Regional, U.S. & International News
Lime Might Find a Home in Worthington
OH - "After a successful six-month trial, Worthington might have a permanent bike-sharing service." more...
Is Traverse City Bucking a Trend?
MI - "Fewer people are riding their bikes to work, but according to Julie Clark, executive director for TART Trails, Traverse City might be bucking that national trend. more...
Ann Arbor Plans Network of Protected Bike Lanes
MI - "Ann Arbor will begin construction on its first protected two-way bike lane this spring." more...
City Funds Next Phase of State Street Revitalization
Columbus, IN - "...A 10-foot-wide multi-use trail will be added at the back of the Third Street curb, in addition to pedestrian lighting, a two-foot-wide brick shy zone similar to what is already on State Street and a brick gateway node..." more
Schuylkill Greenways Launches Updated Website
Pottstown, PA - "...The renovated 'schuylkillriver.org' now encompasses two websites into one, with bonus features." more...
Lakefront Trail Separation Creates Safer Environment
Chicago, IL - "...When 100,000 people share a narrow slab of pavement on an average summer weekend day, there are bound to be issues..." more
Dallas Bike Share Seems to Have Increased Bike Deaths
TX - "A riddle: What happens when you cram more bicyclists onto streets without bike lanes?" more...
DeVos Recovering from Bicycle Accident
D.C. - "Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is in a wheelchair as she recovers from a recent bicycle accident that broke her pelvis and hip socket." more...
Hitman Cyclist Sentenced for Murders
UK - "A British cyclist, runner, and mob hitman has been convicted of the murders of two rival gangsters, in part because of his GPS watch." more...
- NYC: Whoopi Goldberg's take on NYC Bike Lanes
- CA: Not all Santa Cruzans ‘jumping’ for joy with bike share
- CAN: Bike share no solution for transit gaps in Edmonton winters
- CA: Pace Bike Share Program Ribbon Cutting at Iron Horse Trailhead
- FL: Final segment complete in bike trail between St. Johns, Putnam counties
- IL: Troy- O’Fallon Bike Trail expected summer of 2019
- AZ: Uber announces JUMP bike, scooter sharing program in Scottsdale, Mesa
- OR: Finalized funding list for Safe Routes to School projects
- NV: 5 traffic deaths in one weekend in Las Vegas
Grant Sought to Connect B&O Trail with City Trail
Mansfield, OH - "The City of Mansfield is applying to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources for a 2019 Clean Ohio Trail Fund grant to build a 1.13-mile bike trail..." more
Sugarcamp Mountain Trail Receives Expansion Grant
Floyd County, KY - "The Sugarcamp Mountain Trail is about 20 miles long and counting." more...
Newest Segments of East Coast Greenway
"The number of miles of East Coast Greenway built as safe, off-road paths jumped in 2018 by 44.4 miles. The 24 new segments are found in 10 states, Maine to Florida..." more
Driver Offers "Apology" for Hitting 10-Year-Old Bicyclist
"Julian Moore, 10, was upset and insulted by the nonapology..." more
Driver Slams into Cycling Celebrity
"A new video making the rounds in Spain shows just how scary it can be when cyclists must share the road with distracted drivers." more...
We Need Walkable, Wheelable, Scooterable Cities
"Fewer people are walking and more people are voting with their gas pedal." more...
- CA: Pedestrians deaths surge in San Diego in 2018
- NC: ‘Vision Zero’ plan proposes speeding cameras in Charlotte
- NYC: Whoopi Goldberg slams Bill de Blasio over NYC bike lanes
- BEL: How Mobiel 21 is growing the bicycle culture in Belgium
- FL: Orlando painting dockless parking boxes
- TN: Big River Crossing quarterly data reveal increase in bike riders
- MA: Wareham Selectmen mull ditching Bike Path Committee
- CA: Oakland’s Saddest Bike Path
- NJ: ‘Super Bikeway’ Sought
- MN: Baxter City Council looks at pedestrian bridge options
2019 Ohio-to-Erie Trail Maps Available
OH - "...Published in 2019, the entire 326-mile route is shown including mileage and necessary road routes and services..." more
Richland County Parks Hires B&O Trail Manager
Fatal Ohio Bike Crashes in 2018
"...2018 was unusual in a number of ways. First, the location of the fatal crashes was unusual..." more
Plans for Joe Louis Greenway to be Presented
Detroit, Mi - "The Joe Louis Greenway, a 31.5-mile loop of connected trails, made our list of the most exciting developments of 2019..." more
Read the latest edition.
Making Cook County Trails More User Friendly
IL - "...Known as 'wayfinding,' the idea is to provide trail users with more information through signs and other methods to create a strong first impression and increase use." more...
Ghost Bike Removal Causes Controversy
"A homeowner removed a ghost bike from an adjacent public road. The vitim's mother wants it returned." more...
Are Bike Activists Selling Out?
"...As companies like Uber, Lyft, Lime, Bird, and Spin bring the ways of tech to bikes and scooters, they have recruited former cycling, street safety, and urbanism advocates to help them out..." more
People-Before-Cars Transpo Alliance Launches
"The New Urban Mobility alliance – NUMO for short – has been launched today in Washington, D.C..." more
E-Bike Battery Fires Cause Concerns
"...The expert is quoted as saying that Lithium-Ion batteries are, 'rather unreliable, rather explosive. You are never sure if or when they will explode'..." more
New Segway Electric Scooters
"The scooters were designed specifically for sharing services." more...
Transit Pods -- a Sign of Things to Come?
St. Louis, MO - "This is probably what the future looked like when you thought about it as a kid -- lightweight pods zipping people around the city on elevated ribbons called podways." more...
- OR: Crescent Park Greenway project underway
- TN: City approves resolution for Maryland Farms Greenway Trail project
- IRE: Ring announces €800,000 for Greenway developments
- NC: Local volunteers clean up storm damage on Vaughn Creek Greenway
- IRE: Royal Canal Greenway cycle route emerging
- GA: AU begins bike-sharing program called JagRide
- CA: Rail Trail Breaks Ground As Key Vote Looms
- CAN: Objecting to next phase of Belleville’s bike trail
- NY: Rochester bike projects roll on
- WA: Bike commutes appear to spike after viaduct closure
- TX: Make room for scooters, electric bikes on some Austin trails
- CA: Thieves swipe Urban Arrow cargo bikes
Opposed to Development Next to Red Line Greenway
Cleveland, OH - "...I'm very much in favor of dense, urban development. But dense transit-oriented development only works when balanced with accessible green space." more...
Towpath Times E-News
Read the latest edition.
U.S. Bike Route 23 in Kentucky
Gasgow, KY - "...U.S. Bike Route 23, which includes Mammoth Cave National Park, is 118 miles in length." more...
Insane Driver Runs Over Cyclist
"An Illinois judge found a hit-and-run driver not guilty of attempted murder by reason of insanity." more...
Bike Share Input Mostly Ignored in NYC, Chicago
"When New York and Chicago decided to expand their public bike share systems a few years back, city officials tried to go about it democratically..." more
E-Scooters are a Game Changer
"...We reached out to key bike advocates in Kansas City, Baltimore and Nashville to get a sense of just how big of an impact e-scooters have made in their cities..." more
The Limits of Autonomous Vehicles
"...Waymo’s CEO, John Krafcik, has admitted that a self-driving car that can drive in any condition, on any road, without ever needing a human to take control... will basically never exist..." more
Braking Issue with Lime E-Scooters
"...News broke over the weekend that Lime is pulling all of its e-scooter fleet from Switzerland, after reports came in about people being injured after multiple scooters abruptly braked on their own." more...
How Chinese Bike Share Crashed & Burned
"In a nation once known for cycling, hundreds of thousands of abandoned bikes now litter cities." more...
- MN: YIMBYs — ‘yes in my back yard’ — challenge St. Paul housing, biking, status quo
- TN: 23 pedestrians killed in Nashville, community gathers
- NY: Does NYC Need A 'Bike Mayor'?
- CAN: Vancouver bike share age limit lowered
- OR: Parks bureau will begin paving key section of ‘Sellwood Gap’
- OR: Another student hit by a driver near Harriet Tubman Middle School
- VA: Fredericksburg to add bike path, links to city's popular trails
- IA: Committee eager for SL bike routes, park development
- GA: Additional section of Cricket Frog Trail paved
- WA: Seattle bike share programs show infrequent helmet use
- NLD: Amsterdam e-bike sharing startups to get €1.2M subsidy from Brussels
Cost & Use of Trails Discussed
Goshen, IN - "A fold-out brochure that contains maps of the bicycle and multi-use routes and trails in Michiana, stirred emotions Saturday morning at the Elkhart County Council meeting." more...
E-Bike Catches Fire During Ride
AUS - "An Adelaide man has had a lucky escape after the lithium battery on his electric bike exploded." more...
- CT: New London obtains money for new walking and biking trail
- IRE: Cork County Council to vote on €15m greenway
- NH: Bike-hike trail on Amherst
- MA: Wellfleet rail trail extension design draws petitioners
Winter Maintenance on the Cannonball Trail
NW OH - "Clearing down[ed] tree on north fork today..." more
Cyclists Killed on Highway 30
OR - "...40-year-old Dustan Thompson was driving a semi-truck (without a trailer attached) southbound on the highway (toward Portland) in the rightmost lane when he collided with 54-year-old Scottie Graser. Graser was riding in the same direction..." more
Trail Users Ignoring Hunting Notices
NY - "The recreation trail at the Calverton Enterprise Park is closed this month for deer hunting season — but town officials are having a hard time keeping bicyclists and hikers off the trail..." more
Bike Lane Sabotage Continues to Spread
Manhattan, NY - "...On Thursday, police say someone intentionally sprinkled shards of glass for blocks and blocks - on the brand new bike lanes on 12th and 13th Streets, which move crosstown through the Village." more...
