...
Reddit Helps Solve Hit-and-Run That Killed Cyclist
"A driver struck and killed Susan Rainwater, leaving a small piece of his truck behind..." more
Bikes Piling Up at Scrapyard
San Diego, CA - "A growing mountain of rideshare bikes at a San Diego metal recycling plant is raising eyebrows." more...
Will Tariffs Mean Price Hikes for E-Bikes?
"The bicycle industry is mobilizing for a 25 percent tariff on Chinese-made electric bikes and motors." more...
- VA: Man convicted of greenway attack pleads guilty to new charges
- NC: Small plot of land near greenway sparks big controversy
- IRE: Cavan authorities rule out use of CPOs in greenway project
- MA: Malden River Greenway Gets Green Light Of Sorts
- SD: Portion Of New Bike Trail Open At Tuthill Park
- TX: Final hurdle overcome for Bee Cave hike and bike trail
- NM: Is the Acequia Trail safe?
- CAN: Toronto’s bike share system expanding again
- ME: Joint effort expands Cape Elizabeth Trail system
- MD: Good-bye bike share, hello scooters
- D.C.: Capital Bikeshare goes electric
- WA: City wants to make East McLoughlin Blvd safer for cyclists, peds
- OR: Bike thief sentenced to 25 months
- UK: Queen Elizabeth's longtime doctor Peter Fisher killed riding bike to work
Another Cyclist Raped on Berlin Trail
Deerfield, OH - "For the second time this summer, there has been an attack on a woman at the Berlin Hike and Bike Trail, located off of US-224 in Deerfield." more...
Read another post with more details on this crime.
Limebike Expands Bike, Scooter Service to OSU
Columbus, OH - "Lime introduced 125 dockless bicycles and an unknown number of scooters to the Ohio State University campus Monday, as thousands of students are returning to the area for the start of fall semester classes Aug. 21." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
The Backstory on the Historic Trail Bridge in Wakeman
Wakeman, OH - "Bruce Chapin and I spent a lot of time looking at the remarkable double-arch stone railroad bridge over the Vermilion River in Wakeman." more...
Hit-and-Run Brings Crack Down on Jaywalking
Shelbyville, KY - "...[Police Chief] There's a misconception that a vehicle always has to yield to pedestrians..." more
Blocked Bike Lane Forced Cyclist into Road & Fatal Crash
NYC - "Mayor Bill de Blasio, who's repeatedly stated that briefly parking in a bike lane is no big deal, now says he'd like to see 'consequences' for the livery driver who blocked an unprotected bike lane on Central Park West, forcing a 23-year-old cyclist into the deadly path of an allegedly drunk sanitation truck driver." more...
No Charges for Driver Who Kills Cyclists
KS - "The driver of a minivan who crashed into two German bicyclists on a Route 66 ride won’t face criminal charges..." more
Dying Railroad Could Become World-Class Trail
CA - "...A bill authored by state Sen. Mike McGuire would create the 300-mile-long Great Redwood Trail, which some people think could rival the Sierra Nevada's John Muir Trail for spectacular terrain and breathtaking vistas." more...
Food Delivery Hitting the Sidewalks
CA - "Heading back to Axios' San Francisco office after a meeting with a Berkeley professor, I nearly collided with an icebox-sized tub with wheels and a flagpole, sporting Cal colors." more...
Behavioral Science Used to Make Cities Safer
"...People don’t change faulty behaviour despite awareness, as humans are not rational beings..." more
- FL: West Palm Beach announces plan to reduce crashes
- FL: UCF Campus to get 500 bikes this week
- CO: Castle Creek Trail Aims To Improve Ped, Bike Safety
- WA: Fire burns near Richland Wye bike path
- DE: Support builds for Delaware Avenue cycle track
- MA: Lynnfield-Wakefield Delegation Secures $500k For Rail Trail
Amenities Added to Cannonball Trail
Williams County, OH - "...We now have Kiosks w/ full map and trail info at Wabash Park in West Unity and Cty RD 13( Airport RD) at east edge of Montpelier There is trail parking at both locations as well and village of West Unity has added flush toilets/ restrooms and drinking water at their park." more...
New Bike Fixit Stand at Edgewater Park
Cleveland, OH - "So, you're at Edgewater Park and you need a little air or your bike needs a quick adjustment?.." more
Red Bike Go is Soaring
Cincinnati, OH - "...Red Bike Go offers those with limited income a $5 monthly membership, as opposed to the regular $15 monthly membership. Red Bike wants to offer inclusive access to all the benefits of riding a bike." more...
Mayor Cited in Hit-and-Run
Somerset, KY - "...Mayor Eddie Girdler was cited Sunday for allegedly leaving the scene of an accident and failing to give aid to the girl, who was riding a bike when she was hit in a crosswalk." more...
Bird Scooters Come to Louisville
KY - "...we took a ride on a Bird scooter (when they prematurely arrived a few weeks ago!) to give you the ins and outs on what to expect." more...
Ofo Left ATL, but Bikes get a Second Chance in Town
Atlanta, GA - "he China-based company donated 188 bicycles, hoping they’d be put to good use. They have indeed." more...
Seattle Ups the Ante on Green & Complete Streets
WA - "Can the Emerald City move fast enough to implement its best plans in the face of scorching rates of development?" more...
- NM: City proposing dramatic improvements for bicyclists and walkers
- OR: Scootering is very popular and hasn’t destroyed Portland
- OR: Portland will restart N Rosa Parks Way project
- WA: Wilson Ave S bike lanes will fill key gap in SE Seattle
New Bike Lanes in Hamilton County
Hamilton County, OH - "Check out these beautiful bike lanes that were recently added to US 50 in western Hamilton County! They start in Addyston and traverse about 4.5 miles through North Bend and Cleves..." more
Buck Creek Trail Paving Progress
NCIT Progress in Ottawa County
Ottawa County, OH - "...The county was awarded funds by ODOT in the amount of about $2.1 million to extend a section of the North Coast Inland Trail...
"...The ODOT funding will continue the trail from Elmore to Genoa... Completion of the project is tentatively slated for late 2019 or early 2020..." more
Bike Park Reopens after Renovations
Newark, OH - "...The renovations... include a BMX pump track, dirt jumps, a skills course, and a half-mile mountain bike loop on a 1.2-acre space." more...
E-Scooters Allowed on Sidewalks -- For Now
Columbus, OH - "As pedestrians and motorized scooters begin to share sidewalk space more and more in Columbus, City Attorney Zach Klein took to Twitter..." more
Westside Greenway Bollards Still Causing Injuries & Mayhem
NYC - "Meet another victim of the new math on the Hudson River Greenway." more
Teens Charged in Trail Sabotage Case
IA - "Pottawattamie County officials have arrested three teenagers who they say placed debris on the Wabash bike trail and strung fishing line across the path in attempts to injure cyclists." more...
Injured Cyclist Gives Driver that Struck Her Free Pass
Chicago, IL - "...On Tuesday, July 31, Green was biking home from her job [as] a barista when an elderly female driver struck her in a Lincoln Square bike lane..." more
NYC Sees Vision Zero Progress
NYC - "...The first half of 2018 has seen the fewest traffic-related fatalities in any six-month period ever measured in America's most populated city, officials say." more...
Study Reveals What Drivers Don't See
CAN - "U of T Engineering researchers studied the eye movements of drivers at busy Toronto intersections and found that more than half failed to make necessary scans for pedestrians or cyclists at right turns." more...
Students Protest Traffic Deaths
BGD - "On Saturday, July 29, a speeding bus ran over a group of students waiting on the side of the road in Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh..." more
Couple Gives Up Tandem Riding Because of Disrespectful Drivers
UK - "...Following an incredible 78 years of tandem riding, which began in wartime Britain, Lionel and Joyce Joseph have now retired their two saddled mode of transport because of safety fears." more...
Rails-with-Trails a Safe Alternative
"...Arguments against rails-with-trails emphasize safety concerns, yet, of the thousands of fatalities along railroad corridors since 1975, only two involved a trail user on a rail-with-trail..." more
- CA: Oakland Police Throw Rich City Rides’s Najari Smith in Jail
- CA: Cars soon will be unwelcome on Playa Vista's main drag
- WA: Lime’s expanded discount program lets people pay in cash, unlock 5¢ bikes
- CA: California wildfires impact bike retail across the state
- MO: City of Sedalia blazing new trails with Prairie Queen project
- AUS: New dashboard visualises active travel data on Sydney’s GreenWay
- OR: Goats a potential solution to problems on Bear Creek Greenway
- IRE: East Coast Greenway petition reaches over 8,000 signatures
- D.C.: What a regional bike trail network could look like
- SD: West-side bike trail connection completed
- NY: Man on mobility scooter threatened with fine
- CA: Some Residents Oppose Plan To Pave Portion Of American River Parkway
Ohio Man Missing near Mt. St. Helens
Ariel, WA - "Deputies are looking for 40-year-old Matthew Matheny of Warren, Ohio, who was last seen at 7 a.m. Thursday on Blue Lake trail near Mount St. Helens." more...
Connector Planned to Link 2 Trails
Logansport, IN - "...The proposed route would use existing roads and trails to connect the 22-mile Panhandle Pathway running between Winamac and near France Park in Cass County and the 37-mile Nickel Plate Trail..." more
New MTB Trails Open in Johnstown
Westmont, PA - "...Saturday morning was the official ribbon-cutting and grand opening of the inclined plane downhill trails." more...
Marin 'Greenway' Project gets $280K
CA - "...This is an important project to replace a narrow pathway that is only 4 feet wide..." more
- GA: Meeting next step in fate of Standing Boy bike trails
- NH: Rec vehicle driver flees stop, strikes conservation officer
- GA: Input sought on extending Greenway to Brooklet
- DE: Northern Delaware Greenway Trail robbery
- TN: Greenway trail bid approved
- TAS: Mt Montgomery Loop bike trail to open soon
- NY: Happy trails for local bicyclists
- MO: Construction Underway for Bike Boulevard
- WA: Mayor Durkan Is Hell-Bent on Killing the Center City Connector
Transportation Planning in Fostoria
OH - "Plans to create and improve travel routes around the area and within Fostoria city limits were the topic of discussion during Tuesday’s City Council meeting." more...
Linking Cass & Miami Counties by Bike Trail
IN - "Cass County officials and trail leaders are getting the wheels rolling on a connection through Logansport and Cass and Miami counties to link two biking routes." more...
Portland Businesses Add E-Cargo Bikes
OR - "When you do business in a city, electric cargo bikes are often a much better solution for deliveries and service calls than cars or trucks..." more
9 Die in Chopper Crash
JPN - "...The helicopter was on a two-hour flight to monitor the opening of a mountain trail..." more
- MN: Minnetonka rejects petition for bike trail review
- NH: Rail trail for Amherst? Town will seek federal grant
- WI: Sheboygan committed to elderly travel options
Athens Bike Path Spur May Open Soon
Athens, OH - "...The project, which has been ongoing for several months, seeks to repair and reinforce the path, which has sustained significant damage and erosion due to flooding earlier this year and the resultant natural rechanneling of the Hocking River..." more
Countywide Plan to Boost Bike Infrastructure
Montgomery County, PA - "The Montgomery County commissioners this week unanimously approved a plan to create 800 miles of 'bike infrastructure' in the county." more...
NIckel Plate Trail Planning
IN - "Two firms have been chosen to lead the design phase of the proposed Nickel Plate Trail in Fishers." more...
Bike Thieves Clean Out Bike Shop
CA - "Burglars cleaned out Box Dog Bikes overnight, making off with 21 bikes valued at around $60,000, according to the worker-owned store’s proprietors." more...
Better Street Design to Reduce Pedestrian Deaths
"With pedestrian deaths on the rise, advocates said more focus must be placed on how streets can be redesigned and made safer, rather than 'victim-blaming' those that have been killed." more...
Pentagon Restricts Fitness Trackers
Geolocation features are now prohibited for all Department of Defense personnel in certain areas." more...
- NY: DEC tickets minor for ATV use on mountain bike trail
- UT: More bicycle paths planned for Salt Lake City
- OK: TSET sponsors bike racks, trail signs
- MA: Protected bike lanes arrive on Comm Ave
- GA: Decatur-PATH Connectivity Plan
- MA: Assabet River Rail Trail celebrates grand opening
Turning Ohio into a Web of Trails
"...ODNR has spent the summer asking the public where they would like to see trails built. The goal this year is to develop the Ohio Trail Plan." more...
Holmes County Trail Repairs Start Aug. 13
Millersburg, OH - "We will be starting our 2018 repair project on Monday, August 13th. The project will stretch from the Millersburg Depot south to just past the Millersburg Walmart near Tractor Supply..." more
Harrison County Approves Bike Routes
Tree Removal along Alum Creek Trail
Columbus, OH - From MetroParks, "[On] August 15, 2018 between 7 am - 6 pm expect temporary closures between Innis Park and Easton Socccer Fields -- tree removal."
Cyclist's Bike Stolen at Crash Scene
"Mike Etter suffered only minor injuries, but that's where his good luck ran out." more...
VeloNews Study Names Names
Boulder, CO - "There are more than a few surprises contained in VeloNews' recent Audience Study..." more
Retailers Stock Up on Imported Goods Ahead of Proposed Tariffs
D.C. - "A new report shows that retailers — across all categories — are stocking up on Chinese consumer goods before the possibility of increased tariffs." more
Bird Drops More Scooters on the Sly
"Bird has struck again — this time in Charleston." more...
Lance Armstrong Gets Medical Treatment after Crash
CO - "The world's most famous cyclist ended up in the hospital after crashing on a bike trail in Colorado." more...
- LA: Designed to Fail
- D.C.: Capital Bikeshare Adds Rewards For Helping Rebalance Its Bikes
- DE: University of Delaware to order mandatory safety class for some jaywalkers
- WA: West Seattle Link might destroy the Sodo Trail
- GER: Zig-zag bike line a new twist for Berlin cyclists
- OR: Bicycle burglar returns, steals thousands from north Portland shop
- DE: 'Road diet' trims travel lanes on Cleveland Avenue in Newark
- NE: Proposed Milford bike trail
- CAN: Victoria wins funds for cycling, pedestrian routes
- TX: Trails near Kashmere Gardens one step closer to completion
- ID: Fire burning in Heyburn State Park near Plummer
- NC: How county greenways avoided a contractor kickback scheme
- IRE: £200,000 granted to develop eight new greenway schemes
- NY: Path's cleared for Niagara River Greenway Trail in NT
- UK: £25,000 for Doagh to Larne greenway project
West Nile Virus Detected Along Ohio Trail
Surveying Work on Cannonball Trail
NW OH - Was out working on North Fork yesterday and came upon survey workers from Mannik & http://www.manniksmithgroup.com/ Who are doing work for our $2m grant from ODOT to pave trail from Fulton/ Lucas cty RD to St Rt 109 [on the Cannonball Trail]" more...
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
OH - Read the latest edition.
Treesdale Trail to be Built
Treesdale, PA - "Treesdale residents will soon have a new pedestrian and bike path connecting their community to Pine Community Park." more...
Amish Uber in Colon
MI - "...The newest taxi service in Colon has four wheels, four legs and good gas mileage." more...
Gravel Rides Are Saving Small-Town America
"How the massive economic success of races like Dirty Kanza is upping local support for gravel events." more...
"Two years ago, Barcelona announced it would transform chunks of its street grid to prioritize people over cars. The method: superblocks." more...
- MD: City Council repeals part of fire code to accommodate bike lanes
- TX: 3 Bike-Share Companies Have Left Dallas
- TX: Hundreds of Ofo bikes piled up at Dallas recycling plant
- WI: County to move ahead with plan to reroute bike trail segment
- FL: Tourism group backs $400k trail plan
- NZL: Otago cycle trail gets $13.2M
- TN: PeopleForBikes donates $10K towards new bike trails at Winged Deer Park
- CA: Capitola ballot initiative ‘literally derailing’ rail trail plan
Bike & Hike Trail Closure Sept. 4
Summit County, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "First Energy is continuing utility pole replacement work along the Bike & Hike Trail in Stow and Hudson. A trail closure will be in effect for the section of trail at Hampshire Road heading north to Barlow Road. The closure will be in effect until October 15."
1st New London-Greenwich Rail Trail Work Day
Trustees Approve Niss Support Resolution
Madison Twp., OH - "...The land abuts the Richland B & O Trail and would connect with a trail the City of Mansfield developed as part of a Trimble Road improvement project. Western Reserve officials said plans also call for hiking paths and setting aside space for limited parking and recreational development." more...
E-News from Friends of the Little Miami
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
APVs Coming to Zaleski Forest
Zaleski, OH - "I want to thank The Dispatch for the disturbing news that all-purpose vehicles and dirt bikes will soon be roaring around a 52-mile trail to be built in Zaleski State Forest (Dispatch article, last Tuesday). I had no idea. My neighbors in Vinton County had no idea..." more
$6M Beltline Trail Expansion
Atlanta, GA - "Officials say the city of Atlanta has spent more than $6 million to buy a stretch of old railroad that will provide land for the Beltline project." more...
Canada Traffic Safety Record vs. U.S.
"The per capita death rate on roads north of the border is less than half of the U.S. rate." more...
25% E-Bike Tariff Confirmed
D.C. - "The U.S. Trade Representative has approved the inclusion of e-bikes and e-bike motors on the list of $16 billion worth of Chinese products that will be hit with a 25 percent tariff starting Aug. 23." more...
- D.C.: DC cyclists hoping for crackdown on safety issues
- OR: Portland’s latest protected bikeway goes through an industrial zone
- WA: Paving projects create opportunity to make huge bike improvements
- VA: Lynchburg's flood-soaked trails, dog park closed for repairs
- VA: Washington Blvd Bike Trail Work Moves Ahead
- MA: Design firm sought for McKnight Neighborhood bike-pedestrian trail
- MN: Death reported at Lebanon Hills mountain bike trails
- OR: Willamette Greenway Trail a safety hazard
Pedestrian Struck & Killed on I-70
Columbus, OH - "A pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle on I-70 in east Columbus on Sunday morning." more...
Bike Trail to Replace Old Railway
South Bend, IN - "...From rail to trail, the Coal Line Trail project is a new pedestrian and bike trail that will eventually run from Mishawaka through South Bend and into Niles..." more
Fatal Bike Crash Spurs Safety Research
VA - "...His bike tire got lodged in the streetcar track near 3rd and H streets NE. He fell and was struck by a bus and later died at the hospital." more...
Rails-to-Trails Green Issue
"...In this issue, we explore how trails and trail networks are transforming the country—generating transportation, economic, social, environmental and health benefits that resonate across communities and entire regions of the United States." more...
64 New Bike Friendly Businesses
"Today, the League of American Bicyclists — the nonprofit leader in the movement to create a more bicycle-friendly America — has awarded prestigious Bicycle Friendly Business Bronze, Silver, Gold or Platinum certifications to 64 companies in 25 states and the District of Columbia." more...
