Regional, U.S. & International News
Red Line Greenway Controversy
Cleveland, OH - "...what’s happening is a clash of positive values. It’s a case of nature versus transit-oriented development, which is unfortunate." more...
NCIT Trail Clearing
Huron County, OH - "A productive trail work day was held Sunday in preparation for the trail clearing east of Norwalk that will begin later this spring..." more...
Improved Trails to Explore in Cleveland Metroparks
Parma, OH - "...The Cleveland Metroparks have about 100 miles of natural surface trails meant mainly for hikers, as well as about 100 others mainly for horses and 25 others mainly for mountain bikers." more...
Would Bikes/Peds get Cut of New Gas Tax?
OH - "Ohio Governor Mike DeWine got a Valentine’s Day request from 36 Ohio transportation groups." more...
Bike Thefts Drop 25% in San Fran
CA - "San Francisco may have missed last year’s target for a reduction in reported bike thefts, but the numbers are rolling in the right direction." more...
- TN: Kingsport adding to both ends of Greenbelt
- NC: Downtown Greenway under construction along Smith Street
- GER: In Berlin, there’s now one app to access every mode of transport
- CA: Las Posas Road to be widened for bike lane extension
- CAN: City's subpar snow clearing prompts groups to take action
- UK: Cyclist who crashed due to rising bollard in safety plea
- CA: Not everyone thrilled with ‘Complete Streets’
- FL: Still Fighting for a Safe Way to School in Tampa
More on Towpath Section Closure
Boston Twp., OH - "...This project is part of a Stanford Run stream restoration for which a contract was awarded in November 2018. An upgraded culvert will be installed to allow Stanford Run to flow under the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail and reconnect to the Cuyahoga River. more...
2019 RTC Trail Supporter Survey
U.S. - Take the survey.
What Bikers & Hikers Can Expect in Coming Years
Lincoln, NE - "...additions and improvements to the city’s 150-mile recreational trail network, where you never have to walk or ride alongside cars and trucks." more...
Bleak Future for Jakarta Cyclists
IDN - "...as Jakarta looks towards some relief from its horrendous traffic problem, there are still residents who see other options as offering the potential to get the city moving..." more
- MA: Safety Concerns Arise Over Bike Trail Extension
- NC: Gastonia designing extension to popular greenway system
- SC: He was driving a moped in a bike lane
- CO: Residents ask Larimer County to reconsider e-bikes on trails
Towpath Section Closure
Boston Twp., OH - From the CVNP, "The Towpath Trail between .5 mile north of Boston Mills Road and 1 mile south of Highland Rd is closed. The closure is expected to last 21 days for a culvert replacement. There are no detours."
Downed Tree Removed from Kokosing Trail
Collision with Skateboarder on Bike Path Results in Serious Injuries
Portland, OR - "We regret to inform you about another situation where someone suffered serious injuries at a location with a known history for posing hazards to bicycle riders." more...
E-Bike Brands see Little Impact from Tariffs
Brooklyn, NY - "...Nolte said the tariffs may end up benefiting his brands because they help “normalize” e-bike pricing by forcing up the price of low-cost Chinese-made bikes..." more
Bike Lanes Should be Kept Clear Year Round
"...you can't judge how many people would bike in winter if you don't make a bit of an effort to keep the bike lanes clear..." more
Runner Describes Surviving Mountain Lion Attack
"Last week Travis Kauffman went for a run near Fort Collins, Colorado. Little did he know his workout would include suffocating a mountain lion." more...
Students Bike to School in 1.4F Temps
FIN - "...winter cycling at below freezing is perfectly possible with the right planning and infrastructure." more...
General Motors Unveils E-Bike Company
"...on Thursday, the automobile giant unveiled more about its plans to break into the rapidly growing e-bike market." more...
- D.C.: DC proposes tighter ban on drivers blocking bike lanes
- NY: Bike lanes dump cyclists into traffic near construction sites
- FL: Coast Bike introduces dockless bike share to Tampa and USF
- SC: Columbia’s bike share program expanding
- SGP: Bike Sharing Trouble in Singapore
- OR: PeaceHealth bikes used widely on campus
- OK: Council funds Fox Lake Trail Extension
- CT: Middletown-area lawmakers propose 110-mile multi-use trail
- TX: See what’s in store for Pct. 4’s Greenway trail projects
- IRE: MTBike trail in Slieve Blooms gets major boost
- IRE: Carlingford Greenway to be completed in 2021
- WA: UPS returns to bike roots in Seattle with e-Bike delivery project
Historic Locomotive Returns to Bellevue
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Path Along 933 Would Fill Trail Gap
South Bend, IN - "...A group called the 933 Corridor Improvement Association applied Thursday for a $1.6 million state grant to build a 12-foot-wide path that would be several feet from the road’s west side." more...
Hoping to Turn Old Rail Lines into Trails
New Albany, IN - "...The Surface Transportation Board and CSX extended the deadline for the city to acquire the rails. The 63-mile rail line would be transformed into a walking and bike trail from New Albany to Bedford." more...
Ped Bridge Construction May Start This Year
PA - "...as it nears construction, it has gone through a stage of protest led by municipal officials where the bridge is to be built." more...
Trail Project gets Added Support
PA - "Groundwork on a multi-use path to connect college students to the Richland community and a Theatre Drive shopping hub is back on track to get underway this year, University of Pittsburgh at Johnstown officials said." more...
Bike Store Manager Run Over In Bike Theft Attempt
Chino, CA - " A GoFundMe campaign has been established to help with the medical expenses of InCycle Bicycles store manager Megan Rodriguez, who was run over by a pickup truck attempting to stop thieves from making off with a high-end bike this week." more...
Road Diet Myths
U.S. - "...Even after hundreds of successfully implemented Road Diets across the country, many misconceptions still arise..." more
How Bike Share Affects Buse, Train Use
U.S. - "...Bike-share operations — along with e-scooters — could be contributing to reductions in bus ridership as city dwellers forgo waiting at bus stops..." more
The Checklist That Could Change the Bike Industry
"A recent opinion piece in Bicycle Retailer stated that our industry is plagued with 'zero leadership and vision.' That got my attention..." more
- NY: Frankfort town board OKs trail agreement
- OK: Spring target date for trail extension opening
- AL: Extension coming to Lakeshore Trail
- VT: Bill to extend 2,700-mile trail through Addison County
- IL: Great Western Trail extension planned
- GA: Construction begins on mountain bike trail in Rockdale
- ITA: Bari to pay residents to commute on bikes
- NY: Floating Bridge Connecting Brooklyn And Queens Gains Key Support
- D.C.: How can D.C. make bikesharing family-friendly?
- CA: Santa Cruz Holds 2nd Highest Bike Commuting Rate In U.S.
- MO: Lime Bikes Were Supposed to Make St. Louis a Cyclist's City
- IL: Help build the Midwest’s premier multi-use trail
- MA: $7M for Mattapoisett Bike Path
- UK: Clooney Greenway work is under way
Senate Bill Benefits Ohio & Erie Canalway
D.C. - "...Through the funding cap increase for the Ohio & Erie Canalway National Heritage Area in the S.47, we will continue to develop, maintain and activate the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail and connector trails, preserve historic buildings, and conserve natural areas from Cleveland to New Philadelphia, Ohio..." more
Smallman Street Plan Update
Pittsburgh, PA - "...Thanks to the passionate residents and advocates who spoke out at public meetings, volunteered, signed petitions, and wrote letters to the editor, we will soon see bike lanes installed as part of a redesign of Smallman Street in the Strip District." more...
Philly's Street Closures Mapped
Philadelphia, PA - "...The interactive map from the Streets Department provides a view of work that disrupts Philadelphia’s streets..." more
Murdered Teen Hikers Case Still Open
Delphi, IN - "...Liberty German, 14, and Abigail William, 13, vanished on Feb. 13, 2017, after a relative dropped them off for a hike near an abandoned railroad bridge near their hometown..." more
County to Join East Coast Trail System
VA - "...Last month, Chesterfield Parks and Recreation announced that a half-mile path near Pocahontas State Park would be designated as the county’s first official section of the East Coast Greenway..." more
All the Different Types of Bike Lanes in 3 Minutes
CA - "San Jose shows off what a complete street looks like." more...
- WA: Panther Lake Trail Extension to open February 26
- TX: Report suggests we need new sidewalks and bike lanes near schools
- CAN: When it comes to bike lanes, Toronto could learn from Montreal
- IL: New turn in bike lane debate?
- MN: Bike lane project seeks to improve commute option
- CA: Closing the gap between the South Pasadena and L.A. bike paths
- TX: Denton cannot afford to sacrifice safety along West Hickory Street
- CT: 'Lime Bike' Bike Share Program to End in Hartford
- CO: Breckenridge votes to regulate e-bike rentals
- CO: We finally know how many people have scooted around Denver
- D.C.: D.C. may build out 3-mile ped & bike trail along Potomac River
- KS: KDOT chooses to fund Pittsburg's Memorial Bike Trail
- OR: Video claims protestors are to blame in collision with truck driver
High Water Alerts
Columbus, OH - From MetroParks, "Please be aware of flooding on the trails. Take care and do not ride through standing water if you do not know the depth. Stay safe."
Olentangy Trail Section Closure
Columbus, OH - "Beginning Monday, February 18th users on the Olentangy Trail will experience mid-day trail closures between Henderson Rd. and the Broadmeadows Park Bridge (south of Antrim Park). The trail closures will be daily between 10:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m..." more
$500K Donation for New Bike Trail
Oxford, OH - "...Oxford has committed to putting a 12 mile multi-use path in it's comprehensive plan..." more
Better Mobility Options for Cities
Columbus, OH - "Columbus, Ohio, wants to boldly change how cities integrate communities and transportation with Smart Mobility Hubs..." more
Great American Rail-Trail to Include Hancock Trails
WV - "Hancock’s existing trails could become part of an effort to connect nearly 4,000 miles of rail-trail and other multiuse trails from Washington D.C. to Washington State." more...
Legislation to Extend North Country Trail
VT - "...Connecting the North Country Trail to the Long Trail and Appalachian Trail will provide Vermonters and tourists with even more opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors..." more
Software Helps Urban Planners Increase Bike Lanes
"A data fueled software tool will help urban planners put bike lanes where they will be most beneficial." more...
5 Principles of a Bike New Deal
"...To us, the best bang for the buck in overhauling our transportation systems would be making them safe, convenient, and accessible for people who walk and bike..." more
Performance Bike Stores Expected to Close Next Month
"One of the nation's largest bike retailers will sut its doors for good on March 2." more...
- D.C.: Bike Lanes Controversy in Dupont Settled for Now
- LA: Cyclists worry about being hit in New Orleans bike lanes
- OR: Gravel-in-the-bike-lanes season
- AUS: Top motoring body urges investment in bike 'superhighways'
- NH: Franklin receives grant to build walkway over trestle bridge
- CA: Lyft donates $700k to bring bikes, free rides to East Oakland
- WA: Seattle plowing bikes lanes during snowstorm
- NC: County considers agreement for Harrisburg greenway
- NYC: No arrests in 4 recent hit-and-run cases
- GA: Grady students to hold rally for safe streets
- AUS: Cyclist unleashes on motorist driving carefully
- SC: Teacher sees student riding bike on hwy...
