Regional, U.S. & International News
Extension Planned for University Parks Trail
Street Calming, Bike Lane Investment at Risk
Cincinnati, OH - "Among Mayor John Cranley's proposed budget cuts for the next fiscal year, some improvements to the city's streets could be on the chopping block." more...
'Bike Montco' Envisions 800 Miles of Bike Path
Montgomery County, PA - "Officials in Montgomery County on Wednesday unveiled the early drafts of a plan that would bring nearly 800 miles of bike paths to the area’s suburban landscape." more...
City to Widen Inter Urban Bike Trail
Wyoming, MI - "A new license agreement with Consumers Energy will allow the city to move forward with planned improvements to the Inter Urban non-motorized bike trail that runs from 32nd Street to 50th Street." more...
Connecticut is 10th state to Enact E-Bike Law
CT - "...The Connecticut law varies slightly from the other states because it prevents local municipalities from allowing Class 3 e-bikes on bike paths..." more
Require AVs to 'See' Bicyclists & Pedestrians
"The Senate is hoping to pass Senate Bill 1885: The AV START Act this Summer! The bill will increase tenfold the number of automated vehicles being tested on our streets without requiring those vehicles to pass a federal safety standard proving they can "see" bicyclists and pedestrians." more...
The Benefits of Real-Time Transit Data
"A Sidewalk Talk Q&A with researcher Candace Brakewood on all the ways it improves our lives — and its role in a potential car-free urban future." more...
- OR: Portland hopes 'smart' sensors will help transportation officials make safer streets
- KS: Think Topeka has a parking problem? Take a hike
- FL: Backlash over Curry Ford Road bike lane experiment
- OR: Greeley bike path project delayed again
- CA: LAPD tests Bulls e-bike patrols as part of its green initiative
- MN: Proposed bike trail would connect Wisconsin to Winona
- MN: Lake Wobegon Trail to hold ceremony to celebrate completion of trail extension
- UK: Project to improve the Greenway from Rushden Lakes to Rushden town centre
Cyclist Hit in Italian Village
Columbus, OH - "A neighbor was hit by a car while riding a bike in the bike lane at Summit and 4th Avenue on Friday evening around 11:30 p.m..." more
Park Board to Vote on Nature Preserve Acquisition
Conservancy Group Eyeing Property Near B&O Trail
Mansfield, OH - "The Western Reserve Land Conservancy is looking to create a nearly 300-acre land conservancy in the area where Springfield, Troy, Washington and Madison townships meet..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Groundbreaking for Warrior Trail
Vigo County, IN - "...It’s designed to be a multi-use trail with off-road wheelchairs in mind..." more
U.S. Proposes 25% Tariff on China-Made E-Bikes
D.C. - "The industry is scrambling after the Trump administration includes e-bikes on its list of proposed tariffs." more...
How Traffic Signals Favor the Car
"Traffic signals are a source of great inequality in the urban realm, giving priority to motor vehicles over pedestrians..." more
- LA: Proposed bike share program on Northshore worries businesses
- MA: Ware selectmen appeal road redesign
- NC: Here come the scooters
- FL: Largo residents fed up with dangerous jaywalking
- OR: Time to make southeast Portland’s infrastructure gaps 'SEAMless'
- CO: St. Vrain Greenway stretch reopens through Sandstone Ranch in Longmont
- VA: Roanoke River Greenway, Huckleberry Trail subject of merge discussion
- NC: New ped bridge to link Three Rivers Greenway to Saluda River island
- MN: Truman reviews bike trail concept
- CO: BLM approves Palisade Plunge bike trail
- NE: 5 indecent exposures reported, 3 of them on Lincoln bike trails
The Baileys Trail System
Athens, OH - "...The Forest Service is working with the National Forest Foundation and Quantified Ventures to explore how an innovative finance mechanism can support an 88-mile multiuse trail on 9,000 acres of national forest land in Athens County." more...
Big Changes on the Bridge
Cleveland, OH - "The eastbound bike lane on Detroit-Superior bridge has gone through another stage of work, and is now complete all the way to the end..." more
Central Ohio Greenways
Columbus, OH - "The Central Ohio Greenways are perhaps the most-used walking and biking trails in Central Ohio, with the popular Olentangy Trail being the busiest multipurpose trail in Ohio..." more...
Coach Killed by Driver
Bowling Green, KY - "The head coach for Western Kentucky University’s men’s golf team was killed while riding his bike Sunday morning." more...
River Valley Trail Completion set Back a Year
IN - "It will be at least another year before the final gap in a popular trail is filled in, allowing walkers and bicyclists an uninterrupted path from Niles to Mishawaka." more...
Fortville Nabs $9M for Main Street Facelift, Trail
IN - "...About $6 million will be used to build a 2-mile pedestrian and bike trail from downtown to the Mount Vernon schools complex..." more...
Will Bikes Be Must-Haves in the City?
"Cities around the world are turning to the bicycle to help solve congestion and pollution issues, as urbanisation increasingly puts pressure on traditional infrastructure." more...
The E-Bike That Generates Cryptocurrency as You Ride
"Specialist electric bike retailer and distributor 50 Cycles will mark 15 years in business with the launch of an electric bike label, dubbed Toba, that generates cryptocurrency for its customers as they ride." more...
- GA: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in the City of Atlanta
- NYC: Brad Lander Bill Would Empower City to Rein In Repeat Traffic Camera Violators
- WA: Pedestrian and bicyclist deaths double statewide in recent years
- MA: Suspected drunken driver flees Revere hit-and-run with bicycle under car
- CAN: Seaforth first ever for Huron County to welcome bike paths in urban centre
- TN: Bikers vs. hikers
- CO: Trail to connect Grand Junction, Fruita to Kokopelli trailhead
- VA: Support for connection of Huckleberry to Roanoke greenway
- CAN: Construction on Sackville Greenway continues
Rail Line Abandonment Fuels Speculation
Trumbull County, OH - "...Zach Svette, MetroParks projects manager, said the MetroParks had started engineering to create an alternate route for the bike and hike trail. It had appeared the CSX route was not available. But with the requested abandonment, that route is back on the table." more...
North Country Trail May Extend into Vermont
Montpelier, VT - "A hiking trail that would run from North Dakota to Maine is one step closer to getting the necessary funding." more...
Over the Underpass
"Highways have divided and afflicted city neighborhoods for decades..." more
- IL: Brackett dies at 76 after bike fall
- AL: Bike trail underway at Chewacla
- IA: T-Bone Trail expanding
- NY: First phase of Kingston Point Rail Trail set to go to bid
- TN: Highway Department to soon seek bids on Blount County Greenway Trail
- MT: Trail along Silver Bow Creek struggles toward completion
Boy on Bike Struck by Car
Cleveland, OH - "...The boy was believed to have been riding his bike across the intersection when he was struck." more...
Mother Recovering After Being Struck by Cyclist
Seattle, WA - "A mother is recovering after a bicyclist slammed into her while she was walking with her newborn on the Burke-Gilman Trail." more...
Neighbors “Daylight” Sidewalks, Show City How It’s Done
Seattle, WA - "...Making a key neighborhood street safer for all." more
Bike Share Can Save Our Cities
"The problem isn’t dockless bikes. It's dockless cars." more...
- NY: New City Riverwalk Trail To Feature A Variety Of Nature
- MA: Proposed bike crossing draws critics in Brewster
- CO: Ebike rental business on a ROLL in Durango
- NY: Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail construction to continue
- NC: Greenway expansion costs raise questions
- WA: Construction to begin soon on new Bainbridge Sound to Olympics Trail segment
Woman Assaulted on Berlin Hike & Bike Trail
Deerfield, OH - "Authorities are looking for the man responsible for assaulting a female bicyclist while she was riding along the Berlin Hike and Bike Trail on Thursday evening." more...
Oakfield Trailhead Improvements
Bristol, OH - "...The trailhead, which is part of the Trumbull County Metro Parks District, will include the repaving of the existing parking lot and access drive on Hyde-Oakfield Road." more...
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
OH - Read the latest edition.
Trail Advocates Recognized for Their Work
Fort Wayne, IN - "Fort Wayne-area trails advocates or organizations were recognized Thursday by the Greenways Foundation for their contributions to trails in Indiana..." more
Call to Extend Penn Avenue Bike Lane
Pittsburgh, PA - "...After a pleasant mile-long ride on Penn Avenue’s protected bike lane, the lane abruptly ends at 16th Street in the Strip. From there, the protected bike area disappears..." more
Class 2 E-Bikes May be Banned
CO - "...In the eyes of the board majority, class two e-bikes are too much like motorized vehicles." more...
The Rise of U.S. Bike Networks
"...A world class bike path in the heart of the city, built over the water to bypass a tangled mess of highways and train tracks that had historically cut off the city from its river." more...
Crackdown on Illegal Trails Causes Anger
AUS - "...The department destroyed at least 8km of tracks in Gooseberry Hill this week with earth-moving equipment, ripping through native vegetation and dragging debris through the area." more...
- NY: Land Trust and Ithaca resident receive national awards for trail work
- CA: Property owner shares concerns about greenway trails project
- UK: Cycling, walking and horse-riding routes radiating out of Cambridge endorsed
- SCT: Scotland is subsidizing electric bikes
Zanesville Trail Construction Moving Forward
Zanesville, OH - "A new multi-purpose trail to connect Zanesville High School and the surrounding area to the Collegial Trail on the campus of Ohio University Zanesville is moving forward..." more...
The Future of Bikes on Public Square?
Cleveland, OH - "At some point this week during the preparation for the reopening of Public Square – the bicycle markings within the shared lanes disappeared – deeply scrubbed from existence. The signage vanished from the roadsides as well." more...
Bicyclist Killed in Hit-and-Run
Lancaster, OH - "...Police are looking for a green Honda, possibly a Civic..." more
Metroparks Release Sketch of Attack Suspect
Garfield, Heights, OH - "The Cleveland Metroparks Rangers Department released a sketch on Thursday of the man it says attacked a female jogger." more...
New Bike Lanes Create Confusion
Pottstown, PA - "...Borough officials said the new bike lanes should keep bikers and pedestrians safe, but residents said the new lanes have changed traffic patterns..." more
Firefighters Rescue Girl Trapped in Bike
Spokane Valley, WA - "...Spokane Engine 8 responded to a call when 4-year-old Olivia got her foot stuck between the frame and crank of her bicycle..." more
- OR: ODOT cites high speeds in rejection of lower speed limit request
- WA: Biking on 2nd Ave downtown is up 37% as bike share and bike lanes expand
- CAN: Toronto's carnage in the streets called a "state of emergency"
- NE: Trail construction would force city to cut down 30 trees
- VT: Killington-to-Rutland bike trail envisioned
- IL: Retired reporter in serious bike accident
- MO: Greenway to be featured in St. Mary's project
Street Closure Will Bring Protected Bike Lane
Cleveland, OH - "...This work brings the construction project on Superior to a close, and will allow the protected lane to be installed on the bridge eastbound, the bike lanes to be painted on Superior between 6th and 9th, as well as getting the long awaited Two Stage Bike Turning Boxes and Bike Signal implemented." more...