Getting Cars Out of Bike Lanes
- LA: Bike-share program closer to reality in Baton Rouge
- TX: VeoRide bicycles arrive on Texas A&M campus
- NY: A 2019 transportation wish list for Staten Island
- TX: Cyclist death prompts road safety discussion
- NY: Greenway panel to vote on funds for two Niagara Falls park projects
- MO: Future safety island to be built on Frisco Trail crossing
- MS: Master plan unveiled for walking, biking trails in Jackson County
Little Miami Scenic Trail Section Work Complete
Junior Ranger Pitches in to Keep CVNP Clean
Stow, OH - "Some people enjoying the Cuyahoga Valley National Park during the partial government shutdown have forgotten to 'leave no trace,' but a junior ranger is on patrol removing their litter." more...
Towns get Trail Grants for 19 Projects
CT - "The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection has awarded over $3 million in grants for 19 projects to enhance trails and greenways in towns throughout the state..." more
Residents Prepare to Fight Development near Greenway
Murfreesboro, TN - "A group of nearly 60 concerned Murfreesboro residents challenging a housing development proposal that would be built near the city's greenway..." more
Death of Bike Commuting Exaggerated
"Though fewer americans biked to work in 2017 compared to previous years, bike commuting is still way up in the last decade." more...
- TX: Ofo bicycles picked up in Bryan and College Station
- TX: Downton-museum district bike route blueprint
- CA: Santa Cruz trestle widening hailed as first Coastal Rail Trail segment
- CO: Rico Trails Alliance cycles through a hefty to-do list
- CT: Groups band together to form Eastern Riverina Rail Trail Alliance
- GA: Norcross awarded funds to begin Beaver Ruin Greenway
- OR: Help us find the person throwing nails in the Interstate Avenue bike lane
- OR: Better Naito will return three months early this year
Franklin Seeking Grant for Trail Extension
Driver Pleads Guilty in Fatal Crash
Elyria, OH - "An Amherst man pleaded guilty to aggravated vehicular homicide in connection with a crash in which a bicyclist was struck and killed in October 2017." more...
Did You Know that Bike Licenses are Required in Stow?
OH - "Stow council member at-large Mike Rasor said he’s been breaking the law -- he and thousands of other residents who live in the city of Stow." more...
$150K Settlement Expected in Apparatus Crash
Dayton, OH - "In 2015, a then-18-year-old bicyclist was hit by and trapped under a Dayton Fire Department apparatus. Now, the city is expected to settle a civil lawsuit by the bicyclist." more...
A Case for Bike Commuting in Seattle
WA - "There's definitely not going to be anything convenient about the upcoming Seattle Squeeze..." more
Residents Call for More Bike Lanes
Hampton, VA - "There's a growing concern among drivers in Hampton and York County about an increase in cyclists on a busy stretch of road." more...
1st Greenway Sweep of the Year
Medford, OR - "With a new year sometimes comes new beginnings, but for the City of Medford, 2019 looks to provide more of the same — in the form of periodic sweeps of the Bear Creek Greenway." more...
Are National Parks Closed During Shutdown?
U.S. - "...unlike in October 2013, when an Obama-era impasse resulted in a 16-day shutdown, the gates to national parks across the country have remained open. Parking lots aren’t barricaded and trailheads aren’t blocked..." more
Anatomy of an Electric Scooter Crash
"...What happens when a new mobility mode meets the American legal system?" more...
Paris will Roll Out Free Transit
FRA - "Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo... wants to make it easier for kids and families to travel the city sustainably by using transit or bike share." more...
- OR: Rogue River Greenway Trail construction to begin this summer
- IRE: County Councils’ Grand plans for Canal Greenway
- FL: County approves bike trail
- GA: Two new PATH trails will serve Emory campus
- CO: EPCC improves bike infrastructure in town
- ND: Traffic deaths declined in North Dakota in 2018
- OR: Portland moves forward with neighborhood greenway projects
- WA: Want some company biking downtown?
- AL: Unique bicycle stolen
- UK: Government Investment In Cycling Through New Market Data Service
South Old State Road Sidepath Construction
Columbus, OH - "...Newest addition along west side of South Old State Road - between Wilshire/Gladshire Blvd, E. Powell, Polaris, Wystone Dr." more...
Sparks Fly in Debate Over Electric Bicycles
NYC - "As the city’s bicycle culture continues to grow, electric bikes remain a flashpoint regarding pedestrian safety and which types of e-bikes – and what type of speed — should be allowed." more...
Bird Ends Bike Lane Subsidy
"The scooter company Bird has quietly abandoned its much-hyped plan to give cities $1 per scooter per day to build bike infrastructure..." more
Ofo Dismantles Overseas Business Unit
Shanghai - "Multiple Asian news sites are reporting that bike share giant Ofo has dissolved its overseas business unit, retreating from operating in the U.S., Hong Kong, Singapore and France." more...
- WA: Seattle highway shutdown
- OR: Showdown looms for major bike parking policy update
- WA: Waterfront bike routes will remain open during upcoming SR 99 closure
- CA: Joshua Tree park remaining open despite government shutdown
- FL: Bike-sharing program coming to Anna Maria Island
- CO: Breckenridge officials see path for e-bikes (but not scooters) in town’s future
- MA: Here’s how Massachusetts plans to be more bike-friendly
- AUS: Canberra's dockless share bikes set to roll
- NC: Middle Fork Greenway eyes halfway point by summer 2020
- NY: Funding allows DL&W Greenway and Linear Park to Commence
- CT: New London To Receive State Grant For Greenway Project
- WI: Summer work will hamper key bike route
- CA: Bike, Pedestrian, and Transit Projects Garner Top Engineering Awards
- MN: Winona approves plan for upgrading bluff trails
Trails Highlight Park District Accomplishments
Mt. Vernon, OH - "...Two of the most exciting multi-use trail accomplishments of the 2018 season included clearing the last section the HOOT (Heart of Ohio Trail) from Huffman Road to the Knox/Licking County line, which can now be mountain biked or hiked, and the completion of the Mohican Valley Trail repaving project from the Bridge of Dreams to the Knox/Holmes to the Knox/Holmes County line..." more
Related: Read the latest edition of the Knox County park newsletter.
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Development
Bike Left for a Christmas Gift
Bay Village, OH - "On Dec. 25, an officer reported that a bicycle had been left by the pedestrian door on the west side of the police station..." more
Victim's Mother Wants Justice
Warren, OH - "...Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins and Miriam Fife have worked together to see justice done in the murder of Fife’s son, Raymond, since September 1985, when Raymond, 12, was brutally murdered as he rode his bicycle to a Boy Scouts meeting." more...
Philly's Plan for Safer Residential Streets
PA - "From more than 20 Slow Zone applications, just two will be chosen for the pilot." more...
Bikes Rescued from Recycling Bin
Erie, PA - "Many seemingly good bicycles were discovered in a recycling bin at Erie's Salvation Army store in Summit Twp." more...
Former Uber Driver Pleads Guilty to Killings
MI - "A former Uber driver charged with killing six people during an hours-long shooting rampage in Michigan nearly three years ago, pleaded guilty to all charges on Monday..." more
Group Crowdfunds for New Bike Trail
Roanoke, VA - "A Roanoke Cycling group is working to get new bike trails in the city and they've turned to crowdfunding to raise money for the project." more...
Nails in the Bike Lane
Portland, OR - "...The case of nails being strewn in the bike lane on North Interstate Avenue has gone unsolved for years. Now the police and a city commissioner are on the case." more...
What's Next for Walking & Biking in the U.S?
"In 2019, our movement of biking advocates will have several opportunities to create a more Bicycle Friendly America on Capitol Hill and through local partners at the community level..." more
- MA: Boston bombing survivor hit by car
- GA: Atlanta passes new e-scooter law
- OR: Scooters back in the news: Bird in Salem and Portland
- WA: Bellevue is creating a Vision Zero action plan
- ID: E-bikes, scooters on a path to all paths in Moscow this spring
- VA: First Dockless Scooter Permit Approved In Alexandria
- TX: OjO's sit-down scooter-share debuts in Austin
- MN: 3 arrested for bike trail murder
- FL: Alachua County approves bid for rail-trail land
- IA: Warm Winter Weather Could Mean More Money For Central Iowa Trail
- NC: Landis passes on $3.9 million greenway project
- IRE: Offaly's Grand Canal Greenway gets huge €400k funding boost
- NC: Charlotte $77 million short for 26-mile greenway project
Funding Could Close Olentangy Trail Gap
Columbus, OH - "...The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission on Dec. 18 released a list of proposed new transportation projects around central Ohio that could receive federal funding. That list included nearly $3.5 million to close the Clintonville gap in the Olentangy Trail..." more
Teen Cyclist Hit by Driver, Seriously Injured
The Plains, OH - "A 15-year-old boy suffered serious injuries Saturday after being hit by a car on Ohio Rt. 682, just outside The Plains, while riding his bicycle." more...