- ME: Penalty for motorist who killed bicyclist comes under fire
Bikeway Connector Survives Flood
Athens, OH - "The Hockhocking Adena Bikeway spur to Columbus Rd survived the 13th highest recorded flood in Athens. There appears to be no damage to the trail, and the embankment armored with re-used concrete shows no sign of impact from the flood." more...
New Albany Updating Strategic Plan
OH - "...The last strategic-plan update, which was in 2014, integrated possible future road and transportation grids and pedestrian and cycling strategies that continue to be impactful." more...
Portion of CVNP Closed for Nesting Eagles
Brecksville, OH - "A portion of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park will be closed to pedestrian traffic until August due to a pair of nesting bald eagles." more...
Border-to-Border Trail Segment Construction
Scio Twp., MI - "...Construction on a 1.2-mile extension of the Border-to-Boarder trail from the Dexter-Huron Metropark east to Zeeb Road officially began Feb. 9..." more
Philly can’t Achieve Vision Zero Without Change
Philadelphia, PA - "...PennDot’s attempts to address traffic safety in Pennsylvania have, so far, come up short..." more
Parks Group Honors Petoskey Trail Project
Petoskey, MI - "The Downtown Petoskey Greenway project recently received the mParks (formerly Michigan Recreation and Park Association) 2018 Park Design Award." more...
Minneapolis Walking & Biking Sucks More
MN - "...Bikers, meanwhile, only account for 5 percent of all trips, and they represent 15 to 20 percent of all traffic-related deaths..." more
Bicyclists Colliding with Peds in Japan
JPN - "...There are about 2,500 collisions between bicycles and pedestrians annually. In many cases, young people are held responsible for inflicting harm on pedestrians." more...
- NH: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Grafton County
- IA: Des Moines to spend $60 million filling 180 miles of sidewalk gaps
- OR: 13-year old struck by driver, seriously injured
- CA: Street Racer Kills Bicyclist In South LA
- CO: Battle of the Bike Lanes in Colorado Springs
- WI: La Crosse board OKs bike lanes on Gillette Street
- UK: Cyclists form human bike lane in call for segregated cycle space
- MN: Nice Ride Will Roll Out Minneapolis’ First Electric Bikes This Spring
- NY: Intersections Make List Of City's Most Dangerous
- IRE: Cork cyclists rally for safer cycle lanes
- MA: Easthampton exploring trail expansions
- NC: 21-year-old man sentenced to prison for Clayton greenway attack
- CT: Vandals strike Derby Greenway again
RIDOT Wants to Take Bike/Ped Money
RI - "Nearly $28 million would be redirected to pay for street paving and bridge repair work that would largely ignore alternative modes of transportation." more...
Cars & Trucks Using New Bike Lane
PHL - "...The 5.8-kilometer Protected Bike Lane beside the Laguna Lake Highway was officially inaugurated only four days ago..." more
- UK: Partnership formed to extend popular cycling and walking route
- NH: Can a protected bike lane work in the Capital City?
- CA: Proposed Napa County bike plan released
- NY: Brooklyn’s most dangerous intersections
- FL: Pedestrian killed while walking bike
- CO: Breckenridge could lay ground rules for e-bikes this week
- MN: Residents push for changes at Scott County intersection
Wellfleet Trail Extension Plans Meet Complication
MA - "Although $2 million in state funding has been secured for the extension of the Cape Cod Rail Trail in Wellfleet, there are still many crinkles to iron out..." more
Family of Hit-And-Run Victim Seeks Public's Help
FL - "The family of 71-year-old Carl Wetzig, who was seriously injured, is asking for the public's help in finding a hit-and-run driver." more...
Cities Wising Up to Transportation Tech
"...We’re exploring the regulation of TNCs, the Ubers and Lyfts, and the idea is, why should they use our public right of way to become billionaires?.." more
What's Yamaha Up to in the E-Bike Market?
"How will Yamaha position themselves as they enter the United States market with their power assist electric bikes?.." more
- IL: Schuyler Avenue bike lanes still target of critics
- CAN: Cycling group opposes Dundas bike lane split
- CA: Six-month bridge bike lane test makes sense
- IL: State law could derail B-N scooter rental program
- SC: Mary H. Wright Greenway reopens after renovations
- OK: City Taking Lead In Sidewalk, Bike Trail Installation
- UK: MTBikers blamed for the extinction of endangered plants in parks
Thomas J Evans Trail Alert
Newark, OH - "Due to recent rain and snow melt, a section of the TJ Evans Bike Path, approximately 1/2 mile west of the Reddington Road/Cherry Valley parking lot, has experienced bank erosion and unstable bank condition near the edge of the bike path." more...
Bicyclists Providing Input for New Map
Lake County, OH - "Bike riders in Lake County have the opportunity to provide feedback on the new Lake County Bike Maps expected to be available in late April or early May." more...
Who Owns/Manages the Wabash Cannonball Trail?
NW OH - "Did you know that NORTA was created 27 years ago? It is entirely volunteer operated! We own most of the Wabash Cannonball Trail in Fulton, Henry, and Williams Counties. We continue to value your support..." more
A Look at Trail Funding in 2019
U.S. - "...In states such as California, Florida and Ohio, our field staff are cultivating relationships and actively pursuing longer-term policy initiatives that will pay dividends for years to come..." more
Hell's Kitchen Boasts Largest Citi Bike Station
NY - "The 79-dock station on West 59th Street and 10th Avenue is tied for the largest in Citi Bike's system." more...
Beltline Trail Section Now Open
GA - "Soon enough, Atlantans will be able to cruise from Piedmont Park all the way to Memorial Drive without leaving the Beltline." more...
Bike Share Takes Bite out of Ride Share
"... what stands out are the numbers after Uber acquired Jump in April. The full integration with the ride-hailing app turned people away from ride-hailing quite significantly..." more
Where Can You Safely Bike in the U.S?
"A new report shows that while cycling deaths are up nationwide, some cities and states are bucking the trend." more...
National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) 'Most Wanted' List
"...While the NTSB rarely directly addresses bicyclist or pedestrian safety, many of the “most wanted” safety efforts point to big potential improvements for people who bike and walk..." more
E-Scooters Racking Up Injuries
U.S. - "A Consumer Reports investigation finds 1,500 e-scooter injuries across the country, and many hospitals still don’t track them." more...
Survey Says: Brits Prefer Cars
UK - "... It confirms that getting Brits out of their cars and on to buses and bikes instead is going to be an uphill struggle." more...
- CA: How Would You Do Intersection Markings?
- IL: DeKalb Park District pursuing nature trail extension
- WY: Environmental assessment for proposed Red Grade Trails project
- CAN: Waterloo Region considering changes to uptown cycling lanes
- NYC: Protesters rally against NYPD crackdown on cyclists
- WA: Greenway suit against Yakima homeless-shelter rezone on hold
- NC: Residents stil waiting for Greenway access
- D.C.: 50 Capital Bikeshare Stations Are Out of Service
- KS: GCCC begins bike share program
- WA: Wanted felon living near trail
- MS: Red tape holding up Sowashee Creek walking trail
- IL: Chicago-area bike dealers step up security amid rash of break-ins
Towpath Flooding Reports
Summit County, OH - From summitmetroparks.org, "The Towpath Trail's Clinton Trailhead parking lot and the trail south to the county line is closed due to flooding."
Stark County, OH - From starkparks.com, "Water from the Tuscarawas River is flooding the trail near Lake Lucerne Trailhead, Lake Ave. Trailhead, and Craig Pittman Trailhead."
More Stark County Trail Flooding
OH - West Branch Trail - "Rising water from the Nimishillen Creek will probably close several areas along the trail, including under Rt. 172/Tuscarawas St."
Mahoning Valley Trail - "Gaskill St. to Rockhill Ave. along the Mahoning River is closed due to flooding."
Lease Renewed for Towpath Extension
New Philadelphia, OH - "Commissioners signed a new 10-year lease with the Kimble Co. Wednesday to use an unused rail line to extend the Towpath Trail four miles closer to Dover and New Philadelphia." more...
E-Bikes Approved for Saucon Rail Trail
PA - "...borough council Monday approved a change to the rules regarding the use of motorized vehicles on the popular pathway to allow for eBikes." more...
How Ann Arbor's 1st Protected Bike Lane will Look
MI - "...The project is the first of a network of protected bike lanes planned throughout the city in an effort to make streets safer for pedestrians, cyclists and motorists." more...
Cops Manhandling Cyclists in NYC?
NY - "Cyclists are demanding answers after an NYPD captain apparently tackled a bike rider in Midtown on Thursday as he was trying to ticket him in a police sting..." more
Performance Bike Stores Update
Chapel Hill, NC - "...The layoffs ended hopes that Performance, once the country's largest bike retail chain with 104 stores and nearly 1,700 employees, would continue to operate brick-and-mortar stores..." more
U.S. Public Health Crisis
D.C. - "Number of bicyclists killed reached 25-year high as transportation policies at federal and state levels require greater urgency to create a more Bicycle Friendly America." more...
Regulating Car Speeds in Europe
"When you try and go too fast it says, 'I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that'." more...
- NC: City of Asheville continues to mull bikeshare, e-scooter program
- AR: Grated Sidewalks in Downtown Little Rock Causing Safety Concerns
- IL: Plan For New Bike Lanes In The South Loop Delayed
- TX: Cyclists demand change to UT campus and Austin city streets
- MA: $10M for transportation projects slated in South Hadley, Granby, Belchertown
- D.C.: Capital Bikeshare problems take many stations offline
- AR: VeoRide Bikeshare Program Adds 150 New E-Assist Bikes
- MN: Nice Ride Minnesota's 2019 proposals include ebikes, expanded equity
- IA: Iowa lawmakers consider e-scooter rules
- CAN: Langford neighbourhood group opposes E&N Rail Trail expansion
- MO: New multiuse trails great for Joplin area
- IRE: Newry to Carlingford Greenway to be completed in late 2020
More on Upcoming North Shore Trail Construction
Ashtabula, OH - "...It takes advantage of the wonderful landscapes and natural beauty Ashtabula has to offer and is one of the final portions of the 110-mile Great Lake to River Trail that crosses the state of Ohio." more...
Dead Tree Removal Continues on NCIT
High Water Alert for Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "...The river has flooded the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway at the usual low spot between Stimson Ave and the US33 overpass in the City of Athens, and the bikeway will likely be impassable at that location through sometime Sunday..." more
Ohio & Erie Canalway Visitor Survey
NE OH - "We're excited to present the following survey for visitors to the Ohio & Erie Canalway. We really appreciate your input and advice..." more
4 to 3 Lane Road Conversion
Donation Fixes A Gap In Pere Marquette Rail-Trail
MI - "The Forsberg family donated $10,000 to benefit the Pere Marquette Rail-Trail extension project." more...
