Regional, U.S. & International News
Towpath Trail Construction Updates
WKU Bike Share Eyes Expansion
KY - "After a fleet of bikes arrived this month on Western Kentucky University’s campus as part of a new way for students and staff to get around, the program is eyeing expansion into downtown Bowling Green." more...
Dad Confronts Bike Thief
Nitro, WV - "...Clark said he was on his way into work, just hours after the theft, when he saw that same suspect, in the same clothes, walking over the bridge with his daughter's bike." more...
The Rock Island Trail Would be Game-Changer
MO - "...The planned Rock Island Trail would intersect the Katy Trail, a popular 240-mile rail-trail route that traverses the rolling terrain along the Missouri River. It also would link up with a recently opened 47-mile segment, the Rock Island Spur of Katy Trail State Park, which connects the Katy Trail to the greater Kansas City area..." more
London's Cycling Action Plan
UK - "...This five-year plan sets out the timescale for tripling the number of protected cycleways since Khan came to office and also reveals new quality standards for cycling infrastructure." more...
Google Maps Recommending Lime Bikes Option
Seattle, WA - "Lime’s bikes and scooters now show up as a transit option in Google Maps in a select number of cities..." more
The Pedestrian Strikes Back
"Officials in several countries are getting the message: Cities are about people, not cars." more...
Panic Ensues Over Ofo Refunds
"Troubled bike-share startup Ofo, which has been quitting cities around the planet this year, has a fresh crisis – millions of people are demanding their deposits back." more...
- WA: Tents blocking sidewalks, steep sidewalk grades
- NY: Here’s a Solution for Fixing the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
- FL: Cardiologist killed by driver in Maitland bicycle crash
- UT: Teen arrested ifor breaking into business for 3rd time to steal a bike
- TX: Waco considers expanding bike sharing pilot program to include scooters
- TN: Phase I in Greenway Project gets state okay
- NC: Council: Build I-87 with bike trail
- KY: Mountain bike trail to be developed in Barren County
Water on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "The #HockingRiver is cresting this morning, and it is currently flooding the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway at the low culvert between Stimson Ave and the US33 overpass. The waters are predicted to recede and the path should be passable by tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018." more...
NCIT Clearing in Norwalk
New Trails & Bike Lanes Coming to Dayton
OH - "West Dayton has few bike lanes but some major projects in the works will make it easier to ride a bicycle there." more...
West Philly Residents Form Transit Task Force
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia continues to see more traffic deaths than any county in the state." more...
Changes Planned to Boost Bike Share Ridership
Lancaster, PA - "...The main problem, several would-be users told LNP, is the limited number of pick-up and drop-off locations..." more
Bird Scooters Taking a Bath
"Why do people keep throwing electric scooters into rivers and lakes?.." more
- GA: Wait is finally over for trail spanning Victory Drive in Columbus
- CAN: More bike lanes proposed
- WI: Historic Belleville train depot on its way to new life and use
- NC: Weather delays work on Wilson’s first greenway
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Totals
Urbana, OH - "...We are 'Over the Top' on the Honda of America paving challenge with a final amount donated by the November 30th deadline of $30,250.
"...[Honda's] $25,000 match brings the amount in the paving fund to $55,250 at the end of November..." more
New Opportunity for Marquette Greenway Funding
IN - "The Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission's hope for a federal grant to pay most of the cost of completing the Marquette Greenway was disappointed last week..." more
E-Scooters Normalize Scooting for Adults
NZL - "...While the lime scooter craze continues its popularity in Auckland and Christchurch, other Kiwis are opting for foot-powered scooters - including dusting off their childhood, metal-framed scooters for their commute." more...
- CO: Slow down on bike trail proposal
- MT: Trails, bike paths worth $2 a month
- IRE: Girl rushed to hospital after being hit by tree while cycling during storm
Towpath Section Closes Until Spring
Peninsula, OH - From NPS.gov, "The Towpath is closed between Deep Lock Quarry and Hunt Farm [in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park] for bridge replacement through early spring. There are no detours available."
Big Walnut Creek Trail Bridge Connector
Gahanna, OH - "New Big Walnut Creek Trail bridge connector between Ol Ridenour Rd (Gahanna golf course/Lower McCorkle Park) and E. Johnston Rd/Mill St at Cherrybottom Rd. 2018-2019 construction project..." more
Hoosier National Forest Trail Use Permits Available
IN - "The Hoosier National Forest, operated by the U.S. Forest Service, has more than 260 miles of recreational trails, spread over nine counties..." more
Striped Sign Poles in Seattle
"...When you approach an intersection in Seattle, the stripes immediately show you whether people entering the intersection from other directions must stop..." more
Suspect Held in Bike Test-Ride Thefts
CA - "Police here have arrested a suspect in a series of thefts at Southern California bike shops in which fake identification and credit cards were used to take high-end bikes out on test rides and never return them." more...
NABSA Includes Micro-Mobility Plans for 2019
"The North American Bike-share Association (NABSA) has unveiled its strategic vision for 2019, including plans to integrate shared micro-mobility options into its bike-shares." more...
- MD: Dockless Bike-Share Program Rolls into North Bethesda
- WA: Renton tables bikeshare program, for now
- CO: Man’s super app tracks Denver dockless bikes and scooters
- LA: Possible accidental delivery of Bird electric scooters has officials chirping
- OR: New diverters part of plan to keep drivers off side streets
- SD: E-Bikes Could Soon Hit the Sioux Falls Bike Path
- WA: Bellevue installs new bike-safe bus platform
- FL: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Alachua County
- WA: Missing Link megastudy did not adequately address economic concerns
Stage 1 Towpath Bridge Installed
Cleveland, OH - "Thursday morning crews installed a 211 foot, 211,000 pound galvanized steel truss bridge spanning the Cuyahoga River that passes under Harvard Rd..." more
Board Recommends $26M for Recreation Projects
Lansing, MI - "A state panel has recommended awarding $26 million in grants for outdoor recreation projects and land purchases." more...
Detroit to Spend More on Bike Lane Snow Removal
MI - "The city of Detroit increased its residential snow plowing budget by 20 percent and bought equipment to help keep protected bike lanes clear." more...
Trail in Development at Meyer Broadway Park
MI - "...St. Joseph County Parks and Recreation Department plans to put finishing touches on a seven-mile trail. It has been developed as a loop inside a forested section of Meyer Broadway Park in Fabius Township." more...
Scout Reserve Opens 35-mile Bike Trail System
WV - "Area mountain bikers will soon be able to ride the Summit-Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve’s 35-mile network of mountain bike trails, as well as a dual-slalom course, a skills park and a dirt-jump learning zone, during the months the Reserve is not being used for Scouting encampments." more...
U.S. Driving Schools to Teach "Dutch Reach"
"You’ve just parked your car. It’s time to open the door and get out. Which hand do you use to reach for the handle?" more...
U.S. Leads World in Traffic Deaths
"A new report on global traffic deaths illustrates exactly why the U.S. trails the developed world on traffic safety..." more
- CO: Bike lane controversy heats up in Colorado Springs
- OR: Let us take trikes on MAX
- WA: WSDOT is testing out a less bumpy gap cover on the 520 Bridge trail
- VT: Changing Mountain Bike Advocacy and Building a Ton of Trail in the Process
- VA: Court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail
- GA: Brookhaven begins work on Greenway’s ‘model mile’
- OR: Greenway Sweeps estimated to cost taxpayers $72,000 per year
- VA:City Reacts to News of Bike Trail Improvements
- IA: Officials vote to not allow road crossing at popular trail
- GA: CAT ending bike share program in new year
- KS: Fort Scott introduces new "Bike Share" program
- OR: Bike-share program logs nearly 150,000 miles in first six months
- CA: City Launches ‘Pace’ Bike Share Program
- CA: Ford GoBike adds e-bikes to East Bay fleet
- GA: Chatham Area Transit ending bikeshare program
Hit-and-Run Driver Hunted by FBI
"...The pursuit and arrest of Chan Reyes is notable not only because it spanned the globe, but because authorities don’t often go to such lengths when a cyclist is killed..." more
Concerns Raised about Self-Driving Program Before Fatal Collision
"An 890-word email was sent to Uber’s executives that raised safety concerns about the company’s autonomous vehicle program just days before an Uber vehicle killed a pedestrian in Arizona last March..." more
County Restricts Cannabis Operations Near Trails
CA - "...Supervisors’ unanimous vote made that policy official when it comes to buffers between county trails and pot businesses. The county now will require 1,000-foot setbacks from such trails..." more
- GA: Why are pedestrian and bicyclist deaths increasing in metro Atlanta?
