Regional, U.S. & International News
Great Miami River Trail Section Closed
Hamilton, OH - "Recent flooding of the Great Miami River damaged bikeways along its shoreline, including in Hamilton.
"... The path is shut down from the Fitton Center for Creative Arts, which is located south of the High-Main Bridge, northward to the river’s hydraulic canal, which is near Hamilton’s 3rd Street power plant, until further notice." more...
Sidewalk & Trail Plan Move Forward
Green Twp., OH - "...The Harrison Avenue bike path was initially started in 2016. This year the path will be extended from Lee Court to the Hutchinson Road trailhead. The entire path will be approximately a mile and is expected to be finished by the summer." more...
Philly: Safe Streets or Faster Traffic?
Philadelphia, PA - "...OTIS officials seem to be testing the theory that the city’s adoption of Vision Zero as a policy goal will provide the moral reasoning to push back on congestion complaints as it attempts to redesign the city’s streets with safety, not speed..." more
Bike Messenger Seeks Stolen Bike
Indianapolis, IN - "A downtown Indianapolis bike messenger is hoping the public can help find the bike he uses to earn his livelihood after it was stolen from a gas station Tuesday night." more...
Spurned Boyfriend Kills Teen Near Bike Trail
CA - "...The slain boy’s body had been found Wednesday along a bike trail in South El Monte, 12 miles east of downtown Los Angeles." more...
French Rider Shot
FRA - "The Frenchman escaped serious injury after a passing car shot at him while on a training ride." more...
Seems Like 'Bikelash' is Everywhere
"Bike lanes are, to mix another transit metaphor, a third rail in politics. There are fights about them everywhere..." more...
Electric Scooters - The New Transport Clutter?
"...We've been riding motorized scooters around San Francisco to get a handle on all the fuss..." more...
Where are Electric Scooters Permitted in Austin?
TX - "...Riding an electric scooter on the Lady Bird Lake hike-and-bike trail, and other off-street park paths, is illegal, city officials say." more...
Ben & Bikes Podcast to Include PeopleForBikes Segment
"...The PeopleForBikes segments will highlight a current legislative issue and how to get involved. The first segment looks at Iowa lawmakers' push to require bike riders to wear high-visibility clothing..." more...
- UK: Limerick councillors push for Greenway progress
- MA: New Boston Bike Lane Causes Confusion
- FL: Woman sues FLHSMV for bike lane negligence
- OR: ODOT in hot seat as safety debate continues
- WA: State laws governing electric bicycles are changing
- D.C.: Volunteers Fish Bike-Share Bikes Out of Rock Creek
Ribbon Cutting Set for Wasson Way Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "...after eight years of work we are announcing THE RIBBON CUTTING for Phase One of the WW...no more dreams we are walking, riding, rollerblading and wheelchairing on the WW!!! Mark your calendar-Saturday, July 14..." more
Towpath Flooding Update
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "The Towpath Trail is closed due to high water and flooding at Lake Ave. in Massillon..."
Dover Seeks Grant to Build Trail
Dover, OH - "As the network of hiking and biking trails grows in Tuscarawas County, the city of Dover is taking steps to expand its portion of that network." more...
$950K Grant to Repave Conotton Creek Trail
Nord Family Greenway Nears Completion
Cleveland, OH - "A huge field of green sod, new plantings and park benches are all hopeful signs that the Nord Family Greenway will be opening soon this spring in University Circle." more...
Short Trail Will Make Some Big Connections
Lexington, KY - "A short walking and bike trail that will connect two other trails in Lexington will officially open Saturday, city officials said Thursday." more...
What Happens When a City Bans Non-Resident Drivers?
Leonia, NJ - "Besieged by commuters taking Waze-powered shortcuts, Leonia, New Jersey, closed its side streets to non-residents. Not everyone is happy with the results." more...
PBOT Bets on "Smart City" Tech
Portland, OR - "...The Portland Bureau of Transportation announced two major data-driven projects last week aimed at making biking safer..." more
Roadmap for Zero U.S. Traffic Deaths
"As a member of the Road to Zero Coalition, the League of American Bicyclists is excited by the progress made to articulate the need for a national movement for Vision Zero – zero traffic deaths and severe injuries. Today’s release of a groundbreaking report setting a goal to eliminate traffic fatalities in the U.S. by 2050 is an important step toward nationwide buy-in for the concept of zero traffic deaths and serious injuries." more...
Fraudulent Bike Sales Websites Sweep Social Media
"Scott taking action against emerging numbers of fraudulent websites." more...
Lance to Pay $5M in Government Fraud Settlement
"Lance Armstrong reached a $5 million settlement with the federal government in a whistleblower lawsuit that could have sought $100 million in damages from the cyclist..." more
- OR: How a Grieving Mother Found Her Voice
- TX: Brownsville needs car-free bike trail
- TX: New 2.6 mile trail unveiled at Sims Bayou Greenway
- SC: Golf Course Transforming into New Bike and Walking Trails
- VA: Roanoke's Greenway Commission shows off 2018 plan for expansion
- NC: Greenway temporary trail completion celebration
- CAN: Vancouver's plan for Arbutus Greenway includes 'Electric Alley'
Flooding Damages Spur Trail in Athens
Athens, OH - From facebook.com/HockhockingAdenaBikeway, "The Columbus Road Spur Trail [of the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway] has been badly hit by the flooding the last couple of days. There is now a second area of heavy bank erosion that has further impacted the trail. Reconstruction will take some time."
Bald Eagles Return to Little Miami
SW OH - "Most people of my generation remember with clarity the first time they saw a wild bald eagle." more...
Dangerous Intersection Getting Makeover
Lexington, KY - "The intersection of Loudon and Bryan avenues in North Lexington has long caused headaches for motorists and pedestrians alike." more...
Making Clinton County More Bike Friendly
Lock Haven, PA - "The Rail Trail 'is our No. 1 priority as Clinton County'..." more
The Greening of the Greenway!
Kokomo, IN - "...volunteers with the Hartford City Urban Forest Greenscape Commission and the Blackford County Greenway joined together to plant 16 trees and 11 grasses along the Greenway trail..." more
South Bend to Test Street Changes that Curb Speeding
IN - "...Kain says drivers will be maneuvering through five traffic-calming measures at different spots around the city." more
A Look at Florida's 'Complete Streets' Record
FL - "A new study highlights the successes and shortcomings of the state's 1984 law that mandated consideration of walking and biking routes in transportation projects." more...
We Blame Pedestrians for Dying
"...It seems as though that sense of duty and care that we all apply while we’re walking, up and vanishes when we get into a car." more...
- TX: Section of Brushy Creek Trail reopens after dam modernization
- VA: Sidewalks, bike trails approved to help commuters
- WA: Port Seeks Dayton-Waitsburg Bike Trail Funding
- WI: Construction to begin on loop trail, two trailheads
- NY: State begins work on West River Parkway trail
- CA: City eyes trail extension linking Greenway and Bay Trail
- GA: Savannah testing green bike lanes
- TX: Ellis commits $10M to Houston-area bike efforts
- MO: St. Louis' bike-share system gets off to a shivering start
- OR: Popular paths that face hurdles in Parks Bureau budget
- CA: 3 hit-and-run crashes in S. L.A. prompt calls for more Vision Zero action
- AZ: Bike counter reaches 100,000 at ASU Tempe campus
Towpath Reopens in Cuyahoga Valley
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - "Read the latest edition.
Contractor Selected for Trail Construction
Petoskey, MI - "City council members on Monday picked a contractor to handle the next construction phase for the Downtown Greenway Corridor..." more
Driver Charged with Murder for Killing Cyclist
CA - "...Though Huerta was initially charged with vehicular manslaughter and released on $75,000 bail, prosecutors at his arraignment last week introduced new charges of murder, DUI, and driving with a suspended license..." more
Why Portlanders Don't Bike with their Kids
OR - "A few weeks ago I wanted to know what prevents you from biking with your young children. I got a lot of feedback..." latest edition.
Woman Stabbed While Biking Tells Her Story
West Palm Beach, FL - "A woman who was stabbed while riding her bike in downtown West Palm Beach describes the horrifying attack." latest edition.
E-Bikes Allowed in Mammoth Bike Park
Mammoth Lakes, CA - "The United States Forest Service has approved e-bike usage in the Mammoth Bike Park, making it one of the first bike parks on USFS land to allow e-bikes." latest edition.
Dockless E-Bikes Might go BYOB (Bring Your Own Battery)
"...One really interesting idea that is being tried out is BYOB, or Bring Your Own Battery. At least two companies, CycleHop and JCDecaux, are giving it a try..." more.
California's 'Prop 68'
CA - "...Although it’s not obvious from it's title, the Parks, Environment and Water Bond—on this June's statewide ballot as Proposition 68, or “Prop. 68”—includes major funding opportunities for trails, walking and biking..." more
- OR: ODOT orders removal of bike lanes
- CA: Cyclist Doored into Path of Oncoming Truck
- CO: Colorado House Passes Bicycle “Safety Stop” Bill
- NZL: Alexander Ray in an induced coma after being hit by a car
- WA: State considers changing name of John Wayne Trail
- SD: Sturgis proposing trails in Black Hills National Forest
- MA: Abandoned rail line some want transformed into a $3M bike-ped trail
- CO: Fruita businesses support trail expansion
- NY: State has $7M to address Rotterdam bike trail gaps
- NJ: Laws, lanes and trails
- CA: Ribbon-cutting set for project connecting local greenways
- VA: Waynesboro planning commission tours phase 3 of Greenway trails
- CAN: Multiple washouts close sections of Mission Creek Greenway
More Towpath Flooding Reports
Boys & Girls Clubs to Create Nature Preserve
Cleveland, OH - " Land that once was part of the giant Cleveland Worsted Mills complex will be developed into a nature preserve and learning center." more...
‘Bike Train’ Planned for L Train Shutdown
NYC - "Commuters, advocates and elected officials rallied Thursday for the first L train 'bike train'." more...