More Tickets for Bike Lane Parking Violations
Philadelphia, PA - "The number of vehicles cited for obstructing a bike lane rose 17 percent in 2018. But bike advocates warn that the deterrent effect might be weakening." more...
Philippines gets 1st Protected Bike Lane along National Highway
"Bikers along Laguna Lake Highway now enjoy a separate lane from motor vehicles, protected by a planting strip." more...
- OR: Families for Safe Streets
- WA: Redesigned Northgate bike/walk bridge construction
- OR: Stolen bike found, fixed and returned to local vet
- GA: Gunshot wound linked to remains found in woods
- CA: Bicycle Advisory Board pushes for more protected bike lanes
- NYC: L train shutdown cancelation shouldn’t stop bus, bike lane upgrades
- CO: Sadik-Khan: Denver Can Learn From NYC’s ‘Streetfight’
- NYC: Pedestrian Deaths Rise Citywide
- AZ: Electric scooters may make Phoenix debut later this year
- LA: Shreveport’s Phase 2 of bike lanes almost complete
- NC: Neighbors express concerns about proposed Winterville greenway
More Sharrows May be Coming to Bowling Green
OH - "...We have been working on developing a bike infrastructure for a few years in Bowling Green..." more
Liberty Twp. Ponders Hike/Bike Path
OH - "A $15,000 study will help trustees decide whether a shared use path for pedestrians and cyclists should be built along Cincinnati-Dayton Road under Ohio 129." more...
72-Year-Old Charged in Bicyclist Death
WI - "A 72-year-old Waukesha man faces a single charge of homicide by negligent operation of a vehicle in connection with the death of pediatrician and avid bicyclist Dr. Brian Yagoda..." more
Suspect Sought in Bike Shop Thefts
CA - "Authorities are seeking a suspect who has stolen high-end bikes, or attempted to do so, from at least eight stores up and down California..." more
Pedego Tests IBD Sales Program
CA - "Pedego, the e-bike brand with over 100 licensed U.S. stores in operation, is testing a program to sell its bikes to independent retailers through a 'store-within-a-store' program." more...
Here Comes the Micromobility Revolution
CA - "At a Bay Area summit devoted to electric scooters and other new mobility devices, fans evangelized about the potential of technology..." more
- TN: After another death, Nashville nonprofits advocate for pedestrian safety
- AZ: Vigil held for 5-year-old boy fatally struck by truck in Phoenix
- WA: Seattle advances plans for N 34th St redesign
- CO: Bicyclist killed after being hit by train in Longmont
- GA: City, county to team up on trails
- CA: Has Oakland Turned a Corner on Protecting Cyclists During Construction?
- TUR: 5 Challenges and Solutions to Building Bike-Friendly Cities in Turkey
- TN: Walk, bike path coming to Chapman Highway
- AUS: Dirt rider clotheslined off bike by neck-high wire strung across forestry track
- UK: Cycling Groups Do Not Slam Rail Line Conversion Proposal
- TN: Explore Bike Share program expanding in Memphis
- TN: Plans to expand bike share program using scooter profits
- CA: Metro Bike Share Arrives in Koreatown
Tri-State Trails Launches Connect NKY
Newport, KY - "Tri-State Trails, in partnership with The Devou Good Project, will launch a new program called Connect NKY to expand active transportation infrastructure in Northern Kentucky..." more
Bicyclist Killed in Hit-and-Run
MI - "A bicyclist was killed in a hit-and-run Saturday afternoon and Warren police are now offering a $1,000 reward for information that could lead them to the vehicle and the driver." more...
It's Sneckdown Season!
Seattle, WA - "...What is a sneckdown, you ask? Well, mother nature has essentially painted the city’s streets with a valuable traffic calming and street design demonstration..." more
Cyclist Killed While Riding In Bike Lane
NYC - "An elderly cyclist was killed by a hit-and-run-driver while riding in a bike lane near Times Square on Monday, police said." more...
Seattle Developing New Approach for Ped Safety
WA - "...The city will add the crosswalk and the signal and then count how many pedestrians cross and see if it reaches the threshold that the MUTCD recommends." more...
Runner Fights Off, Kills Mountain Lion
Fort Collins, CO - "A man is recovering after he fought off and killed a mountain lion that attacked him during a trail run..." more
Car-Free Day in Addis Ababa
ETH - "Addis Ababa and other cities across Ethiopia are observing the country's third Car Free Day." more...
- CA: Mobility report shows bike trips on the decline in SF
- SC: Driver pulls gun on boy riding bike
- IL: City Council considering Mattoon Bicycle Plan
- NJ: Henry Hudson Trail to Extend into downtown Freehold
- WI: A Riverwalk for Menomonee Valley
- CA: Work on Valencia Protected Bike Lane Pilot Almost Complete
- TX: Students call for additional bike lanes on campus following cyclist death
- TX: Advocates say changes needed on Central Austin street where bus killed cyclist
- CO: Denver’s bike-share is losing popularity
- MO: Spin scooters see 3,600 rides since December launch
- AR: VeoRide to Roll Out More Electric-Assist Bikes in Fayetteville
- UK: Elderly Man Assaulted on Greenway in Liversedge
- WI: Guilty plea in bike trail sex assault case
- NC: Plan to address $77M Cross Charlotte Trail funding gap
Mayor Targets Cyclists
IL - "Batavia Mayor Jeff Schielke has had it with groups of bicyclists who ride through town without stopping at stop signs." more...
Bike Lane Project Could Put Iconic Trees on Chopping Block
Wellington, FL - "...A major construction project could affect hundreds of trees that have lined Aero Club Drive for decades." more...
The Push to Build a Coast-to-Coast Trail
U.S. - "...Mills explains that part of what it was waiting for was enough segments of trail to be completed around the U.S. to potentially make up about half of the route..." more
Gotcha Expanding in the U.S.
U.S. - "...Gotcha is expanding its micro-mobility offering in the United States and has announced it is now offering three customizable products: dockless bike share, 100%-electric ride share vehicles, and electric scooters..." more
- NYC: Fate of bike lanes, busway debated
- NH: Manchester aldermen to review potential Maple-Beech redesign concepts
- IL: Springfield Considering Bike Share Program
- UK: London considers dockless bike share
- MO: Lime is yanking those green bikes from St. Louis, but they may be replaced
- CA: Electric street scooters are coming to Sacramento
- TN: Greenway’s Story Book Trail opens
- TX: Plan will guide San Antonio parks system growth
- FL: Widening of Forest Lakes Boulevard begins
- CA: Suspect In Armed Robbery On Trail Arrested
Converting Brownfields to Greenways in Girard
Handicap-Accessible Port-o-John Placed Along Kokosing Trail
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...a handicap-accessible port-a-john will now be available for trail users. We would like to shout out United Aggregates for donating and placing the compacted aggregate for the pad in which the unit was placed..." more
Shenango Valley gets $1.9M for Transportation Projects
Shenango Valley, PA - "Three local communities got a $1.9 million share of $44.5 million in state grants awarded Friday for 50 transportation projects across the state." more...
Great Redwood Trail Planning
CA - "While he does not expect it to be completed in his lifetime, Ukiah resident Neil Davis is very excited about the idea of turning 300 miles of railroad tracks into a public trail that travels from San Francisco to Humboldt Bay." more...
- WA: Improvements coming to bike lanes, traffic signals on Kitsap Way
- SC: New stretch can connect downtown to Swamp Rabbit Trail
- OK: Grant sought for bike share program
- IRE: Allenwood locals seize the opportunity for Greenway
- GA: Why Sterling on the Lake residents oppose a suggested trail
- UK: From bike tracks to new bogs - 13 projects to improve tourism
- CA: Petaluma police focus on Lynch Creek Trail camps
Plan for More Trail Connections in Central Ohio
Columbus, OH - "The Ohio State University’s City and Regional Planning Department’s Transportation Studio will be working with the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission (MORPC), Columbus Recreation and Parks, and Central Ohio Greenways (COG) on the development of six new trail connections throughout the Central Ohio region..." more
Road Diet Coming to Delphos
OH - "...the administration now has plans in hand that would eliminate one lane of traffic in the Fifth Street corridor, add bike lanes and expand the width of sidewalks along the two-mile route." more...
Dexter Planning Phase 2 of Mill Creek Trail
MI - "...However, since this segment of trail would be mostly boardwalk, the cost of construction is significant..." more
Baltimore DOT Pulling Funds for Bike Infra
MD - "...Baltimore Department of Transportation plans to allocate zero new dollars for bike lane projects in fiscal 2020, and far less than originally planned for the next couple years..." more
Utah Tries Again to Pass 'Idaho Stop' Law
UT - "...It is the fourth time that Rep. Carol Moss, D-Holladay, has attempted to pass the bill, which cleared the House last year but died in the Senate." more...
Trip Planning Apps Can Change Your Commute
"Turn your smartphone into a catalyst for making better transportation choices." more...
- CAN: Latest cyclist fatality highlights need for safer bike routes
- MS: Construction begins to improve road, add bik path
- CA: Authorities ID bicyclist who died following crash with car
- FL: Legacy Trail extension coming into focus
- MA: Final pieces of Salisbury, Amesbury rail trails come together
- MEX: Mazatlan bike share system is in place
- CAN: Kitchener putting in protected bike lanes
- CA: Man beaten to death on popular Napa trail
- UK: Plans for a cycling trails revolution in Cornwall
- LA: Here’s what Sidney Torres is planning next along the Lafitte Greenway
- OR: School staff and parents discuss traffic safety issues
Trail Grant Sought in Canal Winchester
OH - "...We are looking to do a $500,000 grant for a trail that would connect our phase one McGill Park property to along the (Walnut) creek all the way to Washington Street to the covered bridge..." more
Wasson Way Project Moves Forward
Cincinnati, OH - "Last week, Mayor John Cranley joined a crowd of supporters at Dana Gardens to announce that Phase 2 of the Wasson Way trail received $100,000 in funding from a local business, School Outfitter. This is in addition to the $2.2 million budget for the public works project." more...
Falls Seeking Grant for Trail Extension
Cuyahoga Falls, OH - "...A sidewalk on the west side of Willis Street likely would be included in Phase II of the Mud Brook Greenway, which also would consist of a trail from Bath Road through the Mill Pond area to Graham and State roads..." more
Wayne County Rails-to-Trails E-News
OH - Read the latest edition.
House Government Organization Passes Mon BikeTrail Bill
Charleston, WV - "The House Government Organization committee quickly passed and sent to the floor on Wednesday one of the five bills creating a Mountaineer Trail Network Recreation Authority for Monongalia and neighboring counties." more...