Rural Roundabouts Save Lives
"...With a roundabout, 'We eliminate the problems with determining whether there’s enough time to get through the intersection'..." more...
- UT: SLC to scooter users: Stay off the sidewalk
- MO: Kansas City's First Parking-Protected Bike Lane
- WA: Downtown-to-ID bike lane options are proving difficult
- CT: Agency accepting applications for trail improvement funds
- WA: Spending $23M on Burke-Gilman bike trail same as burning money
- MN: Minnetonka Bike Trail Debate Continues
- NH: Group seeks public input on future of Ashuelot Rail Trail
- CAN: City of Charlottetown, Cycling P.E.I. working on more bike lanes
- NC: East Coast Greenway could be coming through Cape Fear area
- NY: Greenway can improve health, reduce disparities
Cardinal Greenway Makes Hall-of-Fame List
IN - "...The Cardinal Greenway, the longest rail-trail in Indiana that stretches nearly 62 miles from Marion through Muncie to Richmond..." more
Cyclist Killed, So Parish Seeks to Make Biking Harder
LA - "The Louisiana parish where a prominent local politician was killed while riding his bike has taken the wrong lessons from the tragedy." more...
Endangered Bees May Affect Trail Building
Minnetonka, MN - "Plan to add mountain bike trails at Minnetonka park worries naturalists." more...
A Brave New World on the Bike Path
"During an otherwise relaxing bicycle ride the other afternoon, a young woman whose attention was on the cell phone in her hand nearly ran me down." more...
- WA: Craft breweries catering to cycling customers
- IA: IDOT accepting public input for bike, pedestrian plan
- AL: New Bike Trail Opens at Lagoon Park
Flood Damaged Greenway Could Reopen in September
NC - "...The popular greenway park received heavy damage from the flooding in May and has remained closed since." more...
- AZ: Grand Canyon closes North Rim road, trails due to wildfire
- CA: Trails west of Redding may not be open for a long time
- NC: Greenway could reopen by early September
- NJ: Livingston Makes Headway on Trails and Greenways Project
Freight Service Could Thwart Greenway Bid
IN - "...A railroad operator is making a last-ditch bid to buy the Nickel Plate tracks so it can run grain on freight trains into Indianapolis..." more
Allentown Trail Plan Moves Forward
PA - "...nearly a decade after the Connecting our Community plan was unveiled, Allentown officials have stepped up their efforts to get pieces of the trail construction underway." more...
Nearly 250 Bike Share Bikes Go Missing
Rochester, NY - "...People apparently have capitalized on a flaw in the Bluetooth technology the company uses for locking and unlocking. The issue worsened in July and the majority of the bikes are now missing..." more
Putting Bus Drivers on Bikes
NZL - "The group is giving the classic 'walk a mile in their shoes' approach - just on two wheels." more...
- DE: Cleveland Avenue construction will result in new lane configuration
- NC: Downtown Greenway begins construction again
- NY: Study measures health impacts of Genesee Valley Greenway
- ND: Greenway access approved
- TX: Proposed bike trail causing controversy for Bellaire residents
- CA: Placer County approves $3.5 million to go towards Resort Triangle trail systems
- GA: Cobb rail, trail advocates await CSX lease renewal
- DE: Five Points group’s decision wins wide support
- NC: Charlotte to host 'pop-up' events to discuss possible bike only lane
- NY: A collaborative approach to “refreshing” on-road bicycle facilities
- RI: Jaywalking turkeys posing a nuisance in Johnston
- OR: New rockslides delay reopening of Historic Columbia River Highway
A Big Day for Towpath Development
Ottawa County Park District Dusting Off Bike Trail Plan
Port Clinton, OH - "Ottawa County panel holds first meeting in a decade." more...
Rock Slide Closes Trail, Starts Fire
Manor Twp., PA - "...huge rocks and boulders smashed down onto the Enola Low Grade Rail Trail in Manor Township around 6:30 p.m. Some of the rocks fell onto live wires, which crashed into trees, sparking a fire." more...
D.C. Couple Killed While Biking in Tajikistan
"...A car swerved to hit a group of seven bicyclists; assailants then jumped from the car and stabbed the bikers with knives. Three of the bicyclists survived the attack..." more
Scooter Startup Wants to Fund Protected Bike Lanes
"A new transit infrastructure fund and global safety council aim to help scooter riders, cyclists, and pedestrians." more...
Cyclist Chases Down Purse Snatcher
UK - "...Despite being mid-ride and mid-snack, Perowne pedaled after the suspect with [a] sandwich still in his mouth..." more
Aggressive Driver Menaces London Cyclists
UK - "First the driver threw things at the cyclists, then acted as if he were going to ram them." more...
- OR: We Asked Portlanders to Tell Us About Scooter Riders Behaving Badly
- OR: $16M up for grabs for safer routes to schools
- CAN: RCMP still searching for man target shooting near bike trail
- ND: Reverse parking, centered bike lanes part of concepts ND Moves is trying
- MA: State budget allots $50k to rehab Greenway entrance structure
- NC: Salem Creek Greenway closed amid flooding in the Piedmont
- SD: Prairie Trail Project A Community Endeavor
Honda Offers Donation Match for Trail Paving
New Protected Bike Lane in Xenia
Xenia, OH - "...Have you ridden as far as Xenia this summer on the Little Miami Scenic Trail? Did you turn around at McDonald's because you really didn't like riding on the sidewalk through downtown Xenia? Take a look at the protected two-way bike lane installed this year on Detroit Street. Now it's easier than ever to get to Xenia Station..." more
Cyclist's Complaint Spurs Positive Action
Columbus, OH - "...Tonni was experiencing hostility on a segment of her daily commute—the narrow, one-lane bridge with a hill on St Claire Avenue that doesn't readily allow cars to pass when she's taking the full lane for safety (as is her right)..." more
Bike Lanes Pedal into Louisville’s Race for Mayor
KY - "Bike lanes represent a minimal part of the city's budget. But at times they're an outsized part of Louisville politics." more...
MUTCD Update From June 2018 Meeting
"...The NCUTCD approved and forwarded to FHWA 8 proposals at the June meeting. Two proposals may be of interest..." more
- WA: Can Seattle finally make good on downtown bike lanes?
- OR: Portland firm releases free legal guidebook for electric bicycles
- WA: Bellevue opens bike lanes and launches bike share
- TX: Hike-and-bike trail hits snag
- VA: New Protected Bike Lane Coming to Courthouse This Month
- SD: Oahe West Shore: Mountain bike trail on track
- IA: LPD Bike Patrol hits the streets of Le Mars
- CAN: New study on Vancouver’s Arbutus Greenway
- TN: Casteel Connector Completed In Cleveland's Greenway System
- CAN: Young bear spotted near Mission Creek Greenway
Chardon Seeking Input on Maple Highlands Trail
MTB Trail Gets an Upgrade
Hamilton, County, OH - "Thanks to a $5,000 grant from REI for major improvements on the Great Parks of Hamilton County’s Mitchell Memorial Forest bike trail, the park has improved signage, expanded the length of the trail, and made restorations." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
U.S. E-Bike Regulations are a Mistake
"No, I’m not suggesting that regulating e-bikes is a bad idea. However, I am saying that the classes established by the regulations get it wrong." more...
Bike Industry Vet Dies After Bike Crash
Boulder, CO - "Dave Whittingham, an industry veteran who managed bike shops, developed products and worked for several brands in the Boulder area, died Monday..." more
Harley Davidson May Include E-Bikes
Milwaukee, WI - "...In a news release, the company included illustrations of four electric two-wheelers, including lightweight street and offroad motorcycles, a scooter, and what appears to be a full suspension electric mountain bike..." more
- NC: Charlotte Moves toward a Car-Free City Center
- LA: New Orleans pledges more roads for bikers, pedestrians
- GA: Bikeshare Company Quits Atlanta, One Month After Launch
- WA: Seattle approves downtown bike lane resolution
- CA: New murals aim to bring attention to still-unfinished East Bay Greenway
- NC: County seeks $17M grant for greenway trail plan
- NC: Charlotte planning first of its kind cycle track for uptown
- CO: Backcountry Bike Trail Gets Overwhelming Support
- WA: Why Bainbridge bicyclists don't like the trail that was built for them
- NY: Washington County objects to Empire State Trail location
- WA: New bike lanes open in downtown Bellevue
Ohio Forest Uses Debated
Columbus, OH - "Debate is already underway through public meetings and on social media over draft plans to allow mining and logging of hundreds of acres and expanding by miles all-purpose vehicle trails in some of Ohio’s 21 forests." more...
Distracted Driving Law Increases Potential Fines
Columbus, OH - "Drivers could face an extra $100 fine if they’re talking or texting when they violate certain traffic laws..." more
Bike Trail Coming to N. Green River Rd
Evansville, IN - "Walkers and riders near N Green River Rd will have a safer path along that busy road." more...
Titusville Man to Receive Greenway Award
PA - "...These awards celebrate individuals, groups, and businesses which assist the communities of Clarion, Crawford and Venango counties to protect greenways and trails..." more
Connecting Tallahassee by Bike
FL - "...Today, Tallahassee is home to a comprehensive bicycle network, including protected bike lanes, bike boulevards, bike boxes, buffered bike lanes and trails, in addition to traditional bike lanes..." more
- WA: Council approves bike share expansion
- WY: Missing boy found
- CA: Hiker suffers heat stroke on trail in Lake Elsinore
- IA: Driver drives down mountain bike trail
- IA: On-street bike routes to begin with two streets
- CAN: Kitchener staff, residents cycle together to improve trail system
- IRE: Greenways helping to unlock the potential of farm sales
- NJ: West Morris Greenway Trail Renovations Completed
New Trail Opens in Ravenswood
WVA - "After a year of work by friends and community volunteers, Ravenswood neighbors will have a new bike path that everyone can enjoy." more...
Nickel Plate Trail Sculpture
Wagoner, IN - "Rochester artist creates bicycle sculpture for Nickel Plate Trail." more...
Touring Cyclists Killed
Tajikistan - "...Reports in local media say the suspects were armed with knives and attacked the tourists after the car hit the cycling group." more...
Bike Lanes Are For Everyone
"Transportation Twitter is buzzing today about an anti-bike lane op/ed in Crosscut that argues, among other things, that new bike lanes in the overwhelmingly white neighborhood of Wedgwood will hurt minority-owned businesses..." more
- WA: City Launches First Bike/Ped Greenway
- IRE: Greenway through North Leitrim is "as important as the N16"
- WA: Hiker dies trying to cross river at Mt. Rainier
- ID: Proposed Dockless Bike-Share Rules Rolled Out
- WA: Six Rivers Trail to run north to south through community
- UT: Body found near bike trail by man walking his dogs
Wasson Way Trail Section Opens
Cincinnati, OH - "Congratulations to Wasson Way Project and the City of Cincinnati for opening the first 0.6 mile of trail today! This exciting moment is just the beginning of what will be a nearly 8 mile trail corridor from Uptown to the Little Miami Scenic Trail..." more
8 Projects Planned Along D.C.'s Cycling Trails
D.C. - "One of the most bike-friendly cities in the country, D.C. has several major bike trails in the city and its immediate suburbs..." more
- AR: Bella Vista celebrates Razorback Greenway trail extension
- IRE: Limerick council allocates €200k for greenway
- CA: Greenway’s anti-rail agenda is short-sighted
- NY: Meeting set on $2.1 million bike trail grant
- TAS: North East Railway Line compromise fails
- VA: Four-lane highway, but no bike path
- NY: Suffolk 'Rails-to-Trails' path gets final funding at last
Hilliard Woman Killed in Bike Crash
Union County, OH - "...According to patrol, 26-year-old Shannon Mills of Hilliard riding a bicycle northbound on Unionville Road when she failed to stop at stop sign and was struck by a Ford Five Hundred traveling eastbound on SR 161." more...
Intermittent Trail Closures on Little Miami Scenic Trail
Washington Twp., OH - "Beginning next week (July 30th) expect intermittent closures on the trail between SR 350 (Ft. Ancient) and Strout Rd..." more...
CoGo Coming to UA by Late September
Upper Arlington, OH - "Upper Arlington is expected to get its first bicycle-sharing stations by the end of September as part of a project to bring more than two-dozen new stations to Columbus and three suburbs." more...
Distracted Driving Cop Crashes Into Cyclist
MO - "...Fasanello said he sustained minor cuts and bruises but wasn’t seriously injured. His bicycle was destroyed." more
Baltimore Bike Share About to Fail Again
MD - "Baltimore’s bike share system is close to shutting down once again due to a lack of maintenance from its operator and its equipment’s inability to handle wear. Most troubling, two out of every five bikes in the system have disappeared." more...
Mountain Biker Runs Into Black Bear
"...The biker reportedly came over a rise, and the bear was right there in the landing zone." more...
65-Mile Side Trail Connecting to Great Divide Route
MT - "...On its 20th anniversary, the Great Divide Mountain Bike Trail added more than 400 new miles to its north-south transcontinental map..." more
Incremental Street Fixes
"... an incremental development mindset can actually make it easier to do something quickly and make a more meaningful change." more
- CA: Arrest made in connection to Fort Ord trail attacks
- NJ: Roxbury Getting Cost Estimates on 'Shippenport Greenway' Trail
- IRE: Newry stretch of Carlingford Lough Greenway officially opened
- IRE: Locals furious after mindless vandals destroy Co Louth beauty spot
- D.C.: Two Dockless Bikeshare Companies Have Left D.C.
Man Allegedly Attacks 3 on Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "...The suspect, 32-year-old Christopher Bosewell, was arrested on W. 5th Ave and charged with 2 counts of felonious assault. Police say no injuries were reported..." more
Galena Brick Trail Update
Galena, OH - "The Galena Brick Trail (Phase 2) north of Holmes Street in the Village of Galena will be extended 1,775 feet. Project work has been awarded for construction to begin in August that should be completed in October..." more
Increase in Lyme-Carrying Ticks in Ohio
"...Black-legged ticks are the ones that carry Lyme disease and cases of Lyme disease are growing here in Ohio." more
Fishers Plans Trail Tunnel
IN - "...Trail planners said they determined quickly it was the only way to accommodate vehicles and people at the intersection." more
Bike Lane Experiment Results
Orlando, FL - "...The city reported a 53 percent decrease in speeding, 50 percent increase in biking and 38 percent increase in walking in the corridor during the pilot program." more...
Website Targets Bike Lane Scofflaws
Chicago, IL - "Bicyclists are fighting for space in Chicago’s designated bike lanes by posting vigilantelike photos of illegally stopped cars on the website Bike Lane Uprising..." more
E-Bike Industry Testifies Against Proposed Tariffs
D.C. - "Two members of the U.S. e-bike industry testified Wednesday in opposition to the Trump administration's proposed 25 percent tariff on e-bikes from China." more...
London Wants to Eliminate Traffic Deaths by 2041
"London has reduced traffic deaths nearly 50 percent in the last decade, but Mayor Sadiq Khan isn’t satisfied..." more
- TN: Nashville street sparked a debate over bike lanes
- LA: More people hit by cars than robbed in the Big Easy
- WA: Victim remains hospitalized 4 months after hit-and-run in Seattle
- WA: Closure on East Lake Sammamish Trail
- CA: Chula Vista hiker who died on Poway trail hailed as loving father
- NC: Slaying at scenic mountain inn rattles seasonal workers
- TAS: NE rail trail outcome a win for all
- CO: Sex offender accused of pulling woman off Littleton trail & sexually assaulting her
- NC: Greenway fencing upset residents
- CT: West Hartford Designates Three Neighborhood Bike Routes
Towpath Construction in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "...Despite being only 0.7 miles long, Donovan calls Stage One perhaps the most difficult phase to complete—due to a landscape covered by railroad tracks, changing elevations, and even an area where uranium was cooked to build the atom bomb..." more
Bike Path Tragedy Underscores Dangers of Roadway Crossings
MA - "...There is a high stop sign on the bike path but no traffic control on the roadway. Three children have been killed on the section of the East Bay Bike Path, according to Providence Journal reports." more...
Why Carbon Fiber Bikes Are Failing
"The high-tech material has been used to build frames and components for decades, but as bikes age, catastrophic failures are leading to lawsuits." more...
- VA: Mitigation efforts underway for Creekside Trail after several areas caved in
- GA: Atlanta Researchers Help Cities Track Their Sidewalk Problems
- MO: Scooting past the rules
- OR: Eugene looks into rise of ped-involved crashes
- OR: Let’s keep the Green Loop rolling
- MA: Grant money will bolster bike trail, harbor cleanup
- IA: West Des Moines restaurant and bar, opens on Great Western bike trail
- CT: Canton police investigate alleged sexual assault incident on trail
- D.C.: Flooding damages Rock Creek bike path
- MN: Possible regional bike path could connect multiple communities
- WI: FEATURED La Crosse debuts 'flow' bike trails in Upper Hixon
Alum Creek Trail Section Closes July 25
Search for Man Who Exposed Himself on Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "Columbus police are looking for a man accused of exposing himself to a jogger on the Olentangy Trail. According to the police report, the incident happened on Saturday morning." more...
Dayton Looks to be Better for Bikes
Dayton, OH - "...Dayton wasn’t always so bike friendly, and cycling advocates say there’s still room for improvement." more...
Grand Rapids Considers Bike Plan
MI - "Safety is a key concern for Grand Rapids residents who are interested in trading in their car – at least some of the time – for a bicycle." more...
Fishers Enacts 3-Foot Law
Fishers, IN - " A new ordinance in Fishers requires drivers to give cyclists a 3-foot clearance when passing them on the roadway." more...
What Type of Bike Infrastructure is Important to You?
Portland, OR - "...As you bike with your family around town, what’s your favorite 'thing' for biking safely?" more...
Drone Deployed to Help Bust Cyclists
CAN - "A group of cyclists in Collingwood, Ont. were stopped by local law enforcement who allegedly used aerial surveillance to observe them running stop signs." more...
'Poor Strategies' Have Been Holding Back Bike Sharing
"Mistakes in predicting regulations, poor consumer behaviors and a lack of brand loyalty could make bike sharing less profitable for companies..." more...
Louis Garneau Injured in Bike Crash
CAN - "...The 59-year-old is a former Canadian national team member on the road and track." more...
- OR: Oregon woman reunites girl with toy lion lost on remote hike
- OR: Portland’s 10 most dangerous intersections
- WA: Seattle bikeshare expansion raises concerns about blocking mobility
- MA: Boston Mayor tells scooter-rental company to slow down
- IRE: Kerry farmers protest over ‘rigid approach’ to greenway project
- NY: Two Rivers Greenway signage project now complete
- IRE: Greenway linking Glanmire to Dunkettle to be ‘jewel in crown’ of plan
- NY: River Trail spur born of public/private partnership
- NC: Over $25M in funding for Asheville area active transportation
- TX: Bayou Greenways Unveils Houston’s Newest Hike and Bike Trail
- WI: Safer Streets for Milwaukee’s Low-Income Neighborhoods
- RI: Boy struck, killed on East Bay Bike Path
- NY: Niagara Falls, North Tonawanda, Wheatfield join forces on trail project
Massillon Trail Robbery
Massillon, OH - "Two people are charged after a woman claims she was beaten and robbed of a cell phone while walking a trail on Sunday." more...