Detroit Bike & Trail Projects for 2019
MI - "...In 2019, there will be an 'overwhelming' amount of bike and trail projects throughout the city, according to Detroit Greenways, a nonprofit organization that promotes biking, walking, tails and complete streets in Detroit." more...
New Transport App Launches
"...the app launched in 15 cities around the world, including Los Angeles, with plans to add about five cities a month." more...
Why Pedestrians ‘Break the Rules’
"...They’re more likely engage in risky behavior — like walking or rolling in the street or crossing mid-block — when the pedestrian infrastructure is incomplete or lacking." more...
China Elevates Bike Lanes
CHN - "...In the southern Chinese city of Xiamen, a visionary solution to the problem is the Bike Skyway, which enables cyclists to literally soar over cars and pedestrians on the street below." more...
Dutch Cycle Lane Hell
"Police union chief says it is impossible to keep lanes safe due to variety of vehicles and rules." more...
- SC: Gotcha Launches First Campus Bike Share System
- TN: Clarksville BCycle celebrates third year
- MN: Open houses set for St. Paul off-street hike and bike trail designs
- NY: Kudos to Gov. Cuomo for rail trail
- DE: Phase II of the Lewes-Georgetown Trail
- IL: Why parts of the Pedway can be such a mess in the winter
- CA: Mayor’s Bonebreaking Bike Collision Was No ‘Accident’
- OR: TriMet does not recognize trike as mobility device
- D.C.: Policy change allows bike riders to bring bicycles on Metro trains
- UK: Brompton stockpiles £1m of bike parts
Richland B&O Trail Section Closure
Butler, OH - From facebook.com/slowrollmansfield/, "Purdy Construction is starting clearing the Butler bridge log jam today and will be there until about Wed. 1/09. The [.5-mile] section of trail from 97 to the bridge and the opposite side of the bridge from Butler will be blocked through that time."
Middle Neshaminy Greenway Trail Open House
Newtown, PA - "The proposed alignment of the Middle Neshaminy Greenway Trail... is underway, and the Bucks County Planning Commission wants the public’s input." more...
Florida’s Biking Problem
"...I just think the motorists are just too uneducated, too distracted, they drive too fast, and we allow a certain level of behavior on our roadways that consistently imperils the safety of bicyclists and pedestrians..." more
Raised Crosswalk Aggravates Drivers
CAN - "...These are generally located near schools and are walkable speed humps that are at the same grade as the sidewalk on either side of the street..." more
Welcome to Bike 3.0
"This is Part 1 of a two-part series exploring the new market dynamic for the specialty [bicycle] retail segment, how we got there, and how the industry can respond and adapt to the new reality..." more
- OR: Portland traffic fatalities drop, while state deaths rise
- CO: Denver sidewalks to start seeing upgrades
- GA: Uber launches electric bike service in Atlanta
- CO: Will Breckenridge backpedal on e-bikes?
- AR: Cycle track, new sidewalks planned for Maple Street
- MO: Area volunteers ready trails in preparation for spring
- NY: Trails are safer than abandoned rail beds
- MT: Man rescued after snow bike accident
- UT: Where are the most dangerous roads to bike in Utah?
Connecting Portage Bike Paths
Portage County, OH - "Could Mickey Marozzi, our Portage County engineer, be a key player in turning the county’s two parallel bike-friendly trails, the Headwaters and The Portage Hike and Bike Trail, into a true bicycle trail network?" more...
Road Rage Incident That Landed Cyclist in Hospital
OH - "...Last July, they decided to take a ride along a road they've ridden dozens of times along Belpoint Road and Hinton Mills in Union County." more...
Did USA Today Publish Bad Numbers on Bay Area Cycling?
CA - "National newspaper writes that bicycle commuting dropped 19.9 percent in San Francisco... except that it didn't." more...
- OR: US judge rules against off-roading in Ochoco National Forest
- CAN: Bike-sharing firms slam door on Sault cyclists
- IRE: Greenway opportunity for Robertstown
- TX: We have a lot to accomplish in 2019
- ID: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Fremont County
Open House Event for New OTE Trail Section
Galena, OH - "Preservation Parks of Delaware County will hold a public open house and is seeking public comment on a proposed project to pave a 2.2-mile segment of the Ohio to Erie multiuse trail northeast of Sunbury..." more
Tree Removal on Heart of Ohio Trail
Knox County, OH - "Hardwick Tree Service will be working along the Heart of Ohio Trail this winter, removing trees that are too close to the blacktop, clearing lines of site at road intersections, and removing dead trees..." more
Stolen ToleGo Bike Found
Toledo, OH - "Police are still looking for a man who stole a ToleGo bicycle that was later found Friday evening." more...
More on New Ohio E-Bike Law
Winesburg, OH - "...starting next year, all E-bikes will be required to have prominently displayed labels." more...
Learn more about what e-bikes can do and how they may impact your local trails. more...
Meet America's New Rail-Trails of 2018
"This year was an exciting one for the rail-trail movement; as 2018 comes to a close, nearly 2,100 rail-trails are now open across the country..." more
Are E-Scooters a Threat to E-Bikes?
"Before I present my thoughts, it is only fair that I provide an introduction and confess..." more
- SGP: Ofo Singapore users complain of fewer bikes
- FL: Woman seriously hurt in scooter crash in Fort Lauderdale
- NC: City reopens greenway
- CT: Connecting a final gap along the Charter Oak Greenway
- VA: The bike trail that wasn’t
- VA: Master plan for Riverwalk connection
- MA: Assabet River Rail Trail will provide winter fun
- OR: A planned project could have prevented fatal collision
Construction Along Olentangy Trail
Columbus, OH - From centralohiogreenways.com, "There will be construction occurring along the Olentangy Trail in the OSU section between Herrick Drive and King Avenue from January 7th thru January 31.
"The trail will not be closed. A temporary bypass path will be provided around the work site."
Uber Charging $25 to Use Bikes Outside of "Bike Zone"
Seattle, WA - "...The zone will expand and ultimately go away as Uber adds more bikes." more...
Parking in Protected Bike Lanes Poses Danger
CA - "...There are red curbs to deter cars, but people are still parking in the no parking zones." more...
New Law Affects Scooter, Bike Trails
CA - "New road rules went into effect Tuesday for drivers across the Central Coast and state of California with an emphasis on helmet use for motorized scooters as well as reporting hit-and-run collisions on bike trails." more...
Lessons From Once-Mighty Bike Share Giants
"...E-scooter companies would be wise to adopt a different business model instead of attempting to scale up rapidly..." more
Counting Bikes in the U.S.
"...A few months ago, in collaboration with the BFC, we conducted a survey to examine the current state of bicycle counting. The survey provided a timely and much needed understanding of the way communities across the country approach bike counting, including the challenges and opportunities they face." more...
Bike-Friendly Mayor Hurt in Car-Bike Collision
CA - "Sam Liccardo, the mayor of San Jose, California, was hospitalized with a broken sternum and vertebrae." more...
- NYC: Cuomo’s L-Train Bombshell Should Not Also Kill Bus and Bike Improvements
- CA: San Diego begins construction on protected bike lanes
- IRE: First section of Slieve Bloom Bike Trail opens
- MO: Work Begins On Connecting Grant’s Trail To River des Peres Greenway
- AL: City seeking input on cycling, greenway needs
- WA: Check Out What Seattle Did with a Dead-End Street
Towpath Flooding & Hunting Closures
Stark County, OH - From Stark Parks, "Flooding over the trail has closed several spots. Expect varying trail conditions at Lake Ave. in Massillon, north of Lake Lucerne near the Summit County line, and Wooster St. near Navarre.
"The Towpath Trail between Riverland Ave. and the Tuscarawas County Line (Rt. 212) will be closed due to hunting on nearby private property from Jan. 5 to 8, 2019."
2-Year-Old Struck by Driver on Sidewalk
Cincinnati, OH - "A 2-year-old boy is fighting for his life at Cincinnati Children's Hospital after he was hit by a truck on the sidewalk." more...
Becoming a Bike-Friendly Business
Cleveland, OH - "...Cyclists like to frequent businesses they identify as bike friendly, and prospective & current employees will view your company more favorably if you take a forward approach to integrating bicycles into your company culture." more...
Trash Problem at Cuyahoga Valley National Park
OH - "...Staff members are asking the public to pack their trash out with them instead of leaving it in the park until the [government] shutdown ends." more...
Metro Opens Door to Bikes During Rush Hour
D.C. - "...The policy change is the result of decades of advocacy by local bike advocates, dating back to a seminal protest at which cyclists carried cardboard bicycles aboard Metro trains to demonstrate that there was enough room..." more
Study Reveals Some Drivers Think They Own the Road
"This will come as a surprise to exactly no one who rides a bike, but there are some car drivers out there who don’t like cyclists. Like, really don’t like cyclists." more...
Planners Outline Bike Beltway Vision
D.C. - "Transportation planners are sketching out a vision to build out a fully connected regional bike trail network by 2045, linking a “Bike Beltway” around D.C. to the rest of the suburbs surrounding the capital." more...
Thief Tries to Steal Bike at Police Station
OR - "The would-be thief surrendered after an officer walked out the front door to confront him." more...