New $27M Ped Bridge Won’t be Open to Public for Super Bowl
GA - "...Instead, the snakelike structure will serve Super Bowl staffers and credentialed media, leaving visitors to fend for themselves when crossing some streets to the [stadium]..." more
Man Robbed at Gunpoint on Silver Comet Trail
GA - "Two men armed with guns laid branches along the bike path, which forced the man to stop and get off his bike..." more
State Exploring Options to Keep Rock Island Trail Project Alive
MO - "After nearly four years of review and negotiation, hope continues for those in favor of turning the Rock Island Railroad corridor into a cross-state trail..." more
Fixing a Fork in the Road
"...Forks often need fixing because they create complicated intersections with dangerous sight lines and signals with too many phases, impeding the flow of both vehicles and pedestrians..." more
Bike Fixation Releases Wave Delineator
MN - "...Bike Fixation set out to design a temporary lane delineator that makes pop-up or demonstration bike lanes feel fun, inspiring and safe." more...
Inside the Transport Data Tug of War
"The relationship between cities and new mobility companies was tense from the start." more...
- CA: Orange County Plans a 4-Mile Parking-Protected Bike Lane
- MA: Plans for Bike Lanes on Craigie Bridge Move Forward
- CAN: Vancouver city council demands more options for Granville Bridge bike path
- CAN: Richmond-Adelaide bike lanes have officially become permanent
- ME Portland invites bike-share companies onto city streets
- TX: Austin B-cycle to roll out new bike-share program
- LATAM: Bike share AI to be deployed
- CA: Downey launches bicycle share program
- CA: $12.6M transit grant to extend planned bike path
- VA: Greenway expands in Southeast Roanoke
- RI: STIP Major Amendment Decimates The Transportation Alternatives Plan
- TX: Study Looks At How To Make Houston’s Intersections Safer
- NE: Nearly 1,500 public comments later, Lincoln Bike Plan finally complete
- NV: Hit-run suspect says he binged on beer before, after striking bicyclist
- WA: 300+ neighbor-created ideas to improve Seattle streets
- NH: 'Fix Your Bike February'
Nature Center Due for Trail Overhaul
Shaker Heights, OH - "City Council gave its collective blessing Monday (Jan. 28) to proposed boardwalk improvements along the All People's Trail at the Shaker Lakes Nature Center." more...
New Infrastructure Improvements Planned for Linden
Columbus, OH - "...The city is designing the reconstruction of Hudson Street between Interstate 71 and Cleveland Avenue, to the south of Linden Park. That $11.7 million project could include sidewalks on the north side of the street and an “urban greenway trail” on the south side of the street, providing a rare east-west connection to the city’s major bike trails..." more
Greenway to Join 4,000-Mile Trail
IN - "Cardinal Greenway is set to become part of a 4,000-mile multi-use trail which begins in Washington, D.C. and ends in Washington State." more...
Mayor Seeking to Ban Right Turn on Red
HI - "The Honolulu mayor says the change — on Oahu only — would make it safer for pedestrians and bicyclists." more...
- TX: City Pushes Back on TxDOT’s Awful I-30 Redesign
- VA: Streets to Get Makeovers in Landmark Redevelopment Plans
- NM: Albuquerque To Begin Ticketing Cars Parked In Bike Lanes
- CA: Man Dies After Being Struck by 5 Cars
- OR: First look at TriMet’s new Bike & Ride parking
- TX: Construction underway on Nolan Creek trail extension
- GA: Evolution of Beltline’s Southside Trail continues
- GA: Greenway Extension
- FL: Bike lanes or parking?
- TX: Bike Lane Debate Heats Up in Denton
- CA: Solvang bike lane project put on hold
- UK: Oxford cyclist injured on 'treacherous' Cowley Road bike path
- AUS: Cyclists in 'Bike Path' Abuse Video Were Cops
- GER: Public Bike Provider Nextbike Steps up Pace by Electrifying its Fleet
- CO: Denver is giving out 5,280 free passes for rides on B-cycle bike share
- VA: Garden City Greenway set for official opening
- VA: Scott’s Addition residents could see new trail
Lime Bike Share Pulls Out of Dublin
OH - "We quite recently heard that Lime has pulled out of providing their bike share to City of Dublin, Ohio - Government. Apparently due to low rider numbers..." more
Help Create Safe Routes to School
Columbus, OH - "Do you support making Columbus better for Biking and Walking? Here is how to get involved with bringing more Safe Routes to School on the West Side..." more
UPS Cargo Bikes in Pittsburgh
PA - "...UPS launched the pedal-assist cargo trike in the Steel City in November 2017, passing up Philly..." more
Google Plans to Sell Cellphone Location Data
"...The program, known as Replica, offers planning agencies the ability to model an entire city’s patterns of movement..." more
- OR: PPB will increase focus on infamous Ladd Circle stop sign
- NJ: Coal plant sale offers opportunity for greenway
- CA: 3-mile Coast to Crest Trail segment opened Jan. 26
- FL: Sarasota County to borrow money for Legacy Trail extension
- GA: PATH400 to link BeltLine, areas north of I-285
- AUS: Walking trail to Wellington Dam opened
- VA: Bike lane prohibition is rejected by Richmond City Council
- NC: Durham getting 8 more miles of bike lanes and 1st ‘buffered’ bike lane
- AZ: Bike lanes are scary and dangerous
- CAN: Proposed bike lane down centre of bridge stokes controversy
- KS: Plans for new Manhattan bike-share company still being finalized
- CAN: Cyclist dead after bike lane accident in North Vancouver
Summit County Parks Weather Alert
OH - "Due to extreme cold temperatures forecasted for Wednesday, January 30 and Thursday, January 31, the Nature Realm Visitors Center, Liberty Park Nature Center and Summit Lake Nature Center will be closed and all programs are canceled. Parks remain open." more...
Towpath Trailhead Parking Closed
Stark County, OH - From Starkparks.com, "Lake Lucerne, Lock 4 (lower parking lot), and Crystal Springs are closed due to thick ice in the parking areas after recent flooding."
Council Approves Funding Polaris Parkway Road Project
Columbus, OH - "...It also will resurface a smaller portion of Olde Worthington Road/Orion Place, add sidewalks and a shared-use path, replace traffic signals, and build a retaining wall, street lighting and landscaping in the area." more...
Opposition to Bike Trail in Delphos
OH - "...Do we need a bike trail on one of the busiest streets in Delphos..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
The Future of Performance Bike
Columbus, OH - "The closing sale at Performance Bicycle at 6674 Sawmill Road will conclude in February — but the store could reopen soon afterward, assuming that the chain’s purchase out of bankruptcy goes through." more...
Jogger Attacked on South Charlotte Greenway
Charlotte, NC - "A 38-year-old woman was grabbed from behind after a man asked to use her cell phone..." more
Great American Rail-Trail Taking Shape
U.S. - "Twelve states, 4,000 miles, and zero cars: The Great American Rail-Trail took a big step toward becoming a reality this month." more...
Scooters Inspiring Better Street Design
"...Scooters are part of a growing ecosystem known as micromobility..." more
What Happened After Downtown Oslo Went Car-Free?
NOR - "...Parking spots are now bike lanes, transit is fast and easy, and the streets (and local businesses) are full of people." more...
- CAN: Bikes, booze and e-scooters part of Uber Canada’s plan in 2019
- CAN: Initiative asks residents to share 'missing links' with bike lanes, sidewalks
- VA: Richmond City Council Approves E-Scooter Rollout
- TN: Franklin to start construction on city's first mountain bike trail
- NH: Hampton votes to support rail-trail proposal
- FL: FDOT considers plan to add bike lanes along US-19
- MN: Farmington aims to be more bike, pedestrian friendly
- NYC: Ninth Street bike lanes make road no safer for pedestrians, residents say
- OR: 'Better Naito' opens on Portland's west side
- CAN: Inner Harbour tree cut down despite pleas to keep it
- NC: Wake Forest greenway trail vandalism under investigation
- TN: Knox County working to add more greenways
- D.C.: Bill Would Give Scooter, E-Bike Riders More Legal Rights
- OR: PBOT’s $2.1M plans to tame dangerous road section
North Shore Trail Nearing Construction
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Ferndale Prepping for Bike Share Stations
MI - "...Ferndale is the lead city in south Oakland County in bringing the popular bike sharing service to area. Other cities such as Royal Oak, Berkley, Huntington Woods and Oak Park are also moving to get MoGo bike share stations set up in their communities." more...
Car Spotted on Pigeon Creek Greenway
Evansville, IN - "...she filmed a white sedan traveling at traffic speed along the Greenway." more...
E-Bike Company Suffers 3rd Fire in 7 Months
"The Dutch company Stella lost 36 e-bikes and 80 batteries in a blaze at its showroom." more...
Amazon Begins Testing Sidewalk Drones
WA - "Robots are 'the size of a small cooler and roll along at a walking pace'..." more
Motorist Drives on Bike Path to Harass Cyclists
AUS - "A video filmed by a motorist in Australia – illegally, using a handheld mobile phone – that shows him taking to a bike path to overtake two cyclists using the road, has gone viral..." more
- MA: Why Don't The Boston Police Report Traffic Crash Data?
- SC: Holy Spokes offering $5 one-year bike share
- AZ: Tucson police ID bicyclist who died
- CAN: Hundreds sign petition to save white aspen
- CA: Woman struck, killed by vehicle in San Clemente
- CAN: Calgary's newest bike-share seeing green due to high demand
- NY: Creating the Manhattan-to-Montauk trail
- MO: How a new greenway could be the answer to uniting St. Louis
Hit-and-Run Driver Injures Woman & Grandson
Philadelphia, PA - "...We pushed the button to cross the street. The cars on that side of the street had stopped. The next thing, I know we were on the ground..." more
Race not won for Rock Island Trail
MO - "With the Feb. 21 deadline approaching for the Missouri Department of Natural Resources to accept the Rock Island Railroad corridor, the DNR has submitted an 180-day extension request for more time." more...
- TX: Fort Worth’s bike share program is flat
- CAN: Standard bike lane design needed
- CA: With bike lanes in place, project eyes longer-term improvements
- CAN: Is your neighbourhood missing a bike lane or crosswalk?
- AZ: Man dies from December bike collision
- NV: Vegas police arrest suspected DUI driver in fatal hit-and-run
- NYC: Safety concerns as NYC considers legalizing electric scooters
- TX: Man Seriously Injured on Northwest Austin Trail
- GA: Green bike lane might be good sign for future
- UK: More trails for mountain bikers in Blaenau Ffestiniog
Yellow Springs to Clifton Trail Concept
OH - "Funding and support are lining up to build a new bike trail that would connect the villages of Clifton and Yellow Springs." more...
More Ohio Multi-Use Trails Being Cleared in Winter
OH - "Surveying Central Ohio Greenways jurisdictions and their travelers re their winter season trail maintenance practices and experiences. From recent casual observations and shared info we've seen shared-use paths routinely plowed!.." more
B&O Trail gets $1,000 Donation
Structure Near Bike Trail Torched
Open House for OTE Trail Segment
Sunbury, OH - "...Those who attend can comment on the project that would pave a 750 foot segment of the Ohio Fallen Heroes Multi-use Trail in Sunbury..." more
Huge Riverfront Park Planned
IN - "...Clarksville also aims to connect neighborhoods by completing a rails-to-trails path on a 1 ½-mile abandoned CSX rail bed, linking it to the greenway and ultimately the park." more...