Driver Who "Couldn't See" Strikes, Kills Bicyclist
New Philadelphia, OH - "...in fact, it appears that he never saw ANYTHING for ” FIVE TO SIX SECONDS” prior to the crash… he was just driving along on Hopes & Prayers I guess…" more
Blue Ash Gets Bike Share
Blue Ash, OH - "...The Cincinnati suburb of Blue Ash announced it has partnered with Cambridge, Massachusets-based Zagster, Inc. to launch the 50-bike bike share program -- making it the first Greater Cincinnati suburb to host such a program." more...
Downtown Cincy Traffic Signal Survey
Cincinnati, OH - Take the survey.
Pumpkinvine Trail Boosts Community, Economy
Goshen, IN - "...The nonprofit Friends of the Pumpkinvine Nature Trail created the trail to connect communities and increase safety, said Brittany Short, the nonprofit vice president." more...
Women Shun Cycling Because of Lack of Safety
"Roads designed by men are killing women – and stop millions from cycling." more...
How to Use On-Bike Video Footage
"More cyclists are riding with forward-and-rear-facing cameras. But what do you do when authorities won't review the footage?" more...
- ME: Police to target drivers who put cyclists, Pedestrians at risk
- WI: Suspect in custody for bike trail sexual assaults
- WA: Elliott Bay Trail reroute
- TX: Houston MP opens 4-mile greenway
Portion of Ohio River Trail to Close
Marietta, OH - "Part of the Ohio River Trail Bike Path in Marietta will be closed until July 2 for construction at the Marietta Wastewater Treatment Plant." more...
Warren Considering Complete Streets
Warren, OH - "Could re-working streets and Warren's transportation system make living in the city safer?" more...
Landslides Block Sections of Great Allegheny Passage
PA - "Sunday’s storms created landslides along the Great Allegheny Passage bicycle trail in Elizabeth Township, McKeesport and Fayette County." more...
Proposed New Delaware Avenue Bike Trail
Philadelphia, PA - "...The proposal would effectively replace the bike lane along the east side of Delaware Avenue with a two-way cycle track..." more
Deadly Crash a Microcosm of Everything Wrong with Roads
CAN - "A woman died at the hands of a driver going too fast on a road too wide in a truck too big in a city too enthralled by auto-centrism." more...
- OR: Portland to accept $2M in state funds for greenway
- CO: $8,000 bike stolen from Ride the Rockies corral
- PRK: Bike Diplomacy in South Korea
- TN: Electric bikes could inspire Knoxville greenway changes
- AR: Bentonville Takes On Graffiti in Razorback Greenway Tunnels
- NJ: Morris Canal Greenway New App and Way Finder Signs, Dedication Ceremony
- IRE: Man assaulted with hammers and bats on greenway
- TX: Mountain lion safety: What you should know
- MA: Rail Trail through Lynn is in the works
- IA: Plans to launch 'dockless' bike share in Coralville
- GA: Paulding bicycle rentals for trail users
- CAN: City of Nanaimo to press ahead with path
Jogger Attacked at Garfield Park Reservation
Cleveland, OH - "...During the victim's jog at 6:45 a.m., a man approached her on an exercise trail, grabbed her by the throat, and instructed her not to say anything or he would kill her." more...
100 Bikes Go to Kids
Cincinnati, OH - "...AFTA-Cincinnati (Armed Forces Tickets Association of Cincinnati) and the Cincinnati Bengals are teaming up to give away about 100 bicycles to area children of active-duty military service members." more...
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Kalamazoo Crash Driver Sentenced
MI - "...a judge sentenced Pickett, 52, to more than 40 years in prison..." more
Philly Opens 2 Trail Projects
PA - "The city celebrated the opening of two portions of their Circuit Trails last week, which—when finished—will bring 800 miles of walking, biking, and running trails to the greater Philly area." more...
Logansport Enacts Bike & Ped Master Plan
IN - "...The Bicycle & Pedestrian Master Plan that the Logansport Plan Commission passed June 11 resulted from the creation of the city's Complete Streets Committee in 2014." more...
Philly Turns on 1st Bike Traffic Lights
PA - "The future is officially here, two of the Philadelphia’s busiest intersections are now equipped with city’s first-ever bicycle traffic lights." more...
Man Convicted of Selling Counterfeit Bike Helmets
Louisville, KY - "Stepp was charged with selling Specialized, Giro and Catlike helmets he had purchased on Ali Express." more...
Bike Lane Removal Questioned
St. Louis, MO - "...It was really upsetting that one of our only safe route north and south was taken away..." more
Cyclist Fined $381 for Reflectors Violation
CAN - "An update to Quebec’s Highway Safety Code has seen increased fines for cyclists who break the rules..." more
The Most Hostile Infrastructure
"...Car-centric infrastructure physically prevents people from using other modes." more
- AZ: Phoenix facing hurdles in adopting 'Complete Streets' guidelines
- UK: London Cycling Campaign to promote "cycling etiquette"
- TX: The largest bicycle pump track in the nation
- UK: Lorries and potholes put people off cycling, survey suggests
- AL: Community concerned after double murder in Cook Springs
- IRE: Greenway bye-laws to be introduced
- WI: New bike trail a thing of beauty
- MN: East Long Lake Road to become bike trail
- SD: Design to finish bicycle trail around lake unveiled
- CT: New Milford Town Council considers $18.5 million river trail
- WI: Offensive graffiti on bike trail
Bicyclist Shot with Paintball
Dayton, OH - "...Police say the man was riding his bike when the paintball came from a passing car..." more
Columbus Still Behind in Bike-Friendly Infrastructure
Columbus, OH - "...for everything Columbus has to offer, Indy still has the edge in one regard — it is way easier to get around downtown Indianapolis on a bike than it is here in Columbus." more...
Metro Parks Plan to Seek More Funding
Columbus, OH - "Metro Parks plans to put a 10-year, 0.95-mill levy on the Nov. 6 ballot that would raise $6 million more a year than its current, expiring levy to pay for and maintain new and existing park land." more...
City Plans Bike/Walk Lanes
Traverse City, MI - "...Lancewicz said she’s excited to hear Traverse City officials are planning to add two 5-foot-wide lanes to either side of the road for biking and walking." more...
Work Continues on 500-Mile Trail Plan
Milwaukee, WI - "...The Route of the Badger project has been in the works for a few years, Wisconsin Public Radio reported . It would connect existing trails and add more trail miles in seven counties." more...
Copenhagenize Your City
"The case for urban cycling in 12 graphs." more
- OR: Here’s what one of our deadliest streets will look like by the end of next year
- NC: Rail trail continues to move forward
- CA: Trail extension would lead cyclists, hikers past winery to Napa River
Community Happy With Trails
Fort Wayne, IN - "With more than 100 miles of paved bike paths, the trail system that runs through Fort Wayne and surrounding areas has turned into a recreational bonus for residents and visitors." more...
- AL: Double homicide investigation underway in St. Clair Co.
- TX: New bridge in McAllen makes hike-and-bike trail more accessible
- CO: Powderhorn Trades Snow for Dirt
- MN: Jackson earns bicycling-friendly distinction
- IRE: Minister rules out reopening of Western Rail Corridor to trains
Lake to Lakes Trail Detour
Cleveland, OH - "Heavy spring rains damaged a small portion of the Lake to Lakes Trail that require an on-road detour until work is completed. While we don’t have a solid timeline for completion, progress does seem to be underway." more...
Simon Kenton Trail Paving Starting Soon
Bellefontaine, OH - From facebook.com/SimonKentonPathfinders, "Our June paving project on the Northern extension of the SKT will be taking place within the next couple of weeks, weather permitting. During that time, the trail will be closed for a day or so.
"The section to be paved will be from Carter Avenue in Bellefontaine, South to CR 200..."
Trail Link Work to Begin Monday
Mt. Vernon, OH - "Work should begin Monday morning on the short bicycle trail segment from the old railroad trestle, behind Creno's and to the small bridge over Dry Creek..." more
City Moving Forward on Connector Trail
Youngstown, OH - "City officials expect to select an engineering firm next week for a proposed hiking and biking trail connecting Mill Creek MetroParks with downtown Youngstown..." more
Boston's New Connect Historic Boston Bike Trail
Dispute Over Rocky Flats Continues
Denver, CO - "...Part of the site is now a wildlife refuge, and the government plans to open hiking trails and visitor facilities there this year." more...
Interbike Podcast Looks at Booming Gravel Market
CA - "On the heels of the Dirty Kanza, which took place last weekend, Interbike – The Podcast talks to the Emporia event’s organizers including Jim Cummins and LeLan Dains about how the sold-out event went off this year..." more
- WI: 320-mile Rock River Bike Trail to stop in Watertown
- CA: Costa Mesa council adopts new transportation plan to promote walking and biking
- AK: Police look at clearing up 'grids' of illegal camps in parks, along trails
- MA: Little River Trail system dedication on Saturday
- TN: Linear Trail tunnel project ahead of schedule
- CAN: Mission Greenway Trail reopens in Kelowna
- AL: Riverfront Greenway Trail Expected to Open this Summer
- OR: Willamette Greenway Trail Reopens With Improved Path
- NC: Charlotte's plan to close a frustrating trail gap
- GA: Investors aren’t giddy about dropping big bucks for Buckhead park
LimeBike Rolls out in Columbus
Columbus, OH - "Lime, a dockless bike-sharing service backed by Silicon Valley venture capital, has placed 750 bright-green bikes for rent in Central Ohio." more...
Black Bear Disrupts Bike Lane Use
Reno, NV - "...The animal spent more than a quarter of an hour near a bike trail waiting for her cub to come down a tree." more...
10K Bike Share Bikes in Seattle
WA - "...The study found that the 10,000 bikes from Spin, LimeBike, and Ofo were ridden 468,000 times from July 2017 to the end of the year." more...
Update on Dallas Bike Share Mess
TX - "...there are fewer of those lite-brite buck-an-hour bikes littering Dallas' sidewalks today than there were a few months ago..." more
Why Don't E-Bikes get the Same Support as E-Cars?
"...So why is so much money, energy and attention focused on one mode of transport, the electric car?" more
- GA: Fatal wrecks involving pedestrians up 16%
- AL: Montgomery green lights bike-share companies
- SGP: Singapore to require geofencing for bike-share operators
- OR: The SW Corridor project DEIS is out
- WA: Expedia Group Announces Plan to Improve Elliott Bay Trail
- WA: Repaving Projects Offer Means to Complete Seattle Bike Network
- OR: Stolen racing bike returned to owner
- D.C.: Transportation Legislation in Washington
- FL: Man shot at greenway trailhead
- CO: Hiring private security to patrol downtown area, parks & greenway
- NC: Charlotte's parks are consistently ranked worst in the country
- MA: Northampton celebrates completion of rail trail underpass
- UK: Pontypool mountain biker killed on own race track
How Bike Lanes Benefit Businesses
"Kenmore Boulevard in Akron, Ohio is in the process of a street redesign which may involve the loss of some on-street parking spots in order to create protected bike lanes..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Don't Park in Bike Lanes
Pittsburgh, PA - "On May 30, the Twitter account for the Pittsburgh Parking Authority issued a warning to drivers: if you park in a bike lane, you will get a ticket..." more
York Earns Bike Friendly Community Award
York, PA - "York, Pennsylvania, was recognized as a Silver Bicycle Friendly Community last week. Craig Walt with the York City Bureau of Public Health talks about how the city achieved its bicycle friendly status." more
Growing Bike Culture in Wheeling
WV - "...The City of Wheeling is all about revitalization and bringing the community together. Bike Wheeling has been all about that, as they incorporate bike riding and community into each event." more
Cyclists Demand Safety Upgrade
NYC - "Cycling advocates gathered on a busy street in Queens on Wednesday night to form a human barrier along a bike lane where a bicyclist died last year." more
PBOT Rolls Out Plans for Bike Lanes
Portland, OR - "PBOT is rolling out a proposal today that will replace parking spaces or lanes for cars with bike paths protected from traffic." more...