Massillon Adding Bike Routes
Safety Tips for Sharing the Streets
Columbus, OH - "...The city has taken what it calls the “6E Approach” when it comes to improving bicycle accessibility, according to Scott Ulrich, the City of Columbus healthy places and bicycle coordinator." more...
Input Sought for Kalamazoo River Greenway
MI - "What do you envision for the future of the Kalamazoo River corridor in Allegan County?.." more
Bicyclist Struck Crossing Road
Traverse City, MI - "...The car behind the [stopped] truck swerved around the truck and ended up hitting the woman on her bike while she was crossing." more...
Ofo Lays Off Majority Of U.S. Staff
"Ofo laid off the majority of its workforce in the U.S. on Wednesday as the Chinese bike-share company began to withdraw from several markets..." more
Uber E-Bikes Cannibalizing Rides from Uber Cars
"...New riders taking a spin on its red Jump electric bikes in San Francisco are more likely to continue riding the bikes instead of hopping in one of its ubiquitous cars." more...
New Traffic Signals Favor Peds in London
UK - "The city of London is on a mission to make walking as convenient as possible, using smarter traffic signals that reduce wait times for pedestrians." more...
Cyclist Clotheslined by Garden Hose
AUS - "He broke his collarbone, fractured several ribs, and will likely miss work due to his injuries." more...
- WA: DOT Chief: Fixing Congestion With Highways “Fiscally Impossible”
- WA: Mike O’Brien wants to hold SDOT accountable for bike lane network
- OR: Bicyclists Are Hesitant to Embrace New Bike Lanes
- LA: I-10 Widening project concerns bicyclists, pedestrians
- AUT: Vienna’s pilot project on banning cars at the start of the school day
- OR: The crusade for safer light rail crossings
- WA: Work on neighborhood greenway underway
- CO: Advocates raising funds for 32-mile Palisade Plunge trail
- SC: Storm damage shuts part of Big Creek Greenway
- OK: Hole on metro bike path has cyclists concerned
- IA: Storm Lake street bike trails still on hold
- TN: Parks & Recreation Department to open new bike pump track
- CAN: $4.5M in bike lanes coming for Leamington, Kingsville and Essex
App Will Offer 360-Degree Trail Views
MI - "The Southeast Michigan Council of Governments has partnered with off-road mapping company Terrain360 to bring 360-degree views of trails and waterways across southeast Michigan to the organization's ParkFinder app." more...
New Road will Include Trail
Santa Claus, IN - "...The new road will also incorporate a biking and hiking trail that will connect to the recreational trail system in the town about 35 miles northeast of Evansville." more...
Enhanced Greenway Patrols to Combat Fires
OR - "Four grass fires in a month along the Bear Creek Greenway, including one that burned 97 acres and killed a homeless man in Central Point, have local police and fire officials on the lookout..." more
Bike Lane Bouncers
CAN - "...what do you do when someone parks in the bike lane?.. more
- GA: Body found in creek near Ringgold sewage treatment plant
- NY: New foot bridge for 358-mile Long Path
- CA: Skyline Fire near Corona brings trail closures
- NH: Mascoma River Greenway Officially Opens
- IRE: Opportunity knocks for long-distance greenway through Limerick and Kerry
- LA: Injured bicyclist rescued from bike trail near Comite River
- AR: Lake Alma mountain bike trail in the works
Equestrian Access to Cannonball Trail
Parks Aim to Increase Accessibility
Cave City, KY - "...The Mammoth Cave project is an early step in a coordinated push by the National Park Service to improve and increase accessibility for people with disabilities..." more
Panel to Give Cyclists, Walkers a Voice
IN - "Local bicyclists and walkers would have a voice in the city’s efforts to become more recreation-friendly under plans for a bicycle and pedestrian council." more...
Teen Bitten by Snake on Charlotte Greenway
NC - "...The marks left behind were from a venomous copperhead. Her father rushed her to the hospital where doctors gave her anti-venom..." more
- CA: Santa Cruz County Greenway sues RTC
- IRE: Ireland’s new plan for greenways has just been announced
- OR: Bear Creek Greenway to be Closed during Festival amid fire concerns
- CAN: Vancouver gives Greenway the green light
- OR: Giving fire suppressants to homeless living along greenway
- CA: Marin County to appeal ruling on bike access to trail
- CA: Santa Maria puts bike, pedestrian paths project in motion
Simon Kenton Trail Paving Progress
Bellefontaine, OH - "@ 2.3 miles from the Carter Avenue trailhead in Bellefontaine to TR 199 were chip sealed on sub contract by the Logan County Engineer's Department.
"So far, many positive comments, as the trail is quite smooth..." more...
Options For Ottawa County Bike Paths
Building on the Reconnection of Parks & Waterways
Cleveland, OH - "In the last decade, Cleveland has done something of an about-face on its view toward its rivers and Lake Erie waterfronts..." more
Golden Spike Marks Finish of 50-Mile Bitterroot Trail
MT - "People in Western Montana are celebrating the final piece of the puzzle as the 50-mile bike trail that connects downtown Missoula to Hamilton..." more
Dockless Bikes: How Often do They Work?
Seattle, WA - "Traffic Lab reporters found that just over two-thirds of dockless bicycles were rentable..." more
Rally for Safer Streets in D.C.
D.C. - "...The rally comes after two cyclists were struck and killed by drivers in the city within two weeks of each other at the end of June and early July." more...
Dallas & Seattle Ride the Dockless Bike-Share Rollercoaster
"The two U.S. cities with the largest dockless bike-share fleets are now on different paths." more...
- IA: New Bike Trail Connector Officially Opens
- CO: No ordinary day on the bike trail
- IA: Building a rest area for future bike path
- IA: Views from atop Mount Trashmore must wait
- MA: Cape rail trail projects get kick start
- UK: Call for 20mph speed limits 'by default'
- NC: North Carolina DOT Needs a Culture Change
- OR: New plan aims to transform 122nd Avenue into a multimodal street
Man Brandishes Knife on Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "...She said she and a friend were biking there on Tuesday around 8:00 p.m. when a man she paid little attention to suddenly became more memorable by first yelling then much worse." more...
Clark County Trail Repair Updates
Springfield, OH - "Long, full width, pavement repairs were completed yesterday on Simon Kenton from Mitchell Blvd. to north end near Tremont City Road...
"There is still some work to be done on on the Buck Creek Trail from Art Museum to Plum Street as well as small repair on Little Miami Trail under Wittenberg Street bridge. Timing for these is not yet established. A few edge repairs, with timbers, on Buck Creek and Simon Kenton will be completed after larger asphalt repairs are completed." more...
TJ Evans Trail Construction Update
Granville, OH - Erosion repairs continue on the TJ Evans Trail in Granville, with a trail section closure still in effect until August 1st. However, the Main Street to Moots Run Road section has been paved and is now open." more...
Roundabout with Sidepath Construction
Powell, OH - "The roundabout project at S. Liberty St & Jewett Rd. Creating bike/ped crossings at all three sides and with added trail easement most all the way around..." more
Scout Installs Fitness Equipment Along Trail
The World's Deadliest City for Cyclists
Los Angeles, CA - "And how a small group of increasingly political riders is trying to change the congested driving culture, one bike path at a time." more...
15-City Bike Share Launches
MA - "In the Boston area, city-based bike-share is so 2016..." more
Groups Oppose Move to Speed Self-Driving Legislation Thru Congress
D.C. - "...The AV START Act, would create a national framework for regulating autonomous vehicles. Following the death of pedestrian struck by a self-driving vehicle in March, the League and other groups called for the legislation to be modified." more
- AZ: Solving Phoenix's deadly pedestrian problem
- D.C.: DDOT makes changes to intersection after cyclist’s death
- WA: Bike lanes and bus stops set to change in downtown Spokane
- FL: Bike lane project stalls in St. Pete after complaints from business owners
- FL: Road diet in Tequesta
- OR: City celebrates 2nd birthday for Biketown
- IL: Obstructed Chicago Bike Lanes Become Increasing Problem for Cyclists
- KS: Man steals 7-year-old's bike, gets caught on security camera
- TX: Officer buys new bike for 13-year-old
- CO: Harlingen to get new, expanded hike and bike trail
- AUS: Evedon retreat to get its own bike trail network
- IA: Rail depot replica proposed for downtown Swaledale
- CAN: Boy assaulted, robbed of bicycle on riverbank trail
Help Find Middle Branch Trail Attacker
Canton, OH - "Local businesses and park supporters are collectively offering a $1,000 reward for the arrest and successful conviction of a recent assailant on the Middle Branch Trail. This comes after a woman was approached and attacked on the section between Martindale and Spangler Parks in Canton on July 3.
"Stark Parks is asking for the public’s help in identifying the man. Anyone with information is encouraged to call (330) 479-2354..." more
Making the Most of Two Wheels in Ravenna
Ravenna, OH - "Under sparkling blue skies on a cool Wednesday evening, about a dozen area residents embarked on a winding, 4.2-mile bike ride through the city of Ravenna with the goal of creating a more bicycle-friendly city." more...
Help Authorities Find Suspected Bike Thieves
Dayton, OH - "Dayton Police have released images of three individuals suspected of stealing bikes in the hopes that the public may be able to help identify them." more...
More Tacks Found on Newton Bike Path
Newton, MA - "Someone or some people are placing thumbtacks on a popular bike route in the Boston area." more...
Forget Vision Zero
"...We have to lose the devalued 'vision zero' and simply 'stop the murders'..." more
Study: 91% of Drivers are too Distracted to Drive Safely
CAN - "...A recent study by Léger on behalf of Allstate Insurance of Canada claims that 9 out of 10 drivers engage in risky behaviour..." more
Safe Passing Laws in all 50 States
"Over the last decade and a half, the adoption of safe passing laws has been one of the most prominent successes of bicyclist advocates at the state level. Every year since 2006 at least one state has adopted a safe passing law." more...
Advice Transpo Advocates Should Ignore
"...To “advocate” is a verb. It requires you to occasionally stand up in front of other smart people and give voice to the politically unpopular topic that no one else wants to bring up. When you do that, people often try to talk you out of it..." more
BikeRadar Closes U.S. Offices
CO - "BikeRadar.com's publishers, U.K.-based Immediate Media, has closed its U.S. editorial offices, which included three editors who worked in the Boulder area." more
Provisional Anti-Dumping Duties on Chinese E-Bikes
BEL - "The European Commission has imposed provisional anti-dumping duties on e-bikes from China, with tariffs ranging from 21.8 to 83.6 percent, depending on which factory produced the bikes..." more
- FL: Tampa residents fed up with dangerous speeders
- WA: Seattle's permanent bikeshare rules to allow 20,000 bikes
- WA: Man killed while biking on Rainier Ave, suspect arrested
- CA: Naked Man Rides Bike on Highway 101 in San Jose
- GA: Car break-ins reported at parks in Columbus
- MO: Greenway cuts ribbon on its new trailhead at Grant’s Trail
- NC: Trails group donates to city of Marion for greenway cleanup
- MA: Bill allocates money for bike trail in Southampton
- MT: Final piece of 50-mile Bitterroot Trail opened in Missoula
Loop Trail Being Planned
Cadiz, OH - "...The new recreational path could eventually include up to 185 miles of hiking and biking trails. Planners said these routes will be connected to other trails in the surrounding area..." more
Temporary Trail Closures on Towpath
Barberton, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources will be completing tree work between Manchester Road and Snyder Avenue in Barberton. The work is expected to continue until approximately 7/20/18, and temporary trail closures will be in effect during this time."
Riverside Crossing Park Plans Revealed
Dublin, OH - "...In addition to the walking and biking paths, the new park is set to include a pavilion, a waterfall feature, bike racks and more." more...
Warrant Issued for Suspect(s) Who Assaulted Cyclist
TN - "Charles Peacock says three cameras on his helmet and bike were recording during his ride down Hickory Valley Road." more...
Judge Asked to Keep Public Away From Old Weapons Plant
Denver, CO - "...Environmentalists and community activists are trying to stop the refuge from opening to the public this summer..." more
- D.C.: D.C.’s struggle to reduce road fatalities
- OR: Man and six-year-old son injured in crash
- WI: Woman rides bike onto bridge as it opens
- OR: Climber falls 300+ feet on Mount St. Helens and survives
- CO: A lot of people are saying yes to e-bikes on local trails
- CA: Crissy Field Ave Closing To Convert Roadway Into Trail
- MN: Confused driver took car onto Greenway in Minneapolis
- NC: Teen shot, killed near greenway
- ID: Construction on Phase 1 of the Pocatello Greenway Continues
- NC: Sanford Creek Greenway vandalized
- AL: Ensley's Village Creek Greenway open
Sinkhole Closes Trailhead Parking Lot
Northfield, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "The Route 82 north parking lot is closed due to a sinkhole that has developed near the entrance. The [Bike & HIke] trail itself and the Route 82 south lot are unaffected."
Mill Creek Bikeway still Usable Despite Section Closing
Austintown Twp., OH - "...you can still use two portions of the trail from several access points." more...
Bikeway Access to Little Fish Brewing Co.
Athens, OH - "Bikeway access to Little Fish Brewing Company for the next few weeks is blocked at Armitage Rd due to slippage repair. The shortest detour is by walking your bike through the dirt parking lot under construction off of Armitage Rd, then across the grass through the hops garden." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest news.
Wawa Addressing Bike Lane Concerns
Philadelphia, PA - "The company put up signs encouraging customers not to park in the busy bike lane outside their Graduate Hospital location — but cyclists say they still want to see more..." more
Mapping of Macomb Water, Hike & Bike Trails
MI - "...In total, more than 680 miles of hiking, biking and water trails in southeastern Michigan will be captured via digital imaging." more...
Even These Bike Cops Don't Want to Ride on Streets
Denver, CO - "...it says something that even a cop feels unsafe biking in the street." more...
Why You Can't Sue Seattle Bike Share Companies
"...To be fair, nobody reads these things, but it’s in all caps, ‘By agreeing to arbitrate, each party is giving up its right to go to court and having any dispute heard by a judge and jury'..." more
Quick Fix for a Dangerous Road
Baltimore, MD - "Until last month, walking along Druid Lake Park Drive in Baltimore’s Reservoir Hill neighborhood was an extreme sport." more...
Have We Reached Peak Bike?
"...In the case of what I’m calling Peak Bike, the 'peak' doesn’t refer to product, but to customers..." more...
Bicycle Friendly Driver Training
"'I bet you save a life every day with the stuff you teach,' exclaimed one City of Fort Collins Bus Operator after taking the Bicycle Friendly Driver class. This is just one of the many testimonials that demonstrate the effectiveness and value of the Bicycle Friendly Driver program, created by the City of Fort Collins..." more...
- MO: Will Kansas City ever be bike-friendly?
- CA: Davis, CA, is Still One of the Safest Cities to Bike
- IA: Waterloo one of most dangerous cities for cyclists in U.S.
- FL: s a bike lane backlash brewing over St. Pete’s MLK Jr. Street N?
- SC: Columbia to remove bike lanes from Farrow Road
- AUS: Ofo bike-sharing company to close in Australia
- WA: Help push to get the downtown bike network back on track
- CAN: How dangerous are Toronto streets for cyclists?
- NC: Wake Forest greenway defaced with crude images
- NC: Police identify man found shot to death near Charlotte greenway
- NH: Winchester man injured in trail biking crash
- SA: Suspected Trap On South African Trail Injures Mountain Biker
- NY: Let the building of the Oneida Rail Trail begin!
- CAN: Rail trail connection drives ahead
Galena Trail Section Paving Coming
Push for U.S. Bike Route Designations
Lorain County, OH - "...In the commissioners’ July 11 meeting, they voted to support the Ohio Department of Transportation’s intention to designate existing routes as part of the U.S. Bike Route system." more...
Cannonball Trail Future Extension Link?
NW OH - "We’ve dubbed the western terminus of the [Cannonball] trail in Montpelier (Williams County) as The Last Mile. It’s easy to walk or ride, has signage, and is already a favorite destination for people from all over. For many people, this is the first mile. And while we call it The Last Mile, we still have hopes of connecting with the Pumpkinvine Trail in northeastern Indiana..." more
KY Safe Passing Law Took Effect July 14
KY - "The law requires vehicles passing a bicycle to use the adjacent lane if available. If an adjacent lane is not available, then the passing vehicle should pass to the left at a distance not less than three feet..." more
Body Discovered On Gary Bike Trail
IN - "Body Discovered On Gary Bike Trail." more...
Region Takes Home Greenways Awards
IN - "...Of the seven awards granted that day, two were given to region recipients. These included the Outstanding Trail Project awarded to the Oak Savannah Trail Extension in Griffith..." more...
Father Killed in Hit-and-Run
Grand Prairie, TX - "A family is mourning the loss of a father who was killed in a hit-and-run crash in Grand Prairie while he was riding his bike early Sunday morning." more...
- NY: Connecting the bike paths in NT
- AZ: Prescott’s Greenways are scenic, but do residents want to use them?
Rail Corridor's Future Still Not Clear
Trumbull County, OH - "...Developers of the ever-growing Lake-to-River Greenway bicycle trail in northeast Ohio are hoping to utilize this CSX rail property to help complete the last four-mile Trumbull County leg of the 79-mile Western Reserve Greenway Bike Trail." more...
More Biking Infrastructure Coming to Findlay
Findlay, OH - "...Findlay City Council voted in June to accept about $1.7 million from the Ohio Department of Transportation from its Transportation Alternatives Program, or TAP, to extend the Blanchard River Greenway Trail, and to create lanes for bicycles along Blanchard Street and Lincoln Street." more...
Turn Signal Clothing
"...Steven M. Johnson is a one-man Onion; he has been thinking new solutions to problems for decades..." more
- MT: Volunteers band together to construct balance bike path
- TX: $1.2-million grant to fund Arroyo trail extension
- IL: Urbana working with Carle on proposed Kickapoo Rail Trail expansion
- IA: Police: No foul play in Davenport trail death
- CO: Man accused of Greenway assault sentenced to jail-work release
- OR: Two fires on the Bear Creek Greenway in one week
Solon Trail Proposal on Hold
Solon, OH - "Plans for an expansion of Solon’s mixed-use trails could still move forward but the city remains in a holding pattern as it waits to hear about potential grant money for the project." more...
Towpath Trail Groundbreaking Coming July 30
Cleveland, OH - "Towpath supporters are invited to join public officials from Cuyahoga County, the City of Cleveland, Cleveland Metroparks, Canalway Partners and more to ceremonially break ground on Stage 1 of the Towpath Trail Extension Project." more...
