Regional, U.S. & International News
Philly Looks to More Traffic Cops to Improve Safety
Philadelphia, PA - "...The glut of activity, a side effect of Center City’s successful growth, contributes to making Center City streets such as Walnut, Chestnut, and Market among the most dangerous in the city..." more
Discarded Bike Share Bikes Turned into Art?
Dallas, TX - "At least one person has resorted to making street art installations out of the shared bikes that are littering the streets of Dallas." more...
Adaptive Bike-Share Pilot a Success
Portland, OR - "...The Adaptive Biketown pilot ran for 14 weeks, from late July to the end of October..." more
Residents Say no to Barrow Greenway
IRE - "...surveys showed that walking was the most popular of all activity holidays visitors took here and the hard surface was less comfortable for walkers and would encourage cyclists to go at a speed which intimidated walkers and other users..." more
- GA: From walking trails to streets, Columbus looking trashier than ever
- AUS: Bike trail will drive economic growth
- TX: Belton considers options for trail link
- HKG: 13 bike-share cycles found abandoned on hiking trail
- CAN: P.E.I. fatbikers say the sport is growing on the Island
Mini 'High Line' Envisioned for Columbus
Columbus, OH - "Imagine walking or bicycling along an abandoned rail line with a clear view of the Downtown skyline. That’s what’s being planned for Franklinton: a mini-version of Manhattan’s wildly popular High Line trail." more...
National Parks Government Shutdown Notice
CVNP, OH - From nps.gov/cuva (Cuyahoga Valley National Park), "...Trails and roads will remain open. Restrooms and visitor facilities will be closed. For more information, see www.doi.gov/shutdown."
Vermillion Group Widening Support for Trails
Vermillion County, IN - "...They were coming our way on the old railroad bridge. It seems kind of imperative that we acquire the railroad grade on our side [of the county line] so the trail along the bridge can go somewhere..." more
Couple Donates $2M to Greenway Project
Grand Haven, MI - "A couple has donated $2 million to support the Grand River Greenway Trail project in western Michigan." more...
What Are Sharrows Good For?
"Maligned and misunderstood, sharrows are the cause of much frustration for cyclists and drivers alike. But they can play an important role—if they’re used correctly." more...
MIT Builds Autonomous Bicycle
"MIT has unveiled its new autonomous bicycle, with promises to make the transport of packages and movement of city dwellers easier." more...
- TN: Bridge restoration part of new Candies Creek Greenway
- AR: Mountain bike trail planned at Lake Alma
- CO: Skico eyes new biking ‘flow’ trails
- CO: Lack of funds puts crimp in Palisade Plunge plan
MT Bike Trail Coming to Boyle
KY - "...the Boyle County Industrial Foundation’s board of directors unanimously approved two perpetual trail easements on Jan. 11, which make it possible to create a mountain bike park..." more
Goshen Studies Bike & Ped Plan
IN - "With the help of a comprehensive study, city leaders may soon be able to steer a plan for bicycle and pedestrian infrastructure into reality." more...
Allegan County Backs Bike Path along Lakeshore
MI - "...The proposed 20-mile non-motorized path is planned to run on the west side of Blue Star Highway from South Haven to Saugatuck..." more
180-Mile Yellowstone Bike Trail in-the-Works
"...The Greater Yellowstone Trail is a 180-mile loop of paved and gravel road that will circumscribe the park across all three of the states it encompasses. Scheduled to open in 2019, the Trail was made by piecing together existing biking and hiking trails..." more
Student Shows How to Redesign Streets Around his High School
Seattle, WA - "...The ideas he presents are bold, thoughtful and based on real-world examples from around the world..." more
Helping Cars Talk to Bikes for Safer Streets
"A new partnership with Ford and Tome shows how cycling interests are finally being included in the development of driverless cars. Here's what it could mean for the future of our roads." more...
How Poor Street Design Prevents Women from Walking
"... I was confident the kids could walk that far, and I knew it would be the healthier and more interesting choice for all of us--but without good walkability, I wasn’t sure that I could keep them all safe." more...
- SC: What's the status of the Swamp Rabbit Trail expansion?
- CA: Missouri Flat bike trail opening
- SD: Forest Service OKs fat bike trails
- CA: celebrating a new river trail that essentially goes nowhere
- AL: Birmingham considers Richard Arrington Vulcan Greenway
- GA: Eminent domain case for Brookhaven’s Greenway property heats up
- FIN: Safety Agency recommends helmets and lights for old people using walkers
Retiming Traffic Signals to Improve Safety
Richmond, VA - "...The City is leveraging this timing project as part of an overall $3.5 million initiative to improve pedestrian safety..." more
Raleigh Plans its First 'Cycle Track'
NC - "...It will essentially be a two-way street just for bicycles running down one side of West Street, set off from car traffic with signs, traffic tape, flexible posts or planters." more...
Deadly Road Design in Atlanta
GA - "The mere presence of bus stops near destinations doesn’t make a place transit-friendly or walkable — not when streets are deadly for pedestrians..." more
Why Drivers Don't 'See' Cyclists
"New research explains why cyclists can enter a driver's field of vision but still go unseen—a phenomenon known as 'inattentional blindness.'" more
Blame the Infrastructure, not the Cyclist
"I broke my jaw last July after falling off my bike. I was headed south on 14th Street in Columbia Heights in Washington, D.C., and swerved to avoid another cyclist, who was riding in the opposite direction in my one-way, painted lane..." more
E-bikes: Education, Training & the Law
"...My purpose in writing this post is to point cyclists and cycling instructors in the direction of educational, training, skills and legal aspects associated with e-bike use. This serves only as a starting point. Never stop learning and improving your skills, whether on a 'traditional' bike or e-bike!" more
- MO: Regional bike, pedestrian plan nearing completion
- IRE: Royal Canal Greenway needs to be marketed
- UK: Work to commence on £350,000 Comber Greenway widening scheme
- IRE: Greenway construction in Dublin delayed nearly a year
- NM: Albuquerque cycling group pushes for ban on parking in bike lanes
- CT: Town Agrees To Pay $2.1M To Woman Injured In Bicycle Cras
Cuyahoga Greenway Planning Enters Round 2
Cleveland, OH - "...In round two, what you’re going to see is the analysis we’ve done so far and the data and feedback we’ve collected, as well as the results from the ongoing survey..." more
New Trails will Bring Benefits to Athens County
Athens County, OH - "...When finished, the 88-mile system of trails will connect and add on to multiple mountain bike trails and multi-use trails throughout Athens County..." more
Cadiz Considers Nature Trail
Cadiz, OH - "Mike Sliva and Mark Chisnell of the Cadiz Community Improvement Corporation (CCIC) spoke to council concerning a proposed nature trail that would run from Ohio 9 near the entrance of the new Harrison Hills City School District to Country Club Road..." more
Creating '20-Minute' Neighborhoods in Cincy
Cincinnati, OH - "...research shows an increased demand for hyper-local, "20-minute" communities where citizens can access neighborhood amenities like stores, parks and entertainment in just a short walk." more
Hudson Greenway Terrorist Wants to Avoid Death Penalty
NY - "Lawyers for a man charged with killing eight people in a Halloween attack on a New York City bike path said he would plead guilty if the death penalty is not an option." more...
$620K Trail Study Awarded
CA - "Sonoma County’s Regional Parks Department has been awarded a $620,000 state grant to study the feasibility of creating a bicycle and pedestrian trail along the lower Russian River." more...
'20 Is Plenty' Rolls Out in Portland
Portland, OR - "Today the Portland will make official one of the key pillars in the war on speeding: A blanket 20 mph speed limit on 70 percent of our entire street network." more...
LimeBike Blames Residents for Stray Bikes
Dallas, TX - "...This week, one company pointed the finger at Dallas residents for some of those issues saying they're making it look like a dump." more...
A Message to President Trump & Congress
"...Trails, and more specifically trail networks, must be part of any infrastructure plan that comes out of Congress. Just like roads and railroads, they are fundamental infrastructure for a modern American economy and way of life." more...
- OK: Tahlequah group working to get mountain bike trail system started
- CA: Body discovered along Montebello bike path; murder investigation underway
- MA: Bikeways Committees Wrestle With Rail Trail Branding
- IRE: Passage West greenway may stay in county
- WA: Penultimate section of the E Lake Sammamish Trail opens today
Ohio River Trail Extension Back on Track
Cincinnati, OH - "...As 2017 drew to a close, a group of governments and a nonprofit health organization scraped together the local match, to keep the $4 million federal grant." more...
Little Miami & Ohio River Trail Connections
Cincinnati, OH - "Design of the final segment of the Little Miami Scenic Trail needed to connect it to the Ohio River Trail – and eventually downtown Cincinnati – will be completed by 2019, with construction set to be finished by 2021.
Philly Could Woo Amazon with Better Bike Lanes
Philadelphia, PA - "...In light of the recent news about our bike lanes, though, Philadelphia may need to think about doing more to impress Amazon." more...
Trail Crossing Bid Approved
IN - "...There will be a 'refuge island' in the center of the street at the crossing where bikes and pedestrians can wait for traffic to clear." more...
California Commuters Take to the Sea
CA - "Mudslides have closed US 101 above Los Angeles, so tourist boats are offering an ad-hoc ferry service between Ventura and Santa Barbara." more...
Road Diet Cuts Crashes by 90%
CA - "A breakthrough design on La Jolla Boulevard in San Diego cuts crashes by 90 percent and gives local business a shot in the arm." more...
Florida’s Miami LOOP
FL - "...Termed by one state trail advocate as 'an extraordinarily brilliant idea,' and with plans to link a network of existing trails and planned routes, the LOOP would cut a 225-mile triangular path through Miami-Dade County with a grand vision to “expand transportation options..." more
New Chair at NCUTCD
"The men and women who write the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices are an obscure bunch. But their influence over our living environments and how we get around extends almost everywhere you go in America." more...
- MA: Brewster Bike Trail Extension Receives $86,000 Grant
- OR: Community rallies against ODOT’s plans to tear down bridge
- CA: Ford GoBikes are going electric in San Francisco
- CAN: Toronto Police tells peds: "Road safety – It starts with you."