- NM: City faces upwards of $400 million in needed sidewalk, curb repairs
- OR: Bird trying to get back on the street in Portland
- WA: Seattle Bike Advisory Board Chair dismissed by mayor
- FL: Pinellas County student hit by car while riding bike to school
- OR: Man, 87, reunited with stolen $2,700 bike
- CAN: Charrette to take place for the 100 Street Greenway
- CA: Jump Electric Bikes Inches into the Portola
- NE: See how much bike lanes cost vs. traffic lanes for Lincoln
- IA: Bicycles top of mind in Cedar Rapids plans
- CA: Community voices support, concerns on Mt. Tam e-bike use
- NC: Franklin looks at greenway connection
- IRE: Kilkenny Greenway will be link in regional chain
$340K Secured for Epic Trail Corridor
WV - "...[these funds] will specifically help acquire three segments of disused CSX corridor totaling 3.35 miles along a developing 150-mile stretch of rail-trail from Parkersburg to the state’s border with Pennsylvania." more...
Ann Arbor's Rapidly Shifting Mobility Landscape
MI - "This time last year, most Ann Arborites thought of scooters as a children's toy..." more
MoBo Providing Adaptive Alternative Bike Share Options
"...Programs in cities like Detroit have only recently started offering adaptive alternatives while cities like New York and Chicago don’t offer adaptive bikes..." more
Cycling Advocate Hit by Truck on Highway
CA - "A cycling safety advocate is in critical condition as a result of injuries she suffered when she was hit by a truck while biking in Encinitas." more...
Rails-to-Trails Call to Action
"America’s next great rail-trail could be a world-class tourism draw, connecting dozens of small towns and bringing millions of dollars to local communities.
"Or it could be lost forever, if officials turn down a historic offer to preserve this 144-mile rail corridor.
"Speak out now to help keep America’s next great rail-trail on track!" more...
- D.C.: Bicycling group wants to charge cars to enter the city
- CA: Cop Races Down Howard Bike Lane
- MA: Bike-sharing boomed in the Boston area in 2018
- CHN: GPS bike-share program in China credited with reducing gridlock and smog
- UK: Collaboration Is Key For Cardiff Bike Share Success
- CA: Mill Valley snags ‘bike-friendly’ designation
- CHN: Amid GDPR Probe, Mobike To Sell Europe Branch
- NV: Hundreds Of Rental Bikes In Reno To Hibernate For Winter
- MO: Archaeological Survey for Trail Project to Begin Soon
- KS: Sex offender arrested in homeless camp shooting near Wichita bike path
- VA: County Readies Update of Cycling Infrastructure Plans
- UT: Fishing line tripwire found on bike path
Ohio Passes E-Bike Law
Columbus, OH - "Gov. John Kasich has signed a bill making Ohio the 11th state with an e-bike law supported by the industry." more...
Girard Seeks Funding to Cleanup Leatherworks Site
Girard, OH - "...Mayor James Melfi said he would like to see the grant application moved froward, so the city can get a jump on the recreational projects it has planned, such as bike trails." more...
New Millworks Owners Putting Down Roots
New Walking/Biking Trail Planned for Bridgeport
WV - "...the city has received a $120,000 Transportation Alternative grant through... to design a 2 mile trail connecting the Bridgeport Outdoor Recreation Complex to Compton Park." more...
Robbery Suspects Getaway on Lime Bikes
Seattle, WA - "Local bikeshares are meant to make it more convenient for Seattleites to get around; even, apparently, when they need a getaway vehicle after a robbery." more...
Driver Tells Cyclist He Can Safely Use Phone, Then Crashes
UK - "A cyclist called out a man for using his phone while driving. Moments later, the driver—who had insisted he could drive safely while on his phone—crashed his car..." more
- WA: Man recovering from Harvard Ave E hit and run Friday
- MA: Valley Bike Share program wraps up first season, eyes expansion
- IA: Cedar Rapids bike share back on for May 2019
- IA: Mason City bike-share program experiences challenging first year
- LA: Scooters storm Lafayette
- TX: Ofo customers wonder if they'll get refunds after service shuts down
- AUS: Can Lime scooters do what o-Bike couldn’t?
- IRE: BleeperBike in crowdfunding debut
- MA: Paved path breaks ground on Watertown-Cambridge Greenway
- TN: Dayton greenway project put on hold
- CA: Palm Trees Removed to Preserve Historic Encinitas Rail Trail
Fairfield Plans to Extend Great Miami Bike Trail
Fairfield, OH - "...That includes extending the Great Miami River trail, which ends in Fairfield at Waterworks Park, through Marsh Park and connecting it to the Hamilton County’s portion of the trail just south of the park." more...
Canal Fulton Looks to Improve Accessibility, Connectivity
Canal Fulton, OH - "The city is conducting a study to review sidewalk needs, improve connections between neighborhoods, improve accessibility to trails and recreation areas and encourage the use of bicycles." more...
More Clark County Kids will get Bikes this Year
Springfield, OH - "...This week, the Salvation Army teamed up with Walmart and Rollins Moving and Storage to complete shopping for more than 150 bikes to be delivered to Clark County kids during the holidays..." more
Council Members Want Transit App
Cincinnati, OH - "Council members Tamaya Dennard and Greg Landsman want the city to study the possibility of creating a single app from which riders can select and pay for rides from SORTA, rideshare, bike-share and scooter rental companies." more...
A New Manassas, Safe for Bikes & Pedestrians
TN - "...Our priority was to create a safer street for all users – pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles — and we’re very proud of the results..." more
Strava Data Suggests Bike Commuting Boom
"30% increase in commuting sees North Americans ditch their cars in favor of the bicycle for smaller journeys..." more
- CA: San Jose mayor to scooter companies: innovate or get out
- VT: Green Mountain Club debuts digital download trail maps
- TX: New hike and bike trail open to the community
- CO: Completion of Fossil Creek Trail connects Fort Collins trail system
- MN: Battle Lake receives bike-friendly status
- WA: 2 major street projects go to rest for the winter
- EUR: Mobike faces probe by Berlin data protection regulator
- AR: Fayetteville Fully Focused On Cycling, Walking
Trailblazers in Monroe County
PA - "...Horan is pulling together decades of trail plans and maps, updating them, and identifying opportunities for connections..." more
Distracted Driver Kills Bicyclist
TN - "The Tennessee Highway Patrol says a man was distracted by his cell phone Friday afternoon when he crashed in Loudon County, killing a bicyclist." more...
Performance Bike Store Closings Begin
Boston, MA - "Gordon Brothers announced today that it will begin store closing sales at 102 Performance Bicycle locations across the country..." more
- CA: Burlingame embraces dockless bike sharing
- NY: Bike lanes, smarter traffic signals – and roundabouts
- CA: $132M for Sacramento region transportation projects
- AUS: New Caloundra MTB trail opens
- CA: Cirque du Soleil performer falls off BMX bike during SF ‘Volta’ performance
- CO: Denver woman offers reward for stolen bikes
Kokosing Gap Trail Closure
OB: Unfortunately no details were given as to where the closing is taking place, why the section is closed, or when it may reopen. If you are able to provide more details regarding this closure, please contact us and we will update accordingly.
Pacers Bikeshare Expanding in 2019
IN - "The Indiana Pacers Bikeshare program, whose network of 29 stations is focused almost entirely downtown, plans to roll out 23 new stations next summer..." more
Learn to Bike Share Safely in Snow & Slush
Detroit, MI - "MoGo bike-sharing is for all Detroit seasons, says the nonprofit organization..." more
'Keystone Bike Trail' Could Cost $6M
Bellefonte, PA - "A two-and-a-half mile bike trail connecting Bellefonte to Milesburg could become a reality, but it’s going to take a community effort..." more
Trail Alliance Formed to Offer MTBike Access
WV - "The New River Gorge Trail Alliance has announced a new partnership with The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, which will allow mountain bikers to ride the world-class bike trails at the Summit Bechtel Reserve." more...
In-Depth Look at Greenway Sweeps
OR - "You might have seen the photos shared by local law enforcement-- piles of trash, needles and old clothes left behind by homeless camps after police wipe through the Bear Creek Greenway during their monthly sweeps." more...
- IL: Chicago survey finds dockless bikeshare more popular than Divvy-style
- MD: Lime is bringing dockless bike share to Baltimore this weekend
- WA: SDOT reports 20 percent decrease in cyclists, blames weather
- IA: 2 more ‘pieces’ of Story County’s trails are planned for 2019
- WA: Geiger Blvd will get turning lane, new pavement, pedestrian and bike trail
- OR: All Performance Bike stores closing in Portland
Disagreement Over Solon Trail Continues
Solon, OH - "Residents and some council members continue to question the need for a $37,000 design and engineering study for the proposed Solon-to-Chagrin Falls recreational trail." more...