Trek Settles Lawsuit with Farley Family
Madison, WI - "Trek Bicycle Corporation and Make Him Smile, Inc. have agreed to settle their lawsuit over Trek's use of the name Farley for one of its fat bike models." more...
- WA: City Council Gears Up to Pass New Bikeshare Legislation
- AL: Tuscaloosa residents complain about dangerous sidewalk conditions
- WI: City leaders are working to make Milwaukee a more bicycle-friendly community
- OR: City releases $8M list of Safe Routes to School projects
- WA: Seattle supports bike share
- UK: Electric bike catches fire at TT paddock
- CO: Rescuers carry 120-pound dog down mountain
- CA: Sea lion gives birth to new pup on California bike trail
- CA: Connecting Tahoe’s bike trails
- IL: Alton-Godfrey Rotary Club hopes to connect local bike trails
- CAN: Upgrades to Chief Peguis Greenway
- AUS: Draft masterplan released for Sydney's newest green corridor
Popular Trail Remains Covered in Grafitti
Dayton, OH - "The trail near the Woodman Bridge is a popular place for people to bike and jog during the summer, but many residents feel the graffiti takes away from what otherwise is a nice place to enjoy the outdoors." more...
Help Shape the Future of Bike Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "Since our beginning just 6 short years ago, Bike Cleveland’s base of supporters, volunteers, members, and partners has grown as Cleveland’s cycling realities have improved. During this period, we have made significant progress towards our goals developed during our organization’s original formation. This success and growth provides an opportunity to examine the future of the organization, specifically considering some of the following “growth questions” that will shape our work..." more
Students Envision 652-Mile Trail
Knoxville, TN - "A group of students and professors from the University of Tennessee are working to make the Tennessee River more accessible." more...
Effort to Remove Utility Poles from Sidewalks
Tampa, FL - "...For more than a year, residents have called for bike lanes and sidewalks free of utility poles." more...
Americans Want Better Transportation Infrastructure
"Last week, Monmouth University released some new polling on Americans’ attitudes towards transportation infrastructure, and who’s responsible for fixing our roads and bridges..." more
- VA: Neighbors split over plan to reduce car lanes, add bike lanes in Ocean View
- FRA: France’s contentious speed-limit reduction
- VT: Trail system receives national recognition
- MO: Cliff Drive connector trail open to the public
- NC: Grants will help purchase land for Thread Trail
- CO: Pilot Program Will Designate Some Foothills Trails As ‘Bike Only’
- IA: What’s new on the central Iowa biking scene
- FL: Last east-west cycling link needs funding
- NY: Rail trail grows in Guilderland
- UK: Hundreds of wildflowers return to Chester Greenway thanks to volunteers
ODNR Seeks Input for Recreation Trail Plan
Columbus, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the Ohio Trails Partnership are requesting feedback to create the state’s next plan for recreational trails of all types throughout Ohio." more...
Hemlock Trail Breaks Ground
Independence, OH - "The city held a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Hemlock Creek Trail on Saturday (June 2), which will connect Independence residents and visitors to the Erie Canal Towpath Trail..." more...
Aurora Seeks to Acquire Old Railroad Bed
Aurora, OH - "...Norfolk Southern late last year filed an application with the Surface Transportation Board to abandon 5.5 miles of the line from just north of Treat Road to Chamberlain Road in Mantua Township." more...
Yay Bikes! Leading Rides in Amherst
Amherst, OH - "...On June 4, Amherst became the third Lorain County community in two years to host Yay Bikes!" more...
Man Steals Bike at Knifepoint
Toledo, OH - "A Toledo man was charged with aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon after he allegedly put a knife to another man’s throat and stole his bike." more...
State Street Dressed Up for Ribbon Cutting
Columbus, IN - "...Among improvements that have been made so far as part of the broader State Street Revitalization Project are two green spaces, new sidewalks, a multi-use trail and other features." more...
$11.75M Settlement in Deputy Kills Bicyclist Case
Los Angeles, CA - "The family of a man who was struck and killed by a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy who was texting at the time of the collision will receive $11.75 million." more...
Several Pedestrians Struck by Drivers in Charlotte
NC - "Busy roads aren't stopping people from crossing Charlotte streets." more...
Residents Say They Were Duped by Mayor on Bike Lane Issue
Seattle, WA - "A coalition of thousands of Seattle business owners and residents slammed Mayor Jenny Durkan’s office for 'duping' them into thinking she’d hear their concerns before moving forward with an expensive, onerous, and unpopular bike lane." more...
Redesign the Streets & Save San Fran
CA - "The scooters have disappeared from San Francisco." more...
- NYC: Citi Bike’s top riders honored for fifth anniversary
- OR: Right-hook injures bike rider at NW Broadway and Hoyt. Again.
- IA: Authorities identify man who died after crashing bicycle
- MD: At least 16 bicycles collide in Montgomery County
- WI:Judge agrees to transfer Farley lawsuit against Trek to Wisconsin court
- CA: Campaign to support Charlie Kelly's mountain bike history archive
- LVA: New 120 km bike trail follows meanders of River Daugava
- CAN: Mountain biker injured by trail sabotage in Toronto’s Don Valley
- TN: Mary Vestal Greenway extension opens in South Knoxville
Kent Adds FixIt Station & Water Stop
Kent, OH - "...The Fixit bike repair station is located at the sandstone seating area under the Haymaker Bridge on Franklin Avenue..." more
Merrillville Monitors Vandalism along Trail
IN - "...Lighting in the tunnel under Interstate 65 has been damaged twice..." more
Mecklenburg Falls Short on Greenway Miles Goal
NC - "A decade ago, Mecklenburg County parks officials set an ambitious goal meant to satisfy the county's legions of walkers and bikers: 129 miles of greenway trails to be built by 2018." more...
Most Americans Fear Driverless Cars
"A lot of Americans are fearful of autonomous cars, but 33% are at least somewhat likely to buy one once they are available..." more
Vision Zero Remains a Punchline in Toronto
CAN - "City introduces a "Vision Zero Challenge" hackathon instead of actually implementing Vision Zero strategies." more...
- AR: Mountain biking trail in works at Pea Ridge
- VT: Burlington Bike Path phase 2 mostly complete
- TN: Heavy rainfall takes its toll on trails
Lebanon Bike Park Opens
Lebanon, OH - "...The park is one of a kind for the area and has two pump tracks, jumping hills, a skills area, gravel and wooded trails and even a cross country course..." more
E-Bikes on Michigan Trails
Detroit, MI - "...A new state law says trail managers and oversight boards can either allow electric bikes to glide alongside regular hikers and bikers or they can hold public hearings to vote on the issue." more...
Golden Spoke Ride to Christen Longest Trail
Salt Lake City, UT - "...It’s the dedication of the Golden Spoke Trail, a paved trail system more than 100 miles long connecting Utah from Ogden to Provo." more...
Actor Saves Cyclist from Attack
UK - "British actor Benedict Cumberbatch, who plays the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, confronted several men who allegedly tried to rob a food delivery man in London." more...
- UT: Local volunteers happy to pitch in on Bjoor bike trail
- AZ: Prescott’s become more bike-friendly over the past few years
- UK: People urged to have their say on proposed North Leeds greenway
Easements Approved for LMST Connection
Cincinnati, OH - "Cincinnati Planning Commission approves easement for @great_parks to build a connection over the Little Miami River using the existing Beechmont Ave bridge which will connect Lunken Trail with Loveland Trail..." more
Finishing Central Parkway's Bike Lane
Cincinnati, OH - "The protected bike lane on Central Parkway -- perennially a point of controversy among city leaders -- continued to stir drama at City Hall this week." more...
Nickel Plate Greenway gets Go-Ahead
IN - "...The May 29 decision allows the cities to build the 9-mile, $9 million trail from Noblesville to Fishers..." more
Lakefront Trail Separation Almost Complete
Chicago, IL - "...Construction work to create separate paths for cyclists and pedestrians on the Lakefront Trail — all 18 miles of it — is expected to be completed by the end of the year." more...
Complete Streets Volunteers Resign En Mass
Phoenix, AZ - "Seven members of Phoenix’s Complete Streets Advisory Board resigned in disgust this week, frustrated by the lack of action from city officials to make streets safer for walking and biking." more...
Lyft to Buy Bike-Share Company
"Lyft, the ride-hailing app, has agreed to buy one of the biggest bike-share operators in the US, according to a report on Friday." more...
- CA: ORAC votes in favor of multi-use trail recommendation
- NJ: Essex-Hudson Greenway to align with 9/11 National Memorial Trail
- TN: City of Knoxville proposes adding bike lanes to section of Broadway
- OR: PBOT has sent five companies letter of intent to join dockless e-scooter pilot
- CA: The Importance of Good Data in Achieving Vision Zero
Metroparks Rolls out Mini-Bus on Towpath Trail
Lighting Up the Towpath in Akron
Man Assaulted, Wounded on Bike Trail
Beckley, WV - "...The victim was taken to Raleigh General Hospital and had to be taken into emergency surgery due to the severity of his injuries." more...
Wilson's Creek Greenway Trail gets National Recognition
MO - "The 5-mile Wilson's Creek greenway Trail in southwest Springfield has been designated a National Recreation Trail." more...
Could Electric Bike Pods be the Next Big Thing?
"In the midst of new sharing ventures from dockless bikes to electric scooters, a Canadian startup company plans to enter the sharing fray with a new type of vehicle: the velomobile." more...
Time to Stop Arguing About Helmets
"Every year about this time when the weather gets warm, peoples' thoughts turn to complaining about bike helmets..." more
- MO: Trolley vs. bikes
- OR: PSU looks to improve campus safety following sidewalk crash
- OR: Portland developer opens first privately sponsored Biketown station
- NY: Shoreline Trail project gets underway on former Bethlehem Steel grounds
- IL: Cary parks receives $1.1 million state grant for bike trail
- IL: A 'hole' lot of problems for Morton bike trail
- MD: Berlin Bike Path Effort Moves Forward
- NY: Old Bethlehem rails to become bike/pedestrian trail
- NC: Homeless man's body found in greenway tunnel
- IRE: New Greenway loops in County Limerick
Upcoming Construction for Hemlock Creek Trail
Independence, OH - "...The Hemlock Creek Trail is the latest addition to a growing network of trails that users can travel from Tuscarawas County all the way up to Cleveland’s lakefront..." more
Future Metropark gets Name
Toledo, OH - "...the future Metropark’s opening date hasn’t been determined yet. But she said the park district hopes to have it ready for people to start hiking there sometime this fall." more...
