2019 News Archive
Links are not maintained in the Archive.
Tree Trimming & Brush Clearing on B&O Trail
Lexington, OH - "Trail Alert! Asplundh Tree will be on the Trail south of Lexington and on toward Bellville clearing utility line easements the next few days. If you roll up on them, please slow down and walk your bike..." more
Break- In at Franklinton Cycle Works
Columbus, OH - "Saddened to see that Franklinton Cycle Works building was broken into. Two bikes and their cash drawer were stolen." more
Building Sidewalks in Bloomington
IN - "Sidewalks are being built in a number of spring construction projects around Bloomington. Meanwhile, there are some sidewalks that lead to nowhere." more
Q&A with Mandatory Protected Bike Lane Mayor
"...The Boston-area city of Cambridge just passed the “Cycling Safety Ordinance,” which requires the city of 115,000 to install barrier-protected bike lanes whenever a street is upgraded..." more
Cyclist Struck, Killed on Way to Bike Race
AUS - "...According to reports, the driver had been traveling in the opposite direction and struck Drapac head-on..." more
- WA: Lime to hit the streets again. No sidewalks, please
- OR: 6-year-old injured by driver while walking across SE Division
- MN: Multi-year bike trail closures in Hopkins, St. Louis Park and Minneapolis
- AR: Northwest Arkansas bike trail has expanded
- TX: Here’s a Closer Look at Downtown’s Drake Bridge Commons Project
- TN: Police identify man wanted for vehicle burglary at Clarksville Greenway
- NY: East Village Parents Push For Protected Bike Lane
- TX: Houston Powers Ahead on Bike Lanes
- CAN: How many cyclists are using Victoria's bike lanes?
- CA: LA’s first two-way bike lane opens in Downtown
- NZL: Cyclists organise another people-protected cycle lane
Funding Sought for Next Towpath Section
New Philadelphia, OH - "Commissioners have authorized an application for federal Transportation Alternative Program (TAP) funds for construction of an additional 4 miles of the Ohio & Erie Towpath Traill from state Route 800 to state Route 416." more
Berkley is Giving Coolidge a 'Road Diet'
MI - "...The plan is to change that to one lane of traffic in each direction, a continuous left turn lane, add parking and a bike lane." more
Lawsuit Filed Against NYPD
NY - "The city’s police department is going against its own rules in cracking down on illegal e-bikes popular among delivery workers, according to a new lawsuit filed Monday." more
Fort Worth Deploys New Fleet of Electric-Assist Bikes
TX - "...The electric-assist bicycles have sensors that detect when the rider needs an extra push to get up a steep hill or get moving faster." more
Camper Left on Pedestrian Overpass
OR - "...Portland police discovered a camper Sunday morning stuck along a pedestrian and bike overpass high above Interstate 205 in the Lents neighborhood." more
What Went Wrong with Bike Share E-Bikes Brakes?
"...Officially, the cause of the problem remains a mystery..." more
- OR: Bike shop burglar suspected in fatal hit-and-run
- CA: Train advocates file lawsuit to halt new bike trail
- MO: Restriction on local governments' power creeps into Missouri House bill
- AL: New stretch of rail trail in Gardendale
- NY: Governor Designates $756K For New Hampton Bays Bike Trails
- MD: Protesters Plea With City Leaders To Put Off Removing Roland Park Bike Lanes
- D.C.: Reinstalled flexposts are a joke
- NYC: Citi Bike Rider Expected To Lose Leg Following Crash In Hudson Yards
Hermitage, PennDOT to Display Bike Lane Plans
Oil City, PA - "...Bike lanes, upgraded signs, pavement markings, and ADA curb ramps are included in the plan." more
How the Bike Share Startups Fell Over
"They were awful to ride and were the result of an even more toxic start-up culture in China." more
Family Sues 3 Cities in Bicyclist's Death
CA - "The family of a bicyclist who was fatally hit by a garbage truck in Sunnyvale has named the cities of Palo Alto and Mountain View in a lawsuit, claiming that those cities are partially at fault..." more
- CAN: Downtown bike paths will benefit cyclists, drivers
- MA: Update planned on bike trail extension in Bourne
- NZL: Te Aroha to Matamata rail trail construction continues
- CAN: Victoria Park bike lane opens May 1
- FL: Juice Bike Share lives again as HOPR
- NY: Hudson Valley projects focused on peds, bicyclists, traffic receive $7.8M
- GA: East Decatur Greenway path close to completion
- MO: Old Chain of Rocks Bridge will soon reopen to foot and bike traffic
Bike Club Committed to Trail Work and Riding
Ohiopyle, PA - "...Today, OBC has 35 to 40 members, who meet for work parties and ride weekly as weather permits." more
Closing Washington County Trail Gaps
NY - "...Trails are taking precedence in New York’s tourism industry, and with the 750-mile Empire State Trail scheduled to be done by 2020, the boost has benefited Washington and Saratoga counties..." more
Ribbon Cutting for New Wolf River Greenway Trail
TN - "...The newest area includes two pedestrian bridges, picnic tables, and views of a 25-acre lake." more
Latest Cyclist Crash Prompts Call for Action
MN - "...Minneapolis Police say a cyclist and the truck were both heading northbound on Third Avenue South when the cyclist was hit as the truck turned right." more
Province Develops E-Bike Policy
CAN - "Unless otherwise restricted, electric bikes will be allowed on trails, according to the new policy, providing riders with access to many of the 600 trails managed by Recreation Sites and Trails B.C..." more
- MA: We see how far Cambridge goes on protected bike lanes
- VA: Cut-Through Traffic Called Dangerous in Alexandria
- IL: Divvy Bike Share Will Expand E-Bike Services Throughout Chicago
- NJ: Longtime owner of Liberty Cycles dies at 56
Cuyahoga Greenways Plan
Cleveland, OH - "...The project design... maps out an 815-mile web across the county, which includes 122 miles of existing trails, 47 miles of proposed trails and 121 miles of proposed on-street bikeways, connecting to the Towpath, or the Cleveland Metroparks." more
Delaware County Trails Selected for Funding
OH - "...The trail projects are located in Shawnee Hills, Berkshire Township, and jointly in the city of Delaware and Liberty Township. The Delaware County Board of Commissioners awarded these projects a total of $78,997.50." more
Protected Bike Lanes Could Increase Biking in Cleveland
OH - "...They’re not much of a reality in Cleveland, but planners say it could be incorporated into the Cuyahoga Greenways plan..." more
Ribbon Cutting for 38-Mile Trail Network
Omaha, NE - "...Bike Omaha Network says the trails feature more than 600 'wayfinding signs at over 400 locations throughout the city'." more
Cyclists Take Over D.C. Streets to Demand Safety
D.C. - "...On Friday, hundreds of people who get around by bicycle marched on City Hall, and spilled into the streets nearby, in a powerful protest..." more
The Red Cup Movement has Begun
U.S. - "...Bike advocates around the country are using the red Solo cups to demonstrate the need for better bike lanes that actually protect cyclists by physically separating them from traffic." more
Pro Rider Jeff Lenosky has $30K of Property Stolen from Van
CA - "...Two REEB bikes, computers, cameras, hard drives and personal and professional data were taken..." more
Bike Share and Scooter Trips Doubled
U.S. - "...approximately 84 million micromobility trips were taken in 2018." more
- NY: City abandons plan to roll out dockless bike share program in Coney Island
- NY: $2.9M awarded for local bike trail connections
- AL: New bike trail unveiled at Chisholm Boys & Girls Club
- NY: Expansive new bike trail at Jones Beach open for the season
- TN: Sevierville motorcyclist arrested after riding on greenway
- IRE: Athlone greenway behaviour concerns
- NY: State Pledges $5M For New Roosevelt Island Bike Lane
- UK: Biggest Pedal on Parliament yet will see 20 protests across Scotland
- GA: Work starts on extended path that could link to Atlanta Beltline
- OR: TriMet’s new buses come with three-bike front racks
Greenway to Link Berea Library, Coe Lake
Berea, OH - "Anyone who has visited the Cuyahoga County Library’s Berea Branch recently, has no doubt taken note of the men and machines hard at work, rejuvenating the adjacent parking area." more
Governor Endorses Hands-Free Law
OH - "Major changes could be coming to the roads, as Ohio's governor looks to get tougher on distracted driving." more...
Transforming Shaker Square
Cleveland, OH - " Planners are now firmly in favor of re-routing Shaker Boulevard traffic around Shaker Square so its central green space can be enlarged." more...
Dockless Bikes are Coming to Philly
Philadelphia, PA - "The city is moving forward with a one-neighborhood pilot plan for dockless bikes — and expanding its existing e-bike fleet." more
$14.6M to NYC for Bike/Ped Lane Improvements
NY - "...will support the construction of ADA accessible sidewalks, improved access to public transportation, and new multi-use bicycle and pedestrian facilities." more
BPSA to Merge with PeopleForBikes
CO - "The final hurdle has been crossed — a majority of the members of the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association have voted to approve their organization's merger with PeopleForBikes." more
The Curious Tale of the St. Louis Street Barriers
MO - "...The signature barriers on public streets in St. Louis are sections of large concrete pipe—known locally as 'Schoemehl pots,' for former St. Louis Mayor Vincent Schoemehl, who was a fan of street closures..." more
People Miss E-Bikes when They are Taken Away
".. after bike shares across the country removed their new electric bikes over safety concerns, people really want them back–especially in hilly San Francisco." more
Record Year for Cycle Counters
UK - "New superhighways and better networks are helping cycle lane usage boom across the UK." more
- CA: 2-Way Bike Lane Coming To Downtown LA
- OR: 2 years after cyclist killed in downtown, bike lane bill passes House
- NY: Grand Street redux: City to finish, extend halted Williamsburg bike lanes
- NY: Dryden Rail Trail project gets $1.5 million award
- TN: Knoxville police roll out more security along Ten Mile Creek Greenway
- NC: Scout completes city kiosk project
- TX: Houston’s booming bike-share system is reshaping a car-centric city
- D.C.: Brake Issues Prompt Capital Bikeshare E-Bike Recall
- OR: Cycling advocates hold memorial for bicyclist struck and killed in NE Portland
- CA: More people are dying on L.A.’s streets despite a push to eliminate fatalities
- MA: Mattapoisett breaks ground for bike and walking path
Norwalk Trail Connection Construction
Commissioners Move Forward on Trail Construction
Warren, OH - "Trumbull County commissioners Wednesday approved contracts with two consulting companies to move forward with the fourth and final phase of the Western Reserve Greenway Bike Trail." more...
Green Twp. Commissioners, Residents Against Selling Land for Trail
Green Twp., OH - "...Trustees said they have no plans to sell the proposed township plot, an old train station near the township cemetery, after the MetroParks’ offer came in at less than half of the plot’s appraised value..." more
Kiosk Erected on Cannonball Trail
Liberty Center, OH - "Great day to plant our new kiosk on south fork at trailhead east of Liberty Center..." more
Noblesville Breaks Ground to Extend Riverwalk Trail
IN - "...This portion of the Riverwalk will add 1,530 feet of 8-foot-wide trail from Division Street to Southside Park..." more
Pacers Bikeshare Program Expanding
IN - "...A federal grant will allow for 23 new stations and 275 new bikes to be added this coming summer." more...
New Bike Share Program at ISU
IN - "indiana state university is getting a 'new' bike share program..." more
Effort to Legalize Parking Protected Bike Lanes
PA - "Members of the Pennsylvania State Legislature introduced legislation which would allow for parking-protected bike lanes and pedestrian plazas on state roads throughout the state." more...
How Can Philly Become More Bike Friendly?
Philadelphia, PA - "Biking is one of the most popular modes of transportation in Philly. From getting to work, to just enjoying the outdoors..." more
Expanding Bike Share to Underserved Communities
"...While dockless scooters netted an impressive 38.5 million rides in 2018, docked bike share’s usage also rose, hitting 36.5 million rides." more...
- AZ: Phoenix officials vote against developing plan to eliminate roadway deaths
- TX: New Bike Lanes Taking Shape In Houston
- ITA: Free beer and ice cream for riding your bike
- VA: City to celebrate new bike trail in Morningside Park
- NY: Glens Falls receives $1.1M for new trail connection
- AUS: $10m Budget boost to make Collie a world-class trail adventure town
- VA: County Board Amends, Passes New Bicycle Plan
- CAN: City to showcase alternatives for bicycle lanes on streets
- MD: Baltimore to begin removing buffered Roland Avenue cycle track
Mill Creek Parks Files Lawsuit Against Landowners
Green Twp., OH - "Controversy over a proposed bike trail in Mahoning County has come to a head with several residents in Green Township now being sued by Mill Creek Park in order to make way for the path..." more
Related: Landowners not Willing to Sell for Trail Expansion
Green Twp., OH - "...Representatives of Mill Creek Park want to add another 6.5 miles to their portion of the Great Ohio Lake to River Trail. This would be the third phase of the project and would extend from S. Western Reserve Road to the Columbiana County line." more...
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Former Triathlon Champ Helps Rescue Woman
Philadelphia, PA - "Joe Wentzell didn’t know it at the time, but his ambition to participate in triathlons would play a role in helping save a woman’s life." more...
Trail Extension Open House
PA - "The Indiana County Office of Planning and Development, in conjunction with Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana Borough and White Township, invites members of the community to attend the final plans display for the Indiana Multi-modal Corridor/Hoodlebug Trail Extension on Thursday..." more
Sidewalk Safety a Priority for Jeffersonville
Louisville, KY - "Having safe sidewalks is a huge part of the vision for the future of Jeffersonville..." more
"...two in five bike and scooter users report operating their mobile devices in some way while riding..." more
The Thriving Car-Free German Neighborhood
DEU - "...After 20 years of success, it could be a model for how we design future walkable neighborhoods." more...
- NY: New York selects ‘community grid’ alternative for I-81 in Syracuse
- NYC: Staten Island Gets More Dockless Bike-Share — But Not Bike Lanes
- AZ: What can Phoenix do to improve deadly roads?
- OR: We need more dedicated cycling space in the central city
- WA: Let’s build a better bike movement
- IA: Iowa BIG students help roll out safety videos for e-bike program
- WA: SDOT says now is the time to shape E Union’s 2020 plan for protected bike lanes
- NYC: More Criticism Directed at NYPD Over Bike Confiscations
- GA: Beltline’s Eastside Trail is ‘close to completion’
- VA: Land donation gives hope to expanding region's greenway system
- TN: Suspect wanted for vehicle burglary at Clarksville Greenway
- GA: Smyrna to install multi-use trails, bike park
- GA: Macon-Bibb County will celebrate the newest section of bike trails at Arrowhead Park
2 Safes Found Along Bike Path
Temporary Closures Continue on Simon Kenton Trail
Urbana, OH - "Due to weather and equipment breakage issues, this project was not completed last Friday. Work will continue today, Monday, April 22 and until completed..." more
What's Next with Detroit's Biking Infrastructure?
MI - "...Greenways have become a prominent part of Detroit's landscape in recent years..." more
UM-Dearborn Launches Campus Bike Share Program
MI - "University of Michigan-Dearborn recently launched a new bike share program with Zagster, Inc. that will provide a healthy and convenient way for faculty, staff and students to connect with Dearborn's two downtown areas..." more
Police to Release New Details in Girls' Deaths
Delphi, IN - "...The teenagers' bodies were found in February 2017 in a rugged, wooded area a day after they went hiking near Delphi..." more
Streetscape and Rail Trail Plan Begins
Coopersburg, PA - "Coopersburg Borough launched the initial phase of its comprehensive Streetscape and Rail Trails Plan Monday with a celebratory groundbreaking." more...
It's Time to Greenlight 'Idaho Stop'
"...Let’s be honest here: There is nothing 'bike friendly' about city infrastructure that penalizes people who are trying to ride." more...
NYPD Shuts Down Bike Race, Confiscates Some Bikes
NYC - "...Once the NYPD had arrested Nieves [event organizer], they began ticketing the cyclists who had showed up for the race for not having a bell; in some cases, they confiscated their bikes." more...
Lyft Addressing 'Dooring' Concerns
NYC - "The company that operates a massive taxi system and the nation's busiest bike share system realizes that it needs to do more to protect its most vulnerable customers." more...
- MA: Massachusetts cities are working to reduce pedestrian crashes
- SC: Why we need complete streets
- TX: Group resists road-only option
- CAN: Community group agrees to maintain Sprockids bike trail
- NY: 2019 Complete Streets Projects Focus on Additional Crosswalks, Bike Lanes
- AR: North Little Rock introducing Gotcha bike share
- CAN: Windsor starting to get serious about bicycling, advocates say
Trail Hazard South of Heath, Ohio
Thornville, OH - From Karen K: "[On the TJ Evans path network, south of Heath, OH, between Davis Dr. and Ridgely Tract Rd] ...there is a huge hose crossing the path. If someone is not paying attention they could get seriously hurt. A farmer has this hose crossing miles in the area."
Trail Authority Plans Crossing for Rail Trail
Lewisburg, PA - "The Union County Trail Authority opted to propose to PennDOT the addition of a signaled, at-grade pedestrian and bicyclist crossing of Route 15 at St. Mary Street." more...
Injured Citi Bike Riders Lawyer Up
"When a pedestrian stepped in the path of Felipe Ventura and his electric Citi Bike, he slammed on the brakes—and flew head-over-heels onto the ground, breaking both of his elbows." more...
Trail Trial Trudges On
St. Joseph, MO - "...Neighbors say the City is using eminent domain to push forward on plans to install the trail without any input from them." more...
D.C. Activists Call for Safer Streets after Fatality
D.C. - "On Sunday, members of the D.C. cycling community gathered at the site where an outspoken D.C. bike advocate lost his life in a crash Friday to hold a vigil and place a “ghost bike” to symbolize the fallen biker." more...
- TX: New Bike Lanes Taking Shape In Houston
- CAN: City weighs pros and cons of a bike lane
- TX: Easter egg hunters start pedaling, start hunting
- MD: You can now bike from downtown D.C., to Beltsville, MD
- MO: Boulders block trail users from parking near Galloway Greenway
- UK: North Dublin residents say canal greenway puts their security in danger
Bike Advocate Killed
D.C. - "A longtime D.C. bike advocate was struck and killed by the driver of a stolen van in Trinidad on Friday morning." more...
History Lecture Given to Change Tone of Debate
Colorado Springs, CO - "...The League of American Wheelmen, formed in 1880, struggled to ride down roads rutted by carriage wheels. They lobbied for paved roads, even before the invention of the automobile." more...
E-Scooters Zip by Docked Bikes in Popularity
NY - " Love them or hate them, electric scooters are everywhere — zipping along city streets and littered on sidewalks, to the dismay of pedestrians and drivers who must share the road." more...
Spinlister Wants to Change Bike Rental (Again)
"The peer-to-peer sporting-goods rental service now wants to blend mobile and traditional bike rentals." more...
Intermittent Closures for Little Miami Trail Section
Warren County, OH - Trail re-alignment construction may cause intermittent closures on the Little Miami Trail near milemarker 29.5, just south of Morrow, Ohio. The estimated construction time-frame is April 15 - May 3, 2019.
B&O Trail Safety Improvements
Richland County, OH - "...Earlier this month, the removal of 2 steel trailside bollards signalled the beginning of further safety improvements along the trail..." more
Final Stage of Cleveland Towpath Construction to Start
Dublin Unlikely to Hop on Scooter Trend
OH - "After receiving community feedback, Dublin City Council members are keeping the status quo regarding scooter use in the city." more...
Parking-Protected Bike Lane Bill Introduced
PA - "Members of the Pennsylvania State Senate introduced legislation on Friday which would allow for parking-protected bike lanes and pedestrian plazas on state roads throughout the state." more...
8-block Stretch of South 11th Street to get Makeover
Philadelphia, PA - "...a two-way parking-protected bike lane will be added to the western side of the street to create a dedicated biking path, and painted bulb-outs will be placed at intersections to shorten crossing distances for pedestrians..." more
People for Bikes Introduces Ride Spot
"This is not for the Lycra crowd, but to encourage safe and enjoyable biking for everyone." more...
Lyft Offering Free Passes in 6 Cities on Earth Day
"...Lyft’s Earth Day offer isn’t for its ride-hailing car service, but rather is a way to encourage the 'carbon-free' use of bicycles in Lyft’s bike-share networks across the country..." more
Man Returns $5,000 Stolen Bike
CA - "The man who stole a $5,000 road bike from a California bike shop this month returned it less than a week later." more...
Study on How People Use Public Spaces
Seattle, WA - "...The study set out to measure how people are using public spaces across the city." more...
"We're Watching You"
"...Sidewalk Labs, is now trying to reinvent signage for smart cities. These signs aren’t to direct the flow of traffic, or to point the way to urban landmarks — they’re designed to let citizens know when they’re being monitored." more...
Open Space Institute Saving Landscapes, Building Trails
NY - "...in Ulster County it’s trails rather than highways that are getting built..." more
- MN: Bikers & hikers excited for St. Croix loop trail, despite delay
- OR: PBOT wants diverters on N Michigan to reduce crashes
- NY: C.B. 5 O.K.’s 52nd, 55th Sts. protected bike lanes
- WI: Moped rider ticketed for being in bike lane, crashed into car
- OR: Police investigating fatal collision
- AZ: Border patrol agent assaulted on mountain trail
- CO: Animas River Trail construction puts 200-year-old tree at risk
- WA: Seattle’s bike share stands out
Lake Link Trail Sits on Unstable Ground
Cleveland, OH - "The Metroparks Centennial Lake Link Trail, which runs through the Flats – sits atop ground that need to be stabilized to avoid a 'high probability of failure,' a new engineering study says. more...
Western Reserve Greenway 1 Step Closer to Completion
Trumbull County, OH - "...The proposed route will go through some industrial areas and in Niles through some light traffic, city streets..." more
Rail Trail Transfer Still Pending
PA - "The exchange of paperwork continues to hold up closing on the ownership transfer of the Buffalo Valley Rail Trail." more...
Cyclist’s Gamily Awarded $5.25M in Fatal Accident
IL - "A lawsuit in the 2016 death of a 25-year-old woman on a bike has ended in a $5.25 million award to her family." more...
Usage Jumps 400% when Bike Lane is Protected
Seattle, WA - "Bike ridership jumped more than 413 percent after Seattle upgraded a key corridor from a mere painted bike lane into a beefier protected version, a city official revealed on Thursday." more...
Does Your City Have a Bike Mayor?
"...By the end of 2019, there will be 200 around the world." more...
Rails-to-Trails’ 2019 Supporter Survey
"...The invaluable insight collected in the survey helps RTC prioritize work for the coming year and into the future." more...
- FL: Tampa Bay area ranks high for pedestrian deaths
- GA: Cities strike deal to extend PATH400 from Buckhead to Sandy Springs
- MA: Traffic crashes in Boston resulting in fewer fatalities, but not injuries
- OR: Making SW Portland better for biking and walking
- WA: Seattle shuns bikeshares in the snow
- NY: Plan to keep them off sidewalks
- TX: Mayor Calls for More Protected Bike Lanes
- LA: Cyclists give feedback on New Orleans’ bike network
- MN: Minneapolis’ new shared wheel economy
- WA: Hundreds of syringes, 130 tons of trash removed from Greenway area
- SD: Nearly all Sioux Falls' bike trails and parks reopen
- IA: Anamosa cycling improvements
- CAN: Farmer Lake Mountain Bike Trail Network will soon become a reality
- CT: Meriden receives $400k state grant to extend linear trail
- MO: County awards bids for paving of Spirit Trail
ODOT Disputes Bike Path Design Flaw Blame
Athens, OH - "...on Wednesday, a spokesperson for ODOT wrote that 'while ODOT had some oversight in reviewing plans, the commissioners approved the final design, which did not incorporate a minimum elevation into the scope of work.'” more...
Simon Kenton Trail Hazard Reported
Springfield, OH - "If you're heading out on the Simon Kenton Trail here in Springfield, be aware that there is damage on the bridge where the trail crosses Buck Creek. This issue has been reported..." more
Dockless E-Bikes Coming to Philly in 2019
Philadelphia, PA - "...A year and a half after Philly officials first invited dockless bike-share companies to pitch the city, a test of concept is finally on the way..." more
Trail Project to Provide Bike-Ped Connections for Thousands
NJ - "...Since May 2012, a broad coalition of nonprofits, trail groups, foundations and agencies in Pennsylvania and New Jersey has been working to create an 800-mile interconnected trail network to provide new opportunities for recreation, commuting and commerce—and make New Jersey a more welcoming place to live, work and play..." more
Read the latest edition.
Drivers on Rogers Bike Trail
Rogers, AR - "...We're just worried that there are no signs, nothing telling pedestrians, cyclists even people driving what they're supposed to do..." more
Booby Trap Injures 69-Year-Old Rider
CO - "...Claar doesn’t remember anything between the moment of the crash and when he woke up in the hospital..." more
E-Bike Accidents Not a Shimano Brake Issue
CA - "Shimano says manufacturers apparently didn’t follow its requirements when spec’ing front brakes on some electric share bikes, possibly causing problems that led to Lyft and Uber pulling the bikes from service." more...
Who is to Blame for E-Bike Brake Issue?
U.S. - "... a clearer picture of Brake-gate is emerging — and Lyft increasingly looks like a patsy (albeit an extremely rich patsy) to its bitter rival Uber, which claims it fixed the very same brake problem on its Jump bicycles last year but opted not to tell anyone." more...
Scooter Trips Surpass Docked Bike Share Rides
U.S. - "Scooter ridership in America has outpaced traditional docked bike share for the first time, a new report shows." more
Shared Micromobility Use Climbing in the U.S.
U.S. - "More than 84 million trips were taken on shared bikes and scooters across the U.S. in 2018 as the popularity of micromobility increases." more...
- SD: City hopes to have Sioux Falls bike trail fully opened this weekend
- TX: City, county sign agreement on West Rail Corridor
- MN:Downtown bike lane plan pedals forward
- NC: Erosion plagues Broad River Greenway
- NC: Mebane’s 2019–20 budget focuses on fitness, fun, walkability
- FL: Juice Bikes: Competitor Lime isn't the reason we're changing
- NY: NYC would get 100 new miles of protected bike lanes each year under proposed bill
- NJ: Somers Point Receives $130,000 Grant to Expand Bike Path
- TX: Groups seek to honor cyclist killed in crash, call for change
- CA: Injured Hiker Rescued By Helicopter In Cleveland National Forest
- NZL: Funding boost for Hawke’s Bay Trails
- CAN: BLMBA bids to build trail to Boer Mountain
Towpath Now Connects with Merwin's Wharf
Cleveland, OH - "...Saturday's Opening Day for Trails 2019 event allowed hundreds of cyclists the opportunity to enjoy the Towpath Trail's newly completed Stage 3 and preview the future Stage 4..." more
Little Miami Trail Detour
Springfield, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation is currently working on the I-70 bridge at Springfield-Xenia Road, north of Beatty Station (on Little Miami Scenic Trail). There is a detour to Springfield-Xenia, so riders will have to ride along the road for that stretch..." more
Simon Kenton Trail Maintenance Closures
CSX Possibly One Step away from Salvaging Tracks
Warren, OH - "...The Trumbull County MetroParks had until early January to reach an agreement with CSX to use part of the line as the final county leg of the Western Reserve Greenway hike-and-bike trail, but the MetroParks could not come up with the $2.8 million CSX needed for the line..." more
Teen Foils Bike Theft
Wooster, OH - "...Tilton, a senior at Smithville High School and employee at the McDonald’s on Wooster’s North End, was on his break around 3 p.m. April 7 when he saw a boy take off on a bike..." more
Thousands of Children to Receive Bike Helmets
Columbus, OH - "This spring, 9,000 children within the state of Ohio will receive bicycle helmets, thanks to the 'Put A Lid On it!' campaign." more...
Safety Improvements Underway at Busy Intersection
Cleveland Heights, OH - "Cyclists, pedestrians and motorists traveling between Cleveland Heights and University Circle will no longer need to navigate the daunting sea of asphalt and confusing traffic movements at the intersection of Edgehill and Overlook roads." more...