Pedestrian Deaths Continue in Phoenix
AZ - "...In the first week of March alone, drivers stuck and killed 10 people walking on Phoenix streets. A 2014 complete streets ordinance hasn’t made much of an impact in a city that consistently rates as one of the most dangerous places in America for walking..." more
Prague Bicycle Ban to Begin Soon
CZE - "A controversial plan to keep bicycles out of pedestrian zones in Prague 1 during business hours is set to take effect April 26..." more
- OR: '20 is Plenty' Signs Defaced in Portland
- WA: A “Reset” for Move Seattle
- TX: ‘Hike and Bike’ trail to benefit numerous cities
- IL: West Dundee to install downtown bike racks
- WI: Resurfacing of Capital City Trail will mean biking detours
- AL: Mobile unveils Perch Creek Nature Trail and Preserve
- CO: Local businesses support trail expansion
- IRE: Latest phase of Newry greenway to open in May
Towpath Flooding Reports
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "The Towpath Trail is closed due to high water and flooding at the following trailheads: Lake Lucerne to the county line, Lock 4, and Crystal Springs. Water is expected to rise and also close Lake Ave. in Massillon and Wooster St. in Navarre..."
Hockinghocking Adena Bikeway High Water Forecast
Athens, OH - From facebook.com/HockhockingAdenaBikeway/, "With over 1 1/2" of rain on Sunday, April 15th, the Hocking River is again starting to rise. Looks like it will flood the low portion of the bikeway (~15.3') again by 8AM tomorrow, Monday morning.
"Flood potential is not as high as the flood 2 weeks ago, but likely scenarios are for high water in Athens around minor flooding stage (~20'), but possibly as high as major flooding stage (22')..."
Detroit Bike Lanes to be Finished this Spring
MI - "...Like many of the new bike lanes on major corridors in recent years in the city, the bike lanes will be protected by a lane of parking..." more
Why Car Dealerships may be Doomed
Detroit, MI - "...In order for the automobile to preserve its surface function, it's simply going to have to evolve. We all know this end state is coming..." more...
Bike Trail Cleared after Big Blizzard
Sioux Falls, SD - "Here's a good indication that we live in a bike city -- the trail system was plowed on Sunday afternoon following a blizzard that dumped more than a foot of wet snow on the city." more...
Man Found Dead on Sacramento Bike Trail
Rio Linda, CA - "...It appeared he had 'sustained trauma to his body,' according to the sheriff’s department." more...
“Life Is Sacred” in Bogota
COL - "In just 10 years, from 1996 to 2006, Bogotá’s traffic fatalities dropped by half..." more...
- CO: Public interest high in e-bike info
- TX: Construction begins on final piece of Northern Walnut Creek Trail
- CO: Steamboat Springs City Council to consider e-bike policy
- AK: Do mountain bike trails improve Russian Jack Springs Park?
- IRE: Greenway Consultation Should Be Opened For Farmer’s
- MO: KC planning 10-mile bikeway along Paseo
- MA: Thousands of dockless bikes headed for Boston’s suburbs
Tredway Trail to Add 1.5-Mile Expansion
PA - "Scenic sections of the Allegheny River sprinkled with historic sites will highlight the new 1.5-mile extension for the Tredway Trail..." more
Converting a Former Heroin Hotspot into a Greenway
Philadelphia, PA - "...The Conrail tracks here used to be a magnet for heroin users looking for a hidden place to get high..." more
- IL: Bill Klingner Trail enhances rich parks system
- CA: A top 10 list for the Rail Trail
- TX: Volunteers fix up trails
- OR: New bike parking at Roosevelt High School in north Portland
Great Miami River Trail Section Closed
Dickson Bike Path Group on a Roll
MI - "The Dickinson County Bike Path group is dedicated to giving cyclists — and pedestrians as well — room to roam in the region." more...
Public Input Positive on Greenway Trails
KY - "...Months of rain have delayed the parks department from pouring the asphalt that would complete the second phase of the trail." more...
Syracuse Tries a New Placement for Bikes
NY - "The Syracuse suburb of Dewitt is overhauling its wide traffic artery -- and putting bikes at the center." more...
Cape Cyclist Ticketed for Taking the Lane
Cape Coral, FL - "A Cape Coral cyclist cited for riding in the middle of the road claims he chose the safest option he could." more...
Storm Drain Filter Bags Obstruct Bike Lanes
Portland, OR - "...He slammed into one of these, fell to the ground, and tore open a nasty gash in his elbow that required a number of stitches at the ER." more...
New Transit Startups Taking Over Streets & Sidewalks
"Local government needs to catch up to the challenge of controlling streets and sidewalks crowded with new ideas for urban mobility." more...
- SC: Swamp Rabbit Trail extension will cross Laurens Roa
- WI: Capital City Trail slated for major upgrade
- FL: Deputies looking for man who robbed woman on Cady Way Trail
- FL: Feelings mixed after bike lanes added to Curry Ford Rd
- NZL: Rauora Park and the Greenway provide new spaces for people
- NY: 434 Greenway opens to public
- OR: Driver injures bicyclist
- TN: Toilet Plungers Added To East Nashville Bike Lane
Is Euclid Becoming the Next Biking Hotspot?
Euclid, OH - "...In January, the city unanimously approved a master plan that will introduce protected bikeways..." more
Crossing the Ohio River Poses Challenges for Cyclists
Covington, KY - "If you're trying to travel between Cincinnati and Covington by bicycle, you might find your options leave something to be desired..." more
Restored Railroad Car Opens for Earth Day Tours
Police Arrest Serial Bike Shop Thieves
WA - "Issaquah police arrested a man they say is responsible for bicycle thefts and burglaries at stores in three states." more...
Starting a Movement
"...Every day, more than 100 people are killed in traffic crashes on American streets..." more
- OR: Man arrested for hit-and-run
- OR: Metro’s ‘State of Safety’ report
- WA: Rainier RapidRide remake concepts fall short
- IL: Bethalto planning for bike trail
- AR: Bike Trail Linking Hot Springs And Little Rock
- IRE: Construction of Coillte's Slieve Bloom Bike Trail
- WA: Pilot program would allow e-bikes on 5 popular trails in Seattle
- ID: Ryder Park mountain bike trails start Saturday
- MO: Will Expressway extension project damage cave near greenway trail?
- TN: Further upgrades coming to South Chickamauga Creek Greenway
- GA: East Decatur Greenway has grand opening
- IRE: Plan to connect Offaly to the West with canal Greenways
Top 8 Most in Demand Trail Projects
Columbus, OH - "...Based on public feedback and demand." more...
Adventure Guide for Mahoning County
Youngstown, OH - "...The Mahoning County Convention and Visitors Bureau has an outdoor adventure guide that points out some hidden gems." more...
Akron's Parks Improvement Plan
Akron, OH - "...The Akron Parks Collaborative will be tasked with engaging the community in 'friends groups' near each park to help keep Akron parks clean and inviting..." more
Monon Greenway Improvements in Carmel
IN - "The expansion and widening of the Monon Greenway is underway in Carmel..." more
Police Ignore Violent Assault Against Cyclist
"A road-raging driver in Portland, Oregon, sucker punched a cyclist and broke his jaw. The responding officer did nothing." more...
Chaos Breaks Out at Intersection in L.A.
CA - "...The group started surrounding him, and then started damaging the police car... Hitting the vehicle, kicking it, throwing the bikes at it, and then also breaking a window and slashing the tires." more...
Ped-Friendly "Superblocks" Proposed for Melbourne
AUS - "Melbourne's CBD could become largely 'car-free' under a proposal to counter a growing pedestrian crush, and planning experts and advocates say change needs to happen soon." more...
More on the Uber Bike Share Acquisition
"...Rzepecki told TechCrunch the decision to sell came down to Uber’s ability to help the dockless model scale..." more
- OR: ODOT invites reporters to drive distracted
- OR: An emergency speed limit reduction for outer SE Stark St.
- WA: How Seattle politicians get to work
- FL: Growing bike culture in St. Pete
- NC: Long Branch Trail opens in downtown Winston-Salem
- CAN: World-Class Mountain Biking Coming to Nakusp
- WA: Dunn to Congress: Support Mountains to Sound Greenway
- NC: Staying safe on Charlotte's greenway
- IRE: New section of Grand Canal Greenway in Offaly
Officer Delivers New Bike to Young Girl
Toledo, OH - "Haylee McClellan Rowe called Toledo police for a purchasing dispute at a local toy store, and she found the call answered by a thoughtful officer who resolved it himself." more...
Wright Brothers Foundation Wants to License its Trademark
Dayton, OH - "The foundation has previously licensed its mark to companies including Shinola..." more
New Steps Include Bike Runnel
Pittsburgh, PA - "...Including a runnel in the redesign of the new Joncaire Steps will provide a way for people using the Junction Hollow trail on a bike in Schenley Park to access all the amenities that Oakland contains without riding on a cobblestone street..." more
Dismembered Body Found Near Bike Path
Brooklyn, NY - "The body of a dismembered woman was found along a bike path inside of Canarsie Park Monday evening, police say." more
City Council Against Bike Share Fees
Dallas, TX - "...council members and bike-share operators were united in their opposition to the fees as presently proposed." more...
Group Wants to Organize NYC Cycling Workers
NYC - "A crowd of about 30 cyclists gathered in Manhattan’s Union Square on a recent Saturday night in March..." more
I am so Frightened Just to do My Job
"Professional cyclist Macey Stewart posted a video to Indtagram today in which she pleaded with motorists to give riders space when overtaking them." more...
- OR: Oregon looks to update e-bike rules
- VA: Roanoke River Greenway foot bridge installed at Aerial Way Drive
- TN: Stones River Greenway Growing To Barfield Park
- IRE: Efforts to be made so Greenway has local 'economic dividend'
- GA: Brookhaven pays $2M for 19 acres for Peachtree Creek Greenway
- ID: Master plan for Hailey Greenway is nearly complete
Boy Uses Gun to Try to Steal Bike
Akron, OH - "Two Akron women were shaken up after a 14-year-old boy allegedly pointed a gun at them during a failed attempt to steal a bicycle." more...
$200K Approved for LMST Repaving
SW, OH - From Friends of the Little Miami Trail, "The Capital Budget has been signed into law by Governor Kasich, including the recommended $200,000 for repaving parts of the [Little Miami Scenic] trail! These funds, requested by FLMSP, will be administered by ODNR, and they will determine the timing of the disbursement."
Mill Creek MetroParks Receives Endowments
Canfield, OH - "...Naming rights also are in the works for the MetroParks Bikeway, following the establishment of a $100,000 endowment." more...
Smoking Banned in City Parks & Upcoming Bike Trail
Sandusky, OH - "Anyone looking to smoke in Sandusky city parks, will have to go elsewhere." more...