Township Trustees Donate Land for Park
Ashtabula Twp., OH - "...the property is the ideal site for an access area to primitive trails." more...
Residents Upset Over Proposed Coal Mine
Perry County, OH - "...Families who live and work near a proposed mining site don’t want it there. They say it would be a disruption to the beauty of the forest and their lives." more...
Steuben Trail has been Years in the Making
Angola, IN - "...the trail, when substantially complete this fall, will travel over Interstate 69 along East C.R. 400N on a dedicated walk constructed for the trail near the Rep. Orville Moody Memorial Bridge that spans Lake Charles." more...
Future of E-Bike Trail Use is Muddy
AZ - "Sedona has without question become one of the most prolific mountain biking communities in the United States over recent years." more...
Turning Slip Lanes into Space for People
"...Since slip lanes serve no purpose except to shave a few seconds off car trips, they’re easy to convert to pedestrian space..." more...
What Will The Footpath of the Future Look Like?
"...Many footpaths (sidewalks) today are already functionally obsolescent..." more...
Portland's Scooter Tax
OR - "...Portland’s usage fee was eye-popping: 25 cents per trip." more...
- IA: PlyWood Trail still in planning
- WA: E-bikes will be allowed on some Seattle trails
- NY: North Tonawanda Council to explore $1.6 million bike path extension
- IL: Grant sought to finish Marquette Greenway
- CAN: Northeast Vancouver may be getting a little greenway love
- MD: Annapolis prepares to launch bike-share program
- WA: Bike share carried 209K trips in May
Blacklick Trail Missing Link Opens
Alum Creek Connector Reopens
Columbus, OH - "The paved Greenway path connector from east of Alum Creek Trail in far north Columbus along I-270 to/from Emrick Rd (Dempsey Rd & SR-3) was recently reopened.
"Part of it was relocated and repaved due to Korna Kokosing's office building expansion." more...
TJ Evans Bike Path Paving Notice
Granville, OH - "Beginning Monday July 16 - A section of the TJ Evans Bike Path in Granville will be closed from Main Street to Moots Run Rd for paving. The paving project will take 2-3 days to complete.
"This project is weather dependent and the schedule subject to change if weather becomes an issue." more...
Upcoming Mill Creek Trail Section Closure July 17
Austintown Twp., OH - "A popular bike trail will be closed or detoured for approximately one year while construction crews work on the nearby turnpike." more...
Detroit Bike Share Expands
MI - "After more than a year in operation, Detroit’s MoGo bike share is expanding service to more neighborhoods in Detroit, as well as to five other cities in the region..." more
Rails-to-Trails Mid-Year Recap
"...In 2018, RTC members’ grassroots advocacy helped procure just over $300 million for trails and active transportation infrastructure over the next decade." more...
Cyclists Sues a Group Ride
CA - "A bay area doctor is suing 26 fellow cyclists over crash injuries he sustained on a popular - and famously aggressive - group ride." more...
Why Did the Human Cross the Road?
"...to confuse the self-driving car." more...
Is it Time for Scooter Superhighways?
"...high-density cities should begin to convert some entire multi-lane roads to thoroughfares for two-wheeled electric/manual vehicles only." more...
- MN: Rochester Man Finds Stolen Bike on Facebook
- CO: City Council passes creekside camping ban
- OR: 11 arrested during latest greenway sweep
- WA: Yakima Greenway Fires Being Investigated
- FL: Man arrested after exposing himself on FSU bike trail
- CO: No changes to e-bike policy on Rio Grande Trail
- MN: City looks to get more people to bike and walk in town
- MN: Lake Wobegon Trail stretches to Waite Park with new segment
- CAN: Freight trailer left on bike path for months
Camp Chase Connector Progress
Columbus, OH - "The majority of the construction of the Camp Chase Trail Connector project along Sullivant Ave and Georgesville Rd is done. There is a short section missing to the north of (eastbound) Sullivant Ave across the railroad tracks to connect to the Camp Chase Trailhead on Georgesville Rd..." more
New Columbus Shared-Use Path
Columbus, OH - "... building a short but important shared-use side path along Cleveland Ave east side, between Community Park Dr and I-270. To connect with Westerville Schrock Rd, Sharon Woods Metro Park, Mt Carmel/St. Anns hospital and Chase Bank offices. Work started April 2018. Columbus section fully paved July 9, 2018." more...
Lorain County Wants National Bike Route
Elyria, OH - "...a closer look at Ohio will show just one [national] route through the Buckeye state..." more...
Rail Corridor Deeds Corrected by County
Solon, OH - "Somewhat to the surprise of all parties concerned, county officials have quickly corrected errant deeds to the city's proposed 'rails-to-trails' right-of-way, an oversight that stood for 26 years." more
New Nature Trail in St. Clairsville
St. Clairsville, OH - "...There's plenty to see, including new bridges and three different water falls." more...
Bird Scooters Come to Columbus
Columbus, OH - "...The dock-free, motorized scooters have begun popping up Downtown and in the Arena District, Short North and Bexley..." more
Officials Hearing Bids to Repair Greenway
Evansville, IN - "...A section of the Pigeon Creek Greenway between North 1st Avenue and Garvin Park has been slipping towards the creek..." more
Car-Free Lane Coming to Columbia River Highway
OR - "...When a six-mile section of the scenic road reopens this fall following a one-year closure due to the Eagle Creek Fire, the Oregon Department of Transportation says it’ll have one fewer lane for automobile users..." more
Poll Suggests Toronto Streets Not Safe for Cyclists
CAN - "...The new poll found that while more than half of those surveyed (56%) are aware of Vision Zero, they believe it doesn’t do enough to protect non-drivers on Toronto streets." more...
- OR: PSU announces free Biketown memberships for students
- WA: Year-long Elliott Bay Trail detour starts Aug 1
- CO: Woman cited for driving in bike lane along U.S. 36
- D.C.: Cyclist in Bike Lane Killed in Downtown DC Crash
- NC: Round Up For The Middle Fork Greenway
- CAN: Vancouver council paves way for Arbutus Greenway plan
- PA: Residents oppose proposed sale of ‘open space’ lots along Greenway
- CA: Cupertino bike advocates look to formalize popular dirt trail
- TX: Shoal Creek trail plan
- NY: DEC responds to mountain-biking concerns
- EUR: Amazon of Europe bike trail
Wasson Way Construction - Phase 1
Cincinnati, OH - "...This segment includes two parallel paths: one for faster moving users like bicycle commuters and runners, and one for slower moving users like families with small children." more...
TJ Evans Bike Path Repairs to Begin
Granville, OH - "A section of the TJ Evans Bike Path in Granville will be completely closed from the Main St bike path parking lot east of Granville Milling, up to the Granville Rotary Bridge, from July 18 through August 1. The repair is to correct bank erosion and unstable bank conditions." more...
County Allowed to Negotiate Rail Line Acquisition
State Park Officers Want Right to Carry Guns
Grand Rapids, MI - "...Michigan has 320 state park officers who are equipped with pepper spray, batons and handcuffs. The state has about 220 conservation officers, who are allowed to carry guns..." more
Driver Buzzing Cyclist at High Speed Caught on Video
Galveston, TX - "A cyclist in Galveston had a near death experience after a truck was caught on camera inches away from hitting her." more
Cities Look to Seattle on How to Regulate Bike Share
WA - "The Seattle Department of Transportation has spent months developing permanent rules for bike-share operations in the city..." more
New Round of Tariffs Targets $200B of Chinese Goods
"...The latest round targets hundreds of imports and includes many bicycle products and components..." more
Will Tariffs Slow Down China's E-Bikes?
"The trade war between the United States and China officially kicked off this past Friday, with the Trump administration imposing 25 percent tariffs on certain Chinese goods entering the U.S..." more
More Urban Cycling Saves Everyone Money
"Former Vancouver Chief Planner Brent Toderian is approaching his tenth year of living without the financial burden of car ownership..." more
- LA: Death highlights need for needs better bike safety enforcement
- OR: Fast-moving wildfire burns about 10 acres off Greenway
- CAN: Horses on greenway trails?
- WA: Brush fire on Yakima Greenway near I-82 slows down traffic
- VA: Harrisonburg OKs plan for new greenway
- CO: Mountain goats shot at close range on Colorado hiking trail
- WA: Seattle Parks board to vote on e-bike trail use
- MA: Bike trail to open in September
- MD: $9.4M South Shore Bike Trail Expansion
- RI: Herbicide on bike path is dangerous, ineffective
- TX: 1.5-mile expansion of A-train Rail Trail expected to open late summer
- IL: A Mellow Bike Detour for the North Lakefront Trail Shutdown
Athens Trail Spur Repairs Underway
Athens, OH - "...the repairs 'are ongoing and are currently approximately 50 percent complete'..." more
Warnings Issued After Attack on Trail
Canton, OH - "...Stark Park Rangers have posted signs with safety tips..." more
CoGo to Add Stations at Easton
Columbus, OH - "CoGo Bike Share has announced new bike stations will be coming to Easton as ongoing plans for expansion into Bexley, Grandview Heights, and Upper Arlington are underway." more...
Stop Parking in the 22nd Street Bike Lane
Philadelphia, PA - "On Monday, a biker was hit at 22nd and South streets." more...
Bike Activists & Firefighters Clash
Baltimore, MD - "Baltimore City Council is investigating allegations that fire department employees and officials are bullying and intimidating bike activists..." more
Richmond Considers Trail 'Slow Zones'
CA - "Following complaints by Marina Bay residents about safety issues on the San Francisco Bay Trail, Richmond is considering establishing slow zones and enforceable etiquette rules on bicycle and pedestrian paths throughout the city." more
Cave Diver Who Died Was an Avid Cyclist
"...A Facebook page for Kunan shows his love for trail running and cycling. He also competed in adventure races as part of The North Face Adventure Team." more...
- TX: Houston needs walkable neighborhoods. Now.
- MA: 'Parklet' parking on popular Boston street
- UK: New platform to 'revolutionise' road incident reports
- CA: 13-mile trail from Baldwin Hills to the beach set to open in 2020
- TN: Brentwood reviews options for connecting trails
- D.C.: New protected bike lanes are popping up
- OR: Cannon Beach nixes grant for bike trails on timberland
- CAN: Woman allegedly sexually assaulted by stranger near Oshawa bike trail
- FL: Central Railroad Corridor Greenway Pedestrian Overpass open in IRC
- OR: Grass fire roars through Bear Creek Greenway in Medford
Harrison County Greenways Plan
Cadiz, OH - "Following in the footsteps of its neighbors, Harrison County is developing a master plan for a system of hiking and biking trails to spur economic development and improve the quality of life." more...
Bike Advocacy Accelerating in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "There have been several Cleveland cycling “firsts” over the past several months. The first protected bike lanes, the first highlighted green lanes, the first bike signal lights, and more..." more
Pentwater-Hart Bike Trail gets $1.4M in State Funding
Pentwater, MI - "Sen. Goeff Hansen kicked-off a bicycle event in Pentwater on Friday, June 29 by announcing he had secured $1.4 million in state funds for the creation of the Pentwater-Hart Bike Trail." more...
Cumberland Valley Rail Trail’s Newest Employees: Goats
Cumberland County, PA - "Fast-growing and poisonous weeds are attacking the Cumberland Valley Rail Trail." more...
E-bikes, E-Scooters not Welcome in Austin Parks
TX - "...n recent months, urban transportation startups such as Bird, Pace, Goat and Lime (and now JUMP) seeded Austin streets with hundreds of dockless bikes and scooters..." more
- AL: Chewacla State Park's new bike trail leaves cyclists smiling
- GA: Finance committee to consider Sea Island bike trail
- CA: Proposed Ped, Bicycle Trail Leads to Controversy
- WI: Portion of Capital City trail closes for improvements
- CT: Bike trail stretches from Bridgeport to Newtown
Little Miami Trail Section Closings Coming
SW OH - "Starting in mid-July and continuing into September, improvement projects in the Fort Ancient area between SR 350 and Strout Rd. and near Spring Valley between New Burlington Rd. and Roxanna New Burlington Rd. may require intermittent weekday trail closures..." (Visit the LMST page and cycle through updates to learn more.)
Check out the Little Miami E-Newsletter to learn about what's happening on the trail.
Man Faces Murder Charges for Running Down Woman on Bike
Saginaw, MI - "...Green was driving his sedan when he encountered the two women on the street. He drove at them, crashing into Long and killing her, Stevenson said." more...
Concern for Deteriorating Rail-Trail Bridge
Montague, MA - "Montague residents are concerned about the condition of the Canalside Trail Rail Bridge." more...
Tanker Truck Crushes Bike During Right Hook
CAN - "Dashboard camera video captured in East Vancouver shows a close call between a cyclist and a tanker truck that ended with the bicycle being flattened by the massive vehicle..." more...
E-Bikes Are Getting More People Out of Cars
"A new survey takes a deep dive into how and why people use electric bikes..." more...
- NH: 2 sets of hikers rescued from White Mountains
- NY: Adirondack experience has become crowded
- CAN: An East Van Greenway?
- CA: SF River project mostly survives high water
- MA: Extension of Cape Cod Rail Trail hits snag
- WI: Wrongful death lawsuit to continue against driver in fatal bike crash
Woman Assaulted on Middle Branch Trail
Stark County, OH - "Park-goers are on edge and police have added patrols after a woman reported being assaulted and robbed Tuesday afternoon while riding her bike..." more
Mt Airy MTB Trail, 20 Years in the Making
Cincinnati, OH - "Mountain bikers and trail advocates from across the region braved Tuesday's sweltering heat to see a vision 20 years in the making finally become reality." more...
Bike Share Locations Announced
Toledo, OH - "At 18 different locations in and around downtown Toledo you will soon be able to take a different kind of transportation." more...
Search for Missing Cyclist Called Off
Columbus, OH - "A search for a cyclist who was allegedly hit by a semi truck was called off after a pickup truck driver returned to the scene to claim his bike." more...
Sharing the Road in PA
PA - "...As bicycling grows in the greater Philadelphia area, the practice of bikes and cars on the streets and highways of our region has become a challenge and an investment..." more
Adirondack Rail Trail
NY - "...Bicycling promises to be the Next Big Thing in the Adirondacks, an outdoor activity that will be hugely enhanced by this 34-mile trail connecting Lake Placid, Saranac Lake and Tupper Lake..." more
- AK: Boy, woman die in separate hiking accidents
- TN: Epping Way Leg Of Wolf River Greenway Now Open
- OR: PBOT’s latest greenway proposal includes pocket parks, mini-roundabouts
- VA: Riverside Park Stormwater Greenway opens
- NC: City bike rental could expand
- IRE: €2.3m Rural Development Fund to be spread around County Limerick
- UT: Popular bike trail damaged in Brian Head Fire officially reopens July 13
- TX: Waxahachie’s free bike program pedals into year 3
- IA: Popular trails around metro remain closed due to flooding
- WA: Intermittent Sammamish River Trail closures
Simon Kenton Trail Closure
Intersection Repaving Notice
Cleveland, OH - "Starting on or shortly after July 9th, repaving work will begin at the east end intersection of the Detroit-Superior bridge. The Two Stage Bicycle Turn Boxes will disappear for a while during construction, and will be replaced with temporary ones as soon as possible." more...
Q&A with Janette Sadik-Khan
Louisville, KY - "...It’s my understanding you went on a bike ride through Louisville. Where did you all go and what your impressions of the city?" more...
Boston Spikes Parking Fines to Help Fund Complete Streets
MA - "...Officials also say all revenue raised by the higher fines will be invested into the city's 'Go Boston 2030' transportation plan, which plans to expand 'complete streets'..." more
Trails Closed Due to Heat Concerns
CA - "Some of the most popular trails in the county will be off-limits this weekend due to extreme heat..." more
Great Sauk State Trail Commission Supports Trail Fees
WI - "...Individuals 16 and older biking or in-line skating the trail will be required to purchase a trail pass for $25; while those walking or hiking will not be required to have a pass." more...
Are Electric Mountain Bikes Ruining Trail Systems?
"...here we are again. Same story, new bikes. This time weighing the validity of electric-assist bikes on the very same trail systems..." more
Peds in a World of Self-Driving Cars
"It may be decades before AVs are good enough, so in the meantime everyone will have to keep out of their way." more...
- FL: Pensacola plans to add 30 miles of bike lanes
- SC: Columbia Puts Farrow Road Bike Lanes Plan on Hold
- OR: PBOT opens e-scooter pilot program
- OR: Signs vandalized on Skyline Blvd and Rosa Parks Rd
- UT: Bicycle friendly in the Beehive state
- CT: Still River Greenway Cleanup Begins
- CAN: ‘The Lookout’ and ‘The Ridge’ could be the first developed sections of greenway
- MD: Benefits of new bike lane & pedestrian path outweigh traffic back-ups
Solon City Council Hears Trail Concerns
Solon, OH - "Some residents living closest to a proposed recreational trail arrived at Monday's City Council meeting with new questions..." more
Driver in Fatal Bicycle Crash had Seizure
York City, PA - "...Killed in the crash was Christopher Kress, 45, of York City, who was riding his bicycle on the rail trail when he was struck..." more
Lynchburg Police stepping up Trail Patrols
VA - "...after an alleged rape at Riverside Park last month, Lynchburg Police are sending extra patrols to the bike trail." more...
Barriers Installed Along Goodman Trail
CAN - "Over a year after 5-year-old cyclist Xavier Morgan was killed when he was struck by a car, the city is installing a permanent barrier along a section of the Martin Goodman Trail to separate the bike lane from vehicular traffic." more...
- ID: Boise family hopes to get stolen bike back
- CA: The Del Rio Trail will turn an abandoned railroad line into a regional destination
- ID: Group working to bring bike park and new trails to Idaho Falls
- TX: Shoal Creek Conservancy wants to extend trail to north
- OR: Some safety hazards raised along our bike paths
- CA: Arrest made for recent fires along county bike paths
- MO: Commission considering city greenway partnership
Heartland Trail Sections Open to Public
Marshallville, OH - "While the Rails-to-Trails of Wayne County Board of Directors continues preparing to pave a 2.4 mile section of The Heartland Trail, the public is invited and encouraged to walk two sections which have been cleared and mowed. Both are easily accessed by starting in Marshallville, where parking is available."
Learn more about this trail project by reading this month's Wayne County Rails-to-Trails newsletter.
Towpath Section Closure July 9th
Akron, OH - From Summit Parks, "The City of Akron will be repairing a retaining wall along the Towpath Trail near Beech Street. Construction will begin on July 9, and the trail will be closed for 10 to 12 weeks between Beech and North streets. The City of Akron will post detour signs."
Knox County Parks July/August E-News
Knox County, OH - "...Another task to complete will start soon for the Mohican Valley Trail as the last section of the trail from the Bridge of Dreams to the Holmes County line will be re-paved..." more
Transportation Innovation in South Bend
IN - "...With its continued commitment to making advances in cycling infrastructure, policy and culture resulting is greater community connectivity and an enhanced range of affordable transportation options, South Bend has emerged as the bicycling leader in the Northern Indiana Region..." more
Roaring Run Trail Damage Causes Funding Concerns
PA - "A $6,000 trail repair sapped the emergency fund of the Roaring Run Watershed Association earlier this year and has trail officials worried about what could happen if strong storms further damage the trail." more...