More Support for Countywide Bike Plan
Port Clinton, OH - "...The resolutions approving the plan are intended to enable future funding opportunities, such as state and federal grants, for its implementation and eventual construction of the bike trail." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Man Arrested for Trying to Run Down Cyclist
TX - "...The man was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He is in Taylor County Jail on a $25,000 bond." more...
Tacks Dumped in Bike Lane
NY - "...he saw them scattered across the parkway for four blocks he traveled." more...
8 Wins for TrailNation in 2018
"...Here is a spotlight on some of the critical project advances we made in 2018—and how they are bringing to life our vision of trails at the heart of healthy, thriving communities." more...
61 New and Renewing U.S. Bike Friendly Communities
"The League of American Bicyclists honored 61 towns and cities in 27 states with prestigious Bicycle Friendly Community (BFC) awards for their leadership and investment in infrastructure, education and outreach that enables and inspires people to ride bikes." more...
- GA: Atlanta City Council OKs transportation plan
- HI: Bikeshare Hawaii installs 33 new Biki docking stations
- TX: Waco city council including scooters in bike share program
- TN: Explore Bike Share Cranks 25K Rides in Six Months
- LA: Baton Rouge bike-share program should be ready by St. Patrick's Day
- FL: Police release 911 calls in Cycling Family Broward tragedy/a>
- TX: Smash and Grab at Fort Worth Bicycle Shop
- MD: Lime to debut dockless bicycles in Baltimore
- WAL: BLT appeals
- MN:DNR stands firm on Fall River bike trail bridge
- NY: Why is county rushing to build Onondaga Lake trail on toxic land?
- CA: Money allocated for CR98 bike route and charging stations
- CO: Partnership delivers long-awaited trail link
- ND: Someone plowed the Greenway, and local leaders aren't happy
Work Underway on River Trail Extension
‘Sierah’s Law’ passes Ohio House
Columbus, OH - "...In 2016, 20-year-old Sierah Joughin of Fulton County was riding her bike when she was attacked, kidnapped and murdered...." more
Pittsburgh Bike Share Expanding
PA - "...The nonprofit program, which allows users to rent bikes for $2 per half-hour at one location and drop them off at another, installed its 100th station last week and expects to expand to 175 next spring..." more
Bike League Changes its Bike Friendly State Report Cards
WA - "Perhaps tired of handing the top honors to a barely-deserving Washington State year after year, the League of American Bicyclists changed its annual state-by-state rankings into a set of 50 individual report cards that track each state’s progress..." more
Denver May Force Scooters into Bike Lanes
CO - "...the city may change where people ride scooters and tweak the 'pilot' program that has allowed several companies to deploy hundreds of scooters and bikes here." more...
Portland Ponders Transportation Data Tool
OR - "A powerful new data collection tool has local transportation agencies salivating." more...
- FL: Bike ride aims to promote traffic safety and awareness of bicyclists
- FL: Residents take to Facebook to ask city leaders for sidewalks and safer streets
- NM: Number of people hit by cars skyrockets
- GA: Introducing: Bike Walk Savannah
- GA: Macon-Bibb joins 'Vision Zero' initiative
- OR: Now you can donate Biketown credits
- CA: San Diego approves $2.3M for bike network 'missing link'
- NM: City aims to stop drivers from using new bike-ped crossing
- CAN: Flood-damaged bike trail reopens in Gatineau
- NJ: Brick Seeks Bids to Add Another Mile to Bike Trail
- CO: Funds in place to finish trai
- MA: Rockland Rail Trail final section to be completed next week
- WA: Leary Way is the common-sense route for Burke-Gilman’s missing link
The Red Line Greenway Plan
Cleveland, OH - "...a big part of the reason the project has already gotten millions of dollars in federal grants is because it reconnects parts of Cleveland that have become disconnected over time." more...
Chesterfield Open to Greenway Plan
IN - "Chesterfield and Daleville are on board to collaborate on the Mounds Greenway project going through the two towns." more...
Explore Bike Share Maps Show Bike Ride Data
TN - "Explore Bike Share riders have taken more than 25,000 trips since the system launched six months ago, and a new series of maps shows exactly where those riders have been." more...
The War for 35th Avenue
Seattle, WA - "...As first reported by The C Is for Crank, the future of a safe street redesign is in the hands of Mayor Jenny Durkan." more...
Cyclist Rides to Doctor with Knife in his Head
"The attack occurred on the same South African road where two riders were assaulted the week before." more...
Judge Regulates Performance Bike Sales Tactics
Durham, NC - "A U.S. bankruptcy judge has ruled that a liquidator company may not promote sales at some Performance Bicycle locations as 'Store Closing,' 'Going Out of Business,' 'Liquidation Sale,' 'Bankruptcy Sale' or similarly themed sale events..." more
- WA: Seattle has only built about 4% of its 2018 bike lane goal
- LA: Damaged, missing cycling awareness signs to be replaced
- WA: Is the Yakima Greenway being steamrolled by city council?
- VA: Long Bridge expansion will add new railroad tracks and a bike trail
- CA: Suspect Arrested After Man Shot, Killed Along Bike Trail
- UT: Snow Bikes Not Welcome On Basin Trail
- MN: Plan to develop corridor linking old Ford plant site to downtown St. Paul
- FL: 11 of the Tampa Bay area’s most treacherous intersections for bicyclists
- NY: Final Route 9 Bike Study Moving Ahead
- NY: Columbia County unsure of $2 million trail project on Hudson Landfill
- SC: York County prepares to buy $21 million green space along Catawba River
- NZL: Bike trail group wants MP's views ignored
- TX: Pilot program charges bike companies to use popular Austin trails
- AUS: Canberra key to Monaro rail trail’s potential tourism
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Set to Grow Near Sunbury
Delaware County, OH - "Preservation Parks of Delaware County has added 3.7 miles to what eventually will be about 15 miles of the Ohio to Erie Trail running through the southeast corner of the county." more...
Heartland Trail Paving (Photos)
Sewer Pipe Project along Alum Creek Trail
Philly Looks to NYC for Safer Streets
NYC - "Members of Philadelphia City Council visited here to determine whether this city's successful traffic enforcement efforts could work in Philly." more...
Delivering Mail with Cargo Bikes on UW Campus
WA - "...UW is the first campus in the country to move to delivering mail via electric bikes..." more
Entrepreneurs can Manage their Own Fleet of E-Scooters
"Bird announced today that it will sell its electric scooters to entrepreneurs and small business owners, who can then rent them out as part of a new service called Bird Platform." more...
Cycling to the Airport
"...Other airports around the country have also become bicycle accessible, among them Baltimore-Washington and the airports in San Diego and Portland, Ore..." more
The Bid to Shutdown London's Flagship Bike Lane
UK - "A new group supported by the Canary Wharf Group property company and lorry, coach and taxi drivers is attacking one of the city’s most popular routes." more...
- ESP: Pedestrian killed by electric scooter rider
- OR: PBOT to request $6M for Safe Routes to School projects
- LA: How New Orleans’ new bike registration will work
- FL: 2nd cyclist has died after being hit by a distracted driver during group ride
- CAN: Banff subsidizes studded tires to encourage winter cycling
Detroit Bike Share hits 237K Rides
MI - "Detroit's public bike share system, MoGo, has been used for more than 237,000 rides since its launch last year despite the introduction of electric scooters in the city." more...
Trade Truce Means New Tariffs on Hold for 60 Days
"...The round of goods that would have been subject to the 25 percent tariffs includes most bike products made in China, including complete bikes, frames, wheels and other components and accessories. It does not affect lights, helmets, shoes or apparel, however." more...
Liquidator Running Sales at Performance Bike
"The company hired to run liquidation sales at 40 Performance Bicycle stores last month has expanded those sales to the chain's 62 remaining stores." more...
How Trail Organizations Spend Money
"...Singletracks looked at a few different ways that organizations raise money for [mountain bike] trail building." more...
- OR: What’s in store for Portland bike share?
- ISR: New bike trails inaugurated in Tel Aviv
- CO: Stormwater project a new playground for fat bikers
- UT: Summit County Council at odds over funding for Rail Trail study
- CA: What’s the actual cost of the rail-trail?
Commissioners Open Bids for Stavich Trail Paving
Big Data Through Bicycle Lights
"...Along with his wife he created a tech company that put sensors on bikes, sensors that would not just plot journeys but also measure road roughness so city planners would know where smoother asphalt is needed " more...
How E-Bikes can make City Streets Safer
"E-bikes are a game-changer for the people who need them most." more...