Poor Bikeway Design in NYC
Bicycle Friendly Community Program Reaches 450 Communities
"Today, to close out National Bike Month, the League of American Bicyclists is awarding 41 new and renewing Bicycle Friendly Communities (BFCs). Fourteen communities are receiving Honorable Mentions. With today’s announcement, there are now 450 BFCs in all 50 states and the District of Columbia." more...
Wires Strung Across Cycle Trail... Again
UK - "A cyclist riding with his family fell off his bike and hit his head on a rock after wires were strung across a cycle trail in a country park near the New Forest..." more
- OR: Activism Following Horrific Hit-and-Run
- NC: Parts of Greenway closed due to high waters
- TX: Salado Creek Greenway designated as national recreation trail
- IRE: Connemara Greenway opens
- IL: Decatur Park District unveils Nelson Park mountain bike trail
- TX: Sherman accepts 9 acres for public trail system
- IL: Electric bikes poised to make inroads in the Southland
Slip Closes St. Clairsville Bike Trailactivism following horrific hit-and-run
St. Clairsville, OH - "St. Clairsville’s bicycle trail was closed during the weekend and Memorial Day after Saturday’s heavy rainfall made a bad situation worse and sent mud and debris to block the northern side of the trail." more...
Missing Woman Went for Trail Ride
Hamilton Twp., OH - "Police are looking for a 71-year-old Hamilton Township woman who went missing Tuesday afternoon after going on a bike ride." more...
Knox County Park District News
Knox County, OH - "...The Mohican Valley Trail will soon be resurfaced from the Bridge of Dreams to the Holmes County line.
"...Soon the last section of trail will be cleared from Huffman Road to the Knox/Licking County line on the Heart of Ohio trail. To volunteer for this project contact Lori Totman at email@example.com" more...
Where Do Cyclists Go When Construction Closes Bike Lanes & Trails?
Pittsburgh, PA - "Sometimes Pittsburgh feels like one contiguous construction zone..." more
Bikes/Peds get Drive Thru Access... Kinda
Portland, OR - "...You’ll note that the new code only applies when main doors and entrances are closed..." more
Cyclists Confront Drivers for Parking in Bike Lanes
Nashville, TN - "Cyclists took matters into their own hands on Thursday to spread awareness about cars parking in bike lanes on heavily trafficked streets." more...
Fire Departments Role in Safe Street Design
"If you’ve ever made the case for a traffic calming project in your city, odds are you’ve butted heads with your local fire department." more...
Bicycle Exports Show Mixed Picture of Industry's Growth
Taipei, Taiwan - "Taiwanese bicycle exports for the first four months of the year offer a mixed picture on the state of the industry — while e-bike exports posted healthy growth, exports of conventional bicycles continued to decline." more...
- TX: What Dallas Can Do To Address Pedestrian Deaths
- TN: University of Memphis starts building soaring $33M pedestrian bridge
- AZ: Spin bike share attracts 1,500 users in first month in Flagstaff
- OR: Eugene bike share booming
- CAN: Pedestrian advocates critique Calgary’s traffic-calming approach
- SC: Police bike patrols to be added to keep West Ashley Greenway safe
- GA: Follow Me Trail plagued with another delay on bridge
- TN: How safe are Knoxville's greenways?
- NC: Durham Wants to Turn a Defunct Rail Line Into an Urban Greenway
- CA: New Mission Valley Bike Lane Causing Confusion
Businesses Balk at Towpath Construction
Cleveland, OH - "Several business owners say a long-awaited extension of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cleveland will severely impact their bottom line and lead to dangerous driving conditions on busy Jennings Road." more...
Tri-State Trail Progress
Cincinnati, OH - "It has been a big year for bike trails in Greater Cincinnati, with several major updates to big projects in Hamilton County and Northern Kentucky." more...
Staying Safe on the Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - "I’ve been riding the Olentangy multi-use path a lot lately, and have noticed that way too many of my fellow cyclists do a lot of rude, dumb and downright dangerous things out there..." more
Michigan Debating E-Bike Use
MI - "...While e-bikes are catching on with many aging Americans, some trail buffs and park bosses want to put the brakes on their use on the hundreds of miles of trails that have been traditionally designated as non-motorized." more
Hudson River Greenway Safety Questioned
NYC - "...there’s a danger that the greenway will sort of be barricaded into submission and will be unusable or unacceptably dangerous for everyday users..." more
Road Signs Hacked to Deride Cyclists
NC - "Gene Caffrey was riding his bike along Old US-1 near Moncure during the weekend when something stopped him..." more
Cities Seek to Emulate NYC's Highline
NYC - "...Philadelphia, Chicago, Miami, London and New York's capital of Albany are among the cities with High Line-style projects completed or in the planning stages..." more
E-Biker Clocked at 98 kmh
SWE - "Police in Sweden have stopped a man after clocking him riding an electric bicycle at a speed of just under 100 kilometres an hour (62mph)." more...
- MA: Trash found near bike paths disheartening
- CAN: Whitehorse eyes better bike lanes
- CA: City awarded $15M for bike path
- CAN: First Smithers-Telkwa trail phase presented soon
- SC: Man faces charges after allegedly assaulting two people on West Ashley Greenway
- CA: Drought endangers newly planted trees in Santa Fe
The Abandoned Overpass in Downtown Columbus
Columbus, OH - "... if you walk just north along the bike path by the water tower, the park turns from a peaceful trail with chirping birds to something a little more eerie..." more
2 Killed in Crash Involving Motorcycles, Bike
Indianapolis, IN - "Two people are dead after four motorcycles and a bicycle crashed on the south side of Indianapolis." more...
Body Discovered Near Gary Bike Path
Gary, IN - "The Lake County Sheriff is investigating a gruesome discovery along a bike trail in Gary, Indiana." more...
E-Bike Batteries Appear to Have Started House Fire
Yonkers, NY - "Two people trapped in a burning home in Yonkers were pulled to safety... and it appears an electric bike battery may have sparked the fire." more...
E-MT Bikes are Turning Scoffs into Smiles
"...If some of the most devoted mountain bike traditionalists can be convinced of its benefits, then there needs to be a different discussion about how to embrace the electric mountain biking industry..." more
Cyclist Killed in Troy
Troy, OH - "...According to Miami County dispatch, a person on a bike was hit and killed by a car in front of the O'Reilly's Auto Parts store." more...
Bike Park May be First of its Kind
Lebanon, OH - "...The grand opening for the 45-acre park, built atop a closed landfill, is scheduled for Saturday, June 2." more...
Parklands Silo Center Bike Park Reopens Today
Louisville, Ky - "...The Bike Park is the newest addition to the Parklands. The park debuted in the fall before closing during the winter months." more...
A Vision for Connected Bike Paths
NY - "...Possibly the most unique aspect of the plan would be motorized bicycle ferries that would connect areas of the path separated by water..." more
- CT: Hop River Trail's Railroad Bridge Will Soon Get New Life
- OR: Injured cyclist rescued on trail west of Bend
- NC: Island Greenway Project begins construction on Pleasure Island
Bicycling Teen Struck by Car
Dayton, OH - "The teenager was riding a bike and reportedly collided with the car on Heaton Avenue..." more
Delaware County Offering Trail Grants
Delaware County, OH - "...As part of the county's Trail Assistance Program, a trails committee will review applications and offer communities a portion of $100,000 in grant funds..." more
When Do Peds Have the Right of Way?
Harrisburg, PA - "According to data released by the Harrisburg Bureau of Police, there have been 33 pedestrian accidents in the city since 2016. Four of those were fatal." more...
Officers Issuing $250 Fines to Cyclists During Fleet Week
NYC - "...This rule is implemented every year during Fleet Week to ensure the safety of pedestrians. Signs have been put up instructing cyclists to dismount their bikes for the stretch that is closed." more...
Effort to Connect 2 Popular Iowa Trails
IA - "Two of central Iowa’s most popular bicycle trails are another step closer to being joined into what one backer calls a 'mega-trail.'" more...
What Happened in Tempe?
"The National Transportation Safety Bureau (NTSB), the nation’s preeminent traffic safety agency, released its preliminary finding on the Uber automated vehicle crash in Tempe which killed a pedestrian walking her bicycle. What they found..." more...
The Recreation, Not Red Tape Act
D.C. - "PeopleForBikes led a group of 12 industry leaders to Capitol Hill this week in support of the Recreation Not Red Tape Act. which aims to improve and break down the barriers to recreational riding opportunities on public lands." more...
Scooters Having Interesting Effect in Downtown Atlanta
GA - "...When people ride them in car lanes (as they should - please stay off sidewalks unless they’re very wide ones), I’ve observed that they seem to be causing a disruption to the system..." more...
- NH: Suspected rabid coyote killed after reports of stalking
- FL: Bike path to connect county's major cycling communities
- CAN: Kamloops physiotherapy clinic announces longterm funding for bike trails
- MN: New trail section connects Silver Bay, Beaver Bay
- ESP: Madrid to Reduce Car Traffic in Its City Center
- FL: One day after fatal accident, Tampa moves to lower speed limit on Bayshore Blvd
- NY: Cities pass rules to make roads safer
- OR: Driver injures 3 women in PSU campus hit-skip
Dayton Receives Doppelt Trail Grant
Dayton, OH - "...The city of Dayton was awarded $15,000, for a federal funding match for the acquisition of a former rail corridor to eventually be home to a new trail, The Flight Line." more...
Signs Warn Cyclists, Skaters of New Policy
Athens, OH - "...The 'Walk your Wheels' campaign began in January, and residents already may have noticed the 62 blue “Walk Your Wheels” disks embedded in the sidewalks along Court Street..." more
Mayor Discovers Bike Trail Graffiti
Hammond, IN - "A blown bike tire for the mayor of a northwestern Indiana city ended up leading to the discovery and swift removal of a collection of crude graffiti." more...
L.A. Debating Rules for Scooters & Bike Share
CA - "With electric scooters and short-term bicycle rentals continuing to flood the Westside, Los Angeles city officials have begun to discuss how to regulate the transportation companies to minimize cluttered sidewalks and ensure rider safety." more...
Petitioners Want 'Great Streets' Pilot Project to Remain
Memphis, TN - "...Now that the 12-month pilot phase is wrapping up, the city plans to remove the bike lanes and promenade, while keeping striped pedestrian bump-outs and shared lanes for bikes..." more
How Uber’s Self-Driving System Failed
"...Six seconds before striking Herzberg, the system detected her but didn’t identify her as a person..." more
How Cities are Coping with Scooter/Bike Share Craze
"Profit-motivated mobility startups can’t be trusted to regulate themselves." more...