The Story Behind Why the Rail Trail Ends at 12th Street
Charlotte, NC - "...South End’s Rail Trail was pretty much an accident." more...
Nanook Helps Rescue Injured Hiker
Anchorage, AK - "...This is the second time I've heard of he has saved someone from drowning in that river..." more
Electric Scooter & Bike Parking has Arrived
"Zagster, the bike-share company behind the Pace brand, is launching what it’s calling Pace Parking..." more
Denmark Allowing Fast E-Bikes in Bike Lanes
"We always write 'Learn from Denmark.' We take it back." more...
- GA: Eastside Trail extended on Atlanta's Beltline
- ID: Construction begins on I-15 corridor greenway trail in Pocatello
- GA: Where Gainesville is extending, connecting Midtown Greenway
- TX: Trailblazing a New McGowen St. Miniature Bike Lane
- IL: Bike share launches
- NY: Railroad unveils rail bike design
- NC: Officer accused in jaywalker's beating won't be charged
- FL: Vision Zero in Fort Lauderdale
- OR: Two bikes stolen in smash-and-grab theft
- CA: This Sacramento-area city is the safest in the country for cyclists
SKT Section Closing for Paving
Work Begins On Mt. Airy Bike Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "...We have planned somewhere between 4-5 miles flagged out right now, probably to be done in three phases over the next year and a half..." more
SW Ohio Trail Maintenance & Closures
SW OH - From Simon Kenton Pathfinders, "Trail repair/maintenance work is underway on the Little Miami Trail in Clark County/Springfield AND on the Buck Creek Trail east of the spur to the Simon Kenton Trail Detours will be posted for the Little Miami Trail--signs are in place--so be aware that you may need to divert to streets between Now and July 13th.
"There is no posted detour for the Buck Creek Trail closure. This closure is for a complete rebuilding/relocation of the trail where it has been eroded by Buck Creek. This closure is scheduled to be in effect until August 23rd.
"We have heard from the City of Springfield that work is not taking place on the trails July 3rd and July4th due to the holiday. However, there is the possibility that passage may be difficult in some places or that the trail may be posted as closed. Work will resume after July 4th." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest news.
Pigeon Creek Greenway Section Nearing Completion
Evansville, IN - "...The Hi-Rail corridor is nearly three miles along U.S. 41 between Riverside Drive and Walnut Street..." more...
Say Goodbye to Cars in Central Park
NYC - "The last private car entered the park at 7 p.m. last night, culminating half a century of advocacy." more...
Lyft Buys Biggest U.S. Bike Share Company
"The ride-share company will take on Motivate’s existing contracts, like New York’s Citi Bike." more...
Are You Guilty of Shoaling?
"...shoaling is the act of riding up from behind and stopping in front of someone..." more...
"Transportation stereotypes, like stereotypes of any sort, are silly..." more
U.S. Spoke Makers Adjusting to Steel Tariff
"Two companies that make stainless steel spokes in the U.S. are having to adjust to a 25 percent tariff on imported steel..." more
- NC: Charlotte City Council Fully Funds Bike Lane Expansion Plan
- FL: Demanding safety on more Tampa streets
- UK: 'Mini-Holland' schemes have proved their worth in outer London boroughs
- LA: Bicyclist says $920 ticket given to him was 'excessive'
- WA: Lime in Seattle: 1 million trips in 11 months
- CO: Bicyclist killed in hit-and-run
- TN: Woman dies in Great Smoky Mountains National Park bicycling accident
- TX: City cracking down on e-scooters after injuries on hike and bike trail
- TX: City reminds residents motor vehicles banned on trail
- MO: Man Gets 4 Yrs. In Attempted Rape On Greenway Trails
Followup to Complete Streets Workshop
Warren, OH - "After a workshop two weeks ago in which residents learned about the Complete Streets program of improving streets for all modes of travel, officials will now write a policy." more
What's New at Hocking Hills
Logan, OH - "Ohio's scenic Hocking Hills State Park is taking a page from the most popular national parks: using a shuttle bus to transport visitors around the property..." more
Montco Accepting Comments on Bike Lane Network
PA - "Those with strong feelings about bike lanes have until July 6 to submit formal comments on Montgomery County’s draft 'Bike Montco' plan..." more
Biking in Lansing
MI - "...The city is finalizing plans for an 'east side connector' pedestrian and bike route..." more
Expansion of Santa Fe River Trail
NM - "A joint Santa Fe city-county effort to restore the Santa Fe River bed and construct about 15 miles of trail wide enough for walkers and bicyclists is closer to completion..." more
- GA: Brookhaven OKs $15M in revenue bonds for Peachtree Creek Greenway
- AL: New Chewacla bike trail under construction
- WI: Repaving curtails summer biking on Madison's Capital City Trail
- MN: Downtown Stillwater will get bike rental station
- KS: A guide for walking in, around Manhattan trails
- LA: Making the roads bike safe in Lafayette
Buck Creek Trail Paving Progress
Future of Rail Line Debated
Warren, OH - "Trumbull County and CSX Transportation have six months to negotiate an agreement to turn nearly 14 miles of rail line into bike trail..." more
Grafitti Battle Continues Along Trail
Dayton, OH - "...when workers come to paint over what’s been put up, people come back to put new graffiti up..." more
Trail Crossing Confusion
Fort Wayne, IN - "Fort Wayne's trail network expanded to just over 107 miles last year and it created some confusion among trail users about the proper safety procedure when crossing a major road." more...
New Schuylkill River Trail Map
PA - "Free copies of an updated edition of the Schuylkill River Trail map, which shows what’s available where, when, and how along one of Montgomery County’s most popular multi-use trails, are now available..." more...
Female Raped Along Popular Bike Trail
Houston, TX - "...Police vaguely described the suspect as naked and bleeding from an eye..." more
Feds OK Rail Trail Plan for Catskills
Kingston, NY - "A federal agency has declared a 38-mile segment of railroad in the Catskills abandoned, clearing the way for construction of a recreational trail." more...
- MN: State gives $4M to complete White Bear Lake bike trail
- CAN: Mt Washington to open 13 bike trail on July 6th
- FL: Bike lanes will improve transportaion in Saratoga Springs
- OR: Life in the bike lane
- CA: Measure X revenue comes in $6.6M over projections
TJ Evans Trail Repairs Scheduled for July
Granville, OH - From Licking Parks, "A section of the TJ Evans Bike Path remains closed from Main St at Granville Milling up to the Granville Rotary Bridge, until further notice. The closure is due to bank erosion and unstable bank conditions.
"The repair is expected to begin by mid-July and will take 7-10 days to complete once started."
Name Released of Bicyclist that was Killed
PA - "The York County Coroner's office has released the name of the bicyclist who was struck by a car and killed in York late Thursday afternoon." more...
Jamestown Riverwalk Opens New Bike Trail
PA - "It includes a scenic overlook of the river located across from the McCrea Point and the Chautauqua Lake Rowing Association." more...
Broad Regional Greenway Plan
Pottstown, PA - "...Not only will it contain “best practices” for specific habitats and landscape types out in undeveloped areas, but also specific ways to improve specific greenways in boroughs, villages and downtown areas..." more
Most Drivers Ignore Speed Limits Along State Street
Harrisburg, PA - "A traffic study on State Street in Harrisburg where four pedestrians and one bicyclist were killed in recent months revealed nearly 60 percent of drivers exceeded the speed limit at 19th Street, heading out of the city." more...
Brookhaven Using Eminent Domain Again
GA - "...This is the second time the city has had to go this route to acquire land for the linear park." more...
Want to Ride from Fort Worth to Dallas?
Arlington, TX - "...With the new Arlington extension, 59 of the 64 miles of trails between Fort Worth and Dallas will either be in place, under design or construction..." more...
Ped Death by SUV
"America's love for SUVs is killing pedestrians, and federal safety regulators have known for years." more...
Drivers Addicted to Distracted Driving
"It’s illegal in 47 states, but too many people are addicted. It’s restricted in 15 states, but it happens in broad daylight and hardly anyone gets caught in the act..." more...
Taiwan Poised to Take Over Bicycle Production Demand
"...The European Union is enacting tariffs ranging from 80 percent to 170 percent on e-bikes made in China, and the U.S. is threatening a 25 percent tariff on Chinese e-bikes as well, causing suppliers to increasingly look to the island for production." more...
- WY: Mount Washburn trails in Yellowstone to close for the summer
- VT: Bike ferry service on Lake Champlain resumes
- OK: Conservation area linking trail systems is back on front burner
- NC: Homestead-Chapel Hill High Greenway Nears Completion
- NY: Chadakoin Park Trail, Bike Path Officially Opens
- VA: Take the train to Richmond, then bike back to Williamsburg
- TX: Dallas passes bike share ordinance, adds scooter program
- WA: 35th Ave NE safety changes still on track
Commissioners to View Niss Waterfall Preserve Property
Mansfield, OH - "The Richland County commissioners will view the proposed Niss Waterfall Preserve before deciding whether to support a plan by the Western Reserve Land Conservancy to use a state grant to buy the property..." more
A Regional Transit System for Bikes?
Detroit, MI - "Imagine a world where you can ride a bike from Ferndale to Oak Park to Detroit on a designated bike lane the entire way..." more
Extending the Midtown Greenway
MN - "...Cyclists have long dreamed of extending the family-friendly trail connection across the river into St. Paul, through the Capital City’s downtown area and over to the Gateway State Trail..." more
Public Deserves Answers in Bike Path Death
IA - "...after four days, no such probe of Saturday's fatal crash on the city's bike path is under way." more...
Read this related story.
- FL: Neighbors worry Boulevard widening could speed up traffic
- OR: Right-hook risk drops at Broadway and Hoyt
- NC: Marion greenway remains closed as city officials seek disaster relief
- OR: IC to hold hearings on Greenway options
- MN: Debate over mountain bike trail at Lone Lake continues
- TX: Five Takeaways From the Shoal Creek Conservancy’s New Trail Plan
Repaving Work on the Buck Creek Trail
Springfield, OH - "Work continues on new sections of the Buck Creek Trail... near the Springfield Museum of Art. more
Finishing the Central Parkway Bike Lane
Cincinnati, OH - "...Since crews installed the bikeway's first phase in 2014, it has sat unfinished and faced multiple attempts to remove it altogether." more...
Trail Access Law Goes into Effect
Indianapolis, IN - "...The law will limit liability for homeowners who allow others to walk through their yards to gain access to the trails." more...
Riverfront Planners Seeking Design that Withstands High Water
Columbus, IN - "A design firm is incorporating several features to prevent flood damage to a planned Riverfront development in downtown Columbus." more...
Woman Struck by Cyclist on Bike Path, Dies
Davenport, IA - "Ruth Morris was struck so hard on the bike path in Davenport, her shoes and earrings flew off." more...
Driver Charged for Killing Father
Tampa , FL - "...What type of person would purposely run over a family that was just bicycling down a bike path?.." more
E-Scooters, E-Bikes Creating Safety Hazards on Trails
Austin, TX - "People who frequent the Austin Hike and Bike Trail are frustrated by the number of people riding electric scooters and bikes there..." more
- WA: JUMP bikeshare in Seattle would be unlike its competition
- OR: Protected corners and new bike lanes
- CAN: BikeExchange set to launch in Canada
- CO: Pearl Izumi announces new 'social purpose,' sets ambitious sustainability goals
- CA: Twenty miles of bike trails for Pamo Valley
- TN: Body found on Rock Creek Greenway identified
- MO: New Greenway Will Surface St. Louis History Instead of Paving over It
- NC: Story-walk to add educational element to Burke greenway
- IRE: Kerry farmers: ‘Yes to greenways; no to CPOs’
Future Toledo Metropark to Include 'Emerald Necklace'
Toledo, OH - "Expanding the future Metropark in East Toledo’s Marina District with a horseshoe-shaped “emerald necklace” of green space is expected to be a cost-effective way of providing more recreational opportunities for the region..." more
Cleveland's Newest Bike Path
Cleveland, OH - "Cleveland's newest bike trail and multipurpose path is almost done, connecting Ohio City to Edgewater Park." more...
Driver Appears to have Deliberately Murdered Cyclist
FL - "...According to police, Morse turned his car around, drove across the grass, and—in what appears to have been an intentional attack—plowed into Aguerreberry and his sons. Then he fled..." more
Sidi Calls Out Unauthorized Websites
ITA - "The Sidi Company is warning consumers to beware of websites masquerading as 'official Sidi websites.'" more...
- OR: Forest Park mountain bike trail debate heats up
- GA: Firm chosen to design BeltLine’s new Buckhead segment
- AUS: Tumby Bay bike trail in the works
- WI: Police investigate two armed robberies on bike path, possibly related
- TX: Valley floodwaters submerge Arroyo Trails
- NY: Rails-to-Trails expands into Lincoln Park
- OR: PBOT releases draft version of Protected Bike Lane Design Guide
- OR: Jump and Lime offering electric bike share
- WA: Lower West Seattle Bridge reopens
- SC: Officers locate missing bicycle custom made for boy with autism
- TX: Man charged after video captures teen being run over on bike
- FL: Building a bicycle friendly community in Florida
Buck Creek Trail Section Closed
Closure is expected to last from July 2 - August 23.
Arrest Made in Cleveland Metroparks Jogger Attack
Akron, OH - "...Cuyahoga County Crime Stoppers say Travis approached a 54-year-old woman on an exercise trail and grabbed her by the throat, threatening to kill her..." more
Uber AV Safety Driver was Watching TV
"The safety driver behind the wheel of a self-driving Uber car in Tempe, Arizona, was streaming a television show on her phone until about the time of a fatal crash..." more
Taking on Car Culture in Los Angeles
CA - "Cyclists have long risked danger in Los Angeles, where a loose network of bike lanes means they often ride next to speeding cars. Now they want to change that." more...
Bike Helmets Rated on Safety
Blacksburg, VA - "The testing found a range of safety performance within helmets that meet CPSC standards" more...
Why the 'Distracted Pedestrian' is a Myth
"Most walkers are not texting when crossing streets, says a new study." more...
Paceline Podcast gets New Host
"Selene Yeager, better known as "the Fit Chick" from Bicycling magazine, has joined Patrick Brady of Red Kite Prayer as co-host of the Paceline Podcast..." more...
- TX: MPO takes action on cycling thoroughfare study
- IRE: Flanagan hits out at drivers parking in cycle lanes
- WI: Milwaukee’s First Protected Bike Lanes
- MO: BLT 19-mile bike lane still needs funding
- TN: Bike lanes not connected throughout city
- NY: Douglaston residents rail against Northern Boulevard bike paths
- TX: No Bicycle Riding Signs for Dowell Rd. Approved
- NLD: Netherlands to pay people to get out of their cars and on to bikes
- AL: New walking trail offers another fitness option
- UT: Utah national parks seeing increase in search & rescues
- D.C.: Congress bestows status on Mountains to Sound Greenway
- WA: Brush fire at Yakima Greenway under investigation
- WI: Bloody assault reported near Janesville bike trail
- MA: Framingham readies for next phase of Cochituate Rail Trail
- IA: City planning multimillion-dollar effort to stop path from sinking into river
Man Charged in NYC Bike Path Killings
NYC - "The man charged with murdering eight people on a New York City bike path and injuring many more spoke out in court Friday over a prosecutor's objection..." more
Driver Deliberately Plows Into Cyclists
Tampa, FL - "Police say a 'disturbed' man made a U-turn and deliberately drove into a family riding their bicycles in New Tampa on Sunday, killing the father and injuring his two young sons." more...
- NYC: Man charged in NYC bike path killings
- MN: Bike Advocate, 82, Receives Lifetime Service Award
- DE: Man on bike killed in crash with trooper
- MO: Gravois Greenway expansion now open
- GA: River trail plan gains traction; may extend to Buckhead
- NC: Transylvania seeks solutions for roads, trails
- MA: Kilmer Ave bike lanes are symbolic first step
Flooding on Blacklick Trail
Columbus, OH - From MetroParks, "The Blacklick Trail has flooded under Gender Rd., Winchester Pike and Hamilton Rd."
Burned Out Car Found on Bike Path
Miamisburg, OH - "...The call came in around 6:50 a.m. by a passerby who noticed the 2003 Honda Civic on the Medlar Bikeway." more...
Cyclist Found Unconscious in Road, $6K Bike Stolen
Columbus, OH - "Police are asking for help identifying the person responsible for stealing a man’s bicycle and leaving him lying unconscious on a south Columbus road." more...
Levy Sought for Bike Path Repairs & Upkeep
Chillicothe, OH - "...The [Ross County] park district owns and manages 22 miles of paved trail with 14 bridges, which need repairs and replacement..." more...
Rider of Motorized Bike Killed
Detroit, MI - "A man riding a motorized bike was killed after rear-ending a truck on Detroit's west side. The man was then hit by a car and police are looking for that driver." more...
'Sharrows' are a Failed Cycling Experiment
"Sharrows — those bicycle symbols on a green background that are painted on some downtown streets — are confusing and pointless. It's time for them to go." more...
- NYC: Cycling, street safety, harassment and the war on bike lanes
- WI: Mount Pleasant bike trail to connect to Petrifying Springs
GOBA Rider Killed in Crash
Greenfield Twp., OH - " An 80-year-old man riding in the Great Ohio Bicycle Adventure was killed Friday around 7:30 a.m. when he was struck by a pickup truck..." more
Groundbreaking at Mount Airy! July 3
"Cincinnati, OH - "The City of Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Parks Board, and CORA (Cincinnati Off-Road Alliance) are pleased to announce that an official agreement to begin construction on the Mount Airy MTB Trails Multi-use Trails has been reached!.." more
Cleveland Metroparks Acquires Dunham Park
"Maple Heights, OH - "...At age 101, the Metroparks are growing fast, with well more than 23,000 acres in 49 communities." more...
Girl Scouts Help Build Nature Park
Gahanna, OH - "...Troop 678 spent more than a year helping build a brand new park for the community." more...
Riding the New Bird Electric Scooters
Indianapolis, IN - "...Bird electric scooters are advertised as a way to take a trip that's fairly short but too far to walk. The new transit option started Friday in Indianapolis, so I gave it a whirl." more...
Cyclists Rail Against Hudson River Greenway Barriers
NY - "...some avid cyclists say the safety measures were hastily installed and fear the new wave of improvements will harm the bikers they are meant to protect." more...
Cycling Can Result in 267,000 Fewer Sick Days
DK - "Public health, the economy and traffic flow will all benefit if more Danes chose their bicycles instead of the car, according to a new analysis carried out for the Confederation of Danish Industry." more...