Drivers Give Cyclists Wearing a Helmet Less Room
"...He rode the same stretches of road with and without a helmet, and with and without a wig to make him look like a woman..." more
- CA: Man Fatally Shot In Broad Daylight Along Bike Trail
- CA: New Trail in Black Mountain Open Space Park
- CO: Proposed Mountain Bike Connector Trail Moves Forward
- IRE: €2.7m funding for County Limerick greenway
- WA: Community invited to celebrate new greenway connection
Heartland Trail Construction Progress
Marshallville, OH - "Construction on the trail has continued into late November with cold and wet weather slowing the progress. Still, beginning at Marshallville, nearly half of the trail has the stone base in place and it is ready for asphalt..."
For more info, read the Wayne County December Newsletter.
Westerville Sidepath Construction
OH - "Despite inclement season Westerville's sidepath addition along Cleveland Ave (north & south of Schrock Rd) is progressing..." more
Greenway Reopens after Flood Damage Repairs
NC - "The Joseph McDowell Historical Catawba Greenway is now open again after cleanup and repairs related to the Hurricane Michael flooding event in October were completed." more...
Austin Reprimands Lime for Too Many Scooters
TX - "...The transportation department has ordered the company to remove 1,000 scooters for the next 30 days after Lime was accused of violating city code by deploying too many of them downtown." more...
Bicycle Friendly State Progress Report
"...Each state’s Progress Report provides graphs on ridership, safety, and spending for each state over the last decade compared to each state’s region and the national average for each indicator." more...
Import Laws Can Solve Bike Industry's Gray Market Woes
"...Foreign sellers to U.S. consumers source goods in a variety of ways, some not always legitimate..." more
"Phenomenal" Growth in E-Bike Vacations
Madison, WI - "Eight years after it began offering e-bike vacation packages, Trek Travel said it has averaged an annual increase of 50 percent per year since 2016 on e-bike trips..." more
- AR: UA and city plan cycle track on Maple Street
- NY: Beacon Greenway to Open New Segments
- VA: County Set to Officially Open New Washington Blvd Bike Trail
- SC: GVL opens new mountain bike trail
ODNR Awards $4.4M for Local Park Projects
OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) has approved more than $4.4 million in project funding through the NatureWorks grant program, which will be used to improve outdoor recreational opportunities for Ohioans across the state." more...
Rails-to-Trails Vote Looms for City Council
Solon, OH - "...the introduction of any legislation involving the proposed Solon-to-Chagrin Falls trail project proved enough to stir lengthy and spirited debate last week." more...
Lawmaker To Review Plans For Kalamazoo River Greenway
MI - "A plan to make improvements along the Kalamazoo River in Allegan and Kalamazoo counties could soon come to fruition..." more
$3.2M to Split Portion of W&OD Trail into Separate Lanes
VA - "...The current 10-foot wide shared-use trail will be replaced by an 11-foot wide bicycle trail and an eight-foot wide pedestrian trail with a two-foot wide median in between..." more
Portion of American River Bike Trail Collapses
CA - "A portion of the American River Parkway bike trail in the Rancho Cordova area collapsed Thursday due to rain-caused erosion." more...
Citi Bike To Triple Fleet Size & Double Zone
NYC - "Competitors are furious as city extends monopoly to Citi Bike for another five years." more...
Community Colleges Boost Cycling
"...Community colleges are increasingly joining the bike movement, and other community institutions can learn from what is happening in this growing sector of the higher education arena..." more
University Signs 1st Cycling Mechanic Scholarship
IN - "Marian University has announced the first recipient of its cycling team mechanic scholarship: Charis Lott of Fortville, Indiana." more...
- ND: Greenway wall the target of graffiti
- TX: Pct. 2 breaks ground on tunnel project for hike and bike trail
- D.C.: New DC-Va. bridge plan would add more trains, bike paths over Potomac
- CA: New bike lanes may provide safer alternative
- OR: PBOT strategy to tame east Portland’s deadly arterials
- WA: One millionth Fremont Bridge bike trip
- NYC: Thumbtacks Strewn Along 43rd Ave Protected Bike Lane
Community Has Concerns With E-Bikes
Millersburg, OH - "Concerns over the safety and the legality of electric bikes or E-bikes as they are more commonly known, have been a hot topic among community members in Amish Country..." more
Plan Calls for 1,100-Mile Bikeway Network
Bethesda, MD - "More than three years in the making, Montgomery County’s goal of creating a world class bike trail system is becoming a reality." more...
Girl Scouts Analyze Bike Safety
NJ - "...DeMarco and Gallagher decided, with the help of their moms, that a biking audit would be a great way to give back to the community for their Girl Scout Silver Award..." more
Colin Ross on the Future of IBDs
"The recent Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing by the owners of Performance Bicycle should be a wake-up call for every bike brand who thinks that a vertically integrated delivery process is the answer to their market struggles..." more
- TX: Why Is San Antonio Still Building a 20th-Century City?
- FL: Tampa Bay neighborhood plagued by cars crashing into homes
- OR: Marine Drive gets buffered bike lanes and new path
- WA: 35th Ave NE bike lanes head to Mayor Durkan’s desk
- IRE: Work on major cross border greenway project under way
- OR: Officials see Greenway breakage as likely
- MT: Commissioners lift moratorium on Mt Ascension directional bike trail
- CO: Fat bike trail comes with Sand Creek stormwater project
- TX: New Hike and Bike Trail Connecting San Juan and McAllen
- MA: Wellfleet residents divided on rail trail extension
- WI: Gold Star Memorial Trail open in Dodge County
- NE: Free bicycle repair stations coming to Scottsbluff and Gering
Pathfinders Hit Fundraising Goal
Redesign of Livingston Avenue Underway
Columbus, OH - "Bike lanes are coming to a section of East Livingston Avenue in German Village..." more
Revitalize South Street with a Parking Ban
Philadelphia, PA - "...Currently, South Street isn't great for riding bikes. There is no designated area for cyclists, and with parking on both sides of South, cyclists are forced to 'take the lane' heading east to their destination." more...
E-Scooter Bills Seek to Stop Crackdown on E-Bikes
NYC - "Councilman Rafael Espinal is crafting legislation that, he says, will bring throttle-controlled bikes favored by delivery workers out of the shadows." more...
E-Scooters Didn’t Squelch Bike Share Use
Portland, OR - "Data show Biketown ridership numbers increased during the four month scooter pilot program." more...
Rails-to-Trails Conservancy Hires New President
D.C. - "Rails-to-Trails Conservancy has hired Ryan Chao, currently the vice president of the Center for Civic Sites and Community Change at the Annie E. Casey Foundation, as the organization's third president..." more...
Cyclist’s Near-Miss With a Train
"...a ProRail spokesperson said about two deaths and more than 100 near-misses occur at these crossings every year in the Netherlands..." more
- D.C.: Locals look to explore Connecticut Avenue's future
- NC: Get ready for lower speed limits
- WA: How bikeshares could ultimately affect Seattle transportation
- OR: Drunk driver kills pedestrian
- FL: Florida is a cyclist killing field
- IL: Bike trail that follows MetroLink route will be extended
- NY: Funeral arrangements for teen, slain on Cohoes bike trail
- VA: Car Runs Over Pedestrian’s Foot at Bike Trail Crossing
- MN: Three miles of off-road bike trail now open
- TX: Electric Scooters And Bikes Will Be Coming To Some Austin Trails
- VA: Greenway assailant gets more jail time
- OR: Fires still a threat on Bear Creek Greenway
- NJ: Freeholders will purchase 30-acre parcel for addition to Metedeconk greenway
- IRE: Plans unveiled for Kildare's Grand Canal Greenway
Teens Robbed of Cell Phones, Bike
Green Twp., OH - "...The release said one of the juveniles produced a handgun and demanded items from the 16-year-olds, including two cell phones, cash and a bicycle." more...
Competition to Redesign Old Elevated Rail Line
Buffalo, NY - "...A new design ideas competition in Buffalo, New York, aims to revitalize the city’s 1.5-mile elevated DL&W rail corridor as a multiuse urban nature trail and greenway..." more
Driver Rams Cyclists, Kills 1 - Injures 5
FL - "...A Honda Fit struck the riders about 8:30 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of State Road 84..." more
Contraflow Bike Lane in Virginia
VA - "...Arlington County has found a way to partially alleviate the traffic on George Mason by shortening travel time for cyclists." more...
Help Stop the AV Start Act
D.C. - "The Senate may pass the AV START Act this week, but as the bill is currently written it will increase the number of autonomous vehicles on the road without making manufacturers prove the cars can see bicyclists and other road users..." more
The Answer to School-Drop-Off Chaos
"...here’s an elegant solution to the school drop-off problem: A growing number of European cities simply prohibit cars on the streets surrounding schools at the start and end of the school day." more...