Bike Aboard! Opens Season in CVNP
CVNP, OH - "Ride your bike along the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in one direction and ride the train back in the other!.." more...
Devou Trails & Cycling Program to Grow
Covington, KY - "Cycling and hiking in Devou Park are having a major economic impact in Covington according to a study released by the Devou Good Project (DGP)." more...
Cyclists Insist on Protected Bike Lanes
Philadelphia, PA - "...safety concerns have been heightened since Emily Fredericks was struck and killed by a trash truck as she rode in the bike lane..." more
Uber Acquires Jump
"Jump Bikes has a new owner: Uber..." more
Runaway Success of UT-Austin Bike Share
TX - "...Forty days after launching a free pilot program for UT students with 85 new bikes to serve them, Austin B-Cycle says it’s on track to more than double the ridership of the city’s entire 530-bike system." more...
- TX: Bike crashes down, but cyclists still face dangers on Austin roads
- FL: Cyclists pedal around Davie park
- WA: Seattle halts downtown bike lane project
- MD: Montgomery Co. cracking down on distracted drivers
- GA: Metropolitan Parkway renewal plan won’t protect pedestrians, kids
- SC: Why is it so difficult to get a bike lane?
- VA: Roanoke police: Stolen bikeshare racks returned
- OR: New website is latest piece in the carfree Columbia Gorge puzzle
- NY: Kingston Point Rail Trail still waiting for NY state approval
- OR: State may allow electric bikes on coastal trails
- GA: Newest segment of the North Oconee Rivers Greenway opens
- NC: Welcome to the Long Branch Trail
Licking River Greenway Trail Extension
Covington, KY - "Construction is nearly ready to begin on the final two phases of the Licking River Greenway Trail." more...
Riding to Prosperity
CO - "Three popular bike trail systems bring almost $14.6 million to Mesa County per year, according to a study recently published by researchers with Colorado Mesa University." more...
- NH: Concord soliciting bids for Merrimack River Greenway Trail
- MO: Centennial Greenway extension opens in St. Charles
- TN: First Creek Greenway inching its way north
Trail Paving Celebration Scheduled
Middlefield, OH - "...'The [Maple Highlands] trail is now paved in its entirety,' Oros said. 'It’s over 20 miles now, stretching from the Lake County line in Chardon Township to Swine Creek Reservation in Middlefield Township'..." more
Vandals Strike MTB Trail Before Grand Opening
Chattanooga, TN - "...the biggest slap in the face was the damage to the trail markers. Those markers were placed by Boy Scouts, the Eagle Service Project of one Scout in particular..." more
Cities Easing Rules on E-Bike Use
"A surge in the use of electric bicycles throughout the United States is prompting cities to revise regulations that restrict their use..." more
- IL: Bike trail in the works
- AR: Body of man, 26, is found near trail
- IA: Bridge work near Malvern may impede cyclists on Wabash Trace
- NC: Dollars, jobs flow from paths
- MO: New pedestrian bridges open in St. Charles County
- UT: BK worker stunned as officer replaces stolen bike
Safety Improvements Coming to Xenia Station
Xenia, OH - "...As part of a multi-year traffic improvement plan, the city will re-stripe Detroit Street between Church and Third streets this spring, turning a southbound car lane into a bike lane..." more...
Beatty Station Improvements
Springfield, OH - "...The district has made the improvements to Beatty Station, a stop and parking area on the Little Miami Scenic Trail, a 112-bike trail that stretches from Bellefontaine to Cincinnati." more...
Exploring Cleveland's Rails-to-Trails
OH - "...Oberg was standing along the Cuyahoga River at the Scranton Peninsula explaining how Cleveland’s growing network of trails increasingly showcases a Great lake and a world class trail system." more...
The Law of Riding a Bicycle in Ohio
"I often see people riding bicycles on the road. Is that really legal?" more...
Proposed Bill Would Allow Communities to Lower Speed Limits
OH - "Currently, to lower the speed limit on the street in front of your house requires an act of legislation in the Ohio Legislature..." more...
Johnny Valiant Killed Crossing Street
PA - "The 71-year-old - whose real name was Thomas Sullivan - was hit by a pick-up truck while crossing a road in his hometown in Pennsylvania on Thursday." more...
Pop Up Bike Lane in Orlando
FL - "...The street safety demonstration will begin April 7, and last about four weeks." more...
Blaming Peds for Being Killed by Cars
"... In the aftermath of crashes between drivers and vulnerable road users, such as pedestrians and cyclists, there’s a tendency to blame the victim..." more
- OR: Commissioner will propose a lower speed limit on SE Stark
- CA: Santa Ana River Trail once lined by homeless encampments reopens
- ND: Group seeks to save century-old railroad bridge
- AL: Plan to improve Causeway includes piers, ped-bike trail
- MO: Man convicted of attempted statutory rape in Greenway trail sexual assault
- TN: Dozens Of Trees Planted Along Greenway
- NJ: Proposed greenway has its supporters and detractors
E-Bikes Allowed on the Paint Creek Trail?
MI - "...The new state legislation allows electric bicycles on linear trails with “an asphalt, crushed limestone, or similar surface, or a rail trail.” This includes Paint Creek Trail and surrounding trails..." more
Don't Kick Mamma Moose
Anchorage, AK - "...the moose injured the man Thursday morning... ...the cow and a calf were on a trail, and the 'guy was trying to go through them' when he kicked the mother." more...
AV Twitter Chat
"In response to an automated Uber vehicle killing 49-year-old Elaine Herzberg while she was pushing a bicycle across the street, the Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP) held a twitter chat (#apbpchat) last week..." more
Big City Commutes are Often More Convenient by Bike
"Whether at the office or a social function, mention to a colleague that you happened to cycle there, and you’ll get a familiar reply..." more
Hi-Vis Clothing Law
UK - "New study pours cold water on claims that compulsory hi-vis provides safety benefits." more...
Prague to Ban Bikes From Historic Squares & Streets
CZE - "Cyclists will soon be banned from historic central spots in the Czech capital by officials citing pedestrian safety – yet 1,000 cars will not." more...
- VA: Proposed "Super Street " includes bike lane
- HI: Bike share program expands on Oahu
- TX: UT Bike Share expansion sees large ridership
- CA: Toro Park trail conundrum revisited
- AR: Body found on Tucker Creek walking trail
- OR: E-Bikes could come to Stewart, other state parks
- AR: Cycling provided $137 million to Northwest Arkansas in 2017
- GA: Abernathy Greenway South Trail Park Ribbon Cutting
- VA: Man convicted of greenway attack faces new sex offense charges
The Ongoing Trail Bollard Hazard - Part 2
"...People develop their own beliefs concerning bollard use. Those beliefs are not only subjective, but often wrong (not backed up by data). Public safety should never be a subjective matter." more...
More Trail Flooding Reports
OH - Flooding in Athens has resulted in water over the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway’s Columbus Road spur.
Connecting Trails Near Marietta
NCIT News from Huron County
Huron County, OH - Read their Spring newsletter.
Require AVs to "See" Bicyclists & Pedestrians
"...Right now the Senate is considering S. 1885: AV START Act to set guidelines for automated vehicle manufacturers to test their vehicles on our streets.
"Please join the League in asking Senators to require AVs to pass a vision test proving they can see bicyclists and pedestrians." more...
AVs Will Make Our Streets Worse
"There are a lot of people very excited about automated vehicles and their potential to transform our cities. I’m not one of them..." more
2 Transportation Tragedies That Show it's Time to Put Peds First
"On National Walking Day, a look at how putting cars first kills people who walk..." more
- NC: Charlotte considers red light cameras
- MN: 4th Street redo in downtown Minneapolis
- OR: Timberline will break ground on new bike park this summer
- NM: City repairs potholes along southeast Albuquerque bike trail
- IL: Wood River Township officials break ground on bike trail
- CA: Bike, pedestrian enhancements to improve coastal access
- MA: New section of Freeman rail trail opens
- MD: New Port Covington bike path to run under Hanover St bridge
- OR: New patrol vehicle make it easier for police to patrol Greenway
- MO: Fulbright Spring Greenway Trail Adds new Section
- AR: Campers Now Welcome on the Razorback Greenway
- TN: Maryville to begin replacing Greenway bridges
Towpath Flooding in Summit & Stark Counties
Clinton, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "The Towpath Trail is closed north and south of the Clinton Trailhead due to flooding."
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Water is over the trail in many areas, including Lake Ave., Wooster St., and north of Canal Fulton. Rising water is expected in more areas of the northern Stark County section. We urge everyone to use caution when heading out on the trail."
Columbus Area Trail Flooding
Knox County Trails Report
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Cyclist Struck, Sent to Hospital
Traverse City, MI - "...The woman was riding her bike, coming out of the alley off of Cass Street when she rode through a stop sign." more...
Volunteers Establishing New Biking, Hiking Trail
WV - "...with the blessing of Nitro City Council, Toler and his friend Jim Caudill, also of Nitro, and other volunteers, including Steve Warnick and Matt Poff, have been carving out another trail at Ridenour that is suitable for both mountain bikers and hikers" more...
Bike Trail on Rural Roads a Great Idea
KY - "...there are so many bicycle enthusiasts in and around our community, it only makes sense to add more trails that cover more distances than they currently do..." more...
NYC to Legalize Some E-Bikes
NYC - "New York City will legalize the use of pedal-assist electric bikes, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced Tuesday..." more
Uber AV Death Won't be the Last
"...I think the sensors on the vehicles should have seen the pedestrian well in advance..." more
- OR: Judge denies attempts to stop MTB park
- IL: Can 'Bike Libraries' Fix Chicago's Cycling Equity Gap?
- MA: Authorities clear truck driver in fatal October bike collision
- IL: County officials break ground on bike trail
- CT: Connecting Clinton to the Shoreline Greenway Trail
- MA: Finance and Warrant Commission begins hearing on rail trail
- NC: Study: Greenways provide economic boost to surroundings
- CO: Suspect in St. Vrain Greenway assault arrested
Hi-Rail Project Extends Greenway
Evansville, IN - "A two-and-a-half mile expansion to Pigeon Creek Greenway is underway in Evansville." more...
Kentucky Becomes 30th State To Pass '3-Feet' Law
KY - "...This law will require motorists overtaking a bicycle to: Change lanes to pass if on a multi-lane road and able to safely do so, and provide no less than 3 feet when passing on a single lane road. The law also allows drivers to cross double yellow lines in order to comply with the 3 foot minimum distance under certain circumstances." more...