Ann Arbor Licenses Spin
MI - "...The first resolution addressed was the licensing of Spin, Inc. as the only serviceable electric scooter in Ann Arbor..." more
Pennsylvania to Close Popular Hiking Trail
Jim Thorpe, PA - "...The Pennsylvania Game Commission has decided to close Glen Onoko because of longstanding concerns about the trail's safety, prompting backlash and bewilderment from hikers and nature lovers..." more
Greenway Stalemate Lingers in Roanoke
VA - "...the company also argued the industrial site and recreational greenway are not compatible. And bringing the greenway near the foundry could jeopardize its permits and jobs." more...
Funding Sought for Rock Island Trail
MO - " The Missouri House on Tuesday endorsed the creation of a private endowment that would help fund a proposed 144-mile bike trail across the state." more...
9-Year-Old Watches Thief Steal his Bike
TX - "A 9-year-old Texas boy caught a thief stealing his bike from his own front yard..." more
Making Streetcar Tracks Safer for Bicyclists
D.C. - "One of the most common safety issues with streetcar tracks around the world is that bicycle tires get caught in them..." more
Injuries Force Lyft to Hit Brakes on E-Bikes
"...So it was a real disappointment late Sunday when the ride-hail company announced it would remove all of its electric bicycles—at least for the time being—due to reports of injury..." more
- MA: ValleyBike Share ends use of anonymous cards to prevent damage to rental bikes
- CO: Denver traffic deaths are rising despite changes
- CA: San Diego unveils dockless scooter parking spots
- AR: Largest Bike-Share Program Sees Uptick in Vandalism
- TX: Man found passed out on bike trail
- MT: Fairgrounds preps for bike/hike trail connectors
- VT: Work on Montpelier bike path extension underway
- OR: Bill that clarifies bike lanes through intersections passes committee
- KS: Overland Park adding 70 miles of bike lanes
- WY: Councilors agree to keep and extend Snow King Ave bike lanes
- NJ: Grant Awarded for Expansion of Bike Path
- NC: Raleigh's busy Oberlin Road to make way for bikes, pedestrians
Flooding Affects Trails in Stark County
No Additional Elevation Work for Trail Extension
Dragon Trail Expected to be a National Attraction
MI - "Construction could begin this year on a 47-mile hiking and biking trail that would encircle a dam-formed pond in West Michigan." more...
Indiana Pacers Bike Share Set To Expand
IN - "The Indiana Pacers Bike Share program plans to roll out over 23 new stations this summer in the downtown area and in nearby neighborhoods..." more
Cyclist Beaten in Road Rage Incident
Milwaukee, WI - "A Milwaukee man said he was riding his bicycle home from lunch on Saturday, April 13 when two men attacked him on the road." more...
Rewards for Ditching Your Car Commute
"From London to Sacramento, nudging commuters towards low-emission transportation modes." more...
Indoor Cycling Spikes As Transport Cycling Declines
UK - "While walking for transport is on the up and up, cycle commuting is on a downward slope, reveals Sport England’s third annual Active Travel survey..." more
- TX: Mayor announces pedestrian safety measures in wake of fatal crash
- D.C.: Capital Bikeshare electric bikes temporarily removed after brake issues
- NC: Plans for new bike lanes
- CA: Why aren’t the bridges over the 710 being harnessed for safety?
- WA: Union Street Bike Lane Perpetuates Broken Network
- TN: Great Smoky Mountains hosting volunteer work days
- FL: Commission hits pause button on Pinellas Trail project
- NY: 417 bridge project OK’d
- GA: Ceramic head was found near a bike path
- MA: The rail trail with a beaver problem
Heartland Trail Update
Wayne County, OH - "...work is once again underway on the current 2.4-mile project of The Heartland Trail from Forrer Road to Marshallville. Completion of the project is anticipated for May. A ribbon cutting date will be announced when ready..."
To learn more, read the latest e-news from Wayne County Rails-to-Trails.
Cycling Activists Rally for Protected Bike Lanes
San Diego, CA - "Community members formed a human barrier along 30th Street in North Park to protect bike riders during a family friendly ride." more...
Plug Pulled on E-Bike Fleet
NYC - "...Citi Bike announced early Sunday that it would pull all its popular pedal-assist bikes off the road after reports that some riders had experienced “stronger than expected braking force on the front wheel.” more...
KC Bike Plan Will Save Lives, Boost Economy
Kansas City, MO - "Economic Impact Analysis shows new bike master plan will save 36 lives every year, add $500 million to the regional economy, and create 12,000 jobs." more...
- CA: San Francisco finds controlled scooter pilot a success
- WA: Police, pedestrians talk crosswalk conundrum
- VA: New 'flow trail' in Roanoke park
- TX: Contract approved for South Belton trail
- CAN: Mission Creek Greenway trail rerouting begins
- AR: Funding for trail in Fayetteville
- NY: Campus Bike-Share Rides Under the Radar
- CAN: Repaving threatens to close popular Cannon cycling lanes for the summer
- CA: Ford GoBike suspends electric-bike service after braking issues reported
Western Reserve Greenway Meeting
State Route 91 Work in Hudson
OH - "A $4.4 million project to install left turn lanes in three locations along state Route 91, add sidewalks and bike lanes and improve storm sewers and lighting is expected to occur next year..." more
Kokosing Volunteers Do Maintenance Sweep
Martinsburg Sees Resurgence in Rec Trail Development
Martinsburg, WV - "Fifteen years after a schematic design plan was completed for a walking and biking trail along the Tuscarora Creek in the Martinsburg area, a renewed effort has surfaced to make the proposed recreational project a reality..." more
Celebrating Rail Trail Opening Day
Salem, WV - "The Salem community joined others across the nation Saturday to celebrate 'Opening Day' on their local rail trails." more...
Sunnyvale Re-Evaluates Bike Share Program
CA - "...Garnett says the City is open to partnering with another company on a bike share program, but Lime was the only one that applied when the City was taking bids last year..." more
- MD: trail season opens in Baltimore
- IRE: Kildare's Grand Canal Greenway to be finished by end of 2021
- IRE: Amount of cycle lanes in Ennis “is laughable”
- UK: Cyclist blasts ‘lazy’ cops who parked their motors across Glasgow bike lane
- ME: Volunteer groups hope to build a mountain-bike trail network
- WI: bill seeks to elevate status of 2 state trails
- GA: Council moves forward with plan for trail extensions
Bellville Bike Depot Renovations
Bellville, OH - "Bellville Mayor Teri Brenkus cut the ribbon Friday morning during a ceremony celebrating the improvements to the Bellville Bike Depot." more...
Groups Collaborate for $20M Initiative
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...The presentation, titled ‘Access to Opportunity,’ detailed major projects that the city, school district and university will be working on together, simultaneously, over the next year." more...
Cyclists Slow Traffic in Protest
Atlanta, GA - "...About 100 cyclists slowed early morning rush hour traffic to a crawl not far from the Candler Park MARTA station to raise concerns about the need for sidewalks and bike lanes..." more
New Transport Bill Could Open Up More Money for Trails
U.S. - "...the Senate is also considering the next big transportation bill—and they heard about the need to build trails and active transportation infrastructure loud and clear..." more
Ask Your Senator to Support the S.1098 Act
U.S. - "...On Tuesday, Senators Ben Cardin (D-Md.) and Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) introduced the S.1098, the Transportation Alternatives Enhancements Act to help communities like yours build better bicycling and walking infrastructure..." more
- CAN: Unique bike lanes could be coming to Kitchener
- CAN: Are the Victoria bike lanes too narrow?
- CT: Resident Makes ‘Safe Bike’ Donation To Town
- VA: Abingdon Urban Pathway officially opens
- SD: Additional parks and trails reopen
- OR: Urban trail gets pushback
- MO: New Trail Honoring Veterans Opens
- NY: Thieves Steal Delivery Man's Food and Bike
$20K Grant for Towpath Construction
New Philadelphia, OH - "City officials have taken the first steps toward bringing the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail to New Philadelphia, which is slated to be the southern terminus of the 101-mile-long hiking and biking trail." more...
Bike Lanes Planned for Lorain
Bar Owner Battling Trail Builders
Cleveland, OH - "...Last year, Cleveland Metroparks began finalizing plans that would eliminate about 12 to 15 parking spaces along Franklin Avenue to make room for a bike path connecting the Red Line Greenway to the Centennial Lake Link Trail..." more
New Bike Share for Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH - "...Mobility installs private, customized bike-sharing systems in low-income neighborhoods where people typically cannot afford the increasing cost of public transportation..." more
CVNP Signals River Restoration Projects
CVNP, OH - "...In 2019, CVNP is embarking on a number of large-scale restoration projects within the 22 miles of river between Cleveland and Akron..." more
Cyclist in Critical Condition Following Crash
Cleveland, OH - "A cyclist is in critical condition after being hit in Cleveland on Thursday morning." more...
Delaware County Trails Assistance Program
OH - "Three multi-use trail projects in Delaware County have been selected by the Delaware County Trails Committee to receive funding from its assistance program." more...
Knox County Parks E-News
Read the spring newsletter.
Frankfort Tests "Color Pavement" Bike Lanes
KY - "...The green, glass beads bond with epoxy on the pavement to add color to the cityscape and traction for cyclists in damp weather." more...
Steuben County Earns Statewide Trails Award
IN - "...We excitedly believe that this investment in trails is the beginning of a new wave of continued annual support for trails in Steuben County..." more
Roosevelt Road Path Project Progresses
MI - " Lincoln Township has secured enough funding to move forward on the Roosevelt Road non-motorized path project..." more
"Phone Addicts" May Have Killed Over 6,000 Pedestrians
"A shocking Zendrive study finds people on the phone 10 percent of the time, but hey, they think they are safe drivers." more...
Crowdfunding Can Reduce Risk of "Bikelash"
"...it looks like crowdfunding, raising money collectively and online, helps ensure that local communities will welcome [bike] infrastructure. more...
- NY: Petition to ban bike lane on Queens Blvd.
- CAN: Kitchener bike lanes would allow cyclists to go both ways on one-way streets
- OR: Residents oppose Greenway expansion
- RI: Woonasquatucket Greenway Upgrades on the Way
- IL: Canton Bike Share program opens
- MA: Micromobility in Boston
- CA: Over 100 scooters impounded in first six months of pilot program
- GA: Slow Roll’ bike protest planned during Friday morning commute
- IL: What Should We Do About Cyclists Who Don’t Play By the Rules?
- CA: Hikers missing in Southern California mountains found safe
- CO: As trail construction begins, residents say communication from city is poor
- FL: St. Pete’s ‘complete streets’ push
- OR: Another person hit and killed while crossing North Fessenden
Ohio E-Bike Laws
"...In November 2018, Ohio passed House Bill 250 to establish requirements for using electric bicycles." more...
Camp Chase Trail Construction
County Explores Bike Path Project Design Change
Athens, OH - "Elevating a portion of a new bike path to make it flood less often could end up costing Athens County more than $100,000 if the county commissioners decide they want to pursue the corrective action." more...
Cyclist Strikes Child on Hudson River Greenway
NY - "...In 2018, five pedestrians reported to police they were hit by cyclists in the neighborhood. Twelve reported they were struck in 2017..." more
Divvy Deal Passes in Chicago
IL - "...Today the City Council approved the Divvy contract amendment, which will add 10,500 publicly-controlled electric-assist bikes; expand the system citywide..." more
Mayor Joins Fight Against Sidewalks
WI - "A group of Port Washington residents who live near Upper Lake Park told the Board of Public Works Tuesday that sidewalks are not needed in their neighborhood, and Mayor Marty Becker said he would veto any effort to install sidewalks there." more...
Bike Lanes are Making Commuting More Dangerous
UK - "Bike lanes are making commuting for cyclists more dangerous and a fresh approach to further protect those using them is required, a study has found." more...
Distracted Driving is Killing Us
"...Pedestrian fatalities are at a 30-year high, primarily due to distracted driving, according to Zendrive’s study..." more
- VA: Mount Vernon Bike Trail Turns 47
- NY: Saratoga Springs moves forward with once controversial bike and walking trail
- IRE: Farmer liability remains a greenway issue
- TX: Will electric scooters doom downtown's bike program?
- NY: City unveils infrastructure plan featuring tiny bike lane
- UK:People are nominating the most dangerous cycle lanes in Edinburgh
- IL: In Wake Of Fatalities, Niles Working To Improve Pedestrian, Cycling Plan
- D.C.: To increase bike safety and ridership, DC needs protected bike lanes
- CO: Denver thieves to snatch a U-Lock protected bike
- OR: Senate committee passes ‘Idaho Stop’ bill
- OR: Unpaved road fans raise red flag over Clackamas County forest project
- OK: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Pawnee County
Cleveland Needs More Than Painted Bike Lanes
OH - "...crashes involving pedestrians and cyclists are up from east to west, from deaths to more minor collisions..." more
Towpath Trail Surface Repairs
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "... Trail crews are working to smooth out the trail surface (beginning north and working south) throughout April. We encourage use of the Olde Muskingum Trail [in Canal Fulton] parallel to the Towpath Trail from Cherry St. to 40 Corners..."
Work Starting on Bike/Ped Path in Goshen
IN - "After eight years of planning, work is finally starting. It's for a bike and pedestrian path along Goshen's 9th Street." more...
Next Leg of Allegheny Twp. Trail to be Completed this Summer
PA - "Work on the next leg of the Wynn and Clara Tredway Trail could begin by the end of April." more...
Free Bike Share Program in Lackawanna County
PA - "Inspiring people to enjoy the fresh air and support local businesses is the goal of a Free Bike Sharing Program in Lackawanna County." more...
UM Launches Zagster Bike Share
MI - "...The University plans to install three Zagster bike racks, one at the University Center, one at the Fairlane campus and one at The Union at Dearborn. Each rack will have five bikes." more...
E-Scooter Legislation Worries Bike Advocates
CO - "Proposed bills across the U.S. would put bicycles and e-bikes on the same legal footing as the micromobility devices." more...
Jim Sayer to Step Down at Adventure Cycling
MT - "Adventure Cycling Association announced Tuesday that Jim Sayer will step down as executive director by the end of 2019, after 15 years at the helm..." more
Lower Speed Limits Save Lives
" Insurance Institute for Highway Safety says over five precent of deaths on the roads are due to higher speed limits." more...
- CAN: Sidewalk Labs is under pressure to explain its smart city dream
- WA: Community organizes to celebrate NE 65th St bike lanes
- MA: Beavers dig Norwottuck Rail Trail
- TX: Project Catalyst and Country Club Creek Trail: An ‘inopportune’ overlap
- IA: Cedar Rapids changes bike, scooter rules
- CAN: Charlottetown council drops two-way bike lane project
- NY: Bill Calls for Cameras to Go Up to Ticket Drivers in Bike Lanes
- NZL: Wellington cyclists form 'people-protected' bike lane through central city
- NC: Currituck County’s Corolla Greenway wins Mobi Award
- IRE:Great Southern Greenway to be ‘a world class visitor experience’
- WA: Seattle's draft Bicycle Master Plan cuts down on promises to bikers
New Bridge Will Include Bike Lanes
Liberty Township Trail Underway
Cincinnati, OH - "By the end of summer a one-mile, paved path will connect Millikin Road and the northern end of Cherokee Park, near the fishing pond." more...
Lights Along the Towpath Trail
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Riverfront Trail set to be Paved
Ashland, KY - "The Ashland riverfront trail will soon be paved in asphalt, replacing the crumb rubber that previously covered the path." more...
Bike Lanes Growing in Detroit
MI - "Back in 2007, there were about 13 miles of bike lanes in Detroit. Today? There’s nearly 240, almost all of which have been laid down in the last few years." more...
Ann Arbor Agrees to Fund Bike Share Program
MI - "...The program includes 12 stations stocked with 125 bicycles that can be used from 5 a.m. to midnight everyday through November..." more
Pennsy Greenway Extension to Bring New Life to Downtown
Schererville, IN - "...Having the trail pass through the downtown corridor and providing connectivity between local neighborhoods will bring a 'big boom' to an area that town officials have been working for years to develop." more...
Cambridge Passes Historic Milestone
MA - "A law requiring construction of protected bike lanes on streets in the city’s five-year sidewalk and street reconstruction plan was voted in Monday by the City Council – a move bike advocates are calling the first law of its kind in the country." more...
- FL: Hillsborough Co. to add sidewalk after several hit at crosswalk
- OR: Safety Improvement coming to high crash corridor in SE Portland
- GA: Momentum builds for biking, walking trail network
- NC: Mount Holly greenway section closed
- IRE: Majority of farmers against greenways regardless of compensation
- CA: Motorist Injures Cyclist in Wiggle Mixing Zone
- NZL: Car uses Waterview bike lane on morning commute
- AUS: Are separated bike lanes key to Canberra's future as a cycling city?
- TX: Houston’s Bike Share Ridership Up Over 65%
- NZL: Cyclists to build their own bike lane
- MN: Network of recreational trails in Sioux City continues to grow
- TN: City of Memphis making 'Shared Mobility Program' permanent
Group Fears Land Sale, Loss of Fence
Cincinnati, OH - "Some Hyde Park residents fear the pending sale of property along a proposed section of the Wasson Way bike trail means they soon could be dealing with unruly bar patrons again." more...
Corwin Peddler Reopens Along the Little Miami Trail
Corwin, OH - "We are officially open for the 2019 season!! Come check us out!.." more
Pennsylvania Approves $54.7M in Transportation Projects
PA - "...Funding covers projects ranging from roads, trails and rail to traffic safety, public transportation and air transport..." more
Budget Restores Eminent Domain for Bike Trails
WI - " Democratic Gov. Tony Evers wants to restore local governments and state agencies' right to seize private property for biking and hiking trails, a move that would again pit private property owners against villages, towns and cities looking to upgrade amenities." more...
Graffiti In Historic Paw Paw Tunnel
MD - "...A $250 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons involved." more...
Bye-Bye Bike Share?
"...micromobility companies are pedaling away from bikes to prioritize what they say customers want: scooters." more...
German App Posts Photos of Bike Lane Blockers
"...In Germany, a new app, Wegeheld (Road Hero) appears to be much more effective and popular. It's been downloaded more than a hundred thousand times,.." more
- TX: Bike sharing spreads in Houston
- CA:Police investigate crash that killed 14-old-girl
- NY: Deliveryman uses bicycle to help police nab robbery suspect
- CA: 67 tickets issued, 2 arrests made in Concord bike & ped safety crackdown
- CT: Brookfield approves grant for Still River Greenway
- MN: Work to start on Fremont bridge
- WA: Tree removal is latest controversy in Burke Gilman missing link saga
- GA: Flint Rivers Trails collection continues to grow
- AUS: Wangetti Trail grows 150Kms following advanced planning
- CAN: Wheels start turning on King Street protected bike lanes
- LA: Mayor Cantrell Reminds Residents: “We are all traffic”
- UK: Brighton bike share scheme marks a million miles
- CA: Official says SF supervisors ‘water down’ safety projects
North Coast Inland Trail Progress
Norwalk, OH - "Another bit of progress on the Laylin-Townsend section: this stone driveway at Laylin Rd was installed to give contractors better access for upcoming land clearing and trail construction projects, and will later become part of the trail itself." more...
Completing East Coast Greenway Would Benefit Philly
Philadephia, PA - " Completing the East Coast Greenway in the Delaware River Watershed would generate an impact of more than $3 billion in public health, environmental and economic benefits for greater Philadelphia..." more
Groups Split on Necessity, Cot of Bike Plan
Kansas City, MO - "For several months, officials with Kansas City, Missouri, have met with the public about what the proposed bike plan would look like..." more
Popularity of E-Bikes is Growing
CAN - "Electric bikes are growing in popularity around the world, including Metro Vancouver..." more
As E-Scooters Proliferate, So Do Injuries & Blocked Sidewalks
"...While the companies behind them are quick to extol their benefits, some health and safety experts are starting to see the challenges that come along for the ride..." more
- FL: Cyclist turn out for grand opening of bike trail section in Hastings
- GA: Bob Callan Trail extension to be complete this summer
- MO: Wild Nature Proclamation Day brings up concerns over city's trail construction
- NY: Does green light for Putnam’s greenway mean red light for Riverdale’s?
- VA: Community begins work on Northend Greenway
- OR: Safety Improvement coming to high crash corridor in SE Portland
- TX https://therivardreport.com/san-antonio-a-city-still-unsafe-for-cyclists-pedestrians/
Towpath Posts Speed Limit / Allows E-Bikes
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Class 1 e-bikes are permitted to ride on multi-purpose trails (crushed limestone or asphalt) as part of a pilot program throughout 2019. The speed limit for all users 15 mph with signs posted along the trail."
Commissioners Discuss Grants for Bike Path, Rail-Trail
Athens County, OH - "...The commissioners agreed to apply for TAP funding to repair cracks and seal the 12-mile, county-owned section of the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway, from Currier Street in Athens to Hocking College..." more
Body Found in Scioto River
Columbus, OH - "Columbus police announced Friday that they believe the body pulled from the Scioto River Wednesday afternoon is the same man who entered the river on Feb. 22 and disappeared." more...
Residents Complain about Tree Removal along Trail
IN - "...a tree removal prescribed by the Northern Indiana Public Service Co. along the bike trail has all but ruined her view, she and other residents told the Town Council at its April 2 meeting..." more
Gladwin County Trail Head Moving Forward
MI - "A $20,000 donation from the Gladwin County Community Foundation to the Gladwin County Trails Recreation Authority is helping pave more of the the county's rail trail." more...
Temple Making Strides to Promote Bike Safety
PA - "In 2015, while biking on campus, Rachel Hall, CLA ’15, was struck by a hit-and-run driver. The incident inspired her brother to start a business and furthered bike safety discussions at Temple." more...
Injured Cyclist to Receive $20M Settlement
San Diego, CA - "...Crews had closed the bike lane and set up traffic control devices, however, Du continued to ride on the lane..." more
- SD: City of SF, volunteers spruce up parks, bike trail
- CA: Barbed wire disguised as a twig found on popular bike trail
- UT: Salt Lake to design potential Main Street cycle track
- AL: New Greenway opening at the Space & Rocket Center
- ND: Several Greenway trails close as Red River rises
- OR: Bear Creek Greenway meets Larson Creek Greenway
- UT: Summit County Council bans electric scooters
- NYC: The 107th Precinct Is The Latest to See Cyclists As Lawbreaking Pests
- TX: Tony Diaz 'ghost bike' removed from UT campus
- WI: Video captures motorist attacking Madison bicyclist
- GA: Bob Callan Trail extension to be complete this summer
- CA: Thief Makes Off With $5,000 Road Bike During Test Ride
- WA: Community celebration for opening of NE 65th St bike lanes
North Coast Inland Trail Clearing
Norwalk, OH - "More progress was made this week on the future trail between Townsend Ave and Laylin Rd on the east side of Norwalk..." more
Cuyahoga County Working on Scooter/Bike Share Rules
Cleveland, OH - "...the county will try in coming weeks to align the county’s proposed regulations with those the city wants." more...
Autopsy Reveals Ohio Hiker Died of Hypothermia
Ashville, NC - "A Great Smoky Mountains National Park official, citing an autopsy report, says hypothermia killed an Ohio woman whose body was found at the park last year." more...
Pop-Up Cycle Track Coming to Downtown
Raleigh, NC - "It's something Raleigh has never seen before." more...
U.S. Cities Warming Up to Bike Lanes
"...However as any biker can tell you, some cities and communities are far more hospitable to bikers than others..." more
Bike Share is Going Electric
"Citi Bike, the bike share program for New York City, will add 4,000 pedal-assist e-bikes to its fleet." more...
Speed Caps for E-Scooters & Some Cars
D.C. - "... a new trend is emerging: Speed caps, in which a vehicle's software restricts an engine or motor from accelerating past a predetermined threshold, are being built into cars, e-scooters and e-bikes to improve safety." more...
- CA: California Invests Big in Trails
- NH: Portsmouth to adjust bike lane bollards
- GA: Savannah’s first painted bike lane complete
- MD: Civic League votes to request temporary delay in removing cycle track
- MA: Haverhill to get $1 million from state to extend rail trail
- CA: TAMC moves forward with Fort Ord greenway trail system
- MN: Twin Cities' bike-share program expands in Minneapolis, leaves St. Paul
- IL: Student-run bike-share program provides 305 rides in first 3 days
- NJ: Hoboken will launch an e-scooter pilot
- MCO: Monaco gives mobility a boost with e-bikes
- CO: Free bike offered as incentive to trail volunteers
Moving Forward on Scioto Trail Extension
Columbus, OH - "...The city's parks and recreation department recently put out a request for proposals for design and engineering to extend the Scioto Trail from its current end point at 5th Avenue to Griggs Park..." more
Police Bike Patrols Coming to Clintonville
OH - "...This summer, for the first time, officers are parking their cruisers and hopping on bicycles to patrol neighborhoods and bike trails." more...
Recalling the History of Solon's Vacated Rail Lines
Solon, OH - "...So, the route by which massive trains long ago chugged through Solon sat in limbo for two decades before Mayor Kraus had the nerve to suggest that the park system had a nice idea after all..." more
Lebanon Wants to Double Size of Bike Park
OH - " Lebanon is planning to double the size of its new outdoor bike park in hopes of establishing it as an official race site for a new interscholastic league for mountain bikers." more...
ODOT Seeking Public Comments
Sidney, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation District 7 is seeking public comments regarding the following projects [includes trail maintenance]..." more
Federal Law Plucks Trees from Griffith Bike Trail
IN - "A tree-clearing project along the Erie Lackawanna Bike Trail is causing a stir with residents and trail walkers, town officials said." more...
Houston Bike Trail Project Plans
TX - "The Bayou Greenways 2020 network is expected to be completed next year, and officials are now looking to take it beyond the city limits." more...
Cyclist Snared by Booby Trap
CO - "A local cyclist has broken bones and massive bruises all because of an apparently booby-trapped bike trail." more...
Testing Speed Bumps to Slow Down Drivers
Portland, OR - "The Portland Bureau of Transportation wants to make intersections safer by slowing down drivers making left turns..." more
Arkansas Passes ‘Idaho Stop’ Law
AR - "Arkansas became the second state in the nation to legalize the Idaho Stop on Monday, the biggest breakthrough yet for the iconic 35-year-old bike safety law." more...
The Race to Code the Curb
"The curb is hot. No longer just a home for parked cars and cigarette butts, this is where the action is in the 21st century city..." more
Right Hook Prevention in Bike Lanes
"Dear MOTORIST...this video is for you! If you do not know about right hooks, they are a leading cause of injury and death to cyclists..." more
- OR: PSU will make block of SW Montgomery a carfree plaza in May
- TX: Woman charged in death of San Antonio bike shop owner
- WA: Seattle’s bike movement fights mayor’s bike plan cuts
- NYC: Why Did De Blasio's DOT Rip Out A Popular Protected Bike Lane?
- NC: Lewd jogger wore ‘a black jacket and sneakers — but nothing else''
- CA: Activists Rallying For Protected Bike Lanes In North Park
- CAN: Vancouver's busiest bike routes have the trickiest gap to navigate
- CA: Second Street in SF a Fail for Cyclists
- NY: Staten Island’s dockless bike share program expanding
- IA: 3rd Avenue Bridge to get protected bike lanes, parallel parking
- TX: UT, City of Austin add first official bike lanes to campus road
- CO: County funds $72K in trails projects
- CAN: Saugeen Shores Designated as a Bicycle Friendly Community
- CO: Homemade mountain bike trail damages Golden park lands
Wasson Way Trail Overview
Turnpike Construction Affects Mill Creek Bikeway
Mahoning County, OH - "...The work began in 2018 and is scheduled to be completed about Nov. 1. The 2019 construction involves a bike detour, the removal of twin mainline bridges over the Mill Creek Bikeway and installing a pre-fabricated concrete structure. A new permanent bike path will be built through the construction area." more...