- FL: St. Pete's new bike lanes beckon riders, but many prefer the sidewalk
- ITA: Tiny Italian town issues 58,000 speeding fines in ten days
- UK: Cycling awareness plan
- CA:29-year-old bicyclist suffers serious injuries after car drifts into bike lane
- ITA: 3T headquarters robbed
- UK: Friends of Brighton Greenway clean up the city’s wildlife corridor
- IRE: Double urban renewal investment for Mayo county town
Making the "Deadliest Road in the Nation" Safer
Harrisburg, PA - "State Street in Harrisburg could look much different next summer if city officials get the go-ahead on a bold plan..." more
Hiking & Kayaking Routes Plan Moving Ahead
Princeton, WV - "...The trails will be multi-use, non-motorized trails for hiking, bicycle riding and access to kayak routes on the river..." more
Scooter Injuries Worry Local Doctors
St. Louis, MO - "Between Aug. 6 and Oct. 20 of this year, the doctors confirmed at least 68 scooter-related injuries treated in their emergency department alone." more...
Cyclist Throws His Poop at Driver
CAN - "...Police are searching for a cyclist in Victoria, British Columbia, accused of ramming his bike into a car before hurling his own poop at the vehicle..." more
- SC: Group turning crosswalks into murals to boost pedestrian safety
- TX: More bike-path routes are in the works
- NY: County officials await state contract for Champlain Canalway Trail
- AUS: Federal money for the rail trail
- MN: Duluth can follow bikeways plan for active transportation
Trolley Network set for Revival
Philadelphia, PA - "...They're turning the remains of the trolley line — whose artifacts include elegant bridges of stone and brick, a 1940s car barn, and the platform where thousands once embarked to Woodside Park, now consumed by forest — into a 4.5-mile Trolley Trail..." more
Pathway Between New Albany, Clarksville Now Open
Clarksville, IN - "...When completed in the spring, this seven-mile trail will link those two communities together with Jeffersonville along the Ohio River Greenway." more...
The E-Scooter Side Hustle
St. Louis, MO - "Colby Koch and his husband were among many on the hunt for scooters in every corner of the city one recent night..." more
- MO: St. Clair County to increase MetroLink access with extended trail system
- CT: Cyclists want their say on Pequonnock trail
- MN: County board agrees to develop countywide bicycling plan
- IRE: Grant puts Connemara Greenway back on the right track
Ohio Ruling Leaves Family of Slain Cyclist Heartbroken
"Celia and John Gagnon say they are 'devastated' and 'heartbroken' after hearing that the Ohio woman found guilty of killing their daughter, Emilee, in 2014 successfully had her record sealed by an Ottawa County judge last month." more...
Newburgh Trail Extension
Evansville, IN - "A long anticipated extension of Newburgh's popular Rivertown Trail is moving forward." more...
Can an App Help Avoid Bike-Car Collisions?
WA - "The UW team is installing sensors this month along the trail in Lake Forest Park, near the junction of Highway 522 and Ballinger Way Northeast, to test an app-based system that would alert drivers and cyclists if they are about to cross paths." more...
Injured Bicyclist Rescued by Boat
Bethesda, MD - "A bicyclist injured along a trail at Black Hill Regional Park was rescued by first responders Friday afternoon." more...
How Greenway Trails Went from Nuisance to Amenity
Raleigh, NC - "...citywide surveying from 2014 shows that Raleigh residents prioritize greenways over other kinds of park facilities." more...
- WI: Volunteers chip in to make rugged bike path easier to follow
- AUS: Wangetti walk and bike trail is eco friendly claims council
- FL: Body Found Along Popular Bike Trail in South Apopka Identified
- UK: New guidance issued on unauthorised bike trails
- MN: Gitchi-Gami Trail battle overshadows miles state could add elsewhere
- CAN: Dundas trail link would connect 5 area schools
- CA: Santa Clarita & partners offer app aimed at improving safe bicycle travel
- NH: Man back in jail for stealing bike from in front of court that just released him
Southwest Loop Trail Coming
Columbus, OH - "...A new 21 mile Southwest Loop linked to the Camp Chase Trail is coming in the next 5 years thanks to Columbus Recreation and Parks Department. Another future project is the Franklinton Loop..." more
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Park OKs E-Bikes on Sioux Falls Trail System
SD - "City Hall's push to legalize electric-assisted bicycles, otherwise known as e-bikes, on the Sioux Falls bike trail system took a major step forward this week." more...
Wholesale Bikes Sales Continue Dallars-Up / Units Down Trend
Boulder, CO - "U.S. wholesalers sold 7 percent fewer bikes through the first 10 months of 2018 compared with the same period last year. But the dollar value of those bikes was up nearly 6 percent..." more
- AL: Indian Creek Greenway visitors experiencing car break-ins
- VA: Community rebuilds Murray Run Greenway in Fishburn Park
- IRE: €500,000 funding announced for Midlands greenway project
- FL: Man found dead near West Orange Bike Trail
- ID: Hailey P&Z approves permit for BCRD trails
- CA: Plans for west part of Bay Bridge bike path move along
- NY: Mistrial declared in case of slain NYC runner
- AR: Lowell plans park, trail additions
- FRA: Drivers Are Leading a Protest Movement Across France
- NY: Arrest made in bike path killing
Camp Chase Trail Construction
Ohio Bike Laws Article Series
Euclid, OH - "...a series of articles appeared in the Euclid Observer in an effort to promote safer and more efficient shared use of roads between bikes and cars in the city..." more
Infirmary Mound Park Trails
Granville, OH - "DId you know there are miles of trails at Infirmary Mound Park to hike, bike, or ride?.." more
Grand Rapids Celebrates Safe Year for Peds/Bikes
MI - "...The city announced Monday that bicycle-related crashes with motorists were at a 10-year low and pedestrian-vehicle collisions were at a three-year low for 2018." more...
How to Make Boston Safer for Bikes?
MA - "...Last Friday, Meng Jin, a 24-year-old Boston University graduate student, was fatally struck by a dump truck at an intersection in front of the Museum of Science on the Boston-Cambridge line..." more
- CA: Memorial Walk to mark road traffic deaths in San Fran
- TX: Traffic Crash Victims' Survivors Seek Changes
- IL: Mattoon council preparing for bike trail project
- CA: Marin environmentalists win bike trail freeze at preserve
- AR: Greenway Trail progress moving right along
- AL: Anniston City Council approves new Coldwater Mountain trails
- UK: Moped-riding burglars raid bike shop
- WI: Ringle single-track mountain bike trails open in time for the winter fat tire season
Endorsements for Trail Plan Sought
Ottawa County, OH - "Now that the Ottawa County commissioners have endorsed a plan for a bike/pedestrian trail, a steering committee will begin the process of seeking endorsements from local governments..." more
Delaware County Trail Projects Awarded Grant Funding
OH - "...Four projects in Delaware County are scheduled to receive about $1.4 million for improvements totaling almost $2 million..." more
Additional Solon Trail Funding Off the Table, for Now
Solon, OH - "Although it could be revisited next year, an earlier proposal to set aside an additional $253,000 in the 2019 budget for recreational trails is now off the table." more...
Bipartisan Group Working on Trail Improvements
OH - "A bipartisan effort to improve Ohio’s 3,000-plus-mile network of trails, headed in part by a Warren County state lawmaker, has been an example for other states in driving improvement of outdoors opportunities..." more
Bad Design Cited in Bridge Collapse
FL - "The National Transportation Safety Board on Thursday released new information indicating design errors were the likely cause of the collapse of the FIU pedestrian bridge in March, which killed six people." more...
Marchers Commemorate Pedestrians Deaths
D.C. - "Demonstration comes as traffic deaths in the District this year surpass those in 2017, despite commitment to Vision Zero." more...
Park Tool Grant Program
St. Paul, MN - "...Park Tool is accepting applications for its Community Grant Tool Program, which is designed to help local nonprofit cycling organizations worldwide get the tools and repair products they need." more...
- D.C.: Complaints regarding D.C.’s new rules for dockless vehicles
- OR: Portland’s e-scooter pilot ends
- WA: Uber’s JUMP launches in Seattle
- NY: Safety of bike path questioned after fatal Cohoes shooting
- VA: Fredericksburg to expand VCR Trail in early spring
- NYC: Delancey gets safer with protected bike lanes
- SC: Funding for $1.3M bike path project in Carolina Forest
Residents not Keen on Bike Path
Gates Mills, OH - "...The report acknowledged that separate lanes or a separate path would improve safety. But most residents and recreational visitors who spoke at meetings or through a survey opposed expanding the area’s pavement..." more
4 Men Accused of Stealing Sidewalk
Youngstown, OH - "...Someone called 9-1-1 late Wednesday morning to report that some men were taking the sidewalk slabs along the 600 block of Ridge Avenue." more...