Hoboken Prioritizes Intersection Visibility
Proposed Bylaw Addresses "Chopping" of Stolen Bikes
CAN - "Toronto city council is set to debate a proposed bylaw Tuesday that would ban the "chopping" of stolen bicycles in downtown parks." more...
4 Ways to Go Beyond Bike-Friendly
"...Some leading companies are going above and beyond employee incentive and community programs, by building an environment that makes it easy and comfortable for employees to “go by bike” to and around work." more...
- CA: San Francisco will regulate electric scooter sharing
- OR: Portland debuts new ‘Struck’ road safety PSA campaign
- TN: New section of 1st Creek Greenway links Fulton High with Edgewood Park
- CO: Trees coming down along Greenway Trail
- CO: Longmont police seeking greenway assault suspect
- AR: NWA Sees Economic Benefits from Bike Trails
Medina Park Volunteers
Medina, OH - "...land steward volunteers spent 2,181 hours monitoring the trails, 24.5 hours planting beneficial plants..." more
Cold Weather Delays Dogwood Trail
Paducah, KY - "...The Paducah Dogwood Trail began in 1964 and has taken place every year since except 2009, when a severe ice storm struck the region." more...
Driver Crashes into Bike Shop
RI - "A South Kingstown man is facing DUI charges after police say he crashed his car into a nearly century old business in Wakefield, Stedman’s Bike Shop." more...
E-Bikes Pulling People Away from Cars
"A study of nearly 1,800 North Americans using electric bikes has found that a large chunk primarily took to pedal-assist bikes in order to help ditch their private cars." more...
People Overestimate Walk/Bike Travel Time
"...These findings, published recently... underscore one of the biggest barriers to getting people to use more active forms of transportation: the perceived time commitment." more...
- NM: Bringing 'Vision Zero' to Albuquerque
- IA: University Avenue could be reduced to 3 lanes
- GA: Sandy Springs to open Abernathy Road trail park
Bike Route Could Roll Through Warren County
KY - "...A plan to bring the proposed U.S. Bicycle Route 23 through Warren County and other parts of the region is picking up momentum..." more
Springtime is Bicycle Time
Fort Wayne, IN - "With the start of spring, more of Fort Wayne's bicyclists will once again be pedaling the city's streets. That means drivers will have to share the road." more...
Hats Off to Trail Volunteers
PA - "Hiking and biking trails have become important quality-of-life amenities in Northeast Pennsylvania..." more
Miami Ped Bridge Collapse still has Experts Baffled
"Engineers the world over have scrutinized the data in search of the bridge’s mysterious and elusive breaking point, but can’t identify the cause." more...
- UK: Why is Cambridge such a big cycling city?
- UK: The most daft and dangerous cycles lanes in Bristol
- MA: Effort underway to extend Lafayette Trail
- AL: 'Complete Streets' project to make Huntsville more bike-friendly
High Water on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - From facebook.com/HockhockingAdenaBikeway, "The Bikeway at the low point between Stimson Ave and US33 overpass is currently under ~1 foot of water.
"The river is cresting this morning, so the bikeway should be passable again soon. If you are trying to get through the flooded section, please use caution. It is safer to go around at the public library or on the dirt path."
Towpath Flooding Report
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Water is over the trail at Lake Ave. in Massillon and is expected to flood over other lower areas in Stark County over the weekend."
Public Meeting to Discuss Multi-use Trail
Solon, OH - "A proposed walking trail would link Solon and Chagrin Falls. Before the project starts, though, resident input is wanted." more...
Cleaning Up Trailside Homeless Camps
Albuquerque Removes Protection from Protected Bike Lane
NM - "Just months after they went up, the city of Albuquerque has dismantled protective posts for downtown bicyclists." more...
FIU Wants to Pave Over Nature Preserve
Miami-Dade County, FL - "...The 13-acre Arch Creek East preserve is known for its bike trail and nature walk that pours to FIU's Biscayne Bay campus -- dedicated by the city to preserve its habitat." more...
- MN: DNR seeks $130M to preserve state park
- MA: Higher Cost Than Expected For Coonamesset Greenway Project
- OR: Bend develops greenway areas
- OR: Carfree Kingston, a rail-trail path and more
- FL: Rails to Trails project could start in December
- NY: Push back against Empire State Trail changes
- TN: Explore Bike Share Announces Locations for First 60 Stations
- CA: Cruising down the highway on his bick – while holding onto a big rig
Man Sought in Attempted Robbery on Trail
Philly Looks to Flip Bike Lanes After Fatality
Philadelphia, PA - "...The change would be a safety improvement on streets where a cyclist died last year, city officials said..." more
Bikes Can Run Red Lights in NYC
NYC - "...On Tuesday, the Department of Transportation and Streetsblog NYC announced a new pilot initiative that will literally give cyclists a head start on traffic at select intersections across the city..." more
Uber Settles with Victim's Family
"Uber Technologies has reached a settlement with the family of the woman killed earlier this month in Tempe, Ariz., after one of the company's self-driving test vehicles struck her as she was crossing a street." more...
What Uber's AV Failure Tells Us
"...The reality is that we’re still in the nascent stages of this new technology and streets are inherently dangerous places..." more
150 Million Users Affected by MyFitnessPal Data Breach
Baltimore, MD - "Sports apparel merchant Under Armour has become the latest victim of a massive digital theft of sensitive information about tens of millions of customers." more
Pro Cyclist Attacked
ITA - "An irate driver assaulted a professional cyclist in Italy this week, sending him to the hospital with a head injury." more
- VT: Bikeshare, rolls into Burlington area
- AL: Council poised to approve city’s first bike share
- OR: University of Portland says it’ll build 16-foot wide greenway trail
- CA: Bike shop, open for more than a century, to close next month
- MS: Bike rider bitten by pit bull on the Longleaf Trace
- MA: Bike trail expansion on track
- VA: Bike Trail in Mount Vernon Eyed for Improvements
- TX: Work Begins on Lady Bird Lake Trail Bridge
- NY: Kinderhook residents express concerns about Albany-Hudson trail
- LA: 'Pop up' lane offers test path
- CO: Man accused of starting 7 grass fires along Longmont greenway sentenced
Making Akron More Bike-Friendly
Akron, OH - "...To truly become a more bicycle-friendly community, Akron needs a core network of connected bike lanes that will link our neighborhoods to key destinations and business districts across the city..." more
Trumbull County Considers Parks Levy
Warren, OH - "Trumbull and Columbiana are the only two counties in Northeast Ohio that don’t have park levies, but now, Trumbull County is thinking about changing that." more...
Hit-Skip Victim Back on the Bike
PA - "...The fact that he’s now back on the seat of a bike is simply inspiring to those around him." more...
Sullivan gets $696K for Greenway
IN - "The city of Sullivan has been awarded $696,000 in federal funds as part of a downtown greenway project..." more...
Signs Allow Parking in Bike Lane
Rochester, NY - "...Bryan Agnello noticed this issue months ago and alerted the city of the problem, but nothing has been fixed." more...
Hot Brake Rotor Starts Forest Fire
AUT - "...The fire was caused by a mountain biker, who put his bike in the meadow during a descent for a break. Presumably due to the overheated brake disc, a tuft of grass is likely to have ignited..." more
Amtrak Bike Service Survey
Take the survey.
'Idaho Stop' Still Misunderstood by Some
"...There’s a perception among some people that this is giving special rights to bicyclists and legalizing an unsafe behavior." more...
- OR: Updated plans for North Rosa Parks way ‘protected’ bike lanes
- CA: Pedestrian's bicycle stolen after she is fatally struck
- CA: BART to crack down on LimeBikes left at stations
- OR: Man tells police bicycle was taken from him at gunpoint
- WI: Kenosha County Bike Trail sexual assault suspect sought
- CAN: Mountie cleared in crash with suspect fleeing on bike
- NY: Proposed changes to Erie Boulevard for statewide bike trail
- GA: Bike advocate plans new system of trails
- IA: New Art Installation Brightens Bike Trails
- AUS: Bike group maps out new Wondai trail
- GA: East Coast Greenway takes shape
70,000 Sign Petitions Protesting Pipelines
VA - "...Activists also gave Northam an online petition signed by more than 62,000 citizens from around the country calling on Northam to stop the pipelines, which they said would threaten the Blue Ridge Parkway, the Appalachian Trail and miles of national forest land..." more
Company Sued for Bus Design That Caused Cyclist Death
"...51-year-old Kavyan Khiabani was killed in April 2017 after he was sucked underneath the wheels of a large coach manufactured in 2008 by Motor Coach Industries (MCI)." more...
Safer Roads are Possible
"A new World Resources Institute report study explores the barriers to reducing road fatalities." more...
- TX: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in McLennan
- CT: Cheshire resident working to create bike-sharing program near trail
- FL: Proposal to extend Florida's bike trails
- WI: Investigators hope DNA will lead to arrest after sexual assault on bike trail
- NY: Greenway to fund playgrounds in two Niagara Falls parks
- CAN: City considering realigning Georgia Greenway to save three trees
New Bike Racks Coming to Fremont
OH - "...Fremont Mayor Danny Sanchez said the project was developed as a way to attract bike riders using the Northcoast Inland Bike Trail, which runs through Sandusky and Ottawa counties, and to promote health and wellness among residents and tourists." more...
Industrial Heartland Trail Network
Meet the group that's working to complete trail networks that connect four states: Pennsylvania, New York, Ohio, and West Virginia. more...
See the map of their envisioned trail network.
Ann Arbor Considers Reducing Traffic Speeds
MI - "...Some of the ideas in the new report include adopting a zero-tolerance policy on speeding in the city, doing more traffic-calming projects..." more
Uber AVs Shut Down in AZ
AZ - "...The move follows the death of Elaine Herzberg, a pedestrian who was struck and killed by one of the company's self-driving vehicles on March 18." more...