Airbnb-Style Bicycle Rental Platform
UK - "...What would be ideal would be the ability to hop on your own bike. This is often impossible so the next best thing would be to rent a lookalike – or even a superbike..." more
- CAN: I'll bet bike share could change the game in Edmonton
- WA: More bike racks coming to Ballard and Fremont in 2019
- FL: Lime E-Assist Bikes in Orlando Creates “Dockless” Experience
- VA: New year, old problems for Roanoke trails and greenways
- CO: Longmont's 2019 projects to include construction at city parks, greenways
- NM: Rio Grande trail project one step closer to completion
- OR: Plan for new bikeway and signal on Lombard
- WA: 2018 Seattle bike counts up 32 percent on 2nd Ave downtown
Westerville Northfield Pathway
Westerville, OH - "Future north/south trail corridor (~1,200 long) that's been partially blazed between Maxtown Rd and Westdale Ave in far north Westerville." more...
Pittsburgh Drafting AV Reporting Rules
PA "...Mr. Peduto thinks it’s reasonable for companies testing robot cars on city streets to report incidents that wouldn’t necessarily end up in a police report." more...
Landowners File Lawsuit Against Rock Island Trail
MO - "...Two lawsuits contend land owners adjacent to the corridor should be compensated..." more
Arizonans Attack Self-Driving Cars
Chandler, AZ - "...Some people have pelted Waymo vans with rocks, according to police reports. Others have repeatedly tried to run the vehicles off the road..." more
Bikes for Disabled People in Cardiff
UK - "People with disabilities will be able to hire specially adapted bikes around Cardiff via an app as a public cycle share scheme expands across the city." more...
- MN: St. Paul’s First-Ever Pedestrian Plan
- TX: San Antonio mayor’s transit plan
- LA: What’s next for New Orleans' bike lane network?
- WA:Seattle will get a major bike rack boost in 2019
- D.C.: The District’s long road to building a half-mile bike lane
- UK: Elan Valley Trust submit plans for more adventurous bike trails
- GA: New stretch of Pinhoti Trail opens near Cedartown
Plans for 'Hanging Rock' Marker along Bike Path
Chardon, OH - "...City Manager Randy Sharpe noted that the city obtained a grant to recognize 'Hanging Rock' with a historical marker. The site will be on the next portion of the Maple Highlands Trail south of the square. more...
Knox County Parks 2018 Recap
Mt Vernon, OH - "...Our interns hosted numerous programs from Birding by Kayak to Moonlit Miles on the bike trails and a band concert at Thayer Ridge Park..." more
Master Plan for 500-Mile Trail
Santa Fe, NM - "A master plan that charts out the next steps for developing a 500-mile trail along the Rio Grande from one end of New Mexico to the other has been adopted." more...
The Rise and Fall of China’s Cycling Empires
"China’s bike-sharing firms were supposed to be the next big thing..." more
- CT: ‘Llama walks’ bring visitors to local trails
- GA: Honoring Atlanta’s top 2018 wins for walking, biking
- CT: Middletown’s Jonah Center focusing on pedestrian, cyclist access
- TX: Some legislators pushing to fully fund busy state parks
Lake Trail Becomes "Speedway" for Bicycles
FL - "...Coniglio said she has contacted a couple of bicycle clubs to remind them there’s a 10-mph speed limit on the trail and that bicyclists must yield to pedestrians." more...
Development Costs Could Sink Potential 144-Mile Trail Corridor
Eugene, MO - "...Park officials said they're concerned with the potential cost of developing the corridor, which could hurt the state's ability to operate existing parks..." more
Lime Lobbies for Embracing Scooters
NC - "...instead of embracing this subsidy-free solution, the City Council seems bent on suffocating it." more...
- CA: San Fran’s ambitious goal to eliminate traffic deaths slipping
- CT: Grand opening for Weston rail trail slated for next summer
- NY: Rail Trail Controversy Shows Master Plan Has Teeth
- IRE: Steady progress with various Grand Canal Greenway plans
Drunk Driver Kills Cyclist
Butler County, PA - "David Lohr, 51, of Oak Court is facing aggravated assault and DUI charges after allegedly striking a cyclist and dragging him..." more
New East Coast Greenway Section Opens
Bolton, CT - "A new 3-mile section of the East Coast Greenway has opened in Eastern Connecticut." more...
Falling Tree Kills Woman at Smoky Mountains Park
Gatlinburg, TN - "A woman from Texas has been killed by a tree knocked down by high winds..." more
London Bike Share Bikes Hired 35,000 Times on Christmas Day
UK - "On Christmas Day there were no buses operating in London. Nor were there any Tube trains or trams. River taxis were also taking the day off..." more
- NE: Lincoln's bike-share program rolling into second year
- NY: Staten Island's top 2018 transportation stories
- MO: Community members clean up park to make bike path
- CAN: Rail trail campaign highlights 2018
- OK: Mountain biking impacting Claremore economy
- FL: Father of doctor killed in bicycle crash has questions
- NY: Rail bike company sues train line owner
Towpath Connection Construction Expected in 2019
Bolivar, OH - "...The grant will help fund the connection McDonnell Trailhead on the border of Stark and Tuscarawas counties with existing Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail heading toward Bolivar. Pending approval, work on this section of trail is expected to begin in 2019." more...
Nature Center Planned for Former Pump House
Resident Speaks Out for Bike Safety on Roads
Granger Twp., OH - "...DeVon Griffin said he found out the trustees had rejected Bike Medina County’s proposal to add signs to township roads enforcing the State of Ohio’s 3-foot passing law for vehicles passing bicycles and expressed his views on the matter as a bicyclist..." more
Thieves Stealing Bikes From Homeless
Grand Rapids, MI - " It’s a crime that would even make the Grinch flinch: people are stealing bikes from the homeless." more...
NYC Traffic Fatalities Lower, But Ped Deaths Climb
NYC - "...a slightly higher number of pedestrians and motorcyclists died this year than in 2017, stats show..." more
Google Mapping the Queenstown Trail
NZL - "...Google has been mapping the 120km trail for the past couple of weeks, as part of a project led by the Queenstown Trails Trust and the Queenstown Lakes District Council Parks and Reserves team." more...
Section of River Trail Opens for Skating
CAN - "The Forks said the rink on the river at the port is now open, with extensions of the Red River Mutual Trail to follow, provided the weather cooperates." more...
Hellobike Raises Millions, Despite Bike-Sharing Woes
"Today news broke that Hellobike, a China-based bike-sharing startup, has raised a new raft of cash..." more
- MA: 2019 will be another big year in Boston transportation
- AL: Flooding at Indian Creek Greenway catches citizens off guard
- TN: Murfreesboro neighbor fights town house development near greenway
- WA: Greenway rape suspect sentenced to life in prison with minimum of 16 years
- IRE: GST greenway vies with 20 projects
- UK: Anger as new walking and cycling route not prioritised
- CA: report calls for more park and trail connectivity
- TX: Person of interest identified in slaying of father riding bike
- MA: Train Station Bike Thief Caught
- TX: Serial thief arrested after allegedly stealing bike
Towpath Trailhead Improvements in Bolivar
OH - "Parking at McDonnell Trailhead along the Ohio & Erie Canal Towpath Trail is now smoother and safer for visitors of the trail...
To continue reading, see the latest edition of the Towpath Times.
Rails-to-Trails Case Progresses
Car Break-In at Lunken Airport Bike Trail
Cincinnati, OH - "...Lisa Graham said she came to the Lunken Airport Bike Trail the weekend before Christmas to walk her dogs, but when she came back to her vehicle, the window was shattered and her wallet was missing." more...
Where Can I Ride My E-Bike in the Cleveland Area?
OH - "...Before we can delve into where you can take them, a basic understanding of the categories is needed – as many of the restrictions are based upon them." more...
Feds Rule in Favor of Trail
Fishers, IN - "Federal regulators have ruled in favor of a plan to convert central Indiana's Nickel Plate Railroad corridor into a recreational trail." more...
Slight Climb in Gross Bike Sales
Boulder, CO - "...Year-to-date figures through November show a 4 percent increase in dollars and a 9 percent decrease in units." more...
Hit-and-Run Driver Kills Teen, Flees U.S.
Portland, OR - "...Law enforcement officials now say they believe Noorah got an illicit passport and boarded a plane — likely a private carrier — to flee the country." more...
- MO: Why wouldn’t Missouri accept donation for 144-mile hike and bike trail?
- TX: Suspect in hike-and-bike trail sexual assault was insane, judge rules
- MD: West OC Bike Path Review Raises Bridge Questions
- IL: Plans are to keep expanding Greenway Project
- IL: Potential Benefits of Electric Dockless Scooter-Sharing
New Gravel Grinders Website
OH - Check it out.
1st U.S. City with Over 2M Trips on Lime Bikes
Seattle, WA - "Lime’s recently-released year-end 2018 report boasts some staggering numbers for the bikeshare service, both in Seattle and across the globe." more...
Decapitation of Ashland Man Remains Unsolved
OR - "...The 23-year-old was walking on the bike path along the Bear Creek Greenway near Hunter Park when someone nearly decapitated him." more...
Cars Kill More Kids Than Guns Do
"A new study looks at causes of deaths among children..." more
- NY: Niagara Falls seeks input on becoming more bike-friendly
- LA: Lafitte Greenway lighting under repair as officials plot better security
- MN: Regional Trail bridge officially connects two states, three counties
- AK: Group looks to make Beaver Loop Road bike friendly
- ID: E-bike program sounds like a good deal for city, UI
Cannonball Trail Year-End Updates
NW OH - "...We have accomplished much this year from our [Cannonball] trail extension on south fork into Liberty Center, our involvement w/ Williams County active Transportation plan committee, the establishment of trailhead/ w parking lot on Williams cty RD 17, to the improvement of our Oak Savanna in Fulton county and much more." more...