Location Markers to be Installed on Springfield Trails
Trauma Surgeon says Number of Scooter Injuries Increasing
San Diego, CA - "...All of us are scrambling to find out how big of a public health concern this is going to be..." more
SDOT Puts Off Building 25 Miles of Bike Lanes
Seattle, WA - "...The Seattle Department of Transportation says its new implementation plan pushes back some bike projects until funding can be found." more...
RTC Spring Happenings & Updates
U.S. - "...Earlier this month, we traveled to Annapolis to meet with legislators from the 40th District of the Maryland House of Delegates to talk about the northwest segment of the Baltimore Greenway Trails Network and legislation that would dedicate additional funds to complete trails, bike lanes and other bike-ped infrastructure projects..." more
- AZ: On Phoenix's most dangerous streets, little has been done...
- GA: Car hits 9-year-old playing in yard; driver on the run
- OR: Man nets big haul of nails and screws on a walk across Bridge
- MD: End in sight for work on Western Maryland Rail Trail extension
- WA: Bellevue 108th Ave Bikeway Seen As Success
- NM: New Mexico seeks bigger slice of outdoor recreation economy
- CAN: Allowing parking in bike lanes, advocate says is a dangerous move
- UK: Cyclist in a bike lane is side-swiped and knocked to the ground by
- NY: Bike share returns to Rochester for its third season
- MN: St. Paul left without bicycle sharing
- SD: A Ride Through Closed And Open Sections Of The SF Bike Trail
Towpath Flooding Reports
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Flooding along the trail is present in the low lying areas including north of Lake Lucerne near Canal Fulton, under Lake Ave. in Massillon, and Wooster St. in Navarre. Crystal Springs, Lock 4, and St. Helena Heritage Park parking areas are also closed at this time"
Athens Prepping for E-Scooters
Athens, OH - "Athens City Council is considering legislation that would regulate small electric vehicles, including e-scooters and e-bicycles, in anticipation of e-mobility companies that have arrived without warning in other cities." more...
Pittsburgh’s Hazelwood Green Site Opens
PA - "Pittsburgh’s sprawling Hazelwood Green property along the Monongahela River opened to the public Monday for the first time in more than 100 years." more...
New Bike Share Program Already Seeing Results
Jeffersonville, IN - "...The LouVelo bike share increases the healthy regional transportation options while utilizing the Greenway, Big Four Bridge and shared bike lanes around District 1." more...
Columbus, DNR Negotiate Riverfront Project
IN - "...For two years, the city and DNR have been going back and forth to propose ideas and suggest improvements and changes to the city’s Riverfront plans for the East Fork White River..." more
Bensalem Gets $350K For Greenway Trails
PA - "Bensalem is working on a 13.5-mile trail that would run from Philadelphia to Bristol Township and be part of a national system of trails." more...
Kids Take Bikes on Highway Tunnel Joy Ride
Boston, MA - "...The group of around 30 cyclists zipped onto Interstate 93 south at Leverett Circle and, to the astonishment of the people in cars around them, took up the two right-hand lanes as they pedaled over the Zakim Bridge and through the tunnel." more...
Bicyclist on Life Support
TX - "A man who was left in critical condition following a downtown overnight crash involving a suspected drunk driver is on life support..." more
Cycle Track to be Removed
Baltimore, MD - "...The city also canceled a pilot plan to test reducing traffic along the road to one lane each way from two..." more
Wholesale Bike Sales Down, Except for E-Bikes
Boulder, CO - "...The trend continues: BPSA members are selling fewer bikes, but more expensive ones. For the full year 2018, that trend resulted in a 10 percent decline in units but a 4 percent uptick in dollar sales..." more
- NYC: De Blasio Won’t Say Words ‘Bike Lane’
- CA: San Francisco’s escalating war on cars
- WA: The bitter politics of bike lanes and parking in Northeast Seattle
- RI: Expansion of JUMP Dockless Electric Bike Share in Providence
- NC: Henderson County approves greenway master plan
- NYC: Queens Residents Demand DOT 'Finish Queens Boulevard' Bike Lane
- IA: Bridge work aims to alleviate bike lane issues
- CAN: Bike lanes alongside train tracks could beef up city's cycling network
- OR: Next segment of Historic Columbia River Highway bike trail takes shape
- VT: Bike trails set to open in August
Brush Work Completed on Xenia-Jamestown Connector
CVNP Visitor Center to Open this Fall
Akron, OH - "The Cuyahoga Valley National Park’s new Boston Mill Visitor Center is scheduled to open in October." more...
DVRPC Awards $3.6M in Trail Grants
NJ - "Three Bucks County towns and two Burlington County, New Jersey, projects were approved for nearly $900,000 for trail programs..." more
Family of Killed Cyclist Sues
TX - "...Cyclist Anthony John Diaz, 39, was dragged under a CapMetro bus and killed on Jan. 28..." more
Vulnerable User Bill Stuck in Committee
Baltimore, MD - "Under current law, motorists who injure or kill a bicyclist, jogger or scooter rider in Maryland routinely walk away with nothing more than a traffic ticket." more...
States Looking at Regulating E-Scooters
U.S. - "...The Washington Post reports that nearly 70 bills related to e-scooters have been introduced in 29 state legislatures in recent months..." more
- IA: Bicyclists ask for more enforcement of bike lane parking restrictions
- CAN: Extending Bloor bike lanes west will benefit the community
- WA: The Seattle that could've been
- MN:Mobility hubs will contribute to mode shift
- CO: Bicyclists can take lane if road marked 'Shared Lane Use'
- VA: Funding shortfall leads to trail plan changes
- NY: Dryden opens new section of Rail Trail
- CAN: Growing popularity of e-bikes could boost trails, tourism
- NY: power-assist bikes roll into White Plains
- CHN: Man hit by shared bike falling from building
- CA: Tempers flare as traffic backs up
- TN: Riverwalk will eventually expand north of the river
Alum Creek Trail Flooding
Columbus, OH - From Columbus MetroParks, "Severe flooding and debris blocking majority of Alum Creek Trail. Will clear by tomorrow afternoon when flooding has subsided. Stay Safe!"
Neighbors March for Safer Streets
GA - "People took to the streets Saturday to push for changes to a busy street they say is too dangerous to walk or bike on." more...
Cyclists Struck, Killed near Medicine Lodge
Wichita, KS - "...Jack Murphy, who is a bike instructor, says too often cyclists are rear ended while on highways and main roads." more...
Cyclist Mocks New Narrow Bike Lane
UK - "...The freshly-marked lane in Lowton, Wigan, has prompted ridicule from the local cycling community..." more
Police to be Challenged Over Blocking Cycle Lane
SCT - "The “bad practice” of Police Scotland staff parking their cars over a cycle lane near one of its biggest offices will be raised by the area’s roads authority." more...
- CT: Town to explore bike path grant can be used for a different project
- CO: Unicoi County receives grant to develop bike park
- AZ: Bike ranch doesn't belong so close to Saguaro East
- TX:Construction Brings Major Greenway Trail System Closer to Completion
- IRE: Greenway chair says local councils need to co-ordinate their plans
- RI: Advisory committee looks to improve biker, pedestrian safety
Virginia Man Arrested on Stavich Trail
L.A. Approves Street Memorial Signs
CA - "The effort was spearheaded by San Fernando Valley LA Councilman Bob Blumenfield in response to high numbers of cyclist fatalities." more...
Bettendorf adds Bike Paths
IA - "Bettendorf's distinction as a bike-friendly city will get another boost this year..." more
Company Allows Small Towns to Have Bike Share
"Pocahontas, Iowa, has 1,700 people–and a higher number of bikeshare bikes per resident than the Citi Bike system in New York." more...
Join the Movement for Bicyclists' Rights
"...In March, hundreds of League members climbed the Hill in Washington, DC, at the National Bike Summit, where together we generated momentum around policies and funding for safer biking and walking..." more
- NY: 10 New Citi Bike Docks Are Coming To Bushwick
- OR: Biketown hasn’t taken over Portland like I’d hoped
- VA: E-Bikes Now Permitted on W&OD Trail
- SD: Falls Park and about 11 miles of bike trail now open
- AR: North Little Rock opens exclusive mountain bike trail at Burns Park
- D.C.: DC moves forward with controversial bike lanes
- FL: St. Pete chooses bike lanes
- IL: Run-in With a Reckless Cabbie
- LA: Mandeville City Council rejects bike path that drew neighborhood's ire
- IRE: Initiatives in Galway and Dublin 8 aim to reclaim the streets for cyclists
- TX: City supports 25 mph residential speed limits
Portion of Mill Creek Bike Trail Detour Expected to Open
Berrien County Dreams of Trails
IN - "More than 100 people came to Andrews University on a cold February night — more than anyone expected — to talk about safe routes to walk and bike through Berrien County." more...
E-Bike Sales, Rentals Promised at Incoming Shop
Detroit, MI - "Bicycle and bike gear retailer American Cycle and Fitness plans to open electric bicycle shop in Detroit." more...
City Going all in for Electric Bikes
Richmond, VA - "City Hall is trying to turn around its failing bike share program by adding battery-powered bikes to make it easier for riders to travel longer distances and get up the city’s hills." more...
Task Force Formed To Implement Public Lands Bill
U.S. - "...We are taking a concrete step to ensure the department efficiently and fully implements the most comprehensive public lands management legislation in a decade..." more
Bike Lane Blockers to get $300 Fine
New Orleans, LA - "...It needs to be that high. This is a public safety issue..." more
- OR: Theft from apartment’s bike parking room
- CAN: Totten Street bike lane construction to begin Monday
- NY: Koz says no link on bike lanes and jail
- AZ: Cycling in Arizona: What are the rules of the road?
- LA: Broad Street overpass bike lanes will feature new protections; cyclists still wary
- TX: Survey reveals Austinites want to get out of their cars
- GA: Group pushes other cities to start Greenway work
- TN: Rec. Dept. begins to flag route for greenway extension
- TX: Greens Bayou Greenway opens
- CO: State dismisses condemnation complaint against Durango
- NY: Sutton Place Preservationists Sue To Block Esplanade Expansion
- NC: ECU ending Lime Bikes program on campus
- MA: Body found along Connecticut River near Northampton bike trail
- UT: Jeremy Ranch Elementary Kids Will Have New Path And Wetlands Next Year
Bike Lanes Planned for Broad Street
Franklinton, OH - "...The new alignment will feature a center turn lane and bike lanes running in each direction..." more
Memorial to Son Stolen
Warren, OH - "A makeshift memorial to a loved one killed by a careless driver has been stolen right out of a Warren family's front yard." more...
Lime to Try E-Scooters Again
South Bend, IN - " Lime will keeps its bikes in South Bend for now and is bringing its electric scooters back to the downtown and Indiana University South Bend campus for a second 45-day pilot project..." more
Test Bike Lanes Show Promise
New Orleans, LA - "...Connect the Crescent showed that building a network of protected bike lanes makes streets safer for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians." more...
Drivers Think Cyclists are not Fully Human
"The word ‘cyclist’ contributes towards the hostility people on bikes face, researchers say." more...
UT Scooter Speed Limit
TX - "...the 8-mph limit will be enforced using geofencing technology, which will throttle down a scooter’s top speed (typically 15 to 17 mph) whenever it’s on the UT campus." more...
IMBA Announces Trail Accelerator Grant Recipients
Boulder, CO - "Recipients’ trail plans will put more trails close to home in communities in Tennessee, Nebraska and Wisconsin." more...
- WA: SDOT puts brakes on controversial 35th Ave NE bike lane project
- TX: City Bans Scooter and Bike-Share, Citizens Give Little Input
- ID: Moscow, UI trek toward two wheels
- UK: Transport App Reduces Car Use And Boosts Bike And Bus Use
- CA: City approves controversial new bike trail through south Sacramento
- D.C.: Transportation advocates demand K St NE road diet and green space
- WI: Milwaukee looking at different bike lane barrier options
- FL: Emerald Trail Master plan approved
- LA: NOPD pledges better bike law enforcement
- VT: Bennington accepts 96-acre nature reserve donation
- NY: TILT progresses with rails-to-trails project
Towpath Section Reopens
CVNP, OH - "The Towpath Trail between Deep Lock Quarry Metro Park and Hunt House is now open!
"The trail section had been closed for installation of a steel pedestrian bridge..." more
RTA Approves Plans for Complex Near Red Line Greenway
Cleveland, OH - "The Regional Transit Authority approved a non-binding letter of intent today for a Westlake developer to draft a plan for offices, residences, stores and green space on 1.3 acres of RTA property between Columbus Road and the future Red Line Greenway Trail." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Will Ohio Keep Widening Highways?
Cincinnati, OH - "...is increasing capacity on a highway system that the state has admitted it cannot afford to maintain — under current funding levels — really the best idea?" more...
Bikes for All Celebrates 5 Years
Columbus, OH - "One Columbus organization has given away dozens of bicycles to children in its community over the last five years." more...
Restore Pennsylvania Could Benefit Williamsport
PA - "...If all goes as planned, Governor Wolf's proposal to the legislator will fund major infrastructure projects across Pennsylvania." more...
Reading gets Grant for Bike/Ped Path
PA - "Cyclists and pedestrians are closer to enjoying a planned trail along nearly 2 miles of East Wyomissing and Hancock boulevards in Reading." more...
Grant Money for New Trail
Forty Fort, PA - "...The borough of Forty Fort was just awarded a $600,000 grant from the states multimodal transportation fund." more...
Branding Michiana Trails
South Bend, IN - "...The Michiana Area Council of Governments is leading the $60,000 trail branding project to help local areas market themselves as fun, active places to live and visit to people both within and beyond their borders." more...
Couple Bringing E-Bikes to Norfolk
VA - "Pedego Electric Bikes will be rolling into the city as the first electric bike dealership in Hampton Roads." more...
London's Ultra Low Emission Zone Scheme
UK - "...make no mistake, it is one of the most radical anti-pollution policies in the world." more...
- TX: Houstonians Are Struggling With Poor Sidewalks
- SC: Legislature to review ‘complete streets’ bill
- OR: Bill would protect cyclists in intersections
- WA: City Light decides against car charger in path of Broadway Bikeway
- WA: No bicycle lanes on northeast Seattle road project
- LA: New Orleans bike safety plan
- CA: At least 240 people killed in LA traffic collisions in 2018
- AZ: City cancels bike path plan for Desert Foothills Parkway
- MD:DOT plan for Roland Avenue is not acceptable
- BRA: Electric Bikes coming to Brazil
- IRE: 2 more canal greenways in the pipeline for Offaly
Tree Trimming along the Little Miami Trail
Old Fleatique, Grocery Store to Become Greenway Corridor
PA - "...The property will become part of a 30-acre Loyalhanna Gorge Greenway between the eastbound and westbound lanes of Route 30..." more
Popular Trail Becoming MTBikes Only
CO - "Colorado Springs mountain biker Harry Hamill stopped riding the Chutes years ago.." more...
Major Cities are Removing Elevated Highways
"...20 cities around the world have removed elevated highways..." more
Lawyers Descending on Sarasota County for Legacy Trail Lawsuits
FL - "Land along where the Legacy Trail will be extended has become a battleground for lawyers clamoring for clients." more...
Volvo to Monitor Drivers
"Volvo said this week that it will use in-vehicle cameras and sensors to monitor whether a driver is distracted or intoxicated, and allow the car to take action in unsafe situations..." more
Vancouver Bike Lanes Led to Uptick in Physical Activity
CAN - "There is a correlation between a heightened level of physical activity and living close proximity to an urban greenway, according to a new study by researchers at the University of British Columbia." more...
Belgium Reduces Tax on Bike Sales
"Earlier this week Belgium’s parliament voted through a bill to lower the sales tax on bicycles – including e-bikes – from 21 to 6%..." more
- NE: Biking and walking advocates merge efforts
- OR: Driver who hit protester in downtown Portland gets criminal case dismissed
- TX: New Potential Funding Streams in the Lone Star State
- WI: Lime ends bike share program in Green Bay
- NC: Green Lime bikes have disappeared from Durham and Wake Forest
- WI: Defendant in bike trail assaults seeks to change pleas
- MA: 'Tragic accident' along a peaceful walking trail raises questions
- VA: Cyclist worried drivers are misusing Manchester Bridge bike lane
- TN: Engineering Students Design Section of Gatlinburg Greenway
- NC: How police keep Charlotte's parks, greenways safe
Cannonball Trail Celebrates 25 Years
The 'Mansfield Rising' Plan
Mansfield, OH - "Part of the 'Mansfield Rising' plan is to provide alternative transportation options, such as ride-share services, trolleys, bike sharing programs and electric scooters." more...
Cyclist Dies from Head-On Collision on Bike Path
Lexington, MA - "A 71-year-old cyclist has died in a collision with another bicycle rider on popular recreational trail just outside Boston." more...
Cycling into the Future in Tallahassee
FL - "...Tallahassee now has over 200 miles of bike paths, of which 8 miles are buffered or protected..." more
“Complete Streets” Dubbed Incomplete 9 Years Later
CT - "...nine years later, New Haveners testifying at a recent Board of Alders hearing said they’re still taking their lives into their hands every time they ride a bike or attempt to cross an intersection on foot..." more
Bike Thief Leaves Wallet Behind
MT - "A man broke into a Montana bike shop on March 9, but left his wallet with his state-issued ID inside." more...
Are Bikes the Future of Urban Mobility?
"In most cities around the UK and the rest of the world, there’s never been a worse time to be a cyclist..." more
Man Jailed for Using Dog to Attack Cyclists
UK - "A man from Oxford, U.K., who launched a vicious ‘campaign’ against city centre cyclists, letting his canine sink his teeth into a number of riders..." more
- NC: construction begins on bike lanes in uptown
- MA: Town seeks $2.5M for continuation of in-town bike path
- IL: Bike lane project still in works
- AR: Springdale residents have plenty to say about new bicycle lanes
- CA: RTC Promoting Flawed Plan
- CHN: Greenbelts along Qiantang River show off Hangzhou's urban plan
- CA: Cyclists upset by SMART’s delays in completing promised bike path
- CA: Why is Los Angeles so Dangerous for Cyclists?
Little Beaver Creek Greenway Trail Repairs Coming
Galena Trail Construction Progress
Galena, OH - "... planning and design is underway for the Galena Brick Trail Phase 3 project. This is the segment of the Ohio-To-Erie Trail that will connect Galena to Sunbury. Construction is anticipated during the second half of 2019..." more
Bike Share Popular on Marshall Campus
WV - "You've heard of 'build it and they will come,' but on campus the Marshall University Sustainability Department's latest project motto has been 'leave it and they will ride'." more...
L.A. Spent 10 Years and $20M to Redesign a Street
CA - "On Aug. 30, 2018, Los Angeles officially completed renovations on 4.5 miles of streets along the Figueroa corridor. The project took 10 years and cost $20 million. What did we get for all that effort?" more...
The Problem with L.A.'s Alternative Transit Efforts
CA - "...the infrastructure is spotty, badly maintained and confusing for drivers and cyclists..." more
- SC: Rail Trail extension has 'first in SC' bike lane
- MO: Trail Coalition agrees to move ahead with paving
- UK: Brunel 'Boris Bikes' launched in Uxbridge
- FL: Candlelight vigil held to remember woman killed while riding bicycle
- FL: Emerald Trail is about to become a reality
- WA: road changes aim to make Bellingham more bike and pedestrian friendly
- OK: Cyclist’s death highlights OKC infrastructure needs
- OR: Researchers at UO aim to make cycling around town safer
- OR: Greening up the Greenway
- OR: City maps out new greenway linking Lloyd to Woodlawn
- WA: Trail connection across Factoria Boulevard begins work in 2019
Simon Kenton Trail Work Completed for Now
Urbana, OH - "...The SKT is totally open from County Line Road to Bellefontaine.
"Stay tuned for more alerts, as we do have other trail maintenance projects coming up in the next month." more...
Greenway Eroding into Pigeon Creek
Evansville, IN - "A section of Evansville’s Pigeon Creek Greenway Passage is closed near Garvin Park. The Parks Board tell us the repairs have been a long time coming." more...
Cyclists Call for Veto of Bike Safety Bill
Santa Fe, NM - "...[it] says that a cyclist, when practical, must stay out of a traffic lane 'if a separate posted or painted bicycle lane or pathway is provided within or adjacent to the roadway'..." more
Activists Press Officials to Crack Down on Blocked Bike Lanes
New Orleans, LA - "... Even though I had no knowledge of activists’ efforts to catalogue bike lane blockages, I recently started doing so myself during my 3.4-mile commute..." more
£137M May be Invested in Cycling & Walking Around Manchester
UK - "...If approved, the Bee Network will have resulted in 70 miles of new cycling and walking routes, including 14 miles of Dutch-style segregated cycle lanes, as well as improvements to hundreds of crossings and junctions." more...
- NE: Nebraska biking and walking advocates merge efforts
- CA: Green light for expanded use of electric bikes in Marin County parks
- LA: Green bike lanes grace Broad Street
- CA: Waterloo bike lane causes cyclists concern
- NYC: MTA dismisses Verrazzano Bridge bike proposal
- VA: Could the Richmond region build a 40-mile bike trail from Ashland to Petersburg?
- SD: City Of Sioux Falls Closes Bike Trail System
- TX: Big Spring State Park to introduce new multi-use trails
- MT: Progress for Montana MTB Trails
- GA: Firefly Trail aims to builds community by repurposing former railroads
- NY: Erie Canal Trail will be coming through Frankfort
Cincy Traffic Study
Cincinnati, OH - "...The recommendations are the result of several traffic studies, meant to increase efficiency, improve mobility for everyone – vehicles and pedestrians – and increase pedestrian safety." more...
Rail Trail Transfer Pending Approval
Lewisburg, PA - "Closing on the transfer of the Buffalo Valley Rail Trail could be stalled but not derailed due to a delay in the receipt of necessary documents needed for state approval." more...
Trail Networks and Spines: Key Components to America’s Mobility Future
U.S. - "...'Mobility' is beginning to signify many options for getting around—such as driving a car, taking a train or ride-hailing service, using a scooter or bike or walking to one’s destination." more...
Bike Share Companies are Transforming U.S. Cities
"Residents of major U.S. cities are becoming used to seeing docks for bike sharing programs nestled into parking spaces or next to subway station entrances..." more
8 Cities Taking Steps to Remove Cars
"Cities around the world are starting to see that they’ll be cleaner, healthier, and just better overall if people–not cars–are the priority. more...
- CA: Palo Alto takes bike-share program on another spin
- NYC: Why Is The Queens Boulevard Bike Lane Still In Limbo?
- GA: New bike lane law in Atlanta
- NC: Uptown Charlotte is getting its first permanent, protected bicycle lane
- CAN: What good is a bike lane if someone parks their car on it?
- SD: Sioux Falls closes bike trail, parks ahead of more flooding
- VA: E-bikes Hit the Trails
- OK: City's first bikeway to be backbone of Broken Arrow trail system
- AR: Arkansas River Trail being monitored closely as storm season approaches
- NC: Police ‘actively’ pursuing leads in Winston-Salem greenway stabbing
- OR: Losing the 7th Ave Greenway
- TN: Several Nashville greenways remain closed because of recent flooding
- MD: Baltimore approves dockless scooter and bike rules
Final Leg of Maple Highlands Trail in Place
Chardon, OH - "...the city finally received a purchase agreement from CSX for property needed to finish the final leg of the Maple Highlands Trail that will connect the city with a single trail from north to south through the city." more...
Committee Raising Funds to Connect Rail Trails
Athens, OH - "Half-mile stretch of old railroad bed needed to connect rail-trails in Athens and Washington counties." more...
Fix the Darn Sidewalks
Toledo, OH - "...City council voted recently to spend $1.25 million on rebuilding sidewalks in the city. That money pays for about half the problem..." more
3 Signs Philly Is Getting Serious About Street Safety
Philadelphia, PA - "A few years ago, it seemed like a stretch for the city even to get on board with a Vision Zero safety plan. This month, the initiative is making serious strides." more...
Woman Stabbed While Walking on Greenway
Winston-Salem, NC - "...The suspect left the scene on a scooter..." more
4 States Should Fix Their Unfair Treatment of Peds
"A roaring, 2,000-pound mass of steel careens into human flesh. The victim is jaywalking; the driver is both speeding and texting. Who is at fault?" more...
- CA: 3 arrested in SoCal bike shop robbery
- WA Will Mayor meet the Seattle Council’s downtown bike lane 2019 deadline?
- GA: Brookhaven approves nearly $835K for Peachtree Creek Greenway construction
- SC: Raccoon on Greeneway Trail may have exposed someone in Aiken to rabies
- LA: New Orleans officials visit Spain this week to inspect bike infrastructure
- CA: SF settles with cyclist struck by police car
- GA: New running, biking trails to be constructed along Standing Boy Creek
- IA: City ready to roll on bike trail stencils
- NY: Brooklyn cyclists push local leaders for new bike lanes
- VA: Bike trail lease gets green light from Amherst
- IL: Two robbed at gunpoint near Springfield bike trail
- SD: Electric bikes riding their way into Mitchell
Camp Chase Trail Extension Progress
Bike Lane Coming to North Sharon
Sharon, PA - "City of Sharon officials are optimistic that bicyclists traveling on the city’s future bike lanes will have some extra protection on the path along Sharpsville Avenue." more...
Town in 'Crisis' Over Rail Trail Proposal
Lynnfield, MA - "...Police Chief David Breen told the attentive audience that he received a call on Tuesday about pro and con rail trail signs being stolen from properties." more...
E-Trikes Join Micromobility Movement
"...Gotcha announced its addition of a fourth service mode: the first public electric trike..." more
Cyclists Ride to Protest 'Anti-Biking' Ordinance
PHL - "Dubbed the 'Ride to Liberation,' nearly 600 local cyclists wear black and join a 24-kilometer circuit around the city to push for their right to pedal." more...
- NYC: Cuomo Agrees to 460 More Speed Cams
- CA: Sacramento Plans Crackdown On JUMP Bike And Scooter Parking
- FL: Juice bike share ending after 3 years
- TX: Cycling community concerned over Springfield extension project
- NY: 'Trails Across NY' Advocates For Empire State Trail
- CAN: Woman found dead on Thunder Bay bike path appeared to have been beaten
- TX: Biking trails coming to Big Spring State Park
- CA: Bike Lane Barriers Could Be Coming To LA Streets
- TX: Four Ways to Curb Cycling Dangers in Houston
- NM: Family of man killed by BCSO deputy files lawsuit
- CAN: Toronto to Algonquin Greenway highlighting Brock as tourism zone
- CO: Teen sentenced to 20 years in prison for stabbing jogger
- UK: Campaigners to form ‘people protected bike lane’ on Old Street in protest
- AUS: Let's make Perth cycling-friendly
- IA: Council awards bid in trail project
Mill Creek Trail Extension Progress
Canfield, OH - "Mill Creek MetroParks board of commissioners passed a resolution to enter into negotiations with gas-transmission company EnerVest to complete the park’s bikeway-extension project." more...
West Broad Street to Get Bike Lanes, Lose Parking Spaces
Columbus, OH - "For 28 years, Chuck Sugarman has operated his office furniture retail store at 971 West Broad Street in Franklinton, but he says if a 2020 street reconstruction project happens, it could spell the end for his store." more...
Teen Meets First-Responders
Athens, OH - "A 16-year-old boy is on the mend after he suffered severe injuries when a car struck him on Jan. 5 while riding his bicycle on Ohio Rt. 682, just outside The Plains." more...
Philly Streets "Suck"
Philadelphia, PA - "'Suck' isn’t the usual verb mayors use to describe key elements of the city they govern." more...
Cyclists Under Siege from Bike Lane Blockers
Chicago, IL - "Local bicyclists recently shared stories of being brutally attacked after interacting with drivers who were blocking downtown bike lanes..." more
Bike Tour Founder Killed by Driver
NY - "David Schlichting, 66, who was killed Sunday, organized first Five Boro Bike Tour in 1977." more...