Broadview Heights Adding Bike Lane
Broadview Heights, OH - "The city of Broadview Heights is looking to add bike lanes along Wallings Road between Broadview Road and the Brecksville border." more...
Work Continues to Enhance Summit Lake Area
Akron, OH - "Neighborhoods on the east and west shores of Summit Lake will see more options for recreational activities and a variety of enhancements to public spaces in 2018..." more
Sidewalks Coming for Colerain Students
Cincinnati, OH - "After years of complaints about Colerain High School students walking down the middle of Joseph Road, a workable solution may be on the way." more
Foundations Contribute $860K to Greenway
Grand Haven, MI - "Two western Michigan foundations have together contributed $860,000 toward a trail effort that would connect Grand Haven in Ottawa County to Millennium Park in Kent County. more...
Ofo Bike Share Employees Cite Poor Working Conditions
"...there's a lot of guys riding in the back of vans with no seat belts..." more
Trails Closed at Night for Owls
CA - "In a deal to protect breeding owls, the Marin County Open Space District has agreed to close 10 trails at night..." more
Study: Cycling Does No Harm to Men's Sexual Health
"Researchers compared cyclists with runners and swimmers and found their sexual and urinary health was comparable." more
- TX: Houston's handling of waste from bike lanes project in question
- CA: Woman bicyclist killed after being hit by two cars in Paradise
- UK: Appeal for volunteers to support popular cycle route
- NZL: Connecting community split by motorway
- OR: Speed limits expected to drop on Portland residential streets
Cuyahoga County Greenway Meetings
Cleveland, OH - "...On Wednesday and Thursday at locations across the county, a team of planners and engineers will hold public listening sessions to get reactions on the first rough draft of what's being called the Cuyahoga Greenways." more...
Paint Creek Trail E-Newsletter
Fayette & Ross Counties, OH - Read the winter edition.
Bike Lanes Rarely Plowed in Philly
Philadelphia, PA - "Society Hill resident and cyclist Jon Williams was fed up with the city’s response to the snow storms earlier this month, especially as it pertained to the bike lanes outside his house..." more
Bike & Ped Plan Draw Concerns
PA - "Downtown GC parking is already at a premium, locals say." more...
- AUS: Entry fees proposed to maintain Mount Canobolas
- ME: Bethel trail system promoting outdoor activities
- CA: Marin supervisor iffy on bike lane for Richmond bridge
Bike-Hike Trail Section to Close for 3 Days
Hudson, OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "The Akron Bike and Hike Trail, between the SR 303 trailhead and Route 8, will be closed from Tuesday, 1/16 to Friday, 1/19 while a contractor collects soil borings."
$2M Gift for Greenway Trail
Ottawa County, MI - "A $2 million gift from the Bill and Bea Idema Foundation to the Ottawa County park system announced Friday will help shore up support for the long-planned Grand River Explorers Trail greenway project." more...
- SD: USFS authorizes trails for fat bike use
- WI: Valhalla Recreation Area open to fat tire bikes
- IRE: Calls for the new Dublin-Clondra greenway to be marketed like Waterford
Central Ohio Trail Alerts
Columbus, OH - From Franklin MetroParks, "The Alum Creek Trail is flooded north of 3 Creeks Park.
"There are 4-5ft. snow drifts on some sections of the Camp Chase Trail. Please use caution in these areas."
Connecting the Little Miami Trail with Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH - "...This project will include a bridge over the Little Miami Scenic River, a retaining wall underneath the bridge, and a tunnel under the State Route 32 westbound ramp to Beechmont Avenue.
"Design of this phase is fully funded and is expected to be complete in 2018. The project has received a federal Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality grant in the amount of $4.3M, and construction is scheduled to begin in summer of 2019." more...
Effort Seeks to Fill Olentangy Trail Gap
Columbus, OH - "...Currently, a gap in the trail from Northmoor Park to Clinton-Como Park forces cyclists to ride on surface streets and to cross West North Broadway at its signalized intersection with Milton Avenue." more...
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
Read the latest edition.
Troy-O'Fallon Bike Trail Nearing Completion
IL - "...When finished, the $9.9 million project, which is largely being constructed on abandoned railroad right of way, will link up the 130 miles of pedestrian/bike trails that crisscross Madison County with the 183 miles of shared-use trails in St. Clair County." more...
The Viral Video of Santa Ana River Trail Homeless
CA - "Jay Mendoza never expected the video he shot of tent encampments occupied by homeless people along the Santa Ana River Trail in Orange County to get the kind of attention it did..." more
- SC: Greenway expansion could prove beneficial for downtown revitalization
- NC: Construction soon for island greenway project
- LA: Men arrested for selling drugs near Greenway
- AR: Hunt Elementary Receives Large Donation for Track
- MO: Disc golf course, mountain bike trail in the works
- CA: Grand Opening of Arroyo Seco Bike Trail Feb. 24
- MN: Plans for Cuyuna mountain bike trails come to fruition
- SD: Fat bike trails open in Northern Hills
- MN: Edina City Council approves Braemar Park Master Plan
- NC: Residents voiced safety concerns before pedestrian fatality
- WA: E-assist bikes, trail connections and multimodal funding...
How Will Driverless Cars Change Downtown Columbus?
Columbus, OH - "...A group of City and Regional Planning students at OSU recently studied the issue for a studio class..." more
Why Can't We Shovel Our Sidewalks?
Syracuse, NY - "Syracuse is the snowiest big city in the nation. Yet somehow, we've never been able to figure out how to keep our sidewalks passable." more...
U.S. Traffic Fatalities for Kids Rated Highest
"A study calls on Americans to do “everything possible” to address these preventable deaths." more...
BLM Approves Expansion of Phil’s World
CO - "Decision allows for 22 more miles of trails." more...
70% of Children Walk or Bike to School in this Town
IRE - "...there’s an Irish town that is similar to Dutch towns in terms of cycling rates - Westport." more...
Why Bikes & E-Bikes will Eat Cars
"Cities should prepare for, and encourage, an electric bike revolution." more...
- AUS: North-West boosted as mountain bike destination
- MN: final bike trail meeting goes without a hitch
- MD: Montgomery plans new bike lanes
- WI: City, school board approve bike path
- NC: Plan explores possible paths, lanes for cyclists
- LA: Bike Easy is looking for some 'ambassadors'
- OR: $150K grant for the Crown Zellerbach Trail
- WA: LimeBike and Spin announce e-assist bike share bikes
Licking County Taking Steps to Connect Trails
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...the Licking County Planning Commission has successfully applied for a grant to buy a 1.1-mile parcel that will connect two sections of trail: the Heart of Ohio Trail and the Meredith State Road Trail." more...
Stark Parks Working to Connect Trails
Alliance, OH - "...The city of Alliance is working with Stark Parks, the city’s Parks & Recreation department and the University of Mount Union to develop a grant application this month that will fund the project, designed to connect the existing hike/bike trails north and south of the Carnation City." more...
Plans for "Hospital in a Park"
Cleveland, OH - "...The latest version of the transformation plan for the county health system's main campus on West 25th Street calls for turning nearly half of the complex into open green space with connections to the Towpath Trail and other amenities." more
Commissioners Set Guidelines for Greenway Trail
IN - "...electric or motorized bicycles and wheelchairs traveling no more than 15 miles per hour would be permitted on the trail." more...
Greenway Impasse Still Unresolved
Roanoke, VA - "Roanoke officials and Walker Machine & Foundry found a small point of cooperation to advance construction of the Roanoke River Greenway, but the two remain at odds over city efforts to build the greenway across the foundry’s Norwich plant site." more...
Trek & Ford Partner on Bike-to-Vehicle Technology
"Trek and other companies are looking into Bicycle-to-Vehicle technology, which would allow bikes to automatically alert drivers to the presence of cyclists." more...
Bicycle-to-Car Communication Systems?
"It is not about making the world safer for cyclists, it is about making the world safer for autonomous cars." more...
- NE: Mountain biker forges new trail in Ashland
- WI: Key junction for North Mendota Trail acquired
- FL: ...Bike trails could be next
- CA: Regional Parks to Study Potential for Russian River Bike, Ped Trail
- AUS: MX site is the solution to illegal trail bike riding
- LA: Gonzales residents ready for a proposed city-wide bike path
- CT: Madison Plans to Form Bike and Pedestrian Group
- TX: 4 of the most dangerous intersections for peds in Texas
- OR: Naito Parkway $6M repaving project
- OR: Making sense of the fence
'Beer Trail' Along the Loveland Bike Trail?
Loveland, OH - "Joe Brenner, manager of the newly opened Little Miami Brewing Co. in Milford, can see it..." more
Deer Culling Closures at CVNP Jan. 8 - March 16
CVNP, OH - "...NPS has secured permits by the Ohio Division of Wildlife to use sharpshooting on park property to reduce deer populations... ...Most culling activities will be away from established trails...
"...Activities will take place between dusk and midnight, on weekdays (Monday through Thursday). At times, specific areas will be temporarily closed to ensure public safety. NPS staff will patrol the park during removal actions to ensure compliance with park closures and public safety measures, and accompany USDA-WS teams in the field." more...
$1.88M to Improve Bonnie Park Water, Restore Wetlands
Strongsville, OH - "...The Metroparks announced a $1.88 million grant today from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency to improve the water, foliage and wildlife in Strongsville's Bonnie Park, a popular part of Mill Stream Run Reservation." more...
Foundation Awards $785K to Summit Parks
Akron, OH - "Akronites are about to get some new green space near downtown, thanks to a grant from the Knight Foundation to Summit Metro Parks." more...