Towns Get Grants to Improve Trails, Walkability
PA - "Four Bucks County towns were among 11 communities statewide awarded grants earlier this month toward planning for more pedestrian-friendly streets." more...
American Roads are Dangerous by Design
"...In the past decade, the number of people struck and killed while walking increased by 35 percent..." more
New Study of E-Scooter Injuries
"How dangerous are e-scooters? The question has become pressing as they’ve proliferated all over the country, and researchers are scrambling for answers." more...
NYC - "Folding bike, e-bike and scooter shop NYCeWheels has permanently closed its storefront but is still operating online, according to its website..." more
- VA: Trail in Lynchburg received some TLC from furloughed government workers
- FL: Neighbors don't want Pinellas Trail extension in their backyards
- MA: Rail trail wrangling in Wellfleet
- TX: Coppell Bike Lane installation expected to begin this summer
- OR: Bicycle rider injured in right hook collision on SE 7th at Hawthorne
- TX: Big improvements unveiled for 9 beloved Austin trails and parks
- VA: Construction starts on Northend Greenway project
- CA: Cyclists Dismiss Idea For Cars Using Bike Lane On Bridge
- CAN: Vancouver pushing forward with Granville Bridge bike lanes & walking path
- NYC: Why de Blasio won’t punish vehicles clogging bike lanes
- OR: Police stopped 34 people during a ‘crosswalk enforcement mission’
Wasson Way to Connect Cincinnati Neighborhoods
Norwood, OH - "...The bike trail connects Cincinnati neighborhoods, and now it's expanding into Norwood." more...
Hockhocking Adena Bikeway High Water Alert
Friends of Madison County Trails Update
OH - "...Here are just a few of the recent happenings and such to help keep you up to date." more...
County Wins Grant to Complete Trail Extension
Otsego County, MI - "Otsego County was recently awarded a $200,000 Iron Belle Challenge Grant through the Department of Natural Resources to be used to extend the Iron Belle Trail from Waters south to the Crawford County line." more...
Forsbergs Donate $10K to Complete Rail-Trail Gap
MI - "...Marguerite had expressed to her family some time before she had passed, that she wished she had enough money to fix the “gap” in the trail..." more
Cyclist Attacks Driver & Vehicle
NYC - "...When the driver got out of his car to avoid the shattered glass, the man hit him in the head and back with the bicycle lock..." more
Enthusiasm for Rock Island Trail Remains Strong
MO - "Enthusiasm continues to build in favor of the Rock Island Trail, says Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) as the Missouri Department of Natural Resources and Missouri Central Railroad, a subsidiary of Ameren, Inc., continue to negotiate the details of a long-awaited railbanking agreement for the 144-mile railroad corridor." more...
Children Carry On Father's Bike Business
CA - "Two children of innovative bike designer Dan Hanebrink, who died of natural causes in late December at age 80, are continuing to serve Hanebrink Bikes' existing customers with service and replacement parts..." more
- CAN: Parks Canada puts brakes on Icefields Parkway bike trail
- NY: Bike lane, sidewalk cleanup in Sunnyside
- MD: What’s going on with Baltimore’s bike master plan?
- TX: Dallas gives thumbs up to bike lanes on a major east-west street
- CAN: Though half don't drive, 'few' women cycle in Scarborough
- FL: County, state agree on path forward for Legacy Trail extension
- NY: Woodstock OKs $309K for Noonday Creek Trail engineering
- CA: Pedal Movement Awarded $1.3 Million to Operate Long Beach Bike Share
- EURO: Zoov raises $6.8M to expand its European electric bike-sharing service
- NYC: City raises concerns over e-bike, scooter legislation
- ID: Greenway continues to beautify Pullman
- OK: City Of Yukon Breaks Ground For New Bike Trail
- TN: Thousands of Old Tires to be Made into State Park Trail
- FL: Make Tampa Bay region safer for walkers and cyclists
- CA: Police seek man suspected of groping women on Stevens Creek Trail
- NH: Local communities get $1.7M for 'alternative transportation projects'
- WA: Bicycle Parking at UW Station Sucks
Flooding on Stark County Trails
Stark County, OH - Including this report on the Ohio & Erie Towpath Trail - "Numerous areas are under water after recent rains and snow and ice melting. Water is still rising in parking areas and in low areas." more...
Brunswick Looking to Extend Plum Creek Park Trail
OH - "The city of Brunswick is seeking an Ohio Department of Natural Resources grant to extend the walking trail at Plumb Creek Park north, nearly to Laurel Road." more...
Cincy Plan to Boost Pedestrian Safety
Cincinnati, OH - "Mayor John Cranley recently outlined the city's efforts to prevent crashes involving pedestrians — from legislation that would allow volunteer crossing guards to big shifts in the way the city approaches traffic safety." more...
CoGo Ridership Down in 2018
Columbus, OH - "2018 saw the first significant decline in CoGo ridership since the bike share system was established in 2013..." more
Delray Beach will Keep Trees, Forego Bike Lanes
FL - "...A state Department of Transportation plan had proposed removing more than 100 trees from the road, adding bike lanes and improving drainage. Neighbors voiced their opposition..." more
Cars & Trucks Driving in Bike Lane
NYC - "School buses turn a service road into a parking lot during the morning drop-off on a busy stretch of Queens Boulevard at Jacobus Street. That prompts motorists to go rogue and drive in the protected bike lane..." more
Great American Rail-Trail Would Span 4,000 Miles
"Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) today announced its vision for the Great American Rail-Trail, an unprecedented commitment to creating an iconic piece of American infrastructure that will connect nearly 4,000 miles of rail-trail and other multiuse trails from Washington, D.C., to Washington State." more...
Pedestrian Deaths Continue to Climb
U.S. - "...Over the past decade, pedestrian fatalities have happened at a rate of 13 per day..." more
New Tool Gives Cities a Clearer Picture of Bikes, Peds Data
U.S. - "A new transportation analytics tool by StreetLight Data allows cities to view a detailed look at all biking and pedestrian trips." more...
Uber Working on Autonomous Scooters & Bikes
"Sounds cool, but it’s ultimately probably a really bad idea." more...
- NE: Trail Links To Steamboat Trace
- IA: Money secured to repair creek bridge along nature trail
- MA: Proponents outline next steps for Greenway over tunnel cap
- ID: $250K in grants could allow foundation to connect south and north Pocatello
- NJ: Northern Valley Greenway trail plans
- IRE: Call for greater links between Greenway and Kildare village
- VA: Proposal to block Brook Road bike lane
- OR: Blazing a new trail
- CA: Chula Vista City Council OK's Scooter, Bike Share Pilot
- UK: Smartphone bike hire scheme for York grinds to a halt
- AUS: Australia's bike sharing market
- MN: Most bicycle crashes occur on a small number of streets
- CO: Denver’s traffic-death report card
- MN: Detroit Lakes police chief suspended for actions over bike incident
Phase 2 of Wasson Way Coming
Cincinnati, OH - "...The trail currently stretches a little over half a mile, from Madison Avenue in Hyde Park to Tamarack Avenue. Phase two will run from Tamarack to Montgomery Road, adding another 0.7 miles to the trail." more...
VeoRide Bikes find a Home on WKU's Campus
KY - "...The bikes, which arrived on campus a week before the end of the fall 2018 semester, are similar to Bird scooters and other ride sharing programs, allowing students to pick up and drop off the bikes at any location..." more
Moose Carcass Near Trail Fuels Controversy
AK - "A moose carcass discarded near a bike trail along the Old Glenn Highway has been removed." more...
Advocates Rally Outside 'The View''
NYC - "...'Traffic violence is a preventable public health crisis and Whoopi Goldberg is misusing her huge megaphone and sharing incorrect information,' said Amy Cohen, whose 12-year-old son Sammy Cohen Eckstein was killed by a driver in 2013..." more
- MA: New phase of Haverhill rail trail chugging along
- CA: Don't bail on the Vine Trail
- WA: Can I take an abandoned Lime bike to the dump?
- AUS: Lessons from Australia’s first e-scooter sharing trial
- IA: Money raised to repair Wolf Creek trail bridge
- WA: Community advised to help keep Yakima Greenway clean
- WA: Greenway seeks grant funding to build three new segments of trails
- NY: Greenway funds approved for rails-to-trails project
- MO: Chouteau Greenway project aims to knit St. Louis neighborhoods together
Beltline Bike Path Construction Coming This Year
Hamilton, OH - "Construction will start this year on the 2.96-mile Beltline bicycling/hiking path on Hamilton’s West Side..." more
Road Diet Doing its Job
Columbus, OH - "...Indianola Avenue, however, has stayed on its “road diet” for a year and half now." more...
MLK Speech Noted on Belton Trail
TX - "The words of Martin Luther King Jr.’s 'I Have a Dream' speech dotted the Nolan Creek Hike and Bike Trail for five days leading up to the holiday honoring the civil rights icon." more...
Bike Numbers Spike During Viadoom
Seattle, WA - "...Use of the city’s bike routes dramatically increased after the Alaskan Way Viaduct was closed on Jan. 11 — despite cold temperatures and some rain at times..." more
Autonomous Bikes & Scooters?
"Uber is looking to integrate autonomous technology into its bike and scooter-share programs." more...
- NY: Frankfort village board OKs trail agreement
- NC: Chapel Hill gets the wheels turning on new bike paths
- CA: Downey to launch bike share program this week
- AK: Proposed mountain bike trail in the Chester Creek greenbelt
- MA: Taunton bike path on track
Snow Removal on Columbus Area Trails
OH - "Many Greenway Trails had snow removed earlier today [1/20/19] thanks to Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks crews..." more
Updating the Lake County Bike Map
OH - "The Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency is holding community meetings for input to update the Lake County Bike Map, last done in 2011." more...
City Considers Bicycle Playground for Youngsters
Sharon, PA - "The Sharon Recreation Commission is on its way to adding another component to the Valley’s growing cycling repertoire." more...
Welcome to Bike 3.0
"To recap Part One, the history of the US bike business post-WWII can be divided into three phases..." more
Bike Sharing Almost a 'No-Brainer' for Windsor
CAN - "A long-contemplated municipal bike share program — once considered expensive and financially risky — can now be done at little or no cost to city taxpayers..." more
- AUS: Bike share operators face tougher fines
- IRE: Cork bike share scheme gears up to expand
- CAN: City plans to spend $6.5M on cycling projects this year
- CAN: Community cycling hubs get things rolling for biking advocates
- OR: Residents wary of street where Eugene pedestrian was killed Thursday
- CA: Bicyclist killed on Highway 101 in Corte Madera
- CO: Rio Grande Trail campaign
- ID: SUV runs over Boise cyclist then speeds off
- IRE: Rail Corridor analysis won’t be completed for at least another year
- UK: Plans for first phase of ambitious cycle route in Wharfedale submitted
Camp Chase Trail Alert
Severe Weather Closures
Summit County, OH - "Due to severe weather, the F.A. Seiberling Visitors Center, Liberty Park Nature Center and Summit Lake Nature Center are CLOSED Sunday, January 20 and Monday, January 21. All programs are canceled. Parks remain open, but some parking lots may be inaccessible..." more
Driver Arrested for Critically Injuring Pedestrian
NY - "...Germain Selby, 39, of Rochdale was arrested on Jan. 18 and charged with failure to exercise due care and failure to yield to a pedestrian who had the right of way." more...