Women Report Sexual Harassment on Bike Paths
Rapid City, SD - "Rapid City police received a number of reports from women runners in recent months saying they have been harassed on a bike path." more...
Protected Bike Lane in SoMa Completed in Record Time
San Francisco, CA - "One week after cyclist Tess Rothstein, 30, was killed by a driver on Howard Street in San Francisco’s South of Market, a protected bike lane on the dangerous stretch was finished in record time." more...
Conditions on the I-205 Path are Unacceptable
Portland, OR - "...Unfortunately [the bike path] been rendered nearly unusable due to an abundance of trash, personal belongings, and makeshift homes that have been built upon it." more...
NYPD Victim-Blaming Compounds Grief
NYC - "...The New York Post quoted unnamed police sources and witnesses as saying Foster was wearing a hood and headphones when she was struck, a claim that her colleague read as insinuating Foster was, in some way, at fault for her own death." more...
- NYC: Family of deceased LIC cyclist blame political process
- D.C.: vets to get free Capital Bikeshare membership
- NYC: Citi Bike to Expand Valet Service
- GA: New Atlanta bike lane law approved; drivers face $100 tickets
- OK: Broken Arrow adding bike lanes to the Rose District
- FL: New multi-use path in North Port
- NV: $25M downtown Las Vegas
- WA: Spokane might eliminate helmet requirements for Lime bikes & scooters
Plan for Cleveland Biking/Running Loop
Cleveland, OH - "...a grassroots proposal to create a formal, high quality recreational loop trail over the Cuyahoga River, connecting downtown and Ohio City via the Detroit-Superior and the Lorain-Carnegie bridges." more...
Towpath Section Closed March 19
Canal Fulton, OH - From starkparks.com, "The trail will be closed between Butterbridge Ave. and Lock 4 Trailhead [a 1.3-mile segment] on March 19, 2019 for tree work along the trail."
Lorain 'Better Block' to Return
Lorain, OH - "This spring, Lorain Better Block will return along with some other opportunities to get out on the streets of Lorain -- with no car needed." more...
Bald Eagle Valley Trail Section Opens Wednesday
Lock Haven, PA - "...The Phase Two section opening Wednesday will unveil a 3.4 mile link along the railroad bed from Castanea and leading to Wayne Township, running along Bald Eagle Creek." more...
New 'Limestone Greenway' Trail Expected This Year
IN - "A new trail south of Bloomington is expected to be complete by the end of the year." more...
Cyclist Robbed on Lafitte Greenway
LA - "A man was hit with a metal bat and robbed of his wallet and cell phone as he was riding his bicycle on the Lafitte Greenway early Sunday morning..." more
$50M Divvy Bike-Share Expansion Proposed
Chicago, IL - "... It would more than double the existing bike fleet by adding 10,500 new bikes and 175 stations, bringing the overall total to 16,500 bikes and 800 stations..." more
- NY: Lime to introduce battery power to White Plains bike share program
- UK: Boris Johnson calls for bike share schemes to collaborate
- UK: New 5,000-strong bike share scheme targets business users
- CA: Plans underway to extend Kern River Bike Trail
- SC: Bypass should be open by summer, with new bike & ped path
- OR: TriMet wants you to combine your bus or MAX trip with Uber, Biketown
Towpath Section Closure in Akron
Summit County, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "The Towpath Trail will be closed between Manchester Rd. and State Route 224 for utility work associated with an Army Corps of Engineers invasive species project.
"The closure begins Tuesday, March 19 and continues through early June 2019."
Stark County Parks Trail Closings
OH - From starkparks.com, Middle Branch Trail: "Maintenance work on a gas line will close a portion of the trail March 18 to March 22. Access will not be available between 55th St. and the southern trail split at Veterans Park during those dates."
Hoover Trail: "A recent construction project to widen Market Ave. has closed the on-road connection to the Hoover Trail at the Market Ave. and Easton St. intersection. The official closing sign is placed at Stone Crossing St. and Marelis Ave."
Mahoning Valley Trail: "A project to construct a new boat launch at Deer Creek Reservoir will close the park until March 25, 2019. Parking for the trail will not be available and access to the park will be closed during construction."
Learn more about Stark County trail construction and closings.
Trail Work Day Along the NCIT
Huron County, OH - From firelandsrailstotrailsinc, "We had another big turnout for today's workday, so we split the crew in two and sent one to dewinterize the Chapin Bridge in Wakeman while the other cut dead trees near Monroeville."
Trail Clearing Along the Kokosing Gap Trail
City Pushes Greenway Extension Over Objections
Jefferson City, MO - "After receiving neighborhood opposition, Jefferson City staff is reviewing alternative plans for extending the greenway trail along Tree Valley Lane, leading to some confusion on the Jefferson City Parks and Recreation Commission." more...
Another Cyclist Dies in Houston
TX - "...He was riding in a bike lane on Heights Boulevard near Eighth Street in the early afternoon when he slid to avoid a Houston ISD bus in the intersection and was crushed by its rear axle..." more
Police Arrest 'Smash and Grab' Burglar at Bike trail
TX - "Officers staking out the hike and bike trail saw a man looking in car windows who matched a suspect description from another robbery last week." more...
- HI: Rental businesses boom along Eastside coastal trail
- NYC: Vigil for Robert Spencer — And More Demands for Bike Lanes
- CAN: Phase five of bike lane project in motion
- GA: The green mile was a path to the St. Patrick’s Day parade
- SC: Driver charged with DUI, homicide after deadly West Ashley collision with bicyclist
- D.C.: Man Arrested for Throwing Beer Can at Cyclist, then Approaching With a Knife
Philly's Deadliest Road Moving Closer to Speed Cameras
PA - "...The 12-lane North Philadelphia road is the city’s most dangerous thoroughfare — 8 percent of fatal and severe crashes in the city between 2013 and 2017 occurred along its 12-mile stretch..." more
Harlem Valley Rail Trail to be Completed in 2020
NY - "Next year, cyclists and pedestrians will be able to travel from Amenia to Copake Falls without dealing with travel or detours." more...
Suspect Arrested in West Ashley Greenway Attack
SC - "Charleston police arrested a man Friday on suspicion of assaulting a woman on the West Ashley Greenway earlier this week." more...
Judge Says Rail Repairs Didn’t Harm Wetlands
Santa Cruz, CA - "...The fight between Greenway and the RTC was a procedural one that arose amid a broader squabble about transportation in a county choked with frequent congestion in its main thoroughfare — Highway 1 between Watsonville and Santa Cruz." more...
Why Skateboarders Can't Skate on Bike Trail
Sacramento, CA - "On the American River bike trail, people can ride their bikes as fast or slow as they want. For some reason though, skateboards are banned." more...
- IL: Active Transportation Alliance defends Emanuel’s bike-sharing deal
- CA: L.A. wants to track your scooter trips
- AUT: Leogang Bike Park Opening 4 New Trails for 2019
- NM: Lawmaker hopes to make New Mexico a destination for 'bike packing'
- TX: Complaints to Austin 311 highlight safety, threat to trails
- CA: Cyclists demand safer streets and protected bike lanes
- CA: Safety Advocates Rip San Fran's Vision Zero Strategy
- MS: Locksley, Blackjack multi-use path projects underway
Olentangy Trail Extensions may Never Meet Up
Columbus, OH - "...there are no current plans to connect the two, which might include a controversial route through the hamlet of Mount Air." more...
Simon Kenton Trail Alerts
SW OH - "There is a temporary closing of the Northern section of the Simon Kenton Trail at the SR 296 intersection. Contractors are installing new RR warning lights and a gate for that crossing..."
"...On Monday, 3/18, the Champaign Co. Highway Dept. Will be removing some very large thorny locust trees on the Northern extension, between the Depot and Lippincott Rd..." more...
Towpath Adopt-A-Trail Program Launched
New Philadelphia, OH - "...This program, which was implemented in 2018, aims to assist with keeping a six-mile section of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail litter-free, brush-free and visually improved." more...
Bicyclist Stuck by SUV Driver
Fairfield Twp., OH - "Fairfield Twp. police cited an 18-year-old woman after her SUV struck a person on a bicycle at Liberty-Fairfield Road and Ohio 4 on Tuesday." more...
Healthy Ride Bike-Share Program Expanding
Pittsburgh, PA - "Pittsburgh’s Healthy Ride bike-share program is expanding..." more
City Honored for Haw Creek People Trail Project
Columbus, IN - "...The honor was given in recognition of the work completed last year by Strand Associates on the Haw Creek People Trail extension, which included the restoration and relocation of a 107-year-old historic steel truss bridge..." more
Police Issue Warning After Brazen Greenway Attacks
Charlotte, NC - "Police are investigating a string of brazen attacks on people out enjoying greenways and walkways in Charlotte." more...
Cyclist Killed Where Locals Asked For A Bike Lane
NYC - "A cyclist was fatally struck by the driver of a black sedan this morning while riding on Borden Avenue in Long Island City..." more
Crazy Anti-Bike Lane Arguments
19-Year-Old Bike Racer Killed
CA - "Tate Meintjes, a 19-year-old rider with Team California, was killed in a car-bike crash on Tuesday." more...
- WI: La Crosse council turns down bike lane ban on Gillette Street
- CAN: Regina unveils plan to implement 94 km of bike lanes and paths
- VA: Norfolk bikeshare program returns to the city
- MA: Twin Cities Rail Trail working for spring 2020 start
- LA: New Orleans bike advocates call for big changes after 2 killed
- OR: Portlanders at ‘die-in’ call on ODOT to end ‘traffic violence’
- CAN: Average age of Toronto pedestrians killed by drivers this year is 65.2
Triplett Valley Trail Phase 1
Morehead, KY - "...The Triplett Valley Trail, essentially an extension of City Park, begins near Bridge Street at the Memorial Tree Walk with the hopes of extending westward into the Clearfield area." more...
Flooding Will Keep Some Nashville Greenways Closed
TN - "Six of Nashville’s greenways remain flooded and partially closed to joggers and bicyclists." more...
Americorps Team Helps Restore Blackwater Creek Trail
VA - "...Members of an Americorps National Civilian Community Corps team are assisting the Lynchburg Parks and Recreation Department with a reroute of the Beaver Trail and installation of new “lily pad” concrete stepping stones..." more
San Fran’s Dangerous Streets
CA - "...Dangerous roads are concentrated in the northeast core of the city — downtown, South of Market and the Tenderloin — as well as major corridors and streets approaching highway entrances..." more
Hot New Thing in Dockless Electric Scooters: Docks
"Cities are desperate to tame the sidewalk chaos of the e-scooter industry. One startup offers a solar-powered parking solution." more...
- IL: Flagg Creek neighbors lament bike path plan
- TX: Organization donates bikes to students, hoping to designate bike lane for bridge
- DE: Bike Lanes Planned for Savannah Road
- OR: Protestors will stage “die-in” at ODOT headquarters today
- OR: Thieves steal seven bikes from Block Bikes in St. Johns
- CA:Body found near American River bike trail identified as 39-year-old woman
- WA: A pedestrian in Seattle wants to know why bicyclists aren't stopping at crosswalks.
- WI: Cottage Grove gets grant for Main Street bike trail
- GA: Atlanta drivers could face $100 fine for parking in bike lanes
- CAN: Cycle Toronto wants city to extend Bloor Street bike lanes
- NC: Carolina Beach opens new 1.2-mile section of Island Greenway
- IL: Divvy's proposed bike expansion
Flooding Damage Closes Trail Section
Heath, OH - "...Most of the over 4-mile-long [Blackhand Gorge] tail will remain open with access permitted from both the east and west parking areas... the flooding of the Licking River has eroded a section of bank and undercut the paved trail, making it necessary to close for visitor safety..." more...
Sandusky Looking for More Bike Share Bikes
Sandusky, OH - "Officials spoke up about possibly bringing a new two-wheeled rental program into Sandusky." more...
Funds Approved for Tredway Trail Expansion
PA - "...Supervisors awarded a $249,000 contract to A. Folino Construction of Oakmont to build the 1.5-mile extension..." more
Woman Assaulted, Beaten on Greenway
SC - "Charleston police officers are stepping up their patrols of the West Ashley Greenway after a woman on Monday evening said she was tackled to the ground and beaten by a stranger after she 'waved and smiled' at the man." more...
City will Revamp Street Where Cyclist Was Killed
San Francisco, CA - "San Francisco transportation officials are extending a section of protected bike lane on Howard Street after a bicyclist was killed last week in a collision with a truck." more...
Teen Driver Kills 3, Gets Probation
GA - "...The charges included second-degree vehicular homicide and distracted driving..." more
Many Pedestrians Getting Killed at Night
"90 percent of the increase in pedestrian deaths over the last 10 years happened at night..." more
Are Self-Driving Cars Really the Future?
"...there are plenty of reasons to believe self-driving, ride-sharing cars will never happen." more...
- NE: Pedestrian deaths spike
- WA: Bill to strengthen ‘Vulnerable User Law,’ revise road sharing rules
- TN: Construction of ‘game-changer’ MJ greenway begins
- SGP: The rise and fall of Singapore's bike-sharing industry
- CA: Stevens Creek Trail repair sheds light on safety concerns
- NY: Trial of NYC Truck Attack Suspect Put on Hold
County Considers Rules for Bike Share & Scooters
Cleveland, OH - "Cuyahoga County is proposing legislation to regulate companies that rent bicycles and scooters by the minute or hour..." more
Protected Bike Lane Coming to 22nd Street
Philadelphia, PA - "During his 2015 election bid, Mayor Jim Kenney touted a promise to build 30 miles of protected bike lanes. Four years later, Philadelphia is still nowhere near that goal. There has been some progress, however..." more
Arlington Tests the Future of Protected Bikeways
VA - "On two streets in Crystal City, Arlington is testing out new ways to separate protected bikeways from cars. If the barriers prove more effective than traditional flexposts, you may see them built elsewhere." more...
Was Tragic Bicycling Death Preventable?
San Francisco, CA - "...The Friday collision occurred less than 100 feet from a protected bike lane..." more
Man Arrested in Connection with Stevens Creek Trail Attack
CA - "The MVPD arrested an individual who beat a woman walking along a local trail..." more
- NC: City Council considers regional bike plan
- MA: Marblehead’s Complete Streets Projects
- MN: Lower Payne to be resurfaced, bike lanes added
- TN: Mt. Juliet breaks ground on new greenway
- D.C.: Is Capital Bikeshare becoming less reliable?
- UK: Beryl announced bike-share operator for Hereford
- LA: Baton Rouge bike share to begin in May
- MD: Ocean City Not Interested In Bikeshare
- CAN: City of Powell River moves to next phase for bike lanes
- NC: Could a 'road diet' on Charlotte Street delay emergency responders?
- CA: SF will remove parking along Howard Street where cyclist died
- NYC: Residents, business owners say street redesign creating more problems
- CO: Condemnation never threatened to build Animas River Trail north
- GA: ‘Complete streets’ plans move forward
- WA: Seattle traffic deaths and injuries down slightly last year
New Ohio E-Bike Law Takes Effect
Athens, OH - "A little-publicized new law in Ohio will have impacts that could change the way people ride bicycles on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway, the Ohio University campus, and around Athens city and county." more...
Cincy has 'Top-Notch' Infrastructure?
Cincinnati, OH - "In a new study by Livability, Cincinnati ranked No. 25 out of 100, and while we can't argue that Cincinnati is a great place to live, there are some questions about the infrastructure score." more...
Budget Proposal Includes $200M for Repaving Streets
Philadelphia, PA - "...Under the city's Capital Program — which is a plan for investing in Philly's physical and technological infrastructure — the mayor is looking to invest in things like streets, public facility renovations, sanitation, parks, water, and transit." more...
Traffic Enforcement in Michigan
MI - "Police in Detroit, Kalamazoo and Warren will be on the lookout next week for jaywalkers and bad drivers." more...
Woman Found Dead near American River Bike Trail
CA - "...A passerby reported to park rangers before 12:30 p.m. that they had found a body..." more
Putting Scooters in Their Place
"Lyft thinks e-scooters are overdue for a docking system of their own." more...
Dockless Bike Share Doesn't Threaten Docked Bikes
"Dockless bikes are complementing their docking elders in some cities..." more
U.S. Olympic Medalist Kelly Catlin Dies at Age 23
"...VeloNews reported that Catlin's father, Mark, said in a letter to the publication that she died on Friday night at her home in California. Her father told the publication that she died by suicide." more...
- MA: Transport plan would lower speed limits, increase fees...
- ESP: Closing Central Madrid To Cars Resulted In 9.5% Boost To Retail Spending
- OR: Advocates say it’s a perfect time to invest in ‘Safe Routes to the Slough’
- MN: Wayzata extends bike trail through downtown
- MA: Bike path linking Tiverton, Fall River in the works
- MA: Massachusetts Central Rail Trail part of renaissance
- FL: Man learns bike lane is not for scooters
- CA: ‘Road Diet’ In Mar Vista Is Causing Driver Frustration
- MO: Small Alligator Found on Greenways Trail
- LA: Brusly rolling out bike share program to promote westbank recreation
- IND: Have bike-sharing firms hit a dead end in India?
- MD: Local association aims to extend Thurmont Trolley Trail
Noblesville Begins Work on Trail Extension
IN - "...Noblesvllle will raze about 190 trees to clear a path for the mile-long, third phase of the Midland Trace Trail..." more
Berrien gets Behind Marquette Trail Project
MI - "Berrien County officials are offering their support for extending a biking and hiking trail that starts in Chicago, from the Indiana state line to New Buffalo..." more
City Leaders Call For More Protected Bike Lanes
San Francisco, CA - "City leaders are calling for more protected bicycle lanes along San Francisco's Howard Street after a female bicyclist died Friday morning in a collision with a vehicle in the city's South of Market neighborhood." more...
- NC:Gateway Trail draws praise on 10th anniversary
- CA: Council rejects appeal of Venice Boulevard Great Streets project
- NY: NYC's Dockless Bike Program Gets 3 More Months
- NH: Resident blasts Zagster bike program
Xenia-Jamestown Connector Work Begins March 11
Jamestown, OH - "Greene County Parks & Trails (GCP&T) will be closing the Xenia-Jamestown Connector between Waynesville-Jamestown Road/S. Maple Street and SR 72/Limestone Street, [in] Jamestown, beginning as early as Monday, March 11, for brush removal in preparation for full-depth restoration of the paved trail.
"Full-depth restoration paving for the Xenia-Jamestown Connector will begin in April and should be completed by May." more...
Connecting Cleveland Trails
OH - "...you can begin to see some progress on the Cleveland Lakefront Bikeway Connector, which will connect the Cleveland Foundation Centennial Trail Lake Link to the Cleveland Lakefront Bikeway at 25th Street. In the next few weeks, work will begin on the Canal Basin Park Connector..." more
Heartland Trail Brush Clean Up
Wayne County, OH - "...Ten volunteers spent several hours cleaning up fallen and cut trees on the Heartland Trail..." more
Friends of the Little Miami E-News
Miami Valley, OH - Read the latest edition
Lower Saucon OKs Class 1 E-Bikes on Rail Trail
PA - "Following Hellertown borough’s lead, Lower Saucon Township Council voted 4-1 Wednesday to allow Class 1 eBikes to be used on its section of the Saucon Rail Trail." more...
500 Bike Racks for Covington
KY - "Check our first installed bike rack. 1st of up to 500..." more
Smoother Riding on Rio Grande Trail
CO - "...Pitkin County Open Space and Trails and Roaring Fork Transportation Authority are planning to replace the decking on three pedestrian bridges in the midvalley." more...
Community Outraged After Cyclist is Killed
San Francisco, CA - "...According to witnesses, she was cycling down Howard Street when a driver of a parked vehicle opened a door. Rothstein apparently swerved to avoid the door, placing her in the path of the truck that ran her over." more...
- VA: Newly Revised Cycling Infrastructure Plan Cuts Some Proposed Trails
- MN: $2.3M in federal funds targeted at trail, roundabouts
- NH: Senate OKs trail advisory committee
- CO: Bike lanes: Which side are you on?
- CA: City Council rejects appeal of Venice Boulevard Great Streets project
- FL: Collier officials adopt plan making cyclist safety a priority
- NC: Cary, Apex, Wake leaders officially open new stretch of greenway
- NC: Bill Would Force Cyclists to Register Their Bikes
- OR: 30 ‘shared bicycle and pedestrian’ bus stations are coming
- WA: JUMP now reaches Seattle city limits, undercuts Lime by $1
Bucyrus Drops Proposed Bike Lanes
OH - "The proposed bike lanes along North Sandusky Avenue are no longer being considered..." more
Ohio Looks to Regulate Scooters
"The bill specifies that motorized scooters -- such as those run by Bird and Lime -- will be regulated at the state level." more...
Riding Thru Ohio on the NCIT
City Looks to Rezone Land for Trailhead
Columbus, IN - "...If the rezoning request is approved on final reading by the council, the parks department said its goal is to create a new trailhead on the property to connect the nearby neighborhood to the People Trail." more...
Researchers Evaluate Impact of Rail Trails
WV - "An effort to expand a multiuse rail-to-trail network throughout the Industrial Heartland is drawing on the expertise and work of faculty at the West Virginia University Health Research Center." more...
No Charges for Uber Killing Pedestrian
"Arizona prosecutors said Tuesday that they had not found evidence to charge Uber with a crime in connection with an accident in which one of its autonomous cars hit and killed a pedestrian..." more
Harley-Davidson Buys StaCyc
Milwaukee, WI - "Harley-Davidson Inc. has acquired StaCyc Inc., a producer of electric balance bikes for kids." more...
- KS: Bike Share ICT hosts ribbon-cutting ceremony at WSU
- FL: E-scooters in Tallahassee? Not right now say commissioners
- MD: Annapolis Partnership Grant Funds Bike-Friendly Sharrows
- TX: Grand jury to decide fate of bus driver after cyclist's death
- NJ: Study Suggests Newark Add More Bike Lanes
- WI: Two bike paths in eastern Dane County getting closer
- CT: Naugatuck River Greenway Trail: Tensions High at Trail Hearing
- MA: Bike path linking Tiverton, Fall River in the works
- WI: Hate speech found along Milwaukee bike path
- CA: Marin County bicycling boosts economy but locals worry about impacts
Plans to Rebuild Henderson Road in UA
Upper Arlington, OH - "The first reconstruction of Henderson Road in 54 years will take place this spring and will include new accommodations for pedestrians and cyclists." more...
Route Considered for New Bike Trail
MI - "...According to organizers with TART Trails, the planning process is part of the larger Traverse City to Charlevoix Trail project..." more
Director Misses Boat on Complete Streets
MD - "Planners in Montgomery County want to make Veirs Mill into a Complete Street, with BRT, sidewalks, a grade-separated crossing of the Matthew Henson Trail and a bikeway; but Montgomery County Council Deputy Director Glenn Orlin, in a memo to the Planning, Housing, and Economic Development Committee says that will all be too expensive and will make driving worse." more...
Will Electric Bikes Catch on in LA?
CA - "Two e-bike companies are competing in LA’s crowded scooter market." more...
Dockless Trikes and Tiny Cars
"A new class of dockless electric vehicles is poised to hit city streets. In general, they can go faster and farther than existing bikes, e-bikes and scooters." more...
Child's Body Found Near Hiking Trail
CA - "Southern California homicide detectives need help identifying a young child whose body was found partially in a duffel bag near a hiking trail on Tuesday." more...
- CA: Horrible Week for Vision Zero Casts Shadow over S.F.
- GA: panel says highway-capping ‘Stitch’ project could cost $452M
- OR: TriMet will break ground on Gideon Overcrossing this spring
- OR: New section of Springwater will come with 10 new stop signs
- WA: Family of Derek Blaylock files suit
- SC: Concerns raised about trail reconstruction
- IRE: Greenway may see extension from Clonakilty to Courtmac
- TX: Texas A&M donates over 600 ofo bikes to community
- FL: Drivers concerned about traffic in Tequesta after bike lanes added
- LA: Bicycle advocates in New Orleans push for changes to lanes after deadly crash
- AZ: Flagstaff seeks gold as a bike friendly community
- CAN: Edmonton rolls out ‘groundbreaking’ pedestrian-friendly rebuild
- CA: Breed targets bureaucracy in effort to improve SF ped safety
- NY: Slopers remember young victims on anniversary of deadly crash
- MA: New bike path through Fall River, Tiverton in the works
- IL: Channahon bike, walking path connections prove difficult to design
- D.C.: Former trolley line is close to becoming a walking and biking trail
Developer Selected for Site Next to Red Line Greenway
Philly Establishing Neighborhood Slow Zones
Philadelphia, PA - "Two Philadelphia neighborhoods in the lower Northeast will be the first to get special features that slow down traffic in an effort to reduce car crashes and improve pedestrian safety." more...
Silver Comet Trail Extension to Atlanta
AL - "In the not too distant future, Atlantans cycling down the Beltline could potentially make a wrong turn and find themselves in Alabama." more...
Driver Sentenced 7.5 Years for Hit-and-Run Killing
WA - "...When it was Susan Hayden’s turn to address [King County Superior Court Judge Laura] Inveen, she talked about the day her husband went out on his last bike ride." more...
Are Our Streets Dangerous by Design?
FL - "...Florida remains at the top of the list for most dangerous states for pedestrian travel..." more
9 Shared-Mobility Startups
"Nine upstarts pitched ideas to advance the booming shared-mobility industry Thursday in Chicago..." more
- SC: Why S.C. must enact bills that would protect pedestrians, cyclists
- OR: Congressman Blumenauer seeks to re-instate bike commuter tax break
- TX: Injuries prompt CDC investigation into e-scooters
- WI: Plans for New London area trails moving along
- VA: New grants revitalizing downtown Narrows
- CA: One size does not fit all when it comes to bike lanes
- CAN: Protected bike lanes on Dundas, King approved by council
- NYC: Queens cops launch weeklong traffic ticket blitz
- WI: 4 local communities receive funding for bike trails
- WA: Uber’s JUMP bike-share now serving all Seattle neighborhoods
- NY: Reddy Bikeshare coming to Niagara Falls
- FL: Naples bicyclist hit and killed by car while riding in bike lane
- WI: Bike Lane Ban Rejected
More Fury Over NYPD Ticket Blitzes
NYC - "...The morning after Aurilla Lawrence was run down by the still-unapprehended truck driver on Broadway near Rodney Street in Williamsburg, cyclists were again targeted by cops..." more
Cross Country Trail Will Pass Thru Iowa
Cedar Rapids, IA - " The Cedar Valley Nature Trail, which passes through Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Cedar Falls, would be one of 12 gateway trails that would anchor a proposed 4,000-mile national bike trail..." more
Bike Share Companies Pivoting to E-Scooters
"Following ridership trends, Lime and other startups turn away from bicycles." more...
Netherlands E-Bike Sales are Strongest
NLD - "There are now more e-bikes sold in The Netherlands than non-electric bikes..." more
- FL: Community activists want transit options, not just highways
- CAN: Sidewalk Labs unveils heated sidewalks
- OR: High schooler clings to life after collision
- CAN: Committee backs more Saskatoon bike lanes and sidewalks
- CA: MV Police arrest suspect in creek trail attack
- LA: After Esplanade Avenue deaths, bicycle advocates push for protection
- CA:San Diego Sued Over Scooters On Sidewalks
- WA: Spokane to launch new 'Shared Mobility program'
- NV: Electric bikes available in downtown Las Vegas for 2 week pilot program
- CAN: Downtown Saskatoon bike lane should move over
- CAN: Transportation committee votes for $4.6M bike lane plan
- UT: Provo adds bike lanes to Bulldog Blvd
- FL: Delray Beach neighborhood fights proposed bike lanes and sidewalks
- TX: Killeen city officials say trail will be complete next year
- FL: Bridge over Sawgrass expressway could provide Everglades access
Big Response for Indiana Rec Trail Grants
Indianapolis, IN - "...42 of Indiana's 92 counties filed applications in the grant program's first round. They're seeking nearly $144 million for more than 240 potential trail miles." more...