Bikes and Ohio Laws
Cleveland, OH - "We have updated our Bikes and the Law page with help from our supporters at Knabe Law Firm Co., LPA and the Ohio Bike Lawyer - Steve Magas. It's a good refresh for what your rights are, your responsibilities as a rider, and ... your responsibilities when you are the one behind the wheel of an automobile." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest news.
More MTBiking Options Coming in 2019
Glen Jean, WV - "Mountain biking options in southern West Virginia will be expanding next year, thanks to a new partnership..." more
Greenway Sues City of Yakima
WA - "The City of Yakima is being sued over its decision to rezone land near the Yakima Greenway for use as a permanent homeless shelter." more...
E-Bikes Voted Down on JoCo Parks Trails
MO - "...The county Park & Recreation District’s Board of Commissioners on Wednesday voted against a proposal that would have allowed visitors to use e-bikes and electronic unicycles on the 15-mile Gary L. Haller Trail..." more
North Dakota’s National Parks Remain Open During Shutdown
ND - "...The National Park Services says national parks in North Dakota will remain 'as accessible as possible' during the partial shutdown." more...
Latest Shift Up Podcast
Denver, CO - "In the latest Shift Up podcast, host Arleigh Greenwald takes her regular quarterly look at the State of the Industry..." more
- HI: Kona bikeshare to expand
- CA: Glen Park GoBike station could add congestion
- AR: Little Rock Partners With E-Scooter Company To Launch Pilot Program
- MN: Council approves agreements for bike, pedestrian transportation plan
- NY: Newark gets state funding for canal trail improvements
- CA: Larkspur bike route upgrade cleared for $10.6M boost
ToleGO Bikes will Stay Out for the Winter
Toledo, OH - "...They’re specially fabricated to endure the cold, wet winter months and can be ridden so long as the roads and sidewalks are clear." more...
Parents Rally for Safer Streets
Cincinnati, OH - "...Two more students went to the hospital this week with injuries after drivers struck them on their walks to school through West Price Hill." more...
Friends of Madison County Parks & Trails E-News
Madison County, OH - Read the latest edition.
Cyclists Aid Man in Distress
Bellevue, NE - "A group of men are being hailed as heroes after finding a man who had been trapped in a car in a creek all night." more...
Cyclists Say Reconstruction Plan Puts Them in Danger
NYC - "A plan to reconstruct the rotunda over Riverside Park at 79th Street does not include a protected bike lane, a factor that angered some residents who attended a meeting last week." more...
The Weirdest Places We Found Scooters
"Scooters were everywhere in 2018. Here’s proof." more...
Government Shutdown & the Towpath Trail
Based on shutdowns during the previous administration, here's what you can expect: The trail should be open, but some (or all) of the facilities may be closed, as staff may not be available to maintain them.
Here's the official word from the National Parks website, "...Some national parks may remain accessible to visitors; however, access may change without notice. Some parks are closed completely. Some visitor services may be available when provided by concessioners or other entities. For most parks, there will be no National Park Service-provided visitor services, such as restrooms, trash collection, facilities, or road maintenance..." more
Simon Kenton Trail Section Closing Dec. 26
Urbana, OH - "Weather permitting, a section of the Simon Kenton Trail, South of Urbana, from State Route 55 to Hickory Grove Road, will be totally closed beginning Wednesday, December 26th-Friday, December 28th..." more
The "Bicycle Beltway" Vision
D.C. - "...the “Bicycle Beltway,” formally known as the National Capital Trail, would be a 60-mile loop circling the region and crossing through Maryland. Virginia and the District..." more
Officers Track Down Stolen Kids Bikes in Time for Christmas
CA - "A family has law enforcement to thank for tracking down two stolen bicycles intended for children who lost their bikes in the Carr Fire." more...
Plan to Route Pathway Through St. Louis
MO - "The face of St. Louis is changing thanks to the proposed Chouteau Greenway..." more
- TN: Explore Bike Share poised for 2019 growth
- TX: New bicycle, pedestrian plan for Lubbock
- CT: Litchfield Bancorp donates to community greenway effort
- TN: Snag with Dayton greenway project could be blessing
- VT: New Bike Path Work Is Underway on Barre Street
2018 was the Year of the Scooter
"...They could also be the kick in the butt that cities need to demand safe streets." more...
E-Bike Industry Requests Exemption from Tariffs
"PeopleForBikes and the Bicycle Product Suppliers Association have submitted requests on the industry's behalf for exemption from the 25 percent tariff on Chinese-made e-bikes that took effect last summer..." more
6 Things D.C. has Learned About Scooters & Dockless Bikes
D.C. - "Overall ridership increased significantly, but the growth was uneven across the city." more...
Zwift Secures $120M Investment
Long Beach, CA - "...The company, which started with a gaming-style virtual riding experience, has expanded into a running game and non-gaming indoor training options..." more
- FL: A trail that could transform walking in Jacksonville
- IL: Common-sense ideas for improving bike safety in Naperville
- FL: BikeWalkLee declares it’s Complete Streets Champion of the Year
North Coast Inland Trail Progress
Huron County, OH - "...The connector from the east end of the bridge to SR 60 and the Wakeman US 20 bikeway will be completed in the coming months. The final section of trail in Lorain County west of Kipton is now paved and open as is the US 20 Bikeway."
For more Huron County NCIT news, check out FRTTI's latest newsletter.
Navy Pier Flyover Partially Opens for Bikers
Chicago, IL - "Those who use the Lakefront Trail will now be able to avoid some downtown traffic." more...
Seattle & Bellevue Make Best New Bikeways List
WA - "Seattle and Bellevue both turned heads nationally with protected bike lanes that opened this year, making People For Bikes’ list of 'America’s 10 Best New Bikeways of 2018'." more...
RTC is Stronger Than Ever
"...We have grown significantly in the past two decades, seizing new opportunities to first build rail-trails and now to maximize those trails by connecting them with each other. Today, we have powerful initiatives underway designed to catalyze the development of trail networks nationwide." more...
- OR: City will stripe unprotected bike lanes on N Denver
- OR: Opposition to TriMet’s Gideon Overcrossing project
- ID: Bike share program expected at UI, Moscow this spring
- MD: Despite scooters, gridlock continues in Baltimore
- CO: DU Leads the Way in Multimodal Transportation
- SC: Swamp Rabbit Trail extension progress unclear
- CT: Bridgeport Council backs Pequonnock bike trail
- CA: New Carpinteria bike path will have far reaching connections
- CAN: Residents get say on options for Byron gravel pit
- NH: Moose Mountains Regional Greenways receives LCHIP grant
- CA: Marin North-South Greenway gets $10 million
Alum Creek Trail Connector Paved
$90M Indiana Trail Program
IN - "By the year 2020, Indiana wants to put a hiking and biking trail within 5 miles of every Hoosier." more...
AVs Allowed Back on Streets in Pittsburgh
PA - "...PennDOT issued Uber’s official 'letter of authorization' allowing the company to return its robot cars to city streets in autonomous mode for the first time since March, following a fatal accident in Tempe, Ariz." more...
20.9 Miles of Protected Bike Lanes Built This Year
NYC - "...The shortfall in protected bike lane installation comes as the city is headed for one of the safest years in history, with fewer than 200 roadway fatalities for the first time..." more
Man Claims to Have Completed Coast-to-Coast Self-Driving Trip
"If true, it would be the longest recorded autonomous road trip without human intervention." more...
- OR: Proposed bill would clarify definition of bike lanes
- GA: City looks to bridge the gap with the new Follow Me Trail
- CA: Uber’s JUMP Enters San Diego’s Burgeoning Dockless Scooter Market
- NC: More bike trail work approved
- CT: Clearing a Way Forward with the Shoreline Greenway Trail
- GA: Brookhaven to redo eminent domain vote
Proposed Solon Trail "Stuck in the Mud"
Solon, OH - "It's a tough road that the proposed Solon to Chagrin Falls Trail is traveling." more...
MORPC Proposes $21M in Federal Projects
OH - "The Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission has proposed more than $21 million in federal funding for projects such as the Olentangy Trail and improvements to Fishinger Road in Upper Arlington." more...
Bike Share Programs See What Attracts Riders
Harrisburg, PA - "A full year into bike share programs in some midtate cities, communities have a better idea of what works and what doesn't." more...
Senator Allegedly Parks in Bike Lane
NY - "Kevin Parker sent the taunt to a senate staffer who noted his parking placard was found on a car in a Manhattan bike lane." more...
Final Vote Looms for Created Butte Trail
CO - "The 'high-priority' 83-mile trail will encounter highways, rivers and neighbors concerned about limiting the impact on wildlife and the environment as the state pursues a more expansive trail connection." more...
Residents Want Trail, Not Train
Santa Cruz, CA - "Supporters of Santa Cruz County Greenway presented signatures Tuesday of 10,000 county residents on a petition backing a trail instead of a train on the 32-mile rail corridor..." more
Uber's New Jump E-Bikes
"New features include swappable batteries, retractable locks, and a phone mount." more...
82 Bike Friendly Businesses
"Today, the League of American Bicyclists is honoring 82 businesses in 30 states with its prestigious Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB) designation. This award recognizes companies for their efforts to promote and support active, healthy transportation options for their employees, customers, and guests." more...