- VA: Work progressing on Rocky Gap Greenway
- IRE: Minister Cannon comes under fire for supporting greenway
- CAN: Chief Peguis Greenway Extension commences
- AR: Bike trail will soon be finished
- IA: Woman robbed at gunpoint on Council Bluffs bike trail
- CA: Proposed bike path in Solvang expected to revamp 'broken transportation'
- NM: Changing a popular TSV trail, building bike paths face torn reactions
- NY: Bike path damage leads to concerns, questions
- NYC: Park Row bike path is a good start
Hit-and-Run Driver Sought
Genoa Twp., OH - "...Crime Stoppers is offering a cash reward for any information leading to the arrest and/or indictment of the person(s) responsible for this crime..." more
Bike Park Working on Wider, More Accessible Trail
Terre Haute, IN - "A bike park in western Indiana has begun work on a wider course that'll accommodate off-road wheel chairs and tandem bikes." more...
USA Cycling & League Announce Partnership
"...We are very proud to partner with USA Cycling to help promote the sport of cycling..." more
Tariffs May Kill E-Bike Revolution?
"...To be fair and balanced, it should be noted that the European Union, which has a lot of e-bike manufacturers, is considering a whopping 189 percent tariff on Chinese bikes..." more
Cycling's Ride to the Right Law
"...I’ve come to believe that FTR (far-to-right) law for cyclists may be the most misunderstood traffic law in history." more...
- GA: Bike Lanes Proposed on Barber, Barnett Shoals and All Over Athens
- OR: In search of bike-friendly bus stops
- OR: What’s going on with the North Rosa Parks Way project?
- WA: Bellevue installing bike lanes
- WA: How did Seattle’s bike-share pilot go?
- ND: Fatal bicycle-SUV crash northwest of Fargo
- NC: Charlotte's $4 million bike plan
- OR: Bear Creek Greenway extension proposed
- IRE: Cork Harbour Greenway plan stalled due to changes in path width rules
- TN: Body found near greenway may be missing Tullahoma woman
- CAN: Mountain bikers want trail beside Chrysler Canada Greenway
- NY: Plans outlined for bike trail through Stockade
- TX: Harlingen could add 6.2-mile mountain bike trail
- MN: Hwy. 95 project includes Bayport bike lanes
Extension Planned for University Parks Trail
Street Calming, Bike Lane Investment at Risk
Cincinnati, OH - "Among Mayor John Cranley's proposed budget cuts for the next fiscal year, some improvements to the city's streets could be on the chopping block." more...
'Bike Montco' Envisions 800 Miles of Bike Path
Montgomery County, PA - "Officials in Montgomery County on Wednesday unveiled the early drafts of a plan that would bring nearly 800 miles of bike paths to the area’s suburban landscape." more...
City to Widen Inter Urban Bike Trail
Wyoming, MI - "A new license agreement with Consumers Energy will allow the city to move forward with planned improvements to the Inter Urban non-motorized bike trail that runs from 32nd Street to 50th Street." more...
Connecticut is 10th state to Enact E-Bike Law
CT - "...The Connecticut law varies slightly from the other states because it prevents local municipalities from allowing Class 3 e-bikes on bike paths..." more
Require AVs to 'See' Bicyclists & Pedestrians
"The Senate is hoping to pass Senate Bill 1885: The AV START Act this Summer! The bill will increase tenfold the number of automated vehicles being tested on our streets without requiring those vehicles to pass a federal safety standard proving they can "see" bicyclists and pedestrians." more...
The Benefits of Real-Time Transit Data
"A Sidewalk Talk Q&A with researcher Candace Brakewood on all the ways it improves our lives — and its role in a potential car-free urban future." more...
- OR: Portland hopes 'smart' sensors will help transportation officials make safer streets
- KS: Think Topeka has a parking problem? Take a hike
- FL: Backlash over Curry Ford Road bike lane experiment
- OR: Greeley bike path project delayed again
- CA: LAPD tests Bulls e-bike patrols as part of its green initiative
- MN: Proposed bike trail would connect Wisconsin to Winona
- MN: Lake Wobegon Trail to hold ceremony to celebrate completion of trail extension
- UK: Project to improve the Greenway from Rushden Lakes to Rushden town centre
Cyclist Hit in Italian Village
Columbus, OH - "A neighbor was hit by a car while riding a bike in the bike lane at Summit and 4th Avenue on Friday evening around 11:30 p.m..." more
Park Board to Vote on Nature Preserve Acquisition
Conservancy Group Eyeing Property Near B&O Trail
Mansfield, OH - "The Western Reserve Land Conservancy is looking to create a nearly 300-acre land conservancy in the area where Springfield, Troy, Washington and Madison townships meet..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Groundbreaking for Warrior Trail
Vigo County, IN - "...It’s designed to be a multi-use trail with off-road wheelchairs in mind..." more
U.S. Proposes 25% Tariff on China-Made E-Bikes
D.C. - "The industry is scrambling after the Trump administration includes e-bikes on its list of proposed tariffs." more...
How Traffic Signals Favor the Car
"Traffic signals are a source of great inequality in the urban realm, giving priority to motor vehicles over pedestrians..." more
- LA: Proposed bike share program on Northshore worries businesses
- MA: Ware selectmen appeal road redesign
- NC: Here come the scooters
- FL: Largo residents fed up with dangerous jaywalking
- OR: Time to make southeast Portland’s infrastructure gaps 'SEAMless'
- CO: St. Vrain Greenway stretch reopens through Sandstone Ranch in Longmont
- VA: Roanoke River Greenway, Huckleberry Trail subject of merge discussion
- NC: New ped bridge to link Three Rivers Greenway to Saluda River island
- MN: Truman reviews bike trail concept
- CO: BLM approves Palisade Plunge bike trail
- NE: 5 indecent exposures reported, 3 of them on Lincoln bike trails
The Baileys Trail System
Athens, OH - "...The Forest Service is working with the National Forest Foundation and Quantified Ventures to explore how an innovative finance mechanism can support an 88-mile multiuse trail on 9,000 acres of national forest land in Athens County." more...
Big Changes on the Bridge
Cleveland, OH - "The eastbound bike lane on Detroit-Superior bridge has gone through another stage of work, and is now complete all the way to the end..." more
Central Ohio Greenways
Columbus, OH - "The Central Ohio Greenways are perhaps the most-used walking and biking trails in Central Ohio, with the popular Olentangy Trail being the busiest multipurpose trail in Ohio..." more...
Coach Killed by Driver
Bowling Green, KY - "The head coach for Western Kentucky University’s men’s golf team was killed while riding his bike Sunday morning." more...
River Valley Trail Completion set Back a Year
IN - "It will be at least another year before the final gap in a popular trail is filled in, allowing walkers and bicyclists an uninterrupted path from Niles to Mishawaka." more...
Fortville Nabs $9M for Main Street Facelift, Trail
IN - "...About $6 million will be used to build a 2-mile pedestrian and bike trail from downtown to the Mount Vernon schools complex..." more...
Will Bikes Be Must-Haves in the City?
"Cities around the world are turning to the bicycle to help solve congestion and pollution issues, as urbanisation increasingly puts pressure on traditional infrastructure." more...
The E-Bike That Generates Cryptocurrency as You Ride
"Specialist electric bike retailer and distributor 50 Cycles will mark 15 years in business with the launch of an electric bike label, dubbed Toba, that generates cryptocurrency for its customers as they ride." more...
- GA: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in the City of Atlanta
- NYC: Brad Lander Bill Would Empower City to Rein In Repeat Traffic Camera Violators
- WA: Pedestrian and bicyclist deaths double statewide in recent years
- MA: Suspected drunken driver flees Revere hit-and-run with bicycle under car
- CAN: Seaforth first ever for Huron County to welcome bike paths in urban centre
- TN: Bikers vs. hikers
- CO: Trail to connect Grand Junction, Fruita to Kokopelli trailhead
- VA: Support for connection of Huckleberry to Roanoke greenway
- CAN: Construction on Sackville Greenway continues
Rail Line Abandonment Fuels Speculation
Trumbull County, OH - "...Zach Svette, MetroParks projects manager, said the MetroParks had started engineering to create an alternate route for the bike and hike trail. It had appeared the CSX route was not available. But with the requested abandonment, that route is back on the table." more...
North Country Trail May Extend into Vermont
Montpelier, VT - "A hiking trail that would run from North Dakota to Maine is one step closer to getting the necessary funding." more...
Over the Underpass
"Highways have divided and afflicted city neighborhoods for decades..." more
- IL: Brackett dies at 76 after bike fall
- AL: Bike trail underway at Chewacla
- IA: T-Bone Trail expanding
- NY: First phase of Kingston Point Rail Trail set to go to bid
- TN: Highway Department to soon seek bids on Blount County Greenway Trail
- MT: Trail along Silver Bow Creek struggles toward completion
Boy on Bike Struck by Car
Cleveland, OH - "...The boy was believed to have been riding his bike across the intersection when he was struck." more...
Mother Recovering After Being Struck by Cyclist
Seattle, WA - "A mother is recovering after a bicyclist slammed into her while she was walking with her newborn on the Burke-Gilman Trail." more...
Neighbors “Daylight” Sidewalks, Show City How It’s Done
Seattle, WA - "...Making a key neighborhood street safer for all." more
Bike Share Can Save Our Cities
"The problem isn’t dockless bikes. It's dockless cars." more...
- NY: New City Riverwalk Trail To Feature A Variety Of Nature
- MA: Proposed bike crossing draws critics in Brewster
- CO: Ebike rental business on a ROLL in Durango
- NY: Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail construction to continue
- NC: Greenway expansion costs raise questions
- WA: Construction to begin soon on new Bainbridge Sound to Olympics Trail segment
Woman Assaulted on Berlin Hike & Bike Trail
Deerfield, OH - "Authorities are looking for the man responsible for assaulting a female bicyclist while she was riding along the Berlin Hike and Bike Trail on Thursday evening." more...
Oakfield Trailhead Improvements
Bristol, OH - "...The trailhead, which is part of the Trumbull County Metro Parks District, will include the repaving of the existing parking lot and access drive on Hyde-Oakfield Road." more...
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
OH - Read the latest edition.
Trail Advocates Recognized for Their Work
Fort Wayne, IN - "Fort Wayne-area trails advocates or organizations were recognized Thursday by the Greenways Foundation for their contributions to trails in Indiana..." more
Call to Extend Penn Avenue Bike Lane
Pittsburgh, PA - "...After a pleasant mile-long ride on Penn Avenue’s protected bike lane, the lane abruptly ends at 16th Street in the Strip. From there, the protected bike area disappears..." more
Class 2 E-Bikes May be Banned
CO - "...In the eyes of the board majority, class two e-bikes are too much like motorized vehicles." more...
The Rise of U.S. Bike Networks
"...A world class bike path in the heart of the city, built over the water to bypass a tangled mess of highways and train tracks that had historically cut off the city from its river." more...
Crackdown on Illegal Trails Causes Anger
AUS - "...The department destroyed at least 8km of tracks in Gooseberry Hill this week with earth-moving equipment, ripping through native vegetation and dragging debris through the area." more...
- NY: Land Trust and Ithaca resident receive national awards for trail work
- CA: Property owner shares concerns about greenway trails project
- UK: Cycling, walking and horse-riding routes radiating out of Cambridge endorsed
- SCT: Scotland is subsidizing electric bikes
Zanesville Trail Construction Moving Forward
Zanesville, OH - "A new multi-purpose trail to connect Zanesville High School and the surrounding area to the Collegial Trail on the campus of Ohio University Zanesville is moving forward..." more...
The Future of Bikes on Public Square?
Cleveland, OH - "At some point this week during the preparation for the reopening of Public Square – the bicycle markings within the shared lanes disappeared – deeply scrubbed from existence. The signage vanished from the roadsides as well." more...
Bicyclist Killed in Hit-and-Run
Lancaster, OH - "...Police are looking for a green Honda, possibly a Civic..." more
Metroparks Release Sketch of Attack Suspect
Garfield, Heights, OH - "The Cleveland Metroparks Rangers Department released a sketch on Thursday of the man it says attacked a female jogger." more...
New Bike Lanes Create Confusion
Pottstown, PA - "...Borough officials said the new bike lanes should keep bikers and pedestrians safe, but residents said the new lanes have changed traffic patterns..." more
Firefighters Rescue Girl Trapped in Bike
Spokane Valley, WA - "...Spokane Engine 8 responded to a call when 4-year-old Olivia got her foot stuck between the frame and crank of her bicycle..." more
- OR: ODOT cites high speeds in rejection of lower speed limit request
- WA: Biking on 2nd Ave downtown is up 37% as bike share and bike lanes expand
- CAN: Toronto's carnage in the streets called a "state of emergency"
- NE: Trail construction would force city to cut down 30 trees
- VT: Killington-to-Rutland bike trail envisioned
- IL: Retired reporter in serious bike accident
- MO: Greenway to be featured in St. Mary's project
Street Closure Will Bring Protected Bike Lane
Cleveland, OH - "...This work brings the construction project on Superior to a close, and will allow the protected lane to be installed on the bridge eastbound, the bike lanes to be painted on Superior between 6th and 9th, as well as getting the long awaited Two Stage Bike Turning Boxes and Bike Signal implemented." more...
Driver Who "Couldn't See" Strikes, Kills Bicyclist
New Philadelphia, OH - "...in fact, it appears that he never saw ANYTHING for ” FIVE TO SIX SECONDS” prior to the crash… he was just driving along on Hopes & Prayers I guess…" more
Blue Ash Gets Bike Share
Blue Ash, OH - "...The Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash announced it has partnered with Cambridge, Massachusets-based Zagster, Inc. to launch the 50-bike bike share program -- making it the first Greater Cincinnati suburb to host such a program." more...
Downtown Cincy Traffic Signal Survey
Cincinnati, OH - Take the survey.
Pumpkinvine Trail Boosts Community, Economy
Goshen, IN - "...The nonprofit Friends of the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail created the trail to connect communities and increase safety, said Brittany Short, the nonprofit vice president." more...
Women Shun Cycling Because of Lack of Safety
"Roads designed by men are killing women – and stop millions from cycling." more...
How to Use On-Bike Video Footage
"More cyclists are riding with forward-and-rear-facing cameras. But what do you do when authorities won't review the footage?" more...
- ME: Police to target drivers who put cyclists, Pedestrians at risk
- WI: Suspect in custody for bike trail sexual assaults
- WA: Elliott Bay Trail reroute
- TX: Houston MP opens 4-mile greenway
Portion of Ohio River Trail to Close
Marietta, OH - "Part of the Ohio River Trail Bike Path in Marietta will be closed until July 2 for construction at the Marietta Wastewater Treatment Plant." more...
Warren Considering Complete Streets
Warren, OH - "Could re-working streets and Warren's transportation system make living in the city safer?" more...
Landslides Block Sections of Great Allegheny Passage
PA - "Sunday’s storms created landslides along the Great Allegheny Passage bicycle trail in Elizabeth Township, McKeesport and Fayette County." more...
Proposed New Delaware Avenue Bike Trail
Philadelphia, PA - "...The proposal would effectively replace the bike lane along the east side of Delaware Avenue with a two-way cycle track..." more
Deadly Crash a Microcosm of Everything Wrong with Roads
CAN - "A woman died at the hands of a driver going too fast on a road too wide in a truck too big in a city too enthralled by auto-centrism." more...
- OR: Portland to accept $2M in state funds for greenway
- CO: $8,000 bike stolen from Ride the Rockies corral
- PRK: Bike Diplomacy in South Korea
- TN: Electric bikes could inspire Knoxville greenway changes
- AR: Bentonville Takes On Graffiti in Razorback Greenway Tunnels
- NJ: Morris Canal Greenway New App and Way Finder Signs, Dedication Ceremony
- IRE: Man assaulted with hammers and bats on greenway
- TX: Mountain lion safety: What you should know
- MA: Rail Trail through Lynn is in the works
- IA: Plans to launch 'dockless' bike share in Coralville
- GA: Paulding bicycle rentals for trail users
- CAN: City of Nanaimo to press ahead with path
Jogger Attacked at Garfield Park Reservation
Cleveland, OH - "...During the victim's jog at 6:45 a.m., a man approached her on an exercise trail, grabbed her by the throat, and instructed her not to say anything or he would kill her." more...
100 Bikes Go to Kids
Cincinnati, OH - "...AFTA-Cincinnati (Armed Forces Tickets Association of Cincinnati) and the Cincinnati Bengals are teaming up to give away about 100 bicycles to area children of active-duty military service members." more...
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Kalamazoo Crash Driver Sentenced
MI - "...a judge sentenced Pickett, 52, to more than 40 years in prison..." more
Philly Opens 2 Trail Projects
PA - "The city celebrated the opening of two portions of their Circuit Trails last week, which—when finished—will bring 800 miles of walking, biking, and running trails to the greater Philly area." more...
Logansport Enacts Bike & Ped Master Plan
IN - "...The Bicycle & Pedestrian Master Plan that the Logansport Plan Commission passed June 11 resulted from the creation of the city's Complete Streets Committee in 2014." more...
Philly Turns on 1st Bike Traffic Lights
PA - "The future is officially here, two of the Philadelphia’s busiest intersections are now equipped with city’s first-ever bicycle traffic lights." more...
Man Convicted of Selling Counterfeit Bike Helmets
Louisville, KY - "Stepp was charged with selling Specialized, Giro and Catlike helmets he had purchased on Ali Express." more...
Bike Lane Removal Questioned
St. Louis, MO - "...It was really upsetting that one of our only safe route north and south was taken away..." more
Cyclist Fined $381 for Reflectors Violation
CAN - "An update to Quebec’s Highway Safety Code has seen increased fines for cyclists who break the rules..." more
The Most Hostile Infrastructure
"...Car-centric infrastructure physically prevents people from using other modes." more
- AZ: Phoenix facing hurdles in adopting 'Complete Streets' guidelines
- UK: London Cycling Campaign to promote "cycling etiquette"
- TX: The largest bicycle pump track in the nation
- UK: Lorries and potholes put people off cycling, survey suggests
- AL: Community concerned after double murder in Cook Springs
- IRE: Greenway bye-laws to be introduced
- WI: New bike trail a thing of beauty
- MN: East Long Lake Road to become bike trail
- SD: Design to finish bicycle trail around lake unveiled
- CT: New Milford Town Council considers $18.5 million river trail
- WI: Offensive graffiti on bike trail
Bicyclist Shot with Paintball
Dayton, OH - "...Police say the man was riding his bike when the paintball came from a passing car..." more
Columbus Still Behind in Bike-Friendly Infrastructure
Columbus, OH - "...for everything Columbus has to offer, Indy still has the edge in one regard — it is way easier to get around downtown Indianapolis on a bike than it is here in Columbus." more...
Metro Parks Plan to Seek More Funding
Columbus, OH - "Metro Parks plans to put a 10-year, 0.95-mill levy on the Nov. 6 ballot that would raise $6 million more a year than its current, expiring levy to pay for and maintain new and existing park land." more...