No Liability for Michigan DOT in Cycling Deaths
MI - "...They were killed in 2016 when a 76-year-old driver hit them from behind." more...
Installing HAWK Signals for Ped Safety
AZ - "...Motorists, they stop for pedestrians who are in HAWK crossings..." more
Design Guide Helped Change U.S. Bike Infrastructure
"A movement has brought safer bicycle lanes to the United States. But it took a manual to spread them." more...
- HI: Hawaii tops the nation for rise in pedestrian fatalities
- OR: Number of pedestrian traffic deaths is decreasing in Pacific Northwest
- CAN: London's latest bike-lane battleground?
- NH: Cyclist’s family questions fatal bike-vehicle crash charges
- CT: Lime offering refunds to bike-share users in Hartford
- CAN: Kelowna bullish on bike-sharing after successful first summer
- ESP: Barcelona’s bike-share system is updated and extended
- CA: Missing girls found in woods
Group Hoping to Repair Sunken Path
Beulah, MI - "The Friends of the Betsie Valley Trail group is hedging its bets and applying for two grants to reconstruct a 1.5-mile section of the trail." more...
$60K Grant Helps to Extend Trail Network
WV - "...The New River Gorge Trail Alliance, which began planning a 500-mile network of linked existing trails, new connector trails, and lightly traveled roads in 2016, is the recipient of the grant..." more
Land Deals Mark Progress in Greenway Project
Grand Haven, MI - "Efforts are moving forward on the Grand River Greenway trail project in western Michigan with newly announced agreements to acquire additional land." more...
Driver Runs Over Cyclists
New Orleans, LA - "Suspect charged and believed to have been impaired at time speeding vehicle careered into bicycle lane." more...
Suspect Arrested for Stevens Creek Trail Attack
CA - "Mountain View police have made an arrest in a violent attack on a woman walking along the Stevens Creek Trail." more...
- AL: Miles of hiking and biking trails coming to nearby park
- CO: Construction to begin on Animas River Trail north extension
- TX: Valley bike-share plan is now a go
- AUS: Driver Gets In Trouble For Yelling at Cycling Cops
- OR: Bicycle rider struck and killed on NE Killingsworth
Man Pleads Guilty to Rapes Along Berlin Lake Trail
Ravenna, OH - "...Shawn Michael Wendling, 38, pleaded guilty to two counts of rape, two counts of kidnapping and one count of felonious assault..." more
Eminent Domain Battle for GOLTRG Trail Land
Mahoning County, OH - "...How would you like it if someone came to you and said, ‘I am taking your land and I do not care if you do not want to sell it'..." more
Volunteer Work Day on NCIT
Huron County, OH - "We had so many volunteers show up at today's workday in Collins that we ended up splitting into two separate groups..." more
Development Agreement Disses Bikes
Covington, KY - "...Former city councilman Jason Reser questioned why the proposed pathway along Amsterdam Road was reduced to five or six feet rather than the previous eight as part of an effort to accommodate cyclists..." more
Plans to Install Car Charger in Path of Future Bikeway
Seattle, WA - "Seattle is about to invest to build a public car charger directly in the path of the on-hold Broadway Bikeway extension north or Denny Way." more...
Public Lands Act would Protect & Expand MTB Trails
"Congress this week passed a package of bills increasing environmental protections and trail access on public lands..." more
Protected Bike Lane Network Should be Priority
CAN - "Imagine an inexpensive transportation technology that provides fast, door-to-door service, reduces road congestion, and requires no parking spaces..." more
- CA: Police release sketch of trail attack suspect
- CAN: 2019 Toronto Bike Share Expansion
- MO: Changes coming to Armour Boulevard after complaints
- NY: Cyclist Killed After Tanker Drives Over Her
- CO: Work on northern extension of Animas River Trail set to begin
- MA: ‘Fed up’ cyclists send letter to Uber, Lyft
- VA: I-66 toll lane bike trail layout comes into focus
- GA: GDOT set to strip ‘suicide lanes’ from part of Memorial Drive
- IRE: Close shaves at Burrishoole greenway crossing
Downed Trees Cleared from Cannonball Trail
Wayne County, OH - Read the latest edition.
Most Residents Support Making Bike Lanes Permanent
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia’s Office of Transportation, Infrastructure, and Sustainability issued a report Thursday evaluating the progress of the ongoing Market Street and John F. Kennedy Boulevard bike lane pilot project." more...
Citi Bike's Massive E-Bike Expansion
NYC - "But they come with a price hike: The e-bikes will cost riders an extra $2 per trip." more...
Bike Share Toronto gets $7.5M Expansion
CAN - "Despite ongoing operating deficits, the Bike Share program will be getting $7.5 million to purchase new equipment following a recommendation from city staff." more...
- MD: Scooters To Be Added to Bike-Share Rental Program
- CAN: Cyclists celebrate Sutherland Ave. bike lane construction
- MO: Neighbors’ concerns prompt parking changes near bike lanes
- GA: Lawmakers seek to regulate electric bikes and scooters
- NY: $11M Onondaga Lake trail extension includes 1,000-foot bridge
- CO: Trails grant adds $150,000 for Midland Hill system
- CA: Last-minute Napa Vine Trail solution found
- CT: Middletown advocates push for Newfield Corridor trail
- NJ: New Burlington County adding biking miles
- TX: Thieves target cars at hike and bike trails and parks
- VA: As highways expand in Fairfax, so will some of the bike paths
- NJ: Northern Valley Greenway, Extension To Clarke Rail Trail
- CA: how South County San Diego can end traffic deaths
- NV: Las Vegas Gambles on a 'Smart City' Technology Makeover
- OR: Activists and students collaborate with PBOT
- WY: Governor signs three-class e-bike law
Ravenna Looks to Repeal Bike Licenses
OH - "...Ravenna is looking to repeal its longtime law requiring cyclists to register their bicycles with the city’s police department..." more
Athens Trail Spur to be Elevated
More on Troy Bike Lane Changes
Troy, OH - "...the cost of the project is anticipated to be less than $25,000 and the project will not be finished until late May or early June..." more
Williams County Adopts Active Transportation Plan
OH - "...the Active Transportation Plan is intended to make it safer to bike or hike in Williams County — on trails or on roadways..." more
TraIls Planned to Extend Greenfield Walkability
IN - "The city hopes to secure about $1.7 million in grant funding to build more than 2 miles of trails over the next few years, expanding the connectivity of Greenfield parks and pathways." more...
Truck Driver Charged with Vehicular Homicide
PA - "Criminal charges have been filed against the driver of the trash truck that struck and killed a 24-year-old cyclist in Center City, more than a year after the woman's death..." more
Scooter Companies Hope to be Street Legal by Summer
PA - "... the e-scooter lobby has rolled into Pennsylvania in force." more...
Lime E-Scooter Brake Problems
"The problem tends to happen when riders are flying downhill and hit a bump." more...
Bike Commuters Are Dying in Record Numbers
U.S. - "According to the League of American Bicyclists, more cyclists died on U.S. roads in 2016 than at any other time in the past quarter-century..." more
REI Begins Sales of Cannondale & Bontrager
Seattle, WA - " REI Co-op says it's targeting the bike category for growth with the addition of Cannondale bikes and parts & accessories from the Trek-owned Bontrager brand..." more
Insurance Institute to Test for Pedestrian Protection
"Next year we will know which vehicles are best at not killing pedestrians." more...
- NYC: Barnacle Bike Was Likely In The Hudson River
- CA: Woman seriously injured in attack on Stevens Creek Trail
- CA: San Diego docked bike-share doldrums
- NY: Seriously, How Many People Are Throwing Citi Bikes in the Hudson?
- KS: Mopac Trail Extension: A definite maybe
- CA: Building of $1 million trail along Santa Ana River
- CA: Completion Of Newhall Ranch Road Bridge Extension
- CA: Redwood City pedestrian, bike plans hit obstacle
- WA: City officials say electric vehicle charging station won’t pit Teslas vs. bikes
- TX: 2 Tyler roads named has high priority for bike lane, sidewalk project
- VA: Roanoke River Greenway gap now down to single mile in city
- TX: new 4.2 mile hike, bike trail set to open in spring
- TX: Cyclists identify dangerous crossing on Walnut Creek Bike Trail
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Northbound Guide
Columbus Selects State Street Project Contractor
IN - "...The project will provide a pedestrian connection from the east side of the city to downtown Columbus. A 10-foot-wide multi-use trail will be added..." more
Traffic Enforcement in Philly
Philadelphia, PA - "Police crackdowns against bad motorists increased last year in Philadelphia, while pedestrian and bicycle enforcement declined, according to statistics..." more
NYPD's Crusade Against Cyclists
"New York City may make headlines for its Vision Zero initiative and its ever-growing bicycle infrastructure network, but the police department's treatment of cyclists can be downright draconian." more...
Cyclist Punches Aggressive Driver
"...Footage out of Singapore this week shows what can happen when an irate driver leaves the relative safety of their vehicle to physically threaten a person on a bike..." more
House Passes Landmark Public Lands Bill
U.S. - "...The Natural Resources Management Act is widely hailed by outdoor recreation and conservation groups, including PeopleForBikes." more...
Critics Vow to Block Sidewalk Labs'
CAN - "Ever since Sidewalk Labs announced its plan to develop a Toronto neighborhood “from the Internet up” in 2017, the Google sister company has faced consistent criticism, locally and abroad...." more
New Formula Determines Which Streets Need Bike Lanes
"...researchers have developed a formula to determine which roads have more “unsafe passing incidents”—a formula that urban planners can hopefully use to determine which roads need designated bike lanes." more...
- FL: Protesters demand downtown Miami streets be made safer
- CA: Jump Bikes more popular than Uber?
- MA: Petition Calls for Protected Bike Lanes
- WA: A Bold New Waterfront is Coming to Seattle Soon
- TN: Wolf River Greenway in Germantown remains closed due to flooding
- WI: Bike committee suggests shift in Mississippi River Trail
- MO: Jackson County hiking and biking trail in jeopardy
- CA: Another Study on Dumbarton Rail
- CAN: Charlottetown residents voice concerns over proposed bike lane
- CA: New middle avenue “bike lanes” should please everyone
- MA: Quincy will use grant money to narrow roads, build bike paths
- UK:'Oxford cycling city' sign just metres from flooded bike path
- MO: Northeast residents concerned with Bike KC’s Master Plan
- MD: Baltimore wants to extend pilot program for scooters
Olde Muskingum Trail Closure
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "A power line is down near the High Mill Bridge and has closed the trail until further notice."
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Work Begins On Border To Border Trail Section
MI - "...The Border to Border Trail is a non-motorized 10-foot wide paved trail with boardwalks that runs through Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor and Dexter..." more
Wheeling Unveils Bike Share Program
WV - "Starting this spring, Wheeling residents will have a new way to exercise and get around town through the first citywide 'bike share' program in West Virginia." more...
Missing Citi Bike Found Covered in Barnacles
NY - "A missing Citi Bike mysteriously reappeared in Manhattan on Saturday." more...
Bike Lane Debate Draws Overflow Crowd
Colorado Springs, CO - "Advocates for and opponents against roadway bike lanes overflowed seating and even standing room at a community forum on the topic Monday night..." more...
Parklets for Profit?
CA - "...The pair both agreed that the parklet is a smart business move, adding space for outdoor dining." more...
Bike Companies Steering Around Tariffs
U.S. - "...But Kent and other bike makers don’t have to move their manufacturing operations to the United States to avoid tariffs - nor do they have to stop using Chinese parts." more...
Bikes are Climate Action
U.S. - "The future belongs to bikes, and the future is coming up very fast." more...
Japan to Run Train for Bike Commuters
JPN - A Japanese railway company unveiled a special train with room for nearly 100 passengers and their bikes..." more
- OR: North Fessenden & 82nd claimed more victims last night
- WA: Man killed biking across Rainier Ave
- MO: State Rep. to file bill for Rock Island Trail funds
- MA: Minuteman Bikeway extension to reach Concord line
- GA: Big focus remains on Silver Comet Trail
- VA: ‘Hit and runs’ along Franklin Street bike lane stretch up by nearly 78%
- CAN: Vancouver to rethink bike lanes-parking plan
- GA: E-scooters and bicycles need their own lanes in Atlanta
- IL: New student-run bike share program to debut on campus
- ME:Jump Is the Only Bike-Share Bidder in Portland
- CA: Most Expansive Regional Bike Share System To Date
- CA: Metro to Add Bike Share Stations in Silver Lake, Echo Park
- CA: City begins building Mojave Riverwalk
- AR: Construction On Bike Trail Tunnels Underway In Bella Vista
Mahoning Valley Trail Closed
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Two separate projects have closed the entire Mahoning Valley Trail until further notice..." more
National Trail Would Pass Thru Stark County
Canton, OH - "...The proposed trail would cross a dozen states — including Northeast Ohio and Stark County — and comprise more than 3,500 miles of trail, half of which already exist." more...
Statewide Bike Trail to End at Lighthouse Park
MI - "...It’s an end-point already selected in a much larger local effort to connect regional trails over the last few months..." more
Search Underway For Driver Who Struck, Killed Bicyclist
Los Angeles, CA - "...it’s the second fatal accident involving a bicyclist in the same neighborhood this month..." more
Using Streets as Pedestrian Spaces
"..."some communities are shifting back, reclaiming asphalt for pedestrian use, often with innovative policies to make streets truly shared spaces." more...
Trump Tweets He Will Delay Tariff Increase
U.S. - "According to tweets sent out from the account of President Donald Trump Sunday, the U.S. will delay an increase in tariff rates on Chinese goods, initially set to happen on March 1." more...
Lime not Getting Rid of Bikes in Calgary
CAN - "Lime, the company behind Calgary’s bike-share pilot program, isn’t getting rid of its bikes here despite news of it removing them in favour of electric scooters in several U.S. cities." more...
- AR: Trails leave some residents feeling flat
- NYC: Bicyclist Causes Accident, Blames Cab
- CA: Big Changes Considered for 101 Through Eureka
- MN: Board reviews plan for segment of Central Greenway Regional Trail
- TN: Our problem is not electric scooters, it's Nashville's lagging infrastructure
More Discussion on Proposed Solon Trail
Solon, OH - "...the city will pay for an engineering and design study to get a more precise estimate on what the trail's construction would cost, and what effects it might have in particular on homeowners' properties which would bound it." more...
Dublin Bike/Ped Bridge Construction
Dublin, OH - "...The bridge will be 760-foot total length by 14 foot wide. The bridge deck is “S” shaped in plan with a radius of 500 [feet] and is anchored into the earth at the embankments..." more
Grant Funds 8-County Trail System Study
WVA - "The New River Gorge Trail Alliance has received a $60,000 grant from the Appalachian Regional Commission to study the expansion of a bike trail system across a large part of southern West Virginia." more...
Extending the Tredway Trail in Allegheny Twp.
PA - "Work on a 1.5-mile extension of the Tredway recreational trail in Allegheny Township is expected to start at the end of April and be completed in August." more...
Bill Would Redefine Bike Lanes
OR - "...by clarifying that bike lanes continue through intersections even if their markings don’t." more...
Researchers Examine Opposition to Cycle Lanes
NZL - "...The team observed that opposition to bike lanes often erupted only when lanes were being built, when planners and bike lane supporters had assumed the job was done." more...
The Scooter Scourge
"Are motorized scooters a dangerous urban plague or the future of local transportation?.." more
- IL: VeoRide set to bring out new bikes
- CAN: Separated bike lanes on the way
- FL: Work underway on Heritage Trail, Park
- WI: Dane County Board approves Cambridge bike path grant
- PHL: Pia bikes in Pampanga to promote health, sustainable transport
- IA: Downtown master plan comes into focus
Bike Lane Relocation Underway
Troy, OH - "After review of the Adams Street bike lane operations near the intersection of Riverside Drive, city of Troy crews have begun the work to relocate a portion of the lane off of the roadway ..." more
Related: City Council member wants bike lanes removed.
Connecting Ohio-to-Erie Trail Gaps in Delaware County
OH - "...DCFT would like to see the 16 miles of trail in the county become connected on the map in a solid line, instead of the dotted segments there currently are..." more
New Look at Olentangy Corridor Ideas
Columbus, OH - "The latest plans for a west campus “innovation district” have inspired planners at Ohio State University to take a new look at where recreation facilities are located and how they can better be aligned with the Olentangy River." more...
East Lansing sets Sights on Trails
MI - "East Lansing community members are calling for the extension of recreational trails for better transportation and an improved environment. " more...
Funding to Expand Bike Trail
WV - "The New River Gorge Trail Alliance (NRGTA) announced that it has received a $60,000 technical assistance grant from the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) to continue building a regionally-connected bike trail system in southern West Virginia." more...
Citizens Fighting Against Complete Streets
St. Petersburg, FL - "...Some residents are mad that the plan includes eliminating some traffic lanes to make way for the safety changes." more...
U.S. Behind on Road Safety
"...Today, new safety ratings from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) highlight some fantastic progress, but also show just how far behind the United States has fallen on road and vehicle safety." more...
Olympian Cyclist & Son Have Run-In with Driver
UK - "Jason Kenny said a van driver nearly ran over him and his 18-month-old son while they were out on a bike ride." more...
- GA: Savannah’s first green bike lane nears completion
- CA: Richmond-San Rafael Bridge repairs to delay bike lane opening
- CAN: City of Victoria to spend more money to fast-track bike lanes
- UK: Mystery cycle lane flower protest uprooted
- IRE: Uber’s e-bike plan for Dublin rejected on safety grounds
- OR: Advocates see Highway 30 paving project as chance for safer bicycling
- IRE: Council is refused access to carry out South Kerry Greenway test works
- AR: New cycling guide includes Fort Smith trails
- WY: Legislature approves three-class e-bike law
Towpath Section Closing Feb. 25
Barberton, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "The Towpath Trail from Manchester Road to Snyder Avenue will be closed weekdays from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. for up to three weeks while the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers begins work to prepare for the installation of Asian carp barriers."
Iron Horse Trail Clearing Work
Stark County, OH - "Crews will be cleaning up several areas and clearing brush beginning March 31, 2019 to make way for the 10-foot-wide bike and pedestrian trail..." more
Fulton Road Updates
Cleveland, OH - "...Councilman Kerry McCormack as well as residents are concerned about the removal of 3 street lights for good reason..." more
Great Lake-to-Lake Trails will Connect Paths Throughout State
MI - "A presentation on the Great Lake-to-Lake Trails project, which is a plan to connect all the non-motorized riding trails in Michigan, was recently presented to the members of the Richmond City Council." more...
More Cities Clearing Sidewalks of Snow
U.S. - "...Clearing streets of snow is a non-negotiable priority for public agencies, but safe routes for pedestrians are left to a piecemeal private system that mostly fails." more...
States May Forfeit $1B in Biking & Walking Funding
"States across the country are at risk of forfeiting up to $1 billion in funding for sidewalk construction, bike trails or other important safety projects — if they don’t use all the federal cash by September, according to the League of American Bicyclists." more...
Driver Who Wrote Non-Apology Letter May Avoid Court
"The driver who struck a 10-year-old cyclist last fall and then wrote a sarcastic, victim-blaming apology letter may walk away from the case facing no consequences." more...
Delivery Robots Want a Share of the Sidewalk
"As automated delivery ramps up, cities must decide how to make the best use of public spaces." more...
- GA: Atlanta aims to beef up scooter regulations as injuries abound
- HI: Mayor unveils pedestrian safety measures
- UK: Citymapper wants to simplify public transport with a weekly subscription
- TX: TxDOT To Distribute $19 Million For Bike And Pedestrian Projects
- UK: One lane closed on A12 after cyclist falls off bike
- UK: Is it the end for Britain's dockless bike schemes?
- IL: Rockford says goodbye to Lime bikes
- VA: Next phase of Thalia Creek Greenway underway
- NY: County, town of Lake George looking to get snowmobiles off bike path
Projects Involve 700 Acres of Farmland West of I-270
Columbus, OH - "Two large development projects with contrasting approaches have been proposed for land that sits on the western edge of metropolitan Columbus." more...
Driver Hits Man in Wheelchair
Indianapolis, IN - "...people who live nearby say they'd feel a lot safer if there were some sidewalks they could use instead of being forced to walk along the street." more...
More Bike Path Projects Coming this Year
Goshen, IN - "It’s looking like 2019 will be another busy year for city road and trail projects." more...
Next Step for More Philly Bike Lanes
Philadelphia, PA - "Cyclists in Philadelphia may be seeing more bike lanes added to three high-traffic streets in the near future." more...
D.C. Moves to Keep Cars Out of Bike Lanes
D.C. - "Planning officials are advancing stricter public-space regulations under the city’s Vision Zero initiative." more...
- TN: Uber electric 'JUMP' scooters roll into Nashville
- CAN: Toronto cyclists remove snow from bike lanes
- OR: Project will route thousands of cars and trucks onto popular bike routes
- OR: Scooter company reps scolded by Oregon legislators over helmet law proposal
- MO: Bike lanes need more attention
- CAN: Less talk urged to speed completion of Victoria bike-lane network
- TX: Lyft Scooters Hit San Antonio Streets
- GA: Efforts under way to add 25-mile bicycle trail to Standing Boy Creek wildlife area
- CA: Volunteer group to add a mile of trail to Dragoon Gulch
- NYC: Drivers, Cyclists Say Incomplete Bike Lane In Brooklyn Is Safety Hazard
- WA: Veterans Center: We may close because of bike lane
- CA: Bicycle Laws In California May Change
- CA: Lime to pull bikes
- VT: Burlington Rolls Out E-Bikes and E-Scooters
- TX: Cyclist warns of dangerous new bike trail in North Austin
- NH: Southern leg of Granite State Rail Trail nearing completion
- NC: Macon, Franklin work on greenway connection
- CA: Richmond ‘Ferry to Bridge to Greenway Complete Streets Plan’ unveiled
- VA: Ribbon Cutting For New Roanoke River Greenway Section
Wheel Chair User Struck 3 Times by Drivers
Cincinnati, OH - "...During a 10-month period, the social services worker, partially paralyzed since birth, been struck by drivers on three occasions trying to reach his downtown Cincinnati office. The drivers were found at fault in all three cases." more...
The Vision for the Nickel Plate Trail
Fishers, IN - "...The Nickel Plate Trail master planning committee in Fishers unveiled its vision for the 4.5-mile greenway with a draft of the trail's 21-year master plan Monday evening during a City Council meeting." more...
Sun Trail Path Construction to Begin
FL - "Construction is about to start on a statewide bike path, running right through parts of Southwest Florida." more...
Teens Arrested for Silver Comet Trail Robbery
GA - "Two teens are behind bars in connection with an armed robbery that happened last month on the Silver Comet Trail." more...
ASI Ready for Business
Philadelphia, PA - "Advanced Sports Inc., the distribution arm of Advanced Sports Enterprises, is now ready to return to full-scale business, selling Fuji, Kestrel, Breezer, SE Bikes and its other brands to U.S. retailers." more...
Hiker Gets Stuck in Quicksand
UT - "A man who was stranded for hours in frigid weather with his leg sunk up to the knee in quicksand at a creek in Utah's Zion National Park said Tuesday that he feared he would lose his leg and might die..." more
- WA: Proposal for bike lanes raises concerns
- TX: Advocates pressuring UT, city to add bike lanes after fatal collision
- CAN: No, clearing bike lanes isn't a top priority
- FRA: AI platform to be deployed in bike share scheme in Paris
- CA: Los Angeles to Require Scooter Companies to Share Data
- NYC: De Blasio Touts New ‘Pedestrian Safety’ Plans
- UK: Bike trail vandalism set back
- LA: St. Charles Parish approves plan for more bike paths, sidewalks
- VA: Peds wants drivers to be careful near Garden City greenway
- CO: Denver bicyclist paralyzed in car crash awarded $52.5M
- GA: Errant drivers on Atlanta Beltline
- WA: Some trails still slick a week after the snow stopped
Greenway Supporters Start Land Acquisition
Anderson, IN - "Organizers of the proposed Mounds Greenway are beginning the process of trying to secure property rights for the trail from Anderson to Muncie." more...
Erosion Keeps Greenway Closed Indefinitely
Raleigh, NC - "Flooding and erosion along Crabtree Creek has degraded a portion of boardwalk so badly that the City of Raleigh doesn't know when it will be able to reopen the greenway..." more
Railroad Crossings Causing Bicycle Accidents
NM - "...They say it's been a problem for years and nothing has been done to fix it." more...
Panasonic Takes New Approach to E-Bike Market
"...The Japanese electronics giant, which posted sales of more than $73 billion in 2018, said the system is not just another electric bike motor..." more
Many French Motorists Hate New Speed Limits
FRA - "Road deaths in mainland France have hit an all-time low just six months after the government introduced a controversial new 80 km/h speed limit, it has been announced." more...
- CO: More people are dying on Denver’s roads
- GA: Atlanta gets advice to do complete streets
- CAN: Changes needed to complete Victoria bike network on time
- WA: Spokane may require helmets if bike sharing returns
- NY: Elmira Bike Share Helps Folks Get To Work
- CA: JUMP bike takes away local business
- GA: Architecture firm proposes fixes for dangerous DeKalb Avenue
- UK: British Transport police is disbanding its bike crime unit in London
- IL: Is there a safer way to cross the Bob Michel Bridge?
- VA: Spotsylvania supervisors blocked East Coast bike path
- CT: Brookfield's Still River Greenway to expand
- IRE: Half of Connemara landowners reach agreement in principle over greenway
Red Line Greenway Controversy
Cleveland, OH - "...what’s happening is a clash of positive values. It’s a case of nature versus transit-oriented development, which is unfortunate." more...
NCIT Trail Clearing
Huron County, OH - "A productive trail work day was held Sunday in preparation for the trail clearing east of Norwalk that will begin later this spring..." more...
Improved Trails to Explore in Cleveland Metroparks
Parma, OH - "...The Cleveland Metroparks have about 100 miles of natural surface trails meant mainly for hikers, as well as about 100 others mainly for horses and 25 others mainly for mountain bikers." more...
Would Bikes/Peds get Cut of New Gas Tax?
OH - "Ohio Governor Mike DeWine got a Valentine’s Day request from 36 Ohio transportation groups." more...
Bike Thefts Drop 25% in San Fran
CA - "San Francisco may have missed last year’s target for a reduction in reported bike thefts, but the numbers are rolling in the right direction." more...
- TN: Kingsport adding to both ends of Greenbelt
- NC: Downtown Greenway under construction along Smith Street
- GER: In Berlin, there’s now one app to access every mode of transport
- CA: Las Posas Road to be widened for bike lane extension
- CAN: City's subpar snow clearing prompts groups to take action
- UK: Cyclist who crashed due to rising bollard in safety plea
- CA: Not everyone thrilled with ‘Complete Streets’
- FL: Still Fighting for a Safe Way to School in Tampa
More on Towpath Section Closure
Boston Twp., OH - "...This project is part of a Stanford Run stream restoration for which a contract was awarded in November 2018. An upgraded culvert will be installed to allow Stanford Run to flow under the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail and reconnect to the Cuyahoga River. more...
2019 RTC Trail Supporter Survey
U.S. - Take the survey.
What Bikers & Hikers Can Expect in Coming Years
Lincoln, NE - "...additions and improvements to the city’s 150-mile recreational trail network, where you never have to walk or ride alongside cars and trucks." more...
Bleak Future for Jakarta Cyclists
IDN - "...as Jakarta looks towards some relief from its horrendous traffic problem, there are still residents who see other options as offering the potential to get the city moving..." more
- MA: Safety Concerns Arise Over Bike Trail Extension
- NC: Gastonia designing extension to popular greenway system
- SC: He was driving a moped in a bike lane
- CO: Residents ask Larimer County to reconsider e-bikes on trails
Towpath Section Closure
Boston Twp., OH - From the CVNP, "The Towpath Trail between .5 mile north of Boston Mills Road and 1 mile south of Highland Rd is closed. The closure is expected to last 21 days for a culvert replacement. There are no detours."