Are E-Scooter Unsafe?
"...The CDC is gearing up to do the first authoritative study of e-scooter safety. The study will examine 68 e-scooter injuries that took place over a two-month period in Austin..." more
- MA: Salem Bike Share Gets A Push From Blue Cross
- UK: Uber’s JUMP bike-share scheme planning to launch in UK and Ireland
- MD: Cleveland Avenue changes reduced congestion
- NJ: 44 acres of forest preserved in Byram
- WI: Possible bicycle train connection between La Crosse and La Crescent
- WI: Fat bike trails coming to Kewaunee County
- FL: Teen Killed on Bicycle in Pembroke Pines Wasn't Hit-and-Run Victim
- CA: $5.6M Bike, Pedestrian Pathway Set for Construction in Chula Vista
- MT: A better way to pay for sidewalks
- UK: London's new official plan for cycling is bold but has a major flaw
- BEL: "Murder Strip" is not just a Word of the Year 2018
- OR: Oregon’s bike tax revenue is far below expectations
- FL: Birthday boy robbed at gunpoint, has bicycle stolen
Towpath Trail Construction Updates
WKU Bike Share Eyes Expansion
KY - "After a fleet of bikes arrived this month on Western Kentucky University’s campus as part of a new way for students and staff to get around, the program is eyeing expansion into downtown Bowling Green." more...
Dad Confronts Bike Thief
Nitro, WV - "...Clark said he was on his way into work, just hours after the theft, when he saw that same suspect, in the same clothes, walking over the bridge with his daughter's bike." more...
The Rock Island Trail Would be Game-Changer
MO - "...The planned Rock Island Trail would intersect the Katy Trail, a popular 240-mile rail-trail route that traverses the rolling terrain along the Missouri River. It also would link up with a recently opened 47-mile segment, the Rock Island Spur of Katy Trail State Park, which connects the Katy Trail to the greater Kansas City area..." more
London's Cycling Action Plan
UK - "...This five-year plan sets out the timescale for tripling the number of protected cycleways since Khan came to office and also reveals new quality standards for cycling infrastructure." more...
Google Maps Recommending Lime Bikes Option
Seattle, WA - "Lime’s bikes and scooters now show up as a transit option in Google Maps in a select number of cities..." more
The Pedestrian Strikes Back
"Officials in several countries are getting the message: Cities are about people, not cars." more...
Panic Ensues Over Ofo Refunds
"Troubled bike-share startup Ofo, which has been quitting cities around the planet this year, has a fresh crisis – millions of people are demanding their deposits back." more...
- WA: Tents blocking sidewalks, steep sidewalk grades
- NY: Here’s a Solution for Fixing the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway
- FL: Cardiologist killed by driver in Maitland bicycle crash
- UT: Teen arrested ifor breaking into business for 3rd time to steal a bike
- TX: Waco considers expanding bike sharing pilot program to include scooters
- TN: Phase I in Greenway Project gets state okay
- NC: Council: Build I-87 with bike trail
- KY: Mountain bike trail to be developed in Barren County
Water on the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway
Athens, OH - "The #HockingRiver is cresting this morning, and it is currently flooding the Hockhocking Adena Bikeway at the low culvert between Stimson Ave and the US33 overpass. The waters are predicted to recede and the path should be passable by tomorrow, Tuesday, Dec 18, 2018." more...
NCIT Clearing in Norwalk
New Trails & Bike Lanes Coming to Dayton
OH - "West Dayton has few bike lanes but some major projects in the works will make it easier to ride a bicycle there." more...
West Philly Residents Form Transit Task Force
Philadelphia, PA - "Philadelphia continues to see more traffic deaths than any county in the state." more...
Changes Planned to Boost Bike Share Ridership
Lancaster, PA - "...The main problem, several would-be users told LNP, is the limited number of pick-up and drop-off locations..." more
Bird Scooters Taking a Bath
"Why do people keep throwing electric scooters into rivers and lakes?.." more
- GA: Wait is finally over for trail spanning Victory Drive in Columbus
- CAN: More bike lanes proposed
- WI: Historic Belleville train depot on its way to new life and use
- NC: Weather delays work on Wilson’s first greenway
Simon Kenton Trail Fundraising Totals
Urbana, OH - "...We are 'Over the Top' on the Honda of America paving challenge with a final amount donated by the November 30th deadline of $30,250.
"...[Honda's] $25,000 match brings the amount in the paving fund to $55,250 at the end of November..." more
New Opportunity for Marquette Greenway Funding
IN - "The Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission's hope for a federal grant to pay most of the cost of completing the Marquette Greenway was disappointed last week..." more
E-Scooters Normalize Scooting for Adults
NZL - "...While the lime scooter craze continues its popularity in Auckland and Christchurch, other Kiwis are opting for foot-powered scooters - including dusting off their childhood, metal-framed scooters for their commute." more...
- CO: Slow down on bike trail proposal
- MT: Trails, bike paths worth $2 a month
- IRE: Girl rushed to hospital after being hit by tree while cycling during storm
Towpath Section Closes Until Spring
Peninsula, OH - From NPS.gov, "The Towpath is closed between Deep Lock Quarry and Hunt Farm [in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park] for bridge replacement through early spring. There are no detours available."
Big Walnut Creek Trail Bridge Connector
Gahanna, OH - "New Big Walnut Creek Trail bridge connector between Ol Ridenour Rd (Gahanna golf course/Lower McCorkle Park) and E. Johnston Rd/Mill St at Cherrybottom Rd. 2018-2019 construction project..." more
Hoosier National Forest Trail Use Permits Available
IN - "The Hoosier National Forest, operated by the U.S. Forest Service, has more than 260 miles of recreational trails, spread over nine counties..." more
Striped Sign Poles in Seattle
"...When you approach an intersection in Seattle, the stripes immediately show you whether people entering the intersection from other directions must stop..." more
Suspect Held in Bike Test-Ride Thefts
CA - "Police here have arrested a suspect in a series of thefts at Southern California bike shops in which fake identification and credit cards were used to take high-end bikes out on test rides and never return them." more...
NABSA Includes Micro-Mobility Plans for 2019
"The North American Bike-share Association (NABSA) has unveiled its strategic vision for 2019, including plans to integrate shared micro-mobility options into its bike-shares." more...
- MD: Dockless Bike-Share Program Rolls into North Bethesda
- WA: Renton tables bikeshare program, for now
- CO: Man’s super app tracks Denver dockless bikes and scooters
- LA: Possible accidental delivery of Bird electric scooters has officials chirping
- OR: New diverters part of plan to keep drivers off side streets
- SD: E-Bikes Could Soon Hit the Sioux Falls Bike Path
- WA: Bellevue installs new bike-safe bus platform
- FL: Upcoming Railroad Abandonment in Alachua County
- WA: Missing Link megastudy did not adequately address economic concerns
Stage 1 Towpath Bridge Installed
Cleveland, OH - "Thursday morning crews installed a 211 foot, 211,000 pound galvanized steel truss bridge spanning the Cuyahoga River that passes under Harvard Rd..." more
Board Recommends $26M for Recreation Projects
Lansing, MI - "A state panel has recommended awarding $26 million in grants for outdoor recreation projects and land purchases." more...
Detroit to Spend More on Bike Lane Snow Removal
MI - "The city of Detroit increased its residential snow plowing budget by 20 percent and bought equipment to help keep protected bike lanes clear." more...
Trail in Development at Meyer Broadway Park
MI - "...St. Joseph County Parks and Recreation Department plans to put finishing touches on a seven-mile trail. It has been developed as a loop inside a forested section of Meyer Broadway Park in Fabius Township." more...
Scout Reserve Opens 35-mile Bike Trail System
WV - "Area mountain bikers will soon be able to ride the Summit-Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve’s 35-mile network of mountain bike trails, as well as a dual-slalom course, a skills park and a dirt-jump learning zone, during the months the Reserve is not being used for Scouting encampments." more...
U.S. Driving Schools to Teach "Dutch Reach"
"You’ve just parked your car. It’s time to open the door and get out. Which hand do you use to reach for the handle?" more...
U.S. Leads World in Traffic Deaths
"A new report on global traffic deaths illustrates exactly why the U.S. trails the developed world on traffic safety..." more
- CO: Bike lane controversy heats up in Colorado Springs
- OR: Let us take trikes on MAX
- WA: WSDOT is testing out a less bumpy gap cover on the 520 Bridge trail
- VT: Changing Mountain Bike Advocacy and Building a Ton of Trail in the Process
- VA: Court tosses permit for pipeline to cross Appalachian Trail
- GA: Brookhaven begins work on Greenway’s ‘model mile’
- OR: Greenway Sweeps estimated to cost taxpayers $72,000 per year
- VA:City Reacts to News of Bike Trail Improvements
- IA: Officials vote to not allow road crossing at popular trail
- GA: CAT ending bike share program in new year
- KS: Fort Scott introduces new "Bike Share" program
- OR: Bike-share program logs nearly 150,000 miles in first six months
- CA: City Launches ‘Pace’ Bike Share Program
- CA: Ford GoBike adds e-bikes to East Bay fleet
- GA: Chatham Area Transit ending bikeshare program
Hit-and-Run Driver Hunted by FBI
"...The pursuit and arrest of Chan Reyes is notable not only because it spanned the globe, but because authorities don’t often go to such lengths when a cyclist is killed..." more
Concerns Raised about Self-Driving Program Before Fatal Collision
"An 890-word email was sent to Uber’s executives that raised safety concerns about the company’s autonomous vehicle program just days before an Uber vehicle killed a pedestrian in Arizona last March..." more
County Restricts Cannabis Operations Near Trails
CA - "...Supervisors’ unanimous vote made that policy official when it comes to buffers between county trails and pot businesses. The county now will require 1,000-foot setbacks from such trails..." more
- GA: Why are pedestrian and bicyclist deaths increasing in metro Atlanta?