Metroparks a Money Tree for CEO
Cleveland, OH - "...Zimmerman's current pay of $237,723 exceeds the head of the U.S. National Park Service, who made around $180,000 in 2016. Zimmerman is paid more than Ohio Governor John Kasich..." more
Trail Work at Thomas City Park
WV - "...Tucker County is home to some of the East Coast’s premier mountain biking opportunities..." more
LimeBike Adding E-Bikes to Seattle Streets
WA - "Shareable electric bikes are likely coming to Seattle—and soon." more
- SC: Volunteer group to start work on mountain bike trail
- TX: Conceptual routes mapped for new regional trail through San Marcos
- WI: Janesville will seek grants to extend, connect paved pedestrian trails
- NV: TRTA and TAMBA continue trail building efforts in Tahoe Basin
- IA: Clive man gets five years of probation for Greenbelt Trail assault
- GA: Salvation Army donates land for Brookhaven Peachtree Creek Greenway
- IRE: Clonmel to Carrick-on-Suir Greenway to open later this year
- NY: NYDOT to Rethink a Half-Baked Highway Removal
- WA: What’s next for the Seattle’s bike-share
- TX: Civil trial over jaywalking arrest
- OR: Project will close Springwater path for four months this summer
Help Wanted! - Little Miami Trail Resurfacing Effort
Little Miami State Park, OH - "...resurfacing is a lower priority and may not begin for years. The Friends of the Little Miami State Park would like to see repaving of the oldest (1983) and most deteriorated sections done sooner..." Visit their facebook page to learn how you can help.
CVNP Breaks Ground for New Visitor Center
Boston Twp., OH - "Despite cold and sleet, about 50 enthusiasts gathered in the valley on Monday to break ground for the Cuyahoga Valley National Park's $6 million state-of-the-art visitor center." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Bicycling Growth Continues in D.C.
D.C. - "D.C. bicyclists can expect 2018 to be another year of steady (but slow) progress toward the improvement of the region’s bicycling scene..." more
A Trail Runs Through It
CA - "California officials tell hundreds to leave homeless camp." more...
Is Your State Bike-Friendly?
"Do you live in the safest or the most dangerous state for riding a bike?.." more...
A Global Directory for Bike Share Systems
"Bikeshare.com was designed to help connect users, system operators, sponsors and suppliers." more...
- MN: Minnetonka Residents Split Over Mountain Bike Trail In Park
- IRE: €100k for new path and cycle lane along River Triogue
- IRE: €200,000 go ahead for greenway canal paths in Offaly
- CA: Santa Cruz County weighs rail trail future, city councils bring debate home
- LA: ‘Complete Streets’ are the roads to a healthier, more equitable New Orleans
- AZ: Phoenix residents say road upgrades will mar neighborhood feel
- OR: Interchange expansion at I-5, Beltline nearing completion
- WA: Ofo kicks off 2018 with free rides
Pedestrian Killed in Hit-and-Run
Columbus, OH - "A man was killed late Friday when he was struck by a vehicle that left without stopping, the first traffic fatality in Columbus this year." more...
Best of the Worst Bike-Share Fails
Dallas, TX - "Many things aren't clear about Dallas' growing hoard of bike-share bikes..." more
Mayor to Speak to Landowners Regarding Trail Plans
Plaquemine, LA - "...Reeves said he'll need consent from two landowners with properties along parts of the levee that will make up the proposed trail before the city can move forward..." more
Runners Waiting for Trail Safety Improvements
Austin, TX - "...Makan said he was hoping to see safety improvements along the trail after several sexual assaults last year..." more
Google Bikes are Continually Stolen
Mountain View, CA - "A helpless, flailing Google is unable to stop people from running off with hundreds of the free bicycles available at its Mountain View, California headquarters..." more
Is it Dangerous to Bike in Traffic with Kids?
"In short, your children are in vastly more danger in their own driveways than they are in a bicycle child seat." more
Dutch Cycling Statistics
"The Dutch cycle more. They cycle more often and they cycle longer distances..." more
- FL : County seeks funds for business park and bike trail system
- AUS: Mountain bike trail could lure tourists to Townsville
- WA: Trails network ready to hit road
- ND: Minot Park District lays out plans for park system improvements
- CO: Bike Commuting Surges 25 Percent in Downtown Denver
- UT: Man breaks into police station to steal back his bike
- FL: Clearwater cites bike shop for city-owned bike rack
Ohio Fatal Bike Crashes in 2017
OH - "...I’ve reviewed the preliminary ODPS stats, which reflect a total of 19 cyclists killed in Ohio in 2017..." more
$860K Boosts Grand River Greenway Campaign
MI - "...Once complete, the trail will complete a contiguous connection from Grand Haven to Millennium Park in Kent County, and the recreational areas in between." more...
Metro Parks Bikeway Extension Facing Opposition
Mahoning County, OH - "As planning continues for the final phase of the Metro-Parks bike trail in Mahoning county, the project still faces opposition from some property owners along the proposed trail route." more...
Conservancy Makes Pitch for Land Acquisitions
Athens County, OH - "...One [parcel] is along the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway and would connect two separate halves of the Athens Conservancy Bluebell preserve while also connecting to the Wayne National Forest." more...
Freezeway on the Greenway Could Open Soon
ND - "...the Freezeway will be an ice skating rink designed as a pathway in which skaters cruise on a loop beneath strings of overhead lights." more...
U.S. Bicycle Route Status Sought for Rt. 66
MO - "...Missouri Department of Transportation (MoDOT) is leading the request to make this happen and Missouri Bicycle and Pedestrian Federation, Route 66 tourism organizations, and local and national cycling advocates all support MoDOT’s endeavors..." more
Seattle's Safest Driver App Shows Promise
Seattle, WA - "Among the 4,000 or so people who initially downloaded the 'Seattle’s Safest Driver' app, speeding decreased 10 percent and phone distraction decreased 15 percent, according to SDOT." more...
The Rise of Women in Bike Advocacy
"...there has been a growing array of very talented women involved in bike advocacy from the get go, but in the early days those women could certainly feel a bit, well, rare." more...
- CA: Ventura County region seeks to lure cyclists
- TX: Projects add trails, inter-connectivity to San Angelo
- CAN: Blair Rifle Range land use dispute settled
- NY: Bell Slip/Outer Harbor Plans Coming Into Focus
- MO: Finalists for Chouteau Greenway named
Green Twp. Looking at Recreation in 2018
Green Twp., OH - "...township officials plan to revisit potential work on a new bike trail." more...
Indiana Would Reap Benefits by Connecting Trails
IN - "...Multiple [bike-friendly] ratings put the Hoosier state near the bottom, including 38th in the League of American Bicyclists’ 2017 Bicycle Friendly States list..." more...
Flashing Crosswalks a Thing of the Past?
St. Petersburg, FL - "The Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) issued a letter of termination in late December which turned back its previous approval of the signals, known as rectangular rapid flashing beacons, or RRFBs." more...
Traffic Calming Concrete Balls
St. Louis, MO - "New traffic calming infrastructure arrived in Tower Grove East ahead of Christmas, but for many residents the sets of spherical concrete bollards at intersections are proverbial lumps of coal..." more
Doctors Charged with Illegal Riding, Resisting Arrest
CA - "Two Marin doctors have been charged with riding their bicycles illegally on Marin County open space land where bikes are prohibited and resisting arrest when a Marin County sheriff’s deputy attempted to issue them a citation." more...
Snowmobilers Rescue Moose Trapped in Deep Snow
CAN - "With its head sticking out of the snow, the 1,000-pound moose was frantic." more...
- D.C.: Pedestrians encounter car on popular DC bike trail
- NM: Bike Flow Trail Regains Momentum
- OR: Multiple agencies sweep greenway
- MO: plans for a hiking-biking route connecting Forest Park to the Gateway Arch
- WA: Council nixes controversial Highway 305 pedestrian bridge
- WA: Residents think a Bellevue bikeshare would be ‘awesome'
- RI: Car crashes into East Providence bike shop
Pathfinders Purchase Land for Greenway
VA - "Pathfinders for Greenways is giving a major boost to the urban trail system in the Roanoke Region." more...
Adventure Cycling Newsletter
"This is the 419th issue of Bike Bits, Adventure Cycling’s twice-monthly bicycle bulletin..." more
Dormant DL&W Rail Line Will Become Greenway
Buffalo, NY - "...We would like to see this formerly industrial landscape become a place where people can reconnect with nature and each other..." more
Crash Highlights Need for Guardrails Along Lakefront Trail
Chicago, IL - "...While the crushed vehicle had been towed away, debris from the car and some of the victims’ clothing was still strewn across the path." more...
Portland is Overrated as a Bike City
Portland, OR - "One of the most well-known bicycling and urban planning consultants in the world had harsh words for Portland after a visit over the holidays." more...
Another perspective on Portland called, 'A Swede’s view on cycling in Portland.'
The National Trails System
"In 2018, we celebrate the 50th anniversary of the National Trails System Act, which provided an incredible legacy for all Americans. The 1968 law allowed for the establishment of long-distance National Scenic Trails (spanning more than 100 miles) and National Recreation Trails, which can be found in all 50 states..." more...
FL Study on Cyclist / Driver Interactions
"...The results do not support the assumption that cyclists are reckless rule-breakers." more...
- NJ: D&R Greenway Land Deal Preserves Historic Farmland
- TN: Murfreesboro reopens Walter Hill Park, north greenway
- CO: Trails for fat biking coming to Hartman Rocks this winter
- CA: Bikers hand out bikes for Christmas
- MO: Family asks, why no murder charge?
- TX: Dallas is finally talking about bicycles
- WA: New 520 Bridge Trail brings our region closer together
- FL: Man, 19, turns self in after hitting teens on bike, killing 13-year-old
- UK: Cyclist, 88, seeks vintage bike stolen at Christmas
Bikeway to be Built on Huffman Dam
Dayton, OH - "...The trail will run from the intersection of the Mad River Bike Trail and Wright Brothers-Huffman Prairie Bikeway to Lower Valley Pike, near the entrance to Huffman MetroPark, according to MCD." more...
Bike Share & Park Development Coming
Blue Ash, OH - "...Blue Ash will introduce Zagster, a bike-share program, next summer." more...
Ray Petro’s New Year Update
Cleveland, OH - "...Hearing that he was making some big improvements was the highlight of the trip..." more...
NYC Poised to Install 1,500 Bollards
"Officials plan to put 1,500 metal posts at high-traffic locations — including the bike path where a suspected terrorist killed eight people." more...
Frustration With Bike Lane Safety
Baltimore, MD - "Protected bike lanes are becoming more prevalent across Baltimore, but some say the lanes are driving them crazy and putting lives in danger." more...
Lawsuit Over Fatality in Streetcar Track Crash
Seattle, WA - "...McCloud was biking with friends May 2016 when she crashed, passing away a week and a half later..." more...