Downed Tree Removed from Kokosing Trail
Collision with Skateboarder on Bike Path Results in Serious Injuries
Portland, OR - "We regret to inform you about another situation where someone suffered serious injuries at a location with a known history for posing hazards to bicycle riders." more...
E-Bike Brands see Little Impact from Tariffs
Brooklyn, NY - "...Nolte said the tariffs may end up benefiting his brands because they help “normalize” e-bike pricing by forcing up the price of low-cost Chinese-made bikes..." more
Bike Lanes Should be Kept Clear Year Round
"...you can't judge how many people would bike in winter if you don't make a bit of an effort to keep the bike lanes clear..." more
Runner Describes Surviving Mountain Lion Attack
"Last week Travis Kauffman went for a run near Fort Collins, Colorado. Little did he know his workout would include suffocating a mountain lion." more...
Students Bike to School in 1.4F Temps
FIN - "...winter cycling at below freezing is perfectly possible with the right planning and infrastructure." more...
General Motors Unveils E-Bike Company
"...on Thursday, the automobile giant unveiled more about its plans to break into the rapidly growing e-bike market." more...
- D.C.: DC proposes tighter ban on drivers blocking bike lanes
- NY: Bike lanes dump cyclists into traffic near construction sites
- FL: Coast Bike introduces dockless bike share to Tampa and USF
- SC: Columbia’s bike share program expanding
- SGP: Bike Sharing Trouble in Singapore
- OR: PeaceHealth bikes used widely on campus
- OK: Council funds Fox Lake Trail Extension
- CT: Middletown-area lawmakers propose 110-mile multi-use trail
- TX: See what’s in store for Pct. 4’s Greenway trail projects
- IRE: MTBike trail in Slieve Blooms gets major boost
- IRE: Carlingford Greenway to be completed in 2021
- WA: UPS returns to bike roots in Seattle with e-Bike delivery project
Historic Locomotive Returns to Bellevue
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Path Along 933 Would Fill Trail Gap
South Bend, IN - "...A group called the 933 Corridor Improvement Association applied Thursday for a $1.6 million state grant to build a 12-foot-wide path that would be several feet from the road’s west side." more...
Hoping to Turn Old Rail Lines into Trails
New Albany, IN - "...The Surface Transportation Board and CSX extended the deadline for the city to acquire the rails. The 63-mile rail line would be transformed into a walking and bike trail from New Albany to Bedford." more...
Ped Bridge Construction May Start This Year
PA - "...as it nears construction, it has gone through a stage of protest led by municipal officials where the bridge is to be built." more...
Trail Project gets Added Support
PA - "Groundwork on a multi-use path to connect college students to the Richland community and a Theatre Drive shopping hub is back on track to get underway this year, University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown officials said." more...
Bike Store Manager Run Over In Bike Theft Attempt
Chino, CA - " A GoFundMe campaign has been established to help with the medical expenses of InCycle Bicycles store manager Megan Rodriguez, who was run over by a pickup truck attempting to stop thieves from making off with a high-end bike this week." more...
Road Diet Myths
U.S. - "...Even after hundreds of successfully implemented Road Diets across the country, many misconceptions still arise..." more
How Bike Share Affects Buse, Train Use
U.S. - "...Bike-share operations — along with e-scooters — could be contributing to reductions in bus ridership as city dwellers forgo waiting at bus stops..." more
The Checklist That Could Change the Bike Industry
"A recent opinion piece in Bicycle Retailer stated that our industry is plagued with 'zero leadership and vision.' That got my attention..." more
- NY: Frankfort town board OKs trail agreement
- OK: Spring target date for trail extension opening
- AL: Extension coming to Lakeshore Trail
- VT: Bill to extend 2,700-mile trail through Addison County
- IL: Great Western Trail extension planned
- GA: Construction begins on mountain bike trail in Rockdale
- ITA: Bari to pay residents to commute on bikes
- NY: Floating Bridge Connecting Brooklyn And Queens Gains Key Support
- D.C.: How can D.C. make bikesharing family-friendly?
- CA: Santa Cruz Holds 2nd Highest Bike Commuting Rate In U.S.
- MO: Lime Bikes Were Supposed to Make St. Louis a Cyclist's City
- IL: Help build the Midwest’s premier multi-use trail
- MA: $7M for Mattapoisett Bike Path
- UK: Clooney Greenway work is under way
Senate Bill Benefits Ohio & Erie Canalway
D.C. - "...Through the funding cap increase for the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area in the S.47, we will continue to develop, maintain and activate the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail and connector trails, preserve historic buildings, and conserve natural areas from Cleveland to New Philadelphia, Ohio..." more
Smallman Street Plan Update
Pittsburgh, PA - "...Thanks to the passionate residents and advocates who spoke out at public meetings, volunteered, signed petitions, and wrote letters to the editor, we will soon see bike lanes installed as part of a redesign of Smallman Street in the Strip District." more...
Philly's Street Closures Mapped
Philadelphia, PA - "...The interactive map from the Streets Department provides a view of work that disrupts Philadelphia’s streets..." more
Murdered Teen Hikers Case Still Open
Delphi, IN - "...Liberty German, 14, and Abigail William, 13, vanished on Feb. 13, 2017, after a relative dropped them off for a hike near an abandoned railroad bridge near their hometown..." more
County to Join East Coast Trail System
VA - "...Last month, Chesterfield Parks and Recreation announced that a half-mile path near Pocahontas State Park would be designated as the county’s first official section of the East Coast Greenway..." more
All the Different Types of Bike Lanes in 3 Minutes
CA - "San Jose shows off what a complete street looks like." more...
- WA: Panther Lake Trail Extension to open February 26
- TX: Report suggests we need new sidewalks and bike lanes near schools
- CAN: When it comes to bike lanes, Toronto could learn from Montreal
- IL: New turn in bike lane debate?
- MN: Bike lane project seeks to improve commute option
- CA: Closing the gap between the South Pasadena and L.A. bike paths
- TX: Denton cannot afford to sacrifice safety along West Hickory Street
- CT: 'Lime Bike' Bike Share Program to End in Hartford
- CO: Breckenridge votes to regulate e-bike rentals
- CO: We finally know how many people have scooted around Denver
- D.C.: D.C. may build out 3-mile ped & bike trail along Potomac River
- KS: KDOT chooses to fund Pittsburg's Memorial Bike Trail
- OR: Video claims protestors are to blame in collision with truck driver
High Water Alerts
Columbus, OH - From MetroParks, "Please be aware of flooding on the trails. Take care and do not ride through standing water if you do not know the depth. Stay safe."
Olentangy Trail Section Closure
Columbus, OH - "Beginning Monday, February 18th users on the Olentangy Trail will experience mid-day trail closures between Henderson Rd. and the Broadmeadows Park Bridge (south of Antrim Park). The trail closures will be daily between 10:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m..." more
$500K Donation for Oxford Bike Trail
Oxford, OH - "...Oxford has committed to putting a 12 mile multi-use path in it's comprehensive plan..." more
Better Mobility Options for Cities
Columbus, OH - "Columbus, Ohio, wants to boldly change how cities integrate communities and transportation with Smart Mobility Hubs..." more
Great American Rail-Trail to Include Hancock Trails
WV - "Hancock’s existing trails could become part of an effort to connect nearly 4,000 miles of rail-trail and other multiuse trails from Washington D.C. to Washington State." more...
Legislation to Extend North Country Trail
VT - "...Connecting the North Country Trail to the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail will provide Vermonters and tourists with even more opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors..." more
Software Helps Urban Planners Increase Bike Lanes
"A data fueled software tool will help urban planners put bike lanes where they will be most beneficial." more...
5 Principles of a Bike New Deal
"...To us, the best bang for the buck in overhauling our transportation systems would be making them safe, convenient, and accessible for people who walk and bike..." more
Performance Bike Stores Expected to Close Next Month
"One of the nation's largest bike retailers will sut its doors for good on March 2." more...
- D.C.: Bike Lanes Controversy in Dupont Settled for Now
- LA: Cyclists worry about being hit in New Orleans bike lanes
- OR: Gravel-in-the-bike-lanes season
- AUS: Top motoring body urges investment in bike 'superhighways'
- NH: Franklin receives grant to build walkway over trestle bridge
- CA: Lyft donates $700k to bring bikes, free rides to East Oakland
- WA: Seattle plowing bikes lanes during snowstorm
- NC: County considers agreement for Harrisburg greenway
- NYC: No arrests in 4 recent hit-and-run cases
- GA: Grady students to hold rally for safe streets
- AUS: Cyclist unleashes on motorist driving carefully
- SC: Teacher sees student riding bike on hwy...
- ME: Penalty for motorist who killed bicyclist comes under fire
Bikeway Connector Survives Flood
Athens, OH - "The Hockhocking Adena Bikeway spur to Columbus Rd survived the 13th highest recorded flood in Athens. There appears to be no damage to the trail, and the embankment armored with re-used concrete shows no sign of impact from the flood." more...
New Albany Updating Strategic Plan
OH - "...The last strategic-plan update, which was in 2014, integrated possible future road and transportation grids and pedestrian and cycling strategies that continue to be impactful." more...
Portion of CVNP Closed for Nesting Eagles
Brecksville, OH - "A portion of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be closed to pedestrian traffic until August due to a pair of nesting bald eagles." more...
Border-to-Border Trail Segment Construction
Scio Twp., MI - "...Construction on a 1.2-mile extension of the Border-to-Boarder trail from the Dexter-Huron Metropark east to Zeeb Road officially began Feb. 9..." more
Philly can’t Achieve Vision Zero Without Change
Philadelphia, PA - "...PennDot’s attempts to address traffic safety in Pennsylvania have, so far, come up short..." more
Parks Group Honors Petoskey Trail Project
Petoskey, MI - "The Downtown Petoskey Greenway project recently received the mParks (formerly Michigan Recreation and Park Association) 2018 Park Design Award." more...
Minneapolis Walking & Biking Sucks More
MN - "...Bikers, meanwhile, only account for 5 percent of all trips, and they represent 15 to 20 percent of all traffic-related deaths..." more
Bicyclists Colliding with Peds in Japan
JPN - "...There are about 2,500 collisions between bicycles and pedestrians annually. In many cases, young people are held responsible for inflicting harm on pedestrians." more...
- NH: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Grafton County
- IA: Des Moines to spend $60 million filling 180 miles of sidewalk gaps
- OR: 13-year old struck by driver, seriously injured
- CA: Street Racer Kills Bicyclist In South LA
- CO: Battle of the Bike Lanes in Colorado Springs
- WI: La Crosse board OKs bike lanes on Gillette Street
- UK: Cyclists form human bike lane in call for segregated cycle space
- MN: Nice Ride Will Roll Out Minneapolis’ First Electric Bikes This Spring
- NY: Intersections Make List Of City's Most Dangerous
- IRE: Cork cyclists rally for safer cycle lanes
- MA: Easthampton exploring trail expansions
- NC: 21-year-old man sentenced to prison for Clayton greenway attack
- CT: Vandals strike Derby Greenway again
RIDOT Wants to Take Bike/Ped Money
RI - "Nearly $28 million would be redirected to pay for street paving and bridge repair work that would largely ignore alternative modes of transportation." more...
Cars & Trucks Using New Bike Lane
PHL - "...The 5.8-kilometer Protected Bike Lane beside the Laguna Lake Highway was officially inaugurated only four days ago..." more
- UK: Partnership formed to extend popular cycling and walking route
- NH: Can a protected bike lane work in the Capital City?
- CA: Proposed Napa County bike plan released
- NY: Brooklyn’s most dangerous intersections
- FL: Pedestrian killed while walking bike
- CO: Breckenridge could lay ground rules for e-bikes this week
- MN: Residents push for changes at Scott County intersection
Wellfleet Trail Extension Plans Meet Complication
MA - "Although $2 million in state funding has been secured for the extension of the Cape Cod Rail Trail in Wellfleet, there are still many crinkles to iron out..." more
Family of Hit-And-Run Victim Seeks Public's Help
FL - "The family of 71-year-old Carl Wetzig, who was seriously injured, is asking for the public's help in finding a hit-and-run driver." more...
Cities Wising Up to Transportation Tech
"...We’re exploring the regulation of TNCs, the Ubers and Lyfts, and the idea is, why should they use our public right of way to become billionaires?.." more
What's Yamaha Up to in the E-Bike Market?
"How will Yamaha position themselves as they enter the United States market with their power assist electric bikes?.." more
- IL: Schuyler Avenue bike lanes still target of critics
- CAN: Cycling group opposes Dundas bike lane split
- CA: Six-month bridge bike lane test makes sense
- IL: State law could derail B-N scooter rental program
- SC: Mary H. Wright Greenway reopens after renovations
- OK: City Taking Lead In Sidewalk, Bike Trail Installation
- UK: MTBikers blamed for the extinction of endangered plants in parks
Thomas J Evans Trail Alert
Newark, OH - "Due to recent rain and snow melt, a section of the TJ Evans Bike Path, approximately 1/2 mile west of the Reddington Road/Cherry Valley parking lot, has experienced bank erosion and unstable bank condition near the edge of the bike path." more...
Bicyclists Providing Input for New Map
Lake County, OH - "Bike riders in Lake County have the opportunity to provide feedback on the new Lake County Bike Maps expected to be available in late April or early May." more...
Who Owns/Manages the Wabash Cannonball Trail?
NW OH - "Did you know that NORTA was created 27 years ago? It is entirely volunteer operated! We own most of the Wabash Cannonball Trail in Fulton, Henry, and Williams Counties. We continue to value your support..." more
A Look at Trail Funding in 2019
U.S. - "...In states such as California, Florida and Ohio, our field staff are cultivating relationships and actively pursuing longer-term policy initiatives that will pay dividends for years to come..." more
Hell's Kitchen Boasts Largest Citi Bike Station
NY - "The 79-dock station on West 59th Street and 10th Avenue is tied for the largest in Citi Bike's system." more...
Beltline Trail Section Now Open
GA - "Soon enough, Atlantans will be able to cruise from Piedmont Park all the way to Memorial Drive without leaving the Beltline." more...
Bike Share Takes Bite out of Ride Share
"... what stands out are the numbers after Uber acquired Jump in April. The full integration with the ride-hailing app turned people away from ride-hailing quite significantly..." more
Where Can You Safely Bike in the U.S?
"A new report shows that while cycling deaths are up nationwide, some cities and states are bucking the trend." more...
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) 'Most Wanted' List
"...While the NTSB rarely directly addresses bicyclist or pedestrian safety, many of the “most wanted” safety efforts point to big potential improvements for people who bike and walk..." more
E-Scooters Racking Up Injuries
U.S. - "A Consumer Reports investigation finds 1,500 e-scooter injuries across the country, and many hospitals still don’t track them." more...
Survey Says: Brits Prefer Cars
UK - "... It confirms that getting Brits out of their cars and on to buses and bikes instead is going to be an uphill struggle." more...
- CA: How Would You Do Intersection Markings?
- IL: DeKalb Park District pursuing nature trail extension
- WY: Environmental assessment for proposed Red Grade Trails project
- CAN: Waterloo Region considering changes to uptown cycling lanes
- NYC: Protesters rally against NYPD crackdown on cyclists
- WA: Greenway suit against Yakima homeless-shelter rezone on hold
- NC: Residents stil waiting for Greenway access
- D.C.: 50 Capital Bikeshare Stations Are Out of Service
- KS: GCCC begins bike share program
- WA: Wanted felon living near trail
- MS: Red tape holding up Sowashee Creek walking trail
- IL: Chicago-area bike dealers step up security amid rash of break-ins
Towpath Flooding Reports
Summit County, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "The Towpath Trail's Clinton Trailhead parking lot and the trail south to the county line is closed due to flooding."
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Water from the Tuscarawas River is flooding the trail near Lake Lucerne Trailhead, Lake Ave. Trailhead, and Craig Pittman Trailhead."
More Stark County Trail Flooding
OH - West Branch Trail - "Rising water from the Nimishillen Creek will probably close several areas along the trail, including under Rt. 172/Tuscarawas St."
Mahoning Valley Trail - "Gaskill St. to Rockhill Ave. along the Mahoning River is closed due to flooding."
Lease Renewed for Towpath Extension
New Philadelphia, OH - "Commissioners signed a new 10-year lease with the Kimble Co. Wednesday to use an unused rail line to extend the Towpath Trail four miles closer to Dover and New Philadelphia." more...
E-Bikes Approved for Saucon Rail Trail
PA - "...borough council Monday approved a change to the rules regarding the use of motorized vehicles on the popular pathway to allow for eBikes." more...
How Ann Arbor's 1st Protected Bike Lane will Look
MI - "...The project is the first of a network of protected bike lanes planned throughout the city in an effort to make streets safer for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists." more...
Cops Manhandling Cyclists in NYC?
NY - "Cyclists are demanding answers after an NYPD captain apparently tackled a bike rider in Midtown on Thursday as he was trying to ticket him in a police sting..." more
Performance Bike Stores Update
Chapel Hill, NC - "...The layoffs ended hopes that Performance, once the country's largest bike retail chain with 104 stores and nearly 1,700 employees, would continue to operate brick-and-mortar stores..." more
U.S. Public Health Crisis
D.C. - "Number of bicyclists killed reached 25-year high as transportation policies at federal and state levels require greater urgency to create a more Bicycle Friendly America." more...
Regulating Car Speeds in Europe
"When you try and go too fast it says, 'I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that'." more...
- NC: City of Asheville continues to mull bikeshare, e-scooter program
- AR: Grated Sidewalks in Downtown Little Rock Causing Safety Concerns
- IL: Plan For New Bike Lanes In The South Loop Delayed
- TX: Cyclists demand change to UT campus and Austin city streets
- MA: $10M for transportation projects slated in South Hadley, Granby, Belchertown
- D.C.: Capital Bikeshare problems take many stations offline
- AR: VeoRide Bikeshare Program Adds 150 New E-Assist Bikes
- MN: Nice Ride Minnesota's 2019 proposals include ebikes, expanded equity
- IA: Iowa lawmakers consider e-scooter rules
- CAN: Langford neighbourhood group opposes E&N Rail Trail expansion
- MO: New multiuse trails great for Joplin area
- IRE: Newry to Carlingford Greenway to be completed in late 2020
More on Upcoming North Shore Trail Construction
Ashtabula, OH - "...It takes advantage of the wonderful landscapes and natural beauty Ashtabula has to offer and is one of the final portions of the 110-mile Great Lake to River Trail that crosses the state of Ohio." more...
Dead Tree Removal Continues on NCIT
High Water Alert for Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "...The river has flooded the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway at the usual low spot between Stimson Ave and the US33 overpass in the City of Athens, and the bikeway will likely be impassable at that location through sometime Sunday..." more
Ohio & Erie Canalway Visitor Survey
NE OH - "We're excited to present the following survey for visitors to the Ohio & Erie Canalway. We really appreciate your input and advice..." more
4 to 3 Lane Road Conversion
Donation Fixes A Gap In Pere Marquette Rail-Trail
MI - "The Forsberg family donated $10,000 to benefit the Pere Marquette Rail-Trail extension project." more...
More Tickets for Bike Lane Parking Violations
Philadelphia, PA - "The number of vehicles cited for obstructing a bike lane rose 17 percent in 2018. But bike advocates warn that the deterrent effect might be weakening." more...
Philippines gets 1st Protected Bike Lane along National Highway
"Bikers along Laguna Lake Highway now enjoy a separate lane from motor vehicles, protected by a planting strip." more...
- OR: Families for Safe Streets
- WA: Redesigned Northgate bike/walk bridge construction
- OR: Stolen bike found, fixed and returned to local vet
- GA: Gunshot wound linked to remains found in woods
- CA: Bicycle Advisory Board pushes for more protected bike lanes
- NYC: L train shutdown cancelation shouldn’t stop bus, bike lane upgrades
- CO: Sadik-Khan: Denver Can Learn From NYC’s ‘Streetfight’
- NYC: Pedestrian Deaths Rise Citywide
- AZ: Electric scooters may make Phoenix debut later this year
- LA: Shreveport’s Phase 2 of bike lanes almost complete
- NC: Neighbors express concerns about proposed Winterville greenway
More Sharrows May be Coming to Bowling Green
OH - "...We have been working on developing a bike infrastructure for a few years in Bowling Green..." more
Liberty Twp. Ponders Hike/Bike Path
OH - "A $15,000 study will help trustees decide whether a shared use path for pedestrians and cyclists should be built along Cincinnati-Dayton Road under Ohio 129." more...
72-Year-Old Charged in Bicyclist Death
WI - "A 72-year-old Waukesha man faces a single charge of homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle in connection with the death of pediatrician and avid bicyclist Dr. Brian Yagoda..." more
Suspect Sought in Bike Shop Thefts
CA - "Authorities are seeking a suspect who has stolen high-end bikes, or attempted to do so, from at least eight stores up and down California..." more
Pedego Tests IBD Sales Program
CA - "Pedego, the e-bike brand with over 100 licensed U.S. stores in operation, is testing a program to sell its bikes to independent retailers through a 'store-within-a-store' program." more...
Here Comes the Micromobility Revolution
CA - "At a Bay Area summit devoted to electric scooters and other new mobility devices, fans evangelized about the potential of technology..." more
- TN: After another death, Nashville nonprofits advocate for pedestrian safety
- AZ: Vigil held for 5-year-old boy fatally struck by truck in Phoenix
- WA: Seattle advances plans for N 34th St redesign
- CO: Bicyclist killed after being hit by train in Longmont
- GA: City, county to team up on trails
- CA: Has Oakland Turned a Corner on Protecting Cyclists During Construction?
- TUR: 5 Challenges and Solutions to Building Bike-Friendly Cities in Turkey
- TN: Walk, bike path coming to Chapman Highway
- AUS: Dirt rider clotheslined off bike by neck-high wire strung across forestry track
- UK: Cycling Groups Do Not Slam Rail Line Conversion Proposal
- TN: Explore Bike Share program expanding in Memphis
- TN: Plans to expand bike share program using scooter profits
- CA: Metro Bike Share Arrives in Koreatown
Tri-State Trails Launches Connect NKY
Newport, KY - "Tri-State Trails, in partnership with The Devou Good Project, will launch a new program called Connect NKY to expand active transportation infrastructure in Northern Kentucky..." more
Bicyclist Killed in Hit-and-Run
MI - "A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run Saturday afternoon and Warren police are now offering a $1,000 reward for information that could lead them to the vehicle and the driver." more...
It's Sneckdown Season!
Seattle, WA - "...What is a sneckdown, you ask? Well, mother nature has essentially painted the city’s streets with a valuable traffic calming and street design demonstration..." more
Cyclist Killed While Riding In Bike Lane
NYC - "An elderly cyclist was killed by a hit-and-run-driver while riding in a bike lane near Times Square on Monday, police said." more...
Seattle Developing New Approach for Ped Safety
WA - "...The city will add the crosswalk and the signal and then count how many pedestrians cross and see if it reaches the threshold that the MUTCD recommends." more...
Runner Fights Off, Kills Mountain Lion
Fort Collins, CO - "A man is recovering after he fought off and killed a mountain lion that attacked him during a trail run..." more
Car-Free Day in Addis Ababa
ETH - "Addis Ababa and other cities across Ethiopia are observing the country's third Car Free Day." more...
- CA: Mobility report shows bike trips on the decline in SF
- SC: Driver pulls gun on boy riding bike
- IL: City Council considering Mattoon Bicycle Plan
- NJ: Henry Hudson Trail to Extend into downtown Freehold
- WI: A Riverwalk for Menomonee Valley
- CA: Work on Valencia Protected Bike Lane Pilot Almost Complete
- TX: Students call for additional bike lanes on campus following cyclist death
- TX: Advocates say changes needed on Central Austin street where bus killed cyclist
- CO: Denver’s bike-share is losing popularity
- MO: Spin scooters see 3,600 rides since December launch
- AR: VeoRide to Roll Out More Electric-Assist Bikes in Fayetteville
- UK: Elderly Man Assaulted on Greenway in Liversedge
- WI: Guilty plea in bike trail sex assault case
- NC: Plan to address $77M Cross Charlotte Trail funding gap
Mayor Targets Cyclists
IL - "Batavia Mayor Jeff Schielke has had it with groups of bicyclists who ride through town without stopping at stop signs." more...
Bike Lane Project Could Put Iconic Trees on Chopping Block
Wellington, FL - "...A major construction project could affect hundreds of trees that have lined Aero Club Drive for decades." more...
The Push to Build a Coast-to-Coast Trail
U.S. - "...Mills explains that part of what it was waiting for was enough segments of trail to be completed around the U.S. to potentially make up about half of the route..." more
Gotcha Expanding in the U.S.
U.S. - "...Gotcha is expanding its micro-mobility offering in the United States and has announced it is now offering three customizable products: dockless bike share, 100%-electric ride share vehicles, and electric scooters..." more
- NYC: Fate of bike lanes, busway debated
- NH: Manchester aldermen to review potential Maple-Beech redesign concepts
- IL: Springfield Considering Bike Share Program
- UK: London considers dockless bike share
- MO: Lime is yanking those green bikes from St. Louis, but they may be replaced
- CA: Electric street scooters are coming to Sacramento
- TN: Greenway’s Story Book Trail opens
- TX: Plan will guide San Antonio parks system growth
- FL: Widening of Forest Lakes Boulevard begins
- CA: Suspect In Armed Robbery On Trail Arrested
Converting Brownfields to Greenways in Girard
Handicap-Accessible Port-o-John Placed Along Kokosing Trail
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...a handicap-accessible port-a-john will now be available for trail users. We would like to shout out United Aggregates for donating and placing the compacted aggregate for the pad in which the unit was placed..." more
Shenango Valley gets $1.9M for Transportation Projects
Shenango Valley, PA - "Three local communities got a $1.9 million share of $44.5 million in state grants awarded Friday for 50 transportation projects across the state." more...
Great Redwood Trail Planning
CA - "While he does not expect it to be completed in his lifetime, Ukiah resident Neil Davis is very excited about the idea of turning 300 miles of railroad tracks into a public trail that travels from San Francisco to Humboldt Bay." more...
- WA: Improvements coming to bike lanes, traffic signals on Kitsap Way
- SC: New stretch can connect downtown to Swamp Rabbit Trail
- OK: Grant sought for bike share program
- IRE: Allenwood locals seize the opportunity for Greenway
- GA: Why Sterling on the Lake residents oppose a suggested trail
- UK: From bike tracks to new bogs - 13 projects to improve tourism
- CA: Petaluma police focus on Lynch Creek Trail camps
Plan for More Trail Connections in Central Ohio
Columbus, OH - "The Ohio State University’s City and Regional Planning Department’s Transportation Studio will be working with the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC), Columbus Recreation and Parks, and Central Ohio Greenways (COG) on the development of six new trail connections throughout the Central Ohio region..." more
Road Diet Coming to Delphos
OH - "...the administration now has plans in hand that would eliminate one lane of traffic in the Fifth Street corridor, add bike lanes and expand the width of sidewalks along the two-mile route." more...
Dexter Planning Phase 2 of Mill Creek Trail
MI - "...However, since this segment of trail would be mostly boardwalk, the cost of construction is significant..." more
Baltimore DOT Pulling Funds for Bike Infra
MD - "...Baltimore Department of Transportation plans to allocate zero new dollars for bike lane projects in fiscal 2020, and far less than originally planned for the next couple years..." more
Utah Tries Again to Pass 'Idaho Stop' Law
UT - "...It is the fourth time that Rep. Carol Moss, D-Holladay, has attempted to pass the bill, which cleared the House last year but died in the Senate." more...
Trip Planning Apps Can Change Your Commute
"Turn your smartphone into a catalyst for making better transportation choices." more...