Allegheny Ridge Receives $202K for Canal Greenway
PA - "The Allegheny Ridge Corp. has received a $202,000 grant from the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources to continue its work on developing the Pittsburgh-to-Harrisburg Mainline Canal Greenway." more...
Wilmington gets $75K Grant to Rehabilitate Marti Park
PA - "...Work will include construction of pedestrian walkways, storm water management measures, installation of play equipment with required safety surfacing, landscaping, project signage, ADA access and other site improvements..." more
New Public Spaces Are Supposed to Be for All
NYC - "Office workers sip coffee beside men sleeping in chairs pulled together. Tourists park their shopping bags where people shoot up heroin, or drink until they pass out..." more
Cyclists Spend More in London Shops Than Motorists
UK - "New research from Transport for London (TfL) claims that people walking, cycling and using public transport spend more than motorists in local shops..." more
- CA: Regional group may provide Yuba City with $2 million grant for bike path
- AUS: Missing man found unresponsive beside a bike track in Sydney's south
- IRE: Minister commits to examine all options on greenway
- AUS: Student’s greenway network plan inspired by mum and dad
- MD: Pedestrian Safety Remains a Challenge in the County
- CO: Why do many Denver neighborhoods lack adequate sidewalks?
- MO: Services like Uber and Lyft aren't helping to curb drunk driving in KC
Plans for Ottawa Dunes Site
MI - "Public access has been granted for the first time on 345 acres of Ottawa County dune property." more...
Teen Murdered on Cohoes Bike Trail
Cohoes, NY - "Police said Friday night's fatal shooting of a teenager in Cohoes is a homicide." more...
- CAN: Summerside creates first mountain bike trails
- AR: Trail system ribbon cutting celebration held
- NE: City of Lincoln releases 144-mile on-street cycling plan
- OR: Momentum builds for carfree river ferry service
Heritage Rail-Trail Detour
Hilliard, OH - "Construction alert for Heritage trail! There will be a temporary detour near Homestead Metro Park in effect: November 26, 2018 to May 17, 2019. Please use caution around the site, thank you!" more...
2040 Plan Includes Lakewood Bike Routes
Lakewood, OH - "The Ohio Department of Transportation recently announced its long-range Access Ohio 2040 plan, which in coordination with local jurisdictions will designate the Ohio and U.S. Bike Route network." more...
Another Downside to Trail Bollard Use
NYC - "The agency's anti-terror bollards appear to have made the greenway un-plowable." more...
And of course, the biggest downside is that bollards can and do cause serious injury and death. Learn more.
Snow Removal Includes Bike Lanes in D.C.
D.C. - "...There's a new "non-motorized trail" work detail specifically assigned to clearing bike paths, bridge deck sidewalks and ramps compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act at intersections." more...
- NE: New bike trail extension opens in South Sioux City
- FL: $35 million bike path across the new Howard Frankland bridge
- WI: City stays dedicated to bike friendliness with new wayfinding project
- AUS: Trap proposed for Unanderra’s illegal trail riders
- NY: Police investigating suspicious death on trail in Cohoes
- WA: Build a homeless shelter, but preserve the Greenway
- WA: SDOT reaffirms plans for Eastlake bike lanes
Towpath Trail Section Closing for Hunting Season
Stark County, OH - From Stark Parks, "The [3.5-mile] Towpath Trail [section] between Riverland Ave. and the Tuscarawas County Line (Rt. 212) will be closed due to hunting on nearby private property on the following dates: Nov. 17 and 18, Nov. 22 to Dec. 2., Dec. 15 and 16, and Jan. 5 to 8, 2019."
Water on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "The Hocking River water level in the City of Athens as of 7:00 am this morning, 16 November is above 15.25 feet. This means that the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway will be underwater at the dip between Stimson and the US33 underpass..." more
Bike Lanes & Routes Taking Hold in Ohio
"More and more cities in Northeast Ohio have begun to create designated bike lanes along their thoroughfares. And the Ohio Department of Transportation is working on a plan to create state and U.S. bike routes throughout the Buckeye State." more...
Park Could Blaze Quarry Trails as Regional Attraction
Columbus, OH - "Columbus and Franklin County Metro Parks hasn’t broken ground yet for its 20th central Ohio park, but its project already has won an award from the Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission for collaborative efforts to push it forward." more...
Trailhead Construction Underway in Vanderbilt
MI - "After years of planning, construction has finally begun on the Vanderbilt trailhead project." more...
MDOT Considers Giving Up Control of Busy Streets
Kalamazoo, MI - "...A long-awaited contract with the Michigan Department of Transportation would give the city of Kalamazoo jurisdiction over busy traffic arteries and $11.6 million to maintain them..." more
Bikes for Tykes Benefits from Abandoned Ofo Bikes
TX - "...Cox said his organization cannot sell the bikes, but would like to donate them to an organization that in return is willing to make a financial donation to Bikes for Tykes, which can then use the money to buy spare parts." more...
Protecting Trails in 2018
"...RTC worked closely alongside trail groups, advocates and friends to protect trails against threats to their well-being, generate support for their continued development and create opportunities for the transformative impact we know is made possible by these vital assets." more...
Owner of Performance Bicycle Files for Chapter 11
Chapel Hill, NC - "...The move is likely to lead to the closure of at least 40 Performance stores in the coming months; the chain currently has 104 locations." more...
- RI: Providence Planning On-Street ‘Urban Trails’
- TN: Increase in pedestrian fatalities in Mid-South
- NV: 2 jaywalkers sought in shooting death of Las Vegas motorist
- OR: Bike thieves caught on camera
- NJ: Jersey City awarded $3.5 million for pathway along Morris Canal
- IL: Yet Another Reckless Driver on the LFT Highlights Need for Guard Rails
- CA: Fire claims popular recreation spots
- NC: Clayton Riverwalk closed, greenway flooded from recent rainfall
- OR: Death of man found along greenway deemed “accidental”
- MT: Helena to decide fate of Mount Ascension bike trail
- ID: Atokad Trail project complete in South Sioux City
- TX: Expansion to Cotton Belt Trail system in Grapevine to increase connectivity
- CA: Bay Bridge bike path on west span would offer ‘breathtaking views’
- KS: New Manhattan trail officially open for use
- WA: Mayor details plans for tsunami structure, dunes trail
Major Trail Developments in Ohio
"It’s officially the Year of the Trails in Ohio, and the Buckeye State is building significant momentum on trail projects, from Cleveland to Cincinnati and beyond." more...
Bike Cleveland Geared Up For a Big November
Cleveland, OH - "...the cycling advocacy group is in the midst of a busy month with its 2018 Strategic Summit and Cranksgiving Cleveland events." more...
Friends of the Little Miami Trail E-News
SW OH - Read the latest edition.
Bike Trail Booby-Trap Trio in Court
OR - "Two of the three men arrested last week for stretching string across the I-205 bike path are set to make their first appearance in court today." more...
AVs Will Never be Able to Drive in All Conditions
"...he doesn't think the industry will ever achieve the highest driving rating of being able to drive at any time of year in any weather and any condition." more...
Civilians Dress Up as Bus to Cross Bridge
RUS - "Back in 2012, the city of Vladivostok, Russia opened a shiny new bridge over the Zolotoy Rog Bay to make life easier for everyone, and then in 2015 they stopped letting people cross it on foot..." more
- GA: Regulations for scooter use, parking up for debate in Atlanta
- GA: Commissioners Have Second Thoughts About Barnett Shoals Bike Lanes
- FL: Bike trail extension connects Brooksville to Withlacoochee State Trail
- FL: St. Marks biking trail opens in Tallahassee
- SC: Possible human remains found on Murrells Inlet bike path
- CAN: Transcona Trail to receive biggest piece of Winnipeg bike infrastructure funding
- ID: Latah Trail rest stop now complete
Night Riding Policy @ John Bryan Park
Greene County, OH - "Night riding is a privilege. Ride responsibly to keep this privilege." more...
Pedal-Assist Bike-Share Arrives in Philly
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia’s bike-share service is taking a step forward on the evolutionary tree this week, with the arrival of electric-powered pedal-assist bicycles to its fleet..." more
Greenway Plan Envisions 71-Mile Network
NC - "...The county’s Greenways Master Plan Committee is out with a new version of potential trails that cross the county..." more
Uber: NYC Needs 100,000 to 200,000 E-Bikes
NYC - "...The company, which is lobbying the city to get into the bike-share business, says New Yorkers would take 1 million of their 26 million daily trips on dockless e-bikes..." more
Bike Builder Loses Home & Shop in Camp Fire
CA - "The Camp Fire that ravaged through the small town of Paradise, California burned through the shop of a former Portland bicycle builder." more...