- NM: City faces upwards of $400 million in needed sidewalk, curb repairs
- OR: Bird trying to get back on the street in Portland
- WA: Seattle Bike Advisory Board Chair dismissed by mayor
- FL: Pinellas County student hit by car while riding bike to school
- OR: Man, 87, reunited with stolen $2,700 bike
- CAN: Charrette to take place for the 100 Street Greenway
- CA: Jump Electric Bikes Inches into the Portola
- NE: See how much bike lanes cost vs. traffic lanes for Lincoln
- IA: Bicycles top of mind in Cedar Rapids plans
- CA: Community voices support, concerns on Mt. Tam e-bike use
- NC: Franklin looks at greenway connection
- IRE: Kilkenny Greenway will be link in regional chain
$340K Secured for Epic Trail Corridor
WV - "...[these funds] will specifically help acquire three segments of disused CSX corridor totaling 3.35 miles along a developing 150-mile stretch of rail-trail from Parkersburg to the state’s border with Pennsylvania." more...
Ann Arbor's Rapidly Shifting Mobility Landscape
MI - "This time last year, most Ann Arborites thought of scooters as a children's toy..." more
MoBo Providing Adaptive Alternative Bike Share Options
"...Programs in cities like Detroit have only recently started offering adaptive alternatives while cities like New York and Chicago don’t offer adaptive bikes..." more
Cycling Advocate Hit by Truck on Highway
CA - "A cycling safety advocate is in critical condition as a result of injuries she suffered when she was hit by a truck while biking in Encinitas." more...
Rails-to-Trails Call to Action
"America’s next great rail-trail could be a world-class tourism draw, connecting dozens of small towns and bringing millions of dollars to local communities.
"Or it could be lost forever, if officials turn down a historic offer to preserve this 144-mile rail corridor.
"Speak out now to help keep America’s next great rail-trail on track!" more...
- D.C.: Bicycling group wants to charge cars to enter the city
- CA: Cop Races Down Howard Bike Lane
- MA: Bike-sharing boomed in the Boston area in 2018
- CHN: GPS bike-share program in China credited with reducing gridlock and smog
- UK: Collaboration Is Key For Cardiff Bike Share Success
- CA: Mill Valley snags ‘bike-friendly’ designation
- CHN: Amid GDPR Probe, Mobike To Sell Europe Branch
- NV: Hundreds Of Rental Bikes In Reno To Hibernate For Winter
- MO: Archaeological Survey for Trail Project to Begin Soon
- KS: Sex offender arrested in homeless camp shooting near Wichita bike path
- VA: County Readies Update of Cycling Infrastructure Plans
- UT: Fishing line tripwire found on bike path
Ohio Passes E-Bike Law
Columbus, OH - "Gov. John Kasich has signed a bill making Ohio the 11th state with an e-bike law supported by the industry." more...
Girard Seeks Funding to Cleanup Leatherworks Site
Girard, OH - "...Mayor James Melfi said he would like to see the grant application moved froward, so the city can get a jump on the recreational projects it has planned, such as bike trails." more...
New Millworks Owners Putting Down Roots
New Walking/Biking Trail Planned for Bridgeport
WV - "...the city has received a $120,000 Transportation Alternative grant through... to design a 2 mile trail connecting the Bridgeport Outdoor Recreation Complex to Compton Park." more...
Robbery Suspects Getaway on Lime Bikes
Seattle, WA - "Local bikeshares are meant to make it more convenient for Seattleites to get around; even, apparently, when they need a getaway vehicle after a robbery." more...
Driver Tells Cyclist He Can Safely Use Phone, Then Crashes
UK - "A cyclist called out a man for using his phone while driving. Moments later, the driver—who had insisted he could drive safely while on his phone—crashed his car..." more
- WA: Man recovering from Harvard Ave E hit and run Friday
- MA: Valley Bike Share program wraps up first season, eyes expansion
- IA: Cedar Rapids bike share back on for May 2019
- IA: Mason City bike-share program experiences challenging first year
- LA: Scooters storm Lafayette
- TX: Ofo customers wonder if they'll get refunds after service shuts down
- AUS: Can Lime scooters do what o-Bike couldn’t?
- IRE: BleeperBike in crowdfunding debut
- MA: Paved path breaks ground on Watertown-Cambridge Greenway
- TN: Dayton greenway project put on hold
- CA: Palm Trees Removed to Preserve Historic Encinitas Rail Trail
Fairfield Plans to Extend Great Miami Bike Trail
Fairfield, OH - "...That includes extending the Great Miami River trail, which ends in Fairfield at Waterworks Park, through Marsh Park and connecting it to the Hamilton County’s portion of the trail just south of the park." more...
Canal Fulton Looks to Improve Connectivity
Canal Fulton, OH - "The city is conducting a study to review sidewalk needs, improve connections between neighborhoods, improve accessibility to trails and recreation areas and encourage the use of bicycles." more...
More Clark County Kids will get Bikes this Year
Springfield, OH - "...This week, the Salvation Army teamed up with Walmart and Rollins Moving and Storage to complete shopping for more than 150 bikes to be delivered to Clark County kids during the holidays..." more
Council Members Want Transit App
Cincinnati, OH - "Council members Tamaya Dennard and Greg Landsman want the city to study the possibility of creating a single app from which riders can select and pay for rides from SORTA, rideshare, bike-share and scooter rental companies." more...
A New Manassas, Safe for Bikes & Pedestrians
TN - "...Our priority was to create a safer street for all users – pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles — and we’re very proud of the results..." more
Strava Data Suggests Bike Commuting Boom
"30% increase in commuting sees North Americans ditch their cars in favor of the bicycle for smaller journeys..." more
- CA: San Jose mayor to scooter companies: innovate or get out
- VT: Green Mountain Club debuts digital download trail maps
- TX: New hike and bike trail open to the community
- CO: Completion of Fossil Creek Trail connects Fort Collins trail system
- MN: Battle Lake receives bike-friendly status
- WA: 2 major street projects go to rest for the winter
- EUR: Mobike faces probe by Berlin data protection regulator
- AR: Fayetteville Fully Focused On Cycling, Walking
Trailblazers in Monroe County
PA - "...Horan is pulling together decades of trail plans and maps, updating them, and identifying opportunities for connections..." more
Distracted Driver Kills Bicyclist
TN - "The Tennessee Highway Patrol says a man was distracted by his cell phone Friday afternoon when he crashed in Loudon County, killing a bicyclist." more...
Performance Bike Store Closings Begin
Boston, MA - "Gordon Brothers announced today that it will begin store closing sales at 102 Performance Bicycle locations across the country..." more
- CA: Burlingame embraces dockless bike sharing
- NY: Bike lanes, smarter traffic signals – and roundabouts
- CA: $132M for Sacramento region transportation projects
- AUS: New Caloundra MTB trail opens
- CA: Cirque du Soleil performer falls off BMX bike during SF ‘Volta’ performance
- CO: Denver woman offers reward for stolen bikes
Kokosing Gap Trail Closure
OB: Unfortunately no details were given as to where the closing is taking place, why the section is closed, or when it may reopen. If you are able to provide more details regarding this closure, please contact us and we will update accordingly.
Pacers Bikeshare Expanding in 2019
IN - "The Indiana Pacers Bikeshare program, whose network of 29 stations is focused almost entirely downtown, plans to roll out 23 new stations next summer..." more
Learn to Bike Share Safely in Snow & Slush
Detroit, MI - "MoGo bike-sharing is for all Detroit seasons, says the nonprofit organization..." more
'Keystone Bike Trail' Could Cost $6M
Bellefonte, PA - "A two-and-a-half mile bike trail connecting Bellefonte to Milesburg could become a reality, but it’s going to take a community effort..." more
Trail Alliance Formed to Offer MTBike Access
WV - "The New River Gorge Trail Alliance has announced a new partnership with The Summit Bechtel Family National Scout Reserve, which will allow mountain bikers to ride the world-class bike trails at the Summit Bechtel Reserve." more...
In-Depth Look at Greenway Sweeps
OR - "You might have seen the photos shared by local law enforcement-- piles of trash, needles and old clothes left behind by homeless camps after police wipe through the Bear Creek Greenway during their monthly sweeps." more...
- IL: Chicago survey finds dockless bikeshare more popular than Divvy-style
- MD: Lime is bringing dockless bike share to Baltimore this weekend
- WA: SDOT reports 20 percent decrease in cyclists, blames weather
- IA: 2 more ‘pieces’ of Story County’s trails are planned for 2019
- WA: Geiger Blvd will get turning lane, new pavement, pedestrian and bike trail
- OR: All Performance Bike stores closing in Portland
Disagreement Over Solon Trail Continues
Solon, OH - "Residents and some council members continue to question the need for a $37,000 design and engineering study for the proposed Solon-to-Chagrin Falls recreational trail." more...