EC Proposes E-Bike Insurance Law
Europe - "The European Commission has today decided that e-bike riders without motor vehicles third-party liability insurance are riding illegally..." more
- AZ: Phoenix Dithers on Traffic Safety
- FL: West Palm green-lights all-options-open plan for transportation
- LA: Phase two of Shreveport bike lane project is underway
- OR: Bend cyclists say bike lanes have become an obstacle course
- OR: Mayor Wheeler moves permanent Better Naito talks forward
- VA: Large hole closes portion of Creekside Trail in Lynchburg
- WI: Armed man fatally shot by police on park trail
- WA: Local mayors head to Copenhagen for help with bike trail design
- WI: Kenosha investigators release description of vehicle tied to bike trail sex assault
- CAN: New bike trail opens
- FL: Commission gets things rolling in bike path for Fort Island Trail
- NY: ADK Land Trust buys Wilmington land for mtn biking
- TX: New ‘mini-boardwalk’ opens
- NY: New Paltz section of the River-to-Ridge Trail is now open
High Mill Bridge Connector Dedication
Bike Share Now Available in Akron & Barberton
Summit County, OH - "Summit Bike Share is a free bicycle share program, available at 10 locations within Summit County; seven locations in downtown Akron and three in downtown Barberton..." more
Maple Highlands Trail Volunteer Bike Patrol
Geauga County, OH - "Along The Maple Highlands Trail, now stretching more than 21 miles across the entirety of Geauga County, riders may very likely encounter someone riding along in a heather gray athletic shirt sporting a yellow biking logo on the back..." more
West Chester Seeking Federal Trail Funds
West Chester Twp., OH - "Whether or not West Chester Twp. residents see a Smith Road bike path connector in the future will depend on whether the township is successful in its pursuit of federal grant money." more
Do You Leave Enough Space for Cyclists?
Dayton, OH - "There is a new state law in Ohio that you probably don't know about but if you drive a car or ride a bicycle on Ohio roads it applies to you." more...
ODOT Transportation Survey
Take the survey.
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Contractors Help at Bike Accident Scene
Dover Twp., PA - "...The deputy chief said the girl had gone off her bike and into the woods..." more
High Schoolers Pull Senior Prank Using Bike-Share Program
IL - "...The seniors at East High School in Rockford, Illinois decided to go a different route with their prank this year, using a local dockless bike-share program to sow a little wholesome chaos..." more
What Caused Washington’s Cougar Attack
"The experts' take on what happened last Saturday when a mountain lion killed one cyclist and injured another outside of Seattle." more...
Driver Pleads Guilty to Striking Cyclist
"Marshall Neely III, who was caught on video hitting Tyler Noe with his car and then fleeing the scene, will serve up to 10 months in jail." more...
- OR: Portland’s new protected bike lane design guide
- AL: Council approves $5,000 for bike trail study
- IL: New bike routes coming to Edgewater
- TX: Public input high in Longview-area walk, bike plan
- LA: Lafitte Greenway trail extension campaign
- IRE: Cyclists on Greenway a danger to pedestrians
Property Owners Mobilize Against Proposed Trail
Solon, OH - "...Solon Mayor Ed Kraus, a staunch supporter of the trail, said he 'absolutely' understands the concerns of residents. Solon's City Council will decide if the proposed trail will be constructed." more...
Downed Wires Close Bike Trail
Canfield, OH - "Tree branches fell on wires in Canfield, causing a spark and small fire Tuesday morning." more...
Final link in Ohio River Greenway to be Completed
IN - "The last link in a seven-mile trail that will connect Jeffersonville, Clarksville and New Albany is expected to be finished this year." more...
Failed Culvert Shuts Down Portion of White Pine Trail
Osceola County, MI - "...The DNR said the culvert failure was caused by significant trail erosion and that the area is unsafe for travel." more...
Detroit's Bike Lanes Debate
MI - "...Despite all this seemingly positive news, bike lanes have become a lively topic of debate in Detroit of late, with the city holding a series of community meetings to gather feedback on how best to go forward with them..." more
2nd Sexual Assault on Kenosha Bike Trail
Kenosha, WI - "...Authorities believe the incident may be connected to a similar incident in March." more...
2 Right-Hook Injuries in 2 Weeks
Portland, OR - "...“In the past two weeks we have confirmed at least two serious injury right-hooks at Broadway and Hoyt." more...
Cyclist Encounters Angry Moose on Bike Trail
Anchorage, AK - "A reporter captured the moment a moose protecting its two young calves lunged at a cyclist on a bike trail in Anchorage on Tuesday." more...
How Bike Lane Costs Skyrocketed in Seattle
WA - "...At present rates, the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) says it might be able to afford only half the 50 miles of bike lanes promised in the Move Seattle levy approved by voters in 2015." more...
Doppelt Grants Go to 10 Trail Projects
"...Since 2015, RTC’s Doppelt Fund has awarded nearly a half-million dollars in grants to nonprofits and government agencies working to develop and improve multiuse trails." more...
- CA: Hiker dies after falling from Yosemite's Half Dome trail
- MN: Minnetonka debuts Lone Lake Park mountain bike trail drafts
- NY: The Helderberg-Hudson Rail Trail is set to get a new paved section this summer
- IRE: Code of conduct signs to make Cork greenway safer
- UK: £400k match funding for new greenway and linear park
- NY: Surveillance videos captures moments before deadly North Tonawanda bike crash
- NYC: 7-year-old boy struck by illegal motorized bike
- MD: Man charged with assault at bike lane meeting
- HI: Honolulu removing crosswalks
- TN: Bike share launching Wednesday in areas including South Memphis
- VA: Richmond's rough first few days with 'floating parking'
New Bridge Connects Trails
Galena, OH - "...The new bike/pedestrian bridge spans the spillway of the [Alum Creek] dam, connecting the trails of Alum Creek to the Orange Township Trail System." more...
Greenway Phase 2 Construction Begins
Petoskey, MI - "Construction on the second phase of Petoskey’s Downtown Greenway corridor project began Monday morning..." more
Special Bikes Available on Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
Scranton, PA - "A new addition to a rideshare program in Lackawanna County allows handicapped bicyclists to use expensive hand cycles for free." more
Bike Commuter Beaten While Riding Through Homeless Camp
CA - "A bicycle commuter riding Tuesday along the Joe Rodota Trail was assaulted as he passed through a homeless camp on the popular bike and pedestrian path connecting Santa Rosa to Sebastopol." more...
Reports of Aggressive Coyotes
AZ - "The Arizona Game and Fish Department is warning cyclists who ride on The Loop path to be aware of one or more aggressive coyotes." more...
Beltline Bike Path Opens
OR - "...The bike path opened for use a few weeks ago. It extends an existing bike path along I-5 that ODOT completed a several years ago." more...
Tesla Driver Crashes, Says Autopilot Was On
"The driver of a Tesla electric car had the vehicle's semi-autonomous Autopilot mode engaged when she slammed into the back of a Utah fire truck..." more...
Bird Scooters are Ruining Venice
CA - "...Although I would like to avoid them, I have no choice but to consider them because I live in Venice, which is where the first Bird hatched and where the flock is thickest..." more...
Introduction of Wilderness Bill in US Senate
D.C. - "The Sustainable Trails Coalition has thanked Utah's Sen. Mike Lee's introduction of a revised version of his 2016 Human-Powered Travel in Wilderness Areas Act. The act would allow local managers to decide if mountain bikes should be allowed in federal Wilderness areas. Similar legislation is now pending in the U.S. House." more...
Optimizing Dockless Bikeshare for Cities
"New technologies and innovative business models have transformed the bikeshare landscape." more...
Distracted Pedestrians & Traffic Safety
"Vision Zero requires increased attention to the safety and behavior of all road users." more...
- TX: Pedestrians often faulted for getting hit
- TX: A Look at Where San Antonio’s Pedestrian Fatalities Occur
- NYC: Downtown Alliance Calls for a Pedestrianized Financial District
- NLD: Brabants first speedometer with reward
- OR: Oregon’s new bike tax
- OR: NW Portland crash victim’s son speaks out
- WA: Cougar attack victims worked to promote cycling
- CO: Lakewood man warns against bicycle path fishing line prank
- NY: $50M Upgrades for Long Island State Parks
- NC: Gaffney BPW awarded $150,000 grant for Thread Trail project
- MO: St. Louis to transform abandoned landscape into a vibrant new greenway
- ID: Route of the Hiawatha bike trail opens Saturday
- WI: Police investigating sexual assault on Kenosha County Bike Trail
Hit-and-Run Driver Turns Himself In
Miami Twp., OH - "A Loveland man is being held on $50,000 bond and a child is in a coma at Children's Hospital following a Tuesday night crash..." more
Protected Bike Lanes will be Test for Detroit
MI - "Detroit’s experiment with non-motorized transit is being put to its biggest test yet with the remaking of East Jefferson Avenue." more...
Woman Found Dead Near Conner Creek Greenway
Detroit, MI - "Detroit police working to learn the identity of a woman found lying face down on a bike path on the city's east side." more...
Ground Broken on Back Mountain Trail Loop
Logan, PA - "Ground has been broken for the Judy and David Rimple Loop Trail that eventually will connect to the Back Mountain Trail in Dallas." more...
Man Shot, Killed while Riding Bike
Logan, PA - "A 21-year-old man was shot and killed while riding his bicycle in North Philadelphia, police say." more...
RTC President Stepping Down
"...all good things must come to an end. I will be stepping down as RTC president in February 2019." more...
Toronto Still Waiting for Year of the Bicycle
CAN - "...43 years later, Torontonians are still waiting for a bicycle-friendly city." more...
- NM: Albuquerque activists want safer streets
- CO: Arrest made in stolen mountain bike
- WA: Cougar that attacked cyclists was underweight
- NY: Spa City to paint in more bike lanes
- NJ: Montclair-To-Jersey City Bike Path Would Be Part Of 9/11 Trail
- AK: Moose kill by bears close Potter Creek Trail
Cuyahoga County Seeks Feedback on Greenway Plan
Cleveland, OH - "...Planners will unveil specific routes showing how a web of greenways could better connect the county's 59 communities to each other, to downtown and the Cuyahoga Valley and the lakefront..." more
Boardwalks Dot Area for Hiking, Sightseeing
Toledo, OH - "Boardwalks in the greater Toledo area will likely get plenty of foot traffic as the weather continues to warm up." more...
Cougar Kills Mountain Biker, Mauls Another
North Bend, WA - "...the two men were collecting themselves and getting ready to leave -- after the initial encounter -- the cougar returned and pounced on one man." more...
- VT: Burlington Greenway re-opens, ready for Marathon
- IRE: Funding approved to complete £440,000 Clooney Greenway
- IND: MMRDA to connect tourist sites via greenways
Vandals Graffiti Xenia Station Caboose
Toledo Doubles-Down on Sidewalk Repair
Toledo, OH - "...They have more than doubled what they are spending on fixing these sidewalks this year..." more
Ped Bridge Installed on Licking Greenway
Covington, KY - "A metal pedestrian bridge was lowered gently into its position on the Licking River floodwall on Friday, creating a link to a trail being built in Covington." more...