- CAN: Victoria tree advocates go out on a limb to stop city removing downtown aspen
- CA: New multi-use trail proposal raises support and concern
- CA: Napa's Ridge Trail still taking shape after 30 years
A Cordial Meeting on Proposed Solon Trail
Solon, OH - "Disagreement remains on whether or not the proposed Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail should be built." more...
Stay Alert on the Monon Trail
Broad Ripple, IN - "...He pulled his bike back and threw it into mine, and so that knocked me off my bike. I went over my handlebars." more...
Groups Urge City to Move Forward with Trail
NC - "The City of Charlotte needs more money for a promised 26-mile pedestrian and bicycle trail from Pineville to UNC Charlotte – approximately $77 million..." more
Mom Pushes Back on Whoopi's Bike Lane Gripes
NYC - "...It’s devastating to hear someone with such a big megaphone complaining about protected bike lanes..." more
Related: Andrew Cuomo also blames bike lanes for congestion. more...
Engineering Group Takes on High Speed Limits
"...The National Committee on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, a powerful group of engineers, voted last week to require city transportation officials to consider 'pedestrian and bicycle activity' when determining the speed limit on most urban and suburban streets. The changes will be incorporated into the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices..." more
Recalls Not Announced During Partial Gov't Shutdown
D.C. - "...The employees are working only on recalls of products that 'create a substantial and immediate threat to the safety of human life,' according to the memo." more...
EU Imposes Stiff Anti-Dumping Duties on Chinese E-Bikes
BEL - "As expected, the European Union has imposed duties on Chinese-made electric bicycles and e-bike components destined for the European Union." more...
- AR: Conway to extend trail after it receives grant
- CA: Liability issues endanger Vine Trail vision
- D.C.: Contentious meeting about Dupont bike lane
- VA: More bike lanes heading to Ocean View
- CAN: Mature tree to make way for bike lanes in the heart of Victoria’s Inner Harbour
- IL: CDOT Installs Posts to Deter Parking in Washington Bike Lane
- AL: State’s first regional bikeshare opens in Calhoun County
- CAN: Lime Calgary ridership pedals past expectations in bike share pilot
- NY: Carey Institute to use $10K grant for rural-urban connections
- CA: Concerns raised over proposed bike path
- GA: Agreement could extend greenway through Oconee Hill Cemetery
- IRE: Council rejects calls for CCTV on Greenway
- NM: 'Regular guy' killed by bicycle thief on Central Ave
Lime Might Find a Home in Worthington
OH - "After a successful six-month trial, Worthington might have a permanent bike-sharing service." more...
Is Traverse City Bucking a Trend?
MI - "Fewer people are riding their bikes to work, but according to Julie Clark, executive director for TART Trails, Traverse City might be bucking that national trend. more...
Ann Arbor Plans Network of Protected Bike Lanes
MI - "Ann Arbor will begin construction on its first protected two-way bike lane this spring." more...
City Funds Next Phase of State Street Revitalization
Columbus, IN - "...A 10-foot-wide multi-use trail will be added at the back of the Third Street curb, in addition to pedestrian lighting, a two-foot-wide brick shy zone similar to what is already on State Street and a brick gateway node..." more
Schuylkill Greenways Launches Updated Website
Pottstown, PA - "...The renovated 'schuylkillriver.org' now encompasses two websites into one, with bonus features." more...
Lakefront Trail Separation Creates Safer Environment
Chicago, IL - "...When 100,000 people share a narrow slab of pavement on an average summer weekend day, there are bound to be issues..." more
Dallas Bike Share Seems to Have Increased Bike Deaths
TX - "A riddle: What happens when you cram more bicyclists onto streets without bike lanes?" more...
DeVos Recovering from Bicycle Accident
D.C. - "Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is in a wheelchair as she recovers from a recent bicycle accident that broke her pelvis and hip socket." more...
Hitman Cyclist Sentenced for Murders
UK - "A British cyclist, runner, and mob hitman has been convicted of the murders of two rival gangsters, in part because of his GPS watch." more...
- NYC: Whoopi Goldberg's take on NYC Bike Lanes
- CA: Not all Santa Cruzans ‘jumping’ for joy with bike share
- CAN: Bike share no solution for transit gaps in Edmonton winters
- CA: Pace Bike Share Program Ribbon Cutting at Iron Horse Trailhead
- FL: Final segment complete in bike trail between St. Johns, Putnam counties
- IL: Troy- O’Fallon Bike Trail expected summer of 2019
- AZ: Uber announces JUMP bike, scooter sharing program in Scottsdale, Mesa
- OR: Finalized funding list for Safe Routes to School projects
- NV: 5 traffic deaths in one weekend in Las Vegas
Grant Sought for B&O Trail Connector
Mansfield, OH - "The City of Mansfield is applying to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for a 2019 Clean Ohio Trail Fund grant to build a 1.13-mile bike trail..." more
Sugarcamp Mountain Trail Receives Expansion Grant
Floyd County, KY - "The Sugarcamp Mountain Trail is about 20 miles long and counting." more...
Newest Segments of East Coast Greenway
"The number of miles of East Coast Greenway built as safe, off-road paths jumped in 2018 by 44.4 miles. The 24 new segments are found in 10 states, Maine to Florida..." more
Driver Offers "Apology" for Hitting 10-Year-Old Bicyclist
"Julian Moore, 10, was upset and insulted by the nonapology..." more
Driver Slams into Cycling Celebrity
"A new video making the rounds in Spain shows just how scary it can be when cyclists must share the road with distracted drivers." more...
We Need Walkable, Wheelable, Scooterable Cities
"Fewer people are walking and more people are voting with their gas pedal." more...
- CA: Pedestrians deaths surge in San Diego in 2018
- NC: ‘Vision Zero’ plan proposes speeding cameras in Charlotte
- NYC: Whoopi Goldberg slams Bill de Blasio over NYC bike lanes
- BEL: How Mobiel 21 is growing the bicycle culture in Belgium
- FL: Orlando painting dockless parking boxes
- TN: Big River Crossing quarterly data reveal increase in bike riders
- MA: Wareham Selectmen mull ditching Bike Path Committee
- CA: Oakland’s Saddest Bike Path
- NJ: ‘Super Bikeway’ Sought
- MN: Baxter City Council looks at pedestrian bridge options
2019 Ohio-to-Erie Trail Maps Available
OH - "...Published in 2019, the entire 326-mile route is shown including mileage and necessary road routes and services..." more
Richland County Parks Hires B&O Trail Manager
Fatal Ohio Bike Crashes in 2018
"...2018 was unusual in a number of ways. First, the location of the fatal crashes was unusual..." more
Plans for Joe Louis Greenway to be Presented
Detroit, Mi - "The Joe Louis Greenway, a 31.5-mile loop of connected trails, made our list of the most exciting developments of 2019..." more
Read the latest edition.
Making Cook County Trails More User Friendly
IL - "...Known as 'wayfinding,' the idea is to provide trail users with more information through signs and other methods to create a strong first impression and increase use." more...
Ghost Bike Removal Causes Controversy
"A homeowner removed a ghost bike from an adjacent public road. The vitim's mother wants it returned." more...
Are Bike Activists Selling Out?
"...As companies like Uber, Lyft, Lime, Bird, and Spin bring the ways of tech to bikes and scooters, they have recruited former cycling, street safety, and urbanism advocates to help them out..." more
People-Before-Cars Transpo Alliance Launches
"The New Urban Mobility alliance – NUMO for short – has been launched today in Washington, D.C..." more
E-Bike Battery Fires Cause Concerns
"...The expert is quoted as saying that Lithium-Ion batteries are, 'rather unreliable, rather explosive. You are never sure if or when they will explode'..." more
New Segway Electric Scooters
"The scooters were designed specifically for sharing services." more...
Transit Pods -- a Sign of Things to Come?
St. Louis, MO - "This is probably what the future looked like when you thought about it as a kid -- lightweight pods zipping people around the city on elevated ribbons called podways." more...
- OR: Crescent Park Greenway project underway
- TN: City approves resolution for Maryland Farms Greenway Trail project
- IRE: Ring announces €800,000 for Greenway developments
- NC: Local volunteers clean up storm damage on Vaughn Creek Greenway
- IRE: Royal Canal Greenway cycle route emerging
- GA: AU begins bike-sharing program called JagRide
- CA: Rail Trail Breaks Ground As Key Vote Looms
- CAN: Objecting to next phase of Belleville’s bike trail
- NY: Rochester bike projects roll on
- WA: Bike commutes appear to spike after viaduct closure
- TX: Make room for scooters, electric bikes on some Austin trails
- CA: Thieves swipe Urban Arrow cargo bikes
Opposed to Development Next to Red Line Greenway
Cleveland, OH - "...I'm very much in favor of dense, urban development. But dense transit-oriented development only works when balanced with accessible green space." more...
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
U.S. Bike Route 23 in Kentucky
Gasgow, KY - "...U.S. Bike Route 23, which includes Mammoth Cave National Park, is 118 miles in length." more...
Insane Driver Runs Over Cyclist
"An Illinois judge found a hit-and-run driver not guilty of attempted murder by reason of insanity." more...
Bike Share Input Mostly Ignored in NYC, Chicago
"When New York and Chicago decided to expand their public bike share systems a few years back, city officials tried to go about it democratically..." more
E-Scooters are a Game Changer
"...We reached out to key bike advocates in Kansas City, Baltimore and Nashville to get a sense of just how big of an impact e-scooters have made in their cities..." more
The Limits of Autonomous Vehicles
"...Waymo’s CEO, John Krafcik, has admitted that a self-driving car that can drive in any condition, on any road, without ever needing a human to take control... will basically never exist..." more
Braking Issue with Lime E-Scooters
"...News broke over the weekend that Lime is pulling all of its e-scooter fleet from Switzerland, after reports came in about people being injured after multiple scooters abruptly braked on their own." more...
How Chinese Bike Share Crashed & Burned
"In a nation once known for cycling, hundreds of thousands of abandoned bikes now litter cities." more...
- MN: YIMBYs — ‘yes in my back yard’ — challenge St. Paul housing, biking, status quo
- TN: 23 pedestrians killed in Nashville, community gathers
- NY: Does NYC Need A 'Bike Mayor'?
- CAN: Vancouver bike share age limit lowered
- OR: Parks bureau will begin paving key section of ‘Sellwood Gap’
- OR: Another student hit by a driver near Harriet Tubman Middle School
- VA: Fredericksburg to add bike path, links to city's popular trails
- IA: Committee eager for SL bike routes, park development
- GA: Additional section of Cricket Frog Trail paved
- WA: Seattle bike share programs show infrequent helmet use
- NLD: Amsterdam e-bike sharing startups to get €1.2M subsidy from Brussels
Cost & Use of Trails Discussed
Goshen, IN - "A fold-out brochure that contains maps of the bicycle and multi-use routes and trails in Michiana, stirred emotions Saturday morning at the Elkhart County Council meeting." more...