45 New Bicycle Friendly Universities Honored
"The League of American Bicyclists is proud to announce 45 new and renewing colleges and universities with Bicycle Friendly University (BFU) status today. These colleges and universities have proved outstanding in their support of bicycling..." more
Milking Scooters for Cash
"...In Austin, officials are charging companies $100 a bike or scooter during its experimental phase, and could raise tens of thousands annually..." more
Why Americans Have Fallen Out of Love with Cars
"...congestion and the high cost of car ownership may have cooled the romance between Americans and their cars, especially for younger adults, according to a new national survey." more...
Trek, Kent and Others Look to Cambodia for Production
TWN - "Cambodia, already the biggest bicycle supplier to the EU, is making up ground in the U.S. market as well due to the recent tariffs imposed by the Trump administration." more...
Cyclists Mowed Down by Driver
TTO - "Popular Chef Joe Brown and a BP employee Joanna Banks were killed on Saturday morning when a car ploughed through a group of bicycle riders on the Beetham Highway." more...
- WA: It's time Seattle planners listen to women who walk and bike
- TX: Houston's streets are a battleground for language and policy
- VA: Alexandria set to allow dockless bikeshare and scooters
- MD: City to issue refunds to all Baltimore Bike Share members — eventually
- WA: Disabled people have serious concerns about e-scooters
- VA: Lynchburg Parks & Rec raising money to repair miles of damaged trails
- OR: Body found off Bear Creek Greenway identified
- NC: Broad River Greenway gets $100k boost
- FL: 15-year-old girl on bike struck, killed by driver
- NE: Lincoln Bike Plan aims to create connected system of bicycle lanes, trails
Great Miami River Trail Alert
Dayton, OH - From miamivalleytrails.org, "The bike/pedestrian bridge to/from Deeds Point MetroPark is closed for repairs. The Webster Street Bridge will serve as a detour around this project. Signs for the detour are posted in both directions along the Great Miami River Trail."
Amherst Bike Path Grant App Rejected
OH - "Construction of a bike path along North Main Street in Amherst has been postponed due to the rejection of a grant application submitted by the city." more...
Making Peninsula Dr Safer for Peds & Bikes
PA - "Project calls for extending Presque Isle State Park's multi-purpose trail. It would run along Peninsula Drive to the Tom Ridge Environmental Center." more...
Big Ben Coffee Opens Along Trail
IN - "...We’re just elated that we’re on the bike trail, that we can just partner with the city so we can create another good environment on this side of town..." more
For a More Walkable City, Enlist the Fire Chief
"Perhaps the most ironic day in the life of every city planner is the one on which she discovers that her greatest opponent in making her city’s streets safer is the fire chief..." more
Walmart Considering "Town Centers"
"...revamped Town Centers may include paths for running or cycling, green spaces for outdoor recreation, other retailers, and even entertainment options like bowling alleys..." more
USA Cycling Offering Free Memberships to Vets
Colorado Springs, CO - "On Monday, Nov. 11, USA Cycling said it will partner with five military support organizations to provide free memberships to veterans, active military and their families in honor of Veterans Day." more...
Putting People Before Cars in Toronto
CAN - "...The Pilot [project] just completed its first year, and the early results are looking good..." more
Are Electric Scooters the Future?
"...E-scooters, much like their non-powered siblings are about as straightforward as it gets when it comes to personal transportation devices." more...
- SC: Portions of Swamp Rabbit Trail closed due to flooding
- CAN: Cadillac Driver Plunges Through Bike Bridge
- IA: Bike trails, dog park in holding pattern for SL committee
Wasson Way Trail Phase 2
Columbus, OH - "...we have sufficient funds to build Phase 2A across I-71 to Evanston and Norwood!.." more
Township Wants Trails Group to Acquire Old Rail Bridge
Allegheny Twp., PA - " Allegheny Township officials want a regional trails organization to take over an old railway bridge spanning the Kiskiminetas River and use it connect the Tredway and Armstrong Trails." more...
Lime and Spin Sharing Data with LADOT
CA - "...The move to more openly share data related to where the scooters and bikes are ridden, routes taken, when they are used and other details reflects a growing trend where cities are requiring data sharing..." more
National Cycle Network has Many "Crap" Paths
UK - "Almost half of the network has been rated ‘poor’ in a review to be published on Monday." more...
Loyalhanna Trail Receives $500K Grant
PA - "Funding for a recreation trail that will be built over a new sanitary sewer line in Derry and Salem townships has finally fallen into place." more...
Men Arrested in Bike Path Booby Trap Caper
Portland, OR - "Portland police arrested three people suspected of setting a boobytrap on a bicycle path Friday night." more...
Solon To Chagrin Falls Trail gets $500K
Solon, OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources awarded the city $500,000 to make the pathway between downtowns a reality." more...
Hockhocking Adena Bikeway Visitation Stats
Developer Hopes RV Park Will Draw Cyclists
Columbus, OH - "A new “upscale RV resort” planned for 20 acres of land behind the Columbus Hollywood Casino will feature 135 spots for campers and trailers, a central lodge and fitness center, and a vertical camping platform designed to attract thru-bikers on the Ohio to Erie Trail." more...
More Input Sought on Devola Trail
Marietta, OH - "...Another major obstacle facing the planning of the trail is how to get the path through privately owned land..." more
$1.4M Riverside Drive Project
Troy, OH - "...the project moves the bike trail from the east side of the road to the west side of the road across more than a dozen drive ways..." more
Will Self-Driving Cars “Choose” to Kill Cyclists?
"A new study sheds light on how self-driving cars will make ethical decisions on the road." more...
So Cal Fires force Evacuations
Newbury Park, CA - "Giant Bicycles USA evacuated its offices Thursday afternoon as the Hill Fire burned behind the company's headquarters in the Conejo Valley, about 50 miles northwest of Los Angeles." more...
- CAN: Horses not allowed on Cypher Systems Greenway Trail
- NJ: County Set to Give $10K Toward Righter Road Path in Roxbury
- NY: Fort Washington Pedestrian Bridge Reopens, City Says
- TN: New trails and park added to Memphis downtown riverfront
- TX: League City expanding network of hike and bike trails
- TX: Construction on 8-acre Atascocita hike, bike trails underway
- CA: Installation of green bollards signal progress in bike path
NCIT Paving in Lorain County
OH - We received word from Josh Wyrick about this Lorain County Metroparks post: "...North Coast Inland Trail will be closed from Baird Rd. to Green Rd. for paving."
The facebook post was made on Oct. 24. No word yet on whether paving was completed on this 1.3-mile trail section before the cold and snow moved into Ohio today.
Tracks Being Removed in Liberty Center
OH - "Railroad is removing old tracts thru Liberty Center... rails are up from west of grain elevators east to Pleasantview RD." more...
Complete Streets Plan for Worthington
OH - "Worthington leaders are expected to finalize a “complete-streets” plan by the end of the year, but residents likely will not notice immediate changes..." more
U.S. 41 Greenway Now Open
Evansville, IN - "...The Hi-Rail Greenway is the City's non-motorized transportation system, beginning at Riverside Drive and extending to Walnut Street." more...
Scout Installs Bike Fix-It Station
Davison, MI - "...While on vacation in Duluth, MN a few years ago, Kosiara saw something he felt would improve patrons’ experience on Davison’s existing bike trail..." more
$6M Pedestrian Overpass Opens
Commerce Twp., MI - "...The bridge, which will eventually welcome drivers to Commerce Township, connects hiking trails from Walled Lake, Commerce Township, Wixom and West Bloomfield." more...
Boland Trail Opens
South Bend, IN - "...It's two-thirds of a mile long and connects the Riverwalk Trail, as well as bike lanes on Portage Avenue." more...
Experimental Bike-Friendly Speed Bumps
Portland, Or - "...people have many mixed feelings about these. Some say their pedals strike the bump when they go through and the channels are dangerous. Others love them..." more...
Making Left Turns Safer
"Cities are getting smarter about using design tricks to prevent improve safety for a particularly dangerous maneuver: Left turns." more...
Traffic Deaths: An International Health Scourge
THA - "Eight years after her daughter was killed by a drunk driver, Nelson Mandela’s granddaughter Zoleka is pleading for the world to do better at reducing traffic deaths." more...
- LA: Friends of Lafitte Greenway working to extend the 2.6-mile linear park
- OR: Medford police find a “high-rise homeless camp”
- TX: Austin's oldest hike-and-bike trail charts new course
- VA: The biggest loser in the bike trail debate
- MN: Falls to Ranier bike trail nears completion
- ESP: Truck driver attacks cyclists with a hammer
Towpath Bridge Deck Pour
Cleveland, OH - "Another step towards the completion of stage 3 of the Towpath Trail extension project was recently made as the concrete deck of the truss bridge spanning W. 7th St. was poured! Asphalt and concrete work around the Towpath Mounds is also being completed before cold weather arrives." more...