Many Disabled People Cycle in Cambridge
UK - "...Many don’t realise that more than a quarter of disabled commutes in this university city are made by bike." more...
China's Bike Share Companies Hit the Wall
CHN - "The industry boasted close to 60 startups as recently as 18 months ago, according to Yu Xue, an internet research analyst at IDC China. He predicts fewer than 10 will survive the next year." more...
- WI: lawmaker proposes conservation corps program
- AZ: New bike and pedestrian path built in western Rio Rico
- AUS: Newtown cyclist injured along Queens Park trail
- TX: Most Dangerous Intersections for Pedestrians
- MT: Drop in drunken driving deaths contributes to lower fatality rates
- OR: Portland’s adaptive bike rental program will return
Michigan Moving Ahead on Bike Laws
MI - "...lawmakers are trying to make up for lost time by seeking some of the nation’s strictest bike-safety regulations and tough new penalties for distracted motorists who cause serious injury or death while using a mobile device." more...
Monon Trail Upgrades Coming
IN - "...The city plans for the widening and complete makeover of the Monon Greenway from Main Street to just south of City Center Drive..." more
Residents Calling 911 on Bike Share Users
D.C. - "...residents of the upscale Georgetown neighborhood have lately taken their dislike to another level, calling 911 to report suspicious activity when they spot anyone riding one of the bikes." more...
LimeBike Working on Creating Virtual Parking Spots
"It’s the company’s answer to cities’ concerns over bike congestion." more...
Should E-Bikes be Allowed in Colorado?
CO - "...Boulder County commissioners will likely decide sometime this month whether to ban e-bikes from almost all of the county’s parks and open space trails..." more
Falcon Attacks Prompt Trail Detour
NZ - "...Nesting falcons Sery and Ford have been swooping, talons drawn, at cyclists and small dogs on a popular piece of the Te Ara Ahi cycleway, just south of Rotorua." more...
- CA: Is it time to switch gears for Santa Cruz County’s rail corridor?
- MD: Catonsville Rails to Trails carves a path of work, advocacy for 2018
- MD: Making roads safer for peds
- NYC: New York City to test bike valets
- UK: Dangerous cycling should be a crime, say two thirds of drivers
Lowellville Awarded Money for Dam Removal
Park District Hires its First Employee
Madison County, OH - "Early in 2018, the Madison County park district will hire its first-ever employee." more...
County Changing Bike/Ped Trail Plan
Bristol, IN - "The Elkhart County commissioners view a new option for a bicycle/pedestrian path near Bristol as a compromise to move the project forward and cool some of the heated controversy." more...
Mother Nature Closes Ute Trail
Aspen, CO - "The universe apparently decided it had had enough of the crowds on the Ute Trail up Aspen Mountain this summer when an Aug. 31 thunderstorm struck the namesake outcropping at the top of the hike with a bolt of lighting." more...
Bike Stunt Gone Wrong
"If you've ever asked how lucky a person can be, there is now a definitive answer." more
3 Beneficial Ways to Use Cycling Cameras
"Cycling cameras are gaining in popularity and being used for anything from recording memories to serving up justice." more
Zac Efron Says He 'Narrowly Missed Death' On a London Bike Ride
"Zac Efron says he’s lucky to be alive after he nearly collided with a bus during a bike ride with Hugh Jackman." more...
- CA: Preserve the Western States Pioneer Trail
- AZ: Tucson woman needs help finding late brother's bike
Cincy Keeps Sidewalk Bicycling Ban
Cincinnati, OH - "City Council's transportation committee pumped the brakes last week on a move to allow bicycles on all city sidewalks." more...
Eastern Trail Alliance Meets Fundraising Goal
Portland, ME - "The Eastern Trail Alliance has reached its $4.1 million fundraising goal to build two bridges to complete 16 miles of uninterrupted trail from downtown Saco to Bug Light Park in South Portland." more...
Man Dies From Bike Trail Crash
CA - "...it appears the San Rafael man was riding his bicycle on a paved path near the Lincoln Avenue exit of southbound Highway 101, when he struck an object off the trail and was ejected..." more
Bike Network With Just Trails is Like a Car Network With Just Highways
"...Greenways remain an important endeavor to link our region and provide recreational opportunities, but as recognized by a growing number of cities, on-street protected bikeways are much more effective at providing transportation options and connecting a city." more...
League of American Bicyclists Looks Back on 2017
"Thanks to all who have followed and supported the League during 2017! It’s been a productive year..." more
- TX: Brownsville builds on hike-and-bike system
- NC: Transportation advisers endorse Mud Creek greenway study
The USBRS Top Five from 2017
"As 2017 comes to a close, we’re celebrating U.S Bicycle Route System (USBRS) successes from the past year and looking forward to the year ahead. Here are our top five highlights from 2017." more...
City, Property Owner Battle over Price for Trail Land
Sioux City, IA - "Sioux City has gone to court to avoid paying $34,000 for land for a proposed recreational trail..." more
- CO: Have you been following all of the trail controversy over the past few months?
- FL: Mountain bikers mark $137,484 worth of volunteer work at Palm Bay parks
- WA: Construction set to begin on vital downtown stretch of 7th Ave bike lane
Driver gets Prison Time for Hitting Cyclists
Cleveland, OH - "...Investigators say Dungy was drunk on June 3 when he hit the cyclists, critically injuring three of them..." more
City Takes Step to Putting Park & Rec Levy on Ballot
North Olmsted, OH - "Less than a month after Mayor Kevin Kennedy announced a proposed $44.8 million levy to improve the city's park and recreational facilities, North Olmsted City Council recently took the first step towards getting the tax increase on the May 8 ballot." more...
Drunk Driver gets Prison Time for Hitting Teen on Bike
MI - "A Benzie County woman will spend time in jail for driving drunk, hitting a teen on a bike and then taking off." more...
Land Purchase Adds New Trails to Greenway
VA - "...Pathfinders for Greenways closed Thursday afternoon, on a more than 200-acre property that will connect the Roanoke River Greenway with Carvins Cove." more...
Bicycle Beltway Proposed for D.C.
D.C. - "...The full Outer Loop would be 45 miles long. The beltway would also have additional connections in the middle, through the heart of downtown D.C. along the National Mall, that would bring the total marked trail to about 60 miles long." more...
World-Class Urban Greenway
CHN - "...the second phase of a green belt encircling China's largest urban lake in the central metropolis of Wuhan opened to public on Dec. 26..." more
- IRE: Issues still to be addressed on Waterford Greenway
- CT: Additional funds approved for greenway bridge
- SC: City pitches in for $4.6 million Lowcountry Low Line land grab
- PA: Meet the Pedal Posse Divas
- ME: Dumpster Full Of Bikes Behind Dick’s Sporting Goods
Human Remains Found Near Greenway
Warren, OH - "Trumbull County Sheriff Paul Monroe says the human remains found by hunters Christmas Day near the Western Reserve Greenway bike trail south of Hyde Oakfield Road in Bristol Township are with county Coroner..." more
MT Bike Trail Legislation Tops Agenda
"...a unanimous vote to create a working group tasked with supporting legislation tied to a new regional mountain bike trail network." more....
Bikes, National Parks & Beer
"What do bikes, national parks, and beer have in common? The New Belgium Brewing Company." more...
- WI: Gold Star Trail phase one costs rise
- FL: Coast-to-Coast Trail poised to connect trails across state
- TN: Damaged dam results in greenway closing
- VA: Land purchase paves way for trails to connect Salem with Carvins Cove
A Look at Getting Around in Cincinnati
Cincinnati, OH - "...Cincinnati covered a lot of ground with its bike trail projects in 2017, with more planned for next year." more...
Central OH - "...I met Ginger Ballard for the first time at COP Canal Winchester rides, then on various rides like TOSRV and a early regular to the Dublin Tuesday Night rides..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
North Liberty Residents Benefit from Walking Bridge
IN - "Town making strides to become walkable and bikeable." more...
No, MTBikers Aren't About to Take Over the Pacific Crest Trail
"This article hyperbolically implies that H.R. 1349 would open all wilderness to mountain bikes, even the Pacific Crest Trail. This is misleading." more...
How Lowering Speed Limits is... Hurting Pedestrians?
"Many cities are trying to make pedestrians and cyclists safer by lowering speed limits, but perplexingly, that can lead to an increase in fatalities." more...
Sale Marks New Era for Rail Trail
NZL - "A business that has transported thousands of cyclists over the Otago Central Rail Trail has notched up another milestone in its own journey..." more
- MO: Bike-sharing on tap in Johnson County for 2018
- WY: Town moves ahead with kids bike park
- MA: Boussy calls for renewed greenway talks
- TN: Wolf River Greenway undergoing $50M expansion
- NYC: Bike valet program coming to Union Square, Times Square
- NJ: Navigation Apps Are Turning Quiet Neighborhoods Into Traffic Nightmares
- OR: New manager of PBOT’s Active Transportation and Safety Division
Big MTBike Trail System In-the-Works
Athens, OH - "The U.S. Forest Service has approved design of a large new mountain biking (and general-use) single-track trail system through the Wayne National Forest’s Athens Unit." more...
Cleveland Planning a Greener, Healthier Future
Cleveland, OH - "Cleveland was built as a gray industrial city with the vast Emerald Necklace of the Cleveland Metroparks restricted to its periphery for decades." more...
Report Out on Fatal Crash That Killed Teens
Chardon, Twp., OH - "...ODOT conducted a study of the Route 44-Hosford Road intersection in Chardon Township following the death of two teens in June." more...
Trail Boosters Excited about NB-Chicago Plan
MI - "...The Marquette Greenway is a planned 58-mile trail from Chicago’s Calumet Park through northwestern Indiana to downtown New Buffalo. About 28 miles of the 10-foot wide path have either been built or funded." more...
Ohio River Greenway Transformation
IN - "...The 7-mile bike and walking path between New Albany and Jeffersonville — linking to Louisville at the Big Four Bridge — is on pace to be completed in 2018..." more
Garbage Truck vs. Bicycle Accident Leads to $2.6M Settlement
NJ - "The City of Clifton agreed on Dec. 5 to a $2.6 million settlement in a Passaic County suit lodged by a bicyclist who was struck by a city sanitation truck." more
Cycling World Remembers Jason Lowndes
AUS - "The world of cycling has paid tribute to Australian professional Jason Lowndes, who was tragically killed while training in Bendigo, Australia on Friday." more...