Plans to Connect Baltimore’s Green Space
MD - "...The Baltimore Greenway Trails Network project currently comprises 25 miles of existing trails and 10 miles of corridor gaps that could create integral trail connections to complete the network..." more
Crash Potential with "Speedy" E-Bikes
S. Korea - "...It appears seniors, mostly with reduced agility and physical abilities, were unfit for maneuvering fast electric bicycles, increasing the accident rate involving the bikes..." more
- MO: Bike-share may start soon in St. Louis, Alton
- NYC: Drivers are mowing down traffic safety pylons
- OR: Portland’s irrational fear of off-road cycling
- FL: Master plan for Emerald Necklace project
- WI: 67-year-old woman sexually assaulted on Kenosha County Bike Trail
- IL: Metro East neighbors worry bike trails may make homes target for burglaries
- TX: Renovated dam trail and beaches reopening at Lake Waco
- CO: Forest, BLM remind public of electric bike rules
- WA: Teenage suspect in Greenway rape will be tried as an adult
Mill Creek Gears Up for Major Upgrades
Canfield, OH - "As warmer weather approaches, Mill Creek MetroParks is gearing up for a slew of capital improvements." more...
ODNR Launches New Trails Website
"With more than 5000 of miles of trails, from biking, hiking, running, walking, water trails, and equestrian, Ohio has numerous opportunities to get out and explore." more...
State Seeks Input on Biking/Walking Improvements
PA - "If you are a pedestrian or a bicyclist — and most of us are one or both — the state Department of Transportation wants to hear from you." more...
Police Search for Ped Who Scratched Car
Allen Park, MI - "Police are searching for a suspect who scratched the hood of a car while walking past the parked car on an Allen Park sidewalk earlier this month." more...
Trails at Rocky Flats Refuge Set to Open
CO - "...The neat thing about Rocky Flats is it has been undisturbed for the past 70 years..." more
- IA: Cedar Rapids' Mount Trashmore transformation
- OR: ODOT opens new bike path segments in north Eugene
- TX: North Texas Cities Pedaling Forward With New Bike Lanes, Trails
- OR: Repairs could close a portion of Row River Trail
- IRE: Newry-to-Carlingford greenway delayed for months
- IRE: Petition for Athenry-Sligo greenway gathers 10,000 signatures
The Good & Bad from 2017 Ohio Bicycle Crash Stats
OH - "...It used to be that $400 in property damage was sufficient to generate a crash report that added to the total – the State bumped up the minimum damage for reporting such crashes to $1000..." more
It's Time to Shut Down Uber AVs
"Uber’s self-driving program has never played by the rules, and now our safety is at risk." more...
The Bike-Share Oversupply in China Via Photos
"Last year, bike sharing took off in China, with dozens of bike-share companies quickly flooding city streets with millions of brightly colored rental bicycles..." more
- NE: Connecting two bike paths in Lincoln
- ND: Downtown advocates push for rail trail, depot projects
- MN: Memorywood street plan gains traction
TJ Evans Trail Section Closed
Granville, OH - From lickingparkdistrict.com, "A section of the TJ Evans Bike Path is closed from Main St at Granville Milling up to the Granville Rotary Bridge [a distance of 1 mile], until further notice. The closure is due to bank erosion and unstable bank conditions."
"For your safety, please observe all path closure signs and do not cross into closed areas.
"Updates will appear on the Licking Park District website, Facebook and the Trail Hotline (740.349.4823). Thank you for your cooperation as safety issues are addressed along the Bike Path."
Trail Club Seeks Expansion Help
MI - "...the CHTC has been successful in completing Phase One and Phase Two of the trail project, which extends the trail to the tip of High Rock Bay..." more
Hudson Valley Rail Trail Getting $3.6M Boost
NY - "Officials announced Friday they will spend $3.6 million to forge a key link for the Hudson Valley rail trail by fall." more...
Bicycle Revolution, A Course On Wheels
"...Harvey Mudd College Professor of Political Science and Environmental Policy Paul Steinberg has developed a unique course conducted entirely on wheels..." more
- WI: Bike trail connecting Mississippi River to Lake Michigan faces big obstacles
- CO: City of Cortez plans to expand bike trails
- MA: Supporters and opponents of the Rail Trail
- NY: Dewitt host to public open house for Empire State Trail design
- CAN: Webster Street bike lane pitch sparks debate in Kentville
- WA: Anti-bike lane group tweet backfires
Akron's Bike Lane Plans
Akron, OH - "...The city says the Knight Foundation grant will help make Akron more bike-friendly with a plan for connecting neighborhoods, the downtown business district and the Towpath Trail with bike lanes..." more
Columbus Rd Bike Path Spur Repairs Scheduled
Athens, OH - "...Repair of the bank is planned to begin in late April. The path is currently open to users." more...
Video From Deadly Uber Crash Released
"Footage shows what happened inside and outside the vehicle moments before the fatal crash that killed a woman walking her bicycle." more...
Cyclists will Need Detection Beacons to Be "Seen" by AVs
"Many lives would be saved if cycles were fitted with “bicycle-to-vehicle” sensors, a cycle industry association boss told automotive leaders..." more
Bike Share Brake Lines Being Cut in Seattle
WA - "All three of Seattle's bike-share companies say vandals are cutting the brake cables on their bikes." more...
Company Wants to Redefine Bike Parking
"Oonee, a Brooklyn-based startup, will debut its colorful, customizable 'bike pods' in April." more...
- UT: Man, 26, saved from Utah canyon after father calls sheriff
- WA: Hearing to decide if Yakima Greenway rape suspect will be tried as adult
- CA: Train buffs will fight Sacramento bike trail
- TX: Plano approves eminent domain for new hike and bike trail
- NY: Connecting the Erie Canal trail from DeWitt to Camillus
- TX: Katy area has hands full with transportation challenges
- OR: Another person killed while walking in east Portland
Akron to Partner with Copenhagenize Design Co.
Akron, OH - "The city of Akron is working with Copenhagenize Design Co. to plan a connected bicycle grid that will make it easier for residents to bicycle around the city." more...
Ohio Capital Budget Highlights
Columbus, OH - "Senate President Larry Obhof (R-Medina) announced Wednesday night the Senate's passage of the state's Capital Budget, a $2.62 billion investment in Ohio's infrastructure and local community projects." more...
Niles Township considers LimeBike
Niles, IN - "Those bright green, shareable bicycles in South Bend have a way of migrating north up around Niles." more...
'Twisted Oliver' to Open Soon
Scottsville, KY - "As we wait for Spring-like weather to arrive, several volunteers are ready to open a new trail for hikers and bikers at Port Oliver on Barren River Lake." more...
Economic Analysis of the Devou Park Trail System
KY - "We are pleased to release our analysis on the effect of the Backcountry Trail System located in Devou Park, Covington, KY." more...
“Things in Bike Lanes” Campaign
CO - "Bicycle Colorado and Bike Denver have teamed up to raise awareness about safety issues in Denver’s bike lanes." more...
Milwaukee Drivers Don't Like to Yield to Peds
WI - "Researchers observed 364 crossings at 20 intersections in Milwaukee, and drivers only yielded 16 percent of the time." more...
E-Bikes Are Getting More People Out of Their Cars
"A new survey takes a deep dive into how and why people use electric bikes. Spoiler alert: They tend to ride more often after they buy one." more...
Energy Is Real
"...The driver’s anger poisoned the energy of the other drivers on the road. Everyone started honking." more...
- TN: Franklin Road residents 'thrilled' with new sidewalk link
- JPN: 13 holiday hikers rescued from snowy Tokyo mountain
- CA: Kitsbow honors trail advocates in three states
- FL: Cyclists will celebrate 10 years of Legacy Trail
- AL: Kiwanis Centennial Park connects Birmingham’s Vulcan to growing greenway network
- OR: More Of Those Greenways, Bend
Study Finds 29% of U.S. Drivers Drive Like Jerks
"The good news from the latest ZenDrive study is that 71 percent of drivers on the road in the USA drive safely. The bad news is that the remaining 29 percent are phone addicts, frustrated lead-footers and speed demons." more...
Independence to Break Ground on New Trail
Cincy Bike Plan Has Stalled
Cincinnati, OH - "...eight years into the plan's adoption, the city has only installed or implemented roughly 20 miles worth of new bike infrastructure, according to city data." more...
Royal Oak to Begin Creating Bike Lane Routes
MI - "Royal Oak is getting ready to establish north-south bike lane routes through the city this spring." more...
Making Bike Connections in Atlanta
Atlanta, GA - "...Nobody builds a road that’s unconnected to another road, right?.." more
More Details on Fatal Uber Crash
"...Traveling at 38 mph in a 35 mph zone on Sunday night, the Uber self-driving car made no attempt to brake..." more
Take Action to Require AVs to See Bikes & Peds
"On Sunday night, an autonomous vehicle operated by Uber hit and killed a pedestrian in Tempe, AZ, as she was walking her bicycle across the street. While the details of the crash are still forthcoming, the League of American Bicyclists is concerned that these vehicles are being deployed without having to first prove their ability to recognize and respond to people biking and walking in our streets." more
Bike Share Rider Takes to Highway
Boston, MA - "Harrowing footage shows someone riding a Hubway bike through a highway tunnel in downtown Boston." more...
Closer to Bike Share is Better for Business
"A new study from researchers at New York University (NYU) shows that restaurants closer to bike share stations do better business than those farther away..." more
Police Officers Schooled on Traffic Laws
AUS - "...The police officers wasted little time pulling into a nearby driveway and beginning to explain our wrongs..." more
- AR: Traffic study focuses on 2 cities in effort to cut ped deaths
- NV: Reno's Newest Bike Lanes
- OR: Eyewitness describes bicycle rider’s collision with MAX train
- WA: Don’t delay the downtown bike network
- CA: Parents in Ocean Beach Fight to Keep Beloved Bike Track
- UT: 15-year-old arrested for sexual assault on walking trail
- NY: Scenic viewpoints added to NY bridge's rebuilt sidewalk
Woman Killed by Self-Driving Uber
AZ - "A self-driving car operated by Uber struck and killed a woman in Tempe, Arizona, as she was walking her bicycle..." more
$35K for Ohio & Erie Canalway
Akron, OH - "...The Summit County Trails grant provides essential seed funding for the planning, development and activation of multi-use recreational trails throughout Summit County..." more
Park Board Looks to Finalize Supervisor Position
Madison County, OH - "The Friends of Madison County Parks and Trails (FMCPT) have decided the new Park District Supervisor should be a county employee." more
Have Smart Streets Driven Downtown Turnaround?
South Bend, IN - "...He found that smart or 'complete' streets were a common thread running through success stories..." more
Computer Scientist Fights Blocked Bike Lanes
NY - "...Three years ago he sued U.P.S., targeting the delivery company’s trucks for blocking his bike path..." more
Bike Share Companies Face Uphill Ride in U.S.