- CAN: Latest cyclist fatality highlights need for safer bike routes
- MS: Construction begins to improve road, add bik path
- CA: Authorities ID bicyclist who died following crash with car
- FL: Legacy Trail extension coming into focus
- MA: Final pieces of Salisbury, Amesbury rail trails come together
- MEX: Mazatlan bike share system is in place
- CAN: Kitchener putting in protected bike lanes
- CA: Man beaten to death on popular Napa trail
- UK: Plans for a cycling trails revolution in Cornwall
- LA: Here’s what Sidney Torres is planning next along the Lafitte Greenway
- OR: School staff and parents discuss traffic safety issues
Trail Grant Sought in Canal Winchester
OH - "...We are looking to do a $500,000 grant for a trail that would connect our phase one McGill Park property to along the (Walnut) creek all the way to Washington Street to the covered bridge..." more
Wasson Way Project Moves Forward
Cincinnati, OH - "Last week, Mayor John Cranley joined a crowd of supporters at Dana Gardens to announce that Phase 2 of the Wasson Way trail received $100,000 in funding from a local business, School Outfitter. This is in addition to the $2.2 million budget for the public works project." more...
Falls Seeking Grant for Trail Extension
Cuyahoga Falls, OH - "...A sidewalk on the west side of Willis Street likely would be included in Phase II of the Mud Brook Greenway, which also would consist of a trail from Bath Road through the Mill Pond area to Graham and State roads..." more
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
OH - Read the latest edition.
House Government Organization Passes Mon BikeTrail Bill
Charleston, WV - "The House Government Organization committee quickly passed and sent to the floor on Wednesday one of the five bills creating a Mountaineer Trail Network Recreation Authority for Monongalia and neighboring counties." more...
New $27M Ped Bridge Won’t be Open to Public for Super Bowl
GA - "...Instead, the snakelike structure will serve Super Bowl staffers and credentialed media, leaving visitors to fend for themselves when crossing some streets to the [stadium]..." more
Man Robbed at Gunpoint on Silver Comet Trail
GA - "Two men armed with guns laid branches along the bike path, which forced the man to stop and get off his bike..." more
State Exploring Options to Keep Rock Island Trail Project Alive
MO - "After nearly four years of review and negotiation, hope continues for those in favor of turning the Rock Island Railroad corridor into a cross-state trail..." more
Fixing a Fork in the Road
"...Forks often need fixing because they create complicated intersections with dangerous sight lines and signals with too many phases, impeding the flow of both vehicles and pedestrians..." more
Bike Fixation Releases Wave Delineator
MN - "...Bike Fixation set out to design a temporary lane delineator that makes pop-up or demonstration bike lanes feel fun, inspiring and safe." more...
Inside the Transport Data Tug of War
"The relationship between cities and new mobility companies was tense from the start." more...
- CA: Orange County Plans a 4-Mile Parking-Protected Bike Lane
- MA: Plans for Bike Lanes on Craigie Bridge Move Forward
- CAN: Vancouver city council demands more options for Granville Bridge bike path
- CAN: Richmond-Adelaide bike lanes have officially become permanent
- ME Portland invites bike-share companies onto city streets
- TX: Austin B-cycle to roll out new bike-share program
- LATAM: Bike share AI to be deployed
- CA: Downey launches bicycle share program
- CA: $12.6M transit grant to extend planned bike path
- VA: Greenway expands in Southeast Roanoke
- RI: STIP Major Amendment Decimates The Transportation Alternatives Plan
- TX: Study Looks At How To Make Houston’s Intersections Safer
- NE: Nearly 1,500 public comments later, Lincoln Bike Plan finally complete
- NV: Hit-run suspect says he binged on beer before, after striking bicyclist
- WA: 300+ neighbor-created ideas to improve Seattle streets
- NH: 'Fix Your Bike February'
Nature Center Due for Trail Overhaul
Shaker Heights, OH - "City Council gave its collective blessing Monday (Jan. 28) to proposed boardwalk improvements along the All People's Trail at the Shaker Lakes Nature Center." more...
New Infrastructure Improvements Planned for Linden
Columbus, OH - "...The city is designing the reconstruction of Hudson Street between Interstate 71 and Cleveland Avenue, to the south of Linden Park. That $11.7 million project could include sidewalks on the north side of the street and an “urban greenway trail” on the south side of the street, providing a rare east-west connection to the city’s major bike trails..." more
Greenway to Join 4,000-Mile Trail
IN - "Cardinal Greenway is set to become part of a 4,000-mile multi-use trail which begins in Washington, D.C. and ends in Washington State." more...
Mayor Seeking to Ban Right Turn on Red
HI - "The Honolulu mayor says the change — on Oahu only — would make it safer for pedestrians and bicyclists." more...
- TX: City Pushes Back on TxDOT’s Awful I-30 Redesign
- VA: Streets to Get Makeovers in Landmark Redevelopment Plans
- NM: Albuquerque To Begin Ticketing Cars Parked In Bike Lanes
- CA: Man Dies After Being Struck by 5 Cars
- OR: First look at TriMet’s new Bike & Ride parking
- TX: Construction underway on Nolan Creek trail extension
- GA: Evolution of Beltline’s Southside Trail continues
- GA: Greenway Extension
- FL: Bike lanes or parking?
- TX: Bike Lane Debate Heats Up in Denton
- CA: Solvang bike lane project put on hold
- UK: Oxford cyclist injured on 'treacherous' Cowley Road bike path
- AUS: Cyclists in 'Bike Path' Abuse Video Were Cops
- GER: Public Bike Provider Nextbike Steps up Pace by Electrifying its Fleet
- CO: Denver is giving out 5,280 free passes for rides on B-cycle bike share
- VA: Garden City Greenway set for official opening
- VA: Scott’s Addition residents could see new trail
Lime Bike Share Pulls Out of Dublin
OH - "We quite recently heard that Lime has pulled out of providing their bike share to City of Dublin, Ohio - Government. Apparently due to low rider numbers..." more
Help Create Safe Routes to School
Columbus, OH - "Do you support making Columbus better for Biking and Walking? Here is how to get involved with bringing more Safe Routes to School on the West Side..." more
UPS Cargo Bikes in Pittsburgh
PA - "...UPS launched the pedal-assist cargo trike in the Steel City in November 2017, passing up Philly..." more
Google Plans to Sell Cellphone Location Data
"...The program, known as Replica, offers planning agencies the ability to model an entire city’s patterns of movement..." more
- OR: PPB will increase focus on infamous Ladd Circle stop sign
- NJ: Coal plant sale offers opportunity for greenway
- CA: 3-mile Coast to Crest Trail segment opened Jan. 26
- FL: Sarasota County to borrow money for Legacy Trail extension
- GA: PATH400 to link BeltLine, areas north of I-285
- AUS: Walking trail to Wellington Dam opened
- VA: Bike lane prohibition is rejected by Richmond City Council
- NC: Durham getting 8 more miles of bike lanes and 1st ‘buffered’ bike lane
- AZ: Bike lanes are scary and dangerous
- CAN: Proposed bike lane down centre of bridge stokes controversy
- KS: Plans for new Manhattan bike-share company still being finalized
- CAN: Cyclist dead after bike lane accident in North Vancouver
Summit County Parks Weather Alert
OH - "Due to extreme cold temperatures forecasted for Wednesday, January 30 and Thursday, January 31, the Nature Realm Visitors Center, Liberty Park Nature Center and Summit Lake Nature Center will be closed and all programs are canceled. Parks remain open." more...
Towpath Trailhead Parking Closed
Stark County, OH - From Starkparks.com, "Lake Lucerne, Lock 4 (lower parking lot), and Crystal Springs are closed due to thick ice in the parking areas after recent flooding."
Council Approves Funding Polaris Parkway Road Project
Columbus, OH - "...It also will resurface a smaller portion of Olde Worthington Road/Orion Place, add sidewalks and a shared-use path, replace traffic signals, and build a retaining wall, street lighting and landscaping in the area." more...
Opposition to Bike Trail in Delphos
OH - "...Do we need a bike trail on one of the busiest streets in Delphos..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
The Future of Performance Bike
Columbus, OH - "The closing sale at Performance Bicycle at 6674 Sawmill Road will conclude in February — but the store could reopen soon afterward, assuming that the chain’s purchase out of bankruptcy goes through." more...
Jogger Attacked on South Charlotte Greenway
Charlotte, NC - "A 38-year-old woman was grabbed from behind after a man asked to use her cell phone..." more
Great American Rail-Trail Taking Shape
U.S. - "Twelve states, 4,000 miles, and zero cars: The Great American Rail-Trail took a big step toward becoming a reality this month." more...
Scooters Inspiring Better Street Design
"...Scooters are part of a growing ecosystem known as micromobility..." more
What Happened After Downtown Oslo Went Car-Free?
NOR - "...Parking spots are now bike lanes, transit is fast and easy, and the streets (and local businesses) are full of people." more...
- CAN: Bikes, booze and e-scooters part of Uber Canada’s plan in 2019
- CAN: Initiative asks residents to share 'missing links' with bike lanes, sidewalks
- VA: Richmond City Council Approves E-Scooter Rollout
- TN: Franklin to start construction on city's first mountain bike trail
- NH: Hampton votes to support rail-trail proposal
- FL: FDOT considers plan to add bike lanes along US-19
- MN: Farmington aims to be more bike, pedestrian friendly
- NYC: Ninth Street bike lanes make road no safer for pedestrians, residents say
- OR: 'Better Naito' opens on Portland's west side
- CAN: Inner Harbour tree cut down despite pleas to keep it
- NC: Wake Forest greenway trail vandalism under investigation
- TN: Knox County working to add more greenways
- D.C.: Bill Would Give Scooter, E-Bike Riders More Legal Rights
- OR: PBOT’s $2.1M plans to tame dangerous road section
North Shore Trail Nearing Construction
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Ferndale Prepping for Bike Share Stations
MI - "...Ferndale is the lead city in south Oakland County in bringing the popular bike sharing service to area. Other cities such as Royal Oak, Berkley, Huntington Woods and Oak Park are also moving to get MoGo bike share stations set up in their communities." more...
Car Spotted on Pigeon Creek Greenway
Evansville, IN - "...she filmed a white sedan traveling at traffic speed along the Greenway." more...
E-Bike Company Suffers 3rd Fire in 7 Months
"The Dutch company Stella lost 36 e-bikes and 80 batteries in a blaze at its showroom." more...
Amazon Begins Testing Sidewalk Drones
WA - "Robots are 'the size of a small cooler and roll along at a walking pace'..." more
Motorist Drives on Bike Path to Harass Cyclists
AUS - "A video filmed by a motorist in Australia – illegally, using a handheld mobile phone – that shows him taking to a bike path to overtake two cyclists using the road, has gone viral..." more
- MA: Why Don't The Boston Police Report Traffic Crash Data?
- SC: Holy Spokes offering $5 one-year bike share
- AZ: Tucson police ID bicyclist who died
- CAN: Hundreds sign petition to save white aspen
- CA: Woman struck, killed by vehicle in San Clemente
- CAN: Calgary's newest bike-share seeing green due to high demand
- NY: Creating the Manhattan-to-Montauk trail
- MO: How a new greenway could be the answer to uniting St. Louis
Hit-and-Run Driver Injures Woman & Grandson
Philadelphia, PA - "...We pushed the button to cross the street. The cars on that side of the street had stopped. The next thing, I know we were on the ground..." more
Race not won for Rock Island Trail
MO - "With the Feb. 21 deadline approaching for the Missouri Department of Natural Resources to accept the Rock Island Railroad corridor, the DNR has submitted an 180-day extension request for more time." more...
- TX: Fort Worth’s bike share program is flat
- CAN: Standard bike lane design needed
- CA: With bike lanes in place, project eyes longer-term improvements
- CAN: Is your neighbourhood missing a bike lane or crosswalk?
- AZ: Man dies from December bike collision
- NV: Vegas police arrest suspected DUI driver in fatal hit-and-run
- NYC: Safety concerns as NYC considers legalizing electric scooters
- TX: Man Seriously Injured on Northwest Austin Trail
- GA: Green bike lane might be good sign for future
- UK: More trails for mountain bikers in Blaenau Ffestiniog
Yellow Springs to Clifton Trail Concept
OH - "Funding and support are lining up to build a new bike trail that would connect the villages of Clifton and Yellow Springs." more...
More Ohio Multi-Use Trails Being Cleared in Winter
OH - "Surveying Central Ohio Greenways jurisdictions and their travelers re their winter season trail maintenance practices and experiences. From recent casual observations and shared info we've seen shared-use paths routinely plowed!.." more
B&O Trail gets $1,000 Donation
Structure Near Bike Trail Torched
Open House for OTE Trail Segment
Sunbury, OH - "...Those who attend can comment on the project that would pave a 750 foot segment of the Ohio Fallen Heroes Multi-use Trail in Sunbury..." more
Huge Riverfront Park Planned
IN - "...Clarksville also aims to connect neighborhoods by completing a rails-to-trails path on a 1 ½-mile abandoned CSX rail bed, linking it to the greenway and ultimately the park." more...
Towns Get Grants to Improve Trails, Walkability
PA - "Four Bucks County towns were among 11 communities statewide awarded grants earlier this month toward planning for more pedestrian-friendly streets." more...
American Roads are Dangerous by Design
"...In the past decade, the number of people struck and killed while walking increased by 35 percent..." more
New Study of E-Scooter Injuries
"How dangerous are e-scooters? The question has become pressing as they’ve proliferated all over the country, and researchers are scrambling for answers." more...
NYC - "Folding bike, e-bike and scooter shop NYCeWheels has permanently closed its storefront but is still operating online, according to its website..." more
- VA: Trail in Lynchburg received some TLC from furloughed government workers
- FL: Neighbors don't want Pinellas Trail extension in their backyards
- MA: Rail trail wrangling in Wellfleet
- TX: Coppell Bike Lane installation expected to begin this summer
- OR: Bicycle rider injured in right hook collision on SE 7th at Hawthorne
- TX: Big improvements unveiled for 9 beloved Austin trails and parks
- VA: Construction starts on Northend Greenway project
- CA: Cyclists Dismiss Idea For Cars Using Bike Lane On Bridge
- CAN: Vancouver pushing forward with Granville Bridge bike lanes & walking path
- NYC: Why de Blasio won’t punish vehicles clogging bike lanes
- OR: Police stopped 34 people during a ‘crosswalk enforcement mission’
Wasson Way to Connect Cincinnati Neighborhoods
Norwood, OH - "...The bike trail connects Cincinnati neighborhoods, and now it's expanding into Norwood." more...
Hockhocking Adena Bikeway High Water Alert
Friends of Madison County Trails Update
OH - "...Here are just a few of the recent happenings and such to help keep you up to date." more...
County Wins Grant to Complete Trail Extension
Otsego County, MI - "Otsego County was recently awarded a $200,000 Iron Belle Challenge Grant through the Department of Natural Resources to be used to extend the Iron Belle Trail from Waters south to the Crawford County line." more...
Forsbergs Donate $10K to Complete Rail-Trail Gap
MI - "...Marguerite had expressed to her family some time before she had passed, that she wished she had enough money to fix the “gap” in the trail..." more
Cyclist Attacks Driver & Vehicle
NYC - "...When the driver got out of his car to avoid the shattered glass, the man hit him in the head and back with the bicycle lock..." more
Enthusiasm for Rock Island Trail Remains Strong
MO - "Enthusiasm continues to build in favor of the Rock Island Trail, says Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) as the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and Missouri Central Railroad, a subsidiary of Ameren, Inc., continue to negotiate the details of a long-awaited railbanking agreement for the 144-mile railroad corridor." more...
Children Carry On Father's Bike Business
CA - "Two children of innovative bike designer Dan Hanebrink, who died of natural causes in late December at age 80, are continuing to serve Hanebrink Bikes' existing customers with service and replacement parts..." more
- CAN: Parks Canada puts brakes on Icefields Parkway bike trail
- NY: Bike lane, sidewalk cleanup in Sunnyside
- MD: What’s going on with Baltimore’s bike master plan?
- TX: Dallas gives thumbs up to bike lanes on a major east-west street
- CAN: Though half don't drive, 'few' women cycle in Scarborough
- FL: County, state agree on path forward for Legacy Trail extension
- NY: Woodstock OKs $309K for Noonday Creek Trail engineering
- CA: Pedal Movement Awarded $1.3 Million to Operate Long Beach Bike Share
- EURO: Zoov raises $6.8M to expand its European electric bike-sharing service
- NYC: City raises concerns over e-bike, scooter legislation
- ID: Greenway continues to beautify Pullman
- OK: City Of Yukon Breaks Ground For New Bike Trail
- TN: Thousands of Old Tires to be Made into State Park Trail
- FL: Make Tampa Bay region safer for walkers and cyclists
- CA: Police seek man suspected of groping women on Stevens Creek Trail
- NH: Local communities get $1.7M for 'alternative transportation projects'
- WA: Bicycle Parking at UW Station Sucks
Flooding on Stark County Trails
Stark County, OH - Including this report on the Ohio & Erie Towpath Trail - "Numerous areas are under water after recent rains and snow and ice melting. Water is still rising in parking areas and in low areas." more...
Brunswick Looking to Extend Plum Creek Park Trail
OH - "The city of Brunswick is seeking an Ohio Department of Natural Resources grant to extend the walking trail at Plumb Creek Park north, nearly to Laurel Road." more...
Cincy Plan to Boost Pedestrian Safety
Cincinnati, OH - "Mayor John Cranley recently outlined the city's efforts to prevent crashes involving pedestrians — from legislation that would allow volunteer crossing guards to big shifts in the way the city approaches traffic safety." more...
CoGo Ridership Down in 2018
Columbus, OH - "2018 saw the first significant decline in CoGo ridership since the bike share system was established in 2013..." more
Delray Beach will Keep Trees, Forego Bike Lanes
FL - "...A state Department of Transportation plan had proposed removing more than 100 trees from the road, adding bike lanes and improving drainage. Neighbors voiced their opposition..." more
Cars & Trucks Driving in Bike Lane
NYC - "School buses turn a service road into a parking lot during the morning drop-off on a busy stretch of Queens Boulevard at Jacobus Street. That prompts motorists to go rogue and drive in the protected bike lane..." more
Great American Rail-Trail Would Span 4,000 Miles
"Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) today announced its vision for the Great American Rail-Trail, an unprecedented commitment to creating an iconic piece of American infrastructure that will connect nearly 4,000 miles of rail-trail and other multiuse trails from Washington, D.C., to Washington State." more...
Pedestrian Deaths Continue to Climb
U.S. - "...Over the past decade, pedestrian fatalities have happened at a rate of 13 per day..." more
New Tool Gives Cities a Clearer Picture of Bikes, Peds Data
U.S. - "A new transportation analytics tool by StreetLight Data allows cities to view a detailed look at all biking and pedestrian trips." more...
Uber Working on Autonomous Scooters & Bikes
"Sounds cool, but it’s ultimately probably a really bad idea." more...
- NE: Trail Links To Steamboat Trace
- IA: Money secured to repair creek bridge along nature trail
- MA: Proponents outline next steps for Greenway over tunnel cap
- ID: $250K in grants could allow foundation to connect south and north Pocatello
- NJ: Northern Valley Greenway trail plans
- IRE: Call for greater links between Greenway and Kildare village
- VA: Proposal to block Brook Road bike lane
- OR: Blazing a new trail
- CA: Chula Vista City Council OK's Scooter, Bike Share Pilot
- UK: Smartphone bike hire scheme for York grinds to a halt
- AUS: Australia's bike sharing market
- MN: Most bicycle crashes occur on a small number of streets
- CO: Denver’s traffic-death report card
- MN: Detroit Lakes police chief suspended for actions over bike incident
Phase 2 of Wasson Way Coming
Cincinnati, OH - "...The trail currently stretches a little over half a mile, from Madison Avenue in Hyde Park to Tamarack Avenue. Phase two will run from Tamarack to Montgomery Road, adding another 0.7 miles to the trail." more...
VeoRide Bikes find a Home on WKU's Campus
KY - "...The bikes, which arrived on campus a week before the end of the fall 2018 semester, are similar to Bird scooters and other ride sharing programs, allowing students to pick up and drop off the bikes at any location..." more
Moose Carcass Near Trail Fuels Controversy
AK - "A moose carcass discarded near a bike trail along the Old Glenn Highway has been removed." more...
Advocates Rally Outside 'The View''
NYC - "...'Traffic violence is a preventable public health crisis and Whoopi Goldberg is misusing her huge megaphone and sharing incorrect information,' said Amy Cohen, whose 12-year-old son Sammy Cohen Eckstein was killed by a driver in 2013..." more
- MA: New phase of Haverhill rail trail chugging along
- CA: Don't bail on the Vine Trail
- WA: Can I take an abandoned Lime bike to the dump?
- AUS: Lessons from Australia’s first e-scooter sharing trial
- IA: Money raised to repair Wolf Creek trail bridge
- WA: Community advised to help keep Yakima Greenway clean
- WA: Greenway seeks grant funding to build three new segments of trails
- NY: Greenway funds approved for rails-to-trails project
- MO: Chouteau Greenway project aims to knit St. Louis neighborhoods together
Beltline Bike Path Construction Coming This Year
Hamilton, OH - "Construction will start this year on the 2.96-mile Beltline bicycling/hiking path on Hamilton’s West Side..." more
Road Diet Doing its Job
Columbus, OH - "...Indianola Avenue, however, has stayed on its “road diet” for a year and half now." more...
MLK Speech Noted on Belton Trail
TX - "The words of Martin Luther King Jr.’s 'I Have a Dream' speech dotted the Nolan Creek Hike and Bike Trail for five days leading up to the holiday honoring the civil rights icon." more...
Bike Numbers Spike During Viadoom
Seattle, WA - "...Use of the city’s bike routes dramatically increased after the Alaskan Way Viaduct was closed on Jan. 11 — despite cold temperatures and some rain at times..." more
Autonomous Bikes & Scooters?
"Uber is looking to integrate autonomous technology into its bike and scooter-share programs." more...
- NY: Frankfort village board OKs trail agreement
- NC: Chapel Hill gets the wheels turning on new bike paths
- CA: Downey to launch bike share program this week
- AK: Proposed mountain bike trail in the Chester Creek greenbelt
- MA: Taunton bike path on track
Snow Removal on Columbus Area Trails
OH - "Many Greenway Trails had snow removed earlier today [1/20/19] thanks to Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks crews..." more
Updating the Lake County Bike Map
OH - "The Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency is holding community meetings for input to update the Lake County Bike Map, last done in 2011." more...
City Considers Bicycle Playground for Youngsters
Sharon, PA - "The Sharon Recreation Commission is on its way to adding another component to the Valley’s growing cycling repertoire." more...
Welcome to Bike 3.0
"To recap Part One, the history of the US bike business post-WWII can be divided into three phases..." more
Bike Sharing Almost a 'No-Brainer' for Windsor
CAN - "A long-contemplated municipal bike share program — once considered expensive and financially risky — can now be done at little or no cost to city taxpayers..." more
- AUS: Bike share operators face tougher fines
- IRE: Cork bike share scheme gears up to expand
- CAN: City plans to spend $6.5M on cycling projects this year
- CAN: Community cycling hubs get things rolling for biking advocates
- OR: Residents wary of street where Eugene pedestrian was killed Thursday
- CA: Bicyclist killed on Highway 101 in Corte Madera
- CO: Rio Grande Trail campaign
- ID: SUV runs over Boise cyclist then speeds off
- IRE: Rail Corridor analysis won’t be completed for at least another year
- UK: Plans for first phase of ambitious cycle route in Wharfedale submitted
Camp Chase Trail Alert
Severe Weather Closures
Summit County, OH - "Due to severe weather, the F.A. Seiberling Visitors Center, Liberty Park Nature Center and Summit Lake Nature Center are CLOSED Sunday, January 20 and Monday, January 21. All programs are canceled. Parks remain open, but some parking lots may be inaccessible..." more
Driver Arrested for Critically Injuring Pedestrian
NY - "...Germain Selby, 39, of Rochdale was arrested on Jan. 18 and charged with failure to exercise due care and failure to yield to a pedestrian who had the right of way." more...
- CAN: Victoria tree advocates go out on a limb to stop city removing downtown aspen
- CA: New multi-use trail proposal raises support and concern
- CA: Napa's Ridge Trail still taking shape after 30 years
A Cordial Meeting on Proposed Solon Trail
Solon, OH - "Disagreement remains on whether or not the proposed Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail should be built." more...
Stay Alert on the Monon Trail
Broad Ripple, IN - "...He pulled his bike back and threw it into mine, and so that knocked me off my bike. I went over my handlebars." more...
Groups Urge City to Move Forward with Trail
NC - "The City of Charlotte needs more money for a promised 26-mile pedestrian and bicycle trail from Pineville to UNC Charlotte – approximately $77 million..." more
Mom Pushes Back on Whoopi's Bike Lane Gripes
NYC - "...It’s devastating to hear someone with such a big megaphone complaining about protected bike lanes..." more
Related: Andrew Cuomo also blames bike lanes for congestion. more...
Engineering Group Takes on High Speed Limits
"...The National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, a powerful group of engineers, voted last week to require city transportation officials to consider 'pedestrian and bicycle activity' when determining the speed limit on most urban and suburban streets. The changes will be incorporated into the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices..." more
Recalls Not Announced During Partial Gov't Shutdown
D.C. - "...The employees are working only on recalls of products that 'create a substantial and immediate threat to the safety of human life,' according to the memo." more...
EU Imposes Stiff Anti-Dumping Duties on Chinese E-Bikes
BEL - "As expected, the European Union has imposed duties on Chinese-made electric bicycles and e-bike components destined for the European Union." more...
- AR: Conway to extend trail after it receives grant
- CA: Liability issues endanger Vine Trail vision
- D.C.: Contentious meeting about Dupont bike lane
- VA: More bike lanes heading to Ocean View
- CAN: Mature tree to make way for bike lanes in the heart of Victoria’s Inner Harbour
- IL: CDOT Installs Posts to Deter Parking in Washington Bike Lane
- AL: State’s first regional bikeshare opens in Calhoun County
- CAN: Lime Calgary ridership pedals past expectations in bike share pilot
- NY: Carey Institute to use $10K grant for rural-urban connections
- CA: Concerns raised over proposed bike path
- GA: Agreement could extend greenway through Oconee Hill Cemetery
- IRE: Council rejects calls for CCTV on Greenway
- NM: 'Regular guy' killed by bicycle thief on Central Ave
Lime Might Find a Home in Worthington
OH - "After a successful six-month trial, Worthington might have a permanent bike-sharing service." more...
Is Traverse City Bucking a Trend?
MI - "Fewer people are riding their bikes to work, but according to Julie Clark, executive director for TART Trails, Traverse City might be bucking that national trend. more...
Ann Arbor Plans Network of Protected Bike Lanes
MI - "Ann Arbor will begin construction on its first protected two-way bike lane this spring." more...
City Funds Next Phase of State Street Revitalization
Columbus, IN - "...A 10-foot-wide multi-use trail will be added at the back of the Third Street curb, in addition to pedestrian lighting, a two-foot-wide brick shy zone similar to what is already on State Street and a brick gateway node..." more
Schuylkill Greenways Launches Updated Website
Pottstown, PA - "...The renovated 'schuylkillriver.org' now encompasses two websites into one, with bonus features." more...
Lakefront Trail Separation Creates Safer Environment
Chicago, IL - "...When 100,000 people share a narrow slab of pavement on an average summer weekend day, there are bound to be issues..." more
Dallas Bike Share Seems to Have Increased Bike Deaths
TX - "A riddle: What happens when you cram more bicyclists onto streets without bike lanes?" more...
DeVos Recovering from Bicycle Accident
D.C. - "Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is in a wheelchair as she recovers from a recent bicycle accident that broke her pelvis and hip socket." more...
Hitman Cyclist Sentenced for Murders
UK - "A British cyclist, runner, and mob hitman has been convicted of the murders of two rival gangsters, in part because of his GPS watch." more...