$200K Grant to Connect Park to Bike Trail
StreetsBlog Ohio Dead in the Water
It appears that the StreetsBlog Ohio website has been dead since January 2018. Their facebook and twitter accounts are closed, but their website carcass still floats on the web... more
Gunfire Keeps Trail Closed
PA - "...Standing in Pennypack where the trail opens, the crack of gunfire can often be heard in the distance..." more
Ford to Buy Electric Scooter Startup
Dearborn, MI - "Axios is reporting, based on multiple unnamed sources, that Ford Motor Co. has agreed to buy the electric scooter startup Spin..." more
Election Results of Interest to the Bike World
Philadelphia, PA - "...There also were a number of ballot measures and propositions around the country related to cycling that were being monitored by PeopleForBikes." more...
Nails in the Bike Lane a Reoccurring Problem
Portland, OR - "...she says the problem has been going on for at least two years." more...
Lime Investing $3M in Scooter & Bike Safety
"On the heels of Lime notifying the public about needing to recall some of its scooters due to fire concerns, Lime is putting $3 million toward a new safety initiative called 'Respect the Ride'." more...
- FL: Work begins to link disconnected bike trails
- FL: Sarasota County voters OK the Legacy Trail
- TX: City Council awards bid for $2.9M Little Creek Trail project
- ID: Paving at Pocatello's Sacajawea Park complete
- NC: City working to reduce crashes at dangerous intersections in Greensboro
- GA: City Approves Green Bike Lanes After Pilot
- OR: Beaverton wants a dockless bike share system
- WA: Lid I-5 Campaign Gains Momentum
$380K Grant to Close Towpath Gap
Bolivar, OH - "The Ohio Department of Natural Resources approved nearly $7 million in Clean Ohio Trails Fund grants, including a grant for $380,625 to the Ohio & Erie Canalway Coalition in support of a quarter-mile Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail connection in Bolivar." more...
Shepard Connector Construction
Columbus, OH - "...East/West 1/2 mile path length between Alum Creek Trail, Hayden Park, N. Nelson Rd, Sunbury Rd, Leonard Ave (YWCA) on former rail spur bed..." more
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
Township Pursuing Bellwood to Altoona Trail
PA - "Antis Township supervisors have an option to buy a 119-acre, 2-mile swath of ground that will allow the township to realize its ambition for a hiking and biking trail..." more
Blocked Bike Lanes in D.C.
D.C. - "The District’s top transportation and public works officials are asking three of the biggest mail carriers in the country to ensure that their delivery trucks do not obstruct bike lanes after an apparent uptick in such incidents reported by residents and parking-enforcement workers..." more
- VA: Supervisors vote 3-2 to reject bike trail grant
- NY: Onondaga Lake trail could scare away bald eagles, Audubon says
- OK: Norman to be home to state's largest bike skills park
- MT: Proposed trail system could bring 39 miles of hiking, biking and horse trails
- MN: Minneapolis looking to get tougher on sidewalk snow removal
- OR: Business group says Portland needs more protected bike lanes
New '3-Feet Law' Signs Popping up
Medina County, OH - "Saw this on a Medina County backroad today. Nice to see these and the ones in the Cleveland Metroparks out there every day!" more...
Derr Road Improvements
Springfield, OH - "Some of the proposals for Derr Rd. Include bike lanes." more...
Alum Creek Drive Widening Includes Sidepath
Columbus, OH - "...Adding a ten foot wide paved side path and a concrete sidewalk as part of the 2018-2019, ~$18 mil. construction project..." more
Knox County Parks E-News
Knox County, OH - Read the latest edition.
New Bike Lanes on Rt. 116 Raise Eyebrows
Chicopee, MA - "There's confusion and controversy over the new bike lanes on Route 116 in Chicopee." more...
Retiming Traffic Signals to Boost Ped Safety
D.C. - "More than 90 traffic signals in the District will be retimed to allow pedestrians more time to cross roadways as part of Mayor Muriel Bowser’s vision zero initiative." more...
Jefferson County Open Space Allows Class 1 E-bikes on all Trails
Golden, CO - "Following a pilot program begun in February, land managers in Colorado's Jefferson County (Jeffco) Open Space have made Class 1 e-bikes permanently legal on all trails where traditional bikes are allowed — including about 180 miles of natural-surface trails." more...
Bike Organizations Oppose the AV Start Act
"Thanks to all 150 League member organizations from all 50 states, and many national partners for joining us in opposing the AV START Act..." more
- NY: Kinderhook, Samascott Orchards make minor adjustment for land purchase
- TN: Greenway extended one-third mile south to Red River
- MT: Superfund Deal Would Transform Butte's Creek Corridors Into Greenway
- GA: Greenway linear park moves closer to reality
- MO: West Meadows Trail Project Groundbreaking
- VA: Neighbors Urge Inclusion of Bike & Ped Trail Along New Long Bridge
- MN: Kiosk project passes completion date, work to be finished in February
- NH: Volunteers carve out new Broken Ground biking trails
- CO: Commissioners considering permitting e-bikes on some county trails
- TX: Fight over sidewalk turns into one-woman political protest
- MA: Bike-share programs push deeper into suburbs
Pedalpalooza Shows Off Protected Bike Path
NH - "The event... was a celebration of New Hampshire's first protected bike path..." more
Shimano Recalls Bicycle Helmets
"The bicycle helmets do not comply with the federal safety standard for bicycle helmets, posing a risk of head injury." more...
- CA: SR-56 Bike Trail Extension Working Its Way Through City Council
- AR: Rogers looks to make downtown pedestrian- and bicycle-friendly
- WA: Seattle wants to expand traffic camera tickets
ODNR Trail Grants Total Nearly $7M
OH - "...The nearly $7 million in reimbursement funding will be used in 14 counties to develop miles of new trails, trail extensions, land acquisition and bridges..." more
Stark Parks Trail News
Stark County, OH - West Branch Trail: "The trail is now open and features a new underpass as part of the recent road project. Please use caution as construction is ongoing in the area."
Mahoning Valley Trail: "The trail is closed between Rockhill Ave. and Gaskill St. because of high water from the Mahoning River flowing over the trail. A new boat launch and parking lot construction at the Price St. entrance will cause occasional restrictions and closures throughout November and December..." more
Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail Flooding
OH - From Summit Metro Parks, "Due to flooding, the Towpath Trail is closed from the Stark County line to just south of the Clinton trail head, and a half-mile from the Center Road parking lot."
Stark County Parks advisory: "Consistent rainfall will likely close the trail in low areas due to rising water in the Tuscarawas River by 11/2/2018. Water over the trail has closed the underpass at Lake Ave. in Massillon."
Grants Received for Sandusky Trail & NCIT
Sandusky, OH - "...The Ohio Department of Natural Resources announced Friday it awarded about $493,500 to Sandusky for the first phase of the Sandusky Bay Pathway. It also awarded about $217,000 to Ottawa County to extend the North Coast Inland Trail." more...
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Goal Met
Urbana, OH - "...With one month to go in our Honda of America Foundation Paving Challenge, we have just this week, reached our goal!" more...
Bike Fleet Helps Portland Street Medicine
OR - "...A local nonprofit that provides them with medical care now has powerful new tools that will allow them reach more people, more often: bicycles." more...
GM Enters E-Bike Market
NY - "General Motors has announced plans to sell two e-bike models next year. " more...
Cyclists Say Australia Should Rethink Strict Helmet Law
"The world’s toughest helmet law isn’t working, says Australia’s largest bike advocacy organization." more...
- MN: River-to-River Greenway keeps moving forward
- IRE: Grand Canal Greenway to get free public Wi-Fi
- GA: Woodstock OKs $24.7K for mountain bike trail work
- GA: Dunwoody developers look to Denmark for bike infrastructure inspiration
- IA: Special gift helps add to city's trail system
- CA: Adding to the Arroyo Seco bike path is slow-going
- NC: Wilmington police file additional charges against driver in fatal bicycle crash
- NH: Man known for humanitarian work dies after mountain bike crash
Flooding on Columbus Area Trails
CoGo a No-Go for Some Merchants
Upper Arlington, OH - "...Although the projects have been discussed publicly since June 2016 and various news outlets have reported on CoGo’s expansion plans, some were caught off guard when the stations were installed..." more
Trails Create "Waterfront" Property in Carmel
IN - "...The city has completed more than 200 miles of bike trails and lanes, installing approximately 30 miles within the last two years." more...
For more news, visit the 2018 Archive.