San Francisco, CA - "A bike-sharing craze that has swept China over the past two years is picking up speed in cities across the United States, but with a different spin..." more
Ofo Bike Share Co. Raises $866M
"...'Ofo has been transitioning from a phase of rapid growth to a stage of high-quality development,' founder and CEO Dai Wei said in the company statement." more
- AL: Commercial corridor in Birmingham's Avondale to be redesigned
- NZL: Anti-cycleway protester arrested after attacking traffic island with sledgehammer
- WV: Cyclist alleges unmarked speed bump at Stonewall Resort caused crash
- CA: How L.A. Is Becoming a Cycle-Friendly City
- TX: Shiloh Bike Trail in need of restoration
- TX: City commission to vote on West Rail agreement with county
- CAN: Students seeking bike lane on Lake Trail Rd.
- MN: Greenway Coalition to kick off campaign to extend trail
- NY: Bike share programs catching on in Westchester cities
- NYC: Lights Are Finally Coming to the Hudson Greenway “Cherry Walk”
Sandusky County is Getting About $1.5M for Improvements
Sandusky County, OH - "Sandusky County is getting about $1.5 million for projects in the new state capital improvements bill, including money for local universities and for parks development." more...
Group Wants Nickel Plate Rail Preservation
Fishers, IN - "A group that promotes trails and greenways is trying to persuade officials in two Indianapolis suburbs to include both a railway and a trail in the redevelopment of an old rail line." more...
No Reduction in Sentence for 14-Year-Old Who Killed Cyclist
PA - "Derrys Sanders Jr. was 14 years old when he killed another teen because he wanted the victim's bicycle." more...
Ped Deaths Spike in Richmond
VA - "...It’s the most pedestrian deaths in the city since at least 2010, when the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles starting tracking the data statewide." more...
Seattle Experiments with Bike Share Parking
WA - "...There are five locations in Ballard where SDOT painted bikeshare parking stalls. They are located in “furniture zones” of the neighborhood’s sidewalks..." more
Amateur Motor Doper Receives Punishment
UK - "...Fontayne’s case is the second example of a rider being banned from racing for what is officially known as 'technological fraud'..." more
- IL: Hoax device recovered on bike trail
- TN: More-advanced MTB trail to open at Enterprise South Nature Park
- TN: Knoxville mountain biking gains national attention
- NC: Phase one funded for Matrimony Creek Greenway project
Huron County Projects will Improve Park Trails
Norwalk, OH - "...The three projects are $150,000 for improvements to Willard Reservoir at Willard, $100,000 for improvements to a trail in the City of Norwalk, and $33,000 for a trail project in Monroeville." more...
Protected Bike Lanes Coming
Philadelphia, PA - "Protected bike lanes are coming to Market Street and JFK Boulevard in Center City by the spring, Philadelphia officials announced on Saturday." more...
Commissioner Sees Countywide Trail Project as a Conspiracy
Lackawanna County, PA - "...I don’t have a problem if a borough or a town wants to build their trail, but they’re talking about this being a countywide trail and there’s a specific agenda behind that, and it’s to try to get people out of their cars..." more
Suspect Sought in Fatal Attack on Bicyclist
AZ - "A Scottsdale man has died from head injuries after another man forced him to be thrown from his bicycle last month, police said." more
Man Killed when Motorized Bicycle Malfunctions
MO - "...Pavel A. Nadtochayev, of Willow Springs, was riding the bicycle on a private road about seven miles west of Pomona when the bicycle malfunctioned and Nadtochayev was ejected..." more
Stolen Bicycle Leads To ‘Little Acts Of Kindness’
Brooklyn, NY - "If you walked down Clinton Street in Caroll Gardens in early March, chances are you noticed the 8-foot by 3-foot sign making a plea to whoever stole a bicycle..." more
What Google Maps Could Learn From Strava
"...Strava’s route-planning feature is my go-to. It’s the type of alternative that Google could learn from to make its bike-based navigation not just acceptable, but excellent..." more
- MA: Proposed bike trail sounds like paving paradise
- CO: Construction begins on South Canyon bike trails network
- UT: Green River opens its first bike and hike trail
- NZL: Teen trail bike rider flown to Tauranga Hospital after breaking leg
- NC: Residents comes together to make Greenway a little more green
- IRE: Barnagh Tunnel project in west Limerick likely to be delayed
Cyclist Identified from Fatal Crash
Elkhart County, IN - "...Miller died at the scene. Police say he was wearing a reflective vest and had lights on his bicycle.." more...
DOT Prepping More Barrier Work Along Bikeway
NYC - "Construction is slated to start this summer and last into 2019." more...
[Barriers/bollards create permanent hazards for trail users. Learn more...]
What Caused the Miami Ped Bridge Collapse?
"The unfinished pedestrian overpass that toppled onto the Tamiami Trail on Thursday was being built under a relatively novel approach called accelerated bridge construction..." more
Bridge Collapse Is About So Much More Than a Failed Structure
"It's an indictment of the approach to transportation planning that opts for pedestrian bridges instead of making streets safe for people to cross on foot." more
Coast to Coast Trail Spurs Business Growth
FL - "Entrepreneurs across Central Florida have opened inns and bike shops — and one city is investing more than $1 million to boost business — all in hopes of benefiting from a bike trail that’s carving a path through the state." more...
Spurring Mobility in Cities of the Future
"Rails to Trails was at the SXSW Cities Summit this week, exploring the role of trails in the cities of the future. I sat down with Jeff Risom, partner and managing director U.S. of Gehl—a cutting-edge, international design firm that focuses on the intersection of quality of life and the built environment." more...
- CA: Part of Lake Merritt path to get protected bike lanes
- NM: APD seeks 2 people of interest after man was killed on bike trail
- OR: Porter takes plea deal in bike path shooting
- CA: Lodi cycling group hopes unused rail line can become new trail
- CA: Proposed rail plan envisions ‘world class’ North Coast hiking trail
- OR: Funding secured for Greenway expansion
- GA: Purchase of the Southside Trail land is a huge deal for the Atlanta BeltLine
At Least 4 Dead in Ped Bridge Collapse
Miami, FL - "A pedestrian bridge under construction collapsed Thursday, just days after crews had dropped an elevated 950-ton span in place..." more
'Book-a-Bike' Program in Athens
Athens, OH - "Book-a-Bike is a FREE bike borrowing program available at library branches in Athens, Glouster, The Plains, Nelsonville (and Chauncey–coming soon!)." more
Dayton MetroPark About to Grow
Dayton, OH - "...Five Rivers MetroParks has entered into a purchase agreement with Calvary Mission Baptist Church for 45.8 acres of land..." more
City Seeks $55K for Sidewalk Project
Port Clinton, OH - "The City of Port Clinton is seeking additional grant funding from the Ohio Department of Transportation for a sidewalk project on Jefferson Street..." more
Stolen FL Bike Turns up in Ohio
Fairview Park, OH - "...Officers checked the bicycle's serial number through the computer system and found it had been stolen from the Orlando area..." more
Finishing the Trail Bridge at Cocalico Creek
PA - "The rail trail bridge over the Cocalico Creek just west of Akron is still a project in progress." more...
Greenways + Blueways 2020 Plan Introduced
IN - "...The plan encourages local governments and private land owners to create connections between patches of natural areas in Northwest Indiana." more...
Montreal Considers 'Idaho-Stop' Law
CAN - "Many cyclists (including this one) complain that rules designed for cars don't make sense for bikes..." more...
- IRE: Cork cyclists call for a greenway from Inniscarra Dam to Crosshaven
- HI: City wants more protected bike lanes
- OR: Greenways will be good for Bend
- SC: Rotary Beauty Trail opens Sunday in Florence
- VT: Stratton ski resort to get lift and biking park
- UT: Athena Bike Trail in Green River opens March 17
- WI: Wisconsin's NH-AL State Forest to get expanded trail system
- GA: Camp Creek Greenway construction to begin soon
- OR: PBOT’s new ‘Enhanced Transit Corridors’ plan
- UK: Prison sentence for sleeping driver after horrific crash into cyclist
Woman Charged with Vehicular Manslaughter
Athens, OH - "...Summer J. Bess, 37, of Glouster, was charged with the second-degree misdemeanor after she allegedly hit Russell Wade Cullums, 56, of Guysville with her car as he was walking his bicycle along the berm of Ohio Rt. 13..." more
Truck Rolls Over Bike While Rider Escapes
Orange Twp., OH - "A cyclist escaped from the path of an oncoming truck -- but his bike did not..." more
Protected Bike Lanes Ease Congestion
Philadelphia, PA - "...protected bike lanes can lead to less space for cars — and, by extension, they reason, more congestion. But analysis proves otherwise." more...
Another Pedestrian Death on SE Division
Portland, OR - "...In a sad twist, it appears the exact location where Mr. Chan was hit is waiting for a new rapid flashing beacon, median island and marked crosswalks." more...
Complete Streets in the Age of Autonomous Vehicles
"In late February, I attended the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)’s Public Listening Summit on Automated Vehicle Policy..." more
- FL: Parents concerned over cars parking on sidewalk near school
- OR: Bicycle rider involved in collision with a MAX train
Flooding Erosion Threatens Athens Trail
IU Professor Dies after Bike Crash
Richmond, IN - "...He was found unconscious at the scene around 6:30 a.m. Monday. The circumstances surrounding the crash remain under investigation." more...
Feds Award $750K for Belle Isle Trail
Detroit, MI - "Federal funds will help pay for a 6-mile, multi-use loop trail around Belle Isle Park in Detroit." more...
Seattle Passes E-Bike Law
WA - "...The new law, Senate Bill 6434, classifies the bicycles into three categories, eliminates a minimum-age requirement for the slower e-bikes and requires manufacturers to label the classification number... more
Driver Hits Trail Users Crossing the Road
Saugus, MA - "...In light of a recent accident in which an elderly couple were walking on the trail and were struck by a car, Planning Board chairman Peter Rossetti said he would like to see additional signs with flashing lights installed where the rail trail crosses major roads." more...
Apple Maps Now Includes Bike-Share Stations
"The new tool can help you find bike-share services in about 180 cities around the world." more...
Naked Cyclists Demand Safer Streets
BRA - "In São Paulo, Brazil, the World Naked Bike Ride was once again a rallying cry against an alarming rate of cycling deaths." more...