- MA: Bike bridge to connect 2 towns on Cape Cod Trail
- MA: North Adams Conservation Commission OKs Borings for Bike Path
- TN: Two more segments completed on Wolf River Greenway
- NC: Bicyclist killed after teen driver speeds up to beat red light
Proposed Trail will be a Destination
Athens, OH - "Plans are advancing to build an 88-mile mountain bike trail through the Wayne National Forest in Athens County, exciting the growing community of trail riders in central and southeast Ohio." more...
Police Shut Down Driver For Mocking Winter Cyclist
CAN - "...After a Toronto public figure took to Twitter to deride a winter cyclist for — gasp — daring to commute using a different mode of transportation than her, police sent out a gentle reminder on social media that cyclists have a right to the road too." more...
- TX: Dallas mom grabbed from behind by man on a bike while walking on Katy Trail
- TN: Where does Chattanooga's outdoor scene go from here?
- WA: It’s almost a new year. Take a hike and park for free
$788K Grant to Build Park, Connect Trails
Columbus, OH - "A new bridge over the Olentangy River to connect the Arena District to the busy Olentangy Trail. A trail connecting a Northeast Side neighborhood to a library and the Alum Creek Trail..." more
Trail development Calls for Griffith-to-Winfield Connection
IN - "A little-known Region trail connecting several Merrillville neighborhoods continues to grow." more...
Hiking/Biking Trail on Tap for Harrison
PA - "Silver Lake Park in Harrison will be getting a face-lift in the spring thanks to a $249,000 Greenways, Trails and Recreation Program grant and 22 acres of donated land." more...
Push Back Against Proposed Wabash River Trail
Peru, IN - "...landowners are pushing back against a proposed 33-mile bike and walking trail along the Wabash River..." more
Grinch Strips Ornaments from Trailside Tree
CO - "...The scrub oak along the route has been adorned with Christmas ornaments for years. That is, until this winter." more...
County Approves Forest Preserve Trail Despite Concerns
Dubuque, IA - "A county in eastern Iowa has approved a privately financed trail through a forest preserve after it was stalled due to opposition from some neighboring residents." more...
- ND: Residents object to proposed demolition of Bismarck bridge
- RI: Commission hears update on bike connector project
Piqua Trail Section Closed
Piqua, OH - "A section of the bike trail from Ziegler Road to the old Water Treatment Plant will be closed, effective immediately, due to a small breach in the levee..." more
Blacklick Trail Flooding
Columbus, OH - From Franklin MetroParks, "The Blacklick Greenway Trail is flooded underneath Winchester Pk. Please use caution in this area."
2 Fatal Hit-Skips at Euclid Avenue Intersection
South Euclid, OH - "...Vernice Crutcher was hit and killed while walking in Euclid Avenue near Grand Boulevard at about 5:30 p.m. Saturday. Police are still looking for the person who hit her, and have released a photo of a possible suspect car..." more
E-Bike Crackdown Hurting Delivery Cyclists
NYC - "No city has come down on e-bikes quite as hard as New York. But thousands of the city's delivery cyclists rely on them to work long hours, cover huge distances, and keep their customers satisfied..." more
Why Some Bike Retailers are Embracing Bike Sharing
"Bike sharing systems improve city bike infrastructure for all riders, but when they began proliferating all over the U.S. a few years ago, many local bike shops looked on with wary eyes and big questions. Would bike share lead people to eventually buy their own bikes, or would it hurt retailers..." more
- MN: Crow Wing proposes bike trail connecting to Cuyuna state recreation area
- IA: BV bike routes to spring up next season
- NC: Pedestrian bridge installed as part of major greenway expansion project
- VT: New greenway Bridge over Brewster River
- MA: CPC Rejects Quashnet Bridge Proposal
- CT: Naugatuck River Greenway Progress
- OR: PBOT makes final decision on carfree I-84 bridge alignment
Council Oks River Trail Connector
Cincinnati, OH - "During a marathon City Council meeting Wednesday, one of the dozens of ordinances the outgoing council passed paved the way for the long-awaited Ohio River Trail connection on Kellogg Avenue between Salem Road and Sutton Avenue." more...
Navarre Towpath Closure Jan. 6-9
Navarre, OH - From starkparks.com, "The trail south of Riverland Ave. in Navarre will be closed on the following dates due to deer gun season hunting on property near the trail: Jan. 6 to Jan. 9, 2018.
"Expect occasional closures north of Wooster St. in Navarre until further notice for a construction project next to the trail. Varying trail conditions should be expected. Please use caution and be aware of construction equipment in the area."
Mayor Says No Money for Protected Bike Lanes
Philadelphia, PA - "...Philadelphia’s mayor vowed to improve safety for cyclists in the city. The issue, he said, is how to pay for it." more...
3 Years Later, Bikeway Plans Still Hazy
Fresno, CA - "Fresno State in 2014 got four grants designed to help construct a bikeway along Barstow Avenue. Three years later, the bikeway has not been built." more...
E-Bikes Still Not Allowed on Grand Junction Trails
CO - "Despite a push to change a city ordinance, and several city members voting 'yes' on the measure, e-bikes are still not allowed on local paved trails." more...
More Dallas Bike Lanes on the Way
TX - "Interest in cycling surges in Dallas with arrival of bike-share companies." more...
Streetsies: Vote for the Best and Worst of 2017
"...Yesterday we introduced the nominees for Best Street Transformation (cast your vote if you haven’t yet). Today we’re asking you to judge the highs and lows of 2017." more...
Bicyclists Falling Under Trucks?!
"In Brooklyn and Toronto, the same story: 'accidents' where cyclists somehow lose control, fall under rear wheels." more...
No Simple Formula for Rolling Out New Bike Lanes
"...Ken McLeod, policy director for the League of American Bicyclists, says that while many cities have shown interest in developing better bike infrastructure, only a few are leading the way." more...
- WA: Seattle’s game board of sidewalks
- WA: Baltimore Bike Share launches 9 new stations
- GER: Berlin's Upcoming Bike Revolution
- OR: Developer ready to pay for one block of protected bike lane
- OR: Careless driving, other charges possible in serious injury collision
Vision Zero Coming to Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "There were more than 1,000 traffic deaths in Ohio last year. Vision Zero looks at traffic crashes as preventable incidents that can be systematically addressed." more...
Bike Cleveland Looks Back on 2017 Accomplishments
Cleveland, OH - "It’s been another productive year here at Bike Cleveland, and we’re proud of what we have accomplished on behalf of cyclists on the streets of our favorite city..." more...
$55M Urban Trail Vision
Ann Arbor, MI - "After years of work, the city of Ann Arbor now officially has a formal master plan for a potentially $55 million urban trail known as the Treeline." more...
Old Railroad Marker Uncovered in Wheeling
WV - "...The extinction of the rail tracks through Wheeling gave rise to a new era of walking, jogging, running on what today is known as Wheeling Heritage Trail..." more...
Support for Marquette Greenway
New Buffalo, IN - "Plans for the final 3.8 miles of the 58-mile Marquette Greenway hike and bike trail received a grate deal of support during a Dec. 14 Giveback Dinner at at the Bentwood Tavern..." more
New Trail on SR 520 Bridge
WA - "For the first time, bicyclists and pedestrians can go all the way across Lake Washington on the new bridge." more...
Vision Zero Progress in U.S.
"...In Boston, Philadelphia, and other cities that have proclaimed Vision Zero, people are frustrated by the lack of progress." more...
Adventure Cycling Bike Bits
Read the latest edition.
Driver Runs Down Cyclist
UK - "...The police said that “it was not possible to establish how [the collision] occurred based on the footage and conflicting accounts” drawing criticism from numerous cycling campaigners, with Chris Boardman calling the police’s response “real failure in your duty of care.” more...
- IL: Friends of the Green Bay Trail to restore another section of popular walk-bike trail
- CA: Work starts on bike path between Roeding & Service
- TX: Austin bike routes peddled as best in U.S. for 2017
- IRE: Kildare section of Royal Canal greenway open
- NY: Parkway will close in the spring for construction of a new trail
- OR: A closer look at PBOT’s SW 1st and Main project
- OR: 20th traffic death while walking this year
- NYC: NYC building more bike lanes ahead of L train shutdown
- D.C.: Bridging the Biking Gender Gap
CVNP to Break Ground on New Visitor Center
CVNP, OH - "...In early January, the CVNP will break ground on a new $5.9 million visitor center to welcome the two million people who visit the park annually." more...
Man Pleads Guilty to Sexual Assault on Trail
Ohio-to-Erie Trail 2018 Map Sets
OH - Pre-orders now being accepted. Learn more.
Cincy Sidewalk Cycling Ban Staying in Place
Cinicnnati, OH - "...A council committee was asked to repeal that law Tuesday, but the request was withdrawn." more...
10 Best New Bikeways in 2017
U.S. - "...every December, we at PeopleForBikes scour news reports and public records and talk to experts around the country to recognize the most impressive new links in those networks. Here are the brightest gems we found in 2017." more...
Bicycling's Top 10 News Stories from 2017
"Looking back at a year's worth of crashes, controversies, and cute animal photos, these are the news stories 'Bicycling' readers liked the most." more...
- WY: Town gives initial nod to Blair Dr. bike trail
- IL: Salem City Council Favorable Towards Mountain Bike Trails
- AL: McCallum Park opens new mountain biking trails
- IRE: Greenway from Skibb to Baltimore would be a ‘game changer’
- NYC: East Harlem waterfront to receive ‘green’ facelift by 2023
- OR: New year to bring in taxes on bikes, vehicles
- WA: SDOT uses bike racks to displace homeless
- NC: LimeBike riders traveled 53,300 miles in NC this year
$7.5M Revitalization Project for Dover
Dover, OH - "...Plans include a ramp from Wooster Avenue and Front Street to improve access to the riverfront park along the Tuscarawas River, new signage, plantings and bicycle trails." more...