City Plans Bike/Walk Lanes
Traverse City, MI - "...Lancewicz said she’s excited to hear Traverse City officials are planning to add two 5-foot-wide lanes to either side of the road for biking and walking." more...
Work Continues on 500-Mile Trail Plan
Milwaukee, WI - "...The Route of the Badger project has been in the works for a few years, Wisconsin Public Radio reported . It would connect existing trails and add more trail miles in seven counties." more...
Copenhagenize Your City
"The case for urban cycling in 12 graphs." more
- OR: Here’s what one of our deadliest streets will look like by the end of next year
- NC: Rail trail continues to move forward
- CA: Trail extension would lead cyclists, hikers past winery to Napa River
Community Happy With Trails
Fort Wayne, IN - "With more than 100 miles of paved bike paths, the trail system that runs through Fort Wayne and surrounding areas has turned into a recreational bonus for residents and visitors." more...
- AL: Double homicide investigation underway in St. Clair Co.
- TX: New bridge in McAllen makes hike-and-bike trail more accessible
- CO: Powderhorn Trades Snow for Dirt
- MN: Jackson earns bicycling-friendly distinction
- IRE: Minister rules out reopening of Western Rail Corridor to trains
Lake to Lakes Trail Detour
Cleveland, OH - "Heavy spring rains damaged a small portion of the Lake to Lakes Trail that require an on-road detour until work is completed. While we don’t have a solid timeline for completion, progress does seem to be underway." more...
Simon Kenton Trail Paving Starting Soon
Bellefontaine, OH - From facebook.com/SimonKentonPathfinders, "Our June paving project on the Northern extension of the SKT will be taking place within the next couple of weeks, weather permitting. During that time, the trail will be closed for a day or so.
"The section to be paved will be from Carter Avenue in Bellefontaine, South to CR 200..."
Trail Link Work to Begin Monday
Mt. Vernon, OH - "Work should begin Monday morning on the short bicycle trail segment from the old railroad trestle, behind Creno's and to the small bridge over Dry Creek..." more
City Moving Forward on Connector Trail
Youngstown, OH - "City officials expect to select an engineering firm next week for a proposed hiking and biking trail connecting Mill Creek MetroParks with downtown Youngstown..." more
Boston's New Connect Historic Boston Bike Trail
Dispute Over Rocky Flats Continues
Denver, CO - "...Part of the site is now a wildlife refuge, and the government plans to open hiking trails and visitor facilities there this year." more...
Interbike Podcast Looks at Booming Gravel Market
CA - "On the heels of the Dirty Kanza, which took place last weekend, Interbike – The Podcast talks to the Emporia event’s organizers including Jim Cummins and LeLan Dains about how the sold-out event went off this year..." more
- WI: 320-mile Rock River Bike Trail to stop in Watertown
- CA: Costa Mesa council adopts new transportation plan to promote walking and biking
- AK: Police look at clearing up 'grids' of illegal camps in parks, along trails
- MA: Little River Trail system dedication on Saturday
- TN: Linear Trail tunnel project ahead of schedule
- CAN: Mission Greenway Trail reopens in Kelowna
- AL: Riverfront Greenway Trail Expected to Open this Summer
- OR: Willamette Greenway Trail Reopens With Improved Path
- NC: Charlotte's plan to close a frustrating trail gap
- GA: Investors aren’t giddy about dropping big bucks for Buckhead park
LimeBike Rolls out in Columbus
Columbus, OH - "Lime, a dockless bike-sharing service backed by Silicon Valley venture capital, has placed 750 bright-green bikes for rent in Central Ohio." more...
Black Bear Disrupts Bike Lane Use
Reno, NV - "...The animal spent more than a quarter of an hour near a bike trail waiting for her cub to come down a tree." more...
10K Bike Share Bikes in Seattle
WA - "...The study found that the 10,000 bikes from Spin, LimeBike, and Ofo were ridden 468,000 times from July 2017 to the end of the year." more...
Update on Dallas Bike Share Mess
TX - "...there are fewer of those lite-brite buck-an-hour bikes littering Dallas' sidewalks today than there were a few months ago..." more
Why Don't E-Bikes get the Same Support as E-Cars?
"...So why is so much money, energy and attention focused on one mode of transport, the electric car?" more
- GA: Fatal wrecks involving pedestrians up 16%
- AL: Montgomery green lights bike-share companies
- SGP: Singapore to require geofencing for bike-share operators
- OR: The SW Corridor project DEIS is out
- WA: Expedia Group Announces Plan to Improve Elliott Bay Trail
- WA: Repaving Projects Offer Means to Complete Seattle Bike Network
- OR: Stolen racing bike returned to owner
- D.C.: Transportation Legislation in Washington
- FL: Man shot at greenway trailhead
- CO: Hiring private security to patrol downtown area, parks & greenway
- NC: Charlotte's parks are consistently ranked worst in the country
- MA: Northampton celebrates completion of rail trail underpass
- UK: Pontypool mountain biker killed on own race track
How Bike Lanes Benefit Businesses
"Kenmore Boulevard in Akron, Ohio is in the process of a street redesign which may involve the loss of some on-street parking spots in order to create protected bike lanes..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Don't Park in Bike Lanes
Pittsburgh, PA - "On May 30, the Twitter account for the Pittsburgh Parking Authority issued a warning to drivers: if you park in a bike lane, you will get a ticket..." more
York Earns Bike Friendly Community Award
York, PA - "York, Pennsylvania, was recognized as a Silver Bicycle Friendly Community last week. Craig Walt with the York City Bureau of Public Health talks about how the city achieved its bicycle friendly status." more
Growing Bike Culture in Wheeling
WV - "...The City of Wheeling is all about revitalization and bringing the community together. Bike Wheeling has been all about that, as they incorporate bike riding and community into each event." more
Cyclists Demand Safety Upgrade
NYC - "Cycling advocates gathered on a busy street in Queens on Wednesday night to form a human barrier along a bike lane where a bicyclist died last year." more
PBOT Rolls Out Plans for Bike Lanes
Portland, OR - "PBOT is rolling out a proposal today that will replace parking spaces or lanes for cars with bike paths protected from traffic." more...
Trek Settles Lawsuit with Farley Family
Madison, WI - "Trek Bicycle Corporation and Make Him Smile, Inc. have agreed to settle their lawsuit over Trek's use of the name Farley for one of its fat bike models." more...
- WA: City Council Gears Up to Pass New Bikeshare Legislation
- AL: Tuscaloosa residents complain about dangerous sidewalk conditions
- WI: City leaders are working to make Milwaukee a more bicycle-friendly community
- OR: City releases $8M list of Safe Routes to School projects
- WA: Seattle supports bike share
- UK: Electric bike catches fire at TT paddock
- CO: Rescuers carry 120-pound dog down mountain
- CA: Sea lion gives birth to new pup on California bike trail
- CA: Connecting Tahoe’s bike trails
- IL: Alton-Godfrey Rotary Club hopes to connect local bike trails
- CAN: Upgrades to Chief Peguis Greenway
- AUS: Draft masterplan released for Sydney's newest green corridor
Popular Trail Remains Covered in Grafitti
Dayton, OH - "The trail near the Woodman Bridge is a popular place for people to bike and jog during the summer, but many residents feel the graffiti takes away from what otherwise is a nice place to enjoy the outdoors." more...
Help Shape the Future of Bike Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "Since our beginning just 6 short years ago, Bike Cleveland’s base of supporters, volunteers, members, and partners has grown as Cleveland’s cycling realities have improved. During this period, we have made significant progress towards our goals developed during our organization’s original formation. This success and growth provides an opportunity to examine the future of the organization, specifically considering some of the following “growth questions” that will shape our work..." more
Students Envision 652-Mile Trail
Knoxville, TN - "A group of students and professors from the University of Tennessee are working to make the Tennessee River more accessible." more...
Effort to Remove Utility Poles from Sidewalks
Tampa, FL - "...For more than a year, residents have called for bike lanes and sidewalks free of utility poles." more...
Americans Want Better Transportation Infrastructure
"Last week, Monmouth University released some new polling on Americans’ attitudes towards transportation infrastructure, and who’s responsible for fixing our roads and bridges..." more
- VA: Neighbors split over plan to reduce car lanes, add bike lanes in Ocean View
- FRA: France’s contentious speed-limit reduction
- VT: Trail system receives national recognition
- MO: Cliff Drive connector trail open to the public
- NC: Grants will help purchase land for Thread Trail
- CO: Pilot Program Will Designate Some Foothills Trails As ‘Bike Only’
- IA: What’s new on the central Iowa biking scene
- FL: Last east-west cycling link needs funding
- NY: Rail trail grows in Guilderland
- UK: Hundreds of wildflowers return to Chester Greenway thanks to volunteers
ODNR Seeks Input for Recreation Trail Plan
Columbus, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the Ohio Trails Partnership are requesting feedback to create the state’s next plan for recreational trails of all types throughout Ohio." more...
Hemlock Trail Breaks Ground
Independence, OH - "The city held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Hemlock Creek Trail on Saturday (June 2), which will connect Independence residents and visitors to the Erie Canal Towpath Trail..." more...
Aurora Seeks to Acquire Old Railroad Bed
Aurora, OH - "...Norfolk Southern late last year filed an application with the Surface Transportation Board to abandon 5.5 miles of the line from just north of Treat Road to Chamberlain Road in Mantua Township." more...
Yay Bikes! Leading Rides in Amherst
Amherst, OH - "...On June 4, Amherst became the third Lorain County community in two years to host Yay Bikes!" more...
Man Steals Bike at Knifepoint
Toledo, OH - "A Toledo man was charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon after he allegedly put a knife to another man’s throat and stole his bike." more...
State Street Dressed Up for Ribbon Cutting
Columbus, IN - "...Among improvements that have been made so far as part of the broader State Street Revitalization Project are two green spaces, new sidewalks, a multi-use trail and other features." more...
$11.75M Settlement in Deputy Kills Bicyclist Case
Los Angeles, CA - "The family of a man who was struck and killed by a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy who was texting at the time of the collision will receive $11.75 million." more...
Several Pedestrians Struck by Drivers in Charlotte
NC - "Busy roads aren't stopping people from crossing Charlotte streets." more...
Residents Say They Were Duped by Mayor on Bike Lane Issue
Seattle, WA - "A coalition of thousands of Seattle business owners and residents slammed Mayor Jenny Durkan’s office for 'duping' them into thinking she’d hear their concerns before moving forward with an expensive, onerous, and unpopular bike lane." more...
Redesign the Streets & Save San Fran
CA - "The scooters have disappeared from San Francisco." more...
- NYC: Citi Bike’s top riders honored for fifth anniversary
- OR: Right-hook injures bike rider at NW Broadway and Hoyt. Again.
- IA: Authorities identify man who died after crashing bicycle
- MD: At least 16 bicycles collide in Montgomery County
- WI:Judge agrees to transfer Farley lawsuit against Trek to Wisconsin court
- CA: Campaign to support Charlie Kelly's mountain bike history archive
- LVA: New 120 km bike trail follows meanders of River Daugava
- CAN: Mountain biker injured by trail sabotage in Toronto’s Don Valley
- TN: Mary Vestal Greenway extension opens in South Knoxville
Kent Adds FixIt Station & Water Stop
Kent, OH - "...The Fixit bike repair station is located at the sandstone seating area under the Haymaker Bridge on Franklin Avenue..." more
Merrillville Monitors Vandalism along Trail
IN - "...Lighting in the tunnel under Interstate 65 has been damaged twice..." more
Mecklenburg Falls Short on Greenway Miles Goal
NC - "A decade ago, Mecklenburg County parks officials set an ambitious goal meant to satisfy the county's legions of walkers and bikers: 129 miles of greenway trails to be built by 2018." more...
Most Americans Fear Driverless Cars
"A lot of Americans are fearful of autonomous cars, but 33% are at least somewhat likely to buy one once they are available..." more
Vision Zero Remains a Punchline in Toronto
CAN - "City introduces a "Vision Zero Challenge" hackathon instead of actually implementing Vision Zero strategies." more...
- AR: Mountain biking trail in works at Pea Ridge
- VT: Burlington Bike Path phase 2 mostly complete
- TN: Heavy rainfall takes its toll on trails
Lebanon Bike Park Opens
Lebanon, OH - "...The park is one of a kind for the area and has two pump tracks, jumping hills, a skills area, gravel and wooded trails and even a cross country course..." more
E-Bikes on Michigan Trails
Detroit, MI - "...A new state law says trail managers and oversight boards can either allow electric bikes to glide alongside regular hikers and bikers or they can hold public hearings to vote on the issue." more...
Golden Spoke Ride to Christen Longest Trail
Salt Lake City, UT - "...It’s the dedication of the Golden Spoke Trail, a paved trail system more than 100 miles long connecting Utah from Ogden to Provo." more...
Actor Saves Cyclist from Attack
UK - "British actor Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, confronted several men who allegedly tried to rob a food delivery man in London." more...
- UT: Local volunteers happy to pitch in on Bjoor bike trail
- AZ: Prescott’s become more bike-friendly over the past few years
- UK: People urged to have their say on proposed North Leeds greenway
Easements Approved for LMST Connection
Cincinnati, OH - "Cincinnati Planning Commission approves easement for @great_parks to build a connection over the Little Miami River using the existing Beechmont Ave bridge which will connect Lunken Trail with Loveland Trail..." more
Finishing Central Parkway's Bike Lane
Cincinnati, OH - "The protected bike lane on Central Parkway -- perennially a point of controversy among city leaders -- continued to stir drama at City Hall this week." more...
Nickel Plate Greenway gets Go-Ahead
IN - "...The May 29 decision allows the cities to build the 9-mile, $9 million trail from Noblesville to Fishers..." more
Lakefront Trail Separation Almost Complete
Chicago, IL - "...Construction work to create separate paths for cyclists and pedestrians on the Lakefront Trail — all 18 miles of it — is expected to be completed by the end of the year." more...
Complete Streets Volunteers Resign En Mass
Phoenix, AZ - "Seven members of Phoenix’s Complete Streets Advisory Board resigned in disgust this week, frustrated by the lack of action from city officials to make streets safer for walking and biking." more...
Lyft to Buy Bike-Share Company
"Lyft, the ride-hailing app, has agreed to buy one of the biggest bike-share operators in the US, according to a report on Friday." more...
- CA: ORAC votes in favor of multi-use trail recommendation
- NJ: Essex-Hudson Greenway to align with 9/11 National Memorial Trail
- TN: City of Knoxville proposes adding bike lanes to section of Broadway
- OR: PBOT has sent five companies letter of intent to join dockless e-scooter pilot
- CA: The Importance of Good Data in Achieving Vision Zero
Metroparks Rolls out Mini-Bus on Towpath Trail
Lighting Up the Towpath in Akron
Man Assaulted, Wounded on Bike Trail
Beckley, WV - "...The victim was taken to Raleigh General Hospital and had to be taken into emergency surgery due to the severity of his injuries." more...
Wilson's Creek Greenway Trail gets National Recognition
MO - "The 5-mile Wilson's Creek greenway Trail in southwest Springfield has been designated a National Recreation Trail." more...
Could Electric Bike Pods be the Next Big Thing?
"In the midst of new sharing ventures from dockless bikes to electric scooters, a Canadian startup company plans to enter the sharing fray with a new type of vehicle: the velomobile." more...
Time to Stop Arguing About Helmets
"Every year about this time when the weather gets warm, peoples' thoughts turn to complaining about bike helmets..." more
- MO: Trolley vs. bikes
- OR: PSU looks to improve campus safety following sidewalk crash
- OR: Portland developer opens first privately sponsored Biketown station
- NY: Shoreline Trail project gets underway on former Bethlehem Steel grounds
- IL: Cary parks receives $1.1 million state grant for bike trail
- IL: A 'hole' lot of problems for Morton bike trail
- MD: Berlin Bike Path Effort Moves Forward
- NY: Old Bethlehem rails to become bike/pedestrian trail
- NC: Homeless man's body found in greenway tunnel
- IRE: New Greenway loops in County Limerick
Upcoming Construction for Hemlock Creek Trail
Independence, OH - "...The Hemlock Creek Trail is the latest addition to a growing network of trails that users can travel from Tuscarawas County all the way up to Cleveland’s lakefront..." more
Future Metropark gets Name
Toledo, OH - "...the future Metropark’s opening date hasn’t been determined yet. But she said the park district hopes to have it ready for people to start hiking there sometime this fall." more...
Poor Bikeway Design in NYC
Bicycle Friendly Community Program Reaches 450 Communities
"Today, to close out National Bike Month, the League of American Bicyclists is awarding 41 new and renewing Bicycle Friendly Communities (BFCs). Fourteen communities are receiving Honorable Mentions. With today’s announcement, there are now 450 BFCs in all 50 states and the District of Columbia." more...
Wires Strung Across Cycle Trail... Again
UK - "A cyclist riding with his family fell off his bike and hit his head on a rock after wires were strung across a cycle trail in a country park near the New Forest..." more
- OR: Activism Following Horrific Hit-and-Run
- NC: Parts of Greenway closed due to high waters
- TX: Salado Creek Greenway designated as national recreation trail
- IRE: Connemara Greenway opens
- IL: Decatur Park District unveils Nelson Park mountain bike trail
- TX: Sherman accepts 9 acres for public trail system
- IL: Electric bikes poised to make inroads in the Southland
Slip Closes St. Clairsville Bike Trail
St. Clairsville, OH - "St. Clairsville’s bicycle trail was closed during the weekend and Memorial Day after Saturday’s heavy rainfall made a bad situation worse and sent mud and debris to block the northern side of the trail." more...
Missing Woman Went for Trail Ride
Hamilton Twp., OH - "Police are looking for a 71-year-old Hamilton Township woman who went missing Tuesday afternoon after going on a bike ride." more...
Knox County Parks Trail News
Knox County, OH - "...The Mohican Valley Trail will soon be resurfaced from the Bridge of Dreams to the Holmes County line.
"...Soon the last section of trail will be cleared from Huffman Road to the Knox/Licking County line on the Heart of Ohio trail. To volunteer for this project contact Lori Totman at firstname.lastname@example.org" more...
Where Do Cyclists Go When Construction Closes Bike Lanes & Trails?
Pittsburgh, PA - "Sometimes Pittsburgh feels like one contiguous construction zone..." more
Bikes/Peds get Drive Thru Access... Kinda
Portland, OR - "...You’ll note that the new code only applies when main doors and entrances are closed..." more
Cyclists Confront Drivers for Parking in Bike Lanes
Nashville, TN - "Cyclists took matters into their own hands on Thursday to spread awareness about cars parking in bike lanes on heavily trafficked streets." more...
Fire Departments Role in Safe Street Design
"If you’ve ever made the case for a traffic calming project in your city, odds are you’ve butted heads with your local fire department." more...