E-Bike Catches Fire During Ride
AUS - "An Adelaide man has had a lucky escape after the lithium battery on his electric bike exploded." more...
- CT: New London obtains money for new walking and biking trail
- IRE: Cork County Council to vote on €15m greenway
- NH: Bike-hike trail on Amherst
- MA: Wellfleet rail trail extension design draws petitioners
Winter Maintenance on the Cannonball Trail
NW OH - "Clearing down[ed] tree on north fork today..." more
Cyclists Killed on Highway 30
OR - "...40-year-old Dustan Thompson was driving a semi-truck (without a trailer attached) southbound on the highway (toward Portland) in the rightmost lane when he collided with 54-year-old Scottie Graser. Graser was riding in the same direction..." more
Trail Users Ignoring Hunting Notices
NY - "The recreation trail at the Calverton Enterprise Park is closed this month for deer hunting season — but town officials are having a hard time keeping bicyclists and hikers off the trail..." more
Bike Lane Sabotage Continues to Spread
Manhattan, NY - "...On Thursday, police say someone intentionally sprinkled shards of glass for blocks and blocks - on the brand new bike lanes on 12th and 13th Streets, which move crosstown through the Village." more...
Getting Cars Out of Bike Lanes
- LA: Bike-share program closer to reality in Baton Rouge
- TX: VeoRide bicycles arrive on Texas A&M campus
- NY: A 2019 transportation wish list for Staten Island
- TX: Cyclist death prompts road safety discussion
- NY: Greenway panel to vote on funds for two Niagara Falls park projects
- MO: Future safety island to be built on Frisco Trail crossing
- MS: Master plan unveiled for walking, biking trails in Jackson County
Little Miami Scenic Trail Section Work Complete
Junior Ranger Pitches in to Keep CVNP Clean
Stow, OH - "Some people enjoying the Cuyahoga Valley National Park during the partial government shutdown have forgotten to 'leave no trace,' but a junior ranger is on patrol removing their litter." more...
Towns get Trail Grants for 19 Projects
CT - "The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has awarded over $3 million in grants for 19 projects to enhance trails and greenways in towns throughout the state..." more
Residents Prepare to Fight Development near Greenway
Murfreesboro, TN - "A group of nearly 60 concerned Murfreesboro residents challenging a housing development proposal that would be built near the city's greenway..." more
Death of Bike Commuting Exaggerated
"Though fewer americans biked to work in 2017 compared to previous years, bike commuting is still way up in the last decade." more...
- TX: Ofo bicycles picked up in Bryan and College Station
- TX: Downton-museum district bike route blueprint
- CA: Santa Cruz trestle widening hailed as first Coastal Rail Trail segment
- CO: Rico Trails Alliance cycles through a hefty to-do list
- CT: Groups band together to form Eastern Riverina Rail Trail Alliance
- GA: Norcross awarded funds to begin Beaver Ruin Greenway
- OR: Help us find the person throwing nails in the Interstate Avenue bike lane
- OR: Better Naito will return three months early this year
Franklin Seeking Grant for Trail Extension
Driver Pleads Guilty in Fatal Crash
Elyria, OH - "An Amherst man pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in connection with a crash in which a bicyclist was struck and killed in October 2017." more...
Did You Know that Bike Licenses are Required in Stow?
OH - "Stow council member at-large Mike Rasor said he’s been breaking the law -- he and thousands of other residents who live in the city of Stow." more...
$150K Settlement Expected in Apparatus Crash
Dayton, OH - "In 2015, a then-18-year-old bicyclist was hit by and trapped under a Dayton Fire Department apparatus. Now, the city is expected to settle a civil lawsuit by the bicyclist." more...
A Case for Bike Commuting in Seattle
WA - "There's definitely not going to be anything convenient about the upcoming Seattle Squeeze..." more
Residents Call for More Bike Lanes
Hampton, VA - "There's a growing concern among drivers in Hampton and York County about an increase in cyclists on a busy stretch of road." more...
1st Greenway Sweep of the Year
Medford, OR - "With a new year sometimes comes new beginnings, but for the City of Medford, 2019 looks to provide more of the same — in the form of periodic sweeps of the Bear Creek Greenway." more...
Are National Parks Closed During Shutdown?
U.S. - "...unlike in October 2013, when an Obama-era impasse resulted in a 16-day shutdown, the gates to national parks across the country have remained open. Parking lots aren’t barricaded and trailheads aren’t blocked..." more
Anatomy of an Electric Scooter Crash
"...What happens when a new mobility mode meets the American legal system?" more...
Paris will Roll Out Free Transit
FRA - "Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo... wants to make it easier for kids and families to travel the city sustainably by using transit or bike share." more...
- OR: Rogue River Greenway Trail construction to begin this summer
- IRE: County Councils’ Grand plans for Canal Greenway
- FL: County approves bike trail
- GA: Two new PATH trails will serve Emory campus
- CO: EPCC improves bike infrastructure in town
- ND: Traffic deaths declined in North Dakota in 2018
- OR: Portland moves forward with neighborhood greenway projects
- WA: Want some company biking downtown?
- AL: Unique bicycle stolen
- UK: Government Investment In Cycling Through New Market Data Service
South Old State Road Sidepath Construction
Columbus, OH - "...Newest addition along west side of South Old State Road - between Wilshire/Gladshire Blvd, E. Powell, Polaris, Wystone Dr." more...
Sparks Fly in Debate Over Electric Bicycles
NYC - "As the city’s bicycle culture continues to grow, electric bikes remain a flashpoint regarding pedestrian safety and which types of e-bikes – and what type of speed — should be allowed." more...
Bird Ends Bike Lane Subsidy
"The scooter company Bird has quietly abandoned its much-hyped plan to give cities $1 per scooter per day to build bike infrastructure..." more
Ofo Dismantles Overseas Business Unit
Shanghai - "Multiple Asian news sites are reporting that bike share giant Ofo has dissolved its overseas business unit, retreating from operating in the U.S., Hong Kong, Singapore and France." more...
- WA: Seattle highway shutdown
- OR: Showdown looms for major bike parking policy update
- WA: Waterfront bike routes will remain open during upcoming SR 99 closure
- CA: Joshua Tree park remaining open despite government shutdown
- FL: Bike-sharing program coming to Anna Maria Island
- CO: Breckenridge officials see path for e-bikes (but not scooters) in town’s future
- MA: Here’s how Massachusetts plans to be more bike-friendly
- AUS: Canberra's dockless share bikes set to roll
- NC: Middle Fork Greenway eyes halfway point by summer 2020
- NY: Funding allows DL&W Greenway and Linear Park to Commence
- CT: New London To Receive State Grant For Greenway Project
- WI: Summer work will hamper key bike route
- CA: Bike, Pedestrian, and Transit Projects Garner Top Engineering Awards
- MN: Winona approves plan for upgrading bluff trails
Trails Highlight Park District Accomplishments
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...Two of the most exciting multi-use trail accomplishments of the 2018 season included clearing the last section the HOOT (Heart of Ohio Trail) from Huffman Road to the Knox/Licking County line, which can now be mountain biked or hiked, and the completion of the Mohican Valley Trail repaving project from the Bridge of Dreams to the Knox/Holmes to the Knox/Holmes County line..." more
Related: Read the latest edition of the Knox County park newsletter.
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Development
Bike Left for a Christmas Gift
Bay Village, OH - "On Dec. 25, an officer reported that a bicycle had been left by the pedestrian door on the west side of the police station..." more
Victim's Mother Wants Justice
Warren, OH - "...Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins and Miriam Fife have worked together to see justice done in the murder of Fife’s son, Raymond, since September 1985, when Raymond, 12, was brutally murdered as he rode his bicycle to a Boy Scouts meeting." more...
Philly's Plan for Safer Residential Streets
PA - "From more than 20 Slow Zone applications, just two will be chosen for the pilot." more...
Bikes Rescued from Recycling Bin
Erie, PA - "Many seemingly good bicycles were discovered in a recycling bin at Erie's Salvation Army store in Summit Twp." more...
Former Uber Driver Pleads Guilty to Killings
MI - "A former Uber driver charged with killing six people during an hours-long shooting rampage in Michigan nearly three years ago, pleaded guilty to all charges on Monday..." more
Group Crowdfunds for New Bike Trail
Roanoke, VA - "A Roanoke Cycling group is working to get new bike trails in the city and they've turned to crowdfunding to raise money for the project." more...
Nails in the Bike Lane
Portland, OR - "...The case of nails being strewn in the bike lane on North Interstate Avenue has gone unsolved for years. Now the police and a city commissioner are on the case." more...
What's Next for Walking & Biking in the U.S?
"In 2019, our movement of biking advocates will have several opportunities to create a more Bicycle Friendly America on Capitol Hill and through local partners at the community level..." more
- MA: Boston bombing survivor hit by car
- GA: Atlanta passes new e-scooter law
- OR: Scooters back in the news: Bird in Salem and Portland
- WA: Bellevue is creating a Vision Zero action plan
- ID: E-bikes, scooters on a path to all paths in Moscow this spring
- VA: First Dockless Scooter Permit Approved In Alexandria
- TX: OjO's sit-down scooter-share debuts in Austin
- MN: 3 arrested for bike trail murder
- FL: Alachua County approves bid for rail-trail land
- IA: Warm Winter Weather Could Mean More Money For Central Iowa Trail
- NC: Landis passes on $3.9 million greenway project
- IRE: Offaly's Grand Canal Greenway gets huge €400k funding boost
- NC: Charlotte $77 million short for 26-mile greenway project
Funding Could Close Olentangy Trail Gap
Columbus, OH - "...The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission on Dec. 18 released a list of proposed new transportation projects around central Ohio that could receive federal funding. That list included nearly $3.5 million to close the Clintonville gap in the Olentangy Trail..." more
Teen Cyclist Hit by Driver, Seriously Injured
The Plains, OH - "A 15-year-old boy suffered serious injuries Saturday after being hit by a car on Ohio Rt. 682, just outside The Plains, while riding his bicycle." more...
Detroit Bike & Trail Projects for 2019
MI - "...In 2019, there will be an 'overwhelming' amount of bike and trail projects throughout the city, according to Detroit Greenways, a nonprofit organization that promotes biking, walking, tails and complete streets in Detroit." more...
New Transport App Launches
"...the app launched in 15 cities around the world, including Los Angeles, with plans to add about five cities a month." more...
Why Pedestrians ‘Break the Rules’
"...They’re more likely engage in risky behavior — like walking or rolling in the street or crossing mid-block — when the pedestrian infrastructure is incomplete or lacking." more...
China Elevates Bike Lanes
CHN - "...In the southern Chinese city of Xiamen, a visionary solution to the problem is the Bike Skyway, which enables cyclists to literally soar over cars and pedestrians on the street below." more...