Merrillville Upgrades its Hike/Bike Trail
IN - "An enhancement project on the town’s portion of the Erie-Lackawanna Trail is wrapping up, and officials say the improvements are getting attention." more...
Mounds Greenway Trailhead Planned
Anderson, IN - "The Hoosier Environmental Council and Sandor Development are betting a proposed trailhead project will be the spark needed to revitalize the city’s main retail corridor." more...
Bike Share Border War in Boston
MA - "...Boston is seizing vehicles from a Cambridge startup called Ant Bicycle, whose sudden incursion has tested the city’s ability to keep up with the fast-changing bike-rental industry." more...
Examining the Crash Scene Where a Rider Lost His Life
Portland, OR - "...On my way to the scene I got several clues about how inhospitable this part of Portland is for bicycling and walking..." more
Lawmakers try to Restore Commuter Tax Benefit
D.C. - "On Friday — Bike to Work Day — Reps. Earl Blumenauer and Joe Crowley released a discussion draft bill that would restore a version of the bicycle commuter federal tax benefit, which was eliminated in the tax bill passed last year." more
IMBA Names 3 Ride Center Communtities
Boulder, CO - "...IMBA says the designation is given to communities that 'feature extensive trail networks, masterfully designed for mountain bikers of every skill level and built by professional trailbuilders and local volunteers'..." more
- MN: Black bear spotted on Sleepy Eye Bike Trail
- IL: Davenport neighbors come together to back local bike trail
- LA: Bike Baton Rouge: Investing in bike lanes, trails saves city millions
- NY: Saratoga Springs plans bike lanes on Lake Avenue
- NY: Two Rivers Greenway to Binghamton University will follow Route 434
- NC: Winston-Salem bicyclist hospitalized with serious injuries after being struck
- FL: More St. Petersburg residents using bike-share program on a regular basis
- OR: PBOT proposes more robust median at N Rosa Parks and Villard
West Chester Balks at Miami 2 Miami Construction Costs
West Chester Twp., PA - "West Chester trustees may use federal grant funds for Smith Road path connector not Miami 2 Miami trail project." more...
Protected Bike Lane May Have Saved Cyclist
Philadelphia, PA - "...Studies show that such buffers reduce injuries by anywhere from 28 percent to 98 percent per mile of road – and not just for bicyclists." more...
Trail Plan Details Region's Greenways & Blueways
IN - "Bikers, walkers and runners are enjoying a newly paved Erie-Lackawanna Trail between U.S. 30 and 93rd Avenue in Merrillville, the first of several trail upgrades being undertaken this year in Lake, Porter and LaPorte counties." more...
Project will Connect Richland
PA - "On Thursday, officials with Pitt-Johnstown and community leaders broke ground on the REACHland Connect project – a multi-phase initiative to link, by sidewalks and bicycle paths, the UPJ campus and community with culture and commerce." more...
Lower Speeds, Extra Bike Lanes Possible
Pittsburgh, PA - "Lower speeds or extra bike lanes could be on the table in parts of Pittsburgh, part of an effort to improve safety for cyclists." more...
Cyclist Who Assaulted Trail Rider has been Caught
Ashburn, VA - "A fitness app helped detectives track down a bicyclist accused of assaulting another bicyclist on a [trail] in Loudoun County back in April..." more
6 Charged in String of Bike Thefts
Bend, OR - "The Bend Police Department's 'bait bike' program recently helped lead to the arrest of five Bend residents and a transient accused in a string of bike thefts..." more
AZ Governor Signs E-Bike Law
AZ - "...Local jurisdictions will still have the right to prohibit operation on bicycle paths, and Class 3 e-bikes will be restricted to on-road usage, while Class 1 and 2 e-bikes will be allowed on bike paths and other multi-use paths." more
The Most Bikeable Cities in America
"Portland, Seattle and Oakland posted the biggest Bike Score increases since 2015..." more
Cyclists Play Chicken with Train
"Two Brazilian cyclists were in for a surprise when they rode into an active train tunnel." more...
VeloNews Sees Large Growth in Podcast Listeners
"VeloNews said its podcasts have seen explosive growth in listeners over the past year — a 162 percent growth in monthly listens from 2017 to 2018..." more
- WI: Building a Better Biking Milwaukee
- MD: A protected bike lane will pop up in downtown Bethesda
- FL: 1,500 broken sidewalks on the Hillsborough County repair list
- FL: St. Augustine votes to develop bike share
- OR: Portland considering pilot of dockless electric scooters this summer
- TN: Epping Way section of Wolf River Greenway nearing completion
- UK: Clooney greenway scheme gets funding lifeline
- NC: Man accused of shooting horses faces more than a dozen charges
Ohio River Bridge will Feature Shared Use Path
Steubenville, OH - "A long-awaited bridge that would span the Ohio River and connect Brilliant and Wellsburg is scheduled to start this summer." more...
$1M to Help Indianapolis Bike Share Program
Indianapolis, IN - "A $1 million federal transportation grant will help Indianapolis' bike-share program nearly double the availability of its rentable bikes by next year." more...
Man Pushes for Sewickley Valley Bike Path
PA - "...Glen Osborne resident John Orndorff has approached councils in nine communities since January 2016 to try to get them to coalesce for a common goal: create a bike trail that would connect from Coraopolis to Monaca and cross the Sewickley Bridge from Moon into Sewickley." more...
Bike Courier Killed
Philadelphia, PA - "Pablo Avendano, a 34-year-old Point Breeze resident and bike courier for the food delivery company Caviar, was struck and killed by a car on Spring Garden Street on Saturday evening." more...
Police Face Lawsuit After Injuring Bicyclist
NYC - "Two NYPD officers veered into Heins Rodriguez and threw him from his bike...more
Make it Bike To Work Year
"Right up front, I am going to say that Bike To Work Weeks and Bike To Work Day on Friday are probably a terrible idea..." more
Successful Planning for Bike Share
"...A lot of the negative attention really boils down to a lack of planning and foresight..." more
20 mph Speed Limits Might Become the Norm in Scotland
"...The first 20’s Plenty campaign launched in the English town of Warrington in 2004, and there are now active chapters in more than 400 municipalities in the UK." more...
- NY: Reconnect Rochester asking you to name streets for possible redesign
- D.C.: Who Has A Right To D.C.’s Sidewalks?
- HI: Electric scooter ride share program launches in Honolulu
- OR: East Portland’s streets begin era of change
- UK: London considering 'car-free' days to slash pollution
- OR: Oregon collects $34,000 from bike tax through April
- NY: Officials advise hikers of muddy trails in Adirondacks
- TX: Arrest made in indecent exposure along local hike and bike trail
- MA: Rail Trail Extension To Pittsfield Passes 75 Percent Design Phase
- IA: Cedar Rapids expands trails and bike lanes
- VA: Phase One of the Dayton Greenway breaks ground
- IRE: Exploring opportunities for blueway and greenway trails on Royal Canal
UD Arena Bike Park May get Rolling
Dayton, OH - "Dayton residents soon won’t have to hit the road to find some good mountain biking experiences." more...
Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Trumbull County
OH - "On or about May 10, 2018, CSX Transportation Inc. filed for the abandonment of 13.9 miles of track in Trumbull County, Ohio. We are providing this information because it presents an opportunity to develop a real regional asset: a multi-use trail that can accommodate hikers, bikers, equestrians and other appropriate uses." more...
Police Question Authenticity of Car Hitting Bike Video
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia police say they are still working to determine the authenticity of a video showing a driver intentionally running down a cyclist." more
Detroit Adds Adaptive Bike Share Options
MI - "...Detroit is rolling out a pilot program with a variety of adaptive cycles for riders of all abilities. It's one of the first major cities to offer an adaptive cycle share program." more...
Library Tries Stationary Reading Bike
Avilla, IN - "Noble County Public Library will try a new stationary reading bike at each of its branches..." more
Free Biketown Rides Proving Popular
Portland, OR - "Portland’s experiment with free Biketown rides and parking fee waiver have led to record usage." more...
Is it Time to Rethink Right Turns on Red?
"...Though recent studies are lacking, the body of research shows that allowing rights on red compromises safety for people who walk and bike." more...
Copenhagen Bike share System Hacked
"A manual reboot of the entire fleet of Bycyklen bike share bikes, some 1,860 in total, has been required following what could be the first instance of hacking on a bike share scheme." more...
- OR: Police investigating truck-bicycle crash
- DEU: Eurobike says it's sold out
- VA: Commonwealth Railway Trail project gets closer
- CA: Lodi Greenline Project Gains Steam
- NC: Police recover all three vehicles used in horse shootings; reward grows to $6,000
- CAN: Large chunk of Mission Creek Greenway in Kelowna closed
Woman Dies from Bike Crash
Dublin, OH - "A Dublin woman died after apparently falling from her bicycle on her street during the early morning hours Monday, city police said." more...
To Bike Or Not To Bike Around Cincy?
Cincinnati, OH - "With more dedicated on-street bike lanes, an expanding system of riding trails, a bike-share system and several active cycling clubs, Greater Cincinnati is a far more bike-friendly city than it was just a decade ago." more...
Bicyclist Injured on Kokosing Gap Trail
Will West Chester be Problem Area in Trail Plan?
West Chester Twp., OH - "...West Chester lies in the middle of the route, raising concerns about the future of the path as it is envisioned while neighboring communities such as Mason and Liberty Township move toward completing their portions." more...
Friend of the Little Miami E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
New Urban Bike Trail Opens
Kalamazoo, MI - "...A new, one-mile stretch of hybrid trail connecting the east and west sections of the Kalamazoo River Valley Trail was dedicated as a kickoff to Kalamazoo Bike Week." more...
Clinton County Rail Trail Progress
Lock Haven, PA - "...On Friday, the Pine Creek Township road crew began drainage pipe and grooming work on the 4.5-mile portion of the trail stretching from the Castanea Train Station to the Wayne Township Community Park." more...
Touring Cyclists Murdered in Mexico
"Though initially deemed an accident, the deaths of Holger Hagenbusch and Krzysztof Chmielewski are now considered murders." more...
LimeBike is Developing "Transit Pods"
"...Billed as a 'new type of electric vehicle', it'll be enclosed, electric, and could hold one or two people..." more
The Vehicle of the Future is a Bike
"...from where I stand, the most exciting form of transportation technology is more than 100 years old—and it’s probably sitting in your garage..." more
Bicycle Friendly Businesses
"Last week, the League of American Bicyclists announced 114 businesses, agencies and organizations that have joined the growing list of Bicycle Friendly Businesses (BFBs) around the country..." more
- FL: One Woman’s Decade-Long Struggle for Safer Intersections
- CA: Metro Proposes Cutting Bike-Share Price in Half
- NM: Son of Suddenly Ending Bike Lanes in Burque (SoSEBLiB)
- UK: MPs call on DfT to extend electric vehicle purchase grants to bicycles
- TN: Trolley Collides with Party Bike
- WA: Someone stole a trailer full of bicycles from Bethel School District
- TN: Suspects held on unrelated cases after bike trail sexual assault
- ID: Man who died in Boise mountain biking accident was an experienced trail rider
- NC: $1,000 reward offered in shooting along greenway
- MD: Cycle track coming to Covington Street
Program Offers Free Use of Specialized Bikes
PA - "...a new Lackawanna Heritage Valley program, called the Adaptive Rideshare Program, offers free access to the specialty bikes." more...