Bicycle Exports Show Mixed Picture of Industry's Growth
Taipei, Taiwan - "Taiwanese bicycle exports for the first four months of the year offer a mixed picture on the state of the industry — while e-bike exports posted healthy growth, exports of conventional bicycles continued to decline." more...
- TX: What Dallas Can Do To Address Pedestrian Deaths
- TN: University of Memphis starts building soaring $33M pedestrian bridge
- AZ: Spin bike share attracts 1,500 users in first month in Flagstaff
- OR: Eugene bike share booming
- CAN: Pedestrian advocates critique Calgary’s traffic-calming approach
- SC: Police bike patrols to be added to keep West Ashley Greenway safe
- GA: Follow Me Trail plagued with another delay on bridge
- TN: How safe are Knoxville's greenways?
- NC: Durham Wants to Turn a Defunct Rail Line Into an Urban Greenway
- CA: New Mission Valley Bike Lane Causing Confusion
Businesses Balk at Towpath Construction
Cleveland, OH - "Several business owners say a long-awaited extension of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cleveland will severely impact their bottom line and lead to dangerous driving conditions on busy Jennings Road." more...
Tri-State Trail Progress
Cincinnati, OH - "It has been a big year for bike trails in Greater Cincinnati, with several major updates to big projects in Hamilton County and Northern Kentucky." more...
Staying Safe on the Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "I’ve been riding the Olentangy multi-use path a lot lately, and have noticed that way too many of my fellow cyclists do a lot of rude, dumb and downright dangerous things out there..." more
Michigan Debating E-Bike Use
MI - "...While e-bikes are catching on with many aging Americans, some trail buffs and park bosses want to put the brakes on their use on the hundreds of miles of trails that have been traditionally designated as non-motorized." more
Hudson River Greenway Safety Questioned
NYC - "...there’s a danger that the greenway will sort of be barricaded into submission and will be unusable or unacceptably dangerous for everyday users..." more
Road Signs Hacked to Deride Cyclists
NC - "Gene Caffrey was riding his bike along Old US-1 near Moncure during the weekend when something stopped him..." more
Cities Seek to Emulate NYC's Highline
NYC - "...Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, London and New York's capital of Albany are among the cities with High Line-style projects completed or in the planning stages..." more
E-Biker Clocked at 98 kmh
SWE - "Police in Sweden have stopped a man after clocking him riding an electric bicycle at a speed of just under 100 kilometres an hour (62mph)." more...
- MA: Trash found near bike paths disheartening
- CAN: Whitehorse eyes better bike lanes
- CA: City awarded $15M for bike path
- CAN: First Smithers-Telkwa trail phase presented soon
- SC: Man faces charges after allegedly assaulting two people on West Ashley Greenway
- CA: Drought endangers newly planted trees in Santa Fe
The Abandoned Overpass in Downtown Columbus
Columbus, OH - "... if you walk just north along the bike path by the water tower, the park turns from a peaceful trail with chirping birds to something a little more eerie..." more
2 Killed in Crash Involving Motorcycles, Bike
Indianapolis, IN - "Two people are dead after four motorcycles and a bicycle crashed on the south side of Indianapolis." more...
Body Discovered Near Gary Bike Path
Gary, IN - "The Lake County Sheriff is investigating a gruesome discovery along a bike trail in Gary, Indiana." more...
E-Bike Batteries Appear to Have Started House Fire
Yonkers, NY - "Two people trapped in a burning home in Yonkers were pulled to safety... and it appears an electric bike battery may have sparked the fire." more...
E-MT Bikes are Turning Scoffs into Smiles
"...If some of the most devoted mountain bike traditionalists can be convinced of its benefits, then there needs to be a different discussion about how to embrace the electric mountain biking industry..." more
Cyclist Killed in Troy
Troy, OH - "...According to Miami County dispatch, a person on a bike was hit and killed by a car in front of the O'Reilly's Auto Parts store." more...
Bike Park May be First of its Kind
Lebanon, OH - "...The grand opening for the 45-acre park, built atop a closed landfill, is scheduled for Saturday, June 2." more...
Parklands Silo Center Bike Park Reopens Today
Louisville, Ky - "...The Bike Park is the newest addition to the Parklands. The park debuted in the fall before closing during the winter months." more...
A Vision for Connected Bike Paths
NY - "...Possibly the most unique aspect of the plan would be motorized bicycle ferries that would connect areas of the path separated by water..." more
- CT: Hop River Trail's Railroad Bridge Will Soon Get New Life
- OR: Injured cyclist rescued on trail west of Bend
- NC: Island Greenway Project begins construction on Pleasure Island
Bicycling Teen Struck by Car
Dayton, OH - "The teenager was riding a bike and reportedly collided with the car on Heaton Avenue..." more
Delaware County Offering Trail Grants
Delaware County, OH - "...As part of the county's Trail Assistance Program, a trails committee will review applications and offer communities a portion of $100,000 in grant funds..." more
When Do Peds Have the Right of Way?
Harrisburg, PA - "According to data released by the Harrisburg Bureau of Police, there have been 33 pedestrian accidents in the city since 2016. Four of those were fatal." more...
Officers Issuing $250 Fines to Cyclists During Fleet Week
NYC - "...This rule is implemented every year during Fleet Week to ensure the safety of pedestrians. Signs have been put up instructing cyclists to dismount their bikes for the stretch that is closed." more...
Effort to Connect 2 Popular Iowa Trails
IA - "Two of central Iowa’s most popular bicycle trails are another step closer to being joined into what one backer calls a 'mega-trail.'" more...
What Happened in Tempe?
"The National Transportation Safety Bureau (NTSB), the nation’s preeminent traffic safety agency, released its preliminary finding on the Uber automated vehicle crash in Tempe which killed a pedestrian walking her bicycle. What they found..." more...
The Recreation, Not Red Tape Act
D.C. - "PeopleForBikes led a group of 12 industry leaders to Capitol Hill this week in support of the Recreation Not Red Tape Act. which aims to improve and break down the barriers to recreational riding opportunities on public lands." more...
Scooters Having Interesting Effect in Downtown Atlanta
GA - "...When people ride them in car lanes (as they should - please stay off sidewalks unless they’re very wide ones), I’ve observed that they seem to be causing a disruption to the system..." more...
- NH: Suspected rabid coyote killed after reports of stalking
- FL: Bike path to connect county's major cycling communities
- CAN: Kamloops physiotherapy clinic announces longterm funding for bike trails
- MN: New trail section connects Silver Bay, Beaver Bay
- ESP: Madrid to Reduce Car Traffic in Its City Center
- FL: One day after fatal accident, Tampa moves to lower speed limit on Bayshore Blvd
- NY: Cities pass rules to make roads safer
- OR: Driver injures 3 women in PSU campus hit-skip
Dayton Receives Doppelt Trail Grant
Dayton, OH - "...The city of Dayton was awarded $15,000, for a federal funding match for the acquisition of a former rail corridor to eventually be home to a new trail, The Flight Line." more...
Signs Warn Cyclists, Skaters of New Policy
Athens, OH - "...The 'Walk your Wheels' campaign began in January, and residents already may have noticed the 62 blue “Walk Your Wheels” disks embedded in the sidewalks along Court Street..." more
Mayor Discovers Bike Trail Graffiti
Hammond, IN - "A blown bike tire for the mayor of a northwestern Indiana city ended up leading to the discovery and swift removal of a collection of crude graffiti." more...
L.A. Debating Rules for Scooters & Bike Share
CA - "With electric scooters and short-term bicycle rentals continuing to flood the Westside, Los Angeles city officials have begun to discuss how to regulate the transportation companies to minimize cluttered sidewalks and ensure rider safety." more...
Petitioners Want 'Great Streets' Pilot Project to Remain
Memphis, TN - "...Now that the 12-month pilot phase is wrapping up, the city plans to remove the bike lanes and promenade, while keeping striped pedestrian bump-outs and shared lanes for bikes..." more
How Uber’s Self-Driving System Failed
"...Six seconds before striking Herzberg, the system detected her but didn’t identify her as a person..." more
How Cities are Coping with Scooter/Bike Share Craze
"Profit-motivated mobility startups can’t be trusted to regulate themselves." more...
EC Proposes E-Bike Insurance Law
Europe - "The European Commission has today decided that e-bike riders without motor vehicles third-party liability insurance are riding illegally..." more
- AZ: Phoenix Dithers on Traffic Safety
- FL: West Palm green-lights all-options-open plan for transportation
- LA: Phase two of Shreveport bike lane project is underway
- OR: Bend cyclists say bike lanes have become an obstacle course
- OR: Mayor Wheeler moves permanent Better Naito talks forward
- VA: Large hole closes portion of Creekside Trail in Lynchburg
- WI: Armed man fatally shot by police on park trail
- WA: Local mayors head to Copenhagen for help with bike trail design
- WI: Kenosha investigators release description of vehicle tied to bike trail sex assault
- CAN: New bike trail opens
- FL: Commission gets things rolling in bike path for Fort Island Trail
- NY: ADK Land Trust buys Wilmington land for mtn biking
- TX: New ‘mini-boardwalk’ opens
- NY: New Paltz section of the River-to-Ridge Trail is now open
High Mill Bridge Connector Dedication
Bike Share Now Available in Akron & Barberton
Summit County, OH - "Summit Bike Share is a free bicycle share program, available at 10 locations within Summit County; seven locations in downtown Akron and three in downtown Barberton..." more
Maple Highlands Trail Volunteer Bike Patrol
Geauga County, OH - "Along The Maple Highlands Trail, now stretching more than 21 miles across the entirety of Geauga County, riders may very likely encounter someone riding along in a heather gray athletic shirt sporting a yellow biking logo on the back..." more
West Chester Seeking Federal Trail Funds
West Chester Twp., OH - "Whether or not West Chester Twp. residents see a Smith Road bike path connector in the future will depend on whether the township is successful in its pursuit of federal grant money." more
Do You Leave Enough Space for Cyclists?
Dayton, OH - "There is a new state law in Ohio that you probably don't know about but if you drive a car or ride a bicycle on Ohio roads it applies to you." more...
ODOT Transportation Survey
Take the survey.
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Contractors Help at Bike Accident Scene
Dover Twp., PA - "...The deputy chief said the girl had gone off her bike and into the woods..." more
High Schoolers Pull Senior Prank Using Bike-Share Program
IL - "...The seniors at East High School in Rockford, Illinois decided to go a different route with their prank this year, using a local dockless bike-share program to sow a little wholesome chaos..." more
What Caused Washington’s Cougar Attack
"The experts' take on what happened last Saturday when a mountain lion killed one cyclist and injured another outside of Seattle." more...
Driver Pleads Guilty to Striking Cyclist
"Marshall Neely III, who was caught on video hitting Tyler Noe with his car and then fleeing the scene, will serve up to 10 months in jail." more...
- OR: Portland’s new protected bike lane design guide
- AL: Council approves $5,000 for bike trail study
- IL: New bike routes coming to Edgewater
- TX: Public input high in Longview-area walk, bike plan
- LA: Lafitte Greenway trail extension campaign
- IRE: Cyclists on Greenway a danger to pedestrians
Property Owners Mobilize Against Proposed Trail
Solon, OH - "...Solon Mayor Ed Kraus, a staunch supporter of the trail, said he 'absolutely' understands the concerns of residents. Solon's City Council will decide if the proposed trail will be constructed." more...
Downed Wires Close Bike Trail
Canfield, OH - "Tree branches fell on wires in Canfield, causing a spark and small fire Tuesday morning." more...
Final link in Ohio River Greenway to be Completed
IN - "The last link in a seven-mile trail that will connect Jeffersonville, Clarksville and New Albany is expected to be finished this year." more...
Failed Culvert Shuts Down Portion of White Pine Trail
Osceola County, MI - "...The DNR said the culvert failure was caused by significant trail erosion and that the area is unsafe for travel." more...
Detroit's Bike Lanes Debate
MI - "...Despite all this seemingly positive news, bike lanes have become a lively topic of debate in Detroit of late, with the city holding a series of community meetings to gather feedback on how best to go forward with them..." more
2nd Sexual Assault on Kenosha Bike Trail
Kenosha, WI - "...Authorities believe the incident may be connected to a similar incident in March." more...
2 Right-Hook Injuries in 2 Weeks
Portland, OR - "...“In the past two weeks we have confirmed at least two serious injury right-hooks at Broadway and Hoyt." more...
Cyclist Encounters Angry Moose on Bike Trail
Anchorage, AK - "A reporter captured the moment a moose protecting its two young calves lunged at a cyclist on a bike trail in Anchorage on Tuesday." more...
How Bike Lane Costs Skyrocketed in Seattle
WA - "...At present rates, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) says it might be able to afford only half the 50 miles of bike lanes promised in the Move Seattle levy approved by voters in 2015." more...
Doppelt Grants Go to 10 Trail Projects
"...Since 2015, RTC’s Doppelt Fund has awarded nearly a half-million dollars in grants to nonprofits and government agencies working to develop and improve multiuse trails." more...
- CA: Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite's Half Dome trail
- MN: Minnetonka debuts Lone Lake Park mountain bike trail drafts
- NY: The Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail is set to get a new paved section this summer
- IRE: Code of conduct signs to make Cork greenway safer
- UK: £400k match funding for new greenway and linear park
- NY: Surveillance videos captures moments before deadly North Tonawanda bike crash
- NYC: 7-year-old boy struck by illegal motorized bike
- MD: Man charged with assault at bike lane meeting
- HI: Honolulu removing crosswalks
- TN: Bike share launching Wednesday in areas including South Memphis
- VA: Richmond's rough first few days with 'floating parking'
New Bridge Connects Trails
Galena, OH - "...The new bike/pedestrian bridge spans the spillway of the [Alum Creek] dam, connecting the trails of Alum Creek to the Orange Township Trail System." more...
Greenway Phase 2 Construction Begins
Petoskey, MI - "Construction on the second phase of Petoskey’s Downtown Greenway corridor project began Monday morning..." more
Special Bikes Available on Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
Scranton, PA - "A new addition to a rideshare program in Lackawanna County allows handicapped bicyclists to use expensive hand cycles for free." more
Bike Commuter Beaten While Riding Through Homeless Camp
CA - "A bicycle commuter riding Tuesday along the Joe Rodota Trail was assaulted as he passed through a homeless camp on the popular bike and pedestrian path connecting Santa Rosa to Sebastopol." more...
Reports of Aggressive Coyotes
AZ - "The Arizona Game and Fish Department is warning cyclists who ride on The Loop path to be aware of one or more aggressive coyotes." more...
Beltline Bike Path Opens
OR - "...The bike path opened for use a few weeks ago. It extends an existing bike path along I-5 that ODOT completed a several years ago." more...
Tesla Driver Crashes, Says Autopilot Was On
"The driver of a Tesla electric car had the vehicle's semi-autonomous Autopilot mode engaged when she slammed into the back of a Utah fire truck..." more...
Bird Scooters are Ruining Venice
CA - "...Although I would like to avoid them, I have no choice but to consider them because I live in Venice, which is where the first Bird hatched and where the flock is thickest..." more...
Introduction of Wilderness Bill in US Senate
D.C. - "The Sustainable Trails Coalition has thanked Utah's Sen. Mike Lee's introduction of a revised version of his 2016 Human-Powered Travel in Wilderness Areas Act. The act would allow local managers to decide if mountain bikes should be allowed in federal Wilderness areas. Similar legislation is now pending in the U.S. House." more...
Optimizing Dockless Bikeshare for Cities
"New technologies and innovative business models have transformed the bikeshare landscape." more...
Distracted Pedestrians & Traffic Safety
"Vision Zero requires increased attention to the safety and behavior of all road users." more...
- TX: Pedestrians often faulted for getting hit
- TX: A Look at Where San Antonio’s Pedestrian Fatalities Occur
- NYC: Downtown Alliance Calls for a Pedestrianized Financial District
- NLD: Brabants first speedometer with reward
- OR: Oregon’s new bike tax
- OR: NW Portland crash victim’s son speaks out
- WA: Cougar attack victims worked to promote cycling
- CO: Lakewood man warns against bicycle path fishing line prank
- NY: $50M Upgrades for Long Island State Parks
- NC: Gaffney BPW awarded $150,000 grant for Thread Trail project
- MO: St. Louis to transform abandoned landscape into a vibrant new greenway
- ID: Route of the Hiawatha bike trail opens Saturday
- WI: Police investigating sexual assault on Kenosha County Bike Trail
Hit-and-Run Driver Turns Himself In
Miami Twp., OH - "A Loveland man is being held on $50,000 bond and a child is in a coma at Children's Hospital following a Tuesday night crash..." more
Protected Bike Lanes will be Test for Detroit
MI - "Detroit’s experiment with non-motorized transit is being put to its biggest test yet with the remaking of East Jefferson Avenue." more...
Woman Found Dead Near Conner Creek Greenway
Detroit, MI - "Detroit police working to learn the identity of a woman found lying face down on a bike path on the city's east side." more...
Ground Broken on Back Mountain Trail Loop
Logan, PA - "Ground has been broken for the Judy and David Rimple Loop Trail that eventually will connect to the Back Mountain Trail in Dallas." more...
Man Shot, Killed while Riding Bike
Logan, PA - "A 21-year-old man was shot and killed while riding his bicycle in North Philadelphia, police say." more...
RTC President Stepping Down
"...all good things must come to an end. I will be stepping down as RTC president in February 2019." more...
Toronto Still Waiting for Year of the Bicycle
CAN - "...43 years later, Torontonians are still waiting for a bicycle-friendly city." more...
- NM: Albuquerque activists want safer streets
- CO: Arrest made in stolen mountain bike
- WA: Cougar that attacked cyclists was underweight
- NY: Spa City to paint in more bike lanes
- NJ: Montclair-To-Jersey City Bike Path Would Be Part Of 9/11 Trail
- AK: Moose kill by bears close Potter Creek Trail
Cuyahoga County Seeks Feedback on Greenway Plan
Cleveland, OH - "...Planners will unveil specific routes showing how a web of greenways could better connect the county's 59 communities to each other, to downtown and the Cuyahoga Valley and the lakefront..." more
Boardwalks Dot Area for Hiking, Sightseeing
Toledo, OH - "Boardwalks in the greater Toledo area will likely get plenty of foot traffic as the weather continues to warm up." more...
Cougar Kills Mountain Biker, Mauls Another
North Bend, WA - "...the two men were collecting themselves and getting ready to leave -- after the initial encounter -- the cougar returned and pounced on one man." more...
- VT: Burlington Greenway re-opens, ready for Marathon
- IRE: Funding approved to complete £440,000 Clooney Greenway
- IND: MMRDA to connect tourist sites via greenways
Vandals Graffiti Xenia Station Caboose
Toledo Doubles-Down on Sidewalk Repair
Toledo, OH - "...They have more than doubled what they are spending on fixing these sidewalks this year..." more
Ped Bridge Installed on Licking Greenway
Covington, KY - "A metal pedestrian bridge was lowered gently into its position on the Licking River floodwall on Friday, creating a link to a trail being built in Covington." more...