Brighter Street Lights Coming to Hamilton
Hamilton, OH - "...New light fixtures... will feature not only traditional illumination lamps for the street, but also, lower on each pole, closer to the sidewalk, a pair of lamps that will cast a glow for pedestrians." more...
Nearly 1,000 Rides Logged with Midland Bike Share
MI - "In its first season, 991 bike rides were logged with Midland's new bike share program, Bike Midland." more...
Rats on the Greenway
NYC - "...Councilmember Mark Treyger contacted Parks regarding what he described as a 'large, growing number of rats that have been spotted at the Promenade and Greenway'...” more
State Supreme Court Rules in Bike Crash Liability Case
Highland Park, IL - "The Illinois Supreme Court ruled that people have the right to sue local governments when they are injured on bike paths..." more
Bike Trail Bottleneck a Problem
Austin, TX - "...the city has known for a long time that at least one section of the path is unsafe – and it’s only getting worse." more...
The Dockless Bike Share Takeover
U.S. - "U.S. cities are being invaded by dock-less bike share. It’s going to be messy—and worth it." more...
- MN: City reaches mountain bike trail agreement
- MA: Northern Berkshire bike path rolling forward
- NY: Manhattan greenway will expand in East Harlem with $101M cash infusion
- GA: Buckhead's Path400 set to receive $12.66M in city, federal funding
- WA: Crashes Up, Biking Down in New Seattle Traffic Report
- MN: Cyclists rally to remember man killed in hit-and-run
- OR: The death of Flint Street, one of Portland’s major bike routes
Protest Planned after 2nd Cyclist Struck
Philadelphia, PA - "...She is the second bicyclist hit in the area in three weeks. On Nov. 29, 24-year-old pastry chef Emily Fredricks was killed when a private garbage truck struck her on 11th Street near Spruce." more...
Bike Share Pilot Program Ending
Seattle, WA - "...But the bikes will remain until at least July, as the city studies data and works to improve how bikes are parked." more...
Houston’s New Downtown Bike Lane About to Open
TX - "...You’ll soon be able to ride from one end of downtown to the other totally separated from cars." more...
West Baton Rouge Gears up for Legal Fight Over Levee Bike Path
LA - "...Some owners of property that abut the levee are challenging the parish's authority to encroach on their properties, prompting the parish last week to hire a high-profile lawyer..." more
- MN: North Shore ski trail will allow fat-biking on trial basis
- GA: Metro Atlanta transportation plan
- NZL: Guided bike tour service for Motu Trails
- OK: OKC considers pedestrian safety ahead of streetcar installation
Clintonville Bike Routes Plan Stalls
Columbus, OH - "...the plan is still not close to completion. And it appears that the city won’t have money to implement the plan anyway in 2018." more...
Tree Cutting Leaves Bike Trail Bare
WI - "...Not only have they changed the face of the bike path, but they’ve kind of left it in a mess..." more
Latest on Fate of Commuter Bike Benefit
"The conference report that reconciles the Senate and House tax bills keeps the Senate provisions that eliminate the bicycle commuter benefit." more...
- CO: Emotions run deep over proposed Carbondale to Crested Butte Trail
- AR: Greenway projects in Bentonville, Rogers to increase safety, cohesion
Grant to Fund Study of Trail Network
Ebensburg, PA - "A state grant for $30,000 will allow Cambria County Conservation and Recreation Authority to explore development of a new trail connecting its two most popular recreation trails. more
Bids Open for Delaware River Trail
PA - "The city-government-affiliated nonprofit... has begun soliciting bids from contractors interested in building the southernmost portion of a 3.3.-mile walking and cycling trail planned between Fishtown and South Philadelphia." more...
Seattle Bike Share Ridership on a Tear
WA - "...For the first two months, the brand new bike share services carried just under 120,000 trips. Since then, as the number of bikes ballooned, the number of trips accelerated even as typical seasonal biking trends say ridership should have been slowing down..." more
BMX Star Dies at 45
WA - "Kevin Robinson, who said his approach to BMX riding was 'a matter of repetition,' set a record when he soared 27 feet above a ramp in Central Park in 2008." more
- ME: Cycling, Rail Advocates On Collision Course Over Proposed Bike Path
- CA: Cyclists say bridge closure leaves no safe way to cross river
- TX: Dallas’ New Cycling Plans As Bike Share Companies Flood the Streets
- IRE: Next greenway please
Elves & More to Distribute 1,000 Bikes to Kids
Akron, OH - "This Sunday, families in two area neighborhoods will awaken to the rumbling of 14 semi-trucks as they roll in loaded down with brand-spanking-new bikes." more...
New Trail at Leelanau State Park
MI - "...A new, marked winter sports trail at Leelanau State Park — open to hiking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and fat-tire biking — opened Dec. 1..." more
Busy Bike Lane to get Upgrade
Philadelphia, PA - "...City officials will construct a protected bicycle lane, installing flexible delineator posts along the painted stretch on South Street from 21st to 27th Streets..." more
Accused Teen in Greenway Rape Charged with 2nd Attack
Yakima, WA - "The 16-year-old charged with raping a jogger on the Yakima Greenway path was charged with attempting to rape another woman on the pathway earlier this year." more...
- SC: York man accused of exposing himself to woman on bike trail
- NZL: Real story of the Craggy Range walking trail
- GA: Pedestrian/biking tunnel could open to public in early 2018
- AR: Proposed multi-use trail would stretch from Central City to Paris
- GA: Snellville approves Greenway Master Plan
- NC: Raccoon scare reported on greenway
- NY: Metro-North adds a piece to Greenway route puzzle
- IRE: Greenway section design expected to be completed by end of June
- HI: Residents protest city’s plan to remove crosswalks used often by kids
Pacman Jones Donates 400 Bikes to Cincy Kids
Cincinnati, OH - "...Adam “Pacman” Jones donated 400 bicycles to students at Bond Hill Academy Elementary School." more
Plans for Quarry Metro Park Move Forward
Columbus, OH - "...Metro Parks is creating a 220-acre park on the west side of the Scioto River and north of Trabue Road..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
New Bike Lane, Bike Racks in Pontiac
MI - "...the team has added 38 bike racks throughout the city, completed a new bike lane on Saginaw Street, worked to complete sidewalk assessments and more... more
County Considers MTB Trail Network
WV - "...I just want to discuss an idea that was raised during the Chamber of Commerce Legislative Breakfast, which is the creation of a mountain biking trail network throughout Mon County..." more
Plans for Cross State Trail Moves Forward in FL
Tallahassee, FL - "Gov. Rick Scott and the state Cabinet agreed to spend $1.08 million Wednesday for land that will help link a bicycle and pedestrian trail planned to stretch across Central Florida..." more
Cyclists Are Safer Behind the Wheel
"New research suggest that getting more people on bikes could make the streets safer for everyone." more
How Hard is it to Walk in American Suburbs?
"I was stuck near Hartford, Connecticut (actually, according to readers, East Windsor-Springfield) because of a blizzard that kept the little planes from flying me home to Toronto..." more
- OR: Bike trail shooter could be either suspect
- NZL: Lack of dialogue on Te Mata bike trail 'a shame'
- AR: Mountain bike accident kills veteran Mercy surgeon
- VA: County to Receive Permission For W&OD Trail Improvements
- NY: Residents voice objections to 2 Greenway path alternatives
- NC: Asheville explores different kinds of greenways
- NJ: Roxbury Mulls 'Righter Road Greenway Trail'
- OK: Bike lanes disappear from downtown boulevard during private meetings
- TX: Changing Houston, one little fix a time
Body Found Near Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "Columbus Police were on the scene of a body found near the Olentangy Trail and Dodridge Street." more...
Camp Chase Trail Connector Construction Underway
Columbus, OH - "Construction of new 10' wide shared-use path along the south side of Sullivant Avenue from Camp Chase Trail to Georgesville Road..." more...
Modified Bikes for Special Needs Children
Marysville, OH - "...Kendall was one of 16 children with varying disabilities who spent their gym class Friday afternoon trying out any one or more of 17 modified cycles..." more
Politician Impersonates Cop, Bullies Cyclist
NY - "Brooklyn state Sen. Marty Golden tried to pull over a bicyclist by impersonating a cop..." more
October Terror Attack Spurs Action
WA - "...The motion adopted by the Council on December 11, directs the County Executive to evaluate the safety of King County’s 175-mile Regional Trail system..." more
9 Hot New Rail-Trails in 2017
"Say hello to the newest batch of rail-trails! As 2017 wraps up, we end the year with more than 2,000 such trails all across the American landscape. We’ve highlighted a few of these remarkable new pathways..." more
Biking Fatalities on the Rise
"...the last five years have shown a disturbing upward trend that may bear a suspicious correlation to smartphone usage." more
The Move to Shrink Protected Land for National Monuments
"The Trump administration’s decision to roll back federal protections at national monuments could have serious consequences for cyclists." more...
- GRC: 2nd climber dies on snowy slopes of Mt. Olympus
- AUS: Mountain bike trail upgrade secures council funding
- MT: Whitefish Trail Users Spend $6.1 Million Locally Every Year
- NY: Meeting on Expansion of Route 434 Greenway
- MO: Trail aiming to connect Downtown to Forest Park inches closer
- IRE: Funding approved for Longford Royal Canal extension
- CA: Should bicyclists ride on the I-5 freeway
- WA: Tell SDOT to keep sidewalks wide and bike lanes protected
Chardon Eyeing Grant for Park Upgrades
Chardon, OH - "...Proposed improvements include the addition of a walking/hiking trail, driveway extension, parking expansion, multipurpose field and landscaping of the south side of the property..." more
Helping Hearts Gives Away 350 Bikes to Kids
KY - "Christmas came early for hundreds of families in Northern Kentucky." more...
Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Greenbrier County
WV - "On or about Nov. 30, 2017, CSX Transportation filed for the abandonment of 0.42 mile of track near Rainelle in Greenbrier County, West Virginia. We are providing this information because it presents an opportunity to develop a real regional asset: a multi-use trail that can accommodate hikers, bikers, equestrians and other appropriate uses." more...