2 Suspects in Custody in Bike Trail Assault
Knoxville, TN - "...According to KPD, officers responded to a report of a sexual assault at the bike trail at around 12:40 p.m..." more
City to Settle with Wheelchair Users for $113M in Sidewalk Fixes
Portland, OR - "Portland is preparing to settle a class action legal dispute with mobility-disabled residents by agreeing to upgrade more than 16,000 sidewalk ramps at a cost of $113 million over the next 12 years." more...
Work to Enhance Scenic Pacific Northwest Trail
Seattle, WA - "...Pacific Northwest Trail Association Executive Director Jeff Kish is leading the charge to protect, promote and improve the trail's 1,200 miles..." more
Saving Lives with Smarter, Slower Streets
"...Traffic safety is a big problem now and to ignore the things we can do, I think, is a disservice to the tens of thousands of people who are killed every year in crashes." more...
- NC: Workers spray controversial herbicide on Raleigh greenway
- NC: At least 2 guns used in shooting of Winston-Salem horses
- UK: Footpath closed for 10 weeks forces families to walk on busy main road
- IA: Are You Happy with Des Moines’ Bike Trails?
- FL: Commercial properties need protection from Legacy Trail mission creep
- OK: A year later, bike share program set to expand
- TN: Challenges of moving forward after transit plan failed
- TX: San Antonio's Deadliest Roads for Peds
Wright Bros. - Huffman Prairie Bikeway Closes May 14
Fairborn, OH - From gcparkstrails.com, "Wright Brothers Huffman Prairie Bikeway will be closed beginning Monday, May 14, as replacement of the old concrete trail begins with a new asphalt trail. Construction will take approximately two weeks."
More info on this closure here.
Firm Selected to Design Chouteau Greenway
St. Louis, MO - "...Although the greenway’s main vein, “The Loop,” will traverse universities, civic space, and parks, Stoss’ proposal also includes connection to the north-south axis of the city..." more
2 Horses Shot along Muddy Creek Greenway
NC - "Two horses were shot, one fatally, Saturday morning by people driving at high speeds on the Muddy Creek Greenway..." more
- CO: How to stay safe on the trail when Rattlesnakes are present
- NY: Giveaway shows Troy doesn't value its assets
- CAN: Okanagan trail enthusiasts compromise final stages of construction
Cardinal Greenway Branch Opens
Muncie, IN - "The city has completed construction of a branch of the Cardinal Greenway that will take users of the recreational trail to the new Fresh Thyme grocery store and a Starbucks." more...
Columbia River Gorge Closed to Cyclists this Year
OR - "The combination of fire clean-up and construction of new paths (ironically) adjacent I-84 has led to a decision to prohibit bicycling through a key segment of the Columbia River Gorge this summer." more...
Atlanta Ponying up for Chattahoochee River Trail
GA - "The city of Atlanta would contribute $100,000 toward a $1.5 million trail that would run along the Chattahoochee River for 100 miles ..." more...
Report Recommends Solutions to Reduce Ped Deaths
"...The report not only studies the trends in pedestrian fatalities, finding they are more likely to occur at mid-block, at night, and on arterials, but does a good job of looking at pedestrian behavior and offering solutions rather than blaming the victim..." more...
When are Uber's AVs Coming Back to the Street?
"CEO Dara Khosrowshahi spoke briefly of what’s been going on in the world of Uber’s self-driving cars in light of the fatal accident in Tempe, Arizona in March..." more
- MD: County To Test Pop-Up Bike Lane in Downtown Bethesda
- WA: Save the Seattle Basic Bike Network
- UK: Study finds cyclists face paranoia about drivers
- CO: Colorado school offers first Outdoor Industry MBA
- TX: Mechanics association offers Certified Bike Shop program
- CA: Sacramento residents fight proposed bike trail in Pocket area
- MN: To some riders, bike lanes are 'terrifying'
- HI: HFD rescues injured bike rider on Sunset Pillbox Trail
- MA: Phase 2A of Freeman Rail Trail christened in Acton
- OR: neon lights inspire greenway improvement project
Kasich Opens Ohio Roads To Driverless Vehicle Testing
OH - "Gov. John Kasich has signed an executive order opening up any public road around the state for testing for driverless vehicles." more...
Galena Brick Trail Paving
Galena, OH - "...Phase 2 of the trail, north of Holmes St., will go out for bid soon. A grant agreement has been executed and the design has been submitted to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for approval... Excavation and paving will occur this summer." more...
West Chester Changes Miami 2 Miami Plan
West Chester Twp., OH - "West Chester Twp. will meet again next Tuesday to discuss and possibly vote on a new Miami 2 Miami connector plan and apply for a $750,000 grant." more...
Cleveland Water Taxi to Give Free Rides in 2018
Cleveland, OH - "ELCEE2 Water Taxi to open Mother's Day and provide services at no cost this season." more...
Officers on E-Bikes
Federal Way, WA - "...On the second day of the pilot program, an officer on an e-bike helped catch a felon fleeing from a patrol car." more...
How to Kill a Bike Lane
"In cities nationwide, efforts to redesign streets for bikes and pedestrians can face stiff resistance." more...
On Foot, at Risk
"Study highlights rising pedestrian deaths, points toward solutions." more...
Impacts of Temporary Tactical Urbanism Projects
"Last summer, a group of residents took some chalk and flimsy lawn furniture and arranged it in along three blocks of a busy street in the Kenmore neighborhood of Akron, Ohio..." more
Inventor of the Sting Ray Bike Dies at 88
"Al Fritz created stylish roadsters that were yearned for by young hot-rodders in the 1960s and ’70s. But his rolled on two wheels..." more...
- MA: Protected bike lanes aren’t in final proposal for traffic changes
- WI: Mayor vetoes plan for bike lane buffers
- OR: Getting a police chief to ride a bike
- WA: David Allen Paid the Ultimate Price for an Unsafe Sandpoint Way Design
- WA: Giant playground for MT bikers is about to open 17 miles of new trails
- MA: Malden Greenway Plan Wins New Urbanism Award
- OR: Bumps on Willamette Greenway Trail
- TX: Downtown Houston’s Newest Bike Trail
- IL: Swansea moving forward on bike trail plan
- NM: Plan to smooth Rail Trail gap hits rough patch
- MN: Detroit Mountain receives grant to lengthen bike trails
- IL: Park District lands bike path grant
Cannonball Trail Extension Ribbon Cutting in June
New Franklinton Trail Piece of Larger Puzzle
Columbus, OH - "...The historic neighborhood is slated to receive paved walking/cycling paths both on street and off connecting attractions, schools, parks, downtown, and over 120 miles of Central Ohio Greenways..." more
Ohio Tourism Set Records for Visitors, Spending
Columbus, OH - "...TourismOhio leaders said the state drew 219 million tourism visits in 2017, up from 212 million the previous year, and saw direct spending rise by $1 billion to $35 billion." more...
Financial Boost For 'Pocono Bike & Hike Trail'
PA - "...Tobyhanna Township just received $550,000 dollars to install bike lanes on Routes 940 and 115. The grant will also help fund signalization and other safety measures." more...
Time for Peds to Take Back the Streets
NYC - "In 2009 transportation advocate Mark Gorton did a glorious rant about how crowded the sidewalks of New York City were, and how unfair it was that private cars got to take up so much of the space..." more
Cyclist Damages Car in Road Rage Incident
CA - "A woman is shaken up after a cyclist in Berkeley followed her for several street blocks then shattered her windshield with his fists." more...
An Incremental Approach to Bike Friendliness
"In the small town of Thomasville, Georgia, a quiet biking revolution is taking place..." more
Require AVs to "See" Bikes & Peds
"The Senate is hoping to pass Senate Bill 1885: The AV START Act this May! The bill will increase tenfold the number of automated vehicles being tested on our streets without requiring those vehicles to pass a federal safety standard proving they can "see" bicyclists and pedestrians." more...
Bike Friendly Business Program Celebrates 10 Years
"Today, as part of National Bike Month, the League of American Bicyclists welcomes 114 new and renewing businesses from 30 states and Washington, DC, to its Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB) program..." more
- TN: Alcoa close to securing all easements for Pistol Creek Greenway
- CAN: Section of Mission Creek Greenway closed due to rapid rise in water level
- CA: Emeryville Closer to Having a Contiguous Bike Network
- IL: Aledo receives bike trail grant
- NY: State will build 5 miles of bike trail
- MD: Schuh breaks ground on Broadneck Bike Trail Extension
Cycling in Ohio
"...hazards such as distracted drivers and autonomous vehicles pose risk towards riders. Today we discuss the landscape of cycling." more...
Funds for Growing Trails Network Coming
PA - "More than $5 million is going to be put into bicycle trails and other connections between designated rivertowns, state officials announced Tuesday." more...
Bike Crash Survivors Take Ride After Pickett Verdict
Kalamazoo, MI - "Less than two hours after a jury convicted Charles Pickett Jr. of second-degree murder for killing five members of a bicycle group during a ride in 2016, crash survivors Jennifer Johnson, Paul Runnels, and Paul Gobble once again grabbed their bikes and headed out for an evening ride." more...
We Could Use More Trail Guardians
IN - "...He raked up brush beside the trail where he always finds wild raspberry bushes. He dragged logs off to the nearby woods..." more
Illinois Awards $36M for Bike & Ped Projects
IL - "...IDOT Secretary Randy Blankenhorn announced the winning projects at the Illinois Bike Summit on Monday..." more
Federally funded Data as a Speed-Management Tool
"...40,000 traffic fatalities the United States is likely to see this year—a shocking and grisly statistic that has spiked in recent years despite Vision Zero and other safety aspirations of state and local transportation agencies." more...
- GA: Lime wants to launch in Atlanta
- WI: Green Bay Considers Bike Sharing Program with LimeBike
- AZ: Tempe to set parameters for dockless bike share companies
- MA: Bus/Bike Lane Program in Roslindale
- GA: 6 pedestrians have been killed by drivers in Macon-Bibb since January
- OR: New median diverter island on North Greeley at Willamette
- UK: Cyclist dies after being found lying in road in Hertfordshire
- MO: Prairie Village City Council votes to expand bike lanes, trails & sidewalks
- ND: Sexual assault on greenway
- GA: Proctor Creek Greenway officially opens
- TX: Section of Shoal Creek Hike and Bike Trail suffers massive storm damage
- IL: Moline receives $2M for bike trail
- VA: Bike trail named in honor of fallen VSP trooper
Bucyrus, Galion Plan Trail Projects
Bucyrus, OH - "Recreational trail additions are coming to both Galion and Bucyrus in the near future." more...
Canton Designates Bike Routes
Canton, OH - "City Council has designated state and national bike routes through Canton." more...
Wayne County, OH - Read the latest edition from Wayne County.
Stava Ride Data Helps Bikers Get Banned
CA - "A California city council banned mountain bkers from a local park this winter, thanks in part to Strava data." more...