Behold, the Dockless Scooter
"Both LimeBike and Bird plan to bring the new urban mobility option to cities beyond California." more...
DeFeet Uses Blockchain Technology to Deter Counterfeiting
Hildebran, NC - "...Consumers will be able to scan their products with a mobile device to ensure they are not counterfeit and to register the product." more...
- CO: E-bike talks open door to easement examination
- IL: Road widening west of Route 59 calls for multi-use trail
- OK: Advocates Hoping For Boom On New OKC Bike Trails
- IA: Alcohol Banned on Part of High Trestle Trail
- IL: IDOT Proposes Detailed Options for Lakefront Trail
- OR: PBOT unveils new design for greenway update
- NC: Dockless bike-sharing is surging in Charlotte
Miami Valley Trail User Survey Results
SW OH - "...Here are some of the key findings from the most recent survey released Friday." more...
Trumbull County MetroParks Eyes Tax Levy
Warren, OH - "Declining revenue from natural gas wells and increasing costs are just two of the reasons Trumbull County residents may be asked to approve a levy to operate the County MetroParks." more...
New Greenway Coming to Beech Grove
Beech Grove, IN - "...The 2.5-mile trail will run through the city and the parks system. It will feature four bridges and five trailheads..." more
Lackawanna County Looks to Create New Trail
Elmhurst Twp., PA - "...In 1980, Lackawanna County bought a ten mile stretch of land which is basically abandoned rail line that stretches from Dunmore to Jefferson Township." more
Rally Demands Safer Streets
NYC - "Hundreds of traffic safety advocates and Park Slope residents made their demands for safer streets heard on Monday at a march and rally held exactly one week after two children were fatally struck by a car in the neighborhood." more
Over 200 Felled Trees in Nickerson State Park
Brewster, MA - "...Over 200 trees were felled between the january and March nor'easters, according to state Department of Conservation and Recreation spokesman Troy Wall.
"...69 large trees had fallen across the park's bike trail..." more
Coloradans Sound Off on E-Bikes
CO - "...a few local governments are trying to get ahead of an expected surge in electric bike activity. This too is unleashing a strong undercurrent of emotion." more...
HOPR is the All-in-One App
"A new app by bike-share company CycleHop lets you find, plan, and pay for different ways to get around a city." more...
400 Cyclists Killed or Injured Due to Potholes
UK - "...The figures have prompted Cycling UK, which says that casualties are on 'a steadily worsening trend,' to urge the government to take action." more...
New Device Designed to Stop Cars from Driving on Sidewalk
UK - "Yannick Read, 47, of Bristol, has created the 'Catclaw' and says it will save lives and could even stop terror attacks." more...
Dockless Bike Shares: Why Can't We Have Nice Things
"It is exhilarating to have a bike anywhere you want it. It is depressing to see the state of the bikes." more...
- MO: Work begins this week on Maline Greenway trail in North County
- TN: Forested Riverbend To Become Nashville Park
- NC: Gastonia wants to expand greenway system with bridge
- CAN: Winnipeg has fast-tracked option for Yellow Ribbon Greenway extension
- IRE: Farmers affected by greenways ‘not treated properly’
- CAN: Initiative seeks dedicated fat bike trails for Revelstoke
Little Miami Trail News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Ped Bridges to Coke Ovens Need Replaced
Leetonia, OH - "...Siembida said council needs to replace the current wooden bridges at the coke ovens park with ones that are handicap accessible..." more
Bike Park Fundraising in Lebanon
Lebanon, OH - "...Every $10 individual donation to the bike park between now and June 2nd will be entered to win this sweet new ride..." more
Ann Arbor Bike Share to Relaunch
MI - "The Ann Arbor-based Clean Energy Coalition is getting out of the bike share biz." more...
Truckers Don't Like Bike Share
Boston, MA - "A deal to dump 1,200 new rental bikes on the streets of Boston under a new pact with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts has a state truckers’ group fearing trouble is ahead." more...
BionX Shuts Down, Searches for New Owner
CAN - "BionX Canada, the maker of retrofit e-bike conversion kits, has entered into receivership..." more...
- ID: Ebikes are coming (ready or not)
- CAN: Proposed bike lane through Kitsilano Beach Park met with opposition
- WA: Bicycling reporter dodges cars and pedestrians through bike-lane construction
Volunteers Create & Maintain Moon Lake Park Trails
Plymouth Twp., PA - "When the formerly county-owned Moon Lake Park became the property of the state, Meghan Martin wondered what would happen to some of her favorite mountain biking trails." more...
6 Cities Trail Plan Coming to Fruition
TX - "Local North Texas cities are making headway on establishing an interconnected trail system among six neighboring cities..." more
Boring Tunnels will be for Cyclists & Peds?
"Elon Musk's Boring Company is set to revolution the face of ... cycling?" more...
- CO: Should e-bikes be allowed on Colorado’s single-track trails?
- AL: Singing River Trail receives public approval
- WA: Yakima starts to realize its potential for bicycling
Akron Awarded $8M TIGER Grant
Akron, OH - "The project will design and reconstruct a portion of South Main Street to incorporate complete streets elements including roadway reconstruction with traffic calming and a road diet, streetscape improvements, upgraded traffic signals, bicycle and pedestrian facilities, bus shelter enhancements, lighting, wayfinding signage, and improved storm water management." more...
Trail Development in Galena
Galena, OH - "...Surveying has been completed and design is in process for the Galena Brick Trail Phase 2 project north of Holmes St." more...
Move to Change Adirondack Park Rules to Allow Rail-Trails
NY - "The Cuomo administration is again pushing forward with a controversial plan to build a rail-trail path from Lake Placid through Saranac Lake to Tupper Lake." more...
Trail Opening Delayed Due to Golf Ball Hazard
CA - "...As the construction of the trail neared completion early last month, members of the City’s Parks and Recreation Department noticed that golf balls mishit over the net were a risk to walkers and riders using the trail..." more
3 Steps to Designating U.S. Bicycle Routes
"One of the key tenets of the U.S. Bicycle Route System is the fact that each route is officially designated. But what does that mean?.." more
NCUTCD Online Survey
"This doesn’t happen very often: The obscure but hugely influential National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices is asking for direct feedback from ordinary transportation pros." more...
- IA: Work underway to extend popular trail in Johnson County
- WA: Lofts project to bring housing for bike-riding millennials
- CAN: Tofino receives $2.3M for bike path to Pacific Rim park
- OR: Safety fixes needed on outer Southeast Stark Street
- FL: NASCAR driver Scott Lagasse Jr. touts bicycle, pedestrian safety
- CA: Homeless Camp Cleanup: 400+ Tons Of Debris, nearly 14,000 Needles, 5,300 Lbs. of Human Waste
Little Free Pantry Opens on Razorback Greenway
Fayetteville, AR - "...The idea behind the pantry is to give people an opportunity to give while providing a helping hand to those in need." more...
Cyclist Knocked Out, Robbed on Trail
WA - "Police in Aberdeen say a man was struck from behind while riding his bike Wednesday and woke up to find his bike, cell phone and sneakers gone." more...
Unhelpful Ways Cities Talk About Bike Helmets
"...'We’re obsessing over helmets, but we’ve already sort of skipped over the problem,' Culver said. 'The actual problem is people getting hit by cars'..." more...
The Gender Gap in Walking
"A recent Stanford study examined walking rates around the globe, finding that in a diverse range of countries, girls and women walk less than boys and men." more...
- OK: City council approves feasibility study for bike trail
- CAN: Compromise could pave way for completion of rail trail
- CO: Cheyenne Mountain trail completion imminent
- AUS: World-Class Bike Trail Opens In Harcourt
- ID: Construction to begin on Greenway trail along I-15 this spring
- TN: Station Camp Greenway completed
- OR: Portland campus expansion puts greenway advocates on edge
- MO: Construction on $2.6 million North County greenway to begin
- MA: Blue Cross to sponsor Boston bikeshares
- LA: As spring arrives, New Orleans sees an uptick in bike-sharing program
Little Miami Trail Closure Alert
South Lebanon, OH - From Friends of the Little Miami, "The trail will be closed at the State Route 48 overpass near South Lebanon beginning March 26 as ODOT works to fix the washout issues. This work is scheduled to last 5 days."
Solon Gets $300K in Trail Funding
Solon, OH - "...That in itself goes a long way toward securing funding for the proposed 'Solon-to-Chagrin Falls Trail'..." more
The Miami 2 Miami Trail Plan
Butler & Warren Counties, OH - "...Called the Miami 2 Miami Connection, the idea was first proposed in 2002, but Tri-State Trails has rejiggered the plan and gained support from all of the communities it would traverse." more
Cincy Must Become More Bike-Friendly
Cincinnati, OH - "...For a city with a well-established and centrally-located urban population, the lack of accommodations for cyclists and their safety is disappointing..." more
County Working on Extending Karst Farm Greenway
IN - "Several former railroad bridges will be reconstructed for pedestrian use along an unopened portion of the Karst Farm Greenway." more...
3 Foot Law Heads to KY Senate for Final Approval
Frankfort, KY - "The Bluegrass State is one step closer to a safe-passing law for the Commonwealth's roads." more...
Michiana Trail Now on Google Street View
IN - "...Hundreds of miles of trails are covered across Indiana, says Lisa Nye, director of the Indiana Parks and Recreation Association, which coordinated the photo-mapping blitz that spring." more...
Citizen Patrols on Northdale Lake Park Trail after 2 Attacks
Lutz, FL - "Since Feb. 24, people who live in Northdale have been on edge. A woman was attacked in broad daylight while walking along the Northdale Lake Park Trail." more...
Lake Natoma Bike Trail Still Closed After 2017 Rockslide
CA - "A popular bike and walkway on a stretch of the American River Parkway Recreation Trail is still shut down more than a year after a rockslide blocked it." more...
Paris Offers Incentives to Ditch Cars
FRA - "The city will reimburse residents who buy e-bikes and cargo bikes for up to €600." more...
Why Vision Zero is a Failure
"...the authorities talk about the 3 E’s, Engineering, Education and Enforcement, but always manage to ignore the first, because true vision zero slows cars down and inconveniences drivers..." more...