- NYC: Whoopi Goldberg's take on NYC Bike Lanes
- CA: Not all Santa Cruzans ‘jumping’ for joy with bike share
- CAN: Bike share no solution for transit gaps in Edmonton winters
- CA: Pace Bike Share Program Ribbon Cutting at Iron Horse Trailhead
- FL: Final segment complete in bike trail between St. Johns, Putnam counties
- IL: Troy- O’Fallon Bike Trail expected summer of 2019
- AZ: Uber announces JUMP bike, scooter sharing program in Scottsdale, Mesa
- OR: Finalized funding list for Safe Routes to School projects
- NV: 5 traffic deaths in one weekend in Las Vegas
Grant Sought for B&O Trail Connector
Mansfield, OH - "The City of Mansfield is applying to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for a 2019 Clean Ohio Trail Fund grant to build a 1.13-mile bike trail..." more
Sugarcamp Mountain Trail Receives Expansion Grant
Floyd County, KY - "The Sugarcamp Mountain Trail is about 20 miles long and counting." more...
Newest Segments of East Coast Greenway
"The number of miles of East Coast Greenway built as safe, off-road paths jumped in 2018 by 44.4 miles. The 24 new segments are found in 10 states, Maine to Florida..." more
Driver Offers "Apology" for Hitting 10-Year-Old Bicyclist
"Julian Moore, 10, was upset and insulted by the nonapology..." more
Driver Slams into Cycling Celebrity
"A new video making the rounds in Spain shows just how scary it can be when cyclists must share the road with distracted drivers." more...
We Need Walkable, Wheelable, Scooterable Cities
"Fewer people are walking and more people are voting with their gas pedal." more...
- CA: Pedestrians deaths surge in San Diego in 2018
- NC: ‘Vision Zero’ plan proposes speeding cameras in Charlotte
- NYC: Whoopi Goldberg slams Bill de Blasio over NYC bike lanes
- BEL: How Mobiel 21 is growing the bicycle culture in Belgium
- FL: Orlando painting dockless parking boxes
- TN: Big River Crossing quarterly data reveal increase in bike riders
- MA: Wareham Selectmen mull ditching Bike Path Committee
- CA: Oakland’s Saddest Bike Path
- NJ: ‘Super Bikeway’ Sought
- MN: Baxter City Council looks at pedestrian bridge options
2019 Ohio-to-Erie Trail Maps Available
OH - "...Published in 2019, the entire 326-mile route is shown including mileage and necessary road routes and services..." more
Richland County Parks Hires B&O Trail Manager
Fatal Ohio Bike Crashes in 2018
"...2018 was unusual in a number of ways. First, the location of the fatal crashes was unusual..." more
Plans for Joe Louis Greenway to be Presented
Detroit, Mi - "The Joe Louis Greenway, a 31.5-mile loop of connected trails, made our list of the most exciting developments of 2019..." more
Read the latest edition.
Making Cook County Trails More User Friendly
IL - "...Known as 'wayfinding,' the idea is to provide trail users with more information through signs and other methods to create a strong first impression and increase use." more...
Ghost Bike Removal Causes Controversy
"A homeowner removed a ghost bike from an adjacent public road. The vitim's mother wants it returned." more...
Are Bike Activists Selling Out?
"...As companies like Uber, Lyft, Lime, Bird, and Spin bring the ways of tech to bikes and scooters, they have recruited former cycling, street safety, and urbanism advocates to help them out..." more
People-Before-Cars Transpo Alliance Launches
"The New Urban Mobility alliance – NUMO for short – has been launched today in Washington, D.C..." more
E-Bike Battery Fires Cause Concerns
"...The expert is quoted as saying that Lithium-Ion batteries are, 'rather unreliable, rather explosive. You are never sure if or when they will explode'..." more
New Segway Electric Scooters
"The scooters were designed specifically for sharing services." more...
Transit Pods -- a Sign of Things to Come?
St. Louis, MO - "This is probably what the future looked like when you thought about it as a kid -- lightweight pods zipping people around the city on elevated ribbons called podways." more...
- OR: Crescent Park Greenway project underway
- TN: City approves resolution for Maryland Farms Greenway Trail project
- IRE: Ring announces €800,000 for Greenway developments
- NC: Local volunteers clean up storm damage on Vaughn Creek Greenway
- IRE: Royal Canal Greenway cycle route emerging
- GA: AU begins bike-sharing program called JagRide
- CA: Rail Trail Breaks Ground As Key Vote Looms
- CAN: Objecting to next phase of Belleville’s bike trail
- NY: Rochester bike projects roll on
- WA: Bike commutes appear to spike after viaduct closure
- TX: Make room for scooters, electric bikes on some Austin trails
- CA: Thieves swipe Urban Arrow cargo bikes
Opposed to Development Next to Red Line Greenway
Cleveland, OH - "...I'm very much in favor of dense, urban development. But dense transit-oriented development only works when balanced with accessible green space." more...
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
U.S. Bike Route 23 in Kentucky
Gasgow, KY - "...U.S. Bike Route 23, which includes Mammoth Cave National Park, is 118 miles in length." more...
Insane Driver Runs Over Cyclist
"An Illinois judge found a hit-and-run driver not guilty of attempted murder by reason of insanity." more...
Bike Share Input Mostly Ignored in NYC, Chicago
"When New York and Chicago decided to expand their public bike share systems a few years back, city officials tried to go about it democratically..." more
E-Scooters are a Game Changer
"...We reached out to key bike advocates in Kansas City, Baltimore and Nashville to get a sense of just how big of an impact e-scooters have made in their cities..." more
The Limits of Autonomous Vehicles
"...Waymo’s CEO, John Krafcik, has admitted that a self-driving car that can drive in any condition, on any road, without ever needing a human to take control... will basically never exist..." more
Braking Issue with Lime E-Scooters
"...News broke over the weekend that Lime is pulling all of its e-scooter fleet from Switzerland, after reports came in about people being injured after multiple scooters abruptly braked on their own." more...
How Chinese Bike Share Crashed & Burned
"In a nation once known for cycling, hundreds of thousands of abandoned bikes now litter cities." more...
- MN: YIMBYs — ‘yes in my back yard’ — challenge St. Paul housing, biking, status quo
- TN: 23 pedestrians killed in Nashville, community gathers
- NY: Does NYC Need A 'Bike Mayor'?
- CAN: Vancouver bike share age limit lowered
- OR: Parks bureau will begin paving key section of ‘Sellwood Gap’
- OR: Another student hit by a driver near Harriet Tubman Middle School
- VA: Fredericksburg to add bike path, links to city's popular trails
- IA: Committee eager for SL bike routes, park development
- GA: Additional section of Cricket Frog Trail paved
- WA: Seattle bike share programs show infrequent helmet use
- NLD: Amsterdam e-bike sharing startups to get €1.2M subsidy from Brussels
Cost & Use of Trails Discussed
Goshen, IN - "A fold-out brochure that contains maps of the bicycle and multi-use routes and trails in Michiana, stirred emotions Saturday morning at the Elkhart County Council meeting." more...
E-Bike Catches Fire During Ride
AUS - "An Adelaide man has had a lucky escape after the lithium battery on his electric bike exploded." more...
- CT: New London obtains money for new walking and biking trail
- IRE: Cork County Council to vote on €15m greenway
- NH: Bike-hike trail on Amherst
- MA: Wellfleet rail trail extension design draws petitioners
Winter Maintenance on the Cannonball Trail
NW OH - "Clearing down[ed] tree on north fork today..." more
Cyclists Killed on Highway 30
OR - "...40-year-old Dustan Thompson was driving a semi-truck (without a trailer attached) southbound on the highway (toward Portland) in the rightmost lane when he collided with 54-year-old Scottie Graser. Graser was riding in the same direction..." more
Trail Users Ignoring Hunting Notices
NY - "The recreation trail at the Calverton Enterprise Park is closed this month for deer hunting season — but town officials are having a hard time keeping bicyclists and hikers off the trail..." more
Bike Lane Sabotage Continues to Spread
Manhattan, NY - "...On Thursday, police say someone intentionally sprinkled shards of glass for blocks and blocks - on the brand new bike lanes on 12th and 13th Streets, which move crosstown through the Village." more...
Getting Cars Out of Bike Lanes
- LA: Bike-share program closer to reality in Baton Rouge
- TX: VeoRide bicycles arrive on Texas A&M campus
- NY: A 2019 transportation wish list for Staten Island
- TX: Cyclist death prompts road safety discussion
- NY: Greenway panel to vote on funds for two Niagara Falls park projects
- MO: Future safety island to be built on Frisco Trail crossing
- MS: Master plan unveiled for walking, biking trails in Jackson County
Little Miami Scenic Trail Section Work Complete
Junior Ranger Pitches in to Keep CVNP Clean
Stow, OH - "Some people enjoying the Cuyahoga Valley National Park during the partial government shutdown have forgotten to 'leave no trace,' but a junior ranger is on patrol removing their litter." more...
Towns get Trail Grants for 19 Projects
CT - "The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has awarded over $3 million in grants for 19 projects to enhance trails and greenways in towns throughout the state..." more
Residents Prepare to Fight Development near Greenway
Murfreesboro, TN - "A group of nearly 60 concerned Murfreesboro residents challenging a housing development proposal that would be built near the city's greenway..." more
Death of Bike Commuting Exaggerated
"Though fewer americans biked to work in 2017 compared to previous years, bike commuting is still way up in the last decade." more...
- TX: Ofo bicycles picked up in Bryan and College Station
- TX: Downton-museum district bike route blueprint
- CA: Santa Cruz trestle widening hailed as first Coastal Rail Trail segment
- CO: Rico Trails Alliance cycles through a hefty to-do list
- CT: Groups band together to form Eastern Riverina Rail Trail Alliance
- GA: Norcross awarded funds to begin Beaver Ruin Greenway
- OR: Help us find the person throwing nails in the Interstate Avenue bike lane
- OR: Better Naito will return three months early this year
Franklin Seeking Grant for Trail Extension
Driver Pleads Guilty in Fatal Crash
Elyria, OH - "An Amherst man pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in connection with a crash in which a bicyclist was struck and killed in October 2017." more...
Did You Know that Bike Licenses are Required in Stow?
OH - "Stow council member at-large Mike Rasor said he’s been breaking the law -- he and thousands of other residents who live in the city of Stow." more...
$150K Settlement Expected in Apparatus Crash
Dayton, OH - "In 2015, a then-18-year-old bicyclist was hit by and trapped under a Dayton Fire Department apparatus. Now, the city is expected to settle a civil lawsuit by the bicyclist." more...
A Case for Bike Commuting in Seattle
WA - "There's definitely not going to be anything convenient about the upcoming Seattle Squeeze..." more
Residents Call for More Bike Lanes
Hampton, VA - "There's a growing concern among drivers in Hampton and York County about an increase in cyclists on a busy stretch of road." more...
1st Greenway Sweep of the Year
Medford, OR - "With a new year sometimes comes new beginnings, but for the City of Medford, 2019 looks to provide more of the same — in the form of periodic sweeps of the Bear Creek Greenway." more...
Are National Parks Closed During Shutdown?
U.S. - "...unlike in October 2013, when an Obama-era impasse resulted in a 16-day shutdown, the gates to national parks across the country have remained open. Parking lots aren’t barricaded and trailheads aren’t blocked..." more
Anatomy of an Electric Scooter Crash
"...What happens when a new mobility mode meets the American legal system?" more...
Paris will Roll Out Free Transit
FRA - "Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo... wants to make it easier for kids and families to travel the city sustainably by using transit or bike share." more...
- OR: Rogue River Greenway Trail construction to begin this summer
- IRE: County Councils’ Grand plans for Canal Greenway
- FL: County approves bike trail
- GA: Two new PATH trails will serve Emory campus
- CO: EPCC improves bike infrastructure in town
- ND: Traffic deaths declined in North Dakota in 2018
- OR: Portland moves forward with neighborhood greenway projects
- WA: Want some company biking downtown?
- AL: Unique bicycle stolen
- UK: Government Investment In Cycling Through New Market Data Service
South Old State Road Sidepath Construction
Columbus, OH - "...Newest addition along west side of South Old State Road - between Wilshire/Gladshire Blvd, E. Powell, Polaris, Wystone Dr." more...
Sparks Fly in Debate Over Electric Bicycles
NYC - "As the city’s bicycle culture continues to grow, electric bikes remain a flashpoint regarding pedestrian safety and which types of e-bikes – and what type of speed — should be allowed." more...
Bird Ends Bike Lane Subsidy
"The scooter company Bird has quietly abandoned its much-hyped plan to give cities $1 per scooter per day to build bike infrastructure..." more
Ofo Dismantles Overseas Business Unit
Shanghai - "Multiple Asian news sites are reporting that bike share giant Ofo has dissolved its overseas business unit, retreating from operating in the U.S., Hong Kong, Singapore and France." more...
- WA: Seattle highway shutdown
- OR: Showdown looms for major bike parking policy update
- WA: Waterfront bike routes will remain open during upcoming SR 99 closure
- CA: Joshua Tree park remaining open despite government shutdown
- FL: Bike-sharing program coming to Anna Maria Island
- CO: Breckenridge officials see path for e-bikes (but not scooters) in town’s future
- MA: Here’s how Massachusetts plans to be more bike-friendly
- AUS: Canberra's dockless share bikes set to roll
- NC: Middle Fork Greenway eyes halfway point by summer 2020
- NY: Funding allows DL&W Greenway and Linear Park to Commence
- CT: New London To Receive State Grant For Greenway Project
- WI: Summer work will hamper key bike route
- CA: Bike, Pedestrian, and Transit Projects Garner Top Engineering Awards
- MN: Winona approves plan for upgrading bluff trails
Trails Highlight Park District Accomplishments
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...Two of the most exciting multi-use trail accomplishments of the 2018 season included clearing the last section the HOOT (Heart of Ohio Trail) from Huffman Road to the Knox/Licking County line, which can now be mountain biked or hiked, and the completion of the Mohican Valley Trail repaving project from the Bridge of Dreams to the Knox/Holmes to the Knox/Holmes County line..." more
Related: Read the latest edition of the Knox County park newsletter.
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Development
Bike Left for a Christmas Gift
Bay Village, OH - "On Dec. 25, an officer reported that a bicycle had been left by the pedestrian door on the west side of the police station..." more
Victim's Mother Wants Justice
Warren, OH - "...Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins and Miriam Fife have worked together to see justice done in the murder of Fife’s son, Raymond, since September 1985, when Raymond, 12, was brutally murdered as he rode his bicycle to a Boy Scouts meeting." more...
Philly's Plan for Safer Residential Streets
PA - "From more than 20 Slow Zone applications, just two will be chosen for the pilot." more...
Bikes Rescued from Recycling Bin
Erie, PA - "Many seemingly good bicycles were discovered in a recycling bin at Erie's Salvation Army store in Summit Twp." more...
Former Uber Driver Pleads Guilty to Killings
MI - "A former Uber driver charged with killing six people during an hours-long shooting rampage in Michigan nearly three years ago, pleaded guilty to all charges on Monday..." more
Group Crowdfunds for New Bike Trail
Roanoke, VA - "A Roanoke Cycling group is working to get new bike trails in the city and they've turned to crowdfunding to raise money for the project." more...
Nails in the Bike Lane
Portland, OR - "...The case of nails being strewn in the bike lane on North Interstate Avenue has gone unsolved for years. Now the police and a city commissioner are on the case." more...
What's Next for Walking & Biking in the U.S?
"In 2019, our movement of biking advocates will have several opportunities to create a more Bicycle Friendly America on Capitol Hill and through local partners at the community level..." more
- MA: Boston bombing survivor hit by car
- GA: Atlanta passes new e-scooter law
- OR: Scooters back in the news: Bird in Salem and Portland
- WA: Bellevue is creating a Vision Zero action plan
- ID: E-bikes, scooters on a path to all paths in Moscow this spring
- VA: First Dockless Scooter Permit Approved In Alexandria
- TX: OjO's sit-down scooter-share debuts in Austin
- MN: 3 arrested for bike trail murder
- FL: Alachua County approves bid for rail-trail land
- IA: Warm Winter Weather Could Mean More Money For Central Iowa Trail
- NC: Landis passes on $3.9 million greenway project
- IRE: Offaly's Grand Canal Greenway gets huge €400k funding boost
- NC: Charlotte $77 million short for 26-mile greenway project
Funding Could Close Olentangy Trail Gap
Columbus, OH - "...The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission on Dec. 18 released a list of proposed new transportation projects around central Ohio that could receive federal funding. That list included nearly $3.5 million to close the Clintonville gap in the Olentangy Trail..." more
Teen Cyclist Hit by Driver, Seriously Injured
The Plains, OH - "A 15-year-old boy suffered serious injuries Saturday after being hit by a car on Ohio Rt. 682, just outside The Plains, while riding his bicycle." more...
Detroit Bike & Trail Projects for 2019
MI - "...In 2019, there will be an 'overwhelming' amount of bike and trail projects throughout the city, according to Detroit Greenways, a nonprofit organization that promotes biking, walking, tails and complete streets in Detroit." more...
New Transport App Launches
"...the app launched in 15 cities around the world, including Los Angeles, with plans to add about five cities a month." more...
Why Pedestrians ‘Break the Rules’
"...They’re more likely engage in risky behavior — like walking or rolling in the street or crossing mid-block — when the pedestrian infrastructure is incomplete or lacking." more...
China Elevates Bike Lanes
CHN - "...In the southern Chinese city of Xiamen, a visionary solution to the problem is the Bike Skyway, which enables cyclists to literally soar over cars and pedestrians on the street below." more...
Dutch Cycle Lane Hell
"Police union chief says it is impossible to keep lanes safe due to variety of vehicles and rules." more...
- SC: Gotcha Launches First Campus Bike Share System
- TN: Clarksville BCycle celebrates third year
- MN: Open houses set for St. Paul off-street hike and bike trail designs
- NY: Kudos to Gov. Cuomo for rail trail
- DE: Phase II of the Lewes-Georgetown Trail
- IL: Why parts of the Pedway can be such a mess in the winter
- CA: Mayor’s Bonebreaking Bike Collision Was No ‘Accident’
- OR: TriMet does not recognize trike as mobility device
- D.C.: Policy change allows bike riders to bring bicycles on Metro trains
- UK: Brompton stockpiles £1m of bike parts
Richland B&O Trail Section Closure
Butler, OH - From facebook.com/slowrollmansfield/, "Purdy Construction is starting clearing the Butler bridge log jam today and will be there until about Wed. 1/09. The [.5-mile] section of trail from 97 to the bridge and the opposite side of the bridge from Butler will be blocked through that time."
Middle Neshaminy Greenway Trail Open House
Newtown, PA - "The proposed alignment of the Middle Neshaminy Greenway Trail... is underway, and the Bucks County Planning Commission wants the public’s input." more...
Florida’s Biking Problem
"...I just think the motorists are just too uneducated, too distracted, they drive too fast, and we allow a certain level of behavior on our roadways that consistently imperils the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians..." more
Raised Crosswalk Aggravates Drivers
CAN - "...These are generally located near schools and are walkable speed humps that are at the same grade as the sidewalk on either side of the street..." more
Welcome to Bike 3.0
"This is Part 1 of a two-part series exploring the new market dynamic for the specialty [bicycle] retail segment, how we got there, and how the industry can respond and adapt to the new reality..." more
- OR: Portland traffic fatalities drop, while state deaths rise
- CO: Denver sidewalks to start seeing upgrades
- GA: Uber launches electric bike service in Atlanta
- CO: Will Breckenridge backpedal on e-bikes?
- AR: Cycle track, new sidewalks planned for Maple Street
- MO: Area volunteers ready trails in preparation for spring
- NY: Trails are safer than abandoned rail beds
- MT: Man rescued after snow bike accident
- UT: Where are the most dangerous roads to bike in Utah?
Connecting Portage Bike Paths
Portage County, OH - "Could Mickey Marozzi, our Portage County engineer, be a key player in turning the county’s two parallel bike-friendly trails, the Headwaters and The Portage Hike and Bike Trail, into a true bicycle trail network?" more...
Road Rage Incident Lands Cyclist in Hospital
OH - "...Last July, they decided to take a ride along a road they've ridden dozens of times along Belpoint Road and Hinton Mills in Union County." more...
Did USA Today Publish Bad Numbers on Bay Area Cycling?
CA - "National newspaper writes that bicycle commuting dropped 19.9 percent in San Francisco... except that it didn't." more...
- OR: US judge rules against off-roading in Ochoco National Forest
- CAN: Bike-sharing firms slam door on Sault cyclists
- IRE: Greenway opportunity for Robertstown
- TX: We have a lot to accomplish in 2019
- ID: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Fremont County
Open House Event for New OTE Trail Section
Galena, OH - "Preservation Parks of Delaware County will hold a public open house and is seeking public comment on a proposed project to pave a 2.2-mile segment of the Ohio to Erie multiuse trail northeast of Sunbury..." more
Tree Removal on Heart of Ohio Trail
Knox County, OH - "Hardwick Tree Service will be working along the Heart of Ohio Trail this winter, removing trees that are too close to the blacktop, clearing lines of site at road intersections, and removing dead trees..." more
Stolen ToleGo Bike Found
Toledo, OH - "Police are still looking for a man who stole a ToleGo bicycle that was later found Friday evening." more...
More on New Ohio E-Bike Law
Winesburg, OH - "...starting next year, all E-bikes will be required to have prominently displayed labels." more...
Learn more about what e-bikes can do and how they may impact your local trails. more...
Meet America's New Rail-Trails of 2018
"This year was an exciting one for the rail-trail movement; as 2018 comes to a close, nearly 2,100 rail-trails are now open across the country..." more
Are E-Scooters a Threat to E-Bikes?
"Before I present my thoughts, it is only fair that I provide an introduction and confess..." more
- SGP: Ofo Singapore users complain of fewer bikes
- FL: Woman seriously hurt in scooter crash in Fort Lauderdale
- NC: City reopens greenway
- CT: Connecting a final gap along the Charter Oak Greenway
- VA: The bike trail that wasn’t
- VA: Master plan for Riverwalk connection
- MA: Assabet River Rail Trail will provide winter fun
- OR: A planned project could have prevented fatal collision
Construction Along Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "There will be construction occurring along the Olentangy Trail in the OSU section between Herrick Drive and King Avenue from January 7th thru January 31.
"The trail will not be closed. A temporary bypass path will be provided around the work site."
Uber Charging $25 to Use Bikes Outside of "Bike Zone"
Seattle, WA - "...The zone will expand and ultimately go away as Uber adds more bikes." more...
Parking in Protected Bike Lanes Poses Danger
CA - "...There are red curbs to deter cars, but people are still parking in the no parking zones." more...
New Law Affects Scooter, Bike Trails
CA - "New road rules went into effect Tuesday for drivers across the Central Coast and state of California with an emphasis on helmet use for motorized scooters as well as reporting hit-and-run collisions on bike trails." more...
Lessons From Once-Mighty Bike Share Giants
"...E-scooter companies would be wise to adopt a different business model instead of attempting to scale up rapidly..." more
Counting Bikes in the U.S.
"...A few months ago, in collaboration with the BFC, we conducted a survey to examine the current state of bicycle counting. The survey provided a timely and much needed understanding of the way communities across the country approach bike counting, including the challenges and opportunities they face." more...
Bike-Friendly Mayor Hurt in Car-Bike Collision
CA - "Sam Liccardo, the mayor of San Jose, California, was hospitalized with a broken sternum and vertebrae." more...
- NYC: Cuomo’s L-Train Bombshell Should Not Also Kill Bus and Bike Improvements
- CA: San Diego begins construction on protected bike lanes
- IRE: First section of Slieve Bloom Bike Trail opens
- MO: Work Begins On Connecting Grant’s Trail To River des Peres Greenway
- AL: City seeking input on cycling, greenway needs
- WA: Check Out What Seattle Did with a Dead-End Street
Towpath Flooding & Hunting Closures
Stark County, OH - From Stark Parks, "Flooding over the trail has closed several spots. Expect varying trail conditions at Lake Ave. in Massillon, north of Lake Lucerne near the Summit County line, and Wooster St. near Navarre.
"The Towpath Trail between Riverland Ave. and the Tuscarawas County Line (Rt. 212) will be closed due to hunting on nearby private property from Jan. 5 to 8, 2019."
2-Year-Old Struck by Driver on Sidewalk
Cincinnati, OH - "A 2-year-old boy is fighting for his life at Cincinnati Children's Hospital after he was hit by a truck on the sidewalk." more...
Becoming a Bike-Friendly Business
Cleveland, OH - "...Cyclists like to frequent businesses they identify as bike friendly, and prospective & current employees will view your company more favorably if you take a forward approach to integrating bicycles into your company culture." more...
Trash Problem at Cuyahoga Valley National Park
OH - "...Staff members are asking the public to pack their trash out with them instead of leaving it in the park until the [government] shutdown ends." more...
Metro Opens Door to Bikes During Rush Hour
D.C. - "...The policy change is the result of decades of advocacy by local bike advocates, dating back to a seminal protest at which cyclists carried cardboard bicycles aboard Metro trains to demonstrate that there was enough room..." more
Study Reveals Some Drivers Think They Own the Road
"This will come as a surprise to exactly no one who rides a bike, but there are some car drivers out there who don’t like cyclists. Like, really don’t like cyclists." more...
Planners Outline Bike Beltway Vision
D.C. - "Transportation planners are sketching out a vision to build out a fully connected regional bike trail network by 2045, linking a “Bike Beltway” around D.C. to the rest of the suburbs surrounding the capital." more...
Thief Tries to Steal Bike at Police Station
OR - "The would-be thief surrendered after an officer walked out the front door to confront him." more...
Airbnb-Style Bicycle Rental Platform
UK - "...What would be ideal would be the ability to hop on your own bike. This is often impossible so the next best thing would be to rent a lookalike – or even a superbike..." more
- CAN: I'll bet bike share could change the game in Edmonton
- WA: More bike racks coming to Ballard and Fremont in 2019
- FL: Lime E-Assist Bikes in Orlando Creates “Dockless” Experience
- VA: New year, old problems for Roanoke trails and greenways
- CO: Longmont's 2019 projects to include construction at city parks, greenways
- NM: Rio Grande trail project one step closer to completion
- OR: Plan for new bikeway and signal on Lombard
- WA: 2018 Seattle bike counts up 32 percent on 2nd Ave downtown
Westerville Northfield Pathway
Westerville, OH - "Future north/south trail corridor (~1,200 long) that's been partially blazed between Maxtown Rd and Westdale Ave in far north Westerville." more...
Pittsburgh Drafting AV Reporting Rules
PA "...Mr. Peduto thinks it’s reasonable for companies testing robot cars on city streets to report incidents that wouldn’t necessarily end up in a police report." more...
Landowners File Lawsuit Against Rock Island Trail
MO - "...Two lawsuits contend land owners adjacent to the corridor should be compensated..." more
Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars
Chandler, AZ - "...Some people have pelted Waymo vans with rocks, according to police reports. Others have repeatedly tried to run the vehicles off the road..." more
Bikes for Disabled People in Cardiff
UK - "People with disabilities will be able to hire specially adapted bikes around Cardiff via an app as a public cycle share scheme expands across the city." more...
- MN: St. Paul’s First-Ever Pedestrian Plan
- TX: San Antonio mayor’s transit plan
- LA: What’s next for New Orleans' bike lane network?
- WA:Seattle will get a major bike rack boost in 2019
- D.C.: The District’s long road to building a half-mile bike lane
- UK: Elan Valley Trust submit plans for more adventurous bike trails
- GA: New stretch of Pinhoti Trail opens near Cedartown
Plans for 'Hanging Rock' Marker along Bike Path
Chardon, OH - "...City Manager Randy Sharpe noted that the city obtained a grant to recognize 'Hanging Rock' with a historical marker. The site will be on the next portion of the Maple Highlands Trail south of the square. more...
Knox County Parks 2018 Recap
Mt Vernon, OH - "...Our interns hosted numerous programs from Birding by Kayak to Moonlit Miles on the bike trails and a band concert at Thayer Ridge Park..." more
Master Plan for 500-Mile Trail
Santa Fe, NM - "A master plan that charts out the next steps for developing a 500-mile trail along the Rio Grande from one end of New Mexico to the other has been adopted." more...