Google Engineer Found Dead Near Bike Trail
CA - "...A bicyclist spotted the body of Chuchu Ma, of Mountain View, California, in the water along the Bay Trail on the Sunnyvale-Moffett Field border last Thursday morning." more
'Freezeway' Project on Pace for January Opening
ND - "Nick Jensen and his father, Warren, were out on the Greenway on Friday afternoon, building a cool creation they hope will bring skaters to downtown Grand Forks in droves." more...
Congress Considers Allowing Bikes in Wilderness
MT - "...Right now the land is off limits to motorized and mechanized machines, including everything from four-wheelers to chainsaws. However, a bill in the Federal Lands Committee, H.R. 1349, aims to amend the Wilderness Act to allow bikes, game carts and strollers." more...
- NY: Schenectady bike infrastructure plan adopted
- AUS: New track will give mountain bikers an adrenaline rush
- WA: Greenway rape suspect to be evaluated before hearing
- MO: Design finalists named for Chouteau Greenway project
- TX: Austin Orders Up a Street That Puts Transit, Biking, and Walking First
- D.C.: How dockless bikes stack up against Capital Bikeshare
- WI: Madison bike-sharing grows in popularity
- CAN: Victoria mayor’s bicycle sabotaged
- OR: Oregon bike tax is coming
- UT: Man returns stolen bike to owner
PennDOT Installs Bike Lanes along 3 State Highways
Caln, PA - "...In its ongoing effort to enhance the bicycle experience across the state, the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) has completed new bicycle lanes on three suburban state highways in the Philadelphia region..." more...
Beech Leaf Disease Spreading Throughout NE Ohio
Concord Twp., OH - "...Since 2012, beech leaf disease has decimated large tracts of trees in several Lake County parks, and spread to nine other counties in Northeast Ohio, as well as to parts of western Pennsylvania, New York and Ontario." more...
Man Shot While Bicycling on West Side
Detroit, MI - "... he heard a noise and realized he had been shot in the head..." more...
Old Stoplight Fixtures Made into Trail Bridges
MI - "Bridges in Midland's city forest mountain bike trail system were heavily damaged during the June 2017 flooding, but were replaced by an innovative construction project." more...
Couple Claims They Were not Paid for Trail Land
MA - "...the Glicksmans are suing the city, claiming it never paid them for two portions of their land and that city attorneys say they never even owned the portion of their property, which Ruth Glicksman purchased from the state in 1996." more...
Read the latest edition.
- AUS: April start date for work on Creswick mountain bike Mecca
- NC: Dirt may be answer to Asheville's $4M greenway shortage
- CT: State DOT Looking To Bridge Another Trail Gap
- CA: Did you lose your bicycle in the Sonoma County fires?
More Details on Wayne National Forest MTB Trail
Nelsonville, OH - "...Once completed, the new trails will link to local communities through existing mountain bike trails at Sells City Park and Strouds Run State Park by way of the 21-mile Hockhocking Adena Bikeway..." more
Delaware County Lays Out Game Plan for Trails
Delaware County, OH - "A new master plan for Delaware County’s trail systems recommends further study of more than a dozen 'conceptual corridors,' including potential connections with the regional Olentangy Trail and state-spanning Ohio to Erie Trail." more
Indiana Lacking Trail Networks
IN - "...That ability to traverse our state via trail systems is extremely appealing, and is drawing tourism to other states..." more
Seed Money Given for Trail in Greene Township
PA - "...Greene Township received the largest grant -- $100,000 to proceed with the first phase the Conococheague Trail..." more
Why Bicycling Popularity will Continue to Soar
"...More than 100 million Americans rode a bike in 2014, and bicycles have out-sold cars most years in the U.S. since 2003." more...
- TX: Trail foundation announces 15 new projects
- MO: Bicycle-friendly business program considered by city
- VA: Three Notched Trail Greenway in Early Stages
Little Miami Trail Tree Removal Sections Reopen
SW OH - From Friends of the Little Miami, "... ODNR crews and FLMSP volunteers worked this week to remove over 1200 dead and dangerous ash trees from along the trail. Clean up work will continue so please use caution around crews and equipment.
"Thank you for your patience as we work to make the trail safer for our users."
Downtown Akron Redevelopment Plan
Akron, OH - "New townhomes along the Ohio & Erie Canal, stronger connections to the Towpath Trail and a pedestrian bridge from downtown to the Northside Arts District are all recommendations in a plan to make downtown Akron more vibrant. more
Walking the Walk
Cincinnati, OH - "After high-profile fatalities, the city has finally started moving on pedestrian safety. Will the efforts be enough?" more...
Single Track Coming to Wayne National Forest in SE OH
Test Riding Seattle Bike Shares
WA - "Hey Seattle — congratulations! In just five months, you’ve become a leader in bike sharing." more...
Greenway Repairs Begin More Than a Year After Hurricane
NC - "More than a year after flooding rains forced the city to close a section of the Crabtree Creek Greenway, contractors will soon begin repairs on three sections of boardwalk..." more
Des Moines' $33M Street Overhaul
IA - "Several years from now, one of the country’s best downtown bike networks could be in the capital of Iowa." more
Train Made for Bike Commuters
JPN - "A Japanese railway company unveiled a train with room for nearly 100 passengers—and their bikes." more
- NY: Local Media mum as Greenway Director throws in towel after short stint
- CA: South Tahoe Greenway trail project delayed
- IRE: Greenway strategy is set for New Year
- TN: Missing trees near East Nashville greenway have residents concerned
- MA: Quequechan River Trail advocates rally to remove easement along trail
- FL: Safety, access behind grassroots push for A1A multi-use trail
- TX: Millions of dollars in improvements coming to Austin’s trails
- OR: Willamette’s new bike lanes are already outdated
Little Miami Trail Closure Through March 2018
Xenia Twp., OH - "The Little Miami Scenic Trail from Brush Row Road to Clifton Road (between Xenia and Yellow Springs) will be closed effective immediately for a water main installation project..." more...
NOACA Boosts Protected Bike Lane Projects
Cleveland, OH - "...The board of the transportation planning agency announced at a meeting that it would allocate $47 million in federal transportation dollars to 21 projects including two that would create the first major protected bike lanes in the city." more...
Mohican State Park MTB Trail on IMBA Epic List
Loudonville, OH - "...IMBA EPICS are what many mountain bikers live for and make travel plans around..." more
Work Begins on Greenway
PA - "...After 13 years of planning, scouting for funding and rallying support, work has started on the Marsh Creek Greenway to connect the Pine Creek Rail Trail terminus to Wellsboro." more...
Petition Demands Faster Action to Improve Cycling Safety
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia’s leading biking advocacy organization is pushing the city to move faster on seven safe-streets initiatives following a cyclist’s death last week in the city." more...
Siblings Both Killed by Drivers
Portland, OR - "When I first heard about the fatal collision in Beaverton near Southridge High School last week I was sad. But that was before I made a heartbreaking realization." more...
Dangerous By Design
U.S. - "...As pedestrian deaths rise alarmingly fast in the U.S., with nearly 6,000 lives lost last year, the difference between the American and European approaches to the regulation of car design stands out strongly." more...
What Cyclists Need To Know About Trucks
"Cyclists hit by turning trucks is a repeating news story which highlights the most serious deficiency in our system — education of cyclists. Sometimes these crashes are caused by the truck driver passing a cyclist prior to turning right, but very often they are caused by the cyclist passing the truck on the right. In both cases, the cyclist has the power to avoid the crash." more...
Mountain Bike Boom Down Under
AUS - "...With world-class mountain bike trails having opened to riders a couple of years ago, Derby was earning a reputation that was drawing an estimated 30,000 bike enthusiasts to the region each year." more...
- IL: Algonquin to create downtown bike path
- CA: Trail-only option stays alive for Santa Cruz County rail corridor
- MN: Fatbikers get access to North Shore ski trail on trial run
- MA: Greater Worcester Land Trust buys link for Greenway
- WA: Man killed while biking to work
Response to Columbus Making Dangerous Cycling Cities List
OH - "...As soon as I saw this list I thought, 'Hmmmm… where are all the Florida cities?' Florida is renowned for having, by FAR, the highest number of cycling fatalities and the worst “fatality rate” in the country..." more
Grant Sought for 58-Mile Marquette Greenway Trail
IN - "...The grant, which would help construct 30 miles of trail, would come from the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery program..." more
Task Force Focused on Improving Bike Trails
IN - "The 2017 Indiana General Assembly passed legislation to create the Indiana Bike Trails Task Force and that group is now working on improving connectivity and safety for cyclists across the state." more...
Communities Must Embrace Bike Visitors to Gain Benefit
PA - "A biking-hiking trail like the Great Allegheny Passage is an economic development opportunity for the communities it passes through --- but only if those towns capitalize on it." more...
Court Rules Absolute Immunity Not Applicable to Bike Path
IL - "We recently wrote about the confusion in Illinois law on what constitutes a 'Riding Trail'..." more
IMBA Advocates for Collaborative Wilderness Perspective
"...Today the US Federal Lands Subcommittee is discussing H.R. 1349 – a proposal that would amend Wilderness Act regulations to permit mountain bike access in designated Wilderness areas. IMBA has in fact submitted testimony OPPOSING this legislation." more
No Street Is “Complete” Without Taking Equity Into Account
"For 10 years, the National Complete Streets Coalition has scored thousands of 'complete streets' proposals from around the U.S. This year, for the first time, they’re including equity and diversity outcomes as part of their grading rubric." more
- CO: Storm water project to provide Fat Bike trail
- NY: Murphy's Island bike path project moves forward
- GA: Atlanta opens PATH Parkway at Georgia Tech
- NE: Nebraska Trail Visionaries Named Rail-Trail Champions
- OK: Peds/bikes will be forced to share wide sidewalk along new downtown boulevard
- MN: Shovel your sidewalk in Mnneapolis or else!