Dutch Cycle Lane Hell
"Police union chief says it is impossible to keep lanes safe due to variety of vehicles and rules." more...
- SC: Gotcha Launches First Campus Bike Share System
- TN: Clarksville BCycle celebrates third year
- MN: Open houses set for St. Paul off-street hike and bike trail designs
- NY: Kudos to Gov. Cuomo for rail trail
- DE: Phase II of the Lewes-Georgetown Trail
- IL: Why parts of the Pedway can be such a mess in the winter
- CA: Mayor’s Bonebreaking Bike Collision Was No ‘Accident’
- OR: TriMet does not recognize trike as mobility device
- D.C.: Policy change allows bike riders to bring bicycles on Metro trains
- UK: Brompton stockpiles £1m of bike parts
Richland B&O Trail Section Closure
Butler, OH - From facebook.com/slowrollmansfield/, "Purdy Construction is starting clearing the Butler bridge log jam today and will be there until about Wed. 1/09. The [.5-mile] section of trail from 97 to the bridge and the opposite side of the bridge from Butler will be blocked through that time."
Middle Neshaminy Greenway Trail Open House
Newtown, PA - "The proposed alignment of the Middle Neshaminy Greenway Trail... is underway, and the Bucks County Planning Commission wants the public’s input." more...
Florida’s Biking Problem
"...I just think the motorists are just too uneducated, too distracted, they drive too fast, and we allow a certain level of behavior on our roadways that consistently imperils the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians..." more
Raised Crosswalk Aggravates Drivers
CAN - "...These are generally located near schools and are walkable speed humps that are at the same grade as the sidewalk on either side of the street..." more
Welcome to Bike 3.0
"This is Part 1 of a two-part series exploring the new market dynamic for the specialty [bicycle] retail segment, how we got there, and how the industry can respond and adapt to the new reality..." more
- OR: Portland traffic fatalities drop, while state deaths rise
- CO: Denver sidewalks to start seeing upgrades
- GA: Uber launches electric bike service in Atlanta
- CO: Will Breckenridge backpedal on e-bikes?
- AR: Cycle track, new sidewalks planned for Maple Street
- MO: Area volunteers ready trails in preparation for spring
- NY: Trails are safer than abandoned rail beds
- MT: Man rescued after snow bike accident
- UT: Where are the most dangerous roads to bike in Utah?
Connecting Portage Bike Paths
Portage County, OH - "Could Mickey Marozzi, our Portage County engineer, be a key player in turning the county’s two parallel bike-friendly trails, the Headwaters and The Portage Hike and Bike Trail, into a true bicycle trail network?" more...
Road Rage Incident Lands Cyclist in Hospital
OH - "...Last July, they decided to take a ride along a road they've ridden dozens of times along Belpoint Road and Hinton Mills in Union County." more...
Did USA Today Publish Bad Numbers on Bay Area Cycling?
CA - "National newspaper writes that bicycle commuting dropped 19.9 percent in San Francisco... except that it didn't." more...
- OR: US judge rules against off-roading in Ochoco National Forest
- CAN: Bike-sharing firms slam door on Sault cyclists
- IRE: Greenway opportunity for Robertstown
- TX: We have a lot to accomplish in 2019
- ID: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Fremont County
Open House Event for New OTE Trail Section
Galena, OH - "Preservation Parks of Delaware County will hold a public open house and is seeking public comment on a proposed project to pave a 2.2-mile segment of the Ohio to Erie multiuse trail northeast of Sunbury..." more
Tree Removal on Heart of Ohio Trail
Knox County, OH - "Hardwick Tree Service will be working along the Heart of Ohio Trail this winter, removing trees that are too close to the blacktop, clearing lines of site at road intersections, and removing dead trees..." more
Stolen ToleGo Bike Found
Toledo, OH - "Police are still looking for a man who stole a ToleGo bicycle that was later found Friday evening." more...
More on New Ohio E-Bike Law
Winesburg, OH - "...starting next year, all E-bikes will be required to have prominently displayed labels." more...
Learn more about what e-bikes can do and how they may impact your local trails. more...
Meet America's New Rail-Trails of 2018
"This year was an exciting one for the rail-trail movement; as 2018 comes to a close, nearly 2,100 rail-trails are now open across the country..." more
Are E-Scooters a Threat to E-Bikes?
"Before I present my thoughts, it is only fair that I provide an introduction and confess..." more
- SGP: Ofo Singapore users complain of fewer bikes
- FL: Woman seriously hurt in scooter crash in Fort Lauderdale
- NC: City reopens greenway
- CT: Connecting a final gap along the Charter Oak Greenway
- VA: The bike trail that wasn’t
- VA: Master plan for Riverwalk connection
- MA: Assabet River Rail Trail will provide winter fun
- OR: A planned project could have prevented fatal collision
Construction Along Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "There will be construction occurring along the Olentangy Trail in the OSU section between Herrick Drive and King Avenue from January 7th thru January 31.
"The trail will not be closed. A temporary bypass path will be provided around the work site."
Uber Charging $25 to Use Bikes Outside of "Bike Zone"
Seattle, WA - "...The zone will expand and ultimately go away as Uber adds more bikes." more...
Parking in Protected Bike Lanes Poses Danger
CA - "...There are red curbs to deter cars, but people are still parking in the no parking zones." more...
New Law Affects Scooter, Bike Trails
CA - "New road rules went into effect Tuesday for drivers across the Central Coast and state of California with an emphasis on helmet use for motorized scooters as well as reporting hit-and-run collisions on bike trails." more...
Lessons From Once-Mighty Bike Share Giants
"...E-scooter companies would be wise to adopt a different business model instead of attempting to scale up rapidly..." more
Counting Bikes in the U.S.
"...A few months ago, in collaboration with the BFC, we conducted a survey to examine the current state of bicycle counting. The survey provided a timely and much needed understanding of the way communities across the country approach bike counting, including the challenges and opportunities they face." more...
Bike-Friendly Mayor Hurt in Car-Bike Collision
CA - "Sam Liccardo, the mayor of San Jose, California, was hospitalized with a broken sternum and vertebrae." more...
- NYC: Cuomo’s L-Train Bombshell Should Not Also Kill Bus and Bike Improvements
- CA: San Diego begins construction on protected bike lanes
- IRE: First section of Slieve Bloom Bike Trail opens
- MO: Work Begins On Connecting Grant’s Trail To River des Peres Greenway
- AL: City seeking input on cycling, greenway needs
- WA: Check Out What Seattle Did with a Dead-End Street
Towpath Flooding & Hunting Closures
Stark County, OH - From Stark Parks, "Flooding over the trail has closed several spots. Expect varying trail conditions at Lake Ave. in Massillon, north of Lake Lucerne near the Summit County line, and Wooster St. near Navarre.
"The Towpath Trail between Riverland Ave. and the Tuscarawas County Line (Rt. 212) will be closed due to hunting on nearby private property from Jan. 5 to 8, 2019."
2-Year-Old Struck by Driver on Sidewalk
Cincinnati, OH - "A 2-year-old boy is fighting for his life at Cincinnati Children's Hospital after he was hit by a truck on the sidewalk." more...
Becoming a Bike-Friendly Business
Cleveland, OH - "...Cyclists like to frequent businesses they identify as bike friendly, and prospective & current employees will view your company more favorably if you take a forward approach to integrating bicycles into your company culture." more...
Trash Problem at Cuyahoga Valley National Park
OH - "...Staff members are asking the public to pack their trash out with them instead of leaving it in the park until the [government] shutdown ends." more...
Metro Opens Door to Bikes During Rush Hour
D.C. - "...The policy change is the result of decades of advocacy by local bike advocates, dating back to a seminal protest at which cyclists carried cardboard bicycles aboard Metro trains to demonstrate that there was enough room..." more
Study Reveals Some Drivers Think They Own the Road
"This will come as a surprise to exactly no one who rides a bike, but there are some car drivers out there who don’t like cyclists. Like, really don’t like cyclists." more...
Planners Outline Bike Beltway Vision
D.C. - "Transportation planners are sketching out a vision to build out a fully connected regional bike trail network by 2045, linking a “Bike Beltway” around D.C. to the rest of the suburbs surrounding the capital." more...
Thief Tries to Steal Bike at Police Station
OR - "The would-be thief surrendered after an officer walked out the front door to confront him." more...
Airbnb-Style Bicycle Rental Platform
UK - "...What would be ideal would be the ability to hop on your own bike. This is often impossible so the next best thing would be to rent a lookalike – or even a superbike..." more
- CAN: I'll bet bike share could change the game in Edmonton
- WA: More bike racks coming to Ballard and Fremont in 2019
- FL: Lime E-Assist Bikes in Orlando Creates “Dockless” Experience
- VA: New year, old problems for Roanoke trails and greenways
- CO: Longmont's 2019 projects to include construction at city parks, greenways
- NM: Rio Grande trail project one step closer to completion
- OR: Plan for new bikeway and signal on Lombard
- WA: 2018 Seattle bike counts up 32 percent on 2nd Ave downtown
Westerville Northfield Pathway
Westerville, OH - "Future north/south trail corridor (~1,200 long) that's been partially blazed between Maxtown Rd and Westdale Ave in far north Westerville." more...
Pittsburgh Drafting AV Reporting Rules
PA "...Mr. Peduto thinks it’s reasonable for companies testing robot cars on city streets to report incidents that wouldn’t necessarily end up in a police report." more...
Landowners File Lawsuit Against Rock Island Trail
MO - "...Two lawsuits contend land owners adjacent to the corridor should be compensated..." more
Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars
Chandler, AZ - "...Some people have pelted Waymo vans with rocks, according to police reports. Others have repeatedly tried to run the vehicles off the road..." more
Bikes for Disabled People in Cardiff
UK - "People with disabilities will be able to hire specially adapted bikes around Cardiff via an app as a public cycle share scheme expands across the city." more...
- MN: St. Paul’s First-Ever Pedestrian Plan
- TX: San Antonio mayor’s transit plan
- LA: What’s next for New Orleans' bike lane network?
- WA:Seattle will get a major bike rack boost in 2019
- D.C.: The District’s long road to building a half-mile bike lane
- UK: Elan Valley Trust submit plans for more adventurous bike trails
- GA: New stretch of Pinhoti Trail opens near Cedartown
Plans for 'Hanging Rock' Marker along Bike Path
Chardon, OH - "...City Manager Randy Sharpe noted that the city obtained a grant to recognize 'Hanging Rock' with a historical marker. The site will be on the next portion of the Maple Highlands Trail south of the square. more...
Knox County Parks 2018 Recap
Mt Vernon, OH - "...Our interns hosted numerous programs from Birding by Kayak to Moonlit Miles on the bike trails and a band concert at Thayer Ridge Park..." more
Master Plan for 500-Mile Trail
Santa Fe, NM - "A master plan that charts out the next steps for developing a 500-mile trail along the Rio Grande from one end of New Mexico to the other has been adopted." more...
For more news, visit the 2018 Archive.