More Support for Countywide Bike Plan
Port Clinton, OH - "...The resolutions approving the plan are intended to enable future funding opportunities, such as state and federal grants, for its implementation and eventual construction of the bike trail." more...
Towpath Times E-News
NE OH - Read the latest edition.
Man Arrested for Trying to Run Down Cyclist
TX - "...The man was arrested for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He is in Taylor County Jail on a $25,000 bond." more...
Tacks Dumped in Bike Lane
NY - "...he saw them scattered across the parkway for four blocks he traveled." more...
8 Wins for TrailNation in 2018
"...Here is a spotlight on some of the critical project advances we made in 2018—and how they are bringing to life our vision of trails at the heart of healthy, thriving communities." more...
61 New and Renewing U.S. Bike Friendly Communities
"The League of American Bicyclists honored 61 towns and cities in 27 states with prestigious Bicycle Friendly Community (BFC) awards for their leadership and investment in infrastructure, education and outreach that enables and inspires people to ride bikes." more...
- GA: Atlanta City Council OKs transportation plan
- HI: Bikeshare Hawaii installs 33 new Biki docking stations
- TX: Waco city council including scooters in bike share program
- TN: Explore Bike Share Cranks 25K Rides in Six Months
- LA: Baton Rouge bike-share program should be ready by St. Patrick's Day
- FL: Police release 911 calls in Cycling Family Broward tragedy/a>
- TX: Smash and Grab at Fort Worth Bicycle Shop
- MD: Lime to debut dockless bicycles in Baltimore
- WAL: BLT appeals
- MN:DNR stands firm on Fall River bike trail bridge
- NY: Why is county rushing to build Onondaga Lake trail on toxic land?
- CA: Money allocated for CR98 bike route and charging stations
- CO: Partnership delivers long-awaited trail link
- ND: Someone plowed the Greenway, and local leaders aren't happy
Work Underway on River Trail Extension
‘Sierah’s Law’ passes Ohio House
Columbus, OH - "...In 2016, 20-year-old Sierah Joughin of Fulton County was riding her bike when she was attacked, kidnapped and murdered...." more
Pittsburgh Bike Share Expanding
PA - "...The nonprofit program, which allows users to rent bikes for $2 per half-hour at one location and drop them off at another, installed its 100th station last week and expects to expand to 175 next spring..." more
Bike League Changes its Bike Friendly State Report Cards
WA - "Perhaps tired of handing the top honors to a barely-deserving Washington State year after year, the League of American Bicyclists changed its annual state-by-state rankings into a set of 50 individual report cards that track each state’s progress..." more
Denver May Force Scooters into Bike Lanes
CO - "...the city may change where people ride scooters and tweak the 'pilot' program that has allowed several companies to deploy hundreds of scooters and bikes here." more...
Portland Ponders Transportation Data Tool
OR - "A powerful new data collection tool has local transportation agencies salivating." more...
- FL: Bike ride aims to promote traffic safety and awareness of bicyclists
- FL: Residents take to Facebook to ask city leaders for sidewalks and safer streets
- NM: Number of people hit by cars skyrockets
- GA: Introducing: Bike Walk Savannah
- GA: Macon-Bibb joins 'Vision Zero' initiative
- OR: Now you can donate Biketown credits
- CA: San Diego approves $2.3M for bike network 'missing link'
- NM: City aims to stop drivers from using new bike-ped crossing
- CAN: Flood-damaged bike trail reopens in Gatineau
- NJ: Brick Seeks Bids to Add Another Mile to Bike Trail
- CO: Funds in place to finish trai
- MA: Rockland Rail Trail final section to be completed next week
- WA: Leary Way is the common-sense route for Burke-Gilman’s missing link
The Red Line Greenway Plan
Cleveland, OH - "...a big part of the reason the project has already gotten millions of dollars in federal grants is because it reconnects parts of Cleveland that have become disconnected over time." more...
Chesterfield Open to Greenway Plan
IN - "Chesterfield and Daleville are on board to collaborate on the Mounds Greenway project going through the two towns." more...
Explore Bike Share Maps Show Bike Ride Data
TN - "Explore Bike Share riders have taken more than 25,000 trips since the system launched six months ago, and a new series of maps shows exactly where those riders have been." more...
The War for 35th Avenue
Seattle, WA - "...As first reported by The C Is for Crank, the future of a safe street redesign is in the hands of Mayor Jenny Durkan." more...
Cyclist Rides to Doctor with Knife in his Head
"The attack occurred on the same South African road where two riders were assaulted the week before." more...
Judge Regulates Performance Bike Sales Tactics
Durham, NC - "A U.S. bankruptcy judge has ruled that a liquidator company may not promote sales at some Performance Bicycle locations as 'Store Closing,' 'Going Out of Business,' 'Liquidation Sale,' 'Bankruptcy Sale' or similarly themed sale events..." more
- WA: Seattle has only built about 4% of its 2018 bike lane goal
- LA: Damaged, missing cycling awareness signs to be replaced
- WA: Is the Yakima Greenway being steamrolled by city council?
- VA: Long Bridge expansion will add new railroad tracks and a bike trail
- CA: Suspect Arrested After Man Shot, Killed Along Bike Trail
- UT: Snow Bikes Not Welcome On Basin Trail
- MN: Plan to develop corridor linking old Ford plant site to downtown St. Paul
- FL: 11 of the Tampa Bay area’s most treacherous intersections for bicyclists
- NY: Final Route 9 Bike Study Moving Ahead
- NY: Columbia County unsure of $2 million trail project on Hudson Landfill
- SC: York County prepares to buy $21 million green space along Catawba River
- NZL: Bike trail group wants MP's views ignored
- TX: Pilot program charges bike companies to use popular Austin trails
- AUS: Canberra key to Monaro rail trail’s potential tourism
Ohio-to-Erie Trail Set to Grow Near Sunbury
Delaware County, OH - "Preservation Parks of Delaware County has added 3.7 miles to what eventually will be about 15 miles of the Ohio to Erie Trail running through the southeast corner of the county." more...
Heartland Trail Paving (Photos)
Sewer Pipe Project along Alum Creek Trail
Philly Looks to NYC for Safer Streets
NYC - "Members of Philadelphia City Council visited here to determine whether this city's successful traffic enforcement efforts could work in Philly." more...
Delivering Mail with Cargo Bikes on UW Campus
WA - "...UW is the first campus in the country to move to delivering mail via electric bikes..." more
Entrepreneurs can Manage their Own Fleet of E-Scooters
"Bird announced today that it will sell its electric scooters to entrepreneurs and small business owners, who can then rent them out as part of a new service called Bird Platform." more...
Cycling to the Airport
"...Other airports around the country have also become bicycle accessible, among them Baltimore-Washington and the airports in San Diego and Portland, Ore..." more
The Bid to Shutdown London's Flagship Bike Lane
UK - "A new group supported by the Canary Wharf Group property company and lorry, coach and taxi drivers is attacking one of the city’s most popular routes." more...
- ESP: Pedestrian killed by electric scooter rider
- OR: PBOT to request $6M for Safe Routes to School projects
- LA: How New Orleans’ new bike registration will work
- FL: 2nd cyclist has died after being hit by a distracted driver during group ride
- CAN: Banff subsidizes studded tires to encourage winter cycling
Detroit Bike Share hits 237K Rides
MI - "Detroit's public bike share system, MoGo, has been used for more than 237,000 rides since its launch last year despite the introduction of electric scooters in the city." more...
Trade Truce Means New Tariffs on Hold for 60 Days
"...The round of goods that would have been subject to the 25 percent tariffs includes most bike products made in China, including complete bikes, frames, wheels and other components and accessories. It does not affect lights, helmets, shoes or apparel, however." more...
Liquidator Running Sales at Performance Bike
"The company hired to run liquidation sales at 40 Performance Bicycle stores last month has expanded those sales to the chain's 62 remaining stores." more...
How Trail Organizations Spend Money
"...Singletracks looked at a few different ways that organizations raise money for [mountain bike] trail building." more...
- OR: What’s in store for Portland bike share?
- ISR: New bike trails inaugurated in Tel Aviv
- CO: Stormwater project a new playground for fat bikers
- UT: Summit County Council at odds over funding for Rail Trail study
- CA: What’s the actual cost of the rail-trail?
Commissioners Open Bids for Stavich Trail Paving
Big Data Through Bicycle Lights
"...Along with his wife he created a tech company that put sensors on bikes, sensors that would not just plot journeys but also measure road roughness so city planners would know where smoother asphalt is needed " more...
How E-Bikes can make City Streets Safer
"E-bikes are a game-changer for the people who need them most." more...
Drivers Give Cyclists Wearing a Helmet Less Room
"...He rode the same stretches of road with and without a helmet, and with and without a wig to make him look like a woman..." more
- CA: Man Fatally Shot In Broad Daylight Along Bike Trail
- CA: New Trail in Black Mountain Open Space Park
- CO: Proposed Mountain Bike Connector Trail Moves Forward
- IRE: €2.7m funding for County Limerick greenway
- WA: Community invited to celebrate new greenway connection
Heartland Trail Construction Progress
Marshallville, OH - "Construction on the trail has continued into late November with cold and wet weather slowing the progress. Still, beginning at Marshallville, nearly half of the trail has the stone base in place and it is ready for asphalt..."
For more info, read the Wayne County December Newsletter.
For more news, visit the 2018 Archive.