Columbus Makes 'Most Dangerous Cities for Cyclists' List
OH - "...Even though U.S. cities tend to be reasonably safe for commuters on two wheels, 70 percent of all fatal bike accidents still tend to occur in urban areas..." more
Ohio River Trail Connection still an Option
Cincinnati, OH - "Hope for connecting Hamilton and Clermont counties via the Ohio River Trail glimmered Tuesday when the city's transportation committee weighed committing roughly $250,000 to the project." more
North Olmsted Considers Recreation Amenity Levy
North Olmsted, OH - "...Mayor Kevin Kennedy recently proposed putting a $44.8 million levy on the May 8 ballot for residents to decide whether they want to improve the city's park and recreational facilities..." more
Assault with Knife on Lincoln Bike Trail
Lincoln, NE - "...one of the men pulled a knife, swung at the victim, and struck him..." more
Greenway Meeting Goes off the Rails
Portland, OR - "...The crowd that’s vehemently opposed to a diverter at 50th and Lincoln was apparently very aggressive and nearly took over the meeting." more...
RTC Accomplishments in 2017
"...As 2017 draws to a close, here’s a look back at just a few of the ways we made a difference for trails this year." more...
25 Best Bike-Friendly Companies
"Our inaugural roundup of the 25 most bike-friendly workplaces in the United States might make you rethink your career choices." more...
Cities are Clamping Down on Cars & Promoting Bikes
"...But as the [NYC] Mayor notes, 'Queens Boulevard is the ultimate example of what was wrong in this city for decades. I love my city but something was broken that we had a street called the Boulevard of Death and we accepted that.'" more...
- NY: County legislators OK plan for $1.5M bike trail on polluted land
- IL: Bike trail from Marion to Carbondale
- WI: Town of Winchester halts bike trail talk
- TX: Denison gets funding for Katy Trail project
- NY: Schenectady close to adopting bicycle master plan
- NC: Contractor finds skeletal remains near greenway
- ND: Fargo's new downtown plan has a long wish list
- LA: Bicycle share program kicks off along Lafitte Greenway
- MN: Ped crash study points to high-risk areas around campus
- CA: San Diego may be left out of dockless bike sharing trend
Towpath Sections Closure Dec. 11 - June 2018
Peninsula, OH - From nps.gov, "Towpath sections closed between Boston Store Visitor Center & Interstate 271 Bridge; and between Hunt House and Deep Lock Quarry. There will not be access to Boston Store Visitor Center from Lock 29 Trailhead. Towpath open at lock 29 to closed areas."
New Stadium Could Hurt Walkability
Cincinnati, OH - "...The thing is, widening roads is never good for a neighborhood's pedestrian-friendliness..." more
Iron Belle Trail to Receive Grants
MI - "The trail runs from Detroit through Macomb and Oakland counties all the way to the upper peninsula." more...
Educating Drivers about Bike & Ped Safety
NJ - "...Senate Bill 2894 would require that bicyclist and pedestrian safety information included in: The New Jersey Driver Education Course, The New Jersey Driver Education Manual, and The New Jersey Driver’s License Written Exam." more...
Graveyard of Shopping Carts along Greenway
TN - "Residents in West Knoxville said abandoned shopping carts have created an eyesore along the Ten Mile Creek Greenway." more...
Man Robbed at Gunpoint on Bike Trail
AR - "A man told police he was robbed at gunpoint of his cash and Nike shoes on a North Little Rock trail Sunday morning..." more
Windsor Cyclists not Riding to Work
CAN - "Only 1 per cent of Windsorites commute to work, according to Statistics Canada." more...
- NC: Durham woman says man on bike grabbed her butt on Ellerbe Creek Trail
- NC: Bike lanes becoming first casualty of war on widening
- MO: Bike Share program could be expanding to Olathe
- FL: Group wants to narrow lanes of West Bay Drive for pedestrian safety
- NC: Greenway named for Concord legend adds extension
- NC: Leaders pitch Mud Creek greenway to replace Kanuga bike lanes
- GA: Alpharetta Approves Big Creek Greenway Extension Design Contract
- MO: Distracted driving ban gets first look
- OR: Oregon now has an interscholastic mountain bike racing league
- WA: Seattle Parks begins repair work on old, bumpy sections of the Burke-Gilman
- D.C.: Man charged with throwing bicycle onto Metro tracks
Alum Creek Drive Improvements
Columbus, OH - "...The planned improvements will reduce traffic congestion and improve safety for pedestrians, bicyclists and mobility-impaired and vision-impaired users." more...
Bike Lanes Repainted after Cyclist Dies
Philadelphia, PA - "...The repainting of the lane, from Second to 24th Streets, was something activists had long demanded, along with the repainting of other bike lanes throughout Philadelphia." more...
Erie Group Plans Viaduct Protest March
PA - "...The group wants to see the eastside bridge, which was closed by the city in June 2010 because of structural concerns, restored as a pedestrian walkway or public park." more
320-Mile Greenway Being Developed
PA - "The Main Line Canal Greenway is a 320-mile corridor for hikers and bikers between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg that is partly a reality and partly unfinished." more...
Hand-Painted Bike Lane Removed in Boston
MA - "It started out as maybe a protest, or maybe a joke, or maybe a little of both. But the City of Boston has washed away the hand painted bike lane on the Congress St. bridge." more...
Trail Efforts Incense Pitkin County Officials
CO - "Wilderness Workshop is trying to stop the Carbondale to Crested Butte Trail by spreading propaganda and misinformation, a majority of Pitkin County commissioners said recently." more...
Will Dockless Bike Shares Boost Bike Commuting?
"...Something about this new business model, something about the dollar ride is very attractive to people that weren’t riding before..." more
- IL: What’s down road for Sangamon Valley Trail?
- NZ: Wanaka 'schools to pool trail' is first priority
- NV: Rescuers find two of the 3 hikers lost on Calico Tanks Trail
- CA: San Diego County's most dangerous intersections for peds
Senate Votes to Eliminate Bike Tax Benefit
"...the Senate voted to eliminate the $20 per-month tax benefit available for those who bike to work while maintaining the $255 per-month vehicle and parking benefit." more...
North Coventry Trail Plans on Track
PA - "...If all goes as planned, shoppers like the Rigbys will have access to a walking trail that connects the plaza along Route 100 on a 22-acre site called Hanover Meadows Park..." more
Council Votes Against Coal Run Hollow Greenway Project
WV - "Fairmont City Council voted against closing Coal Run Hollow to install a greenway during last week’s meeting, with more than a dozen city residents voicing their distaste for the project." more
Grant to Extend Trails in Martinsville & Henry Counties
VA - "Henry County will receive nearly $1.4 million to help extend the Dick and Willie Passage Rail Trail to Spruce Street." more...
Frederick County Working to Connect Main Streets with Bikeway
MD - "...It’s always been a priority to connect Frederick to the C&O Canal..." more
- MN: John Richter dies at 94
- AUS: Queanbeyan Palerang council won't support Molonglo rail trail
- TX: Bayou Greenways nonprofit sees groundswell of support after Harvey
- NY: Bensonhurst leaders want guardrails on Belt Parkway
No Fix Yet For Deadly Cincy Intersection
Cincinnati, OH - "...Cole was grabbing coffee for her coworkers from the shop across the street, Sidewinder Coffee, when she was hit during the afternoon rush hour last September." more...
Potential Trail Towns get Landscaping Advice
KY - "...we’re hoping is that we can get ideas to take back to our communities that will make our communities more adventure tourist friendly..." more
NYPD Security Theater Takes Manhattan
NYC - "Obtrusive new police barriers interfering with walking and biking paths are cropping up in Midtown and elsewhere. Do you feel safer, New York?" more...
Small Town Builds Bicycle Blvd
Ellensburg, WA - "...This year, Ellensburg became one of the smallest cities in the country ever to construct a neighborhood bikeway..." more...
Boise Considering E-Bike Rules
ID - "...The proposal, which will open for public comment and go before the Boise City Council on Tuesday, Dec. 5, would regulate Class 1 and Class 2 bikes—with power output no greater than 750 watts..." more
Man Shot While Jogging on Trail
MO - "...About 30 yards after the teacher ran past Curtis, the teacher heard a loud bang, felt pain in his back and fell to his knees..." more
520 Bridge Trail will Finally Open in December
WA - "...The region’s most significant new biking and walking connection in decades will open December 20 at 3 p.m., nine hours before the winter solstice." more...
- WI: Woman charged with trying to run down peds & several hit-and-run crashes
- SC: Feud boiling up over Saluda River boardwalk
- WA: High Point Trail ribbon cutting
- CO: City announces new trail and stormwater project along Sand Creek
- VT: Rail Trail: Luxury or necessity?
- WA: New Interbay bikeway connects the Locks, Discovery Park, Ship Canal Trail
- IA: Disabled woman's stolen bike story has a happy ending
- MA: Someone wanted a bike lane on the Congress Street bridge — so they drew one
- D.C.: Bicyclists applaud police effort to crack down on drivers blocking bike lanes
Bicyclist Struck, Killed in Lake Township
Lake Twp., OH - "...The crash remains under investigation, but the patrol said alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the accident." more...
Driver Sentenced to Prison for Killing Baby in Stroller
Columbus, OH - "A woman who drove her SUV off a Mifflin Township road and struck and killed a 7-month-old boy in a stroller offered no explanation for her actions Wednesday during her sentencing hearing." more...
Kettering Seeks Grants to Replace Bridge
Kettering, OH - "...Kettering used an online survey to poll Oakwood and Kettering residents on three potential options for future investment in the bridge..." more...
Wayne County Trails Photo Review of 2017
Wayne County, OH - Check out the photos.
Urban Freeway Could be Reconfigured with Bike Lanes
Detroit, MI - "...Proposals range from merely upgrading the current freeways to creating two one-way streets with a greenway." more...
Human Barrier Protects Philly Bike Lane
Philadelphia, PA - "About 100 people gathered on a downtown Philadelphia street before work Wednesday morning. Their purpose: create a human shield protecting the Spruce Street bike lane..." more
Bike Shares Flood Katy Trail in Dallas
Dallas, TX - "News of a fifth bike-sharing company is touching a nerve with several people along the Dallas Katy Trail." more...
New Bike Share Concept Coming to U.S.
"...'We are dockless without the drawbacks,” says Zagster CEO Timothy Ericson'..." more...
Toronto Neighbors Calm Street Using Only Leaves and Chalk
CAN - "...a group of neighbors in Toronto has made 'nature’s traffic calming' a multi-season activity." more...
For more news, visit the 2017 Archive.