- NE: Trails scheduled to expand, connect
- MN: Council takes steps toward 2 new bike projects
- PA: Donations sought for pop-up used bike shop
- ID: Portneuf Greenway expansion set to undergo construction
- OR: Portland sets 'Better Naito' debut for May
- AL: Birmingham to modernize, improve transportation network with complete streets
Greenway Construction Brings Street Closures
Cincinnati, OH - "Construction on the Lick Run Greenway has been going on for eight months." more...
Hocking Valley Scenic Trail Plan
Athens, OH - "...Last month, the Hocking Valley Scenic Trail (HVST) Committee held a public meeting in Logan to present its plans to create a new rail trail that will connect to and extend the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway (HAB) from Nelsonville to Logan. Once complete, the project will add 11.6 miles of paved multi-purpose trail..." more
The Olentangy Gap
Columbus, OH - "...In January, Clintonville Area Commission members voted 8-0 to send a letter to OhioHealth and city officials, urging that an extension of the Olentangy Trail to close the gap..." more
Hartville Supports Bike Route
Hartville, OH - "Hartville Village Council approved a resolution declaring support for a proposed state bicycle route." more...
Philly Slow on Building Bike Lanes
Philadelphia, PA - "...One reason for the slow progress is a special rule, enacted in 2012 as part of the city’s complete streets policy, that gives each City Council member veto power over bike lanes..." more
Bike Share Litter Treacherous for the Blind
Dallas, TX - "...The problem arose when I actually fell over one of these things. I really screwed up my knee, partially tore my ACL..." more
Wichita Builds on Bike-Friendly Status
Wichita, KS - "...In the past year, the city installed approximately six miles of new bikeways bringing the total within the city to 115 miles of bikeways..." more
New Bicycle Route Navigator App
"... the bicycle touring community is buzzing after the release of Bicycle Route Navigator, Adventure Cycling’s new mobile app, available for iPhone and Android, and ready to help you pilot your journey along the 46,846-mile Adventure Cycling Route Network..." more
Better Biking Conditions Can Help Bike Shops
"...Until recently, there wasn’t an easy way to show a direct relationship between good biking conditions and strong independent bike shop (IBD) sales. The launch of PlacesForBikes’ Bicycle Network Analysis (BNA) changes all that..." more
- FL: Leon County's recreational opportunities are expanding
- CA: Sausalito bike safety project included in county plan
- WI: DNR approves bridge building proposal in Manitowish Waters
- D.C.: D.C. wins gold in bike-friendliness
- NC: City council approves greenway connector
- AL: Trail could link Decatur, Athens, Huntsville
- NC: Charlotte a ‘City of Bikes?'
- SC: Where the sidewalk is… or isn’t
OU Students Could Soon Borrow Bikes
Athens, OH - "Ohio University students will soon be able to participate in a bike-sharing program on campus." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Residents Speak Out Against Trail Route
Bellefonte, PA - "Some Bellefonte residents are not happy about the proposed route for the future Bellefonte to Milesburg greenway trail." more...
Wisconsin Bike-Friendly Ranking Plummets
WI - "...It doesn’t help that Wisconsin redirects half of our federal funding for bike and pedestrian projects to highways, the maximum allowed under federal rules, or that we became the first (and so far the only) state to repeal a Complete Streets law." more...
Facebook-Shaming to Clear Sidewalks
NY - "Erich Krueger is tired of trudging through snow-clogged sidewalks, and he's taking his campaign against the property owners online." more...
Fatality Rates Remain High for U.S. Pedestrians
"America isn’t making progress on pedestrian safety, with people on foot accounting for a steadily rising share of overall traffic fatalities." more...
- NZL: Taranaki park to get $5.9m boost, new bike trail
- TN: Group works to expand WSSC mountain biking trail
- IL: $28K Grant for Trail Ambassadors From Better Bike Share Partnership
- NY: River Road trail moves forward in Wheatfield
- UK: Death by dangerous cycling offence to be announced by government this week
$21.2M Initiative for Grand River Trail Network
MI - "...The Grand River Greenway, first envisioned three decades ago, has the potential to become a significant lure..." more
Groundbreaking Ceremony for Next Border-to-Border Trail Segment
MI - "On Saturday, Feb. 24 just outside of Chelsea’s city limits, a groundbreaking ceremony signaled the beginning of the next Border-to-Border trail segment that will travel through Washtenaw County." more...
Residents Want Trails
NY - "...the passive pursuits offered by trails and pathways are increasingly becoming a municipal priority..." more
What is a STROAD?
- IRE: Ministers at odds on future of Western Rail Corridor
- TN: Tannery Knobs bike park near the finish line
Boyertown Eyes Walking/Biking Trail
PA - "As part of ongoing plans to attract tourists, Boyertown is hoping to provide a walking, biking and running trail called Hidden Valley Trail in the Boyertown area..." more
Bike-Ped Advisory Committee Replaces Greenways Commission
Bowling Green, KY - "The Greenways Commission of Bowling Green and Warren County is no more, but its work establishing walking and bicycling trails will live on under a new advisory role..." more
E-Bike Debate Coming to Aspen Trails
Aspen, CO - "Multiple jurisdictions in the Roaring Fork Valley are going to determine this spring if they can get on the same path regarding use of electric bikes on paved trails." more...
Dockless Bikes Increase Access & Chaos
Dallas, TX - "...Joel Miller, bike share program manager for the Seattle Department of Transportation, said preliminary data shows the number of miles ridden on dockless bikes "far exceed" what they had with their dock-based system..." more
- SC: New mountain bike park could be good for economy of Florence
- WI: Janesville working on plan to become more bike friendly
Connecting Cleveland-Area Greenways
Cleveland, OH - "...If fully implemented, the Cuyahoga Greenway will eventually include hundreds of miles of linear parks with biking and walking trails as well as on-road bike lanes..." more
County Approves Payment for Greenway
Wellsboro, PA - "...This phase of the project does not include construction of the trail connecting the Pine Creek Rail Trail northern terminus at the Wellsboro Junction to Wellsboro..." more
Fund will Help IMBA Create 100 New MTB Trails in 2018
"Partnering with the Walton Family Foundation, IMBA says it is poised to launch its largest trail fund ever." more...
Suspected Serial Killer Taken Into Custody
Kansas City, MO - "A man already charged with killing three people in the Kansas City area was indicted Friday in the deaths of three more men, all of whom were shot in apparently unprovoked attacks along or near hiking trails..." more
Police Brutalize Jaywalker
NC - "...Police body camera video obtained by the Citizen Times on Wednesday shows Officer Chris Hickman beating Johnnie Jermaine Rush with punches to the head while Rush was being restrained..." more
The Design Bible That Changed How Americans Bike in Cities
"A movement has brought safer bicycle lanes to the United States. But it took a manual to spread them." more
How American Transportation Engineers Resisted Bike Lanes
"...Davis, California, began to build protected bike lanes in the early 70s, drawing significant interest from other cities. But instead of embracing these street design concepts, American transportation engineers shunned them for a generation." more
5 Things Preventing Justice for Cyclists
"Many riders have been hit and killed by distracted drivers. Italian professional Michele Scarponi was one of the most famous victims in recent years." more
Following Backlash, Strava Makes Changes
"After reports that its Global Heatmap accidentally revealed military bases around the world, the fitness app quietly changed its privacy settings." more
- NJ: Greenway gets support from Essex County
- GA: Brookhaven receives $2.7M for Peachtree Creek Greenway
- NY: Phase 1 of Route 434 Greenway almost complete
- CA: Illegal Mountain Bike Trail Found in Escondido Creek Conservancy
- TX: Harris County plans bike trail in Atascocita
- IL: Western Springs residents speak out against Wolf Road bike path
- CO: Rocky Mountain National Park will open 2-mile stretch of trail to mt bikes
- NE: 350-foot bridge will connect trails, span rails
- WA: Man sues Seattle church after falling off bike in parking lot
- WA: Bainbridge Sound to Olympics Trail segment
- TN: BMX course, park projects shaping South Knoxville
Towpath Flooding Reports
Clinton, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "Towpath Trail is closed north and south of the Clinton Trailhead due to flooding."
Canal Fulton, OH - From starkparks.com, "High water has closed the Towpath Trail at Lock 4 Trailhead. Other low areas might also be under water soon..."
Connector Trail Closing During Construction Hours
Northfield, OH - The Old Carriage Trail Connector in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be undergoing construction that is set to begin soon. This connector, along with a portion of Holzhauer Rd, connects the Towpath Trail with the Akron Hike-Bike Trail in Sagamore Hills. (See map below.)
The Old Carriage Connector Trail will be closed during construction hours, 7 am -- 6 pm, Monday through Friday. It will be open after hours and on weekends. Learn more...
Franklinton Loop Trail Planned
Columbus, OH - "The City of Columbus is moving forward with plans for an off-street trail that would run north from the Mount Carmel campus in Franklinton to the Scioto River..." more
Upgrades Coming to Olentangy Trail
1 Coyote Killed, 2nd at Large After Attacks
NY - "...an unsettling 24-hour series of attacks that included a dog killed, a police officer and a postal worker bitten and a cyclist attacked." more...
Santa Ana River Trail Homeless Camps Removed
CA - "The last of more than 700 homeless people living in the tent encampments at the Santa Ana River Trail left on Monday — 697 of them gone to motels." more...
A Look at Trail Funding & Advocacy
"[...here are] a few highlights from 2017—and a peek at what’s to come as we keep our eye on 2018 and beyond." more...
- NC: Donations spark purchase of trail bikes
- FL: Bonita Springs proposes new biking and walking trail system
- FL: Traffic solution plans include smart signals, bike lanes
- AR: Counties get funds for trail connecting Little Rock, Hot Springs
- OR: Portland State wins $75K grant to study bike share equity programs
- MA: Man caught on camera destroying Worcester rental bike
Columbus Trail Flooding
Columbus, OH - From Columbus MetroParks, "Trail Alert: Trails are flooding again due to rain. Please use caution.
"The Blacklick [Trail] is closed under Winchester Pike."
Man Struck, Killed by Driver
Chauncey, OH - "...The patrol said Summer J. Bess, 37, of Glouster, was driving north on Route 13 when her car went off the right side of the roadway and struck Cullums, who was pushing a bicycle northward on the unpaved berm." more...
Latest on Bike Route Through Struthers
Struthers, OH - "...Mayor Terry Stocker said that Struthers had little input in determining the path the bike route would take, and recommended the resolution be sent back to committee until the city could make route recommendations to ODOT." more...
For more news, visit the 2018 Archive.