Bike Share in the U.S. in 2017
"Bike share in the U.S. has continued its brisk growth, with 35 million trips taken in 2017, 25% more than in 2016..." more
Pedestrian Deaths Up 46% since 2009
"...Deaths per 100 crashes increased 19 percent. But the rate of death by SUV went way up." more
Jan Gehl Isn't Sold on 'Smart' Cities
DNK - "Architect and planner Jan Gehl looks back on how he helped transform Copenhagen into one of the world’s most livable cities and talks about how people can reclaim the streets." more...
Sevilla’s Lightning Bike Network
ESP - "Here’s one way to understand the story of biking in Sevilla, Spain: It went from having about as much biking as Oklahoma City to having about as much biking as Portland, Oregon." more...
- WA: Will Seattle make bike share permanent?
- FL: City to remove bike lanes on Curry Ford Road in Orlando
- TX: Why I'm scared to walk in Houston
- UK: Thousands sign petition asking for London to hold car-free day
- SC: Normalcy slowly returning to Fort Mill Greenway after train derailed nearby
- TX: Plans to Improve Austin’s Hike-and-Bike Trail
- NY: Ped Bridges, Bike Path To Open To The Public In June
- NY: Multi-use trail system in the works
Blue Star Trail: Grand Opening
Saugatuck Twp., MI - "...The next phase of the Blue Star Trail is to extend north to the existing trail that run along Holland Street and then Blue Star Highway where it connects at 64 th Street with the Beeline Trail to Holland..." more
The Multi-Use 'Trail That Could'..."
Richmond, VA - "...It’s the trail that could provide greenspace in a formerly industrial neighborhood where patches of green are almost non-existent." more...
Closed Greenway Causing Problems
NYC - "...The city is months behind on repairing a shuttered stretch of bike path on the Hudson River Greenway, forcing the thousands of cyclists who pedal along it every day to weave and swerve around dog walkers and joggers on the route’s pedestrian path." more...
Cyclist Struck by Driver During Charity Ride
NC - "...The cyclist was participating in the Raven Rock Ramble, a 100 mile bike ride around Raven Rock State Park..." more
U.S. Highways so Expensive that Cities are Tearing Them Down
"...An increasing number of cities around the US are choosing to tear down or transform parts of their dilapidated interstates, rather than repair them." more
Traffic Safety Orgs Speak for Themselves - Not the Rest of Us
"In the diverse world of traffic planning, advocacy and various movements for liveable cities, there is an odd group of outliers who broadcast conflicting messages..." more
- NY: Community explores building North Shore waterfront greenway
- AL: Mountain bike trail proposed for Riverwalk
- VA: Pocahontas State Park trail named in honor of fallen Lt. Jay Cullen
- IL: City breaks ground on next phase of Lakefront Trail separation project
Iron Horse Trail Closing
Stark County, OH - From Starkparks.com, "The Iron Horse Trail, between Bayton St. and Cenfield St., will be closed May 7 to May 11 for construction work near the trail."
Trailhead Event Space Features Sustainable Design
Akron, OH - "...On the corner of Howard and North streets, and adjacent to the Towpath Trail, Cascade Locks Park and the Mustill Store Museum, the Trailhead is just over a stone's throw from downtown Akron." more
Crossing the Singing River a Challenge for Trail
AL - "It’s still unclear whether a proposed 70-mile trail would extend south of the river into Decatur..." more
L.A. River Bike Path is Lure for Homeless
CA - "...'It was beautiful three years ago,' the 49-year-old resident told them. 'Now there's junkies everywhere'..." more
- NJ: A look at rebuilding the Centerton Road Bridge for pedestrians
- WI: City targeted by vandals overnight, including Root River Bike Trail
- MN: Unveiling art-inspired route for walkers, bikes
- CA: City levee design takes shape
Dayton Bike Share Turns 3
Dayton, OH - "...There was a celebration at Courthouse Square with music and dancing and a display of the Link bikes used in the community." more...
River Cliff Restoration Plans
Fremont, OH - "...The Black Swamp Conservancy donated this 80-acre park, which is adjacent to the Blue Banks, to the Sandusky County Park District." more...
County Preps for Bike Trail Paving
NY - "...local and state officials are beginning to focus on paving the Montgomery County portion of the Erie Canalway Trail." more...
Transforming the Rock Island Corridor
Kansas City, MO - "A bike trail currently under construction in Jackson County will eventually connect the Kansas City metro area to the Katy Trail." more...
Bay Bridge to Test 24-Hour Bike/Ped Path
CA - "For 10 days in May, bicyclists will be able to take a midnight ride across the east span of the Bay Bridge..." more
Americans are Falling in Love with Bike Share
"...According to a report just released by the National Association of City Transportation Officials, residents and tourists in US cities took 35 million bike-share trips in 2017..." more...
Reliable Bike Parking Encourages New Riders
"...Studies of European cities with a high rate of practical bicycling (trips for errands or commuting) show plentiful, secure bike parking is important to a strong bike culture." more...
- NY: DEC proposes moving Cascade trailhead to Mt Van Ho
- CT: Portland Airline Trail to open soon
- CA: Arroyo Seco Pedestrian and Bike Trail Nears Completion
- IL: Lakefront Trail changes underway; designated bike, ped lanes open
- UK: Greenway could connect Ballymena to Cushendall
- GA: Student drowns at the Oconee River Greenway
- D.C.: Should D.C. put a bike rack on every street corner?
- OR: Let’s help Kate Walker slow down drivers on Montavilla’s main street
- WA: 2nd Avenue’s Extended Bike Lane Officially Opens through Belltown
LimeBike Launching Pilot Program in Dublin
Dublin, OH - "...Starting on Saturday, 100 of the brightly colored bikes will be placed around the city and will be available for users to rent." more...
TJ Evans Trail Section Remains Closed
Granville, OH - From facebook.com/Licking-Park-District, "A section of the TJ Evans Bike Path remains closed from Main St at Granville Milling up to the Granville Rotary Bridge, until further notice. The closure is due to bank erosion and unstable bank conditions.
"For your safety, please observe all path closure signs and do not cross into closed areas."
Red Arrow Highway Bike/Hike Path Study
Benton Twp., MI - "Berrien County is ready to do a feasibility study for a bike and hiking path along the southern section of Red Arrow Highway..." more...
Crews Killing Invasive Plants along Licking River Greenway
Covington, KY - "Hikers along the Licking River Greenway & Trail in Covington should be alert for chain saws and chemicals as work crews begin eradicating invasive and unwanted bushes and plants." more...
Man Carrying Bike Struck, Killed by Train
MA - "A man carrying a bicycle was struck and killed by an MBTA commuter trail while walking on the tracks near the Ayer station Wednesday afternoon." more...
Oslo to Go Car-Free by 2019
NOR - "Oslo is still planning to go car-free by 2019, thanks to an ambitious network of bike lanes..." more
What Makes a Bike-Friendly City?
"Cyclists have a new tool to evaluate how well their communities support cycling, and some of the top performers might surprise you." more...
- OR: ODOT and PBOT compromise on 26th Avenue bike lanes
- MN: ‘Role Model’ Worker In Need Of Bike Will Get A Whole Lot More
- MEX: German cyclist, last seen in Chiapas, missing for two weeks
- WY: Men rescued after getting bad GPS info on way to Yellowstone
- TX: New section of Shoal Creek Hike-and-Bike Trail opens near downtown
- TN: Planners approve bike track plans, sidewalk survey
- CO: Moots, Ibis donate bikes to benefit advocacy & trail building
- MD: Building near popular Howard trail stirs residents
Towpath Finally Nearing Completion in Cleveland
Cleveland, OH - "Construction on a third segment of the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail in Cleveland is scheduled to begin in June, and work on the fourth and final stage of the 85-mile trail is to begin in 2019." more...
More Crashes Come with New Bike Lane
Columbus, OH - "The first protected bike lane in Columbus is attracting more cyclists — and more crashes — to a stretch of Summit Street through the University District." more...
Kalamazoo Crash Driver Guilty on all Charges
MI - "A reckless driver who was on drugs before crashing his pickup into a pack of bicyclists, killing five, was convicted of second-degree murder Tuesday in southwestern Michigan." more...
The Law of Riding a Bicycle in Ohio
"...Bicycles are defined as "vehicles" under Ohio Law. State law allows bicycles be lawfully operated on virtually all Ohio roads except freeways or certain limited access roadways. Therefore, cyclists who ride their bikes on roadways are in line with Ohio law." more...
Man Rammed Pedestrians to Dodge Work
Seattle, WA - "He allegedly told detectives he was fed up with his job and wanted to spend 'a few years in a room'..." more
E-Bike Craze Hits Seattle
WA - "...In the last three years, e-bikes have gone from fad to a verifiable movement in Seattle." more...
Bicycle Safety Changes Come After Rally
MA - "Bicycle safety advocates didn’t crowd City Hall on Monday to support an order for protected bike lanes and bicycle traffic signals in Porter Square because, one said, they already made their feelings known..." more
Bike Companies Join Bike-to-Vehicle Tech Advisory Board
"Some bike and e-bike heavy hitters are joining Trek and Ford in helping create safety standards related to bicycle-to-vehicle communication." more
- GA: ‘Complete streets’ initiative kicks off in Midtown
- NC: Confusing Rail Trail intersection still confounds
- TX: Deadly hit-and-run crashes on the rise in Texas
- OR: Crash reports still put responsibility on victims
- OR: Civility lacking with Portland bike commuters
- CA: Demonstration in San Fran to for safer, protected bike lanes
- FL: Thief tries to steal $600 bike
- ISR: 1st olympic-sized velodrome in the Middle East opens in Tel Aviv
- IL: Deal could bring 606 across the Chicago River
- CO: BLM approves town Fourmile proposal for 18 miles of new trails
- TX: Project brings long-awaited improvements to Shoal Creek Trail
West Hill Plans Towpath Link
West Chester Bike Path has Hefty Price Tag
West Chester Twp., OH - "...trustees are still deciding whether or not to apply for a $750,000 grant — $150,000 would be the required local match — to help pay for a portion of the Miami 2 Miami trail connector project." more...
9-Year-Old Petitions for Safer Walkways
Cincinnati, OH - "Nine-year-old Madelyn Gerker has written to the government, addressed City Council and, as of Wednesday afternoon, sat down for a serious talk with the mayor of Cincinnati -- all in pursuit of a safe sidewalk for her journey to school." more...
No Bids for Underground Railroad Center Pavilion
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Student Critically Injured by Driver
West Lafayette, IN - "A Purdue student was critically injured after he was hit by a pickup truck while riding his bike." more...
Dockless Companies Suspend Operation
Austin, TX - "On Sunday, both LimeBike and Bird appeared to have removed their shared-use electric scooters from the city’s streets in response to City Council’s vote on early Friday morning..." more
U.S. Traffic Fatalities Continue to Rise
"Traffic safety in the U.S. is heading in the wrong direction. Overall traffic fatalities are on the rise, pedestrian deaths are up about 25 percent over the last four years, and increasingly, drivers are striking people and leaving them for dead..." more
For more news, visit the 